Carl Hoffman was born at Brensbach, Hesse Darmstad,
December 24, 1847. He acquired the rudiments of an education at
the gymnasium of his birthplace, and finished later with a course at
the University of Giessen. He had an inherent taste for music,
and took organ, piano, and harmony under Mangold and Niederhoff.
He came to this country in 1867 and located at Pittsburgh, Pa., where
he devoted his energy and ability to musical instruction. He was
successful, and was offered and accepted the chair of music in Beaver
Seminary, near Pittsburgh, then the largest educational place for
women in America.
Tiring of this, he came further West, and in
Leavenworth, Kas., started into the business of selling musical
instruments, gradually developing the business into a retail store for
sheet music and musical sundries. He left Leavenworth in 1894,
moving his stock and business offices. While in Leavenworth Mr.
Hoffman made much progress in perfecting the musical taste of the
town, his position as organist of the Catholic Cathedral for ten years
giving him the opportunity his tastes inclined to. A year ago
his business was incorporated under the firm name of the Carl Hoffman
Musical Company, with his two sons as partial stockholders.
Mr. Hoffman was married while living in
Leavenworth, his wife being Miss Ida Schmelzer. They have four
children, John, Ernest, Josephine, and Margaret.