Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

July 22, 1909


Unidentified Monster Found in North End
to Be a Circus Exhibit.

James Lockwood, who discovered a peculiar reptile near Second and Wyandotte streets Tuesday, was possessed of a spirit of commercialism yesterday morning and placed the long-tailed creature on exhibition near Twelfth and Main streets. After he had been visited by naturalists and curious ones for half a day and had cleared at least $3, he decided to sell his new found possession. A man who claimed that he was a circus advance agent gave him $15 for sole possession. He promptly took down his sign and left his place of business.

No one was able to tell what the creature really is. It was agreed that it belonged to the lizard family.

Labels: , , , , ,

July 10, 1909


Body of Unidentified Man Discov-
ered at Walnut and Second.

While rounding the curve in the old Holmes street cut on Second street between Walnut street and Grand avenue at midnight last night, J. A. Franklin, the motorman of a Vine street car, noticed that his car bumped slightly at one particular place. He stopped the car, got off and went back to investigate.

In the middle of the track was the body of a man which had evidently been lying there for several hours. More than a dozen cars had passed over the body before any one noticed it. Dr. Harry Czarlinsky was notified and ordered it taken to an undertaker.

From papers found in the dead man's pockets it was presumed that his name is Walter A. Rosh of Enid, Ok.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

February 6, 1909


Mrs. Ellen Cronin, Who Settled at
Second and Lydia in 1855,
Is Dead.

After fifty-four years of residence in Kansas City, Mrs. Ellen Cronin, 77 years of age, died at her home, 1129 Pacific street, yesterday afternoon. Coming to Kansas City before the war of the Rebellion, and when the little settlement on the Missouri river was known as Westport Landing, Mrs. Cronin's life was an eventful one.

Down at Second street and Lydia avenue she lived for the first few years of her life here, and as the little landing grew into a thriving little town, rivaling Westport itself, she moved, with her husband, Patrick Cronin, and other members of her family, to the house in which she finally died.

During the civil war Mrs. Cronin stayed in Kansas City, while her husband wen to the front. Frequently she was molested by Union soldiers, especially when the notorious No. 11 was issued in Jackson county . It was no unusual thing for her to be awakened from her sleep by pillaging Union soldiers. To see men shot dead on the streets was a weekly occurrence with her and she volunteered her services as a nurse in the old army hospital which was then located where the Gilliss opera house is now.

Mrs. Cronin came to America from Ireland in a sailing vessel in the year of 1848, going directly to New York, where she joined her sister, Mary Divine. Soon the two girls, Mary and Ellen Divine, brought their mother and brother and sister to America, going from New York to Michigan, and then coming to Kansas City, where Ellen Divine met Patrick Cronin, whom she married.

Mrs. Cronin is survived by two daughters,Mrs. Harry Ashton, whose husband is lieutenant of hook and ladder company No. 8, and Mrs. J. M. Maher, whose husband is captain of truck No. 1, both of the Kansas City fire department.

No funeral arrangements have been made as yet.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

January 28, 1909


Grand Avenue Italian Grocer Gets
Threatening Letter Demanding
$300 on Pain of Death.

A letter signed "Black Hand Socialist" was received yesterday by Tony Jordan, an Italian, who has a grocery store at 507 Grand avenue. He took the letter to police headquarters at 8 o'clock last night and asked for protection. The letter is as follows:

"Mr. Tony: You better pay us $300 or we kill you. Be sure be Second and Grand avenue 12 o'clock a. m. (Signed) BLACK HAND SOCIALIST."

Lieutenant Ryan turned Jordan and the letter over to Benjamin Goode and John McCall, plain clothes men. They arranged to meet Jordan at Second and Grand a few minutes before midnight last night, but Jordan did not appear. He evidently was badly frightened, as he locked his grocery store and left the building.

Other Italians heard of the letter last night and there was a general alarm sent out by them. They gathered in groups in Little Italy last night to talk it over. The frequency of these letters and the efforts made to blow up one or two places has caused extreme nervousness in the Italian settlement.

No "Black Hand Socialist" appeared at Second and Grand avenue at 12 o'clock a. m. (midnight), so far as the officers were able to learn.

Labels: , , , , , ,

December 19, 1908


Commercial College Celebrates Its
Long Period of Success Here.

In the presence of an audience of over 600, exercises were held at the auditorium of Spalding's Business college last night commemorating its forty-third anniversary. This institution was started in 1865 by James F. Spalding. A small room at Second and Main streets was sufficiently large for the seven pupils he then had. One of these, Bernard L. Ganz, is still living. Since that time, over 23,000 young people have entered the college, of whom more than 4,000 are in business or in positions in Kansas City.

In introducing the programme last night, Mr. Spalding, still president of that college, said: "I am very glad to state that the present school year is prosperous; that the attendance is larger than ever before. I am equally as happy to say that many new additions and valuable improvements have been made to the course of study in order to more fully meet the ever increasing and exacting demands of the business world, and thus put our graduates in better condition to cope with them. The grade of our scholarship has been advanced. The demand for our graduates is often far in excess of the supply, yet we deem it necessary to fully equip a student for any emergency before sending him or her out. Another note of gratification to me is that in the college now are many students whose parents before them attended the Spalding school."

A most excellent musical programme and an address by Professor J. M. Greenwood constituted the set programme. In the musical numbers were piano solos by Miss Adeline Nentwig and Miss Clara Blakeslee; vocal solo by Miss Hazel Kirk, with violin obligato by Dale Hartmann; cornet solo by Walter M. Eby, and violin solo by Miss Phebe Brooks. Besides these, there were readings by Miss Maude Edris Speer and Everett Elliott.

As souvenirs of the occasion the college distributed booklets containing half tone views of the school, also fifty-two views of the prominent buildings and places of the city. An edition of 50,000 of these booklets has been printed in the college's own printing office.

Labels: , , , , , ,

December 9, 1908


But Ryan and Joffee Rushed Upon
the Frenzied Woman and Captured Her.

Samuel Joffee, clerk in the city auditor's office, ran out of the city hall as soon as the firing began, and he, in company with Inspector of Detectives Charles Ryan, captured Mrs. Melissa Sharp, the woman who calls herself Eve, and disarmed her at Second and Delaware streets, whither she had fled form the scene of the battle. Mr. Joffee made the following statement:

"I was in the office when I heard the first shot, and ran out at once. The shooting was going on in front of Probasco's saloon. About that time I saw Eve running along Fourth street toward Delaware, with the three children. Inspector Ryan and I ran after her. She turned north on Delaware, and we caught up with her at the corner of that street and Second, where she had climbed a hill on the east side of Delaware.

"As she stood on top of the hill she drew her revolver and said she would kill the first man who came up. I picked up a brick, but changed my mind and, instead of using it, I ran up the hill with Mr. Ryan and as we grabbed her, all three of us rolled down the twelve-foot incline. At any rate, we got hold of her revolver and wrenched it away, then we took her on up to headquarters."

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

September 20, 1908


Patrick Bulger Fell to Street Car
Tracks and Was Hurt.

Hobo hill, near Second and Walnut streets, where so many men have gone to sleep and then rolled down onto the street car tracks in front of cars, came near claiming another victim last night. Patrick Bulger, 28 years old, a citizen of Independence, Mo., had gone down to take the interurban train for home. He missed it and fell asleep on the fatal hillside.

Presently a Holmes street car came bowling along and Bulger awoke with a start. He started so far that he rolled to the tracks and against the car just in time to be caught under the coat by rear steps. He was scraped along the spine, lost several square inches of skin and was dragged thirty feet to the tracks of the Kansas City Southern railway. The ambulance took him to the emergency hospital, where his injuries were dressed. A pint bottle of whiskey which Bulger carried in his coat pocket was not even cracked.

Many men have been killed and many injured at this very point. On the afternoon of September 5 Frank Nugent, a citizen of anywhere his hat was allowed to hang, performed the sleeping, waking and rolling feat. He lost his left leg just above the ankle and is now in the general hospital.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

September 12, 1908


Mrs. Harry Woodruff Made a Rope
of Police Station Bedding.

Frustrated in her attempt to throw herself into the Missouri river early Friday morning, Mrs. Harry Woodruff, Fourth street and Broadway, hanged herself in the cell in the matron's room at police headquarters four hours later. Mike Mullane, a patrolman, saw the woman running toward the river in an excited manner. He gave chase and caught her. While taking her to Second and Main streets the woman broke from him and tried to throw herself in front of a passing freight train. Again the patrolman rescued her and called the patrol wagon from police headquarters. It took four officers to put the maniacal woman in the wagon.

All the way to the station the woman said that she would not live for twelve hours and she defied the officers to save her life. After she had been locked in the matron's office it was thought she was quieted. At 7 o'clock yesterday morning a passing officer heard strange sounds coming from the cell in the matron's room. Entering the room he saw the woman hanging by a cloth rope from the bars. She was taken down almost unconscious and later sent to the Door of Hope.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

September 1, 1908


Wyandotte Lodge No. 35 Was Organ-
ized by Faithful Few When Kan-
sas City Was a Village.

On September 1, 1848, when this city was better known as Westport Landing, a number of members of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows gathered in a small room over Shannon's grocery store at Second and Main streets and organized Wyandotte lodge No. 35. Last night nearly 200 members and friends of this same lodge gathered in the large hall at Missouri avenue and Main street to celebrate the sixtieth anniversary.

Judge E. E. Porterfield, who claims to be too young to have been a charter member of the lodge, presided, and made a short address. Judge Porterfield told of the early days when with but a few members the lodge started on its way. He read a few of the names of the early members and among those names mentioned are men who have helped to make Kansas City what it is today.

Among the early members were such men as L. P. Browne, Joseph S. Chick, W. H. Chick, Rev. John T. Peery, Daniel Dofflemeyer, John C. McCoy, Dr. I. M. Ridge, Nehemiah Holmes and James A. Gregory. In 1850 the records of the lodge were destroyed in a fire which burned the grocery store over which the lodge was located, and it is impossible to get the names of all the charter members.

Phillip Bentz, who joined the lodge in 1850 when it was but two years old, was present and gave a short talk on the early history. Mr. Bentz is the oldest living member of the lodge. An address was also made by M. S. Dowden, past grand master, and music was furnished by J. Bales, L. Bales, and Miss Maggie Martin. Misses Elsie Hite and Ruth Markward gave recitations. Refreshments were served at the conclusion of the programme.

Labels: , , , , , ,

May 20, 1908


Motorman and a Passenger Injured
at Second and Holmes.

An Independence Air line passenger train struck a Holmes street car at Second and Walnut streets at 4:40 o'clock yesterday afternoon. Charles Bradley, 2318 Holmes street, the motorman, received a cut on the back of the head, his right elbow was bruised and it is believed he was injured internally. Fred Heible, an old man who lives at Third and Kansas avenue, Kansas City, Kas., was the only passenger on the car. He was cut on the head and generally bruised about the body.

At the Walnut street crossing of the Kansas City Southern track there is no regular watchman, it being the agreement that the conductor on the street car shall precede his car across the tracks and signal when the way is clear. The car yesterday was struck at the rear vestibule just as it was clearing the tracks. The conductor, A. T. Jackson of 3030 1/2 Holmes street, witnesses say, was just alighting when the collision came and had to jump to save himself. Bradley, the injured motorman, is a new man, having been on the line only three weeks. Heible was seated in the rear of the car when the accident happened and was thrown down.

J. C. Courtney, conductor, Walter Williams, fireman and C. E. Cabeen, engineer of the accommodation train, were held for a time by Sergeant John Ravenscamp until he was informed that no one had been fatally injured. Cabeen said that the street car seemed to appear right in front of his engine. He saw no one flagging it.

Labels: , , , ,

May 13, 1908


Boy From Gravette, Ark., Used a
Fierce Weapon and Was Arrested.

Willie Davidson is a product of Gravette, Ark. Last Monday night he was found in the women's waiting rooom of the Grand Central depot, Second and Wyandotte streets. He held in his right hand a large Bowie knife, the sharp end of which was stuck between his teeth. It frightenend the women and Patrolman Samuel Nichols took him in tow and landed him at headquarters.

When searched Willie -- they call him "Willie" at home, he said, because he was not yet of age -- yielded and automatic pistol, loaded, and an extra box of shells.

"I came up here to get some shells for my gun -- couldn't get 'em at home," Willie told Judge Kyle yesterday. "The Bowie knife? Oh, I bought that just because it was pretty. I wasn't doin' nothin' with it but pickin' my teeth. Jest pickin' my teeth, that's all, and not harmin' nothin' or nobody. 'Tain't no harm to pick your teeth, is it?"

"Not with a toothpick, no," replied the court. "But we bar the Bowie knife for that purpose here. I know where you come from. The town is full of rocks. Now you take your automatic and your 'toothpick' and catch the first train for home. If you flash that weapon in Gravette I'll bet the town boys chase you to the tall grass with it and that 'toothpick.' "

"Willie" gathered up his belongings and left for the first train.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

March 29, 1908


And All the Cars in Town Stopped as
a Consequence.

Just because a small engine in the power house at Thirty-first and Holmes streets went out every car line in the city was "tied up" yesterday afternoon at 5 o'clock. It was just at the time when traffic is the heaviest for the Metropolites, when business men and shoppers have begun to turn their faces homeward, and these unfortunate ones found themselves in a place where they had to wait an indefinite length of time, or walk the indefinite number of miles to their homes Many of them chose the latter course but were very careful to do a lot of their waling along the route of their "homegoing car."

When the engine at Thirty-first and Holmes streets got "lost" it affected the machinery in the large power house at Second street and Grand avenue. This power house, directly or indirectly, controls every line in the city and when its machines stopped, so did all of the cars throughout town. Emergency treatment was given to the engines at the power houses and within fifteen minutes the wheels began to turn and the cars started. Just how the engine in the Holmes street power house "went dead" will not be known until an examination is held today.

Labels: , , , ,

February 25, 1908





Two confidence men, who had fleeced J. W. Burrows, and Oklahoma ranchman, out of $1,000, were captured last night after an exciting chase, in which several shots were fired, and then, after being in the safe custody of two officers, made their escape at Eighth and Delaware streets through the alleged interference of Roy Casey, a constable of Justice Remley's court.

Both confidence men were arrested by Detective Lyngar, who captured the smaller of the swindlers as he was emerging from a Leavenworth car at the Junction. The larger of the confidence men jumped through the car window and fled down Delaware street. Lyngar, dragging the smaller prisoner with him, gave chase and finally fired at the escaping prisoner. The bullet entered the right arm and the man fell exhausted near the rear of the American Bank building.

Lyngar, determined to catch his man, turned the uninjured prisoner over to Patrolman Regan, and then grabbed the second man. The officers and prisoners then started for the call box at Eighth and Delaware streets and it is here, witnessees say, that Casey interfered.


Casey, in company with David S. Russell and C. E. Reckert of the city engineer's office, pushed through the crowd that had gathered and stopped Lyngar. Casey's explanation is that he did not know Lyngar was an officer and thought that he was going to shoot Patrolman Regan, who was marching in front with the injured prisoner. O. P. Rush of 3015 Olive street and L. R. Ronwell of 1902 East Thirty-first street witnessed the affair and told the police that they heard Lyngar tell Casey that he was an officer.

At any rate an arguent ensued. Patrolman Regan, who was holding his prisoner by the collar of his overcoat, turned around to ascertain what the trouble was. In an instant the inured prisoner slipped out of his overcoat and dived into the crowd. Regan pursued him, firing three shots at the criminal as he ran west on Eighth street. None of the bullets seem to have taken effect.

These shots created fresh excitement and Lyngar, furious with Casey's interruption, loosened his hold on the other man. In an instant the prisoner had jerked away from the officer and was lost in the crowd.


The only satisfaction Regan and Lyngar got was in arresting Casey. Regan rapped him twice over the head and Lynar took the constable to the Central station, where he was released on $26 bail. Casey had been attending the Republican convention.

The inured thief not alone lost his overcoat, but in plunging through the crowd lost his hat and undercoat as well. He was traced as far as Second and Wyandotte streets, where he purchased a new hat and coat. Then he ran toward the Kansas City Southern yards.


Upon the complaint of J. W. Burrows, Oklahoma ranchman, that he had been swindled out of $1,000 by the two confidence men, Detectives Lyngar and Lewis were assigned to the case. Lewis was called away, so Lyngar accompanied by Burrows, made the investigation alone. At the Junction, Burrows espied the two men inside a Leavenworth car at about 9 o'clock. Lyngar went after them. The larger of the men, finding the front entrance of the car shut off, jumped through a window. The smaller attempted to brush by Lyngar, but the detective grabbed him It was following this that the chase began, which ended in Casey's intererence and the escape of the men.

The coat lost by the injured prisoner contained a book which indicates that he lives in the vicinity of the Union stock yards in Chicago.

About 1 o'clock this morning police officers found the coat of the smaller of the two confidence men, from which he also slipped when he escaped from the officer's grasp. It was in Brannon's saloon, on Delaware street, near Eighth.

When the smaller "con" man squirmed out of the garment it fell in the crowd, which parted to allow him to pass. It is not known who took it to the saloon. It is the theory of the police that the $1,000 stolen from the ranchman was in the pocket of the little man's coat when he was captured. It wasn't there when the coat was found.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

February 23, 1907





Even After Being Strapped to Her Bed
She Makes Her Escape For
The Second Time --
Finally Subdued.

Attendants at the emergency hospital have had lively times with insane people, but the most strenuous time so far was Friday night and yesterday morning with Mrs. Emma Lucas, a demented woman, en route from Los Angeles, Cal., to Toledo, O. The woman was acting suspiciously at the Grand Central depot, Second and Wyandotte streets, and was taken to Central station late Friday night for investigation. When it was seen that she was demented she was transferred to the emercency hospital.

Mrs. Lucas, who is 27 years old, is a large woman and strong. She was confined in the women's ward but in a short while some one discovered her ponderous form climbing over the fence surrounding City Hall park. She had escaped through a window.

Dr. Ralph A. Shiras, who is not large, sallied forth in pursuit He overtook the big woman on Fifth near Delaware street and grabbed hold of her. The woman shook him off with ease and in turn grabbed the doctor. Dragging him along behind as she would a toy wagon she walked nearly to the Wyandotte street depot with the struggling doctor before aid in the form of two policemen who loomed up on the horizon. Emma was subdued and again landed in the women's ward.

Early yesterday morning Mrs. Shiras, who is night nurse at the emergency hospital, was busy attending a case and did not notice Mrs. Lucas. She had entered the operating room and, from a case, secured a large surgical knife. The woman was as sly as a fox, as all insane persons generally are, and in concealing the deadly weapon under her garments she went stealthily back to her ward. Her actions were noticed, however, by a patient and the alarm given.

Mrs. Lucas was made to give up the knife and she was then placed to bed and restraining straps put on her. To this she objected very much and was continually crying to be released. When her breakfast was served yesterday morning the insane woman used the knife sent up with the meal to cut her straps.

Once more the big woman made her escape by a window and was not seen until she was climbing over the fence of City Hall park. Across the street she fairly flew into a clothing store, where she demanded the use of a telephone to call for help, she said.

The stream of doctors, attendants and board of health attaches which followed the demented person would remind one strongly of a chase seen almost weekly in the kinodrome pictures at the Orpheum theater. She was corralled and returned, a restraining strap dangling from one of her feet.

In what was thought to be a lucid interval later Mrs. Lucas told Colonel J. C. Greenman, who looks after the insane for the police, that she had hidden a sum of money in the women's wash room at the Grand Central depot. Colonel Greenman searched for it but found nothing. Mrs. Lucas said that when she arrived here the money was in a stocking and that a woman passenger had advised her to take it out. She said she did so and hid it in the washroom.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

January 8, 1907


Some Say They're to Be Too Near
Railroad Yards.

Many property owners east of Main Street, north of Independence avenue and west of Highland are contemplating a petition to the board of park commissioners to protest against two sites said to have been chosen as playgrounds. A committee selected for the purpose reported Monday that it would recommend two sites, one bounded by Tracy and Lydia avenues, Second and Third streets, and another bounded by Gilliss, Campbell, Third and Fifth streets. The former is said to have been selected for a playground for negroes.

Many of the residents in the districts adjacent are complaining as they say both sites are too close to the railroad tracks. They claim that boys will be constantly tempted to "hop trains."

Property owners in the space bounded by and Forest avenues, Missouri avenue and Pacific street are the biggest objectors. A petition probably will be started in that neighborhood today.

"Twice this block has been selected by a committee," said a property owner in that block yesterday. "At least that was published and it gave rise to the report that our property was to be condemned for park or playground purposed. Many of us had sales consumated, even to the point of a deposit being made. No one would buy our property with the condemnation proceedings staring them in the face."

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

August 9, 1907


Bruises Received in Making Arrest
Indirectly the Cause.

M. C. McKee, a police officer, died yesterday of blood poisoning at Agnew hospital. He had been unconcsious for a week.

McKee received a broken nose and a severe bruise on the back of the head July 4 in a fall from a transfer wagon at the wharf at Second street and Broadway.

From his station at the Grand Central depot he was sent to stop a fight between teamsters. It was from the wagon of J. H. Hickman, a driver for the Empire Transfer Company, that he fell. His foot slipped from the wheel. Hickman is said to have jumped from the wagon and to have beaten and kicked the officer.

In police court the next morning McKee pleaded for leniency in behalf of the driver, saying he had a wife and family to support.

McKee after a two-day lay off went back to work, but collapsed after two weeks. For the last week he lay unconscious at his home, 653 Park avenue, and was removed
Wednesday to the hospital.

Coroner Thompson said last night that he will hold an inquest. Prosecutor Kimbrell will not file any information against Hickman until after the inquest. It is said that Hickman has left the city.

McKee had been on the force for four years.

Labels: , , , , ,

August 2, 1907


Ten Robberies in a Night Follow
Demoralization of Police Force.

Taking the reports of robberies and the work of pickpockets on Wednesday night immediately following the removal of Chief Hayes, it would seem that the crooked gentry are fully informed of the Folk police reorganization and the consequent demoralization of the force. Here is a list of one night's robberies:

L. C. Stein, 542 Park avenue, who has an office in the New York Life building, was robbed of a diamond valued at $200 on a street car at Eighth street and Grand avenue in the early evening. No arrests.

The room of Harry B. Monroe, 607 Walnut street, was entered and clothing and $10 taken. No arrests.

The Manhattan Ice Cream Company, 1710 Walnut street, was broken into, and property valued at $28 stolen. No arrests.

A burglar entered the room of Miss Lillian McDonaled, 1214 Troost avenue, and stole three rings valued at $50 and $5.75 in cash. No arrests.

Mrs. J. C. Frailey, also rooming at the foregoing number, lost $75 worth of jewelry by the visit of the same thief. No arrests.

Charles Payne, of Kansas City, Kas., was robbed of a gold watch valued at $40 at Sixth and Wyandotte streets. No arrests.

T. A. Nelson, 1634 Washington street, was robbed of a gold watch valued at $25. No arrests.

The barber shop of Fred Millick, 1507 Grand avenue, was broken into and property valued at $50 stolen. No arrests.

James Dowling, a guest at the Ashland hotel, reported that while asleep in his room a burglar entered and stole from beneath his pillow a watch valued at $100. No arrests.

The office of the Eadle Coal Company, Second and Wyandotte streets, was broken open and brass valued at $15 was stolen. No arrests.

Thomas Randall, a Kansas City, Kas. detective, reported that a man just across the line had been robbed of $220 in cash and the thief had made for Kansas City to be on "neutral ground." The police were given the name of the thief and a complete description of him. They say they are "working on the case." No arrests.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

July 26, 1907


Laborer Shoots Himself Leaning
Against Freight House.

W. C. Hopke, on his way to work at the Interstate Ice Company at 5 o'clock yesterday morning, found the body of a dead man sitting upright against the north side of the Kansas City Southern freight house at Second and Wyandotte streets. The police ambulance was summoned and Dr. Ford B. Rogers found that the man had evidently shot himself. A bullet from a 45-caliber Colt's revolver had entered the right temple, come out at the left temple and imbedded itself in a wooden timber at the dead man's side. The revover was still clutched in the right hand.

Coroner George B. Thompson sent the body to Stine's morgue, where it has remained so far unidentified.

The dead man, who has the appearance of having been a laborer above the common class, appears to be between 47 and 50 years old. He is six feet tall and weighs probably 200 pounds. His complexion is dark, his hair and mustache and eyes are brown and the head is bald. He had only four teeth remaining in the upper jaw. He wore a blue shirt and dark clothes.

Labels: , , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory