Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

February 4, 1910


Hippodrome Will Have Theater Large
Enough for Traveling Shows.

Extensive improvements will be made at the Hippodrome, beginning next Monday, and to be completed in ten days. The picture theater in the southwest corner of the building and the Vienna garden immediately south will be thrown into one theater, with a stage as large as any in the city, with possibly one or two exceptions. The theater will seat 1,200 people and will be the permanent home of traveling attractions, such as big vaudeville shows, Yiddish companies and theatrical attractions of all kinds. The marked success of the recent Yiddish productions was a demand for a regular theater in that part of the city, as Twelfth and Charlotte is in the center of a populous neighborhood and is ten blocks from the downtown theater district.

The Hippodrome theater will be ready within ten days.

Labels: , , , , ,

January 26, 1910


Girl's Damage Suit to Federal Court,
As Owner Is Non-Resident.

Complications in the damage suit brought by Ella May Cushman against the Hippodrome Amusement Company and C. W. Parker of Abilene, Kas., resulted yesterday in the transferring of the case from Judge Slover's division of the circuit court to the federal court. The girl asks damages in the sum of $10,000 for injuries received, it is alleged, when a lion at the Hippodrome, two years ago, reached through the bars of its cage and clawed the girl's head.

After the plaintiff had completed her evidence yesterday the Hippodrome company showed that the lion was owned by Parker, who has a herd of wild animals which he exhibited, and on the showing the liability of the company was removed. Parker then had the case transferred to the federal court on the ground that he is not a resident of Missouri.

Labels: , , , , ,

January 23, 1910


First Playhouse of This Character
to Be Opened Here Tonight.

Kansas City's first Yiddish theater will be opened tonight in the Hippodrome annex, Twelfth and Charlotte streets. Manager Jacobs has fitted up a snug home for Yiddish drama here, the annex being cut off entirely from the Hippodrome proper by an outside entrance, though there is, of course, an entrance from the inside as well. M. B. Samuylow, who was seen here at the Shubert this season, will head a strong Yiddish company playing "Kol Nidre," a four-act opera with book by Charansky and music by Friedsel. Other Yiddish companies will be seen here from time to time and it is hoped to make the Hippodrome Annex theater the home of permanent Yiddish attractions, as there is a large clientele from which to draw.

Labels: , , , , ,

January 15, 1910


Finding Matching Nose Was
the Problem.

Another novelty entertainment was given at the Hippodrome last night in the form of a nose party. False noses in pairs were given out to all skaters, one of each pair to men and women. The problem was for the man to find the wearer of the temporary nose matching the nose worn by him. This feature provoked unlimited fun and the evening was spent skating after the grand march had been negotiated by the nose-matched pairs.

Labels: , ,

December 12, 1909


Frank Lewis Tried to Pet Bruno at

A young man walked into No. 4 police station at 11 o'clock last night and asked that one of his hands be given medical attention. While taking in the sights at the Hippodrome in the earlier part of the night he had tried to pet a tame bear which is kept in a cage near the entrance of the Hippodrome. The bear closed down one of his hands and left several deep impressions with its sharp teeth.

The patient gave his name as Frank Lewis, 1617 Genesee street, and said that he was a salesman for Mitchell & Rouse, a commission company at the stock yards. He was attended by Dr. F. A. Hamilton and sent home.

Labels: , , , , ,

November 19, 1909


Former Bloomer Girl Will Be Buried
in Potter's Field.

Miss Daisy Hoover, for ten years a professional baseball player, died destitute in the city hospital November 11 and was be buried in the potter's field yesterday.

Miss Hoover was for several years second baseman on the Boston Bloomer Girls, but for the past two seasons had been playing in the East with the Star Bloomers, making her home during the winter in Kansas City. Last winter she had charge of one of the concessions in the Hippodrome. She returned to Kansas City about a month ago and three days later was taken sick and wsent to the hospital. She is survived by a sister, Mrs. George Johnson, Navarre, Ohio.

Claud East, manager of the cafe at 307 East Twelfth street, formerly manager of the Boston Bloomer Girls, says that Miss Hoover was one of the best women ball players that ever threw a ball.

Labels: , , , , ,

November 11, 1909


Hippodrome Bell Fell Just As It Was
About to Be Rung.

"Curfew will not ring tonight: for the boys and girls at the Hippodrome, for the simplest of reasons. A very prosaic thing happened Tuesday night. The bell simply fell crashing to the floor as Officer Tom Davis was about to sound the first warning notes that send the "kiddies" scampering to their homes. Incidentally Manager Yancy of the skating rink had a narrow and sure enough escape -- not of the press-agent sort at all. As the net result of the whole affair, the boys and girls got to stay a few minutes longer than usual, but for the next few nights Officer Davis will blow a whistle at the appointed time. The bell will be doing business at the old stand by Sunday.

Labels: ,

November 9, 1909


Packy Gains Ten-Round De-
cision Over Thompson.

The landing of five clean blows to his opponent's one, and outpointing him from the tap of the gong to the final ring, Packy McFarland, the Chicago stockyards wonder, gained a decision over Johnny Thompson, the Sycamore "Cyclone," at the Hippodrome last night, after the fastest and most grueling ten-round fight that has been staged in the West in years. Joe Coffey of Chicago was the referee and his decision was perfect.

Throughout the fight Thompson did a great deal of the agressive work, but his swings went wide of their mark on many occasions, due to the wonderful generalship, ducking the clever boxing of the stockyards boy. McFarland's backing away from Thompson most of the time and his hanging on at times counted against him in the decision, but he was so far ahead at the close of the battle on points that there was not a chance for a draw. Had many of the numerous swings Thompson started ever landed on dangerous places McFarland might have been lying on the mat for the fatal ten, but he dodged all but one or two of the hard punches the "Cyclone" tried to put over. On the other hand Packy landed jabs in rapid succession and pushed over some hard punches that stopped many of the wild rushes of Thompson. Thompson's blocking of blows was at times perfect and he should be given credit for putting up a good fight against his cleverer opponent.


The crowd which attended this bout numbered about 5,000 people and the doors were closed some time before the fight started as the hall was crowded to overflowing and it was impossible to put any more fans in the big hall where they could see the fight. It was the first of the winter smokers to be given by the Empire Athletic Club and was a decided success in every way. The crowd was handled in a skillful manner and there was not a word of complaint from anyone, except the usual few who wish to complain about the decision. It was the unanimous opinion of experts at the ringside that the decision of Joe Coffey, who is recognized as one of the best referees in the West, was correct.

When the fighters entered the ring Thompson wore a smile of confidence and believed he was sure to knock Packy out before the close of the fight. He had never had the gloves on with the Chicago Irishman before and he had evidently underestimated the speed of the winner. McFarland also wore a smile but at times looked a little bit worried as though studying his opponent. For two years these boys have been wrangling through the papers about fighting, each claiming the other was afraid. This bout was to settle this long argument. It has settled it. McFarland won and with the victory goes the biggest share of the local purse, about twenty weeks of theatrical work and the chance to make Battling Nelson fight him for the world's lightweight championship or back down. It is now up to Nelson, as McFarland removed in the bout last night the last obstruction in his pathway to a fight with the champion Dane.


The only blood drawn on McFarland was a cut over his left eye. This was an old wound and was opened up in the seventh round when Thompson landed a hard right in that vicinity. the cut was about an inch long and was sewed up after the battle. Thompson was marked about the head as the result of the numerous punches landed there and his mouth bled a little.

From the tap of the gong opening this battle Thompson began to bore in and he followed McFarland about the ring constantly waiting for an opening to land a knockout punch, which never came. He swung wild in the first round and in every round after that, but many times landed punches with telling effect. But once or twice during the fight did McFarland swing wild. Other times his punches and jabs went right to their mark and several times he rocked the head of his opponent with wicked jabs to the jaw. Thompson landed several wind and stomach punches which were effective, but McFarland blocked cleverly and the "Cyclone" could not land one that would put him out. Thompson's left shoulder, which he kept in Packy's way most oft he time and his clever blocking and ducking also stopped many of the stock yards boy's punches, but Packy so far outclassed his opponent in cleverness that Thompson had a chance to win without a knockout.

At the close of the battle Thompson walked slowly to his corner, and, although tired he did not seem to be in bad shape. McFarland was a little tired but was in shape to continue the fight, and was in just as good fighting trim at the close as his opponent. It was a great battle and the best boy won..

What these boys would do in a twenty-round battle no one can tell, but in ten rounds of such fighting as they put up last night -- and it was a fast battle from start to finish -- there was no question about the winner.

Labels: , ,

October 18, 1909


Top Notch Lightweights May
Fight Here Nov. 1.

Packy McFarland and "Cyclone" Johnny Thompson will probably be matched for a ten round bout in this city November 1. The Empire Athletic Club has made arrangements to rent the Hippodrome for that night for the purpose of holding a boxing contest and the two fighters mentioned are the ones the club has been trying to bring here for more than a month.

When McFarland and Thompson were last seen in regard to fighting in Kansas City they stated that they must have two weeks in which to train. They were notified last night that the date of November 1 has been made for the match and were asked to sign the articles of agreement. If the fighters are in earnest there will be no trouble in pulling off the bout. McFarland and Thompson have been anxious to fight for the last two years but have never been given the proper inducements. One has always claimed the other was afraid but it looks as though they will have to show themselves now that the Empire Club has the match practically cinched and unless one shows the white feather they will fight here on the date mentioned. McFarland and Thompson have been in light training in Chicago, expecting this match to be made. They will post a forfeit of $500 each, which may go as a side bet. If this bout is staged here it will be the best offering local followers of the roped arena have had in several years. These fighters are in the top notch class.

Matchmaker Cass Welsh went to St. Louis last night and will return to this city Tuesday. It is expected that the match will be definitely settled by that time.

Labels: , ,

October 1, 1909


Every Night the Bell Will Sound
at 10 for the Youngsters.

At the Hippodrome next Sunday night Kansas City's only curfew bell will ring for the first time. The Hippodrome's curfew will ring promptly at 10 o'clock and each night thereafter at the very same hour and when it does every boy and girl under the age of 16 years must leave for home. The "skidoo rule" will be imperative.

"The Hippodrome management is acting in self-defense," says its press agent. "It has been brought to the attention of the management that quite a number of Kansas City's young folk who stay out too late at night have a habit of blaming on the Hippodrome. The Hip pleads not guilty, but heretofore it has not been possible to make its plea effective. Angry parents have murmured something on the order of 'Tell it to the marines,' etc. The curfew bell is to solve the problem. When it rings every boy and girl under the age of 16 must start for home, they must leave the Hippodrome, anyhow. If they don't, they will be asked to leave, then if they hesitate, the Hippodrome's guardian of the peace and enforcer of law and order will make his order compulsory."

The big bell is now being installed, and the initial curfew is scheduled for the Sabbath.

Labels: ,

September 26, 1909


East Side Place of Amusement Opens
for the Season.

The Hippodrome, at Twelfth and Charlotte streets, opened for the season last night and nearly 5,000 persons attended, the roller skating rink and the dance hall, both remodeled and redecorated, drawing the most patronage. Last night's visitors saw a brand new Hippodrome. There was a greater floor space, better illumination and a bigger variety of attractions than ever before. The new ball room, which has been latticed and banked with satin roses and artificial shrubbery, aroused the admiration of the Hippodrome dancers.

Last night's visitors found plenty outside the dance hall and the skating rink to interest them. There was the Vienna garden, a new permanent feature, which seems destined to meet with favor. Free continuous vaudeville is offered in the Vienna village, which is laid with tanbark and inclosed by lattice work. Elston's dog and pony show was another new attraction that offered many novelties.

The Great La Salle, one of the most daring of roller skate experts, was the big arena attraction last night. La Salle makes a thrilling descent on a 60 per cent incline from the roof of the Hippodrome, and his exhibition belongs in the division of hair raisers.

Numerous concessions along the Hippodrome "Boardwalk" offer plenty of diversion. The place will open this afternoon at 2 o'clock and the performance will be continuous until midnight.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

June 12, 1909



Wolgast Was Floored in Second
Round and Did Not Have Pep-
pers in a Bad Way Until
the Ninth.
Boxing Match Between Teddy Peppers and Ad Wolgast at the Hippodrome.


With a terrific left hook to the wind Ad Wolgast, the Milwaukee featherweight of champion caliber, knocked out Teddy Peppers of Kansas City within thirty seconds of the final gong in their scheduled ten-round bout at the Hippodrome before the Empire Athletic Club last night. Peppers took a great deal of punishment before he went down for the final count but he was so completely exhausted when the fatal blow was struck that he was unable to regain his feet. The bout was rough and both men played for the stomach most of the time. Peppers was not as rough as his opponent, whose habit of butting with his head was hissed repeatedly.

It was a slashing go from the mit shake to the final gong and a nip and tuck fight right up to the final two rounds, when Wolgast took the lead and had the advantage from the beginning of the ninth to the knockout. In every round peppers laid for a chance to knock the champion, as he is termed, out, but he failed to land the punch which would put Wolgast away. He floored him with a left hook to the stomach in the second, but Wolgast soon rose to his feet and was not compelled to hear the counting after that blow was struck. Twice Peppers was down for the count, the first time he took seven, which gave him time to regain his wind and the last time was unable to regain his feet.

Peppers surprised many of his followers at the ringside by his ability to take punishment. Wolgast landed on the local boy's head and body many times during every round but the punches did not seem to worry the Greek demon until near the close of the fight. At the close Peppers's left eye was in bad shape and he was bleeding freely at the mouth and nose. The wind punches were what really put Peppers away. Peppers had but one week to train for the bout and for this reason was not in as good condition as his opponent, which might have made considerable difference in the outcome.

When the bout opened Peppers and Wolgast both worked slow, evidently feeling each other out. There were a few jabs landed in the first round but they didn't count. As the gong clanged in the second round Peppers rushed Wolgast to the ropes and they fell over. They met in the center of the ring again and Peppers floored the Milwaukee boy with a left hook to the wind. Two minutes of the round had passed at the time. He came after Ad fast and rushed him to the ropes again, both falling over. It was Peppers's round.

As the third round opened Walgast was fighting fast and had been advised by his manager, T. E. Jones, who was in his corner, to put the local florist out. Peppers cleverly ducked the rushes of the Milwaukee boy and the fans yelled for Peppers. Teddy seemed to have the better of the argument up to this time. The boys exchanged blows twice during the round and Peppers was apparently as fresh as when he started the fight.

The fourth found them fighting along different lines. Wolgast rushed in fast and sent a volley of short jabs to the wind. Peppers did not seem to mind them and retaliated with two left hooks to the head. They sparred for a minute and Peppers rushed Wolgast to the ropes as the round closed.


Wolgast rushed at Peppers with a determination to end the bout in the opening of the fifth round but he was unable to finish the florist. He rushed Peppers to the ropes and they fell over them. Wolgast then butted Peppers with his head, which sees to be his habit and he was not cautioned. This was the roughest piece of work in the fight. They wrestled about the ring and fell. Wolgast sent a left to the wind and again they fell over the ropes. That was the roughest round of the fight.

Wolgast Rushing Teddy Peppers.

Peppers sent a left and right to the jaw as they opened in the sixth, and they clinched. Both men swung wild and Wolgast missed some wild swings and then sent in a couple of counters to the head and body. Wolgast was butting Peppers with his head as the round closed. In the seventh Wolgast again went after Peppers to win, and sent several body blows in, but Peppers came back with a left to the wind. Wolgast landed a right on the head and they clinched and exchanged blows. They then clinched and wrestled to the ropes, where Peppers threw Wolgast over to the uncovered boards.

Wolgast sent a right to the wind as the eighth opened, and Peppers landed a left on the jaw. They clinched and Teddy landed a left on the jaw. They exchanged body blows in a clinch and Wolgast sent a left to the wind which hurt Peppers. They exchanged body blows at the close.

Wolgast sent two blows to the wind as the eighth opened, and Peppers came back with a left in the same place in the ninth. Wolgast then played for the head and sent a volley of lefts and rights to the jaw, the last one being a left to the jaw. This sent Peppers down for seven counts. They clinched as he arose and the round soon ended.
Free Bath Near the Corners of the Ring.

Peppers sent a left to the jaw and followed with a left to the wind as the final round opened. They clinched and exchanged blows.

Wolgast threw Peppers down after a wrestle and then they clinched and exchanged blows. Peppers was weak and Wolgast hit him several times on the head, following with a left to the wind which was the fatal blow. Peppers was unable to stay in the final thirty seconds.

Labels: , ,

March 24, 1909


Clacie Claunch Has Not Been Home
Since Sunday Morning.

The police are looking for Clacie Claunch, 15 years old, who disappeared from her home at 3324 East Eighteenth street Sunday morning. She wore a red skirt, light waist, light striped jacket and long brown leather gloves. Her hair and eyes are brown. She had intended to go to the Hippodrome when she left home.

Arthur Gladstone, 2452 Woodland avenue, reported to the police that his wife has been missing for several days. She is 24 years old, wieghs 120 pounds and wore a blue suit.

Labels: , , ,

March 22, 1909



Husband Declares Reform School
Was Suggested as Place for
Girl -- Tells Story of
Marital Troubles.

Charles Hunter, 19 years old, who shot and dangerously injured his wife, Myrtle Hunter, Friday morning, yesterday told visitors of the trouble that led up to his crime, and which is causing his detention at police headquarters. He said he loved his wife, but her waywardness caused the trouble.

When the boy and his child wife were married by Michael Ross, J. P., the mothers went to the court house with them to give consent. The girl's mother called at police headquarters yesterday afternoon to see Hunter. She told him she was still his friend and would do all she could for him.

"Even if Myrtle dies, Charles, we won't blame you," the prisoner was told.

The reform school was suggested by Mrs. Scanlon as the best place for the girl wife. Hunter informed a visitor yesterday. But he said he loved her and wanted to keep her at home if possible.


She left home one day and the mother announced her intention of having the police find the girl and sending her to reform school according to the story Hunter tells. Instead he asked her to wait and allow him to give her another trial. Hunter promised to find her and keep her at home.

After four days' search he declares he found her at a house on East Eighth street in company with another young woman and two men. While Hunter was in the room a rambler placed his arm around his wife and caressed her, which made him frantic with shame and anger. From there he took his wife home and she promised him she would remain away from her former haunts.

Then he says a clerk in a clothing store began to pay her attentions. Hunter said this clerk went to the Scanlon home last Thursday and asked for Myrtle. He made a second trip to the house in the afternoon. Mrs. Hunter opened the door, but refused to allow him to come in. Hunter said he was at the head of the stairs on the second floor and upon asking who the visitor was started down. The man left and his wife and Mrs. Scanlon prevented Hunter from following him.


From the trials he had with his endeavors to keep his wife at home and the attempts by the clerk to take her away, Hunter claims that he was made desperate and driven mad. The climax was reached Wednesday night when the man is said to have collected a gang and announced his intention of going to the Hippodrome and going home with Mrs. Hunter.

Hunter and his wife were standing near the skating rink when the persistent admirer came up and spoke to the wife. She tried to avoid him and when she was unable to do so Hunter says he objected.

"I'll take her home if you have to go home in the undertaker's wagon," Hunter said he was told.

According to Hunter, his uncle, Claude Rider, 1728 Troost avenue, stepped up and said he was going to take a hand in the affair. As his uncle came up Hunter declares friends grabbed him and took him across the street while the other men fought. The police arrested them and took them to No. 4 police station where they were charged with disturbing the peace.

"I believe my mother-in-law was trying to arrange to send Myrtle to the reform school when I shot her," Hunter remarked.

He said he got the pistol at the Scanlon house and that it belonged to his wife's father. The condition of Mrs. Hunter was worse yesterday, but it was said that she still has a chance to recover.

Of late years Hunter has been following the skating rinks and in the summer has had charge of the rink at Fairmount park. At one time Hunter was an office boy for an afternoon newspaper and later became an advertising solicitor.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

March 20, 1909



Madly Jealous Because She Went
With Another man, Charles
Hunter Wounds Wife at
Parents' Home.

The short wedded life of Charles Hunter, 19 years old, and his wife, Myrtle Hunter, 17 years old, came to a probably tragic end yesterday morning when in a quarrel, the boy-husband shot his wife with a derringer at the home of her parents, 1713 Madison avenue.

Mrs. Hunter lies at the general hospital, where the physicians say she will not live until morning. The husband gave himself up yesterday afternoon to the police, and is in the matron's room at police headquarters where he will not make a statement to the prosecuting attorney.

No one was at the home of the girl's parents except the young couple. They had been married since Christmas, but had not lived together for several months. On several occasions Hunter had visited his wife, but on each occasion the interview generally ended in a quarrel. About 11 o'clock yesterday morning, neighbors heard a shot, and a moment later Mrs. Hunter rushed out of the house and ran to the home of Mrs. Emma Hodder, 1715 Madison avenue. The front of her kimono was covered with blood.


"He shot me," she gasped, and sank to the floor. She carried the derringer in her hands. The Walnut street police ambulance was called, and after giving her emergency treatment, Dr. Ralph A. Shiras took her to the general hospital.

In the meantime Hunter rushed out of the house into the alley, and it was three hours before the police were able to locate him. At last Albert F. Drake, an attorney with offices in the Scarritt building, called police headquarters and said Charles Hunter was ready to give himself up. Charles McVey, desk sergeant, took Hunter from the Scarritt building to police headquarters. In the chief's office he was questioned by an assistant prosecuting attorney, but would sign no statement.


"We haven't' been happy since our marriage," Hunter said later as he sat in a cell in the matron's room. His hands were folded across his breast, and he looked the picture of despair. He is small and looks a mere boy. "She has been going with other fellows," he continued, "and last Wednesday I saw her with someone. That made it more than I could bear. Last night I called on her and we quarreled. When we parted I walked the streets until morning, and in a sort of a trance I went back this morning.

"I don't know how I came to shoot her. I do know that I had a derringer, and that I must have aimed it at her. As soon as I shot I clasped her in my arms and then ran out.

I went down the street a short distance and then determined to go back. I backed out and then walked downtown. I went to Mr. Drake's office, who laughed when I told him that I had shot someone."


At the general hospital the youthful wife laid the blame on her husband.

"I'm going to die," she said faintly about the middle of the afternoon, "but I don't care very much. Charley and I have never been happy. He called this morning and commenced to quarrel. Suddenly he pulled out a pistol and shot me.

" 'Tell them that you did it,' he whispered as he took me in his arms and rushed out doors."

Mrs. Frank Scanlon, the mother of the girl, says that Hunter entered the house after she had left in the morning. She said that he had often threatened Myrtle, and that she was afraid to leave alone.

"I felt like something was going to happen when I left this morning," she said.

Hunter has been employed at the Hippodrome at odd times. He lives with an uncle, Claude Rider, at 1728 Troost avenue.

At the general hospital last night, the youthful wife lay on one of the beds in the surgical ward. She was suffering intense pain but still retained all of her faculties.

"Did they get Charley?" she asked. "Well I'm glad they did for he meant to shoot me."

Mrs. Scanlon, the girl's mother, was at her bedside all night.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

February 17, 1909



Cruel Treatment Alleged in Affida-
vits Read Before Council -- Com-
mittee Is Appointed to
Sift Complaints.

The lower house on the council last night named Alderman W. P. Woolf, C. J. Gilman and J. G. Lapp to a committee to investigate charges of inhumane treatment towards patients at the new general hospital.

The investigation was made upon the request of Alderman Darious Brown, who read a number of affidavits said to have been signed by patients.

Alderman Miles Bulger openly asserted that the move was a political one to embarrass the administration.

"I do not believe that Alderman Brown is any more sincere in this than he has been with his moves for a gas pressure regulation," declared Bulger.

Alderman brown denied with emphasis the charge of insincerity in wanting the alleged cruelties investigated. He added that it was impossible for him to believe that the prominent men comprising the health and hospital board would want such aspersions cast upon their management of the institution without having to falsity or correctness of them established.


Affidavits outlining complaints of patients who claimed to have been abused were read by Mr. Brown.

F. A. Wolf, 4237 Tracy, was taken to the hospital December 1, he affirmed, suffering from a nervous complaint, but declares the house physicians said he had a hernia and should be operated on. He says he fought being taken to the operating room and succeeded in escaping an operation until his wife could be communicated with. She called Dr. Charles E. Allen, the family physician, and Wolf was removed to Wesley hospital.

Wolf charges cruelty to other patients, declaring he had seen a patient whipped with a leather strap for asking for something to eat after regular meal hours, and had seen a man suffering from pneumonia die after being forced into a tub filled with cold water.


Wolf claims to be a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, and a local lodge of the order is supporting him in his charges.

Frank E. Jefferson made affidavit that on October 22 he underwent an operation at the hospital, and the incision was not dressed until the 25th. Later he was moved to Hahneman Medical college.

Arthur Slim, a brick layer, declared that while he was in the hospital with an ulcerated leg and suffering much pain, a doctor ordered him to the kitchen to work. He replied "that if he had to work, he might as well be laying brick."


Then the doctor repeated his order that Slim must either work in the kitchen or leave. Slim says he left, and limped to the emergency hospital and asked they physicians there to dress his sore leg. They refused, he avers, because he had left the general hospital.

Then Slim went to the University hospital, where his leg was dressed, and he was ordered back to the general hospital.

"December 23 I went back to the hospital," claims Slim, "and when the doctor saw me, he told others he would 'fix' me. He poured a quart bottle of acid over my sore leg."


Signor Friscoe was a trapeze performer. He swears that on January 16, 1909, he fell from a trapeze at the Hippodrome, breaking five ribs and paralyzing his lower limbs. He complains that he was roughly handled both in the ambulance and at the hospital, and that when he asked to be allowed to communicate with the Benevolent Order of Eagles, of which he is a member, his request was denied. Finally, he got into communication with officials of the Kansas City aerie, and was removed to another hospital.

W. O. Cardwell asserts that Walter Gessley died at the hospital, and that a doctor refused to state the cause of death or furnish a death certificate until he was paid $2.

An attack on the hospital management came up in a different form in the upper house of the council. The board asked for authority to spend $5,000 for surgical instruments, an X-ray machine and fitting up a laboratory.


Dr. J. Park Neal, house surgeon at the general hospital, said last night:

"Neither I nor any member of the hospital staff care to deny the charges made against the hospital. We simply ignore them. They are too absurd to make a denial necessary."

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

January 17, 1909


Trapeze Performer Injured Last
Night Before Large Audience.

While doing his "swing of death" at the Hippodrome about 10 o'clock last night, Senor Frisco fell from his trapeze to the floor of the skating rink fourteen feet below. He was taken in an unconscious condition to the general hospital where it was found that his spine was either dislocated or severely wrenched and his knees bruised. The injuries are not fatal.

Senor Frisco's act is what is known as the "giant swing" with his feet instead of his hands on the bar. Metal attachments in the soles of his shoes fit in a narrow groove in the steel bar of the trapeze. At the center of the bar, the groove is wide so that he can insert the attachment and then maintain his hold by keeping his feet spread apart.

This last he failed to do for some reason last night, and as his feet came together his body was suddenly released and hurled to the floor at the end of the first revolution. His wife was in the large crowd and saw the accident, and she was nearly overcome. The performer is said to have had a presentiment that something untoward would happen.

Labels: , ,

January 16, 1909


She Asks $5,000 Damages From the
Hippodrome Management.

Ella May Cushman went to the Hippodrome December 26. She is about 16 and she liked the looks of the lions. She alleges, in her petition for $5,000 damages filed yesterday in the circuit court, that the cages of two lions were in such condition that the kings of beasts reached out and clawed her face and tore out her hair. In suing the Hippodrome Amusement Company and Charles W. Parker, she says they were to blame for the insecurity of the cages. George B. Cushman, her father, brought the suit for the child, who says she will be permanently disfigured.

Labels: , , , , ,

January 11, 1909


Australian Trick Skater Repla-
ces Vontella and Nina.

Owing to the fact that Vontella and Nina, who were to appear at the Hippodrome this week, were called away at the last moment, the management secured for a free attraction Hector De Silvia, the champion trick and fancy skater of Australia. De Silvia accomplishes all the tricks that the skating devotees are used to seeing and then goes them one or two better and introduces several of his own origination.

De Silvia will introduce his coast of death at tonight's performance. In this act De Silvia coasts from the top of the auditorium blindfolded, on the toe rollers of one skate.

As an additional attraction, Signor Frisco, a Mexican aerial performer, does some very clever work.

In the wild animal show, Captain Cardona introduces a new leopard act. Ricardo has staged one of the new acts in which he uses pumas and leopards. Miss La Rose continues with her lions, and is this week working all six of the beasts in the arena at the same time. Professor Snyder continues with the Rocky mountain goats, and "Hess," the wrestling bear, is meeting all comers. The management has offered $10 to any one who will throw the shaggy grappler.

In the vaudeville theater, illustrated songs, music and motion photography make up the bill.

Labels: , , , , ,

December 20, 1908


Everything Now in Fine Running
Order at the Hippodrome.

Every attraction at the Hippodrome, Twelfth and Charlotte streets, was thrown open to the public last night for the first time since the accident nearly a month ago, when a portion of the roof fell in while workmen were engaged in remodeling the building. At the time of the accident, Kansas City's winter park, as the Hippodrome has sometimes been called, had been running only about one week and its patrons were just beginning to appreciate the attractions offered. The opening last night, when hundreds of people crowded the large building, was but an evidence of what the public think of the entertainment offered.

The Hippodrome offers to Kansas City amusement seekers just about every form of entertainment usually found at the summer parks and has the advantage of having all the various forms under roof and in a building well heated and ventilated. The wild animal show, one of the attractions which has been open from the very first, continues to be one of the principal drawing cards and divides favors with the vaudeville performances and skating rink. The Ferris wheel, crazy house, Japanese balls, shooting gallery and dance hall are also well patronized.

That portion of the roof which was damaged by accident has been repaired in a most substantial manner and has been pronounced perfectly safe by the building inspectors and fire department. The Hippodrome will be open for business every day and night.

Labels: , , , ,

November 29, 1908


One of the Beasts Chewed Captain
Cardova's Thumb.

It was a pure exhibition of nerve and headwork that probably saved the life of Captain Cardova at the Hippodrome last night when one of the trained lionesses attacked him and almost severed the thumb on his right hand. Few in the audience who were witnessing the act given by Cardova and his trained lions really knew what had happened, for he had the nerve to finish the acat and remained in the cage fully five minutes after the lioness had tasted of his blood and was acting ugly all the time. After he got out of the cage a physician was called and the wounded hand was dressed so that he could continue with his performances through the evening.

The lioness has two young cubs and has been vicious for some time. The attack was made while Cardova was giving that part of the act in which he eats at a table with three lions. He was feeding the raw meat to his animals when the lioness seized him and held his hand in her teeth for fully a minute. The trainer exhibited no fear, nor did he cry out although the pain was severe. The other lions did not attack him.

Labels: , , ,

September 7, 1908


New Amusement Planned for
Twelfth and Charlotte.

Within a few weeks Kansas City will be in possession of a real hippodrome. Already the spacious car barns of the Metropolitan company, at Twelfth and Charlotte streets, have been leased for the purpose, and from now until the building will have been transformed into a wonderland of beauty hundreds of workmen will be employed.

The Hippodrome Amusement Company, with T. J. Cannon at its head, is responsible for this innovation in Kansas City's amusements. Mr. Cannon for several years was connected with the New York hippodrome and Luna park at Coney Island.

Having a floor space of 96,000 feet, the old car barns afford ample room for the project. The roof will be torn off and raised eight feet, making it sufficiently high for the performance of aerial acts. The gallery will have a seating capacity of 7,200, and the whole interior of the hall will be brilliantly lighted with arc and incandescent lights.

The interior of the building will be arranged so as to resemble a mammoth midway, most of the concessions having their entrances and exits from it. It is the intention to bring one of the largest herds of trained elephants in the country here, all of which will be seen in Elephant Path, and can be ridden for a small consideration.

Among the numerous amusement devices will be an aquarium, zoo, and animal sh ow, the latter two being received from the best specimens in the Bostock animal shows. There will be the famous razzle dazzle from Luna park, Coney Island, the second of its kind to be erected in this country, while one end of the building will be devoted to the gondola, an amusement device said to be the thriller of them all.

In conjunction with the concessions there will be two free exhibitions of some sort each week, and it is said to be the intention to spare no expense to procure the very best obtainable. These acts will include the famous automobile thrillers of circuses now on the road, high wire acts, dare devil bicycle acts and others.

Labels: , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

The Son of Jesse James is Accused of a Train Robbery at Leeds ... Can he get a fair trial in Kansas City?
The Trial of Jesse James, Jr.

>>More KC Books<<

As an Amazon Associate this site may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory