Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

January 17, 1910


Hundreds of Curious Pass Swope
House at Independence.

Drawn by curiosity, several hundred people passed back and forth in front of the Swope home in Independence yesterday, looking up at the great house which sets well back in a park, in the hope of getting a glimpse of some life about the premises. It was a murky day, the drizzling rain made it gloomier, if possible. The large forest trees, which flank the drive, dripped with moisture. Some of the more curious people went up into the yard, but they did not approach the home, as if in fear of the mysterious things which have happened there.

The officer was on guard as usual and as he has been for the past eight weeks. He has never left the house and he alone opens and shuts the doors to allow ingress and egress. None of the family, so far as known, even greet the most intimate friends at the portals of the home.

Yesterday morning at the Independence churches prayers were sent up during the services held for those bowed down in grief and sorrow, and unmistakable allusion was made in invoking divine care for the family so sorely afflicted. In the sermons no especial allusion was made to the tragedy which has shocked the city as never before.

Labels: , ,

January 9, 1910


Weather Warmer in Kansas City --
Travel Is Unusually Heavy.

Although the weather was much warmer in Kansas City yesterday, winter conditions elsewhere continued to derange the train schedules of the railroads running into Kansas City. Few trains are operated on time. The delays are general in all directions.

"For some reason, prosperity I guess, travel is unusually heavy just now," said a Union depot official yesterday. "Many people get laid out here because of late trains."

Labels: , ,

January 8, 1910


Cold Weather Is Responsible for Its
Unusual Hardness.

"Just natural conditions of the river," is the explanation given by the city chemist department for the hardness of the water from the Missouri. "It is lime that makes the water hard, the natural lime rock in the stream. Every time the weather gets cold the water becomes affected. The lime congeals with the water in greater proportions, and it is not as easily dissolved as in warmer weather. So long as the cold spell lasts so long with the water be hard."

Complaints of chapped hands and faces are general. People are blaming it to the hardness of the water.

"Every time I wash in Missouri river water my hands and face feel like nutmeg graters," complained a woman yesterday.

"Did it ever occur to that woman that probably she did not thoroughly dry her face and hands after washing, and that the chap is due to exposure to the cold and winds?" is the retort from the city chemist. "She should apply a lotion of glycerin and rose water after washing. It is a sure preventive for chapped hands and face."

Labels: , , ,

December 7, 1910


Length of Season for This Sport
Breaks All Records.

There has been consecutive skating on Penn Valley and Troost park lakes and the Parade since December 12 last, and if there is no unusual change in the weather the outlook for this winter entertainment continuing indefinitely seems promising.

"All skating records on the park lakes have been broken this winter," said W. H. Dunn, general superintendent of the system, yesterday. "Old timers tell me that this has been the severest winter Kansas City has had for years, and two feet of ice on the park lakes seems to bear them out. In the early part of the winter of 1908 there was no skating.

"The lakes were more adapted to boating, and the only skating last winter was from January 6 to 10 and from January 29 to February 5, twenty days, all told. There is a fine sheet of ice at the lagoon at Swope park, but thus far very few skaters have taken advantage of it. The downtown lakes are more accessible, and they are crowded afternoons and nights."

Labels: , , ,

December 19, 1909


Threatens to Arrest Autoists, They
Say, If Machine Goes Faster.

Formal protest was made last evening by Mrs. Victor Bell and her son, Dr. Charles Bell, to A. J. Dean, president of the park board, alleging that park policeman No. 14 on Cliff drive was unduly harsh yesterday afternoon in threatening them with arrest if their automobile was driven faster than he could walk on the Cliff drive. Mr. Dean will take up the matter at the next meeting of the park board.

Mrs. Bell and her sons, Dr. Charles Bell and Harold Bell, were halted in their big 60-horse landaulet in about the middle of Cliff drive. They were taking their usual afternoon ride when park policeman No. 14 shouted to them to halt. The chauffeur stopped.

"We were traveling very slowly," said Dr. Bell, who lives at the Hotel Baltimore, last evening, "when the policeman stopped us. At first we were threatened with arrest. Then we were told we might proceed, but that if the policeman ever caught us driving faster than he could walk that he would arrest us without further notice. We objected to this threat because a man's walk is certainly too slow a pace for an automobile. Our driver is familiar with the speed laws. Yesterday the driver took extra precautions because of the ice and snow. This in itself is sufficient for any driver to remain well within the speed limit. I know that we were not running faster than we do in Petticoat Lane.

Labels: , , , , , ,

December 14, 1909


Collision on Thorp Hill, Kansas City,
Kas., Fatal to Harry Wollen-
berg, 14 Years Old.

The first coasting accident of the season in Kansas City, Kas., occurred lsat night when Harry Wollenberg, the 14-year-old son of Martin E. Wollenberg of 1137 Locust street in that city, was struck and fatally injured by a loaded bob sled on the long steep Thorp street hill. Harry was coasting down Thorp street, north from Central avenue, and is supposed to have been struck by a sled coming down the same street, south from Grandview. He was picked up by some of the coasters and taken to a house nearby.

Dr. H. P. Clark of 1215 Central avenue was called and found that the boy had received severe internal injuries. Emergency treatment was given and the boy taken to Bethany hospital in a police ambulance, where Dr. Clark and Dr. C. M. Stemen performed an operation. All efforts to save the boy's life proved fruitless, however, and he died at 12:10 o'clock this morning. The body was taken to the undertaking rooms of Joseph Butler.

The accident occurred about 9:30 o'clock, but it was nearly two and one-half hours later when the ambulance reached the hospital. The delay was caused by the icy condition of the streets. Dr. Clark and Patrolman Thomas Shay, who were with the ambulance, were forced to hold the rear wheels to prevent the vehicle from skidding and turning over.

At the hospital the boy said he did not know who ran into him, and inquiry at the scene of the accident did not divulge this information. Harry Wollenberg was in the Seventh A Grade at the Prescott school. His father, Martin Wollenberg, is employed in the tank room at the Swift Packing Company's plant. He has four other children.

The street where the boy was injured was covered with coasters last night. The hill on Thorp street affords one the longest and steepest slides in the city.

Immediately after the accident to the Wollenberg boy, Sergeant P. H. Peterson ordered his men to stop all coasting on hills if the coasters would not content themselves with coasting in one direction. Last winter several young people were badly injured in the northern part of the city in a collision between two bob sleds which were going in opposite directions.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

December 11, 1909


Orphan Boy, Traveling Alone, Had
No Other Cares.

"I am Raymond Joy, an orphan, and I am on my way to Reuben Joy, Reserve, Kas. Conductors please look after me."

This inscription was printed on a card pinned to the coat of Raymond Joy, 6 years old, who is on his way to his uncle, where he is to make his home. Raymond has lived with an uncle, Jack Joy, at Houston, Tex., since his parents died five years ago. Recently his uncle in Kansas asked that he be permitted to live with him, and the arrangements for the trip were made.

"Will there be lots of snow in Kansas?" he anxiously inquired of everyone who would stop for a moment and talk with him at the Union depot last night. Half an hour before train time he bought two postal cards. He could not write, so he dictated a note to Miss Mildred Swanson at Houston.

"Dear Mildred," it read, "please write to me often at Reserve, Kas. Lovingly, Raymond."

Labels: , , ,

December 10, 1909


Resurrected, Dust Covered, and
Again Put to Use.

The despised coal range has again been given its place. The big hotels, as well as the smaller hostelries, have pulled the old coal range from out of the dust under which it has lain for a year and the kitchen boys have been kept busy for the last couple of days shoving coal, removing the ashes and keeping the fires clean. The failure of the gas pressure means much to a cook in one of the big hotels, where the orders come fast and where the cooking is timed with mathematical precision. In several of the places the cooks burn gas solely, except for certain classes of chops and steaks, which are broiled over charcoal.

Labels: , , ,

December 9, 1909


Gas Users Suffer by Reason of Short-
age -- Coal Men Can't Supply
Demand for Fuel.

ST. JOSEPH, MO., Dec. 8. -- Zero weather, with natural gas cut off in many parts of the city, leaves patrons shivering and suffering here tonight. General Manager K. M. Mitchell of the gas company announced that 750,000 cubic feet held in reserve in the great tanks of the company would be turned into the mains for patrons to use in preparation of the evening meal. The supply was turned on all right, but disappeared before it reached the suburban residences. Cold and scanty dinners added to the anger and discomfort of gas patrons.

Coal men are unable to meet the immediate demands for fuel. Manufacturing plants and public school buildings likely will be compelled to close tomorrow unless the gas supply is improved. Officers of the gas company can give no assurances of an improved condition.

There is a demand that artificial gas be manufactured to tide over recurring shortages of the natural product from Oklahoma and Kansas fields, but in this event charges for gas for fuel and lighting will be quadrupled.

Labels: , ,

December 8, 1909


Humane Society Busy Detecting
Smooth Shoes on Slippery Streets.

For the past two days the Humane Society has been busy in an attempt to give the horses of Kansas City a square deal. The sudden fall of snow, which made the downtown streets slippery, caught teamsters and horse owners unprepared, their animals wearing smooth shoes.

Last Monday Humane Agent Frank E. McLreary, in addition to his regular duties, appointed a field force of a dozen men. The streets are being patrolled thoroughly during the day and late into the evening. If any animal is seen making a vain attempt to struggle up a steep grade its shoes are examined and, if in bad condition, it is taken from the shafts and to the nearest blacksmith shop. The smithies are working overtime, most of their business being at night. An officer patrols the vicinity of the blacksmith shops and sees that the line of animals awaiting their turn in the streets are properly blanketed and protected from the cold.

Labels: , , ,

December 8, 1909


General Snowstorm Indefinitely
Delays Traffic.

At the Union depot last night trains from all directions were from one to fifteen hours late because of the general snow storm.

The Missouri Pacific train from Salina, due here at 1:30 p. m., was stuck in the drifts and indefinitely delayed. The Frisco, due at 5 p. m., late 5 hours. The Santa Fe 116 from the West was delayed 2 hours, and the Santa Fe, second 6, six hours late.

The Rock Island from the South, late 15 hours. It was due at 7 a. m. and arrived at 11 o'clock last night.

Labels: , ,

December 7, 1909


Tendency to "Flat" Feet Keeps
Them Out of the Navy.

"These snows and chilly winds are elements that make our business rushing at this time of the year," said Recruiting Officer Lieutenant C. S. Vanderbeck, "and the boys from the country who do not care to work out in the weather come here to join the navy, with the hopes that they will be sent to more pleasant climes, but most of them are disappointed because they are unable to meet the physical qualifications required by the government. The great majority have what is termed the 'flatfoot,' and are declared ineligible for the service of Uncle Sam."

Out of eleven applicants yesterday, only two were able to pass the physical examination on account of this affliction. It is caused in time of youth where a boy has bone barefoot most of the time, and the arch of the foot is broken down, due possibly because of the carrying of heavy loads.

Labels: , ,

November 27, 1909


Enters Penumbra of Earth's Shadow
at 12:12 A. M., and Emerges at
5:38 A. M. -- Sky Is Cloudy.

Those who were awake this morning to witness the total eclipse of the moon saw it through a hazy, cloudy sky. At intervals the eclipse was plain. From the time the moon entered the penumbra of the earth's shadow at 12:12 a. m., it remained either in total or partial eclipse until 5:38 a. m.

It was cloudy when it entered the penumbra and the course could not be traced plainly until after 1:11 a. m., the time it entered the true shadow of the earth's umbra. The moon was moving eastward just a little faster than the shadow of the earth, made by the sun on the opposite side.

At exactly 2:14 a. m. the moon became dark in the sky and forty-one minutes later it was in the center of the deep, dark shadow. At 3:36 a. m., just thirty-six minutes afterward the moon began to sneak out of the umbra.

In another hour, at 4:36 a. m., the moon was out of the eclipse and drifting along in the penumbra. At 5:38 a. m. the moon was entirely out of the eclipse. the next one will be 11:09 p. m., Monday, May 23, 1910.


November 12, 1909


Telephone Companies to Furnish
Free the Forecast Hereafter.

The Kansas City weather bureau in the Scarritt building will put out, beginning today, a new form of weather map and report. It will give the forecasts for thirty-six hours in advance.

A note on the bulletin states that through co-operation with the United States weather bureau, the Missouri and Kansas Telephone Company and the Kansas City Home Telephone Company and their connecting lines will furnish free, upon request, the weather forecasts and special warnings after 10:30 a. m. daily, except Sunday, to subscribers in Kansas and Missouri.

Labels: , ,

November 10, 1909


Weather Permitting Carrier Pigeons
Will Be Loosed This Morning.

On account of the hazy atmosphere of yesterday afternoon, the carrier pigeons, which were to have been liberated form the top of the R. A. Long building, Tenth street and Grand avenue, were not turned loose. the pigeons will be set free for their long flight to Colorado at 10 o'clock this morning, if the weather conditions are favorable.

Labels: , , , ,

October 25, 1909


Helping Hand Institute's 500 Beds
Not Enough for Cold Nights.

Every bed in the Helping Hand Institute was occupied at 1 o'clock yesterday morning and fifteen men, for whom the officers could find no accommodations, slept in the chairs of the assembly hall. The drop in temperature Saturday night was responsible for the large number of applicants.

Indications now are that the plan to add 600 more beds will fall through. At present there are accommodations for 500 men. The officers expected to double the number of beds. The officers had gone as far as to order some new equipment.

The building on Fourth street between Walnut and Main, owned by the city, the officers expected to get. The city, however, has refused to donate the use of this building. Consequently the plan of increasing the number of beds has been abandoned.

Labels: , , ,

October 12, 1909


It Wasn't Much, but It Was the
Real Article.

Kansas City had its first snow of the season last night. It was a baby effort, however, for but a few flakes fell, but they were of the correct, white, large kind that blow in such quantities in real winter.

They fell for only a few minutes, accompanied by a chilling wind from the north. The wind was almost gale-like in strength. A few minutes after the flakes fell, the stars came out, but the wind continued.

Little change in the temperature is expected by the weather bureau for today. Clouds are promised and there is a probability that the light snow may be repeated. The clear weather after midnight gave every indication of frost by morning.


September 23, 1909



Mr. and Mrs. Robert Miller and
Frank W. Hager Tell of Ad-
ventures in Great Monterrey
Flood and Hurricane.

Huddled with a score of Mexican refugees in a shack fourteen by sixteen feet for over thirty-one hours, while the wind blew with an average velocity of 100 miles an hour and the rain fell i n torrents, and standing during this time knee deep in water was the thrilling experience of Mrs. Robert Miller, a Kansas City bride of a few days on her honeymoon trip in the state of Tamaulipas, Mexico, during the recent hurricane and unprecedented floods there.

Mrs. Miller, who was Miss Anna Belle Schell, her husband, Robert Miller, and Frank W. Hager of Kansas City, who are interested in a big land grant, and John B. Demaras and Demosthenes Lapith of Kansas City, Kas., were the only white persons in that territory for several weeks. During nine days of that time the party, cut off by the floods from roads and communication with the outside world, killed goats and subsisted on goat flesh.

All reached Kansas City early yesterday morning, none the worse for their experience, and Mrs. Miller declares that she is ready to go again.

The party experienced delightful weather until they got well into Mexico. Then it began to rain. They began having trouble at Victoria in getting to Soto La Marina valley, their objective point, which is about eighteen miles from the Gulf of Mexico. they arrived at the village of Soto La Marina on August 27 after riding for some ten miles through water breast deep on the horses. The path was picked up by a native who several times had to swim with his horse.


On their arrival at Soto La Marina it became apparent that the town would be flooded by the rapidly rising river. It was raining heavily and the only refuge was on the hills west of the town. It would have been impossible to have returned to Victoria, so Mr. Miller and his party joined the native refugees. A quantity of food was hastily gathered and as the water began to fill the streets the inhabitants abandoned the town. The trip to the hills, about fourteen miles, was accomplished with difficulty. Frequently the horses would splash into holes and all of the riders were soaked to the skin.

"When we arrived at the shack near the junction of the Palma and the Sota La Marina river, which is the location of a proposed townsite, the rain was coming down in torrents, and the word torrent means just what the dictionary says it does down there," said Mr. Hager, one of the members of the party. "There were several adobe huts and to these the Mexican refugees hastened for shelter. Some joined us in the shack, which was built of up-ended logs with the chinks plastered with mud and a thatched roof, tied down with the native cord, formed of pieces of stringy bark.

"The way the house was tied together is about the only thing that saved us from the merciless wind and rain that night. It began to blow up about 11 p. m.


"Wind gauges at government stations broke after recording velocities of 124 miles an hour, and I believe that the wind traveled just a little faster where we were.

"There were a score of us in the shack. The water swept through from the hillside until we stood almost knee deep. We had no light nor fire. We had some tortillas which kept us alive. About 7 a. m. the wind died down and for half an hour there was a perfect calm.

"Suddenly with a shriek the wind turned from north to south and blew as strong or stronger from that direction. Of course there was no such thing as sleep. The natives prayed constantly and the women bemoaned their fate. We knew of course that we were in no immediate danger, but we were in constant fear of our little shelter being blown from off our heads. All that day and the next night the storm continued. About 6 a. m. the sun came out the greater part of our stay there.


"When the storm abated we began to look for food. Someone espied some goats on a hillside. We gave chase and an hour later had a nice goat roasting on a spit. That meal was the best I had eaten for some time.

"We were on a slight knoll, and after the meal we started to look around. We were practically surrounded by water, except for one outlet around an almost impassible mountainside dense with tropical verdure. We could do nothing but wait for these waters to subside. We slept on the ground. Saddles were our pillows. For nine days we lived the lives of savages, subsisting almost entirely on goat meat. I thought at one time I liked goat meat, but I got enough to do me the rest of my life.

"We finally made the start South. Natives went ahead and with knives and axes cut a path along the mountainside. A forty-mile ride under those circumstances was not the most enjoyable pastime in the world. When we arrived at Paddua there was but one hotel there, and it had one room which had been left with a roof.

"This room, of course, went to the bride and the bridegroom. The rest of us made ourselves comfortable on cots with the blue sky overhead.

"About midnight I was awakened by the patter of rain drops on my face. I was sleepy and pulled the blanket over my head and slept until I found myself resting in several inches of water. The rain ceased an hour or so later and after dumping the water out of the cots we all went back to sleep. It was much easier from there on home, as we found good accommodations at Tampico.


"One of the most remarkable things to us is the fact that although the five of us were wet to the skin for two weeks and slept out on the ground during the greater part of that time, not one of us felt any ill effects. We were chilly at times, it is true, but that wore off and not one of us caught the slightest cold or felt any inconvenience. I gained four pounds. Mr. Demaras gained eight pounds and the others in the party all put on some flesh.

Labels: , , , ,

September 22, 1909


Blows Out Controller and Gives Pas-
sengers a Scare.

A storm that broke over Kansas City shortly after 11 o'clock last night was accompanied by heavy rolling thunder and vivid lightning flashes that made timid citizens seek the center of feather beds for safety. One misdirected bolt fell into a street car at Eighth street and Woodland avenue, to the consternation of several passengers. Besides burning out the controller and extracting a series of warwhoops from a portly individual in a smoker's seat no damage was done.

Labels: , , ,

September 7, 1909


Rain Causes Delay of Events Sched-
uled at Independence.

Business at the negro fair was declared off yesterday on account of rain at Independence, and the chicken and chitlings, prepared for the occasion, went begging.

The horse races were also declared off, and will be run today provided the track can be gotten into shape.

Dr. W. R. Petteford, a southern negro banker who is president of the Penny Savings bank of Birmingham, Ala., will deliver an address today at the negro fair which opened at Independence.

Free attractions are offered in the way of slack wire and trapeze performances. The fair will be open day and night throughout the week.

Labels: , , , , ,

September 7, 1909


Hotel Clerk Remarks on Weather
Changes When Discoveries Made.

"A few more discoveries of North Poles and we will all have to move South," remarked Clerk James Redmond at the Hotel Baltimore last night. "Thee day we got the news that Dr. Cook had discovered the Pole the mercury dropped some 20 degrees. The news that Peary had discovered it, or another one, resulted in a second drop in the temperature which was followed by rain. I guess the next one will give us snow and ice."

Labels: , ,

August 19, 1909


The Coates House Equal to Occasion
During Hottest Spell.

Three shower baths and thirty cots placed on the roof of the Coates house yesterday gave guests of that hostelry al fresco sleeping and bathing accommodations last night. Although the comfort attached to sleeping on a cot is small, the thirty were filled long before 10 p. m. last night.

The idea of cots on the roof occurred to the hotel men Tuesday. Several were put on the roof Tuesday evening. The experiment was successful and yesterday thirty cots were placed there. this news spread rapidly, and by the time dinner was over the cots had all been spoken for. The guests on the roof are confined to the masculine population of the hotel for the present, although it is probable that if the heated spell continues arrangements will be made for hte women. the matter of arranging the three shower baths was the hardest, and plumbers were kept busy until evening.

The guests who use the cots sleep in the open. They do not have a mosquito netting over them and about midnight last night those who had retired in their pajamas and bathrobes were summoning bellboys for blankets. Practically all left calls for about 5 a. m. at the latest. It is planned for the roof guests to take a shower in the early morning and then go to their rooms to finish their sleep.

Labels: , , ,

August 19, 1909


Heat Causes Loss of $50,000 to
Kansas City Owners.

Two hundred horses have died in Kansas City from the effects of the heat in the last twelve days. This is an increase of ninety-one over a like period one year ago.

"The majority of the horses died in their stalls after a day's exposure to the sun, but a great many died in harness while hauling loads in a temperature of 100 degrees or more," said the official of a rendering works yesterday.

Labels: , ,

August 18, 1909


Countless Numbers of Them Made
Life Miserable Last Night.

The fat man who lolls in front of hotels in the style of chair large enough to sleep in, discovered a fine breeze last night. He was out in unusually large number. The breeze was fine. The fat man was reading a paper under a glow of large electric lights and puffing away on a huge black cigar.

Then the bugs came, the pestiferous, clinging, crawly green bugs that hot, dry weather brings out. They crawled into his ears and slimed their way across his perspiring neck. They attacked him cheek and jowl. The fat man retreated, back to the super-heated, but screened, lobby of the hotel.

The fat man was not alone in his misery. His brother of the rolled up sleeves and a few of his sisters who affect that kind of raiment also had their troubles. The bugs had an ugly habit of climbing in under the roll of the sleeves, and crawling over the bare skin with much the sort of feeling one has when a bum prima donna hits a punk note. Under the electric lights and close to show windows, the green bugs held undisputed sway. They flew about in trillions, more or less, but sufficiently more to make it much more than less.

Their entry called for heartfelt swats and biffs, and they got 'em, but the survivors came back gallantly to the charge. At a late hour this morning, the green bugs held their vigil 'neath the twinkling lights, ready, ever ready to pounce down and crawl over and along and about any wayfarer who chanced their way.

Labels: , ,

August 17, 1909


Former Bandit Tells Politicians It's
Best to Walk the Straight and
Narrow Path.

Less than 5,000 people attended the Lone Jack picnic yesterday, which is a considerable crowd to gather up in the farthest corner of Jackson county, but nothing to the crowds which have gone there in days of yore. On the speakers' list were Congressman Borland, Representative Holcomb, former County Judge George Dodd and Cole Younger. Ex-Criminal Judge W. H. Wallace started for the picnic, going past F. M. Lowe's house in his automobile and inviting that congressional candidate to go with him, but something must have happened for there was no Judge Wallace at the Lone Jack all day. Sam Boyer, county clerk, was the only Republican official who reported, but there was a herd of Democratic officials. Circut Judge E. E. Porterfiled and Thomas J. Seehorn, both of them with records of never having missed the August pilgrimage, were given ovations. the speeches were tame, Cole Younger's being the possible exception. The well known old guerrilla has a lecture he reads, which is a little classic. It is moral in that there is not a cent nor a good night's sleep in being a "bad" man, and the only people who think there is are those who do not know the man who was "bad," while they who do know him always remind him that he was off the reservation once and cannot get all the way back on.

The weather was torrid, hundreds of buggies stopping short of the destination. Automobiles which carried the Kansas City contingent passed derelicts at almost every shade tree on the way. It was 100 in the shade but nobody on the way to the picnic had any shade to get under.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

August 16, 1909


McWilliams Ran Home and Fell in
Doorway From Heat Exhuastion.

Although it was much cooler yesterday than the day before, one case of heat prostration was reported in Kansas City, Kas. John McWilliams, a teamster employed by the Armourdale Lumber Company, while driving his team along South Tenth street yesterday afternoon, was notified that his 4-year-old son was very sick and likely to die. McWilliams tied his team and ran all the way to his home at 376 South Boeke street, a distance of nine blocks. When he reached his home he fell in the doorway unconscious. He was attended by Dr. J. A. Davis, who had been called to attend the child. Dr. Davis said he was prostrated by the heat, and that the condition was critical. The child, which was stricken with spasms, recovered before his father reached home.

Labels: , , , , , ,

August 15, 1909


Mrs. Everingham Made Little Ones
Cool and Happy.

While the mercury in the thermometer at the Union depot hovered around the 99 mark yesterday afternoon, several young men, under the direction of Matron Everingham, secured chunks of ice and, breaking it up, distributed it among the children in the waiting room.

The ice used had been broken from the big chunks used in icing the cars. The supply lasted until well after the severe heat of the afternoon. The eagerness with which the children grabbed at the bits of ice more than repaid the attaches of the station for their labors in getting and distributing the ice.

Labels: , , , ,

August 14, 1909


While Carrying Cake of Ice Jake
Schuyler is Overcome.

While transferring a cake of ice to a house at Forty-seventh street and Troost avenue at 3 o'clock yesterday afternoon, Jake Schuyler, an employe of the City Ice Company, suddenly fell over unconscious.

The police ambulance of No. 4 station was called and Dr. Shiras gave Schuyler emergency treatment for sunstroke. He was taken to the emergency hospital. Schuyler is 25 years old. He lives at 1321 Walnut street.

James Burgess, 3717 Woodland avenue, was affected last night about 8 o'clock. The police station was notified and the operator called Dr. S. S. Morse, 3801 Woodland avenue. Burgess is a foreman of the packing department of the Globe Storage Company, and has complained of the heat for several days. He had recovered in a few hours.

A. M. Kissell, 65 years old, a stationary fireman at the Central Manufacturing Company, First and Lydia avenue, about 9 o'clock was overcome by heat and last night he was taken to the emergency hospital for medical attention.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

July 30, 1909


Visiting Oklahoma Woman Returns
to Her Home at Enid.

It was so hot in Kansas City yesterday afternoon and evening that Mrs. Anna Baker of Enid, Ok., cut short a stay which she intended to make here, and last night returned to her home..

She told officials at the Union depot that the farther north she came the hotter it got.

Labels: , , ,

July 29, 1909


With Electrical Display, Comes
After Day of Sweltering Heat.

After a day of sweltering heat, Kansas City found relief at 11 o'clock last night when an electrical storm burst over the city. Early in the evening dark and heavy clouds began to appear in the West and moved rapidly towards the northeast, seeming to roll over and over. Shortly before 11 o 'clock a strong wind sprang up surcharged with moisture, bearing a warning of the approaching thunderstorm.

Crowds which had thronged the parks began to hasten homeward and the cars were overcrowded with those who attempted to reach shelter before the storm came. Large drops of rain fell for a few minutes followed by a considerable downpour, accompanied by wind, lightning and thunder.

P. Connor, weather forecaster, had almost promised that Kansas City should have fair weather last night and this morning. Such thunderstorms as Kansas City had last night have been extremely prevalent through the Southwest this past week.


July 13, 1909



At Topeka There Was Fall of 0.7
of Foot and at St. Joseph the
Missouri Is Stationary.
Streets Flooded.
Junction of the Kaw and the Missouri Rivers, Looking Toward Kansas City, Missouri

With a rise of over half a foot in the Missouri river yesterday, Forecaster Connor of the local weather bureau predicted a maximum stage of about 27.2 for this morning, which he believes from the information to hand will be the crest. Mr. Connor bases this prediction o n the assumption that there will be no more rains in the Kaw and Missouri river valleys.

The rise in the Missouri yesterday was rapid until 3 p. m. Since that hour it has remained stationary. This was taken by the observer to indicate that the mass of water due to recent rains had crested, and that now only the rise of the day before at Topeka and St. Joseph is to be felt here. At Topeka there was a fall of .7 of a foot during the day, while at St. Joseph the river was stationary.

The heavy rains at St. Joseph yesterday held the river up at that point, but the forecaster does not think they will influence the river there to any appreciable extent, and that by the evening it will show a good fall. The volume of water in the Missouri and Kaw rivers which must pass Kansas City, he asserts, will keep the river at a high stage for several days at least, although there is a possibility of a fall by this evening.

The West Bottoms are beginning to feel the flood now in earnest. The seepwater and sewage, together with the storm waters yesterday morning gave several sections of that district the appearance for awhile, at least, of being flooded by the river. In the "wettest block" several of the floors were under water for a couple of hours and many o f the business men and merchants in that neighborhood are ready to move if the water should go much higher.

Back water from the sewers yesterday covered sections of Mulberry, Hickory and Santa Fe street between Eighth and Ninth streets. Cellars in this district were all flooded.

The Cypress yards in the packing house district is a big lake. There are from two inches to several feet of water all over the railroad yards. Yesterday the Missouri Pacific had to run through eight inches of water at one place to get trains out from the Morris Packing Company plant. The railroad men say that they will run their trains until the water rises to such a height that the fires in the locomotives will be extinguished.

At the Exchange building at the stock yards several pumps were used to keep the basement free from water which started to come in Sunday night. Several of the cattle pens are flooded so they cannot be used and the Morris plant is almost surrounded by water. It is believed that at the present rate the water will be up to the sidewalks at the Morris plant this morning. It would take six feet more, however, to stop operations at this plant.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

July 8, 1909


Lemons Also Jump From $3.50 to $7
a Box in a Week.

Recurring rains have sent the price of potatoes up from 60 to 90 cents to the wholesalers within the last week. Many of the big fields in the Missouri bottom, between Kansas City and Excelsior Springs, are already under water and teaming from the other fields, as yet dry, is impossible owing to the soft condition of the roads. The result is that practically no home grown potatoes are coming into market. Other garden stuff is about normal. Hot weather and delayed shipments have doubled the price of lemons within a week, quotations having gone from $3.50 to $7 a box. The decline will be as rapid, however, if for no other reason than that lemons are being hurried to the city.

Labels: ,

June 28, 1909


Downpour of Rain Accompanied by
Fall in Temperature.

Thousands of park-goers who were busying themselves eating ice cream cones and other frozen delectables at the amusement parks about 5 o'clock yesterday afternoon noticed a sudden fall in temperature as dark thunderclouds rolled up from the west and spread across the sky. In less than twenty minutes the thermometer showed a drop from 90 to 72 degrees, and in another hour the upper end of the tiny mercury column pointed to 68 degrees.

With the first cool wave regiments of women with dainty outing hats and dresses remembered they had not taken the precaution of bringing their umbrellas and followed closely by the male straw hat brigade charged upon the street car landings.

Word to the effect that more cars than usual were needed at the parks was met promptly by the street car officials. Cars with trailers were rushed to the rescue. Many of the pleasure-seekers found shelter in them before the real downpour came.

According to the local weather bureau 1.16 inches or rain fell.

The storm occasioned some apprehension yesterday evening in Kansas City, Kas. Telephone wires suffered, and numerous accidents of a minor character were reported.

The home of Horace Chandler, 627 State avenue, was struck by lightning. The chimney was demolished, and about an inch of soot was spread over the carpets and furniture in two rooms. Mr. Chandler was asleep in a chair opposite the chimney when the lightning struck, but was unhurt.

Labels: , , , ,

June 26, 1909


On Men's Side Capacity is 112, and
Number of Inmates Is 131.

While the sun's rays sizzled down upon the roof of the Kansas City workhouse yesterday afternoon 131 men lay in cells, panting and sweltering. The cells on the men's side have equal space for fifty-six white men and the same number of negroes, the total capacity being 112. If there are more than that number there are no more bunks for them.

Instead of the men being divided equally, yesterday there were eighty-three white men and forty-eight negroes, making it necessary to place one-third of the white men with the negroes. The municipal farm at Leeds relieves the situation some. There are twenty men there, and if these were in the workhouse it would make living intolerable.

At this season of the year the workhouse is generally running "short-handed." The police, however, in the last month have been extraordinarily vigilant. Many commissions have expired, and more soon will expire, and the new board has announced that recommissioning the men will depend entirely on their records.

The women's department at the workhouse has accommodations for sixteen white and thirty-two negro women. This department, however, is not so crowded. Yesterday there were fifteen white and nineteen negro women prisoners.

The board of pardons and paroles relieved the situation some yesterday by paroling eleven men and two women, all but one of whom will be released today. One of the men will not be released until July 1, when certain conditions have been complied with.

Labels: , , , ,

June 23, 1909


Miss Jenny B. Haug, Knocked to
Ground Unconscious.

Miss Jenny B. Haug, 1615 Wyandotte street, Kansas City, Mo., was rendered unconscious early yesterday morning by a bolt of lightning, which tore away a section of the wall near which she was standing. A light pan which she was holding was torn from her grasp, and her entire right side seemed paralyzed. Although able to talk last night, she was still suffering greatly from the shock. Dr. George F. Berry, who was called, said last night that the right hand and foot was pulled backward in a strained position, and that the patient was in a highly nervous state. Miss Haug's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Haug, live at 2707 North Eighth street, Kansas City, Kas.

Labels: , , , ,

June 16, 1909


Missouri River 19 Feet Last Night,
and Still Rising.

The Missouri river will reach the flood stage here Friday. At the Hannibal bridge guage last night its depth was nineteen feet as an effect of melting mountain snows, and apparently there was more drift on the current here than at any time since the beginning of the freshet.

"I believe the water will rise at least three feet at Kansas City," said P. Connor, the local weather observer, last night. "At St. Joseph, Mo., it will at least go up two feet, or past the flood stage. Twenty-two feet, or one foot above the flood stage, is the worst I expect for Kansas City at present, although a heavy rain just now would cause a more or less disastrous flood. The Kaw river is holding its own, neither rising nor falling, and that is a good indication, but a heavy rain would alter its peaceful aspect.

"The Kaw was rising at Manhattan and going down at Topeka yesterday."

Labels: , , , ,

June 3, 1909


Many Other Clay County People
Shocked During Storm.

EXCELSIOR SPRINGS, MO., June 2 -- Russel Holt, the 16-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Holt, was killed by lightning yesterday afternoon at half past three, in the farm yard of Frank Moore, two miles west of here. Death was almost instantaneous.

With a companion he was cutting across farms when the storm came up and the two fled to the Moore home for shelter. When they reached the dooryard a bolt struck the Holt boy, and although his mate was but a few feet away he was uninjured.

A number of persons were severely shocked by lightning in Clay county, but no other persons were killed. The heaviest rainfall of the day accompanied the electric storm and all of the creeks overflowed their banks.

Labels: , , ,

June 2, 1909


Rooster Was Buried Under Stable
Floor for Seventeen Days.

To be blown away in a cyclone May 24, to land on his back with the floor of the stable in which he had roosted holding him in that position, and nto remain there for seventeen days before he was rescued Monday evening, was the fate of "Captain Scrappy," a "brindle" rooster owned by Alexander Harness, 100 Hardy avenue, Fairmount park. "Captain Scrappy" was immediately given food and drink and had revived to such an extent by yesterday morning when Mr. Harness left for work that he fed himself and drank from a pan of water placed in front of him. The "Captain's" legs appear to be partially paralyzed from his long confinement in the small space beneath the floor.

"When the storm came," said Mr. Harness yesterday, "it took the windows out of the front end of my house, tore off some of the roof and blew my barn away, all but the floor, so completely that I have never found a piece of it. The floor was moved about seventy-five feet.

"All of my chickens were roosting in the barn and how that rooster landed beneath that floor, after being perched above it, would be hard to explain. I lost about eighty young chickens chickens and fold ones, now that 'Captain Scrappy' has been resurrected.

"My neighbors were helping me move the barn floor Monday night, just seventeen days from the time of the cyclone. When I saw the 'Captain' lying there flat on his back I naturally believed him to be dead but when I picked him up he blinked when the light struck his eyes. By holding his mouth open we managed to get food and water down the fighting rooster's throat. This morning he had revived considerably and I believe I may save him yet again. When I go home this evening I am going to massage his cramped limbs and see if some action cannot be rubbed into them."

Mr. Harness is employed by the George B. Peck Dry Goods Company.

Labels: , ,

June 2, 1909



Hundreds Drenched Before They Can
Reach Shelter -- Freak Bolt Turns
Dresser Completely Around.
Severe Shock for Woman.

Kansas City was visited by an electrical storm shortly after 8 o'clock last night which for vividness and intensity while it lasted eclipsed anything seen here in years. For three quarters of an hour almost constant lightning flashes, followed immediately by claps of thunder like a volley of rifles close at hand, made a terrifying spectacle. many houses were struck, chimneys dismantled and street cars disabled. No serious accidents were reported.

Beginning about 2 p. m. heavy showers followed one another at intervals until about 5:30 o'clock. Then the sun came out and all looked well, but both barometer and thermometer indicated there was trouble in the air, and it burst in all its fury two and one-half hours later.

When the storm arrived it came so suddenly that hundreds who had been deceived by the evening sunshine and left their umbrellas at home were drenched before they could reach shelter. Even those in street cars, where the windows were down, got their share of the rain which had no direct course, seeming to come from all directions at once.


The street car system suffered for a time, many of the cars being put out of commission by lightning, and wires were down in several places. At Eighth street and Troost avenue cars were burned out by an electrical shock.

A Westport and a Prospect avenue car suffered similarly while in the vicinity of Fifth street and Grand avenue, an Indiana avenue car was put out of commission at Eighteenth street and Walrond avenue, and a Minnesota avenue car was treated in the same manner at Nineteenth and Walnut streets. The smoke from the burning controllers caused some excitement among the passengers.

The lightning cut some peculiar pranks, possibly the oddest being at the home of George Miller, 4100 Belleview avenue. Here a stone chimney which his built on the outside of the house was struck. Holes were torn in the chimney near the top, and the bolt passed into an upper room and had an engagement with a big dresser which had been standing with its back toward the wall.


When the lightning left the room, breaking out a window across from where it entered, the dresser had been turned completely around and faced the wall. The mirror was shattered and scattered all over the room. The family was below when the shock came and no one was injured.

At the home of W. R. Hall, 628 Freemont avenue, Sheffield, the lightning completely dismantled a brick chimney and passed into the house. Mrs. Hall, who was standing in the room, was thrown down and severely shocked.

While the council was in session at the city hall lightning came in contact with an electric light wire supplying the upper house chamber and burned out a fuse, putting all of the wall lights out of commission. One circuit only was involved.

Labels: , , , , ,

May 16, 1909



Freak Results of the "Twister"
Viewed by the Hundreds Who
Visited Storm-Wrecked

1. Wreck of Christian church blown across Overton avenue. Newton Bird's residence in the background, turned around on foundation. G. B. De Bernardi's home stood in the foreground; completely demolished.
2. Giant elm uprooted by storm. Tree was three feet in diameter.
3. J. J. Peek's home at Independence and Overton avenues, turned over on side.
4. G. F. Baker's new home, blown from foundation.
5. Where H. D. Jett's home, back of Christian church stood. Mrs. Jett and three children were in building but were uninjured.

Hundreds of sightseers yesterday afternoon inspected the devastation wrought by the cyclone on Friday night at Mount Washington. When the visitors looked at the ruined homes, the twisted trolley poles and the debris that once represented suburban dwellings, surprise was expressed that no one was killed outright. It was almost miraculous, when slivers were found firmly embedded in trees, scantlings driven two feet into the ground and nails driven into the sides of walls that were still standing.

When morning came the work of cleaning up the debris commenced. It was found to be a hard task. The members of the Christian church, which was completely destroyed, were on hand early and picked up chairs, carpets, Bibles and song books.

The owners of the destroyed homes looked upon the matter in a philosophical way. Aside from picking up little things which had escaped destruction, they spent most of the time in explaining to the ever-present crowd how it actually happened. Just a roar, like an approaching train, and it was all over. Not even time to get to the cellar was afforded most of the victims. With mist that was impenetrable, the cyclone swept on, but high in the air fragments of trees, timbers and scantlings could be seen. Every one was of the opinion that the storm traversed Mount Washington in less than five minutes.


The path of the storm was not over thirty yards wide. In many instances buildings twenty feet from wrecked ones, were not damaged in the least. Gigantic trees that had stood for more than 100 years were broken off at the base, while others in softer ground were torn up by the roots. A sugar maple in one instance was transplanted into a neighboring garden.

According to the physicians who attended the twenty or more injured, there will likely be no fatalities. The Greer boys who were caught under their home when they attempted to reach the cellar were taken to the Sheffield hospital and both will recover. They remained wedged between the floor and the foundation before they were released by the neighbors. Seth Greer, 17 years old, was injured the least of the two. Lee, the 5-year-old boy, is still in critical condition, although the physicians are hopeful of his ultimate recovery.

Mrs. J. W. Robinson, who lives in Fairmount addition, and whose house was blown to pieces, is dangerously injured. Her head was cut, her left side bruised and she probably has received internal injuries. Mrs. Josie De Bernardi, 61 years old, who received a broken right arm, will recover.


All who witnessed the storm were of the opinion that it was one of the old-fashioned Kansas cyclones. G. F. Baker, whose new home at the corner of Overton and Independence avenues, was completely wrecked, stood a block away and watched the "twister." The house was not occupied.

The insurance men did a thriving business yesterday among the residents of Mount Washington who escaped storm injury. Agents from Kansas City firms arrived with the first street cars, and it is likely that before last night, the suburb was fairly well covered. No one seemed to be anxious to take further risk.

Dr. Charles Nixon and Dr. William L. Gilmore, the resident physicians of Mount Washington, say little rest Friday night. The two men practically covered the entire district devastated by the cyclone. Both were besieged by persons who desired them to come to the aid of injured friends. Physicians from Independence arrived in a motor car and attended many.

Mrs. John Reed, who was living in a tent in the Fairmount addition, saved herself from serious injury by her presence of mind. She looked out of the tent when she heard the roar of the storm. She knew that it would be impossible to reach safety. Alongside of the tent was a barbwire fence. She grasped one of the posts and waited until the storm struck. her lacerated arms showed that her experience had been a trying one. She didn't give up, though.

"I locked my arms," she said, "and closed my eyes. It was all over in a minute. It was simply awful. I was lifted from the ground, but I wouldn't let go."

Labels: , , , , ,

May 15, 1909



Many Homes Wrecked or Demol-
ished -- Trees and Poles Razed,
Air Line Train in the
Twister's Path.

Sweeping across the country just east of Kansas City, a tornado tore down many buildings and injured more than twenty persons about 6 o'clock last night. The greatest damage was done in the neighborhood of Mount Washington and Fairmount park. The storm originated near the intersection of the Blue Ridge road and Fifteenth street, and crossed the country to the northeast.

Little damage was done by the tornado until it reached the street car line at Mount Washington, and from there until it reached the Missouri river it left only wreckage in its path. It moved some houses from the foundations, demolished others, and razed trees and telegraph poles. Many persons were injured by flying timbers. Several of the injured are not expected to live, and quite a number not bruised suffered from nervous shock.


Wreckage was blown high in the air, and witnesses say that roofs were seen at an altitude of 200 feet. Timbers carried onto the street car and railroad tracks delayed transportation, and made it dangerous for traveling. Flying timbers threatened injury to all those who braved the storm to go the the assistance of the unfortunates whose homes were demolished. Immediately after the force of the tornado had passed, men and women gathered to the aid of those needing it and surgeons were sent for from Independence.

Many miraculous escapes were recorded and the storm played havoc with everything in its path. Trees several feet in diameter were uprooted and then broken off, while telephone and telegraph wires and poles were blown down which tended to make the work of rescue the harder. As fast as the injured persons were found friends and neighbors carried them to their homes and summoned medical aid.


The Air Line train, which is due to leave Independence at 5:45, was directly in the path of the tornado, and at Mount Washington narrowly escaped being wrecked. A roof whirling in the air 200 feet high passed over the rear coach, and the end of the roof tore a hole in the top of the car. A timber was driven into the roof of the coach, and was sticking there when the train pulled out.

The concrete and steel bridge of the Chicago & Alton crossing the electric line leading to Fairmount park was moved four inches from its foundation. Residences on the hill were blown down and the wreckage strewn along the Chicago & Alton and Missouri Pacific tracks.

The storm struck the ground at various places, and where it did any damage its path was estimated to be about 150 feet wide. Many persons saw its approach and attempted to avoid it by running across the country or retiring to the cellars of their homes. One woman who ran into a barn was left unconscious on the ground, while the barn was whipped off the ground and carried away. What became of it was not known last night.


Those who noticed the storm as it approached their neighborhood, said that it seemed to gather velocity and destructiveness as it neared Mount Washington. The cloud, looking like a reddish dust cloud, twisted and whirled with rapidity. It would travel high in the air and then swoop down to earth, smashing and damaging everything it struck.

Throughout and preceding the tornado there was a heavy rainfall. Shortly after the crest of the storm had passed the wind swept territory, the work of rescue was well under way. Later the rain continued, and delayed the recovery of property which had been blown away.


The low hanging cloud, as it swept around Mount Washington cemetery, took on a funnel like shape when it neared the Metropolitan tracks. The home of George Ogan at 915 Greenwood avenue was the first in the path of the storm. Mr. and Mrs. Ogan, with their daughter, Mrs. J. Jenkins, were in the house, which was lifted from its foundation. After it passed the Ogan home the storm redoubled its fury.

John Archer, a Metropolitan motorman, who was working on a new house near the street car tracks, was struck by a flying timber. Dr. Gilmore, who treated him, found that he was suffering from a severe scalp wound.

At the barn of A. J. Ream not enough timbers were left to show that it ever existed. Mr. Ream's large house, fifty feet to the east, was not damaged. Across the street car spur to Fairmount park, Orli Can's home was blown to pieces. No one was at home.

Next to the Cain home was a new building being erected by C. L. Green, an insurance man, who is in Cleveland, O., at the present time. In the rear was a small cottage in which the family lived. When the storm struck Mrs. Greer and the two sons attempted to reach the cellar. The mother was not injured, but the boys were caught by the house as it ripped from the foundation. A. J. Ream rescued the boys from under the wreckage.


Adjoining the Greer home was the residence of Will McCay, a decorator for Emery, Bird, Thayer Dry Goods Company. Mrs. McKay and her 8 year old daughter, Grace, were in the dining room. The roof was carried fifty feet away. Both were hurt.

Next in its path the storm destroyed two large residences belonging to H. D. Jett, a commission man. Mrs. Jett and three children were in the smaller of the two houses. The building was completely destroyed. None of the four were injured.

At the southwest corner of Independence and Overton avenues the storm did its worst. The Christian church, a building erected four years ago, was wrecked beyond recognition. Not a wall was left standing. Had the windstorm struck two hours later, the building would have been occupied, as revival services are held every night.

J. S. DeBernardi's home, directly south of the church, was shifted from its foundation, and Forest, his 10-year-old son, was slightly injured. Charles F. Miller's residence, fifty feet to the west, was shifted from the foundation, but no one was injured, though the family were at home.

Mr. and Mrs. J. S. DeBernardi, the parents of J. S. DeBernardi, lived directly across Overton avenue from the Christian church. The five room cottage was literally blown away, and Mrs. DeBernardi was dangerously injured. Her left arm was broken and she was later taken to Independence for treatment. A new house belonging to J. S. DeBernardi, fifty feet away, was also blown away.


In its course, the storm next struck the home of W. B. Rich. The house was shifted form its foundation. Steele Byrd's new residence was also shifted from its foundation. The Kefferly home, adjoining the Rich's, had its roof blown away.

Fortunately no one was at home when the storm struck the home of J. Peak, the proprietor of the Fairmount Lumber Company. The house was turned completely over and deposited upside down in the cellar. A new residence belonging to G. R. Baker was next, and was totally destroyed. No one was living in the building.

The storm then jumped the deep ravine between Mount Washington and Fairmount addition. John Robinson's cottage was the first struck and was completely demolished. Mrs. Robinson and her 1-year-old daughter were dangerously injured. J. W. Ferguson's cottage was next destroyed. Mrs. Ferguson was injured, but the two children were not touched.


Fred McGrath's home, directly north, was also destroyed, and Mrs. McGrath was dangerously injured. Directly north of the McGrath home Mr. and Mrs. John Reed were living in a tent. Mr. Reed was not at home, and when Mrs. Reed saw the cloud she started to run. Finding that it would be impossible to get away, she seized a piece of fence post and managed to cling to it until the wind was over. Her arms were badly lacerated.

A block north the two-story residence of Alexander Harness was demolished. Mrs. Harness received several scratches. A new dwelling across the street in the course of construction was demolished. The one-room home of James Patterson, a laborer, was blown away. Patterson escaped with slight injuries.

From Patterson's home the tornado lifted and no further damage was reported. Sugar Creek, directly in line with the tornado, only experienced a strong wind.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

May 15, 1909


Due to Contact of Two High Baro-
metric Areas.

Last night's storm was due to a combination of two areas of high barometric pressure, one in the Northwest and the other in the Southeast sections of the country. The air currents, both revolving in a great arc from left to right, met in the vicinity of this city.

"The conflict of these air currents will produce tornadoes," said P. Connor, the local weather observer, yesterday afternoon, while the sky was yet serene.

About 5 o'clock his prediction was justified. Sheets of water descended that had filled the rain gauge 1.15 inches before 6 o'clock. While the rain fall was heavy there was very little high wind in the city, except in gusts.

Telegraph wires between the city and Independence, Pleasant Hill and Elden, Mo., were blown down.

At the south office of the Home Telephone company, Thirty-eighth street and Warwick boulevard, lightning was carried into the building on the wires and all the telephone girls stampeded.

Lightning struck a house at 1816 Summit street, and caused damage amounting to $200. No one was injured.

Labels: , , , ,

May 15, 1909


Traffic on Many Lines Delayed by
Water, Broken Poles and Ob-
structed Tracks.

The service of the Metropolitan Street Railway Company suffered severely from yesterday's storm. Mud and stones on the track at many places on all lines held up cars for 20 minutes at a time. Although all help available was hurried to such places to clear away the impending debris, most of the cars on the long lines, like the Quindaro boulevard line, were from half an hour to a full hour late in arriving at their terminals.

It was said at the general office at Fifteenth street and Grand avenue at 8 o'clock that three-quarters of a mile of trolley wires was down near Fairmount park, and that twelve poles had been broken off at this point. Also it was said service was temporarily suspended on the West Side line in Kansas City, Kas., because of debris across the tracks in the vicinity of Riverview.

Labels: , , , , , ,

April 3, 1909


Eleventh Street Gets a Bath and the
Autos Stampede.

The pedestrian -- that meek and lowly man who ducks and dodges the restless and unruly benzine buggy in Kansas City's crowded thorougfares, and who is smile upon benignly by the carefree chauffeur, had his inning yesterday, or he might have had he been along Eleventh street, between Grand and Walnut, for automobilists who attempt to frisk up and down "Petticoat lane" have their troubles.

Early yesterday afternoon the street springling brigade took special pains to give the aforementioned section of Eleventh street a good bath. They succeeded in mixing a mud that made the surface of the asphalt as slippery as the floor of the oleo room in a packing plant. And when the first autoist to attempt to perform on the slippery surface rounded the corner of Eleventh and Grand the pedestrian's fun began, for the auto refused to make a scheduled stop. In a few minutes the street was full of smoking machines that groaned and chugged to no avail. They were all stuck.

There were cross words from chauffeurs and merry "ha-has" from assembled pedestrians. As the wheels of the autos whirled about like a buzzsaw and the cars did not move an inch, the merry crowds on the sidelines offered numerous suggestions.

"Give 'er the sand, pal," suggested a man who wore the garb of a motorman.

What they did give a majority of the stubborn cars before they got them out of the trouble district was plenty of push.

And the "common people" stood by and smiled broadly.

Labels: , , , , , ,

February 14, 1909


Pedestrians and Horses Had Perilous
Time of It Last Evening.

Slipping, sliding, skidding, gliding horses and wagons delayed traffic, blocked the street cars, frightened pedestrians and were generally in the way of each other and everybody else in the downtown district yesterday afternoon, when, after 4 o'clock, a drizzling rain froze on the pavements and sidewalks, covering everything with a thin coating of ice. Horses and men, as well as many women, fell on the streets.

On Main street, on the grade between Tenth and Eleventh streets, and on Eleventh street from Walnut to McGee it became necessary to station extra police to assist the regular crossing policemen in handling teams. Loaded wagons were not allowed to pass up or down on these grades, the experience of a year ago, when a large wagon, heavily loaded, skidded down Eleventh street, overturning in its slide damaged obstacles in its path, and broke a plate glass window at the corner of Eleventh and Walnut streets, being sufficient warning.

There were numerous minor accidents with street cars and several collisions with wagons. At Thirteenth street and Troost avenue, a wagon skidded into a Troost car, smashing the front end of the car and delaying traffic for a while.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

February 3, 1909


Body of Aged Man Fouond in De-
serted Room.

Though Union cemetery has many unmarked graves, it practically has none where the deceased is unidentified. But that list will be increased today when the body of an old man is taken from Stewart's undertaking rooms to the cemetery.

When the body was found Monday morning in a deserted room of John Girado's saloon, 501 East Third street, by Patrolman L. A. Tillman, the pockets were empty with the exception of one rusty nail. There was no clue to his identity. The old man had crept in from the alley and opened the rickety rear door by himself. He died of hunger and cold.

Labels: , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

The Son of Jesse James is Accused of a Train Robbery at Leeds ... Can he get a fair trial in Kansas City?
The Trial of Jesse James, Jr.

>>More KC Books<<

As an Amazon Associate this site may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory