Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

December 23, 1909


Inmates Released to Allow Them a
Merry Christmas.

There is not a boy in the detention home. The youthful prisoners have all been released on the promise to report Monday in juvenile court.

"This has been our custom every year the week before Christmas," said Dr. E. L. Mathias, chief probation officer, yesterday. "We want every boy in town, however bad, to be given a chance to celebrate Christmas day. There will be as few arrests as possible this week."

Labels: , , ,

December 17, 1909


Master and Faithful Dog May Be
Separated Indefinitely.

"Lawrence Hansen, I am afraid, will have to go to Boonville."

Dr. E. L. Mathias, chief probation officer, made this statement yesterday when asked what would be done with the Kansas City, Kas., youngster who ran away from his home Monday night with $5 of his mother's money.

"We had him once at the McCune farm, but he ran away. The only place for him, now that he has violated his parole, is the reform school."

"Will he be given back his dog, Jack?" was asked.

The doctor laughed.

"I want to tell you I have been in hot water all day. There was a woman down here at 7:30 o'clock this morning demanding that I give the boy his dog. Several persons stopped me on the street to inquire what I intended to do."

But Dr. Mathias would not say whether he would reunite dog and master. If Lawrence is sent to the reform school by the juvenile court, it will be impossible to keep the two together. Lawrence will be kept locked up at the Detention home until Monday, when Judge E. E. Porterfield will decide his fate.

Labels: , , , , , ,

December 15, 1909



Leaves at Night by Bedroom Win-
dow and Is Found Next Day
Playing in Street With

When Lawrence Hansen, 10 year of age, was released three weeks ago from the Detention home, where he was placed after being arrested for "playing hookey" from school, agreed to give "Jack," his fox terrier, to a neighbor. To get Lawrence away from his former bad associates, of whom one was his pet dog, Mrs. Hansen removed to Kansas City, Kas.

For two weeks following his parole Lawrence was a model boy. He attended school regularly and minded his mother. Then came the relapse. The separation from "Jack" could not be borne. Last Monday night Lawrence packed a few of his belongings, lowered them from his bedroom window, stole downstairs in his stocking feet and took $5 from his mother's dresser.

The juvenile officers in Kansas City, Mo., were warned Tuesday to be on the lookout for the boy, but not until yesterday could trace of him be found, when word came that the boy was at 410 Troost avenue where he had been seen playing with "Jack." Juvenile Officer Holt arrested the boy yesterday afternoon and took him to the Detention home.

With tears in his eyes Lawrence was taken before Dr. E. L. Mathias, chief probation officer. "Jack" had been left behind.

"I want my dog," he pleaded with the juvenile officer. "I want Jack."

When told that he could not have "Jack," he cried his eyes red. And he continued to cry for an hour after being locked up in the detention room. Finally, when told that he would never get to see the dog again unless he quit crying, the boy dried his tears and became his amiable self.

"That boy is a proposition," said Dr. Mathias. "When he has his dog he is a good boy, but he will not be separated. I expect that the dog will have to be returned to him."

"Jack" has neither pedigree nor physical attraction. The boy several months ago picked him up on a downtown street and took him home. But for all his attention, three meals a day and a blanket to sleep on, the dog could never take on the polish of society and culture. He is still an unpedigreed mongrel of the gutter, but for all that, the inseparable chum.

Arrested three weeks ago for truancy, Lawrence told the juvenile officers he would not go to school because he couldn't take "Jack." The boy and his dog were locked in the same cell, where they ate the same food and shared the same bed, three days and three nights. They were companions in misery. That disregard of law and the rights of others, engendered into the dog from his own life on the streets, was bred by association into the life of his little companion.

"Who is responsible, the boy or the dog?" is the question that the juvenile officers are asking.

Lawrence will be given a hearing next Monday in the juvenile court.

Labels: , , , , , ,

November 26, 1909



Various Institutions Served Thanks-
giving Dinners -- Children Had
Their Fill of Chicken -- Pris-
oners Not Forgotten.

The unfortunate who are in institutions and the unlucky who happened to be in jail yesterday were not overlooked Thanksgiving day. While a regular turkey and cranberry sauce dinner was not served at all places, on account of the high price of the bird, a good, wholesome, fattening meal was served, where turkey was absent.

In the holdover at police headquarters there were forty prisoners, all but five men. when noontime arrived the following was served to a surprised and hungry bunch: Turkey and cranberry sauce, real biscuits and hot cakes, baked potatoes, hot mince pie and coffee with real cream.

Out at the city workhouse there were 107 men and eighteen women prisoners to be served, too many for turkey at prevailing prices. They were all given their fill, however, of the following menu: Roast pork with dressing, baked Irish potatoes, bakes sweet potatoes, vegetable soup, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, coffee.

A real turkey dinner with cranberry, baked potatoes, celery, vegetables, pie, and coffee with genuine cream was served to the 109 prisoners in the county jail. After appetites had been appeased the men and women put in the rest of the day singing old-time hymns. It has been truthfully said that no old-time hymn can be started in the county jail but that enough voiced immediately join in to make it a success. And they always know the words and the chorus.


There were but seven children in the Detention home yesterday, but they were not overlooked. The matron saw that they were served with turkey, vegetables, mince pie, coffee, etc.

At the Salvation Army Industrial home, 1709 Walnut street, fifty-five men, and employes of the institution, sat down to Thanksgiving dinner.

"We had turkey, cranberries, potatoes, celery and other vegetables, bread and butter, mince pie, cake, coffee, candy, nuts and apples," said one of the men. "And we got all we wanted, too."

The Salvation Army proper served no Thanksgiving dinner to the poor yesterday, as it makes a specialty of its big Christmas dinner. Baskets are also given out at that time. Wednesday and yesterday baskets were sent out to a few homes where it was known food was needed.

Probably the happiest lot of diners in the entire city were the twenty little children at the Institutional church, Admiral boulevard and Holmes street. While they laughed and played, they partook of these good things: Chicken with dressing, cranberry sauce, sweet and Irish potatoes, celery, olives, salad, oysters, tea, apple pie a la mode, mints, stuffed dates and salted almonds.


The dining room was prettily decorated with flowers, and Miss Louise Mayers, a nurse, and Miss Mae Shelton, a deaconess, saw to the wants of the little ones. After the feast all of them took an afternoon nap, which is customary. When they awoke a special musical programme was rendered, and the children were allowed to romp and play games. Those who had space left -- and it is reported all had, as they are healthy children -- were given all the nuts candy and popcorn they could eat.

"I wist Tanksgivin' comed ever day for all th' time there is," said one rosy-cheeked but sleepy little boy when being prepared for bed last night.

Over 200 hungry men at the Helping Hand Institute yesterday were served with soup and tomatoes, escalloped oysters, roast beef, celery, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, cream turnips,cabbage stew, bread, butter, pumpkin pie and coffee.

Out at the General hospital, the convalescent patients were allowed to eat a genuine turkey dinner but those on diet had to stick to poached eggs, toast, milk and the like. A regular Thanksgiving dinner was served to the convalescent at all the hospitals yesterday.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

November 21, 1909


Mutiny Among Juvenile Inmates
Feared at Detention Home.

Lawrence Hansen, ten years old, and his dog Jack, who have been held the last three days as prisoners at the detention home, were given liberty.

The last two nights, when the other inmates of the home were in bed, the little fox terrier would bark and howl. To prevent an insurrection among the juvenile prisoners it was decided yesterday to let the dog and his master go home. They are to be in the juvenile court Monday.

The boy was arrested by probation officers for truancy from school.

Labels: , ,

November 18, 1909


Canine Served Similar Meal to
Master in Truant Home.

Two meals were sent yesterday to the cell occupied by Lawrence Hansen, 10 years old, the boy taken Tuesday to the detention home for truancy. One meal was for the boy; the other for his dog, Jack. The dog is given the exact bill of fare served his master.

Lawrence will be held until next Monday, when he is to be tried before the juvenile judge. His dog will stay with him. The dog apparently enjoys the situation. He frisked around during the day and at night slept at the foot of his master's bed. As long as he is not parted from Lawrence, the dog seems happy and contented.

Labels: , , , ,

November 16, 1909



Two Pals, Lawrence and Jack, Re-
ceive Same Sentence in Juvenile
Court and Do Penance

One of the newest types of juvenile offenders, a small fox terrier, whose master is Lawrence Hanson of Fifth and Gilliss streets, was locked up yesterday at the detention home by the juvenile officers. "Jack," for that is the dog's name, is charged with being an accessory before the fact. His master has been playing "hookey" from school, and Jack has been held responsible.

Yesterday morning Lawrence Hanson, 10 years of age, and Jack, were brought to the detention home. The boy has been attending the Karnes school. The past month he is said to have been absent more days than he has been present.

"Why won't you go to school?" asked the juvenile officer.

The boy sniffled. Suddenly there was an outpouring of tears and the little chap hid his face in his sleeve.

"They won't let me take Jack with me. And I said I wouldn't go to school unless he could go too."

Jack, who had followed the boy to his home, sat at his master's feet. He looked up into the little boy's face. When Lawrence began to cry, Jack also was affected. He jumped up into the boy's lap and slipping his nose under his master's sleeve, licked away the tears as fast as they came.

The dog appeared to take the disgrace even worse than the boy for Jack had been charged with being an accessory before the fact. It was he who had caused his master's arrest.

Presently the clouds disappeared. The boy dried his eyes. Lawrence smiled. The dog jumped down from the boy's lap. He wagged his tail vigorously.

It was decided to lock the little boy in a cell with the other incorrigibles.

"But what should be done with Jack?" was asked.

"The dog seems equally guilty with the boy," suggested Dr. E. L. Mathias, chief probation officer. "It seems to me that he should suffer as well as his master."

So Jack was locked up with his master. The boy considered it a disgrace. But not so with the dog. He skipped up the stairs ahead of the boy and the officers.

Yesterday afternoon, dog and master sat together. The dog was cuddled in the boy's arms, sleeping peacefully. He did not realize that he was doing penance for leading his young master astray.

Labels: , , , , , ,

September 20, 1909


Commissioner Says Mrs. Burns Dis-
obeyed Orders in Various Ways.
She's Off the Force.

Mrs. Elizabeth Burns, for nearly two years a police matron, resigned yesterday upon the request of Thomas R. Marks, police commissioner. Mrs. Burns left police headquarters soon after and went to her home, 1509 Harrison street.

Mrs. Burns said she was accused by Mr. Marks of having allowed a reporter for The Journal to talk with Ethelyn Collins, held by the police as a material witness. The Journal printed no interview with the Collins girl. It was said that strict orders had been given that no one except police officers should talk with the Collins girl.

"I left the matron's room but a minute Saturday night," Mrs. Burns said. Mrs. Maud Fontella, where the Collins girl lived, brought the girl $31. As prisoners are not allowed to have money at police headquarters, I asked Henry C. Smith, a special investigator for the police board, who brought Mrs. Fontella to the matron's room, to wait in the room until I got back.

"When I returned three minutes later a reporter for The Journal was talking to Smith. So far as I know he did not talk to the girl nor make any effort to. I told him he could not talk to her and he laughed and said he 'had the whole story.'

"When Mr. Marks asked for my resignation, I was so stunned that I complied without thinking that he was not the entire board. I would not work at headquarters again, but I would like to be tried by the police board in order that my record may be cleared, as I am guiltless of any charge made."

Mrs. Burns is the widow of William Burns, for many years a member of the police force and a captain at the time of his death. She has four children.

Commissioner Marks denied last night that he had taken into consideration the fact that a Journal reporter had talked to the girl, in the presence of Henry Smith, a patrolman, when he asked Mrs. Burns for her resignation. He said that as far as he was concerned the fact that she had allowed a visitor to see Tony Cruie against expressed orders was not used against her.

She had allowed two men, one an old man and the other a young one, to speak with the girl against orders, he said, and had disobeyed orders in other ways, he intimated.

Soon after taking oath as a commissioner Mr. Marks informed reports that there would soon be two good-hearted matrons at police headquarters. It was rumored last night in police circles that Mrs. Joanna Moran was to be asked for her resignation also. Mrs. Burns and Capt. Walter Whitsett have had little difficulties several times.

Soon after Mrs. Burns left the station yesterday, Mrs. J. K. Ellwood, formerly matron of the detention home, was sent for by Mr. Marks. Her husband is the secretary to Inspector E. P. Boyle. She was placed in charge of the matron's room and spent the night at the station.

She said that Mr. Marks had asked her for forty-eight hours of her time, and then she was to be through. Asked if she expected to receive the appointment as a permanent position she refused to answer.

Labels: , , , , , ,

September 6, 1909


Detention Home Boys Nearly Ready
to Escape When Discovered.

Restlessness upon the part of the youths held in the Detention home often causes the superintendent, P. K. George, great uneasiness. If he has boys who have been in the home for several days Mr. George gets up from his slumbers two or three times during the night to see how his young charges are behaving. And on several trips of this kind he has succeeded in heading off an escape of the juveniles.

Last week he was making one of his nightly rounds about 4:30 o'clock in the morning. Going into the boys' dormitory the superintendent found one diligently engaged in tearing away the plaster beneath the window. He had already torn away part of the woodwork of the window sill and in five minutes more would have been out.

"The boys behave fairly well until they have been here two or three days. Then they get restless and want to break out," said the superintendent.

Labels: ,

August 21, 1909


Weary Willie Is No Good to Any-
body, Court to Youngster.

"Uncle liked sister, and my aunt liked me. It got so that uncle always took the other side when I said anything. So I just left."

That's the way Jean Corwin Miller, 13 years old, late of Calvert, Morton county, Kas., began his story yesterday in the juvenile court. Both his parents are dead. He and a sister were living with Jasper A. Miller, a farmer at Calvert.

"I had $3 when I left," said the boy. "I rode on the cars to Colby, walked to Manhattan, and rode the cars again to Lawrence. When I got there I found I was 10 cents short of the fare to Kansas City. A man gave me the dime."

"Well," said Judge Porterfield, "where did you want to go?"

"To Mrs. Ella Hogan, my aunt, in Ottawa, Kas."

After a talk with the boy, who is bright for his age, and seemed rather homesick, the court ordered him kept at the Detention home until his relatives could come for him.

"You don't want to start out in life as a bum," said the judge. "Grow up into a man and make something of yourself. Bums are of no good to anybody."

Labels: , , ,

August 18, 1909



Public Sentiment Toward C. F. Mor-
ris So Unpleasant in Nevada and
Chillicothe He Leaves -- Mis-
understood, He Says.

Practically driven from Chillicothe and Nevada, Mo., towns in which he formerly lived, C. F. Morris, the father who wanted to give away his unborn baby, has come to Kansas City. He was at the Detention home yesterday afternoon and saw Mrs. Agnes O'Dell, probation officer, with regard to putting Mrs. Morris in a hospital.

"I was misunderstood," said Morris, who last week wrote to Mrs. O'Dell that he wanted her to find a home for the child. "Doctors advised me wrongly and I did not know well enough to disregard their advice. Of course I want the child now.

"After my letter to the probation office here was published, things were made so unpleasant for me that we left Chilllicothe and went to Nevada, where we were married September 1 of last year and where we lived until four months ago. The unpleasant story was repeated in Nevada and I decided to come here."


Morris has written a letter to Mrs. O'Dell explaining his side of the matter, but she has not yet received it. Following is a copy as Morris gave it out to the Chillicothe papers:

"Mr. Dear Friend -- I received your answer Sunday morning and will say in regard to same you do not know what sadness has come over our home. You surely misunderstood. I never wanted you to take the child before it was born. My wife has always wanted a babe and I have never censured her or hinted to her that I didn't.

"And she wouldn't give it up for the world. We have always lived such a happy life and have never done anything to harm anyone. But, Mrs. O'Dell, through your kindness, I see my mistake. If I could only have had some kind of woman like you to advise me instead of the doctors I would never have thought of such a thing. We have always made so many friends wherever we have lived. It was all my fault. Kindly forgive me and write to Chillicothe if you wish to see if our reputations isn't of the best. The only reason in the world I had for giving up the babe, Mrs. O'Dell, was that I never wanted one.

"But I assure you that I do want one now and I will worship this one as long as I live. You know the public is always ready to tramp a man when he is down, but I know you are not of this kind. Won't you please write my wife and encourage her? She is so worried I am afraid she will never stand it. I thank the papers very kindly for not signing any names and some day I may be able to do them a favor. Now Mrs. O'Dell, thank you once more for this letter and assuring you our baby will be welcome in our home. I beg to remain your best friend, asking you to forgive me and if you can help me in any way. Your kindness will never be forgotten.

"P. S. -- We have received a dozen letters today from people who wanted to adopt our baby for a money consideration. I did not answer any of these letters. If I had I would have said to each of the parties, 'No, our child is not for sale.' It will be the happiness of our lives now."

Labels: , , , ,

August 15, 1909


Offer to Give Away Unborn Child
Staggers the Judge.

On the advice of Judge E. E. Porterfield, a letter received yesterday at the Detention home has been forwarded to the prosecuting attorney at Chillicothe with a request to investigate the case of a man who wants to give a baby, not yet born.

The letter states that the wife of the writer expects to become a mother within ten days and adds that, as the couple does not wish children, they would like to have the child adopted. It was mailed in Chillicothe Friday, and is directed to Mrs. Agnes O'Dell at the Detention home. The writer offers to pay Mrs. O'Dell liberally if she will nurse his wife in her illness and assist in getting the child adopted.

An answer was sent to the writer of the letter yesterday and others to county officials in Chillicothe. Judge Porterfield said he had never heard of such a case of cruelty.

Labels: , ,

August 4, 1909


Boy Who Won Prize Clubbed by
Boy Who Lost.

It was both lucky and unlucky that Carl Adams won an athletic prize at the boys' summer camp yesterday. The prize was a dime, and the contest was to see which boy could stand the longest time with his arms outstretched.

Carl stood the test for eleven minutes. Jim Paulos, a Greek, who sought to re-establish the Athenian championship, could do no better than 10:22. So Jim picked up a stick and hit the winner between the shoulders.

Dr. E. L. Mathias, probation officer, dressed Carl's injuries at the detention home. The Greek will act as one of the waiters at the camp all week as punishment. The other boy is not much hurt.

Labels: , , , ,

February 23, 1909


Orphan Boy Nearly Starved, Wanted
to See Aunt.

A three weeks' existence in Kansas City with no food except what he was able to beg, was the experience of Henry Weatherby, 13 years old, who started last Monday to walk to Omaha, where an aunt is living. The boy was found near Wolcott, Kas., and was brought to Kansas City yesterday afternoon by John Merrett, foreman of a construction company. He was sent to the Detention home.

"My father died three weeks ago," the little fellow said. "He was a stationary engineer, and we had been in Kansas City about six weeks, when he took sick with pneumonia. We were living at Sixth street and Forest avenue, and had come from Omaha, where my mother died eight years ago. I started to attend the Woodland school, but had to stop when my father got sick.

"After his death there wasn't any money left, and I've been trying to live without letting the boys know I was in so much trouble. I tried to get work, but couldn't and at last I decided to start for Omaha. Two or three times I went over a day without anything to eat.

"Yesterday morning I started out on my journey, and was able to get as far as Wolcott, when it got dark. I was glad when I found the construction gang's boat on the river, and they took me on board and gave me something to eat."

The boy was in tears during the recital of his troubles, and no one doubted his story. Dr. E. L. Mathias of the Detention home will communicate with the boy's aunt today.

Labels: , , , , , ,

December 31, 1908


New Presiding Officer for Juvenile
Court Must Be Chosen.

For the last time, Judge H. L. McCune will hold juvenile court today. He has been at the head of this work for two years, and the history of the Kansas City child's court is the history of his tribunal, for there has been no other regular judge since the juvenile law went into effect. Judge McCune goes out of office the first of the year. His successor will be chosen by the circuit judges from among their number. Judges John G. Park, Republican, and E. E. Porterfield, Democrat, are most frequently spoken of for that place.

Dr. E. L. Mathias, probation officer, yesterday completed his annual report, which will be handed to Judge McCune for approval today. The report shows that 1,155 cases were handled during the year in court and 851 settled out of court, making a total of 2,006. The report shows the disposition of those handled through the court. The register of the Detention home shows that 977 children have been booked there during the year.

As a general thing the report shows that children who have a father but no mother living are less in evidence in the juvenile court. Ninety living with the father were brought to the attention of the probation officers, while 131 who lived with the mother, the father being dead, were in court.

Labels: , , , , , ,

December 19, 1908


Half Brother of the Man Slain in the
Riot Will Raise Them.

Thomas M. Pratt, a half-brother of Louis Pratt, was given the custody of the four Pratt children in the juvenile court yesterday. The little ones have been in the Detention home since shortly after the riot of nearly two weeks ago, in which their father was mortally wounded. Thomas Pratt offered to rear the children and the court turned the bright looking youngsters over to him.

Mrs. Della Pratt, mother of the children, was also in court. She said she and her husband got their "Adam God" belief from John Pratt, her brother-in-law. James Sharp, leader of the fanatic band, imparted the creed to John Pratt. Previous to this time the Pratts had been "Holiness" folks. She said she found both beliefs were "false worship."

Lena Pratt, who had a revolver in the fight, said Sharp had taught the band that salvation would come to the world only after bloodshed and that everybody was to shoot after he started firing. The 12-year-old girl said she was convinced Sharp's belief was false.

Thomas Pratt, who was given care of the children, said that, so far as he knew, there had never been a taint of insanity in his family. Both his half-brothers, he said, were converted to Methodism a decade ago and later seemed to go to extremes on the subject of religion.

Labels: , , , , ,

December 16, 1908


After Being Discharged by a Justice,
Information Was Filed by

Informations charging murder in the first degree were filed yesterday by I. B. Kimbrell, prosecuting attorney, against Mrs. Della Pratt and William Enghnell, members of the band of fanatics headed by James Sharp. Mrs. Pratt and Enghnell had a preliminary hearing Saturday before Justice Theodore Remley and yesterday the justice ordered their release. However, both are in the county jail awaiting trial upon the informations filed by the prosecutor.

Sharp, his wife and the two others accused of first degree murder, will not be tried before January. It would be almost impossible to have the cases ready for trial before that time, so attorneys and prosecutors agree.

While the adult members of the band are in jail, the four Pratt children are having the time of their lives at the Detention home. Under the guidance of J. K. Ellwood, superintendent, they are imbibing knowledge at a rapid rate. In eight days the larger ones have learned to read and write.

Requests from person who wish to adopt the children continue to come to the probation officers. George M. Holt received a letter yesterday from G. H. Walser of Liberal, Mo., asking for all the children. He promises that they shall not be separated and offers to provide the best of care. This application is only one of twenty.

Dr. B. H. Zwart, coroner, said last night that the inquest of all five victims of the riot would be held tomorrow morning at 9 o'clock. The inquest will include an inquiry into the death of Lulu Pratt, who was killed while attempting to escape in a boat in company of her mother.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

December 15, 1908


Probation Officer Believes She Should
Not Be Parted From Her

Toys in profusion are being sent to the Detention home for the four children of Mrs. Della Pratt, members of the band of fanatics who caused a street riot last Tuesday. In many cases no names are attached to the presents. The list of Christmas things includes xylophones, dolls and other creations of the toy maker which children in houseboats are not commonly supposed to have enjoyed.

The Pratts are getting along famously. The larger children are devouring their primers with lightning speed and it will not be long, at their present rate of progress, before they will be as far advanced with their studies as other children of their age. They seem quiet and well behaved and give the probation officers no trouble.

"We will have to enlarge the building if the contribution of toys keep coming in," said Dr. E. L. Mathias, probation officer, yesterday. Just then Mrs. J. K. Ellwood, the matron, came into the doctor's office and seized the city directory. "Need it for a high chair," she said. It was for one of the Pratt babies.

It is the opinion of Dr. Mathias that the Pratt family should be reunited. "Of course the children will be in the juvenile court on Friday and the mother is in jail. But if she is not prosecuted I would favor making the little ones wards of the court and aiding the mother to provide a home for them. Given the chance these children would behave like normal human beings of their age. They could go to school and their mother, no doubt, would be glad of a chance to be with them again."

I. B. Kimbrell, prosecuting attorney, said yesterday that he would try to have the trial of James Sharp, leader of the band of fanatics, set for next week. Sharp and Mrs. Sharp are to be prosecuted, but it is doubtful whether Mrs. Pratt and the other members of the band will have to go on trial. Christmas juries are usually more lenient towards prisoners, and Sharp may have this idea in mind.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

December 14, 1908


Sharp and His Companions in Crime
Spend a Gloomy Day
in Jail.

Sunday was a day of rest and pleasure for Mrs. Della Pratt and her four children, but James Sharp and his wife found little to brighten their stay in jail. Ed Fish and William Engnell were sullen and morose when they were seen.

At the Detention home the three Pratt girls and their brother Dewey had been dressed in clean clothes early in the morning. A few minutes after they had had dinner they were surprised to see their mother enter the large room in which they were playing.

The sorrowing little woman did not have arms enough to receive the rush of children, all of whom wanted to kiss and hug her at the same time. "Do you feel well," "Did you sleep all night," and a hundred other questions were hurled at the smiling woman by the happy little children who are trying to help their misguided mother forget the past. With the two smaller children on her lap and the two larger girls standing by her side with their arms around her, Mrs. Pratt listened to the wonderful tales of the happy moments her children had spent in the Detention home.

Mary and Lena Pratt could hardly be taken away from the primers furnished to them, so eager to learn are they. Even Dewey and Edna showed enthusiasm in their progress of being educated.

Mrs. Pratt was allowed to visit with her children for an hour, and was then taken back to the county jail where she shares her cell with Mrs. Sharp. The two women find much comfort in the friendship of each other, but Mrs. Pratt is the brighter of the two and is buoyed up by her affectionate children.

Both women spend the greater part of the time in jail pacing up and down the narrow confines of the cell, bemoaning their trouble and fearful of the final outcome. Mrs. Sharp had but little to say yesterday, except she did not understand how she ever became complicated in such an awful crime. Both women expressed sorrow for the grief of Mrs. Michael Mullane and Mrs. Albert O. Dalbow.

In another wing off from the women's quarters James Sharp, Ed Fish and William Engnell are locked. The once powerful "Adam God" sits with downcast head and eyes that appear to plead for a kind word. "Brother, it is awful. I am up a stump and don't know what to think," Sharp repeated several times when asked how he was feeling. Fish and Engnell were not inclined to talk very much, appearing to be unconscious of their positions.

After Mrs. Pratt left the Detention home the four little ones said they were happier since seeing their mother. Dewey told Mrs. Lizzie Burns, police matron, who had called on them that "we thought mamma was going to go crazy, but now she is better and we don't think she will."

"No, mamma slept well last night and feels cheerful today," Mary Pratt said. Lena, the eldest girl, watched the younger children and did her best to fill the place of her mother and the children were appreciative of her kindness. "We all want to learn and hope we can be able to help our mamma when we get out of here," she said to her visitors. Asked if they liked dolls, the three girls said they did. "We haven't had a doll since we left our home about three years ago," Mary said.

Labels: , , , , ,

December 12, 1908


Mrs. Della Pratt Declares That She
Is Not Inhuman -- Wards of
Juvenile Court.

With all their peculiarities, their odd beliefs, seeming to make them so unlike other people, the Pratt family became intensely human yesterday afternoon when the hour came for mother and children to part -- perhaps forever.

The parting came about 8 o'clock yesterday afternoon. Mrs. Pratt was in the matron's room, surrounded by her remaining flock, Lena, 12; Mary, 11; Dewey, 8, and Edna, 4 years old. She was talking of the future for her little ones, who were playing about the matron's room. She had just finished speaking of the riot of Tuesday, which she said she heartily condemned.

"I want to send my children to school now," she said. "I want them to have an education and be like other people."

"I want to start tomorrow," spoke up little Mary, the brightest one of the lot. "Della, can't I begin tomorrow? I want to learn to read and write." Mrs. Pratt's children all call her by her first name, Della.

"I want to learn, too," interposed Dewey.

"Me too," spoke up Edna, the baby, Lena, the one who took a leading hand in the riot, said nothing. She was leaning with her elbows on the window sill looking wistfully into the street.


"I wish you could all start right now and me with you," said Mrs. Pratt. "If I had had an education I never would have been a follower of a man with such an insane belief."

Just as she finished speaking Captain Walter Whitsett entered the room, followed by George M. Holt, the probation officer over whom the trouble of Tuesday started.

"Come on children," said the captain, "I am going to take you down stairs."

The children started out of the room, when the captain added, "Get your wraps."

"Why take their wraps?" spoke up Mrs. Pratt, a pained expression on her face. The captain said something about "just taking them downstairs" but the mother, who appears to have a great deal of love for her children, seemed to realize that the hour of separation had come. Her eyes were still suffused with tears as she had been softly weeping ever since she looked upon the face of her dead child, Lulu, at the undertaker's only a few hours previous. Tears started afresh as she gathered her little flock about her.

"Don't take them away from me. Don't do that," she pleaded. "I prayed all night this would not happen, yet something told me it would. I have had all the grief I can bear, it seemed, but this is even greater than the rest.

"What h as happened may cause people to think that I am inhuman, that I am not like the rest. But I am. I love these children; they are all I have now and you are going to take them from me. Let me go with them, even be near them where I can hear the sounds of their voices. Let me do that, please do."


Little Dewey was the first to shed tears as he clung tightly to his mother's skirts. Edna wept because he did, and Mary, her face wet with tears, said comfortingly, "We are just going downstairs, Della; we'll all be back. The man said so."

"Good care, the best of care, will be taken of them," said the captain as eh drew the children gently from the mother's grasp and started out of the room. Once more the frail little woman interposed. "Let me kiss them," she wailed. "I know this is the last I will see of them on earth." She kissed them passionately, one by one. Lena, the oldest, was mute, but choked back a sob as she left her mother's arms.

"We'll all be good, Della," called back Mary, "awfully good, and then maybe we'll all go to school and you can be with us -- if we are good."

The little ones were walked to the detention home, a large crowd following. Until they were landed there Mary, who always acts as spokesman, believed that they were to be taken back to their mother.

"Let me go back with you and tell Della that we are all right over here in a big house," she begged. "I think I ought to do it. She will worry so if she don't know where we are." Her request was not granted.

The children will be disposed of later by the juvenile court.

Labels: , , , , , ,

December 1, 1908



Judge H. L. M'Cune Will Vacate That
Bench in January, and a Suc-
cessor Is to Be Chosen.
Duties of the Place.

On the first Thursday after the first Monday in January the judges of the circuit court will meet and select a presiding officer of the juvenile court form among their number. For the past two years Judge H. L. McCune has held this place, but he goes out of office in January.

So far, no judge has declared himself a candidate for the lace, although several have said they would prefer not to have the place. Judge James E. Goodrich and E. E. Porterfield seem at present to supply the list of candidates from which a judge will be selected. Neither of them is a candidate for the place, in the meaning that he greatly desires to fill it.

There are many arduous duties connected with the office of judge of the juvenile court. Conversant with the work as was Judge McCune when he took the place, it was some months before even he had things systemized. When he steps down next month the task of learning the ropes will not be an easy one for his successor, at least for a time.

What was at first a small matter, has expanded into a large department. Besides the regular trial of cases in court, there is general oversight over the probation officer and the Detention home, not to mention the McCune farm, on which there is now being constructed a home for boys. It is easy to let abuses creep into the juvenile court system. A knowledge of these, and the way to combat them, is the necessary equipment of a good judge.

There are people in Kansas City, and good people, too -- you wouldn't believe it if you saw their names in the paper -- who have tried to look upon the Detention home as a free employment bureau. It seems so easy to take a boy capable of earning $6 a week out of the home, which he wants to leave anyhow, and pay him $3 a week. 'Sides which, as the old proverb remarks, it saves money.

It has taken the greatest care of the probation force to keep these abuses out of the system in the past, and the same vigilance no doubt will be as necessary in the future. The case spoken of is mild and only one sample of the sort of matters which are brought up to juvenile judge and probation officer in almost constant succession.

The judge of the juvenile court appointed in January probably will serve until January, 1911. No specific tenure of office is fixed, but the intent of the law is that there shall be a change ever odd-numbered year. Of course, changes may be made more frequently, should conditions require it.

Labels: , , , ,

November 27, 1908


If There Was, It Wasn't the Fault
of Givers of Dinners.

Amid the general rejoicing and feeling of goodfellowship incident to a perfect Thanksgiving day, the less fortunate inhabitants of the city were not forgotten. At every charitable institution in the city a dinner was provided for the inmates. The Salvation Army, Franklin institute, Union mission and other organizations of like character fed hundreds of poor persons, and sent many baskets of provisions to deserving families who were unable to attend the dinners.

The Union mission, at Eighteenth and McGee streets, provided a dinner and fed over 400 persons. Special invitations had been sent out and persons from Rosedale, Argentine, Kansas City, Kas., and country districts attended the dinner. Everything in the way of eatables was provided, and if any person in Kansas City went without a Thanksgiving dinner yesterday it was not because of a lack of opportunity.

"It was certainly good to see those poor persons eat," said the Rev. Mrs. Rose Cockriel, the pastor of the mission. "Those who came to the dinner ranged in age from 7 weeks to 33 years, and they all appeared to enjoy themselves. Six little boys, the oldest one 10 years of age, walked in from beyond the Blue river. We gave them their dinner and a basket of provisions to take to their home."

At the Old Folks and Orphans' home the day was celebrated with an old-fashioned dinner, turkey, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pies and everything that should be eaten on that day. At the Perry Orphan Boys' home 130 boys partook of the good things that had been provided for them.

At the Working Girls' hotel there was really a day of thanksgiving, not alone because of the excellent dinner, for in addition to that some unknown friend donated a high grade piano to the institution. From the standpoint of charity and general cause for thankfulness, the day was very much a success.

At the county jail Marshal Al Heslip provided a dinner for the prisoners, of whom there now are fewer than 200. All the trimmings went with the spread. Eatables out of the ordinary also were served at the Detention home, where juvenile prisoners are confined.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

November 20, 1908


Fred Watson Hasn't Had One Since
San Francisco Disaster.

Wandering around the country since the San Francisco earthquake, Fred Watson arrived here in Kansas City yesterday afternoon. He came here from St. Joseph, where he spent four days sightseeing. Fred is just 11 years old, and while he was roaming around the Union station yesterday, the matron was attracted to him by his big blue eyes. He was coatless and stood near the radiators to keep warm.

The matron gave him supper and then telephoned to the Detention home to know if they would care for him. She was told that she could send the boy to the home for the night, but that he would be turned adrift after breakfast in the morning. The matron at the Detention home said that it was against the policy of the home to take runaway boys, as they stole cookies and jam from the pantry. The matron then arranged to keep Fred at the depot all night and find a home for him in the morning.

An hour later the warden of the home, Edgar Warden, appeared at the depot and said he would take the boy. Fred informed the matron that his father and mother were killed in the earthquake in San Francisco, and that he had been tramping ever since. He said a home where someone would be a mother to him was what he wanted, but that no one had ever offered to keep him.

Labels: , , , ,

October 31, 1908


And Gives It to Children to Cure
Chills and Fever.

"Are bedbugs good for chills and fever?"

This inquiry stumped Dr. E. L. Mathias, probation officer, yesterday. After he had taken the count, the doctor sat up and asked particulars of the man who had propounded the question. The visitor to the Detention home explained:

"There is a woman out in our section of town who has ideas of her own about medicine. When her children have chills and fever, she puts a bedbug in a capsule and feeds it to them. Is that all right?

The doctor promised to look into the capsules. "Maybe it's a valuable addition to the scientific knowledge of medicine," he said.

Labels: , , ,

October 24, 1908


Aileen D'Armond-Clemm Will Not
Vaudeville on Its Broadway.

If the D'Armond sisters, vaudevillians, attempt to sing in Argentine tonight, they will do so at their peril. At least this will be true in the case of Aileen D'Armond, or Aileen Clemm, 1515 East Twelfth, who is half of the vaudeville team. The first families of Argentine are doomed to disappointment.

The Argentine impresario who desired the services of the girls called up the Detention home again yesterday. He was told that Judge H. L. McCune had said, "nothing doing" in the case of Aileen. Grace Stafford, the other half of the team, being over age, may appear in Argentine, or Sugar Creek, if she pleases.

Incidentally, Judge McCune ordered Aileen brought into court again, to find out why her mother did not keep her agreement to move to Braymer, Mo., where the electric lights do not twinkle.

Labels: , , , , ,

August 12, 1908





Mother of May Williams Had Her
Committed to Reform School.
Girl Took Poison Rath-
er Than Go.

On the night before her wedding, and on the eve of being sent to the girl's reform school, pretty little May Williams committed suicide by drinking carbolic acid in the presence of her mother and Mrs. W. W. Smith, an officer of the juvenile court. Miss Williams was heiress to $15,000 and her life within the last three months had been a checkered one.

Two months ago, a few weeks after her mother had married Sol Mead, a railway conductor, Miss Williams was sent to the juvenile court, charged with being incorrigible. Mrs. Smith, the probation officer of the Detention home, thought the girl should be in a better place than the home. Consequently, according to Mrs. Alice Page, the matron of the Y. W. C. A. home at Eighth and Harrison streets, arrangements were made whereby the girl was taken to the Y. W. C. A. home. Mrs. Page found the girl to be anything but incorrigible.

A short while ago it became rumored that Miss Williams was to be married today. Shortly after the rumor became public, and the girl admitted that she intended to marry this morning, she was taken from the Y. W. C. A. home and hauled back to the Detention home. At her mother's request the reform school authorities decided to take the girl and to keep her for an indefinite length of time.


The threat of the reform school had been made to the girl time and again by her mother, Mrs. Mead, and each time Miss Williams had replied that she would die before she went to the institution. Mrs. W. W. Smith accompanied her to her home, 816 Euclid avenue, in order that the girl might pack her trunk. On the way home the girl told Mrs. Smith that she was going to commit suicide. After the two had reached the Mead home, Miss Williams sat in the parlor and talked to her mother of the reformatory. Rising, she said:

"I will die first, and it will be before your eyes."

Whether any attention was paid to the girl's remarks has not been learned. At any rate, she was allowed to leave the presence of the court probationary officer and her mother, with the threat of suicide fresh upon her lips, and over fifteen minutes passed before she was missed. The court officer was present all of that time, and it is said she had heard the threat which the girl made.

In the meantime Miss Williams had gone to the Woodland pharmacy, three blocks away, convinced the druggist that her mother wanted three ounces of carbolic acid, and walked back home again. When she reached her home she walked up the back steps and raised the bottle of carbolic acid to her lips. She had heard footsteps approaching and desired to be successful in her attempt to end her life. At that moment Mrs. Smith caught sight of the girl and called to Mrs. Mead, the mother. With both women looking at her, standing as if rooted to the floor, the girl drank the contents of the bottle and then murmured:"Now, I suppose you are satisfied."

Instantly the probation officer ran to he 'phone and called a doctor and neighbors. Someone called the police ambulance and Dr. J. Park Neal.


Dr. A. H. Walls, who lived in the immediate neighborhood, was called. He replied that he could not get to the Mead home for twenty-five minutes. Ten of those twenty-five had elapsed when someone called the police ambulance. The ambulance made a rapid run and arrived at the home of the Williams girl shortly after Dr. Walls had arrived. As Dr. J. Park Neal, probably the most successful combater of carbolic acid suicides in Kansas City, jumped from his ambulance he was met by Mrs. Smith and Dr. Walls. They told him that the girl was dead an d that nothing could be done for her. Taking Dr. Walls's word for it, and knowing Mrs. Smith as a court officer, he did not attend the girl, but went back to the emergency hospital.

As the ambulance turned the corner of Eighth street an undertaker's wagon appeared around the corner of Ninth street. No one knows who called it. By that time Dr. E. R. Curry arrived and pronounced the girl alive. She had been alive all of the time and lived for three hours after she had taken the poison.

"Could she have been saved had you attended her when you were at the house?" was asked Dr. Neal.

"I believe she could," he said. "In fact, I know she could have been saved. But I took Mrs. Smith's and Dr. Wall's word for final. I had no reason to believe the girl was still alive."

Dr. Neal could not understand why he was turned away while there was hope that the girl might not be dead.

Long before the girl was really dead, another undertaker's ambulance had driven up to the front door, and the neighbors looked on and wondered. No one could be found who would admit calling the second undertaker's ambulance.

Mrs. Mead, the girl's mother, says she is heart broken and will see no one. A doctor was called to see her.

May Williams was a beautiful young girl of uncertain age. Her mother swore in court that May was but 15 years old, while May swore that she was 17. Had the girl been 15 years old three years would have expired before she attained her majority; 17 years of age meant only one year until she came into the $15,000 which her father had left her.


Last spring May Williams won the prize in St. Louis as being the most beautiful unmarried woman in Missouri. The prize was given by a local newspaper. Everywhere she went her beauty was remarked upon. In St. Louis, say those who knew her there, she was not considered incorrigible, nor even wayward.

Mrs. Mead was divorced from her first husband and May lived with him until his death. In his will he left May $15,000, and, it is said, cut off his divorced wife without one cent. At the time of the Williams divorce, which occurred in St. Louis, the whole family history was aired.

Mr. Mead, who is a conductor on the Chicago & Alton railroad, has not been notified of his step-daughter's death. He is expected in from his run this morning at 10 o'clock.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

August 6, 1908


Mrs. Agnes Odell Says It's Conducted
Devoid of Sympathy.

Just returned from a visit to New York, where she took a ward of the juvenile court for adoption, Mrs. Agnes Odell of the Detention home registers a knock on court methods in the Biggest Town.

"Juvenile court in New York is not really juvenile court at all, as we understand it," said Mrs. Odell yesterday. "The judge sits high up on his bench, the little ones are brought in much in the fashion of criminals, and the whole atmosphere is devoid of sympathy for the child that might be made a useful member of society.

"I found the personal element, upon which we lay so much stress here, almost entirely neglected. The children are not treated with the consideration that would bring out the best that is in them.

"Another thing I noticed was the low average of intelligence among the probation officers and other officials entrusted with the care of the children. I am frank to say that I saw nothing to compare with Kansas City methods in the methods of handling children, nor in the results achieved."

Labels: , , ,

August 5, 1908


Parents of Girls Arrested by Him
Will Make Complaint.

That Wanda McComb, aged 14 years, and Freda Westerman, aged 15 years, the two girls who were taken in charge by a man representing himself to be a park policeman while they were listening to a band concert at Thirteenth and Summit streets Monday night, were roughly handled and subjected to abusive treatment by their captor, was made evident from several ugly wounds on little Miss McComb's hands and a statement by her yesterday. The girl's father will prefer information against the accused man.

"We were doing nothing when the man came up and caught hold of us," said Wanda. "He told us that he was an officer and that we were under arrest. When we endeavored to learn the reason for our arrest the man swore at us and dug his fingernails into our arms and hands as he dragged us along,"

The girl said that the man told them that they were to go to the Detention home, but instead of taking them directly there compelled them to ride about on a car and finally walked them a considerable distance to the home, where he was censured by officials and sent away. The girls finally were found at the Detention home by the parents of Wanda who, becoming worried because of her absence, were looking for her.

Both girls, although neither knows his name, declare that they will be able to identify the policeman who caused them so much trouble, and when this is done complaints will be lodged against him with the police and park boards.

The girls have been requested to appear at the Detention home today and relate their experiences to F. E. McCreary, deputy probation officer.

Labels: , , , , ,

July 17, 1908


Many Charges of Detention Home
Have No Vacation in Sight.

Since the outing to Clay Center, Kas., last year of a number of charges of the Detention home proved so successful, Dr. E. L. Matthias of that institution is planning to have something of the same kind this year, if he can get the proper support.

"We cannot take care of the smaller boys in our Indian creek camp," said he yesterday "If farmers of this region, or towns, would agree to care for a certain number of children, it would help us a great deal. The boys we would send range in age from 6 to 8 years.

"The work is charity, pure and simple, for we have no fund to pay for the support of such children while they are in summer homes. But a summer outing of several months could easily be given these little one to allow them to escape the heat of the city if charitably inclined people in the country would help us out.

"Last year Clay Center, Kas., came to the front in good style and if we could have a similar offer this year or a number of offers to care for a smaller number of children, the problem would be easy of solution."

Dr. Mathias plans to send out a detachment this month if accommodations are provided.

Labels: , , , , ,

July 3, 1908


Little St. Louis Runaway Will Be
Cared for at Detention Home.

A broken hearted boy stood before the desk at police headquarters last evening. The cause of his grief was a telegram from his mother to the police here in which she indicated that she did not want her son at home and would not send for him. The boy was Willie Klayfisch, 15 years old, of 3722 Sullivan avenue, St. Louis, Mo. He ran away from home last Tuesday. His mother is a widow, he said. The reply was the first of its kind the police ever got here and the tender hearted ones showed they were disappointed and gave the weeping boy words of sympathy. He was transferred to the detention hime. What will be done with him is not yet known.

Labels: , , , ,

June 11, 1908


Lee Rogers, 6 Years Old, Separated
From His Parents in the Flood.

Lee Rogers, 6 years old, is the first boy to lose both his parents in the present flood, and he is being cared for at the detention home until such time as his father and mother can be found. The Rogers lived in Armourdale until Monday. On that day when the flood threatened their home, Mrs. Rogers came to Kansas City, Mo., to find a new home, and the father went away to help buil dikes. The boy was left in the care of Mrs. Mary Dunbar, 567 North Fourth street, Armourdale, and she, too, had to make a hasty retreat to the Missouri side of the river as the waters began to rise. She brought the Rogers boy with her, and being unable to find his mother turned him over to the superintendent of the detention home last evening.

Labels: , , , ,

May 1, 1908


An Apparently Demented Girl An-
noyed Penny Theater Patrons.

A 12-year-old girl, unable to say anything but "da-da" and believed to be feeble-minded, was taken out of the Electric penny theater on East Twelfth street yesterday afternoon by Patrolman Thomas Keys of the crossing squad, after she had annoyed several visitors in the theater by climbing up on their backs and trying to kiss their cheeks and ears. She is being held at the detention home until she can be identified or someone calls to claim her. She has blue eyes with red lids, yellow hair an wears a checked gingham dress and black shoes. Her stockings are ragged and she has no hat.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

April 25, 1908


Harry Biaski Says Two Little Boys
Robbed Him of $300.

Two lads, Harry and Henry Robinson, sons of Abram Robinson of 1818 Locust street, are being held at the detention home until Harry Biaski, a huckster, living at 1712 Euclid avenue, recovers his pocketbook and $300 which he claims he lost while eating supper in Robinson's house. The father and the older son deny that Biaski was robbed while he was their guest. The $300 represents the savings of four years, Biaski says.

Labels: , , , ,

April 25, 1908


He Married Mrs. McAdams and Buys
No More Roses.

The mystery of why the roses ceased coming to Mrs. Helen E. McAdams, a deputy probation officer at the detention home office, was solved yesterday when the Rev. H. G. Maze of the Watt's Memorial church at Independence returned to the marriage license clerk a copy of Mrs. McAdams's certificate of marriage to W. W. Smith. Mrs. McAdams has been receiving a box of red roses daily for so long that no one remembers when the first one came. Tuesday there came for her a bushel of American Beauties and nary a rose since. Mrs. McAdam became Mrs. Smith Tuesday night. The bridegroom is an officer in the Builders' Sand Company. They will be home to friends at 3600 East Twenty-ninth street.

Labels: , , , ,

April 19, 1908


But This Boy Didn't Take a Chew
Until He Was 6.

When Harry Kersey, a runaway boy from Quincy, Ill., was brought to the detention home yesterday afternoon and admitted to being 16 years old, Superintendent J. K. Ellwood looked him over and said:

"You look like 12 to me. Why didn't you take off a few days and spend it in growing?"

"Too busy," replied Harry.

Ellwood then chanced to glance at the boy's fingers and, seeing cigarette stains, remarked:

"No wonder you didn't grow. You have been smoking."

"That hadn't nothin' to do with it," retorted the midget. "I never smoked a cigarette until I was 5 years old and never chewed until I was 6."

Labels: , , ,

March 8, 1908


Sent to College, Clifford Webster Be-
gins to Write Checks.

Clifford Webster, a 16-year-old boy who has been living with E. A. Walmsley at 2508 Peery avenue and has been attending a local business college, learned to write checks at the college and tried to pass two of his own. The first one, drawn on the New Enland National bank, for $5, he got the money on. The second on the same bank for $18.75, purporting to have been given by J. R. Tomlin, was refused and City Detectives Keshler and McGraw nabbed the boy. He is being held in the detention home. The boy's father is dead, his stepfather lives in France, and Walmsley some months ago took him into his home and put him in school.

Labels: , , , ,

February 11, 1908


So Concetta Paolo, Wife of Another,
Is Sent to a Refuge.

The Italian girl who ran away from her husband of three months in St. Paul, Minn., and came to Kansas City with Paul Dominick, who was best man at her wedding, was yesterday transferred from the detention home to the House of the Good Shepherd. Dominick, who was fined in police court for vagrancy, is at large, and night before last came and sang beneath the window of the girl's cell in the detention home.

The girl will be held here by order of the children's court until money is obtained from her parents in St. Paul, when she will be put on a train with a ticket for home. She is kept locked up so that Dominick cannot talk with her.

In the children's court yesterday the girl said that her real name is not Rose Trapiss, but is Concetta Paolo. She told Judge H. L. McCune that she would never return to her husband, but would be glad if he could send her back to her mother. When asked if she loved Dominick, she sat silent.

Concetta is only 15 years old, but looks two years older. She is so beautiful that, despite her shabby clothes, people, who had seats in the court room, stood up to gaze at her.

Labels: , , , , ,

December 22, 1907


Willie Bear Is Also Charged With
Shooting at Him.

Willie Bear, 15 years old, of Twenty-fifth street and Brooklyn avenue, is in a cell at the detention home awaiting trial Monday in the children's court on the charge of tying John Wiess of 3409 Garfield avenue, a playmate, to a post and shooting at him with a target rifle.

Willie admits tying John up, but says he didn't try to shoot him. They boys were playing "Teddy, or How Can a Bob Cat Escape?"

Labels: , , , , ,

December 13, 1907


Children Gather at Detention Home
From Many States.

The docket of the detention home last evening resembled a hotel register. Out of thirteen children arrested Wednesday and Thursday, four boys and two girls live outside of Kansas City. There is one from Sugar Creek, two from Independence, one from Lexington, Mo., one from St. Louis and one from Philadelphia. The Pennsylvania lad is Charles Fletcher, 13 years old.

"Nearly a third of the children who get into court are young tramps," says Chief Probation Officer Mathias.

Labels: , , , , , ,

November 5, 1907


A Policeman Found Him in an Alley
With Two Messages.

A boy in the messenger uniform of the Postal Telegraph company was taken to police headquarters drunk yesterday morning.

"I found him in the alley behind the R. A. Long building," John R. McCall, a patrolman said. "He had two messages. I don't know when he started with them but from the way he was progressing, they certainly wouldn't have reached their destination on time."

Several boys who came to the station said the messenger was about 15 years old and was called "Bosco." He was taken to the detention home.

Labels: , , , , , ,

October 9, 1907


"Izzy" Miller, Once in Reform
School, Again in Trouble.

"Izzy" Miller, 14 years old, is held at the detention home awaiting trial in the juvenile court on the charge of trying to pass a worthless check on a dry goods company, 1331 Grand avenue. "Izzy" was arrested by the police of No. 4 station. The check, which the company wouldn't take, was signed, "H. C. Jacoby," payable to "Isadore Miller" and drawn on the Pioneer Trust Company. "Izzy" has been in trouble before, and was released from the boys' school at Boonville only five months ago. He lives iwth his step-father, Mike Harris, at 1829 Grand avenue.

Labels: , , , ,

September 27, 1907


Family of Seven Persons Taken in
Charge by Authorities.

Seven persons, one a babe two days old, were found living in one room at 507 Grand avenue, yesterday morning by Edgar Warden, a deputy probation officer. Mrs. Mamie Cayton, the mother , and her infant were in the only bed in the room. On a pile of rags on the floor lay Mr. and Mrs. John Stevens and their daughter, Sadie, 13 years old. Frank Stevens, 9 years old, sat at the foot of the bed. There is another Stevens boy who was not at home. There was a gasoline stove, a kettle and a few dirty pans in the room.

Sadie and Frank Stevens were taken to the Detention home. The mother and child are being cared for by the Associated Charities. The other Stevens boy, when he is locate, will be cared for by the Detention home authorities.

Labels: , , ,

September 19, 1907


After a Long Search Boy Concludes
He Did Not Steal.

Leon Harris, a negro boy, 12 years old, living in the vicinity of Twenty-third and Vine streets, was taken to the detention home yesterday by Detective Boyle charged with the theft of a finger ring.

"This is the most peculiar prisoner I have had to deal with in some time," said Detective Boyle. "When i accused him of stealing the ring he volunteered to take me to the spot where he had hidden it. After prowling around with him for some time and not finding the lost jewelry the little rascal looked me squarely in the eye and innocently remarked:

"Boss, come to think of it, I guess I did not steal the ring you were looking for."

Labels: , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory