Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

October 29, 1909


Victim, With Shattered Leg, Falls
at Wife's Feet in Kitchen.

His right leg shattered by a bullet from a negro policeman's pistol which struck him as he stood in his own kitchen door, Martin Young, also a negro, fell at the feet of his wife as she was eating supper last evening.

Young, who lives at 1126 Highland avenue, was playing poker earlier in the day near Tenth street and St. Louis avenue, it is claimed, and the game was raided, but he managed to escape. Patrolmen Gray, Tillman and Campbell, all negroes, in plain clothes, surrounded his home. Tillman went inside while Campbell guarded the front of the house and Gray the rear.

Wilson went out of the back door and seeing the officer standing behind a fence started back. Gray shouted at the ma but as he made no attempt to stop, immediately shot him down.

Labels: , , , , ,

April 30, 1909


West Bottoms Police Now Located
at 1301 West Eighth Street.

The old St. Louis avenue police station, as it was generally known, exists no longer. Yesterday the members of the force in No. 2 district moved out of the old station on St. Louis avenue into the new station house at 1301 West Eighth street.

Labels: , ,

April 15, 1909


Officer Cox Suspended Because He
Used Profane Language.

The fact that the complainant, J. E. Worley, 1500 St. Louis avenue, went before the police board yesterday and asked that it be lenient with Patrolman William Cox, who, on the morning of April 3, swore at him at Eighth street and Woodland avenue while learning why he was out so late, saved the officer.

Cox made a clean breast of the affair, but Mayor Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., was not willing to let him off simply with a reprimand.

"There has been too much of this cursing of men under arrest by officers," he said. "It is absolutely unnecessary and must be stopped. I think the officer should be suspended for five days and that the word should go out to the rest of the force that hereafter the punishment will be more severe in cases where arresting officers use profane and obscene language."

Cox was ordered suspended for five days.

Labels: , , , , ,

December 17, 1908



To Be Available When Needed, and
Not Locked Up, as Were the
Rifles During the Re-
cent Riot.

The board of police commissioners yesterday decided that it had been taught a lesson by the riot of December 8 and that it wound never again be caught unprepared. When riot guns were called for on that day, not knowing the magnitude of the trouble or how many men might be encountered at the river, a key to the gun case first had to be sought. Then there was no ammunition for the old Springfield rifles in store there, and there was another twenty minutes' delay until loads were secured from a vault in the commissioners' office. If the trouble had been more serious the town could have been sacked before police were properly armed.

Yesterday the board examined the latest make of riot gun, a weapon that shoots six loads, nine buckshot to each cartridge. It is worked the same as a pump gun, and one alone will do fearful damage, if handled properly.

It is the intention of the board to purchase a sufficient number of these guns and place them in glass cases in stations Nos. 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6. Those stations are situated at headquarters (Fourth and Main), 1316 St. Louis avenue, 906 Southwest boulevard, 1430 Walnut street and Twentieth street and Flora avenue, respectively. They are regarded as the most likely districts in which riots might break out.

The glass cases containing the riot guns are to be built near the floor so that, in an emergency, they may be broken and weapons, loaded for just such an occasion, may be found ready for action.

The question of a reserve force of men to be kept on hand at headquarters all the time, was also taken up. It was decided, as a nucleus, to assign two men on duty there from 10 a. m. to 10 p. m. who, with the "shortstop" man, would make three who could get into action on a moment's notice. Had that number of men been sent out to deal with James Sharp and his band of fanatics, the board believes that the result would have been different.

"We have been taught a terrible lesson," said the mayor, "and the fault should rest on our shoulders if such a thing should ever occur again and find us unprepared. Henceforth we intend to be ready for any situation that may arise."

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

October 9, 1908



Made a Great Chicago Record, Then
Jeffries Whipped Him -- His
Head Cut Off by

The headless body of Harry Baker, better known as Heine Baker, one of the best known heavyweight boxers in the world in his time, was found yesterday afternoon n the tracks at the Gooseneck at the foot of Broadway. It is thought that he was run over by a Burlington passenger engine.

Baker was born in Chicago about 42 years ago and received his early training for the battles of life among the foundries of that city. At a very early age he entered the ring and began earning money by the edification of the Chicago fight fans.

"I have seen him," said Dave Porteous last night, "fight a negro in a cellar where the boundaries and the floor of the ring were of rock. He could knock a man out with either fist, and he never held back, but went after a man from the start. There were some cleverer men than Heine in the ring, but few gamer and none squarer. Strange as it may be to be said of a prize fighter, eh never owed a man a dollar that he did not pay. He was one of the squarest sports that ever pulled off a shirt."

At other times Baker fought negroes in a ring where the "ropes" were iron pipes. He got to be called the "iron man" and had a reputation of being unbeatable. Starting in at the weight of about 165 pounds, with each succeeding training he became heavier and in his prime he weighed 185. He soon became too good to stay in the Chicago foundry district, so he got a fight with Dick Moore in Milwaukee. He won one fight with Moore and was once beaten by him.

Several other fights with good men around Milwaukee gave him a reputation and he became known as a trial horse for the big fighters. In May, 1896, he got a match with James J. Jeffries. The battle was pulled off in San Francisco. Baker wanted a twenty-four-foot ring, but the champion insisted on an eighteen-foot ring. This was a considerable handicap to Baker, who, although he held on gamely for nine rounds, was terribly beaten. He got three ribs broken, besides being knocked out. He never fought so well afterwards.

After that he went down. He came to this city ten years ago to get a match with Tommy Ryan, but the match was interfered with and Baker stuck here. He got a job as watchman on an excursion steamboat, which he held for many years. Since Tom Pendergast went into office as street commissioner he had been working for the street department. In the fall of 1903 he tried to enter the ring again and went on in a bout with a negro named Bob Long at Vineyard hall and was beaten. He roomed at 1320 St. Louis avenue. Two sisters and a brother live in Milwaukee. The body is at Eylar's undertaking rooms.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

September 25, 1908


Burdened by Flesh Miss Knox Be-
comes a Ward of the City.

"Suffering from an abundance of superfluous adipose tissue."

This is the diagnosis of the emergency hospital physicians in the case of Miss Mary Knox, 44 years old, five feet five inches tall, weighing 350 pounds. Miss Knox lives alone near St. Louis avenue and the State Line.

The woman's case was brought to the attention of the police at No. 2 station late yesterday afternoon. It was said that she was helpless, penniless and really a fit subject for the county home. The patrol wagon took Miss Knox to the emergency hospital, where, after a thorough examination, the foregoing diagnosis was agreed upon.

"It is an odd case," said Dr. W. L. Gist. "Miss Knox is too fat to walk without assistance, as she would fall if she encountered the least obstruction. Then when she is down she can't arise without help. The police say neighbors have been caring for the helpless woman for some time."

Her case will be referred to the Humane Society today and an effort made to get her in the county home. Ten years ago Miss Knox is said to have been as lithe and slender as a gazelle. When she began to take on flesh, no manner of dieting made any difference; she was destined to become very corpulent, and very corpulent she did become.

"This is one thing that scientists have not solved," said Dr. Gist. "People who are destined to be fat will gain weight in spite of all one can do, and, on the other hand, the slim tribe will remain shadows on a diet of fat-producing foods."

Labels: , , , , , ,

August 18, 1908


Katie Thompson, 14, Wanted to Wed
a Grocer's Clerk.

Katie Thompson, 1326 St. Louis avenue, is only 14 years old, but that did not keep her from falling in love with Michael Griffin, an employe of the Kansas City Wholesale Grocery Company, Tenth and Mulberry streets. They wanted to get married.

Katie's mother and her stepfather, M. J. Chambers, objected on account of her age. Michael called at the Thompson home during the noon hour yesterday to press his suit. When he was told there would be nothing doing in the matrimonial line for at least four years, he became angry and cast a half brick at the stepfather, who promptly stopped it with his face. The brick was much harder than Chambers's face and a deep gash over the eye was the result.

It is said of Michael that he then made tracks toward the state line, while Chambers fled himself to No. 2 police station to have the brick-throwing lover arrested. All this excited little Katie to such an extent that she then and there consumed an ounce of iodine by way of showing her love for the grocery clerk. Dr. George P. Pipkin, with the ambulance from the emergency hospital, arrived after a hurry-up call and a strong emetic put Katie back on the eligible list again.

Labels: , , , , ,

August 18, 1908


Was Suspected of Having Shot a Po-
liceman -- Chief Ahern and Cap-
tain Snow Were Present.

Policemen old in the city service recall but one negro lynching in recent Kansas City history. There has been mob violence threatened here, but only once was a man's life taken by citizens. A mob hanged a negro of the name of Harrington April 3, 1882, and the police still insist that the man was wrongly accused of murder.

Old-time policemen who figured in the affair were Daniel Ahern, now chief of police; Frank Snow, now captain of police in charge of police court property; Con. O'Hare, Patrick Jones, and five others. The monument erected by the people as a tribute to policemen who fell in discharge of duty -- on the west side of city hall -- bears Jones's name and the date of his death. His name is the second on the long list. He was the victim of a negro's bullets in St. Louis avenue, and another negro was lynched for the crime.

Patrolman Jones lived in the West Bottoms. On the night of his death he had been relieved from duty and had started home to supper. As he turned into St. Louis avenue he met Tony Grant, a negro of bad reputation, carrying a sack.

Jones at once suspected the negro of theft and asked him what he had in the sack. The negro declined to tell and the patrolman placed him under arrest. The sack contained a firkin of butter which the negro had stolen from a grocery. As Jones leaned over to examine the contents of the sack he was shot and killed. The bullet came from behind the policeman and no one saw the shot fired. Tony Grant, believed to be the guilty negro, fled.

Here's where Harrington came into the limelight. Sitting in front of John Monohan's boarding house at Ninth and Hickory streets, he heard the shots and ran toward the body of the policeman. Police a few minutes later arrested him on complaint of white citizens who had also been attracted by the pistol shot..

Harrington, the police maintain, was innocent, but he was hanged an hour later from the Fifth street car bridge. Daniel Ahern, then a patrolman at the West Bottoms station, was assigned with a squad of six officers to take Harrington to police headquarters and started on foot around the bluff to the North End.

A crowd of excited citizens followed the negro and his police escort and soon the officers saw they had made a mistake in starting with the prisoner. It was too late to turn back and they entered the bridge. At the same time a crowd from the North End entered the bridge from the north and the police found themselves, with the negro prisoner, hemmed in. They pleaded with the mob, but were thrust aside. A noose was slipped over Harrington's head and he was thrown over the bridge rail.

Captain Frank Snow and Con O'Hare ran through the crowd and jumped off the end of the bridge, intending to cut down the negro and possibly save him.

As Snow leaned toward the rope a man on the bridge above leaned low over the rail and sent a bullet into the top of Harrington's head. The mob dispersed and the police remember the incident as the only illegal hanging in the history of Kansas City. Tony Grant was never captured and most of those who had a hand in the affair, with the exception of Ahern and Snow, are dead.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

March 21, 1908


Injured Man Was Locked Up in a
Cell Without Treatment.

J. K. Mannois, 63 years old, a cigar merchant of Ottawa, Kas., went to the emergency hospital yesterday morning for treatment. His lower lip was cut through, his face badly bruised and swollen and a tooth was missing. Dr. W. L. Gist attended him.

Mannois said that he arrived in the city Thursday night when he was attacked on Union avenue and robbed of $15 and a gold watch valued at $40. He said that while dazed from his injuries he was taken in charge by the police and locked up at No. 2 station, 1316 St. Louis avenue, as a "drunk" who had fallen and come in contact with the pavement. He said he had started for Kansas City, Kas., when attacked by men who had seen him leave a Union avenue restaurant.

Labels: , , , , , ,

December 4, 1907


Captain Ennis Wished to Go East, but
the Judge Wouldn't Excuse Him.

John J. Ennis, captain in charge of the St. Louis avenue police station, recently obtained leave of absence for a week, as he wished to make a visit to relatives in the East. The police are allowed but one such vacation a year. The day the captain's leave of absence began a summons was served upon him to sit as a juror in the circuit court. Though he tried every means to esccape this duty he failed. The trial of the case in which he was drawn as juror occupied just one week. The captain is back at work at the St. Louis avenue station.

Labels: , ,

November 4, 1907



So the South Carolina Senator Reached
the Hotel Without Escort -- But There
Was No Riot -- In Convention
Hall To-night.

Was it a mob of hotel waiters they feared? Was it a delegation from the hodcarriers' union? Was it -- well, never mind.

The members of the Millinery Traveling Men's association in charge of the Tillman lecture to-night didn't confide the reason to Chief Ahern. They merely called him up yesterday afternoon and asked for a police guard for the senator from South Carolina when he should reach Kansas City to-day. The chief was agreeable.

So, hep, hep at the depot this morning.

A detachment of seven patrolmen from headquarters marched down in good order and debouched on the platform.


Hep, hep, again.

Reinforcements from the St. Louis avenue station. Five more patrolmen and Sergeant O'Neil in eschelon formation wheeled into place.

Martial law for the depot. The ushers retreated in good order. Only the truck pushers were undismayed. Repeatedly they charged the line and battered it to pieces.

But Senator Tillman didn't come. Finally the guard got tired and investigated.

"Shucks," somebody said. "The senator got in an hour ago."

As there was no evidence of excitement and as no mob had been seen, the police marched away. In good order, of course. At the Coates house the senator disclaimed any knowledge of a request for police protection.


"I just climbed off the train and took a carriage for the Coates house," the senator said this morning. "No, I have never been badly in need of a bodyguard and I don't want any now. I saw what I think and some people don't like it, I reckon, but I am in no danger, thank you."

Senator Tillman has had several disputes with some of his auditors in Western cities where he has lectured recently on the race question. Negroes have made threats against him, but there has been no violence.


"It isn't out of the ordinary for me to have a few tilts here and there when I speak my mind freely," the senator said. "There ain't any use in getting excited about it, either. I enjoy it too well to think about being guarded. The trouble with so many people is they want to solve the race problem without knowing anything about it. I know what I'm talking about when I talk about negroes."

Senator Tillman is a broad shouldered, stockily built man, with a full face and gray hair, which stands up straight. He will lecture on "The Race Problem" in Convention hall to-night. Tomorrow night he will lecture in Garnett, Kas.

Labels: , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory