Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

August 18, 1909


Alice Dalton, 22 Years Old, Dies in
Fairmount Park Lake.

While taking a dip in the lake at Fairmount Park "to see if it would cure her headache," Alice Dalton, a laundry girl, of Dickson Park, died suddenly of heart disease at 9:45 o'clock last night. the reaction by contact with the cold water is assigned to have brought on the attack.

Miss Dalton was 22 years old. She had been sick for over a week. Yesterday evening she took the trip to Fairmount Park to see if a swim in the lake would cause her head to stop aching. She had no sooner waded out to her depth when those standing on the banks heard her screams and saw her sink, much as a person does in drowning. Several men sprang into the water and brought the girl to the shore, only to find that she had been dead several seconds.

Labels: , ,

August 14, 1909


John Butterly of Chicago Stricken
at Fairmount, Dies.

While swimming in the pool at Fairmount park yesterday afternon John Butterly, 22 years old, died of heart failure. Mr. Butterly lived at 83 Edgemont avenue, Chicago, Ill, and was at the park with W. F. Tobin, 2815 Michigan avenue, Kansas City. Tobin says that Butterly was an expert swimmer and an all round athlete. Dr. William Gilmore, who attended the dead man, said that his death was due to heart failure rather than drowning.

Butterly was swimming in the part of the lake where the water is twenty-two feet deep. He was seen suddenly to go under water, and even though he made no outcry it was evident he could no longer swim. Harry Leidy, the life saver at the park, plunged in after the man and within four minutes had carried him ashore. The fact that there was no water of any consequence in the man' slungs led the physician to believe death was due to heart failure.

Mr. Butterly was a clerk in a gas office in Chicago. He was unmarried. The body was taken to O'Donnell's undertaking rooms and will be sent to Chicago.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

July 25, 1909



Embankment Undermined by Missouri River, Near Orrick, and East Bound Train Slid Into the Water --- Trainmen Buried Under their Engine -- Passengers Reported Missing.

A washout made by the recent floods which had washed away practically all the support of the tracks, caused a part of Wabash train No. 4, out of Kansas City, to plunge into the Missouri river at Hull's Point, Mo., two miles east of Orrick about 10:15 o'clock last night. Orrick is thirty miles east of Kansas City.

Four are known to be dead and thirty-nine injured, some seriously.

The engine, baggage and express cars are in the river, almost entirely covered by water and the bodies of the engineer and fireman, a baggageman and a baby are buried in the wreckage.

The train consisting of engine and nine coaches left Kansas City for St. Louis at 9 o'clock last night in charge of Conductor W. M. Frye of St. Louis.

There were four sleepers on the train, one of them for Des Moines and according to Conductor Frye's story he carried sixty-eight passengers.


In the baggage and express car was Harry Eckhert, Pacific express messenger, who had charge of between $30,000 and $40,000 consigned to St. Louis.

Immediately after the news of the wreck reached Kansas City a relief train was sent out and all of the injured were brought to Kansas City.

The train bearing the injured and other passengers arrived at the Union depot at 2:30 o'clock this morning. Seven ambulances with surgeons were in waiting and the injured were given temporary treatment in the main waiting room before being taken to the hospitals.

An hour after the wrecked passengers reached Kansas City, a new train was secured and the uninjured passengers were sent on to their destination.


The train was running at 35 miles an hour when it reached the line of track, a quarter of a mile in extent, which had been undermined and washed away by the Missouri river. Into this space the train suddenly plunged, though passengers say that they felt the shock of the grinding brakes. At the point where the derailment occurred the track is practically straight and the river makes no perceptible curve.

The river had eaten its way fifty feet beyond the inmost rail so no vestige of track remained visible. When the engine struck the water it hurled itself forward carrying the baggage and mail car and sleeper with it. The baggage car crashed on top of the engine and the two were forced beneath the water, the engine being completely submerged and the baggage car standing on end in the water. The mail car overturned in the water and the clerks were forced to climb over the wreckage before they could get to safety. Every one of them was injured in some degree by the force of the shock.

The washout occurred after 6:30 o'clock, for at that time another Wabash passenger train, eastbound, went over the track in safety and no danger was noticed.


Engineer Flowers and Fireman Bond both went into the river with their engine and were drowned. It is thought that the escaping steam would have scalded them to death even had they not been held under the water by the weight of the engine. Baggageman Harry Eckert was caught in his car which sank to the bottom of the stream and he was drowned like a rat in a trap.

The death of little Donald King, the infant who was thrown from his father's arms into the river, was particularly sad. The child was but 2 years old and both parents were with him and his two little sisters, but little older than himself. Just before the train was precipitated into the river his father took him forward to the toilet room. When Mr. King got to the front of the coach the first shock came and he lurched heavily. The child was forced from his arms in some way and, it is thought, fell into the stream through one of the open windows. When the parents were seen at the Union depot last night they were both so dazed they could hardly give a coherent account of the accident.

Ten or twelve people who were only slightly injured left the train at the scene of the accident and went back to Orrick, Mo. Their names could not be learned this morning.


News of the wreck was not long in reaching the depot and long before the relief train arrived the platform resembled the ward of a hospital. Along track No. 1 on which the train was scheduled to come in, was a long line of cots, while emergency surgeons in shirt sleeves strolled up and down or sat on the cots awaiting the arrival.

At about ten minutes past 2 o'clock there was a stir in the crowd of those waiting, the crowd having steadily increased as the news of the wreck filtered through the early morning air. A "flash" was received that the train had reached Randolph, just across the river, and would be at the station in ten minutes. Policemen showed up from apparently nowhere and took up their station along the track.

Ten minutes, twenty, thirty minutes passed and when shortly after the half-hour the train backed in. The crowd was so dense it was with difficulty the police made a passageway for the surgeons and stretchers.


Conductor Frye was the first man off the train. As soon as his lantern flashed its signal to the waiting hospital attendants, a line of white cots came into view, while the police had a difficult time keeping back the morbidly curious.

"A man in the sleeper is badly hurt," said Frye.

Men carried in a cot and because of the crowd it was necessary to pass the cot holding the injured man through a car window.

Others were carried or helped out by trainmen, hospital attendants and uninjured passengers, some bleeding and dazed, with temporary bandages wrapped about heads, arms and bodies.

Those who were able were left for the time being to shift for themselves, while surgeons bent over the cots of the more seriously injured to administer temporary relief.

Meanwhile uninjured passengers besieged Frye to know when they could "go on."

"Just as soon as we can get a train crew," was the invariable reply of the patient conductor.


Dr. Robert Sheetz and Dr. G. O. Moore of Orrick were the first physicians on the scene. They impressed those of the passengers who were able to assist them and gave temporary relief to most of the injured by the time the train reached Kansas City.

Miss Irene Dorton, 20, and Mrs. Sam Hackett, 40 years old, both of Orrick, were within a few miles of their home when the accident occurred. They had been visiting friends in Kansas City and were getting their luggage ready to get off the train when they were suddenly thrown out of their seats and across the aisle. Both lost consciousness and were revived by some of the passengers who were not as severely injured. They were attended by Drs. Sheet and Moore of Orrick.

"I can't tell you a thing about how the accident happened," said Miss Dorton, who was hurt the least. "I remember saying something to Mrs. Hackett about getting off the train, but that is all."


Frank Gardner, 40 years old, of Mount Vernon, was one of the worst injured. His hand was gashed and his left arm was almost crushed off. He was in the forward car and was caught beneath the wreckage.

"Our escape from death was simply miraculous," said Miss Mamie Donnelly of Mexico, Mo. "I was holding my little niece, Mary, 6 years old, in my lap, when suddenly a feeling passed through me similar to that one feels when riding a chute the chutes, then came a terrible jar and Mary was thrown clear out of my arms and her little head struck the roof of the car. I caught her dress and she fell back on me. We were both scratched a little but outside of the jar were not hurt."


Mr. and Mrs. C. F. Moore of Pueblo, Col, who were on their way to Huntsville, Mo., were both hurt. Mrs. Moore was badly bruised and cut and her back was sprained.

"We were in the chair car when the accident occurred," said Mr. Moore, "and we felt as if the earth just slipped out from beneath us. My wife was thrown against the side of the car and then into my arms. For a moment it felt as if we were to be engulfed and then all was still. Then came the cries for help. It seemed as if everyone was crying for help even though they were uninjured. Everyone was just panic stricken. I gathered my wife in my arms and we soon found ourselves outside the car. The scene was awful. The engine had bone beneath the river and was followed by several cars, we could not see how many. When I attended my wife's injuries I helped to look after the other passengers who were hurt."


Z. T. Finney, the brakeman, was on the head end of the deadhead sleeper and was pitched far out into the Missouri river when the embankment gave way beneath the train. He was half buried beneath coal from the tender and was cut and bruised. The water restored him to consciousness and he swam to shore.

"I was on the head end of the deadhead sleeper," said Brakeman Finey, "when the crash came. Just before we went into the water I felt the platform sort of sway and a sickening, falling sensation came over me. The next I remember I felt myself hurled over the top of the tender and then all was blank until I found myself swimming back to the train. The engine as it sank into the soft bank came to a sudden stop, and this jammed the cars together and threw me over the tender. That's how I happened to get hurt, although I am lucky that I was not carried beneath the cars."

Finney's injuries, while severe, are not serious.


"I'll never forget this night as long as I live," said Miss Birdie Dugan of 2829 St. Louis avenue, St. Louis, who was on the wrecked train. "It was terrible to see the injured as they were brought into our car, and to think of the others lying in the river. A man in our car lost his baby right out of his arms, and it went into the river. The poor mother was just a little distance away. There was an awful crash as the car broke in two, and the roof came down and the sides came together and caught so many people so they could not move. Everybody worked to get them out before the other half of the car fell into the river. The accident occurred shortly after 10 o'clock. We left Kansas City at 9 o'clock, right on time."


Dr. Mary Turner Loahbeck of 2829 St. Louis avenue, St. Louis, Mo., was on the train, and assisted in aiding the injured. "About all that was possible for me to do was to bandage the cuts," the doctor said. "I had no bandages with me, but we secured twenty or thirty sheets from the sleeping cars, and tore them into bandages. I attended about twenty people myself. The people of Orrick, Mo., were very kind. They gave us dry underclothing for the persons who were wet, and offered us all the assistance they were able to render."

Had it not been for the fact that the Wabash train No. 9, being the passenger train from Boston, was delayed at Moberly an hour, it would have met the fate of its sister train. If the train No. 9 had been on scheduled time it would have reached the washout before No. 4. Train No. 9 was due in Kansas City at 9:45, but arrived at 2:40, just after the relief train got into Kansas City. No. 9 was detoured over the Missouri Pacific after having been held for three hours by the wreck.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

July 21, 1909


Following Recent Drowning of
Boys, Council Takes Action.

The city council in Kansas City, Kas., last night ordered a number of ponds in that city drained. This action was taken following a number of recent drownings. The agitation in the city against ponds which have been permitted to stand for years, a menace to health and to the safety of the children, has grown to such proportions that decided action was necessary.

Labels: ,

July 18, 1909


Charles Pearson Fell From Raft in
Pool of Backwater.

Charles Pearson, 13 years old, son of C. H. Pearson, a stone mason of 2929 Hallock avenue, Kansas City, Kas., was drowned yesterday in a pool of water formed by back waters from the Missouri river at the foot of Fifth street in Kansas City, Kas. Pearson, unknown to his parents, went with a party of boys to the river yesterday afternoon about 3 o'clock. The boys found a deserted skiff in a pool of back water, and using boards as paddles rowed around in it for awhile. Later young Pearson with Frank Decker and Ridge Kirkham, his playmates, climbed aboard an old raft. While playing on the raft the boy lost his balance and fell into the water. Doctors R. E. Barker and Mortimer Marder rendered emergency treatment but could not revive him. The body was taken to Fairweather & Barker's morgue where it was viewed by Coroner J. A. Davis. The drowned boy was a student at the Longfellow school. Funeral arrangements have not been made.

Labels: , , , , ,

July 17, 1909



Playmate, in Swimming With the
Younger Lad, Makes Heroic
Struggle to Rescue Him, but
Becomes Exhausted.

Starr Allison, the 9-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Allison, 3532 Windsor avenue, was drowned about 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon in a slough immediately west of the entrance to the Milwaukee bridge on the Missouri river.

Clyde Perkins, 13 years old, made a most heroic effort to save his playmate. Twice he was dragged beneath the eddying waters, but becoming exhausted himself, he was forced to release his grasp on the drowning lad to save his own life. The drowned boy's body has not yet been found. Young Perkins is a stepson of K. L. Perkins, a druggist at 3600 St. John avenue.

W. H. Jackson, 3011 East Twenty-third street, was fishing about 100 yards south of where the boys were swimming. Hearing repeated cries for help he looked toward the slough and saw Perkins struggling in the eddy with his little friend. Perkins is said to be an excellent swimmer for a boy his age.

"The Perkins boy was holding to the Allison boy, and at the same time trying to master the swiftly rushing eddy and get his companion to a place of safety," said Jackson. "I believe it was he who made the outcry. While running along the steep embankment of the railroad to get near enough to go in I saw the boys sink twice. The next I saw, Perkins was alone swimming toward the bank just beneath the bridge."

The Perkins boy, after gallant fight to save a human life, was almost exhausted when he reached the bank. Johnson supported him until he was rested. He had swallowed a quantity of water. After a time the two secured little Starr's clothing, and, realizing what the shock would be to the mother, left them with a neighbor next door.

J. L. Allison, father of the drowned boy, is connected with the Allison-Richey Land Company at the Union depot.

"Star went down to Kanoky, as the boys call the place, with some other boys the other day and they all went bathing in the shallow pond," Mr. Allison said. "He was greatly delighted over the new venture, but his mother and I cautioned them.

"This morning when he asked to go down there again with Clyde, his mother refused her consent until he had secured mine. He called me up at my office, but I was out. He begged his mother until she consented after he had promised not to go in the water. We understand the Perkins boy told Starr to stay out, and he certainly made an effort to save our boy."

"Star wanted to go in when we got there," said Clyde Perkins, "but I would not let him. After a short time he went behind some tall weeds and the next I saw he was in the water. Then I told him to stay close to the bank, where it was shallow. While swimming later I saw him wading out from the bank. There is a step off, made by the eddy, and he went down. Then I swam and caught hold of him.

"He was excited and struggled hard or I believe I could have gotten him to shore. After he had dragged me under twice I became so exhausted that I had to release him and make for the bank myself. It seemed to me that I barely made it, too."

W. H. Harrison, former license inspector, Herman Robrock, and Dr. C. O. Teach, neighbors of Mr. Allison, with three men from the latter's firm, went to the slough shortly after the drowning to make a search for the body. Most of the men are expert swimmers. Until 10 o'clock last night they took turns diving from different points in search of the dead boy. Grappling hooks were used and drags made. The men will return to the scene early this morning and renew their search.

Where the eddy swirls about, it has formed a whirlpool, and it is the opinion of some that the whirling waters may keep the body from floating out into the open river.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

July 16, 1909



Paul Hauber, 14, While Bathing in
a Pool at Kerr's Park Sank
in Twelve Feet of Water.


The deep ponds in and around Kansas City, Kas., which for years have been a menace to life in more ways than one, yesterday claimed another victim when Paul Hauber, 14 years old, a son of Frank J.Hauber, president of the Hauber Cooperage Company, was drowned while bathing in a pool in Kerr's park west of Kansas City, Kas., The boy was unable to swim and although his cries for help were heard by thirty companions, most of whom were in the pond at the time, they became panic stricken and ran out crying while the body of the unfortunate boy sank in twelve feet of water.

The fire department was notified of the accident and George Fuller of No. 1 truck recovered the body. Emergency treatment was administered by Dr. Mortimer Marder, assistant police surgeon, but efforts to restore life were futile. The body was viewed by Dr. J. A. Davis, Wyandotte county coroner, and removed to the family home, 744 Washington boulevard.

Three companions, Robert Johnson of 71 South Forest avenue; Joe Ramel, 1049 Ella avenue, and Floyd Russel of 1117 Ella avenue, were with young Hauber when he undressed and went into the pond. Most of the swimmers who were in the pond at that time were on the opposite side. The boy waded about for some time and being unable to swim kept close to the shore. Becoming too venturesome, however, he stepped on a shelving bank and went in over his head. Two logs were in the water not far from where the boy was struggling and had his companions kept their presence of mind one of these logs could have been pushed within his reach.

The drowned boy was a student at St. Mary's Catholic school in Kansas City, Kas., and was a universal favorite among the younger people of the city. His death is the first broken link in a family consisting of ten brothers and three sisters. Once before the boy had a narrow escape from death by drowning. About two years ago he fell into a pond near his home, and his feet becoming entangled in some wire, he was rescued with difficulty.

Dr. J. A. Davis, Wyandotte county coroner, said last night that an inquest might be held over the body. In any event an effort will be made to provide in some way against the repetition of yesterday's fatality. The pond in which young Hauber met his death yesterday has been the scene of several drownings, one boy having drown there last summer. Chief of Police W. W. Cook last night said that every effort was being made by the police to prevent the boys from going into ponds in and near the city.

Funeral arrangements for young Hauber have not been made.

Labels: , , ,

July 10, 1909


Current Too Swift for Charles
Knapp, a Sheffield Laborer.

While swimming in the Blue river yesterday afternoon below the Kansas City Southern bridge, Charles Knapp, a laborer for the Kansas City Bolt and Nut Company, was drowned. The body was quickly recovered.

Knapp was accompanied by E. J. Slaughter of 3006 East Twenty-fifth street, who was barely able to swim, and could render no assistance to the drowning man. Knapp climbed on a girder and dived out as far as possible. The current was swifter than he calculated and after a few struggles to get to the bridge he gave up and sank.

Slaughter telephoned the Sheffield police station but help arrived too late. The body was taken to Blackman & Carson's undertaking rooms in Shefffield by Deputy Coroner Harry Czarlinsky. Knapp's mother, Mrs. William Brown, lives near St. Clair on the Independence line.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

June 27, 1909


Fell From a Skiff and Came Up Be-
neath a Barge.

John Palmer, 14 years old, fell from a skiff into the Blue river near the Independence road yesterday morning and was drowned. Marion Bullinger, proprietor of boathouse at that point, and several others saw the boy fall over the side of the skiff, which was near a barge anchored close to the bridge. The body did not rise again until the barge was moved, when the body was found beneath it.

The boy and his father room at the home of Jack Thomas, 415 Douglas avenue. Until recently he had been working at the Kansas City Nut and Bolt factory at Sheffield. Deputy Coroner Harry Czarlinsky viewed the body and had it sent to Blackburn & Carson's undertaking rooms.

Labels: , , , , , ,

August 24, 1908


Coroner Finds No Mark of Violence.
May Have Drowned.

An autopsy was held yesterday on the body of George Pickle, found in the Blue near the junction with the Missouri river several weeks ago. Pickle disappeared from his home, 1429 Summit street, June 21, and it was believed that he had been murdered and robbed, as he had over $100 when he left home. A companion was arrested and held for a week in connection with Pickle's disappearance and then released. The coroner found that Pickle died from some unknown cause, probably from drowning, but that he was not bruised in any way.

Labels: , , ,

August 23, 1908


Graham, the "Human Fish," the At-
traction at Fairmount.

Graham, the "Human Fish," is to be the free attraction at Fairmount park today. A large glass tank, filled with water, is used. He descends into the water, and while under the surface eats and drinks a bottle of milk. To do this he must exhale enough air from his lungs while under water to correspond to the amount of air displaced by the milk. Graham gives an exhibition of a drowning person, showing the various actions, from the time the person falls into the water until he lied apparently dead at the bottom, showing the struggle under water. The shows will be given near the circle swing and will take place at 3 and 4 o'clock in the afternoon and at 9 and 10 o'clock at night.

Fishing is still good at the lake and so is the bathing. The concessions are all doing a rushing business and the band has a full programme for the day.

Labels: , , , , , ,

August 24, 1908


Coroner Finds No Mark of Violence.
May Have Drowned.

An autopsy was held yesterday on the body of George Pickle, found in the Blue near the junction with the Missouri river several weeks ago. Pickle disappeared from his home, 1429 Summit street, June 21, and it was believed that he had been murdered and robbed, as he had over $100 when he left home. A companion was arrested and held for a week in connection with Pickle's disappearance and then released The coroner found that Pickle died from some unknown cause, probably from drowning, but that he was not bruised in any way.

Labels: , , ,

July 8, 1908


Falls Into Death Trap in the Yard
of His Home.

Burke F. Miller, 4 years old, was drowned in the cistern at the rear of his parents' residence at 1235 State avenue, yesterday afternoon. The little boy was playing in the yard with his sister Genevieve, 2 years old, when he stepped on a defective plank and fell into the water.

Little Genevieve ran to the kitchen door and aroused her mother. Mrs. Miler called some laborers from a sewer ditch nearby and they went int the cistern for the boy. Dr. W. J. Pearson was sumoned, and he worked over the child an hour then pronounced him dead.

The child's father, Samuel A. Miller, is an insurance collector. He said last night that the body would be taken to Gardner Kas., tomorrow morning for burial.

Labels: , , , ,

June 26, 1908


In Recognition of His Bravery, the
Neighbors Give Him Clothes.

As a reward for his heroism in rescuing a little girl from drowning last Monday, Patsy Burrey, the 13-year-old son of Patrick Burkrey of 1956 Hallock avenue, Kansas City, Kas., was yesterday presented with a new suit of clothes by people living in the vicinity of Fifth street and New Jersey avenue.

While playing on the banks of Jersey creek near Fifth street, Anna Tate, an 8-year-old girl, fell into the water. Young Burkrey plunged in after her, grabbed her by one foot and pulled her out upon the bank. The rescue was witnessed by several men who were standing on the street above the creek. They look up a collection with which to reward the young hero.

Labels: , , ,

June 26, 1908


Little Henry Hall Disobeyed His
Mother and Was Lost.

Henry, the 12-year-old son of Joseph F. Hall, 512 Tenney avenue, Kansas City, Kas., was drowned in the backwater of the Kaw river at the foot of Reynolds avenue yesterday morning. The boy had been sent on an errand by his mother, but instead of doing his mother's bidding, he met some other boys that were going swimming in the backwater that fills the hulls in the northern part of the Cypress railroad yards. Young Hall got in over his head and was drowned in the presence of a number of young companions.

Yesterday's drowning occurred within a few hundred feet of where two other small boys met death in the water last week. The body of the Hall boy was recovered and taken to the undertaking rooms of Daniels and Comfort. Coroner J. A. Davis decided that an inquest was not necessary. Joseph F. Hall, father of the boy, is employed at the Cudahy packing house, having charge of the boiler rooms there.

Labels: , , , ,

June 16, 1908





His Efforts Rendered Futile by the
Struggles of His Companion.
They Go Down to Death
Miss Nita Ewin and Mr. Albert Buchanan, Drowning Victims.

While boating on the Blue river in Sheffield yesterday afternoon, Alfred G. Buchanan and Miss Nita Ewin were drowned. The canoe in which they were rowing caught on a hidden snag and turned turtle. Both Mr. Buchanan and Miss Ewin lived in Independence. Each was about 20 years of age. Miss Ewin was the daughter of Mrs. Bertie Ewin, a widow, of 412 North Liberty street, while young Buchanan was the son of J. F. Buchanan, an abstracter and loan agent in Independence.

The young couple secured a canoe at the Blue River shortly after noon yesterday, saying that they would return in a short time. They immediately paddled off toward the mouth of the Blue. The accident occurred just above the Belt line bridge.

Witnesses say the boat struck a hidden snag or the limbs of a big tree that overhung the river. Both the occupants of the boat were thrown out by the shock and the boat itself capsized. The two young people struggled in the water for a short time and then went down. Mr. Buchanan was an expert swimmer but, according to those who witnessed the accident from a distance, he was hindered in his efforts to save himself and the young woman by the struggles of the latter.

Two Missouri Pacific firemen stationed with their engines near the scene of the accident saw the young people drown. They left their engines and immediately began to dive or the bodies. Their efforts were fruitless.

The police department was then notified and Lieutenant M. J. Kennedy of the Sheffield station led a rescue party consisting of Marion Bollinger, owner of the boat, and a fisherman. Both bodies were drawn from the water by hooks nearly an hour and a half later.

Mr. Bollinger found the body of the young man first and the fisherman found the body of the young woman. Lieutenant Kennedy had telephoned the father of the young man and he was present when the bodies were removed. Dr. A. C. Mulvaney and Dr. Connelly Anderson, who had been called by Lieutenant Kennedy, tried to resuscitate the two but failed. It was 6 o'clock before the bodies were sent to Independence in an ambulance.

Miss Ewin was the only daughter of Mrs. Bertie Ewin. Seven members of the family have died in the last five years. Alfred is the second son of J. F. Buchanan.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

June 3, 1908





Ray County Coroner Had Overlooked
Important Clues to Dead Man's
Identity -- Body to Be

When A. E. Dudley of 1825 Grand avenue, went to Camden, Ray county, Missouri, yesterday to look at three bodies found in the river there Sunday and Monday, he did not find the body of his friend, Fred Noosem, his partner in business, but he brought back the description of a man who disappeared here in January. Detectives Charles Halderman and James Fox say that it is no other than John Mason, known as "Dutch." His description and apparel prove that beyond a shadow of a doubt, and a deep hole in the skull behind the left ear indicates that he had been murdered.

Mason was a horse trader who owned twelve horses, a hack, a brougham and a runabout. He lived with a woman named Maude Wilson at 1403 Main street. On January 26, last, Maud Wilson told the detectives that she and Mason counted his money.

"He had with him just then $585," she said. "He wore a horseshoe pin in which were fifteen diamonds. The pin was locked in a lavender tie with a patent fastener. He also wore a solitaire diamond ring, a gold ring and a fine gold watch and chain. After he left my house that day he was never seen again to my knowledge."

When Dudley discovered that one of the bodies had on clothing bearing Kansas City marks he took a complete description of everything. Here is the description, which tallies exactly with the missing Mason: "He was between 24 and 26 years old, 5 feet 6 inches tall and weighed 140 pounds. He was smooth shaved and had dark brown hair. There was no jewelry on the body, but in the tie is the remains of a pin from which the setting has been nipped. The pin is locked with a patent fastener."

Halderman and Fox say that there is no doubt that this is the body of the missing horse trader. Dudley says that the coroner of Ray county buried the body without a coffin and took no cognizance of the many identification remarks. The other two bodies found there have been claimed by relatives and removed. One was a suicide from Kansas City, Kas., and the other that of Harry Tuoroff of Independence, drowned while hunting ducks near Sibley, Mo.

There is not one man in a thousand who would have taken any further notice of the body after he saw that it was not the one he sought. It happens that Dudley formerly was a detective, and that instinct led him to take notice of these things and report them to the police here, a matter which the Ray county coroner had overlooked. Fox and Halderman have been on the case about six weeks. Arrests are expected in a few days when a sensation may be looked for.

The Ray county coroner will be ordered to exhume and hold the body of Mason. The detectives on the case say that from the first they suspected that Mason had been murdered, but until Dudley came in yesterday with the fact that the body had been found, it would have been hard to prove. The first thing to establish is the corpus delicti, the presence of the murdered body. Now that that is established they expect plain sailing.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

May 26, 1908


Kansas City Girl and Little Brother
Are Among Victims.

TRENTON, MO., May 25. -- (Special.) Mrs. Benjamin King of Brimson, Mo., Miss Anna Coakley, aged 18, and her 5 year old brother, the latter two of Kansas City, were drowned while attempting to cross Sugar creek near Brimson, about 6 o'clock last night. In the carriage were three other persons who escaped, Benjamin King, husband of the drowned woman, and his daughter and grand-daughter. They were attempting to cross the stream, which was swollen by heavy rains, on a low wagon bridge, which was covered with water. Mr. King, who was driving, miscalculated the distance and drove off the bridge. The buggy was washed down stream.

The bodies of Miss Coakley and her brother were recovered with the vehicle. Mrs. King's body has not been recovered.

Mr. King, who is about 60 years old, made a heroic rescue of his daughter and grand-daughter while his wife sank before his eyes. Mr. King is an agent at Brimson for the Quincy, Omaha & Kansas City railroad.

Miss Coakley and brother were visiting Mr. and Mrs. King.

Labels: , , ,

May 17, 1908


Hector Bonne, a Belgian Gardner,
Lost His Life in the Blue.

In the presence of his family of four children, Hector Bonne, a Rosedale gardener, was drowned while fishing in the Blue just south of Dodson last evening about 7 o'clock. He had taken his children for a day's visit at an uncle's, Charles Cula, near the Harrisonville bridge, not far from where the accident occurred.

Several men were fishing there and some were intoxicated. Bonne waded into the water banteringly with his clothes on, and all seemed to think when he dropped out of sight that he was making fun for the children. But he had stepped off a ledge and was drowned without coming up. In a few minutes the dead body was recovered by R. H. Hopkins, a farmer, who was there fishing. Bonne was a Belgian. Deputy Coroner O. H. Parker sent R. V. Lindsay, a Westport undertaker, for the body. With his wife and children, Bonne lived just beyond the end of the Rosedale car line.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

May 16, 1908


Farmer Near Sibley Discovered It
Thursday -- Missing Since
January 31.

The body of John Fahey, missing since January 31, was found in the Missouri river near Sibley, Mo., Thursday afternoon by a farmer, James Finn, while fishing. A Buckner undertaker was called to take charge of the body, and some of the stationary of the Kansas City waterworks department was found in a pocket. From this Fahey was quickly identified, as his disappearance became widely known about February 17, when to gratify the man's wife a waterworks trench at Twelfth and Main streets was re-excavated on the theory that workmen might have buried Fahey alive while he was inspecting the pipe connections on the work there the night he disappeared.

At midnight on the night of his disappearance he called up the waterworks department to say that he had just inspected the job, and the hole was ready to be filled. A gang of eight men was sent to do the work.

Sergeant M. E. Ryan, at police headquarters, a brother of Mrs. Fahey, went to Buckner yesterday and identified the corpse positively. There was 75 cents in the trousers' pockets. The body was taken to O'Donnell's undertaking rooms, and Deputy Coroner O. H. Parker held an autopsy. No marks of violence were found which, taken with the fact that he was not robbed, would seem to indicate that the man, either by accident or suicidal intent, got into the river.

There will be private funeral services at O'Donnell's undertaking rooms this morning at 10 o'clock, with burial in Mount St. Mary's cemetery.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

March 17, 1908


Harry Touroff of Independence Loses
Life in Missouri River.

Harry Touroff was drowned in the Missouri river yesterday at noon while duck hunting. Touroff was about 18 years of age and a son of Samuel Touroff of Independence. His father allowed him to go hunting yesterday and he and his conpanion got onto a sandbar. Touroff stepped out of the boat into what he considered shallow water, but disappeared immediately. It is supposed he went down in the quicksands. The body has not been recovered. Samuel Touroff is a dry goods merchant in Independence. His store is at the southeast corner of the square.

Labels: , , ,

Agusut 12, 1907



Finding of the Body of Martin
Cathro in the Kaw Discounted
the Story Told by Adel-
bert Lacer.

While John Hittle, L. McDonald and R. Retin, railroad laborers of Argentine, were strolling along the Kaw river bank in the vicinity of the Rex mills yesterday morning about 8 o'clock, they discovered the nude body of a boy caught in an eddy a few feet from the bank. The body was afterwards identified as that of Martin Cathro, aged 10 years, of 715 Metropolitan avenue, Argentine. Cathro's father is a foreman in the hair department of the Cudahy packing house. County Coroner Davis ordered the body removed to the Daniels Bros. undertaking establishment.

The drowned boy had been missing since early Saturday afternoon. He went to the river accompanied by Adelbert Lacer, a companion. The Lacer boy had reported to Mrs. Cathro that Martin had caught a meat wagon for Kansas City, Mo., when they had tired of fishing, about 4 o'clock. Chief of Police Frank James, of Argentine, took the Lacer boy into temporary custody. Lacer at first denied any knowledge whatever of the death of Martin Cathro, but finally admitted that he saw him drown while trying to untangle a snagged line several feet from the bank.

"We had been fishing about twenty minutes," said Lacer, "when Martin's line got caught on a snag. The water was pretty shallow where we were, at the deepest being not over one's chin. Martin took off all his clothes and waded in. I looked away a monent, and when I looked again, Martin had gone under. I never saw him again.

"I was awfully scared. I hated to return home without him, and tell people I saw him drown. Then I thought of his clothes. I took them to a clump of bushes near the river and hid them."

Lacer took the officer to the place where he had concealed the garments.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

August 9, 1907


Her Tragic End Brings Woe to Court

Anna Bacchus, the pet cat of County Clerk Samuel A. Boyer's office, and the champion mouser and ratter of the courthouse, was found unconscious by L. I. Duncan, deputy clerk, yesterday afternoon in a drawer in the office which he chanced to open. Anna had crawled into the drawer quietly sometime Wednesday and made herself a nest among the writing paper. The drawer had been closed by someone who did not notice the feline. She was still alive when Duncan found her and laid her on the sill of an open window. The clerks bathed her face in water and stroked her back, but she never regained consciousness. She died at 3:30 o'clock, half an hour later. The only relative in this city is a half brother who lives in the basement of the courthouse. She has had several children, but all of them have been drowned. Her husband, Thomas Bacchus, abandoned her last winter. She was 3 years old. The deputies in Boyer's office will take up a subscription to pay for her funeral. No flowers.

Labels: , ,

July 8, 1907


Supposed Drowned Boy's Clothing
Taken From the River Bank.

A drowning scare occurred at the Blue river, in Sheffield, yesterday afternoon, when the clothes and a crutch of William Hess, a 12-year old, one-legged boy, who lives near Independence and Ewing avenues, in Sheffield, were found on the bank. The finding of the clothes was reported at the Sheffield police station, and a prompt search for the body was instituted.

For three hours boats plied up and down the river from Nineteenth street to the mouth of the river, and for some distance about where the clothing was found the river was dragged. The search was abandoned about 7:30 o'clock, and the clothing turned over to the boy's mother by a policeman, who broke the news to her.

A half hour later a dejected looking figure, clad in an improvised bathing suit made from an old gunnysack, appeared in the doorway of the Hess home. It was the supposedly drowned boy, who had returned from a row with two other boys up the river, and finding his clothes gone he had hobbled to his home by way of alleys and side streets.

Labels: , , , ,

June 30, 1907


Woman Jumps Into the River and
He Followed Her.

"I just wanted to see if Harve was game and loved me enough to risk his life to save me from drowning," said Kate Pullen yesterday afternoon after being dragged from the Kaw river, into which she had jumped from a rowboat.

She is the wife of Harvey Pullen, who lives in a tent on the river bank in Kansas City, Kas. Mrs. Pullen and her husband were out rowing. Pullen was manipulating the oars, when suddenly Mrs. Pullen, who was seated in the rear of the boat, arose to a standing position and leaped into the water. Her husband proved "game" all right, jumping in after her. They would have both bee drowned, however, had it not been for a couple of fishermen who happened to be near by in a boat.

Both were taken to No. 2 police station and locked up.

Labels: , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory