Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

February 9, 1910


They Feel Music, Floor Carrying
Vibrations to Their Feet.

Deaf and dumb people are "like the rest of us" except that they dwell apart in a world where there is eternal silence. Just because their language is not ours it does not mean that they do not have a good time occasionally, a truism which was demonstrated last night when seventy of them had a genuine masked ball in the A. O. U. W. hall at Ninth street and Michigan avenue.

The few visitors who attended the hop saw exactly what anyone sees at a function of this kind -- men and women gaily disporting themselves in all kinds of ludicrous costumes. There were smiles and laughter, perhaps, even, flirtations. The eyes behind the ashen mask of the clown sparked brightly through the peep holes at the lustrous orbs of the queen of spades or the kilted chorus girl. Only the hands, quick, sentient members that fluttered constantly, telling stories the tongue was intended to convey. Outside of this slight difference it was all that could be expected of a masked ball.

Miss Mary Annett was the funniest girl on the floor. The three judges decided this with a single gesticulation apiece. She was petite and pretty. An outsider would not have said "funny" but "interesting" in describing her.

She was tricked out in a blue gingham union suit of enormous proportions. As she glided easily to the tune of a waltz, her feet answering in some occult fashion the vibration of the music conducted to them by the floor boards, she was often applauded, but never laughed at. Mary got a hand-painted cracker bowl as a trophy.

Mary had two sisters present who rivaled her for grace and dress. They were Elda and Edna Arnett, both older than she and able to talk.

Leslie B. Honien, dressed as Happy Hooligan, was the funniest man. Honien is a printer. He had "pied" his costume. "Pied," by the way, is a technical term meaning "generally mixed up, presumably by accident."

Others who shared in the prizes awarded were C. O. Duffield and Leonora McGinnis. Goldie Marksbury played the piano.

The remarkable thing about the dance was that everyone knew how and followed the music, despite the fact that they were unable to hear a single note. The floor carried the vibrations to their feet.

The dance was a benefit given under the auspices of the Association of the Deaf. The returns, amounting to $60, are to go to the education of the deaf and dumb.

The judges were the Rev. J. Koehler, Charles Minor and Frank Laughlin.

Labels: , , ,

August 29, 1909


At End of Unequal Struggle, Score
Was 24 to 8.

A V-shaped crowd stood in Swope park yesterday afternoon. Except for occasional handclapping, there was silence. Yet a ball game was in progress. There were no coachers. The batters slugged the ball and ran swiftly about the bases. Not once was there the old familiar "Put 'er here," nor the semi-hysterical "Third base, you chump."

Persons riding in automobiles and in other vehicles stopped to watch the unusual spectacle. The players gesticulated wildly. They made excitedly pantomimic gestures at the umpire on the occasion and snapped their fingers under his nose in a way no regular arbiter would "stand for," but never was a word said between the kicker and the kickee.

It was the deaf mutes' baseball game.

In spite of the absence of "rooting" and the wild applause which greets the usual base hit in the average game, the Kansas City Silents, who were playing the Missouri Selects, slugged mightily. At the end of the fifty inning the Missouri Selects gave up the unequal battle. The score was 24 to 8, even though two deaf mute mascots of the Selects, each 3 years old, "rooted" as loud as their small fingers would allow them.

Labels: , ,

July 28, 1909


With Twenty Swimmers Close at
Hand, Bather Goes Down
Third Time at Y. M. C. A.

With more than a score of persons swimming within ten feet of him yesterday afternoon in the swimming pool in the Y. M. C. A. building, P. H. Hanner, a deaf mute 23 years old, living at 517 Washington, was almost drowned before he could attract the attention of anyone. Hanner struggled several minutes and had sunk for the third time before it was realized that he was drowning. It took two hours to resuscitate him.

When Hanner's limbs began to tire and he realized that he couldn't reach safety, he tried to motion for help. No one saw him. He could not cry out, and the water with its splashing bathers , made invisible his signals for help.

He sank for the first time and rose to the surface; a moment later his lungs filled with water. In desperation he waved his hands. The second time he sank he began to think that the end was near.

"That's a pretty good diver," said someone. "See how he stays under water."

Just as he was sinking for the third time, one of his companions noticed the agonized expression on his face. The attention of several others was called, and he was pulled to safety. The ambulance from police headquarters was called and Dr. F. R. Berry induced artificial respiration until he recovered consciousness.

Labels: , , , ,

July 20, 1909


Proprietor and Employes of Sexton
Thought J. G. Barnes Dead.

Believing J. G. Barnes of Chicago dead, C. L. Wood, proprietor of the Sexton hotel, his clerks and employes broke into Barnes's room yesterday morning only to discover why he did not answer the call bell or the bell boy when he rapped at the door to awaken him was that he was a mute.

Barnes is a horse dealer. He visited the stock yards yesterday, departing last evening. He arrived in Kansas City from Chicago Sunday evening, and registered at the Sexton. He wrote a call for 8 o'clock on a slip of paper which he handed to Clerk George Brown. Brown forgot that the guest was a mute, and placed the call with the others. He said nothing yesterday morning when relieved by Day Clerk Jacobs.

About five minutes past 8 o'clock the telephone girl told Mr. Jacobs that No. 310 did not answer. Five minutes later a bell boy was sent to the room. He returned and reported that he could get no answer. Jacobs then sent the porter with the bell boy, declaring himself that the telephone was out of order and that the bell boy had "soldiered." Both porter and bell boy returned with the information that the key was inside the door, and that they were unable to arouse the occupant of the room.

Clerk Jacobs notified Mr. Wood, and the quartette made their way to the room. They were joined by others.

Barnes's covers were deranged and one leg hung out of the bed. Mr. Wood took hold of Barnes's knee. As he did, Barnes turned his head and, gazing at the frightened faces around the bed, smiled.

"My, but you are a hard sleeper," declared Mr. Wood when he recovered from the surprise.

Then it was that the mute wagged the message that he could neither hear nor speak. Mr. Barnes told Mr. Wood that as a rule the vibration caused by the ringing of a bell or a hard rapping on the door of his room was sufficient to awaken him.

Labels: , , ,

July 6, 1909


Deaf Mutes Enjoyed Their Outing
at Budd Park.

In one corner of Budd park yesterday were gathered about 125 men and women. Probably fifty or more children played about, shooting firecrackers and making the usual amount of noise that children make on the Fourth of July.

Not a mother said, "Be careful now," or "Don't go too close." Firecrackers, large and small, were exploded all about the grownups, but not one so much as turned a head or blinked an eye. The occasion was the Kansas City deaf mutes' picnic. Most of the children of deaf mutes have the power of speech, and those at the picnic yesterday were a happy, rollicking, talkative bunch of youngsters.

The picnic was held to arrange ways and means for building a home for aged and infirm deaf mutes somewhere in Missouri. Cash donations already have been made and subscriptions pledged.

On August 26, 27 and 28 the Missouri State Association for the Deaf will hold a convention here. H. B. Waters, 2830 Michigan avenue, is chairman of a local committee to perfect arrangements for the convention.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

June 23, 1909


Blind and Partially Deaf, G. E.
Keller Fails to Locate Him.

When G. E. Keller, 88 years old, blind and partially deaf, arrived in the Union depot yesterday morning, having come to Kansas City in quest of his son, Charles Keller, whom he believes to be ill and out of money, he did not know his address and a search through the directory failed to show the name. Mr. Keller came here from the state of Washington.

A letter received from the son a few weeks ago told of his illness and an operation. The boy was then living in a rooming house, and funds were sent to him at the time. The aged father lost the letter giving the son's address.

Mrs. Ollie Everingham, depot matron, asked the police to aid in the search for the boy, but at a late hour last night he had not been found.

The old man was made comfortable at the depot, where he spent the night.

Labels: , , , , , ,

May 14, 1909


Deaf Husband and Tongue-Tied
Bride Booked for Municipal Court.

When Ben Green, who is deaf, married Eliza Reamer, who is tongue-tied, last week at the home of his mother in Lawrence, Kas., everyone thought the match an excellent one, though the couple had known each other only a week.

With light hearts they boarded a train for Kansas City, where they intended to spend their honeymoon. Possibly the world at large wouldn't have known about the union if they had not been arrested at Independence avenue and Holmes street yesterday afternoon. They were quarreling.

Both were taken to police headquarters and charged with disturbing the peace. In default of bond they were kept at the station. Mrs. Green, in the matron's room, attempted to tell about her marriage.

She met Green in Wichita a week ago, she said. It was a case of love at first sight. Green persuaded her to go to Lawrence, where they were united. The husband was unable to find work, she said, and they quarreled. The case will be tried in the municipal court this morning.

Labels: , , , , ,

October 11, 1908


Naturally So, Seeing That Neither
Bride Nor Groom Could Speak.

"They were very quietly married," Justice of the Peace Mike Ross said yesterday afternoon. And indeed they were, for neither of the two people spoke a word during the marriage ceremony. It was just a few minutes before 5 o'clock yesterday afternoon when three people strolled into the office of the recorder of deeds. A young man came first, followed by a young woman, and the mother of the girl bringing up the rear. Gazing around the large room until his eyes found the sign "Marriage Licenses" over a door in the corner he directed his steps thitherward.

Intuition on the part of the license clerk told him what the young couple had come for. The young man indicated that the sign language was the best he could do in the way of conversation, and the clerk nodded that he understood. Lester B. Honican, 23 years old, Cynthiana, Ky., and C. May Frank, 20 years, Wyandotte, Kas., was written on a piece of paper by the young man and the clerk filled out the necessary papers.

Honican then wrote the words "justice of the peace." and Justice Ross was summoned. The gentleman who has officiated in hundreds of court house marriages forsook the ceremony he has used so often and asked each of the parties one short question, which was written on a slip of paper and the parties read it. The marriage of the deaf mutes yesterday was said to have been the first silent marriage ceremony ever performed in the court house.

Labels: , , ,

January 25, 1908


Body of James Jarrett Buried in Elm-
wood Cemetery.

A deaf mute funeral service was held at Stine's chapel yesterday afternoon. It was for James Jarrett, a shoemaker, who lived at 3615 Independence avenue with his wife, who is also a mute, and a son almost grown. Rev. Jensen of the German Lutheran church officiated, delivering his sermon audibly at the same time as with the sign language of deaf mutes. About forty of them attended and a number of other friends. A deaf mute congregation worships every other Sunday afternoon at a church at Sixteenth and Cherry streets. The body of Mr. Jarrett was buried in Elmwood cemetery.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

October 23, 1907


North End Belligerent Whipped by
Mike Crowley, Who is 80.

Mike Crowley, 80 years old, probably is the loneliest individual in the North End. He is an old soldier and deaf. He lives on a little pension and wanders about from place to place.

Yesterday afternoon Crowley was standing by a pile of wood in front of the Helping Hand Institute when Jack Coleman, under the influence of liquor and much younger in years, came along. He no sooner saw the old man than he sprang upon him, threw him back onto the wood pile and choked him until he was blue in the face. Several men standing about ran for dear life. In the fall "Old Mike," as Crowley is familiarly known, lost his cane. He regained it, however, in time to let Coleman have a couple of good blows over the head. Then Coleman ran -- for the emergency hospital.

Labels: , , , , , ,

June 6, 1907



Greetings Implanted on the Cheeks
Instead of Lips -- Youngsters
Were From State School
for the Deaf.

When the 5:40 Chicago & Alton from the east pulled into the Union depot yesterday afternoon, bringing forty-five deaf and dumb children from the state school fo the deaf at Fulton, the excitement could not have been greater if all the forty-five and the crowd of Kansas City relatives had all been shouting at the tops of their voices.

The deaf folk are great kissers. Every Kansas City boy and girl but one -- and twenty-six of the forty-five were Kansas City children -- was seized by fond arms, hugged tight and kissed upon both cheeks. The deaf people don't kiss one another upon the lips, or at least those at the Union depot did not yesterday afternoon.

When the kissing was completed the finger greetings began. How many hundred questions were asked and answered from hand to hand the innocent bystander whose hands were deaf and dumb could only conjecture. But every blessed child and welcoming parent or sister was talking the single hand language on each hand seeparately at the same time. It made the bystander wonder if there wasn't some advantage, after all, in being deaf and dumb. A man who talks with his mouth and listens with his ears cannot talk about more than one thing at a time. He has only one mouth. The deaf and dumb people talked twice at the same time -- one with each hand -- and listened with both eyes, the listener at the same time talking twice at once.

They are an exceedingly friendly folk, and everything was forgotten in the welcome extended to the home-coming school children. They didn't know that a dozen locomotives were blowing and panting nearby or that there was a roar of whistles and bumping cars out in the yards. One deaf mother carried a baby which cried, but she didn't hear it or pay any attention.

One of the youngest and prettiest little girls in the party was the last to come out of the car which had orne the party from Fulton. She stood alone on the platform of the car for a moment, signaling frantically with her thumb on her upper lip and her fingers wigging. The sign was rather an unexpected one for a neat little girl in a bright blue uniform and mortar board cap, to be making in the face of a big crowd. After a little she stopped it and dased down the steps into her mother's arms.

Professor D. C. McCue, assistant Superintendent of the school, who was in charge of the party, was asked what that sign meant in deaf and dumb one-hand lingo.

"It means mother," he said. If you put your thumb on yuour forehead and wiggle your fingers, you are saying 'father.' Your thumb on your chin and wiggling fingers means 'sister.' The little girl was calling her mother."

One little lad met no welcome. There was no one to meet him and he began to cry. Professor D. C. McCue took him by the hand to the depot matron's office. There the little lad sat and cried, waiting for his father or mother to come. He couldn't talk to a soul and his eyes were so red with weeping that he couldn't read the cheering notes which the matron wrote for him. The lad carried a card, as do all the deaf children, bearing his name and address. It read: "Everett Early, 1309 Crystal avenue." Once before, a year ago, a little boy who came home from the deaf school waited in the depot long hours until his father, who was at work during the day, came to take him home.

The other children passed through the depot at 7 o'clock. There were two parties of them, one of thirty under the care of J. S. Morrison, bound for Joplin, and the other one of twenty in care of Professor L. A. Gaw, bound for Springfield. There were no Kansas City children on the 7 o'clock train.

The total enrollment at the state school for the deaf for the year, which closed yesterday, was 381. All of these children were sent to their homes in groups of twenty or more, each group under the care of one of the teachers in the school. They went from Fulton to all parts of the state. The school consists of two large buildings and cottage dormitories for the children. In addition to double hand language, the children are taught to read and write and to work at some trade. There are classes in cooking, cabinet making, tailoring, printing, shoe making, harness making, blacksmithing, gardening, sewing and dressmaking. There are thirty-five teachers and over fifty other employes.

Labels: , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory