Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

February 10, 1910


Parents Informed of Wedding by
Telegram From Nebraska Town.

Having first removed all her clothing and personal property from the premises, Miss Carrie Ann Evans, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Evans, 2610 East Tenth street, yesterday forenoon told her mother she was going to a matinee. Instead, she eloped with Bert Snider, a traveling salesman. They were married at the court house.

The first intimation the parents had that their daughter had left their fireside for one more exclusively her own was a telegram from a small town in Nebraska. It said they were on their way to Omaha, where Mr. Snider is representative of a Cincinnati pump house.

The father of the bride is manager of Barklow Bros.' News Company. The mother said last night that the parents had no particular objection to Mr. Snider, but that he was scarcely known to them.

"Besides," Mrs. Evans continued, "my daughter is only 25 and I believe Mr. Snider is over 40, although he gives his age as 31. I do not, however, consider their runaway marriage in the light of an elopement. We did not actively object, only criticised it as rather hasty. Carrie told me as lately as day before yesterday that she was going to be married soon. I guess she thought she would just run away to do it in order to save father and I the pain of watching the ceremony be performed."

Mrs. Evans would not admit that she would readily forgive the couple, but evaded answering directly any question on the subject. "Oh, it will have to suit us now," was her invariable reply.

Labels: , , ,

October 14, 1909



Women Avert Collision in Chariot
Race and Are Applauded --
Horses and Poultry Draw
the Most Attention.
American Royal Livestock Show of 1909.

The rise in the temperature, combined with a cloudless sky during the better portion of the day aided materially in increasing the crowd attending the American Royal Live Stock show and a conservative estimate yesterday placed the paid admissions at about 14,000. There was, by far, more congestion than on either of the previous days, and in some of the exhibitions it was difficult to move around without elbowing someone out of the way. The crowd was made up largely of visitors from the small neighboring towns, though there was a number of country people and a goodly sprinkling of city folk in the throng.

The horses and poultry continued to be the mecca for the crowds and the barns in which they were exhibited were crowded all day. The cattle and swine also came in for a good share of attention, and, in fact, there was nothing on the grounds that was not visited by a fair portion of the visitors.


The usual exhibition and parade was given in the pavilion during the afternoon. In addition to the Morris six, the Anheuser-Busch mules and the Clark ponies, Casino, the undefeated world's champion Percheron, was shown in the parade, together with $3,000 worth of medals which he has won in various parts of the world.

Two accidents were narrowly averted in the arena. The first came when, through a mistake, some one opened the upper gate while the Anheuser-Busch mules were being exhibited. The animals thought it was for them to go through and they swerved toward it. The crowd beyond the gate made a rush to get out of the way but the driver, by a quick manipulation of the reins, managed to turn the leaders back into the arena and no damage was done.

The second came in the chariot race in which Mrs. Georgia Phillips and Miss Fra Clark participated. At the second dash around, while the ponies were going at top speed, Miss Clark failed to make her turn short enough and the pole of her chariot almost crushed into the one occupied by Mrs. Phillips. Quick driving on the part of the women prevented an accident and the race was finished amid a storm of applause.


The barkers were out in full force yesterday, much to the delight of the rural housewife. There were apple parers that could be utilized in a hundred different ways, can openers, milk skimmers, knife sharpeners, and in fact, all descriptions of household gimeracks which could be purchased from ten cents to a quarter, and nearly every farmer's wife availed herself of one or more of the implements.

The candy paddle wheel man was also in evidence, and he did a rushing business. The feature which appealed largely to the country brethren, though, was a hill-climbing automobile demonstration. A runway sixteen feet long, built on a 50 per cent grade, was erected and the car, in charge of a competent chauffeur, would, like the French general, go up the hill and down again. There was no charge for riding and many a love-lorn swain and his sweetheart from the rural districts enjoyed their first auto ride.


From a financial standpoint the women of the Jackson Avenue Christian church have the very best proposition on the grounds. They are operating a lunch stand where hot soup and coffee, together with other edibles, can be obtained on short notice at a moderate sum. The place is crowed all the time, as the air chilled one in the barn and the soup and coffee are used to "heat up." Of course there are some who do not heat up on soup and coffee, but they seem to be in the minority, and the church women reap a harvest, between those getting warm and those really hungry.

The Kellerstrass farm of Kansas City, which has a large exhibit in the poultry barn, after the first of the year will add a new industry to its line, that of raising fancy pheasants. The farm has been experimenting along that line for some time and the past year raised 700 pheasants. This decided them that it could be done successfully, and after January pheasants will be listed in the Kellerstrass catalogue. The birds will be sold only to fanciers.


Many of the owners in the horse barn have decorated in a most handsome manner, the stalls allotted to them. Among these are the McLaughlin and Robinson exhibits. They have their stalls in white, green and yellow bunting, together with the cups, ribbons and other trophies, won by their animals, over the stall occupied by the horse which won them. The effect adds beauty to the barn and is quite pleasing to the visitors.

The sale of Herefords in the Fine Stock Sale Pavilion yesterday was attended largely. It began at 2 o'clock and continued until 5:30 at which hour fifty head had been disposed of at fairly good figures.

The highest price of the afternoon, $800, was paid by J. P. Cudahy of Kansas City to W. S. Van Natta of Fowler, Ind., for the bull Pine Lad 38th. The animal has one prizes all over the country and is an exceptionally fine specimen. The average price of the day was $166 1/2, which is $15 less that the average prices realized at the sale last year.

There will be a sale of Galloways in the sale pavilion today, while in the show proper the judging of sheep will be started and several classes will be finished up.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

October 8, 1909


Concrete Walk Caves in and Pre-
cipitates Distributor Into Cellar.

While Mrs. Edith Sampson was sweeping the front porch at 510 Olive street yesterday morning about 9 o'clock, she saw a distributor of samples approaching. Intent on her task, she gave the broom two or three more vigorous turns, then looked up again expecting to be handed a sample. no man was in sight.

She looked further and found a hole in the front walk where the man should have been standing. Closer inspection revealed the sample man himself at the bottom of the hole, well covered with pulverized concrete.

Several of the hexagonal blocks of which the walk is made up, had given way beneath his weight and precipitated him into the cellar which projects under the walk.

The man made his exit by way of the cellar steps, not badly hurt.

Labels: , ,

September 15, 1909


Grabs Reins From Cab and Prevents
Injury to Woman.

Grabbing the reins of a frightened horse while seated in an automobile, Joe Marks,a traveling salesman, stopped the animal yesterday afternoon at risk of serious injury to himself and saved from injury a young woman who drove. Marks was dragged from the tomeau of the machine and when he returned to the Coates house last evening his clothes were bespattered with mud and his trousers were torn.

After luncheon yesterday Marks and Ervan Wilson traversed Cliff drive in an automobile and then drove out towards Swope park. Marks noticed that a horse hitched to a runabout and driven by a young woman had become frightened. He told the chauffeur to hurry and he would try to grab the reins. The chauffeur turned the machine loose. The frightened horse dashed down the road.

Marks held on to the hand rail with one hand and reached out with the other. Wilson grabbed Marks's coat. The chauffeur swung the machine alongside the horse. Marks grabbed the lines and the driver set the brakes. The road was muddy, the machine skidded, the horse fought desperately to get away and Marks was suspended between the horse and the automobile.

"Let loose of me, I've got him," cried Marks to Wilson, and he jumped from the machine. The horse by this time had been brought to a standstill.

Neither the young woman nor the horse was hurt and after the animal was calmed she insisted on taking the reins and driving him home. Marks gave his name, but forgot to get that of the girl.

Labels: , , , , ,

July 11, 1909


William Henry Brundage Dies at
Age of 64.

William Henry Brundage, who built his own factory the first hose wagon used by the Kansas City fire department, died at his home at 2817 East Ninth street of a complication of diseases at an early hour yesterday morning. He was 64 years old. Mr. Brundage is survived by a widow and a son, W. A. Brundage, who is a traveling salesman for the Anderson Coupling Company.

Coming to Kansas City in the spring of 1870, Mr. Brundage established a wagon factory at 507 Grand avenue in the following year. He manufactured all kinds of equippages, among them hose carts and trucks. When the old volunteer fire company was done away with and the new devices installed Mr. Brundage got the first order for fire trucks and is said to have supplied a very superior article for that time.

Twenty years ago the factory on Grand avenue burned and a new one was built at 1420-22-24 McGee street, where Mr. Brundage was a member of the Commercial Club. After his retirement from business he traveled in the South for his health. He returned a few weeks ago. He has a home at 1849 Independence avenue.

At the time of his marriage in 1868 Mr. Brundage at that time was paymaster in the army under General Curtis.

All attempts to locate the son, who is traveling in Kansas, failed yesterday. The Anderson company, however, assured Mrs. Brundage that he would be found some time today.

Labels: , , , , , ,

July 1, 1909


Japanese Suspect Given Clean Bill
of Health by Inspector Boyle.

Carl Young, the Japanese who was arrested Tuesday night because he looked like Leon Ling, the Chinaman who killed Elsie Sigel in New York, was released at police headquarters yesterday morning. Young is an educated Japanese and proved to the satisfaction of Inspector Edward J. Boyle that he was not the man wanted. The inspector gave him a letter stating that the bearer had been investigated and had proved that he was not Ling. Young said that he had been arrested in St. Louis under the same suspicion. He is a traveling salesman.

Labels: , , , ,

April 9, 1909


Marie Wolters of Kansas City, Kas.,
Victim of Fire.

Marie Wolters, the 7-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Wolters, of 635 Freeman avenue, Kansas City, Kan., is dead, and Mrs. Mary Morony, wife of the Rev. L. G. Morony, rector of the St. Paul's Episcopal church , is severly injured as a result of the child's clothing catching on fire while she was preparing a "play" dinner yesterday afternoon in the rear of the Rev. Mr. Morony's home, at 1511 North Seventh street, Kansas City, Kan.

Joseph Wolters, the father, is city salesman for the Inter-State Oil Company, in Kansas City, Kas., and although friends used every effort to locate him after the accident, he was not found until after his daughter had died.

Labels: , , , , ,

January 30, 1909


Traveling Man Is Convinced That
Wind Was Strong.

August Meyer, a traveling salesman, placed his arms around one of the large columns in the Hotel Baltimore yesterday afternoon and acted as though he was trying to lift the center of the ten-story building from its foundation. He didn't succeed in doing that, so he placed his shoulder against the column and attempted to shove it over.

"What the deuce are you doing, Gus?" one of his friends asked.

"Well, I want to go to Ninth and Main, and I don't want to walk," Mr. Meyer explained. "So I just figured if a fellow couldn't lift the Hotel Baltimore from its foundation or shove over one corner of it, he couldn't buck that wind. I'm going to stay in."

Labels: , , , ,

November 8, 1908


H. D. Gibson Pushed E. L Yeat
Through Streets in a Wheelbarrow.

Amid the shouts and laughter of a big crowd, H. D. Gibson, a traveling salesman for a wholesale jewelry house, last night paid off an election bet by wheeling the winner in a wheelbarrow from Twelfth street and Forest avenue to Twelfth and Harrison streets and back. The bet was made with E. L. Yeat of Twelfth street and Forest avenue, and Mr. Gibson wagered that Taft would carry Nebraska. Friends of the two men had been informed that the ride would come off last night and had gathered to witness the humiliation of the loser. A whellbarrow festooned with flags and a large banner on which was printed "I bet Taft would carry Nebraska" was teh paraphernalia used. At the starting point at Twelfth street and Forest avenue nearly 500 people had congregated. The crowd followed the principals over the coucrse. Mr. Gibson lives at 1211 Virginia avenue and tips the scales at 240 pounds. Mr. Yeat, the winner, weighs 180 pounds. Both men have red hair and the friendly crowd took advantage of that circumstance to poke fun at them.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

October 17, 1908


Irving W. Doolittle Had Been at the
Baltimore Many Years.

Irving W. Doolittle, 48 years old, chief clerk at the Hotel Baltimore, died yesterday morning at his home in the Lorraine apartments, 1014 Broadway. Mr. Doolittle was born in Antrim, N. H., and came West while a young man of 28. He had been clerk in hotels in the East, and became chief clerk at the Throop hotel, Topeka. While there he married the daughter of the proprietor of the hotel.

She died, and three years ago Mr. Doolittle married again. He came to Kansas City several years ago and became clerk at the Midland hotel, but two years ago was transferred to the position which he held at the time of his death.

Besides his wife he leaves a brother, Arthur Doolittle, officer in the navy, now stationed at Portsmouth, and another in New York. The body is at the home of W. B. Johnson, his brother-in-law, 2825 Independence avenue. The funeral arrangements have not been made.

Mr. Doolittle was unquestionably one of the most popular hotel clerks in the country. There isn't a traveling salesman this side of the Rockies but knew him and liked him for his unusual patience and courtesy. For all these Mr. Doolittle always had a smile and a hearty handshake when they came in. If rooms were scarce he always gave assurances that set at rest the impatient traveling salesman.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

October 13, 1908


Not the Big Noise, but a Meek Sales-
man From New York.

Minus the cheers of crowds and blare of brass bands, William Taft is again in Kansas City.

When seen yesterday at the Coates house, where he is stopping, he didn't care to express his opinion of the political situation, but was perfectly willing to talk about the troubles of a traveling salesman, for that is his vocation. He wrote New York after his name on the register.

A carpenter bearing the same distinguished name lives at 715 Central street.

Labels: , , , , ,

October 6, 1908





Earned Name of Being One of Most Ac-
tive and Conscientious in Council.

John Francis Eaton, member of the upper house of the city council and for years a prominent worker among the Democrats of the city, is dead. His death occurred suddenly last night while he was sitting in a chair on the front porch of his home, 3123 Woodland avenue. While Mr. Eaton had been in poor health for some time, his condition was not considered serious either by himself or his friends until yesterday afternoon, when he complained of a pain in his side and remarked that he could not stand the pain much longer. An hour later, about 7 o'clock in the evening, he died.

Just prior to this time Mr. Eaton was talking with his brother, Walter Y. Eaton, who lives nearby. They had been discussing various subjects, and although Mr. Eaton appeared somewhat pale, death was apparently the last subject on either of their minds.

Mr. Eaton's death occurred just before the opening of the council meeting last night, and just as the roll call was being read a message came to that body announcing the death of a fellow member.

It was unanimously agreed that both houses should assemble and then adjourn out of respect to the memory of Mr. Eaton. It was further decided that on the day of the funeral the city hall should be closed in the afternoon and it was ordered that the flag on the hall be hung at half mast for thirty days.


Alderman Eaton was 58 years old and had lived in Kansas City since 1831. He was born in St. Louis in 1852. When he was one year old his parents removed to Quincy, Ill., where he was educated in the common schools of the city. When 18 years old he started in the book and stationary business and a few years later he became a traveling salesman for a crockery concern in which work he continued until coming to Kansas City when he went into business for himself, taking for his partner L. E. Erwin.

Twelve years ago he retired from the crockery business and engaged in insurance work, which line he followed up to the time of his death.

He was a Democrat, a notable worker in the party and earned for himself the name of being one of the most active and conscientious aldermen in the city. He was greatly interested in securing a municipal appropriation for the new zoological garden at Swope Park. Although being a staunch Democrat, Alderman Eaton had the name of never allowing politics to influence any of his legislative acts. He was the chairman of the finance committee and was associated with the workhouse, public places and building committees.

Twenty-five years ago he was married to Miss Flora McMillan, who survives him. There are no children. Mr. Eaton was a past commander of the K. P. lodge and was a thirty-third degree Mason. In church circles he was well known, being a member of the Grace Episcopal church, where he held the offices of treasurer and vestryman in the church.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

September 28, 1908





C. T. Bowers Explained at Grand
Avenue M. E. Church That the
Good Book Will Be a Solace
to Troubled Men.

An organized movement to place a Bible in the rooms of every hotel in the United States was formulated last night at a meeting of the "Gideons," an organization of Christian traveling men, at the Grand Avenue Methodist church. C. T. Bowers of Lincoln, Neb., national field secretary of the "Gideons," reviewed the history of the society since its organization, July 1, 1999, and explained to a deeply interested audience the plan to supply Bibles for the use of guests, in the hotels throughout the country.

"Of the 600,000 and more traveling men in this country," said Mr. Bowers, "3,000 only are 'Gideons,' and yet it is the largest mission effort ever organized that does its work at its own expense, and asks no help from the churches. We have begun this crusade to place Bibles in the hotels throughout the country, in the interest of those who might, if given the opportunity, be led by these simple means to turn from a life of unhappiness to one of usefulness. Many a young man and young woman, tempted almost beyond their strength, far from home and Christian influences might have been saved at a crucial moment, had there been an opportunity given to read the living words of truth, from the Book of God."


The organization took its name from the youthful Hebrew warrior, "Gideon," who, as the Bible relates, attacked, with an inferior force, the powerful Midianite army and put them to rout. The soldiers of "Gideon" were provided with pitchers and trumpets. When the attack was made, they broke the pitchers and blew the trumpets, thus adding to the terror and confusion of the enemy. When the question of choosing a name for the organization which was to fight against the powerful forces of evil was brought up, they decided upon the name "Gideon." A button, emblematical of the name, is worn by each member of the organization. The emblem is a white pitcher on a field of blue.

"I believe that much of the success which has crowned our efforts has been due to the little button we wear," said Mr. Bowers. "If you sit down near a traveling man and engage in a conversation with him he is almost certain to ask the meaning of the emblem you wear. A white pitcher on a field of blue. To the man zealous in the work of his Master, this is sufficient opening to tell of the Christian life and the effort being made for the good of mankind in general and traveling men in particular.

"We realize the magnitude of the work we have undertaken. There are many, many persons anxious to learn more of Christianity and they must learn it through human instrumentality."

Speaking of the vast expense of placing Bibles in the hotels of the country, Mr. Bowers said:

"We are not asking for outside aid. The traveling men of this country will find a means of surmounting the difficulties which face them in this work. We may be compelled to go slowly and equip one city at a time, but rest assured that we have begun and we will finish; and the time is not far distant when a young man or woman, tired and discouraged by the vicissitudes of the day, instead of going to their room in the hotel to sit and brood over their troubles, will be enabled to gain strength and courage from the Bible, placed in their room through the efforts of the 'Gideons.' "

Labels: , , , , , ,

September 10, 1908


John B. Sounded Like Something
Else When Bell Hop Called.

"Call for Mr. Rockerfeller!"

A bellhop at the Hotel Baltimore caused the guests in the lobby to drop their papers suddenly last night, and then when the bellhop repeated the call in a louder voice for "Mr. John B. Rockerfeller," a hundred eyes followed the boy until he located the owner of the name. But it wasn't the eminent oil magnate. It was a New York traveling salesman who is frequently annoyed when the bellhops call his name, and particularly the middle initial, in such a manner as to make it sound like John D. Rockerfeller.

Labels: , , , ,

August 26, 1908


Charles Timberlake Failed to Take
His Own Life With Three Shots.

Accompanied by his 11-year-old brother-in-law, Max Harrington, Charles Timberlake, a traveling salesman out of employment, left the home of his wife at 3501 East Thirty-first street, about six o'clock last evening. They walked to the corner of Thirty-first and Indiana, one block from home. Mr. Timberlake took a few steps around the corner, drew a revolver and fired three shots at himself. Two of the shots took effect and he dropped to the pavement. The boy ran home and told what had happened.

Henry Trott, a butcher at 3329 East Thirty-first street, was a witness to the attempt at self-destruction. He, with the aid of others, took Mr. Timberlake back to his home and the ambulance from the Walnut street station was called. One bullet pierced the left chest just above the heart, the other passed through the right shoulder.

Patrolman Isaac Hull investigated the case. It was found that Timberlake had only arrived here Friday from California. He had been stopping at the home of his mother-in-law, 3501 East Thirty-first street, where his wife had been for the last eight months. Little information could be gained at the house, but it was intimated that Mr. Timberlake and his wife had been separated and that he had come on here to effect a reconciliation. Mrs. Harrington said she believed all had been arranged yesterday. No one would ascribe a cause for the attempted suicide, and though Mr. Timberlake was conscious when removed to the general hospital, he would tell nothing of the affair to Dr. Thornton or to the attendants at the hospital.

More information was gained from the butcher, Trott, than anyone else. He said he was attracted by the sound of the shooting and ran to Mr. Timberlake as soon as he fell to the ground. "When I arrived at his side and asked him what he had done," Trott told the police, "he begged me to take his gun and finish the job, saying he wanted very much to die and had made a botch job of it."

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

June 18, 1908


Victim of Policeman's Attack Pities
His Wife and Children.

When it was shown to the police board yesterday that Patrolman Samuel Combs had abused and struck a young man named James B. Bailey, Combs was ordered suspended for thirty days. When Bailey heard Combs testify that he had a wife and five children, he asked that the extreme penalty not be inflicted. That was all that saved the officer from dismissal from the force.

A similar case against Patrolman Jerry Callahan, brought by Charles A. Calhoun, a traveling salesman living at 908 East Ninth street, was put over for one week after the case had gone to trial. Calhoun was ignorant of the board's procedure in such cases and appeared without his most important witnesses or his attorney.

Labels: , , ,

April 19, 1908


Tracy Avenue Couple May Adopt the
Little Foundling.

If everything goes well today a good home may be secured for the foundling who was discovered in a dark hallway at 584 Harrison street late on the night of March 17 and later christened "Little Pat" by Mrs. Lizzie Burns, police matron , in honor of St. Patrick's day.

Seeing in the news yesterday that a baby girl had been left with the matron for adoption Friday, Mr. and Mrs. S. A. Kelly of 1403 Tracy avenue, called to see the little one. They were told that it had been taken to the detention home and were just about to leave when Eugene Burns, a son of the matron said: "What's the matter with 'Little Pat?' Why can't you take him and adopt him? He's a boy, you know."

Mrs. Kelly said she thought that Patrick had long ago been given a home, but when informed that illness had kept him at St. Anthony's home, though now he had thoroughly recovered, she at once spoke for "Little Pat."

"Yes, Mrs. Kelly was out here with Eugene Burns," said Sister Cecilia at the home. "She is coming back tomorrow with her husband. It looks very much like Pat is to secure a good home at last."

Mr. Kelly is a traveling salesman. He and his wife have no children.

Labels: , , , , , ,

April 13, 1907


Traveling Man Who Has a Big Col-
lection of Pullman Car Receipts.

"There are few traveling men who do not have some fad or another, said C. D. Zimmerman, a salesman traveling out of New York, and a cousin of Florence Zimmerman, who married the Duke of Manchester.

"I have mine," continued Mr. Zimmerman, "and I believe it is the only one of its kind in existence. It is nothing more nor less than a collection of sleeping car receipts." He explained that he had been traveling constantly for sixteen years and had several copy books full of the receipts. They number into the hundreds and represent a wonderful mileage. He says he has been offered some tempting sums by the Pullman company for the collection, which is desired by the corporation for advertising purposes, but so far Zimmerman has refused all offers.

This traveler also bears the distinction of having made five complete trips around the world following his line in every instance.

"When you talk of it being hard to get about in the world and see the country," said Mr. Zimmerman, "I would say that it is the easiest thing in the world. I believe I could start out from Kansas City selling toothpicks and make my way -- and still keep on collecting Pullman receipts."

Labels: , , ,

April 9, 1908


Youth Trundles Winner Around Ar-
mourdale in Wheelbarrow.

From 8 o'clock until noon yesterday a thin young man with nose glasses and a wearied look of regret, trundled a wheelbarrow in which another young man was sitting about the streets and byways of Armourdale. Starting at the Red Cross pharmacy the pair went south to Shawnee, east to St. Paul, north to Kansas avenue and west to Packard. There the youth with the glasses tilted the barrow over on its nose, unbent his back and mopped his brow with a handkerchief.

All this time not a word had been spoken by either party and many people passing on the walks thought they were fakers and dropped in behind to see what they were selling.

In this they were disappointed, however. The lonely occupant of the wheelbarrow said he was M. A. Gillespie of the Red Cross pharmacy, and that his propeller was Frank Bryant, a salesman at the Clanville furniture store at Armourdale.

"Just an election bet I won," said Gillespie. "I've got another bet, if there's any takers. That is, that I got the worst of this transaction. I've had my knees tucked under my chin so long I can't get them straightened out."

Bryant had made a bet with Gillespie that Timothy Lyons would not be re-elected to the city council.

Labels: , , , , ,

March 17, 1908


Mamet Rahji, an Assyrian, May Die
From Wound in Lung.

An Assyrian who said his English name was George Karney and his real name Mamet Rahji, was taken to the emergency hospital late yesterday afternoon suffering from a stab wound in the left lung which barely missed the heart. He was attended by Dr. R. A. Shiras and put to bed. Karney, or Rahji, has been working as a porter at 419 West Tenth street. He has been in this country four years and in the city one month.

He said that he was sent down town to make some purchases about 5 p. m. On Central street near fire headquarters he met up with several men sitting on the curbstone. One of them, a man with a white mustache, was exhibiting a pair of shoes.

"He wanted me to buy them, but I refused, as they were too large," said the Assyrian. "I started to walk away and the man, who was angry, followed after me. About half a block away he walked up and stuck a knife in my left side. Then he ran."

Dr. Shiras said that the man's wound is a dangerous one and may cause death from pneumonia. The police are searching for the shoe salesman.

Labels: , , , , , ,

August 3, 1907



When Hayes Was Dropped He Pre-
pared for the Ax -- Other Captains
and Lieutenants Commissioned.
Hammil Is Transferred.
Captain William E. Weber

Continuing Governor Folk's policy of removing "political enemies" from the police department, Captain Weber was yesterday dropped from the force by Commissioners Gallagher and Jones, Mayor Beardsley voted to recommission the captain. All other captains were recommissioned.

Whitwash spread over the actions of Patrolman Athur who, it was charged, attempted to draw a revolver on former Commissioner Rozzelle at Wednesday's board meeting.

Lieutenant Hammil, who refused to return Patrolman Arthur's club and gun after the overt act until ordered to do so by Acting Chief Ahern, was transferred from headquarters to the Walnut street station. Lieutenant Hammil also took an important part in impeaching Arthur's testimony before the board regarding Arthur's vitriolic attack on Chief Hayes and former Commissioner Rozzelle in police headquarters.

Lieutenant Walter Whitsett, who has been mentioned as a possibility for chief, and who it is said is friendly to the Kemper forces, is given Hammil's place at headquarters. Many believe this is the first step toward making Whitsett chief.

The transfers of Lieutenants Hammil and Whitsett were upon the resolution of Commissioner Gallagher "for the good of the service."

Commissioner Jones, in his first resolution, moved to reappoint James Vincil to serve three more years as secretary to the police board.

Captain William E. Weber has been on the police force since he was appointed jailer November 4, 1889. He was appointed a probationary patrolman the following day and May 30, 1890, was made a patrolman. He walked a beat for five years and won his promotion to sergeant by an act of bravery.

In a fight in Grand avenue, a liquor crazed salesman rushed at an intended victim with a butcher knife. Captain Weber coolly shot the butcher knife from the hand of the would-be slayer. His promotion to sergeant came on September 4, 1895. He was made a lieutenant of police October 1, of the same year, and was recommissioned after serving three years.

To take advantage of the raise in salary, Lieutenant Weber resigned and under the Cleary law, August 15, 1900, was at once appointed to his former rank with the increased pay allowed a law just passed. August 29, 1901, Lieutenant Weber was commissioned captain.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

April 28, 1907



Father Gives Consent and She Returns to Home
Where She Was Marguerite Jackels--
Ready to Get a Divorce,
She Says.

Less than ten days of married life proved to Mr. and Mrs. Walter D. Smith, 20 and 19 years old, respectively, that the path of matrimony may e a thorny one. Mrs. Smith, formerly Miss Marguerite Jackles, the daughter of Charles F. Jackels, 3653 Harrison, left the roof of her mother-in-law, 1809 East Seventh street, last Thursday evening and returned to the home of her parents, where she declares she will remain.

The marriage of the two, which, in reality, was an elopement, a week ago last Wednesday afternoon, created considerable interest on account of aid given them by young Smith's father, in the face of strong objections made by the young woman's parents.

The young woman was a student of Miss Bigelow's private school, and on the date of her elopement attended the morning session. Walter Smith, who is the son of Sigel D. Smith, a cigar salesman, had left Central high school in January. The two had been sweethearts since childhood, but several months before their elopement the Jackels had forbade him coming to their home. On the day of their marriage the couple met and went to the court house, where the elder Smith was waiting. After procuring the license, a drive to the home of Rev. George H. Combs, pastor of the Independence Boulevard Christian church, was made, and in the presence of the father and mother of young Smith the knot was tied. Mr. Jackels, who is a traveling salesman, was away at the time, but when Mrs. Jackels heard of the marriage, three hours after it had taken place, she hurried to police headquarters to enlist the services of the police in helping her to locate the two. She heard that they were at the Kupper hotel, and there she rushed, to find that they had taken dinner there and gone. There was nothing for her to do then but to send a telegram to her husband. This was done, and the father of the girl hurried back to Kansas City. The couple had gone to the home of young Smith's parents to live, and word was sent by the father to his daughter that he would never consent to his son-in-law entering his home, but for her the latchstring would always hang on the outside.

For several days there was not a ruffle to mar the happiness of the two, but about the fourth day the young bride began to show discontent. The Smiths did all in their power to make surroundings pleasant for her, but to no avail. Last Monday she called up her parents by telephone, and asked her father if she might return home and bring her husband.

The reply was firmly in the negative, the father repeating his edict against young Smith ever entering his home. Wednesday she called her father up again and asked if she could return home, this time alone.

"I want to come home so badly, father," she pleaded. "I am sorry I did it. I wish I hadn't got married."

"Marguerite, I am sorry, too," replied the father, "but live with him a year, and then if you want to, come back you may."

Left alone Thursday morning by her husband, the girl brooded over her troubles, and, at last, declaring that she could no longer stand it, for the third time called up her father.

"Please let me come now," she said appealingly. "Let me get a divorce. I cannot stand this any longer."

The father finally gave in to his daughter's pleadings, and, accordingly to arrangements she met her father at the home of a girl friend, and the two returned home together.

"I am so happy to get back to my home," she declared. "It seems so good to have my mamma and papa, and be here right in my own home. I don't see whatever possessed me to do as I did. I will ever leave it again. I will never return to my husband under any circumstances."

Mr. Jackels said last night that so long as his daughter was happy he was satisfied with conditions.

"Of course, the marriage of my daughter was an unfortunate occurrence," he said. "it was a misstep on her part, but we are all ready to forgive her. Nothing has been decided as to what further will be done regarding obtaining a legal separation, but Marguerite will go back to school and complete her education. However, she will not go to school again in Kansas City. We had planned before to send her away to school next year and this former plan will be carried out."

Young Smith was out of the city last night. He went away Friday morning on business, according to his father, but will return within a few days.

"My son's wife received the best kind of treatment at our house," said Mr. Smith. "We treated her as if she were our own daughter and so far as her surroundings being made pleasant, everything possible was done by us to accomplish that end. Everything would have gone along nicely had not the influence of the girl's parents been brought so strongly to bear upon the young woman. Homesickness seized the girl."

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

April 19, 1907



Walter Jacobs, to Whom It Was Ad-
dressed, Offers Only One Ex-
planation for Death of S. B.
Horwitz -- Kansas City
Not His Territory

Samuel B. Horwitz, a liquor salesman of Cincinnati, O., committed suicide at the Kupper hotel yesterday afternoon by drinking carbolic acid. The body was discovered at 7:45 o'clock. Two sealed letters were left, addressed one to his wife, Mrs. S. B. Horwitz, 727 South Crescent avenue, Avondale, Cincinnati, and the other to his father, B. T. Horwitz, Middleton, O. An open note on the writing table read:

Notify Walter Jacobs, care of May, Stern & Co.

Below on the same sheet he wrote:

Walter: Notify the folks in Cincinnati. My name is Sam B. Horwitz.

Walter Jacobs, who clerks at May-Sterns's local store, was found at the Alta Vista hotel, at Eleventh and Washington streets. He was unaware that Horwitz was in Kansas City. He said:

It has been a year and a half since I saw Sam and that was back East. He was
traveling for a liquor house, but I do not know the name of it. I know,
however, that Kansas City was not in his territory and I had no idea he ever came
here. He is a brother-in-law of my brother, A. Jacobs, in Cincinnati; also of
Manah Bower, one of Cincinnati's iron masters. I can conceive of no motive for
the suicide, unless Sam may have been losing money on the stock market. He
always speculated some. His family consisted of the wife and one child, 9 years
Horwitz appeared at the Kupper hotel Wednesday forenoon about 11:30 o'clock. He carried no baggage. His manner was nervous, but did not excite the suspicions of the clerk, Sam Wilson. Later in the day, Wilson observed his nervousness as he would go through the lobby and remarked that he should have to put a man in a more remote room who has light baggage and took a room for only one day. Yesterday forenoon the clerk on duty, J. C. Boushell, needing the room, sent to see if it had been vacated. The door was open and a collar and tie were on the dresser. It was thought that the guest was in the bath or out of the house. When he left his key is not known, but two hours after noon he called for it and went upstairs. That was the last seen of him alive.

After 7 o'clock the clerk called his room on the phone to ask if he would stay over the night.

Receiving no answer, the key was twisted out of the lock. Horwitz was lying on the bed, dressed in a union suit. A bottle unlabeled, stood by a drinking glass, which contained acid. The man's suit of clothes hung in the closet. There was not a single coin in his pockets nor anything of value. His bunch of keys lay on the table. Aside from the notes left there was nothing in the room but a magazine and a Cincinnati newspaper.

Deputy Coroner O. H. Parker, who viewed the body, sent it to Freeman & Marshall's morgue and the family was notified by wire.

The absence of any baggage suggests that some misfortune may have been encountered in which his personal belongings were lost. The signature he put upon the hotel register was "S. Goldstein, Cincinnati." The bellboy who showed him to his room found the former occupant's baggage still there and was starting downstairs for a change of room, when Horowitz, noting that room 223 was unoccupied, said, "I think I should like this room." His request was granted by the clerk.

Mr. Horowitz was about 38 years old, and his appearance was that of a prosperous business man. Mr. Jacobs directed that the body be prepared for burial, and held until either the wife or some of his relatives are heard from. In case they do not come to Kansas City for the body, Mr. Jacobs will direct its removal to Cincinnati.

Labels: , , , , , ,

March 23, 1907


First Degree Penalty for Son of
a Kansas City Salesman

St. Louis, March 22. --(Special.) Arthur C. Biles, son of Robert Biles, a prominent Kansas City shoe salesman, was found guilty today of first degree murder for the death of Robert Harvey, of Osage City, Mo., the jury returning the verdict after deliberating three hours. Biles took the verdict coolly.

Biles was jointly charged with Joseph Brown, who pleaded guilty several weeks ago and was sentenced to ninety-nine years. Brown testified Biles administered Harvey morphine in a glass of beer, that they then took Harvey to a vacant lot, where Biles strong-armed and robbed him; that Biles kicked Harvey in the side after the robbery, saying: "That will keep him from squealing."

Harvey was found unconscious on the lot the next morning and died the same day.

Labels: , ,

February 8. 1907


Saloonkeeper Arrested
After Injury to a Traveling Man.

In a fight in the saloon of Charles Dittmar, Broadway and Southwest boulevard, yesterday afternoon, William E. Hines, a traveling salesman from New York, was so seriously cut that he had to be taken to the University hospital. Hines did not say what started the trouble, but said it was Dittmar who struck him. He was hit with a beer glass and received a deep cut two inches long on the left side of the face, a cut an inch long under his left eye and a number of small cuts and bruises about the head and face.

Dittmar was arrested and taken to No. 3 police station, a few blocks distant, where he was released on his personal recognizance.

Labels: , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory