Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

November 26, 1909



Various Institutions Served Thanks-
giving Dinners -- Children Had
Their Fill of Chicken -- Pris-
oners Not Forgotten.

The unfortunate who are in institutions and the unlucky who happened to be in jail yesterday were not overlooked Thanksgiving day. While a regular turkey and cranberry sauce dinner was not served at all places, on account of the high price of the bird, a good, wholesome, fattening meal was served, where turkey was absent.

In the holdover at police headquarters there were forty prisoners, all but five men. when noontime arrived the following was served to a surprised and hungry bunch: Turkey and cranberry sauce, real biscuits and hot cakes, baked potatoes, hot mince pie and coffee with real cream.

Out at the city workhouse there were 107 men and eighteen women prisoners to be served, too many for turkey at prevailing prices. They were all given their fill, however, of the following menu: Roast pork with dressing, baked Irish potatoes, bakes sweet potatoes, vegetable soup, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, coffee.

A real turkey dinner with cranberry, baked potatoes, celery, vegetables, pie, and coffee with genuine cream was served to the 109 prisoners in the county jail. After appetites had been appeased the men and women put in the rest of the day singing old-time hymns. It has been truthfully said that no old-time hymn can be started in the county jail but that enough voiced immediately join in to make it a success. And they always know the words and the chorus.


There were but seven children in the Detention home yesterday, but they were not overlooked. The matron saw that they were served with turkey, vegetables, mince pie, coffee, etc.

At the Salvation Army Industrial home, 1709 Walnut street, fifty-five men, and employes of the institution, sat down to Thanksgiving dinner.

"We had turkey, cranberries, potatoes, celery and other vegetables, bread and butter, mince pie, cake, coffee, candy, nuts and apples," said one of the men. "And we got all we wanted, too."

The Salvation Army proper served no Thanksgiving dinner to the poor yesterday, as it makes a specialty of its big Christmas dinner. Baskets are also given out at that time. Wednesday and yesterday baskets were sent out to a few homes where it was known food was needed.

Probably the happiest lot of diners in the entire city were the twenty little children at the Institutional church, Admiral boulevard and Holmes street. While they laughed and played, they partook of these good things: Chicken with dressing, cranberry sauce, sweet and Irish potatoes, celery, olives, salad, oysters, tea, apple pie a la mode, mints, stuffed dates and salted almonds.


The dining room was prettily decorated with flowers, and Miss Louise Mayers, a nurse, and Miss Mae Shelton, a deaconess, saw to the wants of the little ones. After the feast all of them took an afternoon nap, which is customary. When they awoke a special musical programme was rendered, and the children were allowed to romp and play games. Those who had space left -- and it is reported all had, as they are healthy children -- were given all the nuts candy and popcorn they could eat.

"I wist Tanksgivin' comed ever day for all th' time there is," said one rosy-cheeked but sleepy little boy when being prepared for bed last night.

Over 200 hungry men at the Helping Hand Institute yesterday were served with soup and tomatoes, escalloped oysters, roast beef, celery, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, cream turnips,cabbage stew, bread, butter, pumpkin pie and coffee.

Out at the General hospital, the convalescent patients were allowed to eat a genuine turkey dinner but those on diet had to stick to poached eggs, toast, milk and the like. A regular Thanksgiving dinner was served to the convalescent at all the hospitals yesterday.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

November 23, 1909


City Market Open Until 10 O'clock
Wednesday Night.

The city market will continue open until 10 o'clock Wednesday night to accommodate Thanksgiving supply buyers, and on Thursday will close at 10 a. m.

Labels: ,

January 20, 1908



Hope of Freedom Had Long Since
Died in His Breast -- Society
That Aids the

Up in the Kansas City Life building there are two small offices stuck away under the stairs. One of them is the headquarters of the Anti-Saloon League and the other that of the Society of the Friendless. The Friendless are men just out of the penitentiary. The society finds work for them and gives them the "glad hand" generally. One of the "Friendless" turned up yesterday to say that it was tougher on him at liberty than it had been in captivity, for while he had been able to endure eighteen years' imprisonment at Lansing, Kas., working steadily all the time at hard labor, two weeks' work at liberty had put him on the flat of his back. He was up again, though, like a good fellow and was ready to go to work. Not quite understanding the lay of the land a casual visitor to the headquarters of the society offered the man a small contribution. "Much obliged to you, all the same, sir" the ex-prisoner replied. "I do not need it. Hand it to some fellow that does. I do not mean to be offensive but I am all right."

Inquiry developed the fact that the man had but recently got out of the Kansas state penitentiary.

"How long were you in?" he was asked.

"Life," he replied, and he laughed as he said, "they made me do eighteen years of it. My, but that is a long time. I hardly knew the cities when I got out. D. R. Anthony used to work for me and his little boy who used to play around my place is now in congress. Goodness, but how the little fellows grew up in that long, long eighteen years.

The man asked to have his name suppressed for fear publicity might embarrass him at work.

"Did the changes surprise you when you got outside?" he was asked.

"Nothing surprised me as much as news of the governor's pardon. I had been expecting it for many years. We all do. Three weeks ago I was at work in the prison when I heard a shout from a gang in another part of the building, and the boys came running to me saying I was pardoned. They 'ganged' me right then and there. I could hardly believe it. It was too much. I had been sent up for life for killing a man, and thought I ought to be at liberty, but thinking I ought to be at liberty and being at liberty were quite different. I did not believe it, but the boys brought the Kansas City Journal to me and then I read it myself. They had been watching The Journal every day for the list of Thanksgiving day pardons. It was great news for me."

Labels: , , ,

November 27, 1908





Opposing Teams Were
Cheered Impartially.
The Proud K. U. Jayhawk
No Wonder the Jayhawk's a Proud Bird.


By defeating the University of Missouri team at Association park yesterday afternoon by a score of 10 to 4, before a crowd of 12,000 persons, the University of Kansas eleven cinched its claim to the title of football champions of the Missouri valley.

Yesterday morning only one obstacle -- Missouri -- stood between the Jayhawkers and a clean record of victories for the season. Today the Kansas 1908 team is in the K. U. temple of ever victorious elevens, in which the Yost machine of 1899 has led such a lonesome life.

And the Missourians. Once more they came to Kansas City hoping, praying for victory. They met their worst rival for the eighteenth time, and for the thirteenth time they came off the field a defeated team. But there has never been anything inglorious about a Tiger defeat. There was nothing inglorious about yesterday's defeat. When a man gives for ten weeks his body and mind into the hands of his coaches to be moulded as they see best, when a man trained for ten weeks for an hour of play, puts into that hour of play all he has, never whimpering, never quitting, never dodging any hard knocks, but boring in and fighting like a man; fighting as his forefathers fought, a square battle with a never-say-die spirit, doing his best in spite of everything -- when such a man loses, he loses honorably, and to him is due as much credit as the man who fought the same kind of a battle on the winning side. It's easy to be a good winner but the real test of a man is whether or not he is a good loser.


Two touchdowns gave Kansas the game. A place kick gave Missouri its score, the first the Tigers have made against Kansas since 1902.

The Tigers started out with a rush and for the first fifteen minutes outplayed the Jayhawkers at every turn. After carrying the ball from their own 10-yard-line to the Kansas 25-yard line, the Tigers were held and Bluck missed an 35-yard place kick. After Johnson's kick-out, the Tigers again stormed the Kansas goal line. Kansas held this time on their 10-yard-line. Bluck went back for another kick and sent the pigskin sailing between the posts, eighteen yards away, making the score, Missouri 4, Kansas 0.

A typical rooter

It was the first time the Missouri undergraduates had ever seen their team score on Kansas and for five minutes the Missouri section was a pandemonium of shrieking, whooping rooters whose lungs were the outlet of enthusiasm pent up for years. Their bodies tingled with joy and they cheered again and again and threw up their hats and hugged each other, for it seemed that Missouri was destined to defeat that as yet undefeated Kansas eleven.

There was gloom in the Kansas section, for up to this time the Jayhawkers had been able to do little with the Tigers. One man was still confident of victory for Kansas. It was "Bert" Kennedy, the Jayhawker coach, whose greatest hopes would be realized if his team came through the season without a defeat.


"That's all for Missouri," said Kennedy. "We'll make a touchdown and beat 'em. They can't keep up this pace."

And Kennedy was right. The Jayhawkers began to play better football. They came from behind, fighting against fighters, and after twenty minutes of play Pleasant caught Stephenson's onside kick and crossed the Missouri goal. Stephenson missed the goal and the score was Kansas 5, Missouri 4.

It was the second half that the second and last Kansas touchdown came. The Jayhawkers were storming the Missouri goal without any success. Several times they seemed to be within striking distance, but the Tiger line would brace and stop the oncoming Kansans.

With five minutes left to play, Deatherage made an onside kick to Rice, who dashed 25 yards through the Tiger team to a touchdown. Bond missed the goal and the score was Kansas 10, Missouri 4.

Yesterday's game was probably as close a struggle as a Kansas City Thanksgiving day crowd has seen in many years. The 0 to 0 contest of 1906 cannot be classed as a regular football game as the men played in mud up to their knees and the exhibition was one that would make Walter Camp burst out crying.

But yesterday saw a splendid exhibition of the great college sport. There was little individual starring. Each man worked for the team. No one sought for his own glory; it was victory, not applause, that was the prize each man wanted.

Crowds Fill the North Bleachers

Somewhere between 12,000 and 13,000 madly cheering fans were in the grandstand and bleachers when the opposing teams marched onto the field at Association park yesterday for the annual Kansas-Missouri football battle. Long before noon they had begun to appear at the various gates of the park, clamoring for admittance and when, finally they were thrown open, a seething current of humanity flowed through, until at 2 o'clock the gates were closed and hundreds were refused admittance. A comparison of the crowd of this year with that of former year, when the annual game has been played in Kansas City, would reveal no material change in its personnel. There was a certain percentage of the student body of both institutions here, and then there was the usual number of home fans, who never miss an opportunity to see the annual game. If anything, the students and former students, old grads and friends of the institutions outnumbered the professional fan.


Association park has never had such a crowd within its confines in the history of baseball in Kansas City, and a baseball crowd is the only means of making a comparison. The grandstand has been full to overflowing on many occasions and the bleachers have been well filled at times, but never before has it been necessary to add additional bleachers. These additional bleachers were crowded to their limit and had there been more they unquestionably would have been filled to overflowing. Altogether it is estimated that there were perhaps a few less than 13,000 people who saw the game from the grandstand and bleachers, those were paid admissions. But there was another crowd that viewed the game from a more advantageous standpoint, perhaps, from their point of view, than those who paid to sit in the boxes or in the grandstand.

A glance from the field to the housetops, the trees and the telegraph poles in the immediate vicinity conveyed a picture to the mind which would instantly have been familiar to those baseball fans who saw the great national baseball games in Chicago or New York. Wherever there was a foot-hold outside the high board fence where a view of the game might be had, there was a fan, and from the housetops hundreds saw the game.

Labels: , , , ,

November 27, 1908



The Donor's Name Is Not Known to
One of the Hundreds of Hungry
Ones, But They Wish
Him Well.

Plenty of turkey with all of its harmonious accompaniments attracted nearly 1,000 boys and girls to Convention hall yesterday afternoon from 1 o'clock on until everybody who came was fed. More than 1,100 places had been set, but they were not all filled, showing that charity provided for some on Thanksgiving day who were able to provide for themselves.

Not only did the poor children dine, but a committee of 100 from the Associated Charities and the United Hebrew Charities sat down with them and ate the same dinner.

Some of the hungry urchins came in early and after eating their allotted meal came back again to make a secondary attack on the things to eat.

Two of the inevitable "stalwart policemen" were at the front door, and whenever any of the unfed came up, they were challenged thus:

"Had your dinner, boys (or girls, as the case happened to be)?"

"Unh-unh," was the invariable answer, with the accent on the first syllable of the negative, and the youngsters would skip gleeful over the sawdust to the tables where the waiters from the Sexton waited on them just as they do the guests of the hotel. To cap the verisimilitude, an orchestra played as the viands disappeared.

The dinner was provided by a man who formerly lived in Kansas City, and who was, perhaps, once a poor boy, hungry on Thanksgiving day. He now lives in New York city, and it is at his earnest request that the papers have not mentioned his name in connection with the dinner.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

November 27, 1908


If There Was, It Wasn't the Fault
of Givers of Dinners.

Amid the general rejoicing and feeling of goodfellowship incident to a perfect Thanksgiving day, the less fortunate inhabitants of the city were not forgotten. At every charitable institution in the city a dinner was provided for the inmates. The Salvation Army, Franklin institute, Union mission and other organizations of like character fed hundreds of poor persons, and sent many baskets of provisions to deserving families who were unable to attend the dinners.

The Union mission, at Eighteenth and McGee streets, provided a dinner and fed over 400 persons. Special invitations had been sent out and persons from Rosedale, Argentine, Kansas City, Kas., and country districts attended the dinner. Everything in the way of eatables was provided, and if any person in Kansas City went without a Thanksgiving dinner yesterday it was not because of a lack of opportunity.

"It was certainly good to see those poor persons eat," said the Rev. Mrs. Rose Cockriel, the pastor of the mission. "Those who came to the dinner ranged in age from 7 weeks to 33 years, and they all appeared to enjoy themselves. Six little boys, the oldest one 10 years of age, walked in from beyond the Blue river. We gave them their dinner and a basket of provisions to take to their home."

At the Old Folks and Orphans' home the day was celebrated with an old-fashioned dinner, turkey, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pies and everything that should be eaten on that day. At the Perry Orphan Boys' home 130 boys partook of the good things that had been provided for them.

At the Working Girls' hotel there was really a day of thanksgiving, not alone because of the excellent dinner, for in addition to that some unknown friend donated a high grade piano to the institution. From the standpoint of charity and general cause for thankfulness, the day was very much a success.

At the county jail Marshal Al Heslip provided a dinner for the prisoners, of whom there now are fewer than 200. All the trimmings went with the spread. Eatables out of the ordinary also were served at the Detention home, where juvenile prisoners are confined.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

November 25, 1907


Unknown Ex-Kansas Cityan Will
Feed 1,000 in Convention Hall.

Someone -- no one is supposed to know who -- will furnish a free Thanksgiving dinner to 1,000 poor children in Convention Hall, which will also be used gratis. It is enough to say that the donor used to be a Kansas Cityan, and for that matter, is yet in spirit. He has been an exile to New York for some years and has relatives here.

He writes:

"I would like to give a Thanksgiving dinner in Kansas City to 1,000 poor children. My idea is for this to be done under the auspices of the United Hebrew charities and Gentile charities of Kansas City and Kansas City, Kas. I do not want anyone to know who is giving the dinner as I do not desire any publicity. See if you can arrange this and wire me.

In compliance with the wishes of the unknown giver, tickets to the dinner will be in charge of the Associated Charities at 1103 Charlotte street, and the United Hebrew Charities at 1702 Locust street. Poor children may have tickets by calling at either of these places. The dinner will be served between 1 and 2 o'clock tomorrow afternoon.

Labels: , , , , , ,

November 24, 1908


Accident Was Due to Workmen's
Lack of Foresight.

Owing to the carelessness of workmen on the building a portion of the roof of the Hippodrome, Twelfth and Charlotte streets, fell at 3 o'clock yesterday morning. The accident was due to the moving of two of the supports to the main beams upholding the roof. The work was being done to make room for an aerial act which is to be put on, and the two supports were moved at practically at the same time, thus leaving the heavy beams without support. The walls of the old street car barn, where the Hippodrome is located, are of unusual thickness, and were not damaged to any extent. The floor likewise was built to stay and, although the mass of timbers crashed down on the skating rink, this portion was not damaged. No one was injured.
It was stated yesterday that the building would be repaired in two days, and would be opened for the Thanksgiving crowds. The loss is estimated at about $200 and is covered by insurance. Owing to the way the building was originally constructed, no other portion was damaged in the slightest.

The building inspector inspected the building yesterday and pronounced it absolutely safe.

Labels: , , , , , ,

November 19, 1908


Demand Is Light When There's No
Frost on Thanksgiving.

Scores of turkeys were brought into Kansas City yesterday by the neighboring farmers, and the produce merchants are getting ready for the Thanksgiving sale of gobbler meat. But the weather is worrying them. If warm and sun-shiny days are to be the lot of Kansas City for the next week, there will not be chants. It is always the case; cold weather increases the demand and warm weather decreases it.

There is no particular reason for this strange fact, according to many commission men. It is because it is. Years past have proved it to be a fact. Some say that Thanksgiving without cold weather and snow doesn't seem like Thanksgiving and people would just as soon eat beefsteak on the last Thursday in November, if it is warm, as to taste of the the time honored gobbler meat.

At the present turkeys are being sold at from 13 to 15 cents a pound wholesale, and from 17 1/2 to 20 cents retail. These prices are a little higher than the cost of chickens, so all who can afford chickens on Thanksgiving may take their choice between the two kinds of fowl.

Labels: , , , , ,

July 27, 1907



Matron at Joseph's Home Denies
Charges Made by Mrs. Ambie
Russell -- Juvenile Court to
Decide Next Monday.

Joseph Home, 2610 Cleveland Avenue

Upon a complaint of Mrs. Ambie Russell, who has had four children in Joseph's home at 2610 Cleveland avenue since last Thanksgiving day, petitions were filed in the juvenile court yesterday afternoon alleging that the children were neglected.

Two of them, Irene, 10, and Katie, 7 years old were found at the home, taken to the detention home and later to the day nursery of the Institutional church by Probation Officer Edgar Warden. The other two, Earl, 13, and Eddie, 14 years old, were not found at the home. Subpoenas were issued for Mrs. Anna Baker, manager of the home; Mrs. Nellie Shaw, who is usually in charge, and for Mrs. Leslie Lewald, an employe, to appear before Judge Goodrich of the juvenile court Monday morning.

In a signed statement which Mrs. Russell made to Humane Officer Frank McCrary yesterday afternoon she charges that Mrs. Lewald and Frances Robinson, a negro woman who was until recently employed at Joseph's home, frequently punished the children by strangling them in basins of water and by beating them in the face until their little noses bled.

"There are about thirty children in the home and they are not properly clothed and fed," Mrs. Russell says in her statement. "I have bought clothes during the last eight weeks for my children and upon one occasion when I visited the home I saw a dress I had taken out for Katie on another child and Katie was dressed in rags.

"One one occasion during my stay Mrs. Shaw, an assistant to Mrs. Baker, struck Earl with a stick and then hit him on the nose with her hand and dragged him off to bed. I went to his room and found his pillow saturated with blood."

Mrs. Russell was deserted by her husband four years ago in Herrin, Ill. she has lived in Kansas City several months and when she became ill went with her children to the Joseph home. Several weeks ago she left the home by request because it was said that she had spoken disparagingly of the place to prospective contributors to its support. Mrs. Russell is now employed at the Hotel Kupper.


Edgard Warden, who brought the Russell girls to the detention home yesterday, reported that he had found Mrs. Shaw to be a very pleasant woman, and that the children seem to like her. He also said that the home has solicitors working in nineteen states. There are about thirty children there.

The two little Russell girls were neatly dressed when brought to the detention home. They said they and the other children at Joseph's home attended the Greenwood school, Twenty-seventh and Cleveland streets. They looked bashful and would not answer when asked if they had had enough to eat and were well treated.

The Associated Charities, through G. F. Damon, secretary, issued a circular December 5, 1906, containing what purports to be a history of Mrs. Baker.

Mrs. Nellie Shaw, the matron in charge of Joseph's home, emphatically denies the charges made by Mrs. Russell. Mrs. Shaw was formerly assistant matron at the Institutional church.

"There is no truth in any of the charges made against this home," said Mrs. Shaw yesterday. "I came here to take the management of the children in February, and since I have been here I can answer that there has been no cruelty of any kind. I have two children of my own who live here, and I treat them just as I do the others. The only punishment which children ever receive is a spanking. It is necessary where there are so many children that discipline be kept. But no one ever punishes the little ones but myself, and I only spank them whenever it is necessary, with my open hand."


The little boys and girls in the home do not seem to be afraid of Mrs. Shaw, but play about her in what seems to be the most affectionate manner.

"I think the boys and girls love me, and I have always wanted them to," said she.

Mrs. Shaw says that Mrs. Russell, who was an inmate of the home with her four children for months without cost, became angry at her because she suggested that some of the money which Mrs. Russell earned after she finally secured a position at the Kupper hotel be spent on the children.

" 'My money is my own,' she said, and seemed angry at the suggestion. 'I'll spend it as I please.' "

Eddie, Mrs. Russell's 14-year-son, was placed by the home on a farm at Arthur, Kas., and his 13-year-old brother Earl is on another farm a few miles from there. Mrs. Shaw says that the boys were not placed in adoption, but were simply put on the farms for a summer's outing. She says that is the custom of the Institution church and other charitable institutions in Kansas City to place children with private families, sometimes for adoption, unless a part at least of their board is paid. Mrs. Russell consented that her two boys be sent to Kansas for the summer, she says.


St. Joseph's home was founded four years ago by Mrs. Annie Baker, who had run a similar institution for two years in Joplin, Mo. Mrs. Shaw says the home was founded by Mrs. Baker after being left destitute with two children, in order to help mothers where were in a similar condition. It is supported by public subscription.

"The whole trouble is that we do not give an accounting of our finances to the Associated Charities," said Mrs. Shaw. "They have been trying to get us to do this for a long time, and when we consistently refused to make regular financial reports to them they became angry and have been trying to do the home harm ever since.

"We cannot see why we should give up the management of our enterprise to the Associated Charities, who had nothing to do with its beginning or its development."

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory