Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

October 31, 1909



Thousands of Dollars Contributed
After Announcement That Re-
quired $50,000 Had
Been Obtained.

No longer is it the Franklin institute. Satisfied with the great response made to the institute's appeal for aid, S. W. Spangler, agent for Thomas H. Swope, who gave $50,000 in land and cash conditionally to the institute, and John J. Paxton and S. S. Fleming, administrators of the Swope estate, yesterday gave to the directors of the institute the deed to the land on which the Thomas H. Swope Institute is to be built, and Mr. Swope's pledge of $25,000 in money. The deed was filed yesterday afternoon.

The officers of the institute received about $55,000 in the canvass for funds. there was $9,101.29 in cash and the rest in pledges. Ralph P. Swofford, president of the institute, Fletcher Cowherd, treasurer; and Benjamin B. Lee, H. D. Faxon, Herbert V. Jones, D. L. James, directors, and James T. Chafin, head resident of the institute, took the certificates of deposit and the pledges to Mr. Spangler's office yesterday. Mr. Paxton and Mr. Fleming, Mr. Swope's nephew, arrived soon after.


"We are satisfied entirely with the result of the campaign and with the pledges," Mr. Paxton said. "Speaking for Mr. Fleming and myself, I wish to say that every one of the Swope family sympathized with your effort to raise the fund and with the purpose for which Mr. Swope made the gift."

"My uncle was deeply interested in the institute," Mr. Fleming said. "I am glad you were successful and trust that you will be able to make the institute all that you wish it to be."

A photograph of Mr. Swope was given the institute officers. It will be framed and placed in the new institute, which is to be named for Mr. Swope. Thousands of dollars were given to the institute fund yesterday after the announcement was made that the fund was complete. The latest mail yesterday brought more and it is believed that the flood of subscriptions which started Friday will not end for several days.


Dr. W. S. Woods, of the Commerce Trust Company, gave $500 after the fund was complete. The Kansas City Live Stock Traders' exchange considered a motion to give $100 to the fund. A member suggested that a collection be taken instead. The collection was $225. The Kansas City Live Stock exchange also gave $100. More than that amount was given by the employes of Emery, Bird, Thayer's, when nearly 300 persons working in the store gave 25 or 50 cents each, after the fund had closed. Six church societies, half of them Christian Endeavor bodies, also contributed.

"Personal Help," by Churchill Bridgeford, a live stock commission man, netted the institute $1,-34 from the stock yards district in the campaign. The board of trade raised $450 and its members gave, or solicited, $2,500 for the fund.

Officers of the institute will visit other cities for ideas before the plans of the new institute will be agreed upon. One of the great needs of Kansas City, the officers say, is a modern creche. The institute now cares for children 2 years old and more, but has not been equipped to care for infants. It has been necessary to refuse to care for the babies of several mothers who are employed because of this. It is probable a creche will be added to the activities of the institute in the new building.

Labels: , , , , ,

October 13, 1909


Animal Takes the Count While Auto
Is Uninjured.

Leading behind his wagon a fine bull which he had purchased at the stock sale at the yards yesterday afternoon, G. W. Mercer of Independence was slowly toiling up the Allen avenue viaduct when a big motor car of the unfortunate color of red attempted to pass the cavalcade.

As soon as his bovineship caught sight of the carmine car there was a vigorous shaking of the head, a kicking of the heels. In his frantic efforts to get at the strange and wonderful thing, the bull got in the path of the car. There was immediately a mixup of auto, bull and wagon.

When the dust cleared away the bull was found to be down on his back, badly tangled up in the wheels of the wagon. The motor car was uninjured. Mr. Mercer reported to the police that he would prosecute the driver.

Labels: , , , ,

September 19, 1909


Everything Nearly Ready for the
Live Stock and Horse Show.

The stock yards company is beginning already the work of brightening up the yards for the American Royal Live Stock and Horse show. The fine stock pavilion, where the sale cattle are kept, is being furnished up, and the tin work painted. The yards in the neighborhood of the Royal have been largely rebuilt and remodeled this year, so that visitors will easily get an idea of the improvements and growth here.

The spaces for concessions, the booths in which manufacturers of feedstuffs and other necessities of the live stock raiser show their wares, have all been engaged -- the first time in the history of the Royal when booths along the Midway have been taken so far in advance.

There are no side shows at the Royal, since the inevitable rule has always been that one price of admission admits to everything. If anybody has anything to show, the public can see it without paying extra.

Labels: ,

August 10, 1909


Unconscious Oklahoman Carried
$2,000 Currency in His Pocket.

With $2,000 in currency in his pockets, Gus Schneider, a cattle raiser of Enid, Ok., was attacked with appendicitis while waiting for a train in the Union depot last night, and was discovered unconscious by Mrs. Ollie Everingham, the depot matron. Mrs. Everingham gave him emergency treatment until a physician, Dr. R. O. Cross, was secured from among the waiting travelers.

Schneider brought his cattle to the stock yards Saturday night. They were sold yesterday, and after dinner he walked to the depot. He did not feel well, and selected a seat near a window. He was attacked by pains in the stomach and it is presumed he lost conscious shortly afterwards.

Several phone calls were put in for physicians, all of whom happened to be out. One of the callers then used a megaphone in the waiting room, and Dr. Cross responded. Dr. Cross lives at Lahoma, Ok., and was on his way home. He accompanied Schneider on the train.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

July 13, 1909



At Topeka There Was Fall of 0.7
of Foot and at St. Joseph the
Missouri Is Stationary.
Streets Flooded.
Junction of the Kaw and the Missouri Rivers, Looking Toward Kansas City, Missouri

With a rise of over half a foot in the Missouri river yesterday, Forecaster Connor of the local weather bureau predicted a maximum stage of about 27.2 for this morning, which he believes from the information to hand will be the crest. Mr. Connor bases this prediction o n the assumption that there will be no more rains in the Kaw and Missouri river valleys.

The rise in the Missouri yesterday was rapid until 3 p. m. Since that hour it has remained stationary. This was taken by the observer to indicate that the mass of water due to recent rains had crested, and that now only the rise of the day before at Topeka and St. Joseph is to be felt here. At Topeka there was a fall of .7 of a foot during the day, while at St. Joseph the river was stationary.

The heavy rains at St. Joseph yesterday held the river up at that point, but the forecaster does not think they will influence the river there to any appreciable extent, and that by the evening it will show a good fall. The volume of water in the Missouri and Kaw rivers which must pass Kansas City, he asserts, will keep the river at a high stage for several days at least, although there is a possibility of a fall by this evening.

The West Bottoms are beginning to feel the flood now in earnest. The seepwater and sewage, together with the storm waters yesterday morning gave several sections of that district the appearance for awhile, at least, of being flooded by the river. In the "wettest block" several of the floors were under water for a couple of hours and many o f the business men and merchants in that neighborhood are ready to move if the water should go much higher.

Back water from the sewers yesterday covered sections of Mulberry, Hickory and Santa Fe street between Eighth and Ninth streets. Cellars in this district were all flooded.

The Cypress yards in the packing house district is a big lake. There are from two inches to several feet of water all over the railroad yards. Yesterday the Missouri Pacific had to run through eight inches of water at one place to get trains out from the Morris Packing Company plant. The railroad men say that they will run their trains until the water rises to such a height that the fires in the locomotives will be extinguished.

At the Exchange building at the stock yards several pumps were used to keep the basement free from water which started to come in Sunday night. Several of the cattle pens are flooded so they cannot be used and the Morris plant is almost surrounded by water. It is believed that at the present rate the water will be up to the sidewalks at the Morris plant this morning. It would take six feet more, however, to stop operations at this plant.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

June 11, 1909


Kansas City Received 35,596 of
These Animals in May.

Kansas City has long been one of the big sheep markets of the West and in the past has handled many goats, though nothing in former seasons has approached this season's receipts. With the goat interests of Texas, New Mexico and Arizona prosperous, and this being the natural market for these sections, the goat market here has always been a good one. There has been a disposition to encourage the trade, but no one dared anticipate the big gain in receipts that has taken place this spring.

H. B. Adair, the government veterinary inspector at the stock yards here, reports the inspecting at the yards during May of 35,596 goats, or 10,941 more than ever before inspected here during a single month, the biggest month's receipts ever before received being May, 1907, when they were 24,655. This makes Kansas City the greatest goat market of the country.

Labels: ,

April 19, 1909


Virne Willard, Despondent Through
Ill Health, Makes Good His
Threat to Die.

With a revolver in the right hand and a bullet hole in the head, the badly decomposed body of Eugene Virne Willard, 417 Lawton place, was found yesterday afternoon in a ditch about a mile east of the main entrance to Swope park, by two small boys, who notified park authorities.

Two patrolmen were sent from No 9 district, and Dr. Harry Czarlinsky, deputy coroner, notified. In the man's coat pocket they found a small memorandum book containing a sh ort note, asking anyone who found the body to notify his wife. It was signed, "Eugene Willard, 417 Lawton place."

The park employes did not remember having seen the man, and it could not be determined just when the suicide was committed, but he evidently had been dead several days.

Mrs. Susie Willard, wife of the suicide, when seen in their apartments at 417 Lawton place, last night, said that her husband had been afflicted for some time with tuberculosis and heart disease, and that he complained of his head.

"My husband was about 33 years old. We had been married five years," she said. "He was very nervous, and the fact that of late he was unable to attend to his duties at the stock yards about made him insane.

"Three weeks ago Virne came home and told us all he would kill himself. Later he told my mother, Mrs. Sarah Powell, that he went one time to the Kaw river to jump in, but that he found the water too shallow and too muddy for the plunge and changed his mind. By a statagem we succeeded in getting a hold of his revolver and hiding it under some papers on the cupboard. Last Wednesday we found the weapon missing.

"Thursday morning I asked Virne to go to the store and purchase some ribbon from a sample I gave him. By night he had not returned, so I notified the police. Since then my brother has tramped the outskirts of the city trying to find the body, confident that my husband had killed himself.

When ill health drove the husband to despondency, Mrs. Willard penned the note and placed it in his pocket, giving her address and asking that in case of accident she be notified.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

March 11, 1909


The Meat Packer Isn't to Blame,
Says J. P. Cudahy.

It is the fault of the people and not of the packers that the average beefsteak must be cut with a cleaver, according to J. P. Cudahy of the Cudahy Packing Company, who last night addressed the Hereford cattle breeders of the Middle West at a banquet at the Coates house. In the course of his remarks he declared the people will not buy good meat, and for that reason the packers will not buy it from the stock raiser, so the result is it does not pay to raise fancy cattle for the market.

"Hereford cattle are the best in the land," Mr. Cudahy declared, "but they are often discriminated against by packers because they are too fat. The average butcher wants to buy the leanest carcass in the packing house, for he gets more cuts from it and there is but little waste. There are a few men down in New York and Boston who will pay $2.50 for a steak, but there are 88,000,000 people in the United States who will not buy high-grade beef."

The banquet, which was given for the buyers attending the Hereford sale now in progress ant the stock yards, was attended by more than 100 stockmen.

Labels: , , , ,

November 14, 1908


That He Had the Better of This Elec-
tion Bet.

T. S. Davis thought he had won an election bet of John Rooney, but while receiving payment yesterday, he was not so sure. Both men are cattle dealers, in the business yards. By the terms of the engagement Rooney had to wheel Davis around the yards and the Exchange building in a wheelbarrow, wearing a placard announcing that he, Rooney had bet on Bryan. Yesterday was the time set for paying the bet, and when Rooney arrived with his wheelbarrow where Davis and his exulting friends were standing he had a band and a whole army with him. The losing Democrat had employed a negro band, by hook or crook had found two one-legged negroes and supplied them with police coats, helmets and clubs, and in addition he had a party of six little school girls, neatly clad. There was also the wheelbarrow and one of the biggest crowds ever packed in front of the Exchange building.

"Davis believes in social equality," read a banner carried alongside the "winner," by a negro.

"Rooney does not," read another banner, read another banner carried by one of the school children, who walked beside the "loser."

The parade stopped business for almost half an hour during its formation, progress, and disbanding.

Labels: , , , , , ,

June 22, 1908





Worry Over Business Affairs Caused
by Inactivity of Trade During
the High Water Is Given
as the Cause.

Awakened by a pistol shot at 6 o'clock yesterday morning, Mrs. Charlotte Little rushed into the adjoining room of her home in Bristol, a suburb of Kansas City, where she found her husband, Charles H. Little, lying on the floor unconscious with a bullet wound in the right temple. Mrs. Little ran next door to the residence of Dr. C. W. Martin who hurried to the ho use. After a hasty examination Dr. Martin summoned Dr. P. M. Agee of Independence, and the two physicians remained with the wounded man until he breathed his last, three hours later. From the position of the body on the floor Mr. Little had evidently stood in front of the bureau mirror and directed the aim of the weapon. A thorough search of the room revealed no note or message that he might have left explaining why he shot himself.

His wife and friends said yesterday that the dead man had never mentioned committing suicide and they could not give any reason for his doing so. Mr. Little's home life was pleasant and there was no family reasons which would cause him to want to take his life.

Mr. Little was 34 years old and was born at Des Moines, Ia., He came to Kansas City, Kas., when a small boy and was reared in that city. For a number of years he held a responsible position in the executive department of the Armour Packing Company at the local plant, resigning his position there to become associated with the E. S. Nixon Live Stock Commission Company at the stock yards. About two months ago he quit the employ of the Nixon company to engage in business for himself as a speculator at the yards. He had been fairly successful as a speculator, but was caught with a good sized bunch of cattle on his hands when the present high water destroyed the market and stopped trading at the yards. He took these cattle to his home near Bristol and placed them in a pasture which he had leased.

He was of a very nervous temperament, and ever since business at the yards was suspended he worried. His friends at the yards state that he was almost a physical wreck when he let the employ of the Nixon firm, and, instead of taking a vacation for the purpose of recuperation, he plunged into hard work again.

Mr. Little was a thirty-second degree Mason and past master of Wyandotte lodge No. 3, A. F. and A. M. He was also a member of the Shrine lodge at Leavenworth, a charter member of Wyandotte lodge No. 440, B. P. O. E., and belonged to Granite camp, Modern Woodmen of America. Besides his wife and child he is survived by his mother, one brother and two sisters. The body will be taken to the home of his sister, Mrs. Walter Ladd, 654 Washington avenue, Kansas City, Kas., today. The funeral will be held from there tomorrow afternoon at 2:30 o'clock.

Labels: , , ,

June 13, 1908


If No Further Rise Comes They'll Be
Open Again Monday.

Flood water moved out of the stock yards all day yesterday, and the yard management and the commission men felt cheerful. The flood, as far as could be seen yesterday, did but little damage to the stock yards on the east side. While most of the pens were under water Thursday, by last night most of the water had receded and left but little sediment behind.

About three feet of water ran out of the yards during the day. There was some water in the basement offices in the Exchange building at the close of the day. If there is no further rise in the Kaw, the yards expect to be able to handle stock on the east, or main, side Monday. In the Texas division, in Armourdale, the situation is not so good, though everything there, too, it is hoped, will be straightened out inside of a week.

Labels: , , , ,

February 22, 1908


Cross Believes Profits in By-Products.

The Kansas City Livestock exchange is building an experimental crematory at the stock yards for the purpose of determining if, with a large one, disposal can be made of the pen accumulations with profit. The experiment is to be made along lines recommended by Dr. W. M. Cross, city chemist, who believes that the value of the by-products from the refuse, principally ammonia, will more than reimburse the company.

Labels: , ,

December 6, 1907



Nineteen Millions of Deposits Paid Out
Since the Statement of August 22 -
Other Banks Are Not Affected
by the Suspension.

Overwhelmed by a wave of distrust that has been steadily wearing away its resources fro nearly two months, the National Bank of Commerce, the largest bank between St. Louis and San Francisco, suspended business yesterday morning and is in charge of the office of the comptroller of currency.

At 8:30 o'clock yesterday morning, James T. Bradley, national bank examiner,, brought to the bank this notice, copies of which a messenger posted on the windows:
"This bank has been closed by resolution of its board of directors, and is
now in charge of James T. Bradley, national bank examiner, by order of the
Comptroller of the Currency."

Yesterday afternoon Mr. Bradley received a telegram from the comptroller of the currency appointing him receiver. It is probable this appointment is temporary, though this is not known.


In about six weeks the bank has paid off 19 million dollars of its deposits, reduced its loans 3 1/2 millions, cut down its cash resources 11 3/4 millions, and sold 2 millions of high grade bonds, all in the effort to meet the demands upon it. But there has been a continued drain, culminating Wednesday with a clearing house debit balance of nearly $400,000, which the bank was forced to meet. Fearing that yesterday's exactions would be beyond its power to pay the directors decided to give up the fight and let the bank be liquidated.

The directors were in session last night until after midnight and again this morning at 7 o'clock, considering plans for continuing business, but they finally decided that the task was too great.


Inside the bank, when the notice was posted, the air of the office was that of a relaxation after a terrible strain. When a man has struggled to the limit of his capacity, physical or mental, and the end has come, he rarely shows feeling.

W. S. Woods, president of the bank, and W. A. Rule, the cashier, had slept little any night for a week, and they simply let down. W. H. Winants, vice president, worked on answering telephone calls, but he showed more feeling and his voice choked when he talked. The other directors were not to be seen about the bank during the first hour. The real fight had been made by Woods and Rule. It had been desperate. Dr. Woods said he had done his best and did not know how he could do more. He regarded the loss with regret, but did not show evidence of excitement.

Of approximately 16 millions in deposits tied up in the suspension, about 5 millions belongs to Kansas City people. The remaining 11 millions belongs to out of town banks.


The only banks affected by the suspension were the two small branches of the Commerce in the West bottoms, the Stock Yards Bank of Commerce and the Union Avenue Bank of Commerce, and the First State Bank of Argentine. These institutions together had only a few hundred thousand dollars in deposits. The first two did not open yesterday morning. The third closed at noon.

When the news of the suspension became generally known there were some withdrawals from other banks, chiefly by small depositors. These withdrawals, however, were more than compensated for by the new accounts opened. All the banks were in good condition.

Labels: , , , ,

October 24, 1907


Police Board Favors Motor Cycle
Squad of Police.

Commissioner Jones has been delegated by the police board to secure bids on motor cycles with which to equip a squad of police to chase violators of the speed ordinances. The commissioner is a motorist himself, and suggested to the board that the average machine can "run clean away" and leave the sort of motor cycles sold here. He said the board would have to get specially built motor cycles, guaranteed to maintain a high speed.

"It's getting too cold for a policeman to ride a motor cycle," said Commissioner Jones. "I favor a bicycle squad and feel that we must come to it, but I would propose that we postpone it until spring."

C. F. Morse, writing from the stock yards, told the board yesterday that the best streets and boulevards of the city have become like railway rights-of-way. He says that rarely ever does a car go as slow as the maximum of twelve miles an hour. He said in the boulevards cars maintain a minimum of twenty miles, and that most of them travel about forty miles an hour.

"In the south part of town, where the best streets have become speedways," said Mr. Morse, "the blocks are just one eight of a mile long, including one street width. At the maximum speed prescribed it should take a car 37.5 seconds to travel a block. This makes it easy for the police to time those who are daily violating the speed limit and endangering the public."

Labels: , , , , ,

May 15, 1907



Long Brewing Row Among Tenth
Ward Republicans Finally
Reaches Criminal Court--
Prominent Men as Witnesses.

Prosecuting Attorney I. B. Kimbrell, in his opening argument to the jury in the case against William Dannahower, charged with criminal libel, upon the complaint of Homer B. Mann, formerly speaker of the lower house of the city council and treasurer of the Republican county central committee, yesterday afternoon said:

"The state will attempt to prove that the defendant with malicious intent had printeed and circulated hand bills in which the public character and private life of Homer B. Mann was held up to public ridicule and contempt. In these circulars, alleged to have been written by the defendant, Mr. Mann is charged with corruption in public office and immorality in private life. The state wil show that these circulars were sent to many of Mr. Mann's friends in Kansas City and in Washington, and were went to his wife and left in the school yard where his children attended school."

The case promises to last all of this week and to be hard fought. One hundred and thirteen witnesses have been subpoenaed, seventy-four of them by the defense. The state's wintesses, in addition to Homer Mann and his wife, include Congressman E. C. Ellis; Thomas K. Niedringhaus, chairmoan of the Republican state entral committee, and Joseph McCoy, of St. Louis. The fefense has subpoenaed among its list of seventy-four Bernard Corrigan, of the Metropolitan Street Railway Company; C. F. Morse, of the Kansas City Stock Yards Company; Al Heslip, county marshal; Frank C. Peck and Wallace Love.


From the questions asked of the men who tried to qualify as jurors, it can be guessed that teh state is relying upon a conviction along lines of direct evidence, adn that the defense hopes to muddle the case by airing the linen of the Tenth Ward Republican Club. The jurors impaneled were asked by Attorney L. H. Waters, for the defense, whether they were Democrats or Republicans in politics and whether or not they had ever held office or done work for the city or county. Prosecuting Attorney Kimbrell passed over the matter of political affiliations, and tended strictly to seeing that the jury was composed of married men with families. Evidently he intends to bring out stongly the fact that Dannahower is charged with forcing the attention of Mr. Mann's wife and children to the circulars which he is alleged to have written.

"The defense is trying to make Democratic political capital out of this trial," said Clyde Taylor, who is assisting Attorney Kimbrell in the prosecution, "but I don't see what they will gain by it. This is a criminal libel suit and not a political meeting. If they are not careful they will overplay their hand and neglect their client's interests."

The jury which is trying the case coprises: Charles R. Jones, Democrat; J. F. Shortridge, Independent; J. M. Burton, Democrat; I. H. B. Edmondson, Democrat; Albert L. Williams, Democrat; J. H. North, Independent; J. G. White, Democrat; Elmer Dorse, Democrat; W. E. Van Crate, Independent; J. H. Pemberton, Democrat; W. D. Oldham, Democrat, and F. B. Alexander, Republican.

Every juror is married and has children. most of them are business men and own their own homes. There is only one Republican in the twelve. Attorney Kimbrell and Attorney Waters got what they wanted in the character of the jurors and the twelve men were agreed upon after half an hour.


The first witness for the state was Congressman E. C. Ellis. He testified that he had received at his residence in Washington, D. C., last February copies of the circulars signed by Dannahower through the registered mail. Upon cross-examination he admitted that he once was in a buggy with Mr. Mann when Dannahower drove by and the men began quarreling. He admitted that Mann had an open knife in his hand, but denied that Mann had tried to use the knife. He said that very hot words passed between the two men.

J. F. Ewing, of the Gate City Printing and Advertising Company, 1229 Main street, swore taht Mr. Dannahower had placed tow orders for printed circulars with the establishment, got the circulars and paid for them. One order was placed on October 27, 1906, for 10,000 circulars, and one in February, 1907, for 2,000. Dannahower paid the firm $30 for the big order and $6 for the second. The circulars were different. Copies of both were introduced in evidence, as was a copy of the Gate City company's ledger account with Dannahower.

R. F. Jarmon, of 3419 Summit, formerly of Jarmon & Kykes, at 1229 Main, testified that three years ago, during the Kemper-Neff campaign, he had printed several thousand circulars for Dannahower in which Mr. Mann was attacked. His testimony was stricken out on account of the time which had expired, but the court let stand his statement that at the time Dannahower gave the order he said he was "going to keep after Mann until he got him."

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory