Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

January 18, 1910


Horse Smashes Through Plate Glass
Window and Damages Stock.

Frightened by a passing automobile, a blind horse attached to the market wagon of Maurice Abramovitz, a vegetable peddler, stampeded and did $300 worth of damage to J. E. Biles' shoe store at 21 East Fifth street, yesterday morning. The horse freed itself from the shafts of the wagon and broke through a $150 plate glass window into the store and badly damaged the stock.

Labels: , , , ,

December 22, 1909



Crowds Down Town at Night -- Fire
Department Playthings Most
Popular, Patrol Wagons
and Aeroplanes Next.

The announcement posted early that most of the big department stores would be open evenings this week up to Friday night inclusive brought the usual Christmas crowds to the down town districts last night in all the stores people who had braved the crisp winter air to be present with their shopping bags meant business.

The department stores which did not open last night were Emery, Bird, Thayer's, John Taylor's and Bernheimer's. The music stores did not close and while the crowds in them were only comfortably dense their sales were large from the viewpoint of the money taken in.

Some of the heavy sellers among toys last night were mechanical fire department outfits, patrol wagons and flying machines of different patterns.

Fire engines and hose wagons, toy salesmen say, have always been favorites. This is because a fire is spectacular and exciting and inviting to the imagination of old and young people alike. A child is most apt to get the toy in his stocking Christmas Eve that his elders enjoy and appreciate, they say, and so the manufacturers try to please both. Patrol wagons have always sold next to fire apparatus until this year.

Now they are running a distant third with miniatures of Wright's invention in full working order and capable of making short flights running close to first.

The theory of all toy shopmen interviewed last night was that little boys and girls might appreciate a good many gifts more than a flying machine, but that their parents, brothers, sisters and other relatives are anxious to see how the machine works.

Labels: , , ,

December 19, 1909



Town Helpless as Conflagration
Gets Beyond Control, Following
Pump of Volunteer Firemen
Breaking -- Damage $65,000.

Lee's Summit, twenty-five miles southeast of Kansas City, unable to cope with a fire which threatened the business section last night, appealed to Kansas City for aid and a special train, carrying a fire engine and hose reel, went out over the Missouri Pacific at 11:45 o'clock, nearly two hours later.

The fire started from a stove, which was located over the M. A. Kinney grocery store. In a few minutes the entire business section of the town seemed doomed. By midnight three business buildings were badly burned and two others were damaged.

T. M. George, a real estate dealer, was overcome by the heat, but was rescued and revived. No other injuries were reported.

The Lee's Summit fire department was badly handicapped. The company had only a gasoline pump with which to work. Water was pumped from a public well. Two streams of water were being directed on the fire when the pump broke and the volunteers were rendered helpless. The Kansas City's aid was sought.


A special train was made up of two flat cars and one caboose. The fire engine and reel was from No. 1 station. Nine men were taken along from Company 16 with Assistant Chief Alex Henderson in charge.

The special train reached Lee's Summit at 1 o'clock this morning. when the Kansas Cityans arrived the entire population of Lee's Summit, numbering 2,000, out fighting the fire in their helpless way, cheered wildly. The engine and reel were unloaded at once on skids and in fifteen minutes a big stream was being played on the fire. the water from the old mill pond was used.

The flames were checked rapidly by the Kansas City firemen, and the impending complete destruction of the business district was prevented.

The entire stock and goods of the M. A. Kinney company, in whose building the fire started, were completely destroyed. The flames spread to the building belonging to J. D. Ocker, which was occupied by his stock of furniture and hardware.


The entire building was destroyed, including Mr. Ocker's complete stock of goods, and also the offices and fixtures of Dr. J. C. Hall, who occupied the floor above.

The fire next caught at the Citizens' National bank and the building and all the fixtures and property were consumed except the fire-proof vaults.

The J. P. McKisson building located east of the burned block was saved by the valiant work of the volunteer fire department, under the command of H. Lewis. The volunteers had played their streams on this building until the breaking of the apparatus.

One business block was practically saved. In this was the W. B. Howard Clothing store occupying the ground floor and the Bell telephone company on the floor above.

The loss of the Bell telephone company exceeds $3,000 although the local office was but slightly damaged. Only a week ago the company had rewired the town.

All connections and cables were burned and the service completely destroyed. W. B. Howard, cashier of the Citizens State bank declared that his business was the only one affected entirely covered by insurance.


In the Citizen's Bank building, where the Kansas City firemen finally checked the fire, were located the offices of Keupp & Kimball, a real estate firm, and also the rooms of the city council. All the records and papers of the city were stored in the city rooms, and were a complete loss.

The Kansas City firemen directed two streams of hose on this building and within twenty minutes had the fire put out. There was plenty of pressure and 1,200 feet of hose were used.

The loss will aggregate $65,000. The damage to the buildings was estimated at $15,000, while conservative estimates place the damage to the goods at $50,000. M. A. Kinney carried $1,000 insurance on both his stock and his building.

J. R. Leinweber, president of the bank at Lee's Summit, announced immediately after the fire that plans would be taken for an early re-building of the bank building. The bank is capitalized at $26,000 and has a surplus of $15,000. Its deposits at the last quarterly statement were $108,00. All the valuable papers and bonds held by the bank were deposited in the fire-proof safety vaults, which were uninjured by the fire.

Labels: , , , , ,

December 8, 1909



Elevator Operators, Ages 17, 19 and
21, in Downtown Dry Goods
Store, Are Arrested -- Youngest
Weeps, Others Indifferent.
Louis Dye, Ralph Clyne and Harry Shay, Suspects in the Spangler Murder.
Three Suspects Held by Police for Spangler Murder and Recent Holdups.
(Sketched at Police Headquarters Last Night.)

Working on the "boy bandit" theory, the police yesterday evening arrested three youths, two of whom were identified as having shot and killed M. A. Spangler and wounded Sam Spangler, his son, in their saloon at Twentieth street and Grand avenue on the morning of November 23. Their names are Louis Dye, 21 years old; Ralph Clyne, 19, and Harry Shay, 17. All are employed as elevator operators in a down town dry goods store. Dye is a bridegroom.

The arrest was made at 5:30 o'clock by Captain Walter Whitsett and Plain Clothes Officers E. M. Smith and E. L. Maston.


The officers visited the store in company with several recent victims of holdups and rode in the elevators with the boys as they were at work. They were arrested and taken to police headquarters. Albert Ackerman, 502 1/2 Wyandotte street, the man who was in the Spangler saloon at the time of the shooting, was summoned and in Captain Whitsett's office identified Dye and Clyne as the two who shot up the saloon.

"That's the fellow that had the gun," Ackerman stated, pointing at Dye. "The other fellow was with him. Of course they are dressed differently now, but there is no mistaking their faces."

Four others who have been robbed recently visited police headquarters in the evening and in every case identified the boys.


W. S. McCann, a druggist, living at 1405 East Tenth street, identified Dye and Clyne as the two men who attempted to rob his store at Twenty-seventh street and Agnes avenue on the night of November 25. He said they went in the store, and that Clyne pointed a revolver at his head while Dye attempted to rob the cash register. When he showed fight they fired four shots at him and ran. He thinks that Harry Shay is the man that was left outside as a look out.

Miss Stella Sweet, 529 Brooklyn avenue, and Mrs. C. L. Flaugh, 629 Brooklyn avenue, who were held up Thanksgiving night on the steps of the Admiral Boulevard Congregational church, identified all three of the boys as the robbers.

Edward C. Smith of the Smith-McCord-Townsend Dry Goods Company declared that the three boys had robbed him on Thirty-sixth street, between Locust and Cherry streets, on the night of December 3. They took a pocket book containing a Country Club bond for $100. At that time they had handkerchiefs tied over their faces, but Smith was sure that he recognized them.


Captain Whitsett made no attempt to cross-examine the boys last night, but ordered them locked up until this morning when they will be confronted by further witnesses, the chief of whom will be Sam Spangler, who was discharged from the general hospital yesterday. The prosecutor's office was notified and representatives will be on hand today to take their statements.

"I am sure that we have got the right men this time," stated Captain Whitsett. "They answer the description of the gang that have been doing all the robbing lately, and I am sure that it was they that held up Joseph B. Shannon last week."

None of the boys would make any statement except that they were strangers in town, only having been working for a week. During the identification process both Dye and Clyne showed indifference, while the younger boy, Shay, broke down and cried.

Dye lives at 1921 Oakland, Shay at 1242 Broadway and Clyne at 1710 East Thirteenth street. Dye was married three weeks ago, shortly before the Spangler murder.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

September 13, 1909



J. E. Stivers Arrested on Charge of
Damaging Property from Fifth
to Thirteenth Street --
Denies He Is Vandal.

All records in plate glass window cutting were broken last night by J. E. Stivers, a candymaker for the Loose-Wiles Cracker and Candy Company. In years past the record in Kansas City has been a few straggling windows, entailing a cost of from $300 to $400, but Stivers's cutting began at Thirteenth street and Grand avenue and he carried the line of march to Main street and down that street to Fifth, where he was arrested. In all, Stivers damaged sixty-three plate glass windows. If the glass has to be replaced, the total cost would not fall short of $5,000, it is estimated. Most of the places which suffered most carry plate glass insurance.

Edward Clark, recently appointed a Gamewell operator at the Walnut street police station, saw Stivers when he made his first cut on a plate glass window at the Ayres Clothing Company, 1309 Grand avenue. He followed him to Main street, along Thirteenth and down Main to Fifth, seeing him use a 1/4 karat diamond ring on all of the most valuable windows along Main street. It did not occur to Clark to make an arrest. The arrest took place while Stivers was making a final slash at a large window of the Hub Clothing Company at Fifth and Main streets. Herman Hartman, a police officer, chanced to be passing and arrested the culprit.

After leaving Thirteenth and Grand, Stivers made his way to Main street, where he wrote his initials on a glazed monument of the M. H. Rice Monument Company at that point. It was shortly after 9 p. m. when he reached Jones' Dry Goods Company's store and many persons were on the street so he succeeded in cutting but seven of the valuable windows. Some of them are cut so deeply that a tap would knock out part of the glass.

Stivers' route from here was made by jumps, he evidently passing some places on account of the night crowds. He missed most of the stores in the block between Eleventh and Twelfth streets on Main. Altogether, he damaged the windows of more than thirty clothiers, milliners, saloons, flower shops, fortune tellers and other retailers and unoccupied buildings.

When Stilvers began by the Jones Dry Goods Company, when his diamond was in good working order, he appears to have done the greatest damage.

When seen in the holdover after his arrest, Stivers was awakened from a stupor. He told who he was and said he had been working for the Loose-Wiles company for twenty years. He is now 22 years old.

"If any of those windows are damaged I did not do it," he said.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

September 1, 1909


Children's Play Room and Shoe De-
partment Opens at Robinson's.

With the opening today of Robinson's new shoe department for children, the girls and boys of Kansas City will be presented with one of the finest "playgrounds" they have ever known. A merry-go-round, swings, whirligigs, a slippery slide, punching bags, hobby-horses, and a great big rocking boat -- all built especially safe and strong, will be turned over to the children to romp and play while their mammas buy their shoes.

And the parents, too, will be interested in this new shoe department for children, for it is a big store in itself, occupying one entire floor and filled from floor to ceiling with an immense stock of children's footwear of every description.

All parents are cordially invited to bring the children today, to see the new playroom. They will be welcomed whether they need shoes or not, and a Japanese toy will be given free to every child.

Labels: , ,

May 19, 1909


Interesting Demonstration by Son of
the Manufacturer.

There has been going on all week at the Bunting-Stone hardware company's store, 804-806 Walnut street, a particularly interesting demonstration of the celebrated Bohn Syphon refrigerators. The demonstration will continue till the end of the week and is in charge of Will R. Bohn, son of the inventor and manufacturer, who is on a tour of the principal cities of the country. Mr. Bohn is treasurer of the company, whose headquarters are at St. Paul. He is a specially pleasant gentleman, who backs up his enthusiasm for his wares with a record that would be difficult to excel. Dryness is the prominent features of the Bohn refrigerators but there is nothing "dry" about Mr. Bohn's demonstrations.

The Bohn refrigerators are in use on all the railroads of America, Mexico and Canada, and in exclusive use on the Pullman system, the Fred Harvey, and Rock Island eating systems. A more significant indorsement of their merits would be hard to require. They are turned out in St. Paul at the rate of from 1,000 to 1,500 per month and have been on the market for about ten years, their popularity increasing each year. The syphon system prevents condensation on articles in the refrigerator and thus keeps them perfectly dry all the time, the air having complete access to all parts of the box and the condensation being centered on the ice. This obviates all "clamminess" and at the same time prevents the unpleasant mixture of odors. Cheese may be kept next to cake and bacon in the same compartment with strawberries, as an example.

Mr. Bohn is fond of demonstrating the exceeding dryness of his refrigerators with this experiment: He soaks matches in water and in five hours after being placed in the refrigerator they are dry enough to strike. This dryness is accompanied by specially low temperature, which is another strong feature of the Bohn, a uniform temperature of from 38 to 48 degrees being maintained at all times. The demonstration has attracted hundreds of housekeepers this week.

Labels: , , , , ,

March 16, 1909


New Structure on Site Formerly Oc-
cupied by T. M. James & Son.

Ground is being cleared for the construction of Langston Bacon's new five-story building to be occupied by the Woolf Brothers Furnishing Goods Company at 1020-22 Walnut street. The contract for the ten-year lease of the building by Woolf Brothers was closed yesterday by Blanchert & Kipp, who were agents in the transaction. The tenants will move in about August 15. Although only five stories will be built at first, the foundation will be so constructed as to carry three additional floors.

The present building was occupied by T. M. James & Sons who were burned out February 11. Woolf Brothers, who have been in business in Kansas City for thirty years, will pay an annual rental of $20,000, or a total of $200,000 for ten years' use of the building.

Root & Siemens are the architects.

Labels: , , ,

March 9, 1909



Police Searching for Mysterious
Female, Who Used Hypnotism on
Domestic and Got All the
Money She Had.

A mysterious "woman in black," purporting to be a cousin of Gypsy Smith, has been reported to the police by one of her victims, Mary Anderson, 1836 Pendleton avenue, a domestic in the employ of J. L. DeLong, as having muleted her of $130 after advising her to draw the money out of the bank. The woman claimed to be a fortune teller, possessing the marvelous powers of foresight, and told Miss Anderson that unless she withdrew her deposit before March 5 it would be lost.

Friends of the girl believe the woman to have been a hypnotist, the girl's story of her experience with the "seeress" seeming to bear out this belief. The money is supposed to have been taken by the woman while she and Miss Anderson were in one of the waiting rooms at Emery, Bird, Thayer's store on Walnut street.


"The woman first came to the ho use on Monday afternoon a week ago and asked to be allowed to tell my sister's fortune," said the girl yesterday, "but, as my sister does not understand English well enough to carry on a conversation, I was approached. I told her I did not have time to talk to her and didn't want my fortune told, anyway.

"The next afternoon the woman appeared again and this time she insisted upon reading my hand. She told me that my people in the old country were having some trouble with their property and that all was not well with them. This was true and I began to put some credence in what she told me. Then she declared that the property would be lost and that there would much trouble come of it.

"After telling me this she looked right at me and said that I had money in the bank. 'You had better be careful of that, too,' she said, 'for I can see that you are going to have trouble with it. That institution will fail before March 5, and if your money is not out by that time you will lose it.' She then asked me how much I had and I told her I did not think it was any of her business. 'I know how much it is,' she declared, 'you have $130 or $150 in t he bank, but you had better take it out.' "


The victim of the plot, after this seeming marvelous revelation of "powers," made an excuse the next day and went down to the bank and drew out her $130, her saving of more than seven months, the money that was to bring relief and help to her family across the ocean, and help to bring another sister from Sweden to America. She had lost some of her savings once before when a bank failed three years ago.

At the office of the bank the "woman in black" was waiting, but Miss Anderson says she was not there when she came out with the money.

"I had my money tied up in a handkerchief and that inside a leather handbag I carried," she said. I walked into Emery, Bird, Thayer's and went up to the waiting room. Here I met the woman again and she came to me and said, 'What , you again? I am glad to see you.' "

Sitting down to a table by themselves, the two women, according to the girl's story, began to talk . The "woman in black" began by asking the girl if she had been to hear Gypsy Smith. A reply in the negative brought a torrent of upbraidings. The woman declared she would suffer the torments of hell and the fires of everlasting damnation if she did not change her ways, and live the right life, as set forth in the teachings of the revivalist. She urged the girl to go with her to Convention hall, but this she would not do.


"I experienced the queerest sensation all the time the woman talked," she said. "Her beady black eyes seemed to burn into mine, and I could not take my eyes away from hers. I kept saying to myself, 'You cannot get my money, you cannot get my money.' And then she asked me to give it to her, saying she would return it to me the next day. I asked her if she thought I was crazy, and she told me that she thought I was one of the brightest girls she had ever known.

"She left me saying 'God bless you, I'll see you tomorrow.' and went out of the room. I did not get up for a moment, and when I did try I could hardly stand on my feet. I felt dazed and sleepy, and thought I should not be able to get home. There was no one in the room during all the time we were in there together. It was not until after I was on the street car on my way home that I noticed the money was gone."


The police were notified of the occurrence, but so far nothing definite has been learned. Several persons in the neighborhood of Pendleton avenue saw the "woman in black," and declared she had tried to gain entrance to a numnber of residences on the plea of telling fortunes. She is described as wearing a black hat with several large black plumes, a black skirt and a black cloak reaching about to the knee. Her expression is said to be unpleasant and forbidding, the beady black eyes which stare at you directly seem to fascinate against the will, make the face repellent.

The woman told Miss Anderson that she lived in a tent in Kansas City, Kas., in the old Electric park, and that she was gypsy and still kept to the traditions of her race.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

February 12, 1908



Morning Fire Guts Walnut Street
Bulding -- T. M. James & Sons Suf-
fer Loss of $85,000 -- Aggre-
gate Damage, $170,000.

The alertness and bravery of Firemen William Pahlman and John Hughes probably saved Mrs. E. A. Johnson, her two daughters, Anna and Pearl, and her son, Forrest, from suffocation as the result of a fire at 1020-1022 Walnut street at 3:30 o'clock yesterday morning, when a blaze from an unknown origin ate its way through a four-story building, gutting it, and almost completely ruining the rich stock of T. M. James & Sons, dealers in china and glassware. A dozen other firms suffered, and the total loss is estimated at $170,000.

It was after the firemen had turned water on the building occupied by T. M. James & Sons that a woman's head was seen protruding from a window on the fourth floor of the Owen building, adjoining the burning structure.

Dense volumes of smoke were pouring through the four floors of this building, and the woman, almost prostrated from fright, yelled for help.


Pahlman and Hughes started up the stairway of the Owen building, but were hampered by the smoke and gas. It was with extreme difficulty that they reached the fourth floor, where they found Mrs. Johnson and her family terror stricken and unable to find their way from the building.

Mrs. Johnson, almost overcome, was carried downstairs to safety, the children remaining, so that the firemen could bring blankets with which to protect them from the fire and weather. These were secured, and on the second trip Pahlman and Hughes carried the remaining three from the building.

The fire was discovered in the rear of the James store by H. A. Stafford, a watchman. The first company arrived on the scene three minutes after the fire was reported. A general alarm was turned in, and all but three crews responded.


The loss of T. M. James & Sons is placed at $85,000, with $70,000 insurance. The building was built twenty-five years ago, and was owned by Langston Bacon. The loss was $30,000 and insurance $23,500.

The Kansas City Mantel Company, another occupant, lost $30,000, with insurance of $19,000. The Hewson building, next door, was damaged to the extent of 8,000, covered by insurance. Johnny Kling's billiard room, on the second floor of the Hewson building, was water soaked, and suffered a loss of $2,000. The Davis photograph studio, on the fifth floor of the Hewson building, was damaged to the extent of $2,500. The Carter Pleating Company, on the same floor, lost $2,500 and carried $1,500 insurance.

In the Owen building, the gymnasium of the Women's Athletic Club was filled with smoke. A piano and many rugs were ruined, and the varnish on the gynmastic apparatus scorched.

The loss to the building, which is owned by J. C. Williams and leased to Ball & Thwing, was $5,000, covered by insurance.

The piano house of Waite & Sons, on the third floor, was damaged to the extent of $1,500. The Acme Amusement Association club rooms, on the second floor, were slightly damaged. Taft's dental rooms, on the second floor, were damaged by water. The damage to the clothing house of J. B. Reichle, on the first floor, amounts to $2,000, covered by insurance.

Langston Bacon will begin rebuilding at once.

Labels: , ,

February 2, 1909



Clothing Firm Carried Insurance of
$100,000 -- Plan Seven-Story
Steel Structure to Replace
Burned Building.
Rothschild's Corner is Gutted By Fire.


Rothschild & Sons.........$120,000
A. A. Pearson, building and stock.......$1,000
A. D. Mitchell, photographer....$100
Dr. He Ly Yuen......$50
Damage to building......#30,000

Insurance, $131,000

Property valued at $150,000 was destroyed by a fire which started in the basement of the old three-story brick building at the southwest corner of Tenth and Main streets at 9 o'clock last night.

The entire stock of Rothschild & Sons, clothiers, valued at $120,000, was practically ruined; the building, owned jointly by J. S. Loose and the Soden estate, and valued at $30,000, was gutted, and its walls will have to be torn down; the Mitchell studio, on the third floor in the north wing of the building, was destroyed, and the outfit of Dr. Ho Ly Yeun, a Chinese physician, went with the flames.

A. A. Pearson's millinery stock at 1010 Main street was also slightly damaged by water.

It was one of the quickest and most ferocious fires that the Kansas City department has ever had to combat. The alarm came in from three sources at 9:05 o'clock. It was five minutes before the first fire engine arrived. The fire, first sighted on the third floor, near the elevator shaft, quickly ate its way to the lower floor, and before the firemen had started water on the building the inside of the clothing store was enwrapped in flames.


A general alarm was turned in, but the fire had gained such headway that the Chief Egner's men found that they could do nothing but confine the flames to the one building. That poor water pressure hampered the earlier efforts of the firemen is attested by persons who were on the ground when the flames were discovered. R. J. Quarles, a retired banker, who was at the scene, says that it was fully five minutes before a company arrived, and that it was another five minutes before water was thrown into the building, and then only a weak stream.

The only accident recorded was a minor one, Chief J. F. Pelletier of the insurance patrol running a sliver into his right hand while directing his men inside the Rothschild store.


Members of hose companies Nos. 4, 5 and 6, were on the roof of the building when the structure began to creak, and Chief Egner ordered them to move to the next roof. His order was given none too soon, for a minute later the roof fell in.

Thousands gathered to witness the spectacle, and several hundred went home with clothing thoroughly drenched. A hose attached to an engine in front of the United cigar store, at the northwest corner of Tenth and Main streets, burst suddenly , and a score of persons standing in front of the cigar shop were soaked with water.

Twenty-one fire companies lent their efforts toward putting down the flames, but with this force it was long after midnight before the fire was completely under control.


Rothschild & Sons carried $100,000 insurance on their stock, and Frank Ferguson of the insurance firm of Ferguson & Taft, sitting in his office in the Dwight building, Tenth and Baltimore, saw the flames and was one of the men to turn in an alarm. U. B. Hart, a Pinkerton patrolman, turned in an alarm about the same time as did John W. Schroeder, bookkeeper for Rothschild's, who was in the store.

Louis P. Rothschild, resident member of the firm, says that they had only recently reduced their insurance policies now aggregating about $100,000. The Mitchell Studio was fully protected.

Rothschild & Sons had a ninety-nine year lease on the Soden property, and sublet to the other tenants. The clothing store occupied the three floors of what was known as the old building, 1000 and 1008 Main street, and the first floor of the corner building.


Originally the old building, fronting fifty-two feet on Main street, was two stories in height. This building was erected by J. S. Loose. The adjoining building at the corner had a frontage of twenty-three feet on Main street, and was erected by the late Peter Soden. The two buildings were remodeled into a sort of a combination structure and a third story added.

Louis P. Rothschild said his firm had contemplated razing the building at an early date, and erecting a steel structure in its place. This idea will now be carried out, the plans providing for a seven-story building, to cost $200,000.

The safe containing $3,000 in cash, as well as all the books and records of the Rothschild firm, was unharmed.

The firm of Rothschild & Sons was established in Fort Leavenworth fifty-five years ago, and last night's fire was the first in the history of the firm. They moved to Kansas City in 1901.

Labels: , , , , , ,

January 24, 1909


Fred Wolferman to Celebrate Round-
ing Out of Two Decades.

This week will be somewhat commemorable with housewives and those whose province it is to supply the larder, for Fred Wolferman's grocers and wine merchants at 1108-1110 Walnut street are to celebrate a 20th anniversary.

Old residents of Kansas City remember the early Wolferman's store at the corner of Ninth and Oak streets, where it remained for seven years. Later the concern moved to Walnut street and finally as business expanded, took in the store room next to it.

The Fred Wolferman store has never in any way before featured anniversaries or held "special sales," so that the unusual displays of merchandise in package and other form, and many rare and interesting "Good Things to Eat" shown will undoubtedly draw much favorable attention. Prices have been reduced on many articles for the first five days of this week.

Labels: , , , , ,

December 24, 1908



All the Children Need Do Tomorrow
Is Apply at Convention Hall.
There's Plenty for

Convention hall yesterday resembled many lines of business. In one section where all the bananas and oranges were being placed into sacks, it looked something like a fruit packing establishment. Another section resembled candy packers at work, while still another had to do with the sorting and arranging of toys. It had the appearance of one great combined establishment where every line of goods was handled and everybody was busy.

There was a rumor out yesterday that the gifts were to be only for white children. This is wrong, as the committee says the color line will not be drawn. Poor negro children are to be made happy, too, and they are all invited.

At the close of the evening the first 2,500 bags to be given out on Christmas day to the children who attend the mayor's Christmas tree, were well filled, sorted for boys and girls and placed in position. The other 2,500 will be packed today. Women from the different charitable organizations were doing most of the work.

It was discovered when it came to placing the trees in position that five would take up too much room and that the decorating of them would take up entirely too much time -- in fact that it would be an imposition on the Squires Electrical Company, which his donating the labor. Something had to be done on the spur of the moment, so the committee in charge decided that two large trees would be sufficient, as no presents are to be placed on the trees anyway. The two large evergreens were placed in position in the center of the hall about noon yesterday and by evening the men from the electrical company had finished stringing the colored lights. They were tested just after dark and found to be in perfect working order. Today the tinsel and other decorations will be strung under the supervision of the women who have the matter in charge.


Some of the toys bought by the committee are really expensive and of fine workmanship. There will be enough to place a good and a cheap toy in each bag.

Among the toys are several mechanical banks where a coin is placed in the mouth of an animal, which immediately devours it. A carpenter connected with the hall tried one of them Tuesday night with a dime -- the last coin he had, too, by the way. It was swallowed and the carpenter walked home. Several others were caught on the same trick yesterday, and some poor child -- no one knows who it will be -- will find some news in his bank.

A large wagon load of toys and useful things such as baby carriages, bicycles, wagons, etc., arrived yesterday from Montgomery Wart & Co. They will be distributed in homes where they are most needed the day after Christmas.

The Long Bros. Grocery Company sent two dozen big dressed dolls. They will also be given out at the homes, as will 200 pairs of baby stockings donated by The Baby Shop, 202 Lillis building. The wholesale dry goods merchants, besides other donations, sent two large boxes of boys' and girls' socks, stockings, gloves and mittens to the hall yesterday, and the Faxon & Gallagher Drug Company sent three big boxes of toys.


Grocery stores are still responding liberally, and one room which has been set aside at the hall looks like a general store. Among the donations are bunches of fresh celery and a lot of onions. Several big jack rabbits were also received. The George B. Peck Dry Goods Company sent a lot of fancy toys and two caddies of assorted candy. The Loose-Wiles Candy and Cracker Company's wagon arrived with six caddies of assorted candies. The Coal Dealers' Association donated $150 in cash and many of its members said they stood ready to deliver coal to families where it was most needed.

Two women waited on the outside of the hall for a long while yesterday morning. They seemed to want something, but were afraid to go in and ask. Finally Steve Sedweek approached them and asked if they wanted anything.

"Yes, we do," said one of them. "We are poor and have nothing for Christmas. We read in The Journal where all poor children would be welcomed here. I have seven and this woman has five. We want to know how to get them in h ere, and if all can come."

"Just you bring all you have and all you can find in the neighborhood, or in any other neighborhood," instructed Mr. Sedweek. "Bring them right here to the hall and they will be given tickets and admitted."

"And I know of others, too," said the first woman who had spoken.

"That's what it is for," they were told, "bring fifty if you can find them, and each one will be made happy.


Many children flocked about the hall yesterday asking where they could get tickets that would admit them to the mayor's Christmas tree. They were told to be there Christmas afternoon -- with all their playmates -- and that tickets would be given them. Many of them stole timidly into the rotunda of the hall and took a peek through the cracks at what was going on. They would run away ever time any of the grown ups put in an appearance, afraid they would be corrected for it. But they had seen a little of the glories that are to come, anyway, and they left happy.

The work of distributing groceries, clothing and toys to the homes will take place Saturday, and even on Monday, if it is not completed. Letters asking aid are arriving fast.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

December 15, 1908


To See the Yearning of Poor Chil-
dren for Expensive Toys.

The shop girl seemed preoccupied when she was asked to show her line of dolls. "Tired?" asked the sympathetic purchaser.

"No. I was just thinking. Christmas ain't such a happy time as most people imagine it. Why, I am feeling blue about half the time at Christmas. Kids and toy departments don't bring smiles, not by a good deal.

"Oh, why I thought --"

"Um! Everybody thinks unless they know. Do you see that big engine up there on the top shelf? It costs $15, and every youngster in town wants it the minute his eyes light upon it. That little fellow in the brown coat over there is just crazy about it. His mother has had to bring him in three times already to look at it. And look at her! Why, she couldn't afford to spend even $1 on a toy engine.

" 'Say, mother,' he said, 'take a good look at that there engine, 'cause that's the kind I want Santa Claus to bring me.'

"She nodded.

" 'Now you'll be sure, mother,' he insisted. 'You know that's the kind I asked for last year, and he left me just that little tin thing. I do want an iron engine, mother.'

"And 'mother' looked as though she would give anything in the world to get it for him. But Christmas morning that kid will find a tin engine. I happen to know.

"If that toy isn't sold within the next few day, I'm going to ask the manager to cover it up or hide it. Otherwise I'll die of heartache long before Christmas."

Labels: , , ,

December 12, 1908


Wolferman's Cream Cheese Is the
Largest Ever in Kansas City.
Mammoth Cheese on Display at Fred Wolferman's
Gargantuan Cream Cheese Shipped to Kansas City from Pennsylvania.

The mammoth Crawford county, Pennsylvania cream cheese which has been on display at Fred Wolferman's on Walnut street will be cut today. The cheese was so large that trained safe movers were found necessary to move the cheese and the glass had to be removed from the store's display window to get it in the shop.

If all is disposed of today its tremendous weight will make for lively selling. To sell a cheese tipping the scales at 2,207 pounds in the course of the 14 hours the store will be open today, Wolferman's would need to sell a pound every 20 seconds, or three pounds a minute. The cream cheese sells for 30 cents a pound.

Labels: , , ,

December 8, 1908



Widely Known for His Integrity and
Honor in Business Affairs.
Funeral Will Be Held

Joseph Smith Chick, founder of the first bank in this city and for fifty years a citizen here, died at his home, 1039 Brooklyn avenue, at 4:30 yesterday morning. He had been ill several months, although he went to his offices until last week.

Mr. Chick was born in Howard county, Mo., August 3, 1828. His parents were from Virginia and the family lived on a farm. In 1830 the family moved to the town of Westport. Mr. Chick's father, Colonel William M. Chick, was one of the early purchasers of the original site on which Kansas City was built. At the time the family moved to Westport there were not a half a dozen families in Kansas City, called then Westport Landing. Joseph Chick went to the Westport schools, but at the age of 18 years put away his books and went into business. He became a clerk in the general store of H. M. Northrup, the largest shop of its kind in the town of Westport Landing. He worked hard and faithfully and in 1852 was admitted to a partnership in the firm.

Soon afterwards he and his partner conceived the idea of operating a bank in Kansas City and established one under the name of H. M. Northrup & Co. The company also took some interest in the trade across the plains to Santa Fe and in the year 1861 Mr. Chick and Mr. Northrup, with their wives, made the trip over the Santa Fe trail to trade with the Indians.


The next year, on account of the unsettled conditions prevailing, the company gave up its business in Kansas City and removed to New York, where they established a bank under the name of Northrup & Chick, on Wall street. For eleven years they continued in that city but in 1874 Mr. Chick sold out his interest and removed to this city, where he associated himself with some of the wealthy business men of the city and organized the Bank of Kansas City. In 1888 this institution was merged with the National Bank of Kansas City and Mr. Chick was chosen president, a position he held until the dissolution of the firm in 1895. Since then he had been in the real estate business with his son.

Mr. Chick was also connected with the St. Louis and Missouri River Telegraph Company, built to Kansas City in 1851; the Missouri Pacific Railroad, the macadamized road from Westport to the city, the first telephone company, the Kansas City Electric Light Company and the National Loan & Trust Company. He was once president of the board of trade.

For many years Mr. Chick had lived in the house where he died. Immediately after his return from New York he bought a large plot of ground in that neighborhood, ten acres facing on the street that is now Brooklyn avenue. Mr. Chick gave the street its present name after the city that he made his home when a banker in New York.

Since his early youth Mr. Chick was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, South, and a faithful attendant at church services. For the last twenty-five years he had been the president of the board of stewards of the Central Methodist Episcopal church.


Mr. Chick was married to Miss Julia Sexton of Howard county in 1855. Mrs. Chick is 76 years old. She is dangerously ill and may not survive her husband for long.

Two children survive, Joseph S. Chick, Jr., and Mrs. E. E. Porterfield, wife of Judge Porterfield, and three grandchildren, Mrs. Robert G. Caldwell, who lives in Indianapolis, Ind., E. E. Porterfield, Jr., and Miss Julia C. Porterfield.

The funeral services will be held Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the home. Burial will be in Mount Washington cemetery. The active pallbearers will be selected from Mr. Chick's nephews.

In both his public and his private life Mr. Chick bore the reputation for exemplary character. His business integrity was above reproach, and when the bank with which he was connected failed in 1895 on account of hard times, Mr. Chick assumed the task of paying off the debt. Five years ago the last dollar was paid, together with 8 per cent interest on the money. He was always benevolent in disposition and had given an efficient business training to many young men now scattered in many states. His bearing was erect and his address cheerful. He was beloved by many, and liked by all who knew him.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

December 4, 1908


Weight, Not Strength, the Problem
for Walnut Street Firm.

Safe-movers, six stalwart men trained in the handling of heavy things, were the only people to whom it was considered wise yesterday to entrust the transfer of a mammoth York State Cream Cheese into the show window at Fred Wolferman's.

The monster delicacy weighs 2,207 pounds, more than a ton. To admit it it was necessary to remove the glass from the display window, and the flooring had been solidly reinforced Tuesday afternoon to withstand such great weight.

This is the largest cheese ever brought to Kansas City. In speaking about it yesterday, Mr. Wolferman said: "It required special machinery and the efforts of ten expert cheese men to produce this cheese. No one but a student of dairy products or one who had devoted his life to cheesemaking would attempt it. The day's yield of more than a thousand cows, or 22,227 quarts of milk, were used. The extracting and cooking of the milk was all handled in one day, but the curing and other handling took practically two months."

The date for cutting this component of welch rarebits has not been set.

Labels: , , ,

October 26, 1908


Perhaps That's Why So Many Clothes
Were Stolen Last Week.

Overcoats and winter clothes were the most important articles stolen during the last week. The cold rains made it necessary for the thieves to dress warmer and they proceeded to get the clothes. The heaviest loser was the Paris store, 312 East Twelfth street, which was entered Saturday night. The goods reported stolen included two hats worth $70, and nineteen large plumes, total value, $226. A reward of $25 is offered for the recovery of the plumes.

Glazers' tools were stolen from the Baltimore hotel Saturday afternoon. An Eskimo dog was reported stolen Saturday from Mrs. A. B. Hunt, 3235 East Seventh street. Arthur Dunlap reported to the police yesterday that a friend took a horn belonging to him and failed to return it. Six pairs of pants were stolen from the store of H. Segelbohm & Co., 1307 Main street. An overcoat and umbrella was stolen by a sneak thief from C. T. Gable, while he was at t he Meridith apartments. A set of double harness was stolen from the barn of A. B. Shumway, 1007 East Twelfth street. Lead pipe thieves made their appearance Saturday after a brief period of rest. They cut the pipe out of a new building at 1525 Cherry street. W. A. Robertson, Leavenworth, Kas., reported that a serge suit was stolen from his room, 1100 East Nineteenth street. Five dollars in one of the pockets went along with the pants.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

October 14, 1908


LOSS $125,000.

Origin of Fire is Not Know -- Rest of
City Is Saved by Inhabitants
Carrying Water From
the River.

The frantic honking of an automobile driven by 17-year-old Robert Waters, accompanied by his shouts of "fire" awakened the people of Bonner Springs to an appreciation of the fact that flames were eating away the business section of that city early yesterday morning.

The blaze, due, it is thought, to spontaneous combustion in the rear of the Kelley & Pettit drug store on Oak street, was first noticed by Isaac Milstead, a laborer. Backed by a mighty northern wind that carried a rain of sparks to the roofs of neighboring buildings, it spread rapidly and soon two entire business blocks were involved.

It was at this moment that the Waters boy heard the cries of Milstead and alarmed the town. In twenty minutes perhaps a thousand men, women, and children, in the absence of any fire-fighting facilities, were carrying buckets of water from the Kaw river to Oak street.

Many of the impromptu fire fighters were only partially dressed, and the morning air was sharp. The first attempt to get outside aid was made at 4:45 o'clock, a half hour after the blaze was noticed. Then the workmen of the Bonner Portland Cement Company's plant, situated four miles from the city on the electric line, were notified to board special street cars furnished for them and come with all haste.


The idea was then to blow up some of the houses ahead of the fire or tear them down so as to keep it within the section it had already claimed. An attempt to blow up the Kuhn building, near Second street, was given over, as the flames beat the workmen there, so Kansas City, Kas., was telephoned for fire apparatus and all the companies it could spare.

Meanwhile men and women had organized a system in their maneuvers. The banks of the Kaw are steep at this point. Certain men were detailed to be dippers at the margin, while others handed the laden buckets to each other until they could be grasped and carried away. It was a lively scene and the energy displayed had a decided effect.

When, after repeated delays, No. 1 fire company from Kansas City, Kas, arrived on a special train, heroic treatment had done its work and only a smouldering three blocks of business houses were left on which to play the hose.

The loss in yesterday's fire is variously estimated by the local insurance agents. The best authorities place it at between $100,000 and $125,000. The insurance amounted to a little over $61,000 in all eleven companies.


The buildings lost in the fire were: B. L. Swofford's dry goods store, loss $15,000, insurance $6,500; Waters & Frisbee building, loss $7,000, insurance $4,000; Walwer & Kirby stock, loss $300; Farmers' State bank, loss $300.

Dr. E. P. Skaggs, dentist: loss, $1,500; insurance, $500.
Knights of Pythias lodge: loss $200.
L. G. Frisbie, frame building: loss $2,000.
Hall & Fletcher, meat market: loss $1,500.
Edwin Page, pool hall: loss $1,000; insurance $200.
John Klem, frame building: loss $900.
Opera House block, Brant Adams, Olathe, Kas., owner: loss on building, $6,000, on contents not known.
Baxter & Kay Grocery Company, loss $2,000; insurance $1,500.
Mrs. Lia Dunn, restaurant: loss $700.
Kelley & Pruitt, hardware and drugs: loss $7,500; insurance $3,500.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

October 3, 1908


Judge Wallace Says Jews Must Keep
Their Stores Closed on Sunday.

Not only is Judge Wallace going after the theater managers, pool hall proprietors, barber and tobacco dealers, but from now on his righteous wrath is to be visited upon the wicked citizens of Jewish extraction who keep their second hand clothing stores open on Sunday.

According to his special prosecutor it makes no difference to Judge Wallace that the religious belief of these dealers does cause them to observe Saturday as the Sabbath and that their places of business are tightly closed that day -- they will be prosecuted just as vigorously if they open on Sunday.

When the Wallace Sunday closing crusade was started a statement was authorized by the court to the effect that provided the Jews of the city observed Saturday as Sunday they would be exempt from prosecution, but it is now stated that there has been a misconception as to this statement. Why the misconception has not been corrected before does not yet appear.

"Under the law," said the court's spokesman, "if the Jews observe Saturday as Sunday they are exempt from prosecution so far as labor is concerned, that is, they may work on Sunday; but this exemption does not allow them to sell goods and they are to be prosecuted if they do. Already two indictments for this offense have been found by the grand jury and the offenders will appear in court the first of next week."

Therefore, if the Jew merchants of the city are so disposed, they may keep their stores open on Sunday, but if they sell anything the heavy hand of the law will be laid upon them.

The explanation of the law as interpreted by Judge Wallace in this matter does not include a clear view of the fine distinction between what is called "work" and selling second-hand clothes.

That this new interpretation of the law will work a distinct hardship on the Jew dealer whose religious scruples will not allow him to do business on Saturday goes without saying for it effectually shuts him off from selling his goods on two days out of seven.

"I think the Sunday law will be pretty generally observed tomorrow," said the special prosecutor. "In fact, I think 98 per cent of the places which have heretofore been in the habit of doing business on Sunday will be found closed. The grand jury will proceed with its work Monday morning, at which time the rest of the theater managers whom we did not have time to arraign this week will be brought into court.

"No," he said in answer to a question, "we do not expect that any of the theaters will be closed."

Labels: , , ,

October 1, 1908


Police Are Ordered to Place Them
100 Feet Back From
the Corners.

During the meeting of the police board yesterday Commissioner A. E. Gallagher brought up the question of the street peanut and candy wagon standing in front of fuit and confectionery stores and drawing away trade.

"There is a fruit and confectionery stand near Ninth and Main street which pays a rental of $150 a month. Not long ago one of these peanut wagons took up a stand right in front of the man's place. When moved by the policeman he would return as soon as the oficer left. Now there are three of the wagons circled about this man's place.

"II know these street stnds pay no rent," continued Mr Galagher. I dout if they pay any taxes at all, and all they do is pay a mal licene fee to the city. It is not right that a man who pays taxes and big rent should be made to compete with such vendors. At Eighth and Main streets there is a man who pays $50 to $75 a month for a small space Right out on the treet beneath the viaduct i one of those wagon agaist which he must compete for trade."

Mr. Gallagher spoke of the wagons always being in the way at transfer points and cited the wagon at the northwest corner of Eighth street and Grand avenue as an instance. He said they should be made to stand at least 100 feet from the corner. Commissioner Elliott H. Jones agreed with him, and Chief Ahern was ordered to move all such stands away from street corners. The mayor was not present.

The chief stated that most of the street wagon, lunch wagons included, paid rent to the business man in front of whose place they stand.

It came to light in a police court trial some time ago when an attempt was made to move a candy and a lunch wagon from Fifth and Walnut streets, that both men had been paying rent to a dry goods store near where they stood, one $25 and the other $20 a month. The lunch wagon was moved on complaint of the management of the Gilliss theater, but the candy wagon is still against the curb right at the corner.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

September 30, 1908







Women and Children Hurled High in
Air When Crash Came -- Dam-
aged Car May Lead
to Detection.

No more heartless indifference to suffering and death has been exhibited in Kansas City than occurred last night, when a furiously driven big red touring automobile crashed into a light spring wagon on Broadway, near Hunter avenue, killing a girl of 14 years and badly injuring five other people, two women, two girls and a boy.

The impact of the collision was heard a block away.

When the motor car struck the wagon, tearing it to pieces, women and children, screaming with fright and pain, were hurled high into the air and fell in a heap on the hard curbing, with bits of splintered wood falling all about them. It is said the men in the motor car -- there were two -- looked at the death and suffering they had caused, laughed, turned on more speed and glided away into the enveloping darkness.


The accident occurred at 8:45 o'clock. Besides little Pearl, who was instantly killed, the other four occupants were seriously injured and at least one fatally so. In the spring wagon were Mrs. Jennie A. Bucher, her daughter Florence and Mrs. Frank Gochenour and and two children, Robert and Pearl.

Mrs. Bucher was driving the horse when the accident occurred. The two families are neighbors and often go driving together in the evening. Last night they started to go to Levanthal's bakery, 1819 Grand avenue. The horse was being driven north on Broadway and in order to avoid speeding automobiles Mr. Bucher was driving close into the curbing.

They had passed Hunter avenue and were proceeding at a slow trot when suddenly the front wheels of the wagon were struck by an automobile, and without any warning the women and children were thrown out. The wagon crashed the front part of the wagon against the curbing, leaving it in splinter. Mrs. Bucher and Mrs. Cochenour and Robert Gochenour were thrown up onto the parkway, falling on top of each other. Miss Florence Bucher fell beneath the rear wheel. Little Pearl Gochenour, who had been sitting on her mother's lap, fell beneath the seat of the wagon and the horse was knocked over on top of her, crushing her.


Frank Gochenour, the father of the dead child, is a stonemason and resides on Forty-seventh street between Holly and Mercer streets. Mrs. Bucher conducts a grocery store at 825 West Forty-seventh street and her husband, Henry Bucher, is a bartender at the Valerious cafe. Mrs. Bucher is 42 years old, Florence Bucher is 14, Mrs. Alice Gochenour is 37, Robert 14 and the little girl was only 10 years of age. Rober Bucher, 14 years old, had been visiting with Robert Wilson, Thirty-fourth street and Broadway, and was on his way home when he heard the noise the collision made and ran to where the crowd was quickly gathering. He was much affected when he learned that his mother and sister were injured.

As soon as Mr. Bucher heard of the accident, he hurried to the emergency hospital, but his wife was unconscious.

A few minutes after he arrived his two daughters who had stayed at home arrived. They said they had gone to Mr. Gochenour's house and told him of the accident. He was alone in the house with his 3-year-old baby girl and could not leave to go to the hospital. The Bucher girls said that Mr. Gochenour did not seem to realize that his little girl was dead.


J. D. Skinner, 3508 Baltimore avenue, did not see the accident, but did hear the crash and saw the disappearing automobile. He was on Hunter avenue at the time and running to the corner could see two men in the machine. He said it was running at a rate of forty-five miles an hour when it passed over Hunter avenue and possibly faster after the accident. Many women living in the vicinity came out of their houses in time to see the automobile flying down the road. Some of them said they heard the two men in the machine laugh.

When the police were searching the street around the spot where the wagon was demolished they found part of an automobile lamp and broken parts of glass of the light reflector. Sergeant James A. Jadwin of No. 5 police station telephoned a description of the auto and the men to eleven police stations, and the men in several districts were given the descriptions. Kansas City, Kas., police were also notified.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

September 26, 1908



Powder From First Bullet Sets Fire
to Her Clothes and After Extin-
guishing Blaze Shoots a
Second Time.

"I wanted to kiss you all at the table good-by, and I knew I couldn't, for you would mistrust something," wrote Mrs. Mary Hulse of 3839 Dickson street to her husband and children yesterday afternoon just before she shot herself twice in the left breast with a revolver, barely two hours after dinner time, when all the members of the family ate what was probably their last meal together. Despondency over continued ill health led to the act, and the doctors hold out no hope for her recovery. Both bullets penetrated the left lung.

Edna, the 15-year-old daughter of the woman, was in the back yard when she heard the first shot fired. She thought it was a door slamming in one of the upstairs bedrooms, but when she went in to ascertain she heard her mother groaning in her room, and as she ran up the stairway the woman cried out: "I am dying; send to the store for Annie!"


As she spoke she lay on the bed with the revolver beside her, trying to put out the fire which the front part of her dress had caught from the flashing powder. The terror-stricken girl did not think to snatch the smoking revolver from the bed, but ran to the store of I. E. Early, a block or so away on East Fifteenth street, where her eldest sister, who is 17 years of age, is employed. Before the two girls got back neighbors heard a second shot, and when the daughters reached their mother's room she lay bleeding and in a dying condition on the bed. The husband, who works in a brickyard at Askew and Seventeenth streets, and Drs. A. R. Greelee and W. L. Campbell were summoned and everything possible was done, but there is little doubt but that the wounds will prove fatal.


In an envelope sealed and addressed to her husband she wrote her farewell to him and her children. Even after she had sealed it she wrote expressions of affectionate leave taking. On the outside she wrote:

"My Dear Jim and My Dear Children: -- I have to leave you. I can not stand my suffering any longer. Hope you can keep the children together. I know you will if it is so you can, and I do hope you can get steady work for our dear children's sake. My sickness is too much; I can't stand it any longer. See about the insurance.

"Jim, my darling, you have done all that any one could do for me, and I thank Dr. Lowery and Dr. Doyle for their kindness. I wanted to kiss you all at the table good-by, but I knew you would mistrust something. I want you all to forgive me. Annie and Edna, be good girls and be good to little Ruth and Albert. Mind your father. Good-by to all.


Mrs. Hulse is 32 years old, and her husband said yesterday that she had been in ill health for ten years. There are two other smaller children, Albert and Ruth, aged 12 and 9. The family moved to Kansas City from Ottawa, Kas., three years ago.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

September 18, 1908


Only It's Small Enough to Be Shown
in Window.

High above the autumn flowers it sailed, an exact miniature of the famous aeroplane, which, under the guidance of its inventor, Orville Wright, made so splendid a record at Fort Myer. The "demonstration ground" in this instance was the front window of the store of the William L. Rock Flower Company, 1116 Walnut street, and the aeroplane, although perfect to the last detail, measures only six feet in width. It was secured by William L. Rock while on his recent trip to the East. The great interest in the future of aviation taken by people of all walks of life caused the tiny aeroplane to be widely commented upon.

Labels: , , , ,

August 20, 1908


Retail Prices Have Declined as Much
as 3 Cents a Pound.

Retail meat prices are being quoted from 1/2 to 3 cents lower per pound than was the case a month ago. the reason for the slight decrease in price as given by the local retail butchers is that the wholesale markets have reduced their prices on meat stuffs, and that it is more profitable for them to reduce their own prices in proportion, inasmuch as more people will buy meat at cheaper prices.

The wholesalers give no particular reason for the decline in prices, saying that general circumstances make it possible to reduce the price of meat to the retailer a few cents a pound. The flood during the early part of the summer had a great deal to do with the large advance in the price of meats, which was maintained up until the last few days.

Steaks which cost the butcher 14 1/2 cents to 18 1/2 cents a pound are being sold by the retailers at 22 1/2 cents a pound. This is a decrease of from 4 1/2 to 7 1/2 cents per pound since last month. Rib roasts are selling from 15 to 17 cents a pound and cost the retailer anywhere from 14 to 17 cents a pound. Sugar-cured ham which costs the retailer 12 1/2 cents a pound is being sold for 17 cents, and pork, which ranges from 8 to 12 cents a pound at wholesale prices can be bought for 15 cents at many of the downtown markets.

Labels: , , , ,

August 14, 1908





Then She Went to a Drug Store and
Purchased 10 Cents Worth of
Carbolic Acid as the Wil-
liams Girl Had Done.

Did the fact that Anna May Williams committed suicide prey upon the mind of 12-year-old Vivian Burden until she yesterday took her own young life by the same method -- carbolic acid? No other reason but mental suggestion has been ascribed as a cause for the girl's death by her family and the coroner.

Little Vivian had gone to the Woodland school with Anna May Williams, the 15-year-old girl who killed herself Tuesday afternoon at her home, 816 Euclid avenue. A discussion of the number of suicides, especially with carbolic acid, took place at the breakfast table in the Burden home yesterday. The death of Ana May Williams, Vivian's acquaintance, was, of course, discussed more than the rest.

"The girl was persecuted," she said "That's the way with step-papas, anyhow."

The child seemed much wrought up over the matter, but as she cooled down afterwards, little was tought of it.


Yesterday afternoon Vivian left her house at 800 Lydia avenue, and went to the drug store of E. D. Francisco, Eighth street and Tracy avenue.

"I want 10 cents worth of carbolic acid," she said. "My mamma wants it to make roach poison."

The child, for she was nothing more, sallied when she said this, and seemed restless, as children do, to get away. "Before she left, however, she bought an ice cream soda and ate it at the counter. With the deadly poison clenched in her childish hands she went to the Bazaar, a store at the corner of Independence and Tracy avenues. There she took some time in selecting a pretty doll for her 5-year-old sister, Helen.

All of this took up about an hour, so that Vivian arrived back home about 3 p. m. Calling her little sister she gave her the doll, for which she had paid 35 cents and seemed delighted in the little one's pleasure when the doll was placed in her hands and she was told it was all hers.

No one suspected there was anything wrong with Vivian when she went upstairs to her room. Louise, 17, and Myrtle, 19 years old sisters of Vivian, were busy in the kitchen when Vivian ran in and said: "Call a doctor quick; I've taken some of mamma's roach poison." The sisters at first thought she was joking, but when they saw the condition of her lips and smelled the deadly carbolic acid they were thrown into consternation.


Dr. Oliver F. Faires, who has an office over Francisco's drug store, was then summoned, and though he worked over the child until 5 o'clock, she died, having been long unconscious before the end came. Coroner George B. Thompson was summoned and sent the body to Newcomer's undertaking rooms.

Vivian Burden was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. G. Burden. The father, a butcher, was not at home, being employed in Bartlesville, Ok. He was notified of his child's rash act and left for home last night.

"What cause can you assign for your daughter, Vivian, taking carbolic acid?" was asked of Mrs. Burden last night.

"I cannot believe the girl committed suicide because of any trouble either at home or with her playmates," the mother replied. "She was of a very happy and bright disposition and was never moody." Vivian regularly scanned the newspapers each day and was particularly interested in stories about suicides. The sad girl named Anna May Williams may have inspired her," the mother said, "as she constantly talked about the girl and the poor girl's sad life."

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

July 8, 1908


John C. Curry Dies While on a Visit
to This City.

John C. Curry, who ten years ago trained Richard Croker's trotting horses, died at St. Joseph's hospital yesterday after a long illness. He was 50 years old and unmarried, and had been here visiting his sister, Miss May Curry, at the Washington hotel since last October. He was one of the best known drivers and trainers of trotting horses in America, and until last September conducted a training stable in New York.

Mr. Curry leaves three sisters and a brother -- Miss May Curry, manager of the Emery, Bird, Thayer dressmaking department; Miss Sarah Curry, a designer at Emery, Bird, Thayer's; Mrs J. A. Lehman of Chicago, and Gil Curry of San Franscisco.

Labels: , , , , , ,

May 12, 1908


With the "Universal" It's No Longer
Hard to Make.

Many a woman has uttered the plaint that while making cake is easy, she just can't make bread, but she need never say it again, according to Miss Bishop, who is demostrating the Universal Bread Mixing Machine at the store of the Bunting-Stone Hardware Company, 814-6 Walnut street.

All las week tiny sample loaves, hot, crispy and fragrant, were given free to every lady who called. The bread was mixed and kneaded in the Universal machine in less than three minutes. Many a woman who knew only too well the drudgery of bread making by the old hand way, rejoiced to learn how quickly the machine would perform the labor, and how light and delicious the bread really was. The demonstration has been so popular that it was decided yesterday to continue it for the balance of the week.

Labels: , ,

May 9, 1908


C. Kennedy Is Fined $50 on Com-
plaint of Miss May Irwin.

C. Kennedy, a floor walker in a 10-cent store near Eleventh and Main streets, was fined $50 in police court yesterday on a charge of disturbing the peace of Miss May Irwin, a clerk in the store. The fine was paid by the manager of the store. Miss Irwin lives in Kansas City, Kas.

A week ago, the young woman testified, she was sent to the hosiery department in the basement. It was dark down there and she turned on the lights. Miss Irwin alleged that Kennedy then appeared on the scene and grabbed her, hugging and kissing her against her protest. Last Wednesday Miss Irwin was discharged and she ascribed a reason for it. Previous to that she said she feared to make a complaint against Kennedy as she wished to hold her job. After she was discharged she filed complaint with the city attorney and Kennedy was arrested.

Kennedy admitted most of the charges the girl made, but said that she had given him cause to make advances by flirting with him. This Miss Irwin denied.

"I have worked in many stores in Kansas City," said Miss Irwin, "and in every one I have been insulted in some manner by a head man. I also could name lots of other girls who have received the same treatment. Why don't they complain? That's easily explained. They are all poor girls and have to work, and such a complaint would not only lose them one job, but might black ball them at other places."

Labels: , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

The Son of Jesse James is Accused of a Train Robbery at Leeds ... Can he get a fair trial in Kansas City?
The Trial of Jesse James, Jr.

>>More KC Books<<

As an Amazon Associate this site may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory