Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

February 9, 1910


They Feel Music, Floor Carrying
Vibrations to Their Feet.

Deaf and dumb people are "like the rest of us" except that they dwell apart in a world where there is eternal silence. Just because their language is not ours it does not mean that they do not have a good time occasionally, a truism which was demonstrated last night when seventy of them had a genuine masked ball in the A. O. U. W. hall at Ninth street and Michigan avenue.

The few visitors who attended the hop saw exactly what anyone sees at a function of this kind -- men and women gaily disporting themselves in all kinds of ludicrous costumes. There were smiles and laughter, perhaps, even, flirtations. The eyes behind the ashen mask of the clown sparked brightly through the peep holes at the lustrous orbs of the queen of spades or the kilted chorus girl. Only the hands, quick, sentient members that fluttered constantly, telling stories the tongue was intended to convey. Outside of this slight difference it was all that could be expected of a masked ball.

Miss Mary Annett was the funniest girl on the floor. The three judges decided this with a single gesticulation apiece. She was petite and pretty. An outsider would not have said "funny" but "interesting" in describing her.

She was tricked out in a blue gingham union suit of enormous proportions. As she glided easily to the tune of a waltz, her feet answering in some occult fashion the vibration of the music conducted to them by the floor boards, she was often applauded, but never laughed at. Mary got a hand-painted cracker bowl as a trophy.

Mary had two sisters present who rivaled her for grace and dress. They were Elda and Edna Arnett, both older than she and able to talk.

Leslie B. Honien, dressed as Happy Hooligan, was the funniest man. Honien is a printer. He had "pied" his costume. "Pied," by the way, is a technical term meaning "generally mixed up, presumably by accident."

Others who shared in the prizes awarded were C. O. Duffield and Leonora McGinnis. Goldie Marksbury played the piano.

The remarkable thing about the dance was that everyone knew how and followed the music, despite the fact that they were unable to hear a single note. The floor carried the vibrations to their feet.

The dance was a benefit given under the auspices of the Association of the Deaf. The returns, amounting to $60, are to go to the education of the deaf and dumb.

The judges were the Rev. J. Koehler, Charles Minor and Frank Laughlin.

Labels: , , ,

January 8, 1910



Working Girls Would Be At-
tracted From Vicious and
Immoral Resorts.

A free public dance hall for the poor girls of Kansas City, to be built and maintained by the city or by some charitable institution, thinks Dr. I. E. Mathias, chief probation officer of the juvenile court, would be an agency of reform that would do an inestimable amount of good.

"Perhaps I am not orthodox, and maybe this scheme looks somewhat sensational, yet I think that it would do an immense amount of good," said Dr. Mathias yesterday. "Girls will dance, and so will boys. How much better it would be that they should have their good times in a free public hall, where they would be protected from rowdies and immoral young men, than in the public dance halls where there are temptations and immoral surroundings, that work to their downfall."

The probation officer was discussing conditions in Cincinnati, where he and Judge E. E. Porterfield of the juvenile court went last month to attend a national meeting of juvenile court officers.

"This meeting was held in a church that maintained a free dance hall," Dr. Mathias continued. "Everybody is allowed to attend the weekly dances at the church, as long as they conduct themselves properly. There are no toughs and thugs, and the dance is as orderly as any social affair conducted by society people.

"In the ordinary public dance halls of Cincinnati liquor is sold, and the dances usually end in fights or drunken brawls. It was to give the poor girls and young men a chance to attend respectable dances that this church put in a dance hall.

"Many churches have built expensive gymnasiums for the boys. Charitable institutions here as well as in other cities have made ample provisions for the reform of bad boys. But these good people forget about the girls. Perhaps there is a sewing room set aside for them, or a kitchen where they are taught to cook. These things are all right. But how about their good times? The boys have their gymnasiums, their summer camps and their night schools.

"Did it ever occur to you that a girl enjoys a good time the same as a boy? She does not care for gymnasiums, summer camps or the like. The young woman's chief amusement is dancing, but the young men can do things and go places where girls cannot.

"What is left for the poor working girl? She can go to these public places where there is every influence to drag her down, but if she has any pride or self-respect she will prefer to remain at home and do nothing. Of course we do not have the evil surroundings in the public dance halls of Kansas City that the young woman finds in those of the large eastern cities, but here they are not what they should be.

"The city probably could not build a dance hall. The erection of such a building and its maintenance would be more in the province of the charitable institutions or churches. I think one or more of them in Kansas City would do much to better the conditions of the poor working girl, even more than some of the other philanthropic ideas that have been advanced in the uplift of the poor young men and women of this city."

Labels: , , ,

January 2, 1910


Westport Pioneers Surrender Their
Party to Young People.

A few old-timers of Westport watched a great many new-timers make merry in Little's hall, 311 Westport avenue, last night. As the affair was originally planned, the old settlers were to be the whole show, but so few of them attended that they were submerged in the swirl of young pleasure seekers, and they appeared quite content to sit along the wall and watch the nimbler heels knock off the score.

The Westport Improvement Association was the host. The three old-timers present, not including John Tobin, who was born there -- but not last night -- were Philip Becker, August Horn and Julius Beaver. These three old gentlemen would not be prevailed upon to do more than walk around the hall at the head of the grand march.

Alderman Darius Brown was an active figure on the dancing floor. John Tobin also ran. More than 250 people attended the dance.

Labels: , ,

November 25, 1909


As Many as 1,500 Couples Dance at
Once at Ball.

Over $5,000 was raised for the Fireman's pension fund at the Firemen's annual ball in Convention hall last night, which was attended by nearly 6,000 people. The actual ticket sales amounted to over $5,600, and the checking stands furnished considerable additional revenue. This fund is in charge of a committee of firemen, and is disbursed under their direction to provide for the firemen's families in cases of sickness and death.

The grand march, led by Chief John Egner and Mrs. Egner, started at 9 o'clock. From then until the early morning the dancing continued, there being twenty-four numbers on the programme. As many as 1,500 couples were on the floor at one time. Deveny's orchestra of twenty pieces furnished the music.

Labels: , , ,

October 6, 1909


Apaches Exhibiting at Electric Park
Take in the Thrillers.

Not even the stolidity of an Apache Indian could withstand the whoop-compelling thrills of the scenic railway, dip coaster and tickler at Electric park last night. At the invitation of the management the thirty aborigines from the Dulce reservation in New Mexico, exhibiting at the Missouri Valley fair and exposition, took a chance on, in and through the various concessions.

The tickler didn't take their breath. Quite the contrary. Their lung power was in no way impaired. Tubful after tubful of the original Americans rolled down the course through the winding alleys on the polished incline. Their yells were a menace to every eardrum within several blocks.

Mr. Heim treated the Apaches to every thrill to be experienced in his big collection of amusements. To show their appreciation or to open a safety valve as an outlet for some of their pent-up exuberance, the Indians in turn treated the management and the crowd to their repertory of snake dance, bear dance, fish dance, lizard dance, and other zoological "hops."

Two of the warriors have records. Washington, who is 97 years old, was a scout with Kit Carson, and Julian, 93 years old, fought with Geronimo. A week ago in Pueblo, Col., Peafalo, one of the young braves, married Juanita, a young woman of the party. She is a daughter of one of the warriors named Alaska.

Labels: , , , ,

September 26, 1909


East Side Place of Amusement Opens
for the Season.

The Hippodrome, at Twelfth and Charlotte streets, opened for the season last night and nearly 5,000 persons attended, the roller skating rink and the dance hall, both remodeled and redecorated, drawing the most patronage. Last night's visitors saw a brand new Hippodrome. There was a greater floor space, better illumination and a bigger variety of attractions than ever before. The new ball room, which has been latticed and banked with satin roses and artificial shrubbery, aroused the admiration of the Hippodrome dancers.

Last night's visitors found plenty outside the dance hall and the skating rink to interest them. There was the Vienna garden, a new permanent feature, which seems destined to meet with favor. Free continuous vaudeville is offered in the Vienna village, which is laid with tanbark and inclosed by lattice work. Elston's dog and pony show was another new attraction that offered many novelties.

The Great La Salle, one of the most daring of roller skate experts, was the big arena attraction last night. La Salle makes a thrilling descent on a 60 per cent incline from the roof of the Hippodrome, and his exhibition belongs in the division of hair raisers.

Numerous concessions along the Hippodrome "Boardwalk" offer plenty of diversion. The place will open this afternoon at 2 o'clock and the performance will be continuous until midnight.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

August 30, 1909


At Night Park Is Lighted With
10,000 Lanterns.

An elaborate display of Japanese lanterns is to be seen this week at Forest park. Nearly 10,000 of these vari-colored transparencies are distributed over the park, and when illuminated at night make an imposing sight.

Owing to the cool weather the ballroom was the objective point yesterday. There is an entire change in the vaudeville bill.

A pleasing and difficult act is that of the Kaichi Japanese troupe of acrobats. "The Climax" is performed by Mlle. Gertrude La Morrow, who not only dances but sings as well. Elliotte an d Le Roy, in a comedy sketch, are amusing.

Tonight is souvenir night for the women at the carnival.

Labels: , , , ,

July 5, 1909



Alone, Clara Amberson and Her
Sister Fought a Losing Fight
With Murderer -- Girl Dies
After Four Hours.
Alfred Howard, Who Shot Miss Clara Amberson and Took His Own Life.

Miss Clara Amberson, who was shot in the right temple by Alfred Howard, a rejected suitor, in the dining room of her home, 735 Kensington avenue, just before midnight Saturday, died at 4:20 a. m. yesterday. She did not regain consciousness.

In an unlighted room, and deserted by the young men who escorted them home, and who fled when Howard appeared with his revolver, Miss Amberson, assisted by her sister, Mrs. Mamie Barringer, battled in vain with Howard for possession of the weapon. Finally throwing Miss Amberson to the floor, Howard jumped on her, and then, as Mrs. Barringer seized him about the neck, he pulled the trigger.

The bullet struck Miss Amberson just back of the right temple and she collapsed. Believing that he had killed her, Howard turned the weapon on himself and sent the second shot through his own brain, and fell lifeless beside her. Surrounded by her mother, sister and friends, sthe wounded girl passed away four hours later.

In the light of subsequent events, it is believed that Howard contemplated the murder and suicide Saturday afternoon. It is known that he saw the young women at Forest park in the evening in company with young men, when he had been denied the privilege of escorting them or even calling at their home, and it is believed that the sight of the girl who was all the world to him, encircled in the arms of another man on the dancing floor, maddened him.

Four years ago Alfred Howard, then 22 years old, came to Kansas City from Iola, Kas. He secured a position in a railroad freight office, and roomed and boarded with Mrs. Anna Amberson, mother of the girl he killed. Miss Amberson was then a child of 13.


They were together a great deal. Howard assisted her with her studies, and when she was graduated from high school last year he declared his love for her, and asked her to be his wife. This was objected to by her sister and her mother because of her youth.

Six months ago Howard left their house, and shortly afterward went to Hot Springs, Ark. In the meantime Miss Amberson entered a wholesale millinery establishment and was rapidly perfecting herself in that line when he returned three weeks ago.

Howard had been in poor health since his return, but this did not deter him from declaring his ardent love for the girl whom, he told his friends, no other could replace. Miss Amberson found many excuses for not making engagements. Thursday he called her on the telephone and to his several requests for an evening she replied that she had previous engagements.

Saturday evening he called at the Amberson home and asked Miss Amberson to accompany him to a park or that she spend the evening with him as she chose. Miss Amerson smilingly told him that she had an engagement for the evening and that she was sorry. During the conversation he showed the sisters the revolver which he later used. No thought of violence crossed the minds of either girl.


Miss Amberson and Mrs. Barringer were unaccompanied when they walked to Forest park, a short distance from their home. There they met several friends, among them Orville Remmick of 5212 Independence avenue, and Ed Doerefull of 4621 East Seventh street.

It is believed that Howard shadowed the sisters to the park. H e arrived at the Ambrose home shortly before 10 o'clock in the evening. The noise he made when he withdrew a screen from a window in the kitchen of the Amberson home and clambered in was heard by Mr. and Mrs. Joe Wharton, roomers on the second floor, but they ascribed it to a parrot. For almost two hours Howard lay in wait. He chose as his hiding place the bedroom of the sisters, which opens from the dining room to the north.

On their way home, Deorfull, who escorted Miss Amberson, and Remmick, who escorted Mrs. Barringer, suggested that they eat some ice cream. They stopped at the Forest Park pharmacy and chatted for a few moments with O. Chaney, the druggist.


It was warm and the young men carried their coats over their arms. When they arrived at the Amberson home, they conversed for a few moments on the porch just outside the dining room, when the suggestion that they get a drink of water was made. the quartet entered the dining room. Miss Amberson and Doerfull going to one window seat while Mr. Remmick took a chair. Mrs. Barringer went into the kitchen for the water, when suddenly Howard sprang out of the bedroom.

Holding a revolver which he pointed at Miss Amberson, he cried:

"Throw up your hands and don't scream!"

"It's Alf! Help!" cried Miss Amberson.

Doerfull was first to see the revolver and the first to get out of the room. He was closely followed by Remmick. Both left their coats and hats. The cry for help brought Mrs. Barringer back to the room. By this time Miss Amberson had grappled with Howard and had clutched the revolver. Then began the battle for possession of the weapon and the shooting.


Screaming for help, Mrs. Barringer, after the shooting, fled to the sidewalk. Neighbors hastened to the scene. Doctors declared Miss Amberson fatally wounded, and said that Howard's self-inflicted wound had caused instant death.

The police who searched his clothing found the note which he had evidently written some time during the evening in which he declared that "Mamie" (Mrs. Barringer) was the cause of the anticipated double tragedy, and asked that Miss Clara and he be buried side by side.


Ed Doerfull, the escort of Miss Amberson, told a reporter for The Journal last evening that he had never been frightened as badly in his life as he was when he looked at that shiny steel barrel and heard the command to throw up his hands.

"I didn't wait to learn any more about who the fellow with the revolver was," said Mr. Doerfull. "Mr. Remmick and I had escorted the girls home and stepped inside the house to get a drink of water. I was close to the door and when I heard the command to throw up my hands and I saw that shiny steel barrel of the revolver, I concluded that I had better play checkers and move.

"I did not stop to grab my coat or hat, but ran. I don't know how I got home, for I was badly frightened. I lay awake all night and got up around 6 o'clock and went over to Remmick's house to see if he got home all right.

"I did not know until then that anyone had been shot, as I was too far away from the house when the shots were fired to hear the noise of the reports.

"I don't know why I ran away and did not notify the police about the man with the gun, but I guess most anybody would act the same as I did if they looked into the business end of a revolver and were ordered to throw up their hands.


"I got my coat and hat this morning at the same time Mr. Remmick got his. We saw Miss Amberson's body then and we will probably go to the funeral together.

"I did not know the young lady very well, having only met her a few times at the park. I did not go back to the house today, as I had an engagement to go to a picnic at Swope park, and it was too late when I got back this evening."

Orville Remmick, who was with Doerfull when Howard entered the room with the revolver in hand, told his parents that he was taken by surprise, and that when he heard the command to throw up his hands and he saw the revolver, his first thought was for his personal safety. He said that he ran for the door and ran home.


Half a block away he heard the muffled reports, and when he got home he telephoned to the Amberson home and learned of the double tragedy. He feared for a while, he said, that his companion, Doerfull, had been shot. Remmick left his coat and hat at the Amberson home and called for them yesterday morning. He spent yesterday afternoon at Forest park and yesterday evening at Electrick park.

Miss Amberson was 17 years old. She was the youngest of three children. Besides her sister, Mrs. Barringer, and her mother, she leaves a brother, Will, who is in the navy. An effort was being made yesterday to notify him by wire and hold the funeral until his arrival, if possible. The Ambersons came to Kansas City from Salida, Col., six years ago.

Howard had been rooming for the last two weeks at the home of Mrs. Ellen Harper, at No. 801 Cypress avenue, just a block from the Amberson home. That he planned the murder and suicide is believed by Mrs. Harper, as his trunk was locked and contained all of the small articles which he kept about his room.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

June 14, 1909


It Is the Top Liner of Fun at
Forest Park.

Families with their baskets occupied the benches and tables under the trees on the lawn of Forest park yesterday and it was a gala day for the children.

The Old Maids' convention opened their regular sessions and soon got down to business. It is not a beauty show, to say the least. To call it such would be going from the sublime to the ridiculous, but their parody sessions on woman's rights and other subjects pertaining to woman, perhaps, furnishes the visitor with more genuine fun than most musical comedies. The idea is truly original, if nothing more. the convention hall was crowded all day and the Salome dance was a scream, being so different from the Gerturde Hoffman dance as to make it ridiculous.

For the first time there this season free vaudeville and new motion pictures were introduced. Quite a novel act was presented by Chris Christopher, a singer of German songs and a trick violinist. The Gee-Jays, the human marionettes, closed the bill. Two reels of motion pictures were also on the bill. The big new attraction is the exciting ride device known as the Humble Peter. It is built on the order of the tickler, only less jolting is the experience.

The entries for the aquatic sports on Wednesday are coming in fast and a large number of contestants competed for the prizes.

Labels: , , , , , ,

May 19, 1909


Unique Feature of Loretta Acade-
my's May Day Festival.

There will be a real live Russian count in charge of the serving of Russian tea in the Japanese booth this afternoon at the May Day festival at the Loretta academy, which is to be given by the alumnae of the school. The festivities will begin at 3 and will be opened with a May pole dance given by the youngest scholars in the academy.

From the minute the dance is in progress until 8 o'clock this evening there will be something doing for the entertainment of the alumnae and also for the undergraduates. Four May pole dances will be given, two by the little ones and two by the girls in the upper classes. An orchestra will furnish the music and the various booths, in charge of a chaperon and attended by numerous pretty girls, will be some of the other attractions.

The women in charge of the entertainment are very proud of the fact that a Russian count, who is in the city, has kindly volunteered to present and assist in the serving of Russian tea. The tea is to be brewed in a samovar and the presence of Count Rolanskyvitch of St. Petersburg will add a tinge of realism to the booth. He will be introduced by Jacob Billikopf.

The various booths will be the Dutch, Colonial, Candy, Magic Well, Wayside Inn, Japanese, Handkerchief, the Married booth and the one presided over by three of the prettiest girls recently graduated and who will tell fortunes of all comers. The candy booth will be conducted by the girls of 1909 and the girls of the class of 1911 will rule over the Magic Well.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

April 29, 1909


Governor's Staff at Mansion Hop in
Honor of Colonel Andrae.

JEFFERSON CITY, April 28. -- Governor Herbert S. Hadley tonight gave a dance in honor of Colonel Henry Andrae, warden of the state penitentiary and a member of the governor's staff,, who is to be married tomorrow to Miss Gussie Neff.

For the event the governor invited all the members of his official staff, and about twenty of them reported in full regimentals. None made a braver showing than Colonel E. S. Jewett of Kansas City, who was in full uniform, and smothered in gold lace.

Labels: , , , , , ,

March 5, 1909



Still, He Likes Good Shows and
Came All Way From Independ-
ence to See Booth
and Barrett.

Not because her clothes are scanty,
Nor because the beads fit tight;
But because her steps are naughty
Salome must not dance tonight.

Gertrude Hoffman may dance at the Shubert or anywhere else, but it must not be a la Salome.

She may sing unrestricted, except as for "I Don't Care."

She may wear what she pleases.

Against the two first named features of her performance in the "Mimic World" Judge James H. Slover of the circuit court yesterday granted a temporary injunction, and it is thereby made unlawful for Miss Hoffman to present the dance or sing the song in public so long as she is in Jackson county.

"Obnoxious to public morals" and "replete with immoral suggestions" are some of the phrases which occur in the opinion of Judge Slover. Special notice is taken of the use of the head of John the Baptist, which, with the Salome dance, is classed as "revolting, debasing and debauching."

In the main, Judge Slover bases his authority to act on the Spanish bull fight case in St. Louis, which was stopped by the courts on the grounds that it shocked the moral sense of the community. The opinion in its entirety follows:


This proceeding by the attorney general of the state of Missouri is to suppress a part of a performance now on the boards of the Shubert theater in Kansas City, Mo., known as the "Mimic World," and is especially directed against the song, "I Don't Care," and the "Salome" dance. The Shubert people claim that the court has no jurisdiction to interfere by injunction, but if the court should determine that it has jurisdiction, then the play itself is not obnoxious to public morals, but is a highly artistic performance.

As to the jurisdiction of the court, the case of the Spanish bull fight in St. Louis, reported in the 207th supreme court decisions, is sufficient warrant for the court to entertain this case.

As to the performance itself, it may be said, generally speaking, that any public exhibition that at first blush shocks the average intelligence of a community is harmful and demoralizing and should receive the condemnation of the courts. In the Canty case (supra) the supreme court said that a public exhibition of any kind that tends to the corruption of morals is a public nuisance and should be oppressed.


The evidence in this case shows that the "don't care" song and the Salome dance are obnoxious to the public morals and an offense against the better instincts of mankind and ought not to be tolerated in a Christian community. The song is replete with lewd and immoral suggestions and the Salome dance, in which an imitation head of Saint John the Baptist is tossed about, is simply revolting and so debasing in its character and debauching in its influence on public morals as to constitute a public nuisance which a court of equity has jurisdiction to and should suppress.

Upon the evidence in the case and the authority of the Canty case a temporary injunction will be granted in favor of the relator, but modifying in some respects the restraining order, which may be agreed to by counsel in the case, otherwise to be settled by the court.


At that, Judge Slover is a friend of the theater. He goes when there is a good show. Said he yesterday, after handing down the opinion:

"When Edwin Forrest played at the Coates opera house in the '70s, Mrs. Slover and I drove a mile to the railroad station in Independence. We took the train to Kansas City and attended the performance. Returning, the train was due to leave at 2 a. m., but it was 3 o'clock before it appeared. It was 4 when we got home. Besides, there was a snowstorm that night. That shows I am willing to make a sacrifice even to see a good play.

"Again, when Booth and Barrett opened the Warder Grand, now the Auditorium, Mrs. Slover and myself drove in from Independence and back to see the play. There was no roof on the theater when it was thrown open to the public. That was about fifteen years ago."

As no objection is made to the spring song nor to the costume worn by the Shubert dancer, her managers may, with perfect security from the courts, put her on the stage in the same costume and let her sing this song or any other one. Also she may do any dance except the Salome.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

March 3, 1909



"Those Who Believe It Not Right
Can Stay at Home" -- Failure
to Demonstrate Disap-
points Court Crowd.


"Will I stop the Salome dance?" Robert L. Gregory, acting mayor, repeated as he held the telephone receiver to his early yesterday afternoon. His answer was a decided "No."

When he was finished speaking over the telephone the acting mayor turned to the members of the board of public works, with whom he was meeting, and said, "Now what do you think of that? That fellow wanted to know if I, as acting mayor, would clamp the lid on that dance if the court refused the injunction. If Gertie wants to dance with a little lace wrapped around her she is welcome to, and the police won't interfere. Those who believe it is not right can stay at home while those who do can plunk down their money and take a front seat for all I care. Why should I stop a Salome dance or an y old kind of a dance?"


Disappointment sat deep on every face, and there was not an "I don't care" expression in the crowd which went to the court house yesterday to see Gertrude Hoffman do a stunt with a string of beads. Gertrude, you know, does the Salome dance in "The Mimic World" at the Shubert theater, or rather, she did until the courts stopped her Monday night.

The restraining order granted at that time was made returnable yesterday, and large was the crowd that came to see and hear. Judge James H. Slover, in whose division the case fell, heard affidavits and speeches and more speeches, and then said he would decide today whether to make the restraining order permanent or dissolve it. Meanwhile, of course, Salome will not dance.

All hands had expected to see, as evidence, the whole dance as performed at the theater. But the dancer did not come, only lawyers.

COSTS $6,000 A WEEK.

"It costs $80,000 to create this show, and the weekly expense roll is $6,000," said Clyde Taylor, appearing on behalf of the theater. So maybe it was too expensive to have Miss Hoffman.

"To stop this dance, which is strictly a moral affair," continued Mr. Taylor, "would entail large financial loss. If the show was not clean, it would never have been put on the boards and have received favorable comment everywhere."

On behalf of those who secured the restraining order, John T. Harding, Ellison Neel and H. M. Beardsley spoke. Affidavits made by George E. Bowling, Nathanial Dickey and D. A. Trimble were read. These men had been appointed by the Independence Avenue Methodist Episcopal church to make a report to the court. In substance they said the dance was immoral and demoralizing to the mind of the spectator. Photographs were taken of posters put up by the show also were introduced as evidence.


Mrs. E. D. Hornbrook said she saw the dance in New York, and thought it not proper. She had made up her mind, she said, to try to suppress it if it came to Kansas City. She had not seen the dance at the Shubert. William D. Latham of the board of trade disapproved of the dance, as did also Omar Robinson, a lawyer, and I. B. Hook and others. A painting of Maud Allan as Salome, to give the court an idea of how the Hoffman dance is said to be carried on, was also introduced.

Dr. George L. A. Hamilton, for the defendants, said the dance was art, and could not be objected to. John B. Reynolds, manager of the company, was represented by an affidavit giving the expenses of the show.

Also there was a statement from Miss Hoffman herself. The dances she employs, she said, were copied from those of the Far East, and patterned after the Oriental idea of grace. She said it was in no sense a "hootchie-kootchie," as some of the objectors had said.

Then there was a great deal of oratory, and the case, known officially as the state of Missouri, at the relation of Elliot W. Major, attorney general, against Earl Steard and others, went over until today. Judge Slover did not say that he had been at the Shubert. He goes to the theater infrequently.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

March 2, 1909





Injunction to Be Heard in Judge
Porterfield's Court Tomorrow.
"I, Too, Am a Christian,"
Says Miss Hoffman.
Gertrude Hoffman, Salome Dancer

Gertrude Hoffman did not give the Salome dance at the Shubert theater last night because a court order commanded her not to do so.

In the "Spring Song "Gertrude, who goes bare-footed and bare ankled and almost bare-kneed in this number, wore fleshlings, and on her classic feet she wore soft shoes because the court order commanded it.

A temporary restraining order, made by Judge E. E. Porterfield of the circuit court late yesterday afternoon and returnable tomorrow morning at 9 o'clock, scored first blood for those who are fighting the presentation of the semi-nude dance in Kansas City.

Miss Hoffman was served with the order while she was in her room at the Coates house. The order was also served on Earl Steward, manager of the Shubert, J. J. Shubert and Lee Shubert being included in the list of defendants.

Miss Hoffman went to the Shubert last night determined to do her dance. She was mad and excited. It was decided to eliminate the "Salome" dance, but as the court order made no mention directly of the Spring Song number, that dance was given.

"What kind of a town is this?" said Miss Hoffman, as she retired to her dressing room after the conclusion of her act.

One could still hear the applause coming from the auditorium of the theater.

"Do you hear that?" she said. "Did you see that audience? Did you see any people with low brows in that audience? Do they look coarse, unrefined, ill bred? No, certainly they don't.

"What does the so-called religious element of Kansas City think I am doing over here? Do they think I get out on the stage and wriggle? Do they think the audience giggles?

"I have given my dances all over the Eastern section of the United States. I played in the leading cities of New England where the Puritans came from and where their descendants live and thrive and still preach purity.

"Intellectual audiences, audiences of brain and a taste for art saw my dances. I played to an audience made up entirely of Harvard men while in Boston. I played to an audience made up almost entirely of Yale men when we played in New Haven. When we played in Springfield, Mass., more than half of the audience was composed of girls attending Smith college. They came over thirty miles to see my performance. They represented some of the richest, most intellectual families of the United States. They didn't blush. They had nothing to blush for. They applauded.

"Who are these people who rant about something they have never seen? They are hypocrites, to begin with. Why do they seize on this performance, when they have ignored other theatrical performances which might have given them some excuse for going to court?

"If these people object to my dance why don't they go to your art academies and tear down the nudes. Why don't they close up the art academies and prevent nude women from posing for nude pictures? Why don't they?

"That's art, they will say, if they have intelligence. So it is. And this dance I give is art, classic art.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

February 23, 1909


Washington's Birthday Celebration a
Success, as Usual.

Senior Elks took back seats in favor of their little Elklets at the club house yesterday afternoon, when the annual children's party, in celebration of Washington's birthday, was given. Hundreds of the youngsters came, and some of the mothers were there, too.

The programme opened with the singing of "The Star Spangled Banner." Dr. C. J. Morrow made an address on the life of Washington, and entertainment was added with a Punch and Judy show. Dancing and refreshments ended the party.

Miss Glendora Runyan and Chauncey Bowlus were attired as the grown-up Martha and George Washington, while the junior pair were Miss Fleeta Jagodnigg and Master Charles Sweetman were senior and junior Uncle Sams, respectively.

Dr. C. J. Morrow, Oscar Sachs and Thomas P. Watts made up the committee in charge.

Labels: , , , ,

February 15, 1909


Anniversary Marked by Celebration
in Turner Hall.

The fifty-first anniversary of the Kansas City Social Turnverin was celebrated last night at Turner hall, 1325 East Fifteenth street. A programme of gymnastic events was given under the direction of the instructor, Emil Schwegler. The boys' class did work on the horizontal bars and also were seen in dumb-bell exercises; the girls' class performed some pretty evolutions with Japanese lanterns. H. Matthaei, president of the turnverin, made an address. A flower drill by the ladies' class was a pretty feature. Dancing was the final feature of the programme.

The turnverin began with eight members. Now it has more than 700.

Labels: , , ,

January 12, 1909


Reception at Executive Mansion and
Dancing at Madison House.

JEFFERSON CITY, Jan. 11. -- (Special.) Never before has there been a more brilliant inaugural ball than the one given tonight in honor of Governor Herbert S. Hadley. The crowd at the mansion calling on the Governor and Mrs. Hadley was so great that it was early seen that there would be no room for dancing, so the old dancing room of the Madison house was requisitioned. To this place the guests of the governor and first lady of the state were ushered after they had paid their respects at the official residence.

There was no grand march, the dancing being most in formal. The entire time of the governor was taken up receiving guests at the mansion. The grand old house, admittedly one of the most imposing official residences in the country, was one mass of cut and growing flowers and plants. Musicians occupied a place under the grand staircase, and it was intended to have the ball in the great reception hall and the salons.

The Governor and Mrs. Hadley received in the main hall, but were forced to retire to one of the adjoining rooms to permit dancing, which began shortly before 9 p. m. in the mansion, and by 9:30 in the Madison.

The prevailing intense cold weather caused many to telegraph their congratulations from the large towns and cities, but nevertheless the assembly was large and brilliant.

Labels: , , ,

December 24, 1908


Mrs. Rose Peterson, Who Killed Her
Husband, Expresses No Re-
gret for the Deed.

Instead of enjoying Christmas day as she expected, Mrs. Rose Peterson, who shot and killed her husband, Frederick L. Peterson, early Wednesday morning, will occupy a cell in the county jail. Her husband accused her of going to a theater with a young man Saturday evening, but the 19-year-old widow says she was arranging Christmas presents at her home.

Mrs. Peterson told Captain Walter Whitsett yesterday that she shot her husband because he slapped her. Two weeks ago she said she threatened to shoot her husband when he slapped her at Eighteenth and Cherry streets. Peterson at that time ran.

She said they were married in St. Joseph, March 31, 1907, and that her husband deserted her in November, 1907. After they were married, Mrs. Peterson told Captain Whitsett, her husband compelled her to work, although she wanted to keep house on what he was earning. His income was $13 a week and she earned $7 and paid all of the living expenses out of it. He often slapped and mistreated her and she decided not to ever stand for it again.

Her husband had taken her to a dance at the Eagles ball room Tuesday night, and the two spent a pleasant evening. Going home on the car about midnight, she said her husband quarreled with her and accused her of seeing other men too often. After leaving the car at Eighteenth street and Askew avenue, he slapped her, and Mrs. Peterson said she then drew her revolver and fired five times.

Mrs. Peterson had sued her husband for divorce, and yesterday she told the police that she had paid her attorney $18 toward his fee.

She sat in the matron's room yesterday and refused to talk about her act, except to Captain Whitsett. With him she was defiant in her answers and declared that she would again shoot any man that slapped her.

She was taken to Justice James. B. Shoemaker's court at 5 o'clock yesterday afternoon for arraignment, but the justice had gone. She will be arraigned this morning.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

July 24, 1908


As It's Presented in North End Halls
It Shocks Moral Guardians.
"Cut It Out," They Say.

Whew! The police object to the popular barn dance and have put the ban on it in Kansas City. They do not consider it up to the moral standard of what should take place in a well regulated ball room. The officers who tightened the lid on the barn dance refused to say what their private opinion of the dance was after having watched an exhibition given for their personal benefit.
Acting under orders from Captain Walter Whitsett, two plain clothes men, Ben Goode and John McCall, went to a hall in Campbell street last Wednesday evening and informed the members of a dancing party there that they would not be allowed to dance the barn dance. The merry young people strenuously objected to police interference, and the officers were the recipients of all kinds of dire threats.
A party of the young people pleaded that the dance was "perfectly" proper and "lovely," and went through one turn of the hall to show the officers really what the barn dance was. The hard-hearted officers, however, remembered that stern duty called to them and refused to allow the pleading of the pretty young misses to sidetrack them from their duty.
Not to be outdone by the big captain in regulating the social events and amusements of the city, Sergeant Patrick Clark, also commanding the North End social pink teas, sent Sergeant E. McNamara to the hall and had the lights turned out. The people residing in the vicinity of the hall complained to the police that they were unable to sleep whenever the hall was used for dances. The music was too loud for the sleepers and the shrill laughs and giggles of the young ladies got on the nerves of the men who were compelled to stay at home with their wives and take care of the fretful babies.
Whether the hall will be opened for dancing in the future the police refused to say, but they were confident that the barn dance would not be danced there again.

Labels: , , ,

May 22, 1908


Fireman Says He Can't Dance in
Time With It.

"I used to go to all the dances, but I can't hit a lick with my game leg. The last dance I attended was in Lamar in the winter of 1907. I was so awkward that I couldn't get a partner. So I quit for good."

J. B. McQuillen told this to a jury in Judge E. E. Porterfield's division of the circuit court yesterday afternoon. McQuillen was a locomotive fireman for the Kansas City Southern until February 24, 1906, when his hip was crushed while he was at work. He is suing for $10,000.

Labels: , , , , ,

May 11, 1908


Will Report Their Observations to the
Grand Jury.

Names of employees connected with pay attractions at Forest and Fairmount parks were taken yesterday by the county marshal's men and will be given to the Wallace grand jury when it meets this week.

Al Heslip personally visited Fairmount park and saw men and women dancing and gliding on roller skates. Also he witnessed a man selling tickets to the Angora goat farm and the lake.

"If the jury thinks it is wicked to use roller skates and witness a dog show downtown on Sunday," the marshal argued, "it will believe it equally unlawful to skate, ride in a boat or watch the goats on a Sunday in the park." So the marshal put down all the keepers' names.

Deputies Joseph Stewart and Henry Miller made out a complete list of men they caught working and playing at Forest park.

The blue Sunday downtown was brightened a bit by the reopening of the Shubert theater.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

February 21, 1908


Ararat Temple Holds Reception for
Judge E. E. Porterfield.

A reception in honor of E. E. Porterfield, the newly elected illustrious potentate, and his divan was given at the Coates house last night by ararat Temple of the Mystic Shrine. There was dancing and music by a male quartette.

Labels: , , , ,

January 25, 1908


Policeman Malloy Objected to Testi-
mony Before Judge Kyle.

James Malloy, a special policeman, yesterday attacked Clinton Wilson, manager of the Majestic theater, in the lobby of the playhouse, striking Wilson with his club. Maloy had complained about a dance given by some of the women in Wilson's theater. Wilson was in police court yesterday, but Malloy did not appear to prosecute and the case was dismissed.

Malloy objected to the testimony given by Wilson, as reported in an evening newspaper, and the assault on the manager followed. Charges have been preferred against Malloy and Manager Wilson will ask his dismissal from the force.

Labels: , , ,

January 1, 1908



Came Here a Penniless Song and
Dance Man With Eddie Foy,
and Made Half a Mil-
lion Dollars.

Henry D. Clark, famous as the creator of the old Coliseum which he conducted throughout Kansas City's frontier days, died last night at his residence, 3300 Broadway. He had been ill for three weeks and succumbed to acute gastritis and bronchial pneumonia following grip. The phenomenal will power of the man enabled him to rise from his bed against the advice of his physician and family as late as Sunday, when he shaved himself and went about as he wished.

Mr. Clark was one of the youngest soldiers in the civil war. He enlisted in the New York heavy artillery when only 13 years 6 months old, and served throughout the war. New York was his birthplace, but he went in childhood to Wisconsin. Starting in a theatrical career in Chicago after the war, he came to Kansas City to locate in 1877.

He was the most picturesque and amazingly progressive theater manager Kansas City ever had. He came here moneyless, "opened" in a cellar and amassed over a half million dollars. Then he retired. That was ten years ago, after he had discovered that the things he knew about running a frontier place of amusement did not suit the public when taken out of the original setting and sold to them at uptown prices in a regular theater.

But the most Kansas City ever knew of Clark was far back of his retirement. It was thirty years ago when he first appeared here. He was a young man then and had been doing a song and dance with Eddie Foy. His working partner called herself Zoe Clark. She was the more thrifty of the two and decided that Kansas City would be a good place to open a theater. Clark's father lived here then and drove a one-horse job wagon. The elder Clark was not up on theatricals, but he was willing to help his son get into business.

So the old gentleman rented a cellar in Fourth street for Henry and Zoe and bought them a keg of beer. Business was good in the cellar, and Clark built the Coliseum at the corner of Third and Walnut streets with the receipts. The only "legitimate" shows "making" Kansas City in those days played in a hall over the present site of Arnold's drug store at Fifth and Walnut streets.

The Coliseum was a money-making venture too, and Clark soon quit "doing a turn" himself. Zoe started a boarding house to take care of the actors and actresses who played the Coliseum. And then came to Kansas City the embryo of advanced vaudeville. The Coliseum attracted the best variety performers in the West and Eddie Foy. McIntyre and Heath, Murray and Mack and scores of others played long engagements there.

And the best of all these performers were then destined to be plunged into the legitimate sooner or later. Clark realized this and built the old Ninth street theater. It burned and he rebuilt it, but he could never make it a financial success and he leased the property and during the last ten years he called at the theater at 10 o'clock on the morning of the second day of each month, rain or shine, to get the rent. It was the only time he was ever seen about the place.

Surviving Mr. Clark are the widow and five children. They are: H. D. Clark, Jr., and Palmer Clark, druggist and dry goods merchant respectively at Genessee and Thirty-Ninth streets; Miss Hazel Clark, Willie Clark and Mrs. J. B. Shinn of Seattle, Wash.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

December 25, 1907


So Somebody Stuck a Knife in Mc-
Donald at a Dance.

Machinists' apprentices were dancing downstairs and members of the Au Fait Club upstairs at Colonial hall, Eighth and Oak streets, last night. Some way the two crusts of society lapped over about midnight and a row resulted. In the noisy bustle which ensued the upper crust was about to be broken when someone came downstairs with a billiard cue.

Roy McGee, a member of the apprentice floor committee, wore a badge that looked like the banner of the horse shoer's union in a labor day parade. He was a fair mark and he got it, right on the top of the head.

Another apprentice, resenting this ungentlemanly breach of journeyman machinists' rules governing the settlement of personal differences at Christmas balls, jerked a knife from his small change receptacle and jabbed it into the shoulder of George McDonald, who was, and unquestionable is, au fait, but on this occasion, in spite of his accomplishments, de trop.

Interference of disengaged members of the two clubs prevented further hostilities, and the police came. McGee, Joseph Russell and McDonald were taken to Central police station, where McDonald's wound was dressed in the emergency hospital. His hurt is not serious. Russell and McGee were held for trial in police court.

Labels: , , , ,

December 16, 1907


Variety Actress Refuses Out of Prin-
ciple, and Not Fear.

There is one performer at a local theater this week who will not be indicted by the Wallace grand jury. She is Miss Pudge Catto, of the team of Catto and Heath, at the Century. Miss Frankie Heath went on with her singing and dancing set yesterday afternoon and when Manager Donegan inquired why Mis Catto did not appear he was informed that that young woman never works on Sunday.

"My folks opposed a stage career," the performer told Manager Donegan, "and I had to promise before I left home that I would never appear at a Sunday performance."

Miss Catto, not being around the theater, did not know she would be indicted by the grand jury if she "worked." I was a matter of principle with her. Miss Catto's parents live in Bath, Me., and are old-school Presbyterians. She is 19 years of age, and handsome.

Labels: ,

August 5, 1907



Second Man Who Took Swallow of
the Poison Will Recover -- Dead
Man Leaves a Widow and
Seven Children.

Two pint bottles of the same shape, one containing whisky and the other carbolic acid, caused the death of James F. Beckett in Sheffield early yesterday morning. The bottle of whisky was put into a wagon bed which also contained a bottle formerly used for whisky filled with carbolic acid. John Eveland, another laborer, who put the whisky into the wagon bed, also drank of the acid, but he will recover.

John Thomas gave a dancing party Saturday night at his home in Sheffield. About forty men and women were present, and at midnight the dancers decided to continue the party indefinitely until morning.

Beckett had been invited, and after he arrived he was prevailed upon to furnish the music. He sat in the parlor, and from 8 o'clock until midnight played waltzes and two-steps, and occasionally a tune for the Virginia reel, with scarcely a rest, while the tireless dancers encored him again and again.

About 11 o'clock Eveland, who lives only two blocks from Thomas' house, heard the music and the laughter of the young men and women, and decided to see what was going on. I had been drinking a little," said Eveland yesterday, "and I had a pint bottle of whisky, about half full, in my hip pocket. Thomas invited me to come in and dance. I didn't want to take the liquor with me on account of the women. So I slipped out to the shed back of the house and put the bottle in the bed of a wagon. Then I went in and danced until about midnight.

"When the decided to keep on dancing for an hour or two more, Beckett, who was one of my friends, said he was tired. I told him about the whiskey I had put in the shed, and asked him to go have a drink to brace himself up. We took John Burris, one of the other men with us, and all went out to the shed.

"When we got out there it was dark, and I reached into the wagon bed and got out what I supposed to be the bottle I had put there. It was a regular pint whisky bottle, and seemed to be about half full. I had some trouble getting the cork out. While I was trying to draw it, the women were calling for Beckett to play for another dance.

" 'Hurry up,' cried Beckett. 'I've got to get back to the house. '

" 'Give me the bottle,' said Burris. 'I'll get the cork out with my knife.'

"Burris pulled the cork, and raised the bottle to his lips to take a drink, when they called Beckett from the house again, and Beckett grabbed the bottle quickly. He took two long swallows. Then he ran back to the house, and Burris went with him, without waiting for a drink. I then drank a little, and put the bottle back into the wagon."

Eveland says it was about twenty minutes later before the acid pained him, so that he knew he had been poisoned. Beckett, who continued playing for the dancers after taking the acid, began to feel ill about the same time Eveland did.

Dr. R. Callaghan was sent for, and treated both men. Beckett died about 1:30 o'clock. The whisky which Eveland had drunk before he came to the dance saved his life. The reason Beckett did not feel the effect of the aid sooner is believed also to be due to whisky before he went to the shed. The whisky is thought to have counteracted the effects of the acid to a certain extent.

Thomas said yesterday that he always keeps acid in the shed for use as a disinfectant. He keeps horses and hogs there. The bottle was plainly labeled. Had the men struck a match they could not have made the mistake.

James F. Beckett was 39 years old. He lived at 410 Denver avenue, and leaves a widow and seven little children, the youngest being only two months old. The body was taken to Blackman's undertaking rooms in Sheffield, and a coroner's inquest will be held this morning.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

June 20, 1907


Otto Weber's License Is Restored
After a Warning.

The police board yesterday restored the saloon license of Otto Weber, who operates a beer garden at Twelfth and Oak streets. Two weeks ago Weber's license was taken away from him when policemen found him serving beer to fifteen men on Sunday.

Weber declared the men who got beer at his place on Sunday are his regular employes, and that they were working that Sunday afternoon cleaning up his dance hall on the second floor. The board advised Weber to discontinue the dance hall before restoring his beer garden and saloon license.

Labels: , , , , , ,

May 8, 1907


Early Morning Murder on the Inde-
pendence Public Square.

As the result of a quarrel over Fannie May Hughes, to whom both at been attentive, Van Tappen shot Clyde St. Clair at the southwest corner of the public square in Independence at 1:20 o'clock this morning. The bullet went through the forehead and St. Clair died without a word. His body lay on the sidewalk where it had fallen for more than two hours, until the coroner could reach Independence.

Last night there was a dance at the home of the girl's father, J. Melvin Hughes, who lives on a farm four mile northeast of Independence. Both young went. They returned early in the morning and were discussing their differences when the shooting occurred.

Tappen, who lives at 134 South Pendleton, went to police headquarters in Independence and gave himself up to Sergeant W. W. Twyman.

In a statement he made there her said that St. Clair had drawn a pistol and that thereupon he, Tappen, had fired. After St. Clair, who was the son of George St. Clair, Independence street commissioner, fell dying, Tappen took his pistol. Both the3 weapons he laid on the sergeant's desk when he went to surrender. Tappen is 23. So is St. Clair. Tappen and St. Clair had been the best of friends, it is said, except on the subject of Miss Hughes.

Fannie May Hughes, although less than 19 years of age, is divorced. A year ago she received a decree freeing her from the Kansas City man with whom she had eloped. Their wedded life was brief. The gamut of domestic infelicity was run in six weeks. Then they separated.

Labels: , , ,

April 29, 1907


Two Afternoons to Be Given Them at
Electric Park.

It has been decided to devote two afternoons of each week to children's parties to be given in the fine new ball room at Electric park. Miss Gertrude Wagner, a dancing teacher, has been engaged to oversee these parties, and there will be free dancing lessons for all children who come to them. Until school is out the childrens' parties will be given on Wednesday and Saturday afternoons, but when the school year is over the parties may be more frequent. The instruction in dancing is to be entirely free to juvenile pupils. After the little people get to dancing, there will be more childrens' cotillions, and masquerade parties. Miss Wagner, will, of course, be the superintendent of these parties though the children's parents may come as spectators.

Labels: , , ,

March 14, 1907

New Armory to Be Opened Tomorrow Night

Third Regiment Armory Grand Opening

The new armory of the Third regiment at Fourteenth and Michigan will be thrown open to the public tomorrow night. There will be a concert from 8:30 to 10 o'clock, after which there will be dancing. Commercial and civic bodies have been invited to attend the opening ceremonies.

Although the armory has been in use for some time, it has never had a formal dedication. It is to acquaint the public generally with what the regiment has done, without outside assitance, that Colonel Cusil Lechtman has arranged for the reception. Incidentally it is hoped to attract young men, for whom the regiment is always on the lookout.

The armory embraces every convenience to be found in a building of its kind. There is a large drill hall, company rooms, quarters for the officers and ample provision for the storage of tents, equipment, rifles and the like. The building cost $24,000 and was designed by members of the regiment.

Labels: , ,

January 1, 1907


At Least 1,000 in Costume Welcome New Year

There were many spokes in Kansas City's New Year's wheel last night, but the hub was at Convention Hall, where there was held the first annual New Year's ball of the Convention Hall directors. In point of attendance it was not a great success, for there were more people in costumes on the floor than there were spectators in the balconies. There were at least a thousand on the floor in costume. There were
senoritas and Hottentots, princes and minstrels, cowboys and cowgirls, the Gold Dust Twins and Sunny Jim, ballet girls and a rooster. A dozen funny clowns played "crack the whip" and one of the real features was the young man who had himself
made up as a "Seeing Kansas City" trolley car with one passenger.

A new feature last night was the placing of the band in the center of the dancing floor and it was fully
satisfactory. The band was put on an elevated platform.

The spectacular effort of the evening was in the speeding of the old year and the welcoming of the new. At 1:30 o'clock high up at the north end of the hall suddenly appeared as the music stopped a dance, the

"1906 Good Bye."

There was then nearly thirty minutes of intermission, towards the last of which the blue lights that traced this farewell grew gradually dim. Then the band played "Should Auld Acquaintance Be Forgot," and just as the big dial in the south end of the hall showed 12 o'clock the dying lights in the big all went almost out, and the lettering at the north end of the auditorium suddenly changed to

"Welcome, 1907."

The maskers and the audience cheered and the lights went up again. Then came the unmasking.

Labels: , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

The Son of Jesse James is Accused of a Train Robbery at Leeds ... Can he get a fair trial in Kansas City?
The Trial of Jesse James, Jr.

>>More KC Books<<

As an Amazon Associate this site may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory