Find Rare Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas - A Celebration of Kansas City Past!


Old News from Kansas City - Vintage New Items
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

December 26, 1909


Only One Exception Was Made to
Order Prohibiting Gifts.

Yesterday, in the annals of the police department, went down as a lean Christmas. It was owing to the order issued by the board of police commissioners shortly after the members went into office last April.

On the official records it reads, "No member of the police force shall give or receive presents." Short and to the point it caused clouds of gloom to settle right around the city hall. This year the patrolman on the beat was forced to wave aside all offers of boxes of cigars, black bottles, etc., and the family turkey was bought from the officer's monthly stipend.

One exception to the rigid rule of the police commissioners was made yesterday, however, and the officer in question is not likely to be called upon to answer for infringement.

On "Battle Roy," known officially as Beat 7 and the roughest beat in the central district, an old shoe string peddler plies his trade. Worn and bent, the old man walked into headquarters last night and asked for Officer Herman Hartman who, for the past five years, has patroled out of headquarters.

"Yes, he saved my life once," he stated to the desk sergeant, Robert Smith. "He pulled me out of the way of a runaway team. I haven't got any money but I would like you to give him this half dozen pair of shoe laces."

The sergeant took the gift and placed it in an envelope for the officer, who is at present a member of the traffic squad and stationed at Eleventh and Walnut streets.

Labels: , , , , , ,

December 24, 1909


City Hall Employes Remember His
Forty-Sixth Birthday.

Mayor Crittenden admits that he was 46 years old yesterday. His official family and close personal friends took advantage of the occasion to present him with an ornamented cake weighing twenty-five pounds. It was pyramidal and decorated with cupids, bon bons, and images of flying doves. The pyramid was shaped as a bouquet holder, and this was filled with American Beauty roses, ferns and delicate plants. At the base of the cake forty-six miniature candles were set in the open petals of lillies of the valley.

While the mayor was absent in another part of city hall the cake was smuggled into his private office, and when he returned he was greeted by a host of friends, and Frank Lowe made a facetious speech of presentation, and the mayor responded as well as his embarrassment would permit.

Labels: , , , ,

December 12, 1909


"Elizabeth," Pet of Water Depart-
ment, Crushed by Door.

"Elizabeth," the canary that had a record of raising a family of eighteen birds since April 15 last, and which always attracted so much attention because it was given its freedom in the city hall offices of Tom Gregory, auditor of the water department, was accidentally killed yesterday. The little warbler was perched on top of a door when a sudden gust of wind closed the door. The bird was caught in the jam of the door case, and its life crushed out. Mr. Gregory and his office force are inconsolable.

Labels: , , , ,

September 18, 1909


Wife of "Adam God" Has No Means.
Counsel is Furnished.

In the criminal court yesterday the trial of Mrs. Melissa Sharp, wife of James Sharp, "Adam God," was set for October 18. As she had no counsel, Jesse James was assigned by the court.

Mrs. Sharp was in the riot at the city hall December 8, 1908, when two policemen were killed. Her husband, James Sharp, was convicted in the criminal court last spring and sentenced to the penitentiary for twenty-five years. He is now serving his sentence, pending the opinion of the supreme court on his appeal.

Mrs. Sharp's appearance before the court was in response to her own request. She had asked Judge Latshaw for an audience and when she came into the court room she asked for a hearing.

"I am ready for trial at any time," she told the court.

Labels: , , , ,

July 23, 1909


Two of Carlos IV Design Owned
by City Employes.

There are two men in the city clerk's office, William Scoville, sergeant-at-arms of the lower house, and Ethelbert Allen, a deputy city clerk, each with a Spanish coin of the eighteenth century design and one of them coined during the reign of Carlos IV.

Scoville turned up with his doubloon or whatever it is about the size of a silver dollar, two days ago, having bought it from a tramp. Allen, on looking at it, dug up its mate, which he had owned for five years, but which had been in his family since his grandfather's youth, early in the last century.

The coins were alike generally, but different in detail. Allen's heirloom has on it "Carlos IV," while Scoville's coin has on it "Carolus IIII," like the numeral on a watch handle. Allen's coin is dated 1790 and Scoville's 1907.

Allen's rings like silver, and Scoville's like a piece of hard putty. This peculiarity may be explained by the small Chinese characters stamped upon the Scoville coin. Chinese like Western silver money. At present they use Mexican coins. In earlier times they used Spanish dollars.

Anything that looked like money was money. So the Spanish "dollars" of the Scoville type were coined by the ton, of pure pewter, and passed current in China. To prove them genuine, the Chinese put their own stamps on them.

Collectors regard these "phoney" coins as more valuable than the real article.

Labels: ,

June 1, 1909


Rebate of 6 Per Cent on Payments
in June.

This is the day to begin the payment of taxes to the city treasurer for real estate, personal and merchants' property. Those paying this month will receive a rebate of 6 per cent; next month, 4 per cent and August 2 per cent. There will be no rebates in September, October, or November. December 1 the treasurer turns over to the city comptroller a statement of all personal taxes unpaid, and the city counselor will proceed to collect them.

On the first Monday in November the treasurer is authorized to sell at public sale all property on which city taxes are delinquent. The new city charter reduces the penalty rate on delinquent taxes from 2 per cent to 1 per cent a month, and the sale of real estate for delinquent taxes will now be made to the tax buyer who offers to carry the taxes at the lowest rate of interest, not exceeding 12 per cent per annum. The old charter allowed the tax buyer to add 10 per cent per annum immediately to the amount of his bill and carry the whole amount of 24 per cent per annum. If the property owner paid off the delinquent taxes within a year after the sale, he paid the enormous rate of 34 per cent. Now he will pay no more than 12 per cent.

Delinquent taxes now run for five years after the sale before the deed is given to the purchaser. Under the old charter they run but two years.

Payment of dog licenses is due today, also, and Captain James Kennedy, dog enumerator, feels that he has given sufficient warning to dog owners to save them and himself any unnecessary trouble.

Labels: , ,

May 27, 1909



While on Stand, Prosecutor Dis-
misses Information Against Him.
Fanatic Continues to Inter-
rupt Court Proceedings.
William Enghnell, Member of the Band of Religious Fanatics.
As He Appeared After His Arrest
Following the City Hall Riot.

Acrid exchanges of words between attorneys and the release of William Enghnell, a member of James Sharp's band, from the county jail, brought interest to the closing hour of the Adam God hearing for yesterday.

The day had been one of lagging testimony, largely by deposition, and court and spectators, as well as the jury, were weary when, at 4:30 o'clock, Enghnell, 20 years old, who does not appear bright, marched to the witness stand. He had been brought out of his cell on a former day of the trial, but taken back before he had a chance to testify.

On the stand Enghnell spoke with a pronounced Swedish dialect. He said he had lived in Kitchen county, Minn.

"Who is this?" asked A. E. Martin, counsel for the fanatic, Sharp, indicating the defendant.

"It's James Sharp."


"By what other name do you know him?"


"By what other name?"


"By what other name?"

"He is the Lord," said the boy, reverently.

"How long have you known Sharp?"

"I met him a year ago in Kitchen county, and hear him preach."

Judge Ralph S. Latshaw of the criminal court here turned to Enghnell and told him not to testify to anything that might tend to incriminate himself.

Immediately Virgil Conkling, prosecutor, was on his feet.

"If the court please," said he, "the state wishes to dismiss any information that may be pending against Enghnell. The state will not prosecute him for anything. He was not present at the shooting."

Mr. Martin resumed:

"Why are you in jail, Enghnell?"

"They had me arrested for believing the truth and Adam. I met him and God revealed to me that He was Adam, and I got the faith."

The witness started to tell what he saw of the shooting on the river, but was stopped by an objection by Mr. Conkling.

Sharp spoke up and said:

"I object. There you go stopping one of my best witnesses. Object, object," he continued, punching Martin in the back.

"Let him tell what he knows about that killing," shouted Sharp.

"That's the truth," called out the boy in the voice of a zealot.

On cross-examination Mr. Conkling asked:


"Sharp believed in killing people, didn't he?"

"No," said the boy. "Letting all people alone was our doctrine."

"Why did you have guns?"

"I heard Adam say that all through the South, where he had been preaching, they had been putting him in jail, and he had the guns to keep the evil men off him."

"Now don't let him get more than twenty-five minutes from the shooting," called out Sharp. "They wouldn't let the others tell what happened twenty-five minutes afterward. Why should this boy tell what happened more than twenty-five minutes before the shooting?"

The interruption was too much for Martin, who jumped in and said, "For two or three days I've resisted putting this boy on the stand. I was forced to do so by the defendant."

"Mr. Martin is 21 years old, a member of the bar and ought to be able to conduct a criminal case or resign," said Mr. conkling frigidly. By this time the prosecutor was on his feet and continued: "I don't think you ought to take this position before the jury."

"Are there any other witnesses they are trying to force you to put on, Mr. Martin?" asked Judge Latshaw. "If there are, I will protect you."

"No," said Martin.

"If you object," said Mr. Conkling, "I shall not examine this witness further. I don't want to be unfair."

Martin had none, so the questioning about the guns was resumed by the prosecutor.


"Sharp took the guns up town to protect him from the evil man," said the boy Enghnell.

"Did you give him some of the guns?"

"When I got into the faith I gave Adam my two pistols. I saw he was David, the father, and I gave everything I had to him."

"What else did you give him?"

"A $5 bill."

"Because he told you he was Adam?"

"No. God revealed it to me."

"Revealed it to Sharp, too, didn't he?"


"When you offered him the $5, you had a hard time to get him to take it, didn't you?"


"What did he say about you not having nerve to use pistols?"

"He said I didn't."

As soon as this answer had been given, Mr. Conkling accused Martin of shaking his head at the witness and objected to such alleged acts. martin denied them, but Conkling persisted.

"Did Sharp tell you that if anybody stopped him from preaching there would be war? the prosecutor asked the witness.


"Did he say if they didn't let him do what he wanted he would shoot?"

"Yes, he said that."

"Did Sharp tell you that perhaps this was the town God wanted him to take?"


"Did he say he had to fire the first shot and then they all could shoot?"



"Did he say he proposed never to be put in jail again?"


"Did he tell you he bought the guns to keep the police from arresting him?"


"Were you with Sharp w hen he stood off the Canadian police?"


"Stood them off with a rifle, didn't he?"


"And the next day he stood off several?"


"Then they sent fifty Canadian police after him and he stood them off with a rifle?"


"All of you who joined the band got revelations to give Sharp your money, didn't you?"

"Yes, we got revelations. God showed us."

"Did Sharp say he would do like David did to the Philistine with his knife?"


This concluded the examination of Enghnell, who was set at liberty. He was taken in charge by Mrs. Alice Stultz, a mission worker at 1418 Oak street, who said she would care for him. Court then adjourned for the day.

The reference Enghnell made in his testimony to Sharp taking the city had to do with a claim he made to his followers in connection with Joshua and Jericho.


Sharp himself did not take the stand yesterday, and it is possible that neither he nor his wife will be used as witnesses. The case may be finished today, as there remains little evidence to be put before the jury unless the Sharps go on the stand. Mr. Martin was unwilling last night to allow Sharp or his wife to testify, but added that they might override his wishes.

During the afternoon there were read by A. A. Bailey of Sharp's counsel depositions taken early this month in Oklahoma City. L. A. Sheldon, a real estate dealer who was a jailer there in February, 1905, said that the Sharps were in his charge for about sixty days that year. This was just after the naked parade.

"Sharp told me," said Sheldon, "that he came naked into the world and would go out that way. He preached and sang in the jail day and night so that one couldn't sleep in the jail office. He said also he was God and was generally 'nutty' on religion. His mental condition was 'mighty weak'.

"This naked parade was on Broadway in the afternoon. There were four of them in it."

James Bruce of Oklahoma City, who had the contract for feeding prisoners at the jail when Sharp was confined there, said he seemed to be rational on all subjects except religion. Sharp, so said Bruce, had a "very elegant beard," which reached almost to his waist.

"I told him," said Bruce, "that I wanted his whiskers and when I got back there he had cut them off with a pocket knife and had them in an envelope. 'Keep these and they will make you religious,' he said to me. I learned from neighbors that Pratt gave Sharp over $3,000, realized from the sale of Pratt's farm."


John Tobin, a retired farmer of Oklahoma City, saw Sharp's band in their camp near Oklahoma City in the spring of 1905. He said he wanted to buy the farm (Pratt's), but that Sharp asked $6,000, or $1,000 more than it was worth.

John Ballard, a deputy sheriff, saw the naked parade.

John W. Hanson, assistant county attorney, who was police judge of Oklahoma City in 1905, gave it as his opinion that Sharp was sane.

"He told me," the witness said, "that the constitution of the United States guaranteed him the right to preach on the streets. This was after he had been arrested for blockading the streets."

When Mr. Conkling read this question from the deposition: "It's very common for religious fanatics to claim divine origin, isn't it?" Sharp remarked, loud enough to be heard all over the courtroom:

"No, it is not."

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

May 24, 1909


Letter Carrier Who Believes in
Cleanliness and Neatness.

Should all of the men in the civil service of the United States follow the example of a well known mail carrier in Kansas City the work of tailors would treble and the men would gain fame for their general appearance. The man who sets the pace in neatness is found in the city directory in the following short history: "Harry Feaman, Carrier, P. O. 3217 East Eleventh Street."

This firm believer in the old proverb of "Cleanliness is next to Godliness" works for Uncle Sam for eight hours every day. He carries a mail route in the North End and the city hall. The mail bags are heavy but become burdensome when stuffed with letters and papers. A carrier is constantly waling and is compelled to climb many pairs of stairs in the course of a day.

There is considerable dust flying in the air in the neighborhood of city hall and when Carrier Feaman's work is finished he feels dirty and grimy. He changes his uniform from three to five times a day and tops each change with a cold water bath. In consequence of these many changes this mail carrier always appears neat and tidy, in fact one would believe that he had just stepped out of a band box.

When Feaman gets up in the morning he refreshes himself with a dip in a tub of cold water, dresses and goes to work. Returning home for lunch he again indulges in a plunge and dons clean clothes and a freshly pressed uniform. The work of distributing his mail in the afternoon musses up his garments and so it is bath and change of clothes No. 3 for Mr. Feaman.

Labels: , , , , ,

April 25, 1909


One Hundred and Fifty Gallons in
30 Days for Two Women.

Is it possible for two persons to drink 150 gallons of water in thirty days? That's what Gus Pearson, the city comptroller, is wondering this month after the Ozarks Water Company turned in a bill for $16 for the month of March. It wouldn't have been so bad if it represented the combined thirst of the city hall, but it was for the nurses' department in the emergency hospital alone. As there are only two nurses, the problem requires a scientist to solve it correctly.

Each five-gallon bottle of the water costs 50 cents and there were thirty-two bottles used during the month. Naturally the representative of the water company made no complaint when he was called almost ever day to furnish a fresh supply. The nurses insist there was a defect in the apparatus and that most of the water leaked.

Labels: ,

April 22, 1909


Officials Will Attend Circus Per-
formance at Convention Hall.

Tonight will be "city hall night" at the circus. All the officials will attend the performance at Convention hall and will boost for the Kansas City zoo.

Everybody would like to see the Swope Park zoo stocked with animals and birds this summer, and to raise the money for that object the Zoological Society of Kansas City induced the Campbell Bros. to bring their circus and animals to Convention hall for one week, ending with a performance next Saturday night.

All the proceeds, after paying expenses, will be applied to the purchase of animals by the park board and the Zoo Society. Campbell Bros. do not handle a dollar of the money. The city and county exacted no license always required for a circus, which amounts to $800.

The performance is most excellent, and if patronized as it should be, the money to buy lions, tigers, leopards, monkeys and birds will be raised and honestly expended for that purpose.

Every person who goes to the Campbell Bros.' show this week assists in securing the new public menagerie which will be installed at Swope park. Performances are given every afternoon and evening. Remember the good cause and make it a point to take in the circus.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

April 10, 1909


The Real Turning Point in the
Destiny of Kansas City, U. S. A.

To The Journal:

In the spring of 1866 Kansas City had a population of about 3,000. The community had not yet fully recovered from the disastrous effects of the civil war. The corporation was virtually bankrupt; city "scrip," issued to meet current expenses, sold for 50 cents on the dollar.

The sheriff had exhausted his powers in trying to find property on which to levy. He had sold the furniture out of the offices in city hall -- the city scales, and even part of the market square fronting on Main street. Many old timers can easily remember when a block of one and two-story houses extended from Fifth street to the old city hall, built upon sheriff's titles.

Leavenworth, which was Kansas City's great rival, had at that time about 20,000 population and was really the"City of the West," with bright prospects, good credit and large numbers of very wealthy, public-spirited citizens.

No wonder disinterested observers saw little chance for Kansas City. but with that little chance a great opportunity preceded and followed by a fortuitous chain of events, which changed destiny. Both cities had already (before the civil war) expended considerable sums in efforts to obtain rail connection with Cameron station, about fifty miles distant, on the Hannibal & St. Joseph railroad.

During the previous session of the Missouri legislature, Kansas City had the good fortune to be represented by Colonel R. T. Van Horn, M. J. Payne and E. M. McGee, who, by their untiring industry and perseverance, and in the face of sharp opposition, secured the passage of the necessary legislation for a bridge and branch railroad.

Colonel Charles E. Kearney (who had recently returned to Kansas City from New York city, where he had engaged in the banking business, and where he had made wide acquaintance among financiers and other business men all over the United States), was made president the company , and devoted his entire time and energy until all was successfully completed.

In the meantime Colonel Van Horn had been elected to congress and was then in Washington, where he was well favorably known, and succeeded in getting such legislation as was requisite.

Colonel Van Horn was ably assisted by Colonel Kersey Coates, who was a warm personal friend of Hon. Thaddeus Stevens, who, at that time, was the recognized leader of the Republican party. Mr. Stevens, on many occasions during his career, at the insistence of Colonel Coates, had used his influence and good offices in promoting and guarding the interests of Kansas City.

On the 8th of May a public meeting was held in the city hall for the purpose of providing funds to aid the enterprise. At that meeting $60,000 in cash was raised and the city council turned over $23,000 in notes of the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company, given for the right of way of that road along the levee.

This fund became the guarantee on the part of Kansas City on going into the contract for the building of bridge and road.

Immediately after that meeting Messrs. Kearney, Case and Coates began active negotiations in Boston, New York and Detroit. The negotiations had to be conducted with great secrecy --the Leavenworth delegations were continually met, the newspapers and public men of St. Louis did everything in their power to advance, aid and assist the interests of Leavenworth and to hinder, thwart and ridicule the efforts of Kansas City.

On May 24th public announcement was made that the contract had been executed by Hon. James F. Joy of Detroit on behalf of the railroads.

From that day the tide turned in favor of Kansas City, and when the bridge was completed, some three years later, the Kansas City branch became the main line.

Many of the subscribers to this historic fund have been classed as "old fogies," and wanting in public spirit. Others were considered visionary, theoretical, impractical, but all came nobly to the front of this supreme occasion and laid the foundation that makes present conditions possible.

"They built it better than they knew."

The city afterwards, when authority had been obtained, and arrangements made for a bond issue, refunded in full the amount paid by the subscribers.

April 8, 1909

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

April 6, 1909


Retiring Commissioners Draw Two
Months' Salary and Say Goodby
to Associates.

A sort of farewell service took place yesterday afternoon at city hall, when Elliott H. Jones and A. E. Gallagher, the retiring board of police commissioners, paid their last visit to police headquarters in an official capacity. Incidentally, it marked the first time in the memory of the oldest policeman that a Democratic board retired in favor of Republicans.

The two men first visited James Vincil, the secretary of the board, who probably will say adieu to his quarters within the next month. Both men drew their salaries which they had allowed to accumulate during the last two months and left office smiling.

"I'll have to loook into the room where we have had so many sessions," said Mr. Gallagher, and the two men paused at the door of the room where the weekly meeting takes place. Mr. Jones did not seem particularly sorry that the last meeting was over.

"Well, goodby, Mr. Vincil," said both men, as they left the secretary's office. "Good luck to you."

The retiring commissiones then paid a visit to Captain Whitsett, Chief Ahern and Captain Frank Snow. They conversed a few minutes at each place and wished all good luck.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

April 4, 1909


Rumored Captain Casey Will Go to
Headquarters Station.

It was common talk among the politicians at the city hall yesterday that in case the new board of police commissioners made a general shift of all officers now in command of their different outside stations Captain John J. Casey, who is now at No. 6 station, would be shifted to headquarters in the place of Captain Walter Whitsett. A few days ago Thomas A. Marks is reported to have said that there would be a general change as soon as the new board took control.

Captain Casey is considered the most likely candidate for the important place at headquarters, owing to the fact that his brother, Senator Michael Casey, was active in lining up the Democratic senate in favor of the confirmation of Marks and Middlebrook. Casey is considered to be one of the most efficient officers in the department.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

April 3, 1909


Aged Man Said Roosevelt Had Left
Money at the Hall for Him.

An elderly man wearing a beard that reached nearly to his waist, walked into the offices of Mayor Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., yesterday. He could not speak English.

Through an interpreter the man's mission was learned.

"He says he is down here after that $300 you have for him," said the interpreter.

"The old man says he received a Marconi telegram this morning from Theodore Roosevelt saying he had left $300 for him with the mayor, and he wants it."

The old man was taken to Colonel Greenman. Later it was learned that he is a wealthy German and lives on Mersington. He was put in charge of relatives who explained that he has been irresponsible of late.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

March 18, 1909



Unusual Occurrence at Humane So-
ciety Headquarters -- Couple Told
to Think of Child and
Bear and Forebear.

Wives with grievances against their husbands for non-support or for the late hours with "sick friends," generally go to the city hall and tell their troubles to the Humane Society.

The little room at the northwest corner of city hall on the second floor is always crowded with men and women who have come to pour their tales of distress into the patient cares of Mrs. Frank McCrary and W. H. Gibbens, Humane agents. But yesterday, an incident occurred which will long be remembered by the Humane Society.

"You know that you haven't given me a cent in two weeks," exclaimed a woman, as she went through the door with her husband, who was carrying an infant in his arms.


"I do my best," said the man apologetically to Mr. Gibbens, "but she is always picking on me. She won't let me have a minute's rest."

"You don't support me and the children," she retorted angrily.

A neatly dressed woman who was listening to the conversation walked over to the couple.

"I don't want to assume too much interest in your affairs," she said, "but I think you are both wrong. Neither will give in to the other. You owe it to the child there in your lap to live a different life. You owe it to you Maker to be patient with each other. Instead of separation, you should talk about the future. Now let's get down on our knees and ask the Lord to help us."

The man and woman, as their adviser knelt in front of her chair, knelt also. A minute later both were crying softly as she prayed fervently for their happiness.


The door into the hall was open, and down the corridor several men were waiting till the police board would commence its weekly session. At last the woman's voice became loud enough for the words to be distinguished, and instinctively many of the men removed their hats and stood in silence.

At last the prayer was over, and as the three arose tears of gladness were in the eyes of the man and wife.

They kissed each other and left the room apparently reconciled. Both were weeping.

"It has been a long time since I've heard a prayer up here," said Mr. Gibbens. "If all the domestic troubles were cured that easy, I think we ought to try it."

Out in the hall the crowd of men replaced their hats, but for a long time, a stillness reigned. The prayer in the police station had had its result.

"I was only doing my duty," said the little woman to the Humane officer.

Labels: , , ,

December 5, 1908


Mayor's Bodyguard Tells How He
Handles Cranks.

"Phil" Murphy is the police officer who has been detailed to the offices of the mayor in the city hall to deal with cranks and obstreperous callers. He has been connected with the police department for several years, and has served at the depot and other public places in handling crowds.

"How do you propose to deal with the cranks when they annoy the mayor?" Murphy was asked yesterday.

"Jolly 'em, jolly 'em," replied Murphy. "There's only one way to handle a crank. Fawn him, play on his vanity and get him to believe that his bug is all right. Get his confidence, humor him and feed him taffy and mentally blindfold him. When you have him in this condition there is not trouble in taking care of him."

Labels: , ,

January 4, 1909





Official Cares and Personal Ease Is
Being Disturbed to Too Great
an Extent by Mentally
Disturbed Persons.

Every hour of the day and every day of the week from a half to a dozen people from all walks of life sit in the big waiting room adjoining the private offices of Mayor Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., in the city hall waiting to get "a word with the mayor." The visitors attract little if any attention from the other throngs that pass in and out of the building, so today when an unconcerned appearing man takes his place with the other callers at the mayor's offices, and mingles among them in an unconscious sort of way there is no possibility of his presence exciting more than passing notice. But after he repeats for days his presence he will then become an object of notice, and people will begin wondering and asking why he is there and what is the necessity for his continual attendance. Then it will all come out.


The mysterious stranger is a police officer, and he is there to deal with cranks, near-cranks and other objectionables that are making life burdensome to the mayor. This class of individuals is fast becoming a pest, and Mayor Crittenden has had some experience with them of late that has induced him to follow out the rule in vogue in the offices of mayors of other cities and have an officer at arm's length when emergency demands. Very often, too, the mayor is requested by citizens to have a service performed that he cannot impose consistently upon his private secretary, and in instances of this kind "the mayor's office" will be quite handy. Officially, however, the officer will be expected to be the crank squelcher.

"I had hoped that there would be no publicity over the detail of an officer to my offices," said the mayor yesterday, "but as it has gotten out there is nothing left for me to do but say that it is a usual thing for an officer to be in the mayor's offices in other cities. There is always more or less need for an officer in city hall."

"It is said you are becoming more frightened over visits from cranks, and consider the need of protection," it was suggested.

The mayor laughed heartily, and while he would not concede that cranks were altogether responsible for the detail of an officer for the mayor's protection, still indirectly they had something to do with it.

"Every day in the week," continued the mayor, "I have from fifty to 100 callers and I have to listen to them. Eighty per cent of my visitors have to be directed to the heads of other departments, and the other 20 per cent are politicians with an ax to grind, job hunters and cranks.


"Then you do have visits from cranks?"

"Yes, a great many and they are extremely annoying. It was not so very long ago that a fellow called upon me, and insisted that I, and only I, could remove a hypnotic spell that was upon him. I jollied him until I could summon an officer from headquarters, and I never passed a more unpleasant ten minutes waiting for the officer to report. The fellow was put under restraint, and to pacify him I underwent a sham performance as if removing the hypnotic spell. I don't know as I succeeded, but I have since learned that the fellow is now a raving maniac.

"A professional man who is having troubles, and whose sanity has been questioned, is becoming intolerably annoying. He is persisting that I give him a permit to carry a gun, and he believes that if I only would that I can patch up his marital woes. Every time he comes in here his eyes look glassier, and he acts more like a madman. On his last visit his eyes looked like two electrical bulbs to me.


"Friday forenoon while I was my busiest I was called from my office by a man whom I immediately sized up to be a crank. I had never seen him before, still he greeted me with the cordiality of lifetime friends and was disagreeably familiar.

" 'I want a job and I want it quick,' said the stranger.

" 'There are no jobs to be given out; this is the dull season in municipal matters,' I replied.

" 'Give me a job, and I'll tell you how you can make a million dollars,' the fellow whispered confidentially into my ears.

" 'I can't barter away city jobs for my own personal gain,' I told the man, and he became quite demonstrative. It was self-evident that the fellow had to be solaced, and I invited him to call on me again and I would see about giving him work.

" 'Remember,' he flashed back, as he departed, 'get me a job and there is a million in it for you.' "

"The cranks are not confined wholly to the men. I have calls from women cranks and they are the hardest to dispose of. Quite recently I had a woman on the shady side of 40 implore of me to use my influence with a youngster still in his teens to be responsive to her love and affection for him. The woman said that the object of her heart had repelled all her devotion for him, and that without his love and esteem life to her was not worth the living. To be rid of her I made a promise to see the young man, and when she calls again she will be introduced to the officer in waiting."

Labels: , , , ,

December 22, 1908


A. Judah's Gift to the Children Will
Be Distrubted From Different
Charities Today.

Manager A. Judah of the Grand has invited the poor children of the city to a matinee performance by Corinne and her company tomorrow afternoon. The entertainment is being given in connection with the Christmas tree, and Manager Judah promises a surprise for the little ones who will be his guests for the afternoon. Admission will be by ticket, and the distribution of tickets will begin today, in charge of the following charitable organizations:

Associated Charities, 1115 Charlotte street (will also distribute tickets among colored population); Institutional church, Admiral boulevard and Holmes street; Helping Hand, 408 Main street; Franklin institute, Nineteenth and McGee streets; Grace hall, 415 West Thirteenth street; Humane Society, city hall, second floor; United Jewish Charities, 1702 Locust street; Italian Charities, offices with Associated Charities; juvenile court, county court house; Bethel mission, 43 North First street, Kansas City, Kas; Catholic Ladies' Aid Society, Eighth and Cherry, St. Patrick's hall.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

December 11, 1908


Heroic Patrolman Succumbs to the
Wounds Received in the City
Hall Riot Tuesday.
Patrolman Michael Mullane
Police Patrolman Who Lost His Life in the Line of Duty.

Michael Mullane, patrolman, died at 1:10 p. m. yesterday at St. Joseph's hospital from his wound received in the riot Tuesday afternoon. Funeral services will be held at 9 o'clock Saturday morning at Sacred Heart church, Twenty-sixth and Madison. Solemn high mass will be conducted by Father Hogan. Burial will be in Mount St. Mary's cemetery.

Mr. Mullane was 34 years of age. He was born in Athea, County Limerick, Ireland. He came to America in July, 1897, coming directly to Kansas City. He obtained employment with the Western Grocery Company and remained with that company till November 16, 1905, when he was appointed as a probationary officer. On December 31, of the next year, he was put on as a regular member of the force. Mr. Mullane was one of the best men on the force, as well as one of the largest. Standing six feet two inches and weighing 260 pounds, he was a powerful man. He was not corpulent, but was a man of big bone, muscle and sinew. Strict attention to duty in the worst part of the city, with total abstinence from liquor and not a black mark against him, had won for him the high regard of his superior officers and the friendship of everyone.

A widow and two children, a girl baby of 3 months and a boy of 8, constitute his family. One child, a little girl, had preceded him to the great beyond. She took sick about a year ago this week and died on December 16. Besides his immediate family, he has two brothers and a sister residing in the city, John P. Mullane, an insurance agent of 1102 West Fortieth street; Patrick P. Mullane of 2542 Belleview and Mrs. Mary Dalton of the same address. His father is dead, while his mother and older brothers live in Ireland. He has many cousins who are residents of Kansas City.

The body was removed from the hospital to O'Donnell's undertaking rooms yesterday evening and later to his late home, 921 West Twenty-fourth street.

Mr. Mullane leaves life insurance amounting to about $5,000. Besides he owned a residence at 2631 Belleview.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

December 10, 1908





Man Answering His Description Seen
in Armourdale -- Clark and Mul-
lane May Recover -- Selsor
Will Die.

Information was given the police about noon yesterday that a man answering the description of James Sharp, the "Adam God" of the murderous band of maniacal religionists which shot three members of the police force Tuesday, had been seen in Armourdale by a railroad man. Police were immediately dispatched to pick up the man's trail. At last midnight Sharp was still at large.

Every lodging house in the city and all the places were searched by the police Tuesday night and yesterday morning in an effort to catch the instigator of the riot of Tuesday afternoon in which Patrolman Albert O. Dublow was killed and two policeman and a citizen were seriously wounded. Many false clues were followed, as every policeman was anxious to find the man who had preached to his followers that it was right to kill.

Though the entire department was working on the case not a trace of Sharp could be found, and the information that he had passed through Armourdale was the first clue that looked good. The railroad man who telephoned to Chief Daniel Ahern that he had seen Sharp, said that the man had trimmed his whiskers and was bleeding. It was known that Sharp had been shot in the hand. When he laid a gun on the bar in John Blanchon's saloon, 400 Main street, while the shooting was going on in the street, the bartender saw that his right hand was bleeding.


According to the story told by the railroad man, Sharp stopped him and asked the direction to Bonner Springs, and then hurried on. He told the chief that he noticed blood on the man's hand and clothes. While Sharp wore a long beard, partly gray, during the fight, when he stopped in the railroad yards in Armourdale the beard was clipped, and his hair had been trimmed. Two hours later the police at No. 2 station were told by Chester Ramsey, a negro barber for George W. Robinson, 956 Mulberry street, that he had cut a man's beard and trimmed his hair and that man might have been the leader of the Adamite fanatics.

Ramsey said that the man came from the east about 5 o'clock Tuesday evening and, when he left the shop went west. The man acted strangely while in the shop, refusing to take either of his hands out of his pockets.

"He got in a chair and ordered me to take his hat off," said the barber. "He kept his hands in his coat pockets while I cut his hair and trimmed his beard I had about half finished when he seemed to get very nervous and said, 'Hurry up. I have to meet a man.' When I got through with him he got out of the chair and had me put his hat on his head. Then he made me take the money out of his left trouser pocket. He explained that his hands had been frozen and he couldn't take them out of his pockets.

"I said, 'You must have been in a colder climate than this. He said, 'Yes, I was up north of here fishin'. That was all he said."

The police believe the man was Sharp. They say he evidently was hiding his right hand, which was shot, and kept the left hand on a revolver in his pocket. The description of the man given by Ramsey coincides with that of Sharp.


The police took precaution to guard the city hall and police headquarters all day yesterday. They were of the opinion that Sharp might return to the scene of the crime on Tuesday, and for revenge enter the station unnoticed and shoot one or more of the officers.

The police are not sure that Sharp is alone. Two patrolmen stood on the sidewalk at the main entrance to the station and two were stationed in the areaway opening on the market. Inside the station two officers guarded the hallway leading to the chief's office and our or five patrolmen and detectives were held in reserve.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

December 9, 1908


But Ryan and Joffee Rushed Upon
the Frenzied Woman and Captured Her.

Samuel Joffee, clerk in the city auditor's office, ran out of the city hall as soon as the firing began, and he, in company with Inspector of Detectives Charles Ryan, captured Mrs. Melissa Sharp, the woman who calls herself Eve, and disarmed her at Second and Delaware streets, whither she had fled form the scene of the battle. Mr. Joffee made the following statement:

"I was in the office when I heard the first shot, and ran out at once. The shooting was going on in front of Probasco's saloon. About that time I saw Eve running along Fourth street toward Delaware, with the three children. Inspector Ryan and I ran after her. She turned north on Delaware, and we caught up with her at the corner of that street and Second, where she had climbed a hill on the east side of Delaware.

"As she stood on top of the hill she drew her revolver and said she would kill the first man who came up. I picked up a brick, but changed my mind and, instead of using it, I ran up the hill with Mr. Ryan and as we grabbed her, all three of us rolled down the twelve-foot incline. At any rate, we got hold of her revolver and wrenched it away, then we took her on up to headquarters."

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

October 22, 1908


The Penalty Is $500 on Each Count.
Many Warrants Out for

Cocaine sellers had a bad day in the municipal court yesterday. In all the fines amounted to $5,000, and that amount was assessed against only two defendants, Christ Adams, clerk for Dr. Harrison Webber, a pharmacist at Fifth and Broadway, drew $500 on two counts each. Claud E. Marshaw, better known among the dope fiends and North End druggists as Goldie, was the second victim of the private investigation of City Attorney Clif Langsdale and was charged with selling cocaine on eight counts. Each count drew a $500 fine. He was convicted on the testimony of Myrtle Morton, a user of the drug.

Seven warrants are in the hands of Sergeant M. E. Ryan for service on C. B. (Bert) Streigle, formerly proprietor of the Fifth and Central streets pharmacy, for selling cocaine. The police could not find Streigle, although he was in the city and telephoned to several of his friends.

During the trial of Christ Adams his attorney, Charles Shannon, was pointed out by one of the cocaine fiends being used as a witness as the man who had put her out of Dr. Webber's drug store and warned her not to return. The attorney attempted to use the woman's mistake as grounds for dismissal of his client's case, but the court refused to listen to his argument.

Late yesterday afternoon T. M. Brinkley, the night clerk at the drug store at Fifth street and Broadway, appeared at city hall and gave himself up. He was wanted for selling cocaine. After appearing before the city attorney he was released on a personal bond to appear in court this morning.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

October 13, 1908


Saturday Half Day Holiday Action Re-
scinded by the Council.

The resolution closing all city hall departments Saturday afternoons the year round was formally rescinded by the upper ho use of the council committee last night. Alderman George H. Edwards, chairman of the finance committee, explained that heads of departments had been consulted. Some had been found that said it would be impossible for them to shape the affairs of their offices to a half-holiday, and others thought it would be unfair to the public to close.

Labels: ,

July 5, 1908


John E. Stroud, the K. U. Man, Dis-
plays Superhuman Strength.

John E. Stroud, the Kansas university man who has been detained at police headquarters since 4:30 o'clock Thursday afternoon because of his demented condition, was yesterday transferred to the general hospital. Stroud is laboring under the hallucination that he is under the spell of a hypnotist, and he came here with the idea that Mayor Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., could remove it.

Stroud has grown gradually worse since his incarceration and early yesterday morning almost demolished the cell in the matron's room in which he was confined. It was bolted to the floor and with the superhuman strength of the insane college student, although a slender man, actually tore the cage from its moorings on the floor. He smashed up two chairs in his cell and began on the iron bed, when that was removed. Stroud reached through the bars of the cage, grabbed a trunk standing near and, with the small purchase that he had, hurled the trunk across the room and upset it against a door.

He was determined to get out, and swore that he would wreck the city hall, but that he would gain his freedom. One of the things which is worrying the police matron is how Stroud reached an iron bed which stood entirely out of his reach across the room. When Mrs. Lizzie Burns went in the cell room at 6 a. m. Stroud had, in some manner, reached the bed, tore off its coverings and dragged the mattress to the side of his cell.

When the young man was removed to the general hospital later in the morning he had to be handcuffed, and on arrival at the hospital was strapped to a bed as he was still violent.

Chief of Police Daniel Ahern received a letter yesterday morning from R. J. Stroud, father of the demented man, at Howard, Kas. In it the father asks the advice of Chief Ahern about what disposition to make of his son.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

May 2, 1908


Spring Malady Affected Many City
Hall Men Yesterday.

The baseball fever took possession of many heads of city hall departments and employes yesterday afternoon, and the malady extended to the board of public works. There was no meeting of the latter body. Next Tuesday the board is scheduled to meet.

During the early hours of the afternoon Mayor Crittenden, R. L. Gregory, president of the board of public works, a number of aldermen and officials sat in carriages and followed through the streets a band that announced the opening game of the baseball season here. "Wearing of the Green" was played as the procession started from the city hall.

Labels: , , , , ,

April 26, 1908


Mayor Crittenden Is Kept Busy by
Place Hunters.

"Another week of listening and no apparent reduction in the waiting list," wearily observed Mayor Crittenden as he closed his offices in the city hall last evening. In the lobby and the corridor reaching his private offices were lines of anxious men, and as the mayor departed he told them all to come back and see him Monday.

"I'll bet I'll get some relief after Monday night. I will then send a batch of nominations to the upper house, and if they are confirmed I'll have more time to give to other city business," said the mayor.

"Getting tired listening?" it was suggested.

"No, not tired, but I'm anxious to get down to work on many of the important issues that confront Kansas City, and it is my ambition to put them under way without any unnecessary delay," answered the mayor.

This week will develop a whole lot of changes in the city hall. Already new faces can be seen in most every department, but the real transformation will begin after the mayor sends to the upper house Monday night a batch of nominations and the board of public works swings the ax, beginning probably on Tuesday.

William Winsted filed a surety bond in the sum of $1,000 yesterday, and took the oath of office as sealer of weights and measures; Ed Winstanley qualified in the sum of $10,000 as city purchasing agent, and Meyer Wechsler deposited a surety company bond for $1,000 and entered upon his duties of market master.

Labels: , , ,

April 14, 1908


Woman Escaped from Holdover and
Outran a Man.

As an ordinary thing a woman cannot outrun a man, especially when both are anywhere near evenly matched. But a woman did outstrip a man last night, and a police officer at that. She did it after escaping from the women's holdover at police headquarters, too.

The woman who was so fleet of foot bears the name of Mrs. Kate Harmon. She is 32 years old, 5 feet 2 inches tall and weighs 115 pounds. She was not handicapped with a broad-brimmed hat, being bareheaded when she made the race.

Philip Welch, jailer, is something over 50 years old. He is 5 feet 11 inches tall and weighs about 160 pounds. It was up to Welch to catch the fleeing Mrs. Harmon.

A messenger had called to see a woman who was in the holdover. Mrs. Harmon had been placed in for safekeeping. She was very nervous, walked the floor continually, and announced, "I want out of here."

As Welch stood in the doorway, his back toward Mrs. Harmon, she stole quietly up to him. When just even with him in the open door she made a dash for liberty. And she dashed some, too. Any one who doubts that may ask Welch.

"There she goes," screamed the woman whom the messenger had come to see.

By the time Welch turned around Mrs. Harmon had passed out of the areaway in the rear of the station, and was in the little street between the market and city hall. Welch made a dash after her. The course was along Fifth street, Mrs. Harmon leading by nine lengths and gaining at every leap.

In a short while Welch returned, panting and alone. "If any one had told me that a woman hampered with her skirts as she is, could run like that woman did, I'd call him a liar," was all he had to say.

Labels: , , , ,

April 1, 1908


Money Is Offered With Few Takers,
Pendergast's Odds.

Bets were being freely offered yesterday at even money as to the result for mayor and candidates on the main city ticket. The bulk of the cash seemed to be in the hands of the Crittenden supporters. Bets of $500 even on the Democratic nominee went begging, but smaller ones of $10, $20 and $50 were quickly called. A well known contractor visited the city hall, saying that he had $2,000 to bet on Crittenden in any sums convenient to Beardsley's supporters. After betting $50, the contractor ceased his bluffing, but promised to call again.

In a pool hall on Delaware street these bets were posted yesterday:

One hundred dollars, even, that Crittenden beats Beardsley.

Fifty dollars, even, Baehr, Republican, beats Ridge, Democrat for city treasurer.

One hundred dollars to 45 that Pendergast, Democrat, beats Rodman, Republican, for alderman of First ward.

Twenty-five dollars, even, Green, Republican, beats Hayes, Democrat, for alderman of Eighth ward.

Fifty dollars, even, that Woolf, Republican. beats beats Norton, Democrat, for alderman of Third ward.

Thirty dollars to $50 that Green beats Hayes.

Twenty-five dollars, even, that Kyle, Republican, beats Casey, Democrat, for police judge.

Labels: , , , , ,

March 30, 1908



Then Go Away Unsatisfied -- Wise
Police Officer Finds a Clue to
a Joke and Advances
a Theory.

Thirty-one women called at the police matron's office yesterday afternoon between the hours of 3 and 6 o'clock to look at the "fat and lean farmers" from Kansas, who came here in search of wives. Did not any of the women want a husband? Yes, they did not. They just came to look at the two men. Every woman interviewed by the reporters laughed at the idea of wanting to get married.

"I just called to see what was going on," said one. "I am a friend of the matron's," explained another. "I just came to rubber at the foolish men," a third made reply.

Twenty-eight of the thirty-one were widows or bachelor girls, of 30 -- or say 29 -- summers. Three were young girls who "just dropped in after the ball game to see the fun." Every woman but one in the crowd wore a Merry Widow hat and clothes that suggested Easter. And the one was garbed in black, "mourning for my dear husband," she sniffled and, to tell the truth, black becomes her white face and dark eyes exceedingly well.

Did any of the thirty-one condescend to speak to the two men? Well, Mrs. John Moran and Mrs. Lizzie Burns, the police matrons, do say that ten of the women went into the inner room of the office, one at a time, with each man, and "talked it all over." Was there any result? Yes, perhaps.

The fat man smiles and smiles. The lean man admits that he didn't find a woman suitable to be the future Mrs. Day -- but that is telling too much. They are coming back to the matron's office this morning, they said on leaving yesterday evening.

According to Mrs. Burns the day was at least half a success. She says:

"The fat farmer without any hair fixed it all up with one woman. She was the third who went with him into the sanctum for a heart to heart talk. What did they say? Oh, I didn't listen to them. Anyhow, I know he took her name and address and she said as she was leaving, all blushes and smiles, that it would take her all night to pack her trunk and that she could not get ready for the wedding before tomorrow.

"She is a nice looking young woman, tall, slender, a brunette and works in the Home telephone office. Oh, I didn't mean to tell you where she worked, so don't please don't publish that. She is a widow, she says. What is her name? I promised not to tell until the skinny man gets him a wife and we have a double wedding.

"No, the skinny man with the lovely mustache and the two farms didn't get one. I don't think he will, either, because he has six children. That many children are an awful handicap for a man looking for a wife. But he is coming back tomorrow."

The thin man said that he wasn't a bit discouraged.

"I came to Kansas City for a good time," he said, "and I've had it. You certainly have a fine lot of women here. Maybe if I didn't have all those children I might have done better, but I am proud of the children and wouldn't give them up for any woman I have seen today. I'm not going to worry over it. Its been a lot of fun sitting here and watching women come with their fine clothes to talk to Evans and me.

"He talks like he had been stung, doesn't he?" whispered Mrs. Moran.

Desk Sergeant Charles McVey, who counted the women going up and down the stairs to the matron's room, tells the story from a different angle.

"I don't believe that the men are farmers or that they want wives. I have a hunch that one of them is this Mr. Piffles, who is in Kansas city advertising a certain brand of automobile and that he comes to the station to put off a joke on the police. I've had a good look at both the fellows, and if I see them again this week, I'll pinch one or both of them on general principles.

"Why, look at this thing sensibly. Here are our two matrons, both widows, both nice looking and fairly young. If those men came here in search of wives wouldn't they steal our matrons instead of conducting a circus performance and making a lot of women put on their best clothes and come trapesing down to the city hall?"

Before the fat man without any hair on top left, he slipped one of the reporters the name and address of a woman. There was pride in his eye, when he did this, and he seemed to be attempting to keep his action from the eyes of the thin man. The reporter tried to find the address, but there is no such street number. Also there is no woman by that name listed in the city directory. The reporter doesn't know whether the woman fooled the fat man or whether the fat man tried to fool the reporter. It'll all come out in the wash today.

Labels: , , , , , ,

March 1, 1908


Mrs. J. T. Woodford Was in Ill
Health and Despondent.

Mrs. J. T. Woodward, 50 years old, the wife of J. T. Woodford, formerly an elevator man at the city hall, drank a half ounce of carbolic acid at her home, 1121 Harrison street, about 6 o'clock yesterday evening. A call for a physician was sent to the emergency hospital from this address at 10:20 o'clock last night. Dr. R. A. Shiras answered the call and found Mrs. Woodford in a semi-comatose condition from the effect of the acid. She was revived and may recover.

Woodford had not called in a physician before he sent the call to the emergency hospital. He told Dr. Shiras that he had not thought it necessary, knowing that his wife had swallowed only a half an ounce of the liquid. He thought that she would recover without the assistance of a physician, And he would thus escape the notoriety.

Mrs. Woodford is said to have been despondent and in ill health.

Labels: , , , , ,

February 28, 1908


For Further Particulars Ask Anybody
at the City Hall.

A brand new "sell" has been going the rounds of the city hall and police headquarters and if there is a man down there who has not been caught his name has been supressed. It has to do with a new holiday and for that reason those hard woring city employes took the bait quickly. Here is the way Captain Snow worked the new gag on Police Judge Harry G. Kyle yesterday.

"I see we will have no court Saturday," suggested the captian.

"Is that so?" inquired his judgeship, trying to think what for.

"Yes," was the reply. "It's a new holiday."

"You don't say?" said the court, as he went clear under with the bait. "What's the occasion?"

"Judge Wallace's birthday," answered the captian gravely.

Just a dozen persons were present when the judge bit and just a dozen "good" cigars were purchased by his honor. Cigar dealers near the hall have profited on account of the "new holiday."

Labels: , , , , ,

February 23, 1907





Even After Being Strapped to Her Bed
She Makes Her Escape For
The Second Time --
Finally Subdued.

Attendants at the emergency hospital have had lively times with insane people, but the most strenuous time so far was Friday night and yesterday morning with Mrs. Emma Lucas, a demented woman, en route from Los Angeles, Cal., to Toledo, O. The woman was acting suspiciously at the Grand Central depot, Second and Wyandotte streets, and was taken to Central station late Friday night for investigation. When it was seen that she was demented she was transferred to the emercency hospital.

Mrs. Lucas, who is 27 years old, is a large woman and strong. She was confined in the women's ward but in a short while some one discovered her ponderous form climbing over the fence surrounding City Hall park. She had escaped through a window.

Dr. Ralph A. Shiras, who is not large, sallied forth in pursuit He overtook the big woman on Fifth near Delaware street and grabbed hold of her. The woman shook him off with ease and in turn grabbed the doctor. Dragging him along behind as she would a toy wagon she walked nearly to the Wyandotte street depot with the struggling doctor before aid in the form of two policemen who loomed up on the horizon. Emma was subdued and again landed in the women's ward.

Early yesterday morning Mrs. Shiras, who is night nurse at the emergency hospital, was busy attending a case and did not notice Mrs. Lucas. She had entered the operating room and, from a case, secured a large surgical knife. The woman was as sly as a fox, as all insane persons generally are, and in concealing the deadly weapon under her garments she went stealthily back to her ward. Her actions were noticed, however, by a patient and the alarm given.

Mrs. Lucas was made to give up the knife and she was then placed to bed and restraining straps put on her. To this she objected very much and was continually crying to be released. When her breakfast was served yesterday morning the insane woman used the knife sent up with the meal to cut her straps.

Once more the big woman made her escape by a window and was not seen until she was climbing over the fence of City Hall park. Across the street she fairly flew into a clothing store, where she demanded the use of a telephone to call for help, she said.

The stream of doctors, attendants and board of health attaches which followed the demented person would remind one strongly of a chase seen almost weekly in the kinodrome pictures at the Orpheum theater. She was corralled and returned, a restraining strap dangling from one of her feet.

In what was thought to be a lucid interval later Mrs. Lucas told Colonel J. C. Greenman, who looks after the insane for the police, that she had hidden a sum of money in the women's wash room at the Grand Central depot. Colonel Greenman searched for it but found nothing. Mrs. Lucas said that when she arrived here the money was in a stocking and that a woman passenger had advised her to take it out. She said she did so and hid it in the washroom.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

November 29, 1907



City Physician Sanders Said to Be
Contemplating Removal of Wom-
en Who Are Thought to Have
Talked "Too Freely."

For some time the rumor has been circulating that on the first of the month the nurses now on duty at the emergency hospital in the city hall will be replaced by male attendants. When Dr. St. Elmo Sanders was asked about the matter he said:

"Yes, I have hard the rumor, and it has been suggested to me that I make the change. I am not saying that such a change will be made, but I will admit that it has been under consideration."

Under the old police surgeon system, where all injured persons were treated in a little room in the areaway in the rear of police headquarters, the main objection to the system was that there were no provisions for the care of injured women. In many instances women, unaccompanied, sustained injuries and were taken to the police surgeon's room in an ambulance. It was often necessary that the surgeon have assistance in preparing his patent to be taken to the general hospital or home. No women nurses being about, this assistance had to come from police, jailers, or bystanders -- all men. The windows to the operating room were uncontained. Oftentimes a woman had to be left in pain and suffering until a female relative, or friend, could be called to be present at what treatment had to be given before the injured woman's removal to a hospital or home.

Since the establishment of the emergency hospital, on January 7 last after the police board did away with its surgeons, the one great pride that the public has had in the institution has been the fact that trained nurses were always on duty. In the miniature hospital is a complete operating room. To one side of that is a female ward with three snowy beds and on the other a male ward with nine beds just as white.

Now when a person is taken there injured, and it is the opinion of the surgeon that he or she not be moved for a time until the shock of the injury is over, proper care can be taken of the victim . Twice during last week it became necessary to take women to the emergency hospital in an ambulance. Madam Anna Etienne, suffocated by smoke in a fire at the Missouri building, was cared for and tenderly placed in bed by the nurses. She died the following day. The other woman, who was struck by a street car, had to be disrobed and placed in bed for the night. Who is to care for women patients in case the trained nurses are removed Dr. Saunders did not say.

It was a great surprise to hear even a rumor afloat about the removal of the female nurses and many wondered why the move, if such is to be the case, was to be. The only reason given, and that, too, is based entirely on rumor, is that it was believed that the nurses at the emergency, who all live at the general hospital, have disclosed information about doings at the general hospital. It was said that they heard a great deal of gossip out at the hospital and then gossiped again when they reached the city hall, and in that way a great many "tips" were given the press. So far as can be learned, however, not a nurse has been guilty of "telling tales out of school," even though they have been accused of it. Dr. Sanders said he would know by December 1 if the change to male attendants was to be made.

Labels: , , , , , ,

July 28, 1907


Billiard Hall Man Felt a Buzzing
of the Head.

When the Royal billiard hall at Eight street and Grand avenue closed early yesterday O. R. Bruns, the proprietor, felt a buzzing in his head. He finally located it in the neighborhood of his ear when that organ began to pain him severly.

"I never did have a bee in my bonnet," said Bruns, "and I don't know what this means."

When the buzzing reached the extent of a miniature thunder storm in his head he hied himself to the emergency hospital in city hall. there Dr. Ford B. Rogers removed a small green bug.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

June 19, 1907


Gamewell Superintendent Cuts
Gash in His Chin.

While shaving himself yesterday morning and trying to talk to his wife at the same time, A. Seeley, superintendent of the police Gamewell signal system, 1001 East Fourteenth street, slipped and cut a deep gash two inches long across his chin. Seeley went to the emergency hospital in the city hall and was treated by Dr. W. E. Gist.

Labels: , , , , , ,

June 9, 1907


They Talked About Fishing, It Is
Said, for Over an Hour.

"Mornin', mayor."

"Glad to see you, alderman. Step right in."

This was the greeting at an early hour yesterday morning in the outer office of Mayor Beardsley between the mayor and Alderman Pendergast. It has become such an unusual thing about the city hall to see the big alderman from the First within a stone's throw of the executive's department that the visit created quite a stir. Moreover, the interest was intensified when the mayor drew the alderman into his private office and closed the door after him. Immediately the story spread from the attic to the basement of the building that Pendergast and the mayor were conferring over police matters, and everybody strained their utmost to find out what was transpiring. But the door was sealed, and so were the lips of the mayor and Pendergast after the end of an hour's conference.

"Just a call from the alderman about some pending lower house of the council legislation, and which drifted into a social chat," explained the mayor.

"What did you talk about?"

"Farming in Kansas. You know the alderman has a ranch over there -- fishing and a smattering of politics."

"Nothing concerning the police investigation?"

"Pendergast isn't interested in that, is he?" innocently interrogated the mayor.

It is well understood that Alderman Pendergast doesn't want to see the political buccaneers drive Chief Hayes from his job, and the dope given out by those on the inside was that the visit to the mayor by Pendergast was to intercede for his friend. He verified the mayor's fish story.

Labels: , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory