Find Rare Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas - A Celebration of Kansas City Past!


Old News from Kansas City - Vintage New Items
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

September 1, 1909


Riders in Kansas City on Last Leg
of Their Trip.

Charles W. Neff, a jeweler of St. Joseph, Mo., and C. C. Anderson, an automobile dealer of Creston, Ia., arrived in Kansas City last evening ready for the last leg of a 1,600 mile motorcycle trip which started at St. Joseph and circled around Beaver.

It was dark when the men reached town and they lost no time in getting into barber chairs at the Blossom house. Later in the evening they visited the Union depot and met some friends whom they were expecting from Oklahoma.

"Our ride is the longest on record so far for a motorcycle in this section of the country," said Mr. Neff. "We meant to prove that it could be made and we have succeeded in demonstrating that fact. We made the trip to Beaver from St. Joseph in three days. We went by way of Topeka and Garden City and on our return hit the Santa Fe trail and followed it all the way. We had trouble but once and that was a single tire puncture which occurred to my wheel. We will leave for St. Joseph in the morning."

Labels: , , , , , ,

May 25, 1909



When Mrs. Lulu Johnson, who is 43, on her wedding eve left in the lurch her fiance of 60, Alexander Quist, a rich retired farmer of Rock Island, Ill., to whom she was to have been married here last night, she blighted a middle-aged romance which started last January in Amarillo, Tex.

Besides his hopes of happiness, Mr. Quist told Inspector of Detectives Edward Boyle last night that she took with her jewelry, diamonds and clothing valued at $1,000.

If the plans of the police are carried out Mrs. Johnson will be taken from a Chicago train at Louisiana, Mo., at an early hour this morning, and asked to explain.


Quist, who is very wealthy, went to Amarillo in January on real estate business. While there he met Mrs. Johnson, a handsome widow who was more than pleased with the Illinois farmer. In less than a month she had consented to marry him, and by the middle of February they had started to Kansas City where, he says, they intended to unite at once.

The license, Quist says, was secured when they arrived in Kansas City, but after due consideration, Mrs. Johnson concluded that she needed more time to prepare her trousseau. She therefore deemed it advisable to return to Texas, while her aged lover went back to Rock Island. Before parting, however, Quist says he gave her diamond earrings valued at $300, a diamond ring which cost $200 and enough cash to bring the bill to about $700. With the license in his pocket he departed in a happy frame of mind.

During March and April, the two corresponded regularly, and on May 19 Quist concluded to return to Amarillo, as he was certain that the wedding finery must be finished. Sure enough, everything was in readiness, and two days ago the two started for Kansas City a second time. As the license had been secured in Missouri, both agreed that the proper place for marriage would be in Kansas City.


They reached Kansas City yesterday morning. After ordering luncheon at the Blossom house, the bride-to-be concluded to run up town and visit the shopping district. She would return by 6 o'clock, she said, after which they would secure a clergyman who would undoubtedly be glad to perform the marriage ceremony. Before leaving Quist says he gave her currency which brought the bill to about $1,000, he later estimated.

After strolling about the city yesterday afternoon, he returned to the Blossom house a few minutes before 6 o'clock. At the desk he was given a letter, which he opened with indifference, though he noticed the handwriting was Mrs. Johnson's.

He began to take a lively interest when he read the following note:

"Dear Ducky -- I hate to write this, but I must. Time has shown me that we could not be happy together, so I must leave you. Don't say anything about this and the folks in Amarillo will never know the difference. Ever your loving, LULU. P. S. -- Thanks."

At the Union depot he learned that a woman answering Mrs. Johnson's description had purchased a ticket for Pittsburg, Pa., and had boarded a Chicago & Alton train. He then conferred with the detective department.

"Yes, I mean to have my property back," he declared at police headquarters. "She may have made a fool of me, but I'm going to get even with her."

Labels: , , , , , ,

May 21, 1909


But Hayti Has Timber Wealth, Says
Citizen of Port au Prince.

William Hepple, a resident of Port au Prince, Hayti, who is a guest at the Blossom house, yesterday declared that there was in the islands of Hayti miles of high forests of white and yellow pine and mahogany. Mr. Hepple is in Kansas City to secure aid in cutting these forests and milling the lumber.

Mr. Hepple said that the country had recuperated from the effects of the recent revolution and that the people were well satisffied with the present administration of President Simon. He declared that Hayti was not a white man's country and that no white man could prosper there unless he had plenty of money, or was commissioned to represent foreign interests.

Labels: , , ,

May 5, 1909


When Minnesota Sheriff Went for
Food, Alleged Forger Decamped.

Because he was obliging and left his supposedly ill prisoner alone while he went to get him some tea and toast, Henry Terhaar, sheriff of Jackson county, Minn., lost Dr. Frank Hanson, whom he was taking to Minnesota from Colorado Springs to answer to a charge of forgery.

Sheriff Terhaar arrived in Kansas City with Hanson Monday afternoon. As Hanson had complained of illness before the train reached Kansas city, Terhaar took him to the Blossom house, engaged a room on the fifth floor and sent for a physician. Yesterday noon Hanson declared he was unable to arise. It was then that Terhaar went for food. When he returned Hanson had decamped.

Patrolman John Coughlin, stationed at the Union depot, after being shown a photograph of Hanson, declared that a man answering his description had boarded the Santa Fe train at 12:15 o'clock.

Hanson was the family physician of Sheriff Terhaar and the two men were friends. He is wanted on charges of forgery and embezzlement, the amount involved being about $8,000.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

February 22, 1909


Signor di Vazquez Says Nice Things
About the United States.

That the finest horses and cattle in the world are to be procured in the United States is the assertion of Arturo LaTour di Vazquez, a Mexican mining expert and cattle buyer of Mexico City, now at the Blossom house. with him is Dorocco Fernandez, whose card bears the inscription of "dealer and importer of pure live stock."

"Mexico is one of the best customers that this country has," said Signor di Vazquez. Annually we import nearly $50,000,000 worth of cattle and grain from this country to ours. But American tourists in Mexico also spend great sums of money there. It may be that one will equal the other.

"Another thing you may not know is that Americans pay taxes in my country on nearly $800,000,000 of property."

Labels: , , ,

January 25, 1909


Call Determined to Build One That
Will Fly.

"Kansas must have an airship that will fly, and be just as successful as the Wright aeroplane which has opened the eyes of the people in France and the whole world," Henry Laurens Call of Girard, Kas., who made an unsuccessful attempt to sail his airship a few weeks ago, said yesterday at the Blossom house in Kansas City. Mr. Call is very determined in his efforts to build an airship that really will fly, and he has set about once more gathering material for the Call airship No. 2.

"Kansas is never behind the times in anything it undertakes to do, and it is not going to be behind the times in this airship business," continued Mr. Call. "My second airship will be constructed on practically the same plans as the first, but the defects in the first ship will be remedied and changes will be made where necessary. I was the subject of many newspaper jokes while attempting to find atmospheric conditions at Girard, Kas., a few weeks ago that would permit me to make a successful demonstration of my airship, but it was no joke with me. I am thoroughly in earnest and the plans I am working on will prove to the people that no joke has been perpetrated on them by me."

Mr. Call intimated that may seek some other place to experiment with his new airship, though he may decide to make a public demonstration at the same place. You can't talk anything about wheat growing, cattle raising and dry farming with Mr. Call. It is all airships with him and he says he is going to stay right with it until he has mastered the art of air navigation.

"A fellow should never become discouraged over one disappointment," Mr. Call said. "That isn't the way things are done in Kansas. When a thing is possible, and we know the airship has been successfully demonstrated, the only way to make a complete success of it is to keep trying. That is what I propose to do."

Mr. Call already has begun the construction of his second airship, and before the end of another year he hopes to be sailing over the plains of Kansas. He says that if his ship is successful he will stay in America instead of seeking foreign plaudits.

Labels: , , ,

October 12, 1908


Peter P. Nerling Had Been at Blos-
som House Twenty-Five Years.

Peter P. Nerling, 47 years old, known as "Peter" to hundreds of traveling men all over the country, died yesterday afternoon at his home, 1645 Pennsylvania avenue. He was for twenty-five years at the Blossom house, for the past six years as steward, and before that as clerk.

Mr. Nerling was born at Schenectady, N. Y., and at the age of 13 years ran away from home and came to Kansas. After knocking about for some time he joined the regular army and was stationed at a frontier post. Twenty-five years ago he came to this city and entered the employ of the Blossom house as clerk, and remained with the hotel until he became ll three months ago.

A wife and son, Albert C. Nerling, a traveling man, survive. His parents, two brothers and seven sisters live in New York state. Mr. Nerling was a member of the Hotel Men's Association. The funeral will be held at the Cathedral, Eleventh and Walnut streets, tomorrow at 9 o'clock. Father Leo McCormick will officiate. Burial will be in Mount St. Mary's cemetery.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

July 24, 1907


Diagnosis of Stranger Who Thought
He Owned a Hotel.

It was learned yesterday that the name of the man who came h ere to "take full charge" of the Blossom house, believing that Fred S. Doggett had willed him everything, was Dr. Albert B. Clanton. He is 79 years old and his home is in Hattiesburg, Miss. He was removed from the police matron's room to the general hospital yesterday. His trouble is diagnosed as delusional mania.

Dr. Clanton said yesterday that the message had come to him in a very mysterious way, not through spirits, that Doggett had made him his sole beneficiary. The old man had been seen around the Union depot for the last ten days, the police said, and Monday Patrolman Ferrell took him in charge. The police will try and locate relatives and inform them of the old man's condition.

Labels: , , , , ,

July 23, 1907


Stranger Said Doggett had Willed
Him Blossom House.

Patrolman Jack Farrell was called upon yesterday to take Albert B. Clanton, an aged man, from the Blossom house on Union avenue. The old man said where he had seen in the papers where Fred S. Doggett, proprietor of the hotel, had made a will making him sole beneficiary. He had come to "take charge and run the place," he said. Clanton also said that he was the owner of land at Hattiesburg, Miss.

When placed in charge of the Humane agent at the city hall, Clanton said he had a sister, Mrs. Bessie Bethea, 1759 Preston place, St. Louis, Mo. He will be held awaiting word from relatives.

Labels: , , , ,

July 19, 1907


His Three Months Seemed Like a
Year to Him.

William January, alias Charles W. Anderson, will be discharged from the United States penitentiary at Leavenworth in time this morning for him to catch the Missouri Pacific train leaving for Kansas City at 6:18 a. m. None of his friends will be there to go with him, Warden McClaughry having advised Anderson to go out early to avoid attention there and have his friends meet him at the depot in Kansas City. At the depot they will have a new suit ready for Anderson and he will go over to the Blossom house and change his attire. Dressed in the latest style he will make the trip uptown.

Anderson said last evening that he expected to open a pool hall in Kansas City, but added that he would not start in business for some time. He will visit his mother in Chillicothe, Mo., first. He will also be met at the depot by his wife and daughter.

Anderson says his three months in prison have seemed like a year to him, but he admits that he was treated very kindly during his confinement.

Labels: , , , , , ,

June 30, 1907



"Something Has Burst," Exclaimed
Young Man as He Fell to Plat-
form -- Sister Feared to Be
Left Alone at the

Roy McClintock, 22 years old, residing at Mt. Carmel, Ill., died in the Union depot last night. He had just been found by his family after an absence of several years. He was a railroad machinist.

Seven months ago McClintock was admitted to St. Margaret's hospital in Kansas City, Kas. He was suffering from pneumonia fever and for weeks lay at the point of death. A week ago he had sufficiently recovered to write to his sister, Mrs. W. E. Craver, 5250 Delaware boulevard, St. Louis.

Mrs. Craver hastened to Kansas City as soon as she heard from her brother and remained with him until he was able to travel. Last night they started to her home in St. Louis. They expected to leave on the Rock Island train at 10:15 o'clock and after purchasing tickets, strolled about the platform.

A few minutes before time for the train to leave Mrs. Craver and her brother started down the platform with their baggage. Before reaching the car young McClintock suddenly turned to his sister with the exclamation:

"Something has burst."

A passerby helped the young man to a baggage truck and a train porter went for the depot master. A wheel chair was sent out from the depot, but the young man was bleeding profusely at the mouth before the porter reached him with the chair. He was taken inside the depot and placed on a cot in the women's waiting room. He died five minutes later.

The coroner was notified and ordered the body taken to Eylars undertaking rooms, where an autopsy will be held today. Mrs. Craver was taken to the Blossom House by the depot master. She fainted and stated that she is a sufferer from heart trouble. She asked that some one stay near her as she feared to go to a room alone. A bell boy was stationed at her door for the night.

Mrs. Craver's husband, W. R. Craver, of St. Louis, is employed at the Rock Island shops in St. Louis.

Labels: , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory