Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

September 19, 1909


Preliminaries At Convention
Hall Last Night.

A card of seven events at Convetion hall last night inaugurated a week of bicycle and motor cycle racing in Kansas City, which is to include a six-day race, starting at 2 o'clock tomorrow afternoon. Prominent riders from all parts of the United States and a few from foreign countries are in the race, which promises to be one of the best ever run here.

Last night's preliminaries to the big show were witnessed by more than 2,000 people and some excellent sport was furnished. But one spill marred the programme, that in which the five-mile open amateur race when four riders collided and piled up after five laps had been run. None of the riders was injured and the remainder in the race continued without interruption.

Kansas City boys did not show to advantage except in the amateur event, which was won by Carl Shutte, the well known local rider. Jimmy Hunter, who was "doped" to do things in the professional class, was outclassed in every event in which he was entered and could not do better than third in any.

The track constructed for the races and the one on which the events last night were held is in excellent condition for the fast going and it is expected that some records will be broken in the long grind.

Labels: , , ,

September 1, 1909


Riders in Kansas City on Last Leg
of Their Trip.

Charles W. Neff, a jeweler of St. Joseph, Mo., and C. C. Anderson, an automobile dealer of Creston, Ia., arrived in Kansas City last evening ready for the last leg of a 1,600 mile motorcycle trip which started at St. Joseph and circled around Beaver.

It was dark when the men reached town and they lost no time in getting into barber chairs at the Blossom house. Later in the evening they visited the Union depot and met some friends whom they were expecting from Oklahoma.

"Our ride is the longest on record so far for a motorcycle in this section of the country," said Mr. Neff. "We meant to prove that it could be made and we have succeeded in demonstrating that fact. We made the trip to Beaver from St. Joseph in three days. We went by way of Topeka and Garden City and on our return hit the Santa Fe trail and followed it all the way. We had trouble but once and that was a single tire puncture which occurred to my wheel. We will leave for St. Joseph in the morning."

Labels: , , , , , ,

April 20, 1909


Oral Fogle Driving at High Speed
When Wheel Struck Horse.

A motorcycle ridden by Oral Fogle of 1922 Harrison street, Kansas City, Mo., ran into a horse at Eleventh street and Minnesota avenue, Kansas City, Kas., last evening at 6 o'clock. fogle was seriously injured and was removed to Bethany hospital. The horse, which was being led to water, was so badly crippled that it was necessary to kill it.

Eye witnesses to the accident say that the motorcycle was being driven at a high rate of speed. Patrolman Jake Broadhurst was placed in charge of the cyclist at Bethany hospital pending his recovery, when a warrant will be issued for his arrest. Fogle says he is an employe of the Berger Package Company of Kansas City.

Labels: , , , , ,

September 5, 1908


It Took a Motor to Catch Car Started
in His Absence.

Incorrigible boys played a practical joke on the crew of an Independence avenue street car about 5:30 o'clock yesterday afternoon at the entrance to Forest park which resulted in the discovery of a new and unique duty for motorcycle policemen. The car had reached the end of the line and the conductor left the car to obtain a drink of water. The motorman changed his controller and was standing on the front end of the car waiting a signal from his conductor to go ahead.

Two bells were sounded over the motorman's head and he started ahead on his return trip. Policeman E. L. Martin, a member of the motorcycle squad, was passing the park entrance and noticed four small boys jump off the car and run into the park. Seeing that the car was running without a conductor, Martin on his motor went in pursuit of the car. He chased the street car to Independence avenue and Gladstone boulevard, where he called the motorman's attention to the fact that he was minus his conductor. The conductor arrived on the next townward bound car.

Labels: , , , , ,

August 18, 1908


As a Result, Charles Mantinette Is
Fined $50 in Police Court.

J. F. Threlkel, a member of the motorcyle squad, was working in plain clothes Sunday because his machine, he says, is out of commission. He was detailed to watch for Sunday violators.

At 113 East Third street he saw something which interested him. Men were constantly coming and going -- and the place was not a boarding house, either. Threlkel went in and succeeded in purchasing a couple of cool bottles of beer. Then Charles Mantinette, who sold the beer, was arrested. In police court yesterday he was fined $50.

Labels: , , ,

August 8, 1908



Don't Carry Lights and Speed When
They Wish -- A Knock on
"Sparrow Cop" Speedo-

What about the "tuf-tuf," the latest name for the motorcycle. It has been written on the books that the motorist must not scorch on pain of being hauled before the stern judge ans soaked as many simoleons as the judicial fancy dictates.

But the humble motorcycle is not annoyed, in fact, it goes unharmed. Maybe it is because the sparrow cops themselves are mounted on the bicycles that go with gasoline.

Motorists all over Kansas City are uniting in a protest against speeding motorcycles. "Tuf-tufs" are racing about the boulevards night after night, without the sign of a lamp, a menace to pedestrians, but the "sparrow cops" do not seem to see them. Maye it is a fellow feeling after all.

It might be a good thing if some of these scorchers, the worst offenders against the city's speed laws, were pulled in and fined for the sake of example. At present they rove the streets unrestrained.

By the way, more than one driver says the speed indicators the "cops" carry are all to the bad. These busy little wheels are said to register about five miles an hour more than the actual speed. An agreement has been reached between a number of dealers to plead this as a defense in case of arrest and then proceed to prove it as fact.

Labels: , ,

July 13, 1908


New Patrolmen Haven't Been Able
to Find Any Speed Outlaws.

Automobilists and drivers have been warned the last four days about keeping within the speed limit, and the motorcycle squad has been getting in practice trailing autos and horses that were going too fast. The squad has patrolled the boulevards and Cliff drive, learning the favorite streets and byways taken by the speedy drivers who are willing to risk being arrested for hitting up a fast pace.

Sunday was the day the squad as to get busy and prove the efficiency of the new motorcycles in overhauling the gasoline wagons, but up until 10 o'clock last night no arrests had been made. It was expected that the cycle men would have two or three arrests each to their credit last night. The officers will be given orders today to be strict in enforcing the speed law from now on.

Labels: , , ,

July 9, 1908


All Motor Cars Run on Low Gear
Schedule Over the Boulevards.

All that was needed yesterday to make the most speedy motorist slow down his car was the slight of the white cap. The white cap meant speed regulation on the boulevards, for under that white cap was one of the motor cycle police squad mounted on a brand new 60-mile-an-hour-motor cycle.

The three men who constitute the motor squad were ordered before Police Captain Walter Whitsett yesterday morning and the speed ordinance read to them. They were given their instructions and told to report to headquarters by telephone at the end of every hour. The hours that these cyclists serve during the day remains a profound mystery. The only way to find them is to try scorching on the boulevards every three hours. If you get caught you're it; if you don't you'll know that the cyclist is at the other end of the next boulevard.

Labels: , , , ,

May 17, 1908


Police Commissioner Had Them Join
the Race as a Test.

At the invitation of Elliott H. Jones, police commissioner, four men on motor cycles trailed the automobiles in the endurance race yesterday. All of the cycles made the trip successfully and beat Jones's machine back to Kansas City. The commissioner asked that the cycles be used on the run, because he has been appointed by the police board as a committee to investigate the feasibility of using motor cycles in the police department.

Dr. A. Moses, C. Hanson, C. O. Hahn and L. C. Shellaberger, each mounted on a two wheeled machine, left Armour boulevard and the Paseo in a bunch yesterday morning about fifteen minutes after the last automobile was officially started. The party made the run to Lawrence without mishap. The freshly dragged roads proved slow going south from Lawrence and at Baldwin the leader was misdirected and led the party to Edgerton, which is a few miles off the course. They got back on the track and passed Jones at Waldo.

They reached the city at 8:30 o'clock, with Moses a few yards in the lead. All of the cycles in the endurance test were Indians. Commissioner Jones, when he finally came steaming into the city, congratulated the four on their good run.

Labels: , , , , , ,

April 15, 1908


Angie Harnish Had Sued Motor Cycle
Club for Scaring Horse.

The horse lost again yesterday in a legal battle with motor vehicles. A jury in Justice Young's court decided there was no cause for action in the case of Angie Harnish against the Kansas City Motor Cycle Club, which the plaintiff alleged on November 3 last caused his driving horse to run away, injuring him and endangering the life of his wife and 2-year-old baby.

Just on the outskirts of Greenwood, this county, he testified, eighteen club members, with their motors exhausting loudly, overtook him and ran around, in front of and behind him. To better hold his frantic horse, Harnish attempted to dismount and was thrown. Then the horse ran half a mile with the woman and baby before crashing into a fence. A party of farmers intercepted the Motor Cycle Club on its return run, and, it is said, threats were made which have prevented the club's returning there on any subsequent runs. The affair had the effect of practically disorganizing the club, but the members were jubilant yesterday that a jury conceded them road rights.

"Now I'm sure we'll get our men together again," the club president, R. D. Martin, said yesterday after the decision.

Harnish's suit was for $300 damages. One of Harnish's ankles was dislocated, a knee bruised and a Sunday suit ruined.

Labels: , ,

February 26, 1908



So Farmer Harnish Sues Members of
the Motorcycle Club for Dam-
ages Done Him Last

The Kansas City Motorcycle Club members, nineteen strong, have avoided the road to Greenwood, this county, since November 3. That day eighteen of them were waylaid by a mob of twenty-five farmers armed with stones. Only one escaped. And County Judge George J. Dodd was chief spokesman for the beseiging party.

It all came out yesterday when suit was filed in Justice Young's court by Angie Harnish against the club members for $800 damages.

Harnish, according to the papers filed, was driving in a top buggy with his wife and 2-year-old child to Greenwood, when just at the outskirts of the town the "the defendants in a body known as the Kansas City Motorcycle Club, mounted on motorcycles," bore down on his rear "at high speed," carelessly and negligently running upon and by him, the loud and explosive exhaust noises, frightening until he became unmanagable, the horse, which was "not acquainted with motorcycles."

Harnish attempted to alight to seize the horse's bits, and the lunging of the animal threw him into the rock road. The woman, busy with the lines, dropped the baby between her feet and frantically begged the cyclists to stop for the sake of hersef and the baby. Instead of this it is alleged the cyclists only laughed, and trying to outrun the maddened horses, allowing the whirr of the explosive sounds to continue until the horse and buggy smashed into a fence. The baby and Harnish were seriously bruised, the horse, formerly gentle, was ruined, its owner says, and the harness and buggy broken.

A few hours later, when the cycle club members came back that way, they were helf up with a threat of stoning Only one cyclist had the fear or the nerve to run the gauntlet. The others stopped and took their medicine in the form of threats as to what would happen if they ever came back -- and they haven't been back.

The cyclists say that udge Dodd, though an officer of the law, declared to them that he would take the law into his own hands if they did return. Nineteen of them are named, and the amount asked is $800, half of it for actual damages and half for exemplary damages. The case was set for March 3.

Those named as defendants are: R. D. Martin, president of the club; L. J. Vogel, F. J. Hahn, C. Hanson, J. B. Porter, Ned D. Bahr, O. V. Newby, J. N. Glass, Lloyd C. Shielaberger, Fred Berry, Oscar J. Plummer and Dan Patterson.

Bucknew and Houston are attorneys for the plaintiff, and they furnished the court constable with all the addresses of the defendants.

"I know the eighteen of us should have licked those two dozen farmers if the fight had really got started," said R. D. Martin, president of the club, last night, "but we are always considerate of people we meet, and we told them so then, instead of being ugly."

Labels: , , , , ,

December 9, 1907


Commissioner Jones Picked Out Three
Makes for the Police Squad.

"I know less about motor cycles now than before I went to the Chicago motor car show," Elliot H. Jones said yesterday morning after his return. Mr. Jones, as a member of the board of police commissioners, attended the show to get pointers on motor cycles for use in the police department.

"The exhibit contained so many different kinds of motor cycles as to bewilder me," said Mr. Jones. "I finally chose three makes and as soon as the 1908 models can be gotten by the dealers here we will arrange a practical test. A motor car will be pursued by a motor cyclist, who will endeavor to get near enough to read the numbers on the car and identify the occupants.

Labels: , , , ,

October 24, 1907


Police Board Favors Motor Cycle
Squad of Police.

Commissioner Jones has been delegated by the police board to secure bids on motor cycles with which to equip a squad of police to chase violators of the speed ordinances. The commissioner is a motorist himself, and suggested to the board that the average machine can "run clean away" and leave the sort of motor cycles sold here. He said the board would have to get specially built motor cycles, guaranteed to maintain a high speed.

"It's getting too cold for a policeman to ride a motor cycle," said Commissioner Jones. "I favor a bicycle squad and feel that we must come to it, but I would propose that we postpone it until spring."

C. F. Morse, writing from the stock yards, told the board yesterday that the best streets and boulevards of the city have become like railway rights-of-way. He says that rarely ever does a car go as slow as the maximum of twelve miles an hour. He said in the boulevards cars maintain a minimum of twenty miles, and that most of them travel about forty miles an hour.

"In the south part of town, where the best streets have become speedways," said Mr. Morse, "the blocks are just one eight of a mile long, including one street width. At the maximum speed prescribed it should take a car 37.5 seconds to travel a block. This makes it easy for the police to time those who are daily violating the speed limit and endangering the public."

Labels: , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory