Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

February 10, 1910


Parents Informed of Wedding by
Telegram From Nebraska Town.

Having first removed all her clothing and personal property from the premises, Miss Carrie Ann Evans, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Evans, 2610 East Tenth street, yesterday forenoon told her mother she was going to a matinee. Instead, she eloped with Bert Snider, a traveling salesman. They were married at the court house.

The first intimation the parents had that their daughter had left their fireside for one more exclusively her own was a telegram from a small town in Nebraska. It said they were on their way to Omaha, where Mr. Snider is representative of a Cincinnati pump house.

The father of the bride is manager of Barklow Bros.' News Company. The mother said last night that the parents had no particular objection to Mr. Snider, but that he was scarcely known to them.

"Besides," Mrs. Evans continued, "my daughter is only 25 and I believe Mr. Snider is over 40, although he gives his age as 31. I do not, however, consider their runaway marriage in the light of an elopement. We did not actively object, only criticised it as rather hasty. Carrie told me as lately as day before yesterday that she was going to be married soon. I guess she thought she would just run away to do it in order to save father and I the pain of watching the ceremony be performed."

Mrs. Evans would not admit that she would readily forgive the couple, but evaded answering directly any question on the subject. "Oh, it will have to suit us now," was her invariable reply.

Labels: , , ,

February 7, 1910


Wedding Party Speeds Mr. and Mrs.
Crossert to New Home.

A wedding party took possession of the Union depot last night, showering the bride and groom with rice and covering them with confusion as well, much to the enjoyment of belated travelers. The bride was formerly Miss Eva Maddeford of Burlingame, Kas., and the groom Daniel Crossert of Osage City, Kas. The wedding ceremony was performed by Probate Judge Van B. Prather at his home in Kansas City, Kas. Mr. and Mrs. Crossert departed on the 10:30 Santa Fe for Osage City, where they will make their home.

Labels: , , ,

December 30, 1909


Miss Albertson of Richmond, Mo.,
to Become Bride of Educated Creek.

A license was secured yesterday by John A. Phillips, a full-blooded Creek Indian of Okemaha, Ok., to marry Miss Lulu B. Albertson, a white woman living at Richmond, Mo. The groom is a well-to-do real estate dealer.

Phillips is an educated Indian. He is a graduate of McComb college of Muskogee. He is a widower of a few years. His first wife was a white woman. Mr. Phillips and Miss Albertson met last summer when the latter was visiting friends in Okemaha.

The bride will return to her home in Richmond, to join her husband later in Oklahoma.

Labels: , , ,

December 27, 1909


Justice Cannot Resist Temptation
as Miss Wade Starts Voyage.

It is said about the recorder's office at the county court house yesterday that there would be few marriage licenses issued, Christmas being over, and that the next rush would come on New Year's. Seventeen pairs took the step yesterday and most of them applied late in the afternoon.

When Charles A. Class, 24 years old, of Leeton, Mo., arrived with his fiancee, Miss Susie Wade, 21 years old of Pleasant Hill, Mo., the office was getting ready to close for the day. It's never too late there however, so a marriage license was issued.

Mr. Class and Miss Wade came with their duly appointed "seconds." Justice Festus O. Miller had to be sent for. When about to start the pair's life voyage he paused for a moment. He could not resist the temptation. "Miss Wade," he said solemnly, "you are about to wed a boy of some 'Class.' "

Labels: , , ,

November 26, 1909


Married Twenty-Seven Years, Di-
vorced Three, Will Again Wed.

A marriage license issued yesterday in Kansas City, Kas., to Henderson James and Ella James is of more than passing interest to ones familiar with the story of their lives. It is a story of twenty-seven years of married life, then an interval of three years as divorcees, an application for a marriage license and the prospective reunion of two persons who began life as husband and wife on Thanksgiving day just thirty years ago in Lawrence, county, Ind.

The illness yesterday of Mrs. James, who is at the home of her son, Guy Henderson James, 305 Shawnee avenue, Kansas City, Kas., prevented the marriage of the couple, but it will be performed just as soon as she is convalescent. Four grown children will be made happy by the reconciliation of their parents.

"We decided it was all a mistake and determined to forget all about it," said Mr. James yesterday.

Mrs. James has been living at 53 Lombard street until recently, when she moved to her present address. She became sick a few days ago and her former husband, who is employed at the stock yards, came to take care of her. After talking the matter over they decided that they could not get along without each other. Mr. James is 51 years old and his prospective bride is 48.

Labels: , , , ,

November 23, 1909


Five Men Arrested, Including Bride-
groom, and Beer Confiscated.

Sheriff Al Becker. of Wyandotte county, with a force of deputies, raided a Croatian wedding celebration at Loscke's hall, Third street and Barnett avenue, in Kansas City, Kas. Five men were arrested, and ten kegs were confiscated. The five men arrested can speak but little English.

Their names as the jailer spelled them are as follows:

Mike Stepson, 318 Ann avenue; Paul Medleck, 23 Water street; Mike Balaska, 25 Water street; Mat Milsco, 31 Dugarro avenue; and Paul Pihel, the bride groom, of 310 North James street.

The men were arrested after persons living in the neighborhood had made a complaint. The Austrians in Kansas City, Kas., have held wedding celebrations in Kansas City, Kas., for years. They are accustomed to having beer in the old country, and can't understand why it should be denied them in Kansas.

They do not sell the beverage at the celebrations, but a bartender stands behind an improvised bar, and hands out large schooners to the dancers.

Labels: , , , , ,

November 15, 1909


Didn't Even Take Cigars Until
Board Gave Permission.

A box of cigars was handed to the board of police commissioners yesterday with a written request from Patrolman J. L. Woolf that he be permitted to accept it. Counselor Cromer explained that he had recently sent Woolf out to stand guard at a wedding.

"When he left," said Cromer, "the host handed Woolf a cigar. He noticed that a bill was folded beneath the band. Woolf refused the cigar. The man asked Woolf to call at his place and gave him this box of cigars, which he is asking permission to accept."

"Good," shouted Commissioner marks, "I wish there were more men on the force like this one. Let him have the cigars. That's what all the men should do when they receive a present -- but they don't."

Labels: , , , ,

November 13, 1909


Mr. Sherwood and Miss O'Connor
Made a False Report True.

Because their friends "jollied" them so much about a false marriage report, printed a month ago, J. C. Sherwood, Jr., and Miss Eileen O'Connor settled the matter by being married last Saturday, the ceremony being performed in Kansas City, Kas., by Rev. M. J. McAnnany of St. Peter's church, and being kept secret until yesterday.

Mr. Sherwood is the son of J. C. Sherwood, vice president and auditor of the Central Coal and Coke Company, and is 21 years old. Mrs. Sherwood, who is 18 years old, is the daughter of Captain Thomas O'Connor of the Kansas City, Kas., fire department.

The young groom is still living with his parents at 100 East Thirty-eighth street, and the bride at her father's home, 1302 College avenue. No housekeeping plans have yet been made.

Labels: , , , ,

October 5, 1909



Thousands of Strangers in Line to
Congratulate Mr. and Mrs. "Al-
ligator Joe," -- "She's My
Peaches Now," Said Groom.

It's an unusual privilege for guests at a wedding to be able to buy young alligators from the bride. It was not only possible last night at Electric park but was done. It was one of the many features of the wedding of "Alligator Joe," who figured in the marriage license as Warren B. Frazee, and Miss Cleopatra N. Croff. The ceremony was witnessed by many thousand persons. The wedding was perfect in every way. From the moment the bridal party entered the gates of the park until the finish there was but the main hitch. The wedding principals entered the gates in t his order:

Michael G. Heim, manager of Electric park.
J. A. Wilson, secretary of the Missouri valley fair.
Platoon of police.
Hiner's band.
Two flower girls.
The wedding party in an auto.
The Independence, Kas., band.

A complete circuit of the colonnade at the park was made with either of the bands tooting away on a wedding strain. Reaching the entrance to the alligator farm, the bands and autos deployed. The wedding party was marched up the center aisle. On either side of the aisle, crocodiles and alligators splashed in the water or spread their leathery lengths on the sand. But "Alligator Joe" ignored for once the presence of the saurians.


It was an exclusive affair, an admission being charged, but several thousand guests were in the enclosure while hundreds more hung by their elbows on the fence. Outside thousands of persons stood. The marriage was celebrated on a raised dais. Overhead there were rafters of wheat straw and grasses. A wedding bell built of alfalfa and crimson tissue paper was suspended over the couples' head. James A. Finley was best man and Miss Genevieve Johnson the bridesmaid. The Rev. Wallace M. Short performed the ceremony.

A slight inadvertence on the part of "Alligator Joe" marred the occasion somewhat. When it became necessary for "Alligator Joe" to produce the ring, he could not. Never before had eh ever tried to reach gloved fingers into his vest pocket and hold a brand new hat in the other hand. So he clapped his had on his head. Mr. Finlay removed it. "Alligator Joe" dug and dug until he got the ring. Some of the guests snickered, even those who had paid to get in joining in the laughter. The man with the searchlight took pity on "Alligator Joe" and switched off the intense gleam.

After the ceremony "Alligator Joe" reached over and smacked "Mrs. Alligator Joe" heartily. The crowd cheered. Then Mr. Finley essayed to kiss her. "Alligator Joe" gave him the throttle clutch with his four fingers spread under Mr. Finley's chin.

"Quit," "Alligator Joe" said. "This is my peaches now."

"Mrs. Alligator Joe" protested. Then "Alligator Joe" relented and Mr. Finley was allowed to kiss the bride. Afterwards 1,000 persons filed by to congratulate the couple.


The bride was dressed in white and wore the conventional veil and orange blossoms. "Alligator Joe" was in black, his only ornament being a shark's tooth, worn pendant as a watch charm and an exquisite scarf pin fashioned of a fish fin.

"Lad--ies and gentle--men--n-n-n," "Alligator Joe" announced after the reception, through a megaphone, "we are about to give you one of the grandest exhibitions of alligator charming and hypnotism it ever will be your good fortune to see in the wide world. I have in my hand the crocodile Hiki-Kiki, which I will hypnotize before you all-l-l-l. It is simply a sample of the grand-est-t-t-t ex-hi-bi-tion within the park. Inside we will give the performance in a few minutes. All who wish to see it may buy their tickets now. The bride will give to each visitor-r-r-r who wishes them, a souvenir-r-r-r of the occasion."

Which she did, for a consideration. Arrayed in her white dress en train, the infant alligators were sold by the bride. "Alligator Joe," showman that he is, put in a stock of 800 of the tiny saurians.

Labels: , , , ,

October 4, 1909


Both are Serving Sentences in Kan-
sas Prison for Murder -- Exposi-
tion at Electric Park Is
in Full Swing.

The attendance at the Missouri Valley Fair and Exposition in Electric park increased from 8,000 Saturday to more than 20,000 yesterday. Nearly all of the visitors in the afternoon were from out-of-town, while the city folk predominated last night. All of the exhibits are in place, including the chickens, of which there are more than 400 coops.

Several attractions were added yesterday. The exhibit of the Kansas state prison was opened. It shows the binder twine made at the prison and some needle work by women prisoners. Among that class of work is a piece of work completed by Jessie Morrison, who is serving a life sentence for the killing of Mrs. Olin Castle of Eldorado, Kas. Another bit of fancy work made by a noted woman prisoner in the Kansas penitentiary is a pillow cushion cover finished by Molly Stewart, convicted of the Schneck murder at Ottawa.

The dog show will open Wednesday, as will the flower show. In order to protect the exhibits,a fire engine station has been installed in front of the German village. Joe, the Kansas City fire horse which won first place, with Dan, another Kansas City product, at the international fire congress under direction of George C. Hale, former fire chief, is on exhibition. The animal is now 32 years old.

At 8:45 o'clock tonight "Alligator Joe" is to be married. His real name is Warren B. Frazee. The bride-to-be is Miss Cleopatra N. Croff. The marriage is to take place in the alligator farm. It will be public.

Labels: , , , , ,

September 30, 1909


Daughter Married on Fiftieth An-
niversary of Parents.

A double wedding, one of them a golden one, took place at the home of Miss Alice Francis at 1410 Campbell street last night at half past 7 o'clock. At the same time her sister, Miss Jeanette Francis, was married to Norman H. Korte, agent for the Illinois Central at Paris, Ill, her mother and father, Mr. and Mrs. J. J. Franois of Clinton, Ill, were presented with their golden wedding gifts, and Rev. J. L. Thompson blessed their union of fifty years.

Mr. Francis is 77 years of age and his wife 68. Half a century ago yesterday they were married at Clinton, Ill.

Labels: , , ,

September 19, 1909



Mary Maloney and Ross Chamberlen
Marry in Leavenworth and Are
Unaware Parental Blessing
Awaits Them.

A very pretty romance attaches to the elopement and subsequent marriage yesterday of Miss May E. Maloney, a popular young woman of Kansas City, Kas., and Ross. H. Chamberlen, a newspaper reporter of that city. Although it has been generally understood among the more intimate friends of the young people that the question of marriage was not entirely foreign to their thoughts, the consensus of opinion seemed to be that they would wait until they were older.

For weeks Chamberlen and Miss Maloney waited for an opportune moment and yesterday the chance to slip away without being suspected by friends came. They intended to get married, come home and keep the secret until Christmas, at which time the parents of the bride and the many friends of both were to learn how well young folk can plan and retain a secret.


Fearing that license secured in Kansas City, Kas., would mean publicity, Mr. Chamberlen wrote a letter to the probate judge of Leavenworth county and at 3:15 o'clock yesterday afternoon the young couple boarded a Kansas City Western car and went to the court house in Leavenworth where the ceremony was performed. The bride had informed her mother, Mrs. C. F. Maloney, 273 North Seventh street, Kansas City, Kas., that she would not return home last night but would be with a young woman friend in Kansas City, mo. Mr. and Mrs. Chamberlen were in Leavenworth last night blissfully unconscious of the fact that their secret had been discovered.

When seen at their home at a late hour last night the parents of Mrs. Chamberlen were greatly surprised to learn of her marriage.

"I think she might have told me of her intentions," said the mother. "there was no reason why she should not have been married at home. I suppose like many other young girls she thought it would be more romantic to run away and get married. I am sure they must have intended to keep the marriage a secret for some time."


"I certainly am surprised, but it is too late to say anything now," was the comment of Mr. Maloney. "I have known Ross for a long time and they might just as well have been married at home, although I did not know they were thinking of taking such a step. A great success they made of keeping the matter a secret."

With the full knowledge that they will be welcomed not only by their parents but also by a host of friends who are eager to repay them for the attempted trick of keeping their marriage a secret, the young couple may now return to their home in Kansas City, Kas.

Labels: , ,

September 18, 1909


Miss Florence Oakley Received Stage
Training in Kansas City.

A romance which began over a year ago in the Auditorium theater, Los Angeles, Cal., culminated Thursday at San Rafael, just out of San Francisco, when Miss Florence Oakley, leading woman at the Liberty theater, Oakland, was married to Percival Pryor.

Miss Oakley is a Kansas City girl, and off the stage was known as Miss Florence McKim. Mr. Pryor is the only son of Judge J. H. Pryor, a millionaire of Pasadena, Cal.

While the engagement has been announced for some time, the young couple slipped away form the theater in Oakland in the afternoon and drove to San Rafael in a motor car where they were married. Mr. Pryor is 24 years old and his bride 20.

When Florence McKim, now Mrs. Pryor, was but 10 years old she appeared here in "A Midsummer Night's Dream" and made such a hit that she attracted the attention of Miss Georgia Brown, who has a dramatic school. From that time until her first engagement with the Carlton Macy stock company of Cleveland, O., she was a protege of Miss Brown. The young woman had talent and her rise was rapid. While under contract with David Belasco in New York and waiting to be placed, Miss Oakley received an offer of $225 a week from the Blackwood Stock company of Los Angeles to become a leading woman and accepted. It was her guiding star that sent her there, as through that engagement she met, loved, became engaged to and now has married the only son of a millionaire, and "Father" is said to be very fond of her.

"Florence was a dear little girl and a born actress," said Miss Georgia Brown, her instructor, last night.

Labels: , , , , , ,

September 11, 1909


Christian and Hebrew Elope to Live
in Kansas City.

NEW YORK, Sept. 10. -- Cupid mocked religion and nationality, as well as the parental objection, when Leon Cohen of Long Island wed Miss Myrtle Rhoads, the pretty 22-year-old daughter of Mrs. Hulda C. Rhoads. The young couple eloped, were married and left tonight for Kansas City, their future home.

The parental objection to a Jew could not be overcome, so Miss Myrtle decided to run away. She is a member of St. Ann's Catholic church and a talented musician.

Young Cohen is 28 years old and a member of the clothing firm of Cohen & Son of Sayville, L. I. He expects to establish a business in Kansas City.

Labels: , , ,

September 2, 1909


License Issued to J. M. Vanderveer
and Mrs. W. P. Vanderveer.

John McMath Van Derveer of Clanton, Ala., yesterday secured a license at the county clerk's office in Kansas City, Mo., to marry the widow of his brother, William P. Van Derveer, who died April 26, 1907, in Kansas City. Mrs. Van Derveer, who lives with her father, Joseph McGrath, a policeman, at 810 Colorado avenue, Kansas City, Kas., was not at home yesterday. Her sister, Miss Anna McGrath, stated that she knew Mrs. Van Derveer intended to marry her dead husband's brother but did not know where they were to be married.

"My sister, Leona, married William P. Van Derveer April 14, 1906," Miss McGrath said. "He was a soap salesman for the Swift Packing company. They lived at 1000 Glenwood avenue in Mt. Washington. He died a year and twelve days after their marriage, of typhoid fever. His wife took the body to Clanton, Ala., where his father owns a large plantation. At the funeral of her husband, she met John McMath Van Deveer, his brother. She remained a few months with her husband's parents, and then came back home to live. Later Mr. Van Deveer came up here to visit, and the engagement followed. They will live in Alabama."

Labels: , , , ,

August 16, 1909


Kansas City, Kas., Girl Finds Her
Parents Unrelenting.

Mr. and Mrs. James W. Wilhelm of 2034 North Fifth street, Kansas City, Kas., objected to their daughter, Miss Carrie, going with Senor Madrigal, a native of Costa Rica, who teaches Spanish in one of the Kansas City, Mo., high schools. Tuesday night they came over to Missouri and later called up the girl's parents, announcing they had been married.

Parental forgiveness was not forthcoming although a messenger who was sent for the young bride's clothes was given a bundle to take back with him by her mother. Last night Mr. Wilhelm notified the Kansas City, Kas., police department of the runaway but since the young lady is over 18 the law could not interfere.

Labels: , , ,

August 9, 1909


F. S. MacJohnstone Tells of Kansas
City 25 Years Ago.

"Kansas City was a mud hole when my wife and I left it for the West a quarter of a century ago," said F. S. MacJohnstone of Colorado Springs, Col., at the Hotel Moore last night. "Its transformation as we viewed it today from an automobile which whirled us over the magnificent boulevards is wonderful. Twenty-five years ago there were huge, ugly hills with rocks jutting out on every side, steep walks, poor sewerage, hilly paved streets and no park system. Now you have the opposite. In Colorado we have beautiful drives and parks for our natural mountain scenery gives us an unrivaled background.

"Neither my wife nor I deemed it possible that Kansas City could make the strides it has since we left it. We have read of the growth of the city but did not realize its extent. We drove this afternoon through Roanoke. We used to go nutting in what is now one of the prettiest residence districts in the city. At that time it was occupied by a few shacks.

"Although my father and I furnished locks and hardware for the Old Missouri Valley buidling which was located somewhere near Fifth and Delaware streets, the only familiar sight we met of any conssequence was the old Blossom house, opposite the Union depot. The hotel was built before we left Kansas City."

Mr. MacJohnstone is a former alderman of Colorado Springs. With his wife he came to Kansas City to attend the wedding of a cousin, Fred MacJohnstone of Chicago, to Miss Lydia Dunning of Rochester, N. Y. Miss Duning was the guest of the MacJohnstones at Colorado Springs and came to Kansas City with them. The bride and groom departed yesterday for Chicago.

Mr. and Mrs. MacJohnstone left last evening for Denver.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

August 8, 1909


John McGinnis Complains That $2
Fee Is Excessive.

John W. McGinnis, 1617 Oak street, told the marriage license clerk yesterday that the charge of $2 for a license was excessive. He said he believed that in view of this fact the minister who married him to Mrs. Susan J. Stratton of 2009 East Eighteenth street, should charge only 50 cents.

McGinnis is an old soldier and says he has been married three times before this venture. He is 69 years of age and his bride 71.

Labels: , , , ,

August 5, 1909


His Wife Is Hazel Vanderhool of
Near Kansas City.

MILWAUKEE, WIS., Aug. 4. -- Catcher Carl Wood, the youngster whom McCloskey signed to help out Moran behind the bat when Hostetter was injured, is quite an adept at signing contracts.

Wood got the matrimonial bug in his ear so me time ago when he saw a pretty farmer lassie down near Kansas City. After he had signed a contract with the Brewers he thought that he might as well make it good all around, and so signed up for life to take care of Mrs. Wood.

Mrs. Wood's name as it was registered on the roster of her sewing club before approaching the minister, was Miss Hazel Vanderhool, and her father is a well-to-do farmer near Kansas City.

Labels: ,

August 1, 1909


Eloped to St. Joseph With Edmond
Kuenster Last Monday.

Last Monday morning Miss Henrietta Till, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas A. Till, 4404 Campbell street, started for Lake Crystal, Minn., to spend the remainder of the summer. She was expected to arrive there Tuesday morning, and in due time there arrived in Kansas City the expected telegram from Lake Crystal:

"Arrived safely. -- Henrietta."

Yesterday afternoon there came a second telegram, this one to The Journal, dated St. Joseph, saying that Miss Till had been married by Father O'Donnell of the Holy Rosary church in St. Joseph Monday to Edmond Kuenster, a clerk in the Kansas City Bell telephone office. Kuenster had been paying attentions to Miss Till for a year, and it was understood there would be a wedding in the fall.

Asked if there had been opposition to his daughter marrying Kuenster, Mr. Till said there had been on his part, which probably accounted for the elopement.

The first the Till family knew of the marriage was Thursday afternoon when Kuenster called up the Till residence and said he was talking from St. Joseph, where relatives of his mother live. The new Mrs. Kuenster confirmed the report.

After that came news from another source that on Monday afternoon Kuenster and Miss Till, accompanied by a member of one of the Tootle firms in St. Joseph, went to the acting bishop of St. Joseph for a dispensation to allow the runaways to be married there. This was granted and the pastor of the Holy Rosary church performed the ceremony.

Labels: , , , , ,

July 17, 1909


Nellie Lylee Will Marry James Bar-
ton, 'Tho He Can't Recover.

One of the prettiest romances of the year will culminate tonight in the marriage of James T. Barton and Nellie E. Lyle at the Bell Memorial hospital in Rosedale, Kas. The hospital is to be the scene of the wedding because the groom is an inmate of the institution and not able to leave his bed.

While working in a stone quarry at Mankato, Kas., in 1906, a rock fell upon Barton's back and broke it. His life was despaired of, but he recovered sufficiently in March, 1907, to be taken to the Bell Memorial hospital, where he has been ever since. Physicians give no encouragement for his ultimate recovery and so far have only succeeded in keeping him alive.

Soon after the groom was brought to Rosedale there arrived in the Kansas suburb Miss Nellie E. Lyle from Moberly, Mo. She was the stricken man's fiance, and desired to be near her sweetheart. Securing employment she has lived near the injured man, and has done much to make his life in the hospital pleasant.

W. A. Drew, city marshal of Rosedale, yesterday appeared at the court house in Kansas City, Kas., and secured a marriage license for James T. Barton, 32 years old, of Corbett, Wyo., and Nellie E. Lyle, 26 years old, of Moberly, Mo. A nurse at the hospital last night confirmed the rumor of the marriage tonight, but the superintendent said he knew nothing about it.

Labels: , , , ,

July 13, 1909


Chicagoan Spent Weeks Trying Kan-
sas Document in Missouri.

A man giving his name as David Tillman and his address as Chicago went to the office of Van B. Prather, probate judge of Wyandotte county June 28 and asked for a marriage license for Pazatta Jackson of Richmond, Mo., and himself. The license was granted and he went away smiling. Yesterday he returned to the judge's office accompanied by his fiancee.

"Judge, why didn't you tell me that license wasn't good in Missouri?" he asked. "After I got that license I went to St. Joseph, Mo., to meet the girl and get married. When I got there they wouldn't marry us. I was afraid to get a new license for fear I would be arrested, so I had to wait until I could come back here. And what's more it cost me $8 for car fare."

The judge explained that the license could have been mailed to him or destroyed and no offense committed in getting a new one in Missouri. The judge then married couple.

Labels: , , , ,

July 3, 1909


Marriage of Adeline De Mare and
Henry Charles Augustus Somerset
in England is Confirmed

Carefully guarding the fact that he was of a titled English family, Henry Charles Augustus Somerset, son and heir of Lord Henry Somerset, wooed and won Mrs. Adeline De Mare, the Kansas City girl whose marriage to the nobleman was announced last Tuesday on postcards received by her friends and relatives in this city.

Letters received yesterday by the young woman's father, Craig Hunter, a railway labor agent with offices at 1002 Union avenue, confirm the report that his new son-in-law is the son of courtship which culminated in the marriage in London of June 16. The story, as told by Mrs. Hunter, who was with her daughter when the ceremony was performed, is that Mr. Somerset was attracted by Mrs. De Mare while the two were staying at the same hotel in Paris last winter. He did not tell Mrs. De Mare at that time that he was the son of Lord Somerset, merely representing himself to be a civil engineer of English birth.

When it became known that Mrs. De Mare and the English nobleman were to wed, there were protests from various sources. Mrs. Hunter did not wish to sanction the marriage, for she knew how strongly Mr. Hunter opposed the marriage of American girls to titled foreigners. Somerset's mother, Lady Henry Somerset, the famous temperance leader and suffragist, did not want her son to marry an American. She went so far as to declare that she would cut her son off "without a penny." This did not worry the son in the least, for he had inherited a comfortable fortune from his grandmother, the Duchess of Beaufort. So, in spite of these objections the Englishman and the American girl were wed and now they are spending a happy honeymoon in Switzerland. They probably will reside in England where Mr. Somerset has a palatial home.

Mr. Hunter, while much displeased because of the choice of his daughter, was relieved to a great extent when was informed that there was nothing "bogus" about the title or social standing of his new son-in-law.

"I would much rather Adeline had married a good, plain American," he said, "but it's all over now and I guess I have no kick coming. I fear, however, that Adeline will not be happy if Lord and Lady Somerset are so opposed to an American coming into their family."

Henry Somerset is 35 years of age and a widower. He has a daughter 9 years of age. Mrs. De Mare was 21 years of age last September. She was the widow of Professor Georges De Mare, the artist who lost his life in the fire which destroyed the University building, Ninth and Locust streets, May 8, 1907.

Labels: , , , ,

June 30, 1909



Post Cards Bear Announcement of
Marriage of Mrs. Adeline De
Mare to Henry Somerset
in England.
Mrs. Adeline De Mare, Widow of Professor Georges De Mare.
Who May Be Lady Somerset.

Post cards bearing the announcement of the marriage in London, England on June 16 of Mrs. Adeline De Mare of Kansas City, widow of Professor Georges De Mare, the artist who lost his life in the fire which destroyed the University building in this city in 1907, have given rise to the belief on the part of the friends and relatives of the young woman that she has wedded Henry Charles Somers Augustus Somerset, the son of Lord Henry Richard Charles Somerset, husband of Lady Henry Somerset, the famous temperance leader and suffragist.

According to the meager information conveyed by the postals, which were received from England yesterday by the father of the girl, Craig Hunter, a railway contractor with offices at 1002 Union avenue, and Mrs. Herman Lang, 3901 Forest avenue, a close friend of the family, Mrs. De Mare was married to a Henry Somerset in London on June 16. Partly through the way the announcements were worded and more through the presumption of those who received the announcements, the report was started that the Somerset in question is the son of the nobleman. Neither Mr. Hunter nor Mrs. Lang was in a position to confirm the report last night, but both were anxiously awaiting more information, which is expected to arrive by letter in a few days.


Mr. Hunter is not pleased with the thought that perhaps his daughter has become the wife of the son of an English nobleman.

"I sincerely hope that Adeline has not married into a titled family," he said yesterday. "I have always talked against such marriages, and if she has married Lord Somerset's son, she has acted directly contrary to any wish of mine. A good, plain American boy is my choice."

Mrs. De Mare, who graduated from the Central high school in the spring of 1905, married Professor Georges De Mare, head of the art department of the school, in December, 1906. Professor De Mare the following May was killed in a fire which destroyed the University building at Ninth and Locust streets. The death of her husband greatly preyed upon the mind of Mrs. De Mare and in order that she might be benefited by a change of scene she was sent to Paris to school in September, 1907.

She took up a course of study at the Sorbonne, the University of Paris. She was a proficient artist in instrumental music and completed a course in that study last spring. Last September her mother, Mrs. Hunter, went to Paris to return with Mrs. De Mare to America when her school work was completed. Mrs. Hunter and her daughter were to have sailed for America today form Naples. The plans of Mr. Hunter to meet them at New York are upset by the unexpected announcement of the daughter's marriage in London.


"Adeline's marriage was a complete surprise to me," said Mr. Hunter. "I received a letter from my wife two weeks ago in which she said that an Englishman by the name of Somerset was madly in love with the girl, but I did not think seriously of it. I did not think, either, that it might be a member of the Lord Somerset family. But now that I compare the meager descriptions I have received of the man with those of the son of the lord, I am firmly convinced that they are one and the same person.

"Mrs. Hunter said that the Mr. Somerset who was paying attention to my daughter was a widower and had a little daughter about 9 years of age. Henry Somerset, they tell me, was married in 1896 to the daughter of the Duke of St. Albans and should be at this time about the age of the man who married my daughter. He has been making his home in Paris for some time, so I guess there may be something to the report of my son-in-law being of a titled family. I hope, however, that it is not true."

Mrs. De Mare was 21 years old last September. She is a beautiful and talented woman and was very popular in the younger social set in Kansas City.

Eastnor Castle, near Ledbury in Herefordshire England

Somewhat eventful has been the history of the Somerset family. Nor has its domestic relations been of the happiest. The present Lady Somerset was married at the age of 18, after a brief season at court. The match between Lady Isobel and Lord Henry Somerset was arranged by the young girl's mother, and Lady Isobel's dowry was welcome to Lord Henry.

Two years after the wedding the only child, Henry Charles Augustus Somerset, was born. During those two years of married life there had been frequent ruptures between husband and wife with the result that divorce was frequently discussed by each. Shortly after the birth of the son the courts of England granted a divorce and gave the mother custody of the child.

For a while Lady Somerset kept up her social activities, but Queen Victoria looked into the causes of divorce and placed the social ban upon that immediate branch of the Somerset family. In June of 1902, however, King Edward, his wife and sister, Princess Beatrice, restored Lady Henry Somerset to court favor. This action on the part of King Edward occasioned favorable comment on the part of the British public and press.


When Lady Henry fell into disfavor with the court she retired and lead a sequestered life, teaching her boy. Later she sent her son to Harvard university, from which institution he graduated.

Henry Somers Somerset was married in 1896 to Katherine De Vere Beaucher. There had been no news in America of a divorce or of the wife's death. She has been described as a very beautiful woman and a prime favorite of the Somerset's.

Lady Henry Somerset has been long identified with socialism and temperance work. At the present time she is the president of the world organization of the W. C. T. U. She has spent large sums of money to alleviate the distress occasioned by drink among the men and women of England. She has written many books upon the subject of temperance and has become widely known.

Lord Henry Somerset, the divorced husband, has been lost from sight and there is no record of his death.

Henry, the son, who is said to have married Mrs. De Mare, is 35 years old.

Labels: , , , , , ,

June 21, 1909


Banquet and Ball Follows Ceremony
at Colonial Hall.

Mr. Harry Stemplman of Kansas City and Miss Annie Eisberg were married last night at Colonial hall.

The bride was attended by members of her immediate family and the groom by his youngest brother, they all standing under the improvised canopy which Jewish customs prescribe, while Rabbi Isidore Koplowitz read and chanted the marriage ceremony.

The the wedding cup was passed and the banquet begun . Despite the heat of the evening seventy-five couples swung out upon the floor of the Colonial hall and danced.

The groom is the son of Ben Stemplman and had lived at 1717 Campbell street. He and his bride will make the Savoy hotel their home for the immediate present.

Labels: , , , ,

June 9, 1909


Grace La Rue, Kansas City Vaude-
ville Actress, Weds in London.

Grace La Rue, a vaudeville actress, who formerly lived in Kansas City, was recently married to Byron D. Chandler, a millionaire of New Hampshire. The marriage took place in England and was known to only a few close friends of the couple.

Miss La Rue was a Miss Parsons and lived with her mother, Mrs. Lucy L. Parsons, at 1319 Broadway, Kansas City, Mo. She ran away from home when a child and joined a vaudeville company at St. Louis. Later she married Charles H. Burke, from whom she was divorced several years ago.

Mr. Chandler was recently divorced from his first wife and married Miss La Rue shortly after leaving America. Mr. and Mrs. Chandler are at a hotel in London. The announcement of the marriage was made accidentally while Mr. Chandler was being interviewed upon his scheme of driving a coach in opposition to Alfred G. Vanderbilt, between London and Brighton.

Labels: , , , ,

June 1, 1909


Miss Estella Greenwood of Kansas
City Weds Muskogeean.

MUSKOGEE, OK., May 31. -- E. Stanton Stofer, third baseman for the Muskogee team in the Western Association, and Miss Estella Greenwood of Kansas City, were married here this afternoon.

The players of the team made up a purse for the bridegroom, and President Shantz of the club will tomorrow night entertain the couple with a dinner and automobile ride.

The young woman came here from Kansas City. Stofer, who is also from Kansas City, is touted as the fastest kid infielder in the league. He is a personal friend and protege of Johnny Kling.

Labels: , , ,

May 11, 1909



"My Reasons for Marrying Are Not
for Publication," Said Veteran
Porter's Young Wife -- Plan
a Fine Honeymoon.

27-Year-Old Bride of 67-Year-Old Civil War Veteran.

December and June were mated last night at the Hotel Moore, Ninth and Central streets, when Henry C. Porter, 65 years old, was married to Miss Carrie Clements, 27 years of age. Porter, who lost his right leg at the battle of Gettysburg, supported himself on his crutches and took the hand of his diminutive bride in his while she promised to "love, honor and obey him until death did them part."

In celebration of the occasion the old soldier wore a "boiled shirt" with a stiff collar and necktie, for the first time in thirty years.

"I've been too busy out in Colorado and New Mexico to wear city clothes," he said. "But when a man marries there are a good many changes that come into his life and it isn't too much to ask him to wear these things then."

"Ours was a short courtship but a stirring one," continued Porter, his blue eyes twinkling. "I had seen her long before I made her acquaintance and was struck by her daintiness and prettiness. I made up my mind to win her. We boarded at the same house in Pueblo and two months ago I proposed and she accepted me. It's just like other love stories except that I was in a hurry and she couldn't resist me."


Miss Clements is a brunette, four feet five inches tall. She was born in Caldwell, Warren county, N. Y., and her parents and only sister live there yet. Three years ago she went to Pueblo, and was employed in a department store when the veteran met her.

"Why should a young woman like you marry an old man like Mr. Porter?" she was asked.

"That is the only question I will not answer," she replied. "I have my reasons, but they are not for publication."

Henry C. Porter enlisted in the Ninety-fifth New York volunteers at the outbreak of the civil war. He was in many battles and was orderly to General Reynolds at the battle of Gettysburg. He was a few feet behind that general when he was killed, and the next day was mowed down himself in the charge on Missionary Ridge. For several months he lay in the hospital with a lame leg, and afterwards joined a Nebraska cavalry regiment.

After the surrender at Appomatox, and the review of the troops at Washington, he found time to have his leg amputated, and then started to earn his living by his trade as a miller. He had learned this business at the age of 14 years, and at the time of his retirement several years ago had worked at it for forty years.


Porter moved to Colorado twenty-two years ago, and has worked in Denver, Leadville, Telluride, Cripple Creek, Pueblo and Albequerque, N. M. After his retirement he lived comfortably on his pension and the income from his property. He is fairly well-to-do.

The honeymoon trip which the oddly assorted pair will take is one to be envied. Miss Clements left Pueblo for this city several days ago and took rooms at the Buck hotel. Yesterday Mr. Porter arrived, and they were married last night. Today or tomorrow they will leave for St. Louis, and after resting a few days, proceed to Chicago. Thence they will travel by easy stages to Washington. Their next stopping place will be Baltimore, and they will take ship for San Francisco at New York. Later they will make a trip through Yellowstone Park, and will then go back to Pueblo or Denver, and begin housekeeping.

"I want to be back home in time to attend the national G. A. R. convention which will be held in Salt Lake City September 7," said the soldier, saluting and marching away in a brand new pair of crutches bought for the glad occasion.

Labels: , , , , , ,

May 2, 1909


Husband Didn't Keep Agreement,
and Judge Annuls Marriage.

Before Annie Shapiro and Hyman Stopeck were married Stopeck promised his future bride, daughter of a Jewish rabbi, that he would go through the Jewish ceremony of marriage as a confirmation of the knot tied in civil marriage. But Stopeck backed out and would not participate in the second ceremony. So his wife brought suit in the circuit court to annul the marriage.

After having had the case under consideration for several weeks, Judge Slover yesterday decided to annul the marriage.

"The promise the husband made that he would have the civil marriage solemnized by the Jewish ceremony was part of the contract when the civil marriage was entered into," said Judge Slover. "The contract of marriage was thus never fully carried out."

The Stopecks were married August 4 of last year in Kansas City, Kas. Returning to this city to the home of Samuel Shapiro, father of the bride, at 501 Oak street, they had dinner. The bride then asked that the Jewish ceremony proceed, but objection was made by Stopeck, who left the house and did not return.

Labels: , , , ,

April 4, 1909


Abraham Vanderpool Confesses to 70,
While His Bride is 44.

Abraham Vanderpool, an old soldier of Liberty, Mo., who modestly gave his age as 70, took out a license yesterday to wed Mrs. Martha Ann Fannon of Kansas City. She confessed to 44. The marriage ceremony was performed last night at the home of Mrs. Khoves, daughter of the bride, 225 West Sixteenth street.

Labels: , , , ,

March 28, 1909



Now Jacob Rieger, Aged 75, Is
Speeding Away From His
Intended Bride of
60 Years.

Jacob Rieger, 75 years old, who lives with his son, Alexander Rieger, a wholesale liquor dealer at 4121 Warwick boulevard, believes that at that age he is eligible to the order of benedicts. But others of Mr. Rieger's household had different opinions and as a result a pretty wedding supper was interrupted last Thursday evening at the home of the prospective bride, Mrs. Rosa Peck, 60 years old, a milliner at Sixth and Main streets. Also there is an attachment on $1,100 which Mr. Rieger had in the National Bank of Commerce and a fast train is now hurrying him to New York, where he is to remain until he has outgrown his love for the woman.

Since his wife died a year ago, Mr. Rieger, the elder, has complained of lonesomeness, but could find no one among his near relatives who would even offer a suggestion of a cure.

"It is a pity," he is said to have often remarked, "that an old man like me must stay a widower."

No one, however, paid much attention to the yearnings of the old man. He took his evening walks the same as usual and made no allusion to any woman in particular as a fit subject for his affections, and as he has for several years been a partial invalid no developments were expected.


Up to last Wednesday things went as usual with the old man except it was noticed he had gradually been lengthening his outdoor walks, sometimes absenting himself for hours at a time. Then the word was brought to Alexander Rieger that his father and Mrs. Peck had been to Kansas City, Kas., and obtained a marriage license.

Alexander Rieger immediately went to the telephone and called up his lawyer, Samuel Eppstein of the law firm of Eppstein, Ulmann & Miller, with offices in the Kansas City Life building.

Mr. Eppstein went to see Mrs. Peck that same afternoon in hopes of talking her out of the notion of marrying the elder Mr. Rieger. He told her that her prospective groom, through his retirement from the liquor business, was not exactly in independent circumstances, and that in addition he was suffering from chronic stomach trouble.

Mr. Eppstein is eloquent and talked long and earnestly but by all his entreaties he received a decided "no."

"I love him and I like him," was the double-barreled manner in which Mrs. Peck, in broken German accents, expressed her regard for Mr. Rieger.

"You can't take him from me," she said. "You don't know the love we have for each other, and I wouldnt give him up for $25,000," and there the argument ended.


The day following was stormy, but in spite of this fact the elder Mr. Rieger took a car for downtown early in the day. No one saw him go. It was hours before his absence was noticed and the alert lawyer again notified.

Mr. Eppstein at once hurried to the Sixth and Main street millinery store. He found Mrs. Peck had closed shop and was also missing.

Before starting out to forestall the wedding Mr. Eppstein arranged for a bill of attachment on all money Mr. Rieger had on deposit at the bank. Then he took a fast automobile ride to the home of Rabbi Max Lieberman at 1423 Tracy avenue, where he suspected the marriage ceremony would be performed.

As he expected, Mr. Rieger was there arranging for the nuptuals to be solmnized at 5:30 o'clock. After a good deal of argument Mr. Rieger consented to ride in the automobile back to the home of his son.

This was at 4 o'clock. About 5 o'clock he was again missing. This looked like buisness to Mr. Eppstein and the automobile was again brought into play and headed for the millinery store.

When the door of the living apartments at the rear of the store burst opeon to admit the excited lawyer it found a large table spread with a wedding feast and several guests, relatives of the propective bride assembled.

"This wedding can't go on!" shouted Mr. Eppstein. "I have arranged with the rabbi and he will not come."


"Oh, yes it will," said the bride calmly. "We'll arange for another minister, won't we, Jacob?"

"No, there is nothing doing in the marriage line," replied the lawyer. "It's all off. You see, it isn't legal because you got the license in Kansas City, Kas. That's the law, you know."

Mr. Eppstein did not wait to hear any more, but took the bridegroom by the arm and led him away.

At midnight he was placed aboard a fast train for New York. Mrs. Alexander Rieger went along for company.

Alexander Rieger has maintained a mail order trade under the name of his father, Jacob Rieger, at Fifteenth and Genesse streets for many years, the father now having no interest in the business. Mrs. Peck has been a milliner in the North End over twenty years and is said to have laid by a snug sum of money. Her husband died many years ago, leaving the business exclusively to her.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

March 17, 1909


Preacher About Only Man Who Was
In on This One.

At 5 o'clock yesterday afternoon a nice young man, accompanied by a yo ung lady just as nice, and pretty besides, approached the desk at the Baltimore. He registered the name of "Miss Lulu Sollars, City," and Miss Sollars was assigned to room 267.

At 8 o'clock last evening the Rev. Samuel Garvin of Kansas City, Kas., entered the Baltimore hotel, asked to be directed t room 267, was show the way, and after a short time returned to the main floor and made a hasty exit to the street.

Not long after the minister's departure the gentleman who had accompanied Miss Sollars to the desk reappeared, registered the name of Mr. and Mrs. Ezra Jones, Warrensburg, Mo., and at his direction the name of Miss Lulu Sollars was stricken from the roll.

The visit of the minister had resulted in a change of name for Miss Sollars and has also resulted in an addition to the responsibilities of one Ezra Jones, who is reported to be a wealthy cattleman of Warrensburg.

The prospective bride and groom left Warrensburg yesterday afternoon at 3, giving no more intimation of their intentions than they did when Mr. Jones slyly registered his bride and then went on a still hunt for a preacher to tie the knot.

Labels: , , ,

February 19, 1909


Was Married to Mrs. Florence Ma-
hannah in St. Joseph.

J. C. Altman and Mrs. Florence Mahannah slipped quietly away from friends and family, took a morning train for St. Joseph and were married, although the banns had been announced and Easter was set as the day for the wedding. Mr. Altman is the proprietor of the Altman Shoe Company at Eleventh and Walnut streets, and his bride was formerly employed at the Klein Jewelry Company, 1119 Main street.

The couple arrived in St. Joseph about noon time and proceeded directly to the court house where they secured the license. From there they went to St. Joseph's cathedral, where the ceremony was performed by Father Malloon. Mrs. Lou Harper, a sister of the bride, was present and W. X. Donovan of St. Joseph acted as best man. Mr. and Mrs. Altman will make their home at 1231 Holmes street. They returned to Kansas City late last night.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

February 10, 1909



Wife Is 72 Years Old, but She
Doesn't Look It, While Biggs
Is as Youg as He

Age hasn't a thing to do with it when Dan Cupid gets busy with his up-to-date noiseless gun. Carefully he trained his love-dealing instrument upon the hearts of Edward Biggs, 95 years old, and Mrs. Mary Adams, 72. Cupid's work began three years ago. Last night they were married at the home of the bride's son, William Adams, 2633 College avenue. Earlier in the day they had appeared at the county courthouse for a marriage license, both cold and happy. The son, Wiliam Adams, had talked with Recorder Frank Ross over the telephone and broke the news thus:

"There is an old man who wants to marry my mother and she seems to want to marry him. Can you let them have a license?"

And now the knot is tied and for the third time Biggs has "taken unto himself a wife." The ceremony was a peculiar one, performed in the presence of many close friends and relatives by Rev. J. L. Thompson, pastor of the Forest Avenue Christian church, whre the romance began.

There were no groomsmen, no bridesmaids, no ring bearer, no music, just theminister and the smiling old couple. The ceremony was short, but it was a sweet one," as Mrs. J. C. Smith, the old man's daughter, expressed it after the wedding.

Agfter the ceremony, groups of visitors gathered about the piano in the parlor and sang such songs as "God Be With You," "I Need Thee Every Hour," and "Nearer My God to Thee." Biggs and his wife sat silently in a far corner of the parlor and listened.

Both Mr. Biggs and his new wife are devoted members of the Christian church.

"I think they will be happy," said Mr. Biggs's daughter. "They are going to housekeeping right away, though the location has not been selected as yet."

Biggs was born in London, December 16, 1813. He remembers well when Queen Victoria was but a slip of a girl, and he can tell of the day on which the present King Edward was born. He came to Kansas City about thirty years ago and engaged in the hotel business. He has acquired a competence by many years of work and intends to remain out of active business life.

He is one of the oldest contiuous subscribers to The Journal. He began taking the paper in 1847.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

February 5, 1909


S. D. Hollis and Wife Couldn't Bear
To Be Apart, So the Second Wed-
ding Takes Place At Daugh-
ter's Home.

Ten years ago S. D. Hollis and his wife Mary, both of this city, quarreled and there was a legal separation. In the divorce court they had complained bitterly of each other, and when the hour of final parting came they declared with one accord that their marriage was a mistake, although they had lived together thirty years and reared ten children. It was a dry-eyed farewell. Hollis, glad of his freedom, went to Oklahoma, leaving Mrs. Hollis with her daughter, Mrs. Maude O'Flaherty, at 1606 Charlotte street.

Last night there was another chapter to the story in the Hollis household when at the house on Charlotte street a minister remarried the couple after they declared they were willing to remain together for the rest of their lives. Yesterday morning Mr. Hollis, who is now a night clerk at the Model hotel of El Reno, Ok., dropped in to the O'Flaherty home unexpectedly and asked for a reunion. And then it developed that he had come at the instigation of Mrs. Hollis, who had written him a letter from Omaha telling him she was lonely. The children as well as the parents were very happy last night.

"I admit that I was foolish and it all happened because of my ungovernable temper," said Mr. Hollis in explaining how it came about.

"We quarreled about a member of our family ten years ago. My wife took one course and I took another. We ended the argument in the divorce court.

"Three years ago I tried to take her back and she agreed, but we finally decided not to marry again. Last December I called here with the intention of bringing Mrs. Hollis back to Oklahoma as my wife. She had gone to Omaha, so after waiting six weeks I went home without her. This time I knew nothing could keep us apart, for we have both grown old and need each other's society."

Labels: , , , , ,

December 31, 1908





Mrs. Setzer Was Married on Christ-
mas Eve -- Was Pledged Pre-
viously to Reese -- Her
Wound May Be Fatal.
Ray Reese and Mrs. Edna Setzer, Former Sweethearts Who Met A Violent End.

At the close of a week of festifities and hoy in the life of Mrs. Edna Setzer, 19 years old, a bride since Christmas eve, she was shot in her home, 621 Virginia avenue, Kansas City, Kas., about 5 o'clock yesterday afternoon by Ray Reese, 23 years old, a former suitor. After shooting Mrs. Setzer, Reese, who is a car cleaner for the Union Pacific railway, and lives at 137 South First street, Argentine, sent a bullet into his brain and died instantly. Dr. A. J. Cannon, police surgeon, says Mrs. Setzer cannot live.

About nine months ago when Mrs. Setzer was Miss Edna Mecum, living with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. L. L. Mecum, at 1618 North Fifth street, Kansas City, Kas, she and Ray Reese met at a dance given by the Royal Highlander's lodge. According to report they became engaged and remained so for two or three months, when they quarreled and she broke off the engagement.

Reese seemed to treat the matter lightly, and he and his former fiance danced together several times afterwards when they met at lodge functions, and there was never a thought of danger in the future.


Chirstmas eve Edna Mecum became the bride of Clyde Setzer, a young man employed at the Kansas City Packing Box Company's plant in Armourdale. They went to live with the bride's sister, Mrs. N. C. Ladd, 621 Virginia avenue, where the tragedy was enacted last evening.

Tuesday evening Mrs. Ladd responded to a knock at her door and was surprised to find Reese standing there. He did not make himself known, but asked, "Is there a family by the name of Jones living in this neighborhood?" Told that there was none, he left, saying no more, and apparently believing himself unrecognized. Mrs. Ladd laughed at the incident and told the happy young couple of what had happened. Still nothing was suspected.

It was about 3:30 yesterday afternoon when Reese met Mrs. Mecum, mother of the bride, almost at the latter's gate.

"Just the person I need," he said, jovially. "Take me in so that I may congratulate the bride."


Mrs. Mecum and the man with murder in his heart entered the house together. Reese and Mrs. Setzer talked pleasantly for about fifteen minutes. He even then exhibited no signs of resentment or anger. He left with the bride's mother and at the door said to Mrs. Setzer, in tones of gentle concern: "I wish you a long and a very happy life."

It was only a few minutes before 5 o'clock when the door of the house opened and Mrs. Ladd, without looking up, said, "Well, there is that grocery boy at last." But it was Reese. He walked without a word past Mrs. Ladd to the front of the room where the girl whom he once pretended to love sat eating popcorn.

Drawing a photograph from his pocket and handing it to Mrs. Setzer, he said, "Here, I forgot to give you back this picture. I don't want to be carrying a married woman's picture around with me."

"Thank you," smiled the girl, accepting the picture and at the same time starting to rise.


Stepping back a pace Reese drew a revolver. Mrs. Ladd, who had just entered the room, fled screaming. Reese fired one shot into Mrs. Setzer's right breast, the ball penetrating the lung and going through the body. Taking one look at the prostrate, bleeding form of the girl, Reese walked into an inner room and placed the revolver to his right temple, fired a shot into his brain, which instantly ended his life.

Dr. a. J. Gannon, police surgeon, was immediately summoned and did all he could for Mrs. Setzer. She had been removed to a bed and was unconscious. In the doctor's opinion there is little hope for her. Reese's body was taken in charge by the coroner and sent to a morgue. Reese's purpose was so clear that it is not believed that an inquest will be necessary.

Reese's parents, Mr. and Mrs. William R. Reese, with whom he lived, were greatly shocked over their son's double deed. They said they had no intimation of such a tragedy.

Labels: , , , , ,

December 29, 1908


Mr. and Mrs. Coey Will Go to Cali-
fornia by Rail.

Charles A. Coey of Chicago and Miss Carrie Hume Lewis of 1809 Linwood boulevard, this city, will be married at the home of Miss Lewis's parents next Saturday night. Mr. Coey is prominent in Chicago automobile circles and an enthusiastic aeronaut. The latter fact caused some of Mr. Coey's friends, who believe in practical jokes, to spread the story that with his bride he would go on a honeymoon trip through the clouds, starting in a large balloon from Kansas City. One Chicago newspaper accepted the yarn as fact and solemnly published it.

"It was an absurd story," said Miss Lewis at her home last night. "Why, we had never even thought of such a thing. We will leave for Los Angeles next Sautrday night, and don't forget to state that we will go by rail. After two months we shall return to Chicago and be at home at the Auditorium Annes."

Miss Lewis is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. B. Lewis.

Labels: , , , , , ,

December 25, 1908


Nineteen-Year-Old Susan Vauhn
Marries 74-Year-Old Man.

Groom, aged 74; bride, aged 19 -- such was a marriage solemnized at Independence Wednesday afternoon, Justice L. P. Anderson officiating. Benjamin Sellers, the groom, is sprightly and well preserved. His bride, who was Miss Susan Vaughn, a comely lass with red hair, is a picture of robust health. Her father is W. M. Vaughn of Sheffield. Mr. Sellers is an Englishman. In 1857 he entered the em ploy of General Tom Thumb as valet, with whom he traveled for fifteen years. He still has an old suit of clothes which belonged to the famous dwarf.

When seen yesterday at their home, 427 East Fifth street, Mr. and Mrs. Sellers were very happy. "I know it is something out of the ordinary," said Mrs. Sellers, "but it is no one's business but our own. Grandpa -- that is, my husband -- has been very good to me ever since I have known him. I am satisfied with him as a husband."

"Yes," said Mr. Sellers, "Susan, who has been my housekeeper since last May, has been a good one. I believe she will be a good wife. The reason? Well, you see, I am getting a little too old, and tho ught I ought to have someone to take care of me."

This is Mr. Sellers's second marriage. His first wife, whome he married when he was 32, died about three years ago. He has three sons and a daughter living at Wakeeney, Kas. He is a well-to-do man.

On New Year's day the couple will start out on a honeymoon tour. They expect to spend about three months in California and the West, after which they will return to Kansas City and purchase a home.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

December 12, 1908


John C. Long's Bride a Girl He Met
While in Europe.

ISLAND HEIGHTS, N. J., Dec. 11 -- (Special.) A romance that began on the other side of the Atlantic was consummated here today, when Miss Bertha Wood, daughter of Mrs. Mary M. Wood, was married at the home of her mother to John C. Long of Kansas City, Mo.

Rev. John A. Oakes of the Island Heights M. E. Church, performed the ceremony. After the wedding dinner the young couple left for Missouri, where the groom has a cozy home waiting for the bride.

Mrs. Long is an artist of some note and is the sister of Charles King Wood, who is known as an artist and one of the heads of the Red Cross work in this country and in Europe. It was while abroad that the young people met and the romance began.

Labels: ,

November 28, 1908


Father of Bride Fired Pistol to Stop
a Charivari.

Because he fired three shots from a revolver for the purpose of breaking up a charivari crowd, A. T. Hutchings of 649 Miami avenue, Kansas City, Kas., was fined $5 in police court yesterday morning. Mr. Hutchings is the father of Grace Hutchings, who became the bride of Charles Dunkin Thursday.

Wedding festivities were in full progress at the Hutchings home Thursday night when the wedding celebrators arrived. Outside the house the noise occasioned by the beating of tin pans and kettles was so intense that Mr. Hutchings resorted to firearms for a quietus. His cure was effective, but it also led to his arrest and fine in police court.

Labels: , ,

October 11, 1908


Naturally So, Seeing That Neither
Bride Nor Groom Could Speak.

"They were very quietly married," Justice of the Peace Mike Ross said yesterday afternoon. And indeed they were, for neither of the two people spoke a word during the marriage ceremony. It was just a few minutes before 5 o'clock yesterday afternoon when three people strolled into the office of the recorder of deeds. A young man came first, followed by a young woman, and the mother of the girl bringing up the rear. Gazing around the large room until his eyes found the sign "Marriage Licenses" over a door in the corner he directed his steps thitherward.

Intuition on the part of the license clerk told him what the young couple had come for. The young man indicated that the sign language was the best he could do in the way of conversation, and the clerk nodded that he understood. Lester B. Honican, 23 years old, Cynthiana, Ky., and C. May Frank, 20 years, Wyandotte, Kas., was written on a piece of paper by the young man and the clerk filled out the necessary papers.

Honican then wrote the words "justice of the peace." and Justice Ross was summoned. The gentleman who has officiated in hundreds of court house marriages forsook the ceremony he has used so often and asked each of the parties one short question, which was written on a slip of paper and the parties read it. The marriage of the deaf mutes yesterday was said to have been the first silent marriage ceremony ever performed in the court house.

Labels: , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory