Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

February 2, 1910


Down Town Kyle-for-Mayor Club Is
Return for Advice Given.

C. H. Calloway, one of the best known negro orators in Republican ranks, has become president of a Kyle-for-Mayor club with headquarters at 815 McGee street. Dr. E. C. Bunch is secretary of the club.

The negroes reside in various wards, but opened a down-town workshop patterned after "Shootin' Gallery" Bill Green's work for Darius A. Brown in the Eighth ward, where the white Republicans have a down-town office, a permanent headquarters and an auditorium for blow-outs in the Spiritualistic church farther east in the ward.

The negroes formed a club to work for Judge Kyle in return for advice he has given them that the way to elevate their race is by patronizing negro businesses and professional men.

Labels: , , , ,

February 1, 1910


Work on Empress Starts Today;
To Be Finished May 1.

"We will start the foundation of the Empress theater today," said Fred Lincoln of Chicago, representative of the Sullivan-Considine circuit, which is to erect a new play house at Twelfth and McGee streets. "We expect to put three gangs of men at work on the building, working in 8-hour shifts and will have it ready for occupancy by May 1. Lee DeCamp of Cincinnati, the architect, will be here today. The house will cost about $100,000."

Labels: , , , ,

December 6, 1909


Large Tree Will Be Prepared in
Convention Hall -- Names Should
Be Addressed to the Mayor.

The Mayor's Christmas Tree association, which was suggested and carried out last year for the first time in the history of Kansas City, is preparing to give the deserving poor children of this city a great treat this Christmas. Elaborate plans are being worked out by the committee. Headquarters have been opened in the Reliance building at Tenth and McGee streets, where contributions will be received, and also the names of the poor. The city will be canvassed during the next three weeks for the names of the children to be placed on the list. Several large Christmas trees will be prepared in Convention hall where the big event is to take place on the night of December 24, and under the direction of the distribution committee the presents will be given to all children who are deemed entitled to receive them.

Names, or suggestions as to distribution of presents, should be addressed to the mayor, and all checks and remittances for the mayor's Christmas tree should be plainly marked and mailed to the city comptroller, Gus Pearson, treasurer of the association for this year.

The members of the executive committee are Thomas Watts, Louis W. Shouse, Jacob Billikopf, M. G. Harman, A. E. Hutchings, Dave McDonnell, Henry Manke, Rev. Charles W. Moore, Steve Sedweek, T. T. Crittenden, John F. Pelletier, Franklin D. Hudson, A. Judah, George F. Damon, Justin A. Runyan, Gus Pearson, H. E. Barker and George C. Hale.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

September 24, 1909


Eight Rooming Houses Must Move
by October 1.

Notice to move before the first of October was served by Lieutenant C. D. Stone of the Walnut street police station yesterday, to eight women now conducting rooming houses between Thirteenth and Fourteenth on McGee street.

The order is direct from the police commissioners and is a movement, Lieutenant Stone said last night, to clean up districts in the line of travel to the new Union station when it is erected.

Labels: , , , ,

August 12, 1909


One of John D.'s Tank Wagons Suf-
fered From the Combination.

A mischievous boy, a lighted match and a Standard Oil tank wagon combined in a very plausible fire yesterday afternoon.

The tank wagon was standing out in front of a grocery store at Thirty-third and McGee streets when a boy passed, lighted a match and threw it into the bucket box in the rear of the wagon. Then he ran, then the fire started and the wagon went up in smoke. Simple case of cause and effect.

Labels: , , ,

August 6, 1909


Anxious Wives of Four Appeal to
Police for Assistance.

If the police do nothing else but look for missing persons the entire department would be kept busy during the next few days. Four persons were reported as missing form their homes yesterday.

George Mitchell, 2328 McGee street, left for the harvest fields June 15. His wife, who is in destitute circumstances, with two children to support, became anxious yesterday and gave the man's description to the police. She can't understand his protracted absence.

The disappearance of H. W. Rutherford, 415 West Sixth street, Kansas City, Kas., who left his home ten days ago, has worried his friends. the man is 60 years old, is gray headed and weighs 150 pounds. The police were asked to aid in the search today.

Another woman in trouble is Mrs. Julia Johnson, who is stopping at the Helping Hand. She is convinced that her husband is working at some restaurant in the North end but doesn't know where.

Mrs. W. H. Treymeyer, 3143 Summit street, is also in the same dilemma. Theymeyer is 43 years old, is six-feet two inches in height, weighs 170 pounds, has a black moustache and black hair.

Labels: , , , , , ,

August 4, 1909

GIFT OF $50,000 TO

Thomas H. Swope Offers $25,000
in Cash and Ground on Camp-
bell Near Sixteenth Street
for New Building.

Thomas H. Swope, already Kansas City's manifold benefactor, has given $50,000 to Franklin institute, half in land, half in cash. Unless the donor should extend the time limit the gift will be forfeited November 1 if an additional $50,000 is not raised by that date.

A noon meeting of the directorate of the institute was held yesterday and the members decided to supplement the donation by $5,000 or $10,000 to be raised among their own number. No city-wide campaign for funds will be made, but a quiet effort will be put forth to obtain the money from friends of the social settlement.

Little apprehension that the required amount cannot be raised is entertained.

Henry f. Holt of the architectural firm of Howe & Holt, is one of the directors of the institute. He will set about at once planning the building which the Swope gift makes possible. The site donated lies on the west side of Campbell street between Sixteenth and Seventeenth. Its dimensions are 105 x 142 feet.

Established six years ago, Franklin institute has grown amid adverse conditions. It is now located at Nineteenth and McGee streets, in a two-story frame house which is rented from month to month. In spite of the obstacles which had to be overcome, the work of the settlement has attracted the substantial attention of many Kansas Cityans interested and informed on matters of charity.

For some time Mr. Swope has entertained a strong interest in the results of institutional work, and after acquainting himself with the philanthropic activity of Franklin institute made known his intention to help it to the extent of $50,000. His gift was made with absolutely no solicitation on part of friends of the institute.

Ralph P. Swofford is president of the institute, and J. T. Chafin is head resident. The other officers are Henry D. Faxon, vice president; Fletcher Cowherd, treasurer, and Herbert V. Jones, secretary.

The directorate is made up of William Cheek, Henry F. Holt., R. H. McCord, Rabbi Harry H. Mayer, Howard F. Lee, Benjamin B. Lee, H. J. Diffenbaugh, W. J. Berkowitz, George T. Vance, I. D. Hook, D. L. James and E. L. McClure.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

July 26, 1909


Clean Up's and Better Lighting
Fatal to Police Excitement.

So many years ago that the oldest member of the police department scarcely remembers it, No. 2 police station in the West Bottoms was a busy point and the number of arrests there for a single night ranged from five to forty-five. Now it is a back number and the happy patrolman walking beats in the No. 2 district has a snap equal to that of being a line man for the Marconi system. This is the result of a forgotten clean-up in the early '90s. Such a clean-up is now relegating No. 4 district to an unimportant one in the city.

Captain Thomas Flahive, lately removed to No. 5 station in Westport, used to book all the way from five to twenty-five "drunks" and "vag" at the Walnut street holdover, and Lieutenant C. DeWitt Stone on his advent there promised to increase the average so that no safe limit could be ascribed to it.

"But now there is a slump in crime there," Stone said last night. "We still make arrests but they are invariably tame ones and the time is about here when there will be practically none at all. Drag nets and the brilliant lighting of McGee street, formerly as wicked as any place in the North End, has wrought a change for the better, fatal to the excitement attendant on being an officer."

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

July 19, 1909



Five Highwaymen With Revolvers
Get Dollar Apiece From One Vic-
tim -- Diamonds and Watches
Among the Loot.

Six holdups occurred in Kansas City Saturday night and Sunday morning. In every case the robbers succeeded in getting money, and some of the victims gave up their watches.

Frank Serrett, 829 South Valley street, Kansas City, Kas., the first victim to complain to the police, reported that two men held him up in the alley between Main and Walnut on Ninth street. While one of the highwaymen searched his pockets, the other man kept him covered with a pistol A watch and $10 comprised the booty.

At 10 o'clock Saturday night George Mangoe, 115 1/2 Central street, Kansas City, Kas., reported that he had been robbed by two men, and his watch stolen. The robbery occurred at Ninth and Wyoming streets.

It took five men to stop and rob James Bone, 4413 Bell avenue, at about 11 p. m., at Forty-first and Bell avenue, at about 11 p. m., at Forty-first and Bell avenue. According to Bone, all of the robbers were armed with revolvers and held them in sight. He gave up $5 to the brigands.

A watch at $7 were taken from J. W. Brown, 1326 Grand avenue, at Thirteenth and Franklin streets by two men.

H. A. Lucius, 215 West Fourteenth street, reported to the police that he had been robbed or $50 near 2854 Southwest boulevard.

G. W. Shaw, Strong City, Kas., entered police headquarters early Sunday morning and informed the police that he had been robbed in front of a saloon near McGee and Third streets. He reported the loss of an Elk's tooth and two unset diamonds.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

July 11, 1909


William Henry Brundage Dies at
Age of 64.

William Henry Brundage, who built his own factory the first hose wagon used by the Kansas City fire department, died at his home at 2817 East Ninth street of a complication of diseases at an early hour yesterday morning. He was 64 years old. Mr. Brundage is survived by a widow and a son, W. A. Brundage, who is a traveling salesman for the Anderson Coupling Company.

Coming to Kansas City in the spring of 1870, Mr. Brundage established a wagon factory at 507 Grand avenue in the following year. He manufactured all kinds of equippages, among them hose carts and trucks. When the old volunteer fire company was done away with and the new devices installed Mr. Brundage got the first order for fire trucks and is said to have supplied a very superior article for that time.

Twenty years ago the factory on Grand avenue burned and a new one was built at 1420-22-24 McGee street, where Mr. Brundage was a member of the Commercial Club. After his retirement from business he traveled in the South for his health. He returned a few weeks ago. He has a home at 1849 Independence avenue.

At the time of his marriage in 1868 Mr. Brundage at that time was paymaster in the army under General Curtis.

All attempts to locate the son, who is traveling in Kansas, failed yesterday. The Anderson company, however, assured Mrs. Brundage that he would be found some time today.

Labels: , , , , , ,

July 3, 1909


Public Showers From Fire Plug Will
Be Suspended Over Gutter -- Is
Superintendent Brig-
ham's Idea.
The "Brigham Bath" for North End Youngsters.

Large numbers of children living in the North End have been without necessary baths for many moons. With the approach of hot weather the demand for some place where the youngsters of Little Italy and adjoining districts can get enough water to clean and cool their skins has become an imperative, and the Helping Hand institute proposes to come to the rescue with a novel device for free public baths on the street corners.

"The old swimmin' hole is a thing of the past," said E. T. Brigham, superintendent of the institute, last night. "The river is too swift for swimming and free public baths for the North End exist only in the minds of theoretical social workers, as yet, so that some substitute must be found. I have conceived the idea of putting up a half dozen public shower baths where the little ones can get their skins soaked nightly and have a great deal of pleasure besides."

Mr. Brigham has in mind a contrivance which he hopes will answer all the purposes of a miniature Atlantic city for Little Italy. An inch iron pipe will conduct the water from a city fire plug to a point seven feet over the gutter, where a "T" will be formed, the branches containing five horseshoe-shaped showers.

One of the portable baths has already been constructed and will be tried out tonight at Fourth and Locust streets.

Bathers will be expected to wear their ordinary dress, that is, a single garment, which is the mode for children in the North End. Thus the shower will serve the double purpose of a recreation and a laundry.

For years something in the line of this free, open-air public bath has been in operation at Nineteenth and McGee streets in the vicinity of the McClure flats. Nightly during the summer the children collect when the fire plug is to be turned on to flush the gutters, and stand in the stream. The stream is too strong for them to brave it for more than a second at a time, but many of them manage to get a bath which they probably would not get any other way.

"Children are naturally cleanly," said Mr. Brigham. "Although they like to get dirt upon themselves, they also like to get it off. I think the shower bath on the street corner should prove one of the most popular institutions in the North End."

Labels: , , , , , ,

May 28, 1909


Tenement Commission's Advice Con-
cerning "Red Light" Districts.

In a letter to the board of police commissioners yesterday the tenement commission advised the board that conditions on Twelfth street in the neighborhood of Central high school were not ideal, and that many hotels and rooming houses in that neighborhood were frequented by an undesirable class of inmates.

The commission also advised that the "red light" district be segregated to definite boundaries, south of Twelfth street. The letter advised that the boundaries of the district be fixed at Main street on the west, McGee street on the east, Eighteenth street on the south and Fourteenth street on the north. The district in the North End should be bounded on the north by Second street, on the east by Wyandotte street, on the south by Fifth street and on the west by Broadway.

Commissioner Marks was delegated to make an investigation of the matter, and report at the next meeting.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

May 27, 1909


Young Man, Who Tried to Make
Sale, Held for Investigation.

A young man entered Leo J. Stewart's undertaking rooms at 1212 McGee street yesterday afternoon and offered to sell two boxes containing a dozen cheap coffin handles. The suspicions of William Stewart, junior member of the firm, were aroused, and when the man returned with three more boxes he had him arrested by Officers Lucius Downing and J. C. W. Dyson. The prisoner gave the name of Ed McBride and his residence as 521 East Nineteenth street.

The coffin handles were identified by H. R. Miller of the Wagner undertaking firm as some that had been taken from their warehouse. In McBride's pockets were found a Chicago street car transfer dated April 9, a St. Louis transfer dated April 8 and a paper back copy of "Fetters That Sear." He was held for investigation.

Labels: , , , ,

May 3, 1909


Report That William Morris, "The
Independent," Will Enter Kan-
sas City Field.

That William Morris, Inc., the independent vaudeville magnate, who is fighting the vaudeville houses controlled by the Orpheum, Keith & Proctor, Kohl and Castle and others of the so-called United offices, will have a theater in Kansas City next season is reported on excellent authority.

It was said last night that the man who owns the property at the northwest corner of Twelfth and McGee streets contemplated to build a 15-story office building on his site, the building to face on Twelfth street. Back of it will be erected a $100,000 theater, a separate structure which will face on McGee street. A Twelfth street entrance to the theater will be arranged through the office building.

Theodor D. Marks, who is affiliated with the Morris offices, was in Kansas City a month ago when the negotiations were begun. It is said that a Morris representative is due here next Saturday to close the lease on the property.

William Morris, Inc., now has vaudeville theaters in New York, Brooklyn, Boston, Newark and Chicago, and besides, is affiliated with Sullivan and Consadine vaudeville people in the distribution of certain of his bookings. Sullivan and Consadine have a circuit of theaters extending from coast to coast, but have never entered the Kansas City field on a big basis.

By jumping acts from his Chicago theater, Morris could give Kansas City a new vaudeville bill every week without the loss of a performance.

Labels: , , , , ,

April 20, 1909


Unusual Duties Devolve Upon Mem-
bers of Twelfth Street Crew.

T. J. Randall, 522 Elmwood avenue, a conductor on the Twelfth street line of the Metropolitan street railway, and his motorman, were yesterday forced into temporary custodianship of a 2-year-old baby girl.

"When I helped a number of women to alight from my car at Twelfth street and Grand avenue about noon yesterday I didn't know that one of them was making a nursemaid of me," said Randall last night, "or I would surely have set up a longer and larger howl than the baby did a few minutes later.

"About the time I jingled the bell to get away from McGee street, and began to feel good about the light load I had aboard, with lunch looking strong at me after the next trip, I heard that wail. It was long and plaintive. At first I paid no attention to it, and as it persisted I looked into the car and saw the youngster was alone.

"I went to the little one and asked what was the matter. 'Mamma,' was all the answer I could get. 'Where is your mama?" I asked her, and the saddest, sorriest, most doleful and altogether hopeless 'gone,' from the baby, told the story. It was up to me and I made the best of it. I rocked her and talked to her and carried her up and down the car in an effort to quell the riot that was evidently going on within the breast of my diminutive and unwilling passenger.

"At the end of the line I made Allen, my motorman, take the kid, and he had his troubles for about five minutes while I got some candy. The trap back was really pleasant. The candy was good and the kiddy was better. Not another sound aside from the occasional smacking of tiny lips was heard all the way in. At Grand avenue, where the mother got off, there was a delegation waiting for me; mamma remembered her baby, and say, she was tickled to get that kid back in her arms again. But she wasn't any more tickled to get her than I was to get rid of her. Babies are all right at home, but a conductor's job was never calculated to include nursing."

Crossing Patrolman Heckenburg got the story a few minutes after the car left Grand avenue. The mother was almost frantic for nearly an hour, and stayed close to the bluecoat, anxiously inspecting every car that passed the corner until the right one came along.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

April 11, 1909



John Burns and Charles Adams
Made Dash for Liberty When De-
tectives Entered Room -- Moulds
and "Queer" Money Seized.


With metal in the melting pot just about hot enough to pour and the moulds on a table ready to receive it, John F. Burns and Charles Adams were surprised yesterday morning in the act of making some sort of coin by Detectives James Fox and William Walsh of Captain Thomas P. Flahive's district. The men were found in the back room of a house at 1732 Oak street. They claim they were merely trying to make a medallion.

At the first intimation of danger, Burns, who was engaged in preparing the moulds, made a dash for the door, ran to the stairs and jumped to the floor below. Detective Walsh followed him, but by a misstep, lost his footing and fell from the top step to the bottom, injuring his leg.

Notwithstanding his injury he pursued the man south on McGee street to Twentieth and back through the alley between Grand and McGee. A small dog guarding the shed, angered by Burns' sudden intrusion, set up a loud barking and snarling. The actions of the dog attracted the attention of Michael Gleason, patrolman in that neighborhood, who immediately ran to the place, arriving there about the same time as Walsh. Walsh fired three shots while pursuing his man. At the station it was found the injury to his leg was so severe that it was necessary to send the detective to his home in an ambulance.


Adams, Burns' partner, was finishing his lunch when the police entered. By an oversight, the police declare, the door to the room was left unlocked. The alleged counterfeiters base their one hope of leniency on this fact, asserting that they were simply "experimenting" to find a metal with which they could get a "sharp" reproduction of a medallion by the use of plaster of Paris moulds.

In the room was found two plaster moulds, one with the impression of a silver quarter, and the other a half dollar, together with eight counterfeit half dollars. The coins were fair imitations, but lacked weight and "ringing" qualities. The edges of the coins were still in the rough, just as they were taken out of the moulds.

Files, chisels, and odd-shaped knives, together with a seal, were also found among the paraphernalia confiscated. The scale was a crude affair, made with copper wire and the tops of two tin cans. The can tops served as trays, the whole danging from a nail driven into an upright stick of wood and fastened to a pedestal.

According to Burns and Adams the scale was used to weigh the ingredients for the alloy.

"We got our ideas from books in the public library," said Burns yesterday. "In passing a jewelry store on Main street about three weeks ago w2e saw a medallion of Kansas City displayed in the window. The price was $1.75, and we got an idea that if we could reproduce that medallion for 30 or 40 cents we could make money by the sale of them.


"Not wishing to go to the expense of having a die made, we used the coins , as the book from which we gained our information stated that coins could be used for experimenting purposes. We conducted our experiments openly and made no effort to conceal our actions. Mrs. Nellie Evett, the landlady at 1732 Oak street, saw our toils and the moulds in the room. Our door was never locked and anyone who wanted could come in at any time.

Mrs. Evett said yesterday that she did not know in what work the men were engaged. She dec la4red that she had been in their rooms but once or twice since they took them, six weeks ago. She said further that Burns and Adams had paid her but one week's rent since they came.

"I knew they wre out of work," said she, "and I felt sorry for them. They seemed to be gentlemanly, good boys, and I know they tried to find something to do to earn an honest living."

Captain Flahive called Burns into his private office yesterday afternoon while Mrs. Evett was present. At the end of the interview, Burns took an affectionate leave of his former landlady, pressing her hand and kissing her. Following this, Mrs. Evett was subjected to a rigid cross examination, but convinced of her innocence and ignorance of details regarding the work carried on in her rooms, Captain Flahive allowed her to go.

Labels: , , , , ,

March 17, 1909



Limousine Struck by Twelfth Street
Car and Five Occupants Hurled
to Ground -- One Seriously
Injured -- Owner in Paris.

An expensive motor car belonging to William Kenefick, 1485 Independence avenue, was demolished yesterday afternoon at 2:30 by being struck by a street car at Twelfth and Oak streets. Daisy West, 1333 McGee street, who was in the limousine, was seriously injured. The machine was driven by William Tate, a trusted employe of Mr. Kenefick, who is now in Paris. Mr. Kenefick is president of the Missouri, Oklahoma & Gulf railroad.

In the machine at the time of the accident were four friends of Tate' whom he was entertaining.


Taking the machine from the garage yesterday afternoon Tate invited four friends, two men and two women, to go for a ride over the boulevards. Leaving Miss West's home on McGee street, the driver steered the machine over to Oak and started north on that street. As he was crossing the street car tracks on Twelfth street a car going west struck the machine on the right side, just in front of the rear wheels. The machine was thrown over on the side and skidded across the street and onto the sidewalk on the northwest corner of Oak street.

Those persons riding inside of the limousine were thrown from their seats and besides being shaken up were cut by broken glass. Miss West was the only one seriously injured, and she was carried into Hucke's drug store, on the corner, and cared for until an ambulance from Eylar's Livery Company conveyed her to the University hospital.


Dr. George O. Todd was summoned and found the woman to be suffering from a severe wrench of the back, several scalp wounds and possible internal injuries. She was later taken to her home. At the hospital she gave the name of Davis.

The Admiral Auto Livery Company righted the maching and then towed it to the Pope-Hartford Auto Sales Company, 1925 Grand avenue. At the machine shop it was said that the machine was a total wreck and not worth repairing. Thee top was broken and cracked in various places and badly sprung.


Mrs. J. W. H offman, 314 West Armour boulevard, a daughter of Mr. Kenefick, last night said that the chauffeur had not informed her of the accident. She said Tate had not been granted permission to use the car and had never before been known to use it secretly. The machine was a Pope-Toledo valued at $6,500 and was about a year old, she said. On Saturday the motor was taken out of the repair shop.

Tate, who is about 27 years old, has worked for Mr. Kenefick since he was 13 years old. Those in the machine at the time of the accident refused to talk aobut it or give their names. Patrolman Patrick Thornton, who walks on Twelfth street, arrived a few minutes after the accident but when the interested parties once refused to talk the patrolman ceased activity. He allowed them to go without getting any of the details as to who they were.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

February 27, 1909



Supplied Part of Kansas City With
Water 44 Years Ago, When
There Were No Meters
to Watch.

When a heavily-laden wagon broke through the asphalt paving at the corner of Tenth and McGee streets yesterday afternoon and the rear wheels sank into a hole to the hubs little damage resulted. There was a general outpouring of reminiscences, however, from old-timers who witnessed the accident that made the incident an interesting story, for the hole into which the wheels sank is what remains of a well from which the pioneers of Kansas City obtained their drinking water in the early '70s.

Of the history of the old well, J. F. Spalding, president of the Spalding Commercial college and a pioneer of Kansas City, said:

"That hole is the old well which was sunk by Thomas Smart forty-four years ago. Smart purchased the forty acres of Ninth and Fourteenth streets and laid out an addition to Kansas City. There was a lack of good drinking water on the hill and Colonel Smart dug the well at the corner of Tenth and McGee. It was eighty feet deep and contained the finest of water. The settlers of the new addition used the water from the well for years. Finally it was abandoned and partly filled. Later it was cut down when the hill was graded for the old Tenth street cable line. Still later it was covered with an old stone slab and the pavers went right over it. I had almost forgotten about it until I saw that wagon break through there and then I recalled it at once. It was one of the city's landmarks in her infant days."

The hole caused by the wagon disclosed the walls of the old well. The pavement covering it was not more than three-quarters of an inch thick and the wonder is that it did not give away under heavy traffic before.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

November 27, 1908


If There Was, It Wasn't the Fault
of Givers of Dinners.

Amid the general rejoicing and feeling of goodfellowship incident to a perfect Thanksgiving day, the less fortunate inhabitants of the city were not forgotten. At every charitable institution in the city a dinner was provided for the inmates. The Salvation Army, Franklin institute, Union mission and other organizations of like character fed hundreds of poor persons, and sent many baskets of provisions to deserving families who were unable to attend the dinners.

The Union mission, at Eighteenth and McGee streets, provided a dinner and fed over 400 persons. Special invitations had been sent out and persons from Rosedale, Argentine, Kansas City, Kas., and country districts attended the dinner. Everything in the way of eatables was provided, and if any person in Kansas City went without a Thanksgiving dinner yesterday it was not because of a lack of opportunity.

"It was certainly good to see those poor persons eat," said the Rev. Mrs. Rose Cockriel, the pastor of the mission. "Those who came to the dinner ranged in age from 7 weeks to 33 years, and they all appeared to enjoy themselves. Six little boys, the oldest one 10 years of age, walked in from beyond the Blue river. We gave them their dinner and a basket of provisions to take to their home."

At the Old Folks and Orphans' home the day was celebrated with an old-fashioned dinner, turkey, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pies and everything that should be eaten on that day. At the Perry Orphan Boys' home 130 boys partook of the good things that had been provided for them.

At the Working Girls' hotel there was really a day of thanksgiving, not alone because of the excellent dinner, for in addition to that some unknown friend donated a high grade piano to the institution. From the standpoint of charity and general cause for thankfulness, the day was very much a success.

At the county jail Marshal Al Heslip provided a dinner for the prisoners, of whom there now are fewer than 200. All the trimmings went with the spread. Eatables out of the ordinary also were served at the Detention home, where juvenile prisoners are confined.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

November 21, 1908


Additional Stories May Be Added to
Architect's Building.

The old building at 1118 McGee street is being torn down and a three-story brick and steel structure will be built on the lot by Louis Curtiss. The new building will be so constructed that five additional stories may be built. Mr. Curtiss is an architect and he plans to use part of the building for his business. The property was leased by Mr. Curtiss for ninety-nine years from George S. Myers. The consideration is $2,500 a year. Denison & Carter represented both parties.

Labels: , ,

November 4, 1908


Great Crowds in Front of Newspaper
Offices -- Returns at the

Republicans and Democrats alike, not to mention members of the lesser parties, stood cheek by jowl for hours last night -- not in beatific political harmony -- but in a common desire to rubber over the other fellow's shoulder and catch the flashes of election news that were thrown on canvass screens by the stereopticon in many parts of the city. Everybody jostled and laughed and gently roasted each other, and when the returns suited them yelled approval, but never was an ugly bit of temper put on unpleasant display.

Kansas City stayed up late enough to learn the approximate fate of its favorite candidate, and then went to bed with a fair assurance that it would awaken in the land of the free whether Taft, Bryan, or somebody else were elected. For once in the year at least, Papa Casey had a healthy excuse to present to Mamma Casey for staying out so late, but for the fact that in many cases that she was out with him and all the little Caseys.


Most of the crowd didn't see the men behind the stereopticon, seated at tables and busily transcribing telegrams to the little glass slides in black drawing ink. They had to write minutely so as to get all of a telegram on one of the three by four panes of glass, but the phonographs and cartoons kept the people standing until another fresh slide was ready to put in.

The adding machine was in much demand and whole batteries of them did nocturnal duty in the various newspaper offices, with experts from the banks who knew how to punch the keys properly. Though serpentine in name, the adders produced some straight figures that won't miss the official returns very far, for the benefit of the multitude.


In the lodge room of the Elk's Club the furniture was swathed in roughing-it covering and the members held forth for the night, as was true at the Commercial Club, where the attaches of the club and transportation bureau were enlisted in the work of handling the returns.

At the Y. M. C. A. a wire was cut in and between telegrams the waiters were entertained by a stereopticon lecture on California by Aldred Foster of New Zealand.

Members of the Railroad Club heard the returns at the club rooms in Walnut street and after the theaters closed Thespians came up to join them.

Federal officers and employes for the most part heard the returns in the federal court room on the third floor of the postoffice building, and in Convention hall and at the corners of Eighth and McGee, Tenth and McGee and Eleventh and Grand great crowds stood far into the night to get the returns as they came in.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

July 25, 1908


One Encounter With Scott Was
Enough for George Ricks.

George Ricks, who lives with his wife at 1824 McGee street, was arrested last November by Officer E. M. Scott. Ricks made a very vigorous resistance at the time and it was necessary for the police surgeon to take forty-two stitches in his head when the officer got through with him. Judge Harry Kyle fined Ricks $50 in police court the next morning for wife beating.

Last night neighbors complained that Ricks was beating his wife again, and Officers Scott and J. E. Wallace were sent to arrest him. When Ricks saw Scott coming he submitted to arrest without making trouble.

Labels: , , ,

June 20, 1908


Rev. Brown, Under Liquor, Is Ar-
rested. Says He Has Passed
Worthless Checks and Played
in Some Stiff Games.

"The way of the transgressor is hard." This was the text of a sermon preached by the Rev. C. S. L. Brown at the West Side Christian church, Twentieth street and Pennsylvania avenue, on Sunday night, October 7, 1906. His subject was "Lights and Shadows of Life, or Positive and Negative Teachings."

Since that memorable night when the Rev. Mr. Brown, who six years before had worked as a porter at the Hotel Baltimore, preached before a large congregation, many of whom were his personal friends, glad of his success, he has found out the hard truth of his text -- "The way of the transgressor is hard."

Last night the Rev. Mr. Brown was arrested at Sixth and Walnut streets by Patrolman Harry Arthur. He was locked up for investigation and spent the night in a cell at Central station. When arrested he was in the street. He had thrown away his hat, his coat was off and he had all but stripped the upper portion of his body of clothing.

It was the same Rev. Mr. Brown who a few months ago stood boldly before his congregation at Lee's Summit, Mo., and acknowledged that he had been gambling and drinking. He was drinking last night. When he occupied the pulpit of Rev. W. O. Thomas here in October, 1906, Rev. Mr. Brown then was pastor of a Christian church at Washington, Kas. His mother, a woman of wealth and culture, lives there now. His wife and four small children are with his mother. He is 30 years old.

The minister admitted last night he had been drinking and gambling in Kansas City almost ever since his downfall at Lee's Summit. He said he had passed about $60 worth of worthless checks. He could recall one for $12.50 on C. J. Mees, a saloonkeeper, Sixth and Walnut; one for $15 on James Riddle, saloon, Independence avenue and McGee street, and two at Lee's Summit.

"I can trace my downfall to the love of a woman," he said, with tears in his eyes. "Then the gamblers got hold of me here and what they have left you see now -- a wreck, beaten, down and out. I am willing to take my medicine like a man and serve my five or ten years, but before God I will not divulge the name of the woman. Her name must be protected, as I alone am to blame.

"When I got in my trouble and had to leave my church and Lee's Summit," he continued, "a minister friend down there went to my mother at Washington, Kas., and got $400 to square things. She told him he could have ten times that amount. With part of that I even paid gambling debts to men here who since have refused to give me 10 cents to buy a dish of chile.

"Gambling! Gambling!" he almost shrieked. "Is there much gambling here? Yes. I could lead you to some of the stiffest games you ever saw and they seem to be running with ease. Of course most of them are in hotels and hard to catch. Yes, I have been before the grand jury with it."

The Rev. Mr. Brown refused to divulge the names of the men who had "trimmed" him here. He said "Their time will come later. He said that he went through the Boer war in the service of England. Then he was a soldier of fortune.

"It was there I contracted the drinking and gambling habits," he admitted with bowed head. "I felt the craving for the old habits returning and battled with them as long as I could. At a weak moment, other troubles begetting me, I fell 'as the angels fell from Heaven to the blackest depths of Hell.' Since then the course has been down, down, down with an awful rush."

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

June 14, 1908


Broke Away From Police, but Was
Caught After Exciting Chase.

The family of E. C. Miller, livintg at 221 East Fourteenth street, was annoyed for several days by a "peeping Tom," and Mr. Miller complained to the police. A. B. Cummins and John Rooth, plain clothes men, were detailed on the case. Last nigth they caught a man peering into a rear window of the house and arrested him. They started down Fourteenth street with the prisoner between them, but at the alley between McGee and Grand avenue the man broke away from the officers, knocking down a passing pedestrian and throwing Officer Rooth, who tried to hold him by the coat, to the ground. Officer Cummings immediately drew his revolver and shot at the man, but missed. He then took up the chase, but was losing ground when, after they had run a block, the man stumbled on a heap of old iron and fell. Even then he showed fight, and Cummins was compelled to hit h im with the butt end of his gun before he submitted.

When taken to the Walnut street police station the prisoner gave the name of Thomas Randolph, and said he was a paper carrier. His wounds were dressed by Dr. Carl V. Bates and he was locked up . A charge of disturbing the peace was placed against him.

Labels: , , , , , ,

April 24, 1908



President of Ginger Club Asks $100,000
for Alleged Alienation of
Affections -- "Contemp-
tible, Says Humes.

Ms. Emma Richards, wife of E. J. Richards, a hatter and president of the Ginger Club in the "300" block on Twelfth street, yesterday forenoon sued for divorce and a restraining order to prevent her husband from selling their household goods or disposing of his property. The Richardses live at 3910 Walrond avenue.

In the afternoon Mr. Richards brought suit against John C. Humes, president of the J. C. Humes Crockery Company, 1009 Walnut street, for $100,000 on a charge of alienating the affections of Mrs. Richards.

Enough charges and counter charges are made to fill a book. John T. Harding, Mrs. Richards's attorney in the first suit, also represents Humes in the second. Mrs. Richards charges that her husband has abandoned her many times and as many times has begged to be taken back. He has often accused her of improper conduct, she says, and has always later denied the truth of such charges. She also alleges cruelty. Three times, in his fits of suspicion that she wanted to talk to someone he did not wish her to talk to, she charges, he has torn the telephone from the wall of their house.


According to Richards's petition Humes and Mrs. Richards became acquainted April 25, 1907. Humes loaned Richards $6,000 and became a partner in the hat store. Last summer Mr. and Mrs. Humes spent in Europe. Richards alleges that Humes wrote a letter or a postcard daily to Mrs. Richards, in which he called her by pet names, and that Mrs. Richards answered daily.

John C.Humes, when seen at his home at 4006 McGee street, talked freely and frankly, saying:

"I loaned Richards $6,000 to keep his hat store afloat. He squandered it and now owes nearly as much more to various creditors. Because I wouldn't pay his bills he brings this suit. He offered to settle the case before he filed it.

"I have known Richards for years and thought he was a nice fellow and a promising young business man. I allowed him to live in my house rent free all of last summer, while I was in Europe. He and his wife have taken Sunday dinners with me and my wife and daughter, ever Sunday almost, until two weeks ago. I can only say now that he is a contemptible cur. I am innocent of everything he charges or hints at in his suit. I could not have settled for money, but did not because I am not afraid of a trial."


Attorney John T. Harding of Brown, Harding & Brown says:

"I don't believe that Richards's suit against Humes will ever be tried. Richards came to my office last Friday at 2 o'clock and offered not to file the case. Humes was present and refused."

Battle McCardle, Richards's attorney, comes back with a flat denial of the statements that any offer has been made to settle the case.

"I talked with Harding and Humes on two afternoons of last week," McCardle says, "and urged humes to let Richards's wife alone. Humes wouldn't talk to me at all. There was nothing said about money."

Mrs. Emma Richards is living with her mother, Mrs. Martha Pursell of Indianapolis, Ind., and her 10-year-old son in the Doris apartments. All the windows were dark last night and repeated rings on the hall bell failed to bring an answer. A knock on the door, at the head of the first flight of stairs brought the troubled face of a pretty woman of about 30 years.

"You are Mrs. Richards?"


"Will you testify for or against your husband in the suit he today brought against John Humes?"

"Oh, I won't talk of that. I can not believe," she began, "I can not believe that Ed would use my name for --" Sobs finished the sentence.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

April 8, 1908


Never Before Have So Many People
Assembled to Read the Bulletins.

After the returns last night had indicated beyond a doubt the election of Mr. Crittenden, the crowds on the streets began to organize, and at 11 o'clock had grown to most remarkable proportions. They were apparently wild with delight and they began marching form one street corner to another, cheering and waving handkerchiefs and umbrellas. It was the most demonstrative crowd that ever assembled after an election of any kind in Kansas City.

The crowds first began to gather shortly after 7 o'clock around the Journal office, where the election returns were being pictured. As the evening advanced the crowd grew larger, until it was far in excess of that of any other election of any kind in the political history of the city. Artists in The Journal office were kept bus writing the returns on the glass slide, and as they were thrown on the screen across across the street any favorable returns to Crittenden were cheered continuously until that particular slide was withdrawn. The artists also drew amusing cartoons of the principals in the great contest, and these, too, were wildly cheered by the crowd.

After the slides had been discontinued shortly after 11 o'clock, the crowd showed a tendency to disband, but just at that time other thousands arrived from somewhere about town with a brass band. This was the signal for a renewed demonstration, which lasted almost a half hour For a time it seemed that all the voters in the city had assembled at the corner of Eighth and McGee streets, but their celebration had scarcely been begun when another crowd hove in sight from East Eighth Street. This was the Sixth Ward Democratic nambeau crowd, its friends and sympathizers. This crowd numbered almost a thousand, and was also accompanied by a brass band. They formed a pretty sight as they marched down Eighth street with flambeaus waving and the noise of their cheering drowning all the music the band produced. When the two crowds came together in front of The Journal there was a demonstration that has been unequaled in Kansas City.

With hundreds of torches flaming and led by a brass band, thousands of Democrats escorted James A. Reed to a place in front of The Journal building at about midnight. Mr. Reed arose from his seat in an automobile and addressed the exultant crowd.

"I have asked you Democrats to follow me here so that I might express the sentiment of the Democratic party toward The Journal," said he. "The Kansas City Journal is a partisan newspaper, and like all partisan papers, it fights in the open, and is entitled to the respect of all decent men. We have come here to pay our deepest respect to a fair, honest and decent antagonist.

"While we do not always agree with some of the Republican causes which are espoused by our honorable partisan paper, The Kansas City Journal, we can not help admiring the open and honest way with which it deals with its antagonists. In fact, we admire and have great respect for a fair opponent."

"With Mr. Reed in the automobile were I. J. Ingraham and Linn Banks and a number of ladies.

Labels: , , , , , ,

April 7, 1908


Down-to-the-Minute Returns May
Be Seen at the Journal Building.

Beginning at 7 o'clock tonight, at which hour the polls will close, The Journal will bulletin the election returns at The Journal building, Eighth and McGee streets.

Arrangements have been made for the most complete returns possible and the telegraph and telephone will be used to keep the service right down to the minute. The returns will be bulletined without partisan bias or prejudice. They will be as nearly accurate as unofficial returns possibly can be.

Extra telephone operators will be at The Journal switchboards to accommodate the people who may not wish to stand in the street to read the bulletins. Call 4000 Main, either phone, for the latest on election night.

Labels: , , , , ,

March 15, 1908


New First Congregational Gives
Welcome to Strangers.
Dr. Alexander Lewis

"It is not right that we should become self-sufficient in our growh and numbers, consequently forgetting our duty to the stranger within our gates."

The Rev. Alexander Lewis spoke these words two weeks ago when the first services were held in the parish house of hte First Congregational church at Independence boulevard and Highland avenue. So doing, he silenced the criticism which of late has been the portion of churches; namely, that the stranger is not welcome.

Nor is there any reason why the congregation should not be proud of its new home Th main building is not yet completed and for several months services will be held in the parish house, which fronts Highland avenue. This wing seats 1,000, while the chruch proper will accommodate 500 more than this. West of the church the parsonage will be built. th entire propety will then represent an expenditure of nearly $165,000.

The New First Congregational Church
The parish house clearly indicates the purpose of the congreagation to make the in stitution a city and downtown church, rather than one which dreaws its embership from any one section of the city In the basement there is to be a small gymnasium for the use of boys and girls, with shower baths, lockers and a bowling alley. The complete plant will provide a large dining room, kitchen and all other conveniences of a large downtown church.

Dr. Lewis said recently, in speaking of the new institution and its plans:

"The neighborhood church cannot help but succeed, while the city church, such as the new First is to be, must force success. There is a place and work for one church of each denomination inthe heart of ansas City. The lesson of New York is repeated. One by one the downtown churches were abandoned, but a later reaction set in and large churchs are now maintained downtown."

For years the First Congregational had its edifice at Eleventh and McGee streets. That property was sold some time ago While the Highland avenue site seems some distance from downtown, it is only twelve minutes' walk or five minutes' ride from Grand avenue. It will not be many years before Highland avenue will be considered downtown. It is then that the big downtown church will be called upon to do its real work for the life of a great city.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

February 26, 1908


City Convention Is Called for Next
Friday Night.

The Socialists of Kansas City will hold a convention at their headquarters, 1400 Grand avenue, next Friday night and nominate a full ticket for the city election with the exception of ward aldermen.

Ex-Mayor John C. Chase of Haverhil, Mass., will lecture on socialism at the Academy of Music, 1223 McGee street, tonight at 8 o'clock. He is the only Socialist mayor ever elected in an American city and he will talk on municipal affairs from his own experience as mayor. During the past four weeks the Socialists of Kansas City have distributed 400,000 Socialist papers in the city in an effort to add strength to their ticket in the city election.

Labels: , , , ,

February 6, 1908



Is Himself Responsible for Her Con-
dition and the Drunker of the
Two -- Won't Stop Drink-
ing, He Says.

Jsut at 9 o'clock last night a heavy-set, well dressed man, with dark complexion, black hair and brown eyes, weaved his uncertain way into police headquarters and asked where he could "get an officer right away." The man was plainly drunk.

He was referred to Lieutenant James Morris to whom, in broken sentences, he told this story: "I want my wife arrested. She drinks and I can't stop her. I want to have her locked up in here for the night and fined in police court in the morning. I will see that her fine is paid. I think it will do her good." Just then the man staggered back a few steps, hiccoughed, grinned and said: "What d'ye think of it?"

"Where is your wife?" asked Lieutenant Morris.

"In a hack outside," the man replied. "Oh, you can get her all right, all right. Y' see, I want to break her of drinking, see?"

When Patrolman Rogers was sent out to the hack to bring in the woman the husband hid in a side room, saying in an undertone, "I don't want her to know that I had anything to do with this, see?"

Rogers had to return for help and he and Jailer Phil Welsh took the woman before the sergeant's desk to be booked. She was a slender little creature, fair complexion, with wavy light brown hair which had become unfastened and hung loosely around her shoulders. She was pretty and was attired in the latest fashion. A friend of the complaining husband carried a large picture hat which had fallen off in the hack.

"Shall we place her in the matron's room for safe keeping or put her in jail with a charge against her?" asked Lieutenant Morris of the husband.

"Put a charge against her," he replied brokenly. "Y'see I want to break her. See."

The little woman told her name, giving the same name and initials as the complainant. She was then led down the long iron steps to the women's quarters. Not until the cell door was opened with a bang did she realize what was happening. Then she struggled weakly for a moment. In turning she saw her husband. Raising her hands in the attitude of prayer, she begged him, calling him by his first name, not to have her locked up. In his condition, however, the husband was obdurate. He was even stern.

"Do your duty, offishur," he said, trying to look dignified.

Lieutenant Morris booked the woman only as a "safe keeper," however.

The hack driver who took the people to the police headquarters said he got them at a cafe at Eighth and Central streets. Then the man wanted to go to a hotel, but when one was reached he changed his mind; he asked to be driven to "a good saloon." They were taken to a place on Grand avenue where both drank. After that he asked to be taken to the Memphis hotel, Tenth and McGee sterets, but when the cab reached there the man had again changed his mind and asked to be driven to police headquarters. That was done.

"They were quarreling all the way," said the hack driver. "I objected to taking the woman to the station for he was as drunk as she, but he was paying the bills and he had his way."

The name the man gave is not in the city directory, but it is said he is an insurance agent.

Labels: , , , ,

February 4, 1908


Precedent in City Council Cannot Be
Violated to Oblige It.

Because the council did not want to violate a precedent the Ginger Club will have to wait another week before the authority is given to suspend across each end of their block electric signs between Oak and McGee on Twelfth having on them the potent number "300."

Labels: , , , ,

January 25, 1908


Ginger Club Gives Citizens a Chance
to Find Money.

An order for $10 and two others for $5 each will be among the 2,000 slips of paper to be hidden in every available place no Twelfth street from McGee to Oak today by the Ginger Club, and improvement association. The orders when presented to members of the association named on the slip will be paid in gold. The hunt for the pieces of paper, which is open to everybody, will begin at 1 o'clock.

The Ginger Club is taking this novel means to advertise the "300" block on East Twelfth street, which is being improved by the club, Ginger snaps and coffee will be served to the participants in the hunt.

Labels: , , , ,

January 22, 1908


Joyful Bowwows When Officer
Entered the Home.

Nakomis is a dog, he is a beautiful Scotch Collie with almost human intelligence, consequently he gets very lonesome when left by himself. He lives at 1721 McGee street with Robert Stoll and his wife. When it happens that both Stoll and his wife are away from home, a little girl who lives next door keeps Nakomis company in her home.

Yesterday morning Mrs. Stoll left her home to go shopping. Forgetting that the dog was in the house, she locked the doors and went on her way. Soon Nakomis had a strong desire for caresses and scampered about the house to find his mistress. No one answered to his pleading barks and no human was in the house. The feeling of lonesomeness began to grow upon him.

Now, as has been said, Nakomis is a dog of almost human intelligence. He had been taught to bark through the telephone to his master at his place of business. Thought he had been taught to talk through the instrument, no one had shown him how to take the receiver off the hook. This did not long disturb him, however, and he soon knocked the receiver down with his paws, barking all the while.

"Number, please. What number," called the gentle voice of the operator over the wire. "Hello-hello."

But no answer came back to her, save the barking of a dog. Believing that something was wrong in the house, the operator called up the Walnut street police station and told the officers that there was trouble of some kind at 1721 McGee street, it was murder from the way it sounded. Officer Robert Dunlop was detailed to see what the matter was at that address. When he neared the house he, too, heard the loud barking on the inside.

Drawing his revolver he forced his way into the house and was greeted with joyful barks and playful leaps from Nakomis. He had someone to play with at last. The officer went to the phone and found the instrument lying upon the floor.

Labels: , , ,

January 17, 1907


Endangers Lives as It Swings in
Street at Eighth and McGee.

Fast running under a circuit breaker caused a break in the trolley wire at Eighth and McGee streets last night. This was followed by a brilliant electrical display as the fallen wire touched the trucks, and a heavy roar which almost deafened those who were passing in the street at that time.

A policeman who was walking on Grand avenue near Ninth street hurried in the direction of the flashes, thinking that a bomb had been thrown at the post office building. Persons as far away as Eighth and Campbell streets saw the electrical display and heard the reports which the wire made as it swung back and forth over the tracks. Persons walking on Eighth street near the break at the time flagged the cars, and also passersby who started to walk across the street.

The wire was broken by the trolley pole of an eastbound Independence avenue car, which passed under the circuit breaker so rapidly that it jerked the wire from its hangings. The car passed on with undiminished speed, the crew not seeming to realize that a death-trap had been left behind unguarded. A Metropolitan division superintendent was summoned and soon captured the live wire, allowing the blockaded cars to drift under the gap and continue on their way.

Labels: , , , , , ,

January 15, 1908


Merchants on Twelfth Street Have
Novel Advertising Scheme.

Merchants in the "300" block between Oak and McGee streets on Twelfth street, have a unique advertising scheme. They have organized what they call the Ginger Club, with a ginger snap for an emblem. Its significance is: snappy merchants with plenty of ginger in them.

At a meeting yesterday $500 was raised in order to boost their block. It is their purpose to erect a large electric sign at both entrances, bearing the number "300" in figures seven or eight feet high. Five arc lights will be secured and hung along the block on both sides of the street.

The merchants will employ a man, whom they will dress in a white suit and cap, to keep the street between Oak and McGee streets clean. This man will be kept at work every day of the week except Sunday.

Saturday afternoon at 3 o'clock beginning a week from Saturday, the members of the club will have 2,000 coupons distributed among people on the streets. One of these coupons will be worth $10 in trade, and two will be worth $5.

The officers of the Ginger Club are: E. J. Richards, chairman, Charles I. Lorber, secretary, and I. V. Hucke, treasurer. The club will hold weekly meetings.

Labels: , , , ,

January 12, 1908


South Side Citizens Meet and Draw
Up Fighting Resolutions.

About forty men, residents in the vicinity of Gillham road, met at the Church of United Brethren, Fourtieth and Harrison streets, last night to protest against the action of the park board in ordering an appropriation of part of that boulevard for the proposed speedway. The meeting was called by Benjaman H. Berkshire, 4018 Harrison street, and J. V. Kendall, Twenty-fifth street and Troost avenue.

A motion was made that those present should resort to every effort to prevent what they thought was the ruin of their roadway, and that every man pledge himself to assist in a financial way if it became necessary for them to resort to the courts. When this motion was put, F. J. Chase, 4100 McGee street, who was chairman of the meeting, asked all those who were in favor of it, to stand. Only four remained seated. The motion was announced, carried and those who voted for it put their signatures to the resolution. This resolution was adopted:

Whereas, The Kansas City park board has assumed to set apart a certain
portion of Gillham road for a speedway in defiance of the purposes for which
that roadway was condemned and paid for, and

Whereas, the use of any portion of this parkway for a speedway will be
detrimental to the interests of those whop were assessed for payment of said
parkway, making it dangerous to life and limb and turning that which was
intended for quite enjoyment of the citizens, over to an entirely different
purpose, to the great discomfort of those living in that vicinity, and to the
depreciation of property values,

Therefore be it
Resolved, That we property owners and residents in the district bounded by
Thirty-ninth street on the north, Brush creek on the south, Troost avenue on the
east and Main street on the west, in mass meeting assembled, do respectfully
protest against the appropriation of any portion of Gillham road parkway for
purposes of speedway or for any other use foreign to the purposes for which the
said roadway was condemned, and ask that your board reconsider your recent
action, and withdraw your consent to such use of any portion of said

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

August 15, 1907


Park Policeman Ejected From Room-
ing House Uses His Pistol.

C. A. Roth, who claims to be both a park policeman and a deputy marshall, was arrested at midnight last night by Patrolmen O'Malley and Downey at Twelfth and McGee streets, after he had been pointed out to them by a crowd as the man who had been shooting a revolver in the street a few minutes before. Roth admitted that he had been shooting in the street, but said he had to do it in self-defense, as he has been driven out of a disorderly house at 1203 McGee street and a crowd of men had gathered around and threatened to do him bodily harm.

A special police star, his revolver, shells for the weapon, and a half empty flask of liquor which looked like whisky was found in the prisoner's clothes by the police. He was locked up at No. 4 police station on an "investigation charge."

Labels: , , ,

July 25, 1907



P. H. Harlan, Disgusted With Com-
panion's Action, Says He is Going
to Keep Up Abstinence From
Food -- Eating Only a
Habit, He Says.

Clarence Hogan, who conceived the idea of fasting for two weeks in order to reduce his girth and at the same time to improve his health, yesterday fell because he looked too long through a baker's window at some delicately browned doughnuts.

Hogan, who is the manager of the Crescent Automobile Company, immediately sought out his favorite restaurant, near Fifteenth street and Grand avenue, and ordered milk and doughnuts.

"I thought about it a long time," said Hogan. "I hated to break my compact with P. H. Harlan, who is also fasting, because I told him what a great idea it was, and I sat and looked at the doughnuts a long time before I ate them. But then I decided I was not really breaking my compact, because doughnuts can hardly be called actual food, anyway, and I decided to eat them.

"Well, after that there was nothing to it. I left the restaurant, and walked up the street toward my shop. I had not been hungry for several days; but now I was ravenous. The bill boards began to look good to eat, and I think that if I had been able to walk clear to my automobile shop at Fifteenth and McGee streets, I would certainly have eaten the tires off one of the machines. It was all over. I couldn't stand it.

"When I went back to the restaurant I immediately ordered ham and eggs, a steak, cantaloupe, and all the vegetables on the menu. The water' eyes stood out when he heard my order, but I was hungry and didn't care.

"No, I didn't mind it at all when I was actually fasting," concluded Hogan. "It was only after eating the doughnuts that I got hungry. I think fasting is a good idea, and I may try it again. But not right away."

Harlan of the Duffy Undertaking Company was very much disgusted at Hogan's fall from grace.

"Huh!" said Harlan. "I understand he's eating regular now. No, of course it wasn't necessary for him to eat He simply didn't discipline his appetite. He's intemperate as far as food's concerned, that's all. Personally, I am going to fast until I reduce my weight to the 200-pound mark. There's no use in a man my size eating after he has got out of the habit. For eating is all a habit, after a man has so much surplus flesh. I am going to keep u the fast."

Harlan has now succeeded in reducing his weight from 275 pounds to 240. Hogan managed to get down from 227 pounds to 201.

"And that's enough," says Hogan.

Hogan and Harlan began the fast July 16.

Labels: , , , ,

July 10, 1907


Robert T. Swofford has leased two lots at the northwest corner of Admiral boulevard and McGee street from Mrs. Mary E. Andrews for ninety-nine years at $1,000 a year. The property fronts 95 feet on McGee and 125 on Admiral. Mr. Swofford has no plans for immediate use of the lots.

Labels: , ,

July 2, 1907



Juveniles Play "Big" Until Judge
McCune Comes, and Then Young-
ster in Chair Goes to
Reform School.

"This court will now behave!" said Joe Tint, and incorrigible 12-year-old of 1902 McGee street, as he called a kangaroo court to order in the witness room of the juvenile court yesterday morning. There was half an hour to spare before Judge H. L. McCune was to arrive, and the children, whose cases were set for yesterday, all got a sentence from Joe in that half hour.

"Who are these people?" Joe asked, pointing to three boys sitting disconsolately in a corner. "These people" were Ralph, Orpha and Leota Hill, waifs found recently alone in a house at 2101 Vine street.

"They are the Hillocks," suggested one.

"Naw, theys just foothills," said Joe. "Foothills, stand up! I sentence each of you to a square meal. Draw on 'Doc' Mathias for the grub."

"What are you in here for?" Joe asked of Joe Shaeffer.

"He stole $1.04 from a man," said Carl Robinson, who thereby appointed himself prosecuting attorney.

"Did the man have any more money? asked Joe.

"Yes, I guess so," the prisoner said.

"Ninety-nine years for you. Why didn't you get all of it?"

"What's that under that straw stack there in the corner?" the court inquired. Oh, it's a negro, is it? Well, take off your hat. You stole a dollar and spent it for fireworks, I believe. You ain't old enough to burn money. Four years for you."

Just then the real court convened and Kangaroo Judge Joe was called.

Joe has been in and out of juvenile court for four years and was sentenced to the reform school in May, 1903. He was paroled in April, 1904. he was before the court for quitting thirteen jobs which had been found for him.

"I'm sorry to have to sentence you, Joe," Judge McCune said to Joe, "but you'll have to back to the reform school for four years.

Labels: , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory