Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

January 27, 1910


Banquet for Dr. Gill, Candidate for
White Sox Berth.

Twenty-one members of the Kansas City chapter, Delta Sigma Delta, the members being students at the Kansas City dental college, gave a banquet last night to Dr. Warren Gill, a faculty member, at the Sexton hotel. In a short time Dr. Gill will leave for California to begin practice with the Chicago White Sox, in which team he is a candidate for first baseman. Dr. Gill is well known in baseball. He was first baseman for Minneapolis last season.

Labels: , , ,

December 24, 1909



Firemen Grope Way to Street as
Third Roar Is Heard and Fire
Raging for Hours, Leaves
Only Ice-Coated Walls.
Fire and Explosion Destroy the Rialto Building.

Flames fed by a broken gas main destroyed the Rialto building at the southwest corner of Grand avenue and Ninth street at 3:30 o'clock yesterday morning. The building was erected in 1887 by Albert Marty, its present owner. The fire started in the basement and raged virtually unchecked for three hours until everything inflammable had been consumed. Nothing remains but the ruined and ice-coated walls. The loss is estimated at $300,000.

The building was one of the few remaining big Kansas City fire traps which are a terror to the fire department. Almost entirely of frame construction inside, it burned like tinder. In the language of Assistant Chief Alex Henderson, "not all the fire companies in Missouri could have stopped it."

The fire was noticed first by J. W. Johnson, a negro janitor, who had for many years been a fixture in the building. Johnson was sitting in one of the offices on the second floor at 3 o'clock in the morning, when he was startled by a rumbling sound like the report of a muffled cannon. He jumped from the chair in which he had been resting after several hours of hard work in policing the building, and bounded down the stairway.

He was confronted by dense smoke, and forgetting everything but that there were several person in the building who were in imminent danger of losing their lives, he bounded up the steps and shouted fire from each landing. In this manner he aroused Dr. J. W. Gaines, Dr. Robert O. Gross, Dr. Emil Thielman, Dr. Oliver F. Jones, Dr. A. Talbot, Dr. B. E. Jordan, Dr. J. B. Jones and Dr. Frank Jones. On the fifth floor Johnson came upon Charles R. Manley, senior physical examiner of the Y. M. C. A., in a semi-conscious condition, the result of striking his head against a post in his efforts to escape while groping his way through the dark, smoke-filled hallways. Johnson himself was beginning to feel the effects of the smoke, but not thinking of his own life in his efforts to save others half carried and dragged Mr. Manley down the stairway and out into the streets to safety. In the meantime, A. E. Perrine, night watchman in the building of McGowan, Small & Morgan, gas grantees, which is the first building south of the Rialto, discovered smoke and noticing the glare of flames which by that time had gained considerable headway in the trunk factory, hastened to a telephone and turned in the alarm.


The fire department soon was on the scene. The fire at first looked to be easy to extinguish. The firemen had the flames smothered, when a terrific explosion, caused by the breaking of a gas main, shot the flames up through the building to the top floors. At the time of this explosion Assistant Chief Alex Henderson and a squad of men were on the first floor of the building. The force of the explosion shook the entire building and as the flames were spreading to all parts of the structure, it was as much as a man's life was worth to stay inside, as another explosion could be expected at any time. While Chief Henderson and his men were extricating themselves from the trap, Captain Pelletier, with several men, were groping their way about in the basement of the Ninth street entrance. In what seemed to be hours, they emerged through the smoke and debris into the street. It was none too soon, as the third explosion occurred a few minutes later and had any of the firemen remained in the building they would have been buried beneath the floors and walls. By this time twenty companies had arrived and were throwing streams of water into the burning building from all sides, but it was of no use. The interior of the building was mostly wood and the outside wall kept the streams from getting to the center of the building, where the fire was worst.

The Rialto was the only old-time building of any consequence on Grand avenue. Albert Marty, the owner, is an active real estate and building man of Kansas City. He purchased the ground in 1886 and in 1887 constructed a five-story building on the corner. In 1889 he purchased forty-eight feet on the south side of the corner lot and the same year erected the south half of the building which burned yesterday morning.

The building was occupied by many prominent physicians and dentists, some of whom have been in the building twenty-five years.

"The number of occupants is in the neighborhood of 100," said Dr. H. D. McQuade, who had offices in the building for many years. "Many of us will be up against it for offices for some time, but I expect to contract for offices on the fifth floor of the Keith & Perry building tomorrow. Many of us received offers from other physicians to share their offices while looking for locations."

VALUED AT $125,000.

The building was valued at $125,000, although at the time of its erection it cost in the neighborhood of $200,000. That was more than twenty years ago. There was $81,500 insurance carried on the structure. The heaviest loser among the occupants was Hugo A. Brecklein, a druggist, occupying the first floor. Mr. Brecklein estimated his loss at $20,000, with $12,000 insurance.

J. H. Langan, son of John P. Langan, a grocer at 4601 Independence avenue, was walking north on Grand avenue yesterday morning when the fire started, and in attempting to awaken some of the men who were sleeping in the offices, he broke the glass in one of the doors, severely cutting his hand. But he saved the life of a man who was sleeping through all the disturbance, and succeeded in helping him to the street.

At least sixty physicians and twenty dentists lost their office furnishings and instruments in the Rialto building fire yesterday. The average loss for each tenant is said to have been about $700, and that only a small part of it was covered by insurance.

For years the Rialto has been the doctors' office building of Kansas City. Many of the most prominent physicians of the city were established there. Owing to the fact that in many buildings dentists and physicians are not allowed to rent offices, because the odors arising form the mixtures of medicines is objected to by other tenants, this building has long been recognized as the headquarters of men engaged in these two professions.


About 1,000 specimens of prehistoric stone implements and two ancient violins were cherished treasures of Dr. A. H. Cordier, which were lost in the Rialto fire. Dr. Cordier occupied room 310, third floor.

A collector of prehistoric implements, Dr. Cordier, on trips to Mexico, Alaska, Ohio, Kentucky, Arkansas and through Missouri, got several thousand specimens, and he had about 1,000 of them on display in his offices. His is a collector of old violins and had two of these instruments, which he prized highly, in his rooms. Another relic which Dr. Cordier lost was the mounted head of a mountain sheep which he shot while on a hunting trip in British Columbia. Dr. Cordier's office had been in the Rialto building eighteen years.


A long distance survey of the Rialto ruins makes it appear that Dr. R. V. Anderson, a dentist, is the only tenant of the burned structure whose effects were not destroyed, and he recalls the fact that once before in a fire in the Rialto building he also was lucky.

Dr. Anderson's office has been in the building nearly eighteen years, ever since he began to practice, and some years ago ago fire broke out beneath his office, and his rooms, enveloped in smoke and flame, seemed doomed. The firemen, however, extinguished the blaze before his effects suffered any serious damage.


At the burning of the Rialto building yesterday morning the firemen were greatly handicapped by dangers from exploding gas, and they were in continual danger of being burned by flame of escaping gas. Had the building been equipped with a Siebens' shut-off gas valve it would have been possible for the firemen the moment they reached the fire to turn off the gas in the entire building and thereby lessen the danger occasioned by the escaping gas. The building code requires the installation of gas shut-off devices on all buildings, but for some reason the ordinance has never been enforced.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

December 21, 1909



Mrs. Wilhelmina Kimberling, Den-
tist Newton's Assistant, in
Critical Condition -- Heavy
Rug Probably Saved Life.

Presence of mind displayed by Mrs. Wilhelmina Kimberling probably saved her life late yesterday afternoon, when a gasoline blow-pipe exploded in the office of Dr. Frank H. Newton, a dentist at 520 Minnesota avenue, Kansas City, Kas., throwing burning gasoline over her clothing and that of Dr. Newton. She ran screaming for aid from the little work room, where the explosion occurred, to the outer office, where she laid down on the heavy floor rug and folded it about her in an effort to check the flames.

Dr. Newton, whose clothing was also afire, raised a window and shouted for help, in the meantime smothering the fire in his clothes. Leslie Channel, a young man who lives in Quindaro, Kas., and his father Samuel Channel, heard the cries and ran upstairs. Mrs. Kimberling's clothing was still burning when they reached her, and Leslie Channel threw his overcoat about her. Dr. Newton, who sleeps in apartments adjoining his offices, carried a heavy comfort from his bed and folded it about her. The folds of the overcoat and comfort smothered the flames, but not until she had been seriously burned.


Drs. J. A. Fulton, W. H. McLeod, E. R. Tenney and J. S. Kline reached the scene of the accident soon afterward. The woman was given emergency treatment, and taken to Bethany hospital where it was said last night her condition was critical. She received severe burns on the arms, chest and legs. Her face was also burned, but the attending physicians said the burns there were superficial.

Both of Dr. Newton's hands were burned, and he also suffered a severe burn on the left leg. He was attended by Dr. Kline.

Mrs. Kimberling for several months has worked in the doctor's office. Her mother lives in Illinois. She has one daughter, Hazel, 5 years old, who lives with friends in Kansas City, Mo. Mrs. Kimberling is 23 years old and lived in apartments in the same building in which the accident occurred.

The gasoline blowpipe, which caused the accident, is used by dentists to melt the gold used in fillings and crowns. Dr. Newton said last night he did not know what caused the explosion, but supposed it was due to a defective connection. The dentist's blowpipe is similar to that used by plumbers for melting solder.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

December 16, 1909


Dr. Campbell, at Banquet, Gives Ad-
vice to Students.

Dr. Dayton Dunbar Campbell of the faculty of the Kansas City Dental college was the guest of honor last night at a banquet at the Hotel Baltimore given by the members of the Delta Sigma Delta fraternity of the college, and as a fitting climax to the event Dr. Campbell gave a little talk on "Dental Don'ts."

Here are some of Dr. Campbell's "dont's" -- "Don't brag about your practice or the size of your fees. Don't gossip with your patients. Don't do any quack advertising. Don't encourage familiarity on the part of your women patients. Don't knock your brother practitioners. Don't talk shop at social gatherings. Don't be untidy."

The banquet was tendered by Dr. Campbell as a token of the esteem in which he is held by the fraternity members. Covers were laid for eighteen.

Labels: , ,

October 12, 1909


Real Estate Man Falls Dead Upon
Inspecting Apartment House
Employes Had Neglected.

Heart disease made acute by worry over the janitor service in an apartment house on West Thirty-fourth street, for which he was the agent, is said to have caused the death of Dr. Ammon Kuns, a real estate man of 805 East Fourteenth street, who expired suddenly in front of the apartments at 6 o'clock last night.

Dr. Kuns, who seven years ago retired from dentistry in order to handle realty, had been suffering from pulmonary trouble for more than a year. He left his home yesterday morning in good spirit and apparently in excellent health, remarking to his wife that he would go to the flat on Thirty-fourth street before supper and see about hiring a new janitor.

"Everyone leaves the rooms in a worse condition than the last," he said. "It is about the only worry I have."

Mrs. Kuns said last night that she had learned that conditions at the apartments were not even as good as her husband had expected when he arrived there. She believed that his dismay at finding that some of his instructions had been neglected caused the undue excitement that hastened his end.

Mr. Kuns was 57 years old. He was born in Illinois, went to Jewell City, Kas., 27 years ago to practice dentistry, and lived there continuously up to seven years ago when he moved to Los Angeles, Cal. Four years ago he came to Kansas City.

Besides the widow, he is survived by four daughters, Mrs. Stella Mayhue, San Francisco; Mrs. Theodore Conley, Los Angeles; Mrs. O. E. White, of Jewell City, and Miss Helen, living at the home.

Kuns was a member of the Odd Fellows, Masonic and Woodmen of the World, local lodges. Funeral arrangements have not been made.

Deputy Coroner Harry Czarlinsky ordered the body sent to the Wagner undertaking rooms.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

September 8, 1909



Kitchen Romance of Ruth Risley
and Otis Pemberton Ruthlessly
Shattered by Father Send-
ing the Girl Away.

A romance that commenced in the visits of the ice man this summer to the home of G. M. Risley, a dentist at 2628 Myrtle avenue, ended yesterday when Ruth Risley, the 17-year-old daughter, eloped with Otis L. Pemberton, 23 years old. The young couple went to Kansas City, Kas., but on account of the youthful appearance of the girl, the marriage license was refused. When Dr. Risley heard the news and located his daughter, he promptly sent her to Butler, Mo., to join her mother.

"It won't do any good," the girl said firmly when she was placed aboard the train. "It won't be much more than six months until I'm 18 and then I can do as I please."

It wasn't exactly love at first sight, for the young man had tramped through the kitchen several times before the daughter of the household realized that he was good looking and that he was more cheerful than the average ice man who grumbled when he had to carry ice to the far end of the ho use. The ice man's visits were sometimes prolonged and in time the young folk began to converse in a friendly manner.


Miss Risley discovered to her satisfaction that the young man talked in a pleasant manner, and was in no way inferior to her classmates at the Manual Training High School.

Evening calls followed and the family began to notice that the well dressed young man who was so attentive bore a striking resemblance to the ice man who came every morning. When the parental storm broke, plans for an elopement were made.

"We can get married in Kansas," was Pemberton's comforting assurance. "Just say that you are 18, and it will be all right."

It wasn't so easy when they faced the man in the recorder's office.

"Yes, I'm 18," said the girl, falteringly.

The man behind the desk grinned in a tantalizing manner and expressed his doubts. Then a lot of questions followed, and in the end Miss Risley admitted she was only near-18. There was nothing to do but return to the Missouri side, which the young couple did.

"Perhaps my mother will help us," said the young man, so they went to his home at 2717 East Fifteenth street. A strange man met them at the gate.


"My name is L. D. Jennings, city detective," explained the stranger. "Sorry that I have to take you to the police station."

It didn't do any good to remonstrate and the would-be elopers accompanied the officer to police headquarters, where they were met by Dr. Risley, who wasn't in an altogether amiable frame of mind.

"You will join your mother at once," he said when he was told that they had not succeeded in tying the wedding knot. "No more of this foolishness."

Labels: , , , , ,

July 24, 1909


Dr. A. S. Kaulbauch, Dentist, Has
Narrow Escape in Office.

Carrying a pressure of 250 pounds to the square inch, a vulcanizer gave way in the work room of Dr. A. S. Kaulbach, a dentist, at Twelfth and Main street, yesterday afternoon. The vulcanizer was wrecked, several sections narrowly missing Dr. Kaulbach. He was splattered with debris from the room, and two windows were blown out.

W. B. Clark, the crossing policeman, was under the impression that an amateur safe cracker was at work, so loud was the noise of the explosion.

Labels: , , , ,

July 7, 1908


Works for Food and Lodging for Him-
self and Dog Until Money
From Home Comes.

When he walked into the Helping Hand institute Saturday afternoon he was leading a bull dog. He was dressed in the latest fashion and his shoes were of patent leather. The clerk thought the visitor was there merely as a spectator and was somewhat astonished when he walked up to the desk, paid his 10 cents for a bed and asked: "Is there any place here that I may keep my dog?"

There was a place in the cellar and the dog was fed and put to bed at regulation time, 9 p. m. Sunday the well dressed man announced that he was "broke" and said he would have to work for what he got thereafter There was no work allowed there on Sunday, of course, but yesterday morning the man was up bright and early ready for manual labor. He was given a job washing windows on the second floor and he did his work well, they say. Twice he left his ladder suddenly and went down stairs. On his third trip interest caused E. T. Brigham, superintendent, to follow him. The man was at the telephone and Mr Brigham heard this:

"Hello, Baltimore hotel, well, has that telegram for Dr. Blank come yet?" Seven times the well dressed man visited the telephone and just at 3:15 p. m. he was rewarded. His telegram was there, he was informed. With a broad smile the man called up the New England National bank. When he finished talking he turned and said:

"Well, I guess I'll go back to the Baltimore now. I am on my way from Billings, Mont., to Galveston, Tex., and got broke here. Knowing no one here I could not ask for credit. I was glad to find a place where I could get my board and room. I'll be glad to pay you now for your trouble."

"You worked, and worked well, for what you got," he was told.

Leading the bull dog the man left the institution yesterday afternoon. The bank informed him that it was too late for him to get his money, but that he could have it this morning. The telegram gave him entree into the Baltimore again, however, and he remained there last night This morning the man, who is a Billings, Mon., dentist, will leave for Galveston.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

June 20, 1908



Forced Her Into Chair and Drilled
Out Gold Crowns and Fillings.
He is Fined $25
in Police court.

A remarkable experience with a dental firm was narrated in police court yesterday by Mrs. L. H. Watkins of 928 Penn stret. Her story was told in connection with the arrest of Dr. James Farrell, who said he was an operator with the Union Dental Company, 1019 Main street.

According to Mrs. Watkins the firm, some time ago, contracted to fix her teeth for $30, the money to be paid on payments -- the last one to be paid on the day the work was finished. When she went to the office Thursday afternoon to have a bridge set on two teeth she paid Dr. Farrell $5, having previously paid $20.

"He demanded the other $5," said Mrs. Watkins., "As a crown was loose on one tooth and there was other work to be done, I hadn't considered the work on my teeth completed and did not bring the balance."

Mrs. Watkins said the dentist insisted on having all of the money then and there. She told the doctor to call her husband, who was at the bottom of the stairs, and that he would settle the bill. Farrell, however, according to Mrs. Watkins, called in another man, forced her to get into a chair and, with instruments and drills, took out most of the work which had been put in. She said the pain was excruciating. Her mouth was still very sore yesterday.

Farrell admitted taking out two crowns, a saddle plate and a filling or two. He said he was held responsible for the work and must be paid for it. He said Mrs, Watkins consented to have the bridge work taken out. When asked why he didn't call Mr. Watkins, the dentist said he didn't know he was downstairs, and didn't know he would pay the $5 if he was.

Mr. Watkins said he had $30 with him and gladly would have paid the bill twice over rather than have his wife subjected to such treatment. Mrs. Watkins is 50 years old.

Justice Festus O. Miller, sitting for Judge Harry G. Kyle, fined Dr. Farrell only $25. The fine was quickly paid.

Mrs. Watkins said that the firm kept the $0 she had originally paid on the contract. Dr. H. H. Hall, manager of the concern, admitted that the money had been kept, as work to cover that sum had already been done and was left in the woman's mouth. This she denied.

Justice Miller scorned the firm for the manner of treating its patients. He advised that when such cases arise in the future to take the matter to the civil courts. Clif Langsdale, city attorney, said that other complaints had been made against the same firm.

Labels: , , , , ,

July 16, 1907


Joseph Parker Had Three Teeth
Pulled, Then He Collapsed.

Joseph Parker, 45 years old, who lived outside the Argentine city limits, on South First street, died suddenly in the dental chair of Dr. E. W. House, No. 10 Spear avenue, Argentine, at 10 o'clock yesterday forenoon. Heart disease is said to have been the cause.

Parker had been ailing several weeks and was under the care of Dr. C. L. Zugg, his family physician. As he had been troubled with several bad teeth, he was advised to have them taken out.

Three of the teeth had been removed when suddenly Parker straightened out in the chair. Dr. House at first supposed the patient overcome by the cloroform, but it proved to be a fatal attack.

Labels: , , ,

March 27, 1907


Had Been Used on a Farmer to Ease
Aching Tooth

William Miller, a farmer from Stanley, Kas., came to Kansas City yesterday to have a tooth extracted. Before leaving home he said a doctor there gave him several doses of chloral hydreate to deaden the pain. The dentist also used some kind of pain killer, possibly cocaine.

The tooth was pulled about 4 o'clock. At 7 o'clock he was in the saloon of Jack Gallagher, 8 East Fourth street, wh en it was noticed that Miller was bleeding at the mouth. He was also delirious from the effects of the double drugging he had received. Miller was taken to the emergency hospital, where Dr. W. A. Shelton and Dr. J. A. Naylor worked him over for three hours before the hemorrhage was stopped. Miller fought until he wore himself out, as he believed the doctors were trying to do him harm. After he revived he told of the drugs which had been given him.

Labels: , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

The Son of Jesse James is Accused of a Train Robbery at Leeds ... Can he get a fair trial in Kansas City?
The Trial of Jesse James, Jr.

>>More KC Books<<

As an Amazon Associate this site may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory