Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

February 11, 1910


Flapjack Thrown by William Jewell
Junior Injures a Senior.

LIBERTY, MO., Feb. 10. -- This afternoon the annual class fight between the juniors and the seniors of William Jewel college culminated in the loss of an eye by Lewis Carr, a senior, the result of a flapjack thrown by a junior. The scrap started last night when the seniors placed their colors on top of the high school building. This morning a fight was waged between the two classes on top of the high school building. In the afternoon the freshmen joined the juniors and the sophomores allield themselves with the seniors. The juniors succeeded in placing their colors on the court house, but the seniors took them down and placed theirs around the statue of Liberty. Then it was that Lewis Carr met with his accident. The juniors would not let him down until the chief of police drove them off. The condition of the young man is serious.

Labels: , , ,

February 10, 1910


Fans Fear Supreme Body in
Baseball Will Make an
Example of Him.

Will the national commission establish a precedent in organized baseball by rendering a decision unfavorable to Johnny Kling, local billiard man and Cub holdout now on the blacklist, who has applied for readmission to the fold? This is a question that is bothering the fans and judging from talk in baseball circles, the one-time Cub star is certain to encounter rough sledding before he lands back in good standing minus the black mark which now bedecks his name in the records of the court ruled over by Garry Herrmann.

The fat that the national commission is without opposition in the world of baseball at the present time makes it appear certain that it will make use of its authority when the time comes to pass upon the Kling case. Up to this year there existed on the Pacific coast the "outlaw" league, which seriously hampered the work of the commission, and a practice of granting concessions to players who had kicked the traces was followed by those in charge of the affairs of organized baseball.

This was exemplified in the case of Hal Chase, who committed a most flagrant offense by jumping from the New York Americans to the California League, only to be restored to good standing a short time after, none the worse for his rash act. This was done with the one hope of eventually wearing down the opposition to the national agreement and finally proved effectual, as last fall the "outlaws" were taken into the fold, leaving the jurisdiction of the great national game under one tribunal, the national commission.


"Since Kling sent in his request to Garry Herrmann for a consideration of his case with the purpose of seeking the good graces of the high tribunal, stories have sprung up regarding the Chase and Mike Kelley incidents in which the commission fought a losing battle. Chase was out on a charge of contract jumping in the middle of the 1908 season, when he left the Highlanders to play with the California outlaw league. Mike Kelley was in the same boat as Kling at the present time, and his restoration was due more to an error of the St. Louis club than anything else. Kelley refused to report to the St. Louis American in 1905, and as a result was kept out of organized baseball for two seasons, returning when the Mound City club failed to place his name on the reserve list through oversight, practically relinquishing claim to him.

In the face of these two verdicts, principally, it has been stated that the commission is hardly liable to turn around and refuse concessions to Kling that were granted to the others. Conditions have changed since then, however, and apparently this has been overlooked, as the national agreement is now absolute and its power, and for this reason the commission will no longer be forced to take a conciliatory attitude towards violators of the rules that govern baseball.


In the event of Kling being turned down in his request for reinstatement, it will be the first case of this nature in which the commission has won out, due to the fact that opposition to organized ball is a thing of the past, and the trio now headed by Garry Herrman are in a position to govern, absolutely without the wayward players having "outlaw" leagues to fall back upon.

The fate of Kling will probably be known February 23. Mystery surrounds the purpose of the gathering, as Herrmann failed to state anything in detail, but it is taken to mean that the application of Kling will be the principal business to come up for disposal.

The date of the meeting is four days before the departure of the Club squad on their spring training trip to New Orleans and in the event of the commission giving out a decision of the case Kling would know his fate in time to prepare to accompany his old teammates, provided the act of the commission is favorable. There is a possibility, however, of the supreme court of baseball acting upon the case and then withholding their final decision until near the opening of the season.

Labels: , , , ,

February 8, 1910



Kansas and Missouri Uni-
versities Offered Use of
Park for Football.

A monster stadium which will seat 30,000 people, and an athletic field large enough for football games, track meets and baseball will be constructed on a ten-acre tract of ground within two blocks of Electric park by the Gordon & Koppel Clothing Company within the next six months. The ground was purchased yesterday for $30,000 and work on the stadium will start immediately.

The land is located between Forty-seventh and Forty-eighth streets and Lydia and Tracy avenue. It is on two car lines and crowds can be handled as well as they are handled at Electric park. The stadium will be of wooden construction, and it will be an up-to-date athletic field, such as has been proposed in the many stadium propositions talked of recently for football games between Kansas and Missouri universities. It will be known as the Gordon & Koppel Athletic field and will be under the management of George C. Lowe, a member of the firm.


This project is the result of the talk of erecting a stadium for university football, although the management has made no proposition to the universities to date and has not been promised the annual Thanksgiving day game. Mr. Lowe will go to Columbia, Mo., today to put the proposition before the athletic management of the university. He will then outline his plans to the Kansas university management. He will offer the field to those institutions for 10 per cent of the gross receipts of the annual game, but says that no matter whether those schools can be interested in it or not his plans will be carried out because football is but one of the many athletic events this stadium will be used for.

This is a private enterprise. For more than two months the backers have been trying to purchase the ground, but did not agree to terms until yesterday, when the transfer was made. The ground belongs to the Davis estate and the sale was made by G. E. Bowling & Co. The stadium will be built on ground 500 by 600 feet, the rest of the tract of ground to be used for other purposes. The inside of the field will be large enough to allow a quarter of a mile track to be built, which will be outside of the baseball diamond, and football gridiron.


There will be bath rooms and lockers for the players. The stadium will be so constructed that there will be five entrances in front of it and as patrons of the park enter they will go up incline walks to the top of the seats, as they do in Convention hall. A walk will be built around the top. A grandstand will be constructed on each side of the athletic field and the ends will be bleachers. A row of boxes will be constructed around the entire field. The field will be laid out so that in case football crowds are more than 30,000 people, about 5,000 can be seated in chairs on track.

This field will be open to the public for use for all athletic evens and the management announced last night that in case a circus or anything of that nature could be put in the inclosure it will be rented for such purposes. Director Barnes of the Y. M. C. A. favors the enterprise for athletic events in which his men take part. City League baseball will be played there and Sunday School Athletic League and ward and high school athletic meets will have the privilege of using this ground.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

January 23, 1910


Billy Ryle, Jr.,'s Father Is an
Expert With Ivories.
Billy Ryle, Senior and Junior, Billiards Experts Both.

Probably the youngest billiard player in the world is Billy Ryle, Jr., son of Billy Ryle, the local room keeper and three-cushion expert. This boy is but 5 years of age and is capable of making a run of five on a big table in the straight rail billiards, supposed to be the greatest feat ever performed by a boy this age.

Billy Ryle, Jr., learned the game of his own accord and in a peculiar way. He was at his father's hall one day and asked to be allowed to play. His father stood him on a chair beside a pool table and moved him around to make different shots. He soon pocketed the fifteen balls and was then allowed to play billiards. He showed remarkable skill for a child and was then given a private cue, small enough for him to handle. With not a great amount of practice he has learned to make a run of five and his father has ordered him a special table. It will be 3 1/2 by 7 feet, modeled after the Phister 5x19 table and will be twenty-four inches high. It will be equipped with a full set of ivory balls.

Before the table is completed this little fellow is playing on the floor at home, using a walking stick for a cue. This boy has seen the greatest experts in the country play billiards and is very enthusiastic over the game. His father believes he will be a champion by the time he is of age. Mr. Ryle will have the boy tutored by experts when he gets older.

Billy Ryle, Sr., is one of the best billiardists in the West and if he had had an opportunity when younger he would probably have been a champion at balk line. He is today one of the best three-cushion and balk line players in Missouri.

Labels: , ,

January 23, 1910


Durable Dane Will Referee Matches
at Century.

Battling Nelson, lightweight champion of the world, will spend the coming week in Kansas City with a friend who is in the company at the Century theater. Nelson was with the show for a time, and he cancelled his theatrical engagements to accept several offers to fight lightweights in different parts of the country.

While resting in Kansas City this week he will referee wrestling bouts at the Century and visit Kansas City friends.

Labels: , ,

January 22, 1910


The Brunswick-Balke Team
Hangs Up Score of 2,209 in
St. Louis Tourney.

ST. LOUIS, Jan 22. -- The Brunswick-Balke five from Kansas City hung up a new Middle West bowling record tonight in the tournament here, when they shot 2,909, breaking last year's record of 2,831, held by the Nichols team, also of Kansas City.

J. Yerkes and W. H. Lockwood of St. Louis made the high mark of the tournament in the two-men events this afternoon with 1,223. The 633 score of Fred Schultheis of St. Louis is in the singles, the opening day, still stands.

Today was largely given over to visiting teams from Omaha, Kansas City, Topeka, St. Joseph, Columbus, Neb., and Doe Run, Mo. These teams also will bowl tomorrow. The fight for the 1912 tournament lies between Kansas City and Omaha. It is believed the latter contingent will land it, as it has the backing of the St. Joseph bowlers.

Results of the first set of five-men teams tonight follows:

Felix & Son, Kansas City, 2,597.
Gordon & Koppel, Kansas City, 2,699.
Brunswick-Balke, Kansas City, 2,909.
Kid Nichols, Kansas City, 2,663.
Muelbach, Kansas City, 2,701.
Grayols-Grand, St. Louis, 2561.
St. Louis H. & R. Co., St. Louis, 2,458.
Keen Kutter, St. Louis, 2,352.

Labels: , , ,

December 31, 1909


Pardon Board Doubtful Which Tends
More to Good Citizenship.

Terence O'Grady, the human ostrich, is free from the workhouse by action of the pardon and parole board yesterday afternoon. He was arrested several weeks ago at the insistence of his wife, who said that his dual role of prize fighter and crockery eater unfitted him for the more domestic one of providing for her and their children. He was fined $500.

Investigation by the board disclosed that O'Grady, if not always a hard working man, possessed a heart as good as his punch and as elastic as his stomach. He said and proved by receipts that he is supporting his widowed mother in Ireland whom he has not seen for more than twenty years. The last money sent to her by Terence was mailed from Kansas City November 4 in the shape of a check for $100. It was one of many such remittances.

"I'll either go back to the prize ring or the kerosene circuit as the human ostrich," said O'Grady to a member of the board who asked him what he would do if paroled. He then added, "It's immaterial to me which I follow. I leave the matter with the board entirely."

Mrs. Kate Pearson stated during the session yesterday that she was afraid O'Grady might swallow a shovel if he were put on the street force. William Volker and Jacob Billikopf could not even guess which of the two occupations named were the best from the standpoint of good citizenship, so the original proposition was remanded back to O'Grady for a decision.

Labels: , , , , , ,

December 22, 1909



Offensive Work Better Than That
of Polish Giant, Who Thinks
He Can Win in Finish
Dr. Benjamin Franklin Roller.Stanislaus Zbyszko, the Polish Giant

BY DR. B. F. ROLLER: "Zbyszko is a powerful wrestler and can beat most of them in a finish match, but I do not believe he can beat Gotch or myself. He has a powerful grip and his legs are like posts. It is almost impossible to get a toe hold on him. Gotch will do it and will win. Zbyszko looks like about the best wrestler among the gang of foreigners who came to this country."

BY ZBYSZKO: "I can beat Roller in a finish match. He gouged the eyes and was unnecessarily rough, but I will beat him in a finish match."

Zbyszko, the Polish Giant wrestler, had about as much a chance to throw Dr. B. F. Roller twice in an hour in their match in Convention hall last night as Stanley Ketchel had to knock out Jack Johnson in the first round of their battle in Frisco. It was an hour handicap affair and had the referee been empowered to give a decision on points at theclose of the bout it would undoubtedly have been in favor of the Seattle physician. Neither won a fall and as Zbyszko failed to throw Roller twice in an hour the doctor won.

Roller and Zbyszko Go Head to Head.

From the very tap of the ringer Roller really had the better of the battle Zbyszko's strength was so great that he could push Roller about on the mat, but he had better holds on the Polish Giant than were put on the physician. Roller was much cleverer in dodging and breaking away from holds and his agressive work was far better than that of the Pole. But once did Zbyszko have a good hold on the ph ysician and Roller broke it with ease. Twice Roller had holds on Zbyszko which looked good for falls and one of them, a reverse half Nelson, all but brought home the money. Zbyszko had a hard fight to break the hold.


While working on the mat Zbyszko was on the aggressive four times and Roller was on the agressive the same number. It was even as far as that was concerned, although Roller's offensive work appeared to be better than the Pole's. Roller tried for the toe hold all of hte time, except in one instance and that time he got a reverse half Nelson which looked good for a fall but the power of the giant from Poland broke it. Zbyszko tried for the toe hold and for arm and head holds, but only once had Roller in a dangerous position with a half Nelson, which was quickly broken. Several times during the bout Roller broke away from the Pole and regained his feet when Zbyszko held him around the waist. It was apparently easy for either man to get up out of the grasp of his opponent. For this reason much of the wrestling was while both were standing.

Rolling the Dough out of Zybszko the Biscuit)

While Zbyszko was considerably heavier than Roller his work did not show it except when the men were tussling about the ring, both on their feet.

After thirteen minutes of work Zbyzsko got Roller to the mat for just a second when Roller broke away and again both were standing. Twenty minutes had been consumed when Roller put the Pole to the mat and got up again. Three minutes more passed and Zbyzsko downed Roller but the physician got up without much exertion. When twenty-six minutes of the hour had passed Roller picked the Pole up by the left leg and dropped him to the canvas. He tried the toe hold time and again but the short, stocky legs of the Pole were too strong. After thirty-seven minutes on the mat Zbyszko got up and got Roller around the waist but the clever physician broke away again.


Forty minutes of wrestling found Zbyszko on top again and he took a half Nelson hold which looked good. The Seattle man gave a strain and not only broke the hold but regained his feet. The Pole got rough but he found a good oponent at that game in the physician, who, according to Zbyszko, amused himself by trying to misplace the Pole's eyes and nose.

After forty-five minutes of wrestling it was apparent that Roller would win the match as he had the advantage. He picked the Polish athlete up by the leg and dropped him to the mat. Zbyszko turned him over and they were soon standing again. When fifty-one minutes had passed Roller went after Zbyszko like a tiger. He threw him to the mat and got a reverse Nelson, which took all of Zbyszko's strength to break. Zbyszko got on top again after a hard tussle and Roller got up. The bout finished with the wrestlers sparring in a rough manner.

In the semi-windup Ed Somers defeated George Weber in straight falls. Both were one legged wrestlers. Dave Porteous refereed.

Labels: , ,

December 18, 1909



Master Lives on the Money Earned
by Pet He Bought for Price of
a Drink Eighteen Years
Ago in Paris.

Pilu is a ragged little black-and-white dog, an Irish terrier, blind in one eye and deaf in one ear. He is eighteen years old. He was purchased from a drunken Englishman in Paris for a drink of whisky. Sig. D. Ancilotti bought him at this low price when Pilu was a clumsy little puppy and little did the purchaser know then that he was making his whole fortune out of his kindly impulse to take a fluffy, whining cur from a drunkard. But he was.

Pilu today earns more money than a dozen laborers working ten hours a day could earn. Pilu is the only mind-reading dog in the world and the large audiences that are frequenting the Orpheum this week are being boggled by the truly marvelous feats performed by the canine. The act is an absolute novelty to vaudeville and is so entertaining that the animal and its master are invariably fatigued ere they finish answering the repeated encores.

Pilu performs his tricks with the aid of a low, horizontal bar on which are hung a series of cards numbered from one to ten. A fence of green cord is strung around the poles and inside this fence, up and down the length of the pole, the dog mind-reader walks stiffly and tells you what you are thinking about.

Pilu is very fat and has a stub of a tail which wiggles as he walks. Now and then he looks at Ancilotti and smiles, slipping out a great length of pink tongue with a knowing leer.


Pilu tells how many babies there are in the family of the police headquarters man and he gives the ages of several persons in the audience.

Last night this wonderful dog attempted a new one when some football fan asked Ancilotti if his pet could remember the final score of the Missouri-Kansas football game.

"Certainly," responded the master. "Pilu, what was the score of the Missouri-Kansas football game?"

Pilu cocked his head over to one side and ran out a length or two of the pink tongue, batted his blind eye and marched twice up and down the length of the pole. Then he put up his fuzzy paw and knocked down the cards thus, 1-2-6. And that, it pleasant to recollect for the Tiger, was the score of that memorable conflict on the local gridior last Thanksgiving.

M. Ancilotti protested that he had not known the score and to show his good faith, went off the stage with a number written by a spsectator and shouted over the scene:

"Allons, Pilu. Allons."

"Allons," in French, spoken to a wooly old mongrel, means, "get on your job." And, Pilu got on the job by knocking down the figures 2, 5 and 8 -- 258, which was the number that had been written by the auditor.

Of course everybody watches Ancilotti closely in the hopes of catching him giving the dog signals, but no one has yet announced a solution of the mystery as to how the animal knows what to do so unerringly.

"My dog never makes a meestake," he shouted toward the close of his act. "To show you, here is a newspaper. Now, Pilu, how many letters are there in the name of this paper?" Pilu promptly knocked down a 2 and a 0, meaning twenty. Once more the mindreading wonder was correct, for Ancilotti held a copy of The Kansas City Journal, in which title there are twenty letters.


When the show was over Pilu trotted down to his dressing room to Mme Ancilotti to be kissed and patted. He was well hugged. He ought to be. For years he has been earning the living of all three of the Ancilottis.

Sig. Ancilotti says that it required ten years of hard, persistent training to teach Pilu the science of mind-reading, but he would not intimate his method of training. He insists that the dog possesses not a dog mind, nor a human mind, but a superhuman mind and that he has no set of signals by which he aids the animal in its tests. The king of Italy shares Ancilotti's opinion as to the superhuman qualities of the dog's mind, for he has presented the shaggy little fellow with a handsome gold watch, believing that he could and should know the time of day.

Pilu will tour America until July and then will be taken to London, where he will make his farewell appearance on the stage. Old age forces an early retirement and Ancilotti already has his eyes cast wistfully on another dog with which he hopes to continue his harvest of gold.

Labels: , , , ,

November 23, 1909

OFFER $15,000 FOR


Want Local Catcher as manager,
But Cub Holdout Says He Would
Demand $10,000 a Year Salary.

PHILADELPHIA, Nov. 26. -- The Philadelphia National League baseball club was sold today to a syndicate of which Horace S. Fogel of this city is the head. The price paid by the new owners is said to have been $350,000. Charles W. Murphy, president of the Chicago club of the National League, represented his organization at the conference in order to see that the provisions of the National League constitution were properly observed. The fact that Mr. Murphy was present caused a rumor to be circulated that he would be financially interested in the new management, but this Murphy denied.

An offer of $15,000 was made to President Murphy for the release of John Kling, providing the national commission will reinstate the famous Chicago catcher. Donlin is also wanted.

Labels: ,

November 26, 1909



Defeat Jayhawkers In a
Great Battle 12 to 6.
Missouri Tigers Wallop the Kansas Jayhawks.

Bitterly, even heroically, contesting every inch of the Tigers' invasion the Kansas Jayhawkers went down to defeat before Missouri, by a score of 12 to 6. The biggest crowd that ever witnessed a football game in Kansas City passed through the gates yesterday at Association park. Long before the park opened at 12:30, large lines of rooters were headed for the different entrances and by 1 o'clock the 200 ushers were more than busy. Many persons who were unable to get seats took advantage of the buildings in the vicinity and trees, roofs and telegraph poles were crowded. The yelling was probably the best that was ever given by the rival universities.

Even when the Jayhawkers realized that they were beaten, their spirit was not broken. With the cheer leaders who were placed in the center of the field, 2,000 students echoed their famous war cry when they knew it was of no avail.


By 2 o'clock, a half hour before the game started, the seats were all taken .. It was one mass of color. On the south side the crimson and blue of Kansas flaunted saucily in the light breeze, while the somber yellow and black of Missouri floated in the north bleachers. Across the high board fence in the rear of the Missouri section, the Tiger enthusiasts had stretched a long canvas on which was painted "Missouri Tigers." It was unnecessary work, for any stranger in the city could have told from the yelling that the Missouri rooters were seated in that particular section.

The K. U. contingent was the first to open hostilities in the matter of yelling. The band, twenty-four in number, gayly dressed in crimson and blue suits, marched out on the field, and commenced to play the "Boola, Boola," which brought the Kansas rooters to their feet. For fully five minutes the Kansans had their inning. The cheer leaders with frantic gestures signalled for the famous "Rock Chalk," which echoed across the field for five more minutes.


The Tigers a few minutes later had their chance. Out on the Belt Line tracks on the north side of the park a snorting engine pushed a Pullman and from the entrance twenty-two men in football uniform emerged and stealthily crept toward the park. The springy step told that ten weeks' training had not been for nothing. Before the roots were hardly aware of their presence they had filed into the park through the north entrance. A cheer that could have been heard for a mile greeted the Missouri players. The military band commenced on "Dixie" and for a moment the air was one mass of yellow and black. The cheering only stopped when the team lined up for a signal practice.

The Kansas team arrived on the field at 1:45. They came through the southwest entrance and their red blankets were more than conspicuous as they raced across the gridiron. A cheer that rivaled the Tigers' greeting arose from thousands of Kansas admirers, and lasted fully as long as that given their rivals. Until the game started, promptly at 2:30 o 'clock, the two sections vied with each other in giving the yells of their respective schools. The Missouri band, to demonstrate its ability to play, marched in front of the Kansan stands and played a funeral dirge.

With this great victory goes the championship of the Missouri valley conference for 1909 and the honor of having an undefeated team for the season, the first Missouri ever had. Not only this, but it shows how superior Roper is as a coach over Kennedy, winning with an eleven lighter, no faster, but so thoroughly trained in football that it outclassed the Kansas team, especially in kicking.

This is the first battle the Missouri Tigers have won from Kansas since 1901. It is the first time Missouri has crossed the red and blue goal line since 1902. This is the fourth win for Missouri in the past nineteen years and so great was this victory that all Missouri is celebrating.

On straight football Kansas made 298 yards during the game while Missouri made but 190. On punting Missouri was the victor, making 780 yards in 21 attempts, for an average of over 37 yards to the punt, while Kansas made 465 yards in twelve attempts for an average of over 38 yards to the punt. Punting really won the game for Missouri.


Chancellor Strong's visit to President Hill of Missouri in a neighboring box was watched with interest.

"It's too bad; you will lose," the tall Kansas chief executive greeted President Hill. Both smiled and shook hands.

"Just watch," was President Hill's rejoiner.

Mayor Crittenden occupied a box in the center of the field in front of the Missouri section. When the first score was made a few minutes after the game started the mayor threw his had in the air and yelled like a collegian. Frank Howe, who sat in the same box, was equally as demonstrative.

When the second band of rooters arrived in the city yesterday morning they maintained the same confidence that existed until the kickoff. At Thirteenth and Central streets the Missouri band started a procession which was several blocks long. Up the principal streets of the city the crowd wended its way, giving the Tiger yell. In front of the Coates, the headquarters of the Jayhawkers, the long line stopped and gave a serenade. Even the "Rock Chalk" yell wasn't able to drown out the "Tiger, Tiger, M. S. U."


Though the Tigers were confident that they would win, the demanded odds and were generally successful in getting 2 to 1 money. It is thought that the boarding houses in Lawrence will have to wait for board for many weeks, for most of the K. U. students considered the proposition a joke that Missouri would win.

"Just putting your money out at good interest," was the way one K. U. man characterized it.

The crowd was especially well handled at the game. The twelve entrances provided enough room to admit ticket holders as fast as they applied for admission. After conclusion of the game there were jams at the gates, but no one was injured.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

November 25, 1909


Special Details of Police Will Pro-
tect Football Crowds.

Extra precautions are being taken by the police department for rounding up the many pickpockets and sneak thieves attracted to Kansas City in the hope of reaping a harvest from today's football crowds. An extra detail of plain clothes men will be on duty at the football grounds besides uniformed officers, and after the game will be detailed to downtown work until late at night.

Labels: , ,

November 19, 1909


Former Bloomer Girl Will Be Buried
in Potter's Field.

Miss Daisy Hoover, for ten years a professional baseball player, died destitute in the city hospital November 11 and was be buried in the potter's field yesterday.

Miss Hoover was for several years second baseman on the Boston Bloomer Girls, but for the past two seasons had been playing in the East with the Star Bloomers, making her home during the winter in Kansas City. Last winter she had charge of one of the concessions in the Hippodrome. She returned to Kansas City about a month ago and three days later was taken sick and wsent to the hospital. She is survived by a sister, Mrs. George Johnson, Navarre, Ohio.

Claud East, manager of the cafe at 307 East Twelfth street, formerly manager of the Boston Bloomer Girls, says that Miss Hoover was one of the best women ball players that ever threw a ball.

Labels: , , , , ,

November 17, 1909



Seattle Physician Puts Up Good
Fight, but Is Outclassed by
the Powerful Iowa
Wrestlers Frank Gotch and Dr. Benjamin Roller.
FRANK GOTCH, The Victor (left), and
DR. B. F. ROLLER, The Vanquished (right).

By Edward Cochrane.

For the second time within a year Frank Gotch of Humboldt, Ia., the world's wrestling champion, defended his title against Dr. B. F. Roller of Seattle in Convention hall last night, winning the match in straight falls. The Seattle athlete put up a much better battle against the champion than he did the last time they met, but Gotch proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is still the greatest wrestler in the universe. The first fall was won by a combination crotch and half-Nelson hold and the second by a toe hold.

From the time the men went on the mat until the final toe hold caused the bones in Roller's foot and ankle to all but snap in two, as his expression showed the torture he was enduring, it was plain to the 10,000 or more spectators that Gotch was the master. Every time he took a hold it made Roller exert every effort he had at his command to break it, and twice he failed to do this, thus losing the bout. Roller had many holds which would have been on less powerful grapplers, but Gotch broke them whenever he tried, and his strength was far too great to be overcome by the cleverness and power of the Seattle physician.

That the crowd, one of the largest that ever assembled to witness a wrestling bout in Convention hall, enjoyed it immensely was shown by the unlimited applause which greeted the athletes as they entered the arena for each fall and the ovation accorded them at the close, probably was the greatest yet given a pair of wrestlers at the close of a bout. As Roller, the game and conquered combatant arose to his feet after Gotch had put a hold on him which even the referee was afraid break his ankle, the 10,000 people stood and applauded him for a full five minutes. He had put up a great battle and had lost to a champion. The crowd was satisfied with his showing.


To Gotch it was the same old story. For years this big farmer from Humboldt and the conqueror of all American and foreign mat artists, has been accorded great ovations by Kansas City audiences. Those 10,000 hands which made a sound deafening to the ears had applauded Gotch many times before. He is their idol and they expect to be able to see him in action many more times.

While Dr. Roller has improved in weight, strength and ability since he met Gotch in a similar match here last winter, so has the mighty champion. While many believed Gotch could not improve over the wonderful form he exhibited a year ago he seems to be even a greater champion. He has more confidence. He had is holds all perfected to a greater degree and his cleverness is decidedly better than a year ago. Roller has improved more than Frank because of the much better battle he gave the champion and he still believes that some time he may possibly win from Gotch, but at the present time his chance is as slim as a triple split hair.

That it was a great bout is shown by the fact that the wrestlers worked hard every minute, and it took Gotch 1 hour 18 minutes and 59 seconds to gain the two falls over the physician from the Northwest.

Gotch Gets Dr. Roller in a Toe Hold.

Time after time during this bout Gotch tried the toe hold, and time after time Roller broke this famous hold when it seemed impossible for him to avoid losing a fall. The second fall was lost by the toe hold and it was a perfect one, pinning Roller to the mat without giving him the slightest chance to get away from it.

Roller tried hard to break this hold and believed he might possibly win the match by doing so, as Gotch was not in the best condition and a little tired at the time. But Roller was also fatigued, and with the might champion bearing down with all his weight on his ankle, the physician was forced to submit.


As Roller lay in Gotch's arms with his head on the mat and his foot and ankle being pressed out of shape in such a manner that he was being severely tortured, his face showed the agony he was in and fans began to move toward the door. This meant a great deal to Roller. As he gradually sank to the mat he saw the last flame of his championship aspirations flicker and again he made a grand effort to break the hold. The flame brightened, flickered again and was gone. Roller had lost. Gotch walked to his corner with that same old smile of a victory and left the arena quickly, while Roller received the congratulations of his friends for putting up such a grand battle and many were his friends.


All Roller had to say was, "I lost and to the greatest wrestler that ever lived. Gotch is unbeatable."

Gotch's remark was, "He gave me a grand battle and is a fine wrestler."

Labels: , ,

November 13, 1909


Mascot of Number 6 Station Killed
While on Duty.

"Major," the mascot of No. 6 fire station in Kansas City, Kas., is dead. He was only a dog, was "Major," a little white bulldog of uncertain pedigree, but he had bee the constant companion and playfellow of the boys at "Six" since the days of his puppyhood, and his tragic death yesterday under the wheels of the fire wagon he loved so well, cast a gloom over the station. "An ordinary dog with perhaps a little more than the ordinary intelligence," you would have said, had you seen him plying about the station. Had you carried your investigation farther eager friends would have imparted to you many wonderful tales of the sagacity and almost human intelligence displayed by the mascot.

The ordinary trick dog seen on the stage would have died of envy could he have witnessed the "stunts" performed by "Major" for the edification of his friends, the firemen. Long hours of patient training had perfected him in every trick known to "dogdom," but it was as a shortstop on the baseball diamond that "Major" gained the greatest laurels.

"The greatest dog shortstop in the world," he has been called on numerous occasions. Hundreds of boys and girls, yes, and grown folks too, have watched "Major" as a ball was batted or thrown from some distant part of the field, only to find a lodging between the jaws of the mascot who judged the ball with the accuracy of a major league star.

Always the first to respond to an alarm of fire, sometimes running by the side of the wagon, at other times riding on the footboard or in the basket, Major was a familiar figure at all the fires in the Armourdale district. About a year ago a can of acid was overturned an d some of it burned the mascot's foot. Since that time he has been unable to run any considerable distance and accordingly has ridden on most of the "runs."

It was while returning from a fire yesterday that in some unaccountable manner he was caught under one of the wheels and his hip crushed. Every attention was paid to him and when it was found that he could not live the fire boys brought chloroform and administered it in the hopes of alleviating his sufferings. Later it was found necessary to shoot him in order to end his misery, and an officer was called from No. 3 police station.

Passersby may wonder at the little mound in the rear of the fire station and smile when told that it is the grave of a dog, but to the fire boys, who knew his love and devotion, it marks the resting place of a friend.

Labels: , , , , ,

November 9, 1909


Packy Gains Ten-Round De-
cision Over Thompson.

The landing of five clean blows to his opponent's one, and outpointing him from the tap of the gong to the final ring, Packy McFarland, the Chicago stockyards wonder, gained a decision over Johnny Thompson, the Sycamore "Cyclone," at the Hippodrome last night, after the fastest and most grueling ten-round fight that has been staged in the West in years. Joe Coffey of Chicago was the referee and his decision was perfect.

Throughout the fight Thompson did a great deal of the agressive work, but his swings went wide of their mark on many occasions, due to the wonderful generalship, ducking the clever boxing of the stockyards boy. McFarland's backing away from Thompson most of the time and his hanging on at times counted against him in the decision, but he was so far ahead at the close of the battle on points that there was not a chance for a draw. Had many of the numerous swings Thompson started ever landed on dangerous places McFarland might have been lying on the mat for the fatal ten, but he dodged all but one or two of the hard punches the "Cyclone" tried to put over. On the other hand Packy landed jabs in rapid succession and pushed over some hard punches that stopped many of the wild rushes of Thompson. Thompson's blocking of blows was at times perfect and he should be given credit for putting up a good fight against his cleverer opponent.


The crowd which attended this bout numbered about 5,000 people and the doors were closed some time before the fight started as the hall was crowded to overflowing and it was impossible to put any more fans in the big hall where they could see the fight. It was the first of the winter smokers to be given by the Empire Athletic Club and was a decided success in every way. The crowd was handled in a skillful manner and there was not a word of complaint from anyone, except the usual few who wish to complain about the decision. It was the unanimous opinion of experts at the ringside that the decision of Joe Coffey, who is recognized as one of the best referees in the West, was correct.

When the fighters entered the ring Thompson wore a smile of confidence and believed he was sure to knock Packy out before the close of the fight. He had never had the gloves on with the Chicago Irishman before and he had evidently underestimated the speed of the winner. McFarland also wore a smile but at times looked a little bit worried as though studying his opponent. For two years these boys have been wrangling through the papers about fighting, each claiming the other was afraid. This bout was to settle this long argument. It has settled it. McFarland won and with the victory goes the biggest share of the local purse, about twenty weeks of theatrical work and the chance to make Battling Nelson fight him for the world's lightweight championship or back down. It is now up to Nelson, as McFarland removed in the bout last night the last obstruction in his pathway to a fight with the champion Dane.


The only blood drawn on McFarland was a cut over his left eye. This was an old wound and was opened up in the seventh round when Thompson landed a hard right in that vicinity. the cut was about an inch long and was sewed up after the battle. Thompson was marked about the head as the result of the numerous punches landed there and his mouth bled a little.

From the tap of the gong opening this battle Thompson began to bore in and he followed McFarland about the ring constantly waiting for an opening to land a knockout punch, which never came. He swung wild in the first round and in every round after that, but many times landed punches with telling effect. But once or twice during the fight did McFarland swing wild. Other times his punches and jabs went right to their mark and several times he rocked the head of his opponent with wicked jabs to the jaw. Thompson landed several wind and stomach punches which were effective, but McFarland blocked cleverly and the "Cyclone" could not land one that would put him out. Thompson's left shoulder, which he kept in Packy's way most oft he time and his clever blocking and ducking also stopped many of the stock yards boy's punches, but Packy so far outclassed his opponent in cleverness that Thompson had a chance to win without a knockout.

At the close of the battle Thompson walked slowly to his corner, and, although tired he did not seem to be in bad shape. McFarland was a little tired but was in shape to continue the fight, and was in just as good fighting trim at the close as his opponent. It was a great battle and the best boy won..

What these boys would do in a twenty-round battle no one can tell, but in ten rounds of such fighting as they put up last night -- and it was a fast battle from start to finish -- there was no question about the winner.

Labels: , ,

October 27, 1909



He and McFarland will Fight Here
November 8 -- Both Continue
Training and Are Confi-
dent of Victory.

The ten-round battle between Packy McFarland and "Cyclone" Johnny Thompson, two of the very best lightweights in America, will not be held in Kansas City next Monday night. It has been postponed for one week because of the injury of Thompson, and will be held here Monday, November 8.

Word of the injury to the "Cyclone" reached Kansas City last night. It is not serious, but said to be of a nature that he will be unable to fight here on the appointed date, but with a week more in which to train and rest, he will be in first class shape for the battle. The injure took place while he was on the road, doing about five miles. The road was rough and Thompson sprained his ankle slightly. It was not so serious, according to the word received here, that he could walk, but it has halted his road work, and the farmer pugilist decided that he did not care to run the risk of losing the battle because of a bad ankle, which might go back on him at any time during the fight, should he decide to keep the engagement next Monday. He notified McFarland at once, and the Empire Athletic Club of this city, both of which agreed to allow the bout to be postponed for one week.

McFarland was willing to have the battle go over a week because he does not want Thompson to make any excuses after the battle if he loses and it will give Packy one more week in which to train.


October 26, 1909



Has No Hope of Being Traded by
Murphy and Will Therefore
Form Fast Semi-Pro

With the close of the Kansas City League, comprised of six clubs and which had a most successful season, comes the announcement from John Kling, the champion catcher of the world in 1908, that he will remain in Kansas City next year and will have a ball park, a team and possibly a league all his own. He will not own the league but he intends to have it run on the same plan as the Chicago semi-pro organization if he is connected with it.

Last season Kling tried to get away from Chicago and play with another National League club. Murphy refused to trade him. It cut the league out of a great ball player and Kling out of a neat salary. But Murphy had the whip end oft he argument, and Kling stayed out of the National League. He made almost as much money right here in the City League as he would have made in Chicago or any other city, but he wanted to play baseball. Now Clarke Griffith of Cincinnati, Charles Ebbets of Brooklyn and several others are trying to make trades for Kling but Murphy is as stubborn as ever, and it looks as though he intends to keep Kling right here in Kansas City for another year or force him to play in Chicago. The latter Kling refused to do, but he is willing to remain in Kansas City if he cannot play in any other major league city but Chicago, and he might play there if traded to the Cominskey crowd. Kling will play in the National League if traded but not with Chicago, and it looks as though Murphy will not allow him to make a change.


Therefore Johnny Kling is planning on staying right here for another year. He practically made arrangements yesterday to secure a ball park of his own for next season. He plans to have a park fully as large as Association park and it will be on one of the main car lines. He wants to get as near the center of the city as possible but may be compelled to go near Electric park. There are several good sites on good car lines which he has been considering and he will select one of them early in the year in order to have the grandstand, fences and bleachers completed before the opening of the playing season.

Kling is of the opinion that a good city league would be a big paying investment in Kansas City and he does not plan to have anything to do with a league run as the one this year was. Kling expects to have his park arranged so that it will accommodate at least 7,000 people, and he believes it will be crowded to overflowing on Sundays with a good ball team, which is undoubtedly true.


There are many ball players of league caliber who would remain in Kansas City during the summer and quit league baseball if assured a good salary in the City League. Many of these players are married and do not want to leave their families half of the year as they are compelled to do traveling with league teams. Kling also has many friends who are playing semi-pro baseball in Chicago and other cities who would be glad of the opportunity to come to Kansas City and play ball here. There will be a lot of league baseball players who will retire next year, not because they will be too slow for the game, but because they are tired of the traveling they are compelled to do through the hot summer months and such men would be glad to earn a salary in a good city league. Kling's idea is to give Kansas City fans the best baseball possible and if this idea is carried this city should have a fast semi-pro league next season, which should meet with success.

Labels: , ,

October 21, 1909



Polish Grappler Knows Many Holds
and Would Make Better Show-
ing Against High Class

Zbyszko, claimed to be champion wrestler of Europe, has made his first appearance in Kansas City and wrestling followers in this city have little more line on his ability now than before he appeared here. In fact they do not think hardly as much of him, purely because the big Polish athlete did not have a chance to extend himself. His opponent was not of the class that will force a champion wrestler to show his worth. Zbyszkko defeated Karl Alberg in Convention hall last night before a good crowd.

The first fall was gained after eleven minutes of tumbling about the ring and the hold was a sort of reverse Nelson. The second fall was gained in five minutes and ten seconds by a scissors and half Nelson. Zbyszko was a little heavier than his opponent, but both weight around the 250 mark. It was announced before the match that the winner would wrestle Gotch for the championship of the world and fans expected to see a fast and hotly contested bout. They were disappointed, however, as Zbyszko completely outclassed his opponent. He knows many holds, and there is hardly a move made by his opponent that does not give him a chance to get a hold good enough to throw the man or enough to give him a chance to work into a better one. He did not try to execute many of these holds. He saw that he had Alberg outclassed from the start and gave the fans a fair exhibition of wrestling before pinning Alberg's shoulders to the mat.

When the men started the bout for the last fall the Frenchman got rough, and Zbyszko, like Gotch, soon informed Alberg by his actions that two could play the same game. They sparred for a few minutes and then Zbyszko tumbled his fat opponent out of the ring a couple of times to acquaint him with the hard boards outside. This did not suit the Frenchman, and he pushed his fist into the Polish athlete's nose, causing it to swell considerably. Zbyszko retaliated, knocking several of Alberg's teeth loose with his throw. The French wrestler found rough tactics suited Zbyszko and there was no more of it during the match.


Frank Jones, a well known local sporting man, caused some excitement last night at the wrestling match when he jumped up at the ringside and stated that he would bet $5,000 Frank Gotch can throw both Zbyszko and Alberg in one hour. This bet was promptly accepted by Jack Hermann, manager of Zbyszko, who stated that he would put up $2,500, or the full amount, immediately after the close of the bout. The men met after the bout but no money was posted. It was stated that they would be asked today to make good the bet, and if they do, the Gotch-Zbyszko bout would be held in this city. Hermann stated last night that he would post his money any time.

Labels: , ,

October 20, 1909


Zbyszko, Built Differently
From American Mat
Artists, is Most
Stanislaus Zbyszko and Karl Alberg, European Wrestlers.

Zbyszko, the Polish wrestler and champion of Europe, and Karl Alberg, French champion, arrived in Kansas City yesterday morning for their bout in Convention hall tonight. Both wrestlers appeared in uniform yesterday for the benefit of their admirers and the Missouri Athletic Club management. They are in excellent condition and a little training was indulged in by Zbyszko, while the Frenchman stated that he had finished his training and would not need any more work before the battle tonight.

This match will give local followers of the mat game a chance to get a line on the ability of the man who expects to defeat Gotch for the world title in the near future. Zbyszko is entirely different from the average foreigner who appears on the mat in this country. He is the most powerful man in all Europe and is built entirely different from Gotch and other top notchers. He is but five feet eight inches tall, and weighs 245 pounds stripped. His arms, legs, neck and chest are larger than any other wrestler in the world. He is built "from the ground up," as wrestlers call it, and it is a difficult matter for any mat artist to take him off his feet. This is why he is a better catch-as-catch-can wrestler than most foreigners and this is the reason also that Gotch will find a hard man to throw when he meets the Polish athlete.

Zbyszko is a gentleman and understands the English language. He is a much finer type of a man than the average foreign grappler. He knows Raicevich well and says that the Italian who showed a "yellow streak" on the mat here not long ago, is not in the championship class and is no good for high class bouts, which corresponds very nicely with the opinion of local followers of the game.

Alberg is one of the best built athletes in France. He is about the same build as Gotch is, is a powerful grappler, although it is not believed that he will be able to throw the Pole. Like Rouel De Rouen, Alberg has the reputation of being a rough wrestler and few Frenchmen have ever given up without a hard battle in the local arena.

The advance sale of seats indicated that there will be a big crowd at the bout tonight. There will be a couple of preliminaries. Dave Porteous will referee.

Labels: , ,

October 18, 1909


Top Notch Lightweights May
Fight Here Nov. 1.

Packy McFarland and "Cyclone" Johnny Thompson will probably be matched for a ten round bout in this city November 1. The Empire Athletic Club has made arrangements to rent the Hippodrome for that night for the purpose of holding a boxing contest and the two fighters mentioned are the ones the club has been trying to bring here for more than a month.

When McFarland and Thompson were last seen in regard to fighting in Kansas City they stated that they must have two weeks in which to train. They were notified last night that the date of November 1 has been made for the match and were asked to sign the articles of agreement. If the fighters are in earnest there will be no trouble in pulling off the bout. McFarland and Thompson have been anxious to fight for the last two years but have never been given the proper inducements. One has always claimed the other was afraid but it looks as though they will have to show themselves now that the Empire Club has the match practically cinched and unless one shows the white feather they will fight here on the date mentioned. McFarland and Thompson have been in light training in Chicago, expecting this match to be made. They will post a forfeit of $500 each, which may go as a side bet. If this bout is staged here it will be the best offering local followers of the roped arena have had in several years. These fighters are in the top notch class.

Matchmaker Cass Welsh went to St. Louis last night and will return to this city Tuesday. It is expected that the match will be definitely settled by that time.

Labels: , ,

October 2, 1909


Pool Players Break About Even in
Last Night's Round.

Johnny Kling and "Cowboy" Weston broke about even in the third round of their play for the world's pool championship at Kling's, 1016 Walnut street, last night, Kling finishing the third night's play with 602 and the champion with 580. Kling made 202 in the evening's play, while Weston scored 191.

Both players appeared to be stale last night and both missed easy shots. Weston complains that he had a weak leg that is causing him much pain and blames this for some of his unsteadiness.

Labels: , ,

October 1, 1909


At End of Second Round Local
Player Leads 400 to 389.

"Cowboy" Weston last night in the second round of his championship pool match with Johnny Kling at Kling's, 1016 Walnut street, cut down the lead the local player secured on him the first round by thirty-six balls and the score now stands: Kling 400, Weston 389.

At the beginning of the second round last night Kling had made 202 balls. Weston had made 155. In the first eight innings, the champion played rings around the local man and scored 97 while Kling was making 19. Kling then settled down to business and managed to get the best of the play thereafter. Throughout the evening Kling excelled, as on the opening night, in long shooting and side cutting. He had much the better eye and execution while Weston showed better judgement.

Play will be resumed in the match at 8 o'clock this evening. The tournament will be of 800 balls for the world's pool championship.

Labels: , , ,

September 30, 1909


Pool Champ Plays Out of Form and
the Local Aspirant Wins 202 to
155 Victory in a Walk.

Johnny Kling had much the best of "Cowboy" Weston, champion pool player of the world, in the first of a series of four matches for the championship title at Kling's pool and billiard hall, 1016 Walnut, last night, winning the match 202 to 155 with apparent east Weston did not seem to be in form and Kling won as he pleased.

In the first frame Kling took the lead and was never headed. From the twelfth to the seventeenth frame he gained such a margin that Weston gave up all hope and the finish was not in doubt.

The play will be resumed this evening at 8 o'clock. The tourney is 800 balls. Wagers are being freely made that Kling will win from the champion. A gallery of more than 100 pool enthusiasts witnessed last night's game.

Labels: , , , ,

September 29, 1909



He Helped Pittsburgh by Holding
Out Because Murphy Cheated
Him Out of Good Deal
in Cincinnati.

Probably the happiest man in the United States over the fact that the Chicago Cubs lost the National League pennant is Johnny Kling, the world's champion catcher, who has been in this city all season tending his billiard business. He refused to join the club last spring because Charles W. Murphy had cheated him out of a chance to manage the Cincinnati team and also own a big billiard hall in Cincinnati, which would have been financed by Gerry Herrmann if Kling had taken hold of the Reds.

After he found that Pittsburgh had cinched the pennant yesterday Kling said:

"Well I am tickled to death. That suits me exactly. At the beginning of the season I was pulling for New York, but I am glad Pittsburgh won it and not Chicago. Murphy did not treat me right when he cut me out of that good billiard business in Cincinnati and a chance to manage the Reds. I would have done anything to have beaten Murphy out of the rag. I quit the team and while they might not have won with me there I am, satisfied that I helped Pittsburgh a little anyway. I am satisfied now to lose my season's salary as long as the Cubs have not broken all records. I can play my pool match with Weston now and win. It is the best news I have heard this year. If Murphy had not treated me as he did I would have been glad to have played with the Cubs."

Kling is confident that he will beat Weston in the pool match for the championship of the world, which starts in his billiard hall tonight. He says he is in better shape than he ever was for a pool match and believes Weston is not in shape to beat him at the present time. The match will be for 800 balls, 200 each night.

Labels: , , ,

September 19, 1909


Preliminaries At Convention
Hall Last Night.

A card of seven events at Convetion hall last night inaugurated a week of bicycle and motor cycle racing in Kansas City, which is to include a six-day race, starting at 2 o'clock tomorrow afternoon. Prominent riders from all parts of the United States and a few from foreign countries are in the race, which promises to be one of the best ever run here.

Last night's preliminaries to the big show were witnessed by more than 2,000 people and some excellent sport was furnished. But one spill marred the programme, that in which the five-mile open amateur race when four riders collided and piled up after five laps had been run. None of the riders was injured and the remainder in the race continued without interruption.

Kansas City boys did not show to advantage except in the amateur event, which was won by Carl Shutte, the well known local rider. Jimmy Hunter, who was "doped" to do things in the professional class, was outclassed in every event in which he was entered and could not do better than third in any.

The track constructed for the races and the one on which the events last night were held is in excellent condition for the fast going and it is expected that some records will be broken in the long grind.

Labels: , , ,

September 12, 1909


Kansas City Women's Athletic
Club's New Home Ready.

The Kansas City Women's Athletic Club expects to be in its new quarters, 1015 Grand avenue, by next Wednesday, and a formal opening has been planned. The rooms will be open all day and in the evening a ball will be given for club members and their friends.

The club formerly occupied quarters at 1024 Walnut street, but on the second floor of the new Mancuitt building, 1015 Grand avenue, it will have what are said to be the finest club rooms west of Chicago. Its magnificent tea room will be a feature in the new quarters.

Labels: , , , ,

September 11, 1909


Vice President Is Interested Spec-
tator and Felt at Home in Los-
ing Town, Being a Wash-
ington Fan.
Vice President Sherman, Watching the Kansas City Blues Lose.

Even in the presence of Vice President James S. Sherman at the local ball farm did not break the hoodoo which has been tagging at the heels of the Blues for more than a month and Minneapolis won the second game of the series by a score of 3 to 2.

Lucky for the Hon. Mr. Sherman, it was a good game and was not won until the last man was out, which kept the vice president and his hosts, D. J. Dean and C. F. Holmes, in their seats until the players started for the club house. Mr. Sherman was a very interested spectator. He was very careful to criticise decisions of Umpire Owens, one of which was very close and the vice president did not agree with his umps. However, after expressing his disapproval of the decision he donned the Sherman smile and enjoyed the rest of the conflict.

The vice president was not at all distraught because the team lost. If fact if it had won he would not have felt at home. He has been accustomed to attending the games in Washington, where the fans all have an idea they are in Boston, Philadelphia or Detroit every time the Senators win a game, which is so seldom that few Washington fans remember when Cantillon's men won the last game at home. therefore, Mr. Sherman was accustomed to the losing habit. "That was a good game," he said upon leaving the park. "That is as good as we ever see at home." No fan took exception to this remark but the Blues have actually won more games than Washington this season.


Mr. Sherman and his friends had a special box and only a few fans who knew the vice president by sight knew he was in the ball park. Mr. Sherman showed by his interest in the game that he is a loyal fan. Not a play was pulled off but what he expressed approval or disapproval of the way it was done. Several good stops and catches caused him to applaud the players making them. Whenever a timely hit was made the vice president smiled and once or twice this smile turned into a frown because the next player struck out.

"Ducky" Swann, local southpaw, and "Long Tom" Hughes, late of the Washington team of the American league, were pitted against each other in a great pitchers' battle. Swann really did better work than Hughes, although the home run put him into a hole he could not get out of. Vice President Sherman recognized Hughes, having seen him play several times this year, and spoke very cordially to the big "spit ball" artist.

Labels: , ,

August 30, 1909


Minneapolic Preacher, in Sermon Be-
fore the Game, Urged Home
Team to Victory.

MINNEAPOLIS, Aug. 29. -- Initiation of religious preludes to Sunday baseball games occurred here today when Rev. G. L. Morrill delivered a short address before the Minneapolis-Kansas City game at Nicollet park. Fully 7,000 persons were in attendance and listened interestedly while Mr. Morrill spoke. He was introduced by Umpire King and quiet reigned throughout the park during the service.

"The West," said Mr. Morrill, "is never content to be behind the East in any progressive movement and will not take a back seat when baseball religious services are considered. For myself, I do not usually attend Sunday games because I go every other day of the week, but there is no reason why others than myself should not enjoy the sport. Live and let live is a pretty good motto and I believe that this crowd is largely made up of men who have but this one weekly chance to see the Minneapolis club fight for the pennant. I believe the only sin of Sunday ball is for the home team to lose, so I say to the Minneapolis boys, 'Go in and climb a notch toward the flag.' ''
Minneapolis won the game.


August 29, 1909


At End of Unequal Struggle, Score
Was 24 to 8.

A V-shaped crowd stood in Swope park yesterday afternoon. Except for occasional handclapping, there was silence. Yet a ball game was in progress. There were no coachers. The batters slugged the ball and ran swiftly about the bases. Not once was there the old familiar "Put 'er here," nor the semi-hysterical "Third base, you chump."

Persons riding in automobiles and in other vehicles stopped to watch the unusual spectacle. The players gesticulated wildly. They made excitedly pantomimic gestures at the umpire on the occasion and snapped their fingers under his nose in a way no regular arbiter would "stand for," but never was a word said between the kicker and the kickee.

It was the deaf mutes' baseball game.

In spite of the absence of "rooting" and the wild applause which greets the usual base hit in the average game, the Kansas City Silents, who were playing the Missouri Selects, slugged mightily. At the end of the fifty inning the Missouri Selects gave up the unequal battle. The score was 24 to 8, even though two deaf mute mascots of the Selects, each 3 years old, "rooted" as loud as their small fingers would allow them.

Labels: , ,

August 25, 1909


Ball Player Who Has Observed Trac-
tion Lines Throughout Land
Picks Kansas City
for Home.
Famous Baseball Player Jake Beckley.

Jake Beckley, the idol of local baseball fans and one of the most popular men in the profession, has bought a home.

"I bought it here," said the great ball player, "because here is where I want to live. I have had no home for so long that I lived under my hat. 'Buses mostly were my homes, and never in the same town more than a week. Now I can see where I want to light, and it is right here in Kansas City. They say there are other places better. I want to say after being in all that everybody else has been in and more than only myself and the natives have been in, Kansas City has them all skinned. I am narrowing down the years till we catch up with St. Louis. It is a great town."

"They say it is not, Jake, and that its street cars are on the bum," said a fan who, one of a party of half a dozen, had been listening to the player talk shop.


"It is not on the bum, and the town is not. Here is where I have fixed to live. I tell you that I have bought a little home here. I have been all over this continent, from the snow up in Canada to where it was hotter than this in Mexico, and right here is where I camp. I do not like to say how big I think Kansas City will be when I get ready to quit it, for I expect to live to be an old man. I am feeling pretty good now, thank you."

Mr. Beckley was then asked how he happened to pick out Kansas City.

"I picked out Kansas City because I have been in the other towns," said Jake. "I was in New York and got lost as soon as I got off Broadway. They have one street there and if you get of of it you are in the residence district. The natives never go on it and the tourist and the grafters never leave it. There is a procession of street cars along it and everybody there thinks they are wonderful. If a man has to stand up, and I never got to sit down, he pats himself on the head and says he is in a big, hustling city. If he has to stand up at home he growls and says the street car system must be on the bum.

"I go out to the ball park in the 'bus. I always watch the street cars. When I see everybody has a seat and nobody is riding on the footrail or the fender, I know we will be playing to the benches that afternoon. When I see them scrapping with the conductor to get on the roof, 'it's a full house for us, I say Jake, my boy,' and sure enough there is good business. I size up a town from the depot and the hotel lobby first, and then from the street cars."

Labels: , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory