Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

September 6, 1908


In His Behalf 20,000 Kansas City
-ans Once Petitioned President.
Was Pardoned From Prison.

It was 9 o'clock sharp last night when Charles Ryan, inspector of detectives, called in his men -- twenty of them -- and ordered them to go out and look for poker games, which the late grand jurors charged a week ago were operating unmolested by the police.

The twenty men went. It was nearly 11 o'clock before they had any luck. Then what they ran upon was really startling. Detectives Robert Phelna, Eugene Sullivan, J. L. Ghent and "Lum" Wilson made their way to 722 East Twelfth street. As they neared the number they said a "lookout" ran up the steps and gave the alarm. Being armed with a warrant the two doors were broken open and Detective Ghent was especially surprised.

There in the midst of six other men stood Charles W. Anderson, alias William January, for whom only a short year ago 20,000 people of this city and vicinity had petitioned President Roosevelt for his release from the federal prison at Leavenworth, Kas. And the petition gained his release, too. That was on July 19, 1907.

Last year, Benjamin T. Barnes, 2345 Southwest boulevard, a harnessmaker and former convict, wrote to Warden William McClaughry that William January, who had escaped from the prison nine years before, was living here under the name of Charles W. Anderson. The arrest followed, and when it was found that January -- for that was his name then -- had been living an exemplary life during his nine years of freedom, and that he had married and had a sweet 3-year-old baby girl, the whole of Western Missouri and Eastern Kansas was aroused. His arrest took place on April 20, 1907, and he was taken to prison the next day. When President Roosevelt received the petition containing 20,000 names, with the information that as many more could easily be added, he set July 19 as the day when William January, then living at 1117 Holmes street, should be free.

When January came out he applied to the courts and soon had his name changed to Charles W. Anderson, as that was the name he assumed when he escaped from prison. Every hand in Kansas City was outstretched to aid the long-suffering man just out of stripes. He chose to open a restaurant on East Twelfth street, however, after being interested in a pool hall.

Last night when the detectives followed the lookout to the second floor, after breaking in two doors they got Anderson and six other men. They also got a round table, cards and chips. At the station no one would admit that he was gamekeeper. Sergeant Patrick Clark said: "Then I will hold you all under $51 cash bond each until I find out who was running this place."

The men were lined up to give their names. Anderson gave the name of John W. Smith just as a young player in answer to a question said, "Me? Oh, I got my chips from Anderson there."

Anderson was then informed that his bond would be $51 and the others $16 each. The former gave his at once and, after a short talk, with the men, who were consigned to the holdover, made his exit.

The game at 722 East Twelfth street was the only one bothered by the police last night. It is said that there are others.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

August 30, 1908



May Have Been Aided, Is the Belief
of the Police, -- Good
Description Is

All the Western states are being flooded with cards containing a picture and full description of Ira Earl Hamilton, a deserter from the United States army, suspected of the murder here of George W. Pickle, a 17-year-old boy, June 20.

Hamilton is 28 years old, 5 feet 10 1/2 inches tall, and weighs 155 or 160 pounds. He has dark brown hair, blue eyes and fair complexion. A distinctive feature in identifying him would be his slightly stooped position when walking. His neck is slightly "duked," and to add to the intensity of the stooped position, he has an unusually broad and long chin.

As soon as Detectives J. L. Ghent and "Lum" Wilson were put on the case, July 4, they arrested Hamilton. He remained in jail here ten days, but had to be released because the body of Pickle had not at that time been found. He was turned over to the military authorities at Ft. Leavenworth as a deserter and succeeded in making his escape from there in about two weeks.

While in the prison there Hamilton wrote to his aunt, Mrs. Lizzie Brownell, 103 West Fourteenth street, and upbraided her for making a statement in the Pickle case which was clearly against him. His letters, two of them, were threatening and he stated in one of them: "Remember this -- I can get away from this place any day I want to. The police have reason to believe that he was aided in his escape. It was Mrs. Brownell's aged mother who recently identified the piece of iron pipe found near where Pickle's body was discovered as having once been the property of Hamilton. He was a structural iron worker, and she said she saw it in his tool chest.

Labels: , , , ,

May 7, 1908


George Elliott and Tillie Bullene
Were Arrested Only Saturday.

Arrested last Saturday for counterfeiting, George Elliott and Tillie Bullene were started to the federal prison at Fort Leavenworth yesterday afternoon, the man to do hard labor for two and a half years and pay a fine of $5,000, and the woman to undergo eighteen months at hard labor and to pay a fine of $2,500. Both prisoners pleaded guilty and threw themselves on the mercy of the court. At 511 Locust street, where the prisoners had been caught, a complete counterfeiting outfit was captured, together with sity-five bogus dollars and enough material on hand to make many more. Assistant District Attorney Leslie J. Lyons prosecuted the case.

Labels: , , , ,

November 8, 1907


Judge Wallace Reduced a Sentence, but
Will Grant No Paroles.

In the criminal court yesterday, H. O. McClung asked Judge Wallace to reduce the charge agaisnt him from forgery in the second degree to the third degree and allow him to make a plea of guilty.

"Yes, I will make you a present of three years out of the penitentiary by reducing the charge," Judge Wallace said. "That will make it only two years in prison and that's your sentence. Don't come back again and ask for parole, however, because I won't give it to you. There is an epidemic of forgery in this community. It seems that many persons think all they have to do when they need ten or twenty dollars is to go and forge a name to a check and cash it. That must stop. I am going to bear down on the crime of forgery. You have come in and held up your hands and said you are guilty. The man who bows to the law and gives up deserves some leniency, butbut he who defies the law may expect no compassion from this court."

Labels: , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory