Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

November 26, 1909



Defeat Jayhawkers In a
Great Battle 12 to 6.
Missouri Tigers Wallop the Kansas Jayhawks.

Bitterly, even heroically, contesting every inch of the Tigers' invasion the Kansas Jayhawkers went down to defeat before Missouri, by a score of 12 to 6. The biggest crowd that ever witnessed a football game in Kansas City passed through the gates yesterday at Association park. Long before the park opened at 12:30, large lines of rooters were headed for the different entrances and by 1 o'clock the 200 ushers were more than busy. Many persons who were unable to get seats took advantage of the buildings in the vicinity and trees, roofs and telegraph poles were crowded. The yelling was probably the best that was ever given by the rival universities.

Even when the Jayhawkers realized that they were beaten, their spirit was not broken. With the cheer leaders who were placed in the center of the field, 2,000 students echoed their famous war cry when they knew it was of no avail.


By 2 o'clock, a half hour before the game started, the seats were all taken .. It was one mass of color. On the south side the crimson and blue of Kansas flaunted saucily in the light breeze, while the somber yellow and black of Missouri floated in the north bleachers. Across the high board fence in the rear of the Missouri section, the Tiger enthusiasts had stretched a long canvas on which was painted "Missouri Tigers." It was unnecessary work, for any stranger in the city could have told from the yelling that the Missouri rooters were seated in that particular section.

The K. U. contingent was the first to open hostilities in the matter of yelling. The band, twenty-four in number, gayly dressed in crimson and blue suits, marched out on the field, and commenced to play the "Boola, Boola," which brought the Kansas rooters to their feet. For fully five minutes the Kansans had their inning. The cheer leaders with frantic gestures signalled for the famous "Rock Chalk," which echoed across the field for five more minutes.


The Tigers a few minutes later had their chance. Out on the Belt Line tracks on the north side of the park a snorting engine pushed a Pullman and from the entrance twenty-two men in football uniform emerged and stealthily crept toward the park. The springy step told that ten weeks' training had not been for nothing. Before the roots were hardly aware of their presence they had filed into the park through the north entrance. A cheer that could have been heard for a mile greeted the Missouri players. The military band commenced on "Dixie" and for a moment the air was one mass of yellow and black. The cheering only stopped when the team lined up for a signal practice.

The Kansas team arrived on the field at 1:45. They came through the southwest entrance and their red blankets were more than conspicuous as they raced across the gridiron. A cheer that rivaled the Tigers' greeting arose from thousands of Kansas admirers, and lasted fully as long as that given their rivals. Until the game started, promptly at 2:30 o 'clock, the two sections vied with each other in giving the yells of their respective schools. The Missouri band, to demonstrate its ability to play, marched in front of the Kansan stands and played a funeral dirge.

With this great victory goes the championship of the Missouri valley conference for 1909 and the honor of having an undefeated team for the season, the first Missouri ever had. Not only this, but it shows how superior Roper is as a coach over Kennedy, winning with an eleven lighter, no faster, but so thoroughly trained in football that it outclassed the Kansas team, especially in kicking.

This is the first battle the Missouri Tigers have won from Kansas since 1901. It is the first time Missouri has crossed the red and blue goal line since 1902. This is the fourth win for Missouri in the past nineteen years and so great was this victory that all Missouri is celebrating.

On straight football Kansas made 298 yards during the game while Missouri made but 190. On punting Missouri was the victor, making 780 yards in 21 attempts, for an average of over 37 yards to the punt, while Kansas made 465 yards in twelve attempts for an average of over 38 yards to the punt. Punting really won the game for Missouri.


Chancellor Strong's visit to President Hill of Missouri in a neighboring box was watched with interest.

"It's too bad; you will lose," the tall Kansas chief executive greeted President Hill. Both smiled and shook hands.

"Just watch," was President Hill's rejoiner.

Mayor Crittenden occupied a box in the center of the field in front of the Missouri section. When the first score was made a few minutes after the game started the mayor threw his had in the air and yelled like a collegian. Frank Howe, who sat in the same box, was equally as demonstrative.

When the second band of rooters arrived in the city yesterday morning they maintained the same confidence that existed until the kickoff. At Thirteenth and Central streets the Missouri band started a procession which was several blocks long. Up the principal streets of the city the crowd wended its way, giving the Tiger yell. In front of the Coates, the headquarters of the Jayhawkers, the long line stopped and gave a serenade. Even the "Rock Chalk" yell wasn't able to drown out the "Tiger, Tiger, M. S. U."


Though the Tigers were confident that they would win, the demanded odds and were generally successful in getting 2 to 1 money. It is thought that the boarding houses in Lawrence will have to wait for board for many weeks, for most of the K. U. students considered the proposition a joke that Missouri would win.

"Just putting your money out at good interest," was the way one K. U. man characterized it.

The crowd was especially well handled at the game. The twelve entrances provided enough room to admit ticket holders as fast as they applied for admission. After conclusion of the game there were jams at the gates, but no one was injured.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

November 19, 1909


Only Four in the Audience When
Explosion Took Place.

Frank Tierney, of 320 West Thirteenth street, was burned about the face and hands in an attempt to extinguish a fire that started from the explosion of a moving picture machine at the cozy theater, 1300 Main street, yesterday afternoon. There were four persons in the audience at the time.

Tierney was attended by Dr. Hamilton and sent to his home. The damage to the theater was slight.

Labels: , , , , , ,

September 13, 1909



J. E. Stivers Arrested on Charge of
Damaging Property from Fifth
to Thirteenth Street --
Denies He Is Vandal.

All records in plate glass window cutting were broken last night by J. E. Stivers, a candymaker for the Loose-Wiles Cracker and Candy Company. In years past the record in Kansas City has been a few straggling windows, entailing a cost of from $300 to $400, but Stivers's cutting began at Thirteenth street and Grand avenue and he carried the line of march to Main street and down that street to Fifth, where he was arrested. In all, Stivers damaged sixty-three plate glass windows. If the glass has to be replaced, the total cost would not fall short of $5,000, it is estimated. Most of the places which suffered most carry plate glass insurance.

Edward Clark, recently appointed a Gamewell operator at the Walnut street police station, saw Stivers when he made his first cut on a plate glass window at the Ayres Clothing Company, 1309 Grand avenue. He followed him to Main street, along Thirteenth and down Main to Fifth, seeing him use a 1/4 karat diamond ring on all of the most valuable windows along Main street. It did not occur to Clark to make an arrest. The arrest took place while Stivers was making a final slash at a large window of the Hub Clothing Company at Fifth and Main streets. Herman Hartman, a police officer, chanced to be passing and arrested the culprit.

After leaving Thirteenth and Grand, Stivers made his way to Main street, where he wrote his initials on a glazed monument of the M. H. Rice Monument Company at that point. It was shortly after 9 p. m. when he reached Jones' Dry Goods Company's store and many persons were on the street so he succeeded in cutting but seven of the valuable windows. Some of them are cut so deeply that a tap would knock out part of the glass.

Stivers' route from here was made by jumps, he evidently passing some places on account of the night crowds. He missed most of the stores in the block between Eleventh and Twelfth streets on Main. Altogether, he damaged the windows of more than thirty clothiers, milliners, saloons, flower shops, fortune tellers and other retailers and unoccupied buildings.

When Stilvers began by the Jones Dry Goods Company, when his diamond was in good working order, he appears to have done the greatest damage.

When seen in the holdover after his arrest, Stivers was awakened from a stupor. He told who he was and said he had been working for the Loose-Wiles company for twenty years. He is now 22 years old.

"If any of those windows are damaged I did not do it," he said.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

July 26, 1909


Dale Gardner Just Strolling Around
When He Found Rig.

"Strolling around" was the reason given by Dale Gardner to the police yesterday for being up at 2 o'clock a. m. At Thirteenth street and Baltimore avenue his eyes fell upon a horse and buggy. The buggy did not belong to him but he got in and drove around the city. Later he invited three companions to drive with him. Eylar Brothers, to whom the horse and buggy belonged, missed it and made a report to the police.

Patrolmen Thomas Eads and Edward Matteson arrested Gardner and his friends at Sixth and May streets just as the sun was rising.

All were charged with disturbing the peace, and their bonds fixed at $26.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

July 19, 1909



Five Highwaymen With Revolvers
Get Dollar Apiece From One Vic-
tim -- Diamonds and Watches
Among the Loot.

Six holdups occurred in Kansas City Saturday night and Sunday morning. In every case the robbers succeeded in getting money, and some of the victims gave up their watches.

Frank Serrett, 829 South Valley street, Kansas City, Kas., the first victim to complain to the police, reported that two men held him up in the alley between Main and Walnut on Ninth street. While one of the highwaymen searched his pockets, the other man kept him covered with a pistol A watch and $10 comprised the booty.

At 10 o'clock Saturday night George Mangoe, 115 1/2 Central street, Kansas City, Kas., reported that he had been robbed by two men, and his watch stolen. The robbery occurred at Ninth and Wyoming streets.

It took five men to stop and rob James Bone, 4413 Bell avenue, at about 11 p. m., at Forty-first and Bell avenue, at about 11 p. m., at Forty-first and Bell avenue. According to Bone, all of the robbers were armed with revolvers and held them in sight. He gave up $5 to the brigands.

A watch at $7 were taken from J. W. Brown, 1326 Grand avenue, at Thirteenth and Franklin streets by two men.

H. A. Lucius, 215 West Fourteenth street, reported to the police that he had been robbed or $50 near 2854 Southwest boulevard.

G. W. Shaw, Strong City, Kas., entered police headquarters early Sunday morning and informed the police that he had been robbed in front of a saloon near McGee and Third streets. He reported the loss of an Elk's tooth and two unset diamonds.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

May 18, 1909



Misunderstood Court Proceedings
Yesterday When Witnesses Were
Being Examined -- Change of
Venue Has Been Asked.

James Sharp, self-styled "Adam God," appeared as his own counsel in the criminal court yesterday afternoon. Disregarding protests from his attorneys, who tried to make him sit down, Sharp arose and interrupted a witness who was on the stand.

"Judge, your honor," said the leader of the fanatics, "haven't I got any right to say anything? I'd like to say something in my own behalf."

"You have your attorneys," said Judge Latshaw, for by this time Sharp was beginning to talk.


"I hear all this talk against me," resumed the fanatic, "but there's nothing said about these officers that tried to take my family from me. They shot at me from in front and from behind. If this is the house of God -- and the house of God is where they judge between the just and the unjust -- then I ought to be heard. That's the truth, and just the truth. They're trying to lay it all on me and not showing about these people who forced me into this."

"We are only seeing whether the people are prejudiced against you, Mr. Sharp," the court said. "You are not on trial right now."

"Excuse me, I see now," remarked Sharp and sat down.

The outburst from Sharp came after a number of witnesses had testified as to whether Sharp could get a fair trial in Jackson county. His attorneys had asked a change of venue for him and for Melissa Sharp, his wife, whose trial on the charge of killing Patrolman Michael Mullane was set for yesterday. Judge Latshaw gave the attorneys twelve witnesses to make their showing of prejudice. Nine were examined yesterday afternoon. The others and the state's witnesses are to be heard today.


Should the court overrule the application for a change of venue, the selection of the jury will be begun at once.

It was all so much like a real trial yesterday that Sharp, seeing witness after witness take the stand, believed his trial was in progress. This is what prompted his address to the court. Throughout the testimony he sat by the side of his while listening intently to every question.

Sharp's beard has been allowed to grow, but otherwise he presents little change from his appearance last December, when he was first placed in the county jail. The most noticeable change is in the use of his hands when he speaks. Of old he waved them with many gestures, but now he holds them awkwardly. He was shot in both hands during the fight with officers. His wife's appearance has altered to no perceptible extent.


Among the witnesses examined yesterday were the following: Henry Hunt, a horseshoer at 1619 Grand avenue; W. W. Correll, special government agent, Thirteenth and Harrison; James Cole, W. R. Heath and L. M. Dempsey, attorneys; M. T. Crume, saloonkeeper at 1225 1/2 Grand avenue.

All of them were asked questions as to whether they believed the Sharps could have a fair trial in Jackson county. Practically all of them said many people believed the Sharps were insane. As the defense is to be insanity, this did not strongly back up the plea of prejudice. Unless the showing of the defense as to prejudice is materially strengthened today, the prospects are strongly against a venue change being granted. All the witnesses so far examined live in the city and nothing has been introduced to show that prejudice exists in the county outside city limits.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

March 23, 1909


John W. Roberts Held Under $2,000
Bond on a Charge of Bigamy.

John W. Roberts, a promoter, with offices in the Jenkins building, Thirteenth street and Grand avenue, was arraigned before Justice Richardson yesterday, charged with bigamy. The complaint was filed by Mrs. Maggie Roberts, 2305 Minnie avenue, who claims that Roberts, after deserting her nearly four years ago, married Teressa Helmer in Denver, Col., in June, 1906. Roberts was released on $2,000 bond for preliminary examination April 2.

"I was married twenty-two years ago, and lived with my wife until about four years ago," said Roberts yesterday. "We simply could not get along together, and I left her. Since that time I have sent an average of $75 a month to her. She came into my office last Monday, and demanded that I give her $100. This I refused to do, and told her that I would allow her $40, which she took.

"We had two children, Lillian, aged 19, and William T. aged 17. My daughter is living with her mother, and the boy just arrived in Kansas City today from Texas, where he has been working. He probably will make his home with me at 1122 Tracy avenue, if he remains in this city."

William T. Roberts met his father in the Jenkins building last night. He said that with a few exceptions Roberts had provided regulary for his first family.

The second Mrs. Roberts is living at 1122 Tracy avenue and is the mother of a 7-months-old baby girl.

When asked what his plans were, Roberts said:

"I have no plans. When the proper time comes I will make my statement. These charges have been brought against me and they will have to be proved. There is nothing farther to say."

Labels: , , , , ,

March 21, 1909


Street Car Struck Coal Wagon and
the Wagon Jammed a Hearse.

An east-bound Twelfth street car collided with a coal wagon, which was waiting for a funeral procession to pass, forcing it into the hearse and nearly overturning the latter at Twelfth and Holmes streets yesterday morning. Jesse Roylston, a negro driver, was thrown from the coal wagon. His hip was bruised. He was taken to the general hospital.

The accident happened so quickly that no one could account for it afterward, but it is said to have been partly due to the abruptness with which the coal wagon driver halted his team in front of the car.

The funeral was that of Robert Burns of 1305 East Thirteenth street, and the procession, under the direction of the Woodmen of hte World, was on its way to St. Patrick's church. The hearse belonged to the J. C. Duffy Undertaking Company of Fifteenth street and Grand avenue and was driven by John Muser. It was only slightly damaged.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

March 9, 1909


City Chemist Will Investigate if Im-
pure Milk the Cause.

Impure milk is thought to have caused the death of Winona Montgomery, the 4-year-old daughter of A. H. Montgomery, a carpenter living at 312 West Thirteenth street. The child, one of a family of six little ones, got up Sunday morning and played around the ho use, apparently in excellent spirits. Her oldest sister, Myra, went to a dairy and bought a quart of milk to be used in preparing breakfast. The milk, the mother says, was taken from the dairy to the house in a three-quart pail recently washed with hot water.

Winona asked for a drink of milk, and her mother poured her a glassful. Mrs. Montgomery then proceeded to make gravy with the milk, and as soon as it was finished put some of it on a biscuit, which the little girl ate. A few seconds later Winona complained of violent pains in her stomach. Mrs. Montgomery attributed the child's illness to the milk, which was the only thing she had eaten that day, and did not allow any other person to drink any of it. Winona was put to bed, and died about 6 o'clock in the evening.

Dr. Emmanuel Manko, who was called, turned the milk that was left over to Dr. Walter Cross, city chemist, for chemical analysis. The body of the little girl will be taken to Memphis, Mo., for burial.

Labels: , , , , ,

March 8, 1909


Has Only 20 Boarders and There Is
Room for Forty.

Few people in Kansas City know of the existence of the Girls' hotel at 900 West Thirteenth street. While it bears that name the institution is open to both working women and working girls. It is maintained at present by private contributions. Only girls and women who earn $6 a week and less are admitted.

The hotel was opened last winter by the council of women's clubs. The building will accommodate forty borders, but at present only twenty are availing themselves of its accommodations. The object of the hotel is to furnish a clean and comfortable home surrounded by all the refined influences of a real home. The rates are within the reach of every guest, no matter if she earns only $2 a week. The guests pay according to the amount of their weekly income.

The management of this worthy institution is endeavoring to get the fact of its existence before employers in the big stores in the city and also of the factories, where women and girls are employed. The rooms are comfortably furnished and, being strictly under a woman's management, everything is scrupulously clean. It is believed that if the little hotel can be kept full it may some day become self-sustaining. At the present time it is not, but the girls get full rations just the same and it is good, wholesome food, too.

Labels: , ,

February 14, 1909



Eva Springsteen Fair Caught in Of-
ficial Round-Up at Bartles-
ville, Ok. -- Her
Varied Career.

Eva Springsteen Fair, the woman who bewitched a Croatian priest of Kansas City, Kas., into marriage eight years ago, has again burst into the light of notoriety at Bartlesville, Ok., her present field. Among nine other holders of licenses she has been enjoined from selling liquor. She is now said to be the wife of a Bartlesville liveryman. Of the twenty-eight places where intoxicants are sold, twenty-two are listed for injunction.

Mrs. Fair, as she prefers to be known professionally, has left a wake of witchery wherever she has gone, but she served her piece de resistance when she inveigled Father Antony Politeo away from his priestly vows and his parish of simple Croatians to St. Joseph, where they were married November 19, 1901. Upon their return to Kansas City she is said to have left him at the Union depot and refused to live with him. Politeo, be it said, was straightway unfrocked and his wife obtained a divorce at Independence in the early part of 1907 on the grounds of abandonment and neglect. Soon after her divorce she went to Bartesville, where she has been living since.


Many have been the vicissitudes of Mrs. Fair. As Eva Springsteen she was born in Manhattan, Kas., but later was taken by her parents to Atchison. There she was educated and received a diploma from the local high school. With other girl graduates, clad in commencement white, she sat demurely and listened with kindling ambition to the baccalaureate sermon, wherein the homilist shouted to them in his climax that "beyond the Alps lies Italy." Her intentions were no doubt good at first, but, figuratively, she tired of the irksome Alpine climb and strayed down into into the pleasant field of France an on to its gay capital, tarrying not far from the Moulin Rouge. After graduation she edited for a while the society page of an Atchison paper. She also waited behind a depot lunch counter in that city. On coming to Kansas city, she took the name of Mrs. Eva M. Fair. Here it was that she met Politeo on the street. She dropped her handkerchief. The priest picked it up and returned it to her with a bow. Smiles were exchanged and there was a stroll.


Politeo was a man of undoubted intellectual attainments. He gave inconsistent accounts of himself, however, and among other distinctions claimed acquaintance with Gabriel d'Annunzio and Sienkiewicz, the author of "Quo Vadis." By reason of his heterodox opinions, political and religious, he was banished from Austria and the church and went to Italy. Later he became reconciled with the church and his political heresies were pardoned by Emperor Francis Joseph. Then he was sent to America to take religious charge of his people in the coal fields of Pennsylvania. After that he came West and organized the Croatians who worked in packingtown into a parish. Thus as shepherd of his trustful flock he administered to their spiritual wants until the fair charmer tripped his path. Then began his undoing.


Mrs. Fair and her lawyer cheerfully admitted that she had married the priest for his money. She claimed, however, she did not know of his churchly office until after their marriage at St. Joseph and that he wanted her to live with him as his housekeeper. This, she said, she refused to do. Five years later she got a divorce.

In the meantime she formed a sort of partnership with one George W. Robinson and together they kept a rooming house at 312-314 East Thirteenth street, this city. Soon she claims her partner became delinquent. She sued for dissolution of the partnership and the payment of what money was due her. At any rate Robinson, who was said to be a grain broker, dropped out of her life, and she kept pretty well out of the limelight until she began suit for divorce from Politeo.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

February 14, 1909


Pedestrians and Horses Had Perilous
Time of It Last Evening.

Slipping, sliding, skidding, gliding horses and wagons delayed traffic, blocked the street cars, frightened pedestrians and were generally in the way of each other and everybody else in the downtown district yesterday afternoon, when, after 4 o'clock, a drizzling rain froze on the pavements and sidewalks, covering everything with a thin coating of ice. Horses and men, as well as many women, fell on the streets.

On Main street, on the grade between Tenth and Eleventh streets, and on Eleventh street from Walnut to McGee it became necessary to station extra police to assist the regular crossing policemen in handling teams. Loaded wagons were not allowed to pass up or down on these grades, the experience of a year ago, when a large wagon, heavily loaded, skidded down Eleventh street, overturning in its slide damaged obstacles in its path, and broke a plate glass window at the corner of Eleventh and Walnut streets, being sufficient warning.

There were numerous minor accidents with street cars and several collisions with wagons. At Thirteenth street and Troost avenue, a wagon skidded into a Troost car, smashing the front end of the car and delaying traffic for a while.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

November 2, 1908


Purpose Is to Provide Home Sur-
roundings for Young Women That
Toil -- Charge is $2.50 a Week.

The doors of the girls' hotel will be thrown open this morning. This enterprise, undertaken by the Council of Women's Clubs of Kansas City, promises to fill a vacancy long felt in this field of work. It is the purpose of the founders of this hotel to provide, at a reasonable rate, a home where the young woman who is alone in the world or compelled by force of circumstances to earn her own livelihood, may feel the pure atmosphere of home life. The hotel is not intended as a house of refuge.

Working girls who can satisfy the board of directors as to their qualifications for entering the hotel family well be kept on a charge of $2.50 a week. The hotel opens this morning with three boarders and the home is in charge of the matron, Mrs. Annie Hall.

"We are looking forward with great hopes for the success of the working girls' hotel," said Mrs. E. L. Chambliss, president of the Council of Women's Clubs. "The building at 900 West Thirteenth street is partly furnished and donations are arriving every day. The merchants have responded generously and within a few days we expect to have everything in smooth working order. We are anxious to make this institution a home where the more sordid things of life may be lost sight of and where high and ennobling ideals may be formed."

A committee has been appointed from among the members of the various women's clubs in the city to solicit monthly subscriptions for the maintenance of this work. Later it is hoped that the hotel may become self-supporting, but at present it must be kept up by those interested in the work.

Labels: , , ,

October 13, 1908


Thirteenth and Woodland Will Be New
Site of Home and Mission.

Alderman Edmund E. Morris last night got through the lower house an ordinance granting the right to erect a building at Thirteenth street and Woodland avenue by the Florence Crittenton Home and Mission. During former years in the council it has been hard for rescue homes and kindred institution to secure the privelege of building in the city. No alderman whished one in his ward. The Tenth ward now has two and since the Florence Crittenton institution has raised enough money to build, Alderman Morris said he thought it should have permission and he got it for the home.

Labels: , , ,

August 31, 1908


Salvation Army Has Adopted New
Plan of Education in Ranks -- One
Hundred Students Already.

"Salvation by correspondence" is being extended to more than 200 young men and women in the Southwestern province of the Salvation Army by the department of young peoples' work, recently reorganized and put in charge of Staff Captain William Kiddle and his wife, who is of the same rank. They have just organized their school by preparing the lessons which are sent out for the students all over the province to master. The active school work will begin soon. Twenty-five of the pupils enrolled are in the district of Nebraska and Dakota, and seventy-five are in Oklahoma. The others are in the Kansas division.

The courses offered extend over six months each and ten of them must be completed before a certificate will be awarded and the pupil allowed to enter a higher school for the training of officers. The supervision of the lessons is entrusted to the officers of the corps to which the cadet is attached.

Besides the work for the training of religious teachers, schools will be established for the teaching of trades and manual training to the Army training. They will meet once a week in the afternoon. Meetings have been held by the local band in the citadel hall, at Thirteenth and Walnut streets.

Labels: , ,

August 5, 1908


Parents of Girls Arrested by Him
Will Make Complaint.

That Wanda McComb, aged 14 years, and Freda Westerman, aged 15 years, the two girls who were taken in charge by a man representing himself to be a park policeman while they were listening to a band concert at Thirteenth and Summit streets Monday night, were roughly handled and subjected to abusive treatment by their captor, was made evident from several ugly wounds on little Miss McComb's hands and a statement by her yesterday. The girl's father will prefer information against the accused man.

"We were doing nothing when the man came up and caught hold of us," said Wanda. "He told us that he was an officer and that we were under arrest. When we endeavored to learn the reason for our arrest the man swore at us and dug his fingernails into our arms and hands as he dragged us along,"

The girl said that the man told them that they were to go to the Detention home, but instead of taking them directly there compelled them to ride about on a car and finally walked them a considerable distance to the home, where he was censured by officials and sent away. The girls finally were found at the Detention home by the parents of Wanda who, becoming worried because of her absence, were looking for her.

Both girls, although neither knows his name, declare that they will be able to identify the policeman who caused them so much trouble, and when this is done complaints will be lodged against him with the police and park boards.

The girls have been requested to appear at the Detention home today and relate their experiences to F. E. McCreary, deputy probation officer.

Labels: , , , , ,

June 18, 1908


Films Will Be Exposed in the Retail
Section Today.

If your wife's new directoire is finished, dress her up and parade her in the downtown district this afternoon.

That is a duty a good citizen owes Kansas City today, of all days in the year, for today the town goes on the motion picture films to be exhibited all over the world.

A special street car carrying the phenomenal machine which puts you and your smile on the films will start at 1:30 o'clock from Thirteenth street and Grand avenue. If you chance to be strolling from the postoffice about this time the face you turn toward the machine will be exhibited in Hale's Tours in amusement places in many countries.

Here is the route of the car: From the start at Thirteenth street and Grand avenue the first run will be on Grand avenue to Fifth street, west on Fifth street to Walnut street. The car will start south on Walnut street at 1:45, 2 o'clock it will run north on Main street to the city hall and at 2:30 o'clock it will run from Wyandotte and Eighth streets east to Oak street. This will end the first day's film making.

Of course this is going to be done only provided the weather is clear. Next week, probably Saturday or Sunday, the machine will be placed on an automobile and pictures made of the boulevards. When the flood waters recede pictures will be made of the manufacturing district in the West Bottoms and later interior views of the banks and other large institutions will be made.

The films are made in sections. As the Kansas City film will appear it will show Kansas City from an inbound Wabash passenger train, giving a glimpse of the intercity viaduct.

The pictures will be made and exhibited by the International Publicity Company.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

May 29, 1908





"Ain't You Next?" Said O'Hearn's
Friend; "You're to Let Her
Alone." -- More of the Pow-
er of Mickey O'Hearn.

After the order of the board of police commissioners Wednesday a reporter for The Journal had no trouble in seeing the books at No. 4 police station yesterday. And a view of these books proved the charges that every man since the first of the year, who has been active in arresting women "night hawks" has been taken out of plain clothes and removed from the district. One man was left in the district but he was taken from that special duty and put back into uniform.

The records showed that officers had been taken from that duty even before January 1 -- in fact, any man who has been too active since the reorganized police department took charge of affairs after Governor Joseph W. Folk's "rigid investigation" has been shifted. This is not only true of No. 4 district by even in No. 1 district, headquarters. This does not pertain alone to the arresting of dissolute women but to interference with certain saloons which were selling liquor on Sunday. That charge is made in regard to No. 1 district more than any other. Of course, some saloons have been caught; but they are not the influential ones; those run by "our political friends."

While the records at No. 4 station practically prove all the assertions made in regard to that district it is said that no blame can be laid at the door of Captain Thomas P. Flahive. It is not he who has had the men taken out of citizens clothes and transferred Those who know say he has been handicapped by having only a few men to do the work in his district and by an unseen power which has been able to have men removed when they did their full duty.


The records show that Daniel Doran, who worked there for years, arrested thirty-five women just before January 1. He was threatened by well dressed vagrants and told that he would be moved. And by the grace of the unseen power he was moved January 1, last, going in uniform to No. 9 -- the "sage brush" district.

The commanding officers and sergeants under whom Edward Prewett worked in No. 4 precinct speak well of him. He was there nearly eight years, and it was never said that Prewett did not do his full duty. In fat, it has been said that "Prewett would bring in his grandmother if ordered to do so."

In December, Prewett was detailed alone to bring in women of the streets. In eighteen days he brought in thirty-five of them. But from all sides, even from the women and especially the dude vagrants, he heard, "You won't last beyond January 1." One night Prewett arrested a woman named Kate Kingston. Last year this woman was fined $500 by Police Judge Harry G. Kyle, and at that time the records showed that she had been fined 106 times in police court.


As he started away with the woman, "Ted" Noland appeared on the scene. "Turn that woman loose," he said; "you ain't next are you? She's to be let alone." Prewett was not "next," for he was also arrested Noland, and that was his undoing. Noland threatened the officer and told him he would personally see to it that he was moved. And Prewett was moved January 1, going in uniform to No. 6. Noland was fined $50 in police court the day following his arrest.

Noland is well known to the police, and in January, 1907, was fined $500 on a charge of vagrancy. That same Kate Kingston, over whom he threatened the officer, testified then that he and a man named Deerwester had beaten her at Thirteenth and Main streets. Deerwester got a similar fine. Their cases were appealed and the men were soon out out on bond.

Noland is a friend of Alderman "Mickey" O'Hearn, and, until recently, could be seen almost any day about his saloon at 1205 Walnut street; also about the saloon of Dan Leary at Fourteenth and Walnut streets. The records show that Leary has gone the bonds of scores of street women. At one time Judge Kyle objected to the n umber of personal bonds that Leary was signing and required that they be made in cash.


The influence of Alderman "Mickey" O'Hearn may be better understood when it is known how he is reverenced by many members of the police department. When the Folk "investigation" was begun in May last year the commissions of probably half the department were held up. This conversation was overheard one day between two of the officers out of commissions.

"I'll tell you these are ticklish times," one said. "I have all my friends to work and am assured that I am all right."

"I'm up a tree," the other replied. "I don't know what to do. I have always tried to do my duty and can't imagine why I am held up."

"Why don't you see 'Mickey'?" his friend said with astonishment. "I thought you were wise. You know 'Mickey,' don't you You do; then go and see him and the whole things squared. That's what I did."

From that day to this the word has gone out through the whole department, "See 'Mickey' if you are in bad. He'll fix it."

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

May 24, 1908


Not Enough Cars to Carry
All the Presbyterians.

Three hundred ministers and commissioners to the 120th general assembly of the Presbyterian church got a soaking yesterday afternoon that was unorthodox to say the least. In less than an hour after they has started on a two-hour automobile ride over the boulevards and through the parks of Kansas City, the rain suddenly fell in torrents and it continued falling for nearly an hour.

This feature of the ride was not according to schedule and neither was that contingency looked for when the start was made from Convention hall. The ministers and commissioners started out without umbrellas or raincoats and many of the automobiles were without hoods so they got a genuine soaking. When the rain first began falling, many of the automobiles deserted the line and made straightway for Convention hall or for the hotel of the commissioners. Others stayed in the line and completed the ride.

On the whole, the plans and arrangements for the automobile ride did not work out as well as the committee had expected. While more than 100 automobiles had been promised, not more than fifty showed up at Convention hall at 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon. These were speedily filled by the waiting commissioners. Enough tickets had been distributed to fill the number of automobiles expected and consequently there were many disappointed commissioners. Those who were unable to secure seats returned to their hotels.


The "Seeing Kansas City" cars took care of a great number of the commissioners and their wives. Some preferred this ride to the automobiles because of the fact that they were allowed to take the women with them. The cars were sent over the usual route. The automobiles were sent over the most advantageous route in the city. They were headed by guides on motor cycles.

The start was made from Convention hall promptly at 2:30 o'clock. E. M. Clendening was master of ceremonies.

"Are you all ready?" he called down the line.

Shouts assured him they were. The sharp pop-pop of starting motors and the pungent smell of burning gasoline next greeted the ears and nostrils of the ministers and commissioners. Then slowly the line started down Thirteenth street to Grand avenue. The ministers joked each other and the good natured taunts of those left behind were directed at those in automobiles.

"You needn't hold your head so high just because it is your first ride in an automobile," yelled one as a friend disappeared down the street in one of the six cylinder cars.

"Did you never see an automobile before?" asked one commissioner of another who was examining the steering gear of one of the machines.

"I see plenty of them now, if I have never seen them before," returned the friend.

Altogether, it was a good natured and happy bunch of ministers, elders and commissioners that took that ride. They had had two days of strenuous work in the sessions of the assembly, and the afternoon gave opportunity for a general laxity from those arduous duties. William Henry Roberts, the former moderator and now stated clerk; the Rev. B. P. Fullerton and E. M. Clendening occupied the first automobiles.


Post card souvenirs and souvenir books illustrating the parks and boulevards of Kansas City were handed to the commissioners before they stepped into the automobiles. The booklets were given by the park board and besides the illustrations of the parks and boulevards contained some facts and figures concerning the city. These facts and figures were prepared by the Manufacturer's and Merchants' Association. This is the first opportunity that the park board has had of giving these booklets away. The post cards contained this printed message which the recipients were directed to send to their home folks:

Dear Home Folks: Having an enjoyable visit here. Am an honorary member of the Commercial Club's Prosperity Club. The motto is "Look Pleasant, Be Cheerful, Talk Prosperity. Yours --"

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

May 14, 1908


Park Board Could Use the $15,000
the Minstrels Have on Hand.

At a recent meeting of the park board a resolution was adopted recommending the following improvements:

Building a front and installing shower baths in the public bath house on the Paseo at a cost of $4,000; making and installation of shower baths in North End playground, $4,000; installation of shower baths and remodeling in Warner square, Thirteenth and Summit streets, $2,000; enlargement of building in Holmes square, $4,000; building bath house in the Grove, $8,000; bath house in northwest corner of Penn valley park, $8,000; purchase of ground and building bath house on Admiral boulevard, $15,000.

The resolution invited the Megaphone minstrels to turn over to the park board the $15,000 they have in their treasury to assist in carrying out the resolution, and also extended the same invitation to the Playgrounds Association to come forward with the funds it has on hand.

Labels: , , , , , ,

May 7, 1908


Eugene Lane, 7 Years Old, Killed by
Santa Fe Train on Belt
Line Trestle.

While returning to his home at 3810 East Fifteenth street yesterday evening about 6 o'clock, Eugene Lane, age 7 years, was caught on the long trestle of the Belt line railroad near Thirteenth street and Jackson avenue and killed. The boy was struck by an eastbound Santa Fe passenger train while midway on the trestle and the impact of the engine threw him against one of the iron uprights, crushing his skull.

Eugene Lane was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Lane, who live at 3810 East Fifteenth street, and had ben sent to a neighbor's house on an errand for his mother. The boy had been in the habit of using the trestle in making journeys to and form the neighborhood to which he was sent, but had forgotten that a train was due when he attempted to cross the trestle yesterday afternoon.

Edward Lane, the father of the boy, has a blacksmith shop at 3406 East Fifteenth street. The boy was an only son.

Labels: , , , , , ,

May 3, 1908


Antics of Woman on Twelfth Street
Brought Many Police.

A deranged woman chasing automobiles in the neighborhood of Twelfth street and Tracy avenue last night about 10 o'clock brought police from three districts to that vicinity. Finally she ran into a party of three bluecoats at Thirteenth street and Forest avenue. When taken to No. 6 police station she was found to be the wife of a contractor. She was evidently under the influence of liquor and some drug. She was held for safekeeping.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

April 26, 1908



Wife Swears Out Warrant for For-
mer Husband or Ex-Sweetheart,
But Says Her Louis Fell
Out of an Auto.

"I do wish that someone would send me a four-leaf clover or that Louis could find a horseshoe about town somewhere," pleaded Mrs. Louis M. Nachman last evening. "But he won't be able to go out and look for horseshoes for some time now, his nose being broken, and I can't leave his bedside."

Some of the Nachmans' bad luc is known and some of it remains a mystery. It is admitted that they were wed by Justice of the Peace J. J. Shepard at 8:40 on the evening of Decemer 14, 1907, after a week's courtship, and three days later the groom was rudely jerked away to the county jail and locked up until he could explain a charge of forging his father's name to a check to pay the honeymoon hotel bill. He explained it to the satisfaction of Herman Nachman, his father, and the prosecuting attorney, and was released. Al went smooth with the couple until 10:35 yesterday morning when, at Thirteenth and Central streets, the bridegroom met with either an accident or a coincidence.

It was a coincidence in the form of Edward C. Miles, former husband or jilted sweetheart of the bride, who used to be Mrs. Grace Miles, according to the story she told Assistant County Prosecutor Bert S. Kimbrell yesterday afternoon. Miles, she said, tried to take her away from her husband and when her husband protested, Miles swung at him with his right and upper cut with his left. Nachman fell upon the sidewalk and she clung to the body to avoid being kidnapped.

When Mrs. Nachman was questioned about the trouble at the house, 320 West Thirteenth street, half an hour later, she said, "It was a most unfortunate accident and so clumsy of Louis to trip w hen stepping out of our automobile. But he is not seriously hurt. He'll be out and around in a week or so."

She was reminded of the complaint against Miles she had sworn to, and replied with a soft accent of her eyebrows:

"Oh, did I do that? Well, anyhow, please write it up as an automobile accident."

Labels: , , , , ,

March 27, 1908


Charles Greenburg Fatally Wounded
by Restaurant Keeper.

Fearing that he was about to be mobbed, as he claims, J. A. Quinlan shot and fatally wounded Charles Greenburg, a messenger boy, in the restaurant conducted by him at 105 East Thirteenth street, at 12 o'clock last night. There are several different versions of the shooting, each one who witnessed the affair having a different story to tell. The one which seems the most probably, however, is that Greenburg entered the restaurant with the intention of securing change for a quarter which he had borrowed from a fellow messenger boy, Joe Kelly.

Quinlan says that Greenburg became boisterous and drew a dangerous looking knife, threatening to cut up everything and everybody in the place. What caused Greenburg to show signs of violence is not known.

At any rate, Quinlan says he threw the boy out of the back door, and that Greenburg immediately returned, brandishing his knife and starting towards Quinlan. Quinlan then drew a revolver and fired three shots, one of which struck the boy in the stomach The police ambulance was called and the boy taken to the general hospital, where he was operated upon. The doctors express small hope for his recovery.

Just before he was placed upon the operating table one of the surgeons told him how serious was his condition and asked if he wished to make a statement. Greenburg told him that he did not know the man who had shot him nor why it was done. He gave a description of the man and it tallied with that of Quinlan.

Quinlan was arrested and taken to the Walnut street police station, where he admitted that he shot the boy.

Greenburg lives at 1827 Oak street, and was out on parole from the workhouse where he was sentenced a year ago to work out a $500 fine imposed for carrying concealed weapons. He is 19 years of age.

Labels: , , , , ,

March 4, 1908


At Thirteenth and Grand Avenue,
and Motorman Was Injured.

In a street car collision last night that wrecked the front vestibule of a southbound Fifteenth street car, Clarence Oliver, motorman, was stunned and, it was thought at the time, seriously injured.

The accident happened about 9:30 o'clock at Thirteenth street and Grand avenue. Oliver's car was going south on Grand avenue across the switches that turn into Thirteenth street when a northbound Westport car "split" the switch. That is, the switch refused to work, and the car that should have continued straight north on Grand avenue took the curve, and was thrown across the front of the Fifteenth street car. Dr. Will Inen, who attended Oliver at the University hospital, believe he sustained a slight concussion of the brain. Oliver lives with his family at 1803 Jackson avenue. None of the passengers on the car was hurt.

Labels: , , , , , ,

February 24, 1908





Wife of Missing Man Believes His Is
Still Alive -- She Thinks He
Has Been Injured and
Will Return.

Every manhole, every telephone cable conduit, every underground passageway, even the Walnut street sewer; every possible hiding place into which a body could be stowed, in the neighborhood of Twelfth and Main streets, was gone through yesterday by friends of John Fayhey, who disappeared from the knowledge of his fellow men three weeks ago. No trace of the body was found by the searchers. The search underground was as futile as the body hunt of previous Sundys through the outskirts of the city and in the trenches made by men in the water works department. Fayhey was last seen at 1 o'clock on the morning of February 1, with a party of drunken men, at the corner of Twelfth and Main streets. He was a foreman in the city water works department.

Jerry Ryan, engineer at the Anheuser-Busch Brewing Company's plant at Twentieth and Walnut streets, was in charge of yesterday's explorations. Jerry is a brother of Police Sergeant Al Ryan and of Mrs. Fayhey. Others in the party were Patrick O'Conner and Tom Bryan, city firemen, and City Detectives Raftery and Halvey. Jerry Ryan, geared in hip rubber boots, entered every opening on Eleventh, Twelfth, Thirteenth, Main and Walnut streets in the neighborhood of the spot where Fayhey was last seen. No trace of the body was found.

Then Ryan and O'Conner entered the Walnut street sewer at Thirteenth street and explored it south to where it empties into O. K. creek at Twenty-Second street. Ryan, who led the way, was provided with a safety lamp.

This lamp was carried to guard against sewer gas. It is a device imported from the coal mining district, and is valuable in that whenever it is carried into a cloud of sewer gas it is extinguished. O'Conner, who followed with a lantern, was enabled to tell, by watching Ryan and the safety light, where there was sewer gas ahead and to avoid walking into it with his lantern. Only one body of gas was met, but if the lantern had been carried into this an explosion would have resulted which probably would have killed both men. The detectivs and firemen walked along Walnut street and opened the manhole covers ahead of the two men who were walking in the sewer.

No trace of Fayhey's body or any other body was found in the sewer. Jerry Ryan said, when he came out:

"No body could lodge in that sewer. The water, although in no place over knee deep, runs with a very swift current, and would carry any body out into O K. creek. It was not necessary to explore the entire length of the sewer but I did that to make certain that Fayhey's body was not there."

When John Fayhey's wife was told last night at her home ot 1605 Olive street that the search through the sewer and the conduits had been fruitless, she only reiterated her former belief that her husband was still alive.

"I know his is not dead" she said. "I firmly believe that he has been hurt and will come home when he is able."

Police Seargeant Al Ryan, Mrs. Fayhey's brother, holds a different theory. He says:

"There is no doubt that Fayhey was killed, and that his body is concealed somewhere. We have searched Kansas City from center to circuference, above ground and under, but without result. We have telegraphed a description of Fayhey to every town down the river as far as St. Louis. I think that the men who made way with Fayhey were drunk and did not mean to kill him. I know, however, that they had an automobile with them and when they saw what they had done, they put the body into the car and took it away. Probably they threw it in the Missouri river.

"I know that Fayhey had no money to speak of on his person the night he disappeared and I believe that the men who were with him killed him in a drunken brawl without any reasonable motive. I expect that someone who knows all about the killing will come in one of these days and tell the story."

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

December 11, 1907


Blanche Brewer Takes Up Fortune
Telling and Is Arrested.

Blanche Brewer, 22 years of age, who was arrested on the complaint of a Miss Piper, who lives at 432 North Montgall avenue, yesterday morning, told a pitiful tale of poverty and desolation to the police officers at police headquarters.

Blanche had been going about from house to house trying to make a living for herself and her invalid sister by telling fortunes. The two young girls are orphans and have no relatives who can be found. They came here from Topeka, Kas., about two weeks ago and neither of them has been able to obtain employment. They had no money and no way of making a livelihood.

Becoming desperate, Blanche, the younger of the two girls, hit upon the scheme of fortune telling, though she really knew nothing whatever about the tricks of that trade. She succeeded in bring an average of 50 cents a day home of the sustenance of her sister and herself.

Three days ago, she told Miss Piper's fortune and took as a pledge for payment a shirtwaist suit. Miss Piper says that the garments were loaned to the girl for two days in payment for the seance. Accordingly she telephoned to the police and told them that the girl, Blanche, had stolen the articles. Upon investigation the suit was found in the girls' room at 416 West Thirteenth street. Blanche was arrested and taken to the matron's room, where her sister called last night and substantiated her story.

The police will probably turn the matter over to the Humane Society.

Labels: , , , , ,

October 31, 1907


That Led Mrs. John D. Hamrick to
Secure a Divorce.

Mrs. Nellie Hamrick, who quarreled with her husband, John D. Hamrick, Jr., some months ago because she thought one of the stenographers employed in the Hamrick Remedy Company's offices, 214 East Eleventh street, was too pretty, was granted a divorce yesterday afternoon by Judge T. J. Seehorn of the district court. The husband is to pay her $25 a month permanent alimony. Hamrick was owner of the Alkano Remedy Company until its failure about a year ago, and is now president of the company which bears his name. The Hamricks live at 2419 East Thirteenth street.

Other divorces granted yesterday in the circuit court were: Mrs. Beula Edwards of the Densmore hotel from Wilkie L. Edwards, Maggie O'Moore from Edward K. Moore and Hiram F. Adams from Mary Adams.

Labels: , , , ,

July 25, 1907


Another Case Reported From Thir-
teenth and Washington Streets.

Residents of the neighborhood of Sixteenth and Washington streets are excited over a small worm that has bitten several living in that section. Yesterday Patrick O'Brien, 18 years old, 1619 Washington street, almost directly across the street from where O'Brien lives, was bitten Tuesday on the neck in almost identically the same place where the worm bit O'Brien.

This worm, which seems to show a partiality toward left sides of necks when it bites, is described as about an inch long, and is covered with long white fur. Several who passed opinion on the genus of the vermiform creature say that the results of its bite are similar to that of what is commonly called a fever worm, but in appearance this worm differs somewhat.

Labels: , ,

June 3, 1907


Jack Smith Wounded While Witness-
ing a Street Fight.

Jack Smith, a clerk, 23 years old, while watching a street fight early yesterday morning near Fifteenth street and Grand avenue, received a stab wound in the left side of his neck. He was treated by Dr. Ford B. Rogers, an ambulance surgeon, and removed to the general hospital. Smith lives at 215 East Thirteenth street.

Labels: , , , , ,

May 29, 1907



TO $300,000.
Plans Contemplate One of the Largest
Mail Order Concerns in Amer-
ica -- Establish Buying
Stations All Over
the World.

The Jones Dry Goods Company had purchased the mail order business of Kemper-Paxton Mercantile Company, increasing the capital stock of the former company form $150,000 to $300,000. W. T. Kemper retains part of the preferred stock in the company.

In the evolution of the commercial world within recent years the buying of goods by mail from catalogue houses by the people of all sections of the country has grown to such proportions, so states one of the Jones brothers, and has proved such a satisfactory way to trade that it must be recognized as an advanced step in the retail distribution of merchandise. In view of the fact that the people are buying largely from mail order houses, it was decided by the Jones company that it would be better to keep this trade in Kansas City than to have it go to the markets further east. Some of the fundamental principles on which the Jones Bros. will conduct the new branch of their business are stated as follows:

Their purpose shall be to get the goods from the maker to the user at the smallest expenditure of time and money. "The greatest good to the greatest number," is to be the motto of the new department. The present quarters of the Kemper-Paxton company, which will be occupied by the new firm, consist of a seven-story and basement building at Ninth and Liberty streets. As it becomes necessary these quarters will be enlarged.

The new business will be run distinctly separate from the business at Twelfth, Thirteenth, and Main and Walnut streets, but the two will operate in the closest harmony and out-of-town customers will be accommodated at either store.

The Jones Bros. are planning to make of the new business one of the greatest mail order concerns in the United States. Buying stations have already been established all over the world, and merchandise will be shipped direct to Kansas City from those places.

"Our trade territory for the present will be the great Southwest," said J. L. Jones, yesterday. "But as rapidly as is deemed expedient the whole United States will become our market. There is no reason why this catalogue business should not reach from Maine to California and from Winnepeg to Galveston in the course of a few years.

"It is believed that with the re-establishment of navigation on the Missouri river a certain and tremendous increase in the output of Kansas City factories will result, because of the outlet furnished by this distributing agency and others of its kind, and because of better freight rates resulting from river navigation."

Both of the Jones brothers have been country merchants in past years and have felt the country merchants' antagonism toward the mail order houses. They state, however, that so long as millions of people are buying goods from catalogue, there is no reason why Kansas City should not get in the fight and keep the business that rightfully belongs to her. For this reason the Kemper-Paxton Mercantile Company launched its mail order business in Kansas City and for the same reason the Jones Bros. have absorbed it with the determination to make it one of the greatest institutions of its kind in the United States.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

April 16, 1907


Tunnels and Viaducts Across the
Alley Between the Jones Buildings.

The council last night passed an ordinance giving permission to the Jones Dry Goods Company to erect viaducts over and tunnels beneath the alley to give access to their block of buildings bounded by Main, Walnut, Twelfth and Thirteenth streets. In the lower house Alderman Bulger wanted the ordinance sent to a committee, but Alderman Groves and Hartman, practiced builders, attested to the plans and specifications for the viaducts and tunnels and the house concurred in the estimates.

Labels: , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory