Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

December 26, 1909



Rules Given Masters and "Black
Beauty" Books Also Distri-
buted by Humane Society.

A new meaning was given yesterday to the "horse laugh." From 1,000 to 1,500 horses in Kansas City not accustomed to a square meal stood in their stalls, free from work and protected from the weather, and munched full portions of the best oats the market affords.

And these horses laughed. It was Christmas day and they were enjoying a Christmas celebration planned especially for them.

The "feed' for poor work horses was given by the Kansas City Humane society as the result of a plan evolved by Mrs. E. D. Hornbrook and Mrs. E. H. Robinson, members of the board of the society.

For the purpose of carrying joy to the hearts of the poor animals which struggle under burdens on the streets of Kansas City every day and which are indifferently fed and kept, largely because of the poverty of their owners, the Humane society purchased a half dozen tons of the best white oats and did the grain up in five and ten pound sacks, giving out these packages to owners of horses whose cases had been investigated by the society and to whom tickets previously had been given.


About 1,000 of these tickets were given out and sacks of the grain were also given to others who had not received tickets. Provision was also made for still other cases and an automobile furnished by the Kansas City Rapid Motor Transfer company will take "feeds" to the cases which were reported too late to be cared for as were the others.

It was at Convention hall that the Christmas dinners for the poor horses were given out and the committee in charge of the distribution was composed of Mrs. F. D. Hornbrook, J. W. Perkins and E. R. Weeks, president of the Humane Society.

The sacks containing the oats were placed on long tables and when horse owners applied for the "feeds" they were required to present their tickets, give their names and the names of their horses. They were then given the sacks of feed, a tag which they promised to read and a copy of "Black Beauty." Where owners had sick horses they were also given blankets for the disabled animals.


The tag which each owner promised to read contained this "horse" talk:
"What is good for your horse is good for his master.
Your horse needs good care as well as good food.
Never work your horse when he will not eat.
Water your horse often. Water should always be given fifteen minutes before feeding grain.
Daily grooming will improve the health as well as the looks of your horse.
Give your horses rock salt, and head shelter from the heat.
Economize by feeding good oats and good hay.
Good drivers are quiet, patient and kind, and have little use for a whip..." and so on.


"This horse dinner means a great deal more than most people think," said Mrs. Hornbrook. "It is intended to show the horse owners that their animals must be cared for and to set an example for them to follow. Some of the papers have made a humorous affair out of it, when it is anything but humorous and has a most humane object.

"It is not intended simply to fill the empty stomach of some poor animal for the time being," said Mr. Weeks, "but is to create a kindly sentiment for dumb animals. We show the horse owners what a sample meal is and that is something some of them know very little about. The ten pounds of oats we give them is a double portion of a standard feed. The owners of all the big fine animals we see hitched to drays on the streets feed their horses five pounds of the best oats at a meal. Along with the oats we give out, we also give the horse owners a copy of 'Black Beauty' and the tag containing advice about the care of horses an d we hope your Christmas dinner for the horses will do good."

To many horse owners, who called for feed at Convention hall between 9 a. m. and 6 p. m., Mr. Weeks, Mrs. Hornbrook and other workers agents of the Humane Society gave good advice. Some of the callers were persons with whom agents of the society had come in contact in their work and there were scores of promises, such as "well, we'll take better care of our horses from now on."

Posted about the corridor in Convention hall yesterday, were copies of new cards issued by the Humane society. They read, "Be kind to your horse. Do not forget his water, feed and shelter."

Christmas day was the most notable day for the poor work horse in the history of Kansas City. No wonder a new meaning was given to the slang expression, a "horse laugh."

Labels: , , , , , , ,

December 17, 1909



Humane Society to Be Host at Con-
vention Hall Where Equine
Event Will Show Sufferings
to Local Philanthropists.

The poor horses of the city will be fed to satiety at least once this year. By arrangement with the directors of Convention hall yesterday, the Humane Society, in conjunction with Mrs. Emma W. Robinson, 3208 East Tenth street, and Mrs. E. D. Hornbrook, 3229 East Eleventh street, will give a feast of oats, bran and ground corn, with trimmings of real hay, to the neglected cobs and fallen thoroughbreds of all sections in the big Auditorium Christmas day.

"It will not be an equine quality event," Mrs. Hornbrook said yesterday, "but it will be on invitations, anyway. This is to prevent spongers from feeding a team at our expense. The money will be raised by subscription. We are asking the wholesale houses to donate enough feed for several hundred animals."

The invitations are being printed today. They read:

"Christmas dinner for the workhorse,
Given by the Humane Society,
Call at Convention hall Christmas day between 9 a. m. and 6 p. m .

The plan of giving one good meal to the horses is original with Mrs. Robinson. She always has been interested in the dumb animals, and is a member of long standing of the Humane Society. She said last night:

"Someone has got to take up the horse's end of this charity proposition. It is not right that people should go on year after year giving alms to the human derelicts and entirely ignoring man's best friend, his horse. The scheme to give old work horses at least one square meal has been carried out to perfection in Norway, and someone should try it here. I suppose it will be scoffed at by some, but that is because it is new. In a few years, when through such humble means the attention of the world is directed toward the old horse and his suffering, it will be looked upon in a different light."

Edwin R. Weeks, president of the Humane Society, is in favor of the "banquet."

"Not for itself," he said yesterday, "but merely as a means to bring the suffering of our four-footed friends before local philanthropists. The Chicago idea of tagging the horses that are misused or underfed is not a poor one, but this one will get emaciated subjects of charity together by the hundred, in one hall, and let people see them."

Labels: , , , , , , ,

December 8, 1909


Humane Society Busy Detecting
Smooth Shoes on Slippery Streets.

For the past two days the Humane Society has been busy in an attempt to give the horses of Kansas City a square deal. The sudden fall of snow, which made the downtown streets slippery, caught teamsters and horse owners unprepared, their animals wearing smooth shoes.

Last Monday Humane Agent Frank E. McLreary, in addition to his regular duties, appointed a field force of a dozen men. The streets are being patrolled thoroughly during the day and late into the evening. If any animal is seen making a vain attempt to struggle up a steep grade its shoes are examined and, if in bad condition, it is taken from the shafts and to the nearest blacksmith shop. The smithies are working overtime, most of their business being at night. An officer patrols the vicinity of the blacksmith shops and sees that the line of animals awaiting their turn in the streets are properly blanketed and protected from the cold.

Labels: , , ,

October 10, 1909

ESTATE OF $3,000,000.


Full Text of the Paper as Filed in
Independence Shows the Wide
Extent of Kansas City's
Benefactor's Holdings.

An estate of $3,000,000, by the provisions of the will filed yesterday in the Independence division of the probate court was left by Colonel Thomas H. Swope to his near relatives, friends and to charity. The greater part of his property is bequeathed direct to his blood relations. City lots left to the Humane Society is the largest gift to charity.

The will was filed for probate by J. G. Paxton, an attorney of Independence, Mo., who framed it June 17, 1905. Mr. Paxton since has been its custodian. In filing the will, Mr. Paxton was accompanied by Stuart S. Fleming, Mr. Swope's nephew, who lives in Maury county, Tenn.

Colonel Swope named Mr. Paxton, Mr. Fleming and James M. Hunton of Independence his executors, and requested that they be allowed to serve without bond. George B. Harrison, Arthur F. Day and F. T. Childs, all of whom live here, signed as witnesses. The three men were present yesterday morning in court to attest their signatures.


The instrument states that "this is my holographic will." This is to indicate that it was written by Col. Swope. There were no changes in the instrument as written by him.

The bequests to charity are as follows: To Humane Society, two lots in Turner Company's addition; to Park College, two lots in West Kansas addition; to the Women's Christian Association, $10,000 cash; to Young Women's Christian Association, $10,000 cash; to Young Men's Christian Association, $10,000 cash; to the Provident Association, $25,000 cash.

After providing for charity and making specific bequests to his near relatives and friends, the balance is left to his nephews and nieces, to be divided share alike.

S. W. Spangler, attorney for Mr. Swope, has prepared a conservative estimate of the values of some of the real estate bequests made in the will. The values are as follows:

One-half of the two story building at 1017-1019 Main street, left to Ella J. Plunket, $75,000; the other half of the same property, left to Gertrude Plunket, $75,000; the undivided half of lots Nos. 10 and 12 on East Fourth street, left to Felix Swope, $13,250; the northeast corner of Hickory and Joy streets, now occupied by the John Deere Plow Company's warehouse, left to James Hunton, $40,000; the northeast corner of Twelfth and Walnut streets, 85-115 feet, left to Margaret Swope's five unmarried children, $400,000; 1112-1114 Walnut street, left to the same children, $190,000; 916-918 1/2 Main street, to the same children, $120,000; the northwest corner of Mulberry and Eleventh streets, to the same five children, $50,000; the southeast corner of Twelfth and Campbell streets, left to the five children, $60,000; 915 Walnut street, left to Frances Swope, $87,500; 120 acres, to the south half of the ground occupied by the Evanston Golf Club, to Thomas H. Swope, Jr., $240,000; the eight-story building at the southeast corner of Eleventh street and Grand avenue, to his nine nephews and nieces, $400,000.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

October 7, 1909



Will Gives $25,000 to Provident As-
sociation and Contains Other
Charitable Bequests,


To the Humane Society of Kansas City, Mo., I give, grant, devise and bequeath in trust forever lots 1 and 2 in clock 43 of Turner & Co.'s addition to Kansas City, Mo., the proceeds of the rental thereof to be used by said Humane Society in the entertainment of children in Swope park, near Kansas City, annually, forever.

To Park College, situated in Platte county, Missouri, I give lots 15 and 16 in block 3, West Kansas addition No 2 to Kansas city, Mo.

To the Women's Christian association I give the sum of $10,000.

To the Young Women's Christian Association of Kansas City, Mo., I give the sum of $10,000.

To the Young Men's Christian Association of Kansas City, Mo., I give $10,000.

To the Provident Association of Kansas City, Mo., I give the sum of $25,000 to be known as the "Swope Fund," and to be used for the benefit of the poor and needy of Kansas City, Mo.

Before the body of Colonel Thomas H. Swope was removed from the family home in Independence, Mo., yesterday afternoon to be brought to this city to lie in state in the rotunda of the public library building, J. G. Paxton, an attorney who had possession of the philanthropist's will, gave out the public bequests mentioned therein. They are enumerated above.

"It was thought befitting," he said, "that bequests made to public institutions and to charity should be published before the funeral. The complete will, enumerating private as well as public bequests, will be filed for probate Saturday."

The lots left to the Humane society are situated at the southeast corner of Union avenue and Mulberry street in the West Bottoms. The corner lot is occupied by the Union Avenue Bank of Commerce. Good rentals are secured from the two buildings of the property.

"The bequest of Colonel Swope to the Humane Society is not a surprise to me," said E. R. Weeks, president of the society last night. "Colonel Swope had a life membership in the society and for several years has been its first vice president. He has been identified with the work for more than twenty-five years and was our closest friend.


"Several years ago Colonel Swope sent for me to come to his office. When I arrived he told me that he intended to remember the society in his will which he intended writing himself. At his suggestion I wrote that portion of his will which he later copied. That is why it is no surprise. There is a provision regarding this bequest to the effect that the society may sell this property at any time it deem necessary or advisable."

The property left to Park college, Parkville, Mo., also is situated in the West Bottoms and is said to pay a good annual rental.

The Women's Christian Association, to which Colonel Swope left $10,000, has charge of hte management and maintenance of the Gillis Orphan's Home and the Armour Memorial Home for Aged Couples, Twenty-third street and Tracy avenue. Colonel Swope gave the land on which the orphanage is built. It is a large tract and later Mrs. F. B. Armour built the home for aged couples which bears her name. Sometimes it is known as the Margaret Klock home, named for Mrs. Armour's sister.

"We had hoped that we might be remembered in a small way," said Mrs. P. D. Ridenhour, acting president of the Women's Christian Association, when informed of the $10,000 bequest. "But this comes to us as a most pleasant surprise, and I might say that it comes at a time when we need it most. We had not expected anything so handsome as our benefactor has given us and to express our thanks would be the smallest way in which we can show our gratitude. In honor of his memory we will endeavor to do the greatest good with what he has left us.


"Have you heard of the $10,000 left the Y. W. C. A. by Colonel Swope?" a young woman at the association rooms was asked over the telephone last night.

"Humph," she replied quickly, "he gave us $50,000."

"But this is over and above the $50,000," she was informed. "This is a bequest in his will."

"Oh, goody, gracious, goodness, isn't that just scrumptiously grand," she cried, dropping the telephone to fairly scream the glad news to other young women present. "Won't we have a dandy home, now, God bless him."

At that moment someone began a song of praise in honor of the welcome news. The telephone was forgotten.

"This certainly comes to us as a glad surprise," said Miss Nettie E. Trimble, secretary for the Y. W. C. A.

"Colonel Swope was so good to us when we were struggling for our new building that we had no idea of getting a bequest from his will. Years ago when the building of a home for the Y. W. C. A. was mentioned, he said he wanted to have a part in it. While committees were out working he sent us $25,000 unsolicited. Toward the close, when it looked as if we would not reach the $300,000 mark by the time set, he sent for me and asked how much we lacked. When told that we needed $22,000 to complete the figure he promptly gave us $25,000, making a total of $50,000 which he gave toward our new home.


"As we have plenty of money to complete our home it is possible that Colonel Swope's bequest of $10,000 will be made a nucleus for an endowment fund to carry on industrial and Bible work. The industrial department never has been self sustaining and teachers for both have to be hired and paid. That the name of Colonel Swope will forever remain dear to the members of the Y. W. C. A. goes without saying."

Henry M. Beardsley, president of the Y. M. C. A. was out of the city and James. B. Welsh, a member of the board of directors, was notified of the bequest of $10,000 to that association.

"Good, good," he cried, "that comes to us at a time when we need it most. We have been in pretty hard straits to complete our new building and this most gracious gift will put us on our feet under full sail. The association, no doubt, will take appropriate action when notified officially of the bequest. I will sleep better tonight and so will many others."

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

September 22, 1909

Excuse the Police Make.

Were Afraid Someone Would Talk
to Women in Matron's Room.

That someone might talk to the women prisoners who were confined in the matron's room Monday night was the excuse yesterday of the police for keeping two women with babes in arms in the holdover, instead of placing them in the matron's room, where they are ordinarily taken.

Mrs. Mattie Bell, whose 6 months old baby was removed to the Emergency hospital before morning, was turned over to the Humane society, and the child was sent to Mercy hospital.

The other woman was removed to the matron's room this morning.

Labels: , , , ,

September 7, 1909


Boys Preparing to Send Them Up
When Officers Came.

The ascension of a kite with a chicken and cat attached as a ballast didn't take place yesterday morning in the neighborhood of Fifth street and Wabash avenue, which several of the youngsters of the neighborhood had planned as a sort of Labor Day celebration. But it was all the fault of the Humane society who had heard of the plans.

When two officers arrived yesterday morning the crowd scattered. they found the deserted kite with the chicken and cat attached in the proper fashion. No arrests were made.

Labels: , , , , ,

August 12, 1909


Humane Mark on Horses You'd
Better Leave Alone.

If offered a horse with an "H" sheared on the off-thigh, better refuse him. The Humane Society is after the herd. The day before yesterday Field Agent E. C. Cox was loitering about the "donkey" market, waiting for the arrival of a poor old animal he intended shooting, a merciful thing he shortly afterward did. while engaged in doing nothing, the field agent heard two traders talking of a choice lot of old wrecks in a field just across the state line, which were being fed up to bring into the market for sale, and further punishment today.

The field agent went out to the field himself yesterday on a scouting expedition . He says that he found twelve miserable looking horses, absolutely unfit for work. Before the one in charge came up, Cox had sheared an "H", for Humane, on each horse.

"I have marked them so as to know them again," the field agent warned, "and if I find one of them in the city within six weeks I will know whom to arrest. I order you to keep these horses on pasture the balance of the summer."

Labels: ,

June 13, 1909


Humane Society Investigation Story
of Rose Slocovitch.

Agents for the Humane Society are holding in the matron's room Rose Slocovitch, 11 years old, until they can investigate the story she told the police last night after Sergeant Robert Greeley had found her wandering on the streets. When found by the sergeant the girl said her foster mother mistreated her and that evening when trouble arose she was left on the street corner.

The story as told by rose is that five months ago a Mrs. Anna McDonald visited Houston, Tex., and claiming to be interested in orphans sold motto cards the the charitably inclined Texans. She was in Houston two weeks ago and when she left she was accompanied by Rose, whose father agreed to the girl's leaving home. Rose said she sold the cards for Mrs. McDonald. Now she desires to return to her home where her mother is supposed to be dying.

Frank E. McCrary, humane agent, visited Mrs. McDonald last night at her home, 1442 Jefferson street, and the girl's story in the main part was corroborated. Mrs. McDonald said she traveled around the country selling post cards and used the proceeds in helping orphan children.

Labels: , , , , ,

May 22, 1909



Sharp's Mental Condition Is Not
Seriously Considered -- Witnesses
Describe the City Hall
Riot Scenes.

That the defense of James Sharp, the religious fanatic, charged with the killing of Patrolman Michael Mullane, is to be self-defense was made evident on the first day of the trial, which opened yesterday in the criminal court.

It had been announced and it was the theory of the state that insanity would be pleaded. but during all the evidence heard yesterday there was no mention of Sharp's mental condition save alone in the statement of Virgil Conkling, prosecuting attorney, in which he outlined what the state expects to prove.

Perhaps it was because through Mr. Conkling's statement, reciting incident after incident of Sharp's life, from his religious doings in Oklahoma and Canada, through the city hall riot here December 8 and the subsequent flight of Sharp, ran the suggestion that Sharp was not insane, but, on the contrary, sane and exceptionally acute of mind. Out of every action on the part of Sharp the prosecutor deduced a refutation of the insanity idea.


At the rate of progress made yesterday, it is likely that the trial will consume a greater part of next week. It is the practice of Judge Ralph S. Latshaw to open court early, to take one hour at noon for recess and to adjourn at 5 o'clock. Much time was spent yesterday over each witness.

It was while Mayor Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., was on the stand yesterday afternoon that the defense showed its change of front. In arguing for permission to ask the mayor certain questions, A. E. Martin of counsel for the defense said to the court:

"We propose to show that the police and the probation officer incited a riot at the city hall and followed the same persons who participated in the riot and killed one of them in a boat on the river."

The court refused to admit testimony as to what happened on the river front, as happening there were fifteen minutes later than the fight which resulted in the death of Mullane.


Touching elbows with John P. Mullane, brother of the man with whose death he stands charged, Sharp heard George M. Holt, probation officer, give his testimony. The defense took advantage of its right to reserve its statement until the state shall have finished with its witnesses.

Holt gave his age as 46, his address as 3027 East Nineteenth street and his occupation as probation officer. At noon of the riot, he said, he saw Mrs. Sharp and the children of Louis Pratt singing on the street at that point. He watched them about five minutes, when they started north on Main. Mrs. Sharp, during the meeting, was inviting the public to a gathering at the Workingmen's mission that night. There was a hat on the sidewalk and coin in it. Mrs. Sharp took the hat.

"I followed the band and inquired about whose children they were," said Mr. Holt. "She went into the Workingmen's Mission and I followed about a minute later. Sharp was there talking to his wife when I came in.

"I asked him if this was his wife and children and he said yes. He told me he was Adam God, the father of Jesus Christ."

Hot told Sharp that he would have to keep the children off the streets if he meant to keep them in Kansas City.


" 'What authority have you?' Sharp asked me.

" 'I am an officer,' said I.

" 'Well, you blue coated -----,' said Sharp, 'I'll kill you or any other ----- blue coat that comes in here and interferes with my work in this city.'

"Immediately afterwards, Sharp pulled out a pistol from under his vest. Louis Pratt, who also was there, pulled out a revolver and so did Mrs. Sharp. Her husband put his pistol under my face and forced me out of the mission and as I went out hit me on the head. He called to someone to come out. Then I went to the police station to report. Before I had finished reporting, the shooting had begun."

"What part of the shooting did you see?" asked Mr. Conkling.

"All I saw was someone in the chief's office shooting at Louis Pratt, who was on his knees on the street. Pratt fell."

"How long did the shooting last?"

"Less than five minutes. About twenty-five or thirty shots were fired."


The Rev. Sherman Short of Clarence, Mo., was at Fifth and Main streets when he heard the children sing and stepped up close enough to hear Mrs. Sharp say:

"The prophet will preach tonight at the Workingmen's mission."

Dr. Short testified yesterday that his curiosity was aroused.

"I went up to the mission and there was Sharp," said Dr. Short. "I asked him if he was the prophet and he said:

" 'My name is Sharp. I am supposed to be King David in the spirit. I am the Lord of the Vineyard myself and the people will soon find it out, for I expect to revolutionize things around here.' "

"Did he talk to you about force or violence?" asked Mr. Conkling.


"What happened then?"

"While we were talking the Pratt children and came in and said to Sharp: 'The humane officer is after us.' Then Holt came in and asked Sharp if these were his children. Sharp said yes and Holt told him they would have to be kept off the streets, if Sharp proposed to remain in Kansas City. I saw Sharp hit Holt and put him out of the mission. I saw him have a knife and a revolver.

"Sharp then waved his revolver and called out: 'Come on, children!' Mrs. Sharp and Louis Pratt and the two oldest Pratt girls all took out revolvers. They went on the street and formed a circle, facing the west sidewalk on Main."

"What did you do?"

"I went to the police station. I saw police coming out of headquarters. Patrolman Dalbow shook hands with Sharp and they stood there a minute. Then some other man came up. He was in citizen's clothes and he pulled out a revolver. Then there was shooting."


"Who fired the first shot?"

"Louis Pratt."

"And then what did you see?"

"I didn't stay long after that. I ran across the street. As I turned around I saw a man lying on the car track, shot. I learned afterwards that it was A. J. Selsor. Later I saw Mrs. Sharp and one of the Pratt girls brought into the station.

"When they formed their circle in the street Sharp, his wife, Pratt and the two oldest Pratt girls had revolvers in their hands. Sharp also had a knife."

Mayor Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., said that he was in a council chamber on the fourth floor of the city hall when the riot began. He saw Louis Pratt kneeling, steadying his aim with both arms, shooting at Mullane. There was a little girl near Pratt, holding toward him a revolver, loaded with fresh cartridges. The mayor saw Pratt fall over, as if shot. Then the mayor went downstairs to police headquarters and out on the street.

"My purpose of going towards the river was that I had heard talk of lynching and wanted such an action to be avoided," said the mayor in explanation. He was not allowed to tell what happened at the river front.


Mrs. Hannah Mullane, weeping quietly on the witness stand, told how her husband had left home on the morning of December 8, 1908, at 6 o'clock, in good health. Mullane died Decemberr 10, two days after the riot.

There was some delay when court opened in the afternoon, while attachments were served on physicians who were state's witnesses, but who failed to be on hand at the proper time.

Dr. William A. Shelton, 3305 Wabash avenue, was the second witness. He is a police surgeon. On the day of the riot he was called to treat Mullane at the city hall and later attended him at St. Joseph's hospital. Mullane, he said, had a bullet wound through his left hand and one through his chest just above the heart. The latter bullet struck Mullane in the back. Dr. Shelton probed for it, but could not locate it. He finally found the bullet on the operating table. The bullet was shown to the jury over objections of Sharp's attorneys.

Dr. Eugene King, surgeon at St. Joseph's hospital, examined Mullane at police headquarters and at the hospital. He testified as to the wounds and said he found the bullet in the patorlman's underclothing on the operating table. The course of the ball, he said, was from front to back. Dr. Shelton came from in a few minutes later, said Dr. King.


The dramatic incident of the morning session yesterday occurred while Mr. Conkling, in his opening statement, was arraigning Sharp as a religious grafter. While the prosecutor was in the middle of the sentence, Sharp jumped up and said:

"Your honor, these words this man speaks he will have to get witnesses to prove."

"Sit down, Mr. Sharp," said Judge Latshaw. "If you have any objections to make, do so through your counsel."

"I want this jury to hear the truth," persisted Sharp. "I didn't take up collections at my meetings."

Then sharp started to leave the court room but was brought back by a deputy marshal.

A short time afterwards, while Mr. Conkling was telling of the death of Patrolman Albert O. Dalbow, Mrs. Dalbow fainted and was carried from the courtroom. With her were a son, 8 years old, and a baby of fourteen months. She sat near the jury, close to a son and daughter of A. J. Selsor, who was killed in the riot.

Before Conkling began his address to the jury, there were brought into the courtroom gruesome reminders of the December tragedy. A rifle used by Mrs. Pratt in her fight on the river when she, with her daughters, Lena and Lulu, tried to escape. Lulu was killed by bullets fired from the bank. Then there were five revolvers, Sharp's large knife and ammunition. Also there was a shotgun and a rifle found in the houseboat of the band. the whiskers Sharp left in the Mulberry street barber shop, neatly garnered into an envelope, also were put on the table in plain view of the jury. In the afternoon the display of weapons was removed.


With a changed plea, it is not so certain now that Adam God will be put on the witness stand. It was the first intention to make him back up the plea of insanity, but with a changed method of attack, this plan may be altered. Sharp is firm in declaring that he will be a witness, and as he seems at times to be not under the control of his counsel, he may make his statement before the evidence closes.

The riot of December 8, it will be remembered, occurred on the northwest corner of the city hall. There were wounded and subsequently died the following: Albert O. Dalbow and Michael Mullane, patrolmen; A. J. Selson, a spectator; Louis Pratt, a member of the religious band. Patrick Clark, a sergeant of police, was slashed on the face by Sharp and lost his right eye.

The trial will be resumed this morning.

At yesterday's trial the bible, which is his constant companion, lay on the table before Sharp, who sat facing the east windows, and therefore with his profile to the audience. From time to time he glanced curiously about him, but if it was with an y emotion, the feeling was not depicted by expression. Most of the time he sat with hands folded, elbows close to his side. Occasionally he stroked his beard or with his fingers combed tangles from his long moustache.


Not an any trial since Judge Ralph S. Latshaw has taken his place has there been such a throng to see a trial. Not only all the chairs in the courtroom, but also the aisles, already narrowed by extra seats, held their capacity. Conspicuous among the number were a dozen or more well dressed women, who followed every step of the proceedings with interest. Among these was Miss Selsor, daughter of A. J. Selsor, killed in the riot. As the day wore on the crowd tended to increase rather than diminish.

The orderly quiet of it all was not lost on Adam God. Accustomed for years to rough treatment from crowds and officers of the peace, he seemed to feel the different attitude of the spectators in the court room where he is on trial for his life. Defiance of the law and its officers seemed to have passed from his mind, leaving him although perhaps not resigned to his fate, yet with the feeling that he was among those who meant to treat him fairly. At noon he told the deputy marshal who took him to his cell:

"That's a fine judge. He certainly will see that I get a fair trial."

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

March 18, 1909



Unusual Occurrence at Humane So-
ciety Headquarters -- Couple Told
to Think of Child and
Bear and Forebear.

Wives with grievances against their husbands for non-support or for the late hours with "sick friends," generally go to the city hall and tell their troubles to the Humane Society.

The little room at the northwest corner of city hall on the second floor is always crowded with men and women who have come to pour their tales of distress into the patient cares of Mrs. Frank McCrary and W. H. Gibbens, Humane agents. But yesterday, an incident occurred which will long be remembered by the Humane Society.

"You know that you haven't given me a cent in two weeks," exclaimed a woman, as she went through the door with her husband, who was carrying an infant in his arms.


"I do my best," said the man apologetically to Mr. Gibbens, "but she is always picking on me. She won't let me have a minute's rest."

"You don't support me and the children," she retorted angrily.

A neatly dressed woman who was listening to the conversation walked over to the couple.

"I don't want to assume too much interest in your affairs," she said, "but I think you are both wrong. Neither will give in to the other. You owe it to the child there in your lap to live a different life. You owe it to you Maker to be patient with each other. Instead of separation, you should talk about the future. Now let's get down on our knees and ask the Lord to help us."

The man and woman, as their adviser knelt in front of her chair, knelt also. A minute later both were crying softly as she prayed fervently for their happiness.


The door into the hall was open, and down the corridor several men were waiting till the police board would commence its weekly session. At last the woman's voice became loud enough for the words to be distinguished, and instinctively many of the men removed their hats and stood in silence.

At last the prayer was over, and as the three arose tears of gladness were in the eyes of the man and wife.

They kissed each other and left the room apparently reconciled. Both were weeping.

"It has been a long time since I've heard a prayer up here," said Mr. Gibbens. "If all the domestic troubles were cured that easy, I think we ought to try it."

Out in the hall the crowd of men replaced their hats, but for a long time, a stillness reigned. The prayer in the police station had had its result.

"I was only doing my duty," said the little woman to the Humane officer.

Labels: , , ,

February 24, 1909


Pardon and Parole Board Takes Offi-
cial Cognizance of Conditions
at City Hall.

Unsanitary, filled with vermin and a disgrace to the city, are a few of the things said about the holdover at police headquarters in the report of the secretary of the board of pardons and paroles, which report was made on motion of Jacob Billikopf. Frank E. McCrary, the secretary, investigated the condition of the holdover.

The jail for men is situated in the cellar and is a breeding place for disease, the report says. The room in which prisoners are held while waiting for their cases to be called in the municipal court, the report continues, is too small and not well ventilated, the foul air making it very offensive in the court room.

Captain Whitsett is quoted as saying that all prisoners arrested by the uniformed police are only held until the following morning, while those arrested by the detectives, or secret branch, are held longer. One case brought to the attention of the board was that of witnesses against Dr. Harrison Webber, accused of selling cocaine and having $8,000 in fines against him. Dr. Webber is detained in the matron's room, while two witnesses who bought the drug from him are being held in the holdover. They have been there now over twenty days. The three are being held as witnesses against members of a medical company.

While the board admitted its inability to remedy the unsanitary condition of the holdover, they suggested that even public buildings came within the jurisdiction of the tenement commission. The Humane Society will be asked to investigate the sanitary conditions, and, if possible, have them improved.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

December 28, 1908


Physicians Have Been Called to
Explain Complaints Lodged
Against Management.

Physicians will be called before the juvenile court this morning to tell the court what they know about the conduct of St. Anthony's Home for Infants. For some time there has been complaints lodged against the home by physicians and Humane agents.

Mrs. Mary Workman, matron, said last night that the hospital was conducted in a first-class manner and that no just complaint could be made against it. She admitted that the babies did not receive sufficient exercise, because of the lack of nurses to give them proper handling.

Physicians connected with the city health and hospital board have objected for a long time to the manner in which the death certificates were sent in by the hospital authorities. Other physicians who have been connected with the staff have resigned, their excuse for resigning being that the nurses at the hospital failed to follow instructions given regarding treatment of the children.

The investigation to be had before the juvenile court this morning is to compel a change in the management of the home. Mrs. Richard Keith, who is interested in the home, said last night that the home was conducted in a first-class manner and that she approved of the present management.

Labels: , , ,

December 22, 1908


A. Judah's Gift to the Children Will
Be Distrubted From Different
Charities Today.

Manager A. Judah of the Grand has invited the poor children of the city to a matinee performance by Corinne and her company tomorrow afternoon. The entertainment is being given in connection with the Christmas tree, and Manager Judah promises a surprise for the little ones who will be his guests for the afternoon. Admission will be by ticket, and the distribution of tickets will begin today, in charge of the following charitable organizations:

Associated Charities, 1115 Charlotte street (will also distribute tickets among colored population); Institutional church, Admiral boulevard and Holmes street; Helping Hand, 408 Main street; Franklin institute, Nineteenth and McGee streets; Grace hall, 415 West Thirteenth street; Humane Society, city hall, second floor; United Jewish Charities, 1702 Locust street; Italian Charities, offices with Associated Charities; juvenile court, county court house; Bethel mission, 43 North First street, Kansas City, Kas; Catholic Ladies' Aid Society, Eighth and Cherry, St. Patrick's hall.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

December 12, 1908


Mrs. Della Pratt Declares That She
Is Not Inhuman -- Wards of
Juvenile Court.

With all their peculiarities, their odd beliefs, seeming to make them so unlike other people, the Pratt family became intensely human yesterday afternoon when the hour came for mother and children to part -- perhaps forever.

The parting came about 8 o'clock yesterday afternoon. Mrs. Pratt was in the matron's room, surrounded by her remaining flock, Lena, 12; Mary, 11; Dewey, 8, and Edna, 4 years old. She was talking of the future for her little ones, who were playing about the matron's room. She had just finished speaking of the riot of Tuesday, which she said she heartily condemned.

"I want to send my children to school now," she said. "I want them to have an education and be like other people."

"I want to start tomorrow," spoke up little Mary, the brightest one of the lot. "Della, can't I begin tomorrow? I want to learn to read and write." Mrs. Pratt's children all call her by her first name, Della.

"I want to learn, too," interposed Dewey.

"Me too," spoke up Edna, the baby, Lena, the one who took a leading hand in the riot, said nothing. She was leaning with her elbows on the window sill looking wistfully into the street.


"I wish you could all start right now and me with you," said Mrs. Pratt. "If I had had an education I never would have been a follower of a man with such an insane belief."

Just as she finished speaking Captain Walter Whitsett entered the room, followed by George M. Holt, the probation officer over whom the trouble of Tuesday started.

"Come on children," said the captain, "I am going to take you down stairs."

The children started out of the room, when the captain added, "Get your wraps."

"Why take their wraps?" spoke up Mrs. Pratt, a pained expression on her face. The captain said something about "just taking them downstairs" but the mother, who appears to have a great deal of love for her children, seemed to realize that the hour of separation had come. Her eyes were still suffused with tears as she had been softly weeping ever since she looked upon the face of her dead child, Lulu, at the undertaker's only a few hours previous. Tears started afresh as she gathered her little flock about her.

"Don't take them away from me. Don't do that," she pleaded. "I prayed all night this would not happen, yet something told me it would. I have had all the grief I can bear, it seemed, but this is even greater than the rest.

"What h as happened may cause people to think that I am inhuman, that I am not like the rest. But I am. I love these children; they are all I have now and you are going to take them from me. Let me go with them, even be near them where I can hear the sounds of their voices. Let me do that, please do."


Little Dewey was the first to shed tears as he clung tightly to his mother's skirts. Edna wept because he did, and Mary, her face wet with tears, said comfortingly, "We are just going downstairs, Della; we'll all be back. The man said so."

"Good care, the best of care, will be taken of them," said the captain as eh drew the children gently from the mother's grasp and started out of the room. Once more the frail little woman interposed. "Let me kiss them," she wailed. "I know this is the last I will see of them on earth." She kissed them passionately, one by one. Lena, the oldest, was mute, but choked back a sob as she left her mother's arms.

"We'll all be good, Della," called back Mary, "awfully good, and then maybe we'll all go to school and you can be with us -- if we are good."

The little ones were walked to the detention home, a large crowd following. Until they were landed there Mary, who always acts as spokesman, believed that they were to be taken back to their mother.

"Let me go back with you and tell Della that we are all right over here in a big house," she begged. "I think I ought to do it. She will worry so if she don't know where we are." Her request was not granted.

The children will be disposed of later by the juvenile court.

Labels: , , , , , ,

November 27, 1908


Humane Society Secretary Favors
One at the Junction.

To the Journal:
I am glad to see that the long talked of public comfort station seems in a fair way to become a certainty; also that a statue, or ornament of some kind will probably be placed at the Junction. This is a very favorable location for something of that kind, as it could be seen for several blocks from east, west and south. The ornament should, therefore, be imposing and significant.

In connection with the station and ornament there should also be placed in the vicinity of the Junction, and close on the sidewalk, a drinking fountain, for persons only, where the thirsty, at all times, day or night, might obtain a cool refreshing drink of pure water. This fountain should be placed so as to be accessible from the sidewalk, at proper distance from the station, and arranged so as to drain through it. The two fountains erected by the Humane Society, one at Fourth and Broadway, the other at the western terminus of our great intercity viaduct, are proving great conveniences for horses and dogs. Now let the city do as well for thirsty humans, as this seems a favorable opportunity. -- F. M. FURGASON, Secretary Humane Society

Labels: , , , ,

November 13, 1908


Humane Officer Tells What He Does
Every Day of the Year.

Now that the summer months have ended the Humane officers are spending most of their time in the downtown districts where hauling and traffic are heaviest. Though the attention of the Humane officers is directed mostly to horses which are being overloaded or driven while sick and lame, a good deal is done by them to relieve suffering of humanity of all kinds. In telling of one day's work W. H. Gibbens, field agent of the society, said:

"One morning in the North End, I required five double-ups of overloaded teams, sent four horses to the shops for rough shoes, took one poor old horse out of harness and put an end to its misery by humanely destroying it, shot two maimed dogs and sent one horse to the hospital. Then I went to the municipal court and satisfactorily prosecuted a case, settled a family row and sent a sick boy to his home in Cincinnati."

Such is the kind of work which the Humane Society is doing in Kansas City. According to Mr. Gibbens the summer months passed without there being any flagrant case of cold-hearted brutality, but there was a great deal of cruelty to animals due to the desire to work them for every cent they could make and every pound they could carry.

Labels: , ,

October 25, 1908


Humane Society Steps in and Cares
for a Freak.

During the American Royal stock sh ow two weeks ago a man had on exhibition a calf born without any fore legs. What became of the man is not known, but the helpless animal, all doubled up in a cracker box, was found beneath the viaduct at Eighth and Main streets yesterday morning. The owner evidently intended to place it on exhibition there, but he will have a hard time doing so now as W. H. Gibbens, field agent for the Humane Society, took charge of the calf and sent it to the veterinary college hospital on East Fifteenth street.

How long the little animal had been there without food or water is not known. The attention of Mr. Gibbens was drawn to it by business men in the vicinity. Mr. Gibbens tried to locate the owner of the beast but could not do so.

The attention of the Humane Society was called to another incident yesterday which Mr. Gibbens said he would put a stop to. It appears that a Vine street druggist is the possessor of two great boa constrictors. They are kept in his front window in full view of the public and frequently fed on live chickens and rabbits.

To witness the feeding of the snakes it is said many small children and women gather. Mr. Gibbens said the druggist would be requested not to feed the snakes in public.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

October 12, 1908


Took It For Catarrh and Acquired
the Habit -- Took Many
Bottles a Week.

Following the crusade against cocaine drug stores the Humane authorities are reaching out after the patent medicines that contain the drug. Ever since the confession of Willie Smith, the 15-year-old messenger boy who was sent to the reform school to be cured, the authorities have been flooded with information about youthful cocaine fiends.

Now they are working on a case of a boy who is a physical and mental wreck from using a patent medicine which compound contains alcohol and cocaine. The boy was taken to the office of F. E. McCrary, Humane agent, Saturday afternoon and questioned. He was believed to be a cocaine fiend, but in his confession to Mr. McCrary he said he only indulged in "Crown." When asked what "Crown" was, he said a patent medicine for catarrh. The boy said that he first used the medicine for medicinal purposes and after using three bottles had acquired a taste for the medicine that was ravenous.

Week by week the boy increased the number of bottles he purchased and drank until his system rebelled and he began to lose flesh. His father and mother found it impossible to make him stop using the patent medicine and a druggist refused to sell him any more. Then he changed his place of procuring the medicine, and to avoid suspicion had other boys buy the bottles for him.

Humane agent McCrary said yesterday that his office was investigating the boy's story and intended to put a stop to the sale of all drugs containing cocaine in large quantities if such a thing was possible. He said if enough evidence could be secured against the proprietors of the drug stores which sold the cocaine compounds to boys to warrant their arrest he would swear out the complaints. According to the Humane authorities and physicians at the city hospital there is as much danger in using patent medicines containing cocaine as in snuffing "coke."

Labels: , ,

September 29, 1908


Humane and Juvenile Court Officers
Will Assist in Crusade.

Following the story told by Willie Smith, a cocaine victim at the tender age of 15, the prosecuting attorney is preparing to file information against the druggists who are said to have made sales to the boy. The humane officer and the juvenile court officers are assisting in the crusade to break up the sale of the drug to minors. The sales are largest in the poorer districts of the city.

Labels: , , ,

September 26, 1908


Probation Officer Saw Father Give
Beer to the Child.

Judge, probation officers and spectators were shocked at the evidence produced in the juvenile court yesterday in the case of Floyd Hardman. Floyd is a yellow haired youngster of four summers whom Probation Officer William Emmett found at Fourteenth street and Grand avenue in a drunken stupor. Emmett informed the court that the Humane Society had been told about the boy and one day he sat in an office window and watched the father and two other men buy beer in a bucket and give it to the baby to drink from first. He said the boy spent his time on the corner cursing people who passed. The father was fined $5 in police court for giving the boy beer to drink.

Mrs. Hardman said she was married in 1902 and did not know her husband drank or allowed the boy to drink. She said she allowed the boy to go on the moving van with his father becasue she believed it to be healthful for the child. She was ordered to keep him at home. Judge McCune informed her that small children were like sponges and absorbed everything around tehm and that her child evidently absorbed too much beer.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

September 25, 1908


Burdened by Flesh Miss Knox Be-
comes a Ward of the City.

"Suffering from an abundance of superfluous adipose tissue."

This is the diagnosis of the emergency hospital physicians in the case of Miss Mary Knox, 44 years old, five feet five inches tall, weighing 350 pounds. Miss Knox lives alone near St. Louis avenue and the State Line.

The woman's case was brought to the attention of the police at No. 2 station late yesterday afternoon. It was said that she was helpless, penniless and really a fit subject for the county home. The patrol wagon took Miss Knox to the emergency hospital, where, after a thorough examination, the foregoing diagnosis was agreed upon.

"It is an odd case," said Dr. W. L. Gist. "Miss Knox is too fat to walk without assistance, as she would fall if she encountered the least obstruction. Then when she is down she can't arise without help. The police say neighbors have been caring for the helpless woman for some time."

Her case will be referred to the Humane Society today and an effort made to get her in the county home. Ten years ago Miss Knox is said to have been as lithe and slender as a gazelle. When she began to take on flesh, no manner of dieting made any difference; she was destined to become very corpulent, and very corpulent she did become.

"This is one thing that scientists have not solved," said Dr. Gist. "People who are destined to be fat will gain weight in spite of all one can do, and, on the other hand, the slim tribe will remain shadows on a diet of fat-producing foods."

Labels: , , , , , ,

September 22, 1908



Slayer Commits Suicide -- Ernest Lee
Was Living With His 15-Year-Old
Sister-in-Law, With Whom He
Had Fled From Oklahoma.

Martin McDonald, marshal of the North division of the city court, Kansas City, Kas., was shot to death yesterday, sortly after 12 o'clock, by Ernest Lee, wanted at Tulsa, Ok., for eloping with his 15-year-old sister-in-law, Goldie Johnson. The killing took place in a boarding house, Third street and Shawnee avenue, while the officer of the court was reading a state warrant commanding his arrest. The murder was witnessed by Humane Officer Festus Foster, who had accompanied Marshal McDonald, and Miss Johnson, the young girl with whom Lee had eloped. After a desperate struggle with Officer Foster, Lee succeeded in freeing himself, and, placing the muzzle of the same revolver against his forehead, pulled the trigger, sending a bullet through his own brain. He was removed to Bethany hospital, where he died a few minutes after 2 o'clock.


Marshal McDonald fell dead at the first shot, the bullet passing through his heart. He fell with his own revolver in his hand, having drawn it at the time that Lee reached for his weapon, which was in a bureau drawer. McDonald apparently realized Lee's intentions and commanded him not toput his hands on the revolver. Even after he had the weapon in his hands McDonald refused to shoot, but again commanded him to drop the gun. Instead he whirled around to face the officer, pulling the trigger of his revolver at the same time. McDonald fell instantly. Humane Officer Foster rushed upon Lee and a hand to hand struggle ensued. Lee's revolver, which was a 38-caliber automatic, was taken from him by Foster, but he succeeded in getting hold of the dead officer's revolver. Foster attempted to use the automatic gun, but being unaccustomed to the new firearm, was unable to discharge it. Lee, taking advantage of the situation, clinched with Foster and beat him over the head with McDonald's gun. He finally recovered possession of his own weapon and while Foster was lying bleeding on the floor placed the gun to his head and fired.


From the evidence obtained by Coronor J. A. Davis at the autopsy held over the two bodies in the afternoon, it seems that Lee had been living at the Shawnee avenue address for the past five weeks, or from the time that he and his girl sister-in-law came here from Oklahoma. From the time he landed here he went under the name of C. E. Lewis. His first imployment was at the Schwarzschild & Sulzberger packing house. For the past week or two he had been engaged in cleaning cellars in the flood district. Sunday night Mrs. Jennie Johnson of Kingfisher, Ok., mother of the girl, came to the city and stopped overnight at the home of her nephew, a Mr. Cathcart, who lives in Argentine, and who had previously located the runaway couple. Yesterday morning Mrs. Johnson went before County Attorney Joseph Taggart and caused a state warrant to be issued for the arrest of her son-in-law, who deserted one of her daughters to run off with another, the latter being a mere child.

After the double killing Miss Johnson was taken into custody by Humane Officer Foster and taken before Judge Van B. Prather of the juvenile court. She will be held as a ward of the court until after the inquest, which probably will be held today, after which she will be turned over to her mother and taken back to the family home at Kingfisher. While in the juvenile court room Miss Johnson made the following statement.


"My sister, Grace, and Lee were married about four years ago, one child being born to them. They lived on a ranch near Kingfisher. They had frequent quarrels, but not serious. About six weeks ago I accompanied my father, Lacy Johnson, from Kingfisher to Tulsa, where we visited Miss Carrie Berry, sister of Mr. Lee. He was there at the time. One night Lee and my father went up town, leaving me with Lee's sister. She went to call on a neighbor, leaving me alone in the house. Lee returned to the house and, finding me alone, threatened to kill me and all of the family if I refused to run away with him. We left that night and caught a train for Kansas City. We have since been living as man and wife here. He has treated me kindly, but I want to go back home to my parents."

When asked when Lee first commenced to make love to her, Miss Johnson said that he never exactly made love to her, but said that he liked her better than her sister, to whom he was married. She said that she never loved him, but was afraid of him. Lacy Johnson, the girl's father, is sick at his home in Kingfisher, and is not expected to live.

Labels: , , , ,

June 15, 1908


Big Catch of Kansas City Boys In a
Louisiana Swamp.

Five Kansas City boys had quite an exciting experience in the Louisiana Swamps about a week ago with a nine-foot alligator, which they finally subdued, lassoed, dragged to a log car and wheeled it into camp ten miles away. Now they have it penned up at the camp, Carson, La. If they can get the railroad to "deadhead" it to Kansas City, they are willing to donate it to the Swope Park zoo as the nucleus for an alligator colony.

Fred Cutler, Charles Gibbens, Walter Sergeant, Peter Burn, and "Bud" Nichols are the boys who throttled the "gaiter." They have been down at Carson, La., learning the lumber business. Recently they have been felling trees in the forest about Carson. They boys were out some ways from the log car railroad, just rambling through the forest seeing what they could find. Suddenly young Cutler stepped upon what he believed was an old log. It moved, however, and so did Cutler. Gibbens, who was close behind and was just in the act of stepping onto the "log," felt the swish of the "log's" tail. Then the howl went up -- "It's an alligator. Run. Chase yourself. He's a fierce one."

When the boys had removed themselves to a safe distance, and they saw that the alligator had again become calm, they grew bold and began to figure on the capture of "big game." Many plans were suggested but all were argued down as not practical. When lassoing the pachyderm was suggested it was at first laughed at. But the one who suggested it insisted, and in a short time he was on hand with a rope, on the end of which he had arranged a lasso.

Then the question of how to throw the rope came into question. Noises were made so the alligator would stick up his head, and the rope was thrown. Many times it missed but after several trials, the rope-thrower made a hit. All hands and the cook then dragged the monster up to a tree and held it fast until another rope could be placed over the head. Knots in both ropes kept them from slipping down and choking the animal.

Then the march to the log car began. Two men had a rope on one side and two on the other. That was to keep the alligator from making a dash at anyone and compelling him to climb a tree. If it started toward the two on the left the two on the right would stop its progress with a yank. The fifth boy was kept busy teasing the animal from the rear to prevent its taking a seat and refusing to go. After a long and tedious pull the boys got the monster to the log car, loaded it successfully and gave it a swift railroad ride into camp -- but it was tightly roped to the car. In camp they built a pen of stout lumber, and Mr. Alligator is there now, sunning himself and anxiously awaiting free transportation to Kansas City.

Fred Cutler is a son of Dr. W. P. Cutler, pure food inspector, and Charles Gibbens is the son of W. H. Gibbens, field agent for the Humane Society. All of the boys live here, however.

Labels: , , ,

June 11, 1908


B. F. Scott Said to Have Beaten Wife
on Day of His Release.

Several days ago Mayor Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., pardoned from the workhouse a man named B. F. Scott. Scott had been sent there May 5 to serve out a $500 fine -- one year -- for abusing his wife.

According to F. E. McCrary, Humane agent, the minute Scott was released he began a search for his wife. Finding her at 2811 North Freeman avenue, Kansas City, Kas., Scott is reported to have immediately raised trouble. He is said to have whipped his wife and assaulted Miss Daisy Rody, his niece. Both the wife and niece are reported to have been severely bruised and beaten. Then Scott, so it is said, grabbed his infant child and fled.

Yesterday afternoon Andrew Cole, a Humane officer from this side, went to Kansas City, Kas., and with W. W. Lacy, a truant officer, arrested Scott. They say he will not tell what became of the child. He was arrested at the wife's home, and the officers said she begged that he not be harmed.

Labels: , , , , , ,

May 21, 1908


"The Little Blue Jay" Will Go
Around After June 1.

" 'The Little Blue Jay' is being put in readiness for its periodical trip about the city to gather in dogs on which the required license has not been paid," observed Captain James Kennedy, dog enumerator, yesterday. "Licenses are due on June 1. The rates are $1.50 for male and $3 for female dogs."

Yesterday Captain Kennedy appointed fourteen deputies to assist in the enumeration of the dog census. Every ward in the city will be visited, and under the ordinance, people must give the exact number of dogs they are harboring and pay license on them. The Humane Society is co-operating with Captain Kennedy in the enforcement of the law.

Labels: , ,

April 17, 1908



Ten years Ago She Placed 7-Year-Old
Susie in Care of R. L. Martin
and Wife, and Hasn't
Seen Her Since.

The death of her husband ten years ago, followed by adverse circumstances, caused Mrs. Florence Scott, then living with her four children at 1823 1/2 Main street, to dispose of one of her children, Susie, who was then just 7 years old. Through Mrs. Mollie Lee, who was police matron at that time, the little girl was given to Mr. and Mrs. R. L. Martin, said to be from Maryville, Mo.

Mrs. Scott called yesterday on Mrs. Lizzie Burns, one of the present matrons. The mother love is strong in Mrs. Scott and she wants to see her daughter, who now should be 17 years old. She told Mrs. Burns of the struggle after her husband's death and how Mrs. Lee had advised her to dispose of one of the children.

"After I had agreed," said Mrs. Scott, "Mr. and Mrs. Martin were sent to see me. They took Susie away, and from that day to this I have never heard one word of her. No papers were signed by me, therefore she could not have been adopted."

Through her tears Mrs. Scott said yesterday that she did not intend to take Susie away from her present home. All she wanted was to see her child, saying she did not wish her daughter to be taken clear out of her life.

Soon after her little girl was taken from her Mrs. Scott wrote to Maryville, Mo., to "R. L. Martin," but her letter was returned unopened. Then she appealed to the chief of police, but said no effort was made to locate her offspring.

Some years later Mrs. Scott said she went to Mrs. Patti Moore who was police matron at that time. Mrs. Moore, she said, looked up the records for her and found that the child had been given to the Martins of Maryville, Mo., but further than that nothing was of record. Mrs. Moore gave Mrs. Scott a picture of her little girl which had been received from the Martins. The edges of the portrait, Mrs. Scott says, were torn off to destroy the name of the photographer or any information it might bear.

Still imbued with an insatiate desire to see her child, Mrs. Scott two years ago took the matter up with F. E. McCrary, then a juvenile court officer but now Humane agent. McCrary's investigations, she said, developed the same facts -- that the child had been given to the Martins of Maryville, Mo. She said, however, that she was told that McCrary had written and found that R. L. Martin was a restaurant keeper of Maryville. Taking heart anew she wrote a letter to the restaurant man but, like all the others, it was returned unopened. Mrs. Scott's desire to see her child at times becomes so great that it is almost a mania, causing her to lose sleep and worry greatly.

"It seems funny to me that the police cannot tell me where my little girl has gone," she said. "It looks very much like they have been holding back information from me for all these ten miserable years. The martins have no adoption papers and never have had. It is not my intention to try to take Susie from them. She is my baby, my own flesh and blood, and I only want to see her; to talk with her and see how she is getting on.

"All of my other children are now grown up and away from me, but I know where they are."

At present Mrs. Scott is living at the home of Mrs. J. Barker, 1303 Wabash avenue. This time she will make an extraordinary effort to find her now almost grown daughter.

Labels: , , ,

April 11, 1908


Poverty-Stricken Woman Will Be
Cared for by Charity.

When house movers appeared on the scene to move a large two-story frame building at 1818 Cherry street yesterday afternoon, they found one of the lower rooms occupied by a woman. As notice had been served some time ago on the occupants, the woman, with her scant belongings, was moved into the street and the work of moving went on.

The woman, Mrs. Ella Allair, 53 years old, was at once looked after by W. H. Gibbens of the Humane Society and removed to the matron's room at police headquarters. Her case will be looked after by the Associated Charities. Peter Allair, her husband, 71 years old, is at present an inmate of the general hospital. The woman said that she would have moved when the notice was given, but she had no money.

Labels: , , ,

April 9, 1908



Slept in a Zinc Lined Wagon Bed,
Which Was Also Her Bath Tub.
Widow of Dr. A. P. Reed of
Raytown -- Disappears.

"Sixty-five years old, tall, slender and of stately bearing. Has gray
eyes and gray hair. She wore a long black jacket buttoned down the side
and a black skirt. Around her neck she wore a black and white spotted
handkerchief. She had on a lavender colored hat covered with a heavy
veil. In her left hand she carries a dark tan chatelaine and over her
right arm she carries a raincoat. Beneath her woman's attire will be found
man's underwear, a pair of man's trousers -- rolled up -- and a vest. She
also wore a pair of man's slippers and white socks."

The foregoing description was given to the police late yesterday afternoon as that of Mrs. Olive Reed of 1240 Penn street, widow of Dr. A. P. Reed, who was shot and killed on his farm near Raytown, Mo., in March, 1907, by William Robertson, a neighbor. Mrs. Reed was served with papers yesterday morning ordering her appearance before the probate court at 2 p. m., where inquiry was to be made into her sanity.

Shortly after a sheriff had served the papers Mrs. Reed dressed as described and left the house, after giving the key to her basement rooms to Mrs. A. D. Miller, from whom she rented.

"Those people out there are still nagging at me all the time," she told Mrs. Miller, "and now they have got me into trouble again. Here's the key to my rooms. Take good care of my little pony down there, as my heart and soul are set on it. Feed and care for my dog, too. If I don't come back you will get money from my lawyer, W. R. Moore, in the Scarritt building, for feed, and keep on caring for my things."


When court opened at 2 p.m. Mrs. Reed was not present, but there were nearly a dozen witnesses from Raytown and here in the city to tell of her many peculiarities, and she was declared insane by a jury. W. H. Gibbens, a Humane officer who has had the case in charge, then took up the matter with the police in an effort to locate the missing woman.

Mrs. A. D. Miller of 1240 Penn street said that Mrs. Reed moved into her basement December 12 last, and that she had not seen a peaceful day or night since. Believing that she was being constantly pursued, Mrs. Reed boarded up all the windows leading into her basement rooms and then went outside and piled agaisnt the windows all the rubbish she could find.

Her bed in the basement was a wagon bed, lined with zinc and filled with mattresses and bed clothing. In that the demented woman slept without ever taking off her combination of man's and woman's attire. To the zinc-lined wagon bed Mrs. Reed had a top made, also covered with zinc. Mrs. Miller said Mrs. Reed dragged the wagon bed to a tin shop several blocks away to have the work done. Her object, she told, was that the wagon bed might be used as her coffin after she was dead. The wagon bed is on a small truck so that it may be moved about the crowded room.

In the basement room with Mrs. Reed was a crippled Mexican dog, which she kept constantly covered up in a box, and a bay and white spotted pony about three feet high, over which was tied a blanket.


'I never saw the pony until last Friday," said Mrs. Miller. "Then she came leading it in the back way to her rooms. She paid $135 for it, and what she's going to do with it the Lord only knows. In a small back room she has a cart five times too big for the little pony, which she paid $25 for. I don't know how she got it in there. I didn't see her. She also uses that wagon bed for a bath tub in the summer, she said."

In Mrs. Reed's "apartments" is the largest assortment of worthless junk ever seen in so small a space. Yet the woman paid to have it all moved in from Raytown. She has tin pans, tin cans, broken glass jars, pieces of rusty screening, rags galore and everything that might be seen in a box out behind a woodshed. She would not part with a single article.

In the room with the combination wagon bed-bed-bath tub is an old piano tightly locked. The back of the piano is nailed up and parts locked with padlocks -- "to keep mice and rats out," she said. During the "dreary, weary watches of the night" Mrs. Reed was wont to open her piano and run the scale with irregular time over and over again. All the while she would quarrel with imaginary persons about the cost of the instrument and whether or not it was paid for.


There was a heater and also a gas stove for cooking purposes in the basement rooms. Although they were the property of Mrs. Miller, Mrs. Reed disconnected both and sold them to a second-had dealer. Then she built a fire in a tin bucket in the middle of the floor, filling the whole house with smoke and alarming the inmates.

Mrs. Miller said that she believed the demented woman went to a bank yesterday and withdrew a sum of money from a safe deposit vault. Mrs. Reed never got any mail, Mrs. Miller said, and never had a caller, yet she was prepared for both -- outside the door. Hanging high up on her door was a mail box; on a slate by the door are these directions:

"Leave your messages for Mrs. Reed on other side of slate when she is absent from home. Light candle below the slate to see how to write me."

It is believed by some that the tragic death or Dr. Reed last year h ad unsettled Mrs. Reed's mind. Many Raytown citizens say that she has been "a little peculiar" for years. Where she has gone is not known; but as her insanity is at the acute cunning stage she may give the police a good chase before they get her. Mrs. Miller said she never went out unless heavily veiled.

"I managed to get along with the woman and was not afraid of her until recently," concluded Mrs. Miller. "Then she told me that she would surely shoot me if I didn't keep out of my own hall. Then I took the matter up with the Humane Society. It will take some time to remove all the boards and tinware from my basement windows."

Labels: , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory