Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

November 26, 1909



Defeat Jayhawkers In a
Great Battle 12 to 6.
Missouri Tigers Wallop the Kansas Jayhawks.

Bitterly, even heroically, contesting every inch of the Tigers' invasion the Kansas Jayhawkers went down to defeat before Missouri, by a score of 12 to 6. The biggest crowd that ever witnessed a football game in Kansas City passed through the gates yesterday at Association park. Long before the park opened at 12:30, large lines of rooters were headed for the different entrances and by 1 o'clock the 200 ushers were more than busy. Many persons who were unable to get seats took advantage of the buildings in the vicinity and trees, roofs and telegraph poles were crowded. The yelling was probably the best that was ever given by the rival universities.

Even when the Jayhawkers realized that they were beaten, their spirit was not broken. With the cheer leaders who were placed in the center of the field, 2,000 students echoed their famous war cry when they knew it was of no avail.


By 2 o'clock, a half hour before the game started, the seats were all taken .. It was one mass of color. On the south side the crimson and blue of Kansas flaunted saucily in the light breeze, while the somber yellow and black of Missouri floated in the north bleachers. Across the high board fence in the rear of the Missouri section, the Tiger enthusiasts had stretched a long canvas on which was painted "Missouri Tigers." It was unnecessary work, for any stranger in the city could have told from the yelling that the Missouri rooters were seated in that particular section.

The K. U. contingent was the first to open hostilities in the matter of yelling. The band, twenty-four in number, gayly dressed in crimson and blue suits, marched out on the field, and commenced to play the "Boola, Boola," which brought the Kansas rooters to their feet. For fully five minutes the Kansans had their inning. The cheer leaders with frantic gestures signalled for the famous "Rock Chalk," which echoed across the field for five more minutes.


The Tigers a few minutes later had their chance. Out on the Belt Line tracks on the north side of the park a snorting engine pushed a Pullman and from the entrance twenty-two men in football uniform emerged and stealthily crept toward the park. The springy step told that ten weeks' training had not been for nothing. Before the roots were hardly aware of their presence they had filed into the park through the north entrance. A cheer that could have been heard for a mile greeted the Missouri players. The military band commenced on "Dixie" and for a moment the air was one mass of yellow and black. The cheering only stopped when the team lined up for a signal practice.

The Kansas team arrived on the field at 1:45. They came through the southwest entrance and their red blankets were more than conspicuous as they raced across the gridiron. A cheer that rivaled the Tigers' greeting arose from thousands of Kansas admirers, and lasted fully as long as that given their rivals. Until the game started, promptly at 2:30 o 'clock, the two sections vied with each other in giving the yells of their respective schools. The Missouri band, to demonstrate its ability to play, marched in front of the Kansan stands and played a funeral dirge.

With this great victory goes the championship of the Missouri valley conference for 1909 and the honor of having an undefeated team for the season, the first Missouri ever had. Not only this, but it shows how superior Roper is as a coach over Kennedy, winning with an eleven lighter, no faster, but so thoroughly trained in football that it outclassed the Kansas team, especially in kicking.

This is the first battle the Missouri Tigers have won from Kansas since 1901. It is the first time Missouri has crossed the red and blue goal line since 1902. This is the fourth win for Missouri in the past nineteen years and so great was this victory that all Missouri is celebrating.

On straight football Kansas made 298 yards during the game while Missouri made but 190. On punting Missouri was the victor, making 780 yards in 21 attempts, for an average of over 37 yards to the punt, while Kansas made 465 yards in twelve attempts for an average of over 38 yards to the punt. Punting really won the game for Missouri.


Chancellor Strong's visit to President Hill of Missouri in a neighboring box was watched with interest.

"It's too bad; you will lose," the tall Kansas chief executive greeted President Hill. Both smiled and shook hands.

"Just watch," was President Hill's rejoiner.

Mayor Crittenden occupied a box in the center of the field in front of the Missouri section. When the first score was made a few minutes after the game started the mayor threw his had in the air and yelled like a collegian. Frank Howe, who sat in the same box, was equally as demonstrative.

When the second band of rooters arrived in the city yesterday morning they maintained the same confidence that existed until the kickoff. At Thirteenth and Central streets the Missouri band started a procession which was several blocks long. Up the principal streets of the city the crowd wended its way, giving the Tiger yell. In front of the Coates, the headquarters of the Jayhawkers, the long line stopped and gave a serenade. Even the "Rock Chalk" yell wasn't able to drown out the "Tiger, Tiger, M. S. U."


Though the Tigers were confident that they would win, the demanded odds and were generally successful in getting 2 to 1 money. It is thought that the boarding houses in Lawrence will have to wait for board for many weeks, for most of the K. U. students considered the proposition a joke that Missouri would win.

"Just putting your money out at good interest," was the way one K. U. man characterized it.

The crowd was especially well handled at the game. The twelve entrances provided enough room to admit ticket holders as fast as they applied for admission. After conclusion of the game there were jams at the gates, but no one was injured.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

October 15, 1909



Rev. Caston of Jefferson City Says
Black Boys and Girls Be Edu-
cated and Refers to Macon,
Missouri College.

From all parts of the state are negro Baptists in Independence attending the twentieth annual session of the Baptist state convention which opened yesterday morning and will continue in session through Sunday night. The convention was organized or the moral, intellectual and spiritual uplift of the negro race and is presided over by Rev. J. T. Caston, M. D., of Jefferson city, Mo., a prominent negro preacher in the state.

In calling the convention to order, Dr. Caston said:

"We must lift up our own race. The negro boys and girls must be educated, and it is up to us to do it. There is no man or woman on earth who can inspire the negro like the negro. Our boys and girls are looking up to us and we must not go around with a long face. Let us be men and women.

"Twenty years ago the negro Baptists started out to establish a college in Macon, Mo. It was then that we have put down our money and we have been doing so ever since. You must know what we do. The Western college at Macon stands for itself. We are building up little by little. You need not expect the work to be done in a day or in a night. You must look to the future, look to your own strong black arms, if you would make the race anything or if you would be respected by others."

The convention opened with song and praise service, conducted by Rev. O. P. Goodwin of Shelbina. Deacon W. L. Bennett of Jefferson City was appointed marshal. After services the president appointed a committee on enrollment, consisting of Revs. J. H. Downey, I. H. Robinson, E. S. Redd, Mrs. Bell Wood and Mrs. C. E. Alexander.

The feature of the morning session was the annual sermon preached by the Rev. O. T. Redd, D. D., of Chillicothe, Mo. The work of a gospel minister was laid down in the sermon.

In the afternoon session the Rev. Dr. E. A. Howard, pastor of the First Baptist church, white, was introduced and delivered a strong address. He told the ministers that it was a good thing to live a life of Christ, to be consistent with the teaching of the Bible, to do all in their power to make the race better. He reminded them of what they had before them, what they had to do for themselves. He was glad to see they were striving to make their race better. The address was full of good advice.


Following this Dr. Caston delivered his annual address to the convention, taking up the work of the past year, reviewing the condition of the churches in the state and asking the ministers to unite as never before for the religious and educational training of the whole negro race. He thought that his people should first do for themselves and then appeal for outside help.

The corresponding secretary spoke. The reports of the treasurer and other officials were made. The women showed that they had collected during the session of their convention, which closed Wednesday night, $1,126. Mrs. C. R. McDowell was complimented for her work.

At the night session Rev. John Goins, superintendent of missions, delivered an address. He took up the missionary work of the negro Baptists.

Mayor L. Jones delivered an address of welcome, which was responded to by Dr. S. W. Bacote of Kansas City.

Revs. J. R. Bennett, J. T. Thornley and B. J. Guthrie delivered short addresses and a large collection was lifted for education.

Labels: , , , , , ,

August 16, 1909



Mrs. Ward and Judge PHilips at His
Bedside -- With Family Was
Spending Summer at Bass
Rooks Point, Mass.
The Late Hugh C. Ward, Prominent Kansas City Attorney.

Hugh C. Ward, one of the most prominent attorneys of Kansas City, and a member of a pioneer family of Western Missouri, died from a stroke of apoplexy in New York yesterday morning.

An attack of heat prostration which he suffered in Chicago a month ago was one of the causes which led up to the death of Mr. Ward. He had never fully recovered from this attack, although his condition had improved sufficiently to permit him to continue his journey to New York, accompanied by his wife. With Mr. Ward at his death were Mrs. Ward, Judge John F. Philips and several relatives.


Mr. Ward had taken a cottage for the summer at Bass Rocks Point, near Gloucester, Mass., and he left for that place in June with Mrs. Ward and their four children. Business matters required the presence of Mr. Ward in Kansas City and he came home for a few days in July. He left again for his summer home on July 13, but became ill as a result of becoming overheated in Chicago.

Mrs. Ward was called to his bedside by telegraph, and after a week his physician pronounced him able to travel. Mrs. Ward and her mother, Mrs. J. C. James, started for the East with Mr. Ward, but it was found necessary to make a stop in New York where Mr. Ward was taken to a hospital and given the attention of some of the best specialists of the city.


His improvement was slow, but a telegram from Mrs. Ward to her father, J. C. James, on Tuesday announced that he was much better. A sudden change occurred, however, and at 4 o'clock Saturday afternoon Mr. James received a message that Mr. Ward had grown much worse. Mr. James left at once for New York.

The announcement of the death of Mr. Ward came in a telegram from L. T. James, Mrs. Ward's uncle, who landed in New York yesterday morning from a European trip.

The funeral services and interment will occur in Kansas City, the details for these to be arranged as soon as Mr. James reaches New york.

In addition to his wife and the children, Hugh Campbell, Jr., James Crawford, Francis and John Harris, Mr. Ward is survived by his mother, the widow of Seth E. Ward, and his brother, John E. Ward.


Hugh C. Ward was born March 10, 1864 at Westport. His parents were Seth and Mary Frances Ward. Hugh was reared on the farm and received his elementary education at a private school in Westport and his collegiate education at William Jewell Collete, Liberty, Mo., and at Harvard University. He was graduated with honors from Harvard, a bachelor of arts, in 1886. He then entered the St. Louis Law School and in June, 1888, received his diploma. He then was admitted to the bar in Kansas City.

In recognition of his ability as a lawyer came in 1894 his appointment as receiver for the John J. Mastin & Co., banking business, on dissolution of partnership. The property involved consisted mostly of real estate, and amounted to more than $3,000,000.

Aside from his profession Mr. Ward was known in business circles as a director of the National Bank of Commerce, Commerce Trust Company, Kansas City Railway and Light Company, and of the Kansas City Home Telephone Company.

He was long influential in Democratic circles, and in 1892 was elected to the state legislature where he did much work in connection with constructive measures.

In case preparation Mr. Ward was known as thorough and exhaustive, and in presentation before a judge or jury clear and vigorous in expression, and intensely earnest.

As a politician he was equally successful and well known. In the legislature in 1892 besides being made vice chairman of the judiciary committee, he was appointed chairman of the committtee on conditional amendments.

In 1898 he was appoointed police commissioner by Governor Stephens, who also made Mr. Ward a member of his staff, and placed in his hands the organization of the Missouri National Guard. He resigned as police commissionier and retired from politics in 1902.


Mr. Ward was a member of the Society of Colonial Wars, deriving his eligibility through the lineal descent from Seth Ward, a member of the Virginia House of Burgesses. H e was also a member of the Elks lodge, the Country Club, the Commercial Club, the Harvard Club of the Southwest and the American Bar Association.

Mr. Ward was married October 26, 1898, to Miss Vassie James, a graduate of Vassar college and a daughter of J. Crawford James.

One of Mr. Ward's last acts was to give $25,000 to the Young Women's Christian Association of Kansas City.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

July 13, 1909



As a Practitioner and Author, Dr.
King Was Recognized Among
the Foremost of His
Dr. Willis P. King, Dead at 69.

Dr. Willis P. King, a pioneer physician of Missouri, died yesterday afternoon at 3:15 o'clock at the family home, 3031 Wabash avenue, after a lingering illness of four months. Dr. King had been unconscious for several days. Funeral services will be held at the home at 10 o'clock Wednesday morning, after which the body will be sent to Sedalia for interment. Dr. Burris A. Jenkins of the Linwood Boulevard Christian church will conduct the funeral services at the house. The services at Sedalia will be conducted by the masons. Dr. King was 69 years old.

Willis Percival King was one of the pioneer physicians of Missouri. He began the practice of medicine in Missouri in a frontier county in 1866 after having mastered the profession of medicine and having graduated from the St. Louis Medical college, which course consisted only of lectures. For two years after his graduation Dr. King was what was known in those days as a country doctor, riding circuits at times, like the lawyer and preacher. Concerning this period of his life he has written a book, called, "Stories of a Country Doctor," which is now in its fourth edition. The stories are reminiscences of his own life in that capacity.


After his two years of country practice, Dr. King moved to Nevada, where he remained several years. In the latter '80s he moved again and went to Sedalia, Mo., where he remained until he came to Kansas City, over twenty-five years ago.

Dr. King was born in Missouri, his parents, William and Lucy K. King, having been brought to Missouri in their mothers' arms. The family remained on a farm in Vernon county, and Willis King stayed with his parents until he was 14 years of age.

At that time his thirst for knowledge got the better of him, and since there were no schools anywhere near his home he ran away. In order to pay for his education he worked on farms in the summer time and went to school during the winter. When the Hannibal & St. Joseph railroad bridge was being built he worked at that and made enough money to put him through another year of school. In 1862 he began to study medicine by himself, and from that time on he gave his life to that profession.


When Dr. King moved to Kansas City he was made a surgeon at the Missouri Pacific hospital, and in 1884 he became the assisting chief surgeon at the institution. He served in that capacity for fifteen years, at the end of which time he retired to private practice. About ten years ago Dr. King contracted blood poison from a needle wound received while performing an operation. From that time until his death his health had been so precarious that he could not give much time to active practice.

Dr. King was a lecturer at the Universities of Missouri and Kansas in the medical departments of each institution. He is the author of many treatises on medical science which have won considerable honor for him in the medical fraternity. Four years ago he wrote his last book, "Perjury for Pay," which has had wide circulation.

On June13, 1861, Dr. King married Miss Albina H. Hoss of Pettis county. From that union six children have been born. They are: Robert Emmett King, Willis P. King, Jr., Mrs. Almeda K. Humphrey, Albert H. King, Granville King and Albina King, who is now dead.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

June 3, 1909



Forty-Five Are Graduated From the
Kansas City Law School -- Judge
John F. Philips Delivers
the Annual Address.

As the name of Miss Helen Crawford Rodgers was called last night by the president of the Kansas City Law School, the entire graduating class rose while the young woman received her diploma. It was the occasion of the twelfth annual commencement exercises which were held at the Willis Wood theater. Forty-five graduates received diplomas.

Out of the forty-five graduates, nine received "cum laude" while one was graduated "summa cum laude." Two of the cum laude graduates were graduates of the University of Missouri.

The senior honors follow:

Summa cum laude, Perry W. Seaton; cum laude, Miss Helen Rodgers, W. H. L. Watts, Samuel A. Dew, John B. Gage, Elbridge Broaddus, Jr., Peter J. Neff, Roy W. Crimm, M. L. Driscoll.

Francis M. Black honor, Samule A. Dew; first junior prize, William Jachems; second junior prize, William E. Morton; first freshman prize, Ray E. McGinnis; second freshman prize, W. E. Dreier.


An orchestra played "Southern Beauties," after which the Rt. Rev. Thomas F. Lillis delivered the invocation. Another selection was then given by the orchestra which played "Dreams."

In the annual address to the graduating class John F. Phillip, judge of the federal courts took occasion to explain to the young lawyers some of the trials and tribulations of the court. He advised the embryo attorneys not to abuse a judge because of an unfavorable opinion rendered.

"At times the courage necessarily possessed by the court must be greater than that taken to face the booming roar of cannon, or the dangers braved by the seamen who outride the storm in order to save a stricken ship. He is often abused and slandered, and is forced to bow his head, trusting in the Almighty power, being conscious of doing no wrong and having implicit confidence that the sun will come from behind the clouds.

"Yours is the most intellectual and honorable of all the professions. And while crowned with pleasures and honors, thorns are liable to creep in but you must remember they must be worn with the pleasures."


The court of appeals had been arraigned and maligned because it had sustained the fundamental principle of law giving every man a fair trial, he said. Continuing, Judge Philips said even the supreme court of the state had been abused because it had reversed a case in which the indictment was shown to be faulty through the omission of the word "the." The speaker informed his audience it was necessary that the indictment have the word "the," thus telling in which state the crime was committed.

Competition among lawyers, Judge Philips declared, was only increasing the number of brighter men. The day of the flamboyant lawyer, he said, was past as the attorney with facts and authorities would swamp him before the vocal oratory had a chance to flow. He named the Magna Carta, Declaration of Independence, and the Constitution as the work of lawyers.


The presentation of the diplomas was by Oliver H. Dean, president of the faculty. In a short address to the students the speaker ridiculed the idea of farmers and merchants making the laws of the country, instead of the lawyers, but advised them not to enter politics.

Congressman William P. Borland, formerly dean of the school, returned from Washington to attend the exercises and to present the honors won by the students.

Labels: , , , , ,

February 19, 1909



More Than 2,000 Persons Attend
on Opening Day -- Kansas Univer-
sity Medical Department
Well Represented.

The exhibit of the National Society for the Prevention of Tuberculosis opened in the Scarritt building, Ninth street and Grand avenue, yesterday and will continue for two weeks under the auspices of the Jackson county society. W. L. Cosper, who has charge of the exhibit, said last night that in the matter of first day's attendance, Kansas City had broken all records, over 2,000 people visiting it yesterday afternoon and evening.

While the rooms were opened to the public during the afternoon, the exhibit was opened formally last night by Mayor Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., who made a short address.

The mayor said that before many weeks model play grounds for children would be completed here. That, he said, is a step toward health and happiness. He told the audience that the city had voted $20,000 of bonds for the erection of a tuberculosis sanitarium on the hills east of the city, and the building of bungalows there for the convalescent. He also told of the work of the tenement board, and said said that its members, all busy citizens, should be thanked for giving their time and labor to the city for nothing. The mayor also stated that his hospital and health board was now strictly enforcing the spitting ordinance, which had long been neglected.


"If a policeman yanks you down to the station for spitting on a street car," he said, "don't lose your temper. He is only doing his duty, and you must agree that it is right."

Frank P. Walsh, president of the Jackson county society, presided. In the absence of Dr. W. S. Wheeler, health commissioner, he introduced E. W. Schauffler, who told what tuberculosis is, and how it may be cured if taken in time.

"It is contracted," he said, "generally in inhaling the germ which is blown into your face with the dust of the street, in the workshop or at the room. It is often introduced through food and sometimes by contact. It always produces death of tissue or bone. Three things are essential for its cure -- pure air, sunshine and good food."

The doctor said that "the American people are the greatest spitters in the globe, possibly made so from the tobacco chewing habit."

On account of the breaking of a lense Mr. Cosper was unable last night to give the steropticon lecture. Tonight, however, and every night for the next two weeks, views will be shown and prominent physicians will speak.

The meeting today will be in charge of the tenement commission. Walter C. Root, chairman, will speak on housing conditions in Kansas City, and the inception and spread of tuberculosis. Dr. Oh. H. Duck will speak in the evening. It is expected that Dr. McGee of Topeka, Kas., may be here with his stereopticon lecture on tuberculosis.


That the exhibit alone, without the lectures, has begun to bear fruit, was shown by a little incident yesterday afternoon. Two men emerged from the room talking. One of them cleared his throat and was just in the act of expectorating on the sidewalk when he stopped.

"I guess I'll spit in the gutter after this," he said to his friend, "I've just learned something."

The University of Kansas, Rosedale, has several interesting specimens on view, such as tuberculosis glands, kidneys, hearts, etc. One jar shows a healthy lung, another the organ after being attacked by tuberculosis, and a third jar of a lung which had been affected and later cured of the disease.

A physician from the school explained the exhibit last night. In his pocket he carried a small tube in which he said "are as many tubercle bacilli, the germ which causes tuberculosis, as there are sands in the sea."

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

February 7, 1909


Property Is Located Between Troost,
and Lydia, Fifty-Second and Fifty-
Third Streets -- Will Be

One large real estate sale recorded yesterday was the transfer of twenty-five acres of property at Fifty-second street and Troost avenue. This property was bought by the directors of a Jesuit college for the erection of a university on the site. The consideration named in the deed was $50,000. Rev. M. P. Dowling of the Jesuit school has charge of the plans for the new university. He stated that the college would be non-sectarian and that it would be called Rockhurst college. The campus will be named Rockhurst park. It is not known just when work will be commenced on the building. No plans for the buildings have been formulated as yet, pending the topographical survey of the property. The twenty-five acres lies between Troost and Lydia avenues and Fifty-second and Fifty-third streets. It is accessable to the Marlboro car line.

Labels: , , , , , ,

December 31, 1908


Want Money For Such a Department
at the Lincoln State Nor-
mal School.

The twenty-fourth annual session of the negro branch, Missouri State Teachers' Association, opened at the Lincoln high school, Nineteenth street and Tracy avenue, Tuesday morning. Several important papers were read and discussed that day.

Supplementary to the regular programme of yesterday was a lecture on the prevention of tuberculosis by Dr. W. J. Thompkins of this city. There were three meetings of the association yesterday and there will be only two today, morning and afternoon. This evening there will be a reception tendered the visiting teacakes by the local committee. That will close the session.

The most important work was done at the meeting yesterday afternoon. The matter under discussion was the establishment of an agricultural department in the Lincoln state normal school at Jefferson City. A committee was appointed to draft a petition to the incoming legislature, asking for an appropriation to that end.

"There are about 600 pupils in attendance at the state normal," said R. L. Logan of Columbia, Mo. "About forty to fifty of them are graduated each year, most all of them as teacakes. The field for negro teachers is small, and many of them regard it as a sacrifice, after spending four years at school, to go out into the rural districts and take schools which only pay from $25 to $45 per month.

"You would be surprised to know the number of men in this city, St. Louis and St. Joseph, all graduates of the state normal, who have gone to waiting tables in the best hotels. Why? Because they can earn more money at that. We feel that with an agricultural department at our state normal many a negro boy who comes there from the farm will be willing to go back there better equipped, as he will have learned practical farming. As it is, if they can't get schools, they drift to the cities and have to take what is offered to them. There are so few chances offered to the negro that we feel that the state ought to do this much to aid those who can and will profit by it. We know that the branch of the work, agriculture, will be taken up by many as soon as it is opened to them."

Labels: , , , , ,

September 27, 1908


Students at Lawrence Parade After
First Football Game.

LAWRENCE, KAS., Sept. 26. -- (Special.) Headed by the K. U. band, 200 K. U. students participated in their annual shirt-tail parade in a drenching rain through Lawrence streets tonight. The students celebrate their first football victory every year with this sort of a parade.

Labels: , ,

September 17, 1908


Boys and Girls Throng Union Depot
on Their Way to School.

If there is one time of the year which is thoroughly enjoyed by the "redcaps" at the Union depot it is the beginning of fall when students start collegeward. Last night the old station and the trainshed were thronged with young men and women, and there were many amusing sights.

The rah-rah boy took his parting form home ties and home friends with a smile and thoughts of the greetings he was was to get from the "fellows" back at school. All through the station could be heard the call of some fraternity man as he whistled a mysterious bar or so, and the joyful answer might come from two or three places in the trainshed.

Not so the girl. Her eyes were bright, but there was a definite trace of tears therein. She stood long upon the car steps, even until the train had passed from the shed, waving her farewell. Not infrequent were the demonstrations of affection which the youths had hoped would pass off for brother and sister love, but the wise "redcaps" had seen too much of that kind of affection and could not be fooled.

"Talk about your spooning parlors," remarked Lee Mitchell, depot master, "what is the use of starting them in churches? Let the lovelorn ones come down here. It's lots safer and less embarrassing, especially at night."

A few minutes after Mr. Mitchell had voiced his opinion, the lights in the tarnished wen tout and all was dark except the shafts of light made from the engine headlights.

"Now, what did I tell you?" he laughed.

Labels: , , , ,

July 6, 1908


John E. Stroud's Father Says He Had
Studied Too Hard.

John E. Stroud, the Kansas University Student who was taken in charge by the police last Thrusday afternoon and detained at police headquarters, after calling on Mayor Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., while mentally unsound, was taken home last night by his father, R. J. Stroud of Howard, Kas. Young Stroud, who had grown worse since his incarceration in a cell in the matron's room, was removed to the general hospital early Saturday morning. They physicians at the hospital strapped Stroud to a cot so he could not injure himself. When his father visited him at the hospital the young college student appeared to become quiet, and when they left for their Kansas home the demented man was very meek in his actions. Mr. Stroud said that his son had studied too hard while at the university and was not well when the college closed.

Labels: , , , , ,

July 3, 1908





J. E. Stroud of Howard, Kas., De-
clares Mr. Crittenden Is the Only
Person, Except a Hypnotist,
Who Can Relieve Him.

"I want to see the mayor and see him at once."

"He's busy now. Won't you have a seat?"

"No I won't. I said I wanted to see the mayor right now, and I meant it. I am under the spell of a hypnotist and may jump in front of a street car at any moment. I want the mayor to break this spell. I have come all the way here to have him do it."

The foregoing dialogue took place yesterday afternoon in the office of Mayor Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr. between a tall, slender man with constantly shifting eyes and the mayor's secretary.

The mayor himself over heard the conversation and took a look at the man who was laboring under hypnotic influence. Something about him made his honor nervous. With visions of bombs, infernal machines and other anarchistic toys, the mayor closed his door and hurried to the telephone.

"Hello, police headquarters?" he asked. "Let me talk to the captain. Is that you, Captain Whitsett? Well, I wish you would send up here to my office and take a man out that is acting queer. This is the mayor."

Captain Whitsett went up himself. When he got there the mayor was leaning over the railing of his office and talking "real nice" to the man. He was taken in charge and locked up in the matron's room.


To Dr. Paul Lux, who examined him later, the man gave the name of J. E. Stroud of Howard, Kas. He looks to be 30 years old but said that he graduated with a class of about 270 at the Kansas State university on June 10. He said he had taught school at Galva and Jamestown, Kas.

"I came all the way here June 15 to see the mayor about removing a hypnotic influence which has been over me since March 28, last."

Stroud said he did not know the name of the man who had cast the spell on him, but believed it was a New York traveling man with whom he talked at dinner in a Howard, Kas., hotel, March 28.

"Did you know that the man was a hypnotist?" asked Dr. Lux. "When did you first realize that he had hypnotized you?"

"I didn't know it at first, of course," replied Stroud, "or I would have left him. He held my conversation about fifteen minutes longer than I intended and I felt that I could not get away from him. His eyes were funny, but I suspected nothing until a few days later when I found myself acting solely by suggestions that came to me and doing things I had not done before."

Just at this point, Stroud, who was sitting on the edge of a bed, reached out with his right hand and smoothed out the top spread. Jerking his hand away quickly he said: "There, do you see that? Did you notice what I did then?"


The doctor had not noticed. Stroud seemed surprised that he had overlooked such an unusual thing as a man smoothing out a bedspread.

"Didn't you see me straighten out that cover? Well, that man caused me to do that. I am not in the habit of smoothing out bedspreads. I wish the mayor had taken this spell off. I believe he is the only one here to do it. In fact I came here just to have him do it."

At another time Stroud scraped a splinter from the floor with the toe of his right shoe. That, too, was caused by the same hypnotic influence. He said that when he arrived here he thought of hunting up another hypnotist and having him try his art at removing a spell cast by another of his profession. The idea always came back to him that Mayor Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., was the only man in the wide world to remove such influences. "And he actually wouldn't do it," Stroud said sadly; "what do you think of that?"

Stroud said that at times he was able to do exactly the opposite of the hypnotist's suggestions, but that it was a mental strain. Stroud is now being held and relatives at Howard, Kas., will be notified.

Stroud said that if he knew where he could find the hypnotist he would wire him to get busy and look the other way for a while.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

February 15, 1908



No Motive for the Attempt on Life
of the Elder Miller Girl
Has Yet Been Dis-

Strychnine was the bitter-tasting foreign substance noticed by the Miller children who survived sampling the box of bonbons mailed to Ella Miller, 14 years old, of 634 Cheyenne avenue, Armourdale, Wednesday. Four year old Ruth Miller, after eating one of the candies, fell dead in the throes of a paralyzing agony. The lives of the other children were saved because of the unsavory taste of the sweets.

The candy was sent to the chemical laboratory of the Kansas state university at Lawrence. Yesterday the analysis had progressed at the university to such period as to make certain the identity of the poison employed. It was strychnine. How much of the drug each piece of candy contained has not been determined, but one-twelfth grain of strychnine crystals, the form employed, is sufficient to cause death.

But who committed the deed, and why?

This question was asked and left unanswered a great number of times in the office of the Kansas City, Kas., chief of police yesterday. Detectives Quinn, McKnight, Walsh and Wilson reported finding nothing, after a diligent inquiry into the private life of the Miller family for a possible reason why the little girl, to who the package was addressed, should be out of the way. Apparently she has always been a dutiful daughter, living in peace and harmony with her step-father and well loved by he playmates and friends at the packing house where she worked.

The theory at first held by the officers that some jealous small boy, a sweetheart of the girl, perhaps, had prepared the package and mailed it to her, was explored when the only two boys with whom the little girl has gone anywhere were brought in by the drag net and proved to be the neighbor boys selected by Mrs. Miller once or twice to walk with Ella to a nickel show in the vicinity.

According to Mille last night about 500 people have called at the home to express sympathy yesterday. Many of them offered financial help in locating the poisoner. Among the visitors were a half-dozen girls who worked in the canning department of the Schwarzschild & Sulzberger plant. They were unanimous in declaring no one in their department had sent the bonbons.

"Why, we all loved little Ella," said Artilla Hack, Miami and Coy streets, Armourdale, one of the visitors. "She was just as good as she could be to all of us, and I know none of the girls had anything against her. If they had someone would have been sure to mention it, since she left there a month ago." Geanette Brymer, Seventh and Coy streets, said practically the same thing.

The other children of the Miller family affected by eating candy from the box sent the oldest daughter are out of danger. D r. Zachary Nason, who lives two blocks from the Miller home, and who atended Ruth Miller while she was dying, says they all showed strong symptoms of strychnine poisoning.

"It must have been this drug that was inserted into the bon-bons," said Dr. Nason, last night. "The theory that it might have been arsenic is, in my opinion, absurd, as arsenic is an acid while strchnine is a salt, and therefore their symptoms should be diameteically opposite. The little girl, when I saw her, was rigid in the arms and across the chest. Occasionally she completely relaxed. Lockjaw preceded death by at least two minutes. All these symptoms are those of strychnine poisoning, and not posible after a dose of arsenic."

Labels: , , , , , , ,

April 12, 1907


Boycott Placed on Baker Debate by
Kansas Students.

As a result of the selection of a negro for the Kansas university debating team, which meets Baker today, only a score of students will accompany the team to Baldwin tomorrow. Woodie Jacobs, a fullblood negro from Rosedale, entered the competitive preliminary debates two months ago, and on account of his experience easily won a place on the team. The other men on the team -- Sanders Vigg, from Alva, O. T., and Clyde Commons, from Fort Scott -- made no protest, and after a few vain attempts to have the preliminaries tried over by some of the members of the debating council who opposed the negro, Jacobs was assured a place on the team. Nothing was heard of the matter until this week, when the debating council tried to arrange an excursion to Baldwin. In former years, 500 or 600 students attended the debates and chartered special trains, but this year only sixteen Kansas University students bought tickets.

The novelty of having a negro on the team is increased all the more by the fact that the question for the debate is the repeal of the fifteenth amendment, involving the taking away of the right of suffrage from the negro. Jacobs, for Kansas university, defends the negro side of the question.

Labels: , , ,

Aprill 12, 1907


And the Grand Avenue Methodist
Church Gets None of His Money.

Through the death of Christian E. Schoellkopf, a wealthy bachelor of Kansas City, the fund of the state university will be enriched $18,954.92. Yesterday John P. Gilday, who was appointed by Public Administrator R. S. Crohn to appraise the property left by Schoellkopf, to determine a just inheritance tax on his estate, reported to the probate court that Schoellkopf's realty holdings amounted to $308,15.11, while his personal property, exclusive of certain United States bonds and other valuable papers, were estimated to be worth $31,035.65.

Mr. Schoellkoopf, at the time of his death, which occurred in a little town in Kansas, where he had gone to look after property interests owned by him, left only two heirs, a brother, Henry Schoellkopf, and a nephew, Henry Schoellkopf, Jr., both residing in Chicago. He had written a will, but according to evidence introduced, he failed to sign it.

The deceased was a warm friend to the Grand Avenue Methodist church during his lifetime, and was one of its liberal financial supporters. It was understood by many of his close bachelor friends that in his will he had planned to bequeath the church something handsome. But it developed that no signed will could be found and the estate was taken in charge by the public administrator, Mr. Crohn, and is to be divided between the two heirs.

Labels: , , , ,

April 5, 1907


Ended His Life in the Street at 5
o'Clock Yesterday Morning.

Sitting on the curbing at the northeast corner of Eleventh and Walnut streets yesterday morning at 5 o'clock, Myer L. Wilson, of 2461 Troost avenue, committed suicide by shooting himself in the head with a revolver. The tragedy occurred at an hour when there were few people on the streets and was witnessed only by Frank Yearout, a dishwasher at a downtown saloon, and by a newsboy.

Wilson left a note which read:
My name is Myer L. Wilson. My home is at 2461 Troost avenue. I have lived long enough. M. L. W.

The suicide was the son of H. I. Wilson, vice president of the Ryley-Wilson Wholesale Grocery Company, and was 25 years of age. He had lived all his life in Kansas City; was educated at the public schools of the city and had been a student at Yale university for one year. He returned from college about three years ago and was given a place as buyer in the Ryley-Wilson concern.

Friends and relatives of the young man are unable to assign any reason for his deed.

"We do not understand it," said an aunt of Myer Wilson at the family home yesterday afternoon. "The boy had no bad habits that we know of or even suspected. We know of no love affairs. Certainly it was not financial troubles, as he was supplied with all the money he needed. He was a very quiet boy, rarely taking any interest in social affairs, and most of his evenings were spent at home. No one ever heard him complain of any trouble that would make him want to take his life. His home life was very pleasant."

"The only illness we know of which might explain the trouble was a chronic stomach affection which gave him trouble from time to time. There is nothing else we can think of which might have caused him to commit suicide."

Labels: , ,

March 31, 1907


Great Humorist May Be Here on
Missouri University Founders' Day.

The Kansas City Missouri University Alumni Association is going after big game for speakers at the banquet to be held here April 19 in commemoration of Founders' day. Mark Twain holds a degree from the university and his former residence in this state makes him at least a Missourian by adoption. It is stated that the prospect of getting the famous humorist in connection with a lecture here are very encouraging.

Labels: ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory