Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

January 17, 1910


George Fox's Death Occurs Just
Week After Wife's Demise.

One week from the day his wife died of the same disease, George A. Fox, a foreman for the Faultless Starch Company, died yesterday morning at his home, 1417 Belleview avenue, of pneumonia. He was 59 years old.

A week ago Sunday Mrs. Eugenia Fox died after a short illness and her husband displayed symptoms of the same disease at the time. She was buried, and at once Mr. Fox's illness became serious. Six children survive. They are George A. Rhode, Hill, Henry H. and Eugenia Fox, and Mrs. J. W. Lane.

Mr. Fox lived in Kansas City twenty-five years in the employ of the Faultless Starch Company. Funeral arrangements have not been made.

Labels: , , ,

January 7, 1910



Police Ordered to Kill All
Stray Dogs in Kansas
City, Kas.
Charles W. Young, Victim of Hydrophobia.

Two deaths within a few weeks, as a result of injuries inflicted by dogs suffering form rabies, has aroused public apprehension in Kansas City, Kas., to such an extent that extra precautions are being taken by the police department to protect the citizens against danger from this source. Orders have been issued by Chief of Police W. W. Cook to kill all stray dogs found in the city and a special officer has been detailed on this work. The general public has been notified to communicate with the police department with reference to any dog running at large.

Charles W. Young, a carpenter living at 436 Everett avenue, was bitten three weeks ago yesterday by a small fox terrier and is now in a critical condition at the Grandview sanitarium, where the attending physician said last night he could not live through the day. Violent convulsions, incident to the last stages of hydrophobia, have convinced the physicians that his condition is the result of the injury inflicted by the fox terrier.

A desire to relieve the suffering of a poorly fed tramp dog prompted him to reach down and pick up a little fox terrier, which promptly repaid this act of kindness by snapping his teeth through the lower lip of his would be benefactor.

The injury was dressed by a physician and Mr. Young continued with his daily work at the Union Pacific railroad shop. On Tuesday of this week he was obliged to quit work because of what he believed to be a severe cold in his throat. Yesterday morning Dr. Albert Huber was summoned and pronounced it a case of hydrophobia. The man rapidly grew worse and last night was removed to the sanitarium.

A small child was bitten several weeks ago by a mad dog in the northern part of Kansas City, Kas., and later died with what the physicians said was hydrophobia.

Labels: , , , ,

January 7, 1910



Spiritualist Seeks to Prevent
Heirs From Depriving
Him of Bequests.

That by giving her absent treatment over the telephone for rheumatism and in other ways, John H. Lee, said to be a spiritualist, won the confidence of wealthy Mrs. Victoria Mostow, 71 years old, and thus influenced her to bequeath him property worth $35,000, was the substance of testimony given yesterday in Judge J. G. Park's division of the circuit court.

The occasion was the trial of a suit by which Lee seeks to have set aside deeds transferring to James P. Richardson, principal of the Prosso school, and nephew of Mrs. Mostow, the property left to Lee by will. The heirs have a suit pending to set aside the will.

The story told by witnesses in substance follows:

Mrs. Mostow was the wife of the late Randolph Mostow, and a sister of the late Dr. De Estaing Dickerson. From the latter she inherited a large amount of property. Mr. Mostow died in the summer of 1908. During his last illness, he summoned Lee and was given treatment. In this way Mrs. Mostow became acquainted with the spiritualist.


After her husband's death, Mrs. Mostow became a believer in spiritualism. Through the medium of spirits and mesmeric powers Lee claimed that he could cure every known ill. Mrs. Mostow put in a telephone at her home, at Thirty-fourth and Wyandotte streets, and when she became troubled with rheumatism, Lee would give her absent treatment over the phone. At this time he lived near 4800 East Eighth street, several miles across the city from his patient.

In January, 1908, Mrs. Mostow made deeds to property at 817 Main street, and her home on Wyandotte, to her only surviving heir in Kansas City, James P. Richardson, owner of the Prosso Preparatory school. This was done to escape the payment of the collateral inheritance tax, and to prevent the heirs in Chicago from securing any of her property. The deeds were not to be recorded until after her death.


In the summer of 1908, it is charged, Lee secured so great an influence over Mrs. Mostow that he secured permission to move himself and family into her home. Here they have lived since. The taxes are said to have been paid by the Mostow estate, and during her lifetime all the household expenses were met by Mrs. Mostow.

After Lee had been living in the Mostow home a few months, it is charged, it was seen that he gained an influence over the aged woman, and she began deeding small pieces of property to him.

Mr. Richardson, seeing the trend of affairs and fearing that he might lose the property that was to be his at the death of his aunt, immediately recorded the two deeds. When Mrs. Mostow died, it was found that she had bequeathed the same two pieces of property to Lee.

Suit was brought in the circuit court by Lee to set aside the deeds, charging undue influence. A similar suit was also brought by Richardson and the Chicago heirs to set aside the will.

The evidence was all submitted yesterday in Judge Park's court. The final arguments will be heard some time next week.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

December 5, 1909


Other Infectious Diseases Are
Prevalent Throughout City.

Pneumonia is quite prevalent throughout the city, and physicians say it has reached serious proportions. The severe and variable weather is a promoter of the malady. During December there were forty-two deaths from pneumonia. This is twelve more than for December of 1908.

Smallpox is another cold weather affliction, but thus far the city has been quite free from its ravages. Yesterday the second smallpox case since June 7, 1908, reached the attention of the health authorities. The victim was a white man and he was taken to the hospital for the treatment of infectious diseases from a house on Harrison street, between Seventh and Eighth.

Measles is another malady that is demanding the attention of the health authorities. It had its inception in the northeast part of the city, and has been steadily spreading.

Labels: , , ,

January 4, 1910


Brother-in-Law of Recent Victim
Makes Seventh Case in Family.

The typhoid fever epidemic has struck the seventh member of the Swope family, Dr. B. Clark Hyde, 3516 Forest avenue, a brother-in-law of the late William C. Swope, being the latest. Dr. Hyde has been ill for a week, but his physician, Dr. J. W. Perkins, says his condition is not serious. The fever is thought to have been caused by drinking water from a cistern at the Swope family home in Independence.

Labels: , , , , , ,

December 15, 1909


Attacks Still Another Member, Miss
Stella Swope.

Miss Stella Swope, another member of the Swope family, has contracted typhoid fever. Sarah Swope, her sister, was taken ill with the malady a few days ago. None of the invalids are in a dangerous condition. Miss Dixon, formerly governess, who came to the home with Margaret Swope, is seriously ill, but in no immediate danger.

Miss Lucy Swope is expected home today from New York, having left Paris upon hearing of the illness of the family, and the death of her brother, Chrisman Swope.

Labels: , ,

December 6, 1909


Niece and Nephew of Philanthropist
Are Ill in Independence.

Typhoid fever has broken out in several places in Independence and the health board expects trouble there. In the household of the late Thomas H. Swope, Margaret and Chrisman Swope, niece and nephew of the philanthropist, are seriously ill, and Dixon, governess of the Swope children, and a housemaid, also are reported affected with the malady.

The presence of the contagion in Independence caused another analysis of the city water. It was found to be in a satisfactory condition and physicians ascribe the cause to unsanitary plumbing or garbage.

Labels: , , , ,

December 4, 1909



Tin Drinking Cup Blamed by Medi-
cal Inspectors, Especially at
Benton -- Several Parochial
Schools Involved.

The medical inspectors going the rounds of the public schools have unearthed diphtheria and scarlet fever zones within the confines of Benton, Washington and Karnes schools. They are also learning from the daily returns of practicing physicians, of the existence of the two maladies among pupils of two or three of the parochial schools, but as the authority of the inspectors does not extend to schools of this description Dr. W. S. Wheeler, sanitary commissioner, has not felt justified in taking any voluntary official notice or action.

Of the parochial schools the worst afflicted is St. John's Parochial school, 534 Tracy avenue. This school, located in a district largely inhabited by Italian children, is conducted by the Sisters of St. Joseph. Yesterday Sister Superior Monica appealed to the health authorities to make an investigation. Dr. H. Delamater, chief inspector, made a personal visit to the school and was informed that ninety of the 160 pupils are detained at home by sickness. Within the last six days cases of scarlet fever have developed among the pupils, and Dr. Delameter fears that many who are home at home may have it. He will have an examination made of the school building as to its sanitary condition, and will have class rooms fumigated.

Washington public school is at the southwest corner or Independence avenue and Cherry street, and the Karnes school is at the northwest corner of Troost avenue and Fourth street. Large numbers of the pupils have scarlet fever, the majority of victims predominating among those attending Karnes school. The diphtheria is not as epidemic as scarlet fever. The attendants of these two schools live in the territory bounded on the south by Admiral boulevard, north by the river, west by Grand avenue and east as far as Lydia avenue. The majority of the cases are north of Fifth street and scatter as far to the east as Budd park. As an assistance to the health authorities in keeping in touch with the exact location of the disease, a large map of the city has been prepared, and when a case of diphtheria develops a green-headed pin is driven into the map, designating a particular territory, and when one of scarlet fever is reported the map is perforated with a red-headed pin.


The map describing the Washington and Karnes school districts is rapidly filling up with the pin indicators, but not as noticeably as the district in which Benton school is situated. At the latter school diphtheria is the most prevalent, and is giving some alarm. The infection is spreading with rapidity. Benton school is at the southwest corner of Thirtieth street and Benton boulevard, in a fashionable and well-to-do neighborhood. There are from twenty to thirty cases of diphtheria among pupils going to this school, and it is feared that the disease got its start from the drinking cups in use there.

"The drinking cup in the public schools is a menace to health and is a communicator and spreader of disease," said Dr. Delamater yesterday. "Its frightful possibilities were fully described by Dr. W. S. Wheeler in his last annual report, and he advises that it be relegated and sanitary fountains installed in the schools. The health of no child is safe when the tin cup is in use. While I am not directly charging the appearance of diphtheria at Benton school to the drinking cup, still there is plenty of room for that suspicion as the school building is new and should be sanitary."

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

November 26, 1909


Married Twenty-Seven Years, Di-
vorced Three, Will Again Wed.

A marriage license issued yesterday in Kansas City, Kas., to Henderson James and Ella James is of more than passing interest to ones familiar with the story of their lives. It is a story of twenty-seven years of married life, then an interval of three years as divorcees, an application for a marriage license and the prospective reunion of two persons who began life as husband and wife on Thanksgiving day just thirty years ago in Lawrence, county, Ind.

The illness yesterday of Mrs. James, who is at the home of her son, Guy Henderson James, 305 Shawnee avenue, Kansas City, Kas., prevented the marriage of the couple, but it will be performed just as soon as she is convalescent. Four grown children will be made happy by the reconciliation of their parents.

"We decided it was all a mistake and determined to forget all about it," said Mr. James yesterday.

Mrs. James has been living at 53 Lombard street until recently, when she moved to her present address. She became sick a few days ago and her former husband, who is employed at the stock yards, came to take care of her. After talking the matter over they decided that they could not get along without each other. Mr. James is 51 years old and his prospective bride is 48.

Labels: , , , ,

November 7, 1909


Does Not Attempt to Injure Rela-
tives, but Bites Self, Foams at
Mouth When Face Is Washed.

John Benson Willets, 3 years old, whose parents live in the Missouri river bottoms north of Kansas City, Kas., died at 10 o'clock last night of hydrophobia caused by the bite of a dog, believed to have been mad, which was inflicted last September.

The father, A. M. Willets, was forced to move last summer by high water in the Missouri river. The family made its home at 2516 North Fifth street, Kansas City, Kas. While the boy and his sister, Grace, 14 years old, were playing, September 9, in front of their home, a dog attacked the boy. The animal's teeth went trough the child's hands. He was also bitten on the forehead. when the dog was beaten off by the sister the boy was badly lacerated.

Dr. T. C. Duncan, who lives in the neighborhood, treated the boy. The wounds healed, leaving only scars. Wednesday the father took the boy to a hay field on his place. That night the child began scratching his face and hands. Mr. Willets thought that it was caused by irritation of scratches the child had received in the hay field. When an attempt was made to wash his face to ease his pain the boy began to foam at the mouth.

Later he exhibited symptoms declared to be the infallible ones in hydrophobia cases. He would stand rigidly on his heels, and, with his body forming a bow, would touch the floor with his head. The boy did not attempt to bite members of the family in the paroxysms of the rabies, but inflicted wounds upon himself with his teeth.

Labels: , , , , , ,

November 2, 1909


Total Cases for October, 138; In-
crease of 83 Over Last Year.

During October there were 138 cases of diphtheria reported to the board of health. There were twelve deaths. For the same month a year ago there were but fifty-five cases of the disease reported.

"I didn't know know that there was such an epidemic," said Dr. W. S. Wheeler, sanitary superintendent, when his attention was called to the October record. "Unfortunately the ordinances are weak for a proper control of infectious diseases. Parents in most cases are very careless. They insist on sending their children to school when they complain of being ill. The child who complains of a sore throat may have diphtheria. In this way the infection is spread.

"I hope that when the hospital and health board meets Wednesday it will give me authority to start in on the contemplated inspection of public schools. In this way we will be able to detect contagious diseases among children. The council tonight transferred $5,000 to the health and hospital board for this purpose. It will be money well spent."

Scarlet fever also is rampant among children. The health authorities learned of sixty-five cases during October, against forty-five for the same month in 1908.

Labels: , , ,

October 17, 1909


Daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Bernard
Corrigan Ill Less Than One Week.

After an illness of less than a week, little Marie Louise Corrigan, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Bernard Corrigan, died yesterday morning of diphtheria. The funeral will be this afternoon at 2:30, and burial in the family plot at Mount St. Mary's cemetery. The baby was 18 months old.

Labels: , ,

October 10, 1909


Two of Frank Young's Children
Dead, Four Others Ill.

Two children dead within three days of typhoid-pneumonia, and four others seriously ill with the same disease, that is the plight of Frank Young of Linden, Mo., whose second child died yesterday at Wesley hospital.

Edith Young, 12 years of age, died Thursday at Linden. Clelland Young, 11 years old, died here yesterday at Wesley hospital.

Edith was buried in Linden, mo., Friday, and Clelland will be buried today by his sister's side.

One of the other children, a boy, is said to be critically ill.

Labels: , , , ,

October 5, 1909


Carries Unconscious Form of Child
From Train.

Carrying the unconscious form of her 2-year-old son, Morris, in her arms, Mrs. Lillian McGregor of Kackley, Kas., collapsed at the Union depot last night. The little fellow became ill on the train several hours before it arrived at the Union depot. As his fever grew, the child became hysterical and then lost consciousness. Drs. Harry Morton and E. D. Twyman were called to attend the child, which rapidly developed spasms. Mrs. McGregor was on her way to Fort Madison, Ia., where she expects to visit relatives.

Labels: , , , ,

September 25, 1909


So 10-Year-Old Son Starts to Walk
to Clinton, Mo.

Ernest Wolf, 10 years old, weak from typhoid fever and just out of a hospital, started out last evening to walk from his home in the rear of Holmes and Twelfth streets, from which place his mother is to be taken to a hospital today to his father's at Clinton, Mo.

The little fellow expected to follow the railroad tracks. When he got to the Union depot he saw so many tracks that he became frightened and began asking questions.

According to Ernest's story which Mrs. Everingham verified through the authorities, his mother, Alice, has been so ill that she has not been able to work for almost a month and arrangements were made yesterday to take her to a hospital.

Mrs. Everingham arranged last evening with the Associated Charities to take care of the boy until his mother is able to support him again.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

September 24, 1909


Joseph Lucasie Imported by Show-
man Fifty Years Ago.

Joseph Lucasie, who was one of the Albino family which the late showman P. T. Barnum imported from Belgium to his museum in New York city, over fifty years ago, is dying of dropsy at the general hospital. It was thought last night that he could not survive through today. His hair is white as wool and his eyes are pink.

In his show bills, Barnum advertised the Lucasie family, consisting of four members, as being the last of a famous tribe of Albinos of Madagascar. They were Joseph's father, mother and sister. Joseph was 9, and his sister 12 years old. All were musicians.

Joseph was taken suddenly ill Wednesday afternoon at his home, 1117 Norton street.

Labels: , , , ,

September 15, 1909


His Friends Are Confident of His
Early Recovery.

Colonel Thomas Swope, who has been confined to his room at the home of Mrs. L. O. Swope, South Pleasant street, Independence, was not so well yesterday morning, but last evening he was improved somewhat.

Colonel Swope is suffering from an attack of nervous prostration. There is hope for his early recovery.

Labels: , ,

September 10, 1909


Mr. and Mrs. Walton Holmes, Jr.,
Only Got to London.

Mr. and Mrs. Walton Holmes, Jr., have returned from their European trip, which was terminated at London owing to the serious illness of Mrs. Holmes. Mrs. Holmes is well on the way to recovery.

"It had been planned to tour Europe, but the sickness of Mrs. Holmes terminated everything and our only anxiety was to get back home," said Mr. Holmes yesterday. Dr. J. F. Binney was called from Kansas City to attend Mrs. Holmes.

While on the way over on the Cunarder Mauretania, Dr. Binney was called, with a Dr. McArthur of Chicago and the ship's surgeon, to perform an operation for appendicitis upon a boy on the ship. The patient has recovered. Mrs. W. H. Holmes, Sr., who was a member of the party, has not yet returned from Europe.

Labels: , , , ,

September 9, 1909


Is Suffering From Slight Attack of
Nervous Prostration.

Colonel Thomas H. Swope is suffering a slight attack of nervous prostration at the home of Mrs. L. O. Swope, South Pleasant street, Independence.

Colonel Swope has been indisposed for some days. through advice of his physician he was finally persuaded to go to bed.

His condition is not considered serious by family or friends.

Labels: , ,

August 30, 1909


In Critical Condition as Result of
an Operation.

Lieutenant M. E. Ryan of the police, is in critical condition at St. Joseph's hospital, following an operation performed yesterday afternoon. The operation was to remove a growth inside his right ear. He was unconscious early this morning. His physicians had little hope of his recovery.

Lieutenant Ryan has been on the police force twenty years, having been appointed a patrolman while Thomas M. Speers was chief of police. He was stationed for years at No. 4 police station at Fifteenth and Walnut streets. A year ago he was removed to police headquarters.. Mr. Ryan lives at 3711 Woodland avenue. He is married and has four children.

Labels: , , , , , ,

August 23, 1909


Father and Son Succumb to Fever in
Stricken Neighborhood.

Two more victims of typhoid fever have been reported from the neighborhood of Eighth street and Brighton avenue, where there has been a small epidemic of that disease for the past two weeks, the last two cases being father and son, John Sheffner, 5016 East Eighth street, a carpenter 64 years old, died yesterday morning. His son, G. Blaine Sheffner, died last Thursday.

Funeral services will be in the Armour memorial chapel and burial will be in Elmwood cemetery.

Labels: , , , , , ,

August 21, 1909


Ten-Year-Old Boy Wants His Play-
mates Near When End Comes.

"If I have to die and go to heaven, I want to be at home, where all my playmates are," said 10-year-old Royal Schick of Albuquerque, N. M., who, in charge of his mother, Mrs. Robert Schick, passed through the Union depot yesterday on their way home from a visit in Dubuque, Ia., where the boy had been advised to go in the hope that it would benefit his health.

Royal is suffering from a severe case of kidney trouble which has baffled the physicians of the New Mexico city. The case developed over a year ago, up to which time his mother says he was apparently in as good health as any of the boys of his town. Since then he has gradually wasted away.

A moth ago the physicians at Albuquerque recommended a change in climate. The Northern trip was suggested, as it would be cool, and then it was hoped that the lower altitude might prove beneficial. The little fellow grew worse and finally begged his mother to take him back home. Mrs. Schick missed the early train for the Southwest and had to remain at the depot all day. The little fellow was made comfortable in the hospital ward in the depot until night.

Labels: , , ,

August 16, 1909


McWilliams Ran Home and Fell in
Doorway From Heat Exhuastion.

Although it was much cooler yesterday than the day before, one case of heat prostration was reported in Kansas City, Kas. John McWilliams, a teamster employed by the Armourdale Lumber Company, while driving his team along South Tenth street yesterday afternoon, was notified that his 4-year-old son was very sick and likely to die. McWilliams tied his team and ran all the way to his home at 376 South Boeke street, a distance of nine blocks. When he reached his home he fell in the doorway unconscious. He was attended by Dr. J. A. Davis, who had been called to attend the child. Dr. Davis said he was prostrated by the heat, and that the condition was critical. The child, which was stricken with spasms, recovered before his father reached home.

Labels: , , , , , ,

August 10, 1909


Unconscious Oklahoman Carried
$2,000 Currency in His Pocket.

With $2,000 in currency in his pockets, Gus Schneider, a cattle raiser of Enid, Ok., was attacked with appendicitis while waiting for a train in the Union depot last night, and was discovered unconscious by Mrs. Ollie Everingham, the depot matron. Mrs. Everingham gave him emergency treatment until a physician, Dr. R. O. Cross, was secured from among the waiting travelers.

Schneider brought his cattle to the stock yards Saturday night. They were sold yesterday, and after dinner he walked to the depot. He did not feel well, and selected a seat near a window. He was attacked by pains in the stomach and it is presumed he lost conscious shortly afterwards.

Several phone calls were put in for physicians, all of whom happened to be out. One of the callers then used a megaphone in the waiting room, and Dr. Cross responded. Dr. Cross lives at Lahoma, Ok., and was on his way home. He accompanied Schneider on the train.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

August 10, 1909


Pet Dog's Saliva Infects Wound on
Owner's Hand.

Children living in the neighborhood of Fifty-first street and Prospect avenue are having a hard time of it the last few days. Their mothers refuse to allow them to get out of sight, and if a dog appears the children are hustled into the ho use and doors barred. The cause of the confinement of the kids and the dog scare is a small fox terrier owned by Mr. Van Felt, near Fifty-first street and Prospect avenue.

Six dogs owned by neighbors of Mr. Van Felt were bitten by the fox terrier on last Friday afternoon. Mr. Van Felt played with the dog late Friday afternoon and the dog licked his hand in a playful way. A wound on the hand became infected late that night, and the next day Mr. Van Felt heard that his dog had bitten others. Becoming frightened, Mr. Van Felt consulted a physician who diagnosed the swelling as hydrophobia. The physician left for Chicago last night in charge of his patient who was going to be treated at the Pasteur institute.

The police of No. 6 station were informed of the result of the physician's examination. Sergeant R. L. James sent an officer to round up the dogs that had been bitten. His instructions are that the owners tie the dogs for a period of fifteen days. If symptoms of hydrophobia appeared within that time the dogs are to be killed.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

July 14, 1909


Andrew Johnson Found in Budd
Park Suffering From Ptomaines.

Writhing with pain from ptomaine poisoning, Andrew Johnson, 45 years old, janitor of the Fountain place apartments at 1448 Independence avenue, was found at midnight last night in front of a park bench in Budd park. At the emergency hospital Johnson told Dr. F. R. Berry, who treateed him, that he had eaten some ice cream at a drug store early in the evening. Soon after he was attacked by acute pains in the stomach. Emergency treatment last night brought no relief, and Dr. Berry thought Johnson would not live until this morning.

Johnson has a wife and child.

Labels: , , , , , ,

May 29, 1909


May Survive Some Hours, but
Physicians Give No Hope.

Still in an unconscious state, Governor Thomas T. Crittenden is slowly sinking. At times, since he was stricken with apoplexy Thursday afternoon at Association park during the baseball game, he has seemed to be nearly conscious, so much so as to nod his head and move his hand, but yesterday afternoon and evening brought a decided change for the worse. His unconsciousness is seeming to grow deeper and he now gives no sign of life other than his breathing and unusually good heart action.

It is this heart action which is keeping Governor Crittenden alive, according to his physicians, who, with trained nurses, are constantly in attendance.

"I consider Governor Crittenden's condition extremely critical," said Dr. Ned O. Lewis, one of the attending physicians, last night. "However, we expect that he will survive the night, though his recovery seems now to be impossible. It is his strong heart action that is keeping life within him now."

All of yesterday scores of Governor Crittenden's friends visited the home at 3220 Flora avenue, although no one was allowed into the sickroom. Messages of sympathy and hope for recovery have been received by the family from many sources.

Labels: , ,

May 28, 1909



Age and General Ill Health Believed
by Doctors to Render Recovery
Problematical -- Has Not Re-
gained Consciousness.

As the result of a stroke of apoplexy which came upon him yesterday afternoon while watching a baseball game at Association park, former Governor Thomas T. Crittenden is lying at the point of death at his home, 3220 Flora avenue, with physicians in constant attendance.

Slight hope is entertained for Mr. Crittenden's recovery. His age and general ill health are said to be factors against his rallying. Though Mr. Crittenden had not regained consciousness up to a late hour last night, it was ascertained by the attending physicians, Ned O. Lewis and J. C. Rogers, that Mr. Crittenden's entire left side is completely paralyzed. The left side of his face is badly bruised where he struck the benches in front of him when he fell forward at the ball park.

Mr. Crittenden had been sitting in the grandstand near the third base line during the first of the two games which were played between Kansas City and St. Paul. Other spectators who were sitting near him said that he had not displayed any unusual excitement over the game and had been sitting rather quietly.

It was the beginning of the second inning of the second game when Mr. Crittenden was seen suddenly to fall forward and outward into the aisle.


Thinking that Mr. Crittenden had but fainted, his immediate neighbors rushed to pick him up and placed him on the bench, where they attempted to revive him. Dr. Stanley Newhouse, the park physician, was hastily called from the press box, where he had been watching the game. He gave Mr. Crittenden prompt attention, but was unable to revive him.

Mayor Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., was summoned from the city hall. He was driven to the park in an automobile, and suggested that he drive his father home in the motor car. Dr. Newhouse advised an ambulance, and one from the Walnut street police station was summoned. Then Mr. Crittenden was taken to his home.

After a long consultation with Dr. Lewis and an examination of Mr. Crittenden, Dr. Rogers stated that while the patient was in a precarious condition and that he was critically ill, there was a little hope for his recovery.

"It all depends upon the size of the hemorrhage on the brain," said Dr. Rogers. "It appears that the hemorrhage is from a ruptured small blood vessel, but we do not know whether or not the flow had been stopped completely. Governor Crittenden has been in poor health for several months. That taken into consideration with the fact that this is the second attack, does not argue well for a speedy recovery."

Dr. Newhouse, who first attended Mr. Crittenden, is not so sanguine as Dr. Rogers. Dr. Lewis remained with his patient all night, and did not make a statement.


Eighteen years ago, while Mr. Crittenden was a practicing lawyer, he had his first stroke of apoplexy. No ill effects resulted from the first stroke, other than to make him more susceptible to the second.

Mr. Crittenden has long been a baseball enthusiast and there have been few games this season, according to his son, that he has missed. It has been his chief recreation, and though his family feared for him to go alone to the games on account of his age and declining health, Mr. Crittenden persisted in doing so. Mayor Crittenden said last night that his family had feared some untoward incident as a probable result of his innocent recreation.

Dr. Newhouse stated last night that he believed the attack was caused from an overwrought nervous condition. He said that it occurred at a lull in the game and excitement, and was the result of a reaction upon the nerves, even though Mr. Crittenden had not appeared excited.

Mr. Crittenden in 77 years of age. He was born January 1, 1832, in Shelby county, Ky. His father was Henry Crittenden, a farmer, and the former governor was one of eight children. He received his education at Center college, Danville, Ky. Among his classmates were Judge John F. Philips of this city, who was by his bedside last night; W. P. C. Breckenridge, John Young Brown, and other noted men.


Mr. Crittenden studied law at Frankfort. Soon after his marriage to Miss Carrie W. Jackson he moved to Lexington, Mo., where he first practiced law. There he remained until the civil war when he and Judge Philips raised a regiment of federal sondiers, and were engaged in the war for three years. Many of his battles were fought in Jackson county.

At the close of the war Mr. Crittenden formed a partnership with Francis M. Cockrell, afterward United States senator. During that time Mr. Crittenden was sent to congress from Missouri.

In 1878 Mr. Crittenden became governor of Missouri, and the four years of his administration were stormy ones. At the close of his term he moved to Kansas city, where, with the exception of four years, he has resided since. That exception is during the time he acted as consul general to Mexico under President Cleveland.

Mr. Crittenden has three sons, H. H., Mayor Thomas T., both of Kansas City, and William J. Crittenden of Pittsburg, Pa., now in Japan.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

May 22, 1909


Odd Fellows and Rebeccas Find Ap-
pendicitis Sufferer on Train.

When returning Odd Fellows and Rebeccas boarded a Frisco train Thursday night on their way from a g rand lodge meeting at Springfield, Mo., they found an unconscious boy, John E. Lee, prostrate in his seat. Several doctors on the train cared for the lad, who was about 16 years old, and it was found that he had succumbed to a serious attack of appendicitis.

All the way to Fort Scott, where he was sent to a hospital, he was delirious, but it was learned that he was on his way from his home in Chattanooga, Tenn., to the home of his uncle at Emporia, Kas. Only a few cents were in his pockets, and a collection of $14 was taken up for him and turned over to the Fort Scott Odd Fellows.

Labels: , , , ,

April 15, 1909



Double Pneumonia Sets Up and End
Came in Less Than a Week.
Business and Public

After an illness of less than a week with double pneumonia, C. B. Hayes, speaker of the lower house of the city council, peacefully met death this morning at 1 o'clock in St. Joseph's hospital. Relatives were at the bedside.

Last Thursday morning Mr. Hayes sat on the board of equalization at its meeting. At noon he was taken ill and went home. By night he was confined to his bed and the next morning taken to St. Joseph's, where his condition as found to be critical and remained so up to the time of his death.

The pneumonia was complicated by an affect of the heart. Yesterday afternoon he began to sink rapidly and members of his family were sent for. They remained with him all night until the end came.

Last Sunday morning at the Church of the Annunciation Rev. Father William J. Dalton asked for the prayers of his congregation for the speedy recovery or happy death of the stricken councilman.


Mr. Hayes was born in Chicago July 20, 1865, and had been a resident of Kansas City since September 1, 1896. At the last municipal election he was elected alderman of the Eighth ward on the Democratic ticket, and was later chosen speaker of the lower house of the council as a compliment from his associates in that branch of the council.

Two weeks ago he was chosen exalted ruler of the local lodge of Elks. He was a member of the Manufacturers and Merchants' Association, the Currant Club, Turners, Knife and Fork Club, Third regiment, and secretary of the Missouri River Wholesale Grocers' Association.

Prior to coming to Kansas City, Mr. Hayes had held important positions with the Bliss Syrup Refining Company of Chicago, and as an appreciation of his services the company made him manager of its Kansas City branch.


He held this position for five years, resigning to organize the C. B. Hayes Merchandise Brokerage Company, a commercial concern with headquarters in the West Bottoms. Mr. Hayes always took a lively interest in the upbuilding of Kansas City.

He was active in negotiations for the building of the Union passenger station and freight terminals. He was unmarried, saying that he could "never find time to marry."

Mr. Hayes was a member of the council committee considering the building of the Twelfth street west trafficway, and the foundation for his fatal illness was contracted in Chicago when eh went with the committee to inquire into the Chicago plan as applied to the street railway companies. He caught a severe cold on that trip.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

March 23, 1909


Three Will Be Laid Up For
at Least Ten Days.

With four of the best twirlers on the Blues' staff in the hospital, the prospects for starting the season with well trained flingers assumed a very gloomy aspect yesterday. Two of them must stay in bed at least a week, under the most favorable conditions, and may be confined for six weeks. One is out, but may be ordered to a bunk on short notice, and the other will be laid up for at least ten days.

The sick list contains William Duggleby, "Nick" Carter, "Vinegar Bill" Essick and "Lefty" Brennan. Roy Brashear has a severe cold which may put the star infielder out of commission later, but he is still able to play. Duggleby has a badly swollen eye as the result of being hit on the head by a pitched ball Sunday and will not be able to play for at least ten days, although he will try to keep in training to a certain extent during that time. Essick is able to work, but he has a severe cold which will not keep him away from practice altogether unless it gets worse.

The real sick members are Brenan and Carter. They played Saturday and Brennan was able to make three hits in the game Sunday, but yesterday the club physician stated that they had malaria fever and made them go to bed for at least a week. They may be able to get up at the end of that time if their condition shows improvement daily, ubt should they get worse, which is altogether probable, they may be confined to their rooms or a hospital for six weeks..

Manager Cross knows what Essick and Carter can do. In fact, they are about sure of being on the regular staff this season, but Brenan is entirely new to Cross and it is a question whether Duggleby can pitch the brand of ball needed in this league. He failed to do anything remarkable in the Eastern league a year ago and unless he shows improvement this spring he may not draw a regular station.

Labels: ,

February 27, 1909


Wheel Chair Ordered for Admiral,
Who Has Rheumatism.

"Rear Admiral Robley D. Evans will arrive on the Burlington from St. Louis Saturday morning at 7:10. Meet him with a wheel chair and see that he is cared for. He has a severe attack of rheumatism."

This was the order received by Union depot officials last night. "Fighting Bob" is coming to Kansas City to lecture next Tuesday evening at Convention hall under the auspices of the local Young Women's Christian Association on "From Hampton Roads to San Francisco," relating interesting incidents in connection with the cruise of the American battleships during the first leg of their globe-encircling journey.

It was not known here that Admiral Evans was ill until the above instructions were received by the depot authorities. Kansas City business men had planned to have a delegation meet the distinguished visitor and entertain him, but it is probable that his condition will prevent him from taking part in any social functions. It is thought, however, that he will be able to fill his engagement.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

February 15, 1909



William Jewell's Afflicted Students
Keep in Touch With the World
Via Telephone -- Love
Letter Relayed.

"Hello! Hello! Is this Liberty? The gymnasium of William Jewell college, I mean?"

"You mean the pest house, don't you?" said the man at the other end. "You do? I thought so."

"Well, how is everything at the pest house today?"

"Fine and dandy. Eight new patients brought in this morning, and they're doing fine. What's that? The Sunday dinner? Great, only Doc has put the lid on meat diet, and there was nothing doing in the chicken line. Smallpox patients, you know, are not allowed to eat flesh meat."

"Any excitement today?"

"Excitement? Surest thing you know. We had Sunday school at 9:30 this morning and preaching at 11."

"Who did the preaching?"

"Yours truly, the speaker, The Journal's regular correspondent at Liberty. Knew I was in the smallpox jug down here, too, didn't you?"

"Well, that is interesting; what did you preach on?"

" 'As He Thinketh in His Heart So is He.' "

"Anything else?"


"Yes, young people's meeting this afternoon. The topic: 'What I Have Learned from the Life of Job.' Yes, and maybe we don't sympathize with that well known and popular character, too. Tee-hee."

The William Jewell college is still in quarantine, but the William Jewell pesthouse, so-called, is one of the jolliest spots in Liberty. For several days past the "gym" of William Jewell has been dedicated to Red Cross purposes, and some forty students, down with a mild attack of smallpox, have been having the best time they have experienced since the football season closed.

Information from the William Jewell "gym" must come by long distance telephone. The Journal's correspondent is among those present and vaccinated, and he is doing his little best under the difficulties.

In addition to the baseball teams, the handball flives, the quartet and band, the smallpox victims are seriously considering the advisability of establishing a detective bureau, with a view to ascertaining who is the guilty mark that brought the dread disease to Liberty.


In times past William Jewell students, after their Christmas vacation, have brought back some funny things, but the student who brought back this fairly well developed case of smallpox probably was not trying to spring a joke. That some student did bring the malady back among his home products is nearly certain. But who did it?

The pesthouse band was not working yesterday, the day being given over mainly to religious exercises, but the strenuous and merry programme will be inaugurated again this morning.

Last Saturday night the pesthouse boys had a time that made the unafflicted on the outside world green with envy. One student delivered an oration on "The Romans in Carthage (Mo.)"; the pesthouse quartet sang several popular and classic songs and the pesthouse band made a melodic disturbance that could be heard as far east as Main street.


There have been so many beds added to the "gym" that they are shy on floor space and the basketball games will have to be abandoned. The weather may put a damper on the ball games, and as the college authorities put the ban on pinochle and seven-up, the students will be forced to chess and checkers for excitement unless the sun comes out and gets busy.

The several love-sick students in confinement are having the sorriest time of it all. They can write letters to their sweethearts afar, but as the nervous heroine has often said: "Now that I have written the note, who shall take it?"

It was Hocksaw himself who used to say: "I will take the note," but Hockshaw wasn't in quarantine.


One young man who doesn't care particularly who knows his business dictated a letter over the telephone to a friend downtown, the friend copying the letter with violet ink and mailing it to the nerve-strained, restless maid who had been vainly waiting at the other end of the romance and wondering what had happened.

There are sixty cases of smallpox in William Jewell by actual count. It is the intention of the faculty to reopen the college a week from today and students in the "gym" have likewise been notified to get well. Reports indicate that they have been having entirely too good a time.

Dr. W. B. Hooser is in charge of the patients. "Doc," as he is affectionately addressed by every one of his patients, has had the smallpox, so that he is not in danger. He has also won the vote of every afflicted man by giving the positive assurance that there will be no pox marks on the face or body.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

February 9, 1909



Will Resume Tour in Kansas city
February 28 -- Star Who Has
Been Seen in Many
Famous Roles.
Miss Blanche Walsh, Star of Stage

Blanche Walsh, one of the most prominent of feminine stars on the American stage, is ill at the University hospital and her engagements for the next two weeks, which includes her St. Louis date, have been cancelled.

Miss Walsh, according to the hospital physicians, is suffering from an enlarged liver, and while she intended to come to Kansas City and simply rest for a week, her physician advised her to go to a hospital and remain there for treatment.

The hospital authorities say that Miss Walsh's condition shows no dangerous symptoms, and while an operation may be necessary, it is not probable that surgery will be resorted to.

Miss Walsh came to Kansas City from Joplin on a special train yesterday morning. She first went to the Baltimore hotel, intending to stay there, but the physician advised her to go to the hospital, where her recovery would be more rapid and more certain.

Hugh C. Brady, Miss Walsh's acting manager, said last night:

"Miss Walsh's tour is booked up until the middle of June. With the exception of these two weeks the remaining dates of her tour will be filled. She will resume her work in Kansas City, opening at the Willis Wood for a week's engagement February 28.

"Miss Walsh has been under a severe strain all season, and while her ailment is one of long standing, she has never before taken it seriously. It was only yesterday, when we were within hailing distance of Kansas City, that she decided to cancel two weeks' time, come here and consult a physician and take the rest which she thought she needed.

"She was greatly disturbed over the erroneous report that she intended to end her tour in this city. Such a thing was never contemplated."

Miss Walsh has appeared in many roles in Kansas City theaters. Her earlier successes here, of course, were in such famous plays as "Cleopatra," "Gismonda," "Fedora," "Tosea" and other great plays, in the star parts which she succeeded Fanny Davenport.

Labels: , , , , ,

October 15, 1908


Two People Ate Them, and Both of
Them Nearly Died.

Mrs. Ula I. Steffler and H. E. Bailey, who were taken to the Emergency hospital yesterday afternoon and treated by Dr. W. L. Gist for strychnine poisoning, will recover. Both live at 717 May street, where Mrs. Steffler is housekeeping for Bailey.

Mrs. Steffler said she often used morphine for neuralgia and that upon finding a box of tablets on the sidewalk which she supposed were morphine tablets, she took two of them. It turned out that the tablets were strychnine tablets sometimes used by veterinary surgeons in the treatment of animals. Either contained enough of the poison to kill a human being unless heroic treatment was applied at once. Soon after taking the tablets Mrs. Steffler became deathly sick.

Then followed the strange part of the incident. Bailey accompanied Mrs. Steffler to the hospital and seemed anxious to do everything in his power to aid her. After the examination, he returned home saying that he wanted to go back and lock up the house which had been left open during the excitement. Half an hour later Dr. Gist was again called and by this time it was to attend to Bailey.

The man stated that the excitement incident upon the poisoning of Mrs. Steffler had so unnerved him that upon his return and finding a small box, supposed to contain morphine, upon the table, he took one tablet. This tablet also contained strychnine and Bailey became sick at once. He was treated at the hospital and after a short time was out of danger.

Labels: , , , ,

October 4, 1908


They Apply 110 Volts of Elec-
tricity to a Mule With
Tetanus and Animal's
Jaws Relax.

A cure for lockjaw!

Something which would startle the medical world and bring a wave of relief over humanity if it proves to be true.

Two men in Kansas City, Jeff Burgess and William Nutberg, employes of the Heim Brewing company, believe they have discovered this boon to the human race.

A lowly, humble and obstinate mule was the means of this discovery, if discovery it be, and again that much abused animal has proven its usefulness to ungrateful man.

Recently one of the mules used by the brewing company stepped on a rusty nail, and last Thursday this mule showed signs of the dreaded tetanus.

Burgess, who is stable foreman, conceived the idea of giving the mule an electric shock to relax the muscles.

Veterinary surgery?

Medical knowledge?

Neither had anything to do with the conclusion which resulted in a treatment that relaxed the tightened muscles of the mule's jaw and perfected what is thought to be a cure at least in animal tetanus.

When the shock was applied, that of 110 volts of current, the mule was contorted. A few moments after the men who were working for the animal's life were startled, as well as gratified, to see the mule open his jaws. The beast is now able to eat without difficulty, and if he becomes entirely well, the matter will be taken up by physicians and experiments carried out which will demonstrate either the futility or the success of the treatment thus discovered by two men who have neither the learning of science or surgery.

Who knows? It may be that the men, the mule and the current may add one more important discovery to the long list of the twentieth century.

Labels: , ,

September 30, 1908


Aldermen Gregory and Eaton De-
tained at Home by Illness.

At the last moment there were some unexpected changes in the personnel of the city officials who accompanied Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., last night to omaha, to attend the sessions there of the League of American Municipalities. R. L. Gregory, president of the upper house, who has been ill for several days, did not feel physically able to undertake the task, and Alderman J. F. Eaton was advised by his physician not to go.

Labels: , ,

September 27, 1908


Congressman Accompanying Hisgen
Party Taken Suddenly Ill.

Melford W. Howard, former congressman from the Eighth Alabama congressional district and a member of the Higsen party, was taken ill at the Hotel Baltimore yesterday afternoon. It is probable that he will be unable to fill a St. Joseph speaking engagement Monday night. Dr. J. R. Snell, house physician at the hotel, was called into consultation at 5 o'clock. Dr. Snell said that Mr. Howard had a very high fever which might not be reduced in less than twenty-four hours.

Labels: , , , , ,

August 16, 1908


Morphine Was Administered to Miss
Allen by a Traveling Doctor.

Raving, and in extreme pain, Miss Beulah Allen of Marcelline, Mo., was removed from a Santa Fe train at the Union depot last night. The conductor said that the young woman had boarded the train at Marcelline and was apparently in the best of health. Later she became violently ill and a physician on board the train administered morphine.

Seized with the conviction that she was about to die, Miss Allen called repeatedly for her sweetheart, who lives in Marcelline. The physician who attended her admitted that he could not understand the case nor did he konw what troubled the girl. He said taht she seemed to be in a very serious condition and that death might result at any time.

The ambulance from the emergency hospital was called and the girl given treatment by Dr. J. Park Neal. Dr. Neal said that the girl had suffered from cramps, and that morphine administered by the physician on the train had served to unbalance her mind. No serious results are anticipated.

Labels: , , ,

August 16, 1908


Owner of a Hotel Said His Manager
Was Shamming.

A hotel proprietor at 1205 Charlotte street appeared in police court yesterday to prosecute Mrs. Hattie Daschner, his manager, alleging that she disturbed his peace. Witnesses said that the woman was too ill to appear. the proprietor insisted that she was not, that she was hale an hearty and only shamming.

Justice Theodore Remley, sitting for Harry J. Kyle, police judge, issued a bench warrant for Mrs. Daschner and ordered the police to have her in court at 1 o'clock. In the meantime she was to be released on a $200 cash bond.

At the appointed hour the police returned empty handed. But they had made an investigation, they said. "That poor old woman is 70 years old," one said, "and she is certainly down sick in bed. We could not take her from there."

Justice Remley advised the proprietor to see if the matter could not be adjusted out of court.

Labels: , , , , ,

August 15, 1908


Mrs. Alice Buerskens Felt She Was a
Burden to Her Husband.

With a small bunch of flowers in her left hand and a large revolver in the right, Mrs. Alice Buerskens shot herself in the right temple at 10 o'clock in her home, 1700 East Twenty-eighth street, yesterday morning after sh e had written a note to her husband, Henry Buerskens, a bartender, telling him she loved him too much to be a burden to him any longer. Alice Holmberg, 7 years old, who lives at 2705 Vine street, every day paid a visit to Mrs. Buerskens and when she called at the home yesterday Mrs. Buerskens sent her to the store to purchase stamps. While the child was away from the house Mrs. Buerskens shot herself.

She died instantly and was found lying on the bed by the Holmberg girl when she returned to the house from the store. Alice Holmberg immediately ran to her home, where she notified her mother, who in turn apprised No. 6 police station.

Carpenters employed on a new building across the street from the Buerskens home heard of the pistol shot, but paid no attention to it. The dead woman and her husband had recently moved to the Twenty-eighth street house, and the neighbors did not know their name.

The police found difficulty in securing the woman's name and it was several hours before the husband was notified of the suicide. The husband could not give any reason for the deed, and the note she left to explain her act was not clear. He said that his wife appeared to be in a happy mood when he left her in the morning to go to work. Before her marriage to Henry Buerskens she was Alice Beech and formerly a nurse in the city hospital and in the state hospital at Topeka, Kas. The coroner was notified and he had the body removed to Freeman & Marshall's undertaking rooms.

Mrs. Buerskens left the following note addressed to her husband:

"Dear Henry: You are not to blame for this -- I love you too much to burden you longer. Pray God to forgive me -- love to my own dear mother, father, brother and all my people -- sweetheart, don't you feel bad -- I am sorry I could not help you more -- love and kisses, Alice"

When seen last night, Mr. Buerskens said his wife had been ill for several years and of late had been worse than usual. They had no children and she was alone in the house the greater part of the time, and probably brooded over her illness. He said his wife had never complained of being tired of life and he had no idea she would kill herself.

Neighbors and friends who have known the woman for several years said she had been in the habit of taking opiates to relieve the pain she continually suffered. Mrs. Buerskens's parents reside in Topeka, Kas.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

July 14, 1908


Robert Neudeck Is Slowly Dying of
Starvation in Kansas City, Kas.

Robert Neudeck, a well known resident of Kansas City, Kas., is slowly dying of starvation at his home, 1052 Reynolds avenue. The attending physicians have abandoned hope for his recovery and announce that the end is only a question of a short time.

More than a year ago Mr Neudeck suffered an affliction of the stomach. At first it was not thought to be serious and his doctor placed him on a light diet. The case has baffled the physicians. From all indications the walls of his stomach have grown together.

Mr. Neudeck is a member of one of the oldest and best known families in Wyandotte county. He has been engaged in the mercantile business, and for a number of years was a member of the local police department.

Labels: , ,

July 6, 1907





Headley Is a Stationary Fireman,
and Declares a "Job is Being
Put Up on Him" -- Vic-
tim Is Improving.

Just as Mrs. Ward Headley had finished reading of the attack upon 5-year-old Eunice Swift, with which her husband is charged, in the morning papers yesterday, her sister entered her room and told her to hurry to the bedside of their mother, Mrs. Melinda Greenstreet, who, it was thought, was dying. The bride of a week, already dumbfounded by the sudden knowledge of the crime for which her husband is under arrest, sat as one dead to the world, as if she had not heard the sad news which her sister had brought. It took much urging and explaining by the sister before Mrs. Headley collected her wits enough to understand just what was happening.

Hastily she arose from her chair and without a word walked bareheaded to her mother's home, 1706 Indiana avenue. There she found her aged mother at the point of death. Mrs. Greenstreet had not been informed of the charges against Mrs. Headley's husband, and without a word, Mrs. Headley took her place beside the bed. Later in the day when a visitor questioned her concerning her husband and his alleged crime, Mrs. Headley could scarcely speak, so great was the strain under which she labored.


"I do not know what to think of it," she said. "Ward was a particular friend of the Kelso and Swift families, and to learn that he had attacked those little children was a complete surprise to me.

"The only explanation I can offer is that he was crazy drunk. For three days steadily he has been under the influence of liquor. Friday night some of our friends came over to our house and gave us a chariavari. He was drunk when he went to bed that night and his actions were peculiar. Saturday morning when he got up he had not quite sobered, but he insisted on going to a saloon for another drink. Against my wishes he went, and he stayed two hours. When he returned he brought two bottles of beer with him.

"That afternoon he decided to go to the Kelso's, 'just for a few minutes,' he said. I understand that he had more beer there, but I have seen nothing of him since he left our home at noon.

"Am I going down to the jail to see him?" she repeated in reply to a question. "Well, I should say not. I am through with him for good. My mother is almost dead, and I wouldn't leave her for anybody. I don't think I will try to get him free, or to get him out on bond. I can't help believing the charges are true for the evidence is unmistakable."

Mrs. Kelso and Mrs. Swift, the mothers of the two girls, went to the Greenstreet home yesterday to see Mrs. Headley and to express their sympathy for the unfortunate young wife. "I feel very sorry for Mrs. Headley," said Mrs. Swift. "She is such a fine little woman, much better than Headley deserved. This and her mother's condition are a severe blow to her Mrs. Kelso and I will do all we can to help her through her trouble, but we will not let up on the prosecution of her husband."


Eunice Swift, the little girl who was most seriously injured, is said to be greatly improved, but is still under a physician's care. Ethel Kelso is still suffering from nervousness and extreme fright.

Ward Headley, who is arrested and charged with the assault, is a fireman employed by the Browing King Clothing Company building. At police headquarters, where he is being held, he made the following statement:

"I am innocent of the crime they charge me with. I have known the little Kelso girl ever since she was born, and liked her very much.

"This arrest reminds me of the time I was arrested on the charge of stealing a watch, not many years ago. At that time they thought they had enough evidence to put me behind the bars, but I fooled them and proved that I was innocent. That's what I am going to do this time, too."

Headley requested that his wife be notified of his arrest, and that she come down to the jail to see him. He wanted to talk to her, and explain that thing were not as bad as they had been painted. He felt confident that he would be successful in making his wife believe that it was a put up game against him."

Labels: , , , , , ,

June 26, 1908



He Has Seven, One of Them Being
Boaz, Last Remaining of Trip-
lets -- Mother of Chil-
dren Dead.

Martin Curry, father of the much advertised Curry triplets, was arrested yesterday afternoon on a warrant issued out of the juvenile court, Kansas City, Kas., charging him with neglecting his children. He was locked up in the county jail and will be arraigned in the juvenile court today The arrest of Curry was caused by numerous complaints made by neighbors. He has six children beside the one remaining triplet, Boaz, the two others having recently died. It is the older children that he is accused of neglecting. He stated last night that he had in no way neglected his family as far as he knows. He proposes to hire an attorney and fight the case. Under the juvenile court law neglect of children by their parents is punishable by a fine and jail sentence.

On Sunday afternoon December 22 last, triplets were born to Mr. and Mrs. Martin Curry, 2543 Alden avenue, Kansas City, Kas. The babies, two boys and a girl, were all perfectly formed and unusually healthy. Curry is a laborer and, owning to his poor financial circumstances, the people of the two Kansas Citys became deeply interested in his family, especially the triplets, and hundreds of dollars were contributed by the public that the little ones and their mother should not need for anything in the way of care and attention.

The speedy and generous response of the public lifted a load of worry from the father and all went well until the death of Mrs. Curry, which occurred five weeks after the birth of the triplets. The little ones were doing splendidly at that time and the prospects for them to live were pronounced good by the family physician. At the time of Mrs. Curry's death an effort was made to have the triplets placed in a nursery where they might receive the best of care, but the father decided to trust the rearing of the babies to his 17-year-old daughter Bertha.

Ten days ago the babies were taken ill from having been fed sour milk. Ruth died on Wednesday, June 17, followed by the death of David last Sunday. Boaz, the last of the triplets, still lives, but is not in the best of health. Dr. T. C. Benson stated last night that the child was much better than it was a few days ago, and expressed the belief that it would live if properly cared for. It was Dr. Benson that named the triplets, christening them as they were born.

Labels: , , , , , ,

June 3, 1908



Little Patients Look Forward to the
Day With Impatience -- A
Gleam in Their Mel-
ancholy Lives.

"Wait till our new playroom's done." That is what the little boys and girls, inmates of the Mercy Hospital, Fifth street and Highland avenue, are saying. Everything now centers about that large new playroom which is almost completed, and every morning and afternoon the nurses have to take the children back into the new building and let them feast their eyes on the room which is to mean so much fun to them.

Some of the little patients in the hospital have been there for seven months, and in some cases there are not many signs of improvement. Their lives are not full of pleasure, and it is seldom that visitors who take more than a patronizing interest in them are seen. The little fellows feel that they are being made spectacles of and they can see the pity in their visitors' eyes. That is not what they want; they want comradeship. Their games are few, and in bad weather they must stay indoors. For this reason they look forward to the large playroom with such promise of rainy day pleasure.

At present there are eleven patients in the hospital, ranging from 10 days to 8 years in age. The older children are unusually bright and quick to learn, and in the most instances they desire to keep up their school work while in the hospital. Slates and school books have been provided for that purpose and the nurses take turns in teaching them. Few of the children, except the infants, are confined in beds, and so they find ample time to play at their games.

Running games are on the "blacklist" among them for one of their number is a cripple and cannot move without the aid of crutches. The children themselves have passed the rule that no game which calls for running or jumping shall be played, and so most of the time is spent in telling stories and piecing card maps.

"You see Joey, he's got hip d'sease, and it ain't fair to him if we play tag cause he'd have to sit and look," said one little girl in telling about their games.

But the nurses take the most interest in the infants. Maybe it is because every unnamed infant which is brought to the hospital is named for one of the nurses. There are Anne, Ruth, Carmen and Marjorie. Then the male infants are named for the doctors or particular friends of the nurses, such as Ralph and Billy. Billy is the pet of the hospital. He belongs to a mother and father who wish he did not belong to them, and consequently they are never seen about the hospital. Billy is 2 years old and is almost blind, totally in one eye. He can not talk, but his actions are so pathetic, say the nurses, that "you just can't help loving him." And so Billy gets the cream.

Miss Virginia Porter, superintendent of the hospital, says that older children are all well behaved and that they grow fond of the hospital and nurses. Even though they come of parents who do not love them, for the most part, Miss Porter tries to teach them that they should love their home and their parents above all else. The children all show the effect of this teaching, for when one little girl in the hospital was asked if she would rather stay in the hospital or go home, her little face grew long and she said: "I'd rather go home, I guess, for Mrs. Porter says that homes are the best places in the world."

Labels: , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory