Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

August 14, 1909


John Butterly of Chicago Stricken
at Fairmount, Dies.

While swimming in the pool at Fairmount park yesterday afternon John Butterly, 22 years old, died of heart failure. Mr. Butterly lived at 83 Edgemont avenue, Chicago, Ill, and was at the park with W. F. Tobin, 2815 Michigan avenue, Kansas City. Tobin says that Butterly was an expert swimmer and an all round athlete. Dr. William Gilmore, who attended the dead man, said that his death was due to heart failure rather than drowning.

Butterly was swimming in the part of the lake where the water is twenty-two feet deep. He was seen suddenly to go under water, and even though he made no outcry it was evident he could no longer swim. Harry Leidy, the life saver at the park, plunged in after the man and within four minutes had carried him ashore. The fact that there was no water of any consequence in the man' slungs led the physician to believe death was due to heart failure.

Mr. Butterly was a clerk in a gas office in Chicago. He was unmarried. The body was taken to O'Donnell's undertaking rooms and will be sent to Chicago.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

July 28, 1909


With Twenty Swimmers Close at
Hand, Bather Goes Down
Third Time at Y. M. C. A.

With more than a score of persons swimming within ten feet of him yesterday afternoon in the swimming pool in the Y. M. C. A. building, P. H. Hanner, a deaf mute 23 years old, living at 517 Washington, was almost drowned before he could attract the attention of anyone. Hanner struggled several minutes and had sunk for the third time before it was realized that he was drowning. It took two hours to resuscitate him.

When Hanner's limbs began to tire and he realized that he couldn't reach safety, he tried to motion for help. No one saw him. He could not cry out, and the water with its splashing bathers , made invisible his signals for help.

He sank for the first time and rose to the surface; a moment later his lungs filled with water. In desperation he waved his hands. The second time he sank he began to think that the end was near.

"That's a pretty good diver," said someone. "See how he stays under water."

Just as he was sinking for the third time, one of his companions noticed the agonized expression on his face. The attention of several others was called, and he was pulled to safety. The ambulance from police headquarters was called and Dr. F. R. Berry induced artificial respiration until he recovered consciousness.

Labels: , , , ,

July 17, 1909



Playmate, in Swimming With the
Younger Lad, Makes Heroic
Struggle to Rescue Him, but
Becomes Exhausted.

Starr Allison, the 9-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Allison, 3532 Windsor avenue, was drowned about 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon in a slough immediately west of the entrance to the Milwaukee bridge on the Missouri river.

Clyde Perkins, 13 years old, made a most heroic effort to save his playmate. Twice he was dragged beneath the eddying waters, but becoming exhausted himself, he was forced to release his grasp on the drowning lad to save his own life. The drowned boy's body has not yet been found. Young Perkins is a stepson of K. L. Perkins, a druggist at 3600 St. John avenue.

W. H. Jackson, 3011 East Twenty-third street, was fishing about 100 yards south of where the boys were swimming. Hearing repeated cries for help he looked toward the slough and saw Perkins struggling in the eddy with his little friend. Perkins is said to be an excellent swimmer for a boy his age.

"The Perkins boy was holding to the Allison boy, and at the same time trying to master the swiftly rushing eddy and get his companion to a place of safety," said Jackson. "I believe it was he who made the outcry. While running along the steep embankment of the railroad to get near enough to go in I saw the boys sink twice. The next I saw, Perkins was alone swimming toward the bank just beneath the bridge."

The Perkins boy, after gallant fight to save a human life, was almost exhausted when he reached the bank. Johnson supported him until he was rested. He had swallowed a quantity of water. After a time the two secured little Starr's clothing, and, realizing what the shock would be to the mother, left them with a neighbor next door.

J. L. Allison, father of the drowned boy, is connected with the Allison-Richey Land Company at the Union depot.

"Star went down to Kanoky, as the boys call the place, with some other boys the other day and they all went bathing in the shallow pond," Mr. Allison said. "He was greatly delighted over the new venture, but his mother and I cautioned them.

"This morning when he asked to go down there again with Clyde, his mother refused her consent until he had secured mine. He called me up at my office, but I was out. He begged his mother until she consented after he had promised not to go in the water. We understand the Perkins boy told Starr to stay out, and he certainly made an effort to save our boy."

"Star wanted to go in when we got there," said Clyde Perkins, "but I would not let him. After a short time he went behind some tall weeds and the next I saw he was in the water. Then I told him to stay close to the bank, where it was shallow. While swimming later I saw him wading out from the bank. There is a step off, made by the eddy, and he went down. Then I swam and caught hold of him.

"He was excited and struggled hard or I believe I could have gotten him to shore. After he had dragged me under twice I became so exhausted that I had to release him and make for the bank myself. It seemed to me that I barely made it, too."

W. H. Harrison, former license inspector, Herman Robrock, and Dr. C. O. Teach, neighbors of Mr. Allison, with three men from the latter's firm, went to the slough shortly after the drowning to make a search for the body. Most of the men are expert swimmers. Until 10 o'clock last night they took turns diving from different points in search of the dead boy. Grappling hooks were used and drags made. The men will return to the scene early this morning and renew their search.

Where the eddy swirls about, it has formed a whirlpool, and it is the opinion of some that the whirling waters may keep the body from floating out into the open river.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

July 16, 1909



Paul Hauber, 14, While Bathing in
a Pool at Kerr's Park Sank
in Twelve Feet of Water.


The deep ponds in and around Kansas City, Kas., which for years have been a menace to life in more ways than one, yesterday claimed another victim when Paul Hauber, 14 years old, a son of Frank J.Hauber, president of the Hauber Cooperage Company, was drowned while bathing in a pool in Kerr's park west of Kansas City, Kas., The boy was unable to swim and although his cries for help were heard by thirty companions, most of whom were in the pond at the time, they became panic stricken and ran out crying while the body of the unfortunate boy sank in twelve feet of water.

The fire department was notified of the accident and George Fuller of No. 1 truck recovered the body. Emergency treatment was administered by Dr. Mortimer Marder, assistant police surgeon, but efforts to restore life were futile. The body was viewed by Dr. J. A. Davis, Wyandotte county coroner, and removed to the family home, 744 Washington boulevard.

Three companions, Robert Johnson of 71 South Forest avenue; Joe Ramel, 1049 Ella avenue, and Floyd Russel of 1117 Ella avenue, were with young Hauber when he undressed and went into the pond. Most of the swimmers who were in the pond at that time were on the opposite side. The boy waded about for some time and being unable to swim kept close to the shore. Becoming too venturesome, however, he stepped on a shelving bank and went in over his head. Two logs were in the water not far from where the boy was struggling and had his companions kept their presence of mind one of these logs could have been pushed within his reach.

The drowned boy was a student at St. Mary's Catholic school in Kansas City, Kas., and was a universal favorite among the younger people of the city. His death is the first broken link in a family consisting of ten brothers and three sisters. Once before the boy had a narrow escape from death by drowning. About two years ago he fell into a pond near his home, and his feet becoming entangled in some wire, he was rescued with difficulty.

Dr. J. A. Davis, Wyandotte county coroner, said last night that an inquest might be held over the body. In any event an effort will be made to provide in some way against the repetition of yesterday's fatality. The pond in which young Hauber met his death yesterday has been the scene of several drownings, one boy having drown there last summer. Chief of Police W. W. Cook last night said that every effort was being made by the police to prevent the boys from going into ponds in and near the city.

Funeral arrangements for young Hauber have not been made.

Labels: , , ,

July 10, 1909


Current Too Swift for Charles
Knapp, a Sheffield Laborer.

While swimming in the Blue river yesterday afternoon below the Kansas City Southern bridge, Charles Knapp, a laborer for the Kansas City Bolt and Nut Company, was drowned. The body was quickly recovered.

Knapp was accompanied by E. J. Slaughter of 3006 East Twenty-fifth street, who was barely able to swim, and could render no assistance to the drowning man. Knapp climbed on a girder and dived out as far as possible. The current was swifter than he calculated and after a few struggles to get to the bridge he gave up and sank.

Slaughter telephoned the Sheffield police station but help arrived too late. The body was taken to Blackman & Carson's undertaking rooms in Shefffield by Deputy Coroner Harry Czarlinsky. Knapp's mother, Mrs. William Brown, lives near St. Clair on the Independence line.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

June 7, 1909


Two-Mile and Half-Mile Contests
in Fairmount Lake.

Several thousand persons lined the banks of the lake at Fairmount park yesterday afternoon to watch the boat races and swimming races that were a part of the park's free attractions for the day. And while these thousands were watching these attractions, a few more thousands were seeing the vaudeville show, and others were keeping the concession men and ticket sellers busy.

Sunshine, a rising temperature and the knowledge that no rain was in sight -- that was the reason for the crowd.

There were boat races of a half-mile, a mile and a mile and a half. Then the big event, a race of two miles, was pulled off. It was between William McPike of Warrensburg and C. L. Gardner of Hannibal, Mo. As the contestants fought for the first place the crowd on the bank cheered and picked winners. After several spurts, Gardner finally won the race. A swimming race of one half mile was also one of the interesting events. It was between J. J. Williams and F. R. Polland of this city. Polland won.

The vaudeville show yesterday afternoon was entertaining. The bill included Huffell and Huffell, singers and dancers, McLane and Simpson, comedians and Arthur Browning, a dancer.

Zimmerscheid's orchestra gave two concerts, one in the afternoon and one at night.

Labels: , , , , , ,

May 30, 1909


"Come On In, the Water's Fine,"
Says the Press Agent.

If the sun shines today -- and the weather department says it is sure to this afternoon -- it will bean the beginning of the swimming season at Fairmount park. The sunshine of the last few days has warmed the water to a very comfortable degree and with the improvements that have been put in on the beach, the water should be very enjoyable today.

Today a new weekly vaudeville bill begins at the park. Rand's dog circus is one of the principal acts, consisting of a troupe of thirty dogs that do nearly everything except talk. Of course, they bark as a substitute, but that isn't admitted as conversation. Among the dogs is "Marvelous Ted," a wire-walking dog. Meyers and Mason are comedians of the unusual kind. Tackahira is a Japanese wire-walker and does many things that are novel. There are to be two shows this afternoon and two at night. Between the shows Zimmerschied's orchestra will give a programme.

Tomorrow is Decoration day and that means a large crowd at Fairmount park. Because of this and because of the day, the park management has arranged a fireworks display which will be given at 9 o'clock at night. They pyrotechnics are to be fired from the balloon grounds, across the lake from the boathouse, and will include about everything in the fireworks line that can be exploded at night. Of course, there will be the usual pinwheels, skyrockets in bunches. Roman candles by the box and many novelties. Four vaudeville shows will also be given tomorrow.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

May 23, 1909


South Side Amusement Resort Be-
gins Its Season Today.

Among the offerings for the first week is Ferullo's band, that splendid organization which has won enduring popularity in Kansas City, whose music is as distinctive as is the conducting of its gesticulating leader, Francesco Ferullo. And then there are the sea cows. Unless you have lived on the coast of Florida you have never seen one of these monsters, whose heads are like that of a gentle bovine and whose tails can kill a shark with one stroke. Alligator Joe is as proud of his sea cows as he is of his hoary alligators.

The tickler, the dip coaster and the scenic railway have been so extensively improved that each will provide even more sensations than formerly. A swim in filtered water can be enjoyed in the big tank at the north end of the park together with a sand bath in the recently built beach.

The German village and its vaudeville will be as interesting as ever. The bill for the first week includes: The Gafney troupe, singing and dancing; Anna L. Scannell, toe dancer; Dick and Barney Ferguson, comedy singing and dancing; Grace Passmore, the woman with the baritone voice; and the Iskawa troupe of Japanese acrobats.

Labels: , , , ,

August 7, 1908


Dr. Mathias and Dr. McGurk Among
Indians at Indian Creek.

When Dr. E. L. Matthias, probation officer, and the Rev. Dan McGurk of the Grand Avenue M. E. church went out to the boys' camp on Indian creek Wednesday, they expected to have a pleasant time. They did until they went in swimming.

As soon as the two men had joined the fifty-five boys in the swimming pool there was a concerted rush and both Dr. Mathias and Dr. McGurk reeived the ducking of their lives. Both fought, but the odds were too great. Yesterday Dr. Mathias was exhibiting a few scars of the battle.

Judge H. L. McCune of the juvenile court also went to the camp. He had an intimation of what was coming and refused to don a bathing suit, to the great disappointment of the boys.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

August 2, 1908


Hugo V. Watterich, Who Died on the
Street Friday.

There is a mystery in the life of Hugo V. Watterich 41 years old, who dropped dead at Twenty-sixth and Pennsylvania avenue Friday evening. About thirteen years ago Watterich came to Kansas City and became an artist, doing etching and pencil drawings. He was an Austrian of pleasant manners but of imperfect English, and he was very reticent about his past life. No one, except his wife, whom he married soon after coming to Kansas City, could extract from him any reference to his life before coming to this country.

And yet Watterich was a man of apparently excellent education. When the children in the neighborhood where he lived caught any strange insect or animal they would take it at once to the artist who immediately classified it. His manners, also, betokened that he had moved in society better than that in which he was thrown daily.

About four years ago he was employed by the management of Fairmount park to be swimming instructor there, a position for which his athletic prowess made him competent. He made a capable instructor and seemed to be on the road to prosperity when an accident happened which resulted in the sickness that brought on his death. A man was drowned at the bathing beach one night. As soon as Watterich heard of the accident he set about to find the body. He plunged into the water in his swimming suit and searched for the corpse. Time after time he dived, searching every part of the bottom of the lake where it was likely to be found, but without success. Cold and exhausted, he gave up search at 1 o'clock the next morning. Then he went home in a state of collapse.

From that day he never regained his health. Heart trouble, resulting from overstrain, set in, and he was soon compelled to give up his position at the park. He then became unable to work and his young wife began taking in dressmaking to support them and their small son. In periods, when he felt stronger, Watterich did a little drawing and lettering at his home, 3425 Garfield avenue. Friday night he was walking at Twenty-sixth street and Pennsylvania avenue, when he suffered a hemorrhage and dropped dead. Dr. E. A. Burkhardt was called, and sent the body home in an ambulance.

"Before he died my husband told me many things about his life," said Mrs. Watterich, "but he charged me to keep them a secret. All that I am permitted to tell is that he came of a noble family in Austria and was educated in one of the best universities in Europe. He left his fatherland while he was yet a young man for reasons which he charged me not to reveal. He then spent several years roving over every part of the world, but finally settled in this country. He never told anyone of his past life except me."

Besides the widow a 12-year-old son, Vincent, survives. Funeral services will be held at the residence Thursday morning at 9 o'clock. Burial will be in Union cemetery.

Labels: , , , , , ,

July 9, 1908


Were the Guests of Union's President and
Park Management.

As the guests of President Sam Milinkowsky and the officials at Fairmount park, about 100 newsboys, members of the Newsboys' Union No. 1, enjoyed a picnic at Fairmount park yesterday. The boys made the trip to the park in a special car and spent the day at the various amusements and in games of their own. They were given the privilege of visiting the merry-go-round, moving picture show, rocky road to Dublin and mystic cave in addition to the swimming in the lake. Ice cream and cake were served as refreshments.

In the afternoon contests in footracing were held. Abe Sheftel won the dash for boys under the age of 8 years, Max Ducov that for boys under 10 years, Joe Sheftel for boys under 12 years, Tom Cohen for the boys under 14 years and Alec Greenberg for boys under 16 years. Each dash was 100 yards.

Labels: , , , , ,

July 6, 1908



Insisted That He Could Finish the
Long Swim From Lawrence to
Kansas City, but Was
Not Permitted.
Carl Kurz, Tried to Swim to Kansas City.
Who Swam Twenty Miles in the Kaw
River at Night.

After swimming in the cold water of the Kaw river for a little more than five hours, covering in that time twenty miles, Carl Kurz, the swimmer who started for Kansas City from Lawrence, Kas, Friday night, was forced to abandon his daring feat on account of a broken oar in one of the two boats that accompanied him.

Kurz entered the water at 9:30 o'clock Friday night and left at 2:35 Saturday morning, three miles above DeSoto, Kas.

The swimmer got along fine as far as Eudora, Kas. Here the boat carrying reporters from The Journal and the Lawrence World, went ashore to telegraph to their papers. The other boat, containing Roy Stratton, a riverman, went on with Kurz.

Three miles below Eudora, the boat was thrown into a snag and in attempting to get out, Stratton broke one oar clear off just below the carlock. The swimmer and the boat drifted helplessly down the stream. Kurz did not want to go ashore, but after drifting five miles and having many narrow escapes from snags, he decided it would be best to land and wait for the other boat.

That five mile drift was full of adventure. Kurtz had to stay near the boat, widely seen to have taken a sudden liking for snags and whirlpools. Once it floated up on a submerged corn field and Kurtz for a moment got his feet tangled in a barb wire fence.

Helped by the swimmer, Stratton finally landed at 2:35 a. m.


The second boat came by an hour later and tied up with the other It was agreed that the current was too treacherous and the snags too frequent to permit one boat to tow the other in the dark. All the light the party now had was a coal oil lantern A chemical bicycle lamp the press boat carried eploded a few miles below Eudora and this boat jo urneyed seen miles in the dark.

It was decided to wait until daylight and then drop down to DeSoto, get another oar, an start a new race from DeSoto to Kansas City.

A fire was built on the bank. Over his web bathing suit Kurz put on his coat and trousers and lay down on the damp sand by the fire He slept about an hour, being awakened at daylight. He was thoroughly chilled and in no condiion to re-enter the water. But he insisted that he would be ready to start from DeSoto for Kansas City as soon as the sun rose.

The sun was up when the party limped up to the bank in front of the Santa Fe depot at DeSoto. Kurz stayed in the boat, sleeping under two overcoats. He would eat nothing. It was found that oars were as scarce in DeSoto as children in a high class apartment house.


Kurz was warmed up by this time and eager to start. He was weak, though, and was really a little afraid of the cold water. A council of war decided that since it was doubtful whether Kurz could cover the remaining forty miles in his present condition, and since the prospect of another oar was so bad that it seemed likely that one boat would have to be towed several miles before another oar could be procured, the affair was called off.

Kurz came into Kansas City from DeSoto by train. The boat will be shipped back to Lawrence.

The swimmer displayed great nerve and endurance throughout the twenty-mile swim. Disappointd by the withdrawal of the other entrants in the race, he started alone, just to show that he was no quitter. And he wasn't He plowed his way down the dangerous river through treacherous whirlpools and around snags for twenty miles, the last five miles of which were made in front of a drifting boat.

Twenty miles in that cold water is a swim that few men would care to undertake. Most of them would want to get out of the dampness long before the last mile was reached. But Kurz did all this for fun, and because he refused to take a dare.


After he swam over the dam at Lawrence, several weks ago, a Lawrence merchant asked him why he didn't try to swim to Kansas City.

"Pretty far, isn't it?" said Kurz. "And the water' cold this time of year."

"You're not afraid, are you?" the merchant said.

"No, I'm not."

"Well, why don't you try to do it?"

And Kurz tried hard to do it.

He still contends that he can make the distance, and is willing to make another attempt if he can find any one to race against him. He has no money, so can n ot make any bet wthat would ring out the swimmers who are not swimming seenty miles for fun.

Kurz has studied art at the Chicago art institute and the St. Louis art institute. He was a promising artist, but gave up his art to become a plumber. His father is an evangelical minister in Chicago. He has been all over the United States, and for several months practiced his trade in Panama. His home is now in Lawrence, but he probably will move here.

Kurz believes in fasting after a long race. After he started on the swim he did not eat a thing until yesterday morning, when he ate an orange. As soon as he arrived here he bought a chocolate ice cream soda. That was all he ate yesterday.

Labels: , , , , , ,

June 26, 1907


Firemen in East Bottoms Followed
Through Flood by Team.

When hose company No 20, Guinotte and Montgall avenues, responded to an alarm of fire from the Park grain elevator, East Lynne street and Nicholson avenue, at 8 o'clock last night, the firemen found the burning structure surrounded by at least five feet of water, surrounded by at least five feet of water. Near the elevator was a fire plug, just barely covered with water. The team followed them. The wagon floated and the horses seemed to pull it with ease while swimming. When the wagon reached a depth where the wheels touched the ground and the bed with the hose was above water the firemen reeled off a section and the hydrant man made the attachment. The line was crried into the elevator and the fire put out. When it was all over the men, horses and wagon went back the way they had come.

Labels: , , , , ,

June 26, 1908


Little Henry Hall Disobeyed His
Mother and Was Lost.

Henry, the 12-year-old son of Joseph F. Hall, 512 Tenney avenue, Kansas City, Kas., was drowned in the backwater of the Kaw river at the foot of Reynolds avenue yesterday morning. The boy had been sent on an errand by his mother, but instead of doing his mother's bidding, he met some other boys that were going swimming in the backwater that fills the hulls in the northern part of the Cypress railroad yards. Young Hall got in over his head and was drowned in the presence of a number of young companions.

Yesterday's drowning occurred within a few hundred feet of where two other small boys met death in the water last week. The body of the Hall boy was recovered and taken to the undertaking rooms of Daniels and Comfort. Coroner J. A. Davis decided that an inquest was not necessary. Joseph F. Hall, father of the boy, is employed at the Cudahy packing house, having charge of the boiler rooms there.

Labels: , , , ,

March 16, 1908


Policeman Chides Clyde Cobeck for
Plunging Into the Blue.

The first man to swim in the Blue river this spring is Clyde Cobeck, of 1037 Topping avenue. Patrolman Carl Johnson of No. 7 police station called him ashore at Fifteenth street because Cobeck was clad only in a union suit. The swimmer was about ready to come in anyhow, and remarked as he stepped ashore:

"It's the early diver who gets the cramps."

He was not arrested, but allowed to put on his garments and beat it to the nearest fire.

Labels: , , , ,

August 11, 1907


Many Other Features There to At-
tract the Pleasure Seekers.

The return balloon race between L. M. Bales and A. L. Curtiss, postponed last Sunday on the account of unfavorable weather, will be held this afternoon at Fairmount. The balloon race today will be an interesting feature in that considerable rivalry exists between the two aeronauts, and their meeting today will be one that each has looked forward to for several seasons.

Fairmount offers, besides its regular part attractions, a place for a quiet, restful outing close to the beauties of nature. The expanse of shade and grass and waterway presents a pretty scenic display, while on the lake boaters may find enjoyment and sport, while the bathing beach meets all requirements ofr the enjoyment of swimming.

Picnickers are offered every facility and accomodation for a pleasant outing on the picnic grounds in the north section of the park, near Cusenbary Springs, and where check stands are provided for baskets and other luggage.

Each afternoon and evening concerts are given by Hiner's Third Regiment band. For this afternoon and evening's concerts, two programmes of standard, popular and classical numbers will be given.

Labels: , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory