Jean Robert Moechel was born in Dresden, Germany,
March 2, 1856. He secured his education in the local gymnasiums
through private tutoring and later by a course in the Dresden
Polytechnic School in natural sciences, graduating in 1872.
was then apprenticed, being a German custom, for two years in a
laboratory, after which he was for a half year each in the
establishments of Weppen and Leuders, manufacturing chemists, of
Dresden. He then went to Berlin, and worked at the chemical
manufacturing plant of Schering. In 1875 he entered the
University of Leipsig, taking the courses of chemistry and natural
sciences, and graduating in 1878.
After his graduation he worked
in various towns in Switzerland, and in Paris, and in London at his
profession for five years, coming to America in 1883. He located
in New York City, where he remained for seven months, and then went to
Philadelphia, opening in that city in a commercial laboratory.
In 1881 he entered another commercial laboratory in New York city,
which he operated in conjunction with the one in Philadelphia.
In 1894 he assumed charge of the chemical laboratory of the New York
Post-Graduate College, Medical School and hospital, where he remained
He came to this city in 1896, and has been
here since, conducting the Kansas City Chemic-Technic laboratories.
He is a member of the German Chemical
Society, of Berlin, the American Chemical Society, and other bodies
devoted to natural sciences.