| || |
December 28, 1909
MOTHER LECTURED BY JUDGE.
She Admits False Age of Son Was
Given Factory Inspector.
Mrs. E. L. Folsom, 707 East Eighteenth street, weeping bitterly, was lectured by Judge E. E. Porterfield in the juvenile court yesterday for making a false affidavit regarding the age of her son, Lyle H. Wilcox, in the office of W. H. Morgan, state factory inspector, recently when the boy went to work. She swore that he was born April 7, 1895, but yesterday admitted that he was born a year later. While under oath, as the court learned from private conversation with the woman's daughter, other misstatements were made.
"You ought to be punished," said Judge Porterfield, "for making the false affidavit about your son's age and for other statements made here under oath, but I cannot do it in this court. It could be done in the criminal court, however. This habit people have gotten into of making false affidavits of their children's ages before the factory inspector has got to be broken up. Somebody is going to be punished, too, if it does not cease."
The boy, Lyle, was given into the custody of his sister, Mrs. Iva Hubbard, 1405 Spruce avenue. Mrs. Folson said she had born ten children, seven of whom are living. She said she was divorced from Joseph Wilcox in Oklahoma City, Ok., and that seven years ago in January she was married to Folson.
Labels: children, custody, Eighteenth street, Judge Porterfield, juvenile court, oklahoma, Spruce avenue
July 9, 1909
ANOTHER VICTIM OF THE FOURTH.
Victor Whiteman, 8, Dies From
Burn of Firecrackers.
Another name was added to the list of Fourth of July victims yesterday, when death overtook Victor Whiteman, 8 years old, at the general hospital. He died from severe burns about the body.
Victor was burned last Monday while playing near the home of his widowed mother, Mrs. Alice Whiteman, 4315 East Fifteenth street. He was carrying a number of firecrackers in his trousers pockets, and in a manner not explained they were set off, severely burning his leg.
The boy, in a semi-conscious condition, was carried to the office of Dr. T. T. Sawyer at Fifteenth and Spruce streets, and later transferred to the general hospital. No funeral arrangements have been made.
Labels: accident, chidren, death, doctors, Fifteenth street, fireworks, Spruce avenue
October 31, 1908
HER BRAVE LIFE
ENDS IN AGONY.
CRIPPLED WIDOW BURNED TO
DEATH AT HER WORK.
LAST WORD FOR
SHE HAD LABORED TO KEEP OUT
OF POOR HOUSE.
Flame of Gasoline Stove Catches Mrs.
Martha Hughes's Garments
While She Labors at
After striving for five years to lift her family of three children from a position of dependence, fighting against fate with all the strength of her crippled body, Mrs. Martha Hughes, 36 years old, a widow, was burned to death yesterday afternoon in her home at 1415 Spruce avenue.
Five years ago Mrs. Hughes's husband died and she was thrown upon the world to earn a living for herself and her three children, a boy of 12 years, a girl of 9 and a baby boy of 2 years. Her fight was an uphill one, and she collapsed under her heavy handicap, and was forced to go to the poor farm of the Missouri county where she lived. She did what work her health permitted around the place, but she was never content to remain there.
"I want my children to be able to hold up their heads in the world when I am gone," she said.
As soon as she was able she left the institution, and went into another county, where she made another fight to bring up her children away from the almshouse atmosphere. Again she was unsuccessful, and went to another poor farm.
After a year of wandering from one poor farm to another she landed in Kansas City, having just been released from the almshouse at Butler, Mo. Her case was brought to the attention of the Provident Association. It was just at t his time that the agitation against the housing of children in poor houses was sweeping the state, and the association determined that Mrs. Hughes should be given a chance to bring up her children away from any charitable institution.
She was put in a little house with her children and provided with washing to do. Her work was very hard, for she had a leg which was so crippled that she had to use crutches when she walked upon the street. After a short time the older boy found a place with a farmer in Jackson county and the mother was left alone with her little girl and baby. Six months ago he returned to his mother and since then has been working in a bag factory earning $4 a week, which he contributed to the support of the family.
The daughter called for the clothes and delivered them and the mother washed and ironed them. When she ironed she set the little gasoline stove which she used to heat her irons close to the ironing board so that she would not have to take many steps in her work.
It was while engaged thus yesterday afternoon about 4 o'clock that her skirts caught fire. She was alone and unable to help herself and was literally burned all over her body. The ambulance from the Walnut street police station was called and made a record run. Mrs. Hughes was taken to the general hospital, where she died at 8 o'clock.
Before she passed away she clasped the hands of Mrs. Kate Pearson of the Provident Association in her own burnt ones, and said:
"You won't let them separate my children, will you, Mrs. Pearson?"
Mrs. Pearson said that she would not.
Labels: charity, children, clothing, death, Fire, general hospital, poor farm, Spruce avenue, women
June 5, 1908
PRESS AGENT CATCHES A FISH.
Thirty-Pound Carp Is Lured by a
Dough Ball at Fairmount.
From Fairmount park lake yesterday morning, so the story runs, a thirty-pound carp was dragged on a hook and line. This line was baited with dough balls and thrown in the lake by the park's press agent. This monster which was brought from the waves weighed thirty pounds, according to the press agent's scales.
Five hooks had been strung on the line and only one bore water fruit. The fish was given in trust to William Tissue, a saloonkeeper at Ninth street and Spruce. It will be on display in the window of the saloon for several days.
Labels: animals, fairmount park, Ninth street, Spruce avenue
April 21, 1908
SAYS PAT M'GUIRE
WAS TWICE KILLED.
DROWNED AND THEN BURNED,
BUT LEFT AN ESTATE.
His Widow, Who Married Another
Between Pat's First and
Second Death, Wants the
Two tragedies are recalled by the petition filed in the probate court yesterday by C. W Prince, attorney for Mrs. Mary F. McGuire, calling upon William Moore, administrator of the estate of Patrick McGuire, to make a partial division of the estate.
On March 29, 1903, McGuire, then living under the name of Oscar W. Ramsey, was married to Mrs. Mary Cochran, a widow, the present petitioner. When the flood of May, 1903, came, McGuire, then known as Ramsey, went out to engage in rescue work. He never returned. The wife advertised for him in the daily papers, when such advertisements were printed free after the flood subsided, but could get no reply or trace of him. On June 30, 1904, she married John W. Ballard, a point tucker.
The Ballards lived happily for over two years, when, in October, 1906, the Chamber of Commerce building in Kansas City, Kas., burned. Mrs. Ramsey-Ballard read that Patrick McGuire was among the missing tenants of the building, and that Mrs. Donald Logan, a friend of his, had escaped. Mrs. Logan's description of McGuire, printed in the papers, tallied to the dot with the missing Ramsey's appearance. Mrs. Ballard also recalled that the husband, known to her as Ramsey, had roomed at Mrs. Logan's house before she met him, and that friends who came to visit, after her marriage, called for Pat McGuire. Putting two and two together, Mrs. Ballard decided that the McGuire who was burned in the fire was none other than her husband. She talked to Mrs. Logan, and saw among the effects of McGuire, saved from the fire, a handkerchief which she had given Ramsey, and into which she had embroidered the initials, "O. W. R."
She was then positive that her husband had not been drowned in the flood, but was burned to death. She went into mourning again. Her marriage to Ballard was, by effect of her discovery, annulled.
McGuire left an estate in Wyandotte worth something over $20,000. The probate court of Jackson county, at Mrs. Ramsey-Ballard-McGuire's request, took charge of it, and William Moore was appointed administrator in December, 1906.
A few weeks ago a Mrs. Patrick O'Neal of Chicago sent a representative to Kansas City to secure a share in the estate, claiming that she was a sister of McGuire. This claim she has proven to the satisfaction of the probate court.
McGuire's wife's petition of yesterday is to have the administrator divide the estate between herself and Mrs. O'Neal. Mrs. McGuire's attorney hopes to secure practically all of the property for her under a Missouri statute which provides that estates lying outside the state shall be administered according to the law of the state which they be, and a Kansas statute, which gives all of an estate to the widow, if there are no children.
Mrs. McGuire lives at 2812 Spruce avenue.
Labels: Chicago, death, Fire, flood, Kansas City Kas, probate, Spruce avenue
| || |
|Get the Book|
Kansas City Stories
Early Kansas City, Missouri
>>More KC Books<<
| February, 1910 |
| January, 1910 |
| December, 1909 |
| November, 1909 |
| October, 1909 |
| September, 1909 |
| August, 1909 |
| July, 1909 |
| June, 1909 |
| May, 1909 |
| April, 1909 |
| March, 1909 |
| February, 1909 |
| January, 1909 |
| December, 1908 |
| November, 1908 |
| October, 1908 |
| September, 1908 |
| August, 1908 |
| July, 1908 |
| June, 1908 |
| May, 1908 |
| April, 1908 |
| March, 1908 |
| December, 1907 |
| November, 1907 |
| October, 1907 |
| September, 1907 |
| August, 1907 |
| July, 1907 |
| June, 1907 |