Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

February 10, 1910


George Hamlin to Perform
at the Willis Wood.
George Hamlin, Famous Singer who will be Appearing at the Willis Wood.

The George Hamlin concert at the Willis Wood theater tomorrow afternoon at 4 o'clock will be the fifth regular attraction in the W. M. series. Mr. Hamlin is one of the famous concert singers in the country and is specially noted for his success as a lieder singer. He was the introducer of the songs of Richard Strauss to American music lovers and the programme he has arranged for tomorrow's concert is excellently chosen to illustrate his gifts as a concert recital and oratorio singer. Schubert and Schumann are represented with two numbers each; Liszt and Brahms and two Handel numbers represent the other masters. Of special local interest is Carl Busch's "The Last Tschastas," dedicated to Mr. Hamlin. Edward Schneider, the gifted accompanist, has two places on the programme and there are other interesting features.

The students' seats are placed on sale the morning of the concert. All inquiries should be addressed to Miss Myrtle Irene Mitchell at the Willis Wood theater.

Labels: , , ,

February 9, 1910


Traveler Tears Ticket to Bits and
Scatters Them Over His Person.

Joe Lamford, who claims Seattle, Wash., as his residence, spent several hours yesterday trying to pass through the Union depot gates on a tattered ticket. He explained that on his arrival here last Friday he had torn his ticket for Oklahoma City into small pieces and placed them in different pockets to prevent "lifting." Then according to his story he took in Union avenue. After a few days in the workhouse, he tried to get his ticket together. When he presented the various portions in an envelope yesterday, he was given the option of buying another ticket or counting the ties to Oklahoma City.

Labels: , , , ,

February 7, 1910


Wedding Party Speeds Mr. and Mrs.
Crossert to New Home.

A wedding party took possession of the Union depot last night, showering the bride and groom with rice and covering them with confusion as well, much to the enjoyment of belated travelers. The bride was formerly Miss Eva Maddeford of Burlingame, Kas., and the groom Daniel Crossert of Osage City, Kas. The wedding ceremony was performed by Probate Judge Van B. Prather at his home in Kansas City, Kas. Mr. and Mrs. Crossert departed on the 10:30 Santa Fe for Osage City, where they will make their home.

Labels: , , ,

February 5, 1910


Hostess Detained by Accident -- Mrs.
Aldrich Writes Literature
for the Blind.

Mrs. Clara Aldrich, totally blind and a stranger in Kansas City, arrived at the Union depot last night from Joliet, Ill. She was expecting friends to meet her at the station, but was disappointed. She told Mrs. Ollie Everingham, matron at the depot, that Mrs. O. P. Blatchley of 220 South Ash street, in Kansas City, Kas., had promised to meet her. The matron called the Blatchley home over the telephone and found that Mrs. Blatchley had fallen on the ice near her home yesterday morning and received injuries which confined her to bed. The matron sent Mrs. Aldrich to the Young Women's Christian Association boarding house for the night.

Dr. O. P. Blatchley said last night that his wife's parents were friends of the parents of Mrs. Aldrich, and that she had arranged to locate her in Kansas City, Kas. Dr. Blatchley said that Mrs. Aldrich for many years has been engaged in writing religious literature for students in the blind schools over the country.

Mrs. Blatchley suffered a dislocated left shoulder and a ruptured artery over her left eye in her fall yesterday.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

February 4, 1910


Party of Thirty-Five Who Will Try
Dry Farming There.

Armed with a combination of horns and cowbells, a crowd of thirty-five Norwegians passed through the Union depot last night en route to Hansford, in the Texas Panhandle. They are going to a Norwegian settlement there to farm. The settlers are all of the well-to-do class of farmers. They have purchased from 160 to 640 acres of land and are equipped with machinery and stock. churches and schools have been established and the move will be more in the nature of a transplanting operation.

Labels: , , , ,

February 3, 1910


Angora Breed Thrives There and
New Industry May Result.

"Kansas may soon furnish the hair for the very fine Angora rabbit yarn which is now imported from France," said H. Lee Mallory, a manufacturer of New York city, at the Hotel Baltimore last night. Mr. Mallory and his wife are on their way to the coast.

"The finest yarns at present are those of the Angora rabbits. These yarns are woven into the very expensive jersey, or sweater coats, and other articles of apparel. It is a silky yarn, much softer than any other, and very warm. Next to the Angora rabbit comes the llama of South America, the India cashmere and the Angora goat. A few years ago a Kansan happened to be in France at the same time I was, and he took home some of their Angora rabbits. They thrived in Kansas, and the hair he sent me last year was fully equal to the imported hair.

"The automobile is responsible for the popularity of the sweater or jersey coats and costumes," continued Mr. Mallory. "The manufacturers are now turning out complete suits, consisting of helmet caps, or hoods, coats, mittens and slippers. Slumber robes have also been added to the list of articles for the benefit of those who wish to sleep in the open. Dressed in these garments, a person could almost brave a trip to the North pole.

Labels: , , ,

January 30, 1910


His "Hands" at the Theater and
"Loud" Type for Lauder on Bill-
ings Cause Separation Here.

Julian Eltinge and Harry Lauder came to the parting of the ways yesterday. Last night they bade one another adieu and probably will not be seen in the same company again. Mr. Lauder departed for Chicago on a late train and Mr. Eltinge will leave some time today for Excelsior Springs where he will endeavor to take off a few pounds of surplus flesh, after which he will go to New Orleans.

There has been more or less professional jealousy between Messrs. Lauder and Eltinge ever since they were together, the name of Lauder growing larger on the billings, although friends of Mr. Eltinge say that he was the man who got the greater number of "hands" during the performances. This piqued Mr. Eltinge and a couple of weeks ago stories began floating East to the effect that he had severed his connection with the Lauder company. Ted Marks, the advance man and the representative of the Morris interests, was kept busy denying these stories.

The final breach came in Kansas City. Mr. Lauder thought that Kansas City theatergoers did not appreciate his "art" as much as the people in other cities and that Mr. Eltinge got entirely too much attention. Mr. Eltinge saw his name in small type. He believed that he was doing the work that carried the show along. There was but one thing for Mr. Morris to do. That was to separate them.

Both are under contract with him, so now he is taking a chance that they will make more money for him playing individually in different sections of the country than they will together. In any event it will give the theatrical people an opportunity to determine for themselves just how strong Mr. Eltinge is with the masses.

Labels: , , ,

January 29, 1910


But Now George O. Purdy Is Chief
of Police in East St. Louis.

George O. Purdy, chief of police of East St. Louis, Ill., for the past eight years, whose department has the record of capturing a greater percentage of malefactors than any other police department in the country, arrived at the Savoy hotel last night. It was Chief Purdy who adopted the system of putting practically all of his policemen in plain clothes and sending them out in the shape of a dragnet whenever a crime was committed, and he has advocated this plan at every meeting of the International Association of Chiefs of Police, of which he is a member of the executive committee representing Illinois.

Twenty-three years ago Chief Purdy was a Kansas City contractor. He laid the foundation and the first story of the old Missouri, Kansas and Texas Trust Company building, the first of the Stilwell propositions in this section.

"Kansas City is destined to be the coming inland city," said Chief of Police Purdy last night. "It may take a few years, but she has the advantages and just look at the territory that is dependent on this city for supplies. A score or more years ago the wildest dreamer of the then boom days of this city could not have predicted the advances it has made. It is wonderful. There is a hustle and a bustle about this city that does not exist in other cities in this country and although I am across the river from St. Louis I will say that unless St. Louis gets a move on itself and that in a hurry, Kansas City will soon leave it behind."

Labels: , , ,

January 25, 1910

Cincinnati Heir and Music Hall Bride
on the Way to the Coast.

CINCINNATI, Jan. 24. -- Harry A. Rheinstrom and his bride, who was Miss Edna Loftus, an English music hall beauty, will spend Tuesday in Kansas city. They left Cincinnati this morning and spent today in Chicago. They say they are making a "stop-by-the-wayside" trip to Los Angeles and that they are going to see all of the country they can before they reach there. This is the reason given by Rheinstrom for lingering in many cities on the way to the Southwest. The family affairs of the young millionaire have been adjusted amicably and his mother is said to have asked that he take his music hall bride to Los Angeles and live there.

Labels: ,

January 24, 1910


Kansas City, St. Joseph and St.
Louis Department Officials
In Conference Here.

Police officials from St. Louis and St. Joseph were in conference with Captains John J. Casey and John J. Ennis of the Kansas City department at police headquarters yesterday afternoon to formulate plans for the passage of a police pension fund bill through the state legislature.

The meeting was held in the private office of Commissioner Ralph B. Middlebrook, the commissioner himself being present. No definite line of action was decided upon. The rough draft of the bill already formulated requests that all cities in the state of Missouri with a population of 100,000 be allowed to set apart a percentage of their yearly income for the maintenance of a pension fund for the support of police officers, who, by reason of illness or injuries, may be incapacitated. Commissioner Middlebrook stated that he thought that it was a humane idea and worthy of success.

The visiting officers are Inspector Major Richardson McDonald, Lieutenant T. J. Donegan and Sergeant James Healey of St. Louis, and Chief of Police Charles Haskell, Sergeant Martin Shea and Patrolman Joseph O'Brien from St. Joseph. Another meeting will be held this morning.

Labels: , , , ,

January 23, 1910


Durable Dane Will Referee Matches
at Century.

Battling Nelson, lightweight champion of the world, will spend the coming week in Kansas City with a friend who is in the company at the Century theater. Nelson was with the show for a time, and he cancelled his theatrical engagements to accept several offers to fight lightweights in different parts of the country.

While resting in Kansas City this week he will referee wrestling bouts at the Century and visit Kansas City friends.

Labels: , ,

January 22, 1910


Says They Have Plenty of Money
and Charge is Absurd.

Clyde Houk, a prisoner at police headquarters awaiting the arrival of officers who will take him back to his home at Memphis, Tenn., on suspicion of having passed worthless paper, still retains the unshaken confidence of his bride of two weeks.

All day yesterday Mrs. Houk, a fragile little woman of about 25 years, sat in the matron's room holding her husband's hand and consoling him as best she could. They were visiting Kansas City on their honeymoon when Houk was arrested by Detectives Andrew O'Hare and D. D. Mitchell Thursday night.

"Of course Clyde is innocent," Mrs. Houk said yesterday. "The whole affair is a terrible mistake. Clyde is well known in Memphis, where he was engaged in the implement business. We have plenty of money, and it is absurd to connect my husband with anything dishonest. He merely overdrew his bank account a few dollars, that's all. Why, he did not even know that he had done so. I don't see the need of having policemen come to get Clyde, as we were going back to Memphis anyhow. I shall go with him and see the matter through."

Labels: , , ,

January 17, 1910


Winnipeg Contractor Here Making
Investigation of Boulevards.

"Canadian cities are copying Kansas City in the plan of its boulevards, in the material used in them, and their ornamentation," said A. R. McNeil of Winnipeg, at the Hotel Baltimore last night. Mr. McNeil is a contractor and came to Kansas City to make a thorough investigation of the boulevard system, the paving materials used and their life under the various sorts of usage. He will call on Mayor Crittenden and the other city officials today in quest of further information.

Labels: ,

January 17, 1910


Plant Will Be Only Stage Affair,
But Beauties Will Handle
Real Pickles.

"Working in a pickle factory" will no longer be a joke with a score of pretty young women from various walks of life in Kansas City who will hold forth at the Orpheum theater this week as employes of a pickle factory in Helen Grantley's sketch, "The Agitator," the top liner on the bill. They will handle real pickles and after a week's training and rehearsals and their participation in the show this week it is predicted they will have no difficulty in getting work as experts in the business, should they so desire.

The sketch is based in part on the female suffrage movement. The scene in which the young women work is one in which Miss Grantley makes her plea for a strike. Of course the girls follow their leader, the strike is called and after the usual trials and tribulations of strikers, is won. The sketch created somewhat of a sensation in New York, the play there being made more realistic by the fact that the girls who counterfeited the pickle trimmers were really striking shirt waist makers.

Miss Grantley came here with her company a week ago ahead of her billing so that she might rehearse the score of young women supers, some of whom will be carried with the company at the close of the week.

An advertisement brought half a hundred replies and out of this number Miss Grantley selected a score of girls. Among those selected were stenographers, two high school girls who were "just dying" to go on the stage even if they had to work in a "pickle factory," a telephone girl who had often wished that she might appear behind the footlights, three art students who wanted the work for the "atmosphere," later to be transferred to canvas, and a couple of girls who had not worked anywhere, but who sought this as a stepping stone to the stage.

It was an ungainly and awkward squad, as they lined up for the first rehearsal. Only one of the girls had ever been back of the scenes, and she was fairly lionized by the others. The turn was not a difficult one, and after the story of the play was told, the girls quickly appreciated the points which it was desired to emphasize.

"A trained chorus direct from New York City could not have done any better," declared Miss Grantley last evening. "They still have another rehearsal, but they are letter perfect now and I am sure that some of them will come with me when I leave the city."

Labels: , , , , ,

January 15, 1910


Laura Kessler Befriended Harry
Shaw Years Ago.

If Laura Kessler, who several years ago befriended Harry Shaw after the latter was injured in a street car accident, still is in the city, Shaw is here and anxious to reward her. Shaw's home is in Davenport, Ia., but he has been West the last few years and has made money in the mines.

Last night he called at police headquarters and asked the assistance of the police in locating Miss Kessler. When he was injured he was working for the Depot Baggage & Carriage Co., he says.

Labels: , ,

January 13, 1910



"Mooning" Around Third
and Main When Arrested
by Policeman.
Parted Sweethearts Chessie Nave and Richard Wiliford.

Chessie Nave is 16, and Richard Wiliford is 20, but they each felt a great deal older and more responsible than when they arrived in Kansas City yesterday morning on an early train, with a wish and a determination to get married. they didn't feel so old nor so responsible last night. This is the way of it:

Last Tuesday the young people ran away together from Lexington, Mo., where the young man is a student in Wentworth Military academy. The girl is just a girl. they were accompanied on their matrimonial excursion by two friends, Grace Nave, a cousin of Miss Chessie, and Calvin Cook of Bartlesville, also a student in the military academy. The plan of the eloping kittens was to get a marriage license in Kansas City, Kas., where officials dealing in Cupid's paper are generally supposed to be gentle and kind. They missed the direction and went "mooning around the vicinity of Third and Main streets at an early hour yesterday morning. There a policeman found them.

The police had been notified that the young people were headed toward Kansas City with some kind of a prank in veiw, and the policeman saw them and happened to remember. He nailed them.

Joel Wiliford, Woodford, Ok., father of Richard, had also been notified of his son's unceremonious leave in company with a little girl in skirts. The old gentleman hopped a train and got to Kansas City about as soon as the elopers. He dropped into central police station about the time that Richard and Chessie, Grace and Calvin were making a botch of trying to argue the police into the belief that while the resemblance was probably great, it was not absolute.

Papa Wiliford tried moral persuasion on his son. Nothing doing. Son was obdurate. What's the use of trying to make a soldier of a fellow, anyway, if you expect him to give up his girl at a mere parental command Richard said a soldier should never surrender. And he further declared he wouldn't. So into the dungeon cell went he, like any real, spicy, belted and buckled Don Juan of old. His good friend Calvin went along with him, but not from choice.

As for the girls, they saw life as it is from the matron's room Thus stood the matter all day. Richard would not desert the principles of academic soldiering, and Chessie vowed she would be as true as "Beautiful Bessie, the Banana Girl, or, "He Kissed Me Once and I Can't Forget." Then came Nash Ruby, brother-in-law of Chessie. He came From Lexington. He looked real fierce.


Forth from the dungeon cell marched Soldier Richard, and friend Calvin. Down from the matron's melancholy boudoir minced Chessie and Grace. They were herded into the office of Captain Walter Whitsett, where more moral suasion was rubbed on.

Richard, during the afternoon, had agreed with his father upon a compromise, bu which he was to return to school and finish his education. Later he took it all back. And w hen he saw Chessie he said:

"I'm going to marry you, Chessie, even if I never become a great general."

"That's where you're wrong," mildly said Papa Wiliford.

Then Chessie put in her word. But it didn't move anybody at all. Unless it was Nash Ruby, Brother-in-Law Nash. "You'll come along home with me, miss," said he. Chessie subsided. But when it came to parting, Richard uttered his defiance. "I'll be 21 before long," said he, "and then we can marry."

"I'll be true to you," sobbed Chessie.

Brother-in-law Nash led her away to catch a train for Lexington. this morning Richard will go to Woodford, Ok., with pa. Friend Calvin went home last night. That's all, except it is said Chessie made a face at her future father-in-law.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

January 12, 1910


Girl's Love for Joke Caused Arrest
-- Reed and Miss Horton Leave
for Salt Lake City.

Harry J. Reed and Marie Horton, arrested Monday afternoon on suspicion of being the eloping Philadelphia heiress, Roberta de Janon, and Ferdinand Cohen, her waiter-sweetheart, were released from police headquarters yesterday afternoon.

The couple ordered their trunks and other baggage, which had been stored in the office of Captain Walter Whitsett, taken to the Union depot and checked to Salt Lake City. They left by an afternoon train.

Although from the time of his arrest to that of his release Reed absolutely refused to make any sort of a statement, either to Pinkertons or the police, Marie Horton was more communicative.

"It was really my own fault that we got into this trouble," she stated. "I knew that because I have a slight foreign accent, and I am dark-haired and young looking, people thought we were the eloping couple. Everywhere we excited curiosity. At first I thought it was a good joke, and used to call Mr. Reed Ferdinand, and ask him if he did not think it a shame to run away with a 17-year-old girl. I don't think it is a joke now. I was mighty glad to read in the papers this morning and find that things were straightened out. Our experiences in Kansas City have not been very pleasant, and we are going away to escape the notoriety. Where? Well, just say further West."

Answers received from the police departments of Seattle, Detroit and Chicago in regard to the antecedents of the couple were declared satisfactory by Frank F. Snow, chief of police. Chief Henry Ward of Seattle, Wash., stated that Reed had been for several years connected with a gambling establishment there, but that his record was first-class.

Labels: , ,

January 11, 1910



Arrested as They Disem-
barked From Train From
Excelsior Springs.
Marie  Horton, Suspected of Being Henrietta Von Etten.
Reed's Companion and for a While Believed to Be Roberta De Janon.

While the Kansas City police were arresting a man and a woman suspected of being Ferdinand Cohen and Roberta De Janon, respectively waiter and heiress, ho eloped from Philadelphia more than one week ago, the real Cohen and De Janon were being taken into custody in Chicago.

The Kansas City suspects were arrested by plain clothes officers from Central station as they alighted from a train from Excelsior Springs at the Union depot yesterday afternoon. Information leading to the arrest was given to Captain Walter Whitsett of the Central police district by R. E. Mackey of the Pickwick apartments at Excelsior Springs by long distance telephone. Patrtolmen John Torpey and T. H. Gillespie were awaiting them at the depot.

They were taken to police headquarters and examined by Captain Walter Whitsett. The man gave his name as H. J. Reed, and address as Chicago. He said he had been for some time in the gas fixture business with offices in the Holland building in that city. On his person was found $1,200 in currency, and letters addressed to H. J. Reed and H. J. Ross. He said he was not married to the woman in whose company he was arrested. He said he had known her for eight years. He refused to make any other statement.

H. J. Reed, of Chicago or Salt Lake City.
Arrested Under Suspicion That He Might Be Ferdinand Cohen.

Men from the Pinkerton detective agency who have been working on the De Janon elopement case declare that Reed resembles the missing waiter, Ferdinand Cohen, in almost every respect, and asked that he be held until information could be secured from their Philadelphia office.


Reed's companion, although visibly worried over the fact that she was detained, was willing to talk. She said she was Marie Horton of Detroit, Mick., but after cross-questioning declared taht her real name is Henriette von Etten. According to her story she was born in Vienna, Austria, and was married in that country to a man who was at one time connected with the foreign embassy at Washington, D. C. She left her husband and went to the Pacific coast eight years ago, where she met Reed, who, she stated, was at that time conducting a place in Seattle, Wash. She says Reed is suing his Seattle wife for divorce. In March, 1909, she went to Detroit, where she conducted a rooming house. She came to Kansas City two weeks ago and met Reed. They lived in a hotel on Baltimore avenue until they went to Excelsior Springs. They intended going on to Salt Lake City.

Two big trunks, a dress suit case, a valise and a handbag were brought from the baggage room at the Union depot by the police officers. The contents were emptied and examined, but no further indenifying evidence was obtained.

Pinkerton men and the police were soon convinced the woman is not Roberta De Janon. The eloping girl is only 17 years old, while the woman at present in custody appears to be 25. Marie Horton has several false teeth, while Miss De Janon has none.


The man and woman had spent Thursday night at the Elms hotel. They registered as H. J. Reed and wife of Chicago, and rented rooms Friday in the Pickwick apartments, saying they would remain a month. They kept close to their room during their stay. Considerable wine was delivered to the rooms. The woman was in Kansas City Saturday.

They gave no reason for leaving here hurriedly. When asked by another guests of the apartments to show credentials as to who he was the man exhibted papers from Salt Lake City and Tacoma, Wash., but had nothing to show he was from Chicago.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

January 10, 1910


National Organization to Be
Formed During Present

To make good folks out of bad ones is the object of a convention of men and women representing eight states, which began in Kansas City yesterday and will continue until Wednesday.

The meeting is that of the Society of the Friendless, which has for its purpose the uplifting of men, women and children within prison walls and their conversion tion good citizens when they are released. The society was started ten years ago in Kansas and Missouri, but at the present convention a national organization will be perfected.

The opening meeting of the convention was held yesterday in the Institutional church, Admiral boulevard and Holmes street, and the feature was an address by Fred M. Jackson, attorney general of Kansas, who declared that in enforcing prohibition of the liquor traffic Kansas is doing more than probably any other state in the prevention of crime. Other speakers of the afternoon were Henry M. Beardsley of Kansas City and Dr. A. J. Steelman of Seattle, superintendent of the Washington branch of the society.

J. K. Codding, warden of the Kansas state prison at Lansing, was to have spoken, but was unable to attend the meeting yesterday because of injuries received several days ago. He expects to be present at the session today.

Mr. Jackson was assigned the topic of law enforcement as a preventive of crime. He said, in part:

"In Kansas it is figured that one-fifth of the men in prison are there by accident or thorugh the miscarriage of justice, another fifth is a criminal class andd the remaining 60 per cent are men who may either be saved or become criminals.

"We proceed in Kansas the best way to save this 60 per cent, and that is to enforce the law against the organized liquor traffic. The greter per cent of men in prison go there because of the liquor traffic and the state claims the right to oust any business which contributes so largely to the public expense and to public detriment.

"Some people ask why w do not have a local option law or some other measure than prohibition. When you grant licenses in one part of the state, you bot those who do not want liquor as an element of government. When we have prohibition it should be enforced. The state demands it and I do not claim the least bit of credit for my part in enforcing it. An officer who merely does his duty doens't deserve any credit.

"There result where the law ha been enforced is that society and the man have been repaid. Business men realize the poverty which liquor causes and are against it. What is a saloonkeeper? He is a man who wants to share the responsiblilty of government, who helps run the police power, whose consent is necessary to levy taxes and disburse them. By putting him out of the way, more than half hte counties of Kansas have dispensed with their poor houses and in other counties these institutions are but poorly populated.


"We have decreased crime and criminals. Has it paid Kansas? The results speak for themselves."

Dr. Steelman, who talked on the reformatory side of the prison, told of the wonderful progress made in the treatment of prisoners and of modern methods for making them good citizens after their release. The first step in the movement, he said, was saving the services of the prisoners to the state and this was succeeded by the idea of saving the men themselves. Dr. Steelman was formerly warden of the Joliet (Ill.) penitentiary.

Mr. Beardsley devoted his talk to outlining the purposes of the society. He said the work of the society is both preventive and to help the fallen.

"Criminals," said Mr. Beardsley, "ought to be on the credit instead of the debit side of the state's accounts. A small amount invested in reclaiming these men brings big returns to the state."

Mr. Beardsley said the work of the society has been costing about $12,000 a year, but that this year $15,000 will be required.

Warden Codding of Lansing, in a telegram to the society, expressed regret at his inability to be present and conveyed his good wishes.

The Rev. E. A. Fredenhagen of Kansas City, corresponding secretary of the society, presided at the meeting yesterday.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

January 6, 1910



Hides in Union Depot to
Evade Prying Enemies
of His Family.

So that he, at least, might escape the tong war in San Francisco in which an uncle has met death and in which his relatives are all involved, Jeu Bing, a Chinese boy, was spirited from the California city at night and with $500 in gold in his pocket was placed aboard a train for Chicago. His ticket called for a change of trains at Kansas City, and he spent a couple of hours yesterday morning in the Union depot. The boy has letters to several Chinese merchants of Chicago and it will rest with them as to whether he continues East or remains there. A price, it is said, has been placed on Jeu's head by the tong faction said to be responsible for the death of his uncle.

Jeu is 16 years old. He was born in San Francisco's Chiatown and was left motherless when a little child. The boy attended the Presbyterian Sunday school there and acquired the English language rapidly. With his knowledge of the Chinese tongue and his familiarity with the denizens of his section of the city he was frequently called on by the authorities as an interpreter. It was while engaged in some of these cases that he gained the enmity of influential Chinamen who were his father's rivals in business.


After the earthquake, Jeu was constantly in demand. The authorities wanted information on the mysteries of the Chinese section. They thought that they could get it from Jeu. If they did, it is a secret, for Jeu declares that he knew nothing of the underground passages and the hovels and haunts of the criminal Chinese. After the restoration of Chinatown much of the blame for the activity of the authorities was laid to the Bing family.

Then came the tong wars. How his family were interested in these, Jeu could or would not say. It was sufficient that there was bad feeling, he said, and to make matters worse his uncle was one of those who was stabbed in the back one night. His body was found the next day. There was much excitement in the Chinese quarter. There were other assaults and the other members of the Bing family remained indoors. Two weeks ago a friend notified them that Jeu was one of the Chinamen on whose head a price had been put by one of the tongs.

Friendly Chinamen were called in consultation. The authorities, who were told of the threat, suggested that Jeu secure the names of some of the Chinamen suspected and they would be arrested. He was unable to do this, and at a friendly council it was decided to send Jeu away from the city.


This was the hardest part of the programme. It was known that the house was under surveillance, and it was with difficulty that Jeu was spirited out. He was dressed in a woman's walking suit with a heavy veil, and in this costume made his way to the railroad depot, where a detective purchased his ticket. He had a purse containing $500 in gold, the most of which he brought to Kansas City with him.

Arriving here early yesterday morning, Jeu presented a note to Station master Bell. The latter escorted him to Matron Everingham, who made the boy comfortable and kept him out of sight until the time for departure of his train to Chicago. The boy feared that if his presence in the depot became known some Chinamen, enemies of his family, might telegraph to San Francisco and that members of the tong who were sworn to kill him would follow.

Jeu was an entertaining conversationalist and also a good quizzer. He asked hundreds of questions of the "red caps" as to the size of the city, the number of Chinese in the town and also expressed wonder that there was no Chinese quarter and no Chinese servants. He took the names of several who had been kind to him and said that he would send them a little token of his regard when he returned to San Francisco, which he hoped would be soon.

Jeu said that he was a nephew of Lee Bing, the deceased Chinese philanthropist of St. Louis. Over a score of members of the Bing family, he said, came to America about a quarter of a century ago. Many of them are dead, while some live in El Paso, Chicago and New York. The rest all live in San Francisco.

Labels: , , , , ,

January 6, 1910


Mark Kesler, Former Kansas City
Fireman, Passes Through City.

Mark Kelser, formerly of the Kansas City fire department, who trained "Dan" and Joe," the famous team of fire horses which won honors at London in the international exhibit in 1893, was in Kansas City yesterday afternoon, stopping off a few minutes on his way to Excelsior Springs.

Kesler is now with the Oklahoma City fire department, where he is engaged in training eight fire horses. He was here a short time ago, having been sent with three other firemen to make a study of the departments of large cities with a view of strengthening the Oklahoma City department.

Labels: , , , , ,

January 5, 1909



Sight of Jeffries Recalls the
Days When He Was a
Newspaper Man.
George Ade, Visiting Humorist.

Now, girls, take notice. George Ade is looking for a wife.

George -- you all know George -- does not say so in as many plain, everyday words, but he intimates his inclination to move up that way, as the lady said when she jabbed the fat man with her hatpin in the aisle of a Vine street car.

But before you put in your application, don't get the idea that life with the humorist, as his wife, would be a never-ending scream of comedy. Professional humorists are a glum lot, and Ade is not more joyous than a bowl of glue. A professional humorist has to think it all you -- you'd never believe it, reading it over afterwards -- and the thinking process, to a humorist, comes hard. For George Ade, it has put a sprinkle of gray hairs all over his head, tracing what once was black with a presage of an early winter.


Of course, you'll all want to know how he looks. Mr. Ade is a man of undoubted length of legs. He has a considerable breadth of shoulder when his overcoat is on, not much to go wild over when it is off. He has a countenance turned to the cynical cast when he doesn't smile, looking lie a chap that would, or might, at least pinch your arm if you didn't move over. His visage is thin and his nose is long, coming to a little hook at thee ends, like a pod of a kidney bean. When he smiles he looks read.

Mr. Ade was in Kansas City yesterday. He didn't come right out and say that he was in the matrimonial market. He, being a humorist, wouldn't be taken seriously if he did. In answer to the question, "Mr. Ade, why don't you marry?" he said: "Because I haven't found the right one."

So now, as the man with a house to build says, he is open to proposals.

Mr. Ade looks young, younger than he would have looked by this time if he had kept on doing prize fights for the Chicago paper with which he was connected ten years ago, when fame came along one day and put the shining mark upon him. The sight of the Hon. James J. Jeffries in the grill room of the Hotel Baltimore yesterday afternoon brought it all back to him.


"There's a crowd of gaping men around Jeffries down there," said he, "unable to breathe for admiration and awe." It may be excused the humorist if there was a tinge of professional jealousy in the tone. "It makes me think of the time, away back in '92, when I was writing newspaper stories about such fellows. I wasn't the sporting editor. Oh, no, I was just a reporter."

Mr. Ade is resting from the humorist business just now. He isn't even writing a play. Just taking things easy, and kind of hanging around, waiting for the right girl. No photographs exchanged.

When Mr. Ade talks, he talks English. It's only when he writes that he is picturesque. Yesterday afternoon he went to the Orpheum theater and sat through the programme, not even smiling when a big man in a little play took what he meant to be a humorous shot at him. Mr. Ade looks real good when he his dressed up. Tramping through the snow yesterday he wore a long ulster, buttoned to the chin, the high collar almost covering his ears. He carries a bit of a stick with a silver knob, with all the abandon and familiarity of an actor.


Mr. Ade says the great American tragedy will be written about modern conditions. "There's lots of good stuff being written now," said he, "and lots of good stuff being staged. Some of this season's new pieces are exceptionally good."

Mr. Ade registers from Brook, Ind. "I live there in the summer and fall," he said, "and in winter I lock up the place and live in a trunk."

Labels: , ,

January 4, 1910


Utah Party Returning From Christ-
ening of Battleship.

William H. Spry, governor of Utah, and his party, who have been to the christening of the battleship Utah, stopped yesterday at Independence and were guests at the luncheon of S. O. Benion of the Central States' mission of the Mormon church. In the party were Mrs. Spry and daughter, who had the honor of christening the Utah; Mr. and Mrs John C. Sharp, Judge and Mrs. Stewart, Mr. O. Gardner, president of the state senate of Utah, and Mrs. Bonnemort, who is known through the West as the "Sheep Queen."

Governor Spry was at one time president of the Southern States' mission of the Mormon church, the post now being held by S. O. Benion. During the afternoon the party made a call on Joseph Smith of the Reorganized church and were well pleased with their visit with the venerable prophet. The party left for Kansas City to take a fast train to the West.

Labels: , , ,

December 31, 1909


Delegates to Convention Hall In-
dorse Depew Bill.

Three hundred and fifty negro delegates to the convention of the Interstate Literary Association of the West, now in session at Convention hall, last night unanimously indorsed Senator DePew's bill, asking congress to appropriate $250,000 for a semi-centennial American Emancipation exposition to be held in some Southern city in 1913 to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of the freedom of negroes. The proposed exposition also is for the purpose of showing the progress of the race. Professor R. R. Wright, former paymaster of the army, is one behind the movement.

Labels: , , ,

December 29, 1909



Grabs Machine and Holds On,
Though Dragged for
Thirty Feet.

The several hundred people who attended the airship exhibition at Overland park yesterday afternoon and were treated to some genuine thrillers, and although Aviator Charles K. Hamilton succeeded in making only two flights in his Curtiss aeroplane, no one could complain because there was not enough excitement.

In his first attempt to fly Hamilton gave a pretty demonstration of the feasibility of the machine for aerial navigation until he tried to land in front of the grandstand. Just as the supporting wheels reached the ground a strong gust of wind caught the planes and despite the fact that the aviator had all the brakes on the machine fairly skidded across the field at a rate of about twenty miles an hour.


It seemed inevitable that the aeroplane would crash into the grandstand and accomplish its own complete destruction, but Homer Breyfogle, constable of Johnson county, Kas., was standing near by and before he could get out of the way, the machine struck him and knocked him about fifteen feet. Officer George A. Lyons, a member of the motorcycle squad of the Kansas City police force, rushed to the rescue, but when he grabbed the swiftly moving machine he was hurled into the air and dragged to the ground. However, he "stayed with the ship" and was dragged fully twenty feet before the machine came to a standstill.

With the exception of a few bruises about the limbs, Officer Lyons was uninjured, but Constable Breyfogle sustained a painful cut on his neck and severe bruises on the face. Aviator Hamilton wrenched his foot in an effort to stop the airship.


The plane with which Breyfogle collided was so badly damaged that it required an hour to repair it, but at about 5 o'clock Hamilton was again soaring down the field majestically, and for a few seconds it appeared that he was at last to make a record-breaking trip, but after he had t raveled over a mile and was trying to turn for the homeward stretch, the engine suddenly stopped and the machine landed in a snowbank.

"I simply can't conquer that wind," said Hamilton after his last flight. "One can't imagine how strong this wind is until you get a few feet in the air and then it seems to be twice as fierce. It was all I could do just to keep the machine from capsizing just now, because the wind twisted me in every shape in a cyclone fashion. Dangerous business on a day like this, but I always hate to disappoint the crowds, and if there is any flying to be done, I'll do it no matter what kind of weather prevails.

"Aren't there too many trees and hay stacks around here to make aerial travel very safe?" asked a spectator.


"Yes, there isn't hardly enough room on this field, but if the wind would only go down for one day, I'd make some surprising flights. We may get some ideal weather yet. How's that? No, I don't imagine the North Pole district affords any desirable aviation fields. Anyway, we're not going to attempt any emulation of the Dr. Cook stunt. I am heading for sunny California, where I expect to carry off some prizes in the contests to be pulled off next month."

Hamilton will make the usual flights this afternoon at the park, and he promises to avoid any further attempted "assassinations" of police officers.

Labels: , , , , , ,

December 29, 1909


Nebraska Visitor Had Just Pur-
chased Cigars When Stricken.

While handing the clerk a dollar to pay for some cigars he had just purchased, Isaac N. Mothershead, 57 years old, a farmer of Niponee, Neb., died of heart disease in Edward Kendall's grocery store, at Fourteenth and Harrison streets, yesterday morning. Mr. Mothershead and his wife had been spending the Christmas holidays at the home of their daughter, Mrs. O. P. Haslett, 1420 Tracy avenue.

The body was taken to the Stine undertaking rooms in the police ambulance. A widow and five daughters survive him.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

December 27, 1909


Chassino, Master of Shadowgraphy,
Adept With Hands and Feet.

One of the most delightful parlor amusements for winter evenings is the making of shadows or silhouettes upon screens with the aid of a lamp or candle. Men upon the stage have attained fame and fortune by their expertness in casting shadows. Proficiency, however, comes only through long practice and the application of originality and imagination.

Chassino, a Frenchman, who stands in the front rank of shadowgraphers of the world and who closed a week's engagement at the Orpheum theater last night, says that he was obliged to work ten years before he was able to secure contracts in the theaters. An ordinary sheep herder on the hills and in the valleys of France was Chassino when he first saw a shadowgrapher at a church festival. So infatuated was he with the art that he immediately commenced making shadows for his own amusement.

Gradually becoming adept, he appeared at a village social, but it was ten years later when he found his art remunerative. Now he is able to command fancy salaries and has an act always welcomed in the largest vaudeville houses of both Europe and America.

Chassino not only casts shadows of various kinds of animals and human faces with his hands on the canvas, but he is the only artist known who can shadowgraph with his feet. With the aid of his pedal extremities he is able to make shadows representing clearly and plainly various designs of vases and fancy pottery.

Probably the most remarkable feature of his work in this line is the enacting of a whole scene in which three characters are seen in an interesting comedy sketch, which invariably brings rounds of applause. The scene has every appearance of a motion picture and when it is exposed that Chassino does the whole stunt with just his two hands wonderment in in evidence all over the house.

In an interview Chassino said:

"The novice at making shadows always experiences great difficulty in mastering the simplicities of the art. It is hard to learn how much one can do with just one finger when making silhouettes. The beginner should first learn how to cast the likeness of a rabbit and then a wolf, both of which are easier than most any other kind of animals. To learn how to use the feet in this work is impossible for most folks, because one must have specially designed feet, if I may use such an expression. My feet are lithe and easily convertible into most any shape and hence I am able to use them in my profession to a good advantage. In fact, my feet earn me several hundred dollars a week."

Labels: ,

December 22, 1909



Offensive Work Better Than That
of Polish Giant, Who Thinks
He Can Win in Finish
Dr. Benjamin Franklin Roller.Stanislaus Zbyszko, the Polish Giant

BY DR. B. F. ROLLER: "Zbyszko is a powerful wrestler and can beat most of them in a finish match, but I do not believe he can beat Gotch or myself. He has a powerful grip and his legs are like posts. It is almost impossible to get a toe hold on him. Gotch will do it and will win. Zbyszko looks like about the best wrestler among the gang of foreigners who came to this country."

BY ZBYSZKO: "I can beat Roller in a finish match. He gouged the eyes and was unnecessarily rough, but I will beat him in a finish match."

Zbyszko, the Polish Giant wrestler, had about as much a chance to throw Dr. B. F. Roller twice in an hour in their match in Convention hall last night as Stanley Ketchel had to knock out Jack Johnson in the first round of their battle in Frisco. It was an hour handicap affair and had the referee been empowered to give a decision on points at theclose of the bout it would undoubtedly have been in favor of the Seattle physician. Neither won a fall and as Zbyszko failed to throw Roller twice in an hour the doctor won.

Roller and Zbyszko Go Head to Head.

From the very tap of the ringer Roller really had the better of the battle Zbyszko's strength was so great that he could push Roller about on the mat, but he had better holds on the Polish Giant than were put on the physician. Roller was much cleverer in dodging and breaking away from holds and his agressive work was far better than that of the Pole. But once did Zbyszko have a good hold on the ph ysician and Roller broke it with ease. Twice Roller had holds on Zbyszko which looked good for falls and one of them, a reverse half Nelson, all but brought home the money. Zbyszko had a hard fight to break the hold.


While working on the mat Zbyszko was on the aggressive four times and Roller was on the agressive the same number. It was even as far as that was concerned, although Roller's offensive work appeared to be better than the Pole's. Roller tried for the toe hold all of hte time, except in one instance and that time he got a reverse half Nelson which looked good for a fall but the power of the giant from Poland broke it. Zbyszko tried for the toe hold and for arm and head holds, but only once had Roller in a dangerous position with a half Nelson, which was quickly broken. Several times during the bout Roller broke away from the Pole and regained his feet when Zbyszko held him around the waist. It was apparently easy for either man to get up out of the grasp of his opponent. For this reason much of the wrestling was while both were standing.

Rolling the Dough out of Zybszko the Biscuit)

While Zbyszko was considerably heavier than Roller his work did not show it except when the men were tussling about the ring, both on their feet.

After thirteen minutes of work Zbyzsko got Roller to the mat for just a second when Roller broke away and again both were standing. Twenty minutes had been consumed when Roller put the Pole to the mat and got up again. Three minutes more passed and Zbyzsko downed Roller but the physician got up without much exertion. When twenty-six minutes of the hour had passed Roller picked the Pole up by the left leg and dropped him to the canvas. He tried the toe hold time and again but the short, stocky legs of the Pole were too strong. After thirty-seven minutes on the mat Zbyszko got up and got Roller around the waist but the clever physician broke away again.


Forty minutes of wrestling found Zbyszko on top again and he took a half Nelson hold which looked good. The Seattle man gave a strain and not only broke the hold but regained his feet. The Pole got rough but he found a good oponent at that game in the physician, who, according to Zbyszko, amused himself by trying to misplace the Pole's eyes and nose.

After forty-five minutes of wrestling it was apparent that Roller would win the match as he had the advantage. He picked the Polish athlete up by the leg and dropped him to the mat. Zbyszko turned him over and they were soon standing again. When fifty-one minutes had passed Roller went after Zbyszko like a tiger. He threw him to the mat and got a reverse Nelson, which took all of Zbyszko's strength to break. Zbyszko got on top again after a hard tussle and Roller got up. The bout finished with the wrestlers sparring in a rough manner.

In the semi-windup Ed Somers defeated George Weber in straight falls. Both were one legged wrestlers. Dave Porteous refereed.

Labels: , ,

December 18, 1909



Master Lives on the Money Earned
by Pet He Bought for Price of
a Drink Eighteen Years
Ago in Paris.

Pilu is a ragged little black-and-white dog, an Irish terrier, blind in one eye and deaf in one ear. He is eighteen years old. He was purchased from a drunken Englishman in Paris for a drink of whisky. Sig. D. Ancilotti bought him at this low price when Pilu was a clumsy little puppy and little did the purchaser know then that he was making his whole fortune out of his kindly impulse to take a fluffy, whining cur from a drunkard. But he was.

Pilu today earns more money than a dozen laborers working ten hours a day could earn. Pilu is the only mind-reading dog in the world and the large audiences that are frequenting the Orpheum this week are being boggled by the truly marvelous feats performed by the canine. The act is an absolute novelty to vaudeville and is so entertaining that the animal and its master are invariably fatigued ere they finish answering the repeated encores.

Pilu performs his tricks with the aid of a low, horizontal bar on which are hung a series of cards numbered from one to ten. A fence of green cord is strung around the poles and inside this fence, up and down the length of the pole, the dog mind-reader walks stiffly and tells you what you are thinking about.

Pilu is very fat and has a stub of a tail which wiggles as he walks. Now and then he looks at Ancilotti and smiles, slipping out a great length of pink tongue with a knowing leer.


Pilu tells how many babies there are in the family of the police headquarters man and he gives the ages of several persons in the audience.

Last night this wonderful dog attempted a new one when some football fan asked Ancilotti if his pet could remember the final score of the Missouri-Kansas football game.

"Certainly," responded the master. "Pilu, what was the score of the Missouri-Kansas football game?"

Pilu cocked his head over to one side and ran out a length or two of the pink tongue, batted his blind eye and marched twice up and down the length of the pole. Then he put up his fuzzy paw and knocked down the cards thus, 1-2-6. And that, it pleasant to recollect for the Tiger, was the score of that memorable conflict on the local gridior last Thanksgiving.

M. Ancilotti protested that he had not known the score and to show his good faith, went off the stage with a number written by a spsectator and shouted over the scene:

"Allons, Pilu. Allons."

"Allons," in French, spoken to a wooly old mongrel, means, "get on your job." And, Pilu got on the job by knocking down the figures 2, 5 and 8 -- 258, which was the number that had been written by the auditor.

Of course everybody watches Ancilotti closely in the hopes of catching him giving the dog signals, but no one has yet announced a solution of the mystery as to how the animal knows what to do so unerringly.

"My dog never makes a meestake," he shouted toward the close of his act. "To show you, here is a newspaper. Now, Pilu, how many letters are there in the name of this paper?" Pilu promptly knocked down a 2 and a 0, meaning twenty. Once more the mindreading wonder was correct, for Ancilotti held a copy of The Kansas City Journal, in which title there are twenty letters.


When the show was over Pilu trotted down to his dressing room to Mme Ancilotti to be kissed and patted. He was well hugged. He ought to be. For years he has been earning the living of all three of the Ancilottis.

Sig. Ancilotti says that it required ten years of hard, persistent training to teach Pilu the science of mind-reading, but he would not intimate his method of training. He insists that the dog possesses not a dog mind, nor a human mind, but a superhuman mind and that he has no set of signals by which he aids the animal in its tests. The king of Italy shares Ancilotti's opinion as to the superhuman qualities of the dog's mind, for he has presented the shaggy little fellow with a handsome gold watch, believing that he could and should know the time of day.

Pilu will tour America until July and then will be taken to London, where he will make his farewell appearance on the stage. Old age forces an early retirement and Ancilotti already has his eyes cast wistfully on another dog with which he hopes to continue his harvest of gold.

Labels: , , , ,

December 18, 1909


The Millionaire Didn't Get a Chance
to Note City's Growth.

Cornelius Vanderbilt, whose friendship for George J. Gould, together with the latter's need for additional capital in the Missouri Pacific secured for him a place in the directorate of that road, was in Kansas City again for a few minutes yesterday morning, stopping for an inspection of the new Missouri Pacific freight house at Union avenue and Liberty street, while engines were being changed on the special train.

The new Missouri Pacific director, while not at all a talkative man, expressed disappointment at not being able to take a trip over the city and view the growth of it since his last visit here, about eight years ago.

"I am coming back to see your city in the spring," said Mr. Vanderbilt, "and I may invest in your new terminal bonds."

Labels: , , ,

December 17, 1909


Santa Fe Has Sleeper Opened for
Old Couple's Comfort.

So that J. Bottomly, 90 years old, and his wife, 85 years old, would not have to wait about the Union depot, a sleeping car on which they had berths to California, over the Santa Fe railroad, was backed into the train shed and they were assisted to it an hour before the usual time last evening.

The couple are to spend their last days in Southern California. They have lived in Minneapolis, but recently doctors told their relatives that if the old folks desired to prolong their lives they would have to remove to a balmier climate. They arrived from Minneapolis via the Burlington road about 5 p. m. They were assisted into the depot, but the noise and drafts annoyed them.

Their train was not due to depart until 9:25 p. m., but attaches of the Santa Fe railroad thought of the special sleeper which is attached to the train here and had it backed into the train shed around 8 o'clock. The old couple were transferred to it.

Labels: , , , ,

December 16, 1909


Fred Lindsay, Australian Bushman,
Suffers Cut on Right Hand.

Just as his act at the Orpheum was closing last night, Fred Lindsay, the Australian bushman, who does an interesting whip-cracking act, met with an accident which resulted in a long cut on the back of his right hand, the one he used in the act.

The accident was caused by his whip catching on some scenery and being deflected back. Lindsay's hand was immediately treated by a physician who was unable to state whether the accident would interfere with his work or not.

Labels: , ,

December 13, 1909


Tells of Miraculous Escape While
Fighting Boers in Africa.

Few men have led a more exciting career than Fred Lindsay, Australian bushman, Boer war veteran, big game hunter and expert whip, who is at the Orpheum this week.

Mr. Lindsay also has hunted in Africa. Last fall he gave Mr. Roosevelt pointers on big game hunting, and invited to president to hunt on the Lindsay preserves in Africa.

Mr. Lindsay fought with the British against the Boers. In an engagement on the east coast, according to his own story, he came nearest facing death of the many times in his career,

"My regiment had been ordered up from Beira, a Portuguese town," said he. "This is notorioulsy a death hole, and it proved such for both men and horses. After the relief of Mafeking I went to Rustenberg, getting into action among the hills with about 300 men. We were soon completely surrounded by General Delarey with 1,000 men, and, as the Australians were in a bad position, every horse was shot in less than five minutes.

"My sergeant, two corporals and a private were killed next to me. I escaped miraculously. The spur was shot off my boot. Captain Fitzclarence, of Mafeking fame, rescued us as darkness came.

"The next two days resulted in the hemming in of the whole of the small force of 300 men by Delarey at Elands river, with fourteen field guns and two pompoms, the position taken being that of a small exposed kopje, with a little stream running at the foot.

"For twelve days this gallant little band held out against the whole forces of the Boers, who outnumbered us. At the end of that time we were relieved by General Kitchener with 24,000 men.

"Every drop of water had to be fought for every night at dusk, the carta coming back from the stream with water spurting through bullet holes that the boys plugged up with grass and mud till they reached the summit of the hill.

"Every man worked hard with bayonet, knife and even his finger nails to dig a hole in the stony ground deep enough to afford him shelter from the rain of bullets. the animals were tied in lines and it was no unusual thing for a shell to carry off seven or eight of them at a time. Eventually every one of them was killed.

"A little touch of humor relieved the awful tragedies everywhere about us, and that was when several wagons loaded with cases of champagne, canned soups and other luxuries, presented by Lord Rothschild, got into the danger zone.

"Every time the parcel was hit with a shell it was a good excuse for the boys to jump in and divide it among them, so that many a poor chap whose mouth was swollen for lack of a drop of water got many a good pull at a magnum of sparkling French wine."

Labels: , ,

December 13, 1909


Joplin Drummer and Utica Salesman
Akin in Seventeenth Century.

"Mr. Stoddard, I want you to meet Mr. Stoddard," said Clerk George Mong at the Coates house last evening as he introduced Rock Stoddard of Joplin, Mo., to G. L. Stoddard of Utica, N. Y. The latter had just signed the hotel register, and Rock Stoddard was waiting to pay out.

Both Stoddards are traveling men and it developed that back several centuries their forefathers were related closely. In the seventeenth century three brothers crossed the ocean from England. One settled in New York state, the other in Connecticut and the other in Canada. The descendants of the brother who settled in Connecticut and New York fought in the revolutionary war.

G. L. Stoddard, whose home is in Utica, N. Y., said that the brothers who settled in the States finally drifted together in New York state. Several of the descendants have since gone West and South. He is a descendant of the brother who settled in Connecticut. Rock Stoddard, whose home is at Joplin, is a descendant of the brother who went to Canada.

Labels: , , ,

December 11, 1909


Orphan Boy, Traveling Alone, Had
No Other Cares.

"I am Raymond Joy, an orphan, and I am on my way to Reuben Joy, Reserve, Kas. Conductors please look after me."

This inscription was printed on a card pinned to the coat of Raymond Joy, 6 years old, who is on his way to his uncle, where he is to make his home. Raymond has lived with an uncle, Jack Joy, at Houston, Tex., since his parents died five years ago. Recently his uncle in Kansas asked that he be permitted to live with him, and the arrangements for the trip were made.

"Will there be lots of snow in Kansas?" he anxiously inquired of everyone who would stop for a moment and talk with him at the Union depot last night. Half an hour before train time he bought two postal cards. He could not write, so he dictated a note to Miss Mildred Swanson at Houston.

"Dear Mildred," it read, "please write to me often at Reserve, Kas. Lovingly, Raymond."

Labels: , , ,

December 4, 1909


Guardian Refuses to Buy One, So
She Used a Hired Machine.

"Just wait until my 'guardy' gets back to Pawhuska, and I will be willing to make a wager that he allows me the money to get a machine," said Mrs. Blanche Keeler, the pretty Indian widow who, though very wealthy, has been denied an automobile because Eugene Scott, trustee of her estate, thinks that it would be extravagance for her to have it.

"I could not have used one of my own any oftener than I have a hired one since last Saturday, when I arrived here," said Mrs. Keeler, "so I guess if I come up to Kansas City often enough I could do without one of my own.

"I want an auto for my home in Pawhuska, and I am going to have it. Mr. Scott will come around to my way of thinking. I just know that he will, for it won't be a bit extravagant for me to own a machine, and it will be of much benefit to my health. The ponies and horses are all right, but I want action, something faster than horse-flesh."

With three big trunks packed to their capacity with pictures, new clothes, music and books, Mrs. Keeler departed early this morning for her home in Oklahoma.

"I did not get what I wanted, an auto, but I am taking back with me all the pretty things I fancied while here," said Mrs. Keeler at the Hotel Victoria last night.

Labels: , , ,

November 29, 1909


Early Morning Cheer of Visiting
Collegian Scares Thieves Away.

Stripped of his Kansas colors, his voice gone, money gone, Charles Stewart, a rooter for the Jayhawkers last Thursday afternoon, headed himself to his hotel at Eighth and Locust streets. It was 2:30 a. m. Friday, when he entered the lower hallway and he stopped to cogitate. He tried to talk the defeat over with himself and found his voice weak; he felt deep into his pockets and found no consolation.

Thinking it all over, Stewart said to himself, "Well I have just one more yell left in me for Kansas, poor old defeated Kansas, and now that I am safe in the hotel and not liable to be bombarded by the Missouri bunch, I am going to give it right here in the hallway."

Bracing himself against the wall he threw back his head and let go "Rock Chalk, Jay Hawk, K. U. ---Kansas!" Then he repeated it, al a head yeller style, real fast.

Being in an inclosed hallway he was surprised at the racket he made. He liked it for it made him believe he had located his lost voice. So he gave the yell again, louder than ever, and went on to his room and to bed.

"You have come here late many times," said the proprietress, the next morning, when Stewart appeared, "both late and early, and you have made divers and sundry noises on your way to your room, but this is the first time your noise has served a valuable purpose."

"What's the matter, cause some Missouri man to have a fit in his sleep?" asked Stewart.

"No," she replied, "better than that for the house. Mr. Blank and his wife room just off the hall near where you stood. Well, your yelling awoke them. Just as Mr. Blank raised up in bed to locate the noise he saw a man entering his bed room window from the porch. Rather the man was in the act of entering, but when you cut loose the second time he turned about and made frantic efforts to get out. He did get out and there was another burglar on the porch. Mr. Blank says he and his wife sleep soundly and certainly would have been robbed of all valuables in the room if it hadn't been for you waking them and scaring away the thieves.

"That's good," replied Stewart, "glad my voice was worth something. That's all I had left after the game and that was worth anything and I nearly lost that."

"But I think your noise did more," continued the woman. "For some time before you came I had been lying half asleep and imagined I could hear some one moving furniture. You know I have just finished furnishing some rooms in the new part back there. I went back to investigate and found a window out in the bathroom and all the new furniture piled near the door. It appeared to have been the intention to make a clean-up here, but your 'Rock Hawk, Jay Chalk," or whatever it is, came at a most opportune time."

Labels: , , , ,

November 27, 1909


Jacob Billikopf's Address at Muni-
cipal League Meeting Responsible.

At the convention of the Missouri Municipal League here a few days ago Jacob Billikopf delivered an address on the work of the board of pardons and paroles and explained the system under which it operates. The mayor, city attorney and some members of the city council of Hannibal, Mo., who were delegates, became interested and sought Mr. Billikopf after the meeting.

"I explained the whole system to them in detail," said Mr. Billikopf yesterday, "and showed them our records. The took home blanks and cards which we use in our work here. Benjamin Henwood, the city attorney, said that a special ordinance would be drawn on his arrival home and a pardons and paroles system put into operation there. All of them approved of our system, and no doubt will adopt a similar one in Hannibal."

Labels: , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory