Find Rare Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas - A Celebration of Kansas City Past!


Old News from Kansas City - Vintage New Items
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

February 1, 1910


Letter to Council Suggests Opening
Afternoons and Evenings.

An anonymous communication was read in the lower house of the council last night, asking that some one introduce an ordinance requiring the public library to pen from 2 to 10 o'clock p. m. on all holidays.

"Many men have no place to on on such days," said the letter, "and with the library closed they drift into the pool halls and saloons and come under evil influences. The library should be kept open part of the day for them."

The attaches of the library work from 9 o'clock a. m., to 10 p. m. every day and holidays are the only days they have for recreation. The letter was referred to the board of education, as that body controls the opening and closing hours of the library.

Labels: , , , ,

January 23, 1910


Billy Ryle, Jr.,'s Father Is an
Expert With Ivories.
Billy Ryle, Senior and Junior, Billiards Experts Both.

Probably the youngest billiard player in the world is Billy Ryle, Jr., son of Billy Ryle, the local room keeper and three-cushion expert. This boy is but 5 years of age and is capable of making a run of five on a big table in the straight rail billiards, supposed to be the greatest feat ever performed by a boy this age.

Billy Ryle, Jr., learned the game of his own accord and in a peculiar way. He was at his father's hall one day and asked to be allowed to play. His father stood him on a chair beside a pool table and moved him around to make different shots. He soon pocketed the fifteen balls and was then allowed to play billiards. He showed remarkable skill for a child and was then given a private cue, small enough for him to handle. With not a great amount of practice he has learned to make a run of five and his father has ordered him a special table. It will be 3 1/2 by 7 feet, modeled after the Phister 5x19 table and will be twenty-four inches high. It will be equipped with a full set of ivory balls.

Before the table is completed this little fellow is playing on the floor at home, using a walking stick for a cue. This boy has seen the greatest experts in the country play billiards and is very enthusiastic over the game. His father believes he will be a champion by the time he is of age. Mr. Ryle will have the boy tutored by experts when he gets older.

Billy Ryle, Sr., is one of the best billiardists in the West and if he had had an opportunity when younger he would probably have been a champion at balk line. He is today one of the best three-cushion and balk line players in Missouri.

Labels: , ,

January 3, 1910


Breed "Boy Bandits." Chief's Orders
Say -- Proprietor Arrested.

As the result of the general orders issued to the police force at roll call last night by Chief Snow, a close supervision is being kept on all pool halls in Kansas City. Officer Patrick Dalton last night visited a pool hall at Fifteenth street and Indiana avenue conducted by Henry Schillerbein, and, charging that he found several boys under the age of 18 playing pool, arrested Schillerbein, who was taken to the Flora avenue police station and afterward released on bond.

Labels: , , , ,

December 7, 1909



Sack Discovered by Plumber in
Sealed Closet at 1836 East Ninth
Not Like Those Used By Gov-
ernment in Bandit's Time.
Mail Receptacle Found in Jesse James's Old House.

A rendezvous of Jesse James was recalled yesterday afternoon, when E. N. Watts, who runs a plumbing shop at 1836 East Ninth street, discovered in an old house at 1836 East Ninth street a mail pouch upon which human eyes probably had not gazed for years.

Watts was doing extensive remodeling work on the interior of the house preparatory to its occupancy as a pool hall, when he accidentally broke into a little closet which evidently had been sealed for years. In that aperture he found a mail pouch, filled with mail matter. He dragged the sack to the light and after examining it concluded that it must have been a part of the spoils of the James gang.

Mr. Watts notified the postal authorities and a postoffice inspector was soon on the scene. He examined the pouch and its contents, finding the sack was filled with many letters, all of which had been opened and were addressed to "A. F. George, 609 East Fifteenth street, Kansas City, Mo." The inspector's conclusion was that the sack must have been used as a receptacle for the accumulated correspondence of Mr. George, whoever he might have been.

Closet Where the Pouch of Mail Was Found.

The inspector took the sack and contents to the federal building, where officials, who had been in the service as long as twenty years, examined it closely. They said that although the pouch resembled the official style, it lacked certain necessary features that would justify its identification as ever having been owned by the United states government. The officials were at a loss to know why anyone would try to duplicate the official one used years ago.

Labels: , , , , ,

October 2, 1909


Pool Players Break About Even in
Last Night's Round.

Johnny Kling and "Cowboy" Weston broke about even in the third round of their play for the world's pool championship at Kling's, 1016 Walnut street, last night, Kling finishing the third night's play with 602 and the champion with 580. Kling made 202 in the evening's play, while Weston scored 191.

Both players appeared to be stale last night and both missed easy shots. Weston complains that he had a weak leg that is causing him much pain and blames this for some of his unsteadiness.

Labels: , ,

October 1, 1909


At End of Second Round Local
Player Leads 400 to 389.

"Cowboy" Weston last night in the second round of his championship pool match with Johnny Kling at Kling's, 1016 Walnut street, cut down the lead the local player secured on him the first round by thirty-six balls and the score now stands: Kling 400, Weston 389.

At the beginning of the second round last night Kling had made 202 balls. Weston had made 155. In the first eight innings, the champion played rings around the local man and scored 97 while Kling was making 19. Kling then settled down to business and managed to get the best of the play thereafter. Throughout the evening Kling excelled, as on the opening night, in long shooting and side cutting. He had much the better eye and execution while Weston showed better judgement.

Play will be resumed in the match at 8 o'clock this evening. The tournament will be of 800 balls for the world's pool championship.

Labels: , , ,

September 30, 1909


Pool Champ Plays Out of Form and
the Local Aspirant Wins 202 to
155 Victory in a Walk.

Johnny Kling had much the best of "Cowboy" Weston, champion pool player of the world, in the first of a series of four matches for the championship title at Kling's pool and billiard hall, 1016 Walnut, last night, winning the match 202 to 155 with apparent east Weston did not seem to be in form and Kling won as he pleased.

In the first frame Kling took the lead and was never headed. From the twelfth to the seventeenth frame he gained such a margin that Weston gave up all hope and the finish was not in doubt.

The play will be resumed this evening at 8 o'clock. The tourney is 800 balls. Wagers are being freely made that Kling will win from the champion. A gallery of more than 100 pool enthusiasts witnessed last night's game.

Labels: , , , ,

September 29, 1909



He Helped Pittsburgh by Holding
Out Because Murphy Cheated
Him Out of Good Deal
in Cincinnati.

Probably the happiest man in the United States over the fact that the Chicago Cubs lost the National League pennant is Johnny Kling, the world's champion catcher, who has been in this city all season tending his billiard business. He refused to join the club last spring because Charles W. Murphy had cheated him out of a chance to manage the Cincinnati team and also own a big billiard hall in Cincinnati, which would have been financed by Gerry Herrmann if Kling had taken hold of the Reds.

After he found that Pittsburgh had cinched the pennant yesterday Kling said:

"Well I am tickled to death. That suits me exactly. At the beginning of the season I was pulling for New York, but I am glad Pittsburgh won it and not Chicago. Murphy did not treat me right when he cut me out of that good billiard business in Cincinnati and a chance to manage the Reds. I would have done anything to have beaten Murphy out of the rag. I quit the team and while they might not have won with me there I am, satisfied that I helped Pittsburgh a little anyway. I am satisfied now to lose my season's salary as long as the Cubs have not broken all records. I can play my pool match with Weston now and win. It is the best news I have heard this year. If Murphy had not treated me as he did I would have been glad to have played with the Cubs."

Kling is confident that he will beat Weston in the pool match for the championship of the world, which starts in his billiard hall tonight. He says he is in better shape than he ever was for a pool match and believes Weston is not in shape to beat him at the present time. The match will be for 800 balls, 200 each night.

Labels: , , ,

June 13, 1909


Temporary Headquarters at Balti-
more While Father Is Sick.

After two days of signing bills, chiefly revision measures, Governor Herbert S. Hadley left his quarters at the Hotel Baltimore yesterday afternoon for DeSoto, Kas., to be with his father, Major John M. Hadley, who was stricken with paralysis early in the week. The governor departed over the Santa Fe at 4:30 o'clock. He had signed nearly 200 bills.

"A telephone communication early this afternoon announced that my father's condition is much improved," said Governor Hadley yesterday, "and if it is possible I expect to bring him to Kansas City next week. He will either go to the hospital or remain at the home of my sister. At all events I will retain my temporary headquarters at the Hotel Baltimore and finish what business can be attended to there, so as to be in close touch with my father. The trip from Kansas City to DeSoto can be made in an hour on the train or by automobile, while from Jefferson City it might require from eight to ten hours to complete the journey."

A bill appropriating $3,000 to pay for markers for the old Santa Fe trail, introduced into the legislature by the Daughters of the American Revolution, was signed by the governor yesterday morning. Another bill was one requiring an examination and registration for public accountants in Missouri. A bill making it a misdemeanor to bet on a game of pool or billiards was also signed.

Bills vetoed proved to be duplicates of laws already on the statute books.

Labels: , , , , ,

May 12, 1909



Asks Higher Salary Than Last Year
and Unconditional Release
at the End of the

Would Rather Play Billiards in Kansas City
Than Join the Cubs.

Providing Manager Frank Chance of the Chicago Cubs accepts the terms dictated by John J. Kling, the world's greatest catcher, it is very probable that Kling will leave Kansas City within the next twenty-four hours to join the Chicago team. Despite Kling's ultimatum to quit the game forever it was learned from a reliable source last night that he will return to the Cubs if the proposition he made to Manager Chance over the wire is accepted by Chance and President Charles W. Murphy of the Chicago club.

Kling received a telegram from Manager Chance asking him to join the Cubs at once as the team needed his services. The Cubs were at that time in Pittsburgh. The telegram was lengthy and the full contents were not disclosed, but it is known that Chance begged Kling to return to the team and help the Cubs in their fight for the championship. If the team is successful this year it will be the fourth straight pennant for Chicago. Manager chance has found Moran is not able to handle the receiving department of the game and he needs Kling.

But before Kling joins the Cubs President Murphy must accept a proposition which it is very probable Murphy will try to turn down, unless it is an utter impossibility to get Kling without accepting it. This, according to the information of the writer, is that Kling receive several thousand dollars more than he did last year and that he be given his unconditional release at the end of this season, which will wind up his contract with the Cubs.

When Kling first stated that he would quit baseball there were few bugs in Kansas City who believed him and some made bets with John that he would return to the Cubs. In case he returns he will have to buy a lot of hats and cigars.

One of Kling's reasons for not joining the team before was that he could not leave his business for want of a capable manager here. He has now engaged Charles Ferris, a competent billiard man, to handle his business and he is in a position to return to the game.

Labels: , , , ,

May 8, 1909


Senate Passes House Bill to Raise
Pay in Kansas City.

JEFFERSON CIT Y, May 7. -- Kansas City's two senators fell out at tonight's session over a house bill to raise the Kansas City police bill $50,000 a year. The bill, which eventually was passed, will raise the pay of the chief from $3,000 to $4,000, the inspector of detectives from $2,400 to $2,800, secretary of the board from $1,800 to $2,100, captains from $1,500 to $1,800, lieutenants from $1,200 to $1,500, sergeants from $1,080 to $1,200, patrolmen from $960 to $1,080, probationers from $720 to $780, in all $50,540 a year. Senator Casey favored the bill. Senator Greene opposed it.

"It is costing every man in Kansas City $2.50 a year now for the police protection he gets," said Senator Greene. "The patrolman and sergeants should get more pay. I favor that, but I hold that the higher officers, in their offices, run no more than ordinary risks, and I ask you to leave them at their present wages. Our council has found only $450,000 available for the police this year. This bill, if it is passed, will make a draft on the council for $600,000. It is more than the city can stand."

The bill as originally drawn, however, was passed with an emergency clause.

The senate passed the Rosenberger bill to legally declare billiard and pool games of chance, so as to make it illegal to bet on them. Until now the supreme court has held them games of skill, and so not within the scope of the gambling act.

The senate is to meet tomorrow to pass upon the revision bills only, no regular bills to be taken up on their reading till 3:30 Monday afternoon.

Labels: , ,

May 6, 1909


Charles Butler's Body Submerged,
and Hot Water Running.

Charles Butler, 35 years old, was found dead in a bathtub at his rooming house, 1520 Cherry street, last night about 6:30 o'clock. Butler was employed in a pool hall at Fifteenth and Cherry streets, but had formerly been a boilermaker, a prize fighter and a trapeze performer.

J. D. Locke, also a roomer, found the body. He was attracted to the bathroom by the smell of burning wood, burst in the door and found the body of Butler covered with water and in the tub, curled up as though asleep. Hot water from the gas heater was still running and had almost filled the tub. The smell of burning wood came from the wall at the side of the heater, which had become scorched.

Butler was troubled with an affliction of the heart. Death may have been due to this cause.

A letter dated September 25, 1907, was found in his pockets. It was addressed to "My Husband" and signed Myrtle Butler, his wife, to whom he had been married three years previously. Six months ago they separated. Last month she married a man named Harry Thompson and moved away from the city. Butler was seen frequently in the company of a young woman, and two days ago told his landlady that he was about to be married.

Dr. Harry Czarlinsky vivewed the body, but will make a further examination. A brother lives in this city.

Labels: , , , , ,

February 1, 1909


Johnny Will Take On All Comers
This Week.

Johnny Kling has bought a new set of ivory billiard balls and is practicing daily. Kling will play all comers this week, offering odds of 100 to 80, and promising a $10 gold piece to the man who can beat him.

Tonight he takes on William Freeman, a local expert, and tomorrow he will play "Rube" Waddell. Waddell is a fair player and has been playing steadily. These games will be played at 1102 Baltimore avenue, but in the latter part of this week the games will be held in Kling's new hall at 1016 Walnut street. The games will start at 8 p. m.

Labels: , , , ,

November 2, 1908


Bettors Favor County and State Can-
didates - National Choice is Taft.

Local betting in the pool rooms on the result of the election favors the success of the whole Democratic state and county ticket. As between Taft and Bryan, in the national, the former is a strong favorite, bets of three to one on the Republican candidate going without any takers. In one pool room an untaken bet of $3,000 to $1,000 on Taft has been posted so long on the blackboard that it is becoming dim.

So confident of success are the Democrats in the state and county that they are offering bets of two to one on Cowherd.

Labels: , , , ,

August 30, 1908





David B. Kirk, Sr., Captures Cards
and Chips, and She Sweeps Up
$5 Bill -- All Held as Evidence.

Wondering what attraction her husband found to keep him down town until the wee small hours of the morning, Mrs. David Kirk, Jr., 3120 Euclid avenue, daughter-in-law of David B. Kirk, foreman of the grand jury, started an investigation which culminated last Thursday night in her wrecking a pool hall located at 715 Central street after she discovered her husband in a rear room playing poker.

For some time Mrs. Kirk had been disturbed in mind because her husband had begun to keep late hours and could not give to her any satisfactory reasons for his so doing. A week ago five men were arrested by Detectives Robert Phelan and Scott Godley, who charged them with gambling. In some mysterious way Mrs. Kirk heard that her husband was one of the men, as did also his father in law, David B. Kirk, foreman of the grand jury. When taxed with being arrested Kirk, Jr., denied it to his wife, and she asked the assistance of her father-in-law.

The son was called into the father's office and denied that he had been arrested, but admitted that a friend had been caught gambling in a raid that detectives made on the pool hall and that he had gone to the station and deposited $17 bond for his friend.

David B. Kirk, 3217 Montgall avenue, foreman of the grand jury, was at his desk in his office in the M. K. & T. building about 7 o'clock last evening when he received a telephone call from his daughter-in-law. She said that her husband was not at home and that she was worried about him. She finally left her home, 3120 Euclid avenue, and went to Mr. Kirk's office. He talked to her and endeavored to pacify her and then they started home. She suggested that they stroll down to the suspected pool hall and see if David, Jr., was there. Mr. Kirk said last night that the pool hall was brilliantly lighted, the billiard balls racked, but the room was empty.


Mrs. Kirk refused to be satisfied. She opened the door and walked in. A door at one end of the room led to another beyond. The glass panels were painted white and it was impossible to see what was behind them. Mr. Kirk and his daughter-in-law could hear men's voices, the clicking of chips and the shuffling of cards. She knocked on the inside door as it was locked. A man partly opened it, probably expecting to see another poker player to join the crowd, and that act led to the wrecking of the hall later on.

Mr. Kirk succeeded in getting her foot between the door and the jamb, and, assisted by Mr. Kirk, Sr., she pushed the door open. Inside was her husband and four or five other men. They had attempted to conceal all evidence of the gambling that was going on in the room, but overlooked one $5 bill A man remarked that the money belonged to him, but was surprised as the rest when Mrs. Kirk picked up the bill and said he had evidently made a mistake. She placed the money in her chatelaine bag. Mr. Kirk got some poker chips and cards as evidence.


Fearing that the commotion would attract a crowd, Mr. Kirk took his son's wife and started to leave the building. As the two went through the pool hall Mrs. Kirk's anger arose beyond control, and the red and white ivory balls seemed to drive her frantic. Rushing to one of the tables she picked up the balls and began throwing them through the mirrors in the room. Exhausting the supply of balls on the first table she quickly gathered up those on the table next to it and finished all the mirrors in the hall.

Going from one table to another the now enraged woman scooped up the little ivories and pasted them through the plate glass windows and out into the street. After she had thrown every everything she could handle she consented to leave. Mr. Kirk, her father-in-law, says they went to Eighth street and endeavored to find a policeman, but not a sight of one they could catch. Down one block and up another street the two people walked, hunting, searching and looking for a minion of the law, but in vain.


Just as Mr. Kirk, Sr., was calling the grand jury into session Friday morning he was informed that there was an urgent telephone call for him. He answered it and, last night, he said that his son was at the other end of the wire. Young Kirk told his father that Charles W. Prince, owner of the pool hall, was in his office and desired to know what reparation he intended to make for the damage of furniture and building resulting from his wife's actions. The young man wanted his father to tell him what to do. "Mr. Prince wants to talk to you," said the son. The father stated last night that he answered by saying: "If Mr. Prince wants to talk to me, he'll have to do the talking before the grand jury. That was the last Kirk, Sr. heard of Prince. It is not likely that that will be the last Prince will hear of Kirk, Sr., or of the grand jury, either.

When asked what action would be taken by him, Mr. Kirk, Sr., stated that he had called the prosecuting attorney into the grand jury room and told the whole story, shielding no one, asking no mercy for anyone.

Asked if an indictment would be returned by the grand jury against anyone for either gambling or keeping a gambling house, Mr. Kirk stated that the prosecuting attorney had informed the grand jury that Mr. Kirk had not secured enough evidence against anyone to make a conviction in the criminal court. The money, the cards, the chips, the table with its green cloth and white covering were not sufficient evidence, the prosecuting attorney told them. According to Mr. Kirk, to secure a conviction the state would have to have witnesses who could testify that they had seen the men gambling.

David B. Kirk, Jr., is 32 years of age. He is a millers' agent.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

May 8, 1907


Slapped a Boy and Then Drew Re-
volver on Him.
David A. Bateman, a park policeman, was fined $10 in police court yesterday on a charge of disturbing the peace of Ray Welsh, a 15-year-old boy living at 1530 Montgall avenue. He paid the fine and gave notice of appeal.

Welsh said he was passing a pool hall at Fifteenth and Bellefontaine when Bateman came out and made him take a chain off a dog which Welsh was leading. Welsh then went down the street to where there was a blacksmith shop.

"He called me out," said the boy, "then he slapped me, hit me over the head with his club and drew his gun."

A man who did not know Welsh corroborated his statements as to the assault. Bateman said he had a bad cold and took some quinine and three drinks of whiskey, "which seemed to go to my head." Sergeant T. S. Eubanks, who arrested Bateman, said the latter had had trouble in a pool hall and also a store next door, and that his station had been notified to take him away. When he got there the trouble with the boy was on.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

April 24, 1908


Mount Washington Men Chased Him
With Guns Through the Fields.

After discovering a burglar in the postoffice at Mount Washington at 1 o'clock this morning, Orin Shaw, who runs a poolhall next door, armed himself with a Winchester rifle, and with W. H. Chitwood, a grocer, scared the man from the building and chased him across fields for nearly half a mile, finally making a capture just as the fugitive ran into a barb wire fence.

"I saw some one in the postoffice striking a match," Shaw told Sergeant James of the Sheffield station, who later took charge of the marauder. "I armed myself, and then went to Chitwood's house to get assistance. Together we went to the postoffice, but the man evidently heard us coming, for just as we got to the front door he broke from the house and ran past us. We called upon him several times to stop, but he ran on north across the fields.

"After we had chased him for about half a mile I fired at him, but missed. We had been gaining steadily, and just at that time he became tangled in a barb wire fence and we got him."

At the Sheffield station the man gave the name of William Soper. He said he was traveling from Oklahoma to his home in Illinois. A search showed that he had $2.75 in silver, and 45 cents in pennies. This money he confessed having taken from the postoffice.

Labels: , , , , ,

April 1, 1908


Money Is Offered With Few Takers,
Pendergast's Odds.

Bets were being freely offered yesterday at even money as to the result for mayor and candidates on the main city ticket. The bulk of the cash seemed to be in the hands of the Crittenden supporters. Bets of $500 even on the Democratic nominee went begging, but smaller ones of $10, $20 and $50 were quickly called. A well known contractor visited the city hall, saying that he had $2,000 to bet on Crittenden in any sums convenient to Beardsley's supporters. After betting $50, the contractor ceased his bluffing, but promised to call again.

In a pool hall on Delaware street these bets were posted yesterday:

One hundred dollars, even, that Crittenden beats Beardsley.

Fifty dollars, even, Baehr, Republican, beats Ridge, Democrat for city treasurer.

One hundred dollars to 45 that Pendergast, Democrat, beats Rodman, Republican, for alderman of First ward.

Twenty-five dollars, even, Green, Republican, beats Hayes, Democrat, for alderman of Eighth ward.

Fifty dollars, even, that Woolf, Republican. beats beats Norton, Democrat, for alderman of Third ward.

Thirty dollars to $50 that Green beats Hayes.

Twenty-five dollars, even, that Kyle, Republican, beats Casey, Democrat, for police judge.

Labels: , , , , ,

January 30, 1908


Saloon and Pool Hall Destroyed.

The explosion of an oil lamp in Rodman's saloon at Sugar Creek early last night set fire to the building. A call was sent to Independence for assistance but the fire department was not sent out as it was not considered that a water supply could be had sufficient to warrant the services of the department.

The fire department from the Standard Oil refinery worked on the blaze but the building was destroyed. The flames spread to a pool hall next door and this building also was a total loss. The damage is estimated at about $7,000.

Labels: , , ,

December 25, 1907


Too Much Hard Cider Is the Undoing
of Calvin Jackson.

Too much Christmas celebration out in Dallas, a little town about fourteen miles south of Kansas City, almost resulted in patricide last night. While Calvin Jackson and some of his friends were in the pool room of a combination barber shop and pool room drinking hard cider, George Jackson, Calvin's father, went into the barber shop to get a shave.

Soon the hard cider began to have its inevitable effect upon Calvin, and he drew a revolver and started to shoot out the kerosene lights in the building. The father jumped up from the chair where he was being shaved, with the lather still on his face, and tried to quiet his son. But Calvin did not comprehend, and turned the revolver upon his father, shooting him in the left leg.

Calvin was arrested by Constable O'Brien of Dallas and taken to Waldo, where he was met by Marshal Al Heslip and brought to the county jail.

Later he denied any knowledge of the affair, and said that he would not believe he had shot his father. Calvin is only 21 years old, and his father is about 45. Calvin was accompanied to Kansas City by his father It is not thought that the latter will prosecute the case.

Labels: , , , , , ,

December 5, 1907


He Wishes to Test the Sunday Law but
Judge Wallace Won't Let Him.

William L. Ryle, proprietor of a billiard hall at Ninth and Main streets, refused to give bond after answering two grand jury indictments for working on Sunday, appeared again in the criminal court before Judge Wallace yesterday morning. The judge told him to come back Friday at which time he will learn whether he is to be sent to jail. He wishes to go to jail and test the law by means of an application for a writ of habeas corpus in the circuit court. He was indicted twice for breaking the law on one Sunday. His contention is that he can break the law, if at all, only once on one Sunday.

Labels: , , , ,

July 28, 1907


Billiard Hall Man Felt a Buzzing
of the Head.

When the Royal billiard hall at Eight street and Grand avenue closed early yesterday O. R. Bruns, the proprietor, felt a buzzing in his head. He finally located it in the neighborhood of his ear when that organ began to pain him severly.

"I never did have a bee in my bonnet," said Bruns, "and I don't know what this means."

When the buzzing reached the extent of a miniature thunder storm in his head he hied himself to the emergency hospital in city hall. there Dr. Ford B. Rogers removed a small green bug.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

July 19, 1907


His Three Months Seemed Like a
Year to Him.

William January, alias Charles W. Anderson, will be discharged from the United States penitentiary at Leavenworth in time this morning for him to catch the Missouri Pacific train leaving for Kansas City at 6:18 a. m. None of his friends will be there to go with him, Warden McClaughry having advised Anderson to go out early to avoid attention there and have his friends meet him at the depot in Kansas City. At the depot they will have a new suit ready for Anderson and he will go over to the Blossom house and change his attire. Dressed in the latest style he will make the trip uptown.

Anderson said last evening that he expected to open a pool hall in Kansas City, but added that he would not start in business for some time. He will visit his mother in Chillicothe, Mo., first. He will also be met at the depot by his wife and daughter.

Anderson says his three months in prison have seemed like a year to him, but he admits that he was treated very kindly during his confinement.

Labels: , , , , , ,

May 7, 1907


Applicants Must Agree to Bar Music
and Pool Tables.

Saloonkeepers who keep mechanical musical instruments or pool and billiard tables for operation in connection with their saloons will hereafter be compelled to violate an oath as ell as risk the revoking of their licenses . Hereafter there will be incorporated in the oath which the applicant for a saloon license must take a clause providing that neither musical instruments nor pool and billiard tables be kept. The county court at Independence decided upon this yesterday at the request of the county license inspector.

Labels: , ,

March 4, 1907

E. A. Smith, Alias Herbert K. Nyler,
Will Be Brought Back for Trial.

R. A. Smith, alias Herbert K. Nyler, is under arrest in Los Angeles on the charge of altering checks of the Bruns Bros. bowling alley and pool hall at Eighth and Grand. Detective Gene Sullivan left for Los Angeles last night to bring Smith back to Kansas City.

A cartoon printed in The Journal several months ago was instrumental in effecting the arrest by the Los Angeles police on the request of the chief of police of this city. Smith was employed by Bruns Bros. and is charged with manipulating checks showing the amounts due from persons playing pool in the house.

Labels: , , , , ,

Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

The Son of Jesse James is Accused of a Train Robbery at Leeds ... Can he get a fair trial in Kansas City?
The Trial of Jesse James, Jr.

>>More KC Books<<

As an Amazon Associate this site may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory