Find Rare Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas - A Celebration of Kansas City Past!


Old News from Kansas City - Vintage New Items
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

February 3, 1910


Police Board Investigates Heim De-
liveries in East Bottoms.

The Heim Brewing Company was called on yesterday to explain the presence of twenty-five cases of its beer in the house of a Belgian in the East Bottoms near the Milwaukee bridge. This with a large quantity of whisky and wine was found there Sunday, January 23, by police from No. 8 station. They were disguised as railroad men and reported that they had no trouble in getting whatever they wanted, the Belgian's wife waiting on them as bar maid.

"It is not unusual," said a driver for the brewery who delivers in that district, "for five or six cases of beer to be left at one Belgian home on Saturday, especially where they keep boarders. One Belgian will easily consume a whole case over Sunday. All sales are cash and many times one person will buy several cases saying they are for different parties who left the money with him because he lived near the road."

An agent for the brewery explained that if the sales had been made in any other part of the city but the East Bottoms it would have caused suspicion and an investigation.

"But who would suspect a bootlegging joint down among the Belgians?" he said. "We never thought of such a thing and therefore the sales caused no remark."

"But the driver who sold the beer is still in your employ, I see," insisted Commissioner Thomas R. Marks. "Does that show good faith with this board?"

"We do not think the driver is to blame," said the agent. "It was an everyday occurrence. And how is the company to blame?"

"Well," said Mr. Marks, "we have no right to try the driver. This board now is holding up two of the Heim licenses on account of sales made to the Buffalo Club, a lid-lifting organization, and I think when it holds up about three more next July you will keep an eye on where your beer goes when delivered to other than saloons."

Judge R. B. Middlebrook made no remark other than to say that the case would be taken under advisement and decided later.

Labels: , , , , ,

November 6, 1909


Mrs. Carson Says Saloonkeeper Sold
Her Son That Number.

Suit for $300 damages, brought by Mrs. I. M. Carson against the Kansas City Breweries Company and James Meany, a saloonkeeper at Sixth and Main streets, was begun yesterday afternoon in Judge John G. Park's division of the circuit court.

Mrs. Carson alleges that her son, Claude, 18 years of age, was sold six glasses of beer at Meaney's saloon, one year ago. The Missouri statute allows the parents of a minor who is sold drinks in a saloon to recover $50 for each drink.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

August 10, 1909


Ensign Heazlitt of Salvation Army
Tells of Good That Is Being

It was stated yesterday by Ensign Blanche Heazlitt of the Salvation Army, who has charge of the penny ice fund, that more than 400 poor families are now being supplied by that means. The ice distributed in two sections of the city is donated. In the East Bottoms it is donated by the Kansas City Breweries Company through the Heim brewery. In the West Bottoms the Interstate Ice Company gives five tons each day for distribution in that section.

"For the North End, the McClure flats, Warden court and for the homes of many needy intermediate families," said Ensign Heazlitt, "ice is purchased out of the penny ice fund. We are still able to give ten pounds for a penny, and on Saturday we allow them to purchase twenty pounds, as there is no delivery on Sunday.

"The ice so delivered is not to be cracked up and used in drinking water. There are babies at most of the homes and it is used to keep their milk cool and sweet and to preserve what little else perishable the family may have. At first many of the mothers were wasteful, not knowing how to preserve ice, but I made a trip through the penny ice district and taught the mothers how to keep it by means of plenty of old newspaper and sacks.

"Some of them have made rude ice boxes which enables them to keep the ice longer than before. By next year we hope to have depots distributed throughout the district where ice may be secured.

"I have often wished that the subscribers to the fund could have gone with me on my trip. They would be delighted to see the good their money is doing. We consider penny ice the best thing that has ever been done for the unfortunate of this city. Many of the mothers cannot speak English but they all show their gratitude in their worn, wan faces.

"The arrival of the penny ice wagon in a neighborhood is always greeted by the children, who shout, 'Penny ice, penny ice!'

"Next year we want to be able to start out the wagons in time to supply the unfortunate just as soon as warm weather arrives. There is no doubt that the distribution of ice has saved the lives of many helpless little ones this year."

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

July 27, 1909


Mary O'Neill Pleads Not Guilty to
Charge of Husband.

Mary O'Neill, who took a shot at her husband, Frank P. O'Neill, in the general office of the Muehleback Brewing Company at Eighteenth and Main streets Monday evening, was arraigned in the justice court of James B. Shoemaker yesterday afternoon.

She pleaded "not guilty" to the charge of assault with intent to kill preferred against her by her husband. Hearing was set for 2 o'clock in the afternoon of August 5.

The defendant was released on $700 bond.

Labels: , , , ,

July 26, 1909



Wife Says She Was Nervous and
Excited, and That Shooting in
Muehleback Brewery Was
Only to Frighten Him.

A daintily dressed woman talking through the grate of the cashier's window in the general office of the Muehlebach Brewing Company to her husband, a bookkeeper, at 7:30 o'clock last night, attracted little attention from the beer wagon drivers who happened to be about. Sharp words between members of the opposite sexes in the vicinity of Eighteenth and Main streets even at such an early hour in the evening are not unusual.

Suddenly the woman, Mrs. Mary O'Neill of 431 Ann avenue, Kansas City, Kas., opened her chatelaine bag and inserted her hand.

"Mary, what are you going to do?" asked her husband, Frank P. O'Neill, of 3719 Woodland avenue. Mr. and Mrs. O'Neill have been separated since January 1.

The woman drew a small revolver from the bag and fired at close range, the bullet grazing Mr. O'Neill's neck beneath his right ear and lodging inside the neck band of his shirt. Mrs. O'Neill then dropped the weapon and gave herself up to John Glenn, night watchman of the brewery.


At No. 4 police station Mrs. O'Neill occupied a cell but a few feet from the operating table where Dr. J. M. McKamey was dressing her husband's wound. She was highly excited, nervous and penitent.

"I did not mean to kill him at all," she said, "but he has mistreated me every time I have approached him for money for my support, and I could not help but be on my guard all the time. When he told me to get out of the office tonight I got excited and fired when I only wanted to frighten him.

"My husband and I were married in a Catholic church two years ago," Mrs. O'Neill went on. "He married me without letting me know that he had been married twice before, and that both of these former wives are still living. During the last days of December last year I was sick and somewhat of a burden to him. On the evening of the New Year he left me sick in bed and never came back.

"I have since kept house for my brother, John Semen, at my home on Ann avenue, Kansas City, Kas. The two trips I have taken to see my husband and ask for money from him to buy clothes for myself have not been successful.


Frank O'Neill was not sure last night that he would prosecute his wife. His father, Sergeant F. P. O'Neill of No. 6 police station, however, said he would prosecute.

"I have never mistreated my wife," said the son. "It is true that I have been married before. Mary's shooting at me without warning from her, although my mother called me over the telephone half an hour before, and said Mary was on the way to the brewery to kill me."

Dr. McKamey said that O'Neill's would would easily heal.

Mrs. O'Neill is 28 years old.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

January 2, 1909



Last Tuesday Night a Prisoner Even
Stole the Lock from the Hold-
over Door -- Some Noted
Escapes There.
Escaped Prisoner James Douglass
Prisoner With a Record Who Escaped From Central Station Holdover.

The monthly change list showing the assignments of police for January was posted yesterday. The changing of a jailer, as a rule, is of little not, but the list shows that Jailer Philip Welch has been removed from headquarters and made relief jailer, and jailer William Long, who was relief jailer, is stationed permanently at headquarters. Welch has been at headquarters over one year. In that time there were two jail deliveries on his watch.

On Decmeber 22 Patrolman J. D. Brown arrested James Douglass, alias Ryan alias martin. He was wanted in Boston for forgery and officers were notified to come for him. Douglass had the freedom of the corridor and gave little trouble. In fact, he made himself useful and gained the confidence of some of his keepers.

Last Tuesday, Chief of Detectives Thomas Sheehan and Detective Patrick J. Gaddis of Boston arrived here at 4 p. m. and at once went to headquarters and had a heart to heart talk with the prisoner. Of course he was willing to go back. He was very accommodating, even offering to stand half the night guarding himself on the way back and let the officers sleep.

At 9 o'clock Wednesday morning the Boston officers went to the station preparatory to taking their prisoner back. He was gone. So were four other prisoners, three city cases and a safe keeper.


The story then came out. Douglass had taken French leave of the city bastile about 2 a. m., leaving no future address. He had taken the lock from the main door leading into the holdover by removing the screws. Some say he took the lock with him -- just as a joke, it is supposed. Anyway, two officers have been guarding the opening ever since.

One of those who was taking advantage of the open door made too much noise about it as he ascended the iron stops, and in that manner Jailer Welch was aroused. He generally rested in a tilted chair right at the head of the stairs, but the prisoners went out a door leading from the first landing into the areaway back of the city hall. B. C. Stevens, the man taken back to Texarkana, Tex., Thursday, had an opportunity to gain his freedom, but refused. A new lock was being placed on the door yesterday.

On December 14 a man named Frank Madison was arrested by officers at No. 2 station on complaint of the Royal Brewing Company. He was sent to headquarters and the brewery people were on hand the next day to prosecute him. But he wasn't there. Somehow he was among the missing.

The police got Madison again in a few days, and asked him, "What became of you that time we sent you to headquarters and you weren't there the next day?"

"Oh, I just side-stepped the jailer," he said with a smile.

Some months ago there was a general free-for-all delivery. Twenty-three men got out. Saws were passed in from the outside and two lower bars were sawed and broken. Two desperate Greeks who were being held here for highway robbers and assault with intent to kill for Cripple Creek, Col., authorities, were believed to have been the instigators. They were afterwards recaptured, but it cost the Colorado authorities two trips here to get their men, they having arrived just after the delivery. A negro wanted in Alabama for murder was never recaptured and no attention was paid to the city cases that got away. Several plain drunks and safe keepers squeezed through the hole.

The two deliveries which occurred on Welch's watch are the only real jail breaking since the city holdover was built in 1886. One very small man, years ago, got into the air shaft which led to the top of the building and made his escape. How he did it no one has ever been able to explain. Others tried it after that but found their way blocked.

The man, Douglass, who removed the lock and left his compliments is said to be wanted in other places. On November 7 he was arrested at Twenty-second and Madison streets by Patrolman J. D. Brown and Jailer William Long. A saloonkeeper on the Southwest boulevard accused him of passing a bad check for $20.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

October 4, 1908


They Apply 110 Volts of Elec-
tricity to a Mule With
Tetanus and Animal's
Jaws Relax.

A cure for lockjaw!

Something which would startle the medical world and bring a wave of relief over humanity if it proves to be true.

Two men in Kansas City, Jeff Burgess and William Nutberg, employes of the Heim Brewing company, believe they have discovered this boon to the human race.

A lowly, humble and obstinate mule was the means of this discovery, if discovery it be, and again that much abused animal has proven its usefulness to ungrateful man.

Recently one of the mules used by the brewing company stepped on a rusty nail, and last Thursday this mule showed signs of the dreaded tetanus.

Burgess, who is stable foreman, conceived the idea of giving the mule an electric shock to relax the muscles.

Veterinary surgery?

Medical knowledge?

Neither had anything to do with the conclusion which resulted in a treatment that relaxed the tightened muscles of the mule's jaw and perfected what is thought to be a cure at least in animal tetanus.

When the shock was applied, that of 110 volts of current, the mule was contorted. A few moments after the men who were working for the animal's life were startled, as well as gratified, to see the mule open his jaws. The beast is now able to eat without difficulty, and if he becomes entirely well, the matter will be taken up by physicians and experiments carried out which will demonstrate either the futility or the success of the treatment thus discovered by two men who have neither the learning of science or surgery.

Who knows? It may be that the men, the mule and the current may add one more important discovery to the long list of the twentieth century.

Labels: , ,

September 21, 1908


Their Vehicle Got in Way of a
Street Car.

Several members of a picnic party were injured when a wagon in which they were returning from the outskirts of the city was struck by a Rosedale car at Southwest boulevard and Mayflower street shortly before 1 o'clock yesterday morning. Frank M. Spencer, owner of the wagon, of 2040 Penn street, is suffering from a sprained ankle and possible internal injuries. The others escaped with slight bruises.

The accident is said to have resulted from an effort of the driver to pull from one car track ot the other without noticing the approaching car. The force of the collision threw the vehicle on the sidewalk and against the office building of the Rochester Brewing company.

Labels: , , , , ,

July 11, 1908


May Holliway, Negress, Was Only
Witness, and Doesn't Know Slayer.

Following a quarrel of a week ago, Phil McGill, a negro bottler at the Imperial brewery, and a driver of a beer wagon at the same brewery, met last night and renewed the quarrel, which finally ended in the shooting and killing of McGill. McGill was walking south on the Frisco railroad tracks at 9 o'clock with May Holliway when they met the driver, who is a white man. The negro is said to have told the white man that he did not want any trouble, that it was all over as far as he was concerned

The Holliway girl says the white man replied: "I know that it is over and over right now," and that he then pulled a revolver and shot at McGill. The first time the gun hung fire, and the man pulled the trigger a second time, shooting McGill through the jaw. As McGill fell to the ground the man fired two more shots into his body and then ran. May Holliway was the only witness and is held at No. 3 station. The man who did the shooting is not known to the police and the Holliway negress doe not know his name. McGill was 23 years old and lived near Thirtieth and Summit streets.

Labels: , , , , , ,

June 13, 1908


Ten Men Are Caught Retailing
Liquor in Flood District.

Ten men were arrested yesterday afternoon for trying to swell the height of the flood with "wet goods." About 12 o'clock in the afternoon an express wagon drove up to police headquarters and unloaded ten cases of beer, the result of a raid made by Officer Bert Walters on a place at 276 Central avenue. William Ryan, Philip O'Connor, T. McLane and Frank Hagenbach were the names the arrested men gave.

Chief of Police Bowden arrested four men that were peddling whisky in Armourdale. A jug of whisky, several bottles and a number of glasses were confiscated. Roy Kidwell, L. J. Kidwell, Frank Mercer and Nelson Benson were the men arrested. Two drivers of the Kansas City Breweries Company were arrested by the chief as they came from the Argentine bridge. He sent them to police headquarters, where they were released as soon as it was learned the cases contained empty bottles and not full ones.

Labels: , , , ,

April 1, 1908


Parent May Collect Damages if Li-
quor Is Sold to Minor.

Whether saloons must pay $50 for every offense of selling liquor to a minor with out a parent's written consent is to have its first decision in a justice's court April 3. Yesterday Mrs. Ida M. Carson filed suit in Judge Remley's court against the Kansas City Breweries Company, owners of a saloon at 324 West Sixth street, and James Meaney, a bartender, for $300 damages. Six offenses in the month of March were charged, the minor involved being Claud, the 16-year-old son of Mrs. Carson.

Under this statute, which has never been tested in Kansas City, if saloonists are found guilty the jury has no power to lessen the amount to be paid. Also under conviction there is a penalty that the criminal court may assess for each offense, to say nothing of the forfeiture of license which such conviction would bring with it.

Labels: , , , , ,

March 21, 1908


Royal Brewing Company's Station
Burns -- Loss $10,000.

Fire, which was seen to burst out from every window in the front part of the Royal Brewing Company's warehouse, 1012 Grand avenue, and which spread to the coal and feed store of A. Maas & Son, 1910 Grand avenue, at 12:30 o'clock last night, destroyed property estimated at the value of $10,000. Five horses were burned in the Royal Brewing Company's stables.

It is thought that the fire was of incendiary origin, as the whole front of the building seemed to flash into sudden flame. Passers-by who were the first to see the blaze said that the fire started as if it were an explosion, but that they felt no shock nor did they hear any noise. They said that the fire started and burned as if the walls of the building had been saturated with gasoline or coal oil.

When the fire department arrived at the burning building the blaze had spread widely and the feed store directly on the north had caught. The contents of the brewery, such as whisky and alcohol, made excellent fuel of the fire, and it was difficult to extinguish the blaze.

In the Maas & Son building the burning hay and feed made it hard for the firemen to get at the blaze on account of the dense smoke. All of the horses which were kept in this building were rescued.

The Royal Brewing Company has its headquarters in Weston, Mo., and the building which was destroyed last night was its distributing station in Kansas City. Dancinger Brois. owned the brewing company.

The Royal Brewing Company's building was a one-story brick, and the coal and feed store, which adjoined, was built of frame and was only one story in height. Both buildings were gutted.

Labels: , , , ,

October 26, 1907


Beer Ran in the Gutter, Due to a
Street Car Accident.

Beer literally ran in the gutters last night about 6:30 o'clock, when an east-bound Fifth street car ran into a beer wagon belonging to the Kansas City Breweries Company near Guinotte and Woodland avenues.

Cases of bottles were knocked from the wagon to the pavement and broken, the beer running in an amber stream into the gutters, while the crow of laboring men going home gathered about and watched it with wistful eyes.

Bill Slaughter, 45 years old, a negro, who was stealing a ride on the back of the wagon, was knocked to the tracks, and the front trucks of the car ran over his left ankle, crushing it so badly that his leg will probably have to be amputated below the knee. He was taken to the general hospital.

Homer Dantol, the driver of the wagon, was not hurt. W. B. Hanlon and B. E. Racker, patrolmen, were on the car, and arrested Dell Robinson, the conductor, and W. M. Prettyman, the motorman. They were taken to police headquarters, and released after making a statement.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

June 22, 1907


Contended That Music in a Park Bars
Sale of Liquor There.

D. V. Kent, city auditor, and A. E. Holmes, city treasurer, who were served with an alternative writ of mandamus from the circuit court to compel them to issue a dramshop license to J. J. Norton at the new Electric park, filed their answer yesterday. They contend that the board of police commissioners has authority to refuse to issue dramshop licenses and to decide whether the owner of a license may change the location of his drinking place. The point of the mandamas suit was that such power lay in the mayor and council.

The city offices also contend that a license cannot be legally issued to J. J. Norton because he is the agent of a brewery; because he plans to allow music within hearing distance of the drinking place, and because he does not define the portion of the park in which the intoxicating liquor is to be served.

They further claim that the board of police commissioners does right in refusing to issue dramshop permits for places in the residence section of the city.

Labels: , , , , ,

May 6, 1907


Pole Locked Up Until Police Can Do
Some Investigating.

Newton Reichneker, the Kansas City, Kas., attorney in charge of keeping the properties of the nine enjoined breweries from being again used in the sale of liquor, assisted in a joint raid at the "Patch" about 12 o'clock Saturday night. Frank Zoric, a Pole, was arrested and is charged by Reichneker and two constables with obtaining four cases of beer early Saturday evening, apparently with the purpose of selling it among his neighbors of the "Patch."

Labels: , , ,

February 2, 1907


Saloonkeeper Will Fight Its
Transfer by a Brewery.

The question as to who owns the license, the man who operates the saloon and to whom it is made out or the brewery that backs him, will have another inning before the police board next week.

J. W. Franke operates a saloon at 315 Main street. The Green Tree Brewing Company backed him in the enterprise and paid his license for him, taking from him a slip signed by him in which he agreed to transfer the license "from ---- to ----." Lately it began to look as if the building the saloon is in in would change hands and the brewery undertook to transfer the license to W. L. Scott, of 323 East Eighteenth street, filling in the blank places itself. Franke had prospered and had the money to repay the brewery for the license. He says the brewery refused to take the money or permit him to keep the license. So he has employed a lawyer and will take the matter to the police board on the ground that a saloon license is a franchinse and cannot be transferred without the consent of the board that granted it.

Labels: , , ,

January 8, 1907


Sold Liquor in Their Places -- One
Ordered to Close by February 1.

W. Q. Soper, proprietor of a rooming house at 106 East Third street, was fined $100 in police court yesterday. The place was raided by the police Sunday afternon and a jug and fifty flasks of whiskey were found in one of the rooms. Fourteen men and four women, arrested in the place, were released.

Mrs. A. G. Ham, proprietress of a rooming house at 317 East Twelfth street, was fined $25 and the court ordered her to quit business before February 1.

Mrs. Ham said the license for the place had been furnished her by a brewing company. She said that breweries furnished licenses for many of the proprietors of rooming houses.

The case against J. H. Mitchell, proprietor of a saloon at 1304 Grand avenue, was continued until this morning.

Labels: , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory