Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

January 20, 1910


Commissions as Lieutenants for
James and Anderson.

The first promotion of any moment to be made by the present police board took place nar the close of the meeting yesterday when Sergeants Robert E. L. James and Frank H. Anderson, who have given the better parts of their lives to the service, were made lieutenants. Anderson is said to be a Republican and James is a Democrat. Neither man got much encouragement from former boards though their records are both clean.

Anderson, now assigned to desk work at No. 3 station on the Southwest boulevard, went on the force November 9, 1889. On account of his intelligence and adaptability for the work he was assigned for m any eyars to duty in the city clerk's office where he served papers in condemnation suits and did clerical work. On January 9, 1907, while H. M. Beardsley was mayor, Anderson was made a sergeant by a Democratic board. His promtion is said to have been due to former Mayor Beardsley's efforts.

Lieutenant James went on the department as a probationary officer July 22, 1889, a few months before Lieutenant Anderson. As a patrolman James has walked every beat in Kansas City. On July 22, 1902, he was promoted to sergeant.

James early showed particular efficiency in handling large crowds. While outside sergeant at No. 2 station in the West Bottoms during the destructive flood of June, 1903, James distinguished himself.

Last July, when still a sergeant, James was assigned by the police board to Convention hall as instructor in the matter of police duty. This pertained to the old men, already on the force as well as new recruits. In all 241 policemen were instructed in groups of from twenty-five to seventy and their instruction lasted from seventy-two to ninety hours per group. Lieutenant James also had charge of the initial opening of Electric park a few years ago. For two weeks he has had charge of the desk at No. 7 station in Sheffield. Lieutenant James was born at Tipton, Cooper county, Mo., October 17, 1867. His father, Dr. P. T. James, was assistant surgeon general to General Sterling Price of the Confederate army. Some time after the war the family moved to Holden, Mo.. Lieutenant James is married and has four children. He is a brother of Dr. Samuel C. James, a member of the general hospital staff of visiting surgeons and physicians.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

December 11, 1910


Homes Have Been Found for
Ava Jewell and Hattie

"I told them 'If you never do anything worse than sit on a rock pile and crack rock for papa you will be queens on a thrown with jewels in your crowns.' "

T. W. Jewell, 920 Cambridge avenue, Sheffield, made this statement in the juvenile court yesterday afternoon after admitting that he had required his daughter, Ava Jewell, 16 years old, and his stepdaughter, Hattie Hayes, 15 years old, to crack rock in his quarry "because they were useless to their mother in the house."

About three weeks ago both girls ran away from their rock cracking work, Ava going to Kansas City, Kas., and Hattie Hayes getting employment at a cracker factory. For the past week she had been working as a domestic in a Sheffield hotel. She was taken into the juvenile court on the request of her mother and stepfather.

"Why did you put these girls, young women, I might say, to work on a rock pile?" asked Judge E. E. Porterfield earnestly.

"It was honest labor," said Jewell, "nothin' of which they should be ashamed. They might o' done far worse. You tell him how it came about, mamma," concluded Jewell, addressing his wife.

"Well, they just wouldn't do the housework right," said Mrs. Jewell. "It kept me continually following them about doing the work over again. I knowed somethin' had to be done to keep 'em busy, so I asked papa if he could use 'em in the quarry on the rear of our lot. 'Yes,' says he, 'I can use 'em breakin' up the small stones. Then he put 'em to work down there. That's all.'

"They was there about two or three weeks," said Jewell, "not over three at the outside, and all the work they done could be did in ten to twenty hours. I built 'em a nice platform on which to work. All they had to do was gather the small rock, carry it to the platform and break it. It sells for $1 a yard, judge. It's valuable."

"You know what they done, judge?" asked Jewell in apparent surprise, "they hammered holes in their skirts and kept me busy putting handles in the stone hammers. They would strike over too far and break the handles, just for meanness. Why, there mamma used to come down there just to encourage them, you know, an' she would crack more rock in an hour than they'd crack in a whole day. Mamma liked to crack rock, didn't you mamma? All the time them girls was a complainin' and talkin' o' runnin' away, an' one day both of 'em up and run away."

"I am surprised that they waited so long," said Judge Porterfield when Jewell had finished his explanation. "They should have gone the first day you put them there. A stone quarry, using a hammer and a drill, as this girl says she had to do, is no place for young women."

It was at this point that Jewell delivered himself of the tender sentiment about "jewels in your crowns."

"That sounds nice," suggested the court, "but it doesn't go with me. Any place on earth for a girl or woman but the rock pile, whether it be for papa or in jail. I do not approve of it. this girl will be made a ward of the court and a place secured for her. Working promiscuously in hotels and factories is not the best place for her, either, so long as she is not remaining in the home."

Hattie, who was 15 in October, was turned over to Mrs. Agnes O'Dell, a juvenile court officer, who will secure a place for her in a private family. Her stepsister, Ava Jewell, has a place as a domestic in Kansas City, Kas.

Labels: , , , , , ,

November 5, 1909


Funeral Held From the Family
Home on Tracy Avenue.

With the casket in which his body reposed hidden by flowers the funeral of Samuel Lieberman, 15 year old son of Rabbi and Mrs. Max Lieberman, was held at the family home, 1423 Tracy avenue yesterday. The services were conducted by Rabbi Isadore Koplowitz. Scores of friends of the family and of the boy called at the home during the day and the house could not hold the throng that was present during the services. Burial was in the Tefares Israel cemetery at Sheffield.

Rabbi Lieberman has asked The Journal to express his family's thanks to their friends for many kindnesses during the illness and death of their son.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

October 1, 1909



Fire and Water Board Orders Adop-
tion of Captain James O'Sul-
livan's Invention -- Makes
Rescue Work Easy.
Invention of Kansas City Fire Captain James O'Sullivan.

A life saving apparatus to be used in the rescuing of persons from burning buildings has been perfected by James O'Sullivan, for twenty-five years a member of the Kansas City fire department and for a number of years captain of the companies detailed in the Sheffield district. The captain, with the assistance of Alderman A. C. Culbertson, gave a demonstration of his device before the fire and water board yesterday, and the board promptly gave its official approval and ordered John C. Egner, chief, to install it in the department.

The efficiency of the device is recommended by its simplicity, and the ease and promptness with which it can be operated . It is made of the stoutest quality of leather, and all there is to it is a body strap and two straps which fit over the shoulders. The rescuing fireman buckles the person to be rescued to his back with the waist strap, then runs his arms through the two straps that fit over the shoulders and is ready to descend the ladder to safety with his burden . With this contrivance the fireman has complete use of his hands, a most important necessity in such a trying and exciting situation. It is also possible for the person being rescued to carry children in his arms if the emergency requires.

"I got the idea for my life saving device from seeing the firemen rescuing a woman from the burning Pepper building a few years ago," said Captain O'Sullivan. "It occurred to me that something could be made that would lessen the danger of falling from a ladder, both to the rescuer and the rescued, and I have thought out my device which is considered by experienced firemen the best thing ever turned out."

Captain O'Sullivan has applied for a patent on his device.

Labels: , ,

September 26, 1909



Friends to Commemorate the Event
on November 1 -- Came From
Tipperary to the West on
Advice of a Friend.
Roman Catholic Priest Father Patrick J. O'Donnell.

In 1885 St. Joseph's hospital was an unpretentious structure, a building which now forms a small wing to the greater buildings constructed adjoining it. In one corner of the hospital grounds there stood a little frame building which was used by the druggist attached to the hospital.

In addition to the hospital buildings the grounds now contain a finely appointed church. The priest is the Rev. Father Patrick J. O'Donnell. He has been there twenty-four years. The church building has succeeded a modest chapel in which Father O'Donnell first celebrated mass when he was given charge of the chapel. It was his second charge in the priesthood.

On November 1, Father O'Donnell will celebrate his silver sacerdotal. At least, his friends have advised him that they will celebrate it for him. They have arranged a reception with Father O'Donnell as honor guest in the chapel hall at Eighth and Penn streets for the night of the day which will mark his twenty-fifth anniversary as a priest of the Roman Catholic church.

Father O'Donnell was born in Tipperary in May, 1862. He left Ireland when 14 years old and lived for four years with an aunt in New York. In 1880, he returned to Ireland and attended St. John's Theological seminary at Wexford. He completed the course of religious instruction there in 1884 and came direct to Kansas City.

The reason for his choosing Kansas City as a field for religious work was that a classmate in the Irish school had been ordered to the St. Joseph diocese and had written Father O'Donnell of what a fine country the Western part of the United States is. Kansas City at that time was a part of the St. Joseph diocese. The Right Reverend John J. Hogan, now bishop of Kansas City, was bishop of the St. Joseph diocese. Afterward, when the Kansas City diocese was created, Bishop Hogan became spiritual head of the Kansas City diocese and administrator for St. Joseph.

Father O'Donnell's first religious work in Kansas City was as an instructor in the parochial school of the Cathedral near Eleventh street and Broadway. He taught in the school for several months. In November, 1884, he was ordained as a priest in the Cathedral.

The first charge given Father O'Donnell was in Norborne, Mo. At the time of his ordination, Father O'Donnell was too young to be admitted to the priesthood, but a papal dispensation was granted. He remained in Norborne, Mo., until 1885, when he was appointed chaplain to St. Joseph's hospital and celebrated mass each alternate Sunday at Lee's Summit. He retained the Lee's Summit charge for two years.

Father O'Donnell was asked to build a church in Sheffield. He worked for several years to bring it about. After the church was built he celebrated mass in it. Two years ago it was made a separate charge. In the meantime, the new church at the hospital building was erected. It now serves many parishioners in addition to the convalescents at the hospital.

Father O'Donnell is of genial disposition. He is known as "a man's priest" because of the strong interest he invariably has held in athletics and his liking for the society of men. He is a member of the Kansas City lodge of the Elks, being the only member of the order among the priests of Missouri.

Father O'Donnell's family lives in Kansas City, they having removed from Ireland several years after he was assigned to the charge at Norborne. His various charges in Jackson county have given him a wide acquaintance here, while he is one of the few priests ordained at the Cathedral who has retained a parish in the city. As a result of his long residence here, the reception planned for him is to be made notable by his friends.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

July 10, 1909


Current Too Swift for Charles
Knapp, a Sheffield Laborer.

While swimming in the Blue river yesterday afternoon below the Kansas City Southern bridge, Charles Knapp, a laborer for the Kansas City Bolt and Nut Company, was drowned. The body was quickly recovered.

Knapp was accompanied by E. J. Slaughter of 3006 East Twenty-fifth street, who was barely able to swim, and could render no assistance to the drowning man. Knapp climbed on a girder and dived out as far as possible. The current was swifter than he calculated and after a few struggles to get to the bridge he gave up and sank.

Slaughter telephoned the Sheffield police station but help arrived too late. The body was taken to Blackman & Carson's undertaking rooms in Shefffield by Deputy Coroner Harry Czarlinsky. Knapp's mother, Mrs. William Brown, lives near St. Clair on the Independence line.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

June 27, 1909


Fell From a Skiff and Came Up Be-
neath a Barge.

John Palmer, 14 years old, fell from a skiff into the Blue river near the Independence road yesterday morning and was drowned. Marion Bullinger, proprietor of boathouse at that point, and several others saw the boy fall over the side of the skiff, which was near a barge anchored close to the bridge. The body did not rise again until the barge was moved, when the body was found beneath it.

The boy and his father room at the home of Jack Thomas, 415 Douglas avenue. Until recently he had been working at the Kansas City Nut and Bolt factory at Sheffield. Deputy Coroner Harry Czarlinsky viewed the body and had it sent to Blackburn & Carson's undertaking rooms.

Labels: , , , , , ,

June 2, 1909



Hundreds Drenched Before They Can
Reach Shelter -- Freak Bolt Turns
Dresser Completely Around.
Severe Shock for Woman.

Kansas City was visited by an electrical storm shortly after 8 o'clock last night which for vividness and intensity while it lasted eclipsed anything seen here in years. For three quarters of an hour almost constant lightning flashes, followed immediately by claps of thunder like a volley of rifles close at hand, made a terrifying spectacle. many houses were struck, chimneys dismantled and street cars disabled. No serious accidents were reported.

Beginning about 2 p. m. heavy showers followed one another at intervals until about 5:30 o'clock. Then the sun came out and all looked well, but both barometer and thermometer indicated there was trouble in the air, and it burst in all its fury two and one-half hours later.

When the storm arrived it came so suddenly that hundreds who had been deceived by the evening sunshine and left their umbrellas at home were drenched before they could reach shelter. Even those in street cars, where the windows were down, got their share of the rain which had no direct course, seeming to come from all directions at once.


The street car system suffered for a time, many of the cars being put out of commission by lightning, and wires were down in several places. At Eighth street and Troost avenue cars were burned out by an electrical shock.

A Westport and a Prospect avenue car suffered similarly while in the vicinity of Fifth street and Grand avenue, an Indiana avenue car was put out of commission at Eighteenth street and Walrond avenue, and a Minnesota avenue car was treated in the same manner at Nineteenth and Walnut streets. The smoke from the burning controllers caused some excitement among the passengers.

The lightning cut some peculiar pranks, possibly the oddest being at the home of George Miller, 4100 Belleview avenue. Here a stone chimney which his built on the outside of the house was struck. Holes were torn in the chimney near the top, and the bolt passed into an upper room and had an engagement with a big dresser which had been standing with its back toward the wall.


When the lightning left the room, breaking out a window across from where it entered, the dresser had been turned completely around and faced the wall. The mirror was shattered and scattered all over the room. The family was below when the shock came and no one was injured.

At the home of W. R. Hall, 628 Freemont avenue, Sheffield, the lightning completely dismantled a brick chimney and passed into the house. Mrs. Hall, who was standing in the room, was thrown down and severely shocked.

While the council was in session at the city hall lightning came in contact with an electric light wire supplying the upper house chamber and burned out a fuse, putting all of the wall lights out of commission. One circuit only was involved.

Labels: , , , , ,

May 16, 1909



Freak Results of the "Twister"
Viewed by the Hundreds Who
Visited Storm-Wrecked

1. Wreck of Christian church blown across Overton avenue. Newton Bird's residence in the background, turned around on foundation. G. B. De Bernardi's home stood in the foreground; completely demolished.
2. Giant elm uprooted by storm. Tree was three feet in diameter.
3. J. J. Peek's home at Independence and Overton avenues, turned over on side.
4. G. F. Baker's new home, blown from foundation.
5. Where H. D. Jett's home, back of Christian church stood. Mrs. Jett and three children were in building but were uninjured.

Hundreds of sightseers yesterday afternoon inspected the devastation wrought by the cyclone on Friday night at Mount Washington. When the visitors looked at the ruined homes, the twisted trolley poles and the debris that once represented suburban dwellings, surprise was expressed that no one was killed outright. It was almost miraculous, when slivers were found firmly embedded in trees, scantlings driven two feet into the ground and nails driven into the sides of walls that were still standing.

When morning came the work of cleaning up the debris commenced. It was found to be a hard task. The members of the Christian church, which was completely destroyed, were on hand early and picked up chairs, carpets, Bibles and song books.

The owners of the destroyed homes looked upon the matter in a philosophical way. Aside from picking up little things which had escaped destruction, they spent most of the time in explaining to the ever-present crowd how it actually happened. Just a roar, like an approaching train, and it was all over. Not even time to get to the cellar was afforded most of the victims. With mist that was impenetrable, the cyclone swept on, but high in the air fragments of trees, timbers and scantlings could be seen. Every one was of the opinion that the storm traversed Mount Washington in less than five minutes.


The path of the storm was not over thirty yards wide. In many instances buildings twenty feet from wrecked ones, were not damaged in the least. Gigantic trees that had stood for more than 100 years were broken off at the base, while others in softer ground were torn up by the roots. A sugar maple in one instance was transplanted into a neighboring garden.

According to the physicians who attended the twenty or more injured, there will likely be no fatalities. The Greer boys who were caught under their home when they attempted to reach the cellar were taken to the Sheffield hospital and both will recover. They remained wedged between the floor and the foundation before they were released by the neighbors. Seth Greer, 17 years old, was injured the least of the two. Lee, the 5-year-old boy, is still in critical condition, although the physicians are hopeful of his ultimate recovery.

Mrs. J. W. Robinson, who lives in Fairmount addition, and whose house was blown to pieces, is dangerously injured. Her head was cut, her left side bruised and she probably has received internal injuries. Mrs. Josie De Bernardi, 61 years old, who received a broken right arm, will recover.


All who witnessed the storm were of the opinion that it was one of the old-fashioned Kansas cyclones. G. F. Baker, whose new home at the corner of Overton and Independence avenues, was completely wrecked, stood a block away and watched the "twister." The house was not occupied.

The insurance men did a thriving business yesterday among the residents of Mount Washington who escaped storm injury. Agents from Kansas City firms arrived with the first street cars, and it is likely that before last night, the suburb was fairly well covered. No one seemed to be anxious to take further risk.

Dr. Charles Nixon and Dr. William L. Gilmore, the resident physicians of Mount Washington, say little rest Friday night. The two men practically covered the entire district devastated by the cyclone. Both were besieged by persons who desired them to come to the aid of injured friends. Physicians from Independence arrived in a motor car and attended many.

Mrs. John Reed, who was living in a tent in the Fairmount addition, saved herself from serious injury by her presence of mind. She looked out of the tent when she heard the roar of the storm. She knew that it would be impossible to reach safety. Alongside of the tent was a barbwire fence. She grasped one of the posts and waited until the storm struck. her lacerated arms showed that her experience had been a trying one. She didn't give up, though.

"I locked my arms," she said, "and closed my eyes. It was all over in a minute. It was simply awful. I was lifted from the ground, but I wouldn't let go."

Labels: , , , , ,

January 17, 1909



Couldn't Agree and Finally Husband
of 74 Accused Wife of 18 of Appro-
priating Personal Belongings.
Man Also Arrested.

A tale of two cities -- Sheffield, England and Sheffield, Mo. -- with the variation of the marriage of an old man and a young woman, was told in its second chapter yesterday in Justice Michael Ross's court. There are to be succeeding chapters, too, for the bride and a young man are now in the county jail, sent there on complaint of the husband.

It was December 23 that Benjamin Sellers, only 74, and Emma Vaughn, 18, were married in Independence by Justice L. P. Anderson. Two days later there appeared in The Journal an article about the couple and interview from Sellers, telling how happy he was. But romance has now made a hotel fire exit.

Maybe it should have been said at the beginning of this story that it is a tale of three cities. For, after the expression of happiness from the groom, a dark cloud in the shape of Wakeeney, Kas., appeared on the matrimonial horizon. It was to Wakeeney that the couple took their bridal trip shortly after Christmas.

"They had serenaded us at 527 East Fifth street, where we have been living, when we were married," said Mrs. Sellers yesterday, "but in Wakeeney -- why, there were tin cans in the bed and the noise outside the hotel was awful."

Anyway, Mrs. Sellers came back from Wakeeney feeling anything but cheerful. She said yesterday that she had been sick in bed most of the time since.

It was yesterday afternoon that Sellers went to the court of Justice Ross and swore out a complaint on which his wife and Leonard C. Coker, a lather 19 years of age, whose home is at 3239 East Sixth street, were arrested. Coker had been staying at the Sellers home, 527 East Fifth, for about a week. He says he boarded there.


"It has broken me all up," said Sellers, telling his story in the justice's court. "Why, I travelled with General Tom Thumb, first in Sheffield, England, where I passed show bills, and later until I rose to be his valet. For nearly sixteen years I was with him. The beginning was in 1857.

"After I left that employment, I went to farm in Illinois and later moved to Wakeeney, Kas., where I have property that yields me about $40 a month. That has furnished my living since I came to Kansas City three years ago.

"June 18 a young man brought this girl to my home. She said she was homeless, so I took her in and cared for her. After at time she disappeared and then returned. Always she kept insisting I should marry her, and at last, in December, I consented. She said then, 'Marry me or I will leave you."


"She had not been at my house a week before I missed some rings and jewelry, and she told me she had not taken them. For a time she went under the name of Evelyn LaRue, but her real name was Emma Vaughn."

This is what Mrs. Sellers had to say:

"Why, 'grandpa' -- that's what I always call him -- forced me to marry him. You see, it was this way: A young man named Lester Blume took me to grandpa's house, and told me to take some rings that were there. I did it, and 'grandpa' kept threatening to do things if I did not marry him.

"Coker? I was engaged to him when I was 16. Then I lost track of him for a long time. He came to the house last Thursday after we had been at the roller skating rink, and he's been there since. But so have two of my girl friends, who have been caring for me while I was sick. Have we a large house? Three rooms.

"Yes, papa is a Baptist preacher in Sheffield. He's not preaching at present, he's painting houses."

Both Mrs. Sellers and Coker denied the charge made against them. Sellers has three sons and a daughter living in Wakeeney. His first wife, whom he married when he was 32, died three years ago. Since then he has been in Kansas City. He says he is determined to prosecute.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

December 31, 1908


J. A. Stout Seeks Injunction Against
Forest Hill Cemetery Owners.

Because the cemetery company insists that none but Episcopalians can be buried in Forest Hill cemetery, an in junction suit was filed against it by John A. Stout in the circuit court yesterday. The plaintiff asks that the Troost Avenue Cemetery Company, which owns the burying ground, be compelled to permit the burial of the bodies of his daughter-in-law, Mrs. Arthur Stout, and her child, in Forest Hill. He states that he bought a lot from the vestrymen of St. Mary's Episcopal church, but at the death of his relatives the cemetery company would not allow him to bury them in his lot because they had not been Episcopalians.

Several suits are pending in the courts, based on the same contention.

The injunction is returnable at 9 o'clock this morning. In several instances the court has made similar injunctions permanent. Frank M. Lowe is attorney for Mr. Stout.

The bodies which the owner of the lot desires to have sepultured there are those of Mrs. Dora V. Stout and her 2-year-old son, wife and child of the Rev. Arthur Stout, former pastor of the Sheffield Christian church. Mrs. Stout died at the home of her father-in-law, John A. Stout, 2544 Wabash avenue, Tuesday night. The baby died in New Mexico several weeks ago.

Labels: , , , , , ,

December 25, 1908


Nineteen-Year-Old Susan Vauhn
Marries 74-Year-Old Man.

Groom, aged 74; bride, aged 19 -- such was a marriage solemnized at Independence Wednesday afternoon, Justice L. P. Anderson officiating. Benjamin Sellers, the groom, is sprightly and well preserved. His bride, who was Miss Susan Vaughn, a comely lass with red hair, is a picture of robust health. Her father is W. M. Vaughn of Sheffield. Mr. Sellers is an Englishman. In 1857 he entered the em ploy of General Tom Thumb as valet, with whom he traveled for fifteen years. He still has an old suit of clothes which belonged to the famous dwarf.

When seen yesterday at their home, 427 East Fifth street, Mr. and Mrs. Sellers were very happy. "I know it is something out of the ordinary," said Mrs. Sellers, "but it is no one's business but our own. Grandpa -- that is, my husband -- has been very good to me ever since I have known him. I am satisfied with him as a husband."

"Yes," said Mr. Sellers, "Susan, who has been my housekeeper since last May, has been a good one. I believe she will be a good wife. The reason? Well, you see, I am getting a little too old, and tho ught I ought to have someone to take care of me."

This is Mr. Sellers's second marriage. His first wife, whome he married when he was 32, died about three years ago. He has three sons and a daughter living at Wakeeney, Kas. He is a well-to-do man.

On New Year's day the couple will start out on a honeymoon tour. They expect to spend about three months in California and the West, after which they will return to Kansas City and purchase a home.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

October 22, 1908


Sheffield Man Subdued by Police.

Physicians at the emergency hospital were called upon to subdue two demented men yesterday. Wiley Stubblefield, who lives in Sheffield, was found by the police early yesterday morning in possession of a vacant lot in the east end of the city. He had a large knife with which he frightened every one away from him. The police subdued him after a struggle and took him to the hospital. The unfortunate man was strapped to a cot and given treatment.

Labels: , , ,

September 11, 1908


Was a Well Known Young Surgeon
and Owner of Hospital.

Dr. Solomon S. Landon, owner of the Sheffield hospital, died yesterday morning at Burnett's sanitarium. Dr. Landon was one of the most promising young surgeons in the city and popular with a large circle of acquaintances. He was brought up at London Mills, Ill., and graduated with the bachelor's degree from Knox college in 1892. He came to this city and attended the University Medical school, where he graduated in 1896. For the next two years he was assistant police surgeon at police headquarters and afterwards became surgeon for the Burlington railway. Two years ago he founded the Sheffield hospital. He worked hard there and was very successful, but the strain of overwork caused a mental breakdown which forced him to go to Bunett's sanitarium six months ago.

Dr. Landon was 36 years old and married Miss Dora Schaeffer several years ago. Two young daughters, Margaret and Amy, survive. Dr. Landon was a thirty-second degree Mason, an Elk and a Shriner.

The funeral will be conducted by Temple lodge of Masons from the Schaeffer home at 3922 Pennsylvania avenue at 2 o'clock this afternoon. Burial will be in Mount Washington cemetery.

Labels: , , , , ,

August 24, 1908


Prest Foundry at Sheffield, Hot, but
Interesting Place.

While the average Kansas Cityan who has had to stay at home this summer is complaining of the heat, it would make their lot much easier to bear if they should visit a foundry where the furnaces are being manufactured which are intended to heat their homes during the winter months. To see the perspiring foundrymen running here and there with great ladles of molten iron would make the office man feel that his lot had been cast in pleasant places.

The Prest Heating Company's plant at Sheffield is a busy place these days, trying to keep ahead of their orders for furnaces and furnace fittings.

"This has been the best year we have ever had," said Mr. John R. Ranson, president of the company. "This, we think, is not only due to the superiority of our goods, but to the fact that the patriotic people of this section want factories and they believe the way to build factories is to patronize them." This firm in addition to manufacturing and installing furnaces makes high grade commercial casting in any quality.

Labels: ,

June 16, 1908





His Efforts Rendered Futile by the
Struggles of His Companion.
They Go Down to Death
Miss Nita Ewin and Mr. Albert Buchanan, Drowning Victims.

While boating on the Blue river in Sheffield yesterday afternoon, Alfred G. Buchanan and Miss Nita Ewin were drowned. The canoe in which they were rowing caught on a hidden snag and turned turtle. Both Mr. Buchanan and Miss Ewin lived in Independence. Each was about 20 years of age. Miss Ewin was the daughter of Mrs. Bertie Ewin, a widow, of 412 North Liberty street, while young Buchanan was the son of J. F. Buchanan, an abstracter and loan agent in Independence.

The young couple secured a canoe at the Blue River shortly after noon yesterday, saying that they would return in a short time. They immediately paddled off toward the mouth of the Blue. The accident occurred just above the Belt line bridge.

Witnesses say the boat struck a hidden snag or the limbs of a big tree that overhung the river. Both the occupants of the boat were thrown out by the shock and the boat itself capsized. The two young people struggled in the water for a short time and then went down. Mr. Buchanan was an expert swimmer but, according to those who witnessed the accident from a distance, he was hindered in his efforts to save himself and the young woman by the struggles of the latter.

Two Missouri Pacific firemen stationed with their engines near the scene of the accident saw the young people drown. They left their engines and immediately began to dive or the bodies. Their efforts were fruitless.

The police department was then notified and Lieutenant M. J. Kennedy of the Sheffield station led a rescue party consisting of Marion Bollinger, owner of the boat, and a fisherman. Both bodies were drawn from the water by hooks nearly an hour and a half later.

Mr. Bollinger found the body of the young man first and the fisherman found the body of the young woman. Lieutenant Kennedy had telephoned the father of the young man and he was present when the bodies were removed. Dr. A. C. Mulvaney and Dr. Connelly Anderson, who had been called by Lieutenant Kennedy, tried to resuscitate the two but failed. It was 6 o'clock before the bodies were sent to Independence in an ambulance.

Miss Ewin was the only daughter of Mrs. Bertie Ewin. Seven members of the family have died in the last five years. Alfred is the second son of J. F. Buchanan.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

April 24, 1908


Mount Washington Men Chased Him
With Guns Through the Fields.

After discovering a burglar in the postoffice at Mount Washington at 1 o'clock this morning, Orin Shaw, who runs a poolhall next door, armed himself with a Winchester rifle, and with W. H. Chitwood, a grocer, scared the man from the building and chased him across fields for nearly half a mile, finally making a capture just as the fugitive ran into a barb wire fence.

"I saw some one in the postoffice striking a match," Shaw told Sergeant James of the Sheffield station, who later took charge of the marauder. "I armed myself, and then went to Chitwood's house to get assistance. Together we went to the postoffice, but the man evidently heard us coming, for just as we got to the front door he broke from the house and ran past us. We called upon him several times to stop, but he ran on north across the fields.

"After we had chased him for about half a mile I fired at him, but missed. We had been gaining steadily, and just at that time he became tangled in a barb wire fence and we got him."

At the Sheffield station the man gave the name of William Soper. He said he was traveling from Oklahoma to his home in Illinois. A search showed that he had $2.75 in silver, and 45 cents in pennies. This money he confessed having taken from the postoffice.

Labels: , , , , ,

March 31, 1908


Sheffield Policeman Is Called Into a
Restaurant and Disarmed.

Patrolman Charles Seright of the Sheffield station was beaten and robbed of his revolver and club in a restaurant at 7208 East Fifteenth street before daylight Sunday morning.

Arthur and Harvey Leopold, Jr., and Frank Clay, who brought the officer's revolver and club to the police station, said that two other men had come across the officer jollying the divorced wife of the Leopold boys's father in the restaurant and had beaten him for it.

The officers in charge of the Sheffield station and Seright insist that Seright was called into the restaurant and set upon by five men, three of whom brought the revolver and club to the station. The assault, they claim, was for the purpose of settling an old grudge. Harvey Leopold, father of the two young men, at one time ran a saloon of Fifteenth street in Sheffield, and Seright arrested Frank Clay and Arthur Leopold on a vagrancy charge. They were released in police court Saturday morning. Seright was on duty as usual last night.

George Winkler, a dishwasher, was beaten unconscious in the fight and is in the general hospital.

Labels: , , , , ,

February 19, 1908



After Giving Him Liquor, Murderer
Says They Induced Him to
Sign Confession -- Case
to Jury Today.

Denying that he ever made a confession to police that he murdered Sidney Herndon in the Navarro flats, Twelfth street and Baltimore avenue, on January 12, and claiming that he signed a confession fixed up by the police when he was intoxicated and under fear, due to threats made by the officers, Claude Brooks, negro, was on trial for the murder of Herndon or knew anything of the killing until he was placed in the county jail and the confession was in the hands of the prosecuting attorney. He denied ever owning the hammer which lay on the table in the courtroom, and which was the weapon used to kill Herndon, and also disputed all of the testimony of witnesses who claimed they saw him in the Nararro building the night of the tragedy.

Brooks claimed that while on the train, detectives who arrested him at his father's home and brought him back to Kansas City threatened to take him off the train at a bridge crossing the Missouri River and "string him up" if he did not "come through" and tell about killing Herndon. He also stated that the officers gave him whisksey in Sheffield and before they reached that place, and that he was in an intoxicated condition at the time the statement, said to be his confession, was made and signed by him.
Inspector of Detectives Ryan testified that he gave Brooks one drink of whiskey, which Brooks asked for, but that he did not have any other liquor, and no threats were made. He stated that Brooks made the confession of his own free will, and seemed perfectly willing to tell of the murder at the time of his arrest. Assistant Prosecuting Attorney John W. Hogan, testified to obtaining the confession, and stated that no one threatened Brooks. Other officers were put on the stand and bore out the statements of inspector Ryan.
The most damaging testimony against Brooks was that of Amel Jones, a negro boy, who said he saw Brooks hiding in the Navarro building late the night of the murder, and that he had a paper in his hand, which is described in Brooks's confession as containing the hammer in which he killed Herndon. Robert Webb, a negro at whose house Brooks lived, identified the hammer as exactly similar to the one he saw in Brooks's room. Charles Herndon, brother of the murdered man; Burtner Jones, negro elevator boy; Dr. O. H. Parker, deputy coroner, and others gave testimony.
The case was not finished last night, although most of the testimony, including the confession of Brooks, the night of his arrest, was introduced. It will be continued today and will probably go to the jury by noon.

Labels: , , , , , ,

January 9, 1908



Butted His Head Agasint the Wall
When a Child and Was
Becoming Viciously
Insane. May Be

Clyde Turner, a 15-year-old lad, a ward of the children's court, a portion of whose skull was removed Tuesday afternoon with the idea that he might, by the operation, grow up to be a good and bright boy, was reported last night by the Post Graduate hospital, Independence avenue and Campbell street, where the operation was performed, as doing well.

Clyde's case is the first of the sort in the history of the Kansas City children's court, and the second or third in the court history of the United States. Some years ago a lad in Philadelphia was trephined to cure bad habits, and there was a somewhat similar, but not exactly parallel, case in Omaha recently. Six months ago the Kansas City children's court removed Dewey Marcuvitz's tonsils to mend his ways, but the operation was only partially successful.


The lad who now lies on a cot at the Post Graduate hospital with a piece of his skull the size of a teacup taken away, has had an unfortunate life. His parents died when he was a month old and he was adopted by George Pack, an employe of the Kansas City Bold and Nut Compnay of Sheffield, who lives at Hocker and Sea streets in Independence. The baby Clyde had a habit of butting his head against the wall whenever he was vexed. Efforts were made to break him of this, but he was not cured until he had flattened the crown of his head.

He grew up "simple," and when 12 years old was sent to the Missouri colony for the feeble-minded in Marshall, Mo. He seemed to improve there, and was released about a year ago. He did not get along very well with his foster parents, although they treated him as they would their own son. Two weeks ago, according to the story told by Mrs. Pack in the children's court, a week ago last Monday, Clyde made an attack on her husband's mother with a butcher knife, and as he is a big, strong boy, might have killed her, had it not been for interference. The lad was confined in the detention home from that time until Tuesday morning, when he was taken to the hospital.

Dr. E. G. Blair, assisted by Dr. John Punton, performed the operation. The portion of his skull, which was flattened, was sawed out and thrown away. The brain, which had been pressed down, rose to fill the cavity. The lad will remain in the hospital until nature grows a cartilage across the aperture.

When the boy awoke yesterday morning he seemed very happy. He was a sour-faced, frightened lad when he came to the place. His eyes wore that pathetic, timid, hunted expression of those who are not mentally normal. But when he awoke his eyes were bright. He smiled and said: "I feel awful good!"


Judge H. L. McCune of the children's court said last evening in regard to the case:

"It was a question of the court's permitting the lad to become permanently insane, for his spells rising out of the sullenness into passionate outbreaks such as he made on his foster father's mother, were growing more and more frequent, or having him operated upon with a slight chance of death but a much larger chance of recovery and development into a bright and useful man. The doctors told me there was absolutely no chance for the boy to recover without the operation. The court received the consent of his foster parents and of the boy himself.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

January 8, 1908


Dr. S. S. Landon, Former Police
Surgeon, Suffers Mental Collapse.

At the insistence of Roy Shunk, a nurse at the Sheffield hospital, Dr. S. S. Landon, former police surgeon and owner of the hospital, was taken into custody at Twelfth and Main streets yesterday afternoon by Patrolman Michael Cassady of the crossing squad. Shunk told Cassady that Dr. Landon had got beyond his control.

After he was detained in a cell in the police matron's room Dr. Landon grew violent. When no one would bring him the keys and allow him to free himself he overturned an iron bed on which he had been lying and, with superhuman strength, wrenched a leg from it as if it had been a twig. He also smashed an earthen receptacle which was in the cell and cut his hand.

It was about that time that Dr. W. C. Anderson, connected with him in the Sheffield hospital, and Amos Townsend, an attorney, arrived. They counseled with the doctor for a few moments and left the room. He reached through the bars to where a table holding a tray of dishes was standing. Mrs. Joan Moran, police matron, ran in just in time to save the tray of dishes, but Dr. Landon broke a leg from the heavy oak table before he could be prevented.

Dr. E. G. Blair, a visiting surgeon at Dr. Landon's hospital, and a close friend, arrived after a time and succeeded in getting the doctor to consent to take a hypodermic injection. Dr. Blair said he would give him a powerful sedative to quiet him for the night. Relatives and friends intend to make some disposition of the doctor's case today.

"Ever since before Christmas Dr. Landon has been acting queerly and of late has grown worse," said Dr. Anderson. "Recently he has grown more and more delusional and wanted to be constantly on the go. It is our opinion that he has had a breakdown from overwork."

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

December 7, 1908


Sheffield Hunter Commits Act of Van-
dalism at Mount Washington.

Several monthsw ago one of two swans, which made their homes at Mt. Washington cemetery, was killed by a boy. A second act of vandalism was the slaughter of three ducks yesterday by a man believed to be from Sheffield. As the ducks were almost tame he had no difficulty in creeping close to them and killing three with one load of shot. The man had not time to fire again as the report of the gun aroused Louis B. Root, superintendent of the cemetery, whose arrival frightened the man away.

Labels: , , , ,

December 24, 1907


Dr. Chapman Declares His Wife's
Jealousy Was Disastrous.

Judge Hermann Brumbeck of the circuit court is being asked to decide whether or nt Mrs. Nettie R. Chapman has destroyed the medical practice of her husband, Dr. L. R. Chapman of Sheffield. That is the allegation in the divorce suit brought by Dr. Chapman and now being tried before Judge Brumback.

Dr. Chapman says that on the afternoon of the day he married in Eureka, Kas., his wife came to his office and stayed until closing time. That was on March 28, 1906. He says she came every day until the middle of August, when having lost all of his women patients, he moved to Kansas City.

He tried to attend medical college here last winter, he says, but as his wife insisted upon accompanying him to all clinics lest he might, unknown to her, meet a live woman student at the disinfecting table, he forsook the college.

He was carrying a newspaper route for a living, he said, and had sent his wife back to her parents in Eureka when he filed the suit.

Labels: , , ,

December 17, 1907


Hose Captain O'Sullivan's Men Per-
formed Surgical Operation.

A defective flue caused a fire in the home of Bert Liles, 1814 Newton avenue, Sheffield, last night at 9 o'clock. Liles and his family had gone to church but the neighbors saw the fire and sent in the alarm.

When the companies arrived it was discovered that a closet which was built in the wall next to the flue had caught fire. Captain James O'Sullivan of hose company No. 21 opened the door of the closet. The space which was closeted off had never been floored, and the captain, not knowing this stepped through the rafters. He fell about four feet, throwing his right arm out of place at the shoulder. He called for help and his companions, in attempting to pull him up to the floor again, caught hold of his right arm. They gave a strong pull and the dislocated joint fell back into place. O'Sullivan will be laid up for a few days.

Labels: ,

August 29, 1907


Negro Who Believes Some One Seeks
His Life.

"Sonny" Harris, a negro North end character, believed last night that he was followed by a crowd of men who threatened his life. He starled the populace about Third and Main streets by running madly along the thoroughfare and screaming for someone to protect him. Jack Julian and B. C. Sanderson, plain clothes officers, later found the negro crouched behind a billboard in an alley near Third and Delaware streets. He had a rock in his hand and was directing dire threats toward an imaginary man in the alley. The policemen seized him and after inducing him to throw away the rock took him to police headquarters. When the trio reached the front of the station door the negro turned to the officers and asked if they saw a man shoot at him three times as they were crossing the street.

Harris, while recently in a similar frame of mind, ran all the way from Sheffield to police headquarters and there collapsed. He then imagined he was being pursued by assassins.

Labels: , , ,

August 5, 1907



Second Man Who Took Swallow of
the Poison Will Recover -- Dead
Man Leaves a Widow and
Seven Children.

Two pint bottles of the same shape, one containing whisky and the other carbolic acid, caused the death of James F. Beckett in Sheffield early yesterday morning. The bottle of whisky was put into a wagon bed which also contained a bottle formerly used for whisky filled with carbolic acid. John Eveland, another laborer, who put the whisky into the wagon bed, also drank of the acid, but he will recover.

John Thomas gave a dancing party Saturday night at his home in Sheffield. About forty men and women were present, and at midnight the dancers decided to continue the party indefinitely until morning.

Beckett had been invited, and after he arrived he was prevailed upon to furnish the music. He sat in the parlor, and from 8 o'clock until midnight played waltzes and two-steps, and occasionally a tune for the Virginia reel, with scarcely a rest, while the tireless dancers encored him again and again.

About 11 o'clock Eveland, who lives only two blocks from Thomas' house, heard the music and the laughter of the young men and women, and decided to see what was going on. I had been drinking a little," said Eveland yesterday, "and I had a pint bottle of whisky, about half full, in my hip pocket. Thomas invited me to come in and dance. I didn't want to take the liquor with me on account of the women. So I slipped out to the shed back of the house and put the bottle in the bed of a wagon. Then I went in and danced until about midnight.

"When the decided to keep on dancing for an hour or two more, Beckett, who was one of my friends, said he was tired. I told him about the whiskey I had put in the shed, and asked him to go have a drink to brace himself up. We took John Burris, one of the other men with us, and all went out to the shed.

"When we got out there it was dark, and I reached into the wagon bed and got out what I supposed to be the bottle I had put there. It was a regular pint whisky bottle, and seemed to be about half full. I had some trouble getting the cork out. While I was trying to draw it, the women were calling for Beckett to play for another dance.

" 'Hurry up,' cried Beckett. 'I've got to get back to the house. '

" 'Give me the bottle,' said Burris. 'I'll get the cork out with my knife.'

"Burris pulled the cork, and raised the bottle to his lips to take a drink, when they called Beckett from the house again, and Beckett grabbed the bottle quickly. He took two long swallows. Then he ran back to the house, and Burris went with him, without waiting for a drink. I then drank a little, and put the bottle back into the wagon."

Eveland says it was about twenty minutes later before the acid pained him, so that he knew he had been poisoned. Beckett, who continued playing for the dancers after taking the acid, began to feel ill about the same time Eveland did.

Dr. R. Callaghan was sent for, and treated both men. Beckett died about 1:30 o'clock. The whisky which Eveland had drunk before he came to the dance saved his life. The reason Beckett did not feel the effect of the aid sooner is believed also to be due to whisky before he went to the shed. The whisky is thought to have counteracted the effects of the acid to a certain extent.

Thomas said yesterday that he always keeps acid in the shed for use as a disinfectant. He keeps horses and hogs there. The bottle was plainly labeled. Had the men struck a match they could not have made the mistake.

James F. Beckett was 39 years old. He lived at 410 Denver avenue, and leaves a widow and seven little children, the youngest being only two months old. The body was taken to Blackman's undertaking rooms in Sheffield, and a coroner's inquest will be held this morning.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

July 8, 1907


Supposed Drowned Boy's Clothing
Taken From the River Bank.

A drowning scare occurred at the Blue river, in Sheffield, yesterday afternoon, when the clothes and a crutch of William Hess, a 12-year old, one-legged boy, who lives near Independence and Ewing avenues, in Sheffield, were found on the bank. The finding of the clothes was reported at the Sheffield police station, and a prompt search for the body was instituted.

For three hours boats plied up and down the river from Nineteenth street to the mouth of the river, and for some distance about where the clothing was found the river was dragged. The search was abandoned about 7:30 o'clock, and the clothing turned over to the boy's mother by a policeman, who broke the news to her.

A half hour later a dejected looking figure, clad in an improvised bathing suit made from an old gunnysack, appeared in the doorway of the Hess home. It was the supposedly drowned boy, who had returned from a row with two other boys up the river, and finding his clothes gone he had hobbled to his home by way of alleys and side streets.

Labels: , , , ,

June 28, 1907


Witness Who Testified Against Pa-
trolman Ordered to Leave Town.

Mayor Beardsley yesterday informed Police Commissioner Gallagher that a witness named Lee, who had testified in the case involving Officer Park, charged with gambling while on duty, in Sheffield, had been arrested on a charge of vagrancy and had been ordered to "leave town."

"That is more than we must be asked to stand," Commissioner Gallagher declared. "I move that the matter be investigated and that all parties concerned be brought before the board. Are you sure it is true?"

"I know it is true," the mayor confirmed. "Lee testified here against a policeman, the policeman afterwards arrested him as a vagrant, hauled him down here before Judge Kyle and since then has told him he had better get out of town."

Labels: , , , ,

April 24, 1907


Boy Who Rode on a Freight Train
Probably Will Die.

John Sullivan, 13 years old, a son of Henry Sullivan, a plumber living at 2416 Mercier street, while stealing a ride yesterday on top of a Milwaukee freight train, was struck by the Brooklyn avenue viaduct, receiving injuries which will probably prove fatal. The boy, warned by a shout from a companion, wheeled just in time to meet a terrific blow on the forehead, crushing his skull. John Harvey, a companion, of the same age, who was with the Sullivan boy, held the latter on top of the train until the train crew arrived. The injured boy was treated at the Sheffield hospital.

Labels: , , , ,

March 28, 1907


Boy Resents Joke and Strikes
Tormentor With a Bolt.

Arthur Jackson, a young man living at 1308 1/2 East Ninth street, was hit over the head with a long bolt by G. C. Hammond, 18 years old, at the Kansas City Bolt and Nut works in Sheffield yesterday afternoon. Jackson was taken to the Sheffield hospital, where it was discovered that his skull had been badly fractured. He died at 9:30 o'clock last night without regaining consciousness. Hammond was arrested and is being held at No. 7 station for investigation.

Hammond, whose name is Grover Cleveland Hammond, lives with his parents at Tenth street and Topping avenue. Ever since he had the measles some years ago he has been regarded as weak minded. It was said that the men and other boys at the Nut and Bolt works were in the habit of bothering him. His parents came here only last fall and are poor. Yesterday afternoon, so a report says, Jackson in passing Hammond gave his truck a shove out of the way. This seemed to anger Hammond and he grabbed a long bolt, took a firm grasp on it with both hands and hit Jackson over the head with all his might. The coroner sent the body of Jackson to a Sheffield undertaker. An autopsy will be held today and an inquest later.

Labels: , , , ,

March 27, 1907


Were Trying to Arrest Sheffield Man
Who Flourished Pistol.

David Bostick, a roller mill hand of Sheffield, was shot and perhaps mortally wounded early this morning in that suburb by Sergeant Caskey and Patrolman Parks. Earlier in the evening Bostick had shot at Harry Bahling, a saloonkeeper of Sheffield, whom he had attempted to hold up. Then he went to the home of George Ritter, on the Blue. Returning from there he met the officers and threatened them with a revolver. Both officers shot him at the same moment. He had just left the boat in which he had come from Ritter's home.

Labels: , , ,

February 4, 1907


After Court Officers Had Found Him a Good Home His Mother Tells Them They Were Taken In by a Juvenile Munchausen.

There seems to be a joke on somebody.
Walter Dalton, the "friendless orphan" boy who told Judge McCune in the juvenile court last Friday of his many and superlative vicissitudes after the death of his father and mother in New York and his abuse by a stepfather, how he slept in doorways there and finally beat his way to Kansas City on 9-cents because he wanted to come West where he could make a good man of himself, really lives in Armourdale and has never even seen New York. His mother, who lives there also, called at the Detention home yesterday to see this young Munchausen.

When he told his tear-stained story to Judge McCune Friday the judge and the spectators wiped their streaming eyes and sent out their hearts to give poor motherless Walter comfort.

"You look like a good boy," said Judge McCune out of the fullness of his heart (as he blew his nose suspiciously, as is proper under such stress), "but you haven't had much of a chance. We'll find you a good home and a good job where you won't have anything to do but work and nothing to eat but food and no place to sleep but in a feather bed."

"Thank you kindly, sir," sobbed Walter. "I will indeed be grateful. That's all I've been looking for and your generosity moves me. I shall do all in my power to show you how I appreciate it."

A court official led Walter away weeping and the court dried its judicial eyes and blowing its judicial nose again, called the next case.

Then the newspaper reporters wrote the story and splashed it liberally with salty tears and the next day twenty yearning philanthropists, looking for a husky boy who in turn was yearning to do a man's work for his board and clothes and a few kind words, besieged the office of the probation officer where Walter was wallowing in the fat of the county, and one of them took him triumphantly away in the face of the deep throated clamorings of the others.

When Dalton left the Detention building for his new home he was fitted out by loving hands with new clothing throughout, including a nice warm overcoat.

So much for the first installment.

Yesterday a frail, thinly clad dim-eyed woman accompanied by an ill-clothed boy of 7 appeared at the Detention home.

"Have you got a boy here named Water Dalton?" she asked.

"Yes, ma'am," replied one of the officers, "but I am sorry to say, you are too late, much as we appreciate your sympathy in favor of the friendless orphan. We have already found him a good home."

"Home," replied the woman. "Home? He already had a home and I'm his mother."

"But my dear madam," returned the astonished officer, "his mother is dead."

"I don't look very dead, do I? Well I'm his mother all right and he lives with me in Armourdale -- that is, when he isn't running away. I ought to know whether I'm his mother or not, oughtn't I?"

"Y-yes. But he said he came here from New York."

"New York, fiddlesticks. I've known him pretty well for sixteen years, which is as old as he is, and if he was ever farther East than Sheffield I never heard of it."

"But his father --"

"Father, nuthin'. Dalton skinned out years ago and left me to support this boy and that 'waif' you picked up from New York and found a good home for. But he won't be there long. As soon as he gets enough to eat and the weather gets warmer he'll be gone again. I know him.. He's no good."

"But, Judge ----" "Yes, I know what the judge said. The truth of the matter is that boy can outlie a press agent. I'm his mother and I know. New York! The only other town that boy ever lived in was Omaha, and he was in jail there three times for stealing that I know of -- and maybe more. Did he keep his eyes on the floor sort of solemn like while he was telling the judge the magazine story?"

The officer remembered that he did.

"That was Walter, all right," said the woman. "He always keeps his eyes on the floor and talks low when he's drilling for tears."

"But his stepfather beat--"

"Stepfather! He never had a stepfather. I know when I've had enough. The only person I've ever expected to help me along since Dalton left was Walter, and instead of that I've had to support him. Oh, yes, he would work occasionally, but it didn't do me much good.

"The last time I saw him was Friday morning a week ago. I put up his lunch for him and started him to work. The next I heard of him I read in the papers what a good boy he was and what a good man he was going to make and --and the rest of it. It was news to me.

"Well," she added in leaving, "I'm glad Walter is a good boy and has a good home and is going to be a good and great man. It relieves me of a good deal."

Walter Dalton is 16 years old. He was arrested by the police one night last week begging on the streets. He told a pitiful story of having been left an orphan in New York city and told it in such a plausible way that he made more friends in ten minutes than an honest boy could get together in a lifetime of uprightness. His new home is on a farm a few miles from Kansas City.

Labels: , , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

The Son of Jesse James is Accused of a Train Robbery at Leeds ... Can he get a fair trial in Kansas City?
The Trial of Jesse James, Jr.

>>More KC Books<<

As an Amazon Associate this site may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory