Find Rare Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas - A Celebration of Kansas City Past!


Old News from Kansas City - Vintage New Items
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

December 21, 1909


Found in Band of Hat Dropped in
Escaping From Residence.

A picture of a burglar was found in the band of a hat he dropped in escaping when Mrs. Houser, 3820 Central street, met two men coming up stairs, after they had ransacked all the rooms on the ground floor, getting considerable valuable jewelry. The robbers had entered the back door by using a skeleton key.

Seeing Mrs. Houser, they escaped through a window and ran down the street. A grocery wagon driver saw them and took up the chase, being joined by a number of passersby. After a run of several blocks the robbers darted down an alley near Twenty-seventh street and Bellview avenue, and made their escape.

A portion of the jewelry was dropped by the thieves in their run. One of them in escaping dropped his hat which contained a small picture. Mrs. Houser identified it as one of the burglars. The police have been unable to find either man yet.

Labels: , ,

December 10, 1909


Soldier, Fatally Wounded, Unable to
Make a Statement.

As the result of a fight between privates of Troop F, Fifteenth United States cavalry, which occurred at Twelfth and Central last night, Frank McFadden is at the general hospital with a knife wound below his heart which may prove fatal, and John Chrobel is suffering from a badly gashed back. George Pease, who is supposed to have done the stabbing, was arrested by Patrolman J. J. Lovell and is held at police headquarters.

McFadden was hurried to the emergency hospital. Dr. H. A. Pond, seeing that the man was probably fatally injured, sent for Assistant Prosecutor Norman Woodson. Further examination of the man showed that the vagus nerve had been injured, affecting the vocal chords and rendering him in capable of speech, and the prosecutor could take no statement.

The troops at Fort Leavenworth, where the Fifteenth cavalry is stationed, were paid off yesterday and McFaddden, Chrobel and Pease came to Kansas City together. They spent all day in the North end of town and were on the way to a theater when the quarrel occurred.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

December 10, 1909



Gas Left Burning, and Pressure Be-
coming Great Early in Morning
Scorches Woodwork, Making
the Pipes Red Hot.

Because of the vigilance of a four-months old pup belonging to E. L. Hayden, at Sixth and Central streets, the nine-room house and probably the lives of Mr. Hayden and his family were saved from destruction by fire early yesterday morning.

As the gas was so low during the early part of the evening Mr. Hayden left the furnace fire going so that the house would be warm the next morning, and turned the flow on to its full capacity.

At about 3 o'clock he was awakened by the continuous howling of his dog in the room below. He went downstairs to investigate the cause.


The dog was jumping in a frenzy, throwing itself against the basement door. Upon opening the door Mr. Hayden hear gas hissing. He could hardly make his way down the stairs on account of the stifling fumes from scorching wood. Through the smoke he could see the glow of the furnace, which was red hot. The pipes were red with heat almost to where they were connected into the different rooms of the house.

The heat was so intense Mr. Hayden made his way to the gascock, only after he had thrown a blanket over his arm. He then used a poker to turn off the gas.


The pressure after midnight is strong as most people turn the gas off entirely about that time. Mr. Hayden had not thought of this while shivering in the early evening.

The fox terrier pup belongs to Mr. Hayden's son, who is a pharmacist at the Owl Drug store. The dog has been kept in the household much against Mr. Hayden's wishes. Several times when he has been in the country he has tried to lose his son's pet, but "Romeo" has always "come back."

"Now," said Mr. Hayden yesterday, "you bet that dog stays just as long as he wants to. He probably saved our lives." There are three children in the family.

Labels: , , , ,

December 7, 1909



Explosion Occurs While Steamfitters
Are at Work -- Other Men In-
jured -- Pickets Blown Off
Fence Across Alley.
Results of a Boiler Explosion at 908-10 Broadway.

By the explosion of a boiler in the basement of the six-story building at 908-10 Broadway at 11 o'clock yesterday morning, Michael Frawley and James Cox were killed outright, and Andrew Meyer and Essie Williams, a negro porter, so badly burned and otherwise injured that they died before nightfall. Two others were badly hurt, and three stories of the rear portion of the building were wrecked. Considerable damage also was done to adjoining structures.

Within two minutes business men and pedestrians in the neighborhood ventured to enter the front door of the building bent on rescuing those who were hurt. The flooring on the first and second stories had been splintered and a heavy partition in the middle of the building had toppled over. Every window glass on two stories had been blown out. Heavy timbers, torn from their places, hung over overhead, and for a time a general collapse of the rear section of the interior of the structure was feared.

The cause for the explosion is not known. Steamfitters employed by Val Wagner & Co., 3918 Main street, were adjusting a steamcock on the boiler, and were preparing to clean out the pipes. They had started to work last Saturday and yesterday morning they put fire under the boiler in order to do the cleaning. There was no forewarning of anything being wrong with the apparatus, and when the explosion occurred Michael Frawley, one of the steamfitters, was on top of the boiler. The boiler had not been in use for some time, and it is supposed that this is accountable for the very bad condition it was in when the workmen began the repairing.


James Cox, a driver for the Stewart Peck Sand Company, happened to be driving through the alley and had just reached the building when the explosion occurred. He was thrown bodily from the wagon and dashed to death against the brick pavement. C. R. Misner, another driver in the employ of the same firm, sat beside Cox. He too was hurled from the seat, but escaped with a fractured shoulder. Essie Williams, a negro porter, was in the boiler room at the time of the accident, and he was scalded from head to foot by the escaping steam. H e was hurried to the General hospital and died at 3:45 o'clock yesterday afternoon.

Andrew Meyer and W. H. Straubmeyer, plumbers, were at work on the boiler. Both seemed at first to have received minor injuries but Meyer was suffering from shock so he was sent to St. Mary's hospital. He did not rally, and it later developed that he was internally injured. He died at the hospital at 5:40 o'clock.


Michael Frawley, 2040 Madison avenue, was unmarried, an orphan, and 28 years old. He has lived in this city all his life. Two brothers, John and Emmett and two sisters, Mary and Kate Frawley, survive. His body was taken to the Wagner undertaking rooms.

Meyer, Forty-third and Hudson streets in Rosedale, was well known in Atchison, Kas., where he had worked as a steamfitter off and on for many years. He came to Kansas City recently and went to live with a brother at the Hudson street address in Rosedale. He was 45 years old and unmarried. His body was also taken to the Wagner undertaking rooms.

If James Cox, 1416 Central street, has relatives living they were not found last night, and it is almost certain they do not live in this city. He was about 35 years old. It is said he was single, but there is another rumor that he has a wife and child somewhere.

Edward Booker, business manager of the local steamfitters' union, said last night that none of the men killed or injured bore union cards. Frawley, he said, was merely a steamfitter's helper. He had once applied for a card in the union, but did not keep up with the requirements, and his membership was finally cancelled.

Essie Williams, 505 East Sixth street, the negro porter, was also a fireman. The whereabouts of his survivors have not yet been ascertained. His body was taken to the Countee undertaking rooms.

The wrecked building is the property of the Homestead Realty Company and is in the charge of David Bachrach, who as the agent, had the renting of the rooms. The block had been unoccupied recently, but the H. K. Mulford Company of Philadelphia was preparing to move its stock in on the third floor.

"It was a terrific shock which seemed to shake the foundation of our building from under us," said C. M. Lyon, president of the Lyon Millinery Company, which occupies the building adjoining on the south. "Several plate glasses crashed and I ran to the front door and out on the street fearing that possibly a second explosion might occur. the damage we suffered was comparatively small, but the fright we were given was large."

The picket fence surrounding the home of Mrs. Thomas E. Moran, 916 Bank street, just across the alley from the wrecked building, was partly demolished by the concussion and many pickets were torn from the fence and blown several feet away.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

November 29, 1909


250 Members of Kansas City Lodge
Honor Departed Brother.

The Kansas City lodge of the Loyal Order of the Moose had its first funeral yesterday afternoon, when it buried in Mount St. Mary's cemetery, Charles Burns, a contracting carpenter of 1316 Walnut street, who died in St. Mary's hospital last Tuesday. Mr. Burns was a charter member of the local order and the first of nearly 1,000 Kansas City Moose to die. Local lodge officials tried for several days to locate relatives of Burns in the East but without success.

Yesterday's funeral procession included 250 members of the order. It was headed by a brass band and started from the Moose club rooms, at Twelfth and Central streets. From there the cortege moved to the Cathedral, where the Catholic ceremonies were held, Father Lyons preaching the sermon.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

November 26, 1909



Defeat Jayhawkers In a
Great Battle 12 to 6.
Missouri Tigers Wallop the Kansas Jayhawks.

Bitterly, even heroically, contesting every inch of the Tigers' invasion the Kansas Jayhawkers went down to defeat before Missouri, by a score of 12 to 6. The biggest crowd that ever witnessed a football game in Kansas City passed through the gates yesterday at Association park. Long before the park opened at 12:30, large lines of rooters were headed for the different entrances and by 1 o'clock the 200 ushers were more than busy. Many persons who were unable to get seats took advantage of the buildings in the vicinity and trees, roofs and telegraph poles were crowded. The yelling was probably the best that was ever given by the rival universities.

Even when the Jayhawkers realized that they were beaten, their spirit was not broken. With the cheer leaders who were placed in the center of the field, 2,000 students echoed their famous war cry when they knew it was of no avail.


By 2 o'clock, a half hour before the game started, the seats were all taken .. It was one mass of color. On the south side the crimson and blue of Kansas flaunted saucily in the light breeze, while the somber yellow and black of Missouri floated in the north bleachers. Across the high board fence in the rear of the Missouri section, the Tiger enthusiasts had stretched a long canvas on which was painted "Missouri Tigers." It was unnecessary work, for any stranger in the city could have told from the yelling that the Missouri rooters were seated in that particular section.

The K. U. contingent was the first to open hostilities in the matter of yelling. The band, twenty-four in number, gayly dressed in crimson and blue suits, marched out on the field, and commenced to play the "Boola, Boola," which brought the Kansas rooters to their feet. For fully five minutes the Kansans had their inning. The cheer leaders with frantic gestures signalled for the famous "Rock Chalk," which echoed across the field for five more minutes.


The Tigers a few minutes later had their chance. Out on the Belt Line tracks on the north side of the park a snorting engine pushed a Pullman and from the entrance twenty-two men in football uniform emerged and stealthily crept toward the park. The springy step told that ten weeks' training had not been for nothing. Before the roots were hardly aware of their presence they had filed into the park through the north entrance. A cheer that could have been heard for a mile greeted the Missouri players. The military band commenced on "Dixie" and for a moment the air was one mass of yellow and black. The cheering only stopped when the team lined up for a signal practice.

The Kansas team arrived on the field at 1:45. They came through the southwest entrance and their red blankets were more than conspicuous as they raced across the gridiron. A cheer that rivaled the Tigers' greeting arose from thousands of Kansas admirers, and lasted fully as long as that given their rivals. Until the game started, promptly at 2:30 o 'clock, the two sections vied with each other in giving the yells of their respective schools. The Missouri band, to demonstrate its ability to play, marched in front of the Kansan stands and played a funeral dirge.

With this great victory goes the championship of the Missouri valley conference for 1909 and the honor of having an undefeated team for the season, the first Missouri ever had. Not only this, but it shows how superior Roper is as a coach over Kennedy, winning with an eleven lighter, no faster, but so thoroughly trained in football that it outclassed the Kansas team, especially in kicking.

This is the first battle the Missouri Tigers have won from Kansas since 1901. It is the first time Missouri has crossed the red and blue goal line since 1902. This is the fourth win for Missouri in the past nineteen years and so great was this victory that all Missouri is celebrating.

On straight football Kansas made 298 yards during the game while Missouri made but 190. On punting Missouri was the victor, making 780 yards in 21 attempts, for an average of over 37 yards to the punt, while Kansas made 465 yards in twelve attempts for an average of over 38 yards to the punt. Punting really won the game for Missouri.


Chancellor Strong's visit to President Hill of Missouri in a neighboring box was watched with interest.

"It's too bad; you will lose," the tall Kansas chief executive greeted President Hill. Both smiled and shook hands.

"Just watch," was President Hill's rejoiner.

Mayor Crittenden occupied a box in the center of the field in front of the Missouri section. When the first score was made a few minutes after the game started the mayor threw his had in the air and yelled like a collegian. Frank Howe, who sat in the same box, was equally as demonstrative.

When the second band of rooters arrived in the city yesterday morning they maintained the same confidence that existed until the kickoff. At Thirteenth and Central streets the Missouri band started a procession which was several blocks long. Up the principal streets of the city the crowd wended its way, giving the Tiger yell. In front of the Coates, the headquarters of the Jayhawkers, the long line stopped and gave a serenade. Even the "Rock Chalk" yell wasn't able to drown out the "Tiger, Tiger, M. S. U."


Though the Tigers were confident that they would win, the demanded odds and were generally successful in getting 2 to 1 money. It is thought that the boarding houses in Lawrence will have to wait for board for many weeks, for most of the K. U. students considered the proposition a joke that Missouri would win.

"Just putting your money out at good interest," was the way one K. U. man characterized it.

The crowd was especially well handled at the game. The twelve entrances provided enough room to admit ticket holders as fast as they applied for admission. After conclusion of the game there were jams at the gates, but no one was injured.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

October 22, 1909


Intruder, on Stairs, in Possession of
Other Female Garments.

Mrs. Mabel Stone, 1335 Central street, heard a man roaming through the hallway of her residence yesterday evening and promptly telephoned the police.

Patrolman Rogers appeared on the scene and arrested Fred Coyle, who he found sitting at the foot of the stairs trying on a woman's wig. He had other female garments in his possession.

Coyle stated that he was a female impersonator and that he was merely seeking a boarding house. He was held for investigation.

Labels: , ,

July 21, 1909


Veteran of 65 Married Woman of
27 Last May.

Broken alike in health and spirit without his bride of just two months, Henry C. Porter, the lame Civil war veteran, who at the age of 65 married Miss Carrie Clements, 27 years old, in the Moore hotel here May 10, returned to the scene of his nuptials July 10 last and found surcease from sorrow in death at the St. Mary's hospital Friday. On his advent in Kansas City, Porter pawned his watch for $9 in order to pay his room rent at the apartment house of Mrs. Mary A. Millichif at 1231 Walnut street.

"I am a broken down old man and the worst kind of a fool," Porter told Mrs. Millichif as he paid her the money. "I don't want pity; all I want is a little rest and time to think."

The body was taken to Wagner undertaking rooms. Attempts made by the proprietors of the establishment to locate Mrs. Porter have failed. Two brothers of the dead man, R. M. Porter of Williamston, Mich., and F. C. Porter of Englewood, Col., were notified by telegraph and they have replied to the effect that Porter had plenty of money and a pension of $45 a month. Had he lived until August 4 $138 would have been coming to him in accumulated pensions.

The old soldier first appeared here in the early part of last May when he broke into print with the announcement that although 65 years old, with his right leg missing and his right arm paralyzed, he was to marry Miss Clements, lately of Colorado Springs, who was fully a generation his junior.

The ceremony took place in the Moore hotel, Ninth and Central streets. The couple then departed on a tour of the East and were to sail around the Horn of San Francisco later.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

May 20, 1909


Girl Thwarts Young Man's Appar-
ent Attempt at Self-Destruction.

C. S. Brown raised a bottle of carbolic acid to his lips in the Union depot yesterday afternoon, but before he could swallow any of the drug Miss Hilo Pickerell, of St. Joseph, knocked the bottle from his hand. A depot patrolman took Brown to No. 2 police station, but on the intervention of Thomas McLane, a St. Joseph shoe salesman, and George Pickerell, he was not locked up. Miss Pickerell told the police that twice before she had knocked carbolic acid bottles from Brown's hand. Brown in an engraver and until one month ago lived in St. Joseph. Recently he has been staying at the Monarch hotel, Ninth and Central streets. He had gone to the depot to see the Pickerells on a train for St. Joseph.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

January 15, 1909


Call Mass Meeting to Discuss Status
of Political Refugees.

Handbills calling a protest mass meeting to be held in the Commercial Travelers' hall at Twelfth and Central streets Sunday afternoon have been issued by scholastic bodies of Kansas City.

The object of the meeting will be, as described in the circular, to protest against the deportation of certain political refugees from Russia and Mexico. The handbill is made up of an appeal to the American's love for justice and liberty and prays protection from the "autocracy of the tsar and of Diaz of Mexico."

The bill is signed by the Kansas City Socialist Club, the Workingmen's Circle and the Workingmen's Hebrew Progressive Self-Education Club.

Labels: , , ,

October 22, 1908


The Penalty Is $500 on Each Count.
Many Warrants Out for

Cocaine sellers had a bad day in the municipal court yesterday. In all the fines amounted to $5,000, and that amount was assessed against only two defendants, Christ Adams, clerk for Dr. Harrison Webber, a pharmacist at Fifth and Broadway, drew $500 on two counts each. Claud E. Marshaw, better known among the dope fiends and North End druggists as Goldie, was the second victim of the private investigation of City Attorney Clif Langsdale and was charged with selling cocaine on eight counts. Each count drew a $500 fine. He was convicted on the testimony of Myrtle Morton, a user of the drug.

Seven warrants are in the hands of Sergeant M. E. Ryan for service on C. B. (Bert) Streigle, formerly proprietor of the Fifth and Central streets pharmacy, for selling cocaine. The police could not find Streigle, although he was in the city and telephoned to several of his friends.

During the trial of Christ Adams his attorney, Charles Shannon, was pointed out by one of the cocaine fiends being used as a witness as the man who had put her out of Dr. Webber's drug store and warned her not to return. The attorney attempted to use the woman's mistake as grounds for dismissal of his client's case, but the court refused to listen to his argument.

Late yesterday afternoon T. M. Brinkley, the night clerk at the drug store at Fifth street and Broadway, appeared at city hall and gave himself up. He was wanted for selling cocaine. After appearing before the city attorney he was released on a personal bond to appear in court this morning.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

October 15, 1908





Color of Infant's Locks Was Source
of Worry to the Elderly Bruen-
ing in His Declining

Just last week Sarah Theresa Bruening, 1416 Central street, was sent around the corner to a private kindergarten in Thirteenth street. There are a lot of boarders at the Bruening home and Mrs. Bruening needed all her time to earn a living for herself and the baby. So Sarah Theresa was sent to kindergarten mornings while her mother did the work and, within a week, little Theresa was taught a lot of discipline. That gave the hard-working little mother of the child time -- and it meant more money and nice clothes for Theresa.

Today Sarah Theresa Bruening is one of the richest children in Kansas City. She was 4 years old September 26, and yesterday the stroke of an official pen in court estimated her holdings in notes, mortgages, stocks and bonds at $42,000. It is her share of the estate of her grandfather, Theodore Bruening, who lived at 2102 Troost avenue before his recent death. The elder Mr. Bruening did not have time to write a will -- he spent his time worrying because he feared little Sarah Theresa would have red hair. So the estate was divided among the widow, a son, three daughters and 4-year-old Sarah Theresa Bruening, whose father died before she was born.


Little Sarah Theresa hasn't planned on the manner in which she will spend or invest her suddenly acquired wealth. She doesn't know she has any wealth. But the child's mother, Mrs. Anna Smyth Bruening, has formulated a plan. She is going to devote her talents and time to realize it. Here it is:

"A good Catholic education; that's all the plan I have ever made for the baby."

Anna Smyth Bruening was born in Ireland. Little Sarah Theresa was born with blue eyes and light golden hair. And Ireland and golden hair worried the doting grandfather. His constant query when he visited his daughter-in-law was "Will she have red hair?" He often asked about Mrs. Bruening's father and mother and traced her family tree in search for the golden tresses. Finally he gave it up and said it was all account of the Irish. But the grandfather never ceased to worry because his little granddaughter had been endowed with golden locks, which her mother prized and knows will some day become the envy among Sarah Theresa's grownup women companions.

The old brick mansion at 1416 Central street doesn't belong to Mrs. Bruening. A trim little sign on the front door of the stately old house says "Board and Rooms." Mrs. Bruening's mother lives there too and the house is full of young men. By this means Mrs. Bruening has supported those dependent upon her efforts as a provider. She is only 30, but a life of endurance and work has powdered her hair silver. The young looking face is heavily shaded by a wealth of white hair, which one might expect to see a woman of twice her age possess.


Mrs. Bruening came from Ireland when she was 8 years old and her parents lived at St. Mary's Kas., where she was educated in a convent. When she left the convent she was married to Theodore Bruening, Jr., and he died a year and a half later. Then Sarah Theresa was born with her red hair and blue eyes and Mrs. Bruening has been working ever since. She doesn't intend to quit working now because her child has a fortune.

When the little girl was introduced to a Journal reporter she put her arm about her young mother's neck and whispered: "Honey, may I have a nickel?"

"Not today, dear," said the mother.

"Then mamma, honey, make it a penny," replied the child, with the resignation of a plutocrat willing to take all that was available.

When the penny, in turn, was declined, the child went out to play. She didn't cry.


It isn't likely that the board and room sign will come down form the front of the Bruening home. Sarah Theresa's mother, though young and pretty, has got into the way of making a living and wishes to keep busy. It is understood a settlement will be made upon her, too, and the income of the baby's holdings will be available, but Mrs. Bruening doesn't care much about spending money.

She has requested that a son of the baby's grandfather and benefactor, Henry Bruening, 3800 Washington street, be appointed guardian of the child. If Henry Bruening should not live long enough to hand over Sarah Theresa's property when she becomes of age, then Mrs. Bruening thinks maybe she will have time to be in a position to look after her daughter's stocks and bonds and things.

There was over $200,000 in the estate of the elder Theodore Bruening and about $115,000 of it was personal property. He was a general contractor and his son, Sarah Theresa's father, was his employe until the younger man's death.

Sarah Theresa will continue at the kindergarten for a while. Later, according to her mother's plans, she will enter St. Theresa's or the Loretta academy for the finished education Mrs. Bruening has dreamed about so long and worked so hard for.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

October 13, 1908


Not the Big Noise, but a Meek Sales-
man From New York.

Minus the cheers of crowds and blare of brass bands, William Taft is again in Kansas City.

When seen yesterday at the Coates house, where he is stopping, he didn't care to express his opinion of the political situation, but was perfectly willing to talk about the troubles of a traveling salesman, for that is his vocation. He wrote New York after his name on the register.

A carpenter bearing the same distinguished name lives at 715 Central street.

Labels: , , , , ,

September 27, 1908


Then Bert Stregel, Druggist, Was
Arrested and Arraigned in Court.

Bert Stregel, a druggist at Fifth and Central streets, and his clerk, E. C. Ellis, were arraigned in police court yesterday charged with selling cocaine to Willie Smith, a 15-year-old messenger boy who was tried before the juvenile court Friday. Both asked for continuances, and they were granted until Tuesday.

The boy testified that he has been addicted to the cocaine habit for the last four months. He named three places where he bought the drug, Charles Gidinski's, Nineteenth and Grand, Dudley & Hunter's, 1303 Grand, and Bert Stregel's, Fifth and Central. Edgar Warden, a probation officer, went with him to Stregel's and watched the boy buy a box of cocaine.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

September 21, 1908



"Judge" James Hunter, a settler in Westport since 1826 and one of the most familiar figures of the old town, died at the Harris house in Westport, where he had lived for twenty-five years, at 4 o'clock yesterday afternoon, at the age of 88 years old.

Born eighty-three years ago in Russellville, Ky., James Hunter, at the age of 1 year, came with his father, the Rev. James M. Hunter of the then Cumberland Presbyterian church, to where Westport now is, in 1826. There was but one house in the place, a cabin owned by Frederick Chouteau, which was hotel, general store, and, in fact, the whole settlement under one roof. Rev. Hunter started another store, where he had saddlery, general merchandise and notions, now the corner of Southwest boulevard and Penn street. At this time Kansas City was not in existence. Young Hunter later started in the saddlery business. He also became the owner of a tract of about eighty acres between Twenty-eighth, Thirty-third, Main and Holmes streets. this he afterwards disposed of very cheaply. At the age of 30 years he married Miss Eleanor Stevens of Cass county, Mo., but she lived only a year. They had no children.

About 1854 the great movement across the plains was at its highest point, and James Hunter and his younger brother, Thomas, went into the freighting business. Their long caravans of prairie schooners, drawn by oxen, toiled slowly across the dry plains from Westport to Santa Fe, hauling every sort of necessity for the settlers in the gold fields. The profit was brought back in the form of gold dust, and debts were paid with the dust in Westport, as well as in San Francisco. Both of the brothers made their headquarters in Santa Fe, but they were constantly on the move, and Westport saw them several times a year.

When the civil war broke out they had not time to mix in the quarrels of the North and South -- they were interested in the development of the Western country. They continued to run their business right through the war. Their name became known everywhere along the great trail, and they waxed wealthy.

The inception of the railway proved the ruin of their freight business. In 1871 James Hunter gave up the trade and moved from Santa Fe back to Westport, where he had lived ever since. He became a notary public and in 1886 was elected police judge of the town. Twenty-five years ago he registered at the Harris house, then the leading hotel in Westport, and retained a room there until his death.

Two brothers and a sister survive, Dr. D. W. Hunter of Dallas, Tex.; Thomas H. Hunter of 4013 Central street and Mrs. E. H. Huffaker of El Paso, Tex.

The funeral services will be at 10 o'clock Tuesday morning from the residence of Thomas H. Hunter. Burial will be in Union cemetery.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

August 30, 1908





David B. Kirk, Sr., Captures Cards
and Chips, and She Sweeps Up
$5 Bill -- All Held as Evidence.

Wondering what attraction her husband found to keep him down town until the wee small hours of the morning, Mrs. David Kirk, Jr., 3120 Euclid avenue, daughter-in-law of David B. Kirk, foreman of the grand jury, started an investigation which culminated last Thursday night in her wrecking a pool hall located at 715 Central street after she discovered her husband in a rear room playing poker.

For some time Mrs. Kirk had been disturbed in mind because her husband had begun to keep late hours and could not give to her any satisfactory reasons for his so doing. A week ago five men were arrested by Detectives Robert Phelan and Scott Godley, who charged them with gambling. In some mysterious way Mrs. Kirk heard that her husband was one of the men, as did also his father in law, David B. Kirk, foreman of the grand jury. When taxed with being arrested Kirk, Jr., denied it to his wife, and she asked the assistance of her father-in-law.

The son was called into the father's office and denied that he had been arrested, but admitted that a friend had been caught gambling in a raid that detectives made on the pool hall and that he had gone to the station and deposited $17 bond for his friend.

David B. Kirk, 3217 Montgall avenue, foreman of the grand jury, was at his desk in his office in the M. K. & T. building about 7 o'clock last evening when he received a telephone call from his daughter-in-law. She said that her husband was not at home and that she was worried about him. She finally left her home, 3120 Euclid avenue, and went to Mr. Kirk's office. He talked to her and endeavored to pacify her and then they started home. She suggested that they stroll down to the suspected pool hall and see if David, Jr., was there. Mr. Kirk said last night that the pool hall was brilliantly lighted, the billiard balls racked, but the room was empty.


Mrs. Kirk refused to be satisfied. She opened the door and walked in. A door at one end of the room led to another beyond. The glass panels were painted white and it was impossible to see what was behind them. Mr. Kirk and his daughter-in-law could hear men's voices, the clicking of chips and the shuffling of cards. She knocked on the inside door as it was locked. A man partly opened it, probably expecting to see another poker player to join the crowd, and that act led to the wrecking of the hall later on.

Mr. Kirk succeeded in getting her foot between the door and the jamb, and, assisted by Mr. Kirk, Sr., she pushed the door open. Inside was her husband and four or five other men. They had attempted to conceal all evidence of the gambling that was going on in the room, but overlooked one $5 bill A man remarked that the money belonged to him, but was surprised as the rest when Mrs. Kirk picked up the bill and said he had evidently made a mistake. She placed the money in her chatelaine bag. Mr. Kirk got some poker chips and cards as evidence.


Fearing that the commotion would attract a crowd, Mr. Kirk took his son's wife and started to leave the building. As the two went through the pool hall Mrs. Kirk's anger arose beyond control, and the red and white ivory balls seemed to drive her frantic. Rushing to one of the tables she picked up the balls and began throwing them through the mirrors in the room. Exhausting the supply of balls on the first table she quickly gathered up those on the table next to it and finished all the mirrors in the hall.

Going from one table to another the now enraged woman scooped up the little ivories and pasted them through the plate glass windows and out into the street. After she had thrown every everything she could handle she consented to leave. Mr. Kirk, her father-in-law, says they went to Eighth street and endeavored to find a policeman, but not a sight of one they could catch. Down one block and up another street the two people walked, hunting, searching and looking for a minion of the law, but in vain.


Just as Mr. Kirk, Sr., was calling the grand jury into session Friday morning he was informed that there was an urgent telephone call for him. He answered it and, last night, he said that his son was at the other end of the wire. Young Kirk told his father that Charles W. Prince, owner of the pool hall, was in his office and desired to know what reparation he intended to make for the damage of furniture and building resulting from his wife's actions. The young man wanted his father to tell him what to do. "Mr. Prince wants to talk to you," said the son. The father stated last night that he answered by saying: "If Mr. Prince wants to talk to me, he'll have to do the talking before the grand jury. That was the last Kirk, Sr. heard of Prince. It is not likely that that will be the last Prince will hear of Kirk, Sr., or of the grand jury, either.

When asked what action would be taken by him, Mr. Kirk, Sr., stated that he had called the prosecuting attorney into the grand jury room and told the whole story, shielding no one, asking no mercy for anyone.

Asked if an indictment would be returned by the grand jury against anyone for either gambling or keeping a gambling house, Mr. Kirk stated that the prosecuting attorney had informed the grand jury that Mr. Kirk had not secured enough evidence against anyone to make a conviction in the criminal court. The money, the cards, the chips, the table with its green cloth and white covering were not sufficient evidence, the prosecuting attorney told them. According to Mr. Kirk, to secure a conviction the state would have to have witnesses who could testify that they had seen the men gambling.

David B. Kirk, Jr., is 32 years of age. He is a millers' agent.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

June 26, 1908





Home Where Ceremony Was Being
Held Set on Fire Accidentally.
The "Cutups" Find New
Source of Torment.

Jokers made an attempt to fumigate the residence of Mrs. N. P. Maupin, 3609 Wyandotte street, Wednesday night while Mrs. Maupin's daughter was being married in the parlor to Harry Pierce, a furnishing goods dealer. As a result of the prank Robert Maupin, brother of the bride, may have an injured left hand the rest of his life, and J. J. Foster, a wedding guest, is still confined at his home, 2001 Woodland avenue, ill from inhaling deadly sulphur fumes.
The wedding ceremony was just performed and the formalities of bride-greeting were on, when Robert Maupin left the room to investigate the source of sulphur fumes, which had annoyed the guests during the last few minutes of the wedding service. He entered a rear room and was almost overcome by the fume before he discovered the tray on which the sulphur was burning.
The jokers who placed the sulphur inside had closed the window again and Mr. Maupin was forced to raise the sash with one hand while he held the tray of burning sulphur in the other. The window "stuck," he jerked impatiently, and the tray was overturned. The burning mass ran over Mr. Maupin's left hand and he screamed in pain.
In the meantime, J. J. Foster, who had gone in search of Maupin, heard the latter's startled cry and rushed into the room. The window curtains were ablaze and the carpet was burning. The deadly fumes prostrated Mr. Foster beore he could get out of the room, after putting out the fire and aiding Mr. Maupin with the window and the sulphur tray.
Dr. Allen L. Porter was called from his residence at 3001 Central street. He revived Mr. Foster and treated Mr. Maupin's hand. Mr. Foster was then taken to his home and later another physician was called in consultation. Last night Mr. Foster was unable to leave his house. He insisted last night on going to the telephone and talking to Maupin. He had intended offering a reward for the detection of the jokers who caused his injury. Mr. Maupin, however, said he would prefer not to prosecute because he is sure the fumigating method was taken by friends, who merely tried to frighten the bride and groom.
The flesh was burned from Maupin's hand, and the attending physician stated that some of the finger joints may remain stiff. Mr. Pierce and his bride, who was Miss L. Maupin, will leave tonight for a honeymoon tour of California and the Pacific coast. Their departure was postponed on account of the serious injury to the bride's brother and their guest.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

June 7, 1908



Cafes That Made a Specialty of Serv-
ing Drinks to Women and
Their Escorts Visited by
Plain Clothes Men.

The recent midnight visit of Police Commissioner Elliot H. Jones to the wine rooms in the vicinity of Eighth and Central streets resulted in wholesale raids last night, in which the police gathered in thirty women, took them to police headquarters, wrote their names on the "arrest" book, and then turned them loose on bond. Four wine rooms were raided in less than an hour after 10:30 o'clock, when the first swoop was made by policemen in plain clothes. The thirty women were secured at three of these places, commonly called cares, while at the fourth place, the Bull Dog care, at Eighth and Wyandotte streets, the raids had been tipped off, and a number of women and their escorts had disappeared.

Captain Walter Whitsett led the raid at Levy's cafe at 123 West Eighth street. It was just 11 o'clock when he and Patrolmen J. F. Murphy and J. F. Brice and D. C. Stone walked into the care and announced that the place was "pinched." The women were ordered out into a waiting patrol wagon. A second trip was made before twenty of them were safely transported to police headquarters.

Women only were arrested in these raids In some instances the escorts were allowed to go to police headquarters in the patrol wagon bu they went only to give bond for the women. Of the twenty women arrested at Levy's cafe, escorts gave bond for six of them, while Levy gave bond for the other fourteen.


The first raid was made at 10:30 o'clock at the Hotel Moore cafe at 206 West Ninth street. Patrolmen C. E. McVey, J. F. Brice and J. F. Murphy were the arresting officers. Three women fell into the clutches of the law in this cafe. They were sitting at the tables drinking with their escorts when the men in plain clothes walked in and arrested them. Simultaneously a raid was made on the Aldine cafe at the southwest corner of Eighth and Central streets. Patrolmen Ben Sanderson, John Julian and D. C. Stone conducted this raid. When they entered the place they found seven women and their escorts and as in the other cafes, they were drinking. The escorts of the women who were arrested in these places went to police headquarters and put up a bond for them.

Immediately after these raids the sortie was made on Levy's place. This is a favorite restaurant-wine room for the men and women who frequent such places, and there is always a crowd there. Especially is this true on Saturday night. Last night was no exception.


The operations of the raiding squad were soon made known in the district. By the time that the squad had reached Levy's place and the patrol wagon had been backed up to the main entrance, a large crowd had gathered. East bound street car traffic was tied up while the women were being loaded into the wagon. Passengers on the cars had an excellent opportunity to see the raid and they availed themselves of that opportunity.

The raid on Levy's place was conducted with so much publicity that the news ran over the district like wildfire, and ten minutes afterward every one of these places was deserted by women. The programme had included a raid on the Bull Dog cafe over Harry Lunn's saloon at the southwest corner of Eighth and Wyandotte streets. This cafe has been growing in favor with the class of people who frequent such places, but the tip had gone out and when the raiding squad arrived they found the place practically deserted.


All of those places raided last night were visited by Mr. Jones Wednesday night. Clad in motor car togs, he drove around over the district in his motor car, stopping at every place that gave evidence of being frequented by women. His was not a perfunctory examination of these rooms. Invariably he stepped inside and surveyed the scene. He also made not of the fact that invariably the rooms were connected with the bar room by an open doorway, a direct violation of an order of the police board.

Thursday night came and there was no cessation in the patronage. The word has gone out that the visit of the commissioner was simply a bluff or something to that effect, and Friday night sufficient confidence had been restored to enable the proprietors of such places to practically insure protection to their patrons. If there had ever been a scare there was no evidence of it last night until the raiding squad swooped down upon the unsuspecting proprietors and patrons. Contrary to precedent, the escorts of the women who frequented these places, were not arrested. The police gave no reason for this action. All the women were subsequently released on bond.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

May 13, 1908


Francis Phillips, a Jackson County
Pioneer, Is Dead.

A citizen of Jackson county since 1850, Francis Phillips, father of Captain Thomas Phillips, license inspector, died yesterday at the home of the latter, aged 90 years.

Mr. Phillips was a native of Monahan county, Ireland, and came direct from there to Independence. On a farm one mile north of that city he lived for forty-five years and eighteen years ago came to Kansas City to reside with his son. Three other children survive him: Mrs. E. J. Cannon and Mrs. George Brangin of this city, and Frank Phillips, living near Olathe, Kas., who was formerly a member of the Missouri legislature.

The burial is to be in Independence cemetery tomorrow forenoon, after services at the home, 3540 Central street, at 8:30 o'clock, and at St. Aloysius church, Eleventh street and Prospect avenue, at 9:30 o'clock.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

March 17, 1908


Mamet Rahji, an Assyrian, May Die
From Wound in Lung.

An Assyrian who said his English name was George Karney and his real name Mamet Rahji, was taken to the emergency hospital late yesterday afternoon suffering from a stab wound in the left lung which barely missed the heart. He was attended by Dr. R. A. Shiras and put to bed. Karney, or Rahji, has been working as a porter at 419 West Tenth street. He has been in this country four years and in the city one month.

He said that he was sent down town to make some purchases about 5 p. m. On Central street near fire headquarters he met up with several men sitting on the curbstone. One of them, a man with a white mustache, was exhibiting a pair of shoes.

"He wanted me to buy them, but I refused, as they were too large," said the Assyrian. "I started to walk away and the man, who was angry, followed after me. About half a block away he walked up and stuck a knife in my left side. Then he ran."

Dr. Shiras said that the man's wound is a dangerous one and may cause death from pneumonia. The police are searching for the shoe salesman.

Labels: , , , , , ,

March 10, 1908


Mrs. Pansy Gaulter Says Husband's
Mother Made the Trouble.

Mrs. Pansy Gaulter, whose baby was snatched from her arms by her husband, Loren Gaulter, at Sixth and Central streets Saturday afternoon, said last night that no trace had yet been found of either Gaulter or the child. The last she saw of him was when he ran down Central street to Fifth street and through a building at 306 West Fifth. He is said to have met a woman at Fourth and Broadway and to have later taken a Leavenworth electric car The kidnaping was reported to the Humane Society, and W. H. Gibbbens has a warrant for Gaulter.

It was a mistake to say that my mother caused any trouble between us," said Mrs. Gaulter. My mother-in-law caused all the trouble and she had made trouble before. Finally I told y husband I would not live with his people any more, and he then wanted me to live with his uncle. When I refused that also caused trouble. It was his people, not mine, that caused our separation."

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

March 8, 1908



Mysterious Case, in Which the Prin-
cipals, After Causing a Grand
Furor, All Dropped
Out of Sight.

To kidnap a baby from the arms of its mother on a public street at high noon, run several blocks pursued by 250 people and the frantic mother and to finally make good his escape through a basement on West Fifth street, was the record made by a father yesterday.

A woman was walking on Sixth street near Central at noon yesterday, carrying her baby. As she neared the corner a man appeared, grabbed the child from its mother's arms and ran north on Central street -- the baby under his coat. At Fifth street he turned west as far as the Coca-Cola Bottling Company, 302 West Fifth street. In the door he darted, slamming it after him. The kidnaping caused great excitement and the man with the baby was pursued by a mob which jammed about the door.

The woman from whom the baby had been snatched was a blonde, tall and wore a brown cloak and a small hat with a white veil. As she ran she cried to the pursuers, "Stop him! He's my husband and has got my child and will kill it. I know he sill. Stop him!"

An elderly woman dressed in black appeared on the scene, from where no one seemed to know, and overtook the fleeing mother. Several times she tried to detain her, but when frantic efforts failed, the woman in black grabbed a small hand satchel from the other woman and gave up the chase.

Charles E. McVey, desk sergeant at police headquarters, was passing and saw the crowd. The woman in brown appealed to him to get her baby which was being stolen, saying again that it would be killed. McVey ran into the bottling works and took a freight elevator to the top floor, having been told that the man with the baby had gone that way. When he descended, however, he was informed that the man had left by the basement door in the rear.

J. B. Jewell, manager of the bottling works, said: "The man who went through here with the baby in his arms was Loren Gaulter, who formerly worked here. The woman who pursued him was his wife. They have been married about two years and the baby is probably 6 months old. They last lived in Independence, Mo., but I never knew of their having had any family troubles."

Until five days ago, Gaulter was employed in the mail department at the Union depot as a truck handler. At that time he quit suddenly and what became of him no one there knew.

The man with the baby ran through an open lot in the rear of the bottling works and made his way to Fourth and Broadway, where, witnesses said, he was met by another woman The two were later seen to board a Leavenworth car, it was said. McVey had trouble in dispersing the crowd, and when quiet was restored all the principals in the affair had disappeared.

The distracted mother made her way around the block and through the alley by which the man and baby had escaped. To a man loading a car in the rear of the Richards & Conover Hardware Company's store she appealed to help her. That man, who said he knew the woman, gave the name of Young. He said she was Mrs. Gaulter, but he did not know where she lived. Harry Williams, a negro porter in a barber shop at 316 West Fifth street, saw the man with the baby under his coat leave the bottling works by the rear basement door. When he called out, "That man's stolen that baby," he said the man ran faster than ever.

Jewel said that after all the excitement was over a young woman, known to him as Gaulter's sister, called on him. She asked where "the folks" had gone, Jewel said, and intimated, that she would have gone with them. The wife was heard to remark that if her husband got out of town, she new he would take the baby to Iowa.

The kidnaping was not reported to the police or to the Humane Society, consequently neither worked on the case.

Mrs. Belle Slaughter, who formerly lived at 1639 Washington street, is the mother of Mrs. Gaulter. Until two days ago the Gaulter's lived at 612 East Ninth street, and appeared to be happy, neighbors say, until Mrs. Slaughter appeared. It is thought that Mrs. Slaughter is the woman who appeared and took Mrs. Gaulter's handbag during the chase after the husband and child.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

February 29, 1908


Man Claiming to Be Husband of Sui-
cide Shows Indifference.

Mrs. Maude Bearden was taken to the emergency hospital last night suffering from the effects of carbolic acid, which she took with suicidal intent She died within twenty minutes.

Soon after a man called at the hospital and said that he was the woman's husband.

"Where was her home?"

"Her parents live at Osceola, Mo.," said the man.

"Where did she live here?"

"I don't know and I don't care."

"Do you want to take charge of the body?"

"I do not."

And the man who said he was the husband left the station. It was learned that Mrs. Bearden had been living at 510 Central street. She was seen standing at Fifth and Central streets at 8 o'clock last night by G. E. Ritchey, a saloon man. He saw her raise a bottle to her lips. He ran toward her, but it was too late. She had swallowed about three ounces of carbolic acid. Mrs. Bearden was 28 years old.

Labels: , , , ,

December 15, 1907


Twice Within a Week the Police Raid
a Central Street Place.

For the second time within a week, a raid was made upon an alleged gambling resort at 715 Central street, by the police last night, when prisoners taken, card tables and poker chips confiscated when Sergeants McCosgrove and Ryan and seven patrolmen broke into the place last night they found brand new paraphernalia, including a "kitty," and the usual accessories of a poker game. Al Thompson, said to be a gamekeeper, G. H. Smith and R. T. Jones, frequenters, were taken to police headquarters. All these names are said to be fictitious. Thompson gave a cash bond of $51 and the others $11 each for appearance in police court in the morning.

Labels: , ,

October 4, 1907


Workman on Scarritt Building Meets
With Strange Accident.

Louis Optiz, an electrician 24 years old, met with an unusual accident while working in the sub-basement of the Scarritt building yesterday. He was working with some wires when he accidentally came in contact with a live one. The wire would have caused him no trouble had it only touched his clothing, but it struck a metal fastening on his suspender.

The current consumed the metal in a flash. The blaze set fire to the man's clothing and he was severely burned along the right side, arm and shoulder. Dr. W. L. Gist, at the emergency hospital, dressed the injury and Opitz was taken home by a friend. He lives at 915 Central street.

Labels: , , , ,

August 18, 1907


He Has Confederates Who Rob While
Picture Is Being Taken.

A man with a kodak who will "snap" you for nothing while his pal picks your pockets is what C. J. Richardson says happened to him. Richardson is a carpenter's apprentice, and lives at 1327 Central street. One evening after working hours he was passing Fourteenth and Walnut streets, when a seemingly accommodating young man with a kodak suggested that he stand with a group of fellows while a snap shot was taken. Richardson did so, and noticed that the members of the group stood with their arms around each other. After a few minutes he missed his purse, containing $3. He reported his loss at No. 4 police station, half a block away, and gave a description of the man whose arm had been around him. The police arrested Ted Nolan, who was identified by Richardson. He will be arraigned in a justice court tomorrow.

Labels: , , , ,

April 7, 1907


Wounds of Clarance Logan Cauterized
at Emergency Hospital.

While running along the street in the vicinity of Eleventh and Central yesterday, Clarence Logan, 10 years old, living at 800 Penn street, was attacked and bitten on the right hand by a vicious dog. The boy was taken at once to the emergency hospital in the city hall, where Dr. W. L Gist cauterized the wound. The dog, a mongrel, ran away.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

March 24, 1907


Girl Sues for Breach of Promise, Man
for a Ring.

While a case in which George W. Dunlap is suing to recover a diamond ring he claims is in the possession of Ida May Price, of 1827 Jefferson street, was pending in Justice Shepard's court, yesterday, Ida May Price in retaliation instituted suit against Dunlap to recover $30,000 for alleged breach of promise.

In her petition in the breach of promise case which as filed in the circuit court, Miss Price claims that she had been keeping company with Dunlap for a considerable length of time, and from about May, 1906, and frequently thereafter promised, at his request, to marry him.

In his suit to recover the diamond ring, Dunlap claims that he only lent the ring to Miss Price. The case is set for March 29.

Miss Price is a clerk, and Dunlap is proprietor of a clothes cleaning establishment on Central street.

Labels: , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory