Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

February 6, 1910


Taken From Old Bridge for Big
Building Foundation.

When the work of cutting down the piers of the old Winner bridge in the Missouri river to make them conform in height to the bridge the Armour Swift interests intend to build on the piers began there was some curiosity expressed as to what use was to be made of the mammoth stone slabs discarded. The question is being answered. They are to form the foundation for a big building that is to be erected at the northeast corner of Eighteenth and Holmes streets. Portions of the stone have been set already in the excavation of the building, and the remainder is being delivered. One stone is about all a team of horses can draw at one time.

The concrete approaches for the bridge are about finished, and the first delivery of steel is looked for some day this week.

Labels: , , ,

January 7, 1910


Smitzle's Drop Into Salt Barrel
Calls Out Police.

Charles Smitzle, who sells kosher meat to his co-religionists under the careful supervision of the rabbi in a store at 1603 East Eighteenth street, is undersized, so he stood on a salt barrel last night when he went to light the gas lamp. If he was just short there would never have been a feature to this simple act in a thousand years. However, he is also fat and just as he stood on tiptoe to apply the match to the jet the barrel collapsed.

It happened that Smitzle was alone in his store at the time of the accident, but two of his patrons were in the act of coming in and heard the crash coupled with an exclamation in Yiddish.

"Something has gone wrong with Smitzel," said one of them.

They pushed the door in and saw Smitzel arise out of the debris with a bloody nose. They took note of the wrecked condition of the store and thought they remembered that the word Smitzle had used was "murder." They then rushed out in search of a telephone.

Report that on top of several holdups and assaults that had occured earlier in the day a lone Hebrew was killed by highwaymen in his place of legitimate business produced a sensation in No. 6 police station. Sergeant Michael Halligan immediately dispatched a patrol wagon loaded with officers. When they arrived at the address on Eighteenth street Smitzel had succeeded in lighting the lamp. He had used the meat block and it had held. The blood on his nose and been washed away and the treacherous barrel converted to kindling.

Labels: , , , , ,

December 28, 1909


She Admits False Age of Son Was
Given Factory Inspector.

Mrs. E. L. Folsom, 707 East Eighteenth street, weeping bitterly, was lectured by Judge E. E. Porterfield in the juvenile court yesterday for making a false affidavit regarding the age of her son, Lyle H. Wilcox, in the office of W. H. Morgan, state factory inspector, recently when the boy went to work. She swore that he was born April 7, 1895, but yesterday admitted that he was born a year later. While under oath, as the court learned from private conversation with the woman's daughter, other misstatements were made.

"You ought to be punished," said Judge Porterfield, "for making the false affidavit about your son's age and for other statements made here under oath, but I cannot do it in this court. It could be done in the criminal court, however. This habit people have gotten into of making false affidavits of their children's ages before the factory inspector has got to be broken up. Somebody is going to be punished, too, if it does not cease."

The boy, Lyle, was given into the custody of his sister, Mrs. Iva Hubbard, 1405 Spruce avenue. Mrs. Folson said she had born ten children, seven of whom are living. She said she was divorced from Joseph Wilcox in Oklahoma City, Ok., and that seven years ago in January she was married to Folson.

Labels: , , , , , ,

October 24, 1909


Pussy Left in Possession of House
While Police Are Notified.

There were lively doings around the home of Mrs. M. Richardson, 813 East Eighteenth street, yesterday morning when the house cat, which had been the pet of the family for the last ten years, was seized suddenly with an attack of hydrophobia.

The family left pussy to rampage around the house to her heart's content, while they notified police headquarters, Patrolman Adams was detailed to shoot the animal.

Labels: , , ,

October 23, 1909


Clyde Bailey, Married But Two
Months, Is Instantly Killed at
Eighteenth and Indiana.

Clyde Bailey, a carpenter, and a bridegroom of two months, who lived with his father-in-law, Andrew Curtis, 2811 Bales avenue, was killed by a southbound Indiana car between Eighteenth and Nineteenth streets at 6:18 o'clock last evening.

Young Bailey, who was only 19 years old, had been working all day with his father and brother on a building at Overland park, and at 5:30 in the evening left them at Thirty-ninth and State line with the words: "Well I'll see you in the morning, kid." He changed cars at that point and eventually transferred to the Indiana avenue car which would take him to his home and supper.

Charles L. Bowman, proprietor of a night lunch wagon at Eighteenth and Indiana, who was a passenger on the car with Bailey, said they got off at Eighteenth. Bailey walked south on Indiana to the center of the block, said Bowman, and seeing a northbound car coming, crossed the west track and tried to catch the car on the inside. He was thrown back on the west track in the path from the southbound car from which he had just stepped and which by that time was going very rapidly. the top of Bailey's head struck the inside rail of the west track and was crushed by the wheels, the motorman being unable to stop the car until it had entirely passed over the body.

Fifteen minutes after the accident Deputy Coroner Harry Czarlinsky had the body removed to the Carrol-Davidson undertaking rooms, where it was identified by a book of Overland Park line tickets which he had purchased yesterday morning. His father, Nathan H. Bailey, 4435 Madison street, was notified, and his son, Cal W. Bailey, a brother of Clyde, was the first to arrive at the undertaking rooms.

The streetcar conductor, Jerome Moore, 835 Ann avenue, Kansas City, Kas., and the motorman, William Erickson of 1049 Ann avenue, were arrested by Officer Fields and taken to police headquarters where Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Norman Woodson released them on their personal recognizance for their appearance this morning.

It was at first thought Bailey was Roland Allshire, son of Roy B. Allshire, a contractor living at 2421 Indiana avenue, as Bailey had one of Allshire's cards in his pocket. A verdant young man immediately repaired to the Allshire home, where he threw the family into hysterics with the news. They telephoned to the Loose-Wiles factory, where young Allshire works nights, and he soon appeared on the scene to contradict the story.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

September 16, 1909


Charge Such and Act on Part of
Owners of Bikur Cholim Cemetery
Would Be Desecration.

An injunction suit to restrain the present owners from moving any of the bodies buried in the Bikur Cholim cemetery was filed in the circuit court yesterday by Sarah Binkowitz, Morris Newberg and others.

The cemetery has been used by Hebrews as a burial place, but not since 1893. It is at the northeast corner of Eighteenth street and Cleveland avenue and occupies about one-fourth block.

In the suit filed yesterday Henry Oppenheimer, Omar E. Robinson and Bikur Cholim Benevolent Association are named as defendants. The plaintiffs are the descendants and the relatives of Julius Newberg and David Binkowitz, who were buried in the cemetery in 1888.

It is alleged in the petition that the lots were sold with the guarantee on the part of the cemetery association that the land would always be maintained as a cemetery. This, it is alleged, is no longer done. In fact, according to the petition, mortgages against the land were foreclosed in 1903.

Charging that the defendants are now threatening to remove the bodies, and adding taht such action means desecration in the eyes of the Hebrew, an injunction forbidding such action is asked. An order also is sought to compel the cemetery asociation to live up to its agreement to maintain the graves in a suitable manner.

Labels: , , , , ,

August 8, 1909


John McGinnis Complains That $2
Fee Is Excessive.

John W. McGinnis, 1617 Oak street, told the marriage license clerk yesterday that the charge of $2 for a license was excessive. He said he believed that in view of this fact the minister who married him to Mrs. Susan J. Stratton of 2009 East Eighteenth street, should charge only 50 cents.

McGinnis is an old soldier and says he has been married three times before this venture. He is 69 years of age and his bride 71.

Labels: , , , ,

July 27, 1909


Mary O'Neill Pleads Not Guilty to
Charge of Husband.

Mary O'Neill, who took a shot at her husband, Frank P. O'Neill, in the general office of the Muehleback Brewing Company at Eighteenth and Main streets Monday evening, was arraigned in the justice court of James B. Shoemaker yesterday afternoon.

She pleaded "not guilty" to the charge of assault with intent to kill preferred against her by her husband. Hearing was set for 2 o'clock in the afternoon of August 5.

The defendant was released on $700 bond.

Labels: , , , ,

July 26, 1909



Wife Says She Was Nervous and
Excited, and That Shooting in
Muehleback Brewery Was
Only to Frighten Him.

A daintily dressed woman talking through the grate of the cashier's window in the general office of the Muehlebach Brewing Company to her husband, a bookkeeper, at 7:30 o'clock last night, attracted little attention from the beer wagon drivers who happened to be about. Sharp words between members of the opposite sexes in the vicinity of Eighteenth and Main streets even at such an early hour in the evening are not unusual.

Suddenly the woman, Mrs. Mary O'Neill of 431 Ann avenue, Kansas City, Kas., opened her chatelaine bag and inserted her hand.

"Mary, what are you going to do?" asked her husband, Frank P. O'Neill, of 3719 Woodland avenue. Mr. and Mrs. O'Neill have been separated since January 1.

The woman drew a small revolver from the bag and fired at close range, the bullet grazing Mr. O'Neill's neck beneath his right ear and lodging inside the neck band of his shirt. Mrs. O'Neill then dropped the weapon and gave herself up to John Glenn, night watchman of the brewery.


At No. 4 police station Mrs. O'Neill occupied a cell but a few feet from the operating table where Dr. J. M. McKamey was dressing her husband's wound. She was highly excited, nervous and penitent.

"I did not mean to kill him at all," she said, "but he has mistreated me every time I have approached him for money for my support, and I could not help but be on my guard all the time. When he told me to get out of the office tonight I got excited and fired when I only wanted to frighten him.

"My husband and I were married in a Catholic church two years ago," Mrs. O'Neill went on. "He married me without letting me know that he had been married twice before, and that both of these former wives are still living. During the last days of December last year I was sick and somewhat of a burden to him. On the evening of the New Year he left me sick in bed and never came back.

"I have since kept house for my brother, John Semen, at my home on Ann avenue, Kansas City, Kas. The two trips I have taken to see my husband and ask for money from him to buy clothes for myself have not been successful.


Frank O'Neill was not sure last night that he would prosecute his wife. His father, Sergeant F. P. O'Neill of No. 6 police station, however, said he would prosecute.

"I have never mistreated my wife," said the son. "It is true that I have been married before. Mary's shooting at me without warning from her, although my mother called me over the telephone half an hour before, and said Mary was on the way to the brewery to kill me."

Dr. McKamey said that O'Neill's would would easily heal.

Mrs. O'Neill is 28 years old.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

May 28, 1909


Tenement Commission's Advice Con-
cerning "Red Light" Districts.

In a letter to the board of police commissioners yesterday the tenement commission advised the board that conditions on Twelfth street in the neighborhood of Central high school were not ideal, and that many hotels and rooming houses in that neighborhood were frequented by an undesirable class of inmates.

The commission also advised that the "red light" district be segregated to definite boundaries, south of Twelfth street. The letter advised that the boundaries of the district be fixed at Main street on the west, McGee street on the east, Eighteenth street on the south and Fourteenth street on the north. The district in the North End should be bounded on the north by Second street, on the east by Wyandotte street, on the south by Fifth street and on the west by Broadway.

Commissioner Marks was delegated to make an investigation of the matter, and report at the next meeting.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

May 8, 1909



Charles Zondler, Saloonkeeper, Seri-
ously Injured by Outlaw, Who
Is Captured by Police-
man After Chase.

"I want your money. Hold up your hands."

Charles Zondler, alone in his saloon at Eighteenth and Cherry streets last night at 10 o'clock, looked up into the muzzle of a 38-calibre revolver. He reached for his own gun beneath the bar and the stick-up man shot him twice in the face. The assassin fled from the saloon and darted south through an alley. Zondler fired twice, but missed.

Jerry O'Connell, patrolman on the beat, heard the shots when he was at Nineteenth and Charlotte streets, and caught a glimpse of the flying figure. He cut across lots and headed the man off in the alley. Putting his left hand over the robber's revolver he jammed his own gun close to the fellow's car and brought him to a stop. Then, with the assistance of Patrolman George Brooks, O'Connell marched his prisoner to the Walnut street station.

Zondler, who is an elderly man and has owned the saloon but a few months, was taken to the general hospital in the ambulance from the station. Examination showed that one of the bullets had entered his mouth and passed out through the right cheek. The other bullet entered the left side of the neck and passed out through the right side. He is in a precarious condition.

Lieutenant Michael Halligan put the prisoner through a searching examination at the station. He gave the name of Henry Horton, but a card case had the name of H. S. Seward upon it, and he acknowledged that he sometimes went by that name. Horton admitted to Lieutenant Halligan that he had been arrested in this city before for petty crimes, but said that this was his first attempt at the stick-up game. He had only recently arrived in town, he said, and needed money. A dime and a stamped postcard were in his pockets. Horton asked permission to send the postcard to his mother. He addressed it, "Mrs. W. H. Strain, 3001 Cisna avenue, Kansas City, Kas." On the card he wrote:

"I guess I am gone for good. Come over and see me, Scott."

Horton said that his mother's name was different from his own because she had married twice. He said that he lived at the Kansas City, Kas., address when at home, but had only recently come from Omaha. He made no attempt to deny the act.

Jerry O'Connell, who made the arrest in sensational fashion, is known as the best sprinter in the precinct, if not on the force. He was complimented by Lieutenant Halligan on his capture.

Zondler lives with his family at 3220 East Twenty-third street.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

April 13, 1909


Rose Peterson Faces Charge of Mur-
der in Criminal Court.

Rose Peterson will go to trial this afternoon in the criminal court. She is charged with murder in the second degree for the killing of her husband December 22.

Fred Peterson, the dead man, and his wife, from whom he had been separated, went to a dance the night in question. They quarreled. At Eighteenth street and Agnes avenue, she shot him, then ran to 3810 East Nineteenth street, the home of Peterson's parents, and told them of the killing.

Peterson died almost instantly. As a defense the wife, who is 19 years old, says her husband struck her. A jury was empaneled yesterday.

Labels: , , , ,

March 30, 1909


Somnambulist Plunges Through
a Window, 12 Feet to Ground.

Too suddenly awakened by his roommate calling him, Henry Harris, a plasterer, while walking in his sleep in his room at 901 East Eighteenth street, at an early hour yesterday morning, plunged through a second story window. He landed on the soft soil of the lawn twelve feet below, and but for severe cuts on his head mad by the broken window panes, would have been uninjured. H e was taken to the general hospital.

Harris has been in the city only five weeks. He is a somnambulist, he says, and has had several hard falls from being frightened while touring his rooms in his sleep.

Labels: , ,

March 24, 1909


Clacie Claunch Has Not Been Home
Since Sunday Morning.

The police are looking for Clacie Claunch, 15 years old, who disappeared from her home at 3324 East Eighteenth street Sunday morning. She wore a red skirt, light waist, light striped jacket and long brown leather gloves. Her hair and eyes are brown. She had intended to go to the Hippodrome when she left home.

Arthur Gladstone, 2452 Woodland avenue, reported to the police that his wife has been missing for several days. She is 24 years old, wieghs 120 pounds and wore a blue suit.

Labels: , , ,

January 26, 1909


Location of Memorial to Policemen
and Firemen Decided Tomorrow.

The police and park boards and Mayor Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., will meet at Fifteenth and Paseo tomorrow morning for the purpose of considering a suggestion, made yesterday by Fred S. Doggett of the park board, that the proposed policemen and firemen's monument be erected in the Paseo, between Seventeenth and Eighteenth streets.

The mayor waited on the park board yesterday, formally informing them of a resolution adopted by the council favoring the monument to the memory of firemen and policemen who die in the discharge of duty. The board added its approval to the movement, and volunteered its co-operation.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

January 11, 1909


Three-Year-Old Boy Dies from In-
juries Received From Accident.

John Melvin Shoemaker, the 3-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. John A. Shoemaker, who was scalded by falling into a tub of hot water at the home at 2033 East Eighteenth street Saturday afternoon, died at the general hospital yesterday morning. No funeral arrangements have been made.

Labels: , , ,

January 10, 1909


Little Harry Shoemaker May Have
Received Fatal Injuries.

Harry Shoemaker, 3 years old, infant son of Mrs. J. A. Shoemaker, 2033 East Eighteenth street, fell into a tub of boiling water yesterday morning and was badly scalded. The mother heard the child's cries and plunged her hands into the water and pulled the boy out. The child was taken to the general hospital, where it is in a serious condition. Mrs. Shoemaker had both hands badly burned.

Labels: , ,

January 3, 1909


Man Attacks Frank Irons and Sever-
ly Injures Him.

While walking in an alley from Grand avenue to McGee between Eighteenth and Nineteenth streets last night about 8 o'clock, Frank Irons, who lives at 215 East Tenth street, was accosted by a man who asked for the price of a drink. Irons refused and the man struck him and clinched with him.

In the course of the struggle Irons received several cuts on the back of the head. The assailant ran, and the wounded wan was taken to the general hospital, where his cuts were dressed. He was very weak from loss of blood last night, but has a good chance for recovery.

Labels: , , , ,

December 27, 1908



Prosecution Will Try to Show That
Woman Had Written Threatening
Letter to Husband Short Time
Before She Shot Him.

At the trial of Rose Peterson, the following letter purporting to be written by Mrs. Peterson to her husband will be introduced:

"It's a good thing you ran today or I would have got you. I would have got you anyway if so many people had not been around. Don't go any place where I may see you! I'll get you if I ever see you, no mater if it's ten years from now. If you ever try to get it I'll follow you, no matter where you go."

This letter was received by Fred Peterson two weeks ago. It was unsigned, but, it was alleged, was in Rose Peterson's handwriting and he showed it to his brother, Frank, saying that his wife had written it. Then Fred told how that very morning as he was passing Eighth and Cherry streets, Rose met him and pointed a revolver at him, but he dodged behind a corner so quickly that she had no opportunity to fire.


Mrs. Peterson was seen at the county jail last night and the letter alleged to have been written by her to Fred Peterson was red. "Did you write that letter?" she was asked.

"I don't know" she answered. "I don't remember whether I did or not."

"Did you and your husband ever have a quarrel about dry goods and did he accuse you with having unlawfully obtained them? Was that your first misunderstanding?"

"I don't know that, either," she said.

"Did you ever point a revolver at your husband on the street; in other words, did you ever attempt to shoot him?"

"You ain't talking to me, I guess."

"How did you happen to have a revolver on the night he was shot on the street? Was it your habit to carry a revolver when attending dances?"

"I won't talk to you. See my lawyer. He will tell you all I've got to say."

The Petersons were married three years ago, when he was 19 years old and she was 16. He was a plumber and earned $13 a week. They lived at the house of Peterson's mother and were apparently very happy until they had a dispute about some dry good that the wife had brought into the house and which the husband insisted that she ought to return. After being married nine months they separated and Peterson moved to California, where he remained until last September. Then he became sick and his mother hastened to his side and brought him back to this city. He got a job here and lived at the home of his mother.


Several months ago Rose Peterson came to the house and asked for her husband. They talked, and several times afterward they were seen in each other's company. Divorce proceedings were instituted by the woman, but after they had reached a certain stage she ceased to pay her lawyer his fees and Peterson, who was also anxious to get the divorce, paid the lawyer $15. At this time, says Frank Peterson, Rose had changed her mind and did not want to get the divorce. She begged her husband to contest the suit, and finally threatened to do him harm, the brother says. He knew that she carried a revolver. His brother said to him once:

"If Rose pulls that gun on you I want you to strike her." Fred replied: "No, I won't do that. I'm going to run."

He did run when she pointed the revolver at him at Eighth and Cherry streets, and after that he avoided her. On the night on which he was shot he had planned to do some Christmas shopping with his mother, but she was taken ill and he was forced to go alone. He was never seen alive again by any friends or family. Mrs. Peterson claims that on that night she went to a dance with her husband, and that he accompanied her home. She asserts that they quarreled on a street car. They left the car at Eighteenth and Askew and the quarrel was resumed on the street. The woman says the man slapped her; that then she drew a revolver and fired five shots, each of the five bullets lodging in his body and killing him instantly.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

December 24, 1908


Mrs. Rose Peterson, Who Killed Her
Husband, Expresses No Re-
gret for the Deed.

Instead of enjoying Christmas day as she expected, Mrs. Rose Peterson, who shot and killed her husband, Frederick L. Peterson, early Wednesday morning, will occupy a cell in the county jail. Her husband accused her of going to a theater with a young man Saturday evening, but the 19-year-old widow says she was arranging Christmas presents at her home.

Mrs. Peterson told Captain Walter Whitsett yesterday that she shot her husband because he slapped her. Two weeks ago she said she threatened to shoot her husband when he slapped her at Eighteenth and Cherry streets. Peterson at that time ran.

She said they were married in St. Joseph, March 31, 1907, and that her husband deserted her in November, 1907. After they were married, Mrs. Peterson told Captain Whitsett, her husband compelled her to work, although she wanted to keep house on what he was earning. His income was $13 a week and she earned $7 and paid all of the living expenses out of it. He often slapped and mistreated her and she decided not to ever stand for it again.

Her husband had taken her to a dance at the Eagles ball room Tuesday night, and the two spent a pleasant evening. Going home on the car about midnight, she said her husband quarreled with her and accused her of seeing other men too often. After leaving the car at Eighteenth street and Askew avenue, he slapped her, and Mrs. Peterson said she then drew her revolver and fired five times.

Mrs. Peterson had sued her husband for divorce, and yesterday she told the police that she had paid her attorney $18 toward his fee.

She sat in the matron's room yesterday and refused to talk about her act, except to Captain Whitsett. With him she was defiant in her answers and declared that she would again shoot any man that slapped her.

She was taken to Justice James. B. Shoemaker's court at 5 o'clock yesterday afternoon for arraignment, but the justice had gone. She will be arraigned this morning.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

December 23, 1908


Mrs. Rosa Peterson Resents Charges
and Shoots Him With Revolver
at Eighteenth and Askew.

Because he accused her of familiarity with other men, Mrs. Rosa Peterson, who lives with her widowed mother at 3505 East Eighteen street, shot and killed her husband, Fred Peterson, at the corner of Eighteenth street and Askew avenue, at 12:20 o'clock last night. A revolver was the weapon used. The woman fired five shots, every one taking effect. The first one, supposed to have been fired point blank at the head, caused instantaneous death, according to Assistant county Coroner Dr. Harry Czarlinsky, who examined the body.

According to the story of Mrs. Peterson, her husband had been separated from her the past two years, but they had occasionally kept company together. Last night they went to a dance. On the way to Peterson's home at 3810 East Eighteenth street words passed between them. Mrs. Peterson alleges her husband slapped her as they got off the car at Eighteenth street and Askew avenue. She then drew the revolver and killed him.

Peterson was a plumber's helper and worked for A. Schreidner at 7223 East Eighth street. Mrs. Peterson feeds a press at the plant of the Masterson Printing Company, 414 East Ninth street.

She was arrested by Policeman Patrick Coon and taken to No. 6 police station.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

November 27, 1908


If There Was, It Wasn't the Fault
of Givers of Dinners.

Amid the general rejoicing and feeling of goodfellowship incident to a perfect Thanksgiving day, the less fortunate inhabitants of the city were not forgotten. At every charitable institution in the city a dinner was provided for the inmates. The Salvation Army, Franklin institute, Union mission and other organizations of like character fed hundreds of poor persons, and sent many baskets of provisions to deserving families who were unable to attend the dinners.

The Union mission, at Eighteenth and McGee streets, provided a dinner and fed over 400 persons. Special invitations had been sent out and persons from Rosedale, Argentine, Kansas City, Kas., and country districts attended the dinner. Everything in the way of eatables was provided, and if any person in Kansas City went without a Thanksgiving dinner yesterday it was not because of a lack of opportunity.

"It was certainly good to see those poor persons eat," said the Rev. Mrs. Rose Cockriel, the pastor of the mission. "Those who came to the dinner ranged in age from 7 weeks to 33 years, and they all appeared to enjoy themselves. Six little boys, the oldest one 10 years of age, walked in from beyond the Blue river. We gave them their dinner and a basket of provisions to take to their home."

At the Old Folks and Orphans' home the day was celebrated with an old-fashioned dinner, turkey, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pies and everything that should be eaten on that day. At the Perry Orphan Boys' home 130 boys partook of the good things that had been provided for them.

At the Working Girls' hotel there was really a day of thanksgiving, not alone because of the excellent dinner, for in addition to that some unknown friend donated a high grade piano to the institution. From the standpoint of charity and general cause for thankfulness, the day was very much a success.

At the county jail Marshal Al Heslip provided a dinner for the prisoners, of whom there now are fewer than 200. All the trimmings went with the spread. Eatables out of the ordinary also were served at the Detention home, where juvenile prisoners are confined.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

October 8, 1908


Republicans Use Phonographs to
Play Campaign Music.

Canned music attracted three large crowds last night, which were then addressed by political spellbinders. The speakers were Everett Elliot and E. W. White, and the music was produced by a phonograph. The Republicans last night sent out a wagon containing a graphophone and speakers to spread the gospel of the Republican party among the people.

The first stop was at Eighteenth and Vine streets, then at Eighteenth and Lydia and last at Eighteenth street and Woodland avenue. The phonograph was used to collect the crowd and from the signal success of the first night it is possible that the practice will continue. Tonight the wagon will go out again.

Labels: , , , , ,

September 15, 1908


Sorceress Is Said to Be at Work Near
Eighteenth and Flora.

Considerable excitement has been caused in the negro colony adjacent to Eighteenth street and Flora avenue because of the alleged attempt on the part of unknown persons to cast a voodoo over the dwellings of many families. Yesterday afternoon a crowd of negroes gave chase to a woman thought to be responsible for the work, but she disappeared before being overtaken. The woman, who is well advanced in age, is said by the negroes to have come here from the South, for the express purpose of casting the voodoo.

The voodoo, according to the superstitious belief of the older class of negroes, is brought about by a mixture of vinegar, sale and sugar with an equal portion of a hog's internal organs. This combination, according to belief, if splattered on the front door of a house will bring about the voodoo, and bad luck will thereafter follow every member of the family.

Several doors in the negro district are said to have been smeared lately, but every effort to detect the guilty persons at work has proved unsuccessful.

Labels: , ,

September 8, 1908


Symptoms of Race Trouble Out on
East Eighteenth Street.

Fear of an attack by whites kept several hundred negroes living in the vicinity of Vine and Twenty-third streets awake until an early hour this morning. Rumors that the "Eighteenth street gang" was going to come with firearms, tar and ropes and make a second Springfield of the district, caused the negroes to arm themselves and stay up at night, watching on the doorsteps of their houses for the approach of the white mob.

Sunday night the undertaking rooms of A. T. Moore, a negro undertaker at 1820 East Eighteenth street, were burned down and the report was spread that the building had been fired by white men. On the same night a crowd of negroes gathered at Twenty-fifth and Vine streets and eleven officers from the Flora avenue police station were sent to disperse them. They went away quietly.

Yesterday Dave Epstien, a pawnbroker at 1418 East Eighteenth street, reported to the police that all the firearms he carried in stock had been sold to negroes. Other dealers in firearms also sold many weapons.

"We don't want to have another Springfield," said one of the negroes at late hour last night, "but we do intend to protect ourselves if the police will not protect us."

Meanwhile, in the headquarters of the redoubtable "Eighteenth street gang" all was peace. There were no preparations being made to attack negroes, so far as could be learned. The police attribute the scare to the malicious tale bearing of idle negroes.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

August 11, 1908


"Bottles" Was a Model Dog Until a
Vagrant Canine Came Along.

This is the story of a dog that was tempted and fell into bad ways. Henry Miller, a Kansas City saloonkeeper, owns a fox terrier named "Bottles." For two years Bottles was all that any self-respecting fox terrier should be. Then one night a dog of uncertain breed walked into a saloon and from appearances was nearly starved to death. Miller fed the dog, which stayed in the saloon from then on. She was named Rags and developed an abnormal appetite for beer, drinking all of it that was given to her. She would become so intoxicated that she could not walk. Within six month' time "Bottles" had acquired the hait of drinking beer and the two dogs would get "gloriously full" together.

Recently Miller purchased a saloon in the North End and Rags was taken to the new location, but not being acquainted with the patrons she refused to spend all of her time there. She goes out to the corner of Fourth and Main streets about noon every day and boards a Vine street car and rides to Nineteenth and Troost avenue, where she gets off and goes over to Eighteenth and Troost avenue, where she has lived for some time. "Bottles" is also an old street car rider. Each morning "Bottles" boards a Troost avenue car and rides to Twelfth street, where he transfers onto a Twelfth street car and rides down to a restaurant near Holmes street. The waiter in the restaurant gives the dog a meal, after which "Bottles" makes the return trip, including the transfer at Twelfth street and Troost avenue.

Not long ago Miller started out to attend a circus on the east side of town. He took "Bottles" with him, but the dog became separated from his master at Eighth street and Grand avenue. The owner retraced his footsteps, believing that he would find "Bottles" playing with other dogs on the street. When he reached Tenth street and Troost avenue he boarded a car to go to Eighteenth street and Troost avenue to his saloon. When the car arrived at Twelfth street he saw "Bottles" get off a Twelfth street car and run and jump on the rear end of a Troost car on his way home. "Bottles" has a son known as "Booze," but so far "Booze" has refused to partake of intoxicating liquors, nor has he learned the art of using the street cars in his travels around the city.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

August 2, 1908


George Lemon, Subject to Fits, Per-
ishes Before Help Arrives.

George Lemon, 17 years old, entered the barber shop of Joseph Sarp and James S. Caldwell, 2605 East Eighteenth street, last night about 9 o'clock and said he wanted to take a bath. R. M. Dodson, the negro porter, prepared the bath for him, filling the tub half full of lukewarm water. Lemon entered and was heard splashing around. Fifteen minutes later his body was heard to fall in the tub and those who rushed into the room found him lying in the water, dead.

Dr. N. McVey was called and he tried to resuscitate him, but without avail. The body was taken to Eylar Bros., undertakers, where Coroner George B. Thompson examined it and found the death was due to drowning. Lemon was subject to epileptic attacks, one of which probably caused him to fall in the tub. No inquest will be held.

The boy was a teamster and lived at 1704 Agnes avenue with his parents and brother.

Labels: , , , , ,

July 24, 1908


Major Richardson, Negro, Injures
Himself and Mrs. Dave Gross-
man by Falling From Perch.

Major Richardson, a negro stonemason, 30 years old, has a bad habit of siting down in the window sill of his room in the second story at 1802 East Eighteenth street and falling asleep. Several times his roommate has narrowly saved him from falling out on the granitoid paving below. Yesterday, Major did an unusually hard day's work in the hot sun and about 10 o'clock last night he set in the open window and, of course, fell asleep.

Just at the moment that Major was slipping into slumberland, Mrs. Dave Grossman, 45 years old, who lives in the shop below, was carrying a tub of waste water out into the street, assisted by her daughter, Mary. As Mrs. Grossman opened the screed door directly below where Richardson was sitting, the latter entered the gates of sleep and came tumbling down upon her. In his descent one of his feet passed through the transom over the door and he was turned over so that he alighted on Mrs. Grossman's chest on his head. Then he bounced off and fell on the paving, almost fracturing his skull.

Mrs. Grossman's shrieks called neighbors to the scene and they took her into the house. The ambulance from the Walnut street police station was called, and the negro was taken to the general hospital, where he was reported in a serious condition last night. Mr. Grossman refused to go to the hospital at first, but after Dr. E. L. Ginsberg was called he recommended that she be taken to the German hospital, which was done. Mrs. Grossman's chest was severely bruised.

Mrs. Grossman is the wife of Dave Grossman, an express driver, and had charge of the little grocery store. She has four children and lives in rooms behind the store. They have only been in the neighborhood two weeks.

Labels: , , , , ,

May 8, 1908





Edna Sickler and Grace Kaufman
Elude the Guards and Go Visit-
ing, No One Seems to
Know Where.

If you should meet two girls, one 12 years old, light hair, blue eyes with a squint in her right eye, wearing a red calico dress and red coat, and the other 13 years old, dark hair, eyes and skin, and wearing a gray coat and dark skirt, it might be advisable, if you are not equipped with a fumigating apparatus, for you to climb a tree or jump in a well until they have passed.

Girls of this description took French leave of St. George's hospital in the East Bottoms yesterday about noon. The city's smallpox patients are quarantined there. The 12-year-old girl is named Edna Sickler. Her home is at 6415 East Fourteenth street and her mother and two small brothers, 3 and 7 years old, are still in quarantine. Grace Kaufman is the 13-year-old. Her home is at 2307 East Eighteenth street and her mother and a sister 11 years old are still at the hospital.

"The girls have been down here nine days," said Dr. George P. Pipkin, who has charge of the hospital. "Both of their cases were very light, but they are endangering the public as they left here wearing the same clothes in which they came and were not fumigated. I have given their descriptions to all the police stations and want them returned here at once."

With five other children the two girls were playing about the hospital grounds about 11 o'clock yesterday. Telling the other children that they were going up the river bank to gather flowers they disappeared. As that is a custom, nothing was thought of the incident until the girls failed to show up for dinner at 11:45 o'clock.

Fearing that some accident had happened them the mothers went in search but got no trace of them. Then the matter was reported to Dr. Pipkin who, with Morris S. Sharp, a guard, made a search in the immediate neighborhood. That, too, was fruitless. Sharp then took the wagon and drove toward town. From a man working near the Crescent elevator in the East bottoms he learned that the girls had passed there, seemingly in a great hurry to reach the Fifth street car line, just about noon. Then the matter was reported to the police.

From the mothers Dr. Pipkin learned that both girls had been given a nickel in the morning. They wanted to buy a candy at a little store nearby, they said. The doctor also learned that the girls had taken particular pains to wash up in the morning, and one of them complained that her dress was not clean.

Sharp came to the city and went to the girls' homes, but they had not shown up there. When he went to a flat near Twenty-eighth and Wabash avenue, where the Kaufman girl's father worked as janitor he was informed that Kaufman had been gone two days. Mr. and Mrs. Kaufman are separated. When informed that her husband had gone, sh said she feared that the girl was with him. The father and three sisters at the Sickler girl's home said they would inform Dr. Pipkin if Edna came home.

Men at the smallpox hospital are watched very closely, but it has never been deemed necessary to place a guard over children. They have always been given as much freedom as possible as it was known to be good for them. These two girls are the first to ever run away from the institution. The police believe the girls are still in the city and hope to land them back at the hospital today.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

April 10, 1908



A Pickpocket and the Assailant of a
Little Girl Are Fined $500 Each,
Also -- Lecture to Heavy-
Handed Husband.

Judge Kyle celebrated re-election yesterday by assessing four $500 fines, two of them being against wife beaters, one a pickpocket and the fourth a man who had attempted to assault a little girl. It was the judge's first day on the bench since election.

W. D. Russell, 2223 Campbell street, was fined $500 for beating his wife and putting her, with a 3-weeks-old baby in her arms, out of the house. Mrs. Russell's mother was also put out.

When Patrolman Noland was called he tried to effect a compromise. He told Mrs. Russell to go back into the house and see what Russell would do. Russell had gone to bed intoxicated, the officer said, and immediately began to curse and abuse his wife when she awakened him.

Mrs. A. Burgis of the Associated Charities said that Mrs. Russell had supported herself and baby, and husband, too, for a long time by making bed quilts, having made and sold twenty of them. When Russell insisted that he had paid the rent Mrs. Burgis said: "Not much you didn't. We paid part and your wife the rest." Russell is a big, strapping man and his wife a small woman. She was too weak and sickly to appear in court, but the officer and Mrs. Burgis did the work. His fine was $500.

The next wife beater to meet his fate was Fred Scraper of 313 East Eighteenth street. He was arrested by Patrolman McCarthy after he had raised a disturbance at his home. Mrs. Scraper and her little daughter both testified against Scraper.

"My wife irritates me," Scraper said. "The other night I went home with the earache and the toothache. Any man might slap a woman at such times."

"There is no excuse on earth great enough to cause a husband to lay even his hand upon his wife in anger. Your fine is $500," said Judge Kyle. Scraper was fined $15 on March 10 for disturbing the peace at home and given a stay conditioned on good behavior. He has been in police court many times for the same offense. He is an upholsterer's solicitor.

When Philip Packard was arraigned on a technical charge of vagrancy Sergeant James W. Hogan testified that on election night in a crowd in front of a newspaper office he had caught Packard in the act of picking a man's pocket. Bertillon records show that Packard had served a term in the penitentiary at Pontiac, Ill., and many workhouse sentences. He did not deny it. On December 21 last, under the name of Milton Steele, Packard was sent to the workhouse for attempting to pick a man's pocket in a pool hall. He was released April 1. Judge Kyle assessed $500 against Packard.

A man giving the name of J. H. McCleary, a news agent, was the last victim. He was charged with disturbing the peace. George W. Banfield, a contractor of Twenty-ninth and Flora, told how his little girl had been insulted by McCleary. Some little girls were hunting four-leaf clovers in old Troost park. When McCleary placed his hands on Mr. Banfield's daughter the girls ran and screamed. Banfield chased McCleary several blocks, caught him and turned him over to the police. McCleary was fined $500.

All four of the men fined $500 rode to the workhouse, no attempts being made to get them out on appeal bonds. The fine means one year in the workhouse.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

April 3, 1908





Carried Sunday School Tract With
Little Girl's Name on It, but
the Owner Does Not
Know Her.

A young woman who was crushed by the wheels of a Belt Line engine last night at 7:30 o'clock, died tow and a half hours later at the city hospital, without being identified. The scene of the accident was where the Belt tracks are fifteen feet below street level, half way between Brooklyn and Park avenues. It is near Nineteenth street.

The woman was walking eastward and must have entered the cut three blocks west, at the street level.

To avoid the Santa Fe local No. 59, westbound, she stepped upon the other main track, and a Milwaukee engine, eastbound, struck her. Pilot Al Williams was riding to work on the engine but neither he nor the engineer, James Spencer, saw her, nor did the fireman But the flagman on the freight train did.

She lay by the track, her left arm almost severed at the shoulder, and with a contusion, possibly a fracture, on each side of her head. A broad leather cushion from the car was brought and she was carried to Eighteenth street and Brooklyn avenue to the office of Dr. I. E. Ruhl, who saw that she was dying. The police ambulance from No. 4 police station, in charge of Patrolman Smith Cook and Dr. C. V. Bates, arrived and she was taken to the general hospital.

She seemed conscious, but could not be induced to talk. The only article she carried was a Sunday school quarterly bearing the name of Loretta Kurster, 1509 East Eighteenth street.

Drs. R. C. Henderson and T. B. Clayton, who operated on the woman at the hospital. said she seemed bright and could use her vocal organs, but evidently was suffering from a skull fracture so such an extent that she did not really understand what was said to her.

Asked if she knew how she had been hurt, she replied, wonderingly, "Hurt? Why, I didn't know anything was the matter." But questions as to her identity she did not attempt to answer, and there was nothing about her person to disclose this, besides the booklet.

In the meantime it had been discovered that Loretta Kursler is a 12-year-old girl who was uninjured and busy in her mother's bakery at the address given in the book. She thought it might be a Sunday school teacher she had met at Central Baptist church, Miss Blanche Wade, but Miss Wade was found safe at her home. She at once, however, went to the hospital to see if she could identify the woman. The quarterly was found to be one pushed by the Christian denomination.

The Kursler child having recently become a pupil at the Forest Avenue Christian church, Miss Wade called Rev. J. L. Thompson of the Forest Avenue church for aid in identifying the woman. Loretta Kursler said her Christian Sunday school teacher was called Grace, but she did not know her last name. The minister accounted for every Sunday school worker by the name of Grace and everyone who teaches girls of that size. Then the chance of discovering before morning who the woman was seemed very slight.

Apparently the woman was 32 to 35 years of age. She was slightly above medium height, was fairly well fleshed, was brunette with abundance of dark hair, had delicate hands, blue-set earrings worn tight to the ear, and wore a tan jacket and a fur neck piece. No hat was taken with her to the hospital. Around her waist was fastened a package containing $8.70.

Dr. Ruhl, who first saw her, thinks it possible that the woman may have been demented, or if an employed woman may have been making a short cut home from work. In the latter case he would believe her hearing defective.

The Kursler family is at a loss to know how a Sunday school book bearing the little girl's name would come to be found in the possession of anyone not her teacher.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

April 3, 1908


Robert Butterfield Is Fined $100
for Beating W. J. Gardner.

Robert Butterfield , an upolster, was fined $100 by a jury in the crinal court yesterday for assaulting Dr. Wesloey J. Gardner with a rock and a club in the physician's office at Eighteenth street and Troost avenue the afternoon of October 3, 1907. Dr. Gardner was in the private office with Mrs. Butterfield and the husband wanted to get in. When Dr. Garnder opened the door, it was in evidence at the trial yesterday, Butterfield hit him with the rock, and, as the physician retreated into the office, the club was used. Mrs. Butterfield had called to be treated by Dr. Gardner.

Labels: , , , ,

February 18, 1907


Speaker Spalding Says South Side
Residents Are Unprotected.

D. R. Spalding, alderman from the Eleventh ward and speaker of the lower house, called at police headquarters last night to ask for better police protection in his district. Mr. Spalding lives at 2305 Tracy avenue an is much perturbed over two big burglaries which occured near him Sunday night and over several attempts which have been made in the neighborhood. He said neither he nor his neighbors had seen a policeman in the neighborhood in the last four or five months.

The matter will be taken up with the chief. Mr. Spalding spoke of taking the matter up with the council. When the complaint was referred to Lieutenant W. J. Carroll last night, he said: "There has been a man on that beat most of the time, especially of nights, for months. Tonight there are six or seven men out there in plain lothes. We are short of police out here, as they are all over the city, and often policemen have to be taken form the residence beat to be used in more congested districts along Eighteenth and Nineteenth streets. We are doing the best we can with the men we have on duty."

Labels: , , , , , ,

February 8, 1908


Famous No. 11 to Be Transferred to
Vine Street Station.

The administration has turned a deaf ear to the pleadings of the negro population not to move negro fire company No. 11 from Independence avenue, and will transfer it to the old fire station on Vine street, near Eighteenth, soon to be vacated by a company of white firemen. The latter organization will be installed in a handsome new firehouse the city is erecting on Virginia, near Independence, close to the old shack that the negro firemen have had to put up with for years.

Naturally, the negro firemen are considerably put out with the change, and the claim is made that they are entitled to better quarters than they have been getting, and into which they are to be moved.

Labels: , , ,

February 8, 1908



Tearful Ending of a Hasty Mar-
riage, and She Goes Back
to Parents.

As a preliminary to heart mending week, scheduled to begin in the circuit court Monday, ten divorces were granted by two judges yesterday and one suit was dismissed. Nine of the decrees were granted by default. Three new suits were filed. One recently divorced couple secured a license to remarry.

The contested case, that of Arthur G. Frogue against Mayme D. Frogue, was concluded by Judge John G. Park remarking to the plaintiff husband:

"You are like a good many other men I have heard of. You married a woman too good for you, and haven't enough sense to appreciate her."

Frogue, who is a chauffeur, heard but a portion of the court's remark, and called out angrily to hear it again. Judge Park accommodated him by repeating the same words in a very loud voice. When Frogue jumped from his chair and started to reply, his attorney made him sit down and be silent.

Frogue wanted a divorce on the ground that his wife had packed up and left him, after selling the kitchen stove and the china cabinet for money enough to pay her fare to her parents' home in Odessa, Mo. He proved this all right, but the wife had six witnesses who told how unhappy Frogue had made her before she left. Her best witness was Mrs. Sarah Starr, an aged, deaf and feeble woman in a black bonnet, with whom the Frogues lived at Eighteenth street and Tracy avenue, shortly after their marriage.

Thomas G. Foster of Odessa, Mrs. Frogue's father, wept copiously while on the stand telling about his daughter's troubles.

"I never saw Frogue before the wedding," Foster said. "My Mayme met him in Kansas City and the first time I knew of the marriage was when she told me of it by telephone. I hastened to the couple and Frogue promised me he would be kind to my girl. He said he was making plenty of money and could and would care for her.

"After Mayme came home and her baby was born I never saw the husband and heard from him but once. I am willing to care for the child in the future, as I have done in the past."

"Have you any income to afford it?" asked the court.

"I guess so. I've got more now than I ever had before in my life and I've raised eight children. They all are good children, too."

Foster is a retired farmer. His wife, Mrs. Frogue's mother, was present, but did not testify. The Frogues were divorced and the wife's parents secured possession of the child.

The case dismissed was that of Frank E. Howe against Mabel Gale Howe. The husband charged the wife with throwing a hot potato and hitting him in the eye, and with other acts showing temper. The case was dismissed at his request.

Labels: , , ,

February 3, 1908





Man Caught the Baby as It Dropped,
but the Woman Struck the
Hard Pavement and
Was Badly Hurt.
Mrs. Hilda Holmquest.
Who Heeded an Excited Crowd's Advice to Leap From a Burning Building, and was seriously hurt.

Cut off from escape by the stairs in a fire in 406 Landis court yesterday afternoon, Mrs. Hilda Holmquest rushed to a rear fire escape three floors above the paved alley, with another woman's child in her arms and stood a moment dazed while flames shot up at her from a window on the floor beneath. It seemed impossible for her to descend the ladder through the flames and the excited crowd below cried to her to jump.

"Oh, take the baby," she said, "it is not mine."

Then she threw the infant and jumped after it.

George M. Thomas of 910 Wyandotte street, one of the crowd beneath, caught the babe by one arm and both feet and dodged Mrs. Holmquest's falling body.

The child was unhurt. Mrs. Holmquest struck the brick pavement and suffered a broken knee, a serious scalp wound and internal injuries. She may recover.

Two minutes after Mrs. Holmquest jumped the truck and ladder company from No. 4 fire station arrived and rescued all of the other people imprisoned by the fire in the upper floors. They are: Mrs. Edward McNamara, wife of the police sergeant; Mr. and Mrs. C. L. Bushnell and Mr. and Mrs. Mellin.

Others than Mrs. Homlquest, who were injured in the blaze, were people on the first floor. The fire started from an unknown cause in a closet in the apartments of Mrs. Frank Alley, on the first floor, and when she opened the closet door it had gained such headway that already it was eating its way through the ceiling into the rooms above and it burst out of the closet upon her, singeing her hair and burning her hands.

A Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell, who were visiting Mrs. Alley, were unable to reach a door before the flames cut them off. Mitchell's face was burned deep into the flesh. Mrs. Alley was unable to save anything from her apartments.

The rescue of Mrs. McNamara from a window above the floor from which Mrs. Holmquest leaped was a thrilling one. When she discovered the fire she rose from her bed, where she had lain for six weeks because of sickness, crept to a window, and seeing nothing below her but smoke and flame, climbed along the window ledge on the third floor to the window of hte adjoining apartment, No. 408. There she remained until Captain John Vaughn of the fire company put up a ladder, climbed it and carried her to safety.

Mr. and Mrs. Bushnell and the Marlins, their guests, were also on the third floor. Smoke and flame coming up the stairs and enveloping the fire escapes compelled them to sit in their windows and await the arrival of the firemen. No. 4 truck company ran up three ladders and brought them all to safety.

When the work of rescue was finished the firemen turned their attention to the blaze and extinguished it after a hard battle. Two companies were called and assisted No. 4. The fire damage was confined to the three foors of the one apartment, although tenants of the apartments on either side suffered damage by water.


Last night no cause for the fire had been discovered. M. G. Harmon, agent for the property, said that the loss will probably amount to $4,000 or $5,000. The "court" runs from Broadway to Washington street on Eighteenth street on both sides and includes twenty-two houses, accommodating four families each on as many floors. Howard B. Waldron, mayor of Hisllsdale, Mich., bought the property five years ago for $200,000 and $80,000 insurance is carried.

Mrs. August Josephson, mother of the baby that was dropped three stories, returned soon after the fire and found her child at her sister's, Mrs. H. O. Axene, at 402 Landis court.

Mrs. Holmquest is 28 years old and came here from Providence, R. I. She has been married eight months and is the wife of Theodore Holmquest, a porter, employed at the Emery, Bird, Thayer Dry Goods Company. He was at work yesterday and she had left her home at 1638 Pennsylvania avenue to visit Mrs. Josephson and was caring for the baby, Velma, while Mrs. Josephson attended a funeral. Velma is eight months old.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

January 24, 1908


Firemen Object to Going to Even
Eighteenth and Vine Streets.

An old row has broken out in the fire department over the color scheme, through the building of a double fire house facing the old baseball grounds on Independence avenue. No. 11, a negro company, has been in this district for many years. Now that a new station with facilities for two companies is being completed, preparations are being made to transfer this negro company to Eighteenth and Vine streets, where No. 10, a white company, now is, and send that company to Independence avenue to share the new station with some other white company.

The negroes do not want to go to the Vine street station and wire pulling has started. Property owners have got into the fight and the alderman, Lapp, is in all sorts of trouble.

"But the change will be made," said an official yesterday. "The chief runs the department and he has the right to change companies about. He knows that the district on Independence avenue has built up, and that there are flats built close to the fire station. He knows that a white and a negro company could not get along as well together in the same headquarters as two white companies, and all of us know that the negro firemen will find more of their people at Eighteenth and Vine streets than they have now in Independence avenue."

Labels: , , , ,

January 20, 1908


Peter Mettlach Raced the Streets in
Unseasonable Raiment.

Running races with automobiles and street cars in his underclothes was the strange pastime of Peter Mettlach of 901 East Eighteenth street last night. Mettlach was placed in a sanitarium at Thirty-first street and Euclid avenue about two weeks ago.

Last night about 7 o'clock he told a nurse that he wanted to go home. She refused to give him his clothes, telling him that he was not in condition to go home yet. Mettlach, however, took a different view of the situation and went on back into his room on the second floor of the house, opened up a window and climbed down the fire escape and to freedom. He then entered his wild gambols over the southeast part of the city.

Patrolmen from No. 9 and No. 5 police stations were detailed to pick him up. After several hours he was seen by the motorman of a Swope park car, running by the side fo the car. Seeing the man in his underclothes, bareheaded and barefooted, the motorman stopped the car and urged the man to get in the car. When the car arrived at Forty-eighth and Harrison streets two policemen took the man on up to Thirty-first and Troost avenue, where his relatives met him with some clothes and took him home.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

January 18, 1908


Judge Kyle Has a Session
With Wife Abusers.

"I wish I had before me this morning every man within my jurisdiction who abuses or in any manner mistreats his wife. I am just in the mood to give such men the limit. There are many more in this city and I wish they all could be apprehended," said Harry G. Kyle, police judge, yesterday morning just after he had fined three husbands $500 each.

The first one to come to bat was John Forest of 1311 1/2 Washington street. He was charged with disturbing the peace of his wife.

Frank Andrews of 417 East Eighteenth street was charged with non-support. He is a stock cutter for the Caton Printing company. Mrs. Andrews said that her husband came only only two or three nights in the week and that the rent and grocery bills were unpaid. He makes good wages. Andrews fondled his 6-year-old boy while the trial was in progress, and Judge Kyle said:

"You seem to think a lot of that boy now, but you certainly did not when you remained away from home over half the time. Five hundred dollars for you, too."

Andrews's mother and his wife both appeared against him.

In the trial of Clyde DeLapp, a bartender, charged with disturbing the peace of his wife, there was evidence hinting that an abortive attempt had been made to railroad Mrs. Helen DeLapp, the wife, to an asylum.

The DeLapps lived at 2625 Wabash avenue when most of the trouble occurred. After Mrs. DeLapp left her husband, on January 7, however, she had been staying with Mrs. R. A. Shiras at 1406 East Tenth street. Mrs. DeLapp's testimony, which was corroborated by Mrs. Shiras and by Mrs. J. H. Morse of 2622 Wabash avenue, was to the effect that DeLapp had dragged her from her home by her hair, choked her and beaten her.

Mrs. DeLapp said that an effort had been made to send her to an asylum by the certificate of two doctors, only one of whom she had ever seen, and that one had not examined her as to her sanity. DeLapp was fined $500.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

January 17, 1908


Grant Figs Delighted in the Reading
of Crimes of Blood.

Ellis Mitchell, a son of Israel Mitchell, at whose house at 2211 Lydia avenue Grant Figgs, confessed murderer of two people, lived for a while before his arrest, was examined by Deputy Prosecutor John W. Hogan yesterday afternoon and his statement was taken in short-hand, transcribed and signed. He repeated his first story, that Figs frequently asked him to read newspaper accounts of murders and other crimes. Figs seemed excited at hearing the details of killings and often sat with his eyes on the door for some time afterwards.

When the officers went to Mitchell's house yesterday they found the entire family hidden in the basement. It was only after repeated knocking that there was a response. The negroes said that they feared some of Figg's friends had come to kill them for telling on him. The police promised to protect them in the future.

Israel Mitchell told Hogan that Figs had a habit of hiding in the basement whenever anyone knocked at the door. Both the Mitchells identified the hammer found in Woodman's store, at 1112 East Eighteenth street as their hammer, which Figs had secured possession of before the murder of Woodman.

Figs was arraigned in Justice Mike Ross's court yesterday afternoon on two murder charges, one for the killing of H. O Woodman at 1112 East Eighteenth street, August 28, 1907, and one for the beating to death of Edward Landman of 1107 East Eighteenth street, on November 25. Figs declined to plead in either case, and the hearing in both was set for Saturday afternoon. James A. Dyer, George Burgman and Deputy Prosecutor Hogan escorted him from the county jail to the justice court and back.

The arraignment was held in the justice court, instead of direct in the criminal court, says John George, clerk of the justice court, because Figs wants all the time possible. Figs has no attorney yet, and no money.

Claude Brooks was taken from the county jail to police headquarters for a few minutes yesterday afternoon, photographed, measured and his fingerprints made. He will be arraigned either in the criminal court or in a justice court this afternoon for the murder of his benefactor, Sid Herndon, at the Navarro flats.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

December 31, 1907


R. J. Gibbons Is Overcome by Heart
Failure While Going Home.

Heart disease probably was the cause of the collapse last night on a Troost car of Dr. R. J. Gibbons, resulting in his death almost as soon as he was removed from the car to the Wirthman drug store, Eighteenth street and Troost avenue.

Dr. Gibbons had for years conducted a school for the cure of stammering in the Missouri building. Early last evening he left his home at 1010 East Eleventh street to meet some patients who were expected at the railway station. At 9:30 o'clock he boarded the Troost car at Tenth and Wyandotte streets.

The conductor noticed that he was very pale. Probably he became partly unconscious soon, for he did not ring for the car to stop when he was near home, and yet nothing wrong was noticed about him till at Sixteenth street he bent his head forward and leaned on the back of a seat. Conductor Wade was alarmed and two blocks farther on he and the motorman removed the then unconscious man to the drug store.

Dr. Gibbons was still alive when taken into the store, but he gasped only a few times and was dead before any physician could reach him.

Coroner G. B. Thompson came and viewed the body. He thought heart failure was probably the cause of death, but will hold an autopsy this morning at Freeman & Marshall's morgue.

Dr. Gibbons came to Kansas City sixteen years ago from Kentucky and was 54 years old. Only a wife survives him.

Dr. Gibbon's success in curing stammering was considered by many physicians to be phenomenal. Many high in the profession sent patients to him. Difficult cases, it is said, were cured by him often in one session.

No funeral arrangements had been made.

Labels: , , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory