Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

January 9, 1910


Mrs. Elizabeth Tobener, Widow of
Henry Tobener, Is Dead.

Mrs. Elizabeth Tobener, 73 years old, the widow of Henry Tobener, who operated a plug tobacco factory at Fifteenth street and Grand avenue for thirty three years, died late Friday night at her home, 2826 Woodland avenue, of acute pneumonia. She was born in Germany and had lived in Kansas City fifty years.

Mrs. Tobener is survived by four sons, Robert H., Frank W., William C. and Edward F. Tobener, and two daughters, Mrs. Dr. B. W. Lindberg and Mrs. Edward Oberholz. Burial will be in the family vault at Elmwood cemetery. The details of the funeral had not been made last night.

Labels: , , , ,

December 15, 1909


Wife Suing for Divorce Has No Place
for Husband's Brother.

Mrs. Pauline Bovee is to have temporary custody of her two little girls. Judge J. G. Park of the circuit court yesterday awarded the mother the temporary custody of Lorena Bovee, aged 10 years, and Med Bovee, aged 8. The children are not to be taken from the county.

Albert W. Fischer, a brother-in-law, is restrained from going to the woman's home, 2513 Woodland avenue. The court ordered that he remove his clothing and piano immediately.

Mrs. Bovee is allowed $45 a month as temporary alimony and $200 attorney fee. Permanent custody of the children will be decided when the divorce suit brought by Mrs. Bovee against Wayland Bovee is finally settled.

Labels: , , , , ,

November 18, 1909


Fireproof Building at Thirtieth and
Woodland Will Be Ready by Next

Captain J. H. Waite, at the head of the Florence Crittenton mission and home, located in an old dwelling at 3005 Woodland avenue, made the statement last night that by next summer the institution hopes to be in a new fireproof building. It is to be erected, he said, on the corner of Thirtieth street and Woodland avenue, where they own 156 feet fronting on the latter street.

"The foundation should be laid within the next ninety days," said Captain Waite, "so that work on the super-structure may begin in the spring. We have planned a building to cost between $10,000 and $14,000. As we want to make it absolutely fireproof and of reinforced concrete, we anticipate that the cost will be nearer $14,000. It is a grand institution and has done and is doing the noblest kind of work."

The Florence Crittenton Mission and Home for unfortunate girls was started in this city on February 4, 1896, with an endowment of $3,000 from Charles N. Crittenton, the millionaire philanthropist of New York, who died suddenly in San Francisco Tuesday. It first was situated on the northeast corner of Fourth and Main streets in a large three-story brick building which now has been torn down to make space for a city market.

After being at the original location for a short time it was decided to abandon the downtown mission work and establish a home. The institution then moved to Fifteenth street and Cleveland avenue into rented property. In June, ten years ago, the property at the southeast corner of Thirtieth street and Woodland avenue was purchased for the home.

"A debt hangs over our heads for some time," said Miss Bertha Whitsitt, superintendent of the home yesterday, "but now we have 156 feet frontage on Woodland avenue on which we expect soon to erect our new building.

"Since the beginning of the mission and home," continued Miss Whitsitt, "we have cared for 582 young women, the majority of them with children. Just during the last year we cared for twenty-eight young women and twenty-three children. When totaled the number of days spent in the home by all of them amounts to 4,612, which we record as so many days of charity work."

Captain J. H. Waite, who has been at the head of the home for many years, said that Mr. Crittenton had given the home and mission $3,000 to start on. When the property at 3005 Woodland was purchased the National Florence Crittenton Home at Washington gave about $1,500 toward buying and improving the property.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

October 27, 1909


Carrier's Rig Disappears While His
Back Is Turned in Dark.

Raffles, who was reported dead some years by an English author named Hornung, reappeared in a rather clever role at 11 o'clock last night at Twenty-third street and Woodland avenue. The victim this time was the United States directly and Samuel E. Robinson, mail collector No. 59, indirectly, if a certain horse and wagon does not turn up tied to a water plug somewhere, as is confidently expected by the police.

Robinson had driven considerably past a mail box at the Twenty-third street corner. He did not like the idea of turning his wagon around to go back when it was only a few rods and his limbs were aching for the exercise, so he tied his faithful animal to a pole and did the trick on foot.

Coming back in a few minutes he found the wagon and horse had disappeared, as two bags of first class mail matter, one package of second class and one parcel which might have contained a sable overcoat went with the rig. The robbery was deemed of enough importance to stir up things at the postoffice last night.

Several government detectives and numerous police officers were detailed to hunt for the missing bags.

At an early hour this morning no trace of the resurrected Raffles and his booty had been discovered.

Labels: , , , ,

September 28, 1909


Meanwhile Probation Officer In-
vestigates His Story.

Dr. E. L. Mathias, probation officer, has written to St. Louis, Mo., and Coffeyville, Kas., to investigate the tale related by Theodore Kautz, 14 years old, who fell into the hands of the police Sunday.

Kautz sticks to his story that he ran away from the Christian Orphan's home, 2949 Euclid avenue, St. Louis, and came here in search of his insane mother, who, he says, was left here six years ago when he and his brother, Arthur, two years older, were taken on to the orphanage. He also insists that his mother's insanity was caused by the fact that a nurse girl, left at home alone, placed his 3-months-old sister, Violet, in the stove oven.

Kautz is an unusually bright boy, and well behaved. Yesterday afternoon a call was received at the Detention home that a boy was wanted at the Frisco freight offices to act as office boy at $15 a month. George M. Holt, who looks after that end of the work, took young Kautz to the factory inspector, got him a permit, and escorted him to the freight office.

He will board at the Boys' hotel, 710 Woodland avenue.

Labels: , , , , , ,

September 22, 1909


Blows Out Controller and Gives Pas-
sengers a Scare.

A storm that broke over Kansas City shortly after 11 o'clock last night was accompanied by heavy rolling thunder and vivid lightning flashes that made timid citizens seek the center of feather beds for safety. One misdirected bolt fell into a street car at Eighth street and Woodland avenue, to the consternation of several passengers. Besides burning out the controller and extracting a series of warwhoops from a portly individual in a smoker's seat no damage was done.

Labels: , , ,

August 31, 1909


Women Ask Hadley to Make Him
Confederate Home Superintendent.

After passing several restless hours after an operation, Lieutenant M. E. Ryan died at St. Joseph's hosptial at 4:30 o'clock yesterday afternoon. His wife and children were at his bedside when he died. According to physicians who attended him, he might have lived had he not felt it his duty to be at the station every night.

Funeral arrangements have not been made as yet but it is likely that the greatest number of police that ever took part will accompany the body to the grave. Chief Snow will attend to the matter in person.

"He was one of the bravest and most courageous officers I ever knew," said Captain Walter Whitsett's tribute to him last night. "He never shirked a duty that he undertook and could always be depended upon. The police department has suffered a big loss in his death."

Lieutenant Ryan is survived by a father, a widow and four children. M. E. Ryan, the father, l ives at Eighty street and Tracy avenue. The widow with Mary, 16 years old; Jeremiah, 12; Monica, 9, and Joseph, 6, lives 3711 Woodland avenue.

It was announced last night that the funeral services wo uld be held on a Thursday but no definite arrangements had been made.

Labels: , , ,

August 30, 1909


In Critical Condition as Result of
an Operation.

Lieutenant M. E. Ryan of the police, is in critical condition at St. Joseph's hospital, following an operation performed yesterday afternoon. The operation was to remove a growth inside his right ear. He was unconscious early this morning. His physicians had little hope of his recovery.

Lieutenant Ryan has been on the police force twenty years, having been appointed a patrolman while Thomas M. Speers was chief of police. He was stationed for years at No. 4 police station at Fifteenth and Walnut streets. A year ago he was removed to police headquarters.. Mr. Ryan lives at 3711 Woodland avenue. He is married and has four children.

Labels: , , , , , ,

August 14, 1909


While Carrying Cake of Ice Jake
Schuyler is Overcome.

While transferring a cake of ice to a house at Forty-seventh street and Troost avenue at 3 o'clock yesterday afternoon, Jake Schuyler, an employe of the City Ice Company, suddenly fell over unconscious.

The police ambulance of No. 4 station was called and Dr. Shiras gave Schuyler emergency treatment for sunstroke. He was taken to the emergency hospital. Schuyler is 25 years old. He lives at 1321 Walnut street.

James Burgess, 3717 Woodland avenue, was affected last night about 8 o'clock. The police station was notified and the operator called Dr. S. S. Morse, 3801 Woodland avenue. Burgess is a foreman of the packing department of the Globe Storage Company, and has complained of the heat for several days. He had recovered in a few hours.

A. M. Kissell, 65 years old, a stationary fireman at the Central Manufacturing Company, First and Lydia avenue, about 9 o'clock was overcome by heat and last night he was taken to the emergency hospital for medical attention.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

August 4, 1909


W. H. Winants Tells of Pioneer
Movement in Electric Railways.

Some idea of the complete way in which the street railway properties are wiped out may be gathered from the fate of the old Northeast electric line. It was only in an accidental way yesterday that the fact was developed that within the last twenty years there was built, operated and wiped out in this city an electric railway. The contractor who was speaking of the line could not recall particulars of it, but remembered that Colonel W. H. Winants, president of the Mercantile bank of this city, had been president of the old company. When Colonel Winants was asked about the road he told a story that was one of pioneering.

"Municipal transportation is a dangerous thing," said the Mercantile bank's president. "So many bright minds are bent upon perfecting the means of rapid transit that great discoveries are made, so great that they destroy all earlier methods. Eight men, including myself, found some twenty years ago that horse cars, dummy engines and cable railways would soon be obsolete and that electricity would be the moving power.

"We raised money for a line and took over the Northeast horse car line. That system ran from the Market square to Woodland avenue by way of Independence avenue. It took care of only that territory, and being a mule line, was not conducive to settlers going beyond. With electricity available we went further. We left Independence avenue and laid rails along the present route, though not so far east as the cars now go.

"When we went out there we went out alone. Our equipment was crude, being then newly invented, and the consequence was the service was not as good as it might be. It would not be accepted today. But we ran electric cars, the people saw how much faster they went than the old mules, and how much farther they could go without coming to a dead stop. Mules would go only so far.

"Poor as our service was, the line began to develop the country, and in an incredibly short space of time there were houses going up all along the route, and thus began the growth of the northeast part of Kansas City. The street cars did it."

Asked what became of the line, President Winants laughed and said that "modern inventions and other things made it necessary to get a bigger company, the Metropolitan, to take it over.

"I had the honor of being the president of the first electric line in Kansas City, and the only 'gravity system' we have had. One morning I arrived at the car line barns at Highland avenue, or near there, and found the trolley had got mixed up with the overhead rigging, and had been torn off the top of the car. It would not do to tie up the system. It was time for people to be getting down town. So I had the trolley pole laid at the curb, closed the doors, told the passengers there would be no stop made till we got to the end of the line, thus giving a chance to any who wanted to get off, and away we went.

"It was a downhill run all the way except past Shelley park, and we gathered enough momentum before reaching that level to carry us on to the next decline. We made the trip all right, and thus began and ended Kansas City's gravity line.

"Seriously speaking," resumed Colonel Winants, "there is a great risk in street car sureties. The lines have to spend vast sums of money pioneering. They do a tremendous amount of good to the city and a new invention may wipe them out."

Labels: , , , , , ,

July 26, 1909



Wife Says She Was Nervous and
Excited, and That Shooting in
Muehleback Brewery Was
Only to Frighten Him.

A daintily dressed woman talking through the grate of the cashier's window in the general office of the Muehlebach Brewing Company to her husband, a bookkeeper, at 7:30 o'clock last night, attracted little attention from the beer wagon drivers who happened to be about. Sharp words between members of the opposite sexes in the vicinity of Eighteenth and Main streets even at such an early hour in the evening are not unusual.

Suddenly the woman, Mrs. Mary O'Neill of 431 Ann avenue, Kansas City, Kas., opened her chatelaine bag and inserted her hand.

"Mary, what are you going to do?" asked her husband, Frank P. O'Neill, of 3719 Woodland avenue. Mr. and Mrs. O'Neill have been separated since January 1.

The woman drew a small revolver from the bag and fired at close range, the bullet grazing Mr. O'Neill's neck beneath his right ear and lodging inside the neck band of his shirt. Mrs. O'Neill then dropped the weapon and gave herself up to John Glenn, night watchman of the brewery.


At No. 4 police station Mrs. O'Neill occupied a cell but a few feet from the operating table where Dr. J. M. McKamey was dressing her husband's wound. She was highly excited, nervous and penitent.

"I did not mean to kill him at all," she said, "but he has mistreated me every time I have approached him for money for my support, and I could not help but be on my guard all the time. When he told me to get out of the office tonight I got excited and fired when I only wanted to frighten him.

"My husband and I were married in a Catholic church two years ago," Mrs. O'Neill went on. "He married me without letting me know that he had been married twice before, and that both of these former wives are still living. During the last days of December last year I was sick and somewhat of a burden to him. On the evening of the New Year he left me sick in bed and never came back.

"I have since kept house for my brother, John Semen, at my home on Ann avenue, Kansas City, Kas. The two trips I have taken to see my husband and ask for money from him to buy clothes for myself have not been successful.


Frank O'Neill was not sure last night that he would prosecute his wife. His father, Sergeant F. P. O'Neill of No. 6 police station, however, said he would prosecute.

"I have never mistreated my wife," said the son. "It is true that I have been married before. Mary's shooting at me without warning from her, although my mother called me over the telephone half an hour before, and said Mary was on the way to the brewery to kill me."

Dr. McKamey said that O'Neill's would would easily heal.

Mrs. O'Neill is 28 years old.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

June 12, 1909


Mrs. Spickert Lived Only Few Hours
After Husband's Death.

Nicholas C. and Matilda Spickert, an aged couple living at 4247 Woodland avenue, died of different diseases within a few hours of the same time yesterday. The husband, who was 64 years old, died at the home at 4 o'clock in the morning. He was afflicted with cancer of the stomach. Mrs. Spickert died of a complication common to old age at the home of her only child, Mrs. Margaret Douthat, 3808 Euclid avenue, at 6 o'clock last night. She was unconscious for fourteen hours before her death.

Mr. and Mrs. Spickert came to this city form Texas twenty-five years ago and the former has for the past three years operated a s mall notion store at 4245 Woodland , next door to his dwelling.

Funeral services will be in charge of the Masons from the home of Mrs. Douthat at 2:30 o'clock Saturday afternoon. Burial in Elmwood cemetery.

Mrs. Douthat said last night that the couple had been married thirty-eight years and came to this city from Texas in a prairie schooner.

Labels: , , , ,

April 15, 1909


Officer Cox Suspended Because He
Used Profane Language.

The fact that the complainant, J. E. Worley, 1500 St. Louis avenue, went before the police board yesterday and asked that it be lenient with Patrolman William Cox, who, on the morning of April 3, swore at him at Eighth street and Woodland avenue while learning why he was out so late, saved the officer.

Cox made a clean breast of the affair, but Mayor Thomas T. Crittenden, Jr., was not willing to let him off simply with a reprimand.

"There has been too much of this cursing of men under arrest by officers," he said. "It is absolutely unnecessary and must be stopped. I think the officer should be suspended for five days and that the word should go out to the rest of the force that hereafter the punishment will be more severe in cases where arresting officers use profane and obscene language."

Cox was ordered suspended for five days.

Labels: , , , , ,

March 24, 1909


Clacie Claunch Has Not Been Home
Since Sunday Morning.

The police are looking for Clacie Claunch, 15 years old, who disappeared from her home at 3324 East Eighteenth street Sunday morning. She wore a red skirt, light waist, light striped jacket and long brown leather gloves. Her hair and eyes are brown. She had intended to go to the Hippodrome when she left home.

Arthur Gladstone, 2452 Woodland avenue, reported to the police that his wife has been missing for several days. She is 24 years old, wieghs 120 pounds and wore a blue suit.

Labels: , , ,

March 20, 1909


Henry Havemeyer Here to Sell the
Quinlan Flats.

The sugar king is in Kansas City.

Henry Havemeyer, who controls the sugar trade of the world, as John D. Rockerfeller does the oil business, has been here since Wednesday afternoon, when he arrived from his home in Yonkers, N. Y., on a special train.

"My visit to Kansas City is for the purpose of transacting some business," said Mr. Havemeyer at the Hotel Baltimore last night. "I will return to the East tomorrow. I have nothing to say about sugar."

Mr. Havenmeyer's business in Kansas City was to disperse of the Quinlan flats, Eighth street and Woodland avenue, wihich he has owned for many years. The property, it is said, was sold yesterday for $50,000.. The name of the purchaser was not made public last night.

Labels: , , , , ,

October 13, 1908


Thirteenth and Woodland Will Be New
Site of Home and Mission.

Alderman Edmund E. Morris last night got through the lower house an ordinance granting the right to erect a building at Thirteenth street and Woodland avenue by the Florence Crittenton Home and Mission. During former years in the council it has been hard for rescue homes and kindred institution to secure the privelege of building in the city. No alderman whished one in his ward. The Tenth ward now has two and since the Florence Crittenton institution has raised enough money to build, Alderman Morris said he thought it should have permission and he got it for the home.

Labels: , , ,

October 8, 1908


Republicans Use Phonographs to
Play Campaign Music.

Canned music attracted three large crowds last night, which were then addressed by political spellbinders. The speakers were Everett Elliot and E. W. White, and the music was produced by a phonograph. The Republicans last night sent out a wagon containing a graphophone and speakers to spread the gospel of the Republican party among the people.

The first stop was at Eighteenth and Vine streets, then at Eighteenth and Lydia and last at Eighteenth street and Woodland avenue. The phonograph was used to collect the crowd and from the signal success of the first night it is possible that the practice will continue. Tonight the wagon will go out again.

Labels: , , , , ,

October 6, 1908





Earned Name of Being One of Most Ac-
tive and Conscientious in Council.

John Francis Eaton, member of the upper house of the city council and for years a prominent worker among the Democrats of the city, is dead. His death occurred suddenly last night while he was sitting in a chair on the front porch of his home, 3123 Woodland avenue. While Mr. Eaton had been in poor health for some time, his condition was not considered serious either by himself or his friends until yesterday afternoon, when he complained of a pain in his side and remarked that he could not stand the pain much longer. An hour later, about 7 o'clock in the evening, he died.

Just prior to this time Mr. Eaton was talking with his brother, Walter Y. Eaton, who lives nearby. They had been discussing various subjects, and although Mr. Eaton appeared somewhat pale, death was apparently the last subject on either of their minds.

Mr. Eaton's death occurred just before the opening of the council meeting last night, and just as the roll call was being read a message came to that body announcing the death of a fellow member.

It was unanimously agreed that both houses should assemble and then adjourn out of respect to the memory of Mr. Eaton. It was further decided that on the day of the funeral the city hall should be closed in the afternoon and it was ordered that the flag on the hall be hung at half mast for thirty days.


Alderman Eaton was 58 years old and had lived in Kansas City since 1831. He was born in St. Louis in 1852. When he was one year old his parents removed to Quincy, Ill., where he was educated in the common schools of the city. When 18 years old he started in the book and stationary business and a few years later he became a traveling salesman for a crockery concern in which work he continued until coming to Kansas City when he went into business for himself, taking for his partner L. E. Erwin.

Twelve years ago he retired from the crockery business and engaged in insurance work, which line he followed up to the time of his death.

He was a Democrat, a notable worker in the party and earned for himself the name of being one of the most active and conscientious aldermen in the city. He was greatly interested in securing a municipal appropriation for the new zoological garden at Swope Park. Although being a staunch Democrat, Alderman Eaton had the name of never allowing politics to influence any of his legislative acts. He was the chairman of the finance committee and was associated with the workhouse, public places and building committees.

Twenty-five years ago he was married to Miss Flora McMillan, who survives him. There are no children. Mr. Eaton was a past commander of the K. P. lodge and was a thirty-third degree Mason. In church circles he was well known, being a member of the Grace Episcopal church, where he held the offices of treasurer and vestryman in the church.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

June 26, 1908





Home Where Ceremony Was Being
Held Set on Fire Accidentally.
The "Cutups" Find New
Source of Torment.

Jokers made an attempt to fumigate the residence of Mrs. N. P. Maupin, 3609 Wyandotte street, Wednesday night while Mrs. Maupin's daughter was being married in the parlor to Harry Pierce, a furnishing goods dealer. As a result of the prank Robert Maupin, brother of the bride, may have an injured left hand the rest of his life, and J. J. Foster, a wedding guest, is still confined at his home, 2001 Woodland avenue, ill from inhaling deadly sulphur fumes.
The wedding ceremony was just performed and the formalities of bride-greeting were on, when Robert Maupin left the room to investigate the source of sulphur fumes, which had annoyed the guests during the last few minutes of the wedding service. He entered a rear room and was almost overcome by the fume before he discovered the tray on which the sulphur was burning.
The jokers who placed the sulphur inside had closed the window again and Mr. Maupin was forced to raise the sash with one hand while he held the tray of burning sulphur in the other. The window "stuck," he jerked impatiently, and the tray was overturned. The burning mass ran over Mr. Maupin's left hand and he screamed in pain.
In the meantime, J. J. Foster, who had gone in search of Maupin, heard the latter's startled cry and rushed into the room. The window curtains were ablaze and the carpet was burning. The deadly fumes prostrated Mr. Foster beore he could get out of the room, after putting out the fire and aiding Mr. Maupin with the window and the sulphur tray.
Dr. Allen L. Porter was called from his residence at 3001 Central street. He revived Mr. Foster and treated Mr. Maupin's hand. Mr. Foster was then taken to his home and later another physician was called in consultation. Last night Mr. Foster was unable to leave his house. He insisted last night on going to the telephone and talking to Maupin. He had intended offering a reward for the detection of the jokers who caused his injury. Mr. Maupin, however, said he would prefer not to prosecute because he is sure the fumigating method was taken by friends, who merely tried to frighten the bride and groom.
The flesh was burned from Maupin's hand, and the attending physician stated that some of the finger joints may remain stiff. Mr. Pierce and his bride, who was Miss L. Maupin, will leave tonight for a honeymoon tour of California and the Pacific coast. Their departure was postponed on account of the serious injury to the bride's brother and their guest.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

June 21, 1908



Had Been Buried Alive in Louisville
and Wanted to Be Cremated in
a Wideawake Town -- Copy
of Will Here.

One of the most extraordinary documents ever sent to Kansas City for recording was received in the probate court yesterday from Louisville, Ky., to be made part of the abstract of the site and property at the southwest corner of Eighth and Woodland, the site and property at the southwest corner of Eighth and Woodland, the old Woodland hotel. The document is a copy of the will of the late William F. Norton, Jr., executed August 6, 1902, while the maker was residing in Louisville. He has since died. The Eighth and Woodland property is being sold and in order to complete the record of the title the buyer has called for a copy of the Norton will. The document sent here for filing is a typewritten copy. It begins with verse from Prior, Byron and Shakespeare, and after identifying itself, it reads:

In case I die in Louisville, in which dead town I have been buried for so many years, I wish a special Pullman car to be engaged to carry my body to Cincinnati for incineration in that city, taking the receptacle that will be found in my rooms, Nos. 19, 20, 21 and 22 Norton block, in which my ashes are to be placed.

I wish the buffet of the Pullman car to be well stocked with nice things to eat and to drink, so that my friends who will do me the honor to see me started on that long journey may not want for anything to ease their hunger or slack their thirst.

"As it takes about two hours to cremate a body, I wish my executors to engage the Bellstedt band, the best band in Cincinnati, of forty musicians, at $200, to render a fine concert composed of my favorite musical selections, a copy of the programme to be found in the same envelope containing my will.

"It will be noticed that there are two intermissions of fifteen minutes each indicated on the programme. During those intermissions I wish my friends who will be witnesses to my incineration to invite the musicians to drink with them to my 'bon voyage; in Montebello brut champagne, several cases of which will be sent from the Pullman car to the crematory."

From this point the will becomes normal, providing that the ashes of the remains go in a bronze urn, which should be placed on top of a monument in the grave yard at Russellville, Ky., and peremptorily directing that there be no religious service or other service whatever. No bond was to be required of the executors, no sale made, no proceedings excepting statutory ones in the probate court and no inventory taken. The document then shows that Norton willed to "my faithful old servant, Eugene Hines, the sum of $3,000 which will be enough to last him, with care;" to Miss Augusta Savage $10,000 provided she be unmarried at the time of the testator's death and to Dr. M. Sweeney, for services, $13,000. The residue was left to Mrs. Ann E. Norton, mother, "unless I should marry and be survived by a wife," in which event the widow would get one-fourth the net income of the estate, the remaining three-fourths to go to the children, if any.

There is nothing accompanying the official copy of the will to signify whether or not the extraordinary provisions were complied with, but G. W. Norton, a cousin, and M. W. Brower, a life-long friend, are named as executors and enjoined to carry out its provisions in every particular.

The estate is worth about $4,000,000.

Labels: , , , ,

May 28, 1908


Dismissed Pupils Yesterday When
Black Clouds Appeared.

Fearing that the black cloud which approached Kansas City from the northwest yesterday morning was bring a tornado, Miss Emma J. Lockett, principal of the Linwood school, Linwood and Woodland avenues, dismissed the 735 children under her care, and sent them scampering to their homes.

But she first called up P. Connor, the weather forecaster. After being assured that the coming storm was not a twister, she remembered how many times she had failed to take an umbrella when he said "Fair today," and had come home dripping, so she was not satisfied, but tried to call the school board. After several ineffectual attempts, the board's telephone being in use at each time, she noticed that the cloud was much nearer. At the rate it was coming, the children could barely have time to get to their own roofs before trees began to be uprooted. She rang the dismissal bell, telling her charges to go home at once.

But Mr. Connor was right, and Miss Lockett very sweetly admitted it after the cloud had passed. School was resumed at the afternoon hour.

The Catholic sisters in charge of St. Vincent's academy, Thirty-first street and Flora avenue, also dismissed their 250 pupils when the threatening clouds appeared.

In 1886 the Lathrop school, Eight and May streets, was partly wrecked by a storm. Several children were killed.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

January 15, 1908


Anna Kasson Receives $10,000 for
Thirty-Two Years' Work.

Anna Kasson, a poor woman who claimed she had worked thirty-two years in the family of Mrs. Kate Ernest without receiving any compensation, will be rewarded for her life's work, as the jury, after deliberating nearly ten minutes, returned a verdict that the will, which the heirs sought to break, holds good. Miss Kasson will receive real estate at Eighth and Woodland avenue valued at about $9,000 and $1,000 in cash, which was left her in Mrs. Ernest's will.

A smile crept over the face of the little woman in the court room as the jury returned the verdict in her favor. All day she sat in an arm chair in one side of the room and presented a most pitiful appearance. She was dressed in a calico dress, and her appearance showed that she had worked hard for nearly a whole life time. She had been rewarded for her work by the will of her foster parents, as she claimed the Ernests to be, and a son of Mrs. Ernest had brought the suit in order to cut Miss Kasson out of receiving her share of Mrs. Ernest's property.

Labels: , , ,

October 26, 1907


Beer Ran in the Gutter, Due to a
Street Car Accident.

Beer literally ran in the gutters last night about 6:30 o'clock, when an east-bound Fifth street car ran into a beer wagon belonging to the Kansas City Breweries Company near Guinotte and Woodland avenues.

Cases of bottles were knocked from the wagon to the pavement and broken, the beer running in an amber stream into the gutters, while the crow of laboring men going home gathered about and watched it with wistful eyes.

Bill Slaughter, 45 years old, a negro, who was stealing a ride on the back of the wagon, was knocked to the tracks, and the front trucks of the car ran over his left ankle, crushing it so badly that his leg will probably have to be amputated below the knee. He was taken to the general hospital.

Homer Dantol, the driver of the wagon, was not hurt. W. B. Hanlon and B. E. Racker, patrolmen, were on the car, and arrested Dell Robinson, the conductor, and W. M. Prettyman, the motorman. They were taken to police headquarters, and released after making a statement.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

October 3, 1907


Negro Organization, After a Stormy
Session, Is Disabled.

The Negro-Republican League of Missouri went "bust" last night, so far as the Kansas City chapter is concerned. It assembled at Allen's chapel on Woodland avenue in response to a call from the president, W. C. Hueston, and the secretary, J. Silas Harris, to organize for the next political campaign and to see what could be done in the way of securing negro representatives from Missouri at the next national Republican convention. About twenty-five influential negro politicians and business men were present.

As soon as the meeting was called to order hostilities began. Many speakers refused upon the floor to admit they were in sympathy with the league, two or three denying they were met as members of that organization at all. When Chairman Heuston refused to entertain a motion to dissolve the league meeting into a general mass meeting a motion to adjourn was made and passed. A mass meeting was then declared on the boards instead of the league meeting assembly. Lewis Woods was elected chairman to succeed Heuston, who with forceful words declared Woods a political renegade and left the hall.

A committee of seven was appointed to draft plans for a general organization to succeed the league. This committee, headed by J. Silas Harris, was instructed to formulate articles of agreement for a new association and outline a plan of campaign to secure the coveted representation in the "big four," or delegates from the state to the national convention.

A number of those who were present last night were armed with resolutions indorsing different party favorites for offices at the next election. These were headed off by the disruption of the league.

Labels: , , ,

August 6, 1907


J. S. Daily Badly Bruised at Nine-
teenth and Main Streets.

J. S. Daily, a carpenter, 72 years old, was running to catch a car at Nineteenth and Main streets last night about 5:30 o'clock, when he was run over by a team and wagon. The driver was not arrested. Daily received many bruises, a deep cut on the forehead and another on the nose.

Dr. R. G. Dagg, ambulance surgeon from the Walnut street police station, attended his injuries and sent him to his home at 2128 Woodland avenue.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

June 28, 1907



Had Been Engaged in Work for Merrill
for Years and Was a Prominent
Worker in the Trinity
Episcopal Church --
An Autopsy Today

"Get a doctor quick," suddenly exclaimed R. A. Howard, 3118 Tracy avenue, last night to Sergeant Robert James in No. 9 police station, Thirty-seventh street and Woodland avenue, with whom he had been talking. As the man spoke, he reeled and started to fall, grasping a desk in front of him. A police officer ran and assisted him to a nearby bench. Two other police officers started out to find a physician, and presently returned, one accompanied by Dr. S. P. Reese, 3801 Woodland avenue, and the other with Dr. H. D. Hamilton, 3522 Woodland avenue.

Withing five minutes, however, after the physicians arrived Mr. Howard died. He had suffered an attack of heart disease.

Mr. Howard had gone to the police station to inquire into the case of Earl Day, a youth who lives across the street from the Howard home, and who had been taken to the police station by an officer fro placing torpedoes on the car tracks. The purpose in taking the boy to the station was to allow Sergeant James to give him a lecture for prematurely celebrating the Fourth, and Mr. Howard, believing that a charge would be placed against the youth, went to go his bonds.

Sergeant James had just told Mr. Howard that the boy would not be held, but would be "scared up a bit," and Mr. Howard seemed then to take the matter as a joke, and he and the officer were laughing over the affair and discussing the pranks of the boys in the neighborhood.

Mr. Howard was 55 years old. He was married but had no children. He supposedly enjoyed normal health. He worked yesterday and according to Mr. Merrill, his employer, was apparently well and in the best of spirits. He left work at 6 o'clock yesterday evening, going directly to his home.

Mr. Howard had been in the employ of the Merrill Lumber Company for more than twenty-five years, and was considered one of the best in the company's employ, having attained the position as Mr. Merrill's right hand man. He came here from Michigan just before entering the employ of Mr. Merrill, and was married about eighteen years ago.

Mr. Howard was a member of Trinity Episcopal church, Tenth street and Tracy avenue, where for several years he had been a vestryman.

Dr. O. H. Parker, deputy coroner, viewed the body and had it removed to Newcomer's undertaking establishment. An autopsy will be held today.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

January 5, 1907


Extension Will Not Take It to the
Swope Park Connection

With the announcement that in extending the Prospect avenue line this year the Metropolitan Street Railway Company will take it no further south than Thrity-seventh street, there will be disappointment along Troost avenue. The expectation that big crowds will go to Electric park every night, and many thousands on Sunday, most of them using the Troose avenue line, has distrubed Troost residents for a long time. In addition, the Troost avenue people realize that there will be thousands going over their line to Swope park. A negro park was started last summer just beyond the new Electric park and hundreds of negroes went nightly out on Troost aveune.

The negroes will still have to use the Troost avenue line to reach their new park. The Woodland avenue line is to be extended to Electric park, but will go no further south than Forty-fifth street. General Manager C. N. Black said yesterday that the Metropolitan would make ample arrangements for handling the crowds which will patronize Electric and Swope parks. "They will have," he said, "the Rockhill, the Troost, and the Woodland avenue lines. This will be good service. I do not think it will crowd the Troost avenue line."

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

The Son of Jesse James is Accused of a Train Robbery at Leeds ... Can he get a fair trial in Kansas City?
The Trial of Jesse James, Jr.

>>More KC Books<<

As an Amazon Associate this site may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory