Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

January 29, 1910



Attorneys Hurriedly Called
Together on Receipt
of Telegram.

That poison in a large enough quantity to produce death has been found in the stomachs of Colonel Thomas H. Swope, Kansas City's millionaire benefactor, and Chrisman Swope, his nephew, is known almost to be a certainty. The Chicago chemists telegraphed the result of their analysis yesterday afternoon to John G. Paxton, a Swope attorney.

Mr. Paxton will leave today for Chicago. He will return immediately with the official report of the two chemists and the internal organs of the Swopes, to be sustained in evidence at the coroner's inquest early next week.

An arrest is expected to be made Friday or Saturday of next week.

Mr. Paxton received the telegram from the Chicago specialists at 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon. when in that city he arranged with Drs. W. S. Haines and Ludwig Hektoen that they should wire him the results of the post mortem examination as soon as completed. From Chicago it is learned that a message of one word was to convey the information that poison in quantities large enough to produce death had been found, and that he, Mr. Paxton, was to go to Chicago immediately.


Though the attorneys here refuse to divulge the information contained in this message, it is known that the work of the chemists has been completed, and that the men here who are pushing the prosecution are satisfied with the results. Prosecuting Attorney Virgil Conkling said last night that he expected the official report of the chemists, and all other evidence in the case, in his hands within forty-eight hours -- or Monday at the latest. The coroner's inquest will probably be held Tuesday. Two or three days after this, if the evidence is found satisfactory, warrants will be issued.

"I am satisfied with the results," said John H. Atwood, after reading the telegram.

"Ifs the examination of the stomach completed?" was asked.

"Drs. Haines and Hektoen are through with their work," was the reply.

Further than this Mr. Atwood refused to make any statement. Mr. Paxton was non-committal. He would neither affirm nor deny the report that poison had been found.

"Are you going to Chicago?" was asked him.


"I will sleep at my home in Independence tonight," was his answer.

Neither the coroner nor the prosecuting attorney has received one word from the Chicago chemists. A duplicate copy of the report is to be sent to the coroner. The prosecuting attorney was apprised of the receipt of the telegram by Mr. Paxton yesterday afternoon, but concerning the contents of the message, the prosecutor refused to say what it contained.

Labels: , , , , , ,

December 27, 1909


Relatives Wire That Her Mother Is
Dead in Wichita.

"Try and locate Mrs. Alice Conn, wife of Fred Conn. Mother is dead. EDNA K. YOUNG."

This telegram was received last evening from Wichita, Kas., by Chief of Police Frank Snow. But Mrs. Alice Conn is nowhere to be found, either in the directories of the two Kansas Citys or in Argentine. Consequently Chief Snow has asked the papers of the city to assist in the matter and help find the daughter.

If any one knows where Mrs. Alice Conn, or a Fred Conn, live they may confer a great favor on both the young woman and also on the relatives in Wichita.

Labels: , , ,

Decmeber 14, 1909


Two Boys Get Year in Jail After
Delivering Bogus Telegram.

Early yesterday morning a traveling man at the Sexton hotel was awakened by a rap at the door. Answering the summons he opened the door to have a telegram thrust in his hand by a boy in the uniform of the Postal Telegraph Company.

"Prepare for the worst," it read, "an accident has happened to your two sons. Will wire particulars later. -- Dr. Brown."

The traveling man rushed into his clothes and raced in a cab to the Postal office. There he was told that no message had been received from "Dr. Brown."

Harry Norton, 18 years of age, a messenger boy, was arrested on the charge of embezzlement. Alvin Church, the boy who is said to have delivered the telegram, but who is not an employe of the telegraph company, was taken into custody later on the charge of petty larceny.

When arraigned in the criminal court they admitted their offense, and Judge Latshaw gave each one year in jail, the maximum sentence. The boys say they have worked the fake telegram graft in three cities. Norton obtained work at the Postal in order to get telegraph blanks.

Church, they said, would visit the different hotels and take names from the registers. Fake telegrams would be prepared, usually telling that the man's wife or child was seriously ill or dead. The telegrams would be marked "collect."

Labels: , , , , ,

November 23, 1909



Drops Dead With Bullet Through
Heart -- Son Shot in Pistol Duel
With His Father's

While trying to grasp the revolver of one of two robbers who "stuck up" his saloon at the northeast corner of Twentieth street and Grand avenue at 12:45 this morning, M. A. Spangler was shot across the bar and instantly killed.

In a pistol duel with his father's murderer, Sam Spangler was shot through both arms.

He believes he shot the robber. The latter and his companion escaped.

The murder and holdup occurred in Spangler's saloon at the northeast corner of Twentieth street and Grand avenue about 12:45.

The Spanglers were getting ready to close the saloon for the night. Sam Spangler had removed the cash from the register and was reading the totals from the detail adder, while the father was writing them on a card.

There were two men in the saloon, Al Ackerman, a friend of the Spangler family, and an old man whose identity is not known. Both were seated at tables in front of the bar.


At this juncture two men, one short and heavy set and the other tall and thin, entered the saloon. They were roughly dressed, and sauntered up about the middle of the room. The tall man walked as far as the big cannon stove at the rear of the bar, but the short man walked up to a point in front of Spangler.

Whipping out a revolver, the short man flourished it and commanded Ackerman and the old man, "Hands up and line up alongside the bar every one of you."

Ackerman and the old man and young Spangler lifted their hands in a hurry to obey the order. Not so old man Spangler. He had been in the street lunch stand business for years and he was not to be bluffed by the sight of a gun.

"Throw up your hands quick," was the second command, this time directed to Mr. Spangler. The latter evidently had been gauging the distance across the bar. Instead of throwing up his hands he lunged forward, grasping for the revolver. He missed the gun and that instant the robber pulled the trigger.

"Oh!" Spangler cried, and collapsed.

Another shot was fired at him, but it missed. The first one had passed through his heart.


Sam Spangler at the first shot pulled open a drawer in the back bar and grabbed a huge navy revolver. Turning around he faced the robber, and began firing. Both emptied their revolvers, the robber retreating toward the front door as he fired his last shot. Meanwhile the tall, thin robber, who had gotten half way behind the bar, turned and fled toward the rear, when young Spangler started shooting. He escaped through a rear door.

Ackerman, who had been standing near the front of the saloon, ran out of the door at the first shot. When the shooting inside ceased he started back but was met by the robber with the revolver who pressed it against his abdomen.

"Get out of my way before I kill you," cried the robber.

Ackerman got out of the way, and returning to the saloon asked for the big revolver.

Young Spangler put a shell in it by this time and Ackerman started after the robber. He chased him to McGee street and half way down to Twenty-first street pulling the trigger several times on the shell, which proved defective and failed to explode.

When he returned to the saloon, he found Sam Spangler bending over the body of his father. He had been shot in both arms and his blood was mingling with that of his father's.


It could not be positively ascertained this morning whether the robber got the money which Spangler had taken from the cash register and placed in a glass. During the excitement it is believed that the money was replaced in the register. This was locked and the keys were taken in charge by the police. The sum is said to have been in the neighborhood of $50.

A riot call was sent to No. 4 police station and a squad of police under Sergeant H. L. Goode drove to the saloon. Young Spangler was taken to the general hospital, where his injuries were dressed.

The body of Mr. Spangler was taken to the Stewart undertaking establishment.

M. A. Spangler was about 50 years old. He lived with his family at No. 1322 1/2 Wyandotte street. He leaves a widow and two sons, Sam and William, both grown. The widow and some relatives are in Glasgow, Mo. A telegram was sent to them immediately after the shooting.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

October 17, 1909


Boy of 8 From Ohio Now in Charge
of Police Matron.

Charles Francis, 8 years old, arrived at the Union depot yesterday from Toledo, O., expecting to meet his mother, Mrs. Eva M. Francis of Kansas City, who sent for him. Mrs. Francis was not at the station and Matron Ollie Everingham sent the little fellow to the police matron, until Mrs. Francis could be found. A telegram addressed to Mrs. Frances from Toledo awaits her at the Union depot.

Labels: , , , , ,

August 1, 1909


Eloped to St. Joseph With Edmond
Kuenster Last Monday.

Last Monday morning Miss Henrietta Till, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas A. Till, 4404 Campbell street, started for Lake Crystal, Minn., to spend the remainder of the summer. She was expected to arrive there Tuesday morning, and in due time there arrived in Kansas City the expected telegram from Lake Crystal:

"Arrived safely. -- Henrietta."

Yesterday afternoon there came a second telegram, this one to The Journal, dated St. Joseph, saying that Miss Till had been married by Father O'Donnell of the Holy Rosary church in St. Joseph Monday to Edmond Kuenster, a clerk in the Kansas City Bell telephone office. Kuenster had been paying attentions to Miss Till for a year, and it was understood there would be a wedding in the fall.

Asked if there had been opposition to his daughter marrying Kuenster, Mr. Till said there had been on his part, which probably accounted for the elopement.

The first the Till family knew of the marriage was Thursday afternoon when Kuenster called up the Till residence and said he was talking from St. Joseph, where relatives of his mother live. The new Mrs. Kuenster confirmed the report.

After that came news from another source that on Monday afternoon Kuenster and Miss Till, accompanied by a member of one of the Tootle firms in St. Joseph, went to the acting bishop of St. Joseph for a dispensation to allow the runaways to be married there. This was granted and the pastor of the Holy Rosary church performed the ceremony.

Labels: , , , , ,

July 12, 1909


Otherwise, Police Are Told to Arrest
Atchison Boy and Girl.

Somewhere in Kansas City yesterday, Nettie Scott, 17 years old, whose home is in Atchison, Kas., was eluding possible detection and assisted in her aim by one believed to be Will Schaffer of the same Kansas town. The chief of police of Atchison wired the Kansas City police to find them if possible.

The telegram requested the police to arrest and hold the two unless they have been married. It is believed the pair ran off to get married but as yesterday was Sunday it is probable that they waited until today before attempting to secure a marriage license.

Labels: , ,

July 2, 1909


Mayor of Larned, Kas., Sends Out
An Urgent Call.

Farmhands are so scarce around Larned, Kas., that Mayor E. E. Frizell has mailed out postal cards to Eastern cities advertising for 2,000 harvest hands. One thousand men reported by June 28, but the farmers are still in need of capable help in the harvest fields and the mayor yesterday appealed to The Journal for assistance. A telegram to The Journal said:

Wanted -- 1,000 harvest hands; wages $2.50 to $3 per day; harvest commences July 3.

Following the telegram a letter was received from the mayor, in which he said that it had been reported that Larned was overcrowded with unemployed men. Such a report, the mayor stated, was an injustice to Larned and the surrounding country, as there has not been a time within the last fifteen years when men were needed so badly.

Labels: , , , ,

July 1, 1909


Governor Hadley at Last Hour Sends
Thirty-Day Stay of Execution
for Claud Brooks.

Less than twenty-five minutes before the time set for the execution of Claude Brooks, the negro murderer, Marshal Joel Mayes received a telegram from Governor Hadley postponing the hanging until July 10. Mr. Mayes had a telephone conversation with the governor, but insisted on a telegram. The governor said the papers in the case would be sent to Kansas City at once.

Brooks, who was ready for his trip to the scaffold, showed no signs of emotion when told the news. He was taken from the death cell and placed in another part of the jail. The other prisoners, hearing the news, cheered.

The decision of the governor, it is said, was based upon the advice of a relative to whom the governor looks for recommendations in Kansas City criminal cases. This relative advised an inquiry into the sanity of Brooks. The governor sent the reprieve while this relative was at the county jail.

The time set for the hanging of Brooks was 9 o'clock yesterday morning. Brooks murdered Sidney Herndon, burned part of the evidence and made his escape. Now doctors say he is of a "low type of mentality."

Labels: , , , ,

June 5, 1909


Featherweights May Go Ten Rounds
Before the Empire Athletic Club.

Ad Wolgast, the Milwaukee featherweight, and Teddy Peppers of Kansas City will probably fight ten rounds before the Empire Athletic Club here June 11 instead of Phil Knight and Packy McFarland. When Knight injured his hand he was unable to keep his part of the agreement for the bout with McFarland and it was called off.

Yesterday the Empire club received a telegram from Wolgast's manager asking the club to stage Wolgast and Peppers this month. The club wired back immediately that it would give Wolgast the fight with Peppers on June 11 if it was possible for Wolgast to come at that time. Up to a late hour last night the club had received no word from Wolgast, but it is believed that he will accept today. If he does fans of this city will see just as good about as McFarland and Knight could put up, and one that is considered just as high class. Pepper has been after Wolgast for a long time and expects to cop the bacon.

The weight for the match will be at 125 pounds at 3 o'clock, and there will be a good side bet wagered on the result.

Labels: ,

May 30, 1909


Gov. Crittenden's Family Receives
Telegrams from Prominent Men.

From all parts of the United States telegrams expressing condolence and sympathy have been received by the family of Governor Crittenden. Many are from men prominent in public life. The following message addressed to H. H. Crittenden was received from Colonel Henry Watterson of Louisville, Ky.:

"My profound and heartfelt sympathies to your dear mother and all you children. None loved him better than I."

From former Senator F. M. Cockrell at Washington:

"I tender deepest sympathy in your great loss. May God bless and comfort you."

From Joseph W. Folk, Colorado Springs:

"Accept my most sincere sympathy in the death of your father, former Governor Crittenden."

From John G. Hurd, Washington:

"Am keenly distressed to learn of Governor Crittenden's condition. Be assured of my sympathy and sincere hopes for his recovery."

From G. W. Zevely, Muskogee, Ok.:

"Greatly distressed by reports of your father's illness. Mrs. Zevely and myself extend our deepest sympathies."

From Mr. and Mrs. Leslie Marmaduke, St. Louis:

"Our sympathies. The governor's kindly nature won him many warm friends."

Labels: , ,

May 12, 1909



Asks Higher Salary Than Last Year
and Unconditional Release
at the End of the

Would Rather Play Billiards in Kansas City
Than Join the Cubs.

Providing Manager Frank Chance of the Chicago Cubs accepts the terms dictated by John J. Kling, the world's greatest catcher, it is very probable that Kling will leave Kansas City within the next twenty-four hours to join the Chicago team. Despite Kling's ultimatum to quit the game forever it was learned from a reliable source last night that he will return to the Cubs if the proposition he made to Manager Chance over the wire is accepted by Chance and President Charles W. Murphy of the Chicago club.

Kling received a telegram from Manager Chance asking him to join the Cubs at once as the team needed his services. The Cubs were at that time in Pittsburgh. The telegram was lengthy and the full contents were not disclosed, but it is known that Chance begged Kling to return to the team and help the Cubs in their fight for the championship. If the team is successful this year it will be the fourth straight pennant for Chicago. Manager chance has found Moran is not able to handle the receiving department of the game and he needs Kling.

But before Kling joins the Cubs President Murphy must accept a proposition which it is very probable Murphy will try to turn down, unless it is an utter impossibility to get Kling without accepting it. This, according to the information of the writer, is that Kling receive several thousand dollars more than he did last year and that he be given his unconditional release at the end of this season, which will wind up his contract with the Cubs.

When Kling first stated that he would quit baseball there were few bugs in Kansas City who believed him and some made bets with John that he would return to the Cubs. In case he returns he will have to buy a lot of hats and cigars.

One of Kling's reasons for not joining the team before was that he could not leave his business for want of a capable manager here. He has now engaged Charles Ferris, a competent billiard man, to handle his business and he is in a position to return to the game.

Labels: , , , ,

April 28, 1909


Parents, Thinking Him Gone, Wired
Police Here.

Because of the thoughtlessness of a small boy at Butler, Mo., his parents and the greater part of town were thrown into a state of excitement Monday and the police and officials at the Union depot in Kansas City were kept in anxiety for twenty-four hours as a result. Early Monday evening the following telegram was received by Station Master Bell:

"Hold boy 14 years old, fair, rather large for his age, wearing tan sweater. He will arrive there probably 5:30 from Butler. Will leave here at 6. D. K. Walker."

When the boy failed to arrive on the train designated in the dispatch, extra effort was made to watch incoming trains, both freight and passenger from that locality. The effort proved useless. The boy did not appear.

Yesterday morning the problem was solved when the station master received the second message, as follows: "Stop looking for boy from Butler. Found him in hay stack asleep."

Labels: , , , ,

April 3, 1909


Aged Man Said Roosevelt Had Left
Money at the Hall for Him.

An elderly man wearing a beard that reached nearly to his waist, walked into the offices of Mayor Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., yesterday. He could not speak English.

Through an interpreter the man's mission was learned.

"He says he is down here after that $300 you have for him," said the interpreter.

"The old man says he received a Marconi telegram this morning from Theodore Roosevelt saying he had left $300 for him with the mayor, and he wants it."

The old man was taken to Colonel Greenman. Later it was learned that he is a wealthy German and lives on Mersington. He was put in charge of relatives who explained that he has been irresponsible of late.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

March 4, 1909


Telegraphs Appreciation to President
for Interest in Son's Behalf.

In a personal telegram which was forwarded to Washington yesterday, Rear Admiral Robley D. Evans and wife thanked President Roosevelt for his efforts in behalf of their son, Lieutenant Frank Evans, whose court-martial sentence for misconduct in the Philippines last year was reduced from a loss of 150 numbers and a reprimand to a loss of fifty numbers and a reprimand. The aged parents of the young officer heard of the modification of their son's sentence at the Hotel Baltimore yesterday morning and were overjoyed.

Admiral Evans and his wife departed yesterday afternoon for Joplin, where the admiral lectured last night.

Labels: , , , , , ,

January 11, 1909


Dr. W. S. Wheeler, City Health Com-
missioner, Declares the New Or-
leans Scheme a Fad.

"Medical inspectors in the public schools have asked the board of education to have surgeons remove adenoids from bad boys to make them good," reads a dispatch from New Orleans.

"Nothing but a fad," said Dr. W. S. Wheeler, city health commissioner, when shown the telegram last night. Though he is an earnest believer in medical inspection of the schools, Dr. Wheeler did not indorse the recommendation of the New Orleans inspectors, which he brands as faddishness.

"It is absurd to say that the removal of adenoids in bad boys will so alter their disposition as to make them good. Adenoids are simply glandular growths in the throat, back of tonsils, and are brought on by sever colds and other causes. Their removal often rids the victim of a certain impediment in speech, but as to any effect on the character of the boy who undergoes the operation, which is a simple one, there is none."

Labels: , , , ,

January 8, 1909





Little Light on Mysterious Deaths of
J. W. Brault and Mrs. Julia
Kenner in Their Troost
Avenue Apartment.

With no external evidence as to how or why they came to their end, J. W. Brault and Mrs. Julia Kenner were found dead in a room at 1517 Troost avenue at 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon. Whether it was a suicide pact between the man and Mrs. Kenner, who may be his wife, or a murder and a suicide, the police are unable to say. The woman was a baking powder demonstrator and about 38 years old. The man at one time was an agent for crayon pictures. He looked to be 45 years old. The couple evidently died yesterday morning.

They had been doing light housekeeping and when Mrs. Mary Kimmons, who conducts the apartment house where the two roomed, failed to detect the usual odor of cooking food at noon yesterday she sent W. F. Gray, who, with his wife, lives in the apartment house, to investigate. Gray found the door locked. He climbed up and looked over the transom. He saw the two bodies lying on the bed. That of the man was on its back; that of the woman was lying across him, the hands clasped as if in agony, the face contorted.


The police and coroner were united. Two detectives and Deputy Coroner Harry Czarlinsky broke in the door. From the position of the bodies, the detectives were led to believe that the man died first. There were no marks of violence on either body. Poison probably caused the death of both, but only a postmortem examination, which will be made this morning, will establish the fact.

When Mr. Gray looked over the transom, he said he smelled chloroform, but no trace of the drug was found. There was a small vial of laudanum on the dresser, but Dr. Czarlinsky said that there was no evidence of laudanum poisoning.

Mrs. Gray, wife of the man who made the discovery, said that about 3 o'clock yesterday morning she heard Mrs. Kenner rush across the floor screaming "Help," and "Lord have mercy!" She paid little attention to the cries then, as she and Mr. Gray had often heard the couple quarreling. However, she told Mrs. Kimmons of it just before noon.

The dead man and woman came to the apartment house a week ago and registered as man and wife.


Many letters addressed to Mrs. Julia Kenner were found, but there was only one that might have belonged to Brault. This one was to the Egg Baking Powder Company of New York and applied for a position as agent. It set forth that Brault had married Mrs. Kenner, alluded to as "one of the company's best demonstrators." It was evidently a copy of a letter Brault had sent to the company.

In the meagerly furnished room was a bed, a center table on which was a pan of biscuits,, a dressing table crowded with bottles of various descriptions, and a trunk, the property of Mrs. Kenner. On top of some articles of woman's wear in the trunk was a telegram addressed to "Mrs. Kenner, 132 West Court street, Cincinnati, O." It read:

"Letter mailed today. Am well. Lots of love. -- Your Harry."

The searchers could find no other indication that a man whose first name was Harry had ever written the woman. Another letter from the Egg Baking Powder Company of New York was addressed to the woman at 1512 Biddle street, St. Louis.


The theory the police first entertained was that lack of money had brought on despondency which had occasioned the double tragedy. This was given up when a certificate of deposit for $50 on the Exchange Bank of Kansas City was discovered in the trunk.

Dr. Harry Czarlinsky, the assistant coroner, said last night he was entirely at sea as to the method used in bringing death to the couple. He was sure neither gas nor chloroform was used.

"My opinion is that the woman killed the man and the in her desperation put an end to herself," said he. "From the appearance of the room and of the bodies I do not consider it possible that some one could have entered the room and murdered the couple."

That was also the opinion of Lieutenant W. J. Carroll of No. 6 police station, to whom the tragedy was first reported.

The bodies were ordered taken to the Leo J. Stewart undertaking establishment.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

December 25, 1908


Mrs. Alvina Morrell, of the Mon-
damin, Left a Note Saying,
"I Am So Tired."

Worry because her business was losing money caused Mrs. Alvina Morrell, 38 years old, the owner of the Mondamin hotel at Twelfth and Washington streets, to commit suicide last night by taking bichloride of mercury. Mrs. Morrell came here last August and assumed charge of the hotel, and had been losing money steadily ever since.

A note hastily scribbled on a piece of cardboard, probably after the poison had been swallowed, read as follows:

"Let me sleep. I am so tired. Give all I have to mother. Lillie, by-by, I am sick. ALVINA."

The Lillie referred to is her sister, who lives in St. Louis. A telegram from her was received in the afternoon my Mrs. Morrell, saying that the former could not come to this city for Christmas, but would be here the next day. Mrs. Morrell's mother also lives in St. Louis and is very ill. Mrs. Morrell was a widow.

Deputy Coroner Harry Czarlinsky was summoned and made an examination. The body was removed to O'Donnell's undertaking rooms.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

December 22, 1908



The Girl Declares She Is 18, and That
Her Father Wants Her Single
So He Can Use
Her Land.

Young hopes were blighted and an elopement nipped in the bud late yesterday afternoon, when a telegram was received at Central police station from Sheriff L. S. Dallas of Mayes county, Okla., asking that Dora Fair, a quarter-blood Cherokee Indian lass, and Louis Rodgers, said to be part negro and part Indian, be held until further notice.

The couple were arrested by detectives in the Union depot the moment they alighted from the northbound train. The girl was dressed in a blue serge dress. Because of an extraordinary shortness of her skirt she appeared much younger than 18, which she gave as her age. She was pretty, too, and an abundance of dark hair hung below her waist. Rodgers also looked the typical half-breed Indian.

Miss Fair and her lover were taken to police headquarters, the girl being placed in the detention room, Rodgers getting an iron-bound den in the basement.

"It's all a mistake and it's cruel to keep us from getting married when we have gone to such trouble to get here where we supposed no one would look for us," sobbed Dora to Police Matron Joanna Moran last night. "I am sure it was my father who sent the telegram. He never wanted me to get married at all, he never did. My mother, who was a pure-blooded Cherokee, ran away from us when I was a baby and father married again. He always liked me. I own the land he farms, or tries to farm, near Pryor Creek.


"I have known Louis since I was a little girl and we had grown very fond of each other before he came back from the West this last time. He used to work for father, but they had a disagreement several months ago so Louis skipped out for Montana.

"Several times I told father I loved Louis and wanted to marry, but all I got for my pains was advice not to marry. He always tried to joke me out of the notion. When I saw he never would be serious about my relations to Louis, we packed up our duds and skipped.

"The plan was to come to Kansas City first, get married and then go to Montana to the beet fields where working men like Louis can get good wages, or about $75 a month. That would have been enough to support us with the rent off my farm and the $600 Louis had saved.

"But my father was very angry, as we knew he would be, when he heard about our running away. When he is out of patience he will say and do anything, so in order to stop us I guess he sent word to the officers here that Louis was a negro with kinky hair and I was only 16 years old, which is wrong. Louis is brother to my father's wife, or my step-mother, and there is no negro blood in him. I was 18 last January 15."


Before the Fair girl was taken to the detention room at the station she was kept for several hours at the Helping Hand institute. She cried continually and would not be pacified.

"I want to find Louis!" she kept crying. "We were to be married today and it is getting late. He must be waiting for me somewhere. What will he think!"

Rodgers was called from his cell to be examined by Police Captain Walter Whitsett last night. He told a straight story. corresponding in every particular to that of his sweetheart. When he was returned to the cell the captain said he thought the boy was a good worker and honest and intended to marry the girl all right and would have done so if left alone yesterday.

According to Rodgers his father and mother were both fullblooded Cherokee Indians.

Sheriff Dallas is expected to appear at Central police station sometime this afternoon. It is thought extradition papers will not be necessary.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

December 5, 1908


Daniel Curtin, Worth $50,000, Re-
cently Married and Then

Declared insane by the probate court more than two weeks ago, possessed of an estate valued at $50,000, Daniel Curtin has disappeared from his home at 3719 Main street. With him is his wife and perhaps a young man who has been looking after his needs.

Virgil K. Tuggle, assistant cashier of the New Engalnd National bank, is Curtin's guardian. He was appointed November 17, when Curtin, who was a Union Pacific conductor, was declared insane. Mr. Tuggle reported that $44,000 of the estate was in bonds, mortgages and the like, and that the house at 3719 Main street, also owned by Curtin, was worth $6,000.

What the guardian did not know, however, was that Curtin, who for years had lived in a room which he rented from Mrs. Laura Stuber on Baltimore avenue almost opposite the hotel of the same name, and married Mrs. Stuber about two months ago in Independence. He bought the Main street home about four years ago. Mrs. Stuber took up the duties of housekeeper in the new home. The wife objected strongly when Mr. Tuggle tried to take charge of all the property. Curtin grew worse and worse, so the guardian, who had employed a young doctor to be constantly at Curtin's side, asked the probate court for an order to send the ex-conductor to a private sanitarium in the neighborhood of St. Louis. When officers of the court went to the home on Main street to take Curtin away, they were told that both he and his wife were gone. It was said they had gone to Chicago.

Notice of their flight has been telegraphed to various cities, in the hope that Curtin may be found. Meanwhile steps are to be taken, so the attorney for some of Curtin's relatives says, in an attempt to have the marriage annulled, on the ground the Curtin, at the time of the ceremony, was not in full possession of his mental faculties.

CHICAGO, Dec. 4. -- (Special.) The Chicago police this afternoon received telephone and telegraph requests from Chief of Police Daniel Ahern of Kansas City, asking the arrest of Dan Curtin of Kansas City. The telegram stated that Curtin was insane, and was supposed to be stopping at the Stratford hotel, and the police have been unable to locate them. The detectives learned, however, in a round-about way, that Curtin was supposed to be at the Southern hotel in St. Louis, and the Kansas City chief has been notified to this effect.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

November 4, 1908


Great Crowds in Front of Newspaper
Offices -- Returns at the

Republicans and Democrats alike, not to mention members of the lesser parties, stood cheek by jowl for hours last night -- not in beatific political harmony -- but in a common desire to rubber over the other fellow's shoulder and catch the flashes of election news that were thrown on canvass screens by the stereopticon in many parts of the city. Everybody jostled and laughed and gently roasted each other, and when the returns suited them yelled approval, but never was an ugly bit of temper put on unpleasant display.

Kansas City stayed up late enough to learn the approximate fate of its favorite candidate, and then went to bed with a fair assurance that it would awaken in the land of the free whether Taft, Bryan, or somebody else were elected. For once in the year at least, Papa Casey had a healthy excuse to present to Mamma Casey for staying out so late, but for the fact that in many cases that she was out with him and all the little Caseys.


Most of the crowd didn't see the men behind the stereopticon, seated at tables and busily transcribing telegrams to the little glass slides in black drawing ink. They had to write minutely so as to get all of a telegram on one of the three by four panes of glass, but the phonographs and cartoons kept the people standing until another fresh slide was ready to put in.

The adding machine was in much demand and whole batteries of them did nocturnal duty in the various newspaper offices, with experts from the banks who knew how to punch the keys properly. Though serpentine in name, the adders produced some straight figures that won't miss the official returns very far, for the benefit of the multitude.


In the lodge room of the Elk's Club the furniture was swathed in roughing-it covering and the members held forth for the night, as was true at the Commercial Club, where the attaches of the club and transportation bureau were enlisted in the work of handling the returns.

At the Y. M. C. A. a wire was cut in and between telegrams the waiters were entertained by a stereopticon lecture on California by Aldred Foster of New Zealand.

Members of the Railroad Club heard the returns at the club rooms in Walnut street and after the theaters closed Thespians came up to join them.

Federal officers and employes for the most part heard the returns in the federal court room on the third floor of the postoffice building, and in Convention hall and at the corners of Eighth and McGee, Tenth and McGee and Eleventh and Grand great crowds stood far into the night to get the returns as they came in.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

August 30, 1908


Convention Hall Engaged for Joint
Meeting of Independence Party.

Thomas L. Hisgen, presidential candidate on the Independence party ticket, and William R. Hearst will be the principle speakers at the joint meeting of Western Missouri and Kansas adherents to be held at Convention hall September 19. J. L. Woods Merrill, national committeeman and chairman of the state committee of the Independence party, received a telegram yesterday assuring him that both Mr. Hearst and Mr. Hisgen will be here.

It is expected that many hundreds of persons inclined to the views of Mr. Hearst will come here for the occasion. Elaborate preparations have been made for the occasion.

Labels: , ,

July 10, 1908



Rev. Andrew T. Osborn Declares He
Can Paint "Spirit Pictures,"
and That It's All a Fake.
He'll Do It Tonight.

There was a lack of harmony between the advocates of spiritualism and Rev. Andrew T. Osborn, versed in the ways of mediums and the occult psychic phenomenon, at an expose in the Grand Avenue Methodist church last night. At times relations were so strained between the two, chiefly on the part of the spiritualists, that loud and somewhat sarcastic talk was frequently indulged.

It all came through the well known Bangs sisters, lately of Kansas City. These sisters, who trafficked in the life and sayings of the "other world," made quite an impression upon the spiritualistic sect in Kansas City. Their chief means of revenue was in painting pictures "by angel hands" of people in the spirit world. These sisters amassed a fortune by causing to be painted, through "supernatural means," the likeness of the dead upon a canvas which was stretched across a window.

Rev. Mr. Osborn, after some study and praying hit upon a scheme of "angel painting." To a select circle of friends he demonstrated his ability along such lines, and then declared the Bangs sisters to be frauds and fakirs. These pictures, according to Rev. Mr. Osborn, are drawn by mental suggestion. Just how the mental suggestion is worked in he has not yet explained, but at the same time he charged the Bangs sisters with having deceived the people of Kansas City. that he himself is able to cause these "angel pictures" to appear at will is declared to be a fact by many people who have seen him do it.


Soon after the minister made his charges they were carried to the Bangs sisters by their many friends and followers in Kansas City. The result was that the minister received a telegram yesterday from the Chicago Inter Ocean, the Bangs sisters, being now in Chicago, setting forth the following:

"The Bangs sisters will give you $1,000 if you can prove your charges. Wire if you accept."

Rev. Mr. Osborn did accept, and so wired the Inter Ocean. It was in calling these Bangs sisters fakirs that the spirit antagonism was aroused among the spiritualists present last night. Before Rev. Mr. Osborn began his expose he read the telegram which has been quoted, asking that at least a dozen of his audience remain after the performance in order to give him moral support for his undertaking in Chicago. A dozen of the audience did stay, more than a dozen, fifty of them in fact, spiritualists in a big majority.

"It's easy and perfectly simple," said the minister in his talk to them, concerning the "angel painting. It is done by the influence of mind and by that niche. There is absolutely nothing supernatural about the work. The picture which is handed to you is not the picture of the person who is dead. That is not an exact likeness. The painter is usually criticized for his work in details and so he finds it easy to correct the picture.

"For example: The Bang sisters painted a picture of a young lady who has been dead for some time. The eyes and other details were left very indistinct. The person who had applied for the picture objected, saying that her sister had darker and more distinct eyes than that. Of course the picture was immediately caused to disappear and other one which better suited to the gullible sister was painted in its place."


"That is not so," said Mrs. F. Cushman, who had secured a picture of her dead sister from the Bangs sisters. "They do not make the changes. They didn't in mine, and I never heard of them doing it before. The Bangs sisters never knew my sister. They did not even know her first name. They had never seen a picture of her, for I have the only one in existence."

"Ah, there it is," broke in the minister. "You were told that it would be necessary for you to bring a picture to the seance, weren't you?"

"Yes, but it was sealed in an envelope when I went into the room. The Bangs Sisters did not see it before the picture was drawn."

The minister smiled condescendingly, but he did not ask Mrs. Cushman any more questions.

It developed that there were very few who would come out openly and side with the minister, while there were many who had absolute faith in the work and ability of the Bangs sisters.

"If he can do all that he says he can; if he can make pictures appear and stay like the Bangs sisters could, he wouldn't be in the ministry," remarked Mrs. Cushman to a gathering of her sympathisers. "There's too much money in the other business for that."

The Rev. Mr. Osborn held his peace. He says he will do the "angel painting" at his expose and lecture on the occult psychic phenomena at the Grand Avenue Methodist church.

Rev. Mr. Osborn's work last night was done to explain the method of hypnotism and mental suggestion. He explained the so-called visions people frequently have and are unable to explain. This explanation was that they are seen, but that the person is in such a condition, mentally, through much suggestion, impression or, mental shock that he transforms material objects until they look like the thing which he expects to see. Examples of making tigers out of tree stumps while walking up in the mountain wood; of a widow having seen he husband, who turned out to be a gate post, were given to illustrate his point.

Mental telepathy was explained by comparing it to wireless telegraphy, Rev. Osborn believing that certain brain cells in one individual are so constructed or convulsions so imprinted concerning like subjects, that by intense thinking the thought form one person may be transferred to the mind of another.

His tests last night were only with hypnotism. A group of young men went upon the rostrum of the church at his request and allowed themselves to be put under his hypnotic influence.

Rev. Mr. Osborn is the pastor of the Bennington Heights Methodist Church in this city. He has long made a study of the occult phenomena and is able to do many very mysterious things Tonight he will give the exposition of the "angel painting" work and illustrate and explain the methods of mind reading. The proceeds which are made from the lectures will go towards the building fund of the new Bennington Heights church.

Labels: , , , , ,

July 7, 1908


Works for Food and Lodging for Him-
self and Dog Until Money
From Home Comes.

When he walked into the Helping Hand institute Saturday afternoon he was leading a bull dog. He was dressed in the latest fashion and his shoes were of patent leather. The clerk thought the visitor was there merely as a spectator and was somewhat astonished when he walked up to the desk, paid his 10 cents for a bed and asked: "Is there any place here that I may keep my dog?"

There was a place in the cellar and the dog was fed and put to bed at regulation time, 9 p. m. Sunday the well dressed man announced that he was "broke" and said he would have to work for what he got thereafter There was no work allowed there on Sunday, of course, but yesterday morning the man was up bright and early ready for manual labor. He was given a job washing windows on the second floor and he did his work well, they say. Twice he left his ladder suddenly and went down stairs. On his third trip interest caused E. T. Brigham, superintendent, to follow him. The man was at the telephone and Mr Brigham heard this:

"Hello, Baltimore hotel, well, has that telegram for Dr. Blank come yet?" Seven times the well dressed man visited the telephone and just at 3:15 p. m. he was rewarded. His telegram was there, he was informed. With a broad smile the man called up the New England National bank. When he finished talking he turned and said:

"Well, I guess I'll go back to the Baltimore now. I am on my way from Billings, Mont., to Galveston, Tex., and got broke here. Knowing no one here I could not ask for credit. I was glad to find a place where I could get my board and room. I'll be glad to pay you now for your trouble."

"You worked, and worked well, for what you got," he was told.

Leading the bull dog the man left the institution yesterday afternoon. The bank informed him that it was too late for him to get his money, but that he could have it this morning. The telegram gave him entree into the Baltimore again, however, and he remained there last night This morning the man, who is a Billings, Mon., dentist, will leave for Galveston.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

July 3, 1908


Little St. Louis Runaway Will Be
Cared for at Detention Home.

A broken hearted boy stood before the desk at police headquarters last evening. The cause of his grief was a telegram from his mother to the police here in which she indicated that she did not want her son at home and would not send for him. The boy was Willie Klayfisch, 15 years old, of 3722 Sullivan avenue, St. Louis, Mo. He ran away from home last Tuesday. His mother is a widow, he said. The reply was the first of its kind the police ever got here and the tender hearted ones showed they were disappointed and gave the weeping boy words of sympathy. He was transferred to the detention hime. What will be done with him is not yet known.

Labels: , , , ,

May 2, 1908


Receives Word That Committee Fa-
vors Marking Oregon Trail.

Ezra Meeker, the pioneer, who has spent much of his time in endeavoring to get congress to make an appropriation to mark the old Oregon trail, received a telegram from Congressman Humphrey at Washington yesterday to the effect that the house committee had reported favorably on a bill appropriating $50,000 for the purpose. Mr. Meeker will write a brief history of the trail to be incorporated in the committee report.

Labels: , ,

February 6, 1908


But Minstrel Show on the Lamp Cir-
cuit Didn't Get the Cash.

Last week Joe Donegan, manager of the Century, was prevailed upon to back a minstrel troupe which was to play the kerosene circuit in Kansas, and which was "bound to make us all rich," the promoter assured Donegan. The show was booked for Olathe, Edgerton, Le Loup, Pomona, Lebo and Emporia, one night each, and was then to go to Topeka and come back by way of St. Joseph.

The manager of the company each night wired news of the day's business to Donegan. The telegram the first day read: "Receipts only $21, but made good impression." The next day the receipts had dwindled to $17, but Donegan was assured again that the company had made a good impresion. Last night after the company had played Lebo, Donegan got this wire: "Receipts only $7.50, because of bad weather, but made a good impression."

Donegan immediately sent the following wire:

"Make one more impression, and then come in."

Labels: , ,

December 6, 1907



Nineteen Millions of Deposits Paid Out
Since the Statement of August 22 -
Other Banks Are Not Affected
by the Suspension.

Overwhelmed by a wave of distrust that has been steadily wearing away its resources fro nearly two months, the National Bank of Commerce, the largest bank between St. Louis and San Francisco, suspended business yesterday morning and is in charge of the office of the comptroller of currency.

At 8:30 o'clock yesterday morning, James T. Bradley, national bank examiner,, brought to the bank this notice, copies of which a messenger posted on the windows:
"This bank has been closed by resolution of its board of directors, and is
now in charge of James T. Bradley, national bank examiner, by order of the
Comptroller of the Currency."

Yesterday afternoon Mr. Bradley received a telegram from the comptroller of the currency appointing him receiver. It is probable this appointment is temporary, though this is not known.


In about six weeks the bank has paid off 19 million dollars of its deposits, reduced its loans 3 1/2 millions, cut down its cash resources 11 3/4 millions, and sold 2 millions of high grade bonds, all in the effort to meet the demands upon it. But there has been a continued drain, culminating Wednesday with a clearing house debit balance of nearly $400,000, which the bank was forced to meet. Fearing that yesterday's exactions would be beyond its power to pay the directors decided to give up the fight and let the bank be liquidated.

The directors were in session last night until after midnight and again this morning at 7 o'clock, considering plans for continuing business, but they finally decided that the task was too great.


Inside the bank, when the notice was posted, the air of the office was that of a relaxation after a terrible strain. When a man has struggled to the limit of his capacity, physical or mental, and the end has come, he rarely shows feeling.

W. S. Woods, president of the bank, and W. A. Rule, the cashier, had slept little any night for a week, and they simply let down. W. H. Winants, vice president, worked on answering telephone calls, but he showed more feeling and his voice choked when he talked. The other directors were not to be seen about the bank during the first hour. The real fight had been made by Woods and Rule. It had been desperate. Dr. Woods said he had done his best and did not know how he could do more. He regarded the loss with regret, but did not show evidence of excitement.

Of approximately 16 millions in deposits tied up in the suspension, about 5 millions belongs to Kansas City people. The remaining 11 millions belongs to out of town banks.


The only banks affected by the suspension were the two small branches of the Commerce in the West bottoms, the Stock Yards Bank of Commerce and the Union Avenue Bank of Commerce, and the First State Bank of Argentine. These institutions together had only a few hundred thousand dollars in deposits. The first two did not open yesterday morning. The third closed at noon.

When the news of the suspension became generally known there were some withdrawals from other banks, chiefly by small depositors. These withdrawals, however, were more than compensated for by the new accounts opened. All the banks were in good condition.

Labels: , , , ,

November 22, 1907




He Arrived From Peru, Kas., in Time
to Hear Her Last Words -- She
Came Here to Die at
Son's Home.
Mrs. Amantha Hatch, Predicted Her Own Death.
Who Predicted Her Own Death.

"Do you know, I am going to die tonight."

This startling statement was made by Mrs. Amantha Hatch while at the dinner table Wednesday at noon, to the rest of the family in the room. Her son, Dr. F. J. Hatch, was for the moment speechless. His mother was apparently in good health and she was only 58 years of age. Such a statement from her would have been laughed at had it not been for the tone and the manner in which she said it.

"Why, Mother," replied Dr. Hatch, "you must be joking. You couldn't make anyone believe that you were any nearer to death than I am. Let's not talk about it anymore."

And so the subject was dropped. After dinner, while the family were gathered in the library, Mrs. Hatch asked that she might see all of the family pictures which were in the house, saying,

"I want to see their faces for the last time. I told you all at the table that I am going to die tonight. Though you do not believe me, it is nevertheless true. I have known for a long time that I was going to die very soon, and something tells me that the time will be tonight.


"No I am not in any pain, nor do I feel particularly ill," she answered in reply to a question from her son. "I only wish that it were possible for me to see all of my family and friends before tomorrow, for I know that my life is over."

Her son, believing that this was only a passing fancy, got out all of the family photographs and gave them to his mother. She talked a while to each picture.

While she was doing this, a telegram was handed to Dr. Hatch. He opened it, and found that it was from his father, stating that he was coming on the next train from Peru, Kas., the home of Dr. Hatch's parents, to his wife. He said in his telegram that something was wrong with his wife. No word had been sent to him of his wife's remarks during the afternoon.

When her arrived in the city he told his sin, "I can not explain the impulse that brought me here. Something told me that Amantha was in trouble and that I would better get to her as soon as possible. Daughter tried to keep me at home, saying it was foolish for me to go, but I just had to, that was all there was to it."


When Dr. Hatch told his mother that her husband was coming, she seemed downcast and depressed over it, and was immediately taken quite ill. For a long time she was absolutely silent and seemed to be in a stupor. To her son's question as to the cause of her downheartedness, she replied in broken sentences:

"I did not want him to come. I left home and came up here to visit you so that there would be as little trouble about my dying as possible. I thought it would make things easier for those at home if I died away from them. I had planned this trip for some time, ever since the knowledge of my death came to me. Yes, I am sorry that he came. Something must have told him that I was going to die. No, I never talked of my death before him. He couldn't have known. I think I will go to bed now. Goodby my son. God bless you all."

She left the room and went upstairs where her daughter-in-law helped her to bed. At 6:30 her husband arrived and Dr. Hatch went into her room to tell her that he had come. He asked her if he should bring his father on upstairs.


"No," she replied rather dreamily. "I am not ready for him yet."

But in a few minutes she called for him and the two were left alone.

Later in the night Mrs. Hatch became much worse and began to sink rapidly. For several hours she was unconscious, but after midnight she rallied again. She called each member of the household to her bedside, and had something to tell each of them. She asked to be remembered to all her friends, whom she called by name.

There was one name which she could not recall, and it seemed to worry her very much. She never lost consciousness again, but sank gradually into an eternal slumber; the slumber for which she had waited, and which she had prophesied.

"Never in all my life have I seen as eloquent a death," said her son last night. "She did not seem to die, but rather to gain new life even up to the last. With a kind word for everyone upon her lips she passed out of this life."

Mrs. Hatch was 58 years of age and had come to Kansas City on a visit to her son, Dr. F. J. Hatch, 1502 Troost avenue. He said last night that her death was caused from apoplexy and a solidifying of the arteries. She is survived by her husband and two children. The body will be taken to Pery, Kas., for burial, and will be accompanied by Dr. Hatch and his family.

Labels: , , ,

August 25, 1907



Woman's Mind Is Getting Stronger
and She Is Able to Identify Re-
latives From Photographs
Possessed by Uncle.

Mrs. Robert Morrissey, of Boston, Mass., the young woman who landed here about two weeks ago with two small children and entirely forgot her past life, is now at the home of her uncle S. H. Pierce, 3711 East Sixteenth street. When Mrs. Morrisey was turned over to the police and later quartered at the Helping Hand institute, she did not know how she got to Kansas City. When her uncle, Mr. Pierce, appeared she did not know him, but lately her mind has cleared considerably and she, little by little, is remembering.

She has received a letter from her husband whom she placed in a hospital at Lynn, Mass., some weeks ago. He was greatly surprised to learn of her predicament in Kansas City, as he believed her at their home in Boston. He was expecting her back to the hospital to nurse him as the institution was short of nurses and had asked her to come. She had left there to go home, store her household goods, see to the care of her children and return. That is the last thing she remembers up to a day last week when her uncle here caused her to speak the name of her brother, Gerald.

Mrs. Morrisey's trunk, which had been left by her at Cleveland, O., has been received here, Mr. Pierce having sent the check on there for it. When opened it was packed entirely with bed clothing, blankets, quilts, sheets, pillow slips, etc. Not a stitch of the clothing Mrs. Morrisey expected was in the trunk. She thinks that she made the mistake by taking a trunk she had intended to store when she left home in her absent state of mind.

Another thing which she cannot explain is the presence of some of the children's clothing and a few of her own in a mouse colored suitcase. She says she never possessed a suitcase of that description. That is one of the many mysteries which will have to be cleared up later..

Mr. Pierce has received a letter from Mrs. Morrisey's father, S. W. Leavitt of Mansfield, Mass. He was also surprised to know that his daughter was here. He told Mr. Pierce that he would leave for Kansas City in a short time to take her home. He cannot account for his daughter's queer freak of packing up and leaving home with her two small children -- one of them only a few months old -- unless it be that the illness of Mr. Morrisey had caused her to suffer a season of double consciousness from worry.

"She has greatly improved," said Mr. Pierce yesterday. "When I first saw her two weeks ago she did not know me and could recognize none of the family pictures I showed her. Now she can pick out her relatives from any pictures I show her. All of her past life has come back to her with the exception of the period embraced in the time she left home and landing here. She knows nothing of how she left, why she left, what route she took here or what occurred during her trip. The more we think of it, we are sure that the telegram about her being in Terre Haute, Ind., is a fake, for we cannot trace her anywheres near there. If that be true, the statement accredited to her there is also a fake."

Mrs. Pierce, who has been away from the city, is at home now, and the distressed niece and her children are receiving the best of attention. Mr. Leavitt, Mrs. Morrisey's father, in his letter to Mr. Pierce, states that his daughter had suffered from short spells of lapse of memory, but that none had been as serious as the recent one.

Labels: , , , , ,

August 6, 1907


Jack Cudahy Compelled to Abandon
Denver Auto Trip.

J. P. Cudahy, who started on a speed run for Denver Saturday night in his Welch Touring car, failed to reach his destination in the manner contemplated. According to a telegram received at the Ettwein Motor Car Company's garage yesterday morning Mr. Cudahy was compelled by impassable roads to stop at Wamego, Kas., which is 130 miles west of Kansas City. He and Mr. C. F. Ettwein, who accompanied him on the trip, are believed to have gone on to Denver by rail. The car is to be shipped back to Kansas City this morning.

Labels: , ,

August 5, 1907



Money She Had Saved to Pay Her
Fare to Arizona Spent in the
Effort to Obtain Hus-
band's Pardon.

Lying bedfast, a sufferer of consumption due partly to her husband's incarceration in the Arkansas penitentiary, Mrs. John A. Lowrey, 1106 Cherry street, is living daily in the hope that some means may be provided whereby she can be taken to Arizona, where physicians say recovery is possible.

For six months Mrs. Lowrey pleaded with the authorities of Arkansas to release her husband, every day exhausting some new resource, and every day renewing with indomitable energy her fight for his pardon.

Finally, in sheer desperation, she sought the aid of kind friends in Kansas City. She told them of her plight, and said she must secure Lowrey's release or die an early death. Protesting that he was innocent of the charge upon which he was summarily convicted and quickly railroaded to prison, where he was sentenced to one year's servitude in Little Rock, after two juries had failed to agree, she won her first victory and went to Arkansas.

As only a loving mother and a devoted wife can plead, Mrs. Lowrey, with evidence tending to show that her husband was probably innocent of the crime of robbing a man in Fort Smith, eloquently and forcibly presented her case.

Returning to her two little children in Kansas City, weakened and much worse as the result of her long trip, Mrs. Lowrey daily awaited news from Arkansas. The days passed without cheering news and the weeks came and went.

One day a telegram came telling her that her fight was won and that on the following day, July 27, John Lowrey would be a free man.

Without funds or friends, Lowrey made his way back to Kansas City as quickly as possible. Then came the reunion. But with all its joys it had been saddened by the decline of the faithful wife's health.

Like his wife, broken in health as a result of his prison life and reduced to poverty, in debt, but not without friends, the husband started life anew.

But with his wife a victim of tuberculosis, unable to render him even the necessary assistance towards the care of the home and children, the burden of Lowrey was doubled.

Then followed the struggle for regained health. Mrs. Lowrey believed that her husband's return to her would give her new strength sufficient at least to overcome the disease which had taken hold of her.

The crisis came yesterday. The family physician told the sick woman that her only hope for life lies in a speedy change of climate, Arizona preferably.

Now a greater problem than that which faced him several months ago faces John Lowrey.

"My heroic wife secured my freedom from prison; how can I take her to Arizona?"

"I am doing all in my power to save my wife's life," said Lowrey last night. "I owe a debt of gratitude to my brave wife more sacred, if possible, than that of a mere husband. We believe that her life can be greatly prolonged by a change to a Western climate. I hope to obtain work on the railroad at Phoenix; I am corresponding with the officials there now and I look for a favorable reply in a day or two."

Mrs. Lowrey had saved $50 to pay her fare at the time her husband's trouble occurred. It was a fortune to her. She spent her money in her efforts to secure her husband's release from prison.

Labels: , , , ,

July 15, 1907


Funeral Planned at Muncie, Ind.,
Is Postponed.

The body of a woman who committed suicide in Kansas City, Kas., June 26, and was identified by several friends as that of Mrs. Inez Ford, or, as she was better known, as Ona Ray Polk, and was sent to suppoosed relatives in Muncie, Ind., is said by those to whom it was sent to not be the body of Mrs. Ford. Chief Hayes received a telegram last night from the chief of police at Muncie, asking that an investigation be made and learn, if possible, if anything could be found that would establish to a certainty her identity.

The woman had a quarrel on the morning of June 26 with Frank Palmer. At noon of that day she carried his lunch to him at Fowler's packing house, where he was employed, and swallowed carbolic acid in his presence, dying a few minutes later. Her body was taken to the undertaking establishment of Gibson & Porter, in Kansas City, Kas., and there it was held for several days before the whereabouts of relatives were learned. Two women, who lived in Sheffield, called at the morgue and identified the woman as Mrs. Inez Ford, who deserted her husband, Irwin Ford, in Terre Haute, Ind., and came to Kansas City with Frank Palmer. Ford was notified, and, in turn, the father, Edward Hurst, of Muncie, was informed.

The body was ordered removed to Muncie, and the body was sent collect on delivery. The express charges were paid at the other end, and an undertaker in Muncie was instructed to take charge of the body. However, when arrangements were being made for the funeral, a doubt arose on the part of Mr. Hurst as to whether the body was really that of his daughter.

The funeral was postponed and the police there were asked to appeal to the police here to make a thorough investigation.

Labels: , , , ,

April 28, 1907



Father Gives Consent and She Returns to Home
Where She Was Marguerite Jackels--
Ready to Get a Divorce,
She Says.

Less than ten days of married life proved to Mr. and Mrs. Walter D. Smith, 20 and 19 years old, respectively, that the path of matrimony may e a thorny one. Mrs. Smith, formerly Miss Marguerite Jackles, the daughter of Charles F. Jackels, 3653 Harrison, left the roof of her mother-in-law, 1809 East Seventh street, last Thursday evening and returned to the home of her parents, where she declares she will remain.

The marriage of the two, which, in reality, was an elopement, a week ago last Wednesday afternoon, created considerable interest on account of aid given them by young Smith's father, in the face of strong objections made by the young woman's parents.

The young woman was a student of Miss Bigelow's private school, and on the date of her elopement attended the morning session. Walter Smith, who is the son of Sigel D. Smith, a cigar salesman, had left Central high school in January. The two had been sweethearts since childhood, but several months before their elopement the Jackels had forbade him coming to their home. On the day of their marriage the couple met and went to the court house, where the elder Smith was waiting. After procuring the license, a drive to the home of Rev. George H. Combs, pastor of the Independence Boulevard Christian church, was made, and in the presence of the father and mother of young Smith the knot was tied. Mr. Jackels, who is a traveling salesman, was away at the time, but when Mrs. Jackels heard of the marriage, three hours after it had taken place, she hurried to police headquarters to enlist the services of the police in helping her to locate the two. She heard that they were at the Kupper hotel, and there she rushed, to find that they had taken dinner there and gone. There was nothing for her to do then but to send a telegram to her husband. This was done, and the father of the girl hurried back to Kansas City. The couple had gone to the home of young Smith's parents to live, and word was sent by the father to his daughter that he would never consent to his son-in-law entering his home, but for her the latchstring would always hang on the outside.

For several days there was not a ruffle to mar the happiness of the two, but about the fourth day the young bride began to show discontent. The Smiths did all in their power to make surroundings pleasant for her, but to no avail. Last Monday she called up her parents by telephone, and asked her father if she might return home and bring her husband.

The reply was firmly in the negative, the father repeating his edict against young Smith ever entering his home. Wednesday she called her father up again and asked if she could return home, this time alone.

"I want to come home so badly, father," she pleaded. "I am sorry I did it. I wish I hadn't got married."

"Marguerite, I am sorry, too," replied the father, "but live with him a year, and then if you want to, come back you may."

Left alone Thursday morning by her husband, the girl brooded over her troubles, and, at last, declaring that she could no longer stand it, for the third time called up her father.

"Please let me come now," she said appealingly. "Let me get a divorce. I cannot stand this any longer."

The father finally gave in to his daughter's pleadings, and, accordingly to arrangements she met her father at the home of a girl friend, and the two returned home together.

"I am so happy to get back to my home," she declared. "It seems so good to have my mamma and papa, and be here right in my own home. I don't see whatever possessed me to do as I did. I will ever leave it again. I will never return to my husband under any circumstances."

Mr. Jackels said last night that so long as his daughter was happy he was satisfied with conditions.

"Of course, the marriage of my daughter was an unfortunate occurrence," he said. "it was a misstep on her part, but we are all ready to forgive her. Nothing has been decided as to what further will be done regarding obtaining a legal separation, but Marguerite will go back to school and complete her education. However, she will not go to school again in Kansas City. We had planned before to send her away to school next year and this former plan will be carried out."

Young Smith was out of the city last night. He went away Friday morning on business, according to his father, but will return within a few days.

"My son's wife received the best kind of treatment at our house," said Mr. Smith. "We treated her as if she were our own daughter and so far as her surroundings being made pleasant, everything possible was done by us to accomplish that end. Everything would have gone along nicely had not the influence of the girl's parents been brought so strongly to bear upon the young woman. Homesickness seized the girl."

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

The Son of Jesse James is Accused of a Train Robbery at Leeds ... Can he get a fair trial in Kansas City?
The Trial of Jesse James, Jr.

>>More KC Books<<

As an Amazon Associate this site may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory