Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

December 21, 1909


Cecil Killey, 10 Years Old, Spent It
at Drug Store Raffles.

Money given him by his grandmother to buy schoolbooks Cecil Killey, age 10 years, of 4016 Central avenue, spent on drug store raffles. The boy was taken into juvenile court yesterday to explain.

"All the boys do it," explained the youngster. "Sometimes there are as many as thirty in a drug store at one time. It costs ten cents a chance. If you win you get a box of candy."

"You are too young to gamble this way," said Judge E. E. Porterfield. "The next time you are brought into this court you will be sent to the McCune Farm.

Labels: , , , , ,

November 26, 1909


Postal Telegraph Girl Operator Glad
Missouri Won.

"Give me six cigars," said Miss Jessie Wadley, the petite Postal operator at the Hotel Baltimore, yesterday afternoon as she laid a silver dollar on the cigar counter.

"I don't believe in betting," she explained, "but I told some of my friends that if Missouri won this time that I would buy each of them a good cigar. I just felt all the time that Missouri would win."

Labels: , , ,

November 26, 1909



Defeat Jayhawkers In a
Great Battle 12 to 6.
Missouri Tigers Wallop the Kansas Jayhawks.

Bitterly, even heroically, contesting every inch of the Tigers' invasion the Kansas Jayhawkers went down to defeat before Missouri, by a score of 12 to 6. The biggest crowd that ever witnessed a football game in Kansas City passed through the gates yesterday at Association park. Long before the park opened at 12:30, large lines of rooters were headed for the different entrances and by 1 o'clock the 200 ushers were more than busy. Many persons who were unable to get seats took advantage of the buildings in the vicinity and trees, roofs and telegraph poles were crowded. The yelling was probably the best that was ever given by the rival universities.

Even when the Jayhawkers realized that they were beaten, their spirit was not broken. With the cheer leaders who were placed in the center of the field, 2,000 students echoed their famous war cry when they knew it was of no avail.


By 2 o'clock, a half hour before the game started, the seats were all taken .. It was one mass of color. On the south side the crimson and blue of Kansas flaunted saucily in the light breeze, while the somber yellow and black of Missouri floated in the north bleachers. Across the high board fence in the rear of the Missouri section, the Tiger enthusiasts had stretched a long canvas on which was painted "Missouri Tigers." It was unnecessary work, for any stranger in the city could have told from the yelling that the Missouri rooters were seated in that particular section.

The K. U. contingent was the first to open hostilities in the matter of yelling. The band, twenty-four in number, gayly dressed in crimson and blue suits, marched out on the field, and commenced to play the "Boola, Boola," which brought the Kansas rooters to their feet. For fully five minutes the Kansans had their inning. The cheer leaders with frantic gestures signalled for the famous "Rock Chalk," which echoed across the field for five more minutes.


The Tigers a few minutes later had their chance. Out on the Belt Line tracks on the north side of the park a snorting engine pushed a Pullman and from the entrance twenty-two men in football uniform emerged and stealthily crept toward the park. The springy step told that ten weeks' training had not been for nothing. Before the roots were hardly aware of their presence they had filed into the park through the north entrance. A cheer that could have been heard for a mile greeted the Missouri players. The military band commenced on "Dixie" and for a moment the air was one mass of yellow and black. The cheering only stopped when the team lined up for a signal practice.

The Kansas team arrived on the field at 1:45. They came through the southwest entrance and their red blankets were more than conspicuous as they raced across the gridiron. A cheer that rivaled the Tigers' greeting arose from thousands of Kansas admirers, and lasted fully as long as that given their rivals. Until the game started, promptly at 2:30 o 'clock, the two sections vied with each other in giving the yells of their respective schools. The Missouri band, to demonstrate its ability to play, marched in front of the Kansan stands and played a funeral dirge.

With this great victory goes the championship of the Missouri valley conference for 1909 and the honor of having an undefeated team for the season, the first Missouri ever had. Not only this, but it shows how superior Roper is as a coach over Kennedy, winning with an eleven lighter, no faster, but so thoroughly trained in football that it outclassed the Kansas team, especially in kicking.

This is the first battle the Missouri Tigers have won from Kansas since 1901. It is the first time Missouri has crossed the red and blue goal line since 1902. This is the fourth win for Missouri in the past nineteen years and so great was this victory that all Missouri is celebrating.

On straight football Kansas made 298 yards during the game while Missouri made but 190. On punting Missouri was the victor, making 780 yards in 21 attempts, for an average of over 37 yards to the punt, while Kansas made 465 yards in twelve attempts for an average of over 38 yards to the punt. Punting really won the game for Missouri.


Chancellor Strong's visit to President Hill of Missouri in a neighboring box was watched with interest.

"It's too bad; you will lose," the tall Kansas chief executive greeted President Hill. Both smiled and shook hands.

"Just watch," was President Hill's rejoiner.

Mayor Crittenden occupied a box in the center of the field in front of the Missouri section. When the first score was made a few minutes after the game started the mayor threw his had in the air and yelled like a collegian. Frank Howe, who sat in the same box, was equally as demonstrative.

When the second band of rooters arrived in the city yesterday morning they maintained the same confidence that existed until the kickoff. At Thirteenth and Central streets the Missouri band started a procession which was several blocks long. Up the principal streets of the city the crowd wended its way, giving the Tiger yell. In front of the Coates, the headquarters of the Jayhawkers, the long line stopped and gave a serenade. Even the "Rock Chalk" yell wasn't able to drown out the "Tiger, Tiger, M. S. U."


Though the Tigers were confident that they would win, the demanded odds and were generally successful in getting 2 to 1 money. It is thought that the boarding houses in Lawrence will have to wait for board for many weeks, for most of the K. U. students considered the proposition a joke that Missouri would win.

"Just putting your money out at good interest," was the way one K. U. man characterized it.

The crowd was especially well handled at the game. The twelve entrances provided enough room to admit ticket holders as fast as they applied for admission. After conclusion of the game there were jams at the gates, but no one was injured.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

October 29, 1909


Victim, With Shattered Leg, Falls
at Wife's Feet in Kitchen.

His right leg shattered by a bullet from a negro policeman's pistol which struck him as he stood in his own kitchen door, Martin Young, also a negro, fell at the feet of his wife as she was eating supper last evening.

Young, who lives at 1126 Highland avenue, was playing poker earlier in the day near Tenth street and St. Louis avenue, it is claimed, and the game was raided, but he managed to escape. Patrolmen Gray, Tillman and Campbell, all negroes, in plain clothes, surrounded his home. Tillman went inside while Campbell guarded the front of the house and Gray the rear.

Wilson went out of the back door and seeing the officer standing behind a fence started back. Gray shouted at the ma but as he made no attempt to stop, immediately shot him down.

Labels: , , , , ,

October 21, 1909



Polish Grappler Knows Many Holds
and Would Make Better Show-
ing Against High Class

Zbyszko, claimed to be champion wrestler of Europe, has made his first appearance in Kansas City and wrestling followers in this city have little more line on his ability now than before he appeared here. In fact they do not think hardly as much of him, purely because the big Polish athlete did not have a chance to extend himself. His opponent was not of the class that will force a champion wrestler to show his worth. Zbyszkko defeated Karl Alberg in Convention hall last night before a good crowd.

The first fall was gained after eleven minutes of tumbling about the ring and the hold was a sort of reverse Nelson. The second fall was gained in five minutes and ten seconds by a scissors and half Nelson. Zbyszko was a little heavier than his opponent, but both weight around the 250 mark. It was announced before the match that the winner would wrestle Gotch for the championship of the world and fans expected to see a fast and hotly contested bout. They were disappointed, however, as Zbyszko completely outclassed his opponent. He knows many holds, and there is hardly a move made by his opponent that does not give him a chance to get a hold good enough to throw the man or enough to give him a chance to work into a better one. He did not try to execute many of these holds. He saw that he had Alberg outclassed from the start and gave the fans a fair exhibition of wrestling before pinning Alberg's shoulders to the mat.

When the men started the bout for the last fall the Frenchman got rough, and Zbyszko, like Gotch, soon informed Alberg by his actions that two could play the same game. They sparred for a few minutes and then Zbyszko tumbled his fat opponent out of the ring a couple of times to acquaint him with the hard boards outside. This did not suit the Frenchman, and he pushed his fist into the Polish athlete's nose, causing it to swell considerably. Zbyszko retaliated, knocking several of Alberg's teeth loose with his throw. The French wrestler found rough tactics suited Zbyszko and there was no more of it during the match.


Frank Jones, a well known local sporting man, caused some excitement last night at the wrestling match when he jumped up at the ringside and stated that he would bet $5,000 Frank Gotch can throw both Zbyszko and Alberg in one hour. This bet was promptly accepted by Jack Hermann, manager of Zbyszko, who stated that he would put up $2,500, or the full amount, immediately after the close of the bout. The men met after the bout but no money was posted. It was stated that they would be asked today to make good the bet, and if they do, the Gotch-Zbyszko bout would be held in this city. Hermann stated last night that he would post his money any time.

Labels: , ,

September 30, 1909


Pool Champ Plays Out of Form and
the Local Aspirant Wins 202 to
155 Victory in a Walk.

Johnny Kling had much the best of "Cowboy" Weston, champion pool player of the world, in the first of a series of four matches for the championship title at Kling's pool and billiard hall, 1016 Walnut, last night, winning the match 202 to 155 with apparent east Weston did not seem to be in form and Kling won as he pleased.

In the first frame Kling took the lead and was never headed. From the twelfth to the seventeenth frame he gained such a margin that Weston gave up all hope and the finish was not in doubt.

The play will be resumed this evening at 8 o'clock. The tourney is 800 balls. Wagers are being freely made that Kling will win from the champion. A gallery of more than 100 pool enthusiasts witnessed last night's game.

Labels: , , , ,

September 4, 1909



Efforts of Committee to Raise
$169,000 Prove Fruitless and
the Plan to Purchase is

After sixty days of hard work the committee of twelve, which had been trying earnestly to raise money enough to take over the splendid Elm Ridge tract for public uses, held a final meeting yesterday and threw up the undertaking as a bad job. Seemingly Kansas Cityans were not sufficiently interested in what was about their only opportunity to acquire an adequate outdoor arena, even to answer more than one out of a hundred of the letters sent them by the ways and means committee. At their own expense the committeemen mailed 10,000 letters to all classes of business men in the city, but the replies were few and far between.

Of the $169,000 required to purchase the grounds, about $100,000 was in sight when the matter was given up. Of late, meetings of the committee had been held nearly every day, but its members came to the conclusion yesterday that they could not get enough help to carry out their purpose.


"I am heart-broken over the failure to purchase the tract," said W. A. Rule, chairman of the committee, last night. Mr. Rule himself subscribed $25,000 toward the amount required. "I don't believe the people of Kansas City will have another opportunity in ten years to acquire such an ideal site for all sorts of tournaments and races, but they probably don't realize their loss. For celebrations, horse shows, automobile and balloon races and nearly every kind of tournament, another tract as close in and available would be practically impossible to find. It is a tremendous loss, but as far as this committee is concerned all efforts are suspended. The owners of the tract, Alexander Fraser and Samuel L. Lee, have been notified and the deal declared off."


In the spring of 1903 Elm Ridge was formally opened as a race course by the Kansas City Jockey Club, which was organized the preceding year with C. C. Christie as its first president. At the time of its opening betting on the races was permitted by state law. In 1905, however, this law was repealed by the legislature and the track was maintained at a loss. Ever since then it has failed to pay as a race track and went into receivership about two years ago.

The properties, including the club house and about eighty acres lying between Brooklyn and Lydia avenues and Fifty-ninth and Sixty-third streets were sold to a Kansas City syndicate, headed by Messrs. Fraser and Lee.

June 23 a joint meeting of members of the Elm Ridge Club and the Kansas City Automobile Club was held with a view of taking steps to purchase the grounds. It was decided to form a stock committee which yesterday gave up its task through the lack of interest taken by the citizens.

Labels: , , , ,

July 21, 1909


W. E. Hutton, E. S. Jewett and
Henry Garland Have Reunion.

In 1867 W. E. Hutton was general Western passenger agent of the Missouri Pacific in Kansas City, and E. S. Jewett was ticket agent. Henry Garland was with the St. Louis, Kansas City & Northern, as the Wabash was known in that year. The three old cronies met again yesterday, Mr. Hutton coming on from his home in Cincinnati for the reunion. Their anecdotes sounded like frontier stories.

"I lived right over there in a hotel kept by 'General' Crafton," said Mr. Hutton as he sat in the Missouri Pacific ticket office yesterday afternoon, indicating the Diamond drug store. " 'General' Crafton had been in the army."

"So he said," added Mr. Garland, and Colonel Jewett had to laugh at the boast of an old hotel man, who "kept tables" in a place run by Ed Findlay's father, where they never closed the door and the ceiling was the limit.

"And there was a millinery store kept by a little woman right there," continued Mr. Hutton, indicating Ninth and Delaware. "Her name was Marsh, and I recollect her trying to get a loan of $2,700 on the place. She afterward sold it for a vast amount of money."

"Wrong there, Billy," corrected Mr. Garland. "She owns the place yet, but she has had a fabulous sum of money from it in the way of rents."

Mr. Hutton told of going to Fort Scott and to Lawrence by stage. The center of the city then was Fifth and Main and gambling was the chief excitement. Colonel Jewett is still in the harness. Mr. Garland retired ten years ago. Mr. Hutton is now in the bond and brokerage business. All three are wealthy.

Labels: , , , , ,

June 18, 1909

MORE THAN $2,000


City Council in Special Session
Offers $1,000 -- Mayor and Other
City Officials Pledge $100
Each for Him.

Rewards aggregating more than $2,000 have been offered for the arrest and conviction of the thug or thugs who slugged Miss Anna Lee Owen, official stenographer for the police board investigation, in her office in the Dwight building Wednesday night, and stole shorthand notes of the important testimony relative to saloons, gambling and the police force, which she was transcribing.

Both houses of the council, in extraordinary session at noon yesterday, by resolution authorized a reward of $1,000, and ten officials personally, following the example of Mayor Crittenden, offered $100 each. Governor Hadley, for the state, announces a reward of $300. The owners of the Dwight building and John T. Wayland, an attorney, offered $100 each.

While Miss Owen was much improved yesterday, she was still carefully guarded at the University hospital., and visitors were not admitted to the sick room. She was unable to throw any more light upon the affair than she had the evening of the brutal attack. That the man who slugged her with a "black jack" wore dark clothes was the nearest to a description that she could supply.

Every detective and policeman in the department was at work on the case yesterday, having been detailed especially to search for clues which would lead to the apprehension of the guilty person. Such a cowardly attack was made upon Miss Owen by the unknown thug aroused every police officer and they were working willingly overtime. The large reward which has been offered through various sources also caused the detectives and uniform men to do their best to secure sufficient evidence to warrant an arrest.

Labels: , , , , , ,

June 13, 1909


Temporary Headquarters at Balti-
more While Father Is Sick.

After two days of signing bills, chiefly revision measures, Governor Herbert S. Hadley left his quarters at the Hotel Baltimore yesterday afternoon for DeSoto, Kas., to be with his father, Major John M. Hadley, who was stricken with paralysis early in the week. The governor departed over the Santa Fe at 4:30 o'clock. He had signed nearly 200 bills.

"A telephone communication early this afternoon announced that my father's condition is much improved," said Governor Hadley yesterday, "and if it is possible I expect to bring him to Kansas City next week. He will either go to the hospital or remain at the home of my sister. At all events I will retain my temporary headquarters at the Hotel Baltimore and finish what business can be attended to there, so as to be in close touch with my father. The trip from Kansas City to DeSoto can be made in an hour on the train or by automobile, while from Jefferson City it might require from eight to ten hours to complete the journey."

A bill appropriating $3,000 to pay for markers for the old Santa Fe trail, introduced into the legislature by the Daughters of the American Revolution, was signed by the governor yesterday morning. Another bill was one requiring an examination and registration for public accountants in Missouri. A bill making it a misdemeanor to bet on a game of pool or billiards was also signed.

Bills vetoed proved to be duplicates of laws already on the statute books.

Labels: , , , , ,

April 5, 1909


Boys Who Gambled There Over
Priest's Protest Caught by Police.

Disregarding the admonitions of a priest, a crowd of boys between the ages of 12 and 18 years are congregating in the yard of St. Patrick's Catholic church, Eighth and Cherry streets, Sunday afternoons and shooting craps. Neighbors are disturbed by the riotous boys' loud talking to the dice.

While fourteen were indulging in a big game yesterday afternoon four policemen scaled the fence and suddenly dropped into the midst of the "gang." A wild scramble to escape followed by the "bluecoats" corralled all of them and the boys enjoyed a free ride to the police station where they were charged with gambling.

Parents of the youngsters began arriving a few minutes after the culprits had landed behind the bars. Each parent insisted that his boys were not "shooting craps" but the police demanded the $5 appearance bond nevertheless.

Labels: , , , ,

March 7, 1909


Steamer Glenmore Has Troubles Other
Than Legal.

Gay summer may have to pass without assistance from the good ship Glenmore, which plied from the foot of Main street up and down stream and back again in former years, carrying persons who loved boisterous amusement. Owned by Booth Baughman, well known to followers of games of chance, the boat had been undergoing repairs on the Clay county bank.

At first the boat had been passed by government inspectors, but later it was condemned. To make the required repairs it was beached and the superstructure shoved up while the hull was being patched. Yesterday the river sneaked in and washed the supports away, dropping decks, superstructure and perhaps one engine into the water. The loss is estimated at $5,000. Repairs to the hull were to cost the same amount.

One of the Wallace grand juries returned several indictments last fall in connection with the gambling which was said to have been carried on during the boat's cruises.

Labels: , , ,

February 1, 1909


Johnny Will Take On All Comers
This Week.

Johnny Kling has bought a new set of ivory billiard balls and is practicing daily. Kling will play all comers this week, offering odds of 100 to 80, and promising a $10 gold piece to the man who can beat him.

Tonight he takes on William Freeman, a local expert, and tomorrow he will play "Rube" Waddell. Waddell is a fair player and has been playing steadily. These games will be played at 1102 Baltimore avenue, but in the latter part of this week the games will be held in Kling's new hall at 1016 Walnut street. The games will start at 8 p. m.

Labels: , , , ,

January 15, 1909


Thought Tables Had Been Ordered
Out of Coffee Houses.

A committee from the Greek coffee house proprietors filled the lobby of Central police station early last evening to see Captain of Police Walter Whitsett in regard to their business.

The coffee house of Gust Agriomalos, 404 West Fifth street, and Gust Alivizos, 423 West Fifth street, were raided Thursday afternoon by the police and the proprietors and 156 frequenters taken to the station.

In the municipal court yesterday morning Agriomalos and Alivizos were fined $500 each and the frequenters $1 each. The charge against them was gambling. The Greek proprietors understood Judge Henry G. Kyle to instruct them to take the tables out of the coffee houses. After conferring with each other later in the morning the Greeks could not see how they could conduct their coffee houses without tables and appointed a committee to see the police about the matter.

Captain Whitsett told them they could keep their tables in the restaurants, but that they would not be allowed to gamble and it would be best to do away with all card playing.

Labels: , , , ,

January 14, 1909


Those Who Claim to Know Say She
Becomes a Plunger.

That women are prone to the gambling instinct is proved by cases constantly occurring in the probate court. It was not many years ago that a woman reported that she had spent most of her husband's estate in the grain pit. When the estate was taken from her care and another guardian appointed, she was very angry.

Some years later she came into court and said she had been cured of the gambling mania. She added that the best thing that could have happened was the action taken by the court, for it had saved her children's share of the estate to them, while otherwise she might have gambled all of that away also.

Allegations that the gambling instinct seized another woman, whose estate is involved in a contest, are shortly to be brought forward. This woman is said to have dropped $4,000 on one deal alone. She is said to have had the idea that she could beat the market, but evidently the bucketshops saw her coming and took all her money.

While men may plunge oftener and for smaller amounts, it is woman who is said to be the real "game" gambler, spending her last cent to back an idea, be it at bridge, grain or stocks. Records in public places bear out that statement, it is claimed.

Labels: , ,

November 30, 1908


In the Scramble to Get Away They
Rained Real Money, Which
Coppers Got.

Money was thrown on the floor in the pool room of James Varelas, 404 West Fifth street, last night at 9 o'clock in a wild scramble of fifty Greeks to get out at the back door when the police entered the hall through the front. Two young Greeks complained to Sergeant Edward McNamara that they had lost $100 playing seven-and-a-half in Varelas's place.

The officer called Patrolman Richard Elliott, J. P. Withrow and J. C. Welch to his aid. When the police ran in, those in the rear of the pool hall rushed out. Patrolman Elliott succeeded in getting $12, and Sergeant McNamara, $1.50. The Greeks were crowded into a corner of the room and the patrol wagon called. In the first load eleven men were taken to the station, and the wagon returned after another. It took four trips to land all of the Greeks in the holdover and fourteen men rode on the last trip.

Sergeant Patrick Clark fixed the bonds at $5 each, but the Greeks refused to put that amount up, and after being booked on a charge of gambling, were sent downstairs to the holdover. Varelas was booked as the keeper of a gambling house and his bond was put at $51. He furnished bond and was released. The frequenters expected Varelas to get them out on bond and when he refused to put up the money for any of them they began to call for the jailer and put up the cash for themselves. They will appear in the municipal court this morning charged with gambling.

Labels: , , ,

November 14, 1908


That He Had the Better of This Elec-
tion Bet.

T. S. Davis thought he had won an election bet of John Rooney, but while receiving payment yesterday, he was not so sure. Both men are cattle dealers, in the business yards. By the terms of the engagement Rooney had to wheel Davis around the yards and the Exchange building in a wheelbarrow, wearing a placard announcing that he, Rooney had bet on Bryan. Yesterday was the time set for paying the bet, and when Rooney arrived with his wheelbarrow where Davis and his exulting friends were standing he had a band and a whole army with him. The losing Democrat had employed a negro band, by hook or crook had found two one-legged negroes and supplied them with police coats, helmets and clubs, and in addition he had a party of six little school girls, neatly clad. There was also the wheelbarrow and one of the biggest crowds ever packed in front of the Exchange building.

"Davis believes in social equality," read a banner carried alongside the "winner," by a negro.

"Rooney does not," read another banner, read another banner carried by one of the school children, who walked beside the "loser."

The parade stopped business for almost half an hour during its formation, progress, and disbanding.

Labels: , , , , , ,

November 8, 1908


H. D. Gibson Pushed E. L Yeat
Through Streets in a Wheelbarrow.

Amid the shouts and laughter of a big crowd, H. D. Gibson, a traveling salesman for a wholesale jewelry house, last night paid off an election bet by wheeling the winner in a wheelbarrow from Twelfth street and Forest avenue to Twelfth and Harrison streets and back. The bet was made with E. L. Yeat of Twelfth street and Forest avenue, and Mr. Gibson wagered that Taft would carry Nebraska. Friends of the two men had been informed that the ride would come off last night and had gathered to witness the humiliation of the loser. A whellbarrow festooned with flags and a large banner on which was printed "I bet Taft would carry Nebraska" was teh paraphernalia used. At the starting point at Twelfth street and Forest avenue nearly 500 people had congregated. The crowd followed the principals over the coucrse. Mr. Gibson lives at 1211 Virginia avenue and tips the scales at 240 pounds. Mr. Yeat, the winner, weighs 180 pounds. Both men have red hair and the friendly crowd took advantage of that circumstance to poke fun at them.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

November 5, 1908


They've Got All Kinds of Money to
Be Paid Winners.

Between $8,000 and $10,000 is in the hands of clerks of the various hotels as wagers on the election, the bulk of the money having been put up by traveling men from the East on the result of the New York governorship race. None of the bets will be paid until after official returns are received.

In most instances the wagers were small, ranging from $25 downward, but there were a few amounts as high as $200 and $500. There was little betting by local men at any of the hotels owing to the fact that Republicans were unwilling to take chances on other than the national race.

Labels: , ,

November 2, 1908


Bettors Favor County and State Can-
didates - National Choice is Taft.

Local betting in the pool rooms on the result of the election favors the success of the whole Democratic state and county ticket. As between Taft and Bryan, in the national, the former is a strong favorite, bets of three to one on the Republican candidate going without any takers. In one pool room an untaken bet of $3,000 to $1,000 on Taft has been posted so long on the blackboard that it is becoming dim.

So confident of success are the Democrats in the state and county that they are offering bets of two to one on Cowherd.

Labels: , , , ,

October 18, 1908


Negro Fell Dead and Police Followed
Blood Stains to Crap Game.

William Williams, a negro 19 years old, fell dead in a doorway at Penn street and the Southwest boulevard at midnight. His head was nearly severed from his body. He had been seen running in Penn street just before he died.

Spectators telephoned police station No. 3 and officers were sent to the scene. The coroner was called and stated that it appeared to be the work of a strong man with an ax.

Sergeant Thomas O'Donnell followed a trail of blood in Penn street, picked up bloody dice on the way, and finally followed the stains to a spot near a box car on the Belt line tracks near Twenty-fourth and Penn streets. He said the place looked like it had been the scene of a crap game.

The body was sent to an undertaker and the police threw a patrol out through the district in an attempt to apprehend the murderer.

Labels: , , , , , ,

September 14, 1908


Boys Were Drinking It and Police
Arrested the Proprietor.

A letter sent to the chief of police yesteday morning was responsible for the arrest of John Swartz, 209 Independence avenue, a dealer in ice cream on week days. The letter said that there was gambling and selling of liquor going on in the place every Sunday, and that it was a breeding place for vice and crime in the youths of the neighborhood.

Patrolmen E. L. Martin and W. G. Cox, in plain clothes, were dispatched to the place by Captain Walter Whitsett late yesterday afternoon. When the officers raided the place they found seven boys in the store. Some of them were engaged in playing cards and all of the young men were drinking beer. The police confiscated a case of beer and two quarts of whisky. Swartz was held and the witnesses were told to be in police court this morning.

Labels: , , , ,

September 8, 1908


City Is Richer by $147 Through His
"Friendly" Game of Poker.

When the name of John W. Smith, with six others just as fictitious, was called in police court yesterday morning, there was no response from any of them. The "John W. Smith" was none other than the much favored Charles W. Anderson, whose name, until changed by the courts after his return from prison, July 19, 1907, was William January.

Anderson, on paper as "Smith," forfeited a bond of $51 by his non-appearance, and the six others forfeited bonds of $16 each. It all came about through their arrest Saturday night while engaged in a "friendly" poker game in a room at 722 East Twelfth street. Detectives, who were armed with a warrant, broke through two doors after they had been refused admission. A regulation leather covered round poker table and a lot of cards and chips were confiscated.

In an interview Sunday, Anderson said that he was not a professional gambler, was not the proprietor of the game, and that it was only a "little game among friends." He did not say who did act as gamekeeper.

Labels: , , ,

September 6, 1908


In His Behalf 20,000 Kansas City
-ans Once Petitioned President.
Was Pardoned From Prison.

It was 9 o'clock sharp last night when Charles Ryan, inspector of detectives, called in his men -- twenty of them -- and ordered them to go out and look for poker games, which the late grand jurors charged a week ago were operating unmolested by the police.

The twenty men went. It was nearly 11 o'clock before they had any luck. Then what they ran upon was really startling. Detectives Robert Phelna, Eugene Sullivan, J. L. Ghent and "Lum" Wilson made their way to 722 East Twelfth street. As they neared the number they said a "lookout" ran up the steps and gave the alarm. Being armed with a warrant the two doors were broken open and Detective Ghent was especially surprised.

There in the midst of six other men stood Charles W. Anderson, alias William January, for whom only a short year ago 20,000 people of this city and vicinity had petitioned President Roosevelt for his release from the federal prison at Leavenworth, Kas. And the petition gained his release, too. That was on July 19, 1907.

Last year, Benjamin T. Barnes, 2345 Southwest boulevard, a harnessmaker and former convict, wrote to Warden William McClaughry that William January, who had escaped from the prison nine years before, was living here under the name of Charles W. Anderson. The arrest followed, and when it was found that January -- for that was his name then -- had been living an exemplary life during his nine years of freedom, and that he had married and had a sweet 3-year-old baby girl, the whole of Western Missouri and Eastern Kansas was aroused. His arrest took place on April 20, 1907, and he was taken to prison the next day. When President Roosevelt received the petition containing 20,000 names, with the information that as many more could easily be added, he set July 19 as the day when William January, then living at 1117 Holmes street, should be free.

When January came out he applied to the courts and soon had his name changed to Charles W. Anderson, as that was the name he assumed when he escaped from prison. Every hand in Kansas City was outstretched to aid the long-suffering man just out of stripes. He chose to open a restaurant on East Twelfth street, however, after being interested in a pool hall.

Last night when the detectives followed the lookout to the second floor, after breaking in two doors they got Anderson and six other men. They also got a round table, cards and chips. At the station no one would admit that he was gamekeeper. Sergeant Patrick Clark said: "Then I will hold you all under $51 cash bond each until I find out who was running this place."

The men were lined up to give their names. Anderson gave the name of John W. Smith just as a young player in answer to a question said, "Me? Oh, I got my chips from Anderson there."

Anderson was then informed that his bond would be $51 and the others $16 each. The former gave his at once and, after a short talk, with the men, who were consigned to the holdover, made his exit.

The game at 722 East Twelfth street was the only one bothered by the police last night. It is said that there are others.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

August 30, 1908





David B. Kirk, Sr., Captures Cards
and Chips, and She Sweeps Up
$5 Bill -- All Held as Evidence.

Wondering what attraction her husband found to keep him down town until the wee small hours of the morning, Mrs. David Kirk, Jr., 3120 Euclid avenue, daughter-in-law of David B. Kirk, foreman of the grand jury, started an investigation which culminated last Thursday night in her wrecking a pool hall located at 715 Central street after she discovered her husband in a rear room playing poker.

For some time Mrs. Kirk had been disturbed in mind because her husband had begun to keep late hours and could not give to her any satisfactory reasons for his so doing. A week ago five men were arrested by Detectives Robert Phelan and Scott Godley, who charged them with gambling. In some mysterious way Mrs. Kirk heard that her husband was one of the men, as did also his father in law, David B. Kirk, foreman of the grand jury. When taxed with being arrested Kirk, Jr., denied it to his wife, and she asked the assistance of her father-in-law.

The son was called into the father's office and denied that he had been arrested, but admitted that a friend had been caught gambling in a raid that detectives made on the pool hall and that he had gone to the station and deposited $17 bond for his friend.

David B. Kirk, 3217 Montgall avenue, foreman of the grand jury, was at his desk in his office in the M. K. & T. building about 7 o'clock last evening when he received a telephone call from his daughter-in-law. She said that her husband was not at home and that she was worried about him. She finally left her home, 3120 Euclid avenue, and went to Mr. Kirk's office. He talked to her and endeavored to pacify her and then they started home. She suggested that they stroll down to the suspected pool hall and see if David, Jr., was there. Mr. Kirk said last night that the pool hall was brilliantly lighted, the billiard balls racked, but the room was empty.


Mrs. Kirk refused to be satisfied. She opened the door and walked in. A door at one end of the room led to another beyond. The glass panels were painted white and it was impossible to see what was behind them. Mr. Kirk and his daughter-in-law could hear men's voices, the clicking of chips and the shuffling of cards. She knocked on the inside door as it was locked. A man partly opened it, probably expecting to see another poker player to join the crowd, and that act led to the wrecking of the hall later on.

Mr. Kirk succeeded in getting her foot between the door and the jamb, and, assisted by Mr. Kirk, Sr., she pushed the door open. Inside was her husband and four or five other men. They had attempted to conceal all evidence of the gambling that was going on in the room, but overlooked one $5 bill A man remarked that the money belonged to him, but was surprised as the rest when Mrs. Kirk picked up the bill and said he had evidently made a mistake. She placed the money in her chatelaine bag. Mr. Kirk got some poker chips and cards as evidence.


Fearing that the commotion would attract a crowd, Mr. Kirk took his son's wife and started to leave the building. As the two went through the pool hall Mrs. Kirk's anger arose beyond control, and the red and white ivory balls seemed to drive her frantic. Rushing to one of the tables she picked up the balls and began throwing them through the mirrors in the room. Exhausting the supply of balls on the first table she quickly gathered up those on the table next to it and finished all the mirrors in the hall.

Going from one table to another the now enraged woman scooped up the little ivories and pasted them through the plate glass windows and out into the street. After she had thrown every everything she could handle she consented to leave. Mr. Kirk, her father-in-law, says they went to Eighth street and endeavored to find a policeman, but not a sight of one they could catch. Down one block and up another street the two people walked, hunting, searching and looking for a minion of the law, but in vain.


Just as Mr. Kirk, Sr., was calling the grand jury into session Friday morning he was informed that there was an urgent telephone call for him. He answered it and, last night, he said that his son was at the other end of the wire. Young Kirk told his father that Charles W. Prince, owner of the pool hall, was in his office and desired to know what reparation he intended to make for the damage of furniture and building resulting from his wife's actions. The young man wanted his father to tell him what to do. "Mr. Prince wants to talk to you," said the son. The father stated last night that he answered by saying: "If Mr. Prince wants to talk to me, he'll have to do the talking before the grand jury. That was the last Kirk, Sr. heard of Prince. It is not likely that that will be the last Prince will hear of Kirk, Sr., or of the grand jury, either.

When asked what action would be taken by him, Mr. Kirk, Sr., stated that he had called the prosecuting attorney into the grand jury room and told the whole story, shielding no one, asking no mercy for anyone.

Asked if an indictment would be returned by the grand jury against anyone for either gambling or keeping a gambling house, Mr. Kirk stated that the prosecuting attorney had informed the grand jury that Mr. Kirk had not secured enough evidence against anyone to make a conviction in the criminal court. The money, the cards, the chips, the table with its green cloth and white covering were not sufficient evidence, the prosecuting attorney told them. According to Mr. Kirk, to secure a conviction the state would have to have witnesses who could testify that they had seen the men gambling.

David B. Kirk, Jr., is 32 years of age. He is a millers' agent.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

June 22, 1908


Says He Expects to Go to Prison for
His Misdeeds.

Since his arrest last Friday night on a charge of issuing worthless checks the Rev. C. S. L. Brown has made his peace with his Diety and is now calmly awaiting the outcome of his trial. Last night Mr. Brown said he expected to receive a penitentiary sentence. He was arraigned Saturday afternoon before Justice Michael Ross and held under a bond of $750. He has made no attempt to secure his release, and said that he did not care to ask his friends for help. If it is possible Brown intends to keep his mother in ignorance of his trouble until he is a free man. He said last night that he did not want his child to see him until he was out of jail.

In the same cell with the minister is Antonio W. Martin, the young Italian adventurer, who has gained some notoriety by his recent escapades. The two men had figured out the amount owed by the minister on account of the worthless checks he had passed.

That the unfrocked pastor still has friends who are willing to stick by him was shown yesterday by the number of persons who called at the county jail to see him. Among the visitors were four Christian ministers. Mr. Brown said last night that since he had resigned from his charge at Lee's Summit six weeks ago he had spent his time in drinking and gambling, but that he had now mastered these passions and believed when he got out of jail he would go forth a stronger man. He wants a place where he can be busy and not have time to think about the allurements of gambling.

Labels: , , , , ,

June 20, 1908


Rev. Brown, Under Liquor, Is Ar-
rested. Says He Has Passed
Worthless Checks and Played
in Some Stiff Games.

"The way of the transgressor is hard." This was the text of a sermon preached by the Rev. C. S. L. Brown at the West Side Christian church, Twentieth street and Pennsylvania avenue, on Sunday night, October 7, 1906. His subject was "Lights and Shadows of Life, or Positive and Negative Teachings."

Since that memorable night when the Rev. Mr. Brown, who six years before had worked as a porter at the Hotel Baltimore, preached before a large congregation, many of whom were his personal friends, glad of his success, he has found out the hard truth of his text -- "The way of the transgressor is hard."

Last night the Rev. Mr. Brown was arrested at Sixth and Walnut streets by Patrolman Harry Arthur. He was locked up for investigation and spent the night in a cell at Central station. When arrested he was in the street. He had thrown away his hat, his coat was off and he had all but stripped the upper portion of his body of clothing.

It was the same Rev. Mr. Brown who a few months ago stood boldly before his congregation at Lee's Summit, Mo., and acknowledged that he had been gambling and drinking. He was drinking last night. When he occupied the pulpit of Rev. W. O. Thomas here in October, 1906, Rev. Mr. Brown then was pastor of a Christian church at Washington, Kas. His mother, a woman of wealth and culture, lives there now. His wife and four small children are with his mother. He is 30 years old.

The minister admitted last night he had been drinking and gambling in Kansas City almost ever since his downfall at Lee's Summit. He said he had passed about $60 worth of worthless checks. He could recall one for $12.50 on C. J. Mees, a saloonkeeper, Sixth and Walnut; one for $15 on James Riddle, saloon, Independence avenue and McGee street, and two at Lee's Summit.

"I can trace my downfall to the love of a woman," he said, with tears in his eyes. "Then the gamblers got hold of me here and what they have left you see now -- a wreck, beaten, down and out. I am willing to take my medicine like a man and serve my five or ten years, but before God I will not divulge the name of the woman. Her name must be protected, as I alone am to blame.

"When I got in my trouble and had to leave my church and Lee's Summit," he continued, "a minister friend down there went to my mother at Washington, Kas., and got $400 to square things. She told him he could have ten times that amount. With part of that I even paid gambling debts to men here who since have refused to give me 10 cents to buy a dish of chile.

"Gambling! Gambling!" he almost shrieked. "Is there much gambling here? Yes. I could lead you to some of the stiffest games you ever saw and they seem to be running with ease. Of course most of them are in hotels and hard to catch. Yes, I have been before the grand jury with it."

The Rev. Mr. Brown refused to divulge the names of the men who had "trimmed" him here. He said "Their time will come later. He said that he went through the Boer war in the service of England. Then he was a soldier of fortune.

"It was there I contracted the drinking and gambling habits," he admitted with bowed head. "I felt the craving for the old habits returning and battled with them as long as I could. At a weak moment, other troubles begetting me, I fell 'as the angels fell from Heaven to the blackest depths of Hell.' Since then the course has been down, down, down with an awful rush."

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

April 9, 1908


Youth Trundles Winner Around Ar-
mourdale in Wheelbarrow.

From 8 o'clock until noon yesterday a thin young man with nose glasses and a wearied look of regret, trundled a wheelbarrow in which another young man was sitting about the streets and byways of Armourdale. Starting at the Red Cross pharmacy the pair went south to Shawnee, east to St. Paul, north to Kansas avenue and west to Packard. There the youth with the glasses tilted the barrow over on its nose, unbent his back and mopped his brow with a handkerchief.

All this time not a word had been spoken by either party and many people passing on the walks thought they were fakers and dropped in behind to see what they were selling.

In this they were disappointed, however. The lonely occupant of the wheelbarrow said he was M. A. Gillespie of the Red Cross pharmacy, and that his propeller was Frank Bryant, a salesman at the Clanville furniture store at Armourdale.

"Just an election bet I won," said Gillespie. "I've got another bet, if there's any takers. That is, that I got the worst of this transaction. I've had my knees tucked under my chin so long I can't get them straightened out."

Bryant had made a bet with Gillespie that Timothy Lyons would not be re-elected to the city council.

Labels: , , , , ,

April 9, 1908


If He Goes 3,000 Miles in Sixty Days
This Youth Gets $450.

To walk 3,000 miles cross-country from New York city to San Francisco in sixty days is the task which a young man, who arived in Kansas City last evening, says he is now in the midst of on a wager of $450. The continental pedestrian, Frank McAllister, figures the total distance by wagon roads and railroad tracks at 3,000 miles, and that he must cover fifty miles each day to win the purse He is now about three days behind on his schedule, he says.

McAllister said last evening that he had walked from Pleasant Hill, Mo., yesterday, a distance of thirty-five miles. He plans to walk toward Topeka, Kas., today on the Santa Fe tracks, but may remain here a day to rest. He says, if he stays here today, he can be found at the Y. M. C. A. club rooms.

Labels: , , , , ,

April 8, 1908






Mayor -- Crittenden, D ..........................1,320
Police Judge -- Kyle, R ...........................2,213
Treasurer -- Baehr, R ............................1,220
Auditor -- Greene, D ..............................2,478
Attorney -- Langsdale, D .......................1,708
Upper House President, Gregory, D .....1,344

Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., Democrat, was elected mayor of Kansas City yesterday over Mayor Henry M. Beardsley, Republican, by 1,320 majority, with one precinct of the Twelfth ward missing. Harry G. Kyle, Republican, was re-elected police judge over Michael E. Casey, Democrat, and William J. Baehr, Republican, was elected city treasurer over Thomas S. Ridge, Democrat. Kyle's majority was 2,213.

The upper house Democratic ticket, with Robert L. Gregory president, elected three of its candidates, making that branch of the council still Republican. The lower house is overwhelmingly Democratic.

It was a big Democratic victory, and for the first time in four years the Democrats will be back in the city hall for a term of two years one week from next Monday.

While in the city ten days ago Attorney General Hadley warned his Republican friends that the issues advanced were false, and he quietly passed the word that if they were persisted in it could mean nothing but defeat. The result proves that Hadley was right.

Overcast clouds and intermittent showers ushered in the day. Despite the unfavorable aspect of the weather, voters were up and astir long before the break of day, and at 6 o'clock, when the polls opened, the voting places of the 164 precincts in the fourteen wards were besieged by long and patient lines of men awaiting the time and opportunity to cast their ballots.

The voting was rapid, the record in some precincts being one to the minute. Merchant, banker, professional man vied with the laborer to get to the ballot boxes.


In a majority of the precincts over half the total registration had been voted by noon, and from that time to the close of the polls at 7 o'clock the voting was by jerks and starts. It was stated in some of the precincts as early as 6 o'clock that all the votes that could be depended upon to be cast had been delivered, and this seemed true, for the judges, clerks and workers sat around idle.

Assertions of fraud were made during the early hours, and some arrests resulted It was charged that men had tendered money for votes, and that voters had accepted money. The early arrests of these offenders put a stop to any more such work so far as was observable, although at several times during the day Alderman Pendergast openly charged that Republicans were paying $3 a piece for negro votes in the First ward. Watchers sent into the ward by the Civic League said they had seen no vote-buying.


Up to noon the Republican headquarters felt sure of victory and the Democrats felt uneasy The first alarm was felt at 1111 Grand when the Republican precinct workers telephoned in that the noon hour vote of business men was against the Republican ticket. The excuse offered was that retail merchants were in a revolt against an evening newspaper.

The Democrats had not counted on this vote at all. As soon as they saw they were getting it they sent their runners into the stores after the clerks. With oodles of money to pay for carriages and automobiles to hurry them to their home wards, the Democrats found the store proprietors willing to let the men off to vote. It was a fully fledged rebellion in the Republican party.

As early as 4 o'clock it was announced at Democratic headquarters that the Democratic ticket was in the ascendancy. News came that Walter Dickey, Republican state chairman, had joined Mayor Beardsley in the Ninth ward, and with it came the news that negroes were beginning to vote the Republican ticket there. Dickey was understood to have wagered, for friends, about $18,000. One negro said he had been offered $8 for his vote. High as this was, $8 apiece for votes to save heavy bets would not be out of the way. There was Democratic money seen in the ward immediately. Twenty-four negroes voted the Democratic ticket straight at Fifteenth and Tracy. This looked like commercialism, but the retort was that the Republicans were at the same game. Governor Folk was hurried to the ward to see Democratic tickets voted by negroes. He expressed surprise.

There were only three fights reported at either headquarters, and both headquarters said they had heard of very little challenging. This presaged clear tally sheets, an early count and all judges signing.


At 7 o'clock the mayor arrived at 1111 Grand, thinking he had squeezed through, but by 8 o'clock he admitted to a Journal man that "it looks blue." An hour later he conceded his defeat. This was while he sat in headquarters with a crowd taxing the capacity of the big hall.

Crittenden was sent for. He was not able to get to the Democratic headquarters until about 10 o'clock, just as Mayor Beardsley was leaving his own headquarters, a defeated man.


The rival city chairmen, the rival candidates for mayor, the commissioners and governor Folk all admitted that there had been a reasonably fair election, marked by the absence of repeating and ruffianism. The most sensational spectacle at night was of Republicans going in squads to the Democratic headquarters to share in the demonstrations of victory. Full importance was given at the Republican headquarters to the weight the defeat will have on the Republican chances this fall, unless there is a new alignment and new issues found... while the Democrats claimed to see ahead far enough to make James A. Reed United States senator. Reed arrived at his headquarters about 10 o'clock. He was called on for a speech and made one from his automobile. He congratulated the entire party upon its success as an organization as a whole, but credited the enormous majority, by comparison, to the opposition of an evening newspaper. When afterwards Mr. Reed went past Eleventh and Grand on his triumphal tour, his car was halted and once more he was compelled to make a speech. He repeated what he had said at Democratic headquarters. From there he went to The Journal office, arriving just as two Democratic bands and processions met, one from Democratic headquarters, traveling from the west, and another form the Sixth ward, headed by the Italian band, coming from the east. The meeting was unexpected and most dramatic. From The Journal the crowd went back to Democratic headquarters and at midnight it was roving about the city.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

April 7, 1908


Chairman Taylor Predicts
2,000 for Beardsley, Ross
5,000 for Crittenden.

Election day weather prediction -- Cloudy, and possible showers.

Polls open at 6 a. m. and close at 7 p. m.

Predicted that 44,000 votes will be cast in the 164 voting precints of the city.
Beardsley and the entire general Republican ticket will be elected by over 2,000 majority. I have a complete poll of the city made by men experienced in such work. The majorities for Beardsley in that portion of the city south of the Belt line and east of Woodland will be surprisingly large. --Clyde Taylor, Chairman Republican City Central Committee.
Crittenden will be elected by 5,000 majority and the whole Democratic ticket as well will be elected. We figure we will carry the First, Second, Third, Fourth, Sixth, Seventh, Ninth, Eleventh, Thirteenth and Fourteenth wards. We concede the loss of the Tenth ward, but believe that Morris, Republican nominee for lower house alderman, will be beaten.
The sentiment for the election of Mr. Crittenden is growing hourly, and we predict his election y no less than 5,000 majority. -- Michael Ross, Chairman Democratic City Central Committee.

The foregoing is the forcasts of the chairman of the Republican and Demoratic city central committees on the outcome of today's municipal election. They are given for what they are worth. Laymen say the race between Beardsley and Crittenden for mayor is to be close, and politicians who have made a study of the conditions say likewise.

Betting men have been laying odds on Crittenden, but yesterday the prevailing odds of $100 to $80 on Crittenden were wiped out and the betting was even money. It was said about the pool rooms and places where men speculate on elections that it was the Democrats themselves who wiped out the odds after hearing that Republicans had large sums of money to wager, but the Republicans claimed that it was their oldness and willingness to bet that made the Democratic speculators withdraw the odds.

Nothing new or sensational was infused into the campaign yesterday. There was a delightful absense of the day before election roorbacks, and one of the most spectacular mud-slinging campaigns that Kansas City has seen in years had a rather peaceful close.

Polls will open at 6 o'clock this morning and close at 7 o'clock tonight, just thirteen hours of voting. Prophets on matters political are predicting that if the weather is fine 44,000 ballots will be cast, and that scratched votes will be an observable feature of the day.

Labels: , , , ,

April 1, 1908


Money Is Offered With Few Takers,
Pendergast's Odds.

Bets were being freely offered yesterday at even money as to the result for mayor and candidates on the main city ticket. The bulk of the cash seemed to be in the hands of the Crittenden supporters. Bets of $500 even on the Democratic nominee went begging, but smaller ones of $10, $20 and $50 were quickly called. A well known contractor visited the city hall, saying that he had $2,000 to bet on Crittenden in any sums convenient to Beardsley's supporters. After betting $50, the contractor ceased his bluffing, but promised to call again.

In a pool hall on Delaware street these bets were posted yesterday:

One hundred dollars, even, that Crittenden beats Beardsley.

Fifty dollars, even, Baehr, Republican, beats Ridge, Democrat for city treasurer.

One hundred dollars to 45 that Pendergast, Democrat, beats Rodman, Republican, for alderman of First ward.

Twenty-five dollars, even, Green, Republican, beats Hayes, Democrat, for alderman of Eighth ward.

Fifty dollars, even, that Woolf, Republican. beats beats Norton, Democrat, for alderman of Third ward.

Thirty dollars to $50 that Green beats Hayes.

Twenty-five dollars, even, that Kyle, Republican, beats Casey, Democrat, for police judge.

Labels: , , , , ,

January 31, 1908


Harry Hopkins Makes Out a Poor
Case Against His Comrades.

The negroes charged with throwing Harry Hopkins, 18 years old, over a twenty-foot embankment after assaulting and cutting him, at 919 Oak street, Nov. 16, were discharged yesterday by Justice Shoemaker. They were Dave Foster and Cleve Penn.

Hopkins worked under his father at the postoffice in the special delivery department. Foster, the negro, had also been employed at that work, and there was evidence that they had been very intimate, even spending nights together in the basement of the Keith and Perry Building, where special delivery boys gathered to gamble and drink.

The two boys, the afternoon of Nov 16, were locked in a room at 919 Oak street with two negro women where there was drinking and card playing. The evidence upon which the judge ordered a discharge was coroborated by five witnesses. It was that Cleve Penn, regular attendant of one of the girls, came from work in the barber shop in the Long Building, rapped, told who he was and Hopkins, evidently under the influence of liquor and fright, jumped through a window, ran around two houses and at full sped plunged into Oak street, twenty feet below. Here he was found by strangers, both wrists cut, his left ankle, right leg and right arm broken. He was treated at the Emergency hospital and taken to the German Hospital, where his life was several times despaired of.

Hopkin's testimony was that he had gone to the place to collect $2 from "Cyclone Dave" Foster, who, he asserted, ruled over a number of the special delivery boys, caling himself the "Invincible King." "Bull of the Mill," a professional pugilist, making them at times pay him money. "Cyclone Dave," however, had a witness to prove that Hopkins that morning got $2 of his money on a note sent to a tailor on Twelfth street. This, he said, was spent for candy and liquor for the girls.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

December 21, 1907


Only Two of the Defendants Appeared
in Court.

After continuing their cases for one week to see why they could not be tried in the state court, Judge Kyle yesterday tried the four men found with a policy wheel and other gambling paraphernalia in the room of the former Police Judge T. B. McAuley, at 903 Broadway, about noon on December 12.

Only two of the defendants, Charles Morton and John Bell, appeared in court. J. R. Heath, attorney for the policy men, entered appearance for John Findlay, son of Edward Findlay, formerly known as the "policy king," who, when arrested, gave the name of "Bill Wilson," and Randall Daniels, an aged expressman.

The four men were fined $100 each. Their cases were all appealed to the criminal court. Edward Findlay was a spectator at the trial, but had nothing to say. None of the defendants was put on the stand.

Labels: , , ,

December 15, 1907


Twice Within a Week the Police Raid
a Central Street Place.

For the second time within a week, a raid was made upon an alleged gambling resort at 715 Central street, by the police last night, when prisoners taken, card tables and poker chips confiscated when Sergeants McCosgrove and Ryan and seven patrolmen broke into the place last night they found brand new paraphernalia, including a "kitty," and the usual accessories of a poker game. Al Thompson, said to be a gamekeeper, G. H. Smith and R. T. Jones, frequenters, were taken to police headquarters. All these names are said to be fictitious. Thompson gave a cash bond of $51 and the others $11 each for appearance in police court in the morning.

Labels: , ,

November 25, 1907


Gambling Paraphernalia Captured in
Eighteenth Street Raid.

In a raid upon an alleged gambling house over a saloon at 1412 East Eighteenth street, Police Sergeant Smith and Patrolmen Dyson, Dyer, Dorset and Couch captured four frequenters and paraphernalia. They raid was made early Sunday morning and, in addition to the customary appointments of a poker room, a goodly store of intoxicating liquors was also seized and confiscated.

When the police entered the room they found evidence that a prosperous poker game had just been in progress. William Rowlins said to be the game keeper, and four men found in the room were placed under arrest. A poker table, twelve bottles of beer,a quart of whisky, poker chips and playing cards which were found in the room were taken to headquarters police station. Rowling gave bond in the sum of $51. The others were released on small personal bonds.

Labels: , , ,

November 6, 1907


Man Says He Lost $110 in
Cigar Store Game.

On the testimony of David Wirchner of 705 Tracy avenue in police court yesterday morning, W. E. Jenkins, a cigar dealer at Eighth and Walnut streets, was fined $50 on a charge of gambling.

"I lost $110 in the store owned by Jenkins at 714 Walnut street," Wirchner said. "We were playing 'chuck-a-luck,' but some one else had the luck; I didn't. The way things looked to me I might as well have bet that I could jump off the top of a skyscraper and escape uninjured."

Wirchner has also placed the case before the grand jury. An appeal was taken to the criminal court.

Labels: , , , , ,

September 7, 1907


Negro Crap Shooter's Desperate Leap
to Escape Arrest.

"Jigger for the bull."

That was the warning in North end parlance that a negro sounded when Patrolman Eads came upon a crap game back of the Institutional church, Admiral boulevard and Holmes street, last night. It meant, "Run, a policeman is coming." Behind Eads was Patrolman Phillips.

"Oh, jigger for two bulls," was the second exclamation, and a half dozen negroes "jiggered."

Back of the church is an embankment supported by a wall thirty feet high. One negro jumped over this wall and landed on the roof of a coal house.

"From the noises made, I thought every bone in his body was broken," Eads said, "but I guess I was mistaken. I could see him from the top of the wall. I told him to consider himself under arrest. He climbed from the roof. He had scarcely touched the ground, when a bulldog seized his pants above the legs. The negro just simply ran away with that dog. He did not give him a chance to let go. The negro and the dog disappeared in the darkness. Now, I suppose there will be a stolen dog reported in the morning."

Labels: , , , , ,

September 3, 1907


Police Say Ten Players Were Occu-
pied With Cards When Arrested.

An alleged poker game in room 505, Victoria hotel, was raided last night by Detectives Godley Phelan, Lyngar and McGraw. The detectives were equiped with a city warrant and walked in on the players when they were their busiest. Two cases of cards, boxes of chips, blank checks and other paraphernalia such as is to be found in a fully-equipped poker room were confiscated.

The gamekeeper and nine players were arrested and taken to the police station. W. M. Jones, alleged gamekeeper, was released on $26 bond and the players on bonds of $11.

Labels: , ,

June 26, 1907


Rumor of Edwards Having Bucketful
of Diamonds Wrong.

The widow of Sandy Edwards, the negro gambler who was killed by Leon Jordan, yesterday opened the safe in their house, which was rumored to contain a bucketful of diamonds and found only one diamond. This was one which Sandy had loaned a clerk $10 on some months ago. The safe contained little of value, but had a bulk of curiosities.

There were coins of all nations and ages, some as old as 1822. There was Confederate money and 25-cent "shin plasters." One-dollar American gold coins and gold coins from foreign lands were found in quantity.



Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory