Find Rare Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas - A Celebration of Kansas City Past!


Old News from Kansas City - Vintage New Items
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

November 26, 1909



Defeat Jayhawkers In a
Great Battle 12 to 6.
Missouri Tigers Wallop the Kansas Jayhawks.

Bitterly, even heroically, contesting every inch of the Tigers' invasion the Kansas Jayhawkers went down to defeat before Missouri, by a score of 12 to 6. The biggest crowd that ever witnessed a football game in Kansas City passed through the gates yesterday at Association park. Long before the park opened at 12:30, large lines of rooters were headed for the different entrances and by 1 o'clock the 200 ushers were more than busy. Many persons who were unable to get seats took advantage of the buildings in the vicinity and trees, roofs and telegraph poles were crowded. The yelling was probably the best that was ever given by the rival universities.

Even when the Jayhawkers realized that they were beaten, their spirit was not broken. With the cheer leaders who were placed in the center of the field, 2,000 students echoed their famous war cry when they knew it was of no avail.


By 2 o'clock, a half hour before the game started, the seats were all taken .. It was one mass of color. On the south side the crimson and blue of Kansas flaunted saucily in the light breeze, while the somber yellow and black of Missouri floated in the north bleachers. Across the high board fence in the rear of the Missouri section, the Tiger enthusiasts had stretched a long canvas on which was painted "Missouri Tigers." It was unnecessary work, for any stranger in the city could have told from the yelling that the Missouri rooters were seated in that particular section.

The K. U. contingent was the first to open hostilities in the matter of yelling. The band, twenty-four in number, gayly dressed in crimson and blue suits, marched out on the field, and commenced to play the "Boola, Boola," which brought the Kansas rooters to their feet. For fully five minutes the Kansans had their inning. The cheer leaders with frantic gestures signalled for the famous "Rock Chalk," which echoed across the field for five more minutes.


The Tigers a few minutes later had their chance. Out on the Belt Line tracks on the north side of the park a snorting engine pushed a Pullman and from the entrance twenty-two men in football uniform emerged and stealthily crept toward the park. The springy step told that ten weeks' training had not been for nothing. Before the roots were hardly aware of their presence they had filed into the park through the north entrance. A cheer that could have been heard for a mile greeted the Missouri players. The military band commenced on "Dixie" and for a moment the air was one mass of yellow and black. The cheering only stopped when the team lined up for a signal practice.

The Kansas team arrived on the field at 1:45. They came through the southwest entrance and their red blankets were more than conspicuous as they raced across the gridiron. A cheer that rivaled the Tigers' greeting arose from thousands of Kansas admirers, and lasted fully as long as that given their rivals. Until the game started, promptly at 2:30 o 'clock, the two sections vied with each other in giving the yells of their respective schools. The Missouri band, to demonstrate its ability to play, marched in front of the Kansan stands and played a funeral dirge.

With this great victory goes the championship of the Missouri valley conference for 1909 and the honor of having an undefeated team for the season, the first Missouri ever had. Not only this, but it shows how superior Roper is as a coach over Kennedy, winning with an eleven lighter, no faster, but so thoroughly trained in football that it outclassed the Kansas team, especially in kicking.

This is the first battle the Missouri Tigers have won from Kansas since 1901. It is the first time Missouri has crossed the red and blue goal line since 1902. This is the fourth win for Missouri in the past nineteen years and so great was this victory that all Missouri is celebrating.

On straight football Kansas made 298 yards during the game while Missouri made but 190. On punting Missouri was the victor, making 780 yards in 21 attempts, for an average of over 37 yards to the punt, while Kansas made 465 yards in twelve attempts for an average of over 38 yards to the punt. Punting really won the game for Missouri.


Chancellor Strong's visit to President Hill of Missouri in a neighboring box was watched with interest.

"It's too bad; you will lose," the tall Kansas chief executive greeted President Hill. Both smiled and shook hands.

"Just watch," was President Hill's rejoiner.

Mayor Crittenden occupied a box in the center of the field in front of the Missouri section. When the first score was made a few minutes after the game started the mayor threw his had in the air and yelled like a collegian. Frank Howe, who sat in the same box, was equally as demonstrative.

When the second band of rooters arrived in the city yesterday morning they maintained the same confidence that existed until the kickoff. At Thirteenth and Central streets the Missouri band started a procession which was several blocks long. Up the principal streets of the city the crowd wended its way, giving the Tiger yell. In front of the Coates, the headquarters of the Jayhawkers, the long line stopped and gave a serenade. Even the "Rock Chalk" yell wasn't able to drown out the "Tiger, Tiger, M. S. U."


Though the Tigers were confident that they would win, the demanded odds and were generally successful in getting 2 to 1 money. It is thought that the boarding houses in Lawrence will have to wait for board for many weeks, for most of the K. U. students considered the proposition a joke that Missouri would win.

"Just putting your money out at good interest," was the way one K. U. man characterized it.

The crowd was especially well handled at the game. The twelve entrances provided enough room to admit ticket holders as fast as they applied for admission. After conclusion of the game there were jams at the gates, but no one was injured.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

September 16, 1909


Western Sash and Door Company
Sells Grand Avenue Site and
Buildings for $125,000.

As forcasted in The Journal a week ago, $125,000 was paid yesterday by the Grand Avenue Building Company to William Huttig, president of the Western Sash and Door Company, for the property and building of the company at Twenty-third and Grand avenue.

There are 45,000 square feet in the tract, wh ich faces 168 feet on Grand avenue and runs through to Walnut street. About 5,500 square feet will be taken by the Kansas City Terminal Railway Company in the building of the Union passenger station, and it is understood that eventually a hotel will be built on the remaining part of the property.

The offices of the sash and door company will be occupied and used at once by the engineering forces of the terminal company, and the balance of the building will be used by the Huttig company for one year.

"A year from today the Western Sash and Door Company will have a big new plant built somewhere along the line of the Belt railway," said Mr. Huttig yesterday. "We have three different sites under construction."

Labels: , , , ,

September 10, 1909



Kansas City declared in favor of progress at the special election yesterday to decide whether or not the voters favored a new $30,000,000 Union station near Twenty-third street and the Belt Line, and freight and passenger terminals which form a part of the plan.

The vote in favor of progress was almost unanimous. The total vote in the fourteen wards of the city and in the newly added precincts caused by the recent extension of the city limits shows in a general way a uniform expression of opinion by the voters.

The main proposition voted upon was that granting the Kansas City Terminal Company, which is to build the new Union station and terminals, a franchise for 200 years. It was necessary to put this before the voters owing to the state constitution limiting franchises to thirty years. The vote on this was 25,668 in favor of the proposition and 700 against it.

Two other propositions were offered the voters. The most important of these to the people of the entire city was that amending the charter so that the park board would be empowered to sell to the Terminal company certain lands needed for the widening and improvements on the present tracks on the Belt Line. The vote on this proposition was 24,644 for and 639 against.

The third proposition concerned the proposed change of grand of three streets crossing the present Belt line. It will be necessary, in building the passenger and freight tracks of the terminal company, to depress the grades of three crossings, so as to allow vehicle and foot traffic under the railroad tracks. As property owners concerned presented a majority remonstrance, the new city charter provided that the voters should pass upon the proposed plan.

Labels: , , , ,

June 27, 1909


Boy Run Down While Chasing Foul
at Stevens's Park.

While chasing a foul ball across the Belt Line track during a baseball game at Twenty-fourth street and the Southwest boulevard at 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon, Claude Davidson, 12 years old, was run over by a switch engine and mangled by the wheels. He was taken to the general hospital where his right leg and arm were amputated by Dr. J. Park Neal. It was thought at the hospital last night that the boy would recover.

Two boy teams were playing at the Stephens ball park at the time of the accident. Claude Davidson was what is known among school boys as "pig-tailer" and his business was to recover lost balls and catch fouls landing far behind the batter. One of the latter crossed the low fence behind the field and it was in pursuit of it that the boy was hit by the switch engine. His father, William C. Davidson, lives at 1660 Jefferson street.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

April 21, 1909


Switch Engine Derailed by Clothing
of Night Watchman Killed
on Belt Line Track.

L. Hougardy, night watchman for the Cypress Incubator Company, was decapitated and his body mangled by switch engine No. 2118 about 100 feet east of Penn street on the Belt Line tracks at 9:45 o'clock last night. Money in the man's pockets, together with his clothing which wadded up in front of the wheels, derailed the engine.

Engineer William White and Fireman Stoiver, by their combined efforts, could not dislodge the body, so No. 3 police station and the coroner were notified.

"I was keeping a sharp lookout on all sides because of the rain," said Engineer White. "I did not see the man, and can not yet understand how he came in front of the engine unnoticed, unless he had been murdered and laid across the rails or had been hit by another engine. The first notice I had of the accident was the jolt of the front wheels leaving the rails."

Engineer White has the reputation of being a careful engine driver of many years' experience. He lives at 2107 Belleview. Fireman Stoiver lives at 2719 Holly street.

Hougardy's identity was learned through his failure to pull the Western Union hourly call box. He lived near Broadway and Southwest boulevard.

An autopsy will be held today.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

July 12, 1908


Undertakers Puzzled by
Unidentified Man.

The body of an unidentified man was picked up on the tracks of the Belt Line near Wyoming street, Friday night. Thinking that the body was that of a negro the railroad employes sent the body to Countee Bros., negro undertakers, who embalmed it. Dr. O. H. Parker was called to view the body and pronounced it that of a Mexican. He therefore ordered it removed to the undertaking rooms of Eylar Bros., at Fourteenth and Main streets. It is now thought that the body is that of an Indian. It is large limbed and possesses all of the charactaristics of that race.

Labels: , , , , ,

June 16, 1908





His Efforts Rendered Futile by the
Struggles of His Companion.
They Go Down to Death
Miss Nita Ewin and Mr. Albert Buchanan, Drowning Victims.

While boating on the Blue river in Sheffield yesterday afternoon, Alfred G. Buchanan and Miss Nita Ewin were drowned. The canoe in which they were rowing caught on a hidden snag and turned turtle. Both Mr. Buchanan and Miss Ewin lived in Independence. Each was about 20 years of age. Miss Ewin was the daughter of Mrs. Bertie Ewin, a widow, of 412 North Liberty street, while young Buchanan was the son of J. F. Buchanan, an abstracter and loan agent in Independence.

The young couple secured a canoe at the Blue River shortly after noon yesterday, saying that they would return in a short time. They immediately paddled off toward the mouth of the Blue. The accident occurred just above the Belt line bridge.

Witnesses say the boat struck a hidden snag or the limbs of a big tree that overhung the river. Both the occupants of the boat were thrown out by the shock and the boat itself capsized. The two young people struggled in the water for a short time and then went down. Mr. Buchanan was an expert swimmer but, according to those who witnessed the accident from a distance, he was hindered in his efforts to save himself and the young woman by the struggles of the latter.

Two Missouri Pacific firemen stationed with their engines near the scene of the accident saw the young people drown. They left their engines and immediately began to dive or the bodies. Their efforts were fruitless.

The police department was then notified and Lieutenant M. J. Kennedy of the Sheffield station led a rescue party consisting of Marion Bollinger, owner of the boat, and a fisherman. Both bodies were drawn from the water by hooks nearly an hour and a half later.

Mr. Bollinger found the body of the young man first and the fisherman found the body of the young woman. Lieutenant Kennedy had telephoned the father of the young man and he was present when the bodies were removed. Dr. A. C. Mulvaney and Dr. Connelly Anderson, who had been called by Lieutenant Kennedy, tried to resuscitate the two but failed. It was 6 o'clock before the bodies were sent to Independence in an ambulance.

Miss Ewin was the only daughter of Mrs. Bertie Ewin. Seven members of the family have died in the last five years. Alfred is the second son of J. F. Buchanan.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

May 7, 1908


Eugene Lane, 7 Years Old, Killed by
Santa Fe Train on Belt
Line Trestle.

While returning to his home at 3810 East Fifteenth street yesterday evening about 6 o'clock, Eugene Lane, age 7 years, was caught on the long trestle of the Belt line railroad near Thirteenth street and Jackson avenue and killed. The boy was struck by an eastbound Santa Fe passenger train while midway on the trestle and the impact of the engine threw him against one of the iron uprights, crushing his skull.

Eugene Lane was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Lane, who live at 3810 East Fifteenth street, and had ben sent to a neighbor's house on an errand for his mother. The boy had been in the habit of using the trestle in making journeys to and form the neighborhood to which he was sent, but had forgotten that a train was due when he attempted to cross the trestle yesterday afternoon.

Edward Lane, the father of the boy, has a blacksmith shop at 3406 East Fifteenth street. The boy was an only son.

Labels: , , , , , ,

April 6, 1908





Peculiar Actions of Late Made Neigh-
bors Believe Her Demented.
Left Home Wednesday,
Killed Thursday.

With the reason for her tragic death still shrouded in mystery, the body of the young woman who was crushed under the wheels of a Belt line engine Thursday afternoon was yesterday afternoon positively identified as that of Miss Wealthy Cook, aged 21 years, daughter of A., Cook, a painter who lives at 2136 North Benton street, Springfield, Mo.

The identification was made at Newcomer's morgue yesterday by Mrs. Tom Davis, 6028 East Eleventh street, and further substantiated by Mrs. Edith Green, 6003 East Tenth street. It is believed by all that the young woman came to her death through an accident, as she had no cause for suicide so far as is known here.

Miss Cook had lived in this city about three months, coming here from her home in Springfield to nurse her aunt, Mrs. J. J. Ritchie, Tenth and Belmont streets, with whom she made her home. She was last seen Wednesday morning by Mrs. Green, who lives next door to Mrs. Ritchie, and just where she was between then and the hour she met her death is a mystery. Miss Cook is believed to have wandered around through all of Wednesday, Wednesday night and Thursday, and was probably going back to her home when killed.

Of late, so the neighbors say, she had acted strangely on more than one occasion and it is believed by them that her mind was imbalanced. Certainly, some of her actions would lead to this belief, and it is the generally accepted theory that in a fit of temporary insanity she left her home and simply wandered around until she met her tragic fate.


It is stated that Miss Cook frequently took long walks and would be gone from the house for hours, never telling a soul where she was going. On one occasion she left home before dawn and walked to the city. She returned about 11 o'clock in the morning and stated that she had walked to and from the city and was not a bit tired. The distance from her home to the business portion is no less than sixty blocks, and to accomplish this feat would make even a strong man think twice.

Last Wednesday morning Miss Cook stood on a street corner near her home for over two hours. She never moved from her position during the entire time and when spoken to by one of the neighbors became angry. She was asked why she stood there during all that time, and if she was in trouble.


"You are attracting attention by your strange conduct," she was told.

"Well, if that is so, I will move on, but don't you ever speak to me again," was her reply, and with that she started off down the street.

A very unusual feature of the case, and the reason that the body was not identified earlier, is that Mrs. Ritchie told no one that the girl had gone away until late Saturday night. Mrs. Ritchie has been in failing health for some months, and sufferers from heart trouble. Saturday night she suffered a severe attack, and her mother, Mrs. Hannah Westmon, aged 87, who lives with her, sent for Mrs. Davis and Mrs. Green. These women asked about the girl, and were surprised to learn that Mrs. Ritchie did not know where she was.

"We had been reading in The Journal about the strange young woman who was found dead," said Mrs. Green, "and we at once came to the conclusion from the description given that this was Wealthy. Mrs. Davis went to the undertakers' this afternoon, and sure enough, it was she. Had we been told earlier, we could have identified the body at once."

Mrs. Ritchie's condition is critical, and she has not been told that the body of the young woman is that of her niece, for fear the shock would end her life.


Those who know the girl are at loss to explain why and how Miss Cook got the Sunday school leaflet which bore the name of Loretta Kurster. So far as is known she never attended the Forest Avenue Methodist church, where the leaflets were distributed.

It is thought by some that perhaps she quarreled with her aunt and started to go back to her home at Springfield. She carried all her money with her and as the body was warmly dressed, three skirts and other extra clothing being worn, it is not unlikely that she meant to go to her home and took this method of carrying her extra clothing rather than excite suspicion by packing it in her suit case.

A. Cook, the father of the girl, has been notified by Mr. Newcomer and has advised the undertaker that he and the girl's mother will arrive here today.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

April 3, 1908





Carried Sunday School Tract With
Little Girl's Name on It, but
the Owner Does Not
Know Her.

A young woman who was crushed by the wheels of a Belt Line engine last night at 7:30 o'clock, died tow and a half hours later at the city hospital, without being identified. The scene of the accident was where the Belt tracks are fifteen feet below street level, half way between Brooklyn and Park avenues. It is near Nineteenth street.

The woman was walking eastward and must have entered the cut three blocks west, at the street level.

To avoid the Santa Fe local No. 59, westbound, she stepped upon the other main track, and a Milwaukee engine, eastbound, struck her. Pilot Al Williams was riding to work on the engine but neither he nor the engineer, James Spencer, saw her, nor did the fireman But the flagman on the freight train did.

She lay by the track, her left arm almost severed at the shoulder, and with a contusion, possibly a fracture, on each side of her head. A broad leather cushion from the car was brought and she was carried to Eighteenth street and Brooklyn avenue to the office of Dr. I. E. Ruhl, who saw that she was dying. The police ambulance from No. 4 police station, in charge of Patrolman Smith Cook and Dr. C. V. Bates, arrived and she was taken to the general hospital.

She seemed conscious, but could not be induced to talk. The only article she carried was a Sunday school quarterly bearing the name of Loretta Kurster, 1509 East Eighteenth street.

Drs. R. C. Henderson and T. B. Clayton, who operated on the woman at the hospital. said she seemed bright and could use her vocal organs, but evidently was suffering from a skull fracture so such an extent that she did not really understand what was said to her.

Asked if she knew how she had been hurt, she replied, wonderingly, "Hurt? Why, I didn't know anything was the matter." But questions as to her identity she did not attempt to answer, and there was nothing about her person to disclose this, besides the booklet.

In the meantime it had been discovered that Loretta Kursler is a 12-year-old girl who was uninjured and busy in her mother's bakery at the address given in the book. She thought it might be a Sunday school teacher she had met at Central Baptist church, Miss Blanche Wade, but Miss Wade was found safe at her home. She at once, however, went to the hospital to see if she could identify the woman. The quarterly was found to be one pushed by the Christian denomination.

The Kursler child having recently become a pupil at the Forest Avenue Christian church, Miss Wade called Rev. J. L. Thompson of the Forest Avenue church for aid in identifying the woman. Loretta Kursler said her Christian Sunday school teacher was called Grace, but she did not know her last name. The minister accounted for every Sunday school worker by the name of Grace and everyone who teaches girls of that size. Then the chance of discovering before morning who the woman was seemed very slight.

Apparently the woman was 32 to 35 years of age. She was slightly above medium height, was fairly well fleshed, was brunette with abundance of dark hair, had delicate hands, blue-set earrings worn tight to the ear, and wore a tan jacket and a fur neck piece. No hat was taken with her to the hospital. Around her waist was fastened a package containing $8.70.

Dr. Ruhl, who first saw her, thinks it possible that the woman may have been demented, or if an employed woman may have been making a short cut home from work. In the latter case he would believe her hearing defective.

The Kursler family is at a loss to know how a Sunday school book bearing the little girl's name would come to be found in the possession of anyone not her teacher.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

May 14, 1907


In the Juvenile Court Yesterday
Judge McCune Lectured the
Father When He Objected
to the Decision.

Seven little boys, from 9 to 12 years of age, charged with being the "Sixteenth Street Gang," train hoppers and coal thieves, were before Judge McCune, of the juvenile court, yesterday afternoon.

"The boys sit on the rails of the Belt line tracks," said James H. Knapp, of the Knapp & Coumbe Construction Company, a witness, "and try to scare the engineer of the approaching trains. When the engine is within a few feet of them, they jump up like frogs and get off the track. If the engineer sticks his head out of the cab to talk to them, they make finger signs at him."

There were other witnesses against the boys -- three truancy officers and W. K. Miller, flagman for the Belt line at Sixteenth street. They said that the boys made a practice of stealing coal and hopping on trains.

"I pointed out to the boys," Miller told the court, "the place where a boy was killed last year jumping on a train. It wasn't ten feet from where these boys repeat the practice. But they only laughed at me.

"They sit up on the cars and kick the coal off. Then they get down, pick it up, and haul it away in little wagons. The gang has two wagons."

The seven boys before the court were; Willie Eft, 10 years old; Martin Eft, 9 years old, both of 1511 College avenue; Henning Broman, 12 years old, of 3113 East Sixteenth street; Harry Wright, 11 years old, of 3208 East Sixteenth street, Edward Blickhan, 11 years old, and Harris Blickhan, 10 years old, both of 1612 College avenue; Earl Frizzell, 12 years old, of 3208 East Sixteenth street.

All of the boys, with the exception of Earl Frizzell, admitted that they hopped on trains and stole coal. The Blickhan boys took the coal home and the other s sold it for 15 cents a wagon load, they said. Willie Eft and Henning Broman owned the two wagons.

Edward J. Blickhan, father of the Blickhan boys, appeared to defend his offspring, but he did more harm than good. He told the court that they had been sick with tonsillitis for two weeks and could not go to school. He denied all knowledge of their bringing coal home, but the court stated that he preferred to believe the boys' own statement that they had brought coal home and put it in the box by the kitchen stove. When the Blickhan boys were rounded up by the truancy officers last Thursday their hair hung over their shoulders and they were so ragged that Miller told the officers that he thought they were orphans. Yesterday afternoon they wore new suits and had their hair clipped short.

Judge McCune turned Earl Frizzell loose, as he had been with the "gang" only one day, ordered a home in the country found for Willie Eft and released the other boys with the understanding that they attend school and quit playing among the railway yards.

When Blickhan protested against the court holding his boys, Judge McCune said:

"You don't care if your boys get killed playing in the yards, so long as they fill your coal box. I don't want to hear another word from you. You have violated the law yourself."

Henry Eft, 13 years old, a brother of Willie and Martin, now has a reform school sentence hanging over him and is at work.

Labels: , , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory