Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

January 20, 1910


But Child Could Not Save the
Family Diamonds.

John Church Ingles, 3 years old, son of Edward M. Ingles, 3830 Forest avenue, put to flight an armed burglar who invaded his nursery yesterday afternoon.

The man gained entrance by means of a skeleton key while Mrs. Ingles was visiting a neighbor. He made a search of the dining room and kitchen, taking two diamond bracelets and about $5 in cash, and was going up the stairs when John heard him.

The child called loudly for his mother. Mrs. Ingles came running from an adjoining house just in time to see the man dash out of the front door and across the lawn. He had a long bladed knife in his hand.

Labels: , , ,

January 4, 1910


Warrant Issued for Pawnbroker on
Complaint From Prosecutor's Office.

For the use of $16.50 for eleven months, $15 interest, or 10 per cent a month, is alleged to have been charged by O. H. Stevens, a pawnbroker at 125 East Twelfth street, of H. S. Elder. A warrant was issued yesterday for the pawnbroker's arrest on a complaint charging him with violating the state usury law.

The complainant says that November 20, 1908, he pawned a gold watch chain and locket for $16.50. When he went to redeem the jewelry last month, he said, 10 per cent per month interest was demanded.

"This office has not started a crusade, so to speak, against usurious pawnbrokers," said Ruby Garrett, the assistant prosecutor who has these cases in charge, "but anyone who has been held up for exorbitant rates of interest we would consider it a favor if they would report the same."

Labels: , ,

December 21, 1909


Found in Band of Hat Dropped in
Escaping From Residence.

A picture of a burglar was found in the band of a hat he dropped in escaping when Mrs. Houser, 3820 Central street, met two men coming up stairs, after they had ransacked all the rooms on the ground floor, getting considerable valuable jewelry. The robbers had entered the back door by using a skeleton key.

Seeing Mrs. Houser, they escaped through a window and ran down the street. A grocery wagon driver saw them and took up the chase, being joined by a number of passersby. After a run of several blocks the robbers darted down an alley near Twenty-seventh street and Bellview avenue, and made their escape.

A portion of the jewelry was dropped by the thieves in their run. One of them in escaping dropped his hat which contained a small picture. Mrs. Houser identified it as one of the burglars. The police have been unable to find either man yet.

Labels: , ,

October 27, 1909


Declares that He Alone Killed His
Two Sisters and Brother-in-Law,
Alonzo Van Royen, at Their
Home on the Reidy Road.


Despite James's Exoneration of Pat-
rick McMahon, Both Brothers Are
Arrested and Hurried to Lansing
to Prevent Possible Lynching.


James McMahon, 35 years old, commonly known to his associates as "Crazy Jim," admitted to County Attorney Joseph Taggart yesterday that on Tuesday, October 19, at the Van Royen farm, five miles west of the Kansas City, Kas., limits in Wyandotte county, he slew his brother-in-law, Alonzo R. Van Royen, and his sisters, Mrs. Margaret Van Royen and Miss Rose McMahon.

Expressing inability to give any reason for his act, McMahon calmly told in minute details the facts in regard to this triple tragedy.

Going to an isolated section of the farm, where Van Royen was chopping wood, McMahon said that he first gave Van Royen a drink of whisky out of a bottle, then, when the latter's back was turned, shot him four times. Assured that the man was dead, he picked up his body, carried it across a small stream and deposited it in a narrow, lonely ravine, which was shadowed by a great oak tree.

Half a mile away was the home of Van Royen, and there, as McMahon knew, were the two women. The murderer proceeded immediately to the Van Royen home, opened the door without knocking and confronted Margaret and Rosie. A quarrel ensued, the nature of which he says he cannot remember.

Within a few minutes he drew the revolver from his pocket, and standing within two feet of Margaret, shot her dead. Turning the weapon on the terror-stricken Rosie, who was a few feet away, he shot her through the heart.

Without stopping, McMahon returned his attention to the prostrate form of Margaret and fired two more bullets into her body. Rosie lay motionless, but to make sure of his work the slayer directed the revolver at her again and shot until it was empty of shells.

Then he reloaded and fired three more bullets into the form of his unmarried sister.

After completing the triple butchery McMahon went to his own home, hitched his horse and drove to Kansas City, Kas. He visited the grocery store of Reitz & Reitz, 1005 Minnesota avenue, paid a bill and returned to the farm. The shooting of Van Royen occurred about 2 o'clock. The murder of the women was accomplished about three-quarters of an hour later.


Upon his return to the farm McMahon ate supper, and after it was dark he returned to the Van Royen house, carrying a lighted lantern, and by its dim rays inspected the house, taking such valuables as were in sight so as to give the impression that the motive of the murder was robbery.

From the fingers of Margaret McMahon he removed a diamond ring and a wedding ring. Around her neck was a little bag in which she had some little trinkets of value. He removed this, too, and taking his booty, carried it over to his own home and hid it along with the revolver and unused cartridges, in a corn shock about 100 feet from the McMahon house.

For seven days, while the authorities were bending every effort in an endeavor to establish the identity of the murderer, Jim McMahon kept his secret. For seven days he held his head up, talked frequently and freely to officials and reporters and offered no word that would tend to solve the mystery.


The stolen property, hidden in the corn shock, was McMahon's undoing.

If McMahon committed the murder the jewelry is hidden about the farm, was the theory upon which Sheriff Becker and his deputies directed their work. That they must find the stolen property and work upon that to force a confession was the decision of the officers.

J. W. Elkins of Beloit, Kas., a friend of McMahon's who is also a friend of the sheriff's was invited into the game of unraveling a mystery. And the plan decided upon and which was successfully executed was for the friend to go to McMahon and inform him that the officers intended to search every part of the premises.

"If these things are hidden here give them to me; let me take them over to my house," was the suggestion offered and McMahon stepped into the trap.

He showed the man the hidden articles and gave them to him. This was a 7 o'clock yesterday forenoon.

Two hours later, after McMahon had ample time to reflect, he went to his man to beg for the return of the evidence, but Elkins was not at home.

After his unsuccessful mission, McMahon drove to the home of his aunt, Mrs. Ellis, and there nervously awaited the fate which he knew was bound to come.


In his confession, James McMahon exonerates his brother, Patrick, who has been under surveillance ever since the tragedy.

"He didn't help me; he knew nothing about it," the murderer insisted, when questioned by the officers. "Nobody knew anything about it; I did it myself; no one advised me, and I don't know why I did it."

"Did you meditate on this crime?" he was asked.

"I've thought of doing it for the last three months. It was in me to do this thing. I knew I would do it."

"Did you ever start to do it before?"

"Yes, several times, but I lost my nerve."

"How did you get your nerve up, finally?"

"Whisky got my nerve up. I had a bottle the day I killed them. I took several drinks out of it. I gave a drink to Lon before I killed him. That nerved me up to it."

"Where did you get the revolver?"

"I bought it about a week before the killing. I told the folks I wanted to practice with it."


"Had you ever quarreled with these people you killed?" McMahon was asked.

"Not to any extent."

"Have any grudge against Lon or your two sisters?"

"No, Lon and I always were friends."

"Can you advance any reason at all for this act?"

"I can not; I was out of my head, I guess."

In a little over an hour the McMahons and Patrick Lamb, an employe at the McMahon farm, were in the county jail, once the officers decided to make the arrest. The officers are confident that Lamb had no connection with the crime, and are holding him only as a witness.

As to Patrick McMahon's status in the case that is a matter that will have to be decided later. Patrick McMahon maintained yesterday that he had no part in the tragedy and knew nothing about it. At the jail James McMahon was the only prisoner subjected to a severe sweating, and the county accepts his statements as true.


While the inquiry was in progress the outer door of the jail was kept locked and hundreds of persons, apprised of the arrest, stood anxiously about the jail yard and wondered what the termination of the case would be.

During the inquiry Under Sheriff Joseph Brady and Henry T. Zimmer, a deputy sheriff, who had arrested James McMahon, emerged from the jail building and rode north of Seventh street in an automobile. Presently they returned in company with Mrs. Ellis and she was taken into the sheriff's home. The prisoner had asked for her repeatedly and said that his statement would depend upon what she said.

Mrs. Ellis, a nervous wreck as the result of the ordeal to which she had been subjected to for a week, asked McMahon what he wanted her to do. He said he wanted her advice as to what he should say.

"Tell the truth," said Mrs. Ellis.

It was after this that McMahon yielded to the entreaty of the county attorney, and told the story of his crime.


James Downs, uncle of the McMahon boys, was astounded yesterday when he heard that James McMahon had confessed to the murder.

"I was absolutely confident of their innocence," said Mr. Downs, "and I can give no explanation of it. The boy must be insane."

In regard to a statement that had criticised Sheriff Becker and his deputies for the manner in conducting the inquiry, Mr. Downs said:

"I did not harshly criticise the sheriff and had no intention of doing so. I wanted the boys to talk to him at all times and urged them to tell him everything they knew, to tell the whole truth. I did object to the sheriff and his men harassing the mother, as she is in poor health, and I feared that the examinations, if made before her, might cause serious results."

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

October 10, 1909



Was Connected With Many Promi-
nent Institutions in Kansas City
Where He Lived Nearly
Forty Years.
The Late George P. Olmstead.

George P. Olmstead, an octogenarian, half of whose life was lived in Kansas City, died yesterday morning at the breakfast table in his home at 1311 Forest avenue. Until five years ago he was a member of the Cady & Olmstead jewelry firm at 1009-11 Walnut street, which still retains his name. Prior to that he was one of the leading lumbermen of the Missouri valley.

Mr. Olmstead had seated himself at breakfast, and was glancing over the morning paper when his daughter, Mrs. Ben F. Qualtrough, was about to serve the coffee. As she came in she noticed his head was bowed, but thought little of it, as he often became drowsy when sitting.

Mr. Olmstead's head fell lower and touched the paper, and Mrs. Qualtrough became alarmed. Unable to awaken him, she called her husband, but they could do nothing and he had lapsed into unconsciousness. Dr. R. T. Sloan was summoned, but when he arrived the aged man was dead.

Besides his wife he leaves a son and a daughter, C. B. Olmstead and Mrs. Ben F. Qualtrough, both of 1311 Forest avenue, Miss Catherine G. Olmstead, a sister, 88 years old, has been at Wesleyan hospital for three years with a fractured limb.

The funeral will be held from the hours Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock with Rev. Burris A. Jenkins, pastor of Linwood Boulevard Christian church, in charge. Temporary burial will be in the vault in Forest Hill cemetery.

Mr. Olmstead was born September 17, 1829, at Little Falls, N. Y., where he grew to manhood and learned the carpenter's trade. Early he made the journey by canal, lake, river and gulf to Corpus Christi, Tex., but did not remain there long.

Later he engaged in the lumber business at Pontiac, Ill, where he was married in 1859 to Miss Cornelia E. Hunt, who survives him. He remained there for several years and again removed to Tuscola, where he lived until they came to Kansas City in 1869. Mr. Olmstead built a home at 800 Jefferson street and lived there until 1887, when he bought the present family home at 1311 Forest avenue. The Jefferson street house was sold at the time of the construction of the cable incline.

On coming to Kansas City Mr. Olmstead became a member of the lumber firm of Leach, Hall & Olmstead, all of the members of which are now dead. Their lumber yard was west of the Union depot and the site is now occupied by a number of large wholesale houses. In 1882 he became a partner of L. S. Cady in the jewelry firm of Cady & Olmstead and in 1887 the lumber firm was dissolved. Four years ago he sold his interest in the business of Cady & Olmstead. For a number of years he was identified with R. M. Snyder, now dead, in Texas and Arizona ranch properties.

Current events drew much of Mr. Olmstead's attention and he took a vivid interest in the happenings of the world at large. His large library attests that he was a wide reader and he was known as a close and intelligent student of the Bible. During the pastorate of Rev. T. P. Haley, he was an active member of the First Christian church at Eleventh and Locust streets. Mathematics and astronomy held an odd fascination for him.

Mr. Olmstead was a close friend of Col. R. T. Van Horn and frequently he would contribute keen and well-written comments on public affairs to the columns of The Journal.

Last fall he was invited to Pontiac to attend the fiftieth anniversary of the Masonic lodge there, which he founded, but he was obliged to decline.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

September 27, 1909


Stopped to Eat After Getting Jewel-
ry and Was Detected.

A home made custard pie may be the innocent cause of William Miller spending several years in the Kansas penitentiary. Miller, according to his own story, yesterday afternoon entered the home of Fred Herwig, a farmer living near Barker station about seven miles west of Kansas City, Kas., on the Kansas City Western electric line. After securing three watches, a gold locket and chain and about $7.50 in money, he prepared to leave before any member of the household should return from a neighbor's home where they were visiting.

Had Miller carried out his original intention of leaving the house at once he might have escaped detection, but the sight of a fresh custard pie on the table proved his downfall. He stopped long enough to wash his face and hands and then sat down and ate the pie. On his way to the car after leaving the house, he was seen by Mr. Herwig. Upon discovering his loss, Mr. Herwig telephoned the police in Kansas City, Kas., to be on the outlook for the thief. An officer entered the car at Sixth and State avenue and arrested Miller. Most of the stolen goods were found in his possession.

Labels: , , ,

September 16, 1909



Board Rules in Case Where Woman
Gave $25 to Show Appreciation,
That a Postage Stamp
Is Graft.

The police board ruled at its meeting yesterday afternoon that it would consider any officer as grafting who accepted "even a postage stamp or a cigar as a present."

The ruling was made after Detectives J. F. Lyngar and Charles T. Lewis had been suspended for sixty days for accepting a present of $25 from Mrs. Rose Herman, 909 Lydia avenue. The money was given to Lewis on September 1 for recovery of a $125 locket. He gave his partner, Lyngar, half of it. The board ordered that if the $25 was not returned to Mrs. Herman within twenty-four hours the officers would be dropped.

Mrs. Herman was an unwilling witness and when she took the stand she said, with her eyes suffused with tears: "I would like to make a preliminary statement. I am not making these charges against these officers. A friend of mine virtually trapped me into doing it. If in telling the truth here I am going to cause trouble for either of them I want to say now that I am very, very sorry for it."


The witness then went on to tell how previously she had lost $30 and how Detective Lewis had succeeded in recovering it for her. When the locket was stolen she sent for him. On August 30 it was located in a pawnshop at 812 Independence avenue, where sh paid the pawnbroker $10 to get it back.

"Both officers were there," she continued, "and advised me that I could replevin the locket, but lawyer's fees would have been more than $10, so I paid it. The man wanted $18.

"It was then I told Mr. Lewis to come to my house the next day. When he did I voluntarily gave him $25. I meant it as a present, as I felt very grateful to get my locket back. And I still want the men to have the money. I was dragged into this thing unwillingly."

Detective Lewis admitted all that Mrs. Herman said and added that he had worked on both cases alone, simply giving his partner half of the $25.

"It was my idea," he said, "that we were not allowed to accept of a published reward without permission of this board. I did not know it was a violation of the statute to accept a present. I have done it before, and so has every man on the force for that matter. Mrs. Herman will tell you that I told her she owed me nothing, but still she insisted and I took it."


Commissioners Marks and Middlebrook discussed the case in low tones for a long time before rendering a verdict. Then Judge Middlebrook wheeled swiftly about in his chair and said:

"Were it not for the fact that Mrs. Herman was an unwilling witness, that the money appears to have been thrust upon the officer, both men would be dropped from the department here and now. That is the only mitigating circumstance in this case. You are suspended for sixty days and the money must be paid to the secretary tomorrow. He will return it. Hereafter men found accepting presents will be absolutely dismissed from the force.

"The mere fact that you see no wrong in what you have done is to say the least distressing. You are paid $115 a month and the acceptance of a postage stamp above that is regarded as graft."

"Rear in mind now," added Mr. Marks, "this means that you are to accept nothing form the public, not even a cigar, without the permission of this board."

"If that rule is enforced," said an officer who heard the order, "the board would be kept busy examining new men for the force, as every ma on the department would lose his job every day. I know a copper who has lost his eleven times today, as he has just that many good cigars in his inside pocket."

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

July 20, 1909


Two Families Lost Money and Jew-
elry Sunday.

While the family of D. T. Morris, 2410 Cherry street were at church Sunday morning, a thief broke open the front door and stole $20 in currency besides a diamond ring.

J. J. Kallig of 1429 Madison avenue had practically the same experience. When the family returned from church the house had been entered and $78 had been taken.

Labels: , , ,

July 19, 1909



Five Highwaymen With Revolvers
Get Dollar Apiece From One Vic-
tim -- Diamonds and Watches
Among the Loot.

Six holdups occurred in Kansas City Saturday night and Sunday morning. In every case the robbers succeeded in getting money, and some of the victims gave up their watches.

Frank Serrett, 829 South Valley street, Kansas City, Kas., the first victim to complain to the police, reported that two men held him up in the alley between Main and Walnut on Ninth street. While one of the highwaymen searched his pockets, the other man kept him covered with a pistol A watch and $10 comprised the booty.

At 10 o'clock Saturday night George Mangoe, 115 1/2 Central street, Kansas City, Kas., reported that he had been robbed by two men, and his watch stolen. The robbery occurred at Ninth and Wyoming streets.

It took five men to stop and rob James Bone, 4413 Bell avenue, at about 11 p. m., at Forty-first and Bell avenue, at about 11 p. m., at Forty-first and Bell avenue. According to Bone, all of the robbers were armed with revolvers and held them in sight. He gave up $5 to the brigands.

A watch at $7 were taken from J. W. Brown, 1326 Grand avenue, at Thirteenth and Franklin streets by two men.

H. A. Lucius, 215 West Fourteenth street, reported to the police that he had been robbed or $50 near 2854 Southwest boulevard.

G. W. Shaw, Strong City, Kas., entered police headquarters early Sunday morning and informed the police that he had been robbed in front of a saloon near McGee and Third streets. He reported the loss of an Elk's tooth and two unset diamonds.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

May 25, 1909



When Mrs. Lulu Johnson, who is 43, on her wedding eve left in the lurch her fiance of 60, Alexander Quist, a rich retired farmer of Rock Island, Ill., to whom she was to have been married here last night, she blighted a middle-aged romance which started last January in Amarillo, Tex.

Besides his hopes of happiness, Mr. Quist told Inspector of Detectives Edward Boyle last night that she took with her jewelry, diamonds and clothing valued at $1,000.

If the plans of the police are carried out Mrs. Johnson will be taken from a Chicago train at Louisiana, Mo., at an early hour this morning, and asked to explain.


Quist, who is very wealthy, went to Amarillo in January on real estate business. While there he met Mrs. Johnson, a handsome widow who was more than pleased with the Illinois farmer. In less than a month she had consented to marry him, and by the middle of February they had started to Kansas City where, he says, they intended to unite at once.

The license, Quist says, was secured when they arrived in Kansas City, but after due consideration, Mrs. Johnson concluded that she needed more time to prepare her trousseau. She therefore deemed it advisable to return to Texas, while her aged lover went back to Rock Island. Before parting, however, Quist says he gave her diamond earrings valued at $300, a diamond ring which cost $200 and enough cash to bring the bill to about $700. With the license in his pocket he departed in a happy frame of mind.

During March and April, the two corresponded regularly, and on May 19 Quist concluded to return to Amarillo, as he was certain that the wedding finery must be finished. Sure enough, everything was in readiness, and two days ago the two started for Kansas City a second time. As the license had been secured in Missouri, both agreed that the proper place for marriage would be in Kansas City.


They reached Kansas City yesterday morning. After ordering luncheon at the Blossom house, the bride-to-be concluded to run up town and visit the shopping district. She would return by 6 o'clock, she said, after which they would secure a clergyman who would undoubtedly be glad to perform the marriage ceremony. Before leaving Quist says he gave her currency which brought the bill to about $1,000, he later estimated.

After strolling about the city yesterday afternoon, he returned to the Blossom house a few minutes before 6 o'clock. At the desk he was given a letter, which he opened with indifference, though he noticed the handwriting was Mrs. Johnson's.

He began to take a lively interest when he read the following note:

"Dear Ducky -- I hate to write this, but I must. Time has shown me that we could not be happy together, so I must leave you. Don't say anything about this and the folks in Amarillo will never know the difference. Ever your loving, LULU. P. S. -- Thanks."

At the Union depot he learned that a woman answering Mrs. Johnson's description had purchased a ticket for Pittsburg, Pa., and had boarded a Chicago & Alton train. He then conferred with the detective department.

"Yes, I mean to have my property back," he declared at police headquarters. "She may have made a fool of me, but I'm going to get even with her."

Labels: , , , , , ,

April 8, 1909


Arraigned on Charge of Receiving
Stolen Property, Former Deputy
County Marshal's Out on Bond.

Bert Brannon, no longer deputy county marshal, entered police headquarters yesterday afternoon shortly after his arraignment on a charge of receiving stolen property and his release on bond, and secured his possessions in custody of the police. He calmly loaded his revolver and placed the deputy marshal's star in his pocket. He talked with several friends in the lobby.

"Did you ever hear of such a joke?" he asked. "Why, I have the receipt in my pocket from the jeweler who sold me the diamond. But I'm going to get even with the man who started this," and he nodded significantly at Captain Walter Whitsett's office. "Some people will wish they had never heard of me."

Brannon was arrested Tuesday evening and kept in the holdover at headquarters until yesterday afternoon, despite the efforts of political friends to secure his release. He was arraigned yesterday afternoon before Justice Theodore Remley on a charge of receiving stolen property, pleaded not guilty and was released on a bond signed by his attorney, T. A. J. Mastin, and Alderman James Pendergast. Brannon's preliminary hearing will be had before Justice Remley this morning at 9 o'clock. The property in question is a diamond stud.

An attorney made an attempt to speak to Brannon yesterday morning while he was held on an "investigation" charge, and was refused permission. He immediately went to the prosecuting attorney and demanded that a warrant be issued for the chief of police and Inspector Ryan, charging a violation of the statutes for holding Brannon "incommunicado" for more than twenty-four hours. The warrant was not issued.

Joel B. Mayes, county marshal, yesterday called in the commission of Brannon, who had been a deputy marshal. Mr. Mayes said he wanted no unpleasant comment on the men connected with his office. The fact that he let out this deputy, he said, should not be construed as meaning that he was convinced of Brannon's guilt or innocence. Mr. Mayes dictated a statement to this effect.

Labels: , , , , ,

March 1, 1909


Burglars Steal Jewelry From Resi-
dence of W. B. Laughlin.

Thieves apparently believe members of the Pinkerton detective agency "easy pickings," as two have suffered at the hands of burglars within the last three days. Pinkerton Patrolman H. A. Stafford lost his revolver by having a burglar take it away from him. Yesterday a sneak thief entered the home of W. B. Laughlin, 1213 Troost avenue, superintendent of the agency, and stole a lot of jewelry. Articles missing reported to the police were two solitaire diamond rings, one string of gold beads, one gold locket and one gold watch.

Burglars entered the residence of Mrs. Alice Woodard, 1522 Lydia avenue, Saturday night and stole one gold watch, chain, locket, $11 in old coins and a quantity of wearing apparel. Entrance was gained by breaking the lock on a rear door.

Clothes were stolen by a sneak thief from the home of Mrs. G. W. Taylor, 2325 Mersington avenue, late Saturday night.

Labels: , , , ,

January 30, 1909


Clothes No Index to the Room Guests
Will Take.

"You can't always tell the kind of a room a man wants by the number of diamonds that he wears or by his dress," George North, chief clerk at the Kupper hotel, said yesterday. "The fellows who wear the biggest diamonds and wear the swellest clothes often are the ones who ask for the $1 rooms. They spend all their money for diamonds and clothes, eat at a 15 cent restaurant and want the cheapest rooms.

"It is often the man who wears the plain, simple business clothes who want the best rooms. They usually want the best there is going and are able to pay for it."

Labels: , ,

January 29, 1909


Man Who Tried It On Held to the
Criminal Court.

"I am not inclined to regard very highly any young girl or young woman who, after an acquaintance of a single week, would allow a man to wear or even take her diamond ring," said Justice Shoemaker to Ethel Donohue, 1112 Tracy avenue, yesterday. Ethel was in court as prosecuting witness against Thomas C. Tracy, whom she charged with stealing her diamond ring and afterwards pawning it.

It developed that Tracy had tried on the ring and was unable to remove it from his finger. He promised to have it cut off, which he did. Then he would have it repaired and return it, which he did not. Instead, he took the ring to a pawn broker and got $15 for it. Then he departed for Chicago. Detective James Orford went to Chicago and brought him back. Tracy's father sent the money to Detective Orford to redeem the ring. Ethel was given h er ring in court yesterday.

"I would like," concluded the justice, "to free this young man on these charges, and I am inclined to think that you," said he to the girl, "are as much to blame as he." Tracy was held for the criminal court on $500 bond.

Labels: , , , , ,

January 25, 1909


Interesting Relic in Possession of
Kansas City Woman.

Family keepsakes and treasures often are handed down from one generation to another, but seldom has a family been known to preserve a family treasure, with the historical lore surrounding it as has the wife of patrolman Walt Doman, 5506 Scarritt street. The keepsake is a silver case watch with hammered gold works and was presented to an ancestor on the battlefield of Waterloo.

The watch is enclosed in a solid silver case and is wound by a key inserted in the back of the case. The hands are hammered gold and practically all of the inside parts of the watch are made of gold. Only the wheels and bearings liable to wear are made of steel.

All flat parts of the watch are engraved in the old style of engraving, imitating vines and leaves. On the back of the gold sheet covering the works is the name, "Thomas Edwards Wellington, 10 22." In large old English engraving are the letters "R W" being the initials of a Robert Wellington, to whom the watch belonged when the battle of Waterloo was fought.

Robert Wellington was shot and mortally wounded in that battle, and before he died he presented the watch to his bosom friend. That man was a Simpson, and an ancestor of Mrs. Doman, whose name was Nannie Simpson. The watch has been in her family ever since and is highly regarded as a family keepsake.

Labels: , , ,

October 18, 1908


While Out Getting a Cigar, Thief
Steals $150 Diamond.

W. McDonald, proprietor of a jewelry store at 105 Scarritt Arcade, Ninth and Walnut streets, took a notion last night about 9:30 o'clock that he wanted to smoke. He stepped into a cigar store in the same bulding and was not gone ten seconds, he thinks. In that time someone had entered the store and stolen a diamond valued at $150.


June 12, 1907



Stole Bag Containing $1,000 in
Money and $2,500 Worth of
Jewels in Sexton Hotel
Cafe Last April.

After a successful flight that entailed many narrow escapes from pursuing officers, and on an itinerary through St. Louis, Chicago, New York and Liverpool, J. H. Andrews, negro, the Sexton hotel waiter who robbed Henry and Mrs. Kolker, actors, of $3,500 in money and jewels while they were taking lunch in the cafe the night of April 22, was captured in Paris yesterday. Andrews was a postcard fiend, it is said, and the fact that he constantly sent them to a negro woman in this city was the cause of his undoing.

Local police authorities give Patrolman Daniel Keenan credit for the capture of Andrews. A few hours after the negro's flight from the city, Keenan somehow discovered the woman friend and obtained from her a promise to help him discover his whereabouts.

Taking a tip from her, he went to the Union depot, where she said Andrews had taken a train for St. Louis. There Keenan discovered the negro had purchased a ticket for St. Louis , but that it had never been taken up on the train. The patrolman then believed, he says, that he was working on a blind lead and, returning, told the woman about it.

"Oh, that's all right," she assured Keenan. "He is one of those postcard fiends and if we wait awhile we will hear from him that way," and the policeman decided to wait, as there was nothing else to do.

The following day the negress called police headquarters and wanted Keenan.

"First card," she said. "I think he is going on through St. Louis, for he did not give his address."

The next card received by the woman came from Chicago, the next from Buffalo and then one from New York. There was a long interval before the one from Liverpool arrived. Even that one did not give an address, and the name signed was merely "Andrews," in a protracted scrawl.

The post card from Paris arrived Wednesday. It bore on the back a few words of greeting and the street address of the rooming house where Andrews was stopping, followed by a line asking for a letter from his woman friend. This was turned over to Patrolman Keenan, who cabled at once to the police headquarters at Paris asking Andrew's arrest on a grand larceny charge.

A cablegram telling of the negro's arrest by Parisian police came addressed to Keenan at police headquarters yesterday morning, and word has been returned to hold Andrews for extradition.

Henry Kolker was playing an engagement with the Barker Stock Company at the Shubert theater the week of April 22. It was after the play on the night of that date that he and Mrs. Kolker, accompanied by a woman friend, went into the cafe of the Sexton hotel, where they were stopping for supper.

Mrs. Kolker carried a large purse-handbag, which contained the money, 10 $100 bills and jewels. They sat at a small table, upon which there was not room for the handbag. Mrs. Kolker placed the bag on the floor beside her, and the three remained in the cafe until all the other patrons had gone. It was near closing time when they finished their supper, and in the hurry of departure Mrs. Kolker left the bag behind.

It was an hour later that she discovered her loss, which was at once reported to the hotel people and the police.

Detectives at work on the case next morning found that J. H. Andrews, a negro waiter, had suddenly left the hotel. In his rooms they found Mrs. Kolker's empty bag and letters which led them to believe the negro had gone to St. Louis.

Mr. Kolker said he carried a large sum of money because he was preparing to leave for Australia, where he had a theatrical engagement. He was to have sailed the latter part of may, but the loss of his savings made it necessary to cancel the engagement. He offered a $500 reward for the arrest of the thief and the recovery of the jewels.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

June 5, 1908





Was Once Before the Prosecutor to
Explain His Sudden Wealth
Shortly After Fanning
Was Slain.

At 11 o'clock last night Clark Wix was formally charged with the murder of John ("Dutch") Mason, the horse trader who disappeared from here January 26 last. Mrs. Lizzie Mason, the murdered man's widow, and Maud Wilson, with whom he had lived, both went to Camden, Mo., yesterday and identified the body.

It was after hearing statements made by the women, after they had identified property pawned by Wix, that John W. Hogan, assistant prosecutor, concluded to charge Wix with murder in the first degree. The information was drawn and sworn to by Mrs. Lizzie Mason. Then it was filed with Justice Michael Ross and a warrant issued on which Wix will be arrested this morning. His statement is to be taken at police headquarters this morning. His arraignment will be later.

The body of Mason arrived in the city yesterday afternoon and was sent to the morgue of Freeman and Marshall, 3015 Main street. There is a large hole in Mason's skull on the right side at the base, and another behind the left ear. A deep fracture connects both holes. It is the opinion of Detectives Charles Halderman and James Fox, who have developed he case, that the murder was committed with a hammer. A search will be made for the weapon.

In looking over his pawn slips Fred Bailey, secretary to the inspector, found where Clark Wix had pawned two watches and, as Mason had a watch when he disappeared, Detective Ralph Trueman was sent to Silverman's pawn shop, 1215 Grand avenue, after the property. He came back with a man's hunting case watch and a woman's watch with a diamond in the back. He also got a diamond ring and an Elk ring from the same shop.


Both Mrs. Mason and Maud Wilson quickly identified the man's watch as having been Mason's. They were not told of the other watch, and Mrs. Mason was asked if she ever possessed a watch.

"Yes," she said, "a small watch with a diamond in the back of the case." When shown the other watch which had been in pawn in Wix's name both women identified it immediately as Mrs. Mason's, and the Wilson woman said that Mason had the watch with him when he left that fatal Sunday, January 26.

According to the pawn sheets Wix pawned Mason's watch on February 10 and not until May 6 was Mrs. Mason's watch pledged. The police think that the diamonds in the Elk ring and other ring originally were part of Mason's horseshoe pin in which were fifteen stones, three large ones at the top and six smaller ones on each side.

John Hogan spent most of the night taking statements in the Wix case. Miss Wilson in her statement said that on April 26 last, her birthday, Clark Wix made her a present of a diamond ring. At the same time he had a stone set into a stud for himself. L. L. Goldman of 1307 Grand avenue, who set the two stones for Wix, also made a statement. Both persons said that the jewels were of almost the exact size of the three large stones in Mason's horseshoe pin. Miss Wilson said that when Wix gave h er the ring he said: "Now, if my wife ever finds out that I gave you this ring you must tell her that you bought it from me."

The third stone thought to have come from Mason's pin is believed now to be in an Elk charm worn my Wix when he was arrested.


W. A. Marshall, a liveryman, said in his statement that on the Sunday Mason disappeared he called up from Wix's transfer barn, 1406 Walnut street, and said: "I'll be over with Wix to see you in a little while about buying that horse." But, though that was about 1 p. m., Mason never came.

James Conely and John Lewis, horseshoers at Fourteenth and Walnut streets, stated that they often saw John Mason about Wix's barn, which was directly across the street from them.

It was the intention to question Wix last night, but that had to be abandoned until today. Wix has not yet been informed that he is charged with murder. When arrested he asked no explanation, though it was 1 o'clock Wednesday morning, and since he has been held in the matron's room at headquarters he has taken no apparent interest in why he was locked up and no one allowed to see him.


It developed yesterday that two months ago, on information furnished Detectives "Lum" Wilson and J. L. Ghent, Wix was taken before Prosecutor Kimbrell to be questioned in regard to the murder of Thomas W. Fanning, the aged recluse who was brutally killed with a hammer in his home, 1818 Olive street, December 31, 1906.

He was known to have hauled Mrs. Fanning to the general hospital, and it was reported that he said later: "Somebody is going to have to kill that old guy, Fanning, living all alone out there with all that coin." It was shortly after the Fanning murder that Wix went into business for himself, but in his statement at that time he said that his uncle, Clark Wix, postmaster of Butler, Mo., had furnished him the money. That matter will be reopened now.

Police Judge Harry G Kyle was yesterday retained by relatives to defend Clark Wix. Kyle comes from the same county, Bates, in which the Wix family live. All sorts of influence was brought to bear yesterday to get to see and talk to the prisoner, but Captain Walter Whitsett would not permit it.


Thomas W. Wix, a farmer from near Yates Center, Kas., arrived yesterday and it was he and Clark Wix, the uncle from Butler, who retained Judge Kyle. Rush C. Lake, assistant attorney general, went to the station and, according to Captain Whitsett, threatened to sue out a writ of habeas corpus if not allowed to see Wix. He was told that such action would mean in immediate charge of murder and there it ceased. Then other lawyers tried the same tactics and failed.

In June, 1906, Clark Wix was married to Miss Harriet Way, a nurse at the general hospital, who had served barely one of her two years.. At that time Wix was driving an ambulance for the Carroll-Davidson Undertaking Company, which handled all the city dead from the hospital, and it was his frequent trips there that brought him in contact with his wife.

Miss Way lived near Shelbina, Mo., and it was reported soon after her marriage that her family came near ostracising her for what she had done. In about a year, however, Wix had diamonds of all kinds and frequently gave his wife gems until she was the envy of her nurse friends at the hospital. Mrs. Wix was not informed last night that her husband had been charged with murder.

When Clark Wix was examined by County Prosecutor I. B. Kimrell and City Detectives Lum Wilson and J. L. Ghent, shortly after the murder of Thomas Fanning in his home at 1818 Olive street, on New Year's eve, 1906, Wix was not plainly told what charge might be placed against him. No person, outside of Chief of Police John Hayes, Wix's wife, the detectives and the prosecutor knew that Wix was under arrest. None of Wix's political friends knew of it or made any effort to secure his release. In recalling the questioning of Wix at that time Mr. Kimbrell said last evening:

"We asked Wix how he came by diamonds he was wearing and how he found the wherewithal to purchase his teams and wagons. He showed us that the original story about his owning many large diamonds was an exaggeration and that he possessed only two small ones, and he proved that he held title to only three teams and a wagon or two. He told us the size of his salary and how much he had been saving out of it each week. We corroborated his explanation by his wife and the neighbors. We never told him he was held for the Fanning murder. We discovered that we had no case against him and dropped the matter without letting his name be connected with the murder."

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

June 3, 1908





Ray County Coroner Had Overlooked
Important Clues to Dead Man's
Identity -- Body to Be

When A. E. Dudley of 1825 Grand avenue, went to Camden, Ray county, Missouri, yesterday to look at three bodies found in the river there Sunday and Monday, he did not find the body of his friend, Fred Noosem, his partner in business, but he brought back the description of a man who disappeared here in January. Detectives Charles Halderman and James Fox say that it is no other than John Mason, known as "Dutch." His description and apparel prove that beyond a shadow of a doubt, and a deep hole in the skull behind the left ear indicates that he had been murdered.

Mason was a horse trader who owned twelve horses, a hack, a brougham and a runabout. He lived with a woman named Maude Wilson at 1403 Main street. On January 26, last, Maud Wilson told the detectives that she and Mason counted his money.

"He had with him just then $585," she said. "He wore a horseshoe pin in which were fifteen diamonds. The pin was locked in a lavender tie with a patent fastener. He also wore a solitaire diamond ring, a gold ring and a fine gold watch and chain. After he left my house that day he was never seen again to my knowledge."

When Dudley discovered that one of the bodies had on clothing bearing Kansas City marks he took a complete description of everything. Here is the description, which tallies exactly with the missing Mason: "He was between 24 and 26 years old, 5 feet 6 inches tall and weighed 140 pounds. He was smooth shaved and had dark brown hair. There was no jewelry on the body, but in the tie is the remains of a pin from which the setting has been nipped. The pin is locked with a patent fastener."

Halderman and Fox say that there is no doubt that this is the body of the missing horse trader. Dudley says that the coroner of Ray county buried the body without a coffin and took no cognizance of the many identification remarks. The other two bodies found there have been claimed by relatives and removed. One was a suicide from Kansas City, Kas., and the other that of Harry Tuoroff of Independence, drowned while hunting ducks near Sibley, Mo.

There is not one man in a thousand who would have taken any further notice of the body after he saw that it was not the one he sought. It happens that Dudley formerly was a detective, and that instinct led him to take notice of these things and report them to the police here, a matter which the Ray county coroner had overlooked. Fox and Halderman have been on the case about six weeks. Arrests are expected in a few days when a sensation may be looked for.

The Ray county coroner will be ordered to exhume and hold the body of Mason. The detectives on the case say that from the first they suspected that Mason had been murdered, but until Dudley came in yesterday with the fact that the body had been found, it would have been hard to prove. The first thing to establish is the corpus delicti, the presence of the murdered body. Now that that is established they expect plain sailing.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

May 5, 1908



Porch Climber Had Stolen Watches
on December 26, 1906, and
Buried Them in a To-
mato Can.

By a thorough search of police records Fred G. Bailey, secretary to the inspector of detectives, yesterday located the owners for most of the jewelry which was found Saturday night at Nineteenth and McGee streets. The valuables were found by John E. Linings, 317 East Nineteenth street, a boy who was digging for worms. It was all safely planted in an old rusty tin can which, according to the record, had been in the ground just one year, four months and two days when found. The can, which was delivered to Lieutenant Hammil at the Walnut street station, contained four gold watches, one gold cross, one gold cuff button, two brooches, one an old came; one gold and one enamel heart, and one string of three-strand gold beads.

Bailey began at January, 1906, and it was not until he reached December 26 of that year that his efforts were rewarded. On that night porch climbers entered the home of E. H. Stimson, 3145 Broadway, while the family was in the siting room below. The thief or thieves secured two ladies' gold watches, one an open face watch, with E. A. S. on the case in big letters, and the other marked "Emmett to Olive." They also got a long gold watch chain and five gold rings.

On the same evening the home of C. M. Gilbert, then living at 3129 Washington street, was entered, probably by the same "climbers" as it was in a similar manner. There three gold watches were stolen. One, an open face watch, had "1876" engraved on it and there was a long chain to it. Another was engraved "Annie B Gilbert" and the last was undescribed. The thief also got a black seal card case and $40 in cash.

The gold engraved cross, the cuff button, two brooches and two hearts have not yet been identified. Detective Ralph Trueman was sent out to locate the robbed families and tell them of their luck. He found Mr. Stimson still living at the same number but Mr. Gilbert, he said, had left the city. Neighbors said the family had moved to Ohio. They believed it was Dayton. Secretary Bailey will endeavor to locate Mr. Gilbert and make him happy.

Mr. Stimson, who is a real estate man, was very much pleased when told of the find. "I recall the night we were robbed," he said. "It was the night after Christmas and about 8 o'clock. The thieves climbed the front porch and ransacked the two front rooms. The watch marked 'E. A. S.' is the property of my daughter, Edith Aileen Stimson. She will be more pleased than anybody as she was broken hearted over her loss."

Many conjectures have been made as to how and why the can of jewelry was buried in the ground and especially why it was left there. Many police believe that the thief, after burying his loot, fell into the hands of the law and may now be doing time in some prison. Others think the man who put the can there must be dead.

It is not an unusual thing for burglars to bury plunder, especially watches and other jewelry which is easily identified. After it has been buried long enough for the police to cease to look for the lost valuables they can easily be dug up and either sold or pawned with less chance of detection. If the thief is in prison the police believe he would have some day returned and disposed of his loot.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

April 14, 1908





Waiters, in Panic, Appeal to House
Detective, and He Tells Inof-
fensive Citizen That Wife
Mustn't Smoke There.

A faultlessly dressed couple occupied seats at a table in the main dining room of the Hotel Baltimore cafe last night. It was plain to be seen that they were English.

The dining room was well filled with men and women. The orchestra was playing a piece in waltz time. Jewels gleamed beneath the many lights.

Suddenly the buzz of conversation died away. All eyes in the dining room became centered upon the table where sat the English man and English woman.

With graceful ease the woman had extracted a cork-tipped cigarette from an exquisitely jeweled case and lifted it to her lips with dainty fingers. A moment more and a thin wreath of smoke curled above her head and -- Kansas City received its first touch of the Continent and the Orient.

What to do?

The whites of the eyes of the waiters grew larger, whispered words passed over the adjoining tables and the orchestra played on.

The waiter at the table where sat the English hurried to the side of the head waiter. Everybody except the man and the woman watched the conference of waiters. The cause of the commotion apparently saw nothing of what was transpiring about them. The head waiter hurried to the lobby. He conferred with the house detective.

"Sure," said the detective. "I'll fix that."

The head waiter returned to the dining room. He looked as though he had just received a liberal tip. The diners eagerly awaited the outcome.

They were not kept long in suspense. Soon the form of the house detective loomed large in the doorway. He really looked the imposing majesty of the law as he crossed the threshold. The head waiter moved his head to one side. The detective veered his course in that direction. Then he did the most detective like thing imaginable. He walked up to a well-known private citizen of American extraction who, with his wife, had just finished a light meal and said:

"I wish you wouldn't let your wife smoke in here. It's against the house rules."

Did the private citizen laugh? Indeed he did not. He didn't even smile over the detective's blunder. What he said was direct and to the point, and when he had finished saying it the house sleuth apologized and cast his eagle eye over the dining room for the real offender. Then he made the same request of the Englishman that he made of the professional man. There was a hearty:

"All right -- very sorry -- we didn't know it was against the rules."

And that ended it. The lights still shone brightly, diamonds glistened, the orchestra passed from adante doloroso to allegro furioso.

The Englishman was Mr. C. Murray, secretary of the colonial office, London, and the lady was his wife.

"It was embarrassing," said Mr. Murray afterwards. "We didn't intend to break any of the house rules and when the man came to me and asked my wife to desist she did so at once. I asked the man if it was against the law of your country for a lady to smoke in a dining room. He said it was not, but that it was against the house rules."

Secretary Murray said it was the custom for ladies to smoke in public dining rooms in London and nothing was thought of it. This is his first visit to America.

Secretary Murray said his wife is prominently connected in England, but declined to divulge her name before her marriage. Mr. and Mrs. Murray have been traveling through Mexico.

"We have been over your city," said the secretary, "and I consider it a well laid out city, capable of great extension and a very progressive metropolis, but," he added, "you have not progressed to the point where ladies are allowed the freedom that they are in the old country."

Mr. and Mrs. Murray will depart for Chicago this evening.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

January 7, 1908


Miss Minie Lurie the Victim of a
Clever Sharper.

Miss Minnie Lurie of 807 Lydia avenue, reported to the police that a man who boarded at her home had disappeared with $75 she had loaned him, as well as five diamond rings, two gold watches and a gold bracelet. The man, who represented himself to be preparing to go into business here, borrowed the $75 "for a few days" and one night playfully grabbed the jewelry from Miss Lurie's hand while they were seated in the parlor. He said he would have the watch fixed, and when Miss Lurie objected to his retaining the jewelry, he said:

"Can't you trust me?"

She said she could. The police can find no trace of him.

Labels: , ,

July 27, 1907


Jewels Valued at $1,000 Restored to
Owner by Lawson Belknap.

The four rings set with diamonds lost by Mrs. H. W. Harry, 1849 Independence avenue, a few days ago on the sidewalk on Walnut near Tenth, have been found and restored to her by Lawson Belknap, 14 years old, of Merriam, Kas. He says that he discovered them lying on the sidewalk in a handkerchief. Mr. Harry presented the honest lad with a $50 bill.

"The jewels are worth $1,000. One of them is an heirloom. Young Balknap did not solicit or wish for a reward. He advertised in the newspapers for the rightful owner. At the same time I advertised for the finder. Between the two advertisments the lost property was restored," said Mr. Harry.

Labels: , , , , ,

April 17, 1907


City Chemist Cross Receives One He
Dropped Years Ago.

Four years ago W. M. Cross, city chemist, lost from his watch chain a charm descriptive of his college fraternity. At the time he lent every effort to recover it, but of no avail and as the years sped on he forgot all about his loss. Yesterday he was seated in his laboratory when a boy about 15 years old entered and introduced himself as W. M. Cross. He said that he had a watch charm with "W. M. Cross" engraved upon it, that it was not his property and he had often desired to meet the man to whom it might possibly belong. The long lost charm was exhibited, and Dr. Cross immediately identified it as his property.

"Where did you get it, my son?" asked the doctor.

"It is a short story," replied the boy. "I am employed in a Main street haberdasher store, and a few years ago my mother married a man by the name of Cross. My initials being W. M. and having assumed the name of Cross, my stepfather gave me the charm, saying that it had been found by the man that gave it to him in a street car. Ever since I have been wearing the charm, and recently I read in the newspapers about W. M. Cross, city chemist, and I concluded that in all possibility the charm was your property. I am glad to be of some service to you by returning the jewel."

The boy refused a reward, but after much persuasion accepted a silver dollar, which he said he would keep as a momento.

Labels: , , ,

January 14, 1907



Gained and Entrance by Prying Open a Window in the Dining Room.
Maid Asleep on an Upper Floor Was Not Disturbed.

When R. S. Crohn, public administrator, 100 East Twenty-ninth street, returned home from the theater with his wife and two daughters about 11:30 o'clock Saturday night he found the bolt on the front door had been set in such manner as to make it impossible to open the door excepting from the inside. He tried his night latch key in the door, but it would not open. For several minutes he fumbled about the door trying to effect an entrance. He then became convinced that some intruder had entered the house, as the bolt could only be set from the inside.

Mr. Crohn started toward the rear of the house, and on reaching the side yard saw a window into the dining room wide open. Without saying a word to his wife or daughters he climbed into the open window and went to the telephone and informed police headquarters. Then he made a search through the house, but found no one within, though there were indications on every hand of burglars having been present. After opening the front door and admitting his wife and daughters a more thorough search of the house was made.

In the dining room a pile of silverware lay on the table evidently prepared for removal. A dresser drawer in Mr. Crohn's room stood open, and a tin box in which considerable jewelry, especially heirlooms, and a collection of rare old coins was kept, was missing. The real value of the contents of the box to the family is inestimatable, but the market value is more than $1,000.

A hand shopping bag belonging to the eldest daughter, and containing $15 was taken from her room, and though there were several pieces of jewelry in the room they were not molested. In the second drawer of the dresser from which the tin box of jewelry was taken was some money, but the burglars evidently were frightened away before continuing their search of this drawer.

It is believed that the burglars were at work when Mr. Crohn was fumbling with the latch on the front door in trying to open it. Footprints in the sod below the window through which entrance to the house was had, showed distinctly the marks of two different pairs of shoes. Marks on the window showed that it had been pried open with a "jimmie."
The burglars had not been in the house a great while before Mr. Crohn's return home, as the maid who had been out during the evening, returned about an hour before, and when she entered the house, she went through the dining room, and at that time the window was closed. The made went directly to her room on the second floor and retired. She was asleep when Mr. Crohn and his family returned.

Detectives Lum Wilson and Alonzo Ghent were assigned to work on the case, but last night no arrests had been made.

Mr. Crohn has offered a reward of $250 for the return of the stolen articles.

Labels: , , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

The Son of Jesse James is Accused of a Train Robbery at Leeds ... Can he get a fair trial in Kansas City?
The Trial of Jesse James, Jr.

>>More KC Books<<

As an Amazon Associate this site may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory