William P. Hayde was born in Keokuk, Iowa, November 6,
1863, but his father, a civil engineer and contractor, removed to
Missouri when the subject of this sketch was only a year old.
His early boyhood was spent in the towns of Edina and Kirksville,
where his father built the State Normal School, and in 1879 the family
came to Kansas City.
Mr. Hayde took a course in the local commercial college, and then
learned the trade of brick-laying. Of a nomadic temperament, he
worked all over the country - Washington, Chicago, New York, Ogden,
Salt Lake City, etc. -sometimes working at his trade, but more often
superintending jobs. In 1891 he was sent to Toronto, Canada, as
a delegate to the bricklayers' National Convention from Utah.
Returning to Kansas City in the early '90s,
Mr. Hayde went into the office of Inspector of Buildings during Mayor
Cowherd's first administration, and from there went over to the office
of the Circuit Clerk to serve as deputy. He worked there for
three years, making a record for efficiency, and in 1898 was appointed
County License Inspector.
Always a Democrat, Mr. Hayde has served as a
member of the City Committee from the Eighth Ward for eight
years. He is a life member of the Elks, a Knight of Columbus,
and a Woodman.
He married Miss Ida Welch in 1893, and they
have three children, one girl and two boys.