Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

December 20, 1909



James G. Pogue, Who Says He Left
Lansing Prison in 1906, Tells
How He Lifted the

Because he could not bear to have his only sister lose her home which had been morgaged to assist in his defense, James G. Pogue in 1906 escaped from the Kansas state prison at Lansing for the purpose of working and saving his money in an effort to lift the mortgage. Having accomplished his purpose, and realizing that he would never be able to make a home for himself or live in peace with the grim threat of recapture constantly before him, Pogue yesterday morning declared his identity to two Kansas City, Kas., policemen, and expressed his desire to return to prison and suffer whatever penalty might be exacted by the law.


During the three years and more of his precarious freedom, Pogue has wandered over almost the whole of the United States. A coal miner, and accustomed to the hardest kind of labor, he worked unceasingly with one object in view of saving the home for his widowed sister. From the harvest fields in South Dakota to bridge building in Arkansas, the hunted man has traveled, but will all his hardships and the difficulty encountered in securing work he has never failed to send his remittance to his sister, Mrs. Ada Tieufel, Fourth street and Marion avenue, Leavenworth. In all, the erring brother has contributed something in excess of $950.

Pogue was convicted in the district court at Leavenworth in November, 1903, on a charge of grand larceny and sentenced to seven years in the state's prison. According to h is story, he was made a trusty and effected his escape on January 15, 1906. A diligent search failed to locate him, and in the circulars sent out from the prison since that time will be found the name and description of James G. Pogue.


After making his escape Pogue went to Hutchings, S. D., where he worked for Clyde Carpenter, a sheepman. Later he went to Arkansas and was employed as a trackman on the Kansas City Southern railroad. He had assumed the name of Mike O'Brien, and in his travels about the country went by that name. Returning from Arkansas, he again went to Dakota and worked for a farmer by the name of Jerry Files, near Spencer, S. D.

Three months ago he went to Pine Bluff, Ark., and was employed as pump tender by the Missouri Valley Bridge Company. While working there he recognized among his fellow laborers a man who had known him years ago in Leavenworth. the haunting fear which had followed him at all times after his escape from prison prompted him to quit his job at Pine Bluff because he feared that his old associate would recognize him. The determination to give himself up came as a result of frequent discussions with his sister on the subject.


He knew his desire to take a claim and prove up on it could not be realized with safety so long as he was an escaped convict. Saturday morning he arrived in Kansas City and determined to make himself known. In former years he had lived at 225 North James street, Kansas City, Kas., and the thought came to him that he would deliver himself up to Kansas officers. Early yesterday morning he disclosed his identity to Robert Hooper and Pres Younger, Kansas City, Kas., policemen. He was taken to No. 2. police station and locked up while the prison authorities at Lansing were notified. He probably will be taken this morning to the prison where he will be compelled to serve the remainder of his term.

"I am anxious to make a man of myself," said Pogue last night, as he looked through the bars of his cell at the police station. "I kind of wanted to stay free until after Christmas time, but it would only be putting it off, and the sooner I begin serving my time the sooner I will be able to walk about the streets without hiding my face every time a man passes.


"I am glad I got away and helped my sister to save her home, even if I do have to suffer additional time for it. You see I would have been out by this time if I had stayed and now I will have to stay three years or more. I used to drink quite a bit before I went wrong, and I lay most of my trouble to that, but since I went into the prison in December, 1903, I have never taken a drink of liquor.

"I want to serve my time and then take out a claim somewhere and make a man of myself. You see I am only 32 years old now, and that ain't too old for a man to begin to live as he ought, do you think so?"

Pogue's manner and conversation left the impression of sincerity, and his face sh owed signs of pleasure as he talked of his future prospects.

J. K. Codding, warden at the Kansas state prison said last night that his records at the prison showed Pogue to have broken his parole, and John Higgins, parole officer of the institution, probably will go to Kansas City, Kas., this morning to return with the prisoner.

Pogue's wife and 10-year-old daughter are now living in Leavenworth. His father, David Pogue, a retired merchant, he says, is living in Topeka.

Labels: , ,

December 10, 1909


Soldier, Fatally Wounded, Unable to
Make a Statement.

As the result of a fight between privates of Troop F, Fifteenth United States cavalry, which occurred at Twelfth and Central last night, Frank McFadden is at the general hospital with a knife wound below his heart which may prove fatal, and John Chrobel is suffering from a badly gashed back. George Pease, who is supposed to have done the stabbing, was arrested by Patrolman J. J. Lovell and is held at police headquarters.

McFadden was hurried to the emergency hospital. Dr. H. A. Pond, seeing that the man was probably fatally injured, sent for Assistant Prosecutor Norman Woodson. Further examination of the man showed that the vagus nerve had been injured, affecting the vocal chords and rendering him in capable of speech, and the prosecutor could take no statement.

The troops at Fort Leavenworth, where the Fifteenth cavalry is stationed, were paid off yesterday and McFaddden, Chrobel and Pease came to Kansas City together. They spent all day in the North end of town and were on the way to a theater when the quarrel occurred.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

November 25, 1909


Isaac Smith, Also Civil War Veteran,
Dies Alone.

Sitting in a chair, wrapped in a bed quilt, his head hanging over on his chest as if he had but fallen asleep, Isaac Smith, an old soldier and Missouri river navigator 76 years of age, was found dead in a room at 1820 Union avenue about 8 o'clock last night. The old man had been placed in the room about 10 a. m. by his son, William Smith, an employe of the Bemis Bag Company. the coroner said life appeared to have been extinct five or six hours . The body was sent to the Carroll-Davidson undertaking rooms, where an autopsy will be held later.

The son was taken in charge by an officer and taken to No. 2 police station where he made a statement. He said that his father's condition was such about 10 a. m. that he should not be on the street. In taking him to the room, which the old man previously occupied, he fell on the stairway, making a slight abrasion on the nose and causing the nose to bleed freely for a time.

Washing off the blood, the son said, he placed his father in the chair, covered him securely with the bed quilt and left. When he returned at 8 p. m. the old man was in the same position in which he had been left, but life had flown. The dead man had been an inmate of the National Soldiers' Home at Leavenworth, Kas. The coroner does not think an inquest will be necessary.

Labels: , , , , ,

November 6, 1909



Two Men From Across the River Re-
port Bagging Thirteen "Enour-
mous Specimens" and Give
Advice About Moon."

In all the flattering reports which F. D. Coburn has rendered this year in regard to Kansas crops, the 'possum has been entirely overlooked, and according to the most reliable information this juicy product of the Kansas forests is to be found in greater abundance this year than ever before.

In Wyandotte and Leavenworth counties the night hunters have gone 'possum mad and some lines of business in the area are at a standstill as a consequence of the overproduction.

Louis Haight, 628 Quindaro boulevard, and Frank Chandler, 2019 North Halleck avenue, Kansas City, Kas., came over to the Missouri side yesterday with the announcement that they had "bagged thirteen enormous 'possums since last Sunday." The largest specimen weighed seventeen pounds and the smallest of the lot tipped the scales at ten pounds.


Haight and Chandler have established a 'possum and coon camp on Indian creek, over the Leavenworth county line, and they report that the country is filling with 'possum hunters and that the sport was never better.

One of the season's new fads in Wyandotte county is the introduction of automobiles. In the old days the hunters went afoot or horseback, but last Sunday night there were fully a score of motor car parties searching the woods for 'possum and raccoon, according to Haight.

"It's too early for coons," said Haight. "That is, the ground is too dry and the dogs aren't able to track 'em yet. There is promise, however, that the coon crop will be as good as the 'possum."

Wyandotte county always has been a great field for the 'possum hunter, said Haight, who is skilled in this line, gives some timely advice:


The 'possum, for instance, walks in the night regardless of the conditions of the moon. A full moon never frightens the 'possum and he can be found on a bright night as well as on a dark night. A raccoon, he says, never shows his nose when the moon is shining, and therefore coon parties should be sure of the darkness before starting out.

There is a tax of $15 required from all non-resident hunters in Kansas, but according to Haight, and he is ably sounded in his opinion by Joseph Harlan, Wyandotte county's noted wolf and fox hunter, that the law doesn't apply to persons who hunt at night.

One of the gratifying features of 'possum hunting is that you do not need a gun. The dog smells out the 'pussum and trees him, the hunter shakes the tree and brings Mr. 'Possum to the ground and the dog nabs him. If the 'possum is a fighter, all the hunter has to do is to welt him over the head with a club.

Labels: , ,

November 6, 1909


Loaded Into Auto and Taken to Ban-
quet at the Elks' Club.

When the "Red Mill" company, which is to play at the Grand next week, came through Kansas City on its way to Leavenworth at 9 o'clock yesterday morning, seven of its members, consisting of the six children who appear as the Dutch kiddies and Jocko, the monkey, who has a place on the programme, were kidnaped for a few hours, loaded into the automobile of City Treasurer William Baehr, which was in waiting, and transported to the Elks' Club. There a breakfast was served, a separate table being provided for the monk. After breakfast the little show folk were shown the sights of the city.

The "Red Mill" company played at the Soldiers' home last night and the kiddies were there in time for the performance. The feature of their day's outing was a ride to Leavenworth in the motor car.

Labels: , , , , , ,

November 1, 1909



Sockless and Collarless, Makes His
Way to Lansing -- Sheriff Becker
of Wyandotte County Brings
Patrick Back.

LEAVENWORTH, KAS., Oct. 31. -- Patrick McMahon, accompanied by Dr. J. W. Palmer of Wolcott, Kas., walked into the state prison at Lansing today and astonished the warden by announcing that he had come to get his brother, James, for the purpose of taking him home to fatten him up.

The warden saw that the man was evidently crazy and treated him accordingly, humoring him as much as possible, yet firmly declining to let him see James.

He telephoned Sheriff Al Becker, of Wyandotte county, to come up for Patrick, and this afternoon Becker arrived and after some argument persuaded McMahon to accompany him to Kansas City.

McMahon had on no stockings and no collar when he came to the prison today. Dr. Palmer said that McMahon came to his house before noon and walking in demanded water. Dr. Palmer did not know him, and handed him a big dipper of water. McMahon in his eagerness spilled the water all over himself. He drank nearly a gallon as fast as it could be handed to him.

He insisted on having Dr. Palmer accompany him to Lansing, stating that he became uneasy about Jim and rode over to Brenner Heights this morning and took a car to Wolcott.

When Dr. Palmer found out who the man was he became interested, and asked him point blank if he wanted to see Jim, for the purpose of warning him against saying anything. McMahon confusedly denied this intention, saying he feared for his brother's health, and knew the warden would let him take Jim home.

McMahon ate a tremendous dinner at the prison. He has all the appearance of a man laboring under a terrible mental strain. Jim McMahon is quite settled, and talks to the warden every time the latter sees him. He doesn't like being put in an ordinary cell, and wants to be put back in the insane ward, where he was treated as a guest when first brought to the prison.

Sheriff Al Becker was first notified yesterday that McMahon was at Brenner Heights, west of Kansas City, Kas., and that he was alarming persons in that vicinity. A few minutes later a telephone call was received from Wolcott stating that the man was there and that a mob was forming. Before the sheriff could get men started after Pat another call was received to the effect that the Leavenworth county sheriff had taken charge of him, and that he was on his way to the state penitentiary at Lansing.

Sheriff Becker went to the penitentiary, where Pat was turned over to him. At the Wyandotte county jail upon his return to Kansas City, Kas., McMahon said that he had gotten a crazy idea into his head that he could go to the state prison and persuade the warden to release Jim.

He was detained until he had apparently recovered from the excitement under which he was laboring and was then permitted to go home.

Labels: , , , , ,

October 23, 1909



Inquest Develops That Slain Women
Were Alive at 5:30 P. M. Tues-
day -- Prosecutor to Let Guilty
"Sweat" Two Weeks.
Witnesses at the Coroner's Inquest of the Slain Wyandotte County Triple Murder Victims.
Click to Enlarge.

The coroner's inquest into the deaths of Alonzo R. Van Royen, his wife, Margaret Van Royen, and Mrs. Van Royen's sister, Rose McMahon, who were murdered at the Van Royen farm, west of Kansas City, Kas., last Tuesday, was continued for two weeks yesterday after County Attorney Joseph Taggart of Wyandotte county had examined James and Patrick McMahon, brothers of the dead girl; Dr. W. F. Fairbanks, who made the autopsy; Sheriff Al Becker and James Down, an uncle of the McMahon boys.

"I want this investigation to rest two weeks," said Mr. Taggart. "I want the persons who are guilty of this murder to have time to sweat. I believe there are circumstances in the affair that have not as yet been surmised. There has been a brutal and well planned crime committed, and I want the assistance of everyone in Wyandotte and Jackson counties in getting at the true facts in this case.


"I believe there were two persons actively concerned in this murder. The testimony of Dr. Fairbanks as to the powder burns on the breasts of both women leads me strongly to the belief that two guns were held close to those women, and that they were shot to death at the same time.. It is improbable that one man was holding the two weapons; it looks highly probable that two persons were each standing over the women and putting their lives out.

"There is not going to be any haste in this trial. It's a big case; a deep one, and a case, I believe, that will develop endless circumstances. The persons guilty of this crime are going to sweat, and they won't sweat in my office; they'll have to sweat at home."


That James McMahon saw his two sisters, Rose and Margaret, as late as 5:30 o'clock last Tuesday afternoon, that there was friction between Mrs. Van Royen and her mother to the extent that neither called at the other's home; that Patrick McMahon spoke to his brother-in-law, Van Royen, when he met him, but that he had never called at the little home of the Van Royen's until after the murder, that Patrick opposed his sister and her husband in their desire to move out of the farm -- a wish resented by Patrick McMahon -- were some of the incidents of the family life brought out in the testimony yesterday of James and Patrick McMahon.

It has been the understanding of the officials all along that there had been no accounting for the three victims of the tragedy after 2 o'clock Tuesday afternoon. At about that time Van Royen was seen to drive over the Reidy road into the valley of the stream which runs through the farm. He was bound for the place while he had been cutting dry wood, and from where, according to all evidence given, he never returned alive. The county attorney argues that Van Royen must have been murdered before 3 p. m., for he could have secured his load of wood and returned to the house within an hour. If Van Royen was murdered early in the afternoon, says the county attorney, and Margaret Van Royen and Rose McMahon were seen as late as 5:30 o'clock that same day what was the murderer doing in the meantime, and how long after 5:30 were the women slain?


The testimony of James McMahon that the women were alive at 5:30 explodes the theory that the much discussed wandering tramp committed the crime, for that person, according to a score of witnesses, was well beyond the Leavenworth city line at that hour.

The inquest will be resumed November 5.

The funeral of Van Royen, his wife and Rose McMahon will be held at 10 o'clock this morning, from the Church of the Blessed Sacrament in Chelsea Place. Three priests will officiate. Burial will be in St. John's cemetery.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

September 19, 1909



Mary Maloney and Ross Chamberlen
Marry in Leavenworth and Are
Unaware Parental Blessing
Awaits Them.

A very pretty romance attaches to the elopement and subsequent marriage yesterday of Miss May E. Maloney, a popular young woman of Kansas City, Kas., and Ross. H. Chamberlen, a newspaper reporter of that city. Although it has been generally understood among the more intimate friends of the young people that the question of marriage was not entirely foreign to their thoughts, the consensus of opinion seemed to be that they would wait until they were older.

For weeks Chamberlen and Miss Maloney waited for an opportune moment and yesterday the chance to slip away without being suspected by friends came. They intended to get married, come home and keep the secret until Christmas, at which time the parents of the bride and the many friends of both were to learn how well young folk can plan and retain a secret.


Fearing that license secured in Kansas City, Kas., would mean publicity, Mr. Chamberlen wrote a letter to the probate judge of Leavenworth county and at 3:15 o'clock yesterday afternoon the young couple boarded a Kansas City Western car and went to the court house in Leavenworth where the ceremony was performed. The bride had informed her mother, Mrs. C. F. Maloney, 273 North Seventh street, Kansas City, Kas., that she would not return home last night but would be with a young woman friend in Kansas City, mo. Mr. and Mrs. Chamberlen were in Leavenworth last night blissfully unconscious of the fact that their secret had been discovered.

When seen at their home at a late hour last night the parents of Mrs. Chamberlen were greatly surprised to learn of her marriage.

"I think she might have told me of her intentions," said the mother. "there was no reason why she should not have been married at home. I suppose like many other young girls she thought it would be more romantic to run away and get married. I am sure they must have intended to keep the marriage a secret for some time."


"I certainly am surprised, but it is too late to say anything now," was the comment of Mr. Maloney. "I have known Ross for a long time and they might just as well have been married at home, although I did not know they were thinking of taking such a step. A great success they made of keeping the matter a secret."

With the full knowledge that they will be welcomed not only by their parents but also by a host of friends who are eager to repay them for the attempted trick of keeping their marriage a secret, the young couple may now return to their home in Kansas City, Kas.

Labels: , ,

August 26, 1909


For Years Harry B. Taylor Was a
Well Known Band Man.

Harry B. Taylor, 32 years old, who was for years a drummer in Coleman's Military band in Kansas City, Kas., died yesterday morning in the state hospital for the insane at Osawatomie, Kas. The body will be brought to Fairweather & Baker's undertaking rooms in Kansas City, Kas., this morning. Burial will be in Leavenworth, Kas. He is survived by a sister, Esther, 15 years old.

Labels: , , , , , ,

August 4, 1909



Stepfather Locates Stolen Child,
Dressed in Girl's Clothing, on
Train -- Craft to Be

The alleged kidnaper of little 4-year-old Harry Jacobs, who was coaxed from the home of T. H. Jacobs, his "grandpa," 1508 Olive street, about 1 o'clock Monday afternoon, was so unsuccessful in covering up his tracks that the child was gone from home but seventeen hours. He was returned to his mother about 8 o'clock yesterday morning. As soon as Mrs. Jacobs heard a description of the suspected kidnaper she thought of her brother, Clarence M. Craft of St. Joseph, Mo. Little Harry had lived three years with Mrs. Frank M. Baker, mother of Mrs. Jacobs and Craft.


After the search in this city had been in vain, Harry Jacobs, the stolen boy's step-father, decided to leave for St. Joseph Monday evening. He wired for detectives to meet him at the train there at 11 p. m., intending to go to the home of the baby's grandmother, Mrs. Baker.

Soon after the train had left Leavenworth, Kas., Jacobs, suspecting that the kidnaper might have gone to that city by the electric line, started to walk through the train. In the coach immediately ahead of the one in which he had been sitting Jacobs saw Craft, Frank M. Baker, Craft's step-father, and the baby. Little Harry was dressed as a girl.

Jacobs approached and asked what was meant by spiriting the child away. He says Craft replied that it was none of his business as he was not the boy's father. As the train slowed up at the Union depot in St. Joseph, Jacobs says Craft attempted to escape with the child by running around the baggage room. He was caught and turned over to Detectives Parrott and Gordon of the St. Joseph police force.


"I saw that Craft was placed safely behind the bars," said Jacobs yesterday afternoon. "At the packing house I learned that Baker had been at work there at 1 o'clock Monday afternoon so he was released. He had gone to Leavenworth to meet Craft."

Jacobs asked that Craft be held. Yesterday he went before the prosecutor here and swore to a complaint charging kidnaping. Justice John B. Young issued the warrant which was turned over to Chief of Police Frank Snow with instructions to send a man to St. Joseph after the alleged kidnaper. Mrs. Jacobs, who was greatly alarmed over the absence of her child, says she will prosecute her brother.

In an attempt to learn where little Harry's clothes had been changed the boy was taken out yesterday morning by his step-father. He led the way through the alley in the rear of the house at 1508 Olive street, from whence he was taken, to Fifteenth street. When they reached the fountain at Fifteenth street and the Paseo, which little Harry calls "the flopping water," he stopped. He said that he was taken into a house near there which had a broken porch. His clothes were taken off and girl's apparel substituted.


After leaving the place, t he little boy said, his overalls, waist, etc. of which he had been divested, were wrapped in a piece of paper and thrown over a fence. The house could not be located. The child said several people were present when the shift was made. Candy and the promise of a long ride on the choo choo cars," is what lured the boy away from home.

Jacobs and the stolen boy's mother have not been married long. Mrs. Jacobs was first married in St. Joseph several years ago to Harry Burke from whom she was later divorced. For three years she left her child with her mother, who later married Frank M. Baker, a packing house carpenter. The grandmother and Baker became greatly attached to the child and did not want to give him up when the mother remarried. Jacobs is a cook.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

July 26, 1909



Johnny and Tommy, 10 and 8 Years
Old, Respectively, Had High
Time While Folks Had
Visions of Kidnaping.


Without permission of their respective parents, Johnny Sinclair, 10, and Tommy Beels, 8 years old, took a day off from home and spent the whole of Saturday night and Sunday in wandering about the towns and parks surrounding Kansas City, much to the consternation, grief and anxiety of their families.

When the boys were missed Saturday night it was learned that they had gone with an employe of Electric park. Mont Shirley, 29 years of age, who has a longing for the companionship of small boys, being evidenced by his having led other urchins on several days' tours of the surrounding country on previous occasions.

Johnny Sinclair is the only son of Aaron Sinclair, janitor of the Boston flats, 3808 Main street. Johnny's father gave him a dollar Saturday noon and told him to do what as he wanted with the money.


Barefooted and without his coat, Johnny looked up his younger friend, Tommy, youngest son of H. T. Beels, 107 East Thirty-ninth street, and proposed a trip to Electric park. Tommy was willing and thought it best not to go into the house for his hat and coat, for his mother might thwart their schemes. So the boys left the Beels home about 2 o'clock Saturday afternoon.

When 5 o'clock came Mrs. Beels missed her son. Within a few minutes, however, he telephoned his mother that they were at Electric park and were going to take a boat ride with a man whom they had found congenial. Mrs. Beels told the boy to come home immediately.

Tommy had other views in the matter and when Shirley suggested an extensive tour of the city, to include Kansas City, Kas., Lansing, Leavenworth, Forest, Fairmount, Swope and Budd parks and all at his own expense, the boy readily fell in with the plan. Mothers were not interviewed.

Dire thoughts of drowning, kidnaping and disaster beset Mrs. Beels when her boy did not materialize at supper time. Persons in charge of the park were questioned and it was learned that the two boys had gone away from the park with Shirley. None knew where.


Mrs. Beels, at midnight, went to the Sinclair home and inquired there for her son and learned that Johnny Sinclair was also missing. That was the first idea of Johnny's whereabouts which the Sinclairs had. Search parties were organized and the park secured.

Yesterday morning a young man went to the Sinclair home and told that he had seen the two boys and Shirley at the Union depot and that they were going to St. Joseph and H. L. Ashton, a friend of the Beels family, who is well acquainted with the mayor of that city, called him over long distance 'phone and had the town searched for the runaways. Then came a telegram that the three had been seen early Sunday in Leavenworth.

Meanwhile Mrs. Sinclair and Mrs. Beels were beside themselves with fear and anxiety for their children. They secured the promise of the park authorities to drag the lake in the park this morning, and the search for the missing increased in strength and vigilance each hour.

Shirley's family had been notified of the disappearance, and Charles J. Blevins, Shirley's brother-in-law, hastened to Leavenworth, hot on the trail. He returned empty-handed.


About 11 o'clock last night the boys returned home, dusty, wet and tired. They had a wonderful story to tell of their trip and adventures. They had been through every park in the city, and seen the National cemetery and Soldiers' home at Leavenworth from a car and had a jolly time in general. Saturday night was spent in Kansas City, so Tommy Beels says, and the three went to a rooming house. He did not know the location. Late last night Shirley gave the two boys their carfare and put them on a Rockhill car at Eighth and Walnut streets and left them.

Shirley is said to have a habit of giving young boys a good time at his own expense. Two years ago, it is claimed, he took two boys to Leavenworth and stayed there for three days, after which the boys returned safe and sound.

Shirley works in the park and every Saturday he has been in the habit of spending his week's wages upon some boys whom he might meet. His brother-in-0law, Mr. Blevins, said that Shirley is nothing but a boy himself. When he was 4 years of age, according to relatives, Shirley fell upon his head, and he has remained stunted, mentally, ever since. Shirley longs for the companionship of children, and he is attractive to them since he plays with them and talks with them as though he were 9 rather than 29 years of age.


Johnny Sinclair, nervous, excited, scared and tired, last night told a clear and fairly consistent story of how Shirley and Tommy Beels and he passed the time between Saturday at 2 p. m. and 11 o'clock last night, when the boys returned home.

In the main details Johnny clung to his story. He fell asleep while being questioned by his father, and that ended the questioning. In substance, he says:

"Shirley invited Tommy and me to go to Swope park, while were were at Electric park, where he was working. We went to Swope park with him and in the evening we went down town and went to several nickel shows.

"Then we went out to Swope park again, but late that night. Shirley wanted to go down town to cash a check. When we got down town the saloons were all closed, and we finally went to bed at a place near Eighth and Main streets.


"The next morning we had a nice breakfast of beefsteak and potatoes and coffee, and then we went over to Kansas City, Kas., and there we took a car for Leavenworth. We saw the penitentiary and the Soldiers' Home from the car, and the National cemetery, but we didn't stop there.

We went to Leavenworth and spent the time just running around. That's all we did. I was never there before, and it was fun. We had a dinner of bologna sausage and cheese, and about 8 o'clock we started for home."

Besides the fright which was occasioned the two families of the boys no harm was done, except one of the boys was forced to take a hot bath and swallow a dose of quinine after he reached home. Johnny's original $1, which started the trouble, remains intact. Shirley stood the expense on his pay of $12, which he drew from the park on Saturday afternoon.

Shirley lives one block southeast of the park.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

July 6, 1909



Pioneers Hear of Kansas City's Pre-
carious Situation During Price
Raid -- Purchase of Shaw-
nee Mission Proposed.

The battle of Westport was lived over again by a hundred of the city's oldest inhabitants comprising what is now known as the Historical Society at the old Wornall homestead at Sixty-first street and the Wornall road yesterday.

The occasion was a basket picnic of the society and the object was no more than to celebrate the nation's birthday but so many could recall the time when the Wornall mansion was a hospital and and the cottonwoods around the premises were split and riven in battle that the names of Price, Mulligan and Curtis came easy, and many a gray headed veteran leaned eagerly forward in his seat while the speakers marshaled before them the contending armies.

"It was this way," said Judge John C. Gage, who was a participant in the battle. "General Price driven from behind by the Federal forces left Independence, Mo., and crossed the Blue. It was a serious moment for Kansas City for General Curtis left the town unprotected and crossed over to Wyandotte to his headquarters. For a whole night the city was practically at the mercy of the Confederates.

"It was a good thing the Confederates did not know of this movement of Curtis. By the next day he had returned and when the battle occurred Curtis was on hand and fought like a tiger."

Several of the old residents who were present had never heard of the incident referred to by Judge Gage. Others who were participants on one side or the other remembered it distinctly.


"Very little has been said of Curtis's desertion of Kansas City at this time," said the judge after his speech to some of those who had never heard. "It was an incident quickly closed by the prompt return of the federal forces from across the Kaw. You see General Curtis at first believed it might be more important to protect Fort Leavenworth than the city. When he discovered how small a force General Price had and that he was practically running away from federal pressure behind he changed his mind. He was no coward and his retrograde movement was merely misplaced strategy."

Other speakers were Judge John B. Stone, ex-Confederate soldier; Mrs. Laura Coates Reed, Hon. D. C. Allen of Liberty, Mo., Miss Elizabeth B. Gentry, Mrs. Henry N. Ess, William Z. Hickman and Dr. W. L. Campbell. Frank C. Wornall read the Declaration of Independence and Mrs. Dr. Allan Porter read a selection entitled "Two Volunteers." The meeting of the society was presided over by Dr. Campbell, who also introduced the speakers.

A proposition was made by Mrs. Laura Coates Reed to the effect that the society purchase the old Shawnee mission in Johnson county, Kas., for a historical museum to be used jointly by the D. A. R. society and the Historical Society. Mrs. Reed's remarks along this line were seconded by those of Mrs. Henry Ess.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

June 24, 1909


Gen. Garcia, Cuban Minister, Tells
of Island's Excellent Highways.

General Carlos Garcia-Velez, minister from Cuba to the United States, who is in Kansas City to promote a reciprocity sentiment in the West, said last night that Cuba boasted of more than 1,300 miles of the most excellent macadam roads in the world.

"We use crushed coral in our roads in Cuba," said he, "and there is no better medium for road building known. It is practically impervious to water, and when rolled smooth preserves for many years its continuity. Our government has expended $15,000,000 in the past three years in this kind of improvement, and will continue until we have a perfect system of roads.

General Garcia and Colonel Charles Hernandez, who is also in the Cuban government service, will go to Fort Leavenworth today, as guests of Brigadier General Frederick Funston. General Funston was in the Cuban service before he entered the army of the United States.

Labels: ,

May 31, 1909



End Comes to Noted Musician, Who
for Many Years Was Musical
Director at Leavenworth
Soldiers' Home.

Pedro C. Meyrelles, the bandmaster who accompanied General U. S. Grant around the world, who led Patti's orchestra for ten years, long musical director of the Leavenworth Soldiers' home and once one of the most distinguished musicians and conductors in this country, died yesterday morning at his hime, 2321 Harrison street, after a protracted illness.

Mr. Meyrelles was born of a family of musicians in Oporto, Portugal. He first began the systematic study of music at the age of 11. when a young man he graduated from the best musical school in Lisbon and at 28 came to America.


He landed in Boston, where he gave lessons. When a bandmaster was wanted to accompany General U. S. Grant in his triumphal tour around the world. Meyrelles was honored with the position. He was enlisted in the army for three years and was made a first lieutenant in order to accept this post. The king of Portugal himself decorated Meyrelles with a medal and the empress of China had him to sup with her and afterwards gave him a decoration.

When the trip was over Meyrelles found himself a national figure. Upon his return to Boston he was chosen by Patti to lead her orchestra and remained with the great singer for ten years, making two trips abroad with her. It was at this time that Meyrelles met the woman who afterwards became his wife. She was Miss Georgia Follensbee, a member of an old Boston family and a singer in Patti's company.

They were in the company together for several years, but it was not until twenty-one years ago that they were married. The event occurred immediately after Meyrelles left Patti's company to accept a governor appointment as director of music at the Soldiers' home, Leavenworth, Kas. Meyrelles remained in this position until May 20 of last year, when his failing health made it necessary for him to retire.


Meyrelles, besides being a master of every musical instrument played in either band or orchestra, was a composer of many well known pieces. His arrangement of the Stabat Mater is a classic and his "Governor Owen's March" is still widely used. In addition he composed all the music used in the Priests of Pallas festivals for the last five years and all used in the Kansas building at the Louisiana Purchase exposition. For his own use, his favorite instrument was the clarinet.

Meyrelles was a Mason, a member of the B. P. O. E. and the Theatrical Mechanical Association. A Roman Catholic by training and practice for many years, he had fallen away from his faith, but in his last hours he asked for a priest and was given the rites of the church. The cause of his death was principally heart trouble.

The body will be taken to the Old Soldiers' home near Leavenworth and will be given military burial tomorrow.

He leaves a widow.

Labels: , , , , ,

May 4, 1909


Other Penalties Assessed by United
States Court.

In the federal court yesterday Charles L. King was sentenced to two years in the Leavenworth prison and fined $100 and costs for counterfeiting. Mary Cook, his accomplice, was fined $100 and sentenced to the Jackson county jail for four months.

Herbert H . Ready and A. F. Brooker were fined $100 and costs each on charges of using the mails to defraud, and Harry J. Egan was fined $50 and costs on a similar charge.

Sam Nigro was fined $10 and costs for retailing liquor without a license. The case against his wife was dismissed.

Labels: , , ,

May 2, 1909


General Morton Tells of Valor at
Army Officers' Banquet.

What is said to have been the largest gathering of army officers, graduates of West Point, away from the academy itself, was held at the Hotel Baltimore last night when nearly 100 officers assembled in the ball room at the first of a series of annual banquets to be given in Kansas City. Brigadier General Charles A. Morton of Omaha, commander of the department of the Missouri, was the presiding officer.

General Morton, in response to the toast, "The Army," said that the valor of the American army on the field of battle had never been questioned and that its efficiency and strength has only been made possible by its superiority. The general spoke of the condition of the army today and declared that its increase had never been in proportion to the increase of the population of the country.

Following General Morton, Mayor Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., welcomed the officers and their guests to Kansas City. The mayor extended to them the usual courtesies and promised immunity from arrest while within the corporate limits of the city.

The following toasts were responded to: "The Navy," Lieutenant R. S. Landis, U. S. N., and "Military Education by Captain H. A. White of the military school at Fort Leavenworth. "Our Dead" was a silent toast.

Brigadier General Frederick Funston, who was to have responded to the toast "West Point," was obliged to leave the banquet room early and was not heard. General Funston was the guest of honor. Other guests were: General Rambold, Colonel Loughborough and Colonel Lechtman.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

April 10, 1909


The Real Turning Point in the
Destiny of Kansas City, U. S. A.

To The Journal:

In the spring of 1866 Kansas City had a population of about 3,000. The community had not yet fully recovered from the disastrous effects of the civil war. The corporation was virtually bankrupt; city "scrip," issued to meet current expenses, sold for 50 cents on the dollar.

The sheriff had exhausted his powers in trying to find property on which to levy. He had sold the furniture out of the offices in city hall -- the city scales, and even part of the market square fronting on Main street. Many old timers can easily remember when a block of one and two-story houses extended from Fifth street to the old city hall, built upon sheriff's titles.

Leavenworth, which was Kansas City's great rival, had at that time about 20,000 population and was really the"City of the West," with bright prospects, good credit and large numbers of very wealthy, public-spirited citizens.

No wonder disinterested observers saw little chance for Kansas City. but with that little chance a great opportunity preceded and followed by a fortuitous chain of events, which changed destiny. Both cities had already (before the civil war) expended considerable sums in efforts to obtain rail connection with Cameron station, about fifty miles distant, on the Hannibal & St. Joseph railroad.

During the previous session of the Missouri legislature, Kansas City had the good fortune to be represented by Colonel R. T. Van Horn, M. J. Payne and E. M. McGee, who, by their untiring industry and perseverance, and in the face of sharp opposition, secured the passage of the necessary legislation for a bridge and branch railroad.

Colonel Charles E. Kearney (who had recently returned to Kansas City from New York city, where he had engaged in the banking business, and where he had made wide acquaintance among financiers and other business men all over the United States), was made president the company , and devoted his entire time and energy until all was successfully completed.

In the meantime Colonel Van Horn had been elected to congress and was then in Washington, where he was well favorably known, and succeeded in getting such legislation as was requisite.

Colonel Van Horn was ably assisted by Colonel Kersey Coates, who was a warm personal friend of Hon. Thaddeus Stevens, who, at that time, was the recognized leader of the Republican party. Mr. Stevens, on many occasions during his career, at the insistence of Colonel Coates, had used his influence and good offices in promoting and guarding the interests of Kansas City.

On the 8th of May a public meeting was held in the city hall for the purpose of providing funds to aid the enterprise. At that meeting $60,000 in cash was raised and the city council turned over $23,000 in notes of the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company, given for the right of way of that road along the levee.

This fund became the guarantee on the part of Kansas City on going into the contract for the building of bridge and road.

Immediately after that meeting Messrs. Kearney, Case and Coates began active negotiations in Boston, New York and Detroit. The negotiations had to be conducted with great secrecy --the Leavenworth delegations were continually met, the newspapers and public men of St. Louis did everything in their power to advance, aid and assist the interests of Leavenworth and to hinder, thwart and ridicule the efforts of Kansas City.

On May 24th public announcement was made that the contract had been executed by Hon. James F. Joy of Detroit on behalf of the railroads.

From that day the tide turned in favor of Kansas City, and when the bridge was completed, some three years later, the Kansas City branch became the main line.

Many of the subscribers to this historic fund have been classed as "old fogies," and wanting in public spirit. Others were considered visionary, theoretical, impractical, but all came nobly to the front of this supreme occasion and laid the foundation that makes present conditions possible.

"They built it better than they knew."

The city afterwards, when authority had been obtained, and arrangements made for a bond issue, refunded in full the amount paid by the subscribers.

April 8, 1909

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

March 31, 1909



Father's Habeas Corpus Proceedings
Call Out All the Skeletons From
the Family Closet -- "Checkers"
Incident Again.


While the lad about whom there was all the fuss tried to pick the spectacles from the nose of his chaperon, the battle for his possession went briskly on between Theodore C. Thomas, the father, and Mrs. Agnes Boss Thomas, the mother. After five hours of hearing testimony little had been accomplished when court adjourned last night and the indications are that the case may take longer than today.

If there are any skeletons left in the Thomas family closet it will take a vacuum cleaner to find them, for the married life of the parents, now divorced, was gone into in great detail.

The Thomases were divorced three years ago, the husband securing the decree and the custody of the child., except for one month each year. On September 25, 1908, Mrs. Thomas took the child from the Oak street school in Leavenworth, brought him to Kansas City, and has since had him at the home of her mother, Mrs. Annie Boss, 113 East Thirty-fourth street. The father brought habeas corpus proceedings in the circuit court to gain possession of the boy, who is constantly referred to by his mother as "Tito." It is on this application that the hearing is now being had.

For the husband the court records were introduced as his case. Mrs. Thomas's attorney demurred, but were overruled and the introduction of testimony for the wife began.


Frank P. Walsh, the first witness, testified as for her good character. Then Mrs. Thomas was put on the stand and for four hours was pelted with questions. Her cross-examination will be resumed this morning.

Mrs. Thomas, who is of the Mrs. Leslie Carter type as to features and bearing, although a brunette, proved a quick and alert witness. She seemed a match for the attorneys.

Mrs. Thomas admitted that she attended one of the parties given at the Humes house. She said there was a Dutch lunch and a jolly time, but that she did not go again. She denied that there was anything out of the way the night she was at the Humeses. The others at the party nicknamed her "Checker," she said.


Thomas, according to the wife's testimony, kept a hotel at Cleveland. The wife said he was intemperate and that she largely supported him. She mentioned alleged indignities at the hotel. In 1906 she sued for divorce, but before the case came to trial she decided to go to Europe, and understood, so she said, that the divorce matter was to be held in abeyance. When she returned, however, she said she was told by Thomas that he had secured a divorce on a cross-bill, and also the boy. She said she knew nothing of the trial of the divorce case until that time.

"I finally left Cleveland and came to Kansas City, because Mr. Thomas threatened to kill me if I did not leave the child and go away," she testified.

Further, Mrs. Thomas said her husband again asked her to marry him, but that she would have nothing to do with a reconciliation. She testified that she had the boy in her possession for a month during both 1906 and the succeeding year, the time being October. As to her ex-mother-in-law, she said every effort was being made to alienate the affections of the child from her.

There yet remain many witnesses to be heard. Judge Slover is giving attorneys wide scope in bringing out testimony.

Labels: , , , , ,

March 25, 1909


Captain Williams Had Been an In-
valid for Two Years.

Captain W. J. Williams, a veteran of the civil war, for forty years a resident of Kansas City, Kas., died yesterday at St. Margaret's hospital from the effects of an operation. He was 73 years old and had been practically an invalid for the past two years.

Captain Williams was born in North Carolina and at the age of 19 years ran away from home and joined the regular army at Leavenworth for the sole purpose of going with the troops to attack Brigham Young at Salt Lake City. His company was among the forces dispatched to the Mormon capital, but before much of the journey had been accomplished war was declared between the North and South and the westbound troops were recalled to Fort Leavenworth and sent South. Captain Williams was engaged in the battle of Wilson creek.

Of a family of five children, Captain Williams is survived by one son, Frank Williams, a former member of the Kansas City, Kas., police force. His wife died eight months ago. He lived at 193 South Pyle street. Funeral arrangements have not been made.

Labels: , , , , ,

March 23, 1909


Australian Military Official Vis-
iting American Posts.

The military of Australia is to be conducted in some respects like that of the United States, and for the purpose of getting ideas to use in the Antipodes. Major General John C. Hoad, inspector general of the commonwealth of Australia, is visiting United States army posts where service schools are maintained.

Major Hoad was in Kansas City yesterday morning on his way from Leavenworth to Fort Riley. He has visited all the principal forts in the Eastern states and will end his trip with a visit to the Presidio of San Francisco.

Labels: , , ,

February 11, 1909



"Hello, Jim," Said Emmet Dalton to
J. H. Knapp, "Glad I Didn't
Hit You That Time
at Vinita."

Two men who parted ten years ago with murder in their hearts after keeping up a running fire with Winchesters, met on the tanbark of the Rhoda Royal circus last night and one of them, Emmett Dalton, formerly one of the notorious Dalton gang of bank robbers, extended his hand to the other and said:

"Hello, Jim. Glad I didn't hit you that time down at Vinita."

The other man, dressed in the fez of a Shriner and evening clothes, turned and looked at the man who addressed him but did not recognize in the sombrero topped circus rider before him the fleeing desperado who had turned in his saddle ten years before on the Oklahoma plain and so nearly snuffed out his life with a bullet. Dalton introduced himself and the other, J. H. Knapp, president of Knapp Construction Company, grasped the hand of the brown skinned man in his own.

"And I'm glad I didn't hit you," he said.

For half an hour the men stood there talking, and parted friends.

Emmet Dalton is the youngest of the old Dalton gang. Knapp was at that time a special officer for the Wells-Fargo Express Company. While chasing the Dalton brothers the incident occurred which both remembered so clearly. They became separated from the others and Knapp took several shots at the fleeing outlaw, which the latter returned, but neither was hurt. Dalton's horse finally outstripped that of the officer and he got away.

Dalton is with the 101 Ranch Wild West show and is taking part in the Rhoda Royal exhibition to keep in training in the winter. He was released from Leavenworth prison three years ago, where he served seven years.

Labels: , , , ,

February 2, 1909



Clothing Firm Carried Insurance of
$100,000 -- Plan Seven-Story
Steel Structure to Replace
Burned Building.
Rothschild's Corner is Gutted By Fire.


Rothschild & Sons.........$120,000
A. A. Pearson, building and stock.......$1,000
A. D. Mitchell, photographer....$100
Dr. He Ly Yuen......$50
Damage to building......#30,000

Insurance, $131,000

Property valued at $150,000 was destroyed by a fire which started in the basement of the old three-story brick building at the southwest corner of Tenth and Main streets at 9 o'clock last night.

The entire stock of Rothschild & Sons, clothiers, valued at $120,000, was practically ruined; the building, owned jointly by J. S. Loose and the Soden estate, and valued at $30,000, was gutted, and its walls will have to be torn down; the Mitchell studio, on the third floor in the north wing of the building, was destroyed, and the outfit of Dr. Ho Ly Yeun, a Chinese physician, went with the flames.

A. A. Pearson's millinery stock at 1010 Main street was also slightly damaged by water.

It was one of the quickest and most ferocious fires that the Kansas City department has ever had to combat. The alarm came in from three sources at 9:05 o'clock. It was five minutes before the first fire engine arrived. The fire, first sighted on the third floor, near the elevator shaft, quickly ate its way to the lower floor, and before the firemen had started water on the building the inside of the clothing store was enwrapped in flames.


A general alarm was turned in, but the fire had gained such headway that the Chief Egner's men found that they could do nothing but confine the flames to the one building. That poor water pressure hampered the earlier efforts of the firemen is attested by persons who were on the ground when the flames were discovered. R. J. Quarles, a retired banker, who was at the scene, says that it was fully five minutes before a company arrived, and that it was another five minutes before water was thrown into the building, and then only a weak stream.

The only accident recorded was a minor one, Chief J. F. Pelletier of the insurance patrol running a sliver into his right hand while directing his men inside the Rothschild store.


Members of hose companies Nos. 4, 5 and 6, were on the roof of the building when the structure began to creak, and Chief Egner ordered them to move to the next roof. His order was given none too soon, for a minute later the roof fell in.

Thousands gathered to witness the spectacle, and several hundred went home with clothing thoroughly drenched. A hose attached to an engine in front of the United cigar store, at the northwest corner of Tenth and Main streets, burst suddenly , and a score of persons standing in front of the cigar shop were soaked with water.

Twenty-one fire companies lent their efforts toward putting down the flames, but with this force it was long after midnight before the fire was completely under control.


Rothschild & Sons carried $100,000 insurance on their stock, and Frank Ferguson of the insurance firm of Ferguson & Taft, sitting in his office in the Dwight building, Tenth and Baltimore, saw the flames and was one of the men to turn in an alarm. U. B. Hart, a Pinkerton patrolman, turned in an alarm about the same time as did John W. Schroeder, bookkeeper for Rothschild's, who was in the store.

Louis P. Rothschild, resident member of the firm, says that they had only recently reduced their insurance policies now aggregating about $100,000. The Mitchell Studio was fully protected.

Rothschild & Sons had a ninety-nine year lease on the Soden property, and sublet to the other tenants. The clothing store occupied the three floors of what was known as the old building, 1000 and 1008 Main street, and the first floor of the corner building.


Originally the old building, fronting fifty-two feet on Main street, was two stories in height. This building was erected by J. S. Loose. The adjoining building at the corner had a frontage of twenty-three feet on Main street, and was erected by the late Peter Soden. The two buildings were remodeled into a sort of a combination structure and a third story added.

Louis P. Rothschild said his firm had contemplated razing the building at an early date, and erecting a steel structure in its place. This idea will now be carried out, the plans providing for a seven-story building, to cost $200,000.

The safe containing $3,000 in cash, as well as all the books and records of the Rothschild firm, was unharmed.

The firm of Rothschild & Sons was established in Fort Leavenworth fifty-five years ago, and last night's fire was the first in the history of the firm. They moved to Kansas City in 1901.

Labels: , , , , , ,

December 25, 1908



Dropping Down the Vista of Years,
a Decade at a Time, the Festal
Day Is Reviewed - A
Mayor's Charity.

Kansas City is notable for its Christmas weather. The records show that it is ten to one there will be clear skies on Christmas day. In 1858, a half a century ago, the day was a duplicate of today, "though," says the Journal of 1858, known then as the "Western Journal of Commerce," the weather sometimes froze at night and thawed at daytime, and then sometimes it was vice versa."

Kansas City was not much of a town in 1858, for The Journal had some important city news that Christmas morning. It announced that Delaware street had been "filled" from Third "all the way to Commercial street." That morning there was a fight on the hill. The hill was Third and Main. As the city proper lay along the river front, the hill was quite on the outskirts and just the sort of a place for the hoodlums to mix it up.

Others "mixed it up" besides the hoodlum. The Leavenworth Journal took a nasty fling at this place when it said in its current issue:

"The people of Kansas City are so dirty the assessor classifies them as real estate and they have to pay taxes."

The editor of the Kansas City Journal was on his metal in a minute.

"If the assessor of Leavenworth," was said in the Journal of Christmas day, 1858, "has yet waited upon the editor of the Leavenworth Journal, we would like to know what he estimates asses at."

"The curtain at the theater at Independence dropped sine die last night," is a local item. Independence never got over the closing of its theater. It, and Westport, had scoffed at Westport Landing, and laughed outright when it took on the high falutin' name of City of Kansas. But the City of Kansas opened up an opera house of its own and the one at Independence had to turn the lights out, and the janitor with them.


"We find it difficult," said The Journal that same Christmas morning, "to convince our readers that we are really in receipt of dispatches of the day previous from St. Louis and the East, but we are, and shortly we will be in telegraphic touch with all parts of the United States," and later on in the report has it that wire was expected by every steamboat for the opening of a telegraph office in Kansas City.

Having no telegraph wires, and certainly no trains, the city had to depend upon the overland stages and river boats for the mails. That morning the mails arrived from Salt Lake, after a phenomenally good winter run. They had left Salt Lake November 29. The trip had been without incident, though a large party of Cheyenne Indians had been passed.

Christmas day ten years later, 1868, saw Kansas City quite prosperous. It had eleven trains in and out every day. President Johnson the day before proclaimed full amnesty to all who had taken part in the war of the rebellion, whether they had been indicted or not. "It is supposed to be issued to enable the supreme court to dodge trying Jeff Davis," was the comment of The Journal, and the editor did not like the prospect a bit. He wanted Mr. Davis tried for treason.


Showing how the town was growing, one of the most important local stories was of an improvement:

"Cassidy Brothers have a new bus for their Westport line. It is one of the gaudiest institutions of the city."

The fame of that bus lasted until the father of Walton H. and Conway F. Holmes started tram cars, by building a suburban line to couple Kansas City with Westport.

For the first time The Journal made note of the festivities in the churches. The Grand Avenue M. E. church, known as the mother of churches, was reported as having been crowded with members of the Sunday school and congregation to watch the unloading of a Christmas tree. At Westport the Rev. W. W. Duncan had a tree in his church, too.

Besides Christmas trees there were "oceans of egg nog" in town, according to the report that day, and a grand dinner was given at the Sheridan house, "A. C. Dawes, agent of the Hannibal & St. Joseph," being one of the guests, they had "whisky a la smash up," among other things. Ex-Governor Miller attended that dinner and made a speech. At the dinner it was announced that the steamboat Hattie Weller had brought 500 fine hogs up "for the packing houses in the West Bottoms."

D. L. Shouse, father of Manager Louis Shouse of Convention hall, was publicly presented with a gold badge, because of his great services in the Mechanics' bank.


Dr. G. W. Fitzpatrick may have forgotten all about it, but The Journal of thirty years ago yesterday announced his having gone to St. Joseph for the day. In late years, Dr. Fitzpatrick has lived a retired life, but he was quite a figure in local affairs in his day. He always led the parades. An abstemious man himself, he always started his parades from Sixth and Broadway "because," so he used to say, "it is the only point in the city where there is a saloon on each corner."

It was very cold that Christmas. "The hydra gyrum dropped to 8 degrees below zero," so The Journal tells. Trains were from half a day to all day late and the storm was all over the North and Northwest. Great attention was paid by The Journal to the railroad construction work, and an item appearing that morning, Christmas, 1878, is interesting now because it says that the M. K. & T. had agreed to build from Paola to Ottawa if the people would raise$50,000 bonus and grant a free right-of-way.


George M. Shelley, at present assessor and collector of water rates, was mayor, and as mayor in 1878 he did what Mayor T. T. Crittenden, Jr., is doing today. He distributed gifts to the poor. To ninety-one families in the First ward, fifty-four in the Second, fifty-nine in the Third, twenty-nine in the Fourth, fifty-five in the Fifth and thirty-four in the Sixth his honor gave orders for provision. Three hundred and sixty-seven individuals and firms -- names all printed in The Journal -- donated money or groceries, and by this means the poor were taken care of.

One man, traveling through the city, told Mayor Shelley he was comfortably provided for but for the moment without money. He was anxious to do something for some poor fellow so he turned his $25 overcoat over to the may or, and his honor soon had it on the back of a man who needed it. The generous traveler refused to give his name to Mayor Shelley.

Kansas City, Kas., was Wyandotte in those days, and Christmas was celebrated there evidently, for an item from that place reads:

"The colored Society of the Daughters of Rebecca had a festival in Dunnings's hall yesterday. Two hens got in a fight. A knife was flourished, but no blood was drawn."


At Grace Episcopal, Washington Street Tabernacle, the First Congregational and the Grand Avenue M. E. church there were Christmas trees and festivities.

Christmas day, 1888, saw Father Glennon preaching at special services at the Catholic cathedral. Father Lillis officiating at St. Patricks, and the Rev. Cameron Mann in the chancel at Grace church. Since then all these clergymen have been elevated. Dr. Mann and Father Lillis to be bishops, and Father Glennon to be archbishop; Bishop Talbot, that same day, preached at Trinity, of which church his brother, Robert, is the rector. Dr. Robert Talbot would have been a high bishop himself by this time only for the fact that Episcopalians think one bishop in a family is enough.

That Christmas day was a dreary one. It rained most of the time, at night the downpour turning to sleet. Over 100 telegraph poles were broken down, and almost every wire in the city snapped under the weight of the ice.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

November 23, 1908


When Rulers Pass, in That "Rotten
Country of China."

In Arthur P. Spencer, sentenced for the fourth time to a penitentiary, this time to do eighteen months, the federal authorities at Fort Leavenworth have an exceptional prisoner. He is an American, born in China, who speaks Chinese in eight dialects and who lived in that country till he was 21 years old.

"And a rotten country it is," said Spencer when waiting in the federal court in Kansas City last Tuesday. "I see that the emperor and dowager are both dead. Most likely they are. They may have been dead a month. You never can tell over there."

"Did you ever see either of them?" Spencer was asked.

"Neither," he replied, "though I have been in the street when the chairs have been carried past. They make you back up and lie down on the ground as the chairs approach, so that the man in the street does not get a chance to see the faces of the rulers. One may look out of the windows of the houses, but I never happened to be in a house when the chairs came by.

"It is seldom that the emperor leaves the palace. The ring around him sees to that. The ring is so crooked it is hard to call it a ring. Its principal work is to keep the emperor from learning anything, so it surrounds him with superstition and keeps him locked up."

Spencer does not think much of the Chinese mandarins.

"They are all scoundrels," he said. "They could not be mandarins and not be. But the reform party is growing and one day there will be an end to the mandarin. The reformers in this country are to be known by their short hair. Some of the orthodox Chinese have their queues cut off, but not many. The reformers all have their hair cropped. Their headquarters are in the United States."

Explaining the "Six Companies," Spencer said there are six dialects in China, each of them difficult to understand. In order to facilitate business each dialect has a representative in a common company, from which cause the name grew.

Labels: ,

November 18, 1908


Chinese Interpreter Is Convicted on
Three Counts -- Admits He Is
Not Reardon.

Guilty on three counts, was the verdict returned by a jury yesterday in the United States court which had heard "Harry S. Reardon" conduct his own case, when he was tried for impersonating a government immigration inspector. "Reardon" was convicted on evidence furnished by Chinese witnesses, who accused him of obtaining money and endeavoring to get money from them by representing himself to be a government official.

When it was shown that he had been convicted a number of times and served time in different penal institutions, "Reardon" dramatically pointed his finger at a group of government immigration officers and, with tears streaming down his cheeks, exclaimed: "I am going to break the ice. I am Arthur P. Spencer. I have been in the penitentiary. They lie when they say I was convicted, because I always pleaded guilty."

Reardon conducted his own defense and was guilty of many blunders. In making this argument to the jury the Chinese linguist said: "This is part of a plot among the Chinese to get rid of me. They are suspicious of any white man that speaks their language. I have done no wrong in Kansas City and have been trying to live a straight life, as I gave my word to do. These charges are trumped up to get me away. I cannot get the truth out of these Chinamen, they have lied to you on this stand."

"Reardon" will be sentenced to the Leavenworth prison this morning.

Labels: , , , , ,

November 4, 1908



Restoration of the Missouri River to
the Map Fails to Impress
Voters as a Noteworthy

"I was elected because the whole Democratic ticket was elected. As I view it the improvement of the Missouri river issue had no effect apparently on my vote. It owuld seem from my majority that they can safely intrust legislation of that character to me." -- William P. Boreland

"The unusually large majorities given the entire Democratic ticket can be accepted as the cause for my defeat. It was a veritable landslide, and it naturally struck me with the rest of the candidates on the Republican ticket." -- E. C. Ellis

One of the surprises of the campaign was the election of W. P. Borland to congress from the Fifth Missouri district, Kansas City and Jackson county, over E. C. Ellis, Republican. The commendable and substantial services of Mr. Ellis in four different sessions of the house of representatives at Washington for the Missouri river improvements had made him a favorite with commercial, business and individual interests regardless of party affiliation. They considered him the best equipped to continue the work so auspiciously commenced. Besides, Mr. Ellis had the distinction of having defeated W. S. Cowherd and Judge William H. Wallace in previous campaigns, and either man was considered stronger with the voters than Mr. Borland.

Mr. Ellis made his campaign on his record of having restored the Missouri river to the map of federal consideration. He based his campaign on promises of secucring a large appropriation from the next congress to make the river navigable, and in view of his past successses along these lines it seemed to be the general opinion of business men that he should again be sent back to Washington. While Borland also said in his speeches that he was for the reclamation of the Missouri, still his treatment of the river in his speeches gives little hope of ultimate results. He maintained that river agitation was more a commercial question than political, and he broadened out on national issues and hammered into the ears of his listneres that if Bryan was to be the president he should have in congress men who are in sympathy with his views.

Mr. Borland was born in Leavenworth, Kas., "on the banks of the Missouri," as he used to tell his auditors. While still a small boy he came to Kansas City in 1880 and finished his education in the schools of this city. He graduated from the law department of the University of Michigan, and organized the Kansas City School of Law. He has never before held or aspired to political office, his only public services being in connection with the board of free-holders that revised the city charter.

Labels: , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory