Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

January 24, 1910


Kansas City, St. Joseph and St.
Louis Department Officials
In Conference Here.

Police officials from St. Louis and St. Joseph were in conference with Captains John J. Casey and John J. Ennis of the Kansas City department at police headquarters yesterday afternoon to formulate plans for the passage of a police pension fund bill through the state legislature.

The meeting was held in the private office of Commissioner Ralph B. Middlebrook, the commissioner himself being present. No definite line of action was decided upon. The rough draft of the bill already formulated requests that all cities in the state of Missouri with a population of 100,000 be allowed to set apart a percentage of their yearly income for the maintenance of a pension fund for the support of police officers, who, by reason of illness or injuries, may be incapacitated. Commissioner Middlebrook stated that he thought that it was a humane idea and worthy of success.

The visiting officers are Inspector Major Richardson McDonald, Lieutenant T. J. Donegan and Sergeant James Healey of St. Louis, and Chief of Police Charles Haskell, Sergeant Martin Shea and Patrolman Joseph O'Brien from St. Joseph. Another meeting will be held this morning.

Labels: , , , ,

January 22, 1910


The Brunswick-Balke Team
Hangs Up Score of 2,209 in
St. Louis Tourney.

ST. LOUIS, Jan 22. -- The Brunswick-Balke five from Kansas City hung up a new Middle West bowling record tonight in the tournament here, when they shot 2,909, breaking last year's record of 2,831, held by the Nichols team, also of Kansas City.

J. Yerkes and W. H. Lockwood of St. Louis made the high mark of the tournament in the two-men events this afternoon with 1,223. The 633 score of Fred Schultheis of St. Louis is in the singles, the opening day, still stands.

Today was largely given over to visiting teams from Omaha, Kansas City, Topeka, St. Joseph, Columbus, Neb., and Doe Run, Mo. These teams also will bowl tomorrow. The fight for the 1912 tournament lies between Kansas City and Omaha. It is believed the latter contingent will land it, as it has the backing of the St. Joseph bowlers.

Results of the first set of five-men teams tonight follows:

Felix & Son, Kansas City, 2,597.
Gordon & Koppel, Kansas City, 2,699.
Brunswick-Balke, Kansas City, 2,909.
Kid Nichols, Kansas City, 2,663.
Muelbach, Kansas City, 2,701.
Grayols-Grand, St. Louis, 2561.
St. Louis H. & R. Co., St. Louis, 2,458.
Keen Kutter, St. Louis, 2,352.

Labels: , , ,

December 17, 1909


C. K. Hamilton Injured at St. Joe,
Will Come Here Today.

ST. JOSEPH, MO., Dec. 16. -- Charles K. Hamilton made a flight of a mile and a half in the Glenn Curtiss aeroplane at 5 o'clock this afternoon against a thirty-five mile wind and, coming back to his quarters at Lake Contrary, reached a speed of sixty-five miles an hour. He was unable to bring the aeroplane down at the usual place of lighting because of the great speed and the velocity of wind, and he was forced against a high board fence and suffered painful injuries to both legs and his body. The aeroplane was damaged only slightly. He previously made three successful flights of three-quarters of a mile each over Lake Contrary, the time in each case being four minutes for the trip. Hamilton will be able to go to Kansas City tomorrow, where he expects to make more flights.

Labels: ,

December 9, 1909


Gas Users Suffer by Reason of Short-
age -- Coal Men Can't Supply
Demand for Fuel.

ST. JOSEPH, MO., Dec. 8. -- Zero weather, with natural gas cut off in many parts of the city, leaves patrons shivering and suffering here tonight. General Manager K. M. Mitchell of the gas company announced that 750,000 cubic feet held in reserve in the great tanks of the company would be turned into the mains for patrons to use in preparation of the evening meal. The supply was turned on all right, but disappeared before it reached the suburban residences. Cold and scanty dinners added to the anger and discomfort of gas patrons.

Coal men are unable to meet the immediate demands for fuel. Manufacturing plants and public school buildings likely will be compelled to close tomorrow unless the gas supply is improved. Officers of the gas company can give no assurances of an improved condition.

There is a demand that artificial gas be manufactured to tide over recurring shortages of the natural product from Oklahoma and Kansas fields, but in this event charges for gas for fuel and lighting will be quadrupled.

Labels: , ,

November 2, 1909



Pair Disappear From Couch Hotel,
Where They Had Been Befriend-
ed, Taking New Clothes
and $90 in Money.

A diary, which had been written in plaintive words the sufferings of a woman who loved well, but not wisely, is the only memento Mrs. J. W. Couch, proprietress of the Couch hotel, 1711 1/2 Grand avenue, has of Early Elbridge and his wife, Edna, whom she befriended when they needed help, and who repaid her by robbing her.

There are only two dates in the diary, which was discovered after the couple had departed from the hotel, where Mrs. Couch had given them employment, after hearing their pitiful tale of destitution. They took with them a lot of wearing apparel and $90 in money, belonging to Mrs. Couch.

The writing reveals Bill Sykes and Nancy in real life; a life of theft on the part of one, hunger and suffering on the part of the other, and yet the woman evidently is contented with the love which she seems to think the man holds for her.

The first date is April 18, and the last July 1. In one instance only is it possible to tell where the events recorded occur.

The opening paragraph reads:

"I am sorry to leave this town, but Earl thought we had better get out. As the train started I said to Earl: "We had better get off and go back, so that woman won't suspect we stole her $20," but just then the train started and Earl said it was too late."


The next was:

"We have been in St. Joseph now three months, the longest we have been anywhere. Earl split a man's head with a meat cleaver today, though, and I suppose we will have to go away for good."

The next showed some of the hardships she endured with the man she loved and was as follows:

"We haven't had any food for twenty-four hours, and we are nearly starved. We slept last night in an orchard, not being able to get bed or shelter."

Evidently there had been a silver lining to the black clouds of the last paragraph for the next one read:

"Earl is better to me every day. I love him so much. He treats me better than I deserve, I know."

Misfortune and despondency were evidently again knocking at her heart when she wrote the next one:

"I wonder what that woman, Mary, will think of us, we left so abruptly last night. I guess we will always be on the move."

The next one evidenced that the hard luck of the couple was continuing:

"Arrived in the big city yesterday, dead broke and awfully hungry. This is another starving period. If we only could get a job."


The last paragraph was the most important from a police standpoint. It shows that the hardships have in no wise cooled the ardor of her affections for the man who caused it all. It reads:

"Earl is five feet, eight inches in height and weighs about 145 pounds. He has dark hair and eyes. My love for him grows every day. Isn't it funny we are both 21 years old and there is only a few days difference in our ages."

Mrs. Couch informed the police that the couple came to her house a week ago and related a pitiful tale of suffering. She took them in, nad they had since been working around the place in return for their board.

Saturday night when Mrs. Couch left the couple at home to go to market, they informed her they were going right to bed, and she need not awaken them on her return. Sunday morning when Mrs. Couch went to call them she discovered two dummies, made of old clothes, in the bed.

Further investigation showed that $90 had been taken, together with Mr. Couch's best suit of clothes and Mrs. Couch's entire new fall outfit including shoes, hat, lingerie, etc. Mrs. Couch notified her husband, who was in Baldwin, Kas., and he will arrive here this morning.

Mrs. Couch also learned that Elbridge had failed to pay $15, with which she had entrusted him, to a butcher and furniture dealer to whom she owed some money.

Labels: , , , ,

October 25, 1909



Five Thousand Spend Entire Day at
Scene of Tuesday's Triple Trag-
edy-- Officers Unable to
Find Clues.

Smarting under the knowledge that the Wyandotte county officials virtually regard them as suspects in the investigation of the murder of Alonzo R. Van Royen, Mrs. Margaret Van Royen and Rose McMahon, James and Patrick McMahon, brothers of the slain women, yesterday emphatically declared their innocence, and gave Sheriff Al Becker and his assistants to understand that they were ready to answer any question that might be asked of them.

James Downs, an uncle of the boys, who lives in Kansas City, Mo., went to the McMahon farm on the Reidy road yesterday afternoon, and assured them that ever member of the McMahon family is convinced absolutely of their innocence and stands ready to lend them any support.

"The way this family has been harassed for the last few days is an outrage," Downs said. "I came over here today after I became convinced that there is a strong feeling that the boys had something to do with this tragedy. I have known these boys all their lives, and I believe them."


"That boy Jim, who has been sweated at all hours of the day and night and in every conceivable place, wouldn't harm a chicken. Not alone that, he has never been familiar with fire arms. He couldn't shoot anything."

Under Sheriff Joseph Brady took a statement from Mrs. Ellen McMahon, mother of the boys, yesterday afternoon, and this further incensed Downs.

"Mrs. McMahon is not in good health," he said, "and this affair has put her on the verge of a nervous breakdown. If this thing is continued there is no telling what may happen to her."

Richard O'Brien, a brother-in-law of St. Joseph, Mo., also visited the McMahon home yesterday, and expressed sentiments similar to those of Downs. O'Brien married a daughter of Mrs. McMahon and the wedding took place just seven weeks prior to the tragedy.


"I have the fullest confidence in the boys," O'Brien said, "and I think it is folly for the officials to act in this manner. I have no theory to offer as to the motive for the murder. No member of the family can offer the slightest reason for the killing, but we are all certain that the boys had no hand in it whatsoever, and, in my opinion, the officers ought to get on the right track.

Patrick McMahon has never been subjected to a thorough examination by the officials, but he told them yesterday that he is ready to meet them at any time and at any place. That he will talk to them and answer their questions at his own home, in the sheriff's office or in the Van Royen house, as they choose, was Patrick McMahon's calm challenge to the sheriff's party.

Before the arrival of the sheriff and his deputies yesterday afternoon, Patrick McMahon and his uncle were making ready to go to Kansas City, Kas., to urge the sheriff to take a complete statement in regard to the boy's knowledge of the tragedy.


The tragic situation in the home of the McMahons is almost without parallel. Five weeks prior to the killing of the Van Royens and Rose McMahon a daughter, who had become a nun, died. The family still was mourning the loss of this favorite child when they were confronted by the tragedy of last Tuesday. Mrs. McMahon, who has twice in her life suffered mental derangement, is now suffering from the intense ordeal to which she has been subjected, and at the home, also, is Timothy McMahon, who has been a hopeless invalid for two years, and who cannot live long.

These things were little realized by 5,000 persons who journeyed to the Van Royen and McMahon farms yesterday to satisfy a morbid curiosity. Never in the history of Wyandotte county has such a great throng visited the rural sections. They came in wagons, buggies and automobiles. Hundreds of them walked all the way from the end of the Minnesota avenue car line, fully five miles.


Through the entire day until dusk the curious strolled about the Van Royen premises, peered through the windows of the one-room shack where the murders were committed, and eagerly sought souvenirs to take home with them. The house was locked, but occasionally someone would come along who had a key that would open the door and then the visitors would get an opportunity to see the interior.

In the great crowd were hundreds of women, hundreds of boys and girls, hundreds of men. It is thought that every amateur detective in Kansas City went to the Van Royen farm yesterday. From the house many of the curious wended their way down the ravine where Van Royen was killed. The half-cut logs upon which Van Royen was working when he met his end were there and the souvenir gatherers grabbed chips, sprigs and leaves as a memento of their visit. Around the little ravine where Van Royen's body lay when it was discovered the crowd was thick.

Labels: , , , , ,

September 1, 1909


Riders in Kansas City on Last Leg
of Their Trip.

Charles W. Neff, a jeweler of St. Joseph, Mo., and C. C. Anderson, an automobile dealer of Creston, Ia., arrived in Kansas City last evening ready for the last leg of a 1,600 mile motorcycle trip which started at St. Joseph and circled around Beaver.

It was dark when the men reached town and they lost no time in getting into barber chairs at the Blossom house. Later in the evening they visited the Union depot and met some friends whom they were expecting from Oklahoma.

"Our ride is the longest on record so far for a motorcycle in this section of the country," said Mr. Neff. "We meant to prove that it could be made and we have succeeded in demonstrating that fact. We made the trip to Beaver from St. Joseph in three days. We went by way of Topeka and Garden City and on our return hit the Santa Fe trail and followed it all the way. We had trouble but once and that was a single tire puncture which occurred to my wheel. We will leave for St. Joseph in the morning."

Labels: , , , , , ,

August 4, 1909



Stepfather Locates Stolen Child,
Dressed in Girl's Clothing, on
Train -- Craft to Be

The alleged kidnaper of little 4-year-old Harry Jacobs, who was coaxed from the home of T. H. Jacobs, his "grandpa," 1508 Olive street, about 1 o'clock Monday afternoon, was so unsuccessful in covering up his tracks that the child was gone from home but seventeen hours. He was returned to his mother about 8 o'clock yesterday morning. As soon as Mrs. Jacobs heard a description of the suspected kidnaper she thought of her brother, Clarence M. Craft of St. Joseph, Mo. Little Harry had lived three years with Mrs. Frank M. Baker, mother of Mrs. Jacobs and Craft.


After the search in this city had been in vain, Harry Jacobs, the stolen boy's step-father, decided to leave for St. Joseph Monday evening. He wired for detectives to meet him at the train there at 11 p. m., intending to go to the home of the baby's grandmother, Mrs. Baker.

Soon after the train had left Leavenworth, Kas., Jacobs, suspecting that the kidnaper might have gone to that city by the electric line, started to walk through the train. In the coach immediately ahead of the one in which he had been sitting Jacobs saw Craft, Frank M. Baker, Craft's step-father, and the baby. Little Harry was dressed as a girl.

Jacobs approached and asked what was meant by spiriting the child away. He says Craft replied that it was none of his business as he was not the boy's father. As the train slowed up at the Union depot in St. Joseph, Jacobs says Craft attempted to escape with the child by running around the baggage room. He was caught and turned over to Detectives Parrott and Gordon of the St. Joseph police force.


"I saw that Craft was placed safely behind the bars," said Jacobs yesterday afternoon. "At the packing house I learned that Baker had been at work there at 1 o'clock Monday afternoon so he was released. He had gone to Leavenworth to meet Craft."

Jacobs asked that Craft be held. Yesterday he went before the prosecutor here and swore to a complaint charging kidnaping. Justice John B. Young issued the warrant which was turned over to Chief of Police Frank Snow with instructions to send a man to St. Joseph after the alleged kidnaper. Mrs. Jacobs, who was greatly alarmed over the absence of her child, says she will prosecute her brother.

In an attempt to learn where little Harry's clothes had been changed the boy was taken out yesterday morning by his step-father. He led the way through the alley in the rear of the house at 1508 Olive street, from whence he was taken, to Fifteenth street. When they reached the fountain at Fifteenth street and the Paseo, which little Harry calls "the flopping water," he stopped. He said that he was taken into a house near there which had a broken porch. His clothes were taken off and girl's apparel substituted.


After leaving the place, t he little boy said, his overalls, waist, etc. of which he had been divested, were wrapped in a piece of paper and thrown over a fence. The house could not be located. The child said several people were present when the shift was made. Candy and the promise of a long ride on the choo choo cars," is what lured the boy away from home.

Jacobs and the stolen boy's mother have not been married long. Mrs. Jacobs was first married in St. Joseph several years ago to Harry Burke from whom she was later divorced. For three years she left her child with her mother, who later married Frank M. Baker, a packing house carpenter. The grandmother and Baker became greatly attached to the child and did not want to give him up when the mother remarried. Jacobs is a cook.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

August 4, 1909


From Kansas City to St. Joseph in
Fifty-Five Minutes.

Former State Senator Ernest Marshall of Saline county, while in Kansas City yesterday, said that within ten days graders will start work upon one of the proposed trolley lines from St. Joseph to Kansas City.

"This is the company which has its headquarters in St. Joseph," said Senator Marshall. "Nearly all the money we want is in sight. We will come into Kansas City over the Winner bridge piers. It will be forty-eight and a half miles from Ninth and Grand avenue here to Francis street in St. Joseph, and we will carry passengers from one street to the other in fifty-five minutes."

Labels: , , ,

August 3, 1909



Police of St. Joseph Think
They've Found Him.
Four-Year-Old Harry Jacobs, Kidnaped.

Lured by a stick of candy, Harry Jacobs, 4 years old, was kidnaped yesterday afternoon from in front of his stepfather's parents, Mr. and Mrs. T. H. Jacobs, 1508 Olive street. The kidnaper, who worked for two hours before accomplishing his end, meets a description of the boy's uncle.

Half crazed at the the loss of her boy, from whom she had been separated for over three years, Mrs. Jacobs collapsed at the Union depot yesterday afternoon while searching for him. Dr. M. W. Pichard, who attended her, said her condition was serious. No trace of the child was found.

At 3 o'clock yesterday afternoon the missing child was seen at the Union depot by a waiting passenger. In the mean time a dozen relatives, assisted by the police, scoured the city for the little fellow all afternoon and evening, but up to a late hour last night had found no trace of him.

Almost four years ago Della Craft of St. Joseph, Mo., was married to Harry Burke of that place. They were divorced a few months later. Mrs. Burke would not live at home, and she could not find employment where she could keep her boy with her, so she arranged with her mother to care for him. She says that she paid her mother $10 a month to care for the child.


Three months ago at Horton, Kas., Mrs. Burke married Harry Jacobs, a cook. Before the ceremony he promised her that she could have the boy live with her.

In the meantime Mrs. Jacob's mother married Frank Baker, who became greatly attached to the boy and did not want to give him up. The child was finally given to his mother and her husband, and they departed for Eastern Kansas. They came to Kansas City about two weeks ago.

For the first few days they stopped at the home of Jacob's parents, Mr. and Mrs. T. H. Jacobs, 1508 Olive street. They then found apartments at 1613 Park Avenue.

Little Harry Jacobs developed a fondness for his new "grandma" and spent much of his time at her house, only a short distance from his home. Yesterday morning a man who, the mother declares, was her brother, appeared in the neighborhood of the Olive street address. A tinner was doing work on an adjoining house. The stranger asked the boy if he could not help him and the tinner gave him a dime for assistance in carrying tools and tin to the roof.


A few minutes after 1 o'clock Mrs. Jacobs received the news that her son had been kidnaped She was told that a man who answers the description of her brother had lured the child away with a stick of candy. The child, she was told, recognized the man and willingly accompanied him.

Mrs. Jacobs ran to her step-mother's home. Neighbors hurried to her aid. Jacobs was summoned from his work and he called for his father. The quartette, accompanied by neighbors, hastened to the Union depot. There Mrs. Jacobs was told by a waiting traveler that a boy answering the description of her son accompanied by a man who she says she believes to be her brother and a woman whom she thinks is her mother, had been seen in the station just a short while before.

At that Mrs. Jacobs became hysterical and collapsed. She was carried to the invalids' room in the depot, where Dr. M. W. Pickard was summoned to attend to her. In the meantime friends had organized searching parties and the police of both Kansas City and St. Joseph were notified.


ST. JOSEPH, MO., Aug. 2. -- The police of South St. Joseph investigated this end of the kidnaping story of Harry Jacobs in Kansas City today, and believe the kidnaped boy is now at the home of Frank Baker, 225 West Valley street, South St. Joseph. The police say they have no official request from Kansas City to make an arrest.

Frank Baker is a carpenter, who has been employed by Swift & Co. at the packing plant for several years. The police claim not to know Clarence Craft, said to be a brother of the kidnaped child's mother.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

August 1, 1909


Eloped to St. Joseph With Edmond
Kuenster Last Monday.

Last Monday morning Miss Henrietta Till, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas A. Till, 4404 Campbell street, started for Lake Crystal, Minn., to spend the remainder of the summer. She was expected to arrive there Tuesday morning, and in due time there arrived in Kansas City the expected telegram from Lake Crystal:

"Arrived safely. -- Henrietta."

Yesterday afternoon there came a second telegram, this one to The Journal, dated St. Joseph, saying that Miss Till had been married by Father O'Donnell of the Holy Rosary church in St. Joseph Monday to Edmond Kuenster, a clerk in the Kansas City Bell telephone office. Kuenster had been paying attentions to Miss Till for a year, and it was understood there would be a wedding in the fall.

Asked if there had been opposition to his daughter marrying Kuenster, Mr. Till said there had been on his part, which probably accounted for the elopement.

The first the Till family knew of the marriage was Thursday afternoon when Kuenster called up the Till residence and said he was talking from St. Joseph, where relatives of his mother live. The new Mrs. Kuenster confirmed the report.

After that came news from another source that on Monday afternoon Kuenster and Miss Till, accompanied by a member of one of the Tootle firms in St. Joseph, went to the acting bishop of St. Joseph for a dispensation to allow the runaways to be married there. This was granted and the pastor of the Holy Rosary church performed the ceremony.

Labels: , , , , ,

July 28, 1909


Two Without Certificates Are Dis-
covered by Factory Inspector.

Two more children under the age of 14 years have been discovered working by Assistant State Factory Inspector W. J. Morgan. Their employers sent them home by order of the inspector. This makes four such cases handled by Mr. Morgan since he opened his office here last Thursday.

"Many under 16 are working without the certificate required by the law," said Mr. Morgan yesterday, "but on the whole I am agreeably surprised to find conditions better than I had been led to expect."

Assistant State Factory Inspector Elasco Green of St. Louis is working here at present, giving instruction to Assistant Inspector B. H. Darnell of St. Joseph, who is a new appointee.

Labels: , , ,

July 26, 1909



Johnny and Tommy, 10 and 8 Years
Old, Respectively, Had High
Time While Folks Had
Visions of Kidnaping.


Without permission of their respective parents, Johnny Sinclair, 10, and Tommy Beels, 8 years old, took a day off from home and spent the whole of Saturday night and Sunday in wandering about the towns and parks surrounding Kansas City, much to the consternation, grief and anxiety of their families.

When the boys were missed Saturday night it was learned that they had gone with an employe of Electric park. Mont Shirley, 29 years of age, who has a longing for the companionship of small boys, being evidenced by his having led other urchins on several days' tours of the surrounding country on previous occasions.

Johnny Sinclair is the only son of Aaron Sinclair, janitor of the Boston flats, 3808 Main street. Johnny's father gave him a dollar Saturday noon and told him to do what as he wanted with the money.


Barefooted and without his coat, Johnny looked up his younger friend, Tommy, youngest son of H. T. Beels, 107 East Thirty-ninth street, and proposed a trip to Electric park. Tommy was willing and thought it best not to go into the house for his hat and coat, for his mother might thwart their schemes. So the boys left the Beels home about 2 o'clock Saturday afternoon.

When 5 o'clock came Mrs. Beels missed her son. Within a few minutes, however, he telephoned his mother that they were at Electric park and were going to take a boat ride with a man whom they had found congenial. Mrs. Beels told the boy to come home immediately.

Tommy had other views in the matter and when Shirley suggested an extensive tour of the city, to include Kansas City, Kas., Lansing, Leavenworth, Forest, Fairmount, Swope and Budd parks and all at his own expense, the boy readily fell in with the plan. Mothers were not interviewed.

Dire thoughts of drowning, kidnaping and disaster beset Mrs. Beels when her boy did not materialize at supper time. Persons in charge of the park were questioned and it was learned that the two boys had gone away from the park with Shirley. None knew where.


Mrs. Beels, at midnight, went to the Sinclair home and inquired there for her son and learned that Johnny Sinclair was also missing. That was the first idea of Johnny's whereabouts which the Sinclairs had. Search parties were organized and the park secured.

Yesterday morning a young man went to the Sinclair home and told that he had seen the two boys and Shirley at the Union depot and that they were going to St. Joseph and H. L. Ashton, a friend of the Beels family, who is well acquainted with the mayor of that city, called him over long distance 'phone and had the town searched for the runaways. Then came a telegram that the three had been seen early Sunday in Leavenworth.

Meanwhile Mrs. Sinclair and Mrs. Beels were beside themselves with fear and anxiety for their children. They secured the promise of the park authorities to drag the lake in the park this morning, and the search for the missing increased in strength and vigilance each hour.

Shirley's family had been notified of the disappearance, and Charles J. Blevins, Shirley's brother-in-law, hastened to Leavenworth, hot on the trail. He returned empty-handed.


About 11 o'clock last night the boys returned home, dusty, wet and tired. They had a wonderful story to tell of their trip and adventures. They had been through every park in the city, and seen the National cemetery and Soldiers' home at Leavenworth from a car and had a jolly time in general. Saturday night was spent in Kansas City, so Tommy Beels says, and the three went to a rooming house. He did not know the location. Late last night Shirley gave the two boys their carfare and put them on a Rockhill car at Eighth and Walnut streets and left them.

Shirley is said to have a habit of giving young boys a good time at his own expense. Two years ago, it is claimed, he took two boys to Leavenworth and stayed there for three days, after which the boys returned safe and sound.

Shirley works in the park and every Saturday he has been in the habit of spending his week's wages upon some boys whom he might meet. His brother-in-0law, Mr. Blevins, said that Shirley is nothing but a boy himself. When he was 4 years of age, according to relatives, Shirley fell upon his head, and he has remained stunted, mentally, ever since. Shirley longs for the companionship of children, and he is attractive to them since he plays with them and talks with them as though he were 9 rather than 29 years of age.


Johnny Sinclair, nervous, excited, scared and tired, last night told a clear and fairly consistent story of how Shirley and Tommy Beels and he passed the time between Saturday at 2 p. m. and 11 o'clock last night, when the boys returned home.

In the main details Johnny clung to his story. He fell asleep while being questioned by his father, and that ended the questioning. In substance, he says:

"Shirley invited Tommy and me to go to Swope park, while were were at Electric park, where he was working. We went to Swope park with him and in the evening we went down town and went to several nickel shows.

"Then we went out to Swope park again, but late that night. Shirley wanted to go down town to cash a check. When we got down town the saloons were all closed, and we finally went to bed at a place near Eighth and Main streets.


"The next morning we had a nice breakfast of beefsteak and potatoes and coffee, and then we went over to Kansas City, Kas., and there we took a car for Leavenworth. We saw the penitentiary and the Soldiers' Home from the car, and the National cemetery, but we didn't stop there.

We went to Leavenworth and spent the time just running around. That's all we did. I was never there before, and it was fun. We had a dinner of bologna sausage and cheese, and about 8 o'clock we started for home."

Besides the fright which was occasioned the two families of the boys no harm was done, except one of the boys was forced to take a hot bath and swallow a dose of quinine after he reached home. Johnny's original $1, which started the trouble, remains intact. Shirley stood the expense on his pay of $12, which he drew from the park on Saturday afternoon.

Shirley lives one block southeast of the park.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

July 18, 1909


Iowan Coming to Meet Old Circus
Friends Tomorrow.

ST. JOSEPH, Mo., July 17. -- From circus clown to coffee salesman is the odd step that was taken by John W. Swisher, long one of the most famous clowns this country knew. For years he was the principal funmaker with the old John Robinson show, and he and Al White, now Ringling's best clown, were associates of the sawdust track. White will be in Kansas City Monday with the Ringling show, and Swisher will not miss the chance to renew the acquaintance.

When Swisher is off the road he lives at Brighton, Ia., the village where he was born and reared. There, too, live the family of White, as well as the relatives of several other circus performers, and Woods, the horse trainer, now touring in Europe. They winter and spend many evenings talking over the days when most of them worked together.

Labels: , ,

July 14, 1909



Mrs. Kate Pierson, a Member, Se-
verely Criticises Humane Officer
Greenman -- One Pardoned and
Ten Paroled Yesterday.

Incarceration at the city workhouse of persons who are mentally deficient came in for severe censure before the pardon and parole board yesterday afternoon. Colonel J. C. Greenman, humane officer at the municipal court, was criticised by Mrs. Kate Pierson.

The matter was brought to the notice of the board by its secretary, L. A. Halbert, who made a report upon certain prisoners, among them three insane persons.

"Colonel Greenman thinks it is his duty to have those insane persons sent to the workhouse," said Mrs. Pierson. "As long as he can keep an insane person away from St. Joseph he is happy. He seems to take a certain pride in keeping down the county's expense."

Frank P. Walsh, another member of the board, said in that connection:

"Whatever may be the cause it is a regrettable situation, and one which needs our attention. We must find some place for those who are insane. The workhouse certainly is not the place for them."


The board decided to make prompt investigation of the reported insane cases and ordered the secretary to secure competent medical assistance to make the necessary examination. The board itself will see to the court order of commitment.

It was asserted that paroled prisoners were often rearrested within a few hours or days following parole. The secretary said in this connection that he had approached a prisoner and asked if he wished to be paroled.

"No, I don't," the prisoner is said to have answered. "I have only three months to serve, and then I am free. If I get paroled I get pinched again right away and have to serve out my parole as well as my new sentence. I'd rather serve it out."

It was decided by the board that the police commissioners be asked about this and also asked to detail a special officer to the board for use in rearresting those paroled prisoners who break faith with the pardon board.

Labels: , , ,

July 13, 1909


Chicagoan Spent Weeks Trying Kan-
sas Document in Missouri.

A man giving his name as David Tillman and his address as Chicago went to the office of Van B. Prather, probate judge of Wyandotte county June 28 and asked for a marriage license for Pazatta Jackson of Richmond, Mo., and himself. The license was granted and he went away smiling. Yesterday he returned to the judge's office accompanied by his fiancee.

"Judge, why didn't you tell me that license wasn't good in Missouri?" he asked. "After I got that license I went to St. Joseph, Mo., to meet the girl and get married. When I got there they wouldn't marry us. I was afraid to get a new license for fear I would be arrested, so I had to wait until I could come back here. And what's more it cost me $8 for car fare."

The judge explained that the license could have been mailed to him or destroyed and no offense committed in getting a new one in Missouri. The judge then married couple.

Labels: , , , ,

July 13, 1909



At Topeka There Was Fall of 0.7
of Foot and at St. Joseph the
Missouri Is Stationary.
Streets Flooded.
Junction of the Kaw and the Missouri Rivers, Looking Toward Kansas City, Missouri

With a rise of over half a foot in the Missouri river yesterday, Forecaster Connor of the local weather bureau predicted a maximum stage of about 27.2 for this morning, which he believes from the information to hand will be the crest. Mr. Connor bases this prediction o n the assumption that there will be no more rains in the Kaw and Missouri river valleys.

The rise in the Missouri yesterday was rapid until 3 p. m. Since that hour it has remained stationary. This was taken by the observer to indicate that the mass of water due to recent rains had crested, and that now only the rise of the day before at Topeka and St. Joseph is to be felt here. At Topeka there was a fall of .7 of a foot during the day, while at St. Joseph the river was stationary.

The heavy rains at St. Joseph yesterday held the river up at that point, but the forecaster does not think they will influence the river there to any appreciable extent, and that by the evening it will show a good fall. The volume of water in the Missouri and Kaw rivers which must pass Kansas City, he asserts, will keep the river at a high stage for several days at least, although there is a possibility of a fall by this evening.

The West Bottoms are beginning to feel the flood now in earnest. The seepwater and sewage, together with the storm waters yesterday morning gave several sections of that district the appearance for awhile, at least, of being flooded by the river. In the "wettest block" several of the floors were under water for a couple of hours and many o f the business men and merchants in that neighborhood are ready to move if the water should go much higher.

Back water from the sewers yesterday covered sections of Mulberry, Hickory and Santa Fe street between Eighth and Ninth streets. Cellars in this district were all flooded.

The Cypress yards in the packing house district is a big lake. There are from two inches to several feet of water all over the railroad yards. Yesterday the Missouri Pacific had to run through eight inches of water at one place to get trains out from the Morris Packing Company plant. The railroad men say that they will run their trains until the water rises to such a height that the fires in the locomotives will be extinguished.

At the Exchange building at the stock yards several pumps were used to keep the basement free from water which started to come in Sunday night. Several of the cattle pens are flooded so they cannot be used and the Morris plant is almost surrounded by water. It is believed that at the present rate the water will be up to the sidewalks at the Morris plant this morning. It would take six feet more, however, to stop operations at this plant.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

July 4, 1909


Cornerstone Will Be Laid at High-
land Today.

The cornerstone of the new chapel in Highland cemetery, a burying ground for negroes at Twentieth street and Blue Ridge boulevard, will be laid this afternoon at 3 o'clock. M. O. Ricketts of St. Joseph, grand master of the negro Masons of Missouri, will be in charge of the services. The building committee is composed of: C. H. Countee, Dr. J. E. Perry, A. T. Moore, L. A. Knox, T. W. H. Williams and T. C. Unthank.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

June 17, 1909



Married Just a Month Ago, Mrs.
Frances Rodgers Burgess Charges
Desertion, and Has Earl
Locked Up.

Just one month ago today, Mrs. Frances Rodgers, 32 years old, matron of the George H. Nettleton home, married Earl Burgess, a distinguished looking stranger from St. Paul, whom she had known a month. Last night, Burgess slept in the holdover at police headquarters and will face Judge Kyle in the municipal court this morning on a charge of vagrancy. Mrs. Burgess, who claims that he deserted her a week ago in St. Joseph, after taking her savings, came to Kansas City, and in person saw that he was safely locked up.

"I'm going to prosecute him," she declared as she stamped her foot last night at the police station. "He has taken every cent of my money, and now I'm penniless."


Burgess, who is 46 years old, and who was wearing a light gray summer suit of clothes, looked extremely downcast when the jailer inspected his pockets. He colored slightly when several miniature photographs of young women were discovered.

"I met him in April," said the wife, "and he represented himself as a retired traveling man. He said that he had property in St. Paul, Oklahoma City and Omaha. In fact he was just traveling because he hated to be idle.

"I became interested at once, and accepted when he proposed marriage. I was then matron of the Nettleton home at a good salary. We went to St. Joseph, my former home, where my two children by my first marriage are in school. He then left me, but returned five days later.


"I forgave the first desertion, but when he again left me last Thursday I couldn't stand it any longer. He claimed that he had gone to St. Paul, but I traced him to Kansas City. I'm mighty glad to see that he is arrested, but I don't know what I'm going to do without money. I don't think he has a foot of property."

Detectives J. J. Raferty and M. J. Halvey arrested Burgess at a rooming house near Fourteenth and Broadway, where he was with a young woman. Mrs. Burgess waited for the detectives at Twelfth street and Broadway, and accompanied them to the station. Burgess implored her not to have him locked up, but his wife ignored his pleadings.

Labels: , , , , , ,

May 20, 1909


Girl Thwarts Young Man's Appar-
ent Attempt at Self-Destruction.

C. S. Brown raised a bottle of carbolic acid to his lips in the Union depot yesterday afternoon, but before he could swallow any of the drug Miss Hilo Pickerell, of St. Joseph, knocked the bottle from his hand. A depot patrolman took Brown to No. 2 police station, but on the intervention of Thomas McLane, a St. Joseph shoe salesman, and George Pickerell, he was not locked up. Miss Pickerell told the police that twice before she had knocked carbolic acid bottles from Brown's hand. Brown in an engraver and until one month ago lived in St. Joseph. Recently he has been staying at the Monarch hotel, Ninth and Central streets. He had gone to the depot to see the Pickerells on a train for St. Joseph.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

May 18, 1909


Two Refuse to Sign Deeds, and Pre-
vent $550,000 Merger of St.
Joseph Master Bakers.

ST. JOSEPH, MO., May 17. -- The wives of two master bakers assumed the role of real trust busters today, and refused to sign deeds for the merger of their properties into a bakers' combine.

The company was to have been capitalized at $550,000. There was to have been $200,000 in preferred stock, and the rest in common stock, and the properties were to have been bonded for $150,000.

Five plants were to have been run the same as they are now, and present owners were to have been managers of their respective plants. Each manager was to hold an office in the company.

Max Oschley and G. Coblenz of Kansas City, and H. T. Westerman of St. Louis, were the promoters. It all looked fine on paper, and the deal seemed in a fair way to go through. Then came an unexpected obstacle. The wives called a halt.

As one of them said:

"I don't propose that my husband shall work for anyone else. He is his own boss now, and he will stay so so long as I have anything to say about it."

Labels: , , ,

April 30, 1909


St. Joseph Asylum Doctors Discuss
Case of John M. Crane.

ST. JOSEPH, MO., April 29. -- The escape of no patient among the criminal insane at the State Hospital for the Insane, No. 2, has caused so great a sensation as the leavetaking of John M. Crane of Kansas City last night.

Although the asylum officials admit Crane's escape, and that he is much wanted, they are making only perfunctory efforts to apprehend the wife slayer's whereabouts. Physicians at State H ospital No. 2 do not hesitate to say that in their opinion Crane has been feigning insanity.

His malady is diagnosed as katonia or stereotypeism, a disposition constantly to the same words and acts, but the physicians say this form of insanity does not manifest itself in persons of his age. He is nearly 50 years old.

Physicians in charge of his case say he talks of his wife as though she were still alive. They say they believe he learned the art of shamming of one Neeley Harris, a "trusty" who was in the hospital ward in the jail at Kansas City where Crane was confined for several months.

Labels: , ,

April 29, 1909


J. M. Crane, Convicted of Murder,
but Committed as a Lunatic,
Coming to Kansas City.

ST. JOSEPH, MO., April 28. -- J. M. Crane, who was committed to the state hospital for the insane at this point about a year ago after having been given a life sentence in the penitentiary from Kansas City, for the murder of his wife, escaped late today. He had been given many privileges at the asylum of late, and it is believed made his escape after carefully planning to elude detection.

Superintendent Kuhn of the asylum is out of the city, and his assistant declines to give any information about Crane or his manner of escape. It was admitted, however, that Crane was gone.

It is said that Crane has a grievance against several persons in Kansas City, who testified against him, and assisted in prosecuting him for the murder of his wife. There is some apprehension that he will endeavor to do these persons bodily harm.


John M. Crane shot and killed his wife, Henrietta Crane, on the evening of July 8, 1905, at her home, 1101 Bales avenue. Mrs. Crane, from whom her husband had been separated for some time, was sitting on the front porch when Crane came up the walk.

When she saw him coming, Mrs. Crane ran into the house. Crane followed. After a struggle in the hall Mrs. Crane ran across the street. As she ran, Crane fired several times, three of the shots taking effect. The woman fell dead in a neighbor's dooryard.

Crane was tried for the crime, and in spite of his plea for insanity was convicted and sentenced to be hanged. Five days before the sentence of death was to be carried out, Governor Folk granted a reprieve of thirty days in order that a commission might examine into the sanity of the man. The reprieve was given upon the request of deputy prosecutors. A number of physicians had examined Crane, and all said he was insane. Several said he was hopelessly demented and could live but a short time.

On May 5, 1907, after having been in the jail hospital for seven months, Crane was pronounced insane by a commission and was taken to the state asylum at St. Joseph.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

April 17, 1909


An Undertaker Here for Nearly
Thirty Years.

James T. Welden, an undertaker in Kansas City from 1870 until 1899, died yesterday at his home in St. Joseph, Mo., where he had lived since retiring from business. Mr. Welden was born in Syracuse, N. Y., in 1831, and served through the civil war on the Mississippi river fleet. After the war he located at Sedalia, Mo., but soon left there to come to this city. He leaves a wife and two daughters. The body will be buried in Morse, Kas., tomorrow afternoon.

Labels: , , , ,

April 14, 1909



"I Shot Him Because He Slapped
Me," One Witness Testified Ac-
cused Woman Said -- Mother
Overcome in Court.
Rose Peterson, On Trial for the Murder of Her Husband.

Facing a charge of murder in the second degree, Rose Peterson, 19 years old, was on trial before Judge Ralph Latshaw in the criminal court yesterday afternoon. Throughout the proceedings she did not once look at the twelve men who are to decide her fate. She is accused of killing her husband, Fred Peterson, on the night of December 22, by shooting him three times while the two were returning home from a dance.

The defendant was neatly gowned in a plain dress of black and wore a turban hat trimmed with black lace. A gold bracelet and two small rings were the only display of jewelry. With her left arm thrown over the back of a chair, Mrs. Peterson buried her face on her arm and sat in that position all afternoon. She constantly trembled and every now and then sobbed aloud when Frank M. Lowe, her attorney, mentioned the name of her husband.


Following I. B. Kimbrell, who in assisting the state in the prosecution, outlined what the state would attempt to prove. Mr. Lowe made a brief resume of what the defense would how in justification of the shooting. He said the defendant practically would be the only witness and would testify that she was induced to go to St. Joseph with Fred Peterson, who promised to marry her there, but that the ceremony was delayed for two months. The defense will endeavor to show that Rose Peterson, after her marriage, earned a living not only for herself, but supported her husband, and that he mistreated her; that he drew a knife and threatened to cut her on one occasion and continually threatened to inform her mother how they had lived in St. Joseph.

"If you do tell, you will never tell anything else," Attorney Lowe said the defendant would testify she replied.

Mrs. Sophia Peterson, mother of Fred Peterson, was the first witness for the state. Grief overcame her at the beginning of her examination.


"I can't stay here," she sobbed, attempting to leave the witness stand.

Judge Latshaw allowed her to retire until she could control her feelings. When she again took the stand she testified that Fred was 20 years old when he was killed, and 18 when he was married. She said she followed the couple to St. Joseph and that Rose, her daughter-in-law, begged her to assist them in being married and that she did so. Mrs. Peterson also told the jury of the young wife coming to her home the night she shot her husband.

"I've shot Fred and if you want to see him alive you will have to hurry," Mrs. Peterson said Rose told her.

The state introduced a letter written by Rose Peterson to her husband about a month before the shooting occurred. It read, in part:

"It is a good thing you ran today. I would have got you, anyhow, if so many people had not been standing around. You stay away from me. Don't you go any place I am. I won't call for you or go to your home or shop anymore. If you want me to go on in that case I will. Fred, go away from Kansas City and don't you come back. I am not afraid of you any more. I will get you if it is ten years. I am willing for my freedom as you are."


Frank Page, a motorman on a Jackson avenue car, testified that as his car passed the scene of the shooting he saw the body of Peterson. He stopped his car and with the conductor, R. E. Moore, went back. At first he testified he saw no one near, but later noticed the defendant climbing up to the sidewalk from the ditch at the side. She was not excited or crying, according to the witness. Asked what she said, he answered:

"She said, 'I shot him because he slapped me. There is the pistol.' She said his folks should be notified and told us where they lived."

"Oh Fred, don't die," the witness said Rose Peterson begged.

On cross-examination the witness admitted that in the preliminary hearing he testified that he had not heard her say her husband had slapped her. Other witnesses were Arthur Detalent, a tailor, who identified the clothes worn by Fred Peterson; Patrolman Patrick Coon, who arrested the defendant, and F. Frick, who was assistant prosecuting attorney at the time, and took the defendant's statement.

A witness for the state who failed to appear was Hal Jensen, a baker. He sent word that he had a batch of dough in process and could not leave it. Judge Latshaw refused to issue for him because he said he used that bread himself and did not want it ruined. The trial will be continued at 9 o'clock this morning.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

February 27, 1909


Unromantic Parent Foils an Elope-
ment and Intended Marriage.

ST. JOSEPH, MO., Feb. 26. -- An unromantic parent is responsible for an unperformed marriage ceremony here today. As a result, the hearts of Samuel Robinwizt, 19 years old, and Lucille Ward, a year his senior, both of Kansas City, must continue to beat as two, for the time being at least.

She came to St. Joseph, her former home, and young Robinwitz followed her. He, in turn, was followed by his father. The boy was delivered to his fond parent, a merchant, who took him back to Kansas City.

Labels: ,

February 19, 1909


Was Married to Mrs. Florence Ma-
hannah in St. Joseph.

J. C. Altman and Mrs. Florence Mahannah slipped quietly away from friends and family, took a morning train for St. Joseph and were married, although the banns had been announced and Easter was set as the day for the wedding. Mr. Altman is the proprietor of the Altman Shoe Company at Eleventh and Walnut streets, and his bride was formerly employed at the Klein Jewelry Company, 1119 Main street.

The couple arrived in St. Joseph about noon time and proceeded directly to the court house where they secured the license. From there they went to St. Joseph's cathedral, where the ceremony was performed by Father Malloon. Mrs. Lou Harper, a sister of the bride, was present and W. X. Donovan of St. Joseph acted as best man. Mr. and Mrs. Altman will make their home at 1231 Holmes street. They returned to Kansas City late last night.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

January 11, 1908


Kansas City Republicans Leave for
Jefferson City on Special Train.

It was a shivering crowd of soldiers and citizens which rushed from the street cars to the warmth of the Union depot in Kansas City at midnight last night. They were members of Kansas City's delegation which left on two special trains over the Missouri Pacific at 12:30 and 1 o'clock this morning for Jefferson City to attend the inauguration of Governor Herbert S. Hadley. The special train bearing the Third Regiment, Missouri national guard, pulled out for Jefferson City shortly before 1 o'clock. The special train bearing the Kansas City politicians and friends of Governor Hadley did not leave until after 1 o'clock.

The Kansas City special was made a part of the St. Joseph, Mo., special. In spite of the cold there was plenty of elation in the departure. Brass bands and plenty of enthusiasm made some of the brave travelers who were waiting for trains venture out on the platform right in the face of the blizzard from the north to see the display of the Kansas City political spirit.

But there were many among the Kansas City delegation who are not politicians. Some were business and professional men, friends of Governor Hadley, who wanted to see Kansas City well represented at the inauguration and who wanted to extend friendly greetings to the new governor.

"It has been more than one score years and ten since we Republicans -- " began a St. Joseph, Mo., politician who wanted to make a speech of welcome to the Kansas City delegation as they climbed aboard the special. But he was interrupted with "Save your ammunition until four years hence, when another Republican governor will be elected."

"It's too great a tax on the memory to recall incidents that happened thirty-seven years ago when the only Republican governor we have elected in that period was inaugurated," remonstrated a Kansas City man.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

December 24, 1908


Mrs. Rose Peterson, Who Killed Her
Husband, Expresses No Re-
gret for the Deed.

Instead of enjoying Christmas day as she expected, Mrs. Rose Peterson, who shot and killed her husband, Frederick L. Peterson, early Wednesday morning, will occupy a cell in the county jail. Her husband accused her of going to a theater with a young man Saturday evening, but the 19-year-old widow says she was arranging Christmas presents at her home.

Mrs. Peterson told Captain Walter Whitsett yesterday that she shot her husband because he slapped her. Two weeks ago she said she threatened to shoot her husband when he slapped her at Eighteenth and Cherry streets. Peterson at that time ran.

She said they were married in St. Joseph, March 31, 1907, and that her husband deserted her in November, 1907. After they were married, Mrs. Peterson told Captain Whitsett, her husband compelled her to work, although she wanted to keep house on what he was earning. His income was $13 a week and she earned $7 and paid all of the living expenses out of it. He often slapped and mistreated her and she decided not to ever stand for it again.

Her husband had taken her to a dance at the Eagles ball room Tuesday night, and the two spent a pleasant evening. Going home on the car about midnight, she said her husband quarreled with her and accused her of seeing other men too often. After leaving the car at Eighteenth street and Askew avenue, he slapped her, and Mrs. Peterson said she then drew her revolver and fired five times.

Mrs. Peterson had sued her husband for divorce, and yesterday she told the police that she had paid her attorney $18 toward his fee.

She sat in the matron's room yesterday and refused to talk about her act, except to Captain Whitsett. With him she was defiant in her answers and declared that she would again shoot any man that slapped her.

She was taken to Justice James. B. Shoemaker's court at 5 o'clock yesterday afternoon for arraignment, but the justice had gone. She will be arraigned this morning.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

December 21, 1908


First Seen by Thousands at St. Jo-
seph, Mo. -- Two Split at
Salina, Kas.

ST. JOSEPH, MO., Dec. 20. -- Lighting the dusky heavens with its incandescent glare, one of the most remarkable meteors ever seen in this part of the country was witnessed by thousands of people in St. Joseph shortly before 6 o'clock this evening.

The meteor was visible for about thirty seconds, while passing over St. Joseph and on southwest until it disappeared in Kansas, where it appeared to drop.

In appearance, the meteor looked like a ball of fire larger than a street lamp, shedding a string of sparks for many feet in its wake. Its course was marked by a peculiar white streak across the sky, which was visible for possibly fifteen minutes after its passage, and then waved as if blown about by the wind, and faded from sight.


WICHITA, KAS., Dec. 20. -- (Special.) The northern sky was brightly illuminated this evening at about 6 o'clock by a meteor of unusual brilliancy. It appeared to fall from the northeast. Many people in this city noticed the meteor and they are all of the opinion that it struck not many miles north of the city.

Telephone messages from farmers living between here and Sadgwick are to the effect that a meteor was seen, but they say it was north of them.

For at least two counties further west reports of the meteor continued to come in until midnight.


SALINA, KAS., Dec. 20. -- (Special.) About 6 o'clock tonight two meteors shot across the heavens from the northeast and were very low. Each star broke in two before it disappeared. The meteors were large and both were observed at the same time, and nothing is known as to whether or not they struck the ground.

Many telephone calls from the outlying districts in this, Saline, and adjoining counties tell of the celestial visitants being sighted in farming communities.

The farthest report west so far received was from Ellis county.

Labels: ,

November 20, 1908


Fred Watson Hasn't Had One Since
San Francisco Disaster.

Wandering around the country since the San Francisco earthquake, Fred Watson arrived here in Kansas City yesterday afternoon. He came here from St. Joseph, where he spent four days sightseeing. Fred is just 11 years old, and while he was roaming around the Union station yesterday, the matron was attracted to him by his big blue eyes. He was coatless and stood near the radiators to keep warm.

The matron gave him supper and then telephoned to the Detention home to know if they would care for him. She was told that she could send the boy to the home for the night, but that he would be turned adrift after breakfast in the morning. The matron at the Detention home said that it was against the policy of the home to take runaway boys, as they stole cookies and jam from the pantry. The matron then arranged to keep Fred at the depot all night and find a home for him in the morning.

An hour later the warden of the home, Edgar Warden, appeared at the depot and said he would take the boy. Fred informed the matron that his father and mother were killed in the earthquake in San Francisco, and that he had been tramping ever since. He said a home where someone would be a mother to him was what he wanted, but that no one had ever offered to keep him.

Labels: , , , ,

November 14, 1908


Michael Kenney Was on His Way
From Des Moines to Texas.

An old man, thin and emaciated, entered the Union station last night shortly after 8 o'clock, leaning heavily on the arms of two companions. No sooner had he reached a row of seats than he was seen to shake from head to foot.

"Let me sit down, quick," he gasped to his companions. "Let me sit down before I die."

Seated, the old man began to cough violently and gasped hoarsely for breath. Depotmaster Lee Mitchell ran to his assistance with a stretcher and carried him back to the invalid's ward. Before they had reached the room the man was dead.

Detective William Bradley had been sent to call a doctor, but as he reached the telephone he was told to call the coroner instead. It was learned that the dead man was Michael Kenney of Des Moines, Ia. He left his home yesterday morning for Texas, where he hoped to prolong his life. While passing through Kansas City he visited Sam Levy, a saloonkeeper, during the day and was taken to the station last night in a carriage. George Bee accompanied him. Mr. Kenney had left home alone, though his condition was critical.

News of his death was wired to his wife and three children, who live in Des Moines. The body was taken to Freeman & Marshall's undertaking rooms, whence it will be sent to Des Moines this morning.

For many years Kenney was a saloonkeeper in St. Joseph, Mo., and later tended bar in this city. He had retired from active business on account of his health.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

October 11, 1908




After Speaking in Independence He
Is Brought Here in Automobile.

It was a madly driven string of flag-bedecked automobiles that dashed over to Independence yesterday and whisked Candidate William Jennings Bryan to the Parade. Speaches were made at both ends of the trip by the Democratic leaders, adn it all took place within two hours.

It was a regular honk, honk affair, and thirty cars containing at least 150 persons made the trip. On the return, it was a veritable race and several times the pike was blocked with chugging machines, each trying to extricate itself and get to Kansas City first.

Little groups of suburbanites stood at every rural mail box and cheered as the flying autos went by with Mr. Bryan, and then they stayed to cheer the tail of the gasoline propelled comet. It is certain that those who live on the south side of the intercity road will have to clean house today for clouds of dust were stirred up by the wheels of the whizz-wagons. It is also certain that Mr. Bryan, in all the campaign, has never been treated to a more strenuous trip than when he was born over the Jackson county hills by Kansas City's flying automobile squadron.


William P. Borland, congressional aspirant, was holding the crowd of perhaps 2,000 when the Bryan special arrived at Independence. The presidential candidate was led to an auto and taken to the courthouse square, where he was greeted by cheers. He did not speak more than fifteen minutes and when he broke off he told the corwd that he would come back and finish his speech if they would elect him.

"I wish I had the power of Joshua," said Mr. Bryan, "that I might make the sun stand still and talk to you, without encroaching on Kansas City's time. Although I have not the power to control the movements of the sun, I can make the Republicans move.

They have reason to show fright, for the people are now coming to believe that the Democratic party is the one source of relief from present conditions and that through it alone can freedom of speech,, conscience and of the individual to use what he earns, be assured. The Republicans have nurtured predatory wealth which allows the few to prey upon the many. Our creed is that this should be corrected by suffrage, and we plead for an honest election. To get it we must have publicity of campaign contributions that the people may konw the sources of financial influence in carrying on our campaign."


When he finished speaking, a flying wedge formed around Mr. Bryan and broke the way through the crowd to his automobile in the court house yard. It seemed that the chauffeurs hardly took time to crank up, for in a trice the honk-honk procession was off for Kansas City.

"There's another proof that the corporations are agin' us," remarked a Democratic autoist savagely as a long Kansas City Southern train rolled leisurely across the roadway and cut about half of the flying procession from further progress for seven maddening minutes. Nearly twenty cars reluctantly obeyed the stop lever and stood trembling with nervous rage, spitefully repeating all the cuss words in an autombile's vocabulary of profanity. One owner vowed that his French car was chugging, "sacre bleu!" At last the train passed, the gates lifted and just in time to miss being hurdled and the autos dashed forward.


Ten thousand persons must have been awaiting the candidate at the Parade where he made an appeal for more contributions to the campaign fund.

"We have already raised from $160,000 to $180,000 by contributions from the people, in addition to the $40,000 left over from the sum subscribed in Denver to pay for the convention. We have fixed the limit of single contributions at $10,000 but find that we have placed it unnecessarily high. But two or three gifts have been made amounting to more than $1,000. I believe it is better for an administration to owe its election to all the people than to a few favor-seeking corporations. We need at least $100,000 more between now and election day, and Democrats ought to raise it."

"If elected, I promise to call a special session of congress to enact legislation whereby United States Senators shall be elected by a direct vote of the people. I believe there should be a department of labor, with its head in the president's cabinet. The laborers are entitled to it, and I want a representative of labor with who m to consult in the event that I am made president."

After taking a few facetious raps at President Roosevelt on the strength of his proposed African hunting trip, and at Longworth for expressing the wish that his father-in-law may be elected eight years hence, Mr. Bryan stopped, and was whirled through the downtonw streets in his auto to the Hanibal bridge, where he deaprted for St. Joseph.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

October 1, 1908



The List of Nine Includes a 75-Year-
Old Farmer Who Forsook
the Plow for Gay
City Life.

The reports made to the police yesterday concerned missing people principally, there being nine in all, whose ages range from 13 to 75 years. E. L. Barrett of Hamilton, Mo., telephoned that his daughter Nellie, 17 years old, whom he described, had left on an early morning train without leaving her future address. He was following on the next train and wanted the police to detain the girl.

For some reason or other George W. Shepard, 75 years old, took French leave of the dear old farm near Lone Jack, Mo., and headed for the gay city with its turmoil and strife. His aged wife was worried about him and, through a friend, asked the police to keep a weather eye out for Mr. Shepard. He is described as "black suit, sandy whiskers, soft black hat and blind in left eye."

Mrs. H. Gunther, 309 Washington avenue, Chicago, Ill., who signs herself "a broken-hearted mother," wants the police to find her son, Georg, 17 years old, who has been missing from home since June 25 last. She gives the police a minute description on which to work.

W. Emerson, 713 Washington street, this city, asks aid of the police in locating his wife. She is 27 years old, he says, five feet four inches tall and weighs 112 pounds. She has dark complexion, dark eyes and hair. Mr. Emerson said she left home with a man whom he names and describes.

The county attorney of Bedford, Ia., telephoned the police to be on the lookout for Fred W. Evans. Among other distinctive features given the poilce to aid in the identification is a "Roman nose that turns up." An officer went to Bedford to take Evans back to Cripple Creek, Col., it is said. He got out on a writ of habeas corpus and left for here. Henry von Pohl, sheriff of Teller county, Col., offers $50 reward for Evans.

W. Harry Walston, pastor of the Christian church at Minnie, Ill., writes that his son, Eugene Walston, 13 years old, left home last Friday with the intention of beating his way to Clearwater, Kas. As he would have to pass through Kansas City, the police were asked to be on the lookout for and detain the boy.

Thomas Atkins, chief of police of Davenport, Ia., wrote that Mrs. Chris Miller, aged 19 years, but looks more like 16, had left home and was headed this way. He gives a very accurate description of the missing woman, from her gold teeth to the four points on her jacket. He does not say w2h y she left home or what is wanted with her, only asking that she be arrested and notice given him.

Mrs. R. D. Curren, 811 Robidoux street, St. Joseph, Mo., said that her boy, Cleo Curren, 14 years old, had been missing since September 21. The Carnival, she thinks, may draw him there.

W. L. Myers, 1313 West Jackson street, Bloomington, Ill., is shy his son, Bert Myers, who has been missing from home for some time. Thinks he may head in here for Carnival week.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory