Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

February 7, 1910


Battery B Musicians Please
Large Audience in Con-
vention Hall.

Yesterday afternoon's concert at Convention hall by Battery B band will not be the last, according to an announcement from the stage. There was no question of the success of the event, every number being vigorously applauded, "Lohengrin" proving fully as popular as the one ragtime selection of the afternoon.

The size of the audience was a surprise to the management, nearly 1,500 people being present. It was distictly a family gathering of fathers, mothers and the children. Mr. and Mrs. Newlywed and the baby were on hand and Papa Newlywed did a pedestrian "stunt" up in the balcony when the baby showed a disposition to rial the best efforts of the musicians.

Director Berry ha arranged an excellent programme, comprising seven instrumental and two vocal numbers, which was more than doubled by the insistent encores of the audience. Miss Mildred Langworthy was the soprano soloist and Ross Dale the tenor. Both pleased and were compelled to respond to encores.

The feature numbers by the band were a fantasie from Wagner's "Lohengrin," the overture from Offenbach's "Orpheus," and exquisite number beautifully rendered; a euphonium solo, "Evening Star" from "Tannhauser"' Nevin's dainty "Narcissus." The closing number was called the "Congress of Nations" and comprised the national airs of various countries. To give a spectacular touch, members of Battery B entered, one at a time, with the flag of the country as the band played the national air, closing with "The Star Spangled Banner" and Old Glory brought a storm of applause.

Yesterday's concert demonstrated that Kansas City has a large class of music lovers who do not require the stimulus of a great name to induce them to turn out. The classic selections on yesterday's programme were equally enjoyed with the lighter numbers. Director Berry had the courage to omit "ragtime" save in one single instance, and no one, apparently, felt very badly over it.

Labels: , , ,

January 18, 1910


Told She Hindered His Army
Progress, Returns From
Islands for Divorce.

When Mrs. Ruby B. Rutherford returned to the Philippines after a visit with her mother at Columbia, Mo., her husband, who is a major in the army, met her at the boat and frankly told her he was sorry she came back to hinder his progress as an ambitions officer. Mrs. Rutherford lost no time in returning to "the States." Yesterday a divorce was granted her by Judge Seehorn in the circuit court.

Mrs. Rutherford lives at the Brunswick hotel, at Eleventh street and Broadway. She introduced as character witness her brother, C. P. Bowling, cashier of the Exchange bank of Columbia, and Judge James E. Goodrich of the circuit court. Her daughter, Dorothy, aged 9 years, was not in court.


The Rutherfords had domestic trouble before they went to the islands, and Mrs. Shepherd, wife of a captain, who often visited them at the Presidio, San Francisco, was a witness. Major Rutherford, she said, was insolent.

Mrs. Rutherford said most of her trouble had been at the Presidio, although she said the major stayed out nights after they went to the Philippines and was sorry when she returned to him after visiting at home.

A highball incident when Mrs. Rutherford gave a party at the Presidio was told in court. She said they ran out of whisky. She thought they had had enough, any way.


Another officer insisted, Mrs. Rutherford said, in going out for one more bottle. When he returned Mrs. Rutherford had her highball made "light," and Major Rutherford was angry because it wasn't the same strength as the drinks served the guests.

"When I insisted on a light drink," said Mrs. Rutherford, "my husband became angry because I did not drink as fast as he thought I should and he came and pured whisky into my glass until it ran all over me."

Mrs. Rutherford testified that while she liked to have a clean, neat house her husband, in his insolent manner, always made fun of her tidiness.


One of his delights, she said, was to finish his meal before his wife and then "rear" back in his chair and put his feet on the table.

When Major Rutherford, the wife testified, told her she was a "drawback," that she hindered his progress in the army and that he was downright sorry to see her back again, she left him, determined to sue for divorce.

Major Rutherford is connected with the medical corps and has an income of $4,000 yearly. They were married at Columbia, Mo., January 10, 1900, and Mrs. Rutherford left him February 14, 1909.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

January 18, 1910


Few Acceptable Men Enlist When
There Is Work Elsewhere.

Prosperity is bad for Uncle Sam's navy, in a way. Few healthy young men of good moral character want to ship when there's work to be had at good pay elsewhere. Just now times are mighty dull around the navy recruiting office in the federal building. Those who apply for enlistment are inferior, as a class, and few get by the rigid standard set by the regulations.

Since January 1 but thirteen men have been enlisted. Plenty apply, and a sorry looking lot they are, as a rule, bu the government has no place, in time of peace, for fellows who "ship" because there's nothing else to be done. Out of thirteen applicants yesterday but one man was accepted.

Labels: ,

December 12, 1909



Sore Feet Only Bad Effect of Feat
Performed by Lieut. Vanderbeck
and Dr. Cather in Compliance
With Roosevelt Order.
Navy Lieutenant C. S. Vanderbeck.

Lieutenant C. S. Vanderbeck and Dr. David C. Cather, of the United States navy, have proven themselves pedestrians who defy the weather man when they elect to accomplish a walking feat. For three days, ending at 2:37 o'clock yesterday afternoon, they battled against the most turbulent elements given Kansas City thus far this winter and they came under the wire with a record of having traveled on foot a distance of fifty miles in three days, or an average of three miles an hour, every step taken being in ice, snow or slush. This is considered splendid headway for a pedestrian, especially as the ordinary walker these wintry days slips back a step or two occasionally.


The physical test to which the two navy officers have just subjected themselves was in compliance with an order promulgated by Theodore Roosevelt. The strenuous executive urged several tests, but the one in particular was the walking test, it being decreed that the army and navy officers keep in physical trim by covering a distance of fifty miles in three days as frequently as possible.

Last Thursday the two officers started out. On that day they walked to Independence and back, a distance of 19 1/2 miles, in 5 hours and 57 minutes. Friday 21 miles were covered in 7 hours and 33 minutes, while yesterday the pedestrians went ten miles in 3 hours and 52 minutes.


The actual distance was 50 1/2 miles and the average of three miles per hour was made possible only by the officers wearing steel clamps on their shoes.

A physical examination of the men was made before and after the test and no bad result of his exertion and he says that he was not the least bit fatigued at the end of the journey, although his feet are a little sore.

Labels: , ,

December 10, 1909


Soldier, Fatally Wounded, Unable to
Make a Statement.

As the result of a fight between privates of Troop F, Fifteenth United States cavalry, which occurred at Twelfth and Central last night, Frank McFadden is at the general hospital with a knife wound below his heart which may prove fatal, and John Chrobel is suffering from a badly gashed back. George Pease, who is supposed to have done the stabbing, was arrested by Patrolman J. J. Lovell and is held at police headquarters.

McFadden was hurried to the emergency hospital. Dr. H. A. Pond, seeing that the man was probably fatally injured, sent for Assistant Prosecutor Norman Woodson. Further examination of the man showed that the vagus nerve had been injured, affecting the vocal chords and rendering him in capable of speech, and the prosecutor could take no statement.

The troops at Fort Leavenworth, where the Fifteenth cavalry is stationed, were paid off yesterday and McFaddden, Chrobel and Pease came to Kansas City together. They spent all day in the North end of town and were on the way to a theater when the quarrel occurred.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

December 7, 1909


Tendency to "Flat" Feet Keeps
Them Out of the Navy.

"These snows and chilly winds are elements that make our business rushing at this time of the year," said Recruiting Officer Lieutenant C. S. Vanderbeck, "and the boys from the country who do not care to work out in the weather come here to join the navy, with the hopes that they will be sent to more pleasant climes, but most of them are disappointed because they are unable to meet the physical qualifications required by the government. The great majority have what is termed the 'flatfoot,' and are declared ineligible for the service of Uncle Sam."

Out of eleven applicants yesterday, only two were able to pass the physical examination on account of this affliction. It is caused in time of youth where a boy has bone barefoot most of the time, and the arch of the foot is broken down, due possibly because of the carrying of heavy loads.

Labels: , ,

October 30, 1909


Kansas City Boy Went Around Globe
With U. S. Fleet.

Bronzed, athletic and clear-eyed Stanley Presbury, 21 years old, returned to Kansas City last evening after an absence of three years and three months in the United States navy, a fully developed man. He was met at the Union depot by his mother, Mrs. T. E. Presbury of the Hotel Moore. He will make his home in Kansas City.

Young Presbury was one of the lucky boys who enlisted from Kansas City several years ago to make the trip around the world. He was assigned to the Connecticut July 16, 1906, and was transferred to the Panther, in July, 1908, serving the balance of his time on that ship.

"I am glad to get back to old Kansas City. I was glad to leave it, and I had a trip such as few ever get," said young Presbury at the Hotel Moore last night, "but there was no place like home especially when it is Kansas City.

"There was only one country we all liked well and that was Australia. I guess it was because that country is populated with Anglo-Saxons like ourselves."

Labels: , , ,

September 28, 1909



Appointed Secretary Year Ago After
Retirement From the Abstract
Business -- Funeral Arrange-
ments Not Made.
Joseph L. Norman, School Board Pioneer.

Joseph Lafayette Norman, civil war veteran, compiler of the first set of abstract books in Kansas City, member of the school board for twenty years and its secretary for the last year, died at his home, 816 West Thirty-ninth street at 10:15 o'clock last night after an illness of two months. The funeral arrangements probably will be announced today, by which time a son who is in Mexico, and another who is in California can be heard from.

Joseph Lafayette Norman was born at Hickory Hill, Ill, October 21, 1841. In 1857, the year following the death of his mother, the family moved to Greeley, Kas., and took up a homestead there. A year later Mr. Norman and his father returned to Illinois. In the fall of 1859 Mr. Norman and his father came back West and located at what was Westport, Mo., one mile west of what is now Fortieth street and State Line. The deceased conducted a private school in Westport, and he had to close it at the outbreak of the civil war, August 14, 1862, the day of the battle of Independence, Mo.

Mr. Norman closed his school and with five of his pupils reported at Fort Union on the west side of the city and tendered their services to the government. He served for three years as a member of company A of the Twelfth regiment of Kansas volunteer infantry. At the battle of Westport on his twenty-third birthday, Mr. Norman was aide to General S. R. Curtis and carried across the field of battle an important message under an extremely dangerous fire. His first wife, Miss Martha Jane Puckett, a native of Virginia, died January 1, 1901.

They had five children, the oldest of whom, Captain Trabor Norman, is at present in the infantry, in Southern California. Another son, Joseph L, Jr., is in Mexico. Fred, Frank and Miss Jennie Norman are the other children.


On June 25, 1903 Mr. Norman married Miss Katherine Gent of Kansas City. A son, Howard, was born of this union. Mr. Norman was a member of Farragu-Thomas Post, G. A. R. No. 8, and was also a Mason. H e was the first quartermaster of the Third Regiment N. G. M. In politics he was a Republican.

All of his ancestors were inclined to the military life. His brother, Calvin M., his father, Jones, and his wife's father, William E. Plunkett, all served in the civil war.

His paternal grandfather, Joseph Norman, served in the war of 1812, and his great-grandfather served in the revolutionary war, enlisting from North Carolina.

Mr. Norman commenced the work of getting up a set of abstract books at Independence, Mo. In October, 1865, and in the spring of 18657, with Lafayette Trabor he opened an abstract office. Later the Trabor interests were sold to Richard Robertson. Mr. Norman retired from this business a year ago.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

September 21, 1909


Army Surgeon's Wife Says She Was
Prisoner in Dark Room.

Mrs. Rubey B. Rutherford filed suit for divorce in the circuit court yesterday against Henry H. Rutherford, a surgeon in the United States army, now stationed in the Philippines. They were married in 1900 in Columbia, Mo., and separated last February. She charges that Rutherford used harsh language and on several occasions locked her in her room, taking away the incandescent lights so she would be in the darkness. When she returned to the Philippines in 1908 after having visited her parents in the United States, she says he told her he was sorry she had returned. Later he told her to go home and stay, she says, and she did so. There is a child, now nine years of age.

Labels: , , ,

September 20, 1909


Lieut. Landis Finds It's Difficult to
Believe Some Peary Stories.

"The marvelous has bloomed out continually in the tales of the travels of Dr. Cook and Commander Peary to the North Pole and back again, but I do not doubt that over-zealous press correspondents have wrought greater wonders on the true statements of the explorers," said Lieut. I. F. Landis, who is in charge of the local naval recruiting station.

"To my mind the most irregular story which has come floating down from the land of snow and ice is that of Peary making a mistake in planting his flag the first night, and correcting it fifty feet twenty-four hours later.

"The facts are that the location of the pole was up to the sextant, a little mechanism as well known to seamen as the compass is to landsmen. Because the sextant reckons latitude on the horizon, the sky line is never the same in two localities, it is more or less an inaccurate machine, and old navigators say it is never accurate to the half mile mark. With conditions as unfavorable as they must be in the vicinity of the poles, it is doubtful if the best regulated and equipped sextant could do more than locate the top o' the world within a radius of six miles."

According to naval rating Peary is a lieutenant on special service, ranking third among the civil engineers of the navy. In the Navy and Marine Corps List and Directory he is mentioned in the alphabetical list as follows:

"Peary, Robt. E., civil engineer. On duty under Coast and Geodetic Survey, making tidal observations on the coast of Grant Land and Greenland."

Labels: ,

September 14, 1909



Staunch Irish-American Patriot
Mixed in Many Attempts to Free
Ireland -- Stabbed for Expos-
ing Clan ne Gael Plot.
Captain Thomas Phelan, Soldiler of Fortune.

The death of Captain Thomas Phelan, Irish-American patriot and soldier of fortune, which occurred at 2:30 o'clock last Saturday afternoon, in Bremerton, Wash., ended a life full of romance and a checkered career in war and politics. Early in life he was bitten with the wanderlust, and during the early 60s and 70s helped to make history, not only in America, but in Canada and Ireland. Captain Phelan was 76 years old and leaves a widow and four children.

Being a native of Ireland, Captain Phelan throughout his life and did all in his power to bring freedom to Erin. He was born near the town of Tipperary and came to America about 1857, locating at Independence, Mo. He married Miss Alice Cox of that city.

During the early part of Captain Phelan's life he was embroiled in many attempts to free his native country from the yoke of England. Shortly after his marriage in Independence he enlisted as a volunteer in the Seventh Missouri regiment of the Union army and fought with that regiment throughout the war. He rose from the ranks to a captain. He was in many of the important battles.


One of his daring acts committed during the progress of the war was at the siege of Vicksburg. It was necessary to take a steamboat loaded with cotton and other products, and munitions of war, down the river and Captain Phelan was delegated to run the blockade.

Transferring bales of hay for cotton around the edge of the boat he succeeded in getting safely through the lines. His name appears in Civil war history as that of the man responsible for breaking the blockade.

In the late 60's he gained fame and notoriety by engaging in the Fenian raid from the United States into Canada in a futile attempt to occupy Canada and make it a base of supplies from which to carry on warfare with England for the freedom of Ireland.

The Irish in America congregated about Ridgeway, Canada, for the purpose of an uprising and gaining a stronghold in the Canadian country. Some 1,400 Irish left the United States for this purpose, but boats on the waterways cut off a portion, and they failed to land in Canada. A battle in which many persons were killed on both sides was fought by the Irishmen against the Queen's Own regiment.

While making a visit to his home country, Captain Phelan learned that the Clan na Gael was planning to blow up an English ship named the Queen. Although against England, Captain Phelan did not believe in destroying innocent passengers, and therefore notified the English ship people. In some manner his part became public, and O'Donovan Rossa, editor of the Irishman of New York, attacked his loyalty in the paper.


The incident occurred during the term as mayor here of Lee Talbot. Captain Phelan was called to New York to be given an opportunity to explain matters relative to his informing the British of the intended blowing up of the Queen.

Close friendship had before existed between Rossa and Phelan, and the latter did not realize that he was to be the victim of a trap. He went to New York and entered Rossa's office. While there an endeavor to assassinate him was made by an Irishman living in the East. Captain Phelan was stabbed thirteen times and received a broken arm in the attack. He was confined in a hospital in New York for many months on account of his injuries. The news that he gave the information to the English leaked out through a story of the plot printed in Kansas City and written by Frank P. Clarke, a former newspaper man, now living here.

Between the years of 1882 and 1888 Captain Phelan was superintendent of the Kansas City workhouse. He was greatly interested in politics and was a staunch Republican all of his life. When the criminal court was instituted in Jackson county he was appointed clerk of the court and was the first to fill this position. Under Mayor John Moore he served as superintendent of public works. While Colonel R. T. Van Horn was a member of Congress Captain Phelan received the appointment of captain of police of Washington, D. C.


After the civil war he organized Company D of the Third Regiment and was a captain in the regiment for many years. Later he organized Battery B. For the last seven years he had been in charge of a navy yard at Bremerton, Wash., where ships of the United States are repaired. He was holding this position when he died. Captain Phelan belonged to the G. A. R., but was not a member of any other organization.

Captain Phelen also figured very prominently in a duel which was never pulled off. The participants were to have been a Captain McCafferty and Captain Phelan. Rifles were the weapons chosen, and seconds and grounds had been picked when friends interfered.

At one time a number of Irish left America to aid Ireland, whose sons were to rise against England upon a certain day. Chester, England, was the place of the rendezvous for the Irish-Americans. Arms had been secured for their use.

The English troops, however, got wind of the threatened uprising and were sent out in such large forces that the Irish were overawed. The difficulty between Captains McCafferty and Phelan arose out of the means to be used at this time in trying to free Ireland.

Captain Phelan's family resides at 3205 Washington street. Dr. Y. J. Acton of Bremerton notified the family of the death. The body was buried yesterday afternoon in the Soldiers and Sailors' cemetery at Bremerton, Wash., by Captain Phelan's special request.

For many years Captain Phelan traveled over the country giving exhibitions of shooting and fencing. He was a crack shot with pistols and rifles, and was a famous swordsman.

Captain Phelan, while the Dreyfus affair in France was at its height, challenged Count Esterhazy, accuser of Dreyfus, to a duel with swords, to be fought anywhere in the world.

Besides his widow, Mrs. John Young and Miss Annie Phelan, daughters, and two sons, Robert Phelan, a police detective, and Thomas Phelan, survive.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

September 1, 1909


Brother of Naval Commander Back
From Pacific Coast.

Frank P. Sebree is home from the Pacific coast, where he went to pay a visit to his brother, the admiral. Admiral Uriel Sebree is assembling a fleet of seventeen ships to make a cruise across Japan prior to his retiring under the age limit next February. The admiral and eight ships under him just now are among the most conspicuous attractions at Seattle.

"The grandest sight I saw was that fleet," said Mr. Sebree yesterday, "and the oddest was the salmon. The salmon is about the oddest fish they meet anywhere. It is born in fresh water and remains inland till it is two or three inches long. Then it goes to sea and remains away four years. N o salmon, save for a few strays, go back to the fresh waters during the second or third year, but the fourth year the whole school has a homecoming, and it comes all at once. The story they told me is that the salmon comes back home to spawn and to remain till it dies. The canners watch for the homecoming and set their nets. I saw one net, thirty-five feet each way, top side and bottom, so full of fish that it did not seem to me they could get any more in it. The estimate was 60,000 salmon in that net. I think they must have weighed about five to seven pounds easy.

"Where the salmon spends its time during those four long years it is absent, what it feeds on or how it knows to come back is all mystery. The fish are all fat and yet they have scarcely any place in their 'innards' to put food, if they eat any."

Labels: ,

August 30, 1909



For a Week Products of Farm Will
Take Precedence Over Thrill-
ers -- Special Features
Are Attractive.

There was a bunch of tired men in Independence last night who seemed happy in their fatigue. They were the directors of the Independence fair and everything was ready for the opening this morning. The fair this year is going to be just as it has always been, an old-fashioned county affair where the products of the farm take precedence over thrillers of summer park invention and where a prize hog looks a whole lot better than a motor car, for the time being.

And if exhibits are to be counted, the Independence fair is better off this year than ever before. It has been a good year on the farms of Jackson county, and for that reason the exhibits are going to be the largest in the history of the fair. The mountain of pumpkins, a yearly feature of the fair, is to be cooked into pies and distributed to visitors as edible souvenirs. That is to be done on the last day, Saturday.


The fair is to have executive recognition and it will be opened at 10 o'clock this morning by Governor H. S. Hadley. The governor will make his speech at that time, after the salute of Battery B of Kansas City has been fired. After the speech of the governor, the battery will maneuver and the fair will be on in earnest. The gates will be open at 7 o'clock in the morning.

The directors have offered purses aggregating $10,000 for the race meeting, and there is a good list of entries. Independence is on three racing circuits and more than 200 horses will strive for the various purses. There will be from one to three races a day.


Admission to the grounds is to be free this year and as an added attraction, there is to be a fireworks display every night. A band will give a free concert every night. Zach Mulhall's Wild West show will be there.

There is to be a series of special days. Tomorrow is to be a special racing day and there will be an extra race for an extra prize. Thursday will be Kansas City day, when Kansas City exhibitors and Kansas City exhibits will have full sway. Friday will be Old Settler's day. Many of the old settlers of Jackson county and the counties surrounding will attend the fair on that day. Saturday is to be pumpkin day.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

June 5, 1909


Two Hundred Members Will Parade
Tonight to Special Train.

A parade of 200 members of the Brotherhood of American Yoemen will take place at 8:30 tonight, preliminary to t heir departure for Minneapolis, Minn., to attend the national conclave. The parade will take the route from the hall, 1013 Holmes street, to Fifteenth street to Grand avenue, then to Twelfth street and over to Main street, where it will turn north to Ninth. Cars for the depot will be boarded at the junction.

In the party going North will be the young women's military drill team, young men's military drill team and the degree staff. They have chartered a special train for the trip.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

June 3, 1909



Addresses by Leon Smith, Henry D.
Ashley and Mayor Crittenden.
Cord Releasing Flag Pulled
by Phillip Meyer.

At the unveiling yesterday afternoon of the bronze and marble memorial in honor of August R. Meyer, first president of the park board, at the Paseo and Tenth street, a drowed of 5,000 persons witnessed the ceremonies. Members of the Meyer statue comittee, Mayor Thomas T. Crittenden, Leon Smith, president of the Commercial Club, and business associates and friends of the man whose memory was to be honored, rode to the scene of the memorial services in carriages. Chief of Police Frank Snow headed the processoin with a detachment of mounted police, followed by Hiner's band and Company K, of the Third regiment, national guards. Colonel Cusil Lechtman, attended by the majors and captains of the regimennt, rode in advance of the guards.

Before the arrival of the parade the crowd had gathered in front of the statue and locked traffic on Tenth street. Many women and children were in the crowd, and when the mounted police turned west on Tenth street from the Paseo the pushing back of those in the middle of hte street crushed the smaller children, and women begged the police to help them out of the jam.

A raised platform had been erected on each side of the statue, which his located on the Paseo grounds just north of and facing Tenth street. The committee occupied the platform and Mrs. Meyer accompanied by her children and friends sat in an au tomobile in front of the statue. Following a selection by the band Leon Smith made an address in which he told of the services rendered by Mr. Meyer in whose honor the shaft was erected.


The subject of the bronze portrait in relief which adorns the marble statue was the father of the park system in Kansas City. He was not only president of the first park board, but was also president of the Commercial Club, which was instrumental in securing the statue. A few days after the death of Mr. Meyer, December 1, 1905, the Commercial Club met and instituted a popular subscription for a monument to the memory of one of Kansas City's foremost men. The amount to be raised was placed at $25,000. Daniel Chester French, the great American sculptor of New York was selected to do the relief. It is the fist monument ever unveiled by this city.

Henry D. Ashley, an old friend of Mr. Meyer's, spoke for three-quarters of an hour in eulogy of the man, whom he declared had done more for the beauty of Kansas City than any other one man. He said that his friend was not only interested in beautifying Kansas City, but was prominent in every public enterprise and civic improvement. Following Mr. Ashley an address was made by Mayor Crittenden. He said, in part:


"The biting frost of death does not kill the fruit of patriotism. It bears on everlastingly. Thee handiwork of Washington is still our daily benefit, and the richest asset of Lincoln's life will pay dividends from generation to generation. While our distinguished townsman August R. Meyer, sleeps, grateful multitudes are daily reaping harvests of bloom and bower and flower and fountain, children of his busy brain. In life he gave abundantly the best he had -- his talents; in death we give him freely the best we have -- our gratitude.

"This great citizen, forerunning his time, saw wisely that the modern city must not confine itself merely to commerce, but must beautify as well; that it must not only have stores and banks and lawns, where the rich and the poor could enjoy the health giving sunlight and pure fresh air."

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

June 1, 1909


Major E. A. Hickman Has Been In-
structor at Wentworth Academy.

Major E. A. Hickman, with his wife and daughter, left Independence yesterday for the Philippines, where he will re-enter active service. Until three years ago Major Hickman was in the Philippines, when he was assigned by the government as instructor at the Wentworth Military Academy.

Mrs. Hickman is a daughter of Judge James B. Gant of the Missouri Supreme Court.

Labels: , ,

May 31, 1909


Person Who Attends Ball Game Then
Should Be Branded, Says
Rev. James Schindel.

"Tomorrow will be Memorial day, a holy day, not a holiday. If it were in my power I would gather every man in Kansas city who goes to a baseball game or other amusement on that day, into some public concourse and brand him as a traitor."

With these words the Rev. James C. Schindel, pastor of the First English Lutheran church, last night denounced everything that would tend to desecrate the day when America pays grateful tribute to her soldier dead. At nearly all of the churches yesterday, mention was made of the day.

Various G. A. R. posts of Kansas City will visit the cemeteries today and decorate the graves of the fallen and at Independence the Pythians will remember their departed members.

Mr. Schindel's sermon was to members of the Grand Army of the Republic, Women's Relief Corps, Confederate Veterans Army of the Philippines, Ladies' Auxiliary, Society of the Porto Rican Expedition, United Spanish war veterans, the Third Regiment of the Missouri national guard and the Lincoln circle of the G. A. R. The church was crowded.

When Mr. Schindel made his denunciation of persons who seek amusement on such an occasion as Memorial day, the veterans could not withhold suppressed applause.

Paul's words: "I have fought a good fight," furnished the pastor his text.

Labels: , , , , , ,

May 31, 1909



End Comes to Noted Musician, Who
for Many Years Was Musical
Director at Leavenworth
Soldiers' Home.

Pedro C. Meyrelles, the bandmaster who accompanied General U. S. Grant around the world, who led Patti's orchestra for ten years, long musical director of the Leavenworth Soldiers' home and once one of the most distinguished musicians and conductors in this country, died yesterday morning at his hime, 2321 Harrison street, after a protracted illness.

Mr. Meyrelles was born of a family of musicians in Oporto, Portugal. He first began the systematic study of music at the age of 11. when a young man he graduated from the best musical school in Lisbon and at 28 came to America.


He landed in Boston, where he gave lessons. When a bandmaster was wanted to accompany General U. S. Grant in his triumphal tour around the world. Meyrelles was honored with the position. He was enlisted in the army for three years and was made a first lieutenant in order to accept this post. The king of Portugal himself decorated Meyrelles with a medal and the empress of China had him to sup with her and afterwards gave him a decoration.

When the trip was over Meyrelles found himself a national figure. Upon his return to Boston he was chosen by Patti to lead her orchestra and remained with the great singer for ten years, making two trips abroad with her. It was at this time that Meyrelles met the woman who afterwards became his wife. She was Miss Georgia Follensbee, a member of an old Boston family and a singer in Patti's company.

They were in the company together for several years, but it was not until twenty-one years ago that they were married. The event occurred immediately after Meyrelles left Patti's company to accept a governor appointment as director of music at the Soldiers' home, Leavenworth, Kas. Meyrelles remained in this position until May 20 of last year, when his failing health made it necessary for him to retire.


Meyrelles, besides being a master of every musical instrument played in either band or orchestra, was a composer of many well known pieces. His arrangement of the Stabat Mater is a classic and his "Governor Owen's March" is still widely used. In addition he composed all the music used in the Priests of Pallas festivals for the last five years and all used in the Kansas building at the Louisiana Purchase exposition. For his own use, his favorite instrument was the clarinet.

Meyrelles was a Mason, a member of the B. P. O. E. and the Theatrical Mechanical Association. A Roman Catholic by training and practice for many years, he had fallen away from his faith, but in his last hours he asked for a priest and was given the rites of the church. The cause of his death was principally heart trouble.

The body will be taken to the Old Soldiers' home near Leavenworth and will be given military burial tomorrow.

He leaves a widow.

Labels: , , , , ,

May 20, 1909


Austrian Went Back to Visit and
Army Got Him a Year.

Thomas Lacy, better known by the residents of the first ward of Kansas City, Kas., as "Hop-to-it-Tom," returned yesterday from a visit to his native country, Austria. Lacy came to this city when a boy and amassed a small fortune in commercial pursuits in the packing house district. He decided to visit the home of his birth in May last year, but before going back he neglected to take out naturalization papers. At the time he left Austria the first time to come to this country he had not given his country the required army service, and when he went back home on a visit he was arrested and after a trial sentenced to serve one year in the Austrian army.

"If I had been smart," said Lacy yesterday, "I would have taken out my papers, declaring my allegiance to the United Stated before leaving for the old country. I hadn't landed over there more than a week, when I was picked up and informed that I would have to do army service before returning to the States. I was sentenced to one year's service in the army, but after serving three months I secured my release by paying a man to serve as my substitute. It cost me quite a little bit of coin, but I am back into the States and I propose to stick here from now on."

Labels: , ,

May 8, 1909


But When Bertha Marlowe "Came
To" She Still Was For Him.

Unconscious and bleeding from a deep wound in her face, Bertha Marlowe, 19 years old, was found in a rooming house at 210 1/2 Independence avenue last night. When she was revived at the emergency hospital she told the police that she had been attacked by her lover w ho, she asserted, deserted from the army. The girl, who is a laundry worker, told an amazing story of woman fidelity.

She says she came to Kansas City several weeks ago after her sweet-heart had left the army. Her home is in Courtney, Mo., but she gave her parents no intimation of her plans, save that she intended to go to work here.

Since joining the man she ways she has given him money that she has earned in the laundry; money that she received from home, as well as going to police headquarters and baling him out when he was arrested a week ago.

Last night she says he was drinking. She sought him and found him. As a reward he battered her on the face with a beer bottle and other ways mistreated her.

With her face puffed up almost beyond recognition, the ugly cut marring what is not an unpretty face, and reciting the story of mistreatment and imposition, Lieutenant Al Ryan asked her if she would prosecute her sweetheart in the event of his capture.

"Yes, I'll prosecute," said the girl.

There was a moment's pause. "No, I'll take that back. I guess I won't prosecute! I still love him!"

Whereat Dr. Dr. Fred B. Kyger applied some more arniea to the face wound and told the young woman to lie down.

Labels: , , , , ,

May 2, 1909


General Morton Tells of Valor at
Army Officers' Banquet.

What is said to have been the largest gathering of army officers, graduates of West Point, away from the academy itself, was held at the Hotel Baltimore last night when nearly 100 officers assembled in the ball room at the first of a series of annual banquets to be given in Kansas City. Brigadier General Charles A. Morton of Omaha, commander of the department of the Missouri, was the presiding officer.

General Morton, in response to the toast, "The Army," said that the valor of the American army on the field of battle had never been questioned and that its efficiency and strength has only been made possible by its superiority. The general spoke of the condition of the army today and declared that its increase had never been in proportion to the increase of the population of the country.

Following General Morton, Mayor Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., welcomed the officers and their guests to Kansas City. The mayor extended to them the usual courtesies and promised immunity from arrest while within the corporate limits of the city.

The following toasts were responded to: "The Navy," Lieutenant R. S. Landis, U. S. N., and "Military Education by Captain H. A. White of the military school at Fort Leavenworth. "Our Dead" was a silent toast.

Brigadier General Frederick Funston, who was to have responded to the toast "West Point," was obliged to leave the banquet room early and was not heard. General Funston was the guest of honor. Other guests were: General Rambold, Colonel Loughborough and Colonel Lechtman.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

April 29, 1909


Governor's Staff at Mansion Hop in
Honor of Colonel Andrae.

JEFFERSON CITY, April 28. -- Governor Herbert S. Hadley tonight gave a dance in honor of Colonel Henry Andrae, warden of the state penitentiary and a member of the governor's staff,, who is to be married tomorrow to Miss Gussie Neff.

For the event the governor invited all the members of his official staff, and about twenty of them reported in full regimentals. None made a braver showing than Colonel E. S. Jewett of Kansas City, who was in full uniform, and smothered in gold lace.

Labels: , , , , , ,

April 18, 1909


One Hundred Bought for Reclama-
tion Work in Montana.

The United States government yesterday purchased a herd of 100 mules, to be used on the reclamation work in Montana, from Kansas City dealers. H. H. Nelson, inspector of the United States army, selected the animals, which are said to be the best herd ever sold to the government from this section of the country.

An average weight of 1,350 pounds was required, and but few of the mules fell below that figure. The price paid was $250 apiece. The company which made the sale declares that so large a herd of uniformly fine stock has never before been taken out of Kansas City. The mules were shipped to Browning and Alree, Mont., last night.

Labels: ,

April 16, 1909


Paul Betheman of the Connecticut
a Kansas City Boy.

The honor of being the wireless operator on the flagship Connecticut in the great fleet's cruise around the world belongs to a Kansas City boy, Paul Betheman, of 1521 Troost avenue. Young Betheman has been in Kansas City on a two-weeks furlough, visiting his mother, Mrs. Lena Betheman, but returns to Brooklyn today to join his ship.

Betheman is 24 years old and joined the navy at the time of the telegraphers' strike in 1907. His knowledge of telegraphy was invaluable and he was at once put in charge of the instrument on the battleship.

All of the orders to the different ships in the fleet were sent through Betheman. At present, he is one of the few operators who is glad that the telegraph strike took place.

Labels: , , ,

April 13, 1909


Big Cop Returns to Old Love -- the
Wild West Show.
Duke Lee, Former Police Officer

Duke Lee, after two years of faithful service as a Kansas City policeman, turned in his resignation to Secretary James Vincil of the board of police commissioners yesterday. Last night was Lee's final performance in the role of a bluecoat. Within a few days he will be at Ponca City, Ok., where he will join his old love -- a Wild West show.

Lee has crowded an interesting and somewhat extraordinary career into a life of 32 years. He was a good horseman, a good shot and a good cowpuncher when he was 16 years old. He rode the plains of Wyoming and might have been there yet had it not been for a war with the sheep herders. This caused him to migrate to Texas, where he joined the Buffalo Bill Wild West show. When the Spanish war was declared in 1898 Lee joined Troop C of the Sixth cavalry, was sent to the Philippines and later went to China and participated in the siege of Peking.

Returning to America after the Boxer trouble, Lee rejoined the Buffalo Bill show and stuck to the sawdust for four years, but upon the suggestion of friends came here and landed a job on the force. Lee thought that he was to be given a place in the mounted squad, but he rode a horse only the first month. He has been walking a beat ever since.

While in Kansas City Lee got married and got fat. His wife was Miss Pansy Clark, whose dower amounted to several thousand dollars.

In the capacity of showman, Lee will soon be in Kansas City. He hopes to take off about twenty-five pounds of flesh before his return.

Labels: , , ,

April 13, 1909


Navy Applicant Must Have Certi-
ficate of Age From Parents.

It will not be easy for young men under the required age to enlist in the navy from now on. Orders from the secretary of the navy were received yesterday by Lieutenant I. F. Landis of the recruiting station in the federal building, to demand from each applicant a certificate of age, with the names of parents or legal guardian attached.

The rule has been to accept the applicant's affidavit as to his age and the estimation of the examining physician that he is older than 18 years.

Labels: ,

April 12, 1909


Third Regiment Attends Services at
Central Methodist Episcopal.

Following its annual custom, the Third regiment of the Missouri national guard attended the morning Easter services at Central Methodist Episcopal church, south, Eleventh street and the Paseo. They turned out about 350 strong under command of Colonel Cusil Lechtman and the regimental and company officers. Dr. G. M. Gibson, president of the Central College for Young Women at Lexington, delivered the sermon.

After the services the regiment paraded in full dress north on the Paseo to Ninth street, west on Ninth to Grand avenue, south on Grand to Fourteenth street and east on Fourteenth street to the armory at Fourteenth street and Michigan avenue.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

April 9, 1909


Navy Yeomen Were Former School-
mates in Minnesota Town.

Ten years ago John R. Rose and Leo A. Ketterer were classmates in the little town of Shakopee, Minn. Rose became afflicted with sea fever, so one day he enlisted in the United States navy. A year later Ketterer also joined the navy.

Yesterday the former schoolmates met in the navy recruiting office in the federal building for the first time since their enlistment. Rose had been chief yeoman at the station here since November, 1908. Ketterer, also chief yeoman, arrived to relieve him, as Rose has been ordered to duty on board the battleship New Jersey of the North Atlantic fleet.

"Hello, Johnny," said Ketterer, as he came into the office to begin work.

"Why, hello," said Rose. "I had almost forgotten you were in the navy. Where have you been the last ten years? I had lost track of you."

Both men have been around the world a time or two and crossed the equator several times. Ketterer has been in the Far East almost constantly since his first enlistment, and was on the Flagship Rainbow when it carried President Taft, then secretary of war, from Manila to Vladivostok.

Yeoman Rose left for the East at 11 o'clock last night.

Labels: , ,

March 23, 1909


Australian Military Official Vis-
iting American Posts.

The military of Australia is to be conducted in some respects like that of the United States, and for the purpose of getting ideas to use in the Antipodes. Major General John C. Hoad, inspector general of the commonwealth of Australia, is visiting United States army posts where service schools are maintained.

Major Hoad was in Kansas City yesterday morning on his way from Leavenworth to Fort Riley. He has visited all the principal forts in the Eastern states and will end his trip with a visit to the Presidio of San Francisco.

Labels: , , ,

March 4, 1909


Older Boys Will Hear "What Makes
a Soldier."

A meeting of older boys will be held at the Academy of Music Sunday at 3:30 p. m. under the auspices of the Y. M. C. A. An address on "What Makes a Soldier" will be delivered by Colonel T. W. Goldin, mounted messenger for General Custer and a survivor of the battle of the Little Big Horn.

This will be the first of a series of meetings for older boys which will be held at the same place every Sunday afternoon. Moving pictures representing biblical scenes will be shown after the lecture. Special music will be furnished. admission by ticket only.

Labels: , , , , ,

March 4, 1909


Telegraphs Appreciation to President
for Interest in Son's Behalf.

In a personal telegram which was forwarded to Washington yesterday, Rear Admiral Robley D. Evans and wife thanked President Roosevelt for his efforts in behalf of their son, Lieutenant Frank Evans, whose court-martial sentence for misconduct in the Philippines last year was reduced from a loss of 150 numbers and a reprimand to a loss of fifty numbers and a reprimand. The aged parents of the young officer heard of the modification of their son's sentence at the Hotel Baltimore yesterday morning and were overjoyed.

Admiral Evans and his wife departed yesterday afternoon for Joplin, where the admiral lectured last night.

Labels: , , , , , ,

February 27, 1909


Wheel Chair Ordered for Admiral,
Who Has Rheumatism.

"Rear Admiral Robley D. Evans will arrive on the Burlington from St. Louis Saturday morning at 7:10. Meet him with a wheel chair and see that he is cared for. He has a severe attack of rheumatism."

This was the order received by Union depot officials last night. "Fighting Bob" is coming to Kansas City to lecture next Tuesday evening at Convention hall under the auspices of the local Young Women's Christian Association on "From Hampton Roads to San Francisco," relating interesting incidents in connection with the cruise of the American battleships during the first leg of their globe-encircling journey.

It was not known here that Admiral Evans was ill until the above instructions were received by the depot authorities. Kansas City business men had planned to have a delegation meet the distinguished visitor and entertain him, but it is probable that his condition will prevent him from taking part in any social functions. It is thought, however, that he will be able to fill his engagement.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

February 26, 1909


Raw Recruit Tried to Bathe in Fed-
eral Building Sink.

"I don't know, I s'pose that feller meant what he said, but how can I get a good wash here unless I get right into it, and how am I going to get in even if he does want me to," ruminated C. L. Johnson, a raw recruit for the navy, in the public wash room in the federal building yesterday.

W. J. Vickery, chief clerk in the postoffice inspector's department, heard Johnson's soliloquy and called in Quartermaster Freese of the recruiting station. When Freese arrived on the scene Johnson was just removing the last articles of his apparel preparatory to the bath he was about to take.

"Now, how do you ever expect a feller to get into that?" exclaimed the recruit, while pointing at the porcelain sink used by the janitors of the building. "I simply can't do it, an' if you want me to take a good wash, I guess I'll have to do it a little at a time. If I did get into it, I could never get out."

By this time an interested group of spectators had gathered, and Johnson concluded to postpone his bath, and hurriedly donned his clothing. Quartermaster Freese explained the situation.

"I told him to go out and take a good wash, so that I could get a record of his finger prints, which we keep on file in our office for reference. I didn't mean for him to take a bath. He'll get all of that that's coming to him when he gets to Mare Island."

Johnson is 18 years old, and said he had parents, but did not know where they were. His physical examination showed far better than the majority of applicants. He was sent to San Francisco, where he will enter the apprentice schools at Mare Island. He said he lived at Anderson, Mo.

Labels: , ,

February 16, 1909


One Cossack Is Worth a Battal-
ion, Says Russian.

A little man with a lambskin cap shaped like a cow bell, and with military boots and trousers, attracted some attention among the loiterers at the Union depot last night. He brought his heels together and raised his right hand obliquely across his face in some strange military salute when accosted by George Jenkins, the depot interpreter.

Thereafter he stood at respectful attention while the official gathered information necessary to find his three brothers. He said they were Russians and lived at 44 Porter avenue, Kansas City, Kas.

"How long did you serve in the army?" the interpreter asked in the Russian tongue.

"Five years. I am a cossack of the Don," was the answer in the same language. "I am Corporal Keprijon Kazniux of Ozarich. No one in my regiment could ride better or shoot straighter than I. Perhaps the Japanese know that."

"Ask him if the Japanese can fight well," interrupted a bystander when the interpreter had translated.

The interpreter did so and then for a minute the little man sputtered fiercely in his own tongue what sounded to be one continuous word of unharmonious syllables.

"He says they fight fairly well in their own country," translated Jenkins, "but they can't shoot and they can't ride worth -- something in Russian. He says that one cossack is worth a battalion of Japanese cavalry. That's all he has to say about the Japanese."

Kazinux has a military carriage and although short in stature did not compare unfavorably with several soldiers from Fort Leavenworth who were standing near. He wore a richly embroidered silk shirt and tight fitting blue-gray trousers, with a thin green stripe, tucked into the tall boots.

Labels: , , , ,

January 29, 1908


Kansas City Boy Re-Enlists -- Is Now
First Class Quartermaster.

One of the youngest first class quartermasters in the United States naval service is J. I. Freese, a Kansas City, Kas., boy, who re-enlisted for the second time in the navy recruiting station in the federal building yesterday and was temporarily detailed for clerical work here. Freese is 21 years old, but has now reached about the top rung of a sailorman's ambition. In fact, an enlisted man has reached about the limit of his eligibility when he is a quartermaster of the first class and has little more to hope for in times of peace.

The naval experiences of Freese appear large for a boy of his years, but in talking of them he does not let you forget for instant that he joined the jack tars in 1902 instead of yesterday. He was set at that time to do a year at Newport. Then he took a training cruise on board the Essex and was transferred to the Maine for a three-months journey in Southern Europe.

When Rear Admiral Robley D. Evans was ordered to make a Pacific fleet out of the Atlantic fleet, Freese was a quartermaster on board the Connecticut. At San Francisco he was changed to the Maine again, and the Maine and Alabama were detached and sent around the world ahead of the fleet, touching at Honolulu, Guam, Colombo and Port Said. Last November the two ships arrived home at Portsmouth, N. H., where Freese was mustered out of service.

"I like the navy and I am going to stick to it," said the young quartermaster yesterday. "It's the only life for me, although there is lots of grind and hard work attached to the job."

B. J. Freese, the boy's father, is a railroad foreman of the West Bottoms, living on North Fourth street, Kansas City, Kas.

Labels: , ,

January 12, 1909





Batteries Fire Salute of Seventeen
Guns in Honor of the New
Executive -- Hadley De-
fines Policies.
Herbert Spencer Hadley, Governor of Missouri

JEFFERSON CITY, Jan 11. -- (Special.) With the inauguration today of Herbert S. Hadley, Missouri, for the first time in nearly forty years, has a Republican governor.

Governor Hadley was inducted into office in a snowstorm. A week ago Governor Joseph W. Folk informally surrendered the mansion house to Mr. and Mrs. Hadley, but in order to have everything ceremonial today, the Folks and Hadleys returned to their old homes. At 11 o'clock Governor Folk left the mansion house, attended by the Third regiment of infantry from Kansas City, and a detachment of artillerymen from St. Louis, and made a ceremonial call upon Mr. Hadley, traveling in a carriage.

Mr. Hadley joined the retiring governor in the carriage, and the two made their way to the capitol, reaching there shortly before noon. The retiring and incoming state officials, excepting the lieutenant governor and the claimants, were assembled in the executive offices. When the party was completed by the arrival of Mr. Hadley and Governor Folk, all of them went to the house of representatives to be sworn in.


The hall was packed to its full capacity, and there was tumult in the corridors, caused by hundreds fighting for admittance, which they were unable to gain. The members of the supreme court occupied the speaker's stand, Justice Henry Lamm acting as president. He is the only Republican member of the supreme court.

With little ado Mr. Hadley, walking by the side of the retiring governor, went to where Mr. Justice Lamm was standing, and, being told by the justice to do so, raised his hand and the administration of the oath began.

John C. McKinley, the retiring lieutenant governor, acting as president of the joint session of the legislature which was in session for the inaugural, caused some apprehension when, because of the noise in the corridor, he loudly ordered the sergeant-at-arms to "eject the disturbers from the state house."


The prospect of hostilities caused the chief justice to pause in the administration of his oath. Hie own hand, which had been raised aloft, dropped to his side. Mr. Hadley did not do this. His hand was up for keeps, and he kept it there until the justice could resume and conclude. A

As soon as Governor Hadley was in office and Governor Folk automatically out of office the other officers were lined up and sworn in en masse. These were James Cowgill, treasurer; John D. Gordon, auditor; Cornelius Roach, secretary of state; Elliot W. Majors, attorney general; John A. Knott, railroad and warehouse commissioner.

Cannons began booming after the inauguration announcing the fact to the world, whereupon Governor Hadley made his inaugural address. He said:

"In the performance of the duties of the office of governor, my sole ambition and desire will be to continue to deserve the confidence and approval of the people of Missouri.

"Forty years have come and gone since a candidate of the Republican party was inaugurated as governor of this state. It will be sufficient for the purposes of this occasion to learn from the last half century of Missouri's history a lesson of conservatism and official fairness in the conduct of public affairs. And the political differences need not interfere with the performance of official duties, has been emphasized during the course of the last four years. For during that time, the state officials, partly of one party, and partly of another, have worked together in complete harmony and effectiveness.

"And the people have thus learned that no political party is entirely bad, and that no political party can claim a monopoly of official honesty and virtue.

"It is also necessary that we should be ever mindful of the fact that the powers of government are divided between the legislative, the executive and the judicial departments. While the rights and authority of each are intimately related with the others, yet it is also necessary that each should exercise its own powers, without interference from the others.


"There will be no questions considered by you which are more important than those connected with the work of education. It has been frequently charged that too much money is being expended for the conduct of the state university. I do not believe that there is any substantial basis of complaint on account of any disparity in the distribution of revenues of the state between the state university and the other parts of our educational system.

"But that something is wrong with our work of education is readily apparent by the examination of the statistics as to the illiteracy of our children of school age. According to the statistics of 1900, among the forty-eight states of the national Union, our rank in literacy was 31.

"It is worthy of notice that Missouri is one of four states in the Union that has no provision for superintendents of schools in each county of the state. And the fact that the other three states, namely Louisiana, Arkansas and Mississippi all have a lower rank of literacy than Missouri may tend to explain this unsatisfactory condition.

"While I claim no special knowledge or experience in matters of education, I do feel that the effectiveness of the common schools of the state must be raised if we are to make any substantial progress in the correction of the present unsatisfactory conditions.

"In no department of work has greater progress been made than in the study and investigation of agriculture, horticulture and the raising and care of live stock. The importance of this work in increasing the wealth and happiness of the people of the state cannot be overestimated. There should be no lack of funds to carry on this work in the most thorough manner possible.

"Under the scientific direction of the representatives of the state, and those whom it educates, should be conducted: The investigation of mineral deposits; the means of improving fertility and productivity of the soil; the growth and conservation of our forests; the use of our water power; the development of our water highways; the improvement of the conditions of life and the protection of the health and welfare of our people.


"The Missourian has bee the great pioneer. Missouri was the first state lying wholly west of the Mississippi to be admitted to the union. Maine entered the Union upon the shoulders of Missouri.

"For forty years Missouri stood as an outpost of civilization, reaching out into the unknown and undeveloped West. From her borders radiated those two great highways of Western exploration, travel, commerce and of conquest, on ending in the Northwest on the shores of the Pacific, and the other in the Southwest, in the land of the Mexican and the Spaniard. And along these great highways marched those hardy Missouri pioneers, hunters, trappers, traders and soldiers who were to bind our national domain, that great empire that lies between the Mississippi and the Pacific, by stronger ties than treaties and laws.

"The Missourian has been the pioneer of the West, leading the westward march of civilization across the American continent.

"The glory of Missouri is not alone in the glory that comes from things done in the past. She lives today in the active, throbbing, eager life of the civilization of the twentieth century. And in that great moral awakening which has swept across the country, creating an increased interest in the exercise of the duties of citizenship, raising the standard of honesty and efficiency in the public service and in the working out of those great problems which, as the product of our complex and commercialized civilization, confront us today, Missouri has also been something of a pioneer."

Labels: , , , ,

January 12, 1909


William Grim's Efforts to Get Be-
hind the Gun Unsuccessful.

William Grim, who thought he might win his way into the navy through the police department by giving himself up as a deserter last Saturday, appeared at the naval recruiting station in the postoffice building yesterday afternoon and wanted to enlist in the regular way.

Lieutenant J. F. Landis, in charge of the station, asked the applicant his age. The man said he was 18.

"Haven't we seen you before?" asked Lieutenant Landis.

"Yes; I am the deserter the police arrested," replied Grim. "I should have been billed straight through to my ship, the Baltimore, but it seems there was some hitch."

Grim was given a short examination at the station and refused admission to the society of Jackies.

"You're blackballed in this organization from having betrayed the sacred trust of your country," laughed a quartermaster as the counterfeit deserter left.

"Oh, that's all right. I'll enlist in the marines at the army recruiting station," said Grim.

Labels: ,

January 11, 1908


Kansas City Republicans Leave for
Jefferson City on Special Train.

It was a shivering crowd of soldiers and citizens which rushed from the street cars to the warmth of the Union depot in Kansas City at midnight last night. They were members of Kansas City's delegation which left on two special trains over the Missouri Pacific at 12:30 and 1 o'clock this morning for Jefferson City to attend the inauguration of Governor Herbert S. Hadley. The special train bearing the Third Regiment, Missouri national guard, pulled out for Jefferson City shortly before 1 o'clock. The special train bearing the Kansas City politicians and friends of Governor Hadley did not leave until after 1 o'clock.

The Kansas City special was made a part of the St. Joseph, Mo., special. In spite of the cold there was plenty of elation in the departure. Brass bands and plenty of enthusiasm made some of the brave travelers who were waiting for trains venture out on the platform right in the face of the blizzard from the north to see the display of the Kansas City political spirit.

But there were many among the Kansas City delegation who are not politicians. Some were business and professional men, friends of Governor Hadley, who wanted to see Kansas City well represented at the inauguration and who wanted to extend friendly greetings to the new governor.

"It has been more than one score years and ten since we Republicans -- " began a St. Joseph, Mo., politician who wanted to make a speech of welcome to the Kansas City delegation as they climbed aboard the special. But he was interrupted with "Save your ammunition until four years hence, when another Republican governor will be elected."

"It's too great a tax on the memory to recall incidents that happened thirty-seven years ago when the only Republican governor we have elected in that period was inaugurated," remonstrated a Kansas City man.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

January 10, 1909


Prisoner in the Holdover Played It
on Police.

Sergeant Harry James left last night for Philadelphia with a deserter from the navy, Archie Ingraham. He was arrested by Patrolman E. C. Welch Thursday afternoon.

"I can always pick out a deserter when they are brought in," Desk Sergeant Charles McVey said several days ago when Patrolman Patrick Boyle said he would like to pick up one. "There is one downstairs now," McVey continued.

The two officers went to the holdover and McVey called to one of the prisoners and asked, "When did you desert?"

"Six weeks ago," the suspected deserter replied.

"Where from?" he was asked.

"Frisco, from the Illinois."

"These deserters cannot get by me," McVey told Boyle. "I can always spot them."

The desk sergeant granted Patrolman Boyle the right to take the prisoner to Philadelphia and turn him over to the government. Yesterday Patrolman Boyle took the deserter to the navy recruiting station to arrange for transportation. An officer in charge of the station looked at the man and then said to him, "You were never in the navy."

"I know it," he answered.

"Why in thunder did you claim to be a deserter?" Patrolman Boyle inquired, as he saw his Eastern visit slipping away from him. The prisoner who was believed to be a deserter said he wanted to join the navy, and thought that the easiest way to do so.

Labels: , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

The Son of Jesse James is Accused of a Train Robbery at Leeds ... Can he get a fair trial in Kansas City?
The Trial of Jesse James, Jr.

>>More KC Books<<

As an Amazon Associate this site may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory