Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

February 1, 1910


Two Democrats Vote With Repub-
licans and Kill It.

Two Democratic aldermen, W. C. Culbertson and Isaac Taylor, voted with the Republicans in the upper house of the council last night and defeated an ordinance providing for separate street car seats for negroes.

Mr. Culbertson's reasons for voting against the ordinance were that he feared it to be a trouble maker, and that it was not sufficiently explicit as to how the negroes were to be separated from the whites when the cars and platforms were crowded. Mr. Taylor gave a like reason.

Here is the vote:

For the ordinance -- Steele, Wirthman, Titsworth, O'Malley, Logan, Gregory; total, 6, all Democrats.

Against the ordinance -- Edwards, Havens, Tillhof, Bunker, Republicans; Taylor, Culbertson, Democrats; total, 6.

Absent -- Cronin, Democrat; Thompson, Republican.

Eight votes were necessary to carry the ordinance.

Before the session opened Alderman James Pendergast came over from the lower house and loudly proclaimed opposition to the ordinance. He said that it could not be enforced, that it would be declared unconstitutional and under his breath he told Democrats it would be a bad move politically.

Labels: , , , ,

February 1, 1910


Letter to Council Suggests Opening
Afternoons and Evenings.

An anonymous communication was read in the lower house of the council last night, asking that some one introduce an ordinance requiring the public library to pen from 2 to 10 o'clock p. m. on all holidays.

"Many men have no place to on on such days," said the letter, "and with the library closed they drift into the pool halls and saloons and come under evil influences. The library should be kept open part of the day for them."

The attaches of the library work from 9 o'clock a. m., to 10 p. m. every day and holidays are the only days they have for recreation. The letter was referred to the board of education, as that body controls the opening and closing hours of the library.

Labels: , , , ,

January 31, 1910


Alderman J. E. Logan, Au-
thor of Measure, Disclaims
Any Political Motive.

The council is expected to take action tonight on the ordinance requiring the Metropolitan Street Railway Company to furnish separate cars for negroes, or if permitted to ride with white passengers, to designate certain seats for them. As the measure is championed by Democratic aldermen there is every probability that Republican members will permit them to do all the voting in favor of the passage of the ordinance. This is the sentiment in the upper house, but not altogether in the lower house, for if Alderman Frank Askew, a Republican, has not changed his mind he will second a motion to be made by Alderman Miles Bulger, a Democrat, that the ordinance be passed under suspension of the rules.

This will call for ten affirmative votes, and if they are not forthcoming the ordinance will have to go to a committee.

All of these possibilities depends of course on the action of the upper house. A special committee headed by R. L. Gregory, president of that branch of the council, will recommend the passage of the ordinance and this can be done with eight affirmative votes. There are nine Democratic aldermen in the upper house, and the tip has gone out that they have been lined up to vote for the ordinance. Some of the Democrats were hesitating on the propriety of passing the ordinance on account of "political policy," but it is now stated that they have been induced to see it differently.

In political circles the cry has been set up that the ordinance has been introduced at this time to cripple the candidacy of a Republican alderman, who is seeking the nomination for mayor, and who will be called upon to cast his vote either for its passage or defeat. Alderman J. E. Logan, a Democrat, who fathers the ordinance, denies this allegation.

"There is no politics or racial question involved in the ordinance," said Alderman Logan yesterday. "Similar laws are in effect in other cities where there are large negro populations, and they are entirely satisfactory to both races."

Labels: , , , ,

January 25, 1910



Success in Southern Cities
and Negroes Approve,
Mr. Logan Said.

When an ordinance was introduced in the upper house of the council last night by Alderman J. E. Logan, making it obligatory on the Metropolitan Street Railway Company to operate cars for negro passengers, or to designate a part of the car for their use if they are to be carried with whites, there was a perceptible dodging of the aldermen to assume responsibility for having a hand in the legislation.

"I'd like to have the ordinance go to the streets, alleys and grades committee," proposed Alderman Logan.

"The streets, alleys and grades committee has all it can attend to now," replied Alderman Wirthman.

"Public improvements committee," suggested somebody.

"That's no place for such an ordinance," pleaded Alderman Baylis Steele. "It should go to the sanitary committee."


"The judiciary committee should pass on it," recommended Alderman W. C. Culbertson.

"Alderman Logan is chairman of that committee and he doesn't want it," volunteered Alderman W. A. Bunker.

The dodging began to get livelier.

"How would you like to have me appointed to a special committee, Alderman Logan?" interrogated President R. L. Gregory.

"That would suit me."

"Would you ask that I be put in the committee?"

"Yes, sir."

Gregory took an inventory of the aldermen.

"How do you stand on this proposition?" Gregory asked of Culbertson.

"As I have said before, it looks like a trouble-maker, but," Culbertson was saying when Gregory interrupted.


"You have killed yourself," he said, "and I appoint Alderman Thompson, Republican, and Alderman O'Malley, Democrat, and myself on that committee. I'm for the ordinance heart and soul. I think negroes and whites riding on street cars should be separated."

"I'd like to be excused from serving on the committee. I surrender to Alderman Logan," said Alderman Thompson.

"You don't want to serve?"

"No, sir."

"Well, I would like to have a Republican on the committee. How about you, Alderman Bunker?"

"I'm much obliged, but you'll have to excuse me," spoke up Bunker.

"How about you Alderman Tilhoff?"

"What is it you want to know?" innocently asked the alderman.

"We are going to put the negro where he belongs," answered Gregory.


"No, I do not wish to serve on the committee," promptly interposed Tillhoff.

"I'll put you on the committee, alderman," addressed Gregory to Alderman Logan. "I had hopes that we should make the committee non-partisan, but I can't get a Republican to serve, so, therefore, I'll draft Alderman Thompson on the committee." Thompson smiled, and did not object to being drafted.

The ordinance was drafted by Walter M. Lampkin, an associate city counselor. He explained its provisions, providing for separate cars for negroes, designation for them in the car if they ride with whites and placing authority in the conductor to seat passengers to fit conditions.

"Suppose passengers will have to stand. How about that?" asked Alderman Culbertson.


"That won't happen. We're going to have more cars," replied Counselor Lampkin.

"What's a passenger to do that wants to go forward to the lobby to smoke?"

"I had expected such questions, but I am not prepared to answer them."

"Have you prepared separate straps for negroes and whites?"

Lampkin appeared confused, and Alderman Logan came to his rescue.

"This is no joking matter," said Logan. "No political or racial prejudices should obtain. It is simply intended to facilitate the convenience and comfort of travel in the street cars. It is a success in Atlanta, Birmingham, Jacksonville, Mobile and other Southern cities. Whites as well as negroes vote it a welcome convenience, and if the ordinance is enforced negroes will be grateful recipients.


"The purport of the ordinance is the greatest good to the greatest numbers. they have no such law in Northern cities as they they have not the preponderance of negro population that Kansas City has."

Alderman Isaac Taylor asked Counselor Lampkin if the city had a legal right to pass such an ordinance when there is no similar law in force in the state.

Mr. Lampkin answered that his first impression was that the city did not have the right, but upon consulting authorities he found that the city, under the laws of police powers, has the right. He cited the Florida supreme court as giving the cities of that state the authority, under police powers, to enact laws similar to the one proposed for Kansas City, and said that the supreme court of Massachusetts had ruled that school directors could segregate white and negro children attending public schools.

"I can see where good results would obtain by the enforcement of such an ordinance, but it looks like a trouble breeder to me," observed Alderman Culbertson.


The ordinance is patterned after the law in force in Southern cities, and provides a fine of $25 for a person refusing to take a seat assigned him by the conductor or after refusal to leave the car for non-compliance of the rule. The company is subject to a fine of $500 if it fails to operate the separate cars, or comply with the required designation.

Should the ordinance become a law the New Orleans plan will be followed. The conductor will designate the seats in accordance with the prevailing conditions. It is proposed to have negroes occupy the front part of the car. Seats for their use will be appropriate labeled, and they must occupy no others. When their allotment of seats becomes filled, and standing in the aisles is necessary, they must keep within the limits of these seats. They must not seat themselves in seats reserved for whites, and any violation of this rule will necessitate the immediate retirement of the offender from the car or his arrest and punishment by a fine of $25 in the municipal court. The same rule applies to whites occupying reservations for negroes.

Labels: , , , , ,

December 4, 1909


New Ordinance Will Be Passed Mon-
day by Council.

Evidently the public is not interested in the proposed ordinance for the regulation of the installation of plumbing and steam heating in homes and buildings, for there was no response yesterday to the call from the upper house of the council committee for the expressions. The ordinance will be reported out favorably, and passed at next Monday night's meeting of the council.

The ordinance provides that the installation of plumbing and steam heating must be performed by men adept in their respective trades, that they must hear the endorsement of a board of examiners to be appointed by the city as to their capabilities and that these examinations shall be held as often as once a year.

Labels: ,

November 11, 1909



"It's a Cinch We All Have a Right
to Duck If Alderman From the
First Has," Vociferated
Miles Bulger.

After the council had been in special session about 25 minutes last night, Alderman James Pendergast of the First ward asked to be excused. His request was granted.

For several months Alderman Pendergast has not been well and his physician advised him to remain out as little as possible at night. The alderman always attends the meetings of the council to see if there is a quorum present. If his vote is needed he remains, otherwise he asks to be excused.

"I move the house adjourn," cried Alderman Miles E. Bulger of the Fourth ward, jumping to his feet. "Then we may all be excused. The alderman from the First comes down here at every meeting, remains about fifteen minutes and then ducks. I think he should stick here and work like the rest of us. I move we adjourn, I say."

"Are you serious about that motion?" asked Speaker Frank Shinnick.

"Sure," replied Bulger. "It's a cinch we all have the right to duck if the alderman from the First has. I insist on the motion.

The motion was put and carried, 7 to 3, four members then being absent. Alderman Shinnick, Brown and Askew voted against adjournment. With the budget full and important work on hand the aldermen of the lower house left just as the sergeant-at-arms, James Bermingham, entered with ordinances and communications from the upper house.

Last Monday night when there was a prize fight at the Hippodrome and much work on hand, Alderman Bulger moved an adjournment after the lower house had been in session less than half an hour. It carried. The special meeting last night partly was to catch up for lost time made in going to the prize fight.

It may take another special meeting at the expense of the city to clean up the budget.

Labels: , ,

October 7, 1909


At 9 o'Clock This Morning Public
Will Be Admitted to Rotunda of
Library to Pay Last Tribute.

The body of Colonel Thomas H. Swope, Kansas City's great public benefactor, now lies in state in the rotunda of the public library building, Ninth and Locust streets. The body rests in a massive state casket with deep scroll mountings. The casket, copper lined, is made of the finest mahogany, covered with black cloth. Solid silver handles extend the full length on each side.

At 9'o'clock this morning the public will be admitted and given an opportunity to look for the last time upon the face of Kansas City's most beloved citizen. Last night the body was guarded by a cordon of police commanded by Sergeants T. S. Eubanks and John Ravenscamp. They will be relieved this morning by others. The police will be on guard until the funeral.

At 3 o'clock yesterday afternoon Mayor Crittenden accompanied by Police Commissioner R. B. Middlebrook and Aldermen O'Malley, Edwards and Wirtman from the upper house and Aldermen Morris and Gilman from the lower house of the council, went to Independence to receive Colonel Swope's body.

It was 4:10 o'clock when Mayor Llewellyn Jones of Independence, accompanied by the city council of that city, made formal delivery of the body. It was carried to the waiting hearse, by G. D. Clinton, J. Wesley Clement, H. A. Major, A. L. Anderson, J. G. Paxon and M. L. Jones, all citizens of Independence.

Ten mounted policemen, commanded by Sergent Estes of the mounted force, acted as convoy to this city. It was at first planned that the Independence officials should accompany the body as far only as their city limits. However, they came to this city and saw the casket placed in state in the library. Those who came from Independence were Mayor Jones and Aldermen E. C. Harrington, J. Wesley Clement. H. A. Major, M. L. Jones, A. L. Anderson and Walter Shimfessel.

Upon arriving at the public library six stalwart policemen removed the casket from the hearse and placed it on pedestals in the rotunda. After giving instructions to the police on guard, Mayor Crittenden and Commissioner Middlebrook left with the members of the council.

Only one relative from out of the city, Stuart S. Fleming of Columbia, Tenn., is at the Swope home in Independence. He arrived yesterday. Colonel Swope was his uncle. Last Friday night, James Moss Hunton, Mr. Fleming's cousin, died at the Swope home. A few hours after he received notice of his death, Mr. Fleming's wife passed away. Sunday night he received notice that his uncle, Colonel Swope, was dead.

"My mother, Colonel Swope's sister, is 77 years old," said Mr. Fleming yesterday. "She is prostrated and was unable to accompany me."

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

October 6, 1909



Body to Rest Temporarily in Vault.
Later Suitable Monument Is
to Be Erected Over

The body of the late Thomas H. Swope will be brought from Independence at 5 o'clock tonight and lie in state in the Library building, Ninth and Locust, from 9 a. m. Thursday to noon of Friday.

Funeral at 3:30 o'clock Friday afternoon from Grace Episcopal church. Body will rest temporarily in a vault at Forest Hill cemetery.

The body of Colonel Thomas H. Swope is to rest temporarily in a vault at Forest Hill cemetery to await arrangements to be perfected by Kansas City for a final resting place in Swope park.

A monument appropriate to the man who while in life was the city's greatest benefactor and the poor man's friend is to be erected over the grave, and the design in all probability will be a statue. A mask of Colonel Swope's features will be taken at Independence this morning and kept in reserve.

Colonel Swope is to be given a public funeral at 2:30 Friday afternoon, in which the militia, civic and commercial organizations of the city , the governor of the state of Missouri and other distinguished citizens will take part. The tribute from the city will be as free from ostentation as the occasion will permit. There will be no extravagant floral displays, nor flights of oratory. There are to be but two floral offerings at the bier. One will be a blanket of roses for the casket from the family, and the other a broken shaft of choice exotics from the city. It was the colonel's request that there be no lavish display of flowers.


The simple and beautiful burial services of the Episcopal church will be read by Bishop E. R. Atwill at Grace Episcopal church, Thirteenth street, between Broadway and Washington, and the choir will render appropriate music. In arranging the official programme yesterday, the committees representing the city did not fully complete the details for having the children of the public and private schools participate in the exercises. John W. Wagner, who, with Alderman Emmett O'Malley, has in charge the completion of added details, said last night that he will endeavor to have several thousand school children lined along the sidewalks on Eleventh street, west of Wyandotte, and south on Broadway to Thirteenth street, as the funeral pageant moves to the church. The children will probably sing "Nearer My God to Thee." The participation in the services of school children was suggested to Mr. Wagner by S. W. Spangler, business manager for Colonel Swope.

"School children used to come to the colonel's office by hundreds to look at the man who had given Swope park to the city," was Mr. Spangler's explanation.

The body of Colonel Swope will be escorted from Independence by Mayor Crittenden, Aldermen O'Malley, Wirthman and Edwards, of the upper house; Aldermen Morris, Gilman and Wofford of the lower house, and a detail of mounted police. From 9 a. m. Thursday to noon of Friday the body will lie in state at the library, guarded by a detachment of police and state militiamen. Entrance to the building will be by Ninth street and egress by Locust street.


The funeral cortege will move from the library building at 2 o'clock Friday afternoon in the following order:

Mounted Police.
Third Regiment Band.
Battery B.
Police on Foot.
Fire Department Detail on Foot.
Civic and Commercial Organizations.
City Officials in Carriages.
Honorary Pallbearers.
Active Pallbearers.
Family in Carriages.
Citizens in Carriages.


There is to be a special meeting of the board of education this morning to consider the suggestion that the pupils of the public schools participate in the funeral of Colonel Swope, and to plan arrangements for having the body lie in state at the library.

Last night Mayor Crittenden and John W. Wagner conferred with J. Crawford James, chairman of the board, on the propriety of the pupils being stationed at a point along the funeral march. Mr. James took kindly to the suggestion, and will present it to the board.

Contrary to general belief, Thomas H. Swope did not gain the title of "Colonel" in warfare. A newspaper during an exciting campaign of civic improvement used the title, which did not have the entire sanction of Mr. Swope.

"Now I will have to go through life with the unearned title of colonel," he complained one day to Kelly Brent.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

October 5, 1909



Swope Park, Philanthropist's Most
Enduring Monument, Discussed
by Park Board as Last
Resting Place.

That a memorial service in honor of the late Colonel Thomas H. Swope will be held in Convention hall, and that his body will rest in Swope park, his most enduring monument, seems probable in view of a message sent to the council last night by Mayor Crittenden, at an informal conference of the park board yesterday.

The appropriateness of having the body of Colonel Swope buried in Swope park, and a monument to his memory erected there, was informally discussed at the meeting of the park board.

"I was talking with Judge C. O. Tichenor today," said D. J. Haff, and he expressed the opinion that if the body of Colonel Swope found its final resting place in Swope park it would be carrying out his wishes.

Judge Tichenor spoke to the colonel about it once, and he seemed pleased with the idea but said he would not discuss it.

The board was formally apprised of the death of Colonel Swope by Mr. Haff. He referred to the philanthropist as the greatest benefactor the city ever had. Mr. Haff said the gift of Swope park was of incalculable advantage to the entire park movement and that it had inspired the development of the park and boulevard system.

The two houses of the city council adopted a resolution expressing the grief and the appreciation of the council and the people of Kansas City over the death of Colonel Swope. Aldermen O'Malley, Wirthman and Edwards were appointed a committe from the upper house, and Aldermen Morris, Gilman and Wofford from the lower house to make arrangements for the funeral of Colonel Swope. The committee meets at 10 o'clock th is morning in the offices of the Fidelity building.

Mayor Crittenden, A. J. Dean, president of the park board, and Kelly Brent of the fire and water board go to Independence this morning to formally offer to the bereaved family the city's regrets.

The arrangements for the funeral also will be discussed.

"Colonel Swope should be buried in Kansas City and should be given a public funeral," said the mayor last night.

Labels: , , , , , ,

September 4, 1909


Mayor Crittenden Will Suggest That
Council Adopt Resolutions and
City Officials Attend Funeral.

"The city hall flag will be placed at half mast in honor of Colonel Thomas H. Swope and as a work of respect to the memory of the man who did so much in a substantial way for Kansas City," said Mayor Crittenden last night.

"A message from me will go to the council Monday night recommending that befitting resolutions and expressions of the city's regrets of the death of Colonel Swope be adopted and that the mayor, all city officials and the two houses of the council attend the funeral in a body.

"Colonel Swope was the greatest benefactor Kansas City ever had, and the extent of his gifts is evidenced by the beautiful park of 1,354 acres and the five acres on which the new General hospital stands. I will not speak of his private bequests for they were many and in most commendable causes.

"He was a man of great business ability, and not much given to ostentation. He had but very few intimates, but a host of friends and acquaintances who will remember him long for his many splendid services to them. Colonel Swope had his peculiarities, but his heart was in the right place."

Labels: , ,

August 20, 1909


Alderman Lapp Bears a Message to
Mayor From Constituents.

"The people out my way in the Seventh ward are demanding two more weeks of music in the parks," said Alderman J. G. Lapp to Mayor Crittenden yesterday.

"And I am happily in accord with the people not only of the Seventh ward, but in every ward of the city on the band proposition," replied the mayor, "but it is a question of finances. I am not fishing for a deficit in the treasury, and I know the good people of the city are of a like opinion. If I could have my way about it $10,000 would be appropriated ever year for music in the parks, but there are so many things that the city must look after we have to nurse and be careful of the revenues.

"I'm sure if you would use your influence with Gus Pearson, city comptroller, he would dig up the money from somewhere. Two more weeks of band music would cost only $1,026," urged Lapp.

"All right," promised the mayor, "I will see what I can do with the comptroller in the morning. I'm for music in the parks so long as the weather will permit."

Labels: , , , ,

August 10, 1909


Council Passes Ordinance Favored
by Mayor in Special Message.

In order to allow members of the trade unions to have the full benefit of "spending money" on Labor Day, Mayor Crittenden last night sent a special message to the council favoring the passage of an ordinance to bar circuses from Kansas City on that day, it transpiring that shows have made it a practice to map out their routes as to be here on general holidays, especially Labor Day. A complaint had been made by the ways and means committee that circuses were taking about $25,000 out of the city each Labor Day.

Labels: , , ,

July 23, 1909


Two of Carlos IV Design Owned
by City Employes.

There are two men in the city clerk's office, William Scoville, sergeant-at-arms of the lower house, and Ethelbert Allen, a deputy city clerk, each with a Spanish coin of the eighteenth century design and one of them coined during the reign of Carlos IV.

Scoville turned up with his doubloon or whatever it is about the size of a silver dollar, two days ago, having bought it from a tramp. Allen, on looking at it, dug up its mate, which he had owned for five years, but which had been in his family since his grandfather's youth, early in the last century.

The coins were alike generally, but different in detail. Allen's heirloom has on it "Carlos IV," while Scoville's coin has on it "Carolus IIII," like the numeral on a watch handle. Allen's coin is dated 1790 and Scoville's 1907.

Allen's rings like silver, and Scoville's like a piece of hard putty. This peculiarity may be explained by the small Chinese characters stamped upon the Scoville coin. Chinese like Western silver money. At present they use Mexican coins. In earlier times they used Spanish dollars.

Anything that looked like money was money. So the Spanish "dollars" of the Scoville type were coined by the ton, of pure pewter, and passed current in China. To prove them genuine, the Chinese put their own stamps on them.

Collectors regard these "phoney" coins as more valuable than the real article.

Labels: ,

July 20, 1909


Mayor Would Vest in It Complete
Control of the Workhouse.

Accompanied by a special message, Mayor Crittenden last night had an ordinance sent to the upper house of the council to enlarge the powers of the board of pardons and paroles so as to give it almost complete control of the workhouse, and full control so far as rules of government and their enforcement go. In his message the mayor says "the honesty or efficiency of the superintendent of the workhouse has never been questioned by me, but should an investigation made by the pardon board under their power, as enlarged by this proposed ordinance, prove that he has been faithless, then he, as well as any of his subordinates who are shown to be unworthy, can no longer continue in the city employ."

The ordinance was passed by the upper house unanimously, but referred to the workhouse committee by the lower house, the Republicans voting against the reference. It would permit the pardons board to make all the rules for the management of the workhouse, enforce their observance, try the superintendent or any other workhouse officer for cause. The ordinance would also allow the board to find officials or officers guilty of the evidence should warrant, recommend the dismissal of the offender, which recommendation the mayor is to be bound to act upon.

The ordinance grows out of the recent police developments.


President William Volker of the board of pardons and paroles announced yesterday that the investigation which that board is to conduct into affairs at the workhouse will begin at 9 o'clock

Labels: , , ,

June 2, 1909


Mayor Crittenden Learns of Late
Ex-Governor's Daily Reading.

While Mayor Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., was yesterday cleaning up the desk used by his father, the late T. T. Crittenden, in his law offices he found a Bible with thumb worn leaves and many pencil marked passages.

"That was your father's Bible," said the former governor's stenographer, "and the very first thing he did on arriving at his office in the morning was to read a passage from it. No mater how urgent the business awaiting hi m, he would cast it aside until after the Bible reading."

The mayor last night sent the following communication to both houses of the council:

"Having passed through the most painful ordeal of my life -- the loss of my beloved father -- I hasten to convey to you and to the various departments of the government my gratitude for your kind words and beautiful expressions of sympathy. It was a great comfort to my mother and brother during our hours of darkness.

"I ask all of you to accept my abiding appreciation."

Labels: , ,

June 1, 1909



Rev. Thomas P. Haley Pronounces
Fitting Eulogy in Presence of
Relatives and Friends
of Many Years.

While respecting in every way the wish of the late Thomas T. Crittenden that his funeral be conducted with as little ostentation as possible, hundreds of former governor's friends, men and women, stood under the trees on the lawn at the residence, 3320 Flora avenue, yesterday afternoon within the sound of the voice of the Rev. Dr. Thomas P. Haley, who with the assistance of Rev. Burris A. Jenkins and the Rev. Dr. S. M. Neel, conducted the simple service for the dead.

Governor Crittenden had left a letter addressed to Dr. Haley asking that he officiate at his funeral. The letter was sealed in 1906.

"I count it one of the choicest blessings of my life to have known and loved Thomas T. Crittenden," said Dr. Haley. "He was a man of great heart, noble mind and character, whom none could know but to love and admire.

"Everyone who knew him was his friend. He had close friends far away as well as near, but among those who most revered him, which is an indication of the kind of man he was, are his neighbors, those with whom he came in contact in his everyday life. Every child in the neighborhood knew him and loved him.


"He was ever willing to recognize his fellows as men, no matter what their station in life might have been. He was as careful to be considerate to the hod-carrier as he was to the banker.

"He would treat the washerwoman with as much consideration as the finest lady."

In finishing his characterization of his dead friend, Dr. Haley touched on Governor Crittenden's rare virtues as a husband and father, saying he was always careful to perform his public duties in the daytime, reserving the evenings for the society of his family.

Over the casket, during the funeral services, was draped the battle flag of the Seventh Missouri cavalry, which Governor Crittenden and Judge John F. Philips organized at the beginning of the civil war. The shot-torn banner was made by the women of Georgetown, Mo., and presented to the regiment. After the war it became the property of Judge Philips, who said it should drape his casket after his death.


No mourner was more sincere than "Uncle" Dan Edwards, who was Governor Crittenden's "waitin' boy," as he styled himself, during the four years of the war. "Uncle" Dan is now pastor of the Metropolitan Negro Baptist church, at Ninth and Washington streets, Kansas City, Kas. He went to the Crittenden home in the early morning and asked for a last look at the face of his old "marster," and, as he said, "tuck dinner" there. He followed his master's body to Forest Hill, where it was buried.

Among those who came to the funeral was J. B. Waddell of Springfield, whom Governor Crittenden appointed as his adjutant general.

Enough floral offerings were sent to make a great mound at the grave. Members of the family, however, asked that the greater part of the flowers be sent to adorn graves that might go through Memorial day undecorated. Among the pieces sent was one from the children of the neighborhood bearing the card which read:

"Children of the Kentucky Block"

City officials and attaches in their offices also sent many beautiful floral pieces.

The pallbearers were Kelly Brent, John Hanley, W. W. Collins, S. L. Long, Daniel T. Blake, W. S. Cowherd, Porter H. Hovey and Leon T. Brown.

So profuse was the floral offering in memory of Governor Crittenden that Mrs. Crittenden requested that some of them be sent to various hospitals in Kansas City after the burial. The flowers were all left at the cemetery until late yesterday afternoon, when many were collected and sent to the following hospitals:

German hospital, new general hospital, old city hospital, Nettleton home, St. Joseph's hospital, St. Mary's hospital, and Mercy hospital.


The council in special session yesterday passed the following tribute to the memory of the ex-governor:

"The death of former Governor Thomas Crittenden is a distinct loss, not only to our city, but to our state and nation. When a boy, following the dictates of his ancestral instincts, he dedicated his life to his country's service and took up his sword to defend its flag. To the closing of his rich and fruitful life, as soldier, congressman, governor, consul general and citizen he gave the best he had, his time, his talent, his eloquence, his energy to the state and nation. He was an illustrious example of American manhood. He was courageous and tender, courtly and constant, patriotic and modest. He honored women, trusted men and worshipped God. He belonged to the rare old school which held honor above wealth and virtue above life. He was every inch a Crittenden, which means that he turned his back to no foe and bended the knee to none but his Maker.

"He has fought the fight, he has finished the work, he has kept the faith and now takes his place full of honor among his distinguished ancestry.

"This city does not mourn alone. Today tears are falling nationwide. We, his neighbors, join with the multitudes in deploring his loss and extend to his sorrowing wife, his distinguished son, our mayor, and all the members of the grief-stricken family our earnest sympathy."

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

May 25, 1909



Visitors and Empolyes Testify No
Cruelty Was Shown to Patients.
Records Back Up Their

Ten witnesses, most of them in rebuttal, were put on the stand yesterday by the defense, when the hearing before the joint council committee in the matter of the charges preferred against the management of the new general hospital was resumed in the lower house council chamber.

In explaining how she came to tell a Mrs. Dougherty that a woman friend of the latter was "sitting up and doing well," w hen the woman was really dead, Mrs. Myrtle Keene, telephoneoperator at the hospital, said: "When the call came in the woman did not speak plainly, and all I understood was 'Mc.' I looked on the chart and found but one Mc., a Mr. McVey. I asked if McVey was the name and she was that it was. I was informed by McVey's nurse that he was sitting up and doing nicely, and told the woman so.

"Later I learned that the woman was asking about Mrs. McKay, who had died the night before and whose card had been taken out of the chart at my side. It was purely a mistake and when the woman called up later and I tried to apologize she would not let me explain."

A copy of the hospital chart for the date in question was introduced in evidence to show that McVey was the only "Mc" on the list that day.

Peter Doran, referred to quite often as "Dad," said that he had not beaten a patient because the latter asked for a crust of bread, as charged by the promoters. He said he never struck a patient, and had never known of any such treatment. Doran said that F. A. Wolf, who made serious charges, had bade him a fond goodby when he left the hospital, and had volunteered to take along his hat and clean it for nothing, returning it two weeks later in person.

Dr. S. C. James said the hospital compared favorably with any of its kind in the country.

Dr. W. A. Shelton, police surgeon, told of his connection with the Charles Newell case. He said that Newell was taken to the emergency hospital soon after his injury and hurried out to general hospital as soon as it was seen that his case was serious. Although Dr. J. D. Griffith and Dr. J. Park Neal were in the operating room ready to attend Newell, Dr. Shelton said the injured policeman refused all aid and demanded to be removed to the German hospital, where he could be treated by Dr. J. S. Snyder. He died shortly after being moved.

Fred Bowen, an orderly, explained how a patient named Starr came to leave the hospital. Money was sewed up in his undershirt, and when Starr was informed that he would have to leave it in the office for safe keeping, he dressed and left the institution, Bowen said.

Rev. T. B. Marvin, an evangelist who has visited the hospital for the last sixteen years, and the Rev. J. C. Schindel of the English Lutheran church, told of their many visits there, and said they heard no complaints from the patients, although they had made close inquiry. Mr. Schindel told of a Mrs. Merkle, who had made charges. He said she had written him since, and stated that she had been asked to make the charges, which she now regretted. He promised to send her letter to the committee.

To impeach, if possible, the evidence of Arthur Slim, who testified that "a whole quart of raw acid was poured over my ulcerated leg," Fred Freeman, the ward orderly who dressed the leg, was placed on the stand. The treatment blank, showing what dressing and medicines were used, was placed in evidence. Nothing was used to burn.

Slim also swore that he was "thrown out of the hospital at 11 o'clock on a cold night, with no shoes." The records showed that he was discharged at 11:45 a. m., and R. E. Crockett, property clerk at the hospital, testified that Slim had come to him and complained that his shoes were full of holes. Crockett said he gave the man a new pair of hospital slippers, after he had stated that they would suffice until he reached his room. The discharge blank also showed that Slim was sent away from the hospital for violating rules and for being abusive and profane. The record is an old one and was made long before charges were even contemplated.

Ernest A. Baker testified that while he was dangerously ill with pneumonia his wife called up every hour for two whole nights, and each time was given his pulse, temperature and general condition.

Labels: , , , ,

April 15, 1909



Double Pneumonia Sets Up and End
Came in Less Than a Week.
Business and Public

After an illness of less than a week with double pneumonia, C. B. Hayes, speaker of the lower house of the city council, peacefully met death this morning at 1 o'clock in St. Joseph's hospital. Relatives were at the bedside.

Last Thursday morning Mr. Hayes sat on the board of equalization at its meeting. At noon he was taken ill and went home. By night he was confined to his bed and the next morning taken to St. Joseph's, where his condition as found to be critical and remained so up to the time of his death.

The pneumonia was complicated by an affect of the heart. Yesterday afternoon he began to sink rapidly and members of his family were sent for. They remained with him all night until the end came.

Last Sunday morning at the Church of the Annunciation Rev. Father William J. Dalton asked for the prayers of his congregation for the speedy recovery or happy death of the stricken councilman.


Mr. Hayes was born in Chicago July 20, 1865, and had been a resident of Kansas City since September 1, 1896. At the last municipal election he was elected alderman of the Eighth ward on the Democratic ticket, and was later chosen speaker of the lower house of the council as a compliment from his associates in that branch of the council.

Two weeks ago he was chosen exalted ruler of the local lodge of Elks. He was a member of the Manufacturers and Merchants' Association, the Currant Club, Turners, Knife and Fork Club, Third regiment, and secretary of the Missouri River Wholesale Grocers' Association.

Prior to coming to Kansas City, Mr. Hayes had held important positions with the Bliss Syrup Refining Company of Chicago, and as an appreciation of his services the company made him manager of its Kansas City branch.


He held this position for five years, resigning to organize the C. B. Hayes Merchandise Brokerage Company, a commercial concern with headquarters in the West Bottoms. Mr. Hayes always took a lively interest in the upbuilding of Kansas City.

He was active in negotiations for the building of the Union passenger station and freight terminals. He was unmarried, saying that he could "never find time to marry."

Mr. Hayes was a member of the council committee considering the building of the Twelfth street west trafficway, and the foundation for his fatal illness was contracted in Chicago when eh went with the committee to inquire into the Chicago plan as applied to the street railway companies. He caught a severe cold on that trip.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

March 30, 1909


For Once He Had No Gas Res-
olution and No Speeches.

"I am reliably informed by Alderman Darius A. Brown, our worthy member from the Fifth ward, that he does not intend to introduce a resolution here tonight regarding gas, the utilities commission or anything else and further that he will not even make a speech," said Alderman Frank Shinnick in the lower house of the council last night. "I think he is entitled to a vote of thanks by this house."

"He certainly is," said Speaker C. B. Hayes. "Will anybody put that in the form of a motion?"

Alderman Shinnick then put the motion, which was quickly seconded by Alderman E. E. Morris of the Tenth. When it was put to the house the motion carried, only two dissenting votes being recorded.

"I am not willing to thank him until the house has adjourned," said Alderman Miles Bulger. "He may have a gas resolution up his sleeve this very minute. I know him. Let's thank him later."

"Me, too, Pete," came from Alderman Robert J. Smith. "Let's thank him at the next meeting. This one is not over yet."

The motion went through, however, and Alderman Brown kept his word. He did not even make a speech when called upon after being tendered the vote of thanks. This is the first time since he has been in the council that he has not introduced a resolution or made a speech.

Labels: ,

March 23, 1909


"Sanitary" Trash Cans Will Decor-
ate Street Corners.

"Will the committee explain what good these cans are? They obstruct sidewalks; are not beautiful to look at, and when we had them before I could see no earthly use for them."

This is what Alderman George H. Edwards said in the upper house of the council last night when the streets and alleys committee recommended the passage of an ordinance giving permission to a company headed by Michael Pendergast, brother of the alderman, to encumber the sidewalks and street corners with trash cans.

"They are sanitary, ornamental and well gotten up; they are absolutely sanitary and can't be kicked over or blown over," was the recommendation furnished for the cans by Alderman Isaac Taylor.

"Also quite convenient for clerks to empty the contents of waste paper baskets into," piped Alderman Emmet O'Malley.

"The last cans were good things to throw trash at, but never into," observed Alderman Edwards.

The ordinance was passed, the only negative vote being filed by Edwards.

In the lower house the ordinance failed of passage under suspension of the rules, but the streets and alleys committee reported it out immediately. The required eight votes were on hand to make it a law, the only objections being Alderman Darius Brown and J. G. Lapp.

Labels: , ,

March 12, 1909



Statement Is Made That One Munici-
pal Doctor Was Brusque -- Patients
Feared Being Operated
On Needlessly.

The people making charges of alleged cruelty at the general hospital had an inning with the council investigation committees yesterday, and will have another at 2:30 o'clock next Wednesday afternoon in the chambers of the lower house of the council. Later the defense, which is represented by Attorneys Frank Lowe and T. A. J. Mastin, will be heard. W. O. Cardwell, an attorney, appears for some of the complainants and Attorney J. J. McLain is on hand in the interests of the homeopathic medical fraternity which, too, has a grievance against the hospital administration. The complaint of the homeopathists is that they are not on an equality with other medical schools at the hospital.

The proceedings opened with the reading of a letter by Mr. Cardwell from Miss Carrie M. Carroll of Independence, in which she reviewed the treatment received at the hospital by Miss Josie Pomfret of that city. Miss Pomfret was sent there as a ward of the county court, and was to have a private room. Instead of that, the girl, Miss Carroll claims, "was taken to a public ward, was treated in a brusque manner, and was addressed in loud and threatening language by the doctors because she would not remove her jewelry."


"You are no better than a pauper and will get treatment as such," Miss Carroll alleges was said to Miss Pomfret, who became excited because she feared that an operation would be performed. She declared that Dr. J. Park Neal, the acting superintendent, had been very discourteous. The next day Miss Carroll called at the hospital to get Miss Pomfret.

"Do you consider you have authority to operate upon patients without notifying friends and relatives of the patients?" Miss Carroll says she asked Dr. Neal.

"Yes, I am in full authority here, and if I consider it necessary I can operate on a patient without asking anybody," Miss Carroll says was Dr. Neal's reply.

Miss Carroll claims that she was treated with much inattention when she called to take her friend from the hospital back to Independence, and concluded the letter by making this allegation: "The general hospital is a butcher shop with a madman at its head."

Miss Carroll explained that she was sending the letter as she could not attend the hearing, having been called to New York. Her affidavit, as well as that of Miss Pomfret, will be demanded by the committee.

Dr. Charles E. Allen, family physician to F. A. Wolf, a patient, who was to be operated on for hernia against his protest, testified that he did not consider an operation necessary and he had Wolf removed to Wesley hospital to prevent the threatened operation. Wolf had been sent to the hospital to be treated for a nervous breakdown.


Mrs. F. A. Wolf testified that her husband was sent to the hospital by direction of Dr. R. J. Wolf, who did not tell her what was the matter with him. She said that he was very much excited, a nervous wreck. Three different times she visited the hospital, and was allowed to remain with him five minutes each time. On the third visit her husband was very much excited because he was to be operated on for hernia. She told Dr. Neal she did not want the operation performed. She called up Camp 2002, Modern Woodmen, of which her husband is a member, and they moved him to another hospital.

Mrs. Wolf said she felt humiliated because her husband had been put in a ward with dope fiends, and had been strapped to the bed. She thought the strapping to the bed was unnecessary, although she had not seen him on the occasion he was strapped to the bed.

Asked by Alderman J. G. Lapp: "Did you see him strapped to the bed?"

Mrs Wolf -- "No, sir; I did not. My husband told me about it."

F. A. Wolf, the patient, said that he had been working night and day seven days a week at his trade of hat cleaner, and last fall became a nervous wreck. He was surprised when Dr. Wolf called and ordered him to the hospital. He rode to the hospital on the seat of the ambulance. At the hospital they made him take a bath, and put him in the insane ward. One of the patients in the ward chained him to the bed by one of his legs.

"I was not violent," continued Wolf. "Next morning an attendant came along and told me that if I would fix up an old hat for him, he would take the chains off my legs. I agreed to fix his hat, and the chains were taken off. Then they made me do work that was objectionable. That night they moved me to another ward, and put me in with a noisy fellow. The doctor gave the noisemaker an injection which kept him sick all night. In the morning I told an attendant that the noisy fellow had a sick night, and the doctor replied, 'That's nothing; they get used to that after they are here a while."


"I saw welts on the legs of an other patient who had been whipped because he had asked for something to eat between meal hours. The Saturday following my arrival at the hospital three doctors told me I would have to be operated on for hernia.

"I protested against an operation. They told me that all of my troubles would be over after the operation. Sunday they removed me to another ward, the surgical ward, it is called, and at supper time the nurse informed me that I didn't want much to eat as I was to have an operation performed. Later that day my wife took me to Wesley hospital in an ambulance. I was weak and exhausted. No operation was performed at Wesley.

Wolf claims that his friends were denied admittance to him while he was at the general hospital, and he thought it wrong for the attendants to chain him to the bed. The night before he was sent to the hospital he acknowledged he had been picked up at the depot, and he could not tell how he got there. He didn't want to go to the hospital. The strap with which the patient was flogged, Wolf said, was about three feet long and two inches wide. The patient was chained during the flogging process, according to Wolf.

W. O. Cardwell, an attorney, swore that on December 14, 1908, he went to the hospital to get the record and affidavit of death of a young man who had died there, as he wanted to get a claim in before the Modern Woodmen. Dr. Neal said he could make the affidavit.


" 'You know our rule out here,' said Dr. Neal.

" 'What is that rule?' I asked

" 'That a fee of $2 accompany the application for the affidavit,' " Cardwell said Neal said to him.

" 'I never had to do that before,' I told Neal, but on advice of the secretary of the Woodman camp I paid the $2."

"Is the rule of the hospital to charge for furnishing affidavits of death?" Alderman J. D. Havens asked Dr. Neal.

"It is not. I always exact it, as I consider it a professional personal service.," replied the doctor.

In answer to Attorney Frank Lowe, Cardwell would not say for certain whether Dr. Neal "had said it is a rule of the hospital or our rule," but he was quite positive that former administrations at the hospitals had not exacted a fee for supplying affidavits of death.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

March 9, 1909


Tin Trash Cans Again May Disfigure
Street Corners.

Are the "Gilwees" to be revived? "Gilwees" were the unsightly trash cans that imposed their undesirable presence on the public a few years ago, and bloomed and prospered until an indignant populace demanded their extermination.

Now come P. S. Burke, M. J. Pendergast and Shelton P. Stone to the council with an ordinance asking for a five years' permit to decorate the corners of the streets and center of blocks with trash cans. The upper house sent the ordinance to the sidewalk committee last night.
If the grantees are permitted to go into the trash can business they agree to keep their books on the square, and pay annually into the city 10 per cent of the gross revenues. Their revenues will be from attaching advertisements, to the cans, it being promised that no offensive "ads" will be tolerated.

Labels: ,

February 17, 1909



Cruel Treatment Alleged in Affida-
vits Read Before Council -- Com-
mittee Is Appointed to
Sift Complaints.

The lower house on the council last night named Alderman W. P. Woolf, C. J. Gilman and J. G. Lapp to a committee to investigate charges of inhumane treatment towards patients at the new general hospital.

The investigation was made upon the request of Alderman Darious Brown, who read a number of affidavits said to have been signed by patients.

Alderman Miles Bulger openly asserted that the move was a political one to embarrass the administration.

"I do not believe that Alderman Brown is any more sincere in this than he has been with his moves for a gas pressure regulation," declared Bulger.

Alderman brown denied with emphasis the charge of insincerity in wanting the alleged cruelties investigated. He added that it was impossible for him to believe that the prominent men comprising the health and hospital board would want such aspersions cast upon their management of the institution without having to falsity or correctness of them established.


Affidavits outlining complaints of patients who claimed to have been abused were read by Mr. Brown.

F. A. Wolf, 4237 Tracy, was taken to the hospital December 1, he affirmed, suffering from a nervous complaint, but declares the house physicians said he had a hernia and should be operated on. He says he fought being taken to the operating room and succeeded in escaping an operation until his wife could be communicated with. She called Dr. Charles E. Allen, the family physician, and Wolf was removed to Wesley hospital.

Wolf charges cruelty to other patients, declaring he had seen a patient whipped with a leather strap for asking for something to eat after regular meal hours, and had seen a man suffering from pneumonia die after being forced into a tub filled with cold water.


Wolf claims to be a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, and a local lodge of the order is supporting him in his charges.

Frank E. Jefferson made affidavit that on October 22 he underwent an operation at the hospital, and the incision was not dressed until the 25th. Later he was moved to Hahneman Medical college.

Arthur Slim, a brick layer, declared that while he was in the hospital with an ulcerated leg and suffering much pain, a doctor ordered him to the kitchen to work. He replied "that if he had to work, he might as well be laying brick."


Then the doctor repeated his order that Slim must either work in the kitchen or leave. Slim says he left, and limped to the emergency hospital and asked they physicians there to dress his sore leg. They refused, he avers, because he had left the general hospital.

Then Slim went to the University hospital, where his leg was dressed, and he was ordered back to the general hospital.

"December 23 I went back to the hospital," claims Slim, "and when the doctor saw me, he told others he would 'fix' me. He poured a quart bottle of acid over my sore leg."


Signor Friscoe was a trapeze performer. He swears that on January 16, 1909, he fell from a trapeze at the Hippodrome, breaking five ribs and paralyzing his lower limbs. He complains that he was roughly handled both in the ambulance and at the hospital, and that when he asked to be allowed to communicate with the Benevolent Order of Eagles, of which he is a member, his request was denied. Finally, he got into communication with officials of the Kansas City aerie, and was removed to another hospital.

W. O. Cardwell asserts that Walter Gessley died at the hospital, and that a doctor refused to state the cause of death or furnish a death certificate until he was paid $2.

An attack on the hospital management came up in a different form in the upper house of the council. The board asked for authority to spend $5,000 for surgical instruments, an X-ray machine and fitting up a laboratory.


Dr. J. Park Neal, house surgeon at the general hospital, said last night:

"Neither I nor any member of the hospital staff care to deny the charges made against the hospital. We simply ignore them. They are too absurd to make a denial necessary."

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

February 11, 1909


John Scanlon, Former City Official,
Dies in New York.
John Scanlon

John Scanlon, a former member of the lower house of the council, died in New York city Tuesday night from cancer of the stomach. T. Scanlon, a brother and member of the fire department, was the only relative present when death occurred. Another brother, Patrick, is also connected with the fire department. A married sister, Mrs. D. Green, and an unmarried sister, Miss Margaret Scanlon, reside in Kansas City. The father and mother of the deceased live in Ireland. The remains are to be brought to Kansas City tomorrow, and the funeral will be from the home of Timothy Scanlon, an uncle, 2632 Summit street, at a time to be announced later.

John Scanlon was 39 years old, and had been a resident of Kansas City twenty-seven years, coming direct here from Ireland at the age of 12 years. In 1902 he was elected to the lower house of the council from the Fifth ward and again in 1904 from the Fourth ward, a redistricting of the wards putting him over in the latter ward. Alderman Scanlon represented his constituents zealously and with marked ability, and had their entire confidence and esteem. He leaves a large circle of friends and acquaintances.

Labels: , , , ,

February 2, 1909


One North of the City Market Is to
Be Acquired.

Both houses of the council last night authorized the city comptroller to spend $250,000 acquired from the sale of bonds for the purchase of the square bounded by Main, Walnut, Third and Fourth streets. The buildings will be razed and sheds erected for the use of farmers having produce to sell. It was stated that an arrangement had been perfected with the several owners of the property to dismiss court appeals from the verdict of the condemnation jury.

Labels: , , , , , ,

December 13, 1908


City to Erect Monument in Memory
of Brave Officers.

Upon the request of Mayor Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., Alderman Miles Bulger will offer an ordinance in the lower house of the council tomorrow night appropriating $1,000 for the placing of monuments over the graves of Michael Mullane and Albert O. Dalbow, the two policemen who were shot down by religious fanatics last Tuesday. The mayor believes that the city should show some benefiting mark of appreciation to the memories of those who sacrificed their lives in the discharge of duty and the preservation of the law.

Labels: , , ,

December 1, 1908


City Can Get On Without It,
Says Alderman O'Malley.

A general engagement was fought in the upper house last night upon the Union station question.

Alderman Emmet O'Malley openly took the floor against a union station ordinance upon almost any terms, and gave expression to views which lent the inference that he would oppose a union station in favor of two or more stations.

"I do not like this. I am not only not prepared to say I will vote for the ordinance this resolution brings about, nor for any other ordinance which would grant a terminal franchise. Modern cities do not grant terminal railway franchises. Here they propose to spend $15,000,000 building a terminal, and issuing bonds to the extent of $35,000,000. That does not look right to start with. They want to get a 200-year monopoly upon the switching of the city. I will never vote to give a monopoly that would crowd out independent railroads.

"The idea seems to have got out that all Kansas City needs is a pretty depot. This city has grown vastly in the last ten or twenty years, and that without any aid from a pretty depot. I would rather see the people have nothing but platforms alongside the cars than vote them a pretty depot and a 200-year contract to keep it company. A union station is not a necessity. There has been only one side told to this story. To get passengers now from one depot to the other it costs the railways 50 cents apiece. Those passengers often trade in the city while crossing it."

C. B. Hayes, speaker, said that the final analysis of the depot question would have to come to the council and he predicted taht the ordinance that would be put up to the people for ratification or rejection would be one that was satisfactory to the council.

Labels: ,

November 22, 1908


Pendergast Favors Immediate Sub-
mission of Depot Ordinance.

"The Union passenger station and freight terminal franchise is distinctly a people's proposition and it should be put up to them for settlement without further delay," said Alderman James Pendergast, yesterday. "Individually I am ready to vote Monday night to put the ordinance up to the people on the decision of the utilities commission, the legal opinion of Attorney R. J. Ingraham, and as a recognition of the splendid work done by Mayor Crittenden and the council committee in connection with the routine details of the ordinance. I realize, and my associates in the council should also realize it, that their responsibility ceases when the routine negotiations have been completed and that the people are the final arbiters in the matter. A man who has lost confidence in the people, and questions their ability to act intelligently on this matter has no business being in control.

Labels: , , , , ,

November 3, 1908


Name of This Gloomy Little Canon
Changed by Council.

The name of one of Kansas City's pioneer streets, Wall, was last night changed to Baltimore by an ordinance fathered by Akderman W. A. Bunker. Wall street, which begins at Sixth, runs into Baltimore at Ninth and, on account of the two streets having different names, has been a source of annoyance to strangers. Old settlers remember the time when the street was known as Ann. The council of that time sought a more metropolitan name, and Wall street was selected.

Labels: , , ,

October 14, 1908


Upper House Compromises on $15,-
000 -- Lower House to Act.

The upper house of the council last night compromised by consenting to vote $15,000 instead of $25,000 for the erection of an animal house in Swope park for the proposed zoo. The ordinance will have to be considered by the lower house.

Alderman G. E. Edwards said that there seemed to be a misunderstanding among some of the aldermen as to the import of the improvement.

"It is more than a bird cage; it is a building 135 x 88 feet and will be filled with animals of all descriptions," said the alderman. "The promoters of the zoo are from the ranks of the best citizens of Kansas City, and they already have had a number of animals offered them which they have been unable to accept on account of having no buildings in which to receive them."

Labels: , , ,

October 13, 1908


Thirteenth and Woodland Will Be New
Site of Home and Mission.

Alderman Edmund E. Morris last night got through the lower house an ordinance granting the right to erect a building at Thirteenth street and Woodland avenue by the Florence Crittenton Home and Mission. During former years in the council it has been hard for rescue homes and kindred institution to secure the privelege of building in the city. No alderman whished one in his ward. The Tenth ward now has two and since the Florence Crittenton institution has raised enough money to build, Alderman Morris said he thought it should have permission and he got it for the home.

Labels: , , ,

October 13, 1908


Saturday Half Day Holiday Action Re-
scinded by the Council.

The resolution closing all city hall departments Saturday afternoons the year round was formally rescinded by the upper ho use of the council committee last night. Alderman George H. Edwards, chairman of the finance committee, explained that heads of departments had been consulted. Some had been found that said it would be impossible for them to shape the affairs of their offices to a half-holiday, and others thought it would be unfair to the public to close.

Labels: ,

October 6, 1908





Earned Name of Being One of Most Ac-
tive and Conscientious in Council.

John Francis Eaton, member of the upper house of the city council and for years a prominent worker among the Democrats of the city, is dead. His death occurred suddenly last night while he was sitting in a chair on the front porch of his home, 3123 Woodland avenue. While Mr. Eaton had been in poor health for some time, his condition was not considered serious either by himself or his friends until yesterday afternoon, when he complained of a pain in his side and remarked that he could not stand the pain much longer. An hour later, about 7 o'clock in the evening, he died.

Just prior to this time Mr. Eaton was talking with his brother, Walter Y. Eaton, who lives nearby. They had been discussing various subjects, and although Mr. Eaton appeared somewhat pale, death was apparently the last subject on either of their minds.

Mr. Eaton's death occurred just before the opening of the council meeting last night, and just as the roll call was being read a message came to that body announcing the death of a fellow member.

It was unanimously agreed that both houses should assemble and then adjourn out of respect to the memory of Mr. Eaton. It was further decided that on the day of the funeral the city hall should be closed in the afternoon and it was ordered that the flag on the hall be hung at half mast for thirty days.


Alderman Eaton was 58 years old and had lived in Kansas City since 1831. He was born in St. Louis in 1852. When he was one year old his parents removed to Quincy, Ill., where he was educated in the common schools of the city. When 18 years old he started in the book and stationary business and a few years later he became a traveling salesman for a crockery concern in which work he continued until coming to Kansas City when he went into business for himself, taking for his partner L. E. Erwin.

Twelve years ago he retired from the crockery business and engaged in insurance work, which line he followed up to the time of his death.

He was a Democrat, a notable worker in the party and earned for himself the name of being one of the most active and conscientious aldermen in the city. He was greatly interested in securing a municipal appropriation for the new zoological garden at Swope Park. Although being a staunch Democrat, Alderman Eaton had the name of never allowing politics to influence any of his legislative acts. He was the chairman of the finance committee and was associated with the workhouse, public places and building committees.

Twenty-five years ago he was married to Miss Flora McMillan, who survives him. There are no children. Mr. Eaton was a past commander of the K. P. lodge and was a thirty-third degree Mason. In church circles he was well known, being a member of the Grace Episcopal church, where he held the offices of treasurer and vestryman in the church.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

September 29, 1908


Upper House Wants Street Sweepers'
Pay Raised First.

The upper house of the council last night defeated an ordinance appropriating $25,000 from funds unappropriated for the building of a bird house for a zoo at Swope park. Aldermen W. C. Culbertson and Isaac Taylor led the opposition tot he measure, their particular complaint being that it is wrong for the city to spend money providing pleasure for the rich and not provide funds to raise the pay of street sweepers from $1.75 to $2 a day.

"This ordinance reminds me of the man who cannot pay his grocery and doctor bills, but can afford to buy and wear diamonds," said Alderman Culbertson.

"Also," interrupted Taylor, who is a tailor, "like the man who lets his tailor's bill go unpaid and buys diamonds -- and that's where I am the sufferer. I love the birds and monkeys, but I love my fellow man who pushes the broom the best."

"Culbertson made a flowery speech here two weeks ago about his love for the street sweeper, and he promised to introduce an ordinance advancing the laborer's pay, but I have failed to see anything of it. Words count something but acts count more."

"I'll introduce the ordinance before this house adjourns tonight," retaliated Culbertson.

"Do it. I'll vote for it," promised Eaton.

The park board has accepted the lowest bid for the construction of the first building for the zoo in Swope park. The bid is about $23,000 and the board is to furnish the stone for foundations.

Labels: , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory