Find Rare Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas - A Celebration of Kansas City Past!


Old News from Kansas City - Vintage New Items
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

February 7, 1910


Overdressed Man Imagines He's
Hunted Magnate.

Robert C. Kainz, a young man who says he is an Englishman recently imported to this country, went to police headquarters about 3 o'clock Sunday morning and demanded to know why he had been locked out of jail. The desk sergeant apologized for the oversight and sent him to the holdover.

When searched Kainz was found to be a walking haberdashery, with everything from a clean collar to an extra suit of clothes on his person. Aside from the assortment of dry goods and men's furnishings were:

One ruby ring, three boxes of Egyptian cigarettes, several cigar lighters, a half dozen packages of chewing gum, two pairs of new horsehide gloves and several neckties.

Kainz wore two overcoats, two complete suits of clothes, a jersey sweater and two vests, besides two shirts and some under garments. His feet were protected by three pair of hose, each a different color, and two silk mufflers were wrapped around his neck.

Investigation revealed that he had been living at the Salvation Army hotel on Fifth street. For a time he is said to have imagined that he was the president of a great insurance company, who feared that the United States government might prosecute him for selling bad "policies." He had a quantity of sample insurance policies and a rate book in his pocket.

Kainz was turned over to Colonel J. C. Greenman yesterday and his mental condition will be looked into.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

January 27, 1910


But Gertie Harris Couldn't Fix the
Blame on Discarded Suitor.

"My name is Gertie Harris, and I want a warrant."

Norman Woodson, an assistant prosecuting attorney, interrupted late yesterday afternoon while working at his desk, looked up to see a blonde girl, 17 years of age, standing before him with fire in her eye.

"What is the trouble?" asked Mr. Woodson, laying down his pen.

"I want a warrant for a young man -- his first name is Harry. He and I used to go together. Last week we had a fight. I made a date to go to a dance with another fellow tonight --"

"I don't care for the history of your life; give me the facts," interrupted the assistant prosecutor.

"I guess this made Harry mad," continued Gertie, nonplussed. "Last night while I was away from home someone broke into the house. Before going to bed last night I looked in my wardrobe. What should I find but all my party clothes cut to shreds. My dancing pumps were ripped. In fact, nearly every dress I have was ruined."

"But are you sure Harry did this?"

"I am sure he did, though I did not see him," continued Gertie. "He did it to keep me from going to the dance tonight. He was awfully jealous of me, anyway."

The assistant prosecutor told her he could issue no warrant, as she could not positively swear that it was the jilted sweetheart who ruined her party clothes.

Labels: ,

December 20, 1909



Improvements Make All Cells Sani-
tary -- Shower Baths Provided
and Fumigator to De-
stroy Germs.

The interior of the workhouse has taken on quite a different aspect in the last few days, important improvements having been completed. The ceilings and walls are painted white, the latter having a heavy coat of red about six feet up from the floor. All of the cells have a new coat of shiny black enamel.

Until the recent improvements, each cell was unsanitary, being equipped with nothing but an old bucket. Now every cell is provided with a sanitary plumbing outfit. It took one month to dig a sewer inside the cell block and make the necessary connections. Outside the work could have been done in a week or ten days, but there the dirt had to be carried out in small boxes. The sewer is from five to seven feet deep and before dirt was reached it was necessary to dig through four inches of solid concrete, chisel through a steel plate one-eighth of an inch thick and then pick the way through eighteen inches more of solid concrete. This is laid beneath the floor to prevent any escapes by tunneling. As it took fully three weeks to reach terra firma it is not likely that anyone would succeed in completing a tunnel before being captured.

There also is a new system regarding mattresses and bedding. When a new prisoner arrives he gets a fresh, clean mattress, stuffed with clean straw. When the prisoner leaves the straw is burned and the bed tick washed. The cleaning method continues with regard to blankets. When a prisoner leaves his blanket goes direct to the laundry. If he is a long term man his blanket is washed and he gets a clean one two or three times a month. He also gets a fresh bed tick with new straw frequently.


At the east end of the cell block is a new washroom with a dozen bowls. Across the corridor are shower baths. Both have hot and cold water and plenty of soap. A prisoner is required to bathe on entering the workhouse, all of his discarded clothing going to the fumigator. He also is examined by the workhouse physician, Dr. F. H. Berry. His physical condition also is looked after. For the first time since it was built the workhouse now is absolutely free of any kind of vermin, and Superintendent Cornelius Murphy says he intends to keep it that way.

When a prisoner's clothes go to the fumigator they are not afterwards packed away in a bag and given to him all full of wrinkles when he leaves the place. In the workhouse now is a tailor who understands cleaning, pressing and mending. After leaving the fumigator the underclothing and linen go to the laundry where they are washed and ironed. The outer clothing goes to the tailor who repairs, cleans and presses it. When a prisoner leaves the institution now he often finds his "makeup" in far better condition than when he entered.

"The scheme of putting a prisoner's clothing in good condition," said C. A. Beatty, assistant superintendent, "has proven a good one and the men greatly appreciate it. It does not send a poor man away looking like a trap, but he has a good 'front' and is fit to apply to any man for work. The prison clothes worn by the men are washed frequently and the men are required to take baths often. It is new to many but they are getting used to it."


In the sewing room, established at the personal expense of William Volker, president of the board of pardons and paroles, all of the bed ticks as well as the clothing worn by both men and women prisoners, are made by women prisoners. One young woman who had been a frequent inmate of the institution now is earning $2.25 a day at a local mattress factory. Others are earning an honest living at overall factories. They learned to sew under the instruction of Mrs. Burnett, who has charge of the sewing room. Some never had done any stitching.

Another adjunct to the workhouse, which has proved a success, is the shoemaking department. A practical shoemaker, hired at the expense of Mr. Volker, is instructing the long term men how to be shoe cobblers and some are learning how to make shoes throughout. The shoes of all prisoners are overhauled and mended in this department. The shoeshop and sewing rooms are located over the barn and are heated by steam.

There are thirty-five men now out at the industrial farm at Leeds. They are now engaged at present in making a new roadway, but in the summer they are going to learn practical farming and gardening. This, too, has proven a success.

Labels: , , , , ,

December 13, 1909


After 35-Year Rest It Again Is Lat-
est in Style.

"I saw a number of men's beaver hats flitting around the lobby today, and they reminded me of when I was a little boy," said Vinton Bell, depot master at the Union depot, said yesterday.

"Years ago, I don't care to say how many, they were all the rage, and everybody had one. I recollect having seen cowboys with blue beavers with yellow bands riding into town in great style. Then they went out of fashion, apparently never to return. It was generally conceded that they were too effeminate for the masculine gender of this progressive country, but here they are again, sure enough."

The new men's beaver is in all colors of the rainbow, blue, purple and green predominating. Traveling salesmen and actors have been the most ready purchasers of the new fad so far, but those who have them for sale say one can never tell who will take up with them next.

The men's beaver went out of style about thirty-five years ago. In certain Western districts beaver hats were worn long after the species had become extinct and in cities.

Labels: ,

September 16, 1909


Every Officer of the Force Has Donned
the "Fussy Mittens."

Did you notice the white gloves which the policemen were wearing yesterday? Beginning yesterday morning, every officer on the department was compelled to don the "fussy mittens."

"Feel like I was on parade," said one man as he inspected the gloves carefully.

In all probability, white helmets will be required next summer. A new style cap is under consideration for the coming winter.

Labels: ,

September 3, 1909


Boy of Family Just From Scotland
Amuses Travelers.

Mrs. Jessie Kaine, whose husband, Archibald, left Glasgow, Scotland, six months ago for Wamego, Kas., arrived in Kansas City last night with her family of six children and her niece, 17-year-old Jennie McBride. Archibald, the younger, wore Scotch kilties, and several times during the evening gave the attaches of the Union depot an opportunity of seeing the "Highland Fling" by a young Scotchman only two weeks removed from his home. The children range in age from 11 years to 11 months.

Labels: , ,

August 31, 1909


"Hobo Harry" Started From New
York to Walk 3,850 Miles
for a Prize.

"Hobo Harry," who left Madison Square garden in New York June 21, clothed only in seven old newspapers fastened on with a ball of string, reached Kansas City last night at 9 o'clock en route on foot and also "on the bum" to San Francisco.

"Harry" says he is walking for a prize of $2,500 offered by a company of New York publishers. Certain restrictions, which the pedestrian has found hard to meet, were laid down as additional barriers. He must not put up at a hotel nor sleep on a bed; he must not work to earn money n or can he buy anything to sell for a profit.

About the only source of revenue left to him is his suit of clothes. He sells space on his coat, hat and even trousers to those who want to write their signatures as souvenirs in indelible ink.

His paper suit lasted his just three hours and ten minutes had he walked through New York, New Jersey, Arlington and Newark clad in nothing but this journalistic raiment. At Newark he solicited a suit of duck clothing from an obscure philanthropist and the first of his great obstacles was overcome. At Columbus, O., he "bummed" a tough suit of khaki and already this is covered by more than 100 signatures. The highest price he ever received for "advertising space" on his khaki suit was a $2.50 gold piece, he says.

"Harry: says he doesn't allow himself more than eight hours' rest at a time. To win the prize he must make the journey in 156 walking days, Sundays and rainy days are not counted. He says he has reached Kansas City about twenty days ahead of his schedule, based on the total distance of 3,850 miles, as calculated by Weston.

"I am going to beat Weston's first record of 139 days," he said. "Dan O'Leary made the trip in 102 days in '97 and Weston made it again in 105."

He left Lexington, Mo., at 3 o'clock yesterday morning and covered the distance of forty-eight miles to Kansas City by 9 o'clock at night. He will resume his journey Thursday morning at 4 o'clock.

Labels: , , , ,

August 29, 1909


Journey in Hot Sun Made Them
Long for Home.

Three foot-sore and weary runaways arrived in Kansas City last night by rail from Valencia, Kas. They were Uhlen and Juanita Templeton, 16 and 18 years old respectively, and Helen Duncan, 16 years old. The trio left Kansas City Monday morning by the Rock Island and rode as far as Topeka, Kas. When they left, their intention was to get to Stanley, N. M., where John Templeton, father of the Templeton youngsters, has a mining claim.


Their money gave out in Topeka and they decided to walk the rest of the way to New Mexico, working at intervals along the way for "lifts" by rail. Monday was a hot day and the ten miles they walked to Valencia all but exhausted them. Uhlen would not allow his sister or Helen to carry a suit case in which were the trio's belongings. After a few miles it was decided to throw the grip away and "hoof it" without burdens.


They arrived at the depot in Valencia, hungry, penniless, their feet blistered by the walk over the railroad ties in the blazing sun. Their presence, unaccompanied and without baggage created suspicion. After several offers had been made to them a young man named John Moore, a "good Samaritan," took them to his mother's home for the night. Tuesday morning a council of war was held and a collection was taken up by the Ladies' Aid Society of one of the local churches and they were sent home, after the matron at the Union depot had been wired to be on the lookout for them.


Mrs. Elizabeth Cole, 3712 East Twelfth street, grandmother of the Templetons, has had the care of them since the death of their mother more than a year ago.

Promising that they would "go straight home," the trio were allowed to leave the Union depot, after the fact concerning Mrs. Cole's residence was learned. They went to the home of Helen Duncan 632 Fremont avenue. When a short distance from that address, Uhlen balked, saying he didn't want to stay there. He left the girls, saying he intended to make his way to his father in New Mexico.


"He was afraid to go to grandma's," said Juanita at her grandmother's home, "for fear he would be scolded by our brother, Lester. When we were in Valencia, Mr. Moore, who was so kind to us, told Uhlen that if he did not like it at home for him to go back up there and he would see that he was cared for. I believe that he will try to beat his way to where pap is, however.."


The police have been ordered to look for Uhlen Templeton, who is 5 feet 2 inches tall and weighs about 120 pounds He has dark hair, dark blue eyes and a fair complexion. When last seen he wore a dark blue serge two-piece suit of clothes and a light shirt. He wore a dark, soft hat and dark shoes. The missing boy, with his brother, Lester, 19 years old, has been working for the Pittsburg Paint and Glass Company, Fifth and Wyandotte streets. His fear of being "roasted" by Lester is said to have been the cause of the sudden departure.

Mrs. Cole, the grandmother, is greatly worried over the absence of the boy, and his sister, Juanita, was in a serious condition from hysterics last night. She said that she had been the cause of Uhlen's going away, and, in her temporary delirium, she believed he had been killed.

"Both of the children are headstrong," said the grandmother. "Uhlen has never left me before. If the police can get Uhlen back for me I believe that both will have been cured of running away."

"It was our intention to work our way to papa in New Mexico," said Juanita, when she became quiet enough to talk. "We had but little money, and after we had been in Topeka a short time it was lost. Then we set out on foot towards the West, Uhlen carrying the grip. After we had walked several miles the brave little fellow nearly gave out, and as he would not allow either of us to carry it, we threw it away. The section hands tried to find it later, but they couldn't. My feet are all blisters, and Uhlen's are worse. I know that I am going to stay right here and never go away again."
Helen Duncan is now safely ensconced at home. The girls had been directed to a boarding house in Valencia where they would be allowed to do housework, while Uhlen did the chores, when they were discovered by Mr. Moore, who took them to his mother.

Labels: , , , , , ,

July 17, 1909


Aged Applicant for Parole Says Son
Was Knighted for Bravery.

Anderson J. Barker, 69 years old, was fined $500 Wednesday for running an alleged "fake" employment agency, wore only a pair of overalls and a short-sleeved shirt when he appeared before the board of pardons and paroles yesterday for hearing on his application for parole, but despite the costume his appearance was that of a stately gentleman of the "old school."

After telling of his service to his country during the civil war, during which he was twice breveted for meritorious conduct on the field, tears streamed down his cheeks as he told of how he had reared his two sons, both of whom, he said, were heads of Y. M. C. A. organizations, one in a suburb of Chicago and the other in Calcutta, India.

"For saving the life of Lord Frazier in Calcutta on November 9 last," said the aged man, his eyes suffused with tears, "my boy Ben was made a knight by King Edward VII of England on February 9 of this year. The king also decorated him with a gold medal for bravery. My other son, Edwin, is a thirty-second degree Mason.

"I have been engaged in one business in this city for seven years. The police judge heard only the testimony of a policeman and the complainant, and said: 'Five hundred dollars.' I never committed a crime in my life."

While discussing the matter of parole, Barker said he would withdraw his application, and appeal. He did not wish to bear the stigma of having to report to the secretary every week. The board told him there was no stigma attached to a parole and promised to look into his references today, when he may be granted freedom.

Labels: , , , , , ,

May 30, 1909


A. L. Askanas Purchases Control of
This Well Known Firm.

The Nebraska Clothing Company, for many years located at 1113-1115 Main street, are retiring from Kansas City and have disposed of their interest to Mr. A. L. Askanas, who has been associated with this firm as a stockholder and resident manager for the past sixteen years. This business will be conducted in the future under the name of the Askanas Clothing Company.

The lease covering the building at 1125 Main street, now occupied by the Kline Cloak and Suit Co., has been transferred to the Askanas Clothing Co., and the building at 1113-1115 Main street has been transferred to the Kline Cloak and Suit Co.

As will be announced in a few days, the stock now at 1113-1115 Main street will be entirely closed out at this location, and the new firm will open with a complete new stock for fall, on or about Sept. 1 at 1125 Main street.

W. N. Dixon, who has been with the old firm for a number of years, will be retained in his present position as advertising manager.

Labels: , , ,

May 24, 1909


Letter Carrier Who Believes in
Cleanliness and Neatness.

Should all of the men in the civil service of the United States follow the example of a well known mail carrier in Kansas City the work of tailors would treble and the men would gain fame for their general appearance. The man who sets the pace in neatness is found in the city directory in the following short history: "Harry Feaman, Carrier, P. O. 3217 East Eleventh Street."

This firm believer in the old proverb of "Cleanliness is next to Godliness" works for Uncle Sam for eight hours every day. He carries a mail route in the North End and the city hall. The mail bags are heavy but become burdensome when stuffed with letters and papers. A carrier is constantly waling and is compelled to climb many pairs of stairs in the course of a day.

There is considerable dust flying in the air in the neighborhood of city hall and when Carrier Feaman's work is finished he feels dirty and grimy. He changes his uniform from three to five times a day and tops each change with a cold water bath. In consequence of these many changes this mail carrier always appears neat and tidy, in fact one would believe that he had just stepped out of a band box.

When Feaman gets up in the morning he refreshes himself with a dip in a tub of cold water, dresses and goes to work. Returning home for lunch he again indulges in a plunge and dons clean clothes and a freshly pressed uniform. The work of distributing his mail in the afternoon musses up his garments and so it is bath and change of clothes No. 3 for Mr. Feaman.

Labels: , , , , ,

May 17, 1909


Kaiser Hat, With Knot Behind,
"Riles" Patrick Haffey of Bar-X.

Believing the bow on a man's hatband should be on the side, rather than around in the rear, Patrick Haffey, a cattleman, last night attempted to dictate fashion to a stranger in the Union depot.

After carefully scrutinizing the hat, which was one of the soft green felt Kaiser Wilhelm variety with a little bow-knot at the back, Haffey laid a large and heavy hand on the hat and, lifting it up, twisted it so that the bow was on the side, and slammed it back down on his victim's head.

"There," he said, "that is the way men wear their hats in my section of the country."

He put much emphasis on the word "men."

"What do you think you are doing, sir?" was the indignant query of the man with the hat, as he sized up Haffey's six feet two inches of solid manhood.

"Haffey's my name, young feller," said the ranchman, "Patrick Haffey, and I'm from the Bar-X ranch out in New Mexico. Where I come from a man don't wear a hat like a kid, and if he hasn't got a ribbon on his hat he puts a strap around it, but the buckle's on the side, you can bet."

By the time Haffey had delivered himself of this information the hat had been turned around and the little bow stood out defiantly in the rear.

Haffey again laid his ponderous hand over the crown of the hat, took it off the wearer's head and a second time slammed it back with the bow on the side.

"Don't try that on me again, stranger," he said angrily. "You keep that bow where it belongs or make tracks. If you don't you won't have any hat at all."

The man with the hat found Station Master John Wallenstrom, and together they went back to look for Haffey, but he had also disappeared.

"I did not say a word to the man," said the victim of these indignities, "and treatment of that kind in a public place at the hands of a stranger should not go unpunished, it should not be tolerated."

The man refused to give his name. He boarded the Chicago & Alton train which left for St. Louis a few minutes after.

Labels: , ,

April 29, 1909


Governor's Staff at Mansion Hop in
Honor of Colonel Andrae.

JEFFERSON CITY, April 28. -- Governor Herbert S. Hadley tonight gave a dance in honor of Colonel Henry Andrae, warden of the state penitentiary and a member of the governor's staff,, who is to be married tomorrow to Miss Gussie Neff.

For the event the governor invited all the members of his official staff, and about twenty of them reported in full regimentals. None made a braver showing than Colonel E. S. Jewett of Kansas City, who was in full uniform, and smothered in gold lace.

Labels: , , , , , ,

April 24, 1909


And Bulldog Cane and Raincoat Has
This Theater Man.

During lo these many years one of the proud boasts of A. Judah, manager of the Grand opera house, has been that any article left in the Grand has been soon returned to its owner. It happens that Mr. Judah has a couple of articles on his hands that he has not been able to dispose of and he is visibly disturbed. Some lady who attended last Thursday night's performance of "The Girl at the Helm" carelessly dropped a diamond brooch on the floor opposite the center section, down in front; and some gentleman who is equally careless left a valuable raincoat on the left center section, close to the stage. In addition to these, Manager Judah has six pair of gloves, left by persons who appeared to wax too enthusiastic over "The Girl at the Helm," not to say a word about two pair of overshoes, a bulldog cane and a seal muff. Mr. Judah has all of these and he will gladly return them to the rightful owner upon presentation of sufficient proof.

Labels: , ,

April 17, 1909


Promoters Have Troubles Intro-
ducing the Hansom Cab.

An epoch in the history of Kansas City was made yesterday with the appearance of a real hansom cab, one of two just imported of those two-wheeled, lofty vehicles in which the driver rides way up in back and holds the reins over the roof and the two passengers sit behind locked doors.

The denouement was made yesterday afternoon when a prominent society woman who lives on West Armour boulevard engaged the vehicle to drive home from a reception given by another prominent society woman on Brooklyn avenue.

At the outset the carriage washer at the livery barn, the enterprise of whose manager brought the equipages to this city, refused to have anythingthing to do with them.

"Have I got to wash them things all summer?" he asked when he first saw the cab yesterday. "Not me. Gimme my money and I'm gone." And he went.

The question of livery for the driver was still to be solved. Twelve pairs of moleskin breeches were brought out. Harry Lasco, the "Cabby," tried on several pairs and then lost his nerve.

"Please let me wear regular trousers," he said. "I know I'll feel queer enough up there on the seat of that thing, as it is. The hat and coat are all right. I don't mind them so much, but the pants."

Lasco's troubles began when he reached Main street. Small boys followed and howled at him. Obliged to wait to allow a car to pass, a crowd gathered quickly and it was some minutes before he could proceed. On the way back from the reception after driving several parties up and down the boulevard, he found the most unfrequented streets and returned to the barn without a mishap. The promoters of the hansom cab have purchased twelve heavy coach horses.

Labels: , , ,

March 28, 1909


No Freaks in Pattern or Tailoring
This Season.

Conspicuous designs and freak tailoring effects are little to be seen this season, is the word from tailordom. The smart suitings are English flannels, in plain and small designs. For mid-summer homespuns will have a good demand. "The gentleman who dresses tastefully will dress modestly, both as to pattern and cut," said C. A. Bergfeldt at his shop in the Victor building. "The lines of our garments," he added, "are fashioned to give the wearer the appearance of a well turned figure, with a high chest and graceful waist."

Labels: ,

March 3, 1909


In Which Would a Policeman Look
Best in Summer?

Would a policeman's appearance be improved if he wore a gray helmet in summer instead of the traditional blue of the Kansas City department?

Sergeant Richard Lang, inspector of uniforms, is contemplating bringing the matter before the police board relative to a change in the time honored color. He had on exhibition at police headquarters yesterday samples of the new style of helmets. The majority of the men were opposed to the gray helmets, owing to the fact that white gloves must be worn to keep them from being soiled by sweaty fingers.

"Wouldn't I look pretty with white kid gloves?" said Patrick Boyle, the short-stop. "I would look like I was in full dress attire at a fancy ball."

In defense of the new style, Sergeant Lang says that all of the larger cities now require the police to wear the gray helmets. He also contemplates bringing to the board's attention the establishment of an ordinance department and requiring all men to purchase their uniforms from the city. In this way the style would be the same, the material exactly alike and the men would have the benefit of uniforms at cost. New York has tried the plan with success.

Labels: , , ,

February 28, 1909


Strange Collection Disposed of at
Auction in Federal Building.

An auction sale of articles left during the past year or two in the federal building took place yesterday forenoon in the offices of W. S. Umphrey, assistant custodian of the building. It was a non-descript collection, and there was everything in it, from a Merry Widow hat, model 1907, to a pair of pink pajamas and a case of patent medicine.

A pair of shoes brought the highest price of the sale, at $2.10 Following them, an pair of new canvas golf shoes went for only 10 cents. The wide-brim woman's hat could not be sold at first, but after the other sales it was bid on by a negro at 25 cents. A coat, which had seen about five years' wear, sold for 5 cents.

Labels: , ,

February 2, 1909



Clothing Firm Carried Insurance of
$100,000 -- Plan Seven-Story
Steel Structure to Replace
Burned Building.
Rothschild's Corner is Gutted By Fire.


Rothschild & Sons.........$120,000
A. A. Pearson, building and stock.......$1,000
A. D. Mitchell, photographer....$100
Dr. He Ly Yuen......$50
Damage to building......#30,000

Insurance, $131,000

Property valued at $150,000 was destroyed by a fire which started in the basement of the old three-story brick building at the southwest corner of Tenth and Main streets at 9 o'clock last night.

The entire stock of Rothschild & Sons, clothiers, valued at $120,000, was practically ruined; the building, owned jointly by J. S. Loose and the Soden estate, and valued at $30,000, was gutted, and its walls will have to be torn down; the Mitchell studio, on the third floor in the north wing of the building, was destroyed, and the outfit of Dr. Ho Ly Yeun, a Chinese physician, went with the flames.

A. A. Pearson's millinery stock at 1010 Main street was also slightly damaged by water.

It was one of the quickest and most ferocious fires that the Kansas City department has ever had to combat. The alarm came in from three sources at 9:05 o'clock. It was five minutes before the first fire engine arrived. The fire, first sighted on the third floor, near the elevator shaft, quickly ate its way to the lower floor, and before the firemen had started water on the building the inside of the clothing store was enwrapped in flames.


A general alarm was turned in, but the fire had gained such headway that the Chief Egner's men found that they could do nothing but confine the flames to the one building. That poor water pressure hampered the earlier efforts of the firemen is attested by persons who were on the ground when the flames were discovered. R. J. Quarles, a retired banker, who was at the scene, says that it was fully five minutes before a company arrived, and that it was another five minutes before water was thrown into the building, and then only a weak stream.

The only accident recorded was a minor one, Chief J. F. Pelletier of the insurance patrol running a sliver into his right hand while directing his men inside the Rothschild store.


Members of hose companies Nos. 4, 5 and 6, were on the roof of the building when the structure began to creak, and Chief Egner ordered them to move to the next roof. His order was given none too soon, for a minute later the roof fell in.

Thousands gathered to witness the spectacle, and several hundred went home with clothing thoroughly drenched. A hose attached to an engine in front of the United cigar store, at the northwest corner of Tenth and Main streets, burst suddenly , and a score of persons standing in front of the cigar shop were soaked with water.

Twenty-one fire companies lent their efforts toward putting down the flames, but with this force it was long after midnight before the fire was completely under control.


Rothschild & Sons carried $100,000 insurance on their stock, and Frank Ferguson of the insurance firm of Ferguson & Taft, sitting in his office in the Dwight building, Tenth and Baltimore, saw the flames and was one of the men to turn in an alarm. U. B. Hart, a Pinkerton patrolman, turned in an alarm about the same time as did John W. Schroeder, bookkeeper for Rothschild's, who was in the store.

Louis P. Rothschild, resident member of the firm, says that they had only recently reduced their insurance policies now aggregating about $100,000. The Mitchell Studio was fully protected.

Rothschild & Sons had a ninety-nine year lease on the Soden property, and sublet to the other tenants. The clothing store occupied the three floors of what was known as the old building, 1000 and 1008 Main street, and the first floor of the corner building.


Originally the old building, fronting fifty-two feet on Main street, was two stories in height. This building was erected by J. S. Loose. The adjoining building at the corner had a frontage of twenty-three feet on Main street, and was erected by the late Peter Soden. The two buildings were remodeled into a sort of a combination structure and a third story added.

Louis P. Rothschild said his firm had contemplated razing the building at an early date, and erecting a steel structure in its place. This idea will now be carried out, the plans providing for a seven-story building, to cost $200,000.

The safe containing $3,000 in cash, as well as all the books and records of the Rothschild firm, was unharmed.

The firm of Rothschild & Sons was established in Fort Leavenworth fifty-five years ago, and last night's fire was the first in the history of the firm. They moved to Kansas City in 1901.

Labels: , , , , , ,

January 30, 1909


Clothes No Index to the Room Guests
Will Take.

"You can't always tell the kind of a room a man wants by the number of diamonds that he wears or by his dress," George North, chief clerk at the Kupper hotel, said yesterday. "The fellows who wear the biggest diamonds and wear the swellest clothes often are the ones who ask for the $1 rooms. They spend all their money for diamonds and clothes, eat at a 15 cent restaurant and want the cheapest rooms.

"It is often the man who wears the plain, simple business clothes who want the best rooms. They usually want the best there is going and are able to pay for it."

Labels: , ,

January 18, 1909


Washerwomen Demand Suitcases to
Carry Home the Week's Laundry.

Some of the families which have washing done away from home are in a fret over the latest demands made by the strictly modern washerwoman. When the prettily decorated clothesbags made their appearance it pleased the washerwomen, who have too much pride to carry a big bundle of clothes down the street on their heads, the old time way.

This incited the washerwomen to hope for even better things. Now the clothesbag has been relegated to the rear by them and they are now demanding that they be provided with suitcases or large handbags to carry the clothes to and from home.

"It's this way," explained one of the washerwomen. "The conductors always frown at us and the people on the cars make faces at us when we climb aboard a street car with a big bundle of clothes wrapped in a sheet or stuffed in a big pillow slip. It takes up too much room."

Labels: , ,

December 26, 1908


Interesting History of the Costume
Worn by Harry Lauder.

There is an interesting story connected with the big fur shako or Schotch bonnet which is worn by Harry Lauder, the Scotch comedian, who will be at Convention hall Sunday and Monday. this bonnet is worn by Mr. Lauder as a part of his makeup while singing, "When I Get Back Again to Bonnie Scotland," the song which King Edward requested him to sing at a recent "Command."

The bonnet was presented to Lauder by Private Alexander Dow, who is one of the survivors of the "Noble Six Hundred," who fought and bled for England's glory at Balaklava. Private Dow, who is now almost 80 years of age, was one of the brave Ninety-third Highlanders who formed the "Thin Red Line," who were only distinguised from their red-coated fellow fighters by the small blue hackle which adorned their bonnets.

The rest of Mr. Lauder's costume when singing this song was presented to him by the First battalion of the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders, and constitutes their full dress regimentals -- all save the tiny dagger or skean, which peeps out of the right stocking. This little weapon, which is also of historical and sentimental value, was a gift from Pip Major MacKay of the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanderrs, and was obtained by him on the battlefield of Mager-Fontein during the Boer war.

This blood-stained little souvenir of carnage was found clasped in the hand of an officer of the "Black Watch" -- the Forty-second Highlanders -- who evidently had used it well in the defense of the life he could not save, in a hand-to-hand conflict with some Boer warrior enemy.

Labels: , , ,

December 5, 1908


Frank Armstrong Will Not Fight
West Fifth Street Merchant Again.

If you get into an argument with a West Fifth street merchant about a purchase, don't hit him -- don't even hit at him. You may have to fight a bull dog instead of the merchant.

The latter is what happened to Frank Armstrong, a lineman, 32 years old, in a little shop at 335 West Fifth street yesterday afternoon. Armstrong bought a pair of shoes. He said they did not fit. The merchant said they did. They argued. Armstrong gave the merchant the strongarm for one punch in the solar plexis.

"Oof! Ouch!" said the merchant. Then he recovered his breath sufficiently to call loudly, "Sic 'um Isadore, sick 'um quick!"

Now Isadore proved in this instance to be a fine specimen of the brindle bull dog with pink eyes. Obeying his master's command Isadore made a rapid flank movement and at once opened rapid fire on Armstrong's left pedal extremity.

It is not known whether Armstrong took his shoes, but he was taken to the emergency hospital after the "dogs of war" had been called off. Dr. W. L. Gist cauterized forty-three cuts on the lineman's leg -- all made by Isadore's sharp incisors.

After his wounds had been dressed Armstrong was locked up on a charge of disturbing the peace. He spent the night in the holdover.

"If I make any more purchases in that neighborhood," he said, "I think I'll wear football clothes or armor of some kind. I can fight a man, but bull dogs are not in my line. The dern shoes didn't fit anyway."

Armstrong's home is at 2935 North Fifth street, Kansas City, Kas.

Labels: , , , , ,

November 19, 1908





Young Man Had Brooded Over His
Inability to Buy Diamonds
for His Wife -- She
Finds Him Dead.
Gordon Kyle, Died in Women's Clothing

Dressed completely in his young wife's party clothes, Gordon Kyle, 24 years of age, hanged himself in his home, at 1706 Belleview avenue, yesterday afternoon. The noose was made from two of his wife's hair ribbons and a strap from her suit case. This he tied to the foot of an iron bed and deliberately sat until he was strangled. About two hours later he was found dead by his wife, Maude Cox Kyle.

The only reason given for the act was that he loved his wife so dearly that he could not endure the thought of her being forced to live in comparative poverty. They had been married but two months, during which time the young husband lamented the fact that his wife could not have diamonds and jewels and clothes and such as some women wear. He frequently spoke of it to his wife and condemned himself bitterly.

The suicide had ransacked his wife's trunk in search of her garments. That part of her wardrobe which he did not use was strewn about the floor carelessly. His own clothes were placed by the side of the bed. Kyle had chosen a flimsy black gown in which to die, and underneath it he wore his wife's skirts, hosiery and underwear. The only part of feminine attire which he did not use were the hat and shoes.


The scene which met the young wife's eyes when she opened the door of the room was gruesome. First of all she saw her husband of two months lying by the foot of the bed, his body fearfully contorted, clad in feminine apparel. About him lay clothes of every description and on the pillow of the bed rested a loaded revolver.

"Gordon, Gordon," screamed the frantic wife so terrifically that those on the street heard her and ran to see what might be the matter. "Gordon, speak to me, speak to me."

When aid arrived the horrified woman was pinching her dead husband, unwilling to believe him dead. She pinched his legs, his hands, his face, but the flesh was cold and his face was fast coloring darkly. Realizing at last the awful tragedy, she moaned again and again:

"Oh, Gordon, why did you do it; why did you do it? Oh those clothes, those clothes!"

In trying to account for her husband's peculiar suicide, Mrs. Kyle said that very often he had seemed disconsolate and sad; that he had been brooding over their financial condition and his inability to give her the best and much of everything she wanted. Once he had spoken of suicide, saying that he should not stand in her way and hold her down to such poverty.


"In order to show him that I loved him and wanted to sh are his lot with him, I offered to go to work to help defray the household expenses. I would have done anything for him, but he did not want me to work. He wanted me to live like a rich lady. Anyhow I got a position at Morton's two weeks ago and then I thought as soon as we had laid by some money he would be his old cheery self again. He went without his meals during the day that he might save money for me, and he grew ill. Try as I might, I could not get him to eat regularly. How he hated to think of me working and I did not know it until today. He must have thought that I was sorry I married him. But he was wrong, wrong, wrong."

Then the little widow could speak no more. She bowed her head and her whole frame shook from sobbing. The fact that her husband had worn her clothes to face death affected her strangely. Sometimes she looked upon it as a token of his great love for her, and at other times she believed it to be a rebuke.


"Maude and Gordon were so happy together," said Joe Cox, her father. "There was never a cross word, and he seemed to want to grant her every wish. About a month ago he was hurt in an accident at the stock yards, where he had been employed. Because of his injuries he was unable to attend to work and he feared for his wife's existence. The injuries were about his legs and head, and I think that he was not quite right mentally today."

His wife told of his peculiar actions yesterday morning when he told her goodbye. She said that he was unusually affectionate, going out after having kissed her goodby and later returning to caress her again.

The body was taken to Freeman & Marshall's undertaking rooms after the suicide had been reported to the police and coroner. Kyle had recently taken out a life insurance policy for $1,500.

Labels: , , , ,

November 18, 1908



Refuse to Reduce Size of Headgear
and Board of Education Won't
Enlarge the Lockers -- Wait
for Style to Change.

"I wish someone would start a style for small hats for the high school girls!" exclaimed Professor E. D. Phillips yesterday. "These big hats are ridiculous. The girls can't get them in their lockers and there they are in the dust. They cannot reach the top of the lockers without stools and someone is always disturbing the drawing or bookkeeping rooms borrowing stools.

"A big hat is a most selfish thing, anyway. It obscures the view at the theater and at the place of amusement and it takes up more than its share of room in the street cars. I don't see why our girls cannot wear sensible hats."

The girls at the Manual Training high school, and the other high schools, too, for that matter, have long bemoaned the fact that the board of education provided them with little 12x12-inch boxes in which to keep their hats.

When the Merry Widows came out last spring it made a distinct impression upon the high school girl. It was "just too cute for words," and she immediately adopted it as particularly becoming to her style of beauty.

The big hats this year have again caught her fancy and the top of the lockers surpass any millinery display in the city. As the size of the hats has grown, so has grown the indignation of the teachers and pupils, but the growth has been in the opposite direction.

"Gee, Pop! The board of education didn't know the first thing about girls' clothes when they ordered these lockers for us," exclaimed a little Manual Training high school girl yesterday, as she stood before one of the new steel arrangements for storing hats and coats.

""Well, I should say not!" agreed her next door neighbor. "What kind of a hat do you suppose they intended to put in that 12x12 arrangement? Why any lady could have told those men that that space wouldn't hold even the crown of a hat this year."

"These lockers are good for just one thing. They make perfectly elegant toilet tables," chimed in a third girl as she stood before the piece of broken mirror placed conveniently at the back of the locker shelf and powdered her nose from a generous box of white stuff.

A little further down the line of lockers, girls were poised on top of high stools anxiously looking over the display of millinery which covered the top of the lockers, while others were waiting patiently for them to descend. The locker tops are too high for most of the girls, and it takes some little time to get down the hats.

"If the girls wouldn't wear those silly big hats!" say the teachers----

"If the board of education would only give us more room!" sighs the girls. "The teachers can say all they please about us, but we're not going to look like frumps. And we're not going to cut down our hats."

Labels: ,

October 31, 1908





Flame of Gasoline Stove Catches Mrs.
Martha Hughes's Garments
While She Labors at
Ironing Board.

After striving for five years to lift her family of three children from a position of dependence, fighting against fate with all the strength of her crippled body, Mrs. Martha Hughes, 36 years old, a widow, was burned to death yesterday afternoon in her home at 1415 Spruce avenue.

Five years ago Mrs. Hughes's husband died and she was thrown upon the world to earn a living for herself and her three children, a boy of 12 years, a girl of 9 and a baby boy of 2 years. Her fight was an uphill one, and she collapsed under her heavy handicap, and was forced to go to the poor farm of the Missouri county where she lived. She did what work her health permitted around the place, but she was never content to remain there.

"I want my children to be able to hold up their heads in the world when I am gone," she said.

As soon as she was able she left the institution, and went into another county, where she made another fight to bring up her children away from the almshouse atmosphere. Again she was unsuccessful, and went to another poor farm.

After a year of wandering from one poor farm to another she landed in Kansas City, having just been released from the almshouse at Butler, Mo. Her case was brought to the attention of the Provident Association. It was just at t his time that the agitation against the housing of children in poor houses was sweeping the state, and the association determined that Mrs. Hughes should be given a chance to bring up her children away from any charitable institution.

She was put in a little house with her children and provided with washing to do. Her work was very hard, for she had a leg which was so crippled that she had to use crutches when she walked upon the street. After a short time the older boy found a place with a farmer in Jackson county and the mother was left alone with her little girl and baby. Six months ago he returned to his mother and since then has been working in a bag factory earning $4 a week, which he contributed to the support of the family.

The daughter called for the clothes and delivered them and the mother washed and ironed them. When she ironed she set the little gasoline stove which she used to heat her irons close to the ironing board so that she would not have to take many steps in her work.

It was while engaged thus yesterday afternoon about 4 o'clock that her skirts caught fire. She was alone and unable to help herself and was literally burned all over her body. The ambulance from the Walnut street police station was called and made a record run. Mrs. Hughes was taken to the general hospital, where she died at 8 o'clock.

Before she passed away she clasped the hands of Mrs. Kate Pearson of the Provident Association in her own burnt ones, and said:

"You won't let them separate my children, will you, Mrs. Pearson?"

Mrs. Pearson said that she would not.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

October 26, 1908


They Will Distribute Comfort and
Cheer to the Unfortunate.

The Slum Angels have arrived in Kansas City and from now on we can see them every day, if we feel like it. There are only two of them, that seeming to be all that could be induced to come to Kansas City, although Minneapolis has five and New York and several other cities many more.

Various are the names that the Slum Angles go by. In some places they are called the Slum Sisters and in others the Little Saints of the Salvation Army. If you address them as Captain Nettie Room and Lieutenant Alice Seay, they would answer to those names also.

They are two bright, sweet faced young women who have been appointed by Colonel Blanche B. Cox, commanding the Mid Western province of the Salvation Army, to take charge of the slum and relief work of the army in this city. For several years there have been slum angels at work in other cities and Miss Room herself has been in the work eight years, in Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Minneapolis. Miss Seay graduated from the Chicago training school last July.

All of the investigating work of the army in this city will be turned over to them and it will be their duty exclusively to determine whether an applicant for relief is worthy or not. They will also administer temporary relief where the need is pressing.

An important part of their work consists in nursing. Miss Room has nursed several years in hospitals and her assistant has had instruction along the same line. The slum angel comes into the home of the poor family at their darkest hour, when illness has attacked the breadwinner, doctors and nurses the ailing one, cheers up the other members of the family, and provides temporary relief when needed.

One other function that the angels undertake is to teach that virtue is next to Godliness. They will invade an unkempt home and with the consent of the housewife, give the house a thorough cleaning. They will instruct the family in the use of soap, scrubbing brushes and disinfectants.

The customary uniform of the slum angel consists of a blue striped suit with a black straw hat, trimmed with army insignia. They will occupy rooms in one of the congested districts of the city, which they will make their headquarters. It is planned to make these rooms the meeting place of the mothers' clubs, reading circles and sewing societies, which the slum workers will organize among their workers.

"But we will not forget the spiritual side of our work while attending to the physical wants of our people," said Miss Room yesterday. "We will make it our business to bring Christianity into the lives of all with whom we come in contact."

The slum sisters are making preparations for their work this week. They will begin active settlement life in a few days.

Labels: , , , , , ,

October 26, 1908


Perhaps That's Why So Many Clothes
Were Stolen Last Week.

Overcoats and winter clothes were the most important articles stolen during the last week. The cold rains made it necessary for the thieves to dress warmer and they proceeded to get the clothes. The heaviest loser was the Paris store, 312 East Twelfth street, which was entered Saturday night. The goods reported stolen included two hats worth $70, and nineteen large plumes, total value, $226. A reward of $25 is offered for the recovery of the plumes.

Glazers' tools were stolen from the Baltimore hotel Saturday afternoon. An Eskimo dog was reported stolen Saturday from Mrs. A. B. Hunt, 3235 East Seventh street. Arthur Dunlap reported to the police yesterday that a friend took a horn belonging to him and failed to return it. Six pairs of pants were stolen from the store of H. Segelbohm & Co., 1307 Main street. An overcoat and umbrella was stolen by a sneak thief from C. T. Gable, while he was at t he Meridith apartments. A set of double harness was stolen from the barn of A. B. Shumway, 1007 East Twelfth street. Lead pipe thieves made their appearance Saturday after a brief period of rest. They cut the pipe out of a new building at 1525 Cherry street. W. A. Robertson, Leavenworth, Kas., reported that a serge suit was stolen from his room, 1100 East Nineteenth street. Five dollars in one of the pockets went along with the pants.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

October 24, 1908


East Bottoms People Appeared in
Court Without Clothing.

More destitute than any family which has been in the juvenile court for months, the Akes family from the East Bottoms appeared there yesterday. So scant was the clothing for the family that some of the members of it were wrapped up in quilts and old sweaters. They told the judge that there was four feet of water in their home at Michigan and Guinotte avenues. The case was one for the Helping Hand, where the Akes were taken so that they could be fitted out with clothing.

Labels: , , , , ,

October 10. 1908



It Was to a Married Man, and the
Forest Park Beauties, in Colors
Which Made a Noise,
Get Into Court.

Notice is hereby given that the partnership mentioned below, heretofore at Forest park, has been dissolved by order of court:

Dorothy -- Aileen
Song and Dance Soubrettes

A letter caused it all. This missive, couched in tender terms, was from Aileen D'Armond, otherwise Aileen Clemm of 1515 East Twelfth street, to F. K. Weston, or John King, manager of the flicker-flicker theater at Forest park, where the "sisters" gave afternoon and nightly exhibitions of terpsichorean and musical skill (See billboards for further adjectives.).

Dorothy, or, more properly, Grace Stafford, had nothing to do with the mailing of missives. It was companionship that brought her into the juvenile court yesterday afternoon with Aileen and Mrs. Henry C. Clemm, mother of one of the"sisters."

There might have been no trouble at all if Weston or King -- his wife called him King -- had not been married. But wives will see their husband's letters, and things began to happen shortly after Mrs. King got her eyes focused on the written page.


To the probation officer for her with a complaint against Aileen, who confesses to being 14 and who, until last year, was a pupil at the Humboldt school. Result, the D'Armonds and the mother of half of them before Judge H. L. McCune. The case was heard in chambers.

Such an insight into theatrical life as was given by the two girls. For her part, Grace Stafford, or Dorothy D'Armond, had a word or two to say from the depths of a deep blue poke-bonnet-scoop combination, trimmed with blue and white feathers.

"How much do you make a week?" asked the judge.

"I have been offered $30, but would not take it because I would have to appear alone," she said with the wisdom of 19 years. "I make $15."

And then Grace, who is a comely girl, told the judge of how, as her parents wanted her no longer after she was 15, she had struck out for herself. She had done housework, and was making a success of it on the stage. In the end, as she expressed a desire to go home, but said in the same breath that she would not be welcome there, Mrs. Agness Odell of the Detention home was detailed to care for her and find her a home. Her parents live in Oklahoma.

With Aileen it was different. It developed that she was an impressionable girl. As her "sister" said:

""Mr. King was so influensive. He seemed to have Aileen hypnotized."

However, this could not serve as an excuse, Judge McCune being a non-believer in the occult.

It turned out that Mr. Clemm is at Braymer, Mo., where he has the management of a store. Mrs. Clemm expressed her disinclination to move to Braymer, preferring the city. In the end, choosing between rejoining her husband and having her daughter sent to Chillicothe, she voted for Braymer.


The mother and foster mother got a scolding from the judge for dressing the girls, one in vivid blue and her own child in bright red.

"Red always was so becoming to her," she pleaded. The judge was obdurate in favor of quiet tones for dress.

Up to this point the hearing had progressed quietly enough. But when it was announced that Mrs. King was about to appear, the sisters and Mrs. Clemm plainly were flustrated.

"I am afraid she will kill my child," said the mother in genuine alarm. "She has threatened to take her life."

So Mrs. King, a frail little woman, testified with an officer of the court at each side, ready to stop any offensive maneuvers. She said her husband was now tractable and providing for her, paying no more attention to the girl.

"I did say to the girl that 'when I get through with you you won't be such a pretty soubrette behind the footlights," she admitted, "but nothing more, Aileen dear."

When it was all over, Mrs. King thanked the court, thanked George M. Holt, deputy probation officer, thanked everybody, and went her way. As for King, who had sat all afternoon in the courtroom, he was not called nor did he linger after adjournment.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

September 2, 1908


But Before It Gets to Missouri There
Will Be a Hot Wave.

Straw hats may be out of season, but summer clothes will be entirely proper for four or five days more, as the weather bureau at Washington promises warmer weather. The temperature will rise during the next few days and hot weather can be looked for until the beginning of next week. About the first of the week there will be a barometric disturbance which will be followed by rains and cooler weather.

The first approach to winter will probably be felt by next Monday or Tuesday. A light frost will be noticeable in the North Central states and Missouri may have a touch of it in a part of the state.

Labels: ,

August 7, 1908


Coat and Hat of Newspaper Solicitor
Found on Bank of Blue.

Harry Taylor, a newspaper solicitor of 1514 Washington street, is thought by the police to have lost his life in the Blue river, near the Kansas City Southern railroad bridge, some time yesterday. A coat and hat which afterwards were identified by Mrs. Taylor were found on the river bank by a policeman. A bottle of phenol was found in one of the pockets. An effort is being made to find the body.

Labels: , , , , ,

July 15, 1908



Lure to the Lad That's Been Think-
ing of Soldiering -- Hard to
Recruit Without the

Now the marines will have to get a hump on themselves if they want to get the rookies. The new white duck uniforms for enlisted men and non-commissioned officers of army recruiting parties have now arrived. From 8 o'clock in the morning till 6 o'clock at night now there stands a man at the door of the second floor back, where the army recruits in Kansas City, stiff as a ramrod but under positive orders to look as cool and comfortable and well fed as possible. He is the lure for the man from the farm, the section, or the high school grad who has not found what he thought would chase him the moment he got his diploma, to-wit, a first class job.

The new uniform is as smart as anything put on the stage, and the stage is the only place people out here see uniforms outside of the regulation blue, which is liked, or the olive drab which is despised. The uniform for recruiting parties is of white duck, caps, tunic and trousers, four bellows pockets in the tunic with flaps held down by gilt buttons. The collar, shoulder and cap ornaments are all in gilt. While not fitting closely, the tunic fits snug, and is cut to the man's figure. No belt is worn. The uniform appeared here two days ago and was at once admired.

"We have it to do, sir," said one of the recruiting party. "It is all that can be done to keep the regiments nearly full now, and that has been managed only by increasing he pay. When the canteen was there it was no trick at all to get a time-expired man to take his three months' furlough and swear in again. But now there is no canteen and the man objects to going back to barracks.


"If he drinks only one glass of beer a day, an amount he can get along without, he cannot very well get along without the little chat and song that used to go on in the canteen. It is like hiring a man to live in a church to enlist him for garrison duty. So, to make the service a little more inviting they have issued this white uniform for recruiting parties."

The uniform is similar to the one issued bandsmen and worn by officers at mess. The men themselves do not like it very much.

"But it looks swagger," was submitted.

"At assembly, yes, but after a man has done a turn on this door for a couple of hours and wants to sit down, he has to be careful how he manages it. I'd give a chew of plug right now to lean back against the wall, on a box or anything else, and cross my feet. If I did these ducks would look like cold slaw. But it is a smart looking set of regimentals for this sort of work they are using it for now. Until recently the marines have had the best of the recruiting. Their uniform, very similar but not exactly like that worn by the army, has been regarded as the smartest. The marines tailors made better jobs of their work. The tailors of all of them have a knack of making the trousers too short, but the marines were no worse than the army for that fault.


They buttoned their blouses tighter and wore their caps just so, whereas the army , to show it was not proud, had a blase disregard for conventionalities, kept the blouse a bit free at the waist and never wore its hat twice on the same place. Now, however, at least so far as recruiting parties are concerned, there is to be the most rigorous enforcement of the regulations in relation to the uniforms.

The prospect who gets as far as the northwest corner of Eighth and Main will get to see the smartest white and gold uniform that ever a tenor in a modern musical comedy wore, and at the same time a man in blue. If he can be coaxed upstairs to see the captain he will see a man or two up there in the blue-drab uniform, the purpose being to show the prospective patriot how well he will be rigged out if only he will enlist and go to a post where between revielie and laps he will get 50 per cent of his time taken up in fatigue and drills, both of which are all right, and the other 50 per cent fretting because there is no place to go.

"They will have to do more than this if they want to get what the abolition of the canteen is driving away," was the summing up of one of the men in white duck yesterday.

Labels: ,

June 27, 1908



Recruitin Stations Everywhere and
Tight-Laced Doughboys Out
in Front to Lure on
the Rookies.

Will anybody go for a sodger? With a standing army of 60,000 to keep up and time-expired men not willing to go back to the cities, and the Philippines not big enough to keep up the strength to the peace footing.

Times are not what they used to be, and no longer is there slouching at the recruiting stations. It used to be, when the army was 30,000 strong, that to enlist a man had to go all the way to Fort Leavenworth. Now they have recruiting stations at rural free delivery towns and in cities like Kansas City they have regular barracks. Here the army recruits at Eighth and Main. It is easy to find. There will be a man standing in the doorway laced up to the last notch., with his blouse fitting like a directoire, his chevrons or re-enlistment stripes as bright as the day he got them and his cap just so. His belt is there and so are his gloves, and he is looking as comfortable and lazy and well dressed and well fed as it is possible to do on $18 a month and a captain on the next floor up threatening to send him back to the post for old guard fatigue if he as much as lets a single button go for comfort. The orders are to dress up and look smart and get the rookie. Yesterday's dispatches said that there are still other troubles ahead, and they are white belts.


"First thing we know," said one of the recruiting party yesterday, "we will have swagger sticks issued and ribbons on the caps. Then we will be all Tommy Atkinses an that will fix us."

"Will you like it" was asked.

"Nobody leaves the army on account of the uniform not being smart enough," was the answer.

Recruits are wanted, and the only way to get them fast enough to fill up the gaps caused by retirements is to pay as much as the treasury department can stand, now fixed at $18, and to dress the men as smartly as possible. The British methods are being adopted because Britain and this country have to depend upon volunteer enlistments. All other powers have conscripts.

The British, realizing that there is no inducement going into that army for the beggarly pay of about $8 a month in infantry and not much more in the artillery or cavalry, put their troops in the smartest uniforms that military tailors can design, and they are constantly changing them in order to give the men a change of dress. Trafalgar square, London, is the great recruiting station in London. Around the base of Nelson's monument there are to be seen recruiting sergeants from a score of regiments, all in full dress uniforms, with little streamers flying from their caps or shoulders signifying that they are recruiting officers.


They are picked for their smart appearance and are great successes at catching the love sick swain who realizes that if he had on a shell jacket, tight fitting trousers, spurs, leather gloves and a fatigue cap tipped over his right forehead he would stand a better chance than in overalls and clod hopping shoes, so he enlists. The uniform does it.

Since the march with the allied armies to Peking, American army tailors have been busy, and since the department has found it difficult to get enough men to keep the regiments up to their full strength, the recruiting officers have been ordered to get busy. So that accounts for the new orders which make the men at Eighth and Main do sentry-go at the door, dressed for guard mount, apparently standing there out of pride, but really because of the new orders to make the service look as inviting as possible from every point of view.

Labels: , , ,

June 26, 1908


In Recognition of His Bravery, the
Neighbors Give Him Clothes.

As a reward for his heroism in rescuing a little girl from drowning last Monday, Patsy Burrey, the 13-year-old son of Patrick Burkrey of 1956 Hallock avenue, Kansas City, Kas., was yesterday presented with a new suit of clothes by people living in the vicinity of Fifth street and New Jersey avenue.

While playing on the banks of Jersey creek near Fifth street, Anna Tate, an 8-year-old girl, fell into the water. Young Burkrey plunged in after her, grabbed her by one foot and pulled her out upon the bank. The rescue was witnessed by several men who were standing on the street above the creek. They look up a collection with which to reward the young hero.

Labels: , , ,

May 16, 1908


Filled with Good Clothing on G. W.
Tipton's Porch.

Neighbors of G. W. Tipton yesterday afternoon saved his home at 2002 Jefferson street from eing ransacked by a daylight burglar and gained a suitcase full of good clothes in the bargain. The family was away and a rear window being up attracted the attention of a neighbor next door.

That open window looked suspicious and they concluded to make an investigation. When sufficient force had been marshalled, a rapid flank movement was made on the house. Just as the self-appointed officers drew near the house a man was seen to leap from the open windown and make his escape through the alley. On the back porch he left a suit case filed with men's clothing -- of a good quality, too. The window had been pried open with a burglar's "jimmy." Nothing was taken from the house.

Labels: , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

The Son of Jesse James is Accused of a Train Robbery at Leeds ... Can he get a fair trial in Kansas City?
The Trial of Jesse James, Jr.

>>More KC Books<<

As an Amazon Associate this site may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory