Vintage Kansas City .com
 

Get the Book:
Hometown Beer - A History of Kansas City's Breweries
Hometown Beer - A History of Kansas City's Breweries

(with 585 photographs and illustrations!)

Also see:
News of 1870

News of 1864

 

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

 

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

 

Men Who Made Kansas City ~ Biograhpies and Pictures of Turn of the Century Kansas Citians
MEN WHO
MADE KC

 

Find Kansas City Antiques up for auction and purchase right now
Relics from Old KC

 

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

 

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

 

BREWING AND DISTILLING.

STATISTICS OF THE BUSINESS IN THIS CITY.

Published in the Kansas City Journal of Commerce
February 26, 1870

     The branch of manufacturing to which this article is devoted, supplies what might almost be said to be a necessity of mankind.  As far back as history speaks of, mankind has always indulged in stimulants.  True, there have been as varied as were the races who used and abused them.  But there has been none, with the exception, perhaps, of tobacco, which has come into such general use, as have the various forms of malt liquors.

     Beer has passed into literature.  The German would be disconsolate if deprived of his lager.  And an English poet says:

     "John Ball would loose his eminence,
     Or else feel very queer,
     If Alsopp, Bass & Co. should cease
     To brew their bitter beer."

     The John Balls who reside in Kansas City need have no fear of any such catastrophe.  For not only do we brew beer enough for our own population, but we also export quantities, even sending it as far west as the Rocky Mountains.

     The first brewery established in this city, was that of

PETER SCHWITZGEBEL,

which still stands on the corner of Oak and Third streets.  The original buildings have been added to as the business has increased, and they now cover a large space of ground, Mr. Schwitzgebel is still at the head of the business he founded.  He now employs ten men, and three wagons, and has about $50,000 invested in his business.  The brewery has a capacity of forty-five barrels per day, one third of which is consumed in this city.  The remainder being shipped to outside points.  There is, also, a malt house connected with the brewery, capable of producing about one hundred bushels of malt per day.

     The next establishment visited was that of

F. H. KUMP & CO.,

on the corner of Main and Fourteenth streets.  This brewery was established in 1857, but was subsequently destroyed by fire, and the present buildings are new, and of the most approved construction.  The firm consists of F. H. Kump and Byron E. Dye.  They are also engaged in the manufacture of cider seltzer and mineral waters, and bottled ales.  They employ thirteen hands, and have $40,000 invested.  They have three wagons, and are now shipping their manufactures as far west as Kit Carson.  They turn out 300 dozen of soda water, and 35 barrels of ale daily.

THE GRAND AVENUE BREWERY,

on the corner of Grand avenue and Twentieth streets, was erected in 1860 by the Muehleschuster Brothers.  It is now owned by Frederick Hey.  The capital engaged is about $20,000, and the product twenty barrels per day.  Five men and two wagons are also employed.

THE WESTERN BREWERY,

is situated on the Westport road, a short distance south of the city limits.  It was established in 1862, and is owned by Helmrich & Raber.  The capital invested is about $30,000, and six men and three wagons are employed.  The daily production is about forty barrels.

M'CREERY & NEIMEYER'S DISTILLERY.

      This establishment, which is the only one of the kind in the city, is situated upon O. K. Creek, near the southern limits of the city.  The establishment covers two acres of ground, and furnishes employment for fifteen men.  It was built by the present proprietors in July, '69, and now produces about twenty barrels of highwines daily.  the capital invested is about $50,000, and two hundred bushels of corn are used every day.  Eight hundred hogs, belonging to the proprietors, are fattened upon the waste of the distillery.  Since commencing business, less than a year ago, the firm has paid the Government alone, as taxes, nearly $100,000 -- a very good firm of tax payers.

     While upon this subject, we cannot forbear noticing the

SULLIVANT VINEGAR WORKS.

      These works are situated near the southern city limits, and are owned by the Sullivant Brothers.  they have $20,000 invested in their business, and employ three wagons and six men.  Their daily product is about twenty-seven barrels.  They have, however, enlarged their capacity, and will soon turn out thirty barrels a day.  They ship mostly Westward, but have made arrangements for competing in the St. Louis markets.  they do not turn out chemical compounds, but pure vinegar, made from cider and wine.  Their enterprise is well known, and they deserve all the success they have achieved.

More Kansas City History

Vintage Kansas City.com

Contact: timetravel at vintagekansascity dot com

Google
 
Web vintagekansascity.com
 In Association with Amazon.com

In association with
KC Web Links.com ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory