Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

November 21, 1909



Edgar Palin, Aged 12, Dies in Hos-
pital From Injuries Received in
Alighting in Path of Machine
Giving Children Ride.
Edgar Palin, 12-year-old Killed by Automobile.
Twelve-Year-Old Boy Who Leaped from Street Car Fender and Was Mortally Injured by Automobile.

As Edgar Palin, 12 years old, 2802 East Sixth street, jumped from the back fender of an eastbound Independence avenue car yesterday afternoon at Prospect avenue, he was run over and fatally injured by a motor car driven by E. T. Curtis, 3338 Wyandotte street. He died at 7 o'clock last night at the German hospital, without recovering consciousness.

With Allen Compton, 400 Wabash avenue, the boy had been playing all afternoon. About 3 o'clock the two lads started northward on Wabash avenue, and at Independence avenue both noticed an approaching street car.

"Let's catch the fender," called Edgar, as he waited along the curbing. The car was moving at moderate speed and the boy ran behind, and caught hold of the fender. His companion, 10 years old, ran behind on the sidewalk. At Prospect avenue Edgar, without looking around, jumped from the fender directly in front of an approaching auto, barely fifteen feet behind him. Curtis attempted to dodge the boy. The left fender of the auto struck the child and he was sent tumbling on the pavement. He was picked up by Curtis. Several children were in the auto. With Curtis was Herman Smith, of 3606 Olive street, whose father owned the car. In a nearby drug store it was found the boy had been injured seriously.


"I was driving at about fifteen miles an hour," Curtis said. "The auto belonged to young Smith's father and I was running it because I had the most experience. A party of school children were with us. We were taking them for a ride around the block. I noticed the child on the fender and did not have the least idea that he was going to run in my path. I swerved to one side, but the machine skidded and the fender of the auto struck him in the back. I realized at once that he had received a fearful blow."

After the child was given emergency treatment in the drug store by two neighboring physicians, he was taken to his home in the motor car, and after being attended by Dr. Max Goldman, was removed to the German hospital. Dr. Goldman found that the boy's spine was broken and that his skull was probably fractured.

Allen Compton, his playmate, was in a condition bordering on hysterics last night. The two had been gathering old papers during the forenoon and had just been to the paper mill, where they had received a few pennies with which they intended to buy Christmas presents.

"Edgar wasn't no car hopper," Allen said last night, in defense of his friend. "He was just running behind and holding on to the fender. Edgar wasn't that kind."

With Judge J. E. Guinotte, a friend of the family, young Curtis went to police headquarters last night and made a statement to Captain Walter Whitsett. After consulting Virgil Conkling, prosecuting attorney, it was decided not to hold him. He promised to come to the prosecutor's office Monday and make a complete statement. He said that he had been running a car for eight years. He is the son of W. E. Curtis, a live stock commission man.

The injured boy was the son of W. M. Palin, a real estate dealer in the Commerce building. The body will be taken to Gridley, Kas., for burial.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

October 15, 1909



Walks Right in and Turns Around
When She Screams and Walks
Right Out Again -- Has Fol-
lowed Others.

Closely followed by a stranger who did not halt when she reached her home but pursued her into the hall when she opened the door, Miss Estella Storie, daughter of Thomas C. Storie, a contractor, who lives at 2443 Wabash avenue, aroused the family last night with her frightened cries. The man, without showing much alarm, deliberately walked out and disappeared in the darkness as Mr. Storie came bounding down the stairs.

The girl, her nerves unstrung, sank into a chair and was hardly able to talk for several minutes. She had alighted from a Prospect avenue car at Howard avenue and had started to walk west one block to Wabash and then north to her home. She noticed that a man stepped out of the shadows and followed her as she hastened down Howard avenue.

"He didn't hurry," the girl said, "just walked in that same even pace that frightened me more than if he had said something. But I knew that he was gaining on me and by the time I reached the walk that led up to the house he could have grabbed me.

"He didn't turn as I expected, but followed me right up the walk and entered the house behind me. Then I screamed for help. When I screamed, he deliberately walked out without even closing the door."

Mr. Storie called up the Flora avenue police station at once and Sergeant John Duer dispatched Patrolman John C. Riner to the Storie home. He investigated the premises carefully but there was no trace of the stranger.

Other cases of men following women have been reported at the Flora avenue police station. Last week a woman who lives near Twenty-third and Olive street reported to the police that a man followed her but she was unwilling to give her name as she wished to avoid notoriety. The description of the man she gave the police tallied with the stranger who followed Miss Storie last night. It is believed that the one man has been responsible for the scares given to the women of the district.

Labels: , , ,

September 7, 1909


Boys Preparing to Send Them Up
When Officers Came.

The ascension of a kite with a chicken and cat attached as a ballast didn't take place yesterday morning in the neighborhood of Fifth street and Wabash avenue, which several of the youngsters of the neighborhood had planned as a sort of Labor Day celebration. But it was all the fault of the Humane society who had heard of the plans.

When two officers arrived yesterday morning the crowd scattered. they found the deserted kite with the chicken and cat attached in the proper fashion. No arrests were made.

Labels: , , , , ,

August 22, 1909



Anniversary of Her Birth Was Cele-
brated Yesterday -- Two Sons
Are Ministers -- Five Weigh
Over 200 Pounds Each.
Four of the Five Generations in Milbra R. Campbell's Family.

Six children, twenty-eight grandchildren, fifty-two great-grandchildren and one great-great-grandchild.

The foregoing are the living descendants of Mrs. Milbra R. Campbell, whose eighty-fourth birth anniversary was celebrated yesterday at the home of her son, George W. Campbell, 728 Wabash avenue. All the five sons who attended are over six feet tall and weigh more than 200 pounds each. They are Rev. John A. Campbell of Chillicothe, Tex., Rev. W. T. Campbell of Pueblo, Col., both ministers in the Baptist church, James H., George W. and David Campbell, all engaged in the live stock commission business in this city. Mrs. E. J. Henry, the only daughter, 1221 Bales avenue, was detained at home on account of illness.

At 1 o'clock a dinner was served to the immediate relatives attending the anniversary. During the afternoon an informal reception was held for relatives and friends. A photographer took pictures of "Grandma" Campbell, as she is familiarly known, and her five stalwart sons. After that group pictures of those present, representing many generations, were taken.


The accompanying photograph represents but four generations of the Campbell family. There are now five. This picture was taken eleven years ago and shows Mrs. Campbell, her only daughter, Mrs. Elizabeth J. Henry, her son, Charles D. Henry and the latter's daughter, Miss Dorothy J. Henry, now in her sixteenth year.

The Rev. W. T. Campbell, who is here with his four children from Pueblo, Col., where he is pastor of the First Baptist church, is not a stranger in Kansas City. He held several pastorates in this city and organized what is now known as the Olive street Baptist church. He will occupy the pulpit there this morning and tonight. Rev. Mr. Campbell was also a pastor of a church in Independence, Mo., for four years.

The ancestors of this sturdy family, in which there has been no deaths since 1864, came from Scotland and the North of Ireland. In 1836 the father and mother immigrated from Tennessee and settled among the early pioneers in Northwestern Arkansas.


The father, who was born in 1826, served in the United States army during the Mexican war of 1847. When volunteers were being called for to stay the failing fortunes of the Confederacy he volunteered to the governor of Arkansas in 1861 and was made captain of Company D, Fourteenth Arkansas infantry. After being engaged in many battles he surrendered with his company at Fort Hudson, July 8, 1863, and was made a prisoner of war. He died shortly afterward of a disease contracted in the army.

J. H. Campbell, the oldest brother, and John A. Campbell, now a minister, enlisted in the Confederate army later on and were with General Price in most of his big fights, and with Price's raid into Missouri. John was severely wounded in the battle of the Little Blue and captured, spending the rest of the war time in a military prison at Indianapolis, Ind. J. H. Campbell served with Price until the surrender at Shreveport, La., June 9, 1865. Both brothers were in the same company.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

June 14, 1909


Unique Services Are Given at the
Lutheran Church.

Unique services were carried out at the Lutheran church, Thirty-seventh street and Wabash avenue, yesterday morning when the entire programme was placed in the hands of the children of the church.

The Rev. J. M. Cromer, the pastor, devised a sermon which was to be given in parts, and seven boys and seven girls delivered the message. The sermon was taken form the text: Beware of the mongrel dog."

James Gillettee, a 3-year-old, gave the address for the morning, which consisted of a recitation telling the members of the congregation they were to sit through a Children's day service.

Donald Scott gave the introduction of the sermon and the first phase, belonging to the mongrel dog, was told about by Shirley Glasscock. The dog was likened to the man who knew nothing of his parentage and cared less. Another side of the sermon had to do with the smiling, snapping dog, of which the congregation was warned. Then came the mad dog, being like angry men. The last of those phases dealt with the bulldog, whose stubbornness was so well copied by some men that it would be well to beware of them.

The sermon was preached by Shirley Glasscock, Eugene Feibler, Mandeville Zabriskie and George Gallet. Between each phase of the sermon a recitation was given by the following girls, in order: Tillie Neufer, Alleen Glasscock, Grace Robinson and June Baltis.

Robert Zimmerman gave an application of the sermon and Hazel Becker followed with an appropriate recitation . The talk preceding the offering was made by Earl Ocre and Nannie Owen sang a solo while the offering was being collected.

Labels: , , , ,

June 10, 1909



A. W. Johnson Alleged to Have In-
duced Them to Give Up Money
and I. O. U.'s Totaling $120.
Held by Justice.

Six members of the Athenaeum Club went to the prosecutor's office yesterday and on behalf of themselves and three others declared that A. W. Johnson, a book agent, had hypnotized them into giving up money and I. O. U.'s totaling $120.75.

The women who complained to M. M. Bogie, assistant prosecuting attorney, were the following: Mrs. Anna S. Welch, wife of a physician; Mrs. E. T. Phillips, wife of a physician, residence the Lorraine; Mrs. Paul B. Chaney, 3446 Campbell street; Mrs. George S. Millard, 4331 Harrison street; Mrs. W. W. Anderson, 2705 Linwood avenue; Dr. Eliza Mitchell, 1008 Locust street.

Besides these, the following complained of Johnson, but did not appear yesterday: Mrs. Willard Q. Church, 3325 Wyandotte street; Mrs. Wilbur Bell, 200 Olive street, and Mrs. S. S. Moorehead, 3329 Forest avenue.

The women confronted Johnson in Mr. Bogie's office. It was declared that he had exercised hypnotic power. Said Mrs. M. H. Devault, 3411 Wabash avenue, prominent in the Athenaeum:

"This man sold a set of books called 'The Authors' Digest' to these members of the Athenaeum on representation that I had purchased the volumes and had recommended them. They bought largely on this recommendation."

"Yes, and we were hypnotized," said the women.

In addition to the books, Johnson sold a membership in the "American University Association." This, the women say he told them, would enable them to buy books, and especially medical works, at less than the usual price. After correspondence it was found that the lower prices could not be secured.

From all but one woman named, except Mrs. Devault, Johnson secured $5.75 and an order for $115. From Mrs. Millard he got $20 in money.

Johnson, a well dressed, affable young man, was arraigned before Justice Theodore Remley on a charge of obtaining money under false pretenses. He pleaded not guilty and was released on a bond of $500. He said he had an office in the Century building.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

April 6, 1909


In Course of Construction on Lin-
wood Boulevard, and Will Be
Ready October 1.

Work is being pushed on the new thirty-apartment flat building now in the course of construction on Linwood boulevard, covering the entire block from Prospect to Wabash avenue. It is expected it will be completed and ready for occupancy by October 1.

The building is to be three stories high, and constructed of brick and cut stone. Facing on Linwood boulevard, it will have five entrances, each one leading to six apartments. Four large stone columns supporting individual porches line the entrances.

Each apartment will have six rooms, two living rooms, a parlor, a bedroom, kitchen and dining room. This is exclusive of the bath room. The interior decorations are to be of polished oak and mahogany with the exception of the bath and bedrooms, which will be finished in white enamel. The parlors will open onto the porches. Floors in all the apartments are to be of polished oak.

The building, which has not yet been named, is being built by W. H. Collins at a cost of about $100,000. John W. McKecknie is the architect. Already the foundations have been laid and work on the first story will be commenced about the middle of this week.

Labels: , , , ,

January 28, 1909





Trusting Females Assure Nord of
Their Faith in Him and Men-
tion Cash in Loans or in
Mining Schemes.

Nearly 2,000 love letters written to Charles E. Nord, arrested in Omaha January 13 and charged with passing a bogus check on C. H. Reardon, 2602 Brooklyn avenue, found among his effects yesterday by Detectives Robert Phelen and Scott Godley, show that he preyed upon the affections of women in all parts of the country. Nord is now in the county jail, awaiting trial.

Some of the writers of the letters offer up their lives if necessary for his love, and others asked the return of money received from them. Nord apparently had the faculty of inspiring love in all women with whom he came in contact.

Jane Ida Bell, Halleybury, Ont., met Nord and fell in love with him. She had a little money in her own name, and purchased a half interest in a mining claim. Her brokers were informed of her little flyer, and Nord decamped.


One writer, who signed her name as Jane, lived at 1223 Irwin street, Pittsburgh, Pa. She wrote to Nord in the most endearing terms. She pleaded with the man to sell his office furniture in Buffalo and come to her and marry her. She promised to work and assist in paying the household expenses. Her family objected, and she left home and went to work as a bookkeeeper for $12 a week.

On account of her confidence in him, Nord, from the letter, seems to have succeeded in getting the girl to loan him $25. Again he asked for $25, but she did not have it and informed Nord that she had sold her furniture to give him the money the first time he asked for hit. Then, losing her position, she wrote Nord, telling him sh e was starving.


An annuity of $100 a month was offered to Nord by Ida M. Stern, 5519 Madison street, Chicago, Ill., if he would only marry her and allow her to love him the rest of her life. She said she had that much guaranteed and they could live on it until his mines panned out.

Then Mary L. Berry got into the game, and Nord loved her $1,000 worth, or at least she says she signed his note for that amount. Mrs. Anna Heerhold, Irving Park, Ill., says she gave him a check for $500 and failed to ever hear from him again.

It remained for a Kansas City girl named Ida M., who formerly lived at 305 Wabash avenue, to represent the extreme western line that Nord's emotional and financial operations extended to. She loved him well enough to trust him for a loan, and then says she burned out the telephone wires in a futile effort to make him repay her.

In all of the letters the women write him they express the utmost faith in his love and fidelity, but wonder why he fails to keep his word. The police recovered nearly 2,000 letters written to Nord, and all of them speak of money obtained, either as loans or on mining schemes.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

December 31, 1908


J. A. Stout Seeks Injunction Against
Forest Hill Cemetery Owners.

Because the cemetery company insists that none but Episcopalians can be buried in Forest Hill cemetery, an in junction suit was filed against it by John A. Stout in the circuit court yesterday. The plaintiff asks that the Troost Avenue Cemetery Company, which owns the burying ground, be compelled to permit the burial of the bodies of his daughter-in-law, Mrs. Arthur Stout, and her child, in Forest Hill. He states that he bought a lot from the vestrymen of St. Mary's Episcopal church, but at the death of his relatives the cemetery company would not allow him to bury them in his lot because they had not been Episcopalians.

Several suits are pending in the courts, based on the same contention.

The injunction is returnable at 9 o'clock this morning. In several instances the court has made similar injunctions permanent. Frank M. Lowe is attorney for Mr. Stout.

The bodies which the owner of the lot desires to have sepultured there are those of Mrs. Dora V. Stout and her 2-year-old son, wife and child of the Rev. Arthur Stout, former pastor of the Sheffield Christian church. Mrs. Stout died at the home of her father-in-law, John A. Stout, 2544 Wabash avenue, Tuesday night. The baby died in New Mexico several weeks ago.

Labels: , , , , , ,

July 9, 1908





King's Injuries Are Serious and Sa-
loonkeeper's Case Will Be Pre-
sented to Grand Jury -- Was
Struck From Behind.

Jack Gallagher, Democratic politician, former policeman and saloonist, assaulted Albert H. King, a reporter for The Journal, while the two were in friendly conversation in the street in front of police headquarters late yesterday afternoon. Frank Frost a reporter for the Kansas City Star, who Gallagher says was scheduled for a like assault, escaped the brute strength of the big saloonkeeper by rushing into the police station to call out officers to ave King.

Gallagher was arrested, but immediately began a legal battle to gain his freedom. Milton J. Oldham, a lawyer hurried to the holdover from the police board rooms but his efforts to get the prisoner released were fruitless. Mr. King was taken to the emergency hospital, where the surgeons in attendance declined to examine him until the shock he had sustained had worn off. His injuries were later discovered to be serious, and John W. Hogan, an assistant prosecuting attorney, was called to take the injured man's statement. The assistant prosecutor at once placed a bar against the release of Gallagher by stating that he would prepare a serious charge against him, to be served immediately if political friends of the saloonist politician should succeed in getting the police department to accept a bond.

Mr. King, who is a reporter for The Journal assigned to police duty, is still at the emergency hospital. He is not an able-bodied man because of injuries received in the Spanish-American war, and the attending physicians fear his injuries may prove permanent.


Yesterday afternoon, Mr. King attended a meeting of the board of police commissioners The board had before it charges against Gallagher for selling liquor on Sunday at 8 East Fourth street, directly across the street from the entrance to Central police station, and operating a crap game at his other saloon, 310 Independence avenue. The charges regarding the last named place were postponed until the next meeting, but the board closed the Fourth street place. Milton J. Oldham, attorney for Gallagher, stated last night that the board promised him they would give Gallagher a chance and let his Independence avenue saloon run, but that the Sunday selling at 8 East Fourth street has been so flagrant a violation of the board's orders that the license would have to be forfeited.

Gallagher and Mr. King have been acquaintances for some time, and, immediately after the court meeting Gallagher invited Mr. King to go across the street and take a drink before the police closed his place. Mr. King declined, stating that he was too busy at that time. On the stairs a few minutes later Gallagher again extended the invitation and again Mr. King, who was busy about his day's work, declined.

In the press room on the main floor of the city hall Mr. King and Frank Frost, a reporter for the Kansas City Star, were discussing various orders made by the police board a few minutes later when Gallagher opened the door and with a smile, asked the two across to his place.

"I guess we had better go," said Frost.

"Cheer up," said Gallagher to Mr. King, and the latter reached for his cane and the three went into the street.

Gallagher's place, the one soon to be closed by the board's order, made earlier in the afternoon, is immediately across Fourth street from the main entrance to the Central police station. It was there that Gallagher, growing reckless in his prosperity as a saloonkeeper, had openly sold liquor on Sundays until the place was raided by the police from the Walnut street station a week ago last Sunday. It was the evidence secured in this raid which the police board considered sufficient for revoking the license.


As Mr. King, who, on account of former injuries, must carry a cane to steady himself, stepped from the curb into the street, Gallagher fell back a step between Mr. King and Mr. Frost. Just as they reached the center of the narrow street Gallagher took a hurried step forward and struck Mr. King in the forehead. The reporter fell to the pavement.

Mr. Frost immediately hurried back into the police station door and called to the assembled officers and men:

"Jack Gallagher is killing King."

Knowing Gallagher as a "bad" man, every police officer in the station was alert in an instant. Patrolman John J. Crane hurriedly took a pistol from the desk and Captain Walter Whitsett and Detective Inspector Charles Ryan, both shut off from the main lobby of the station, hurried to the door. Patrolman Joseph Welsh followed.

In the meantime in the street Mr. King was at the mercy of the brutal saloonkeeper. Gallagher struck him again as he tried to get up , and then kicked him in the back. Mr. King rolled over, and the big saloonkeeper brought his heel down on the right side of the reporter's face, cutting a jagged wound across the face. As he kicked Mr. King in the ribs Patrolman Patrick Boyle grappled with him. He had reached the street ahead of Captian Whitsett, Inspector Ryan and Patrolman Crane, the latter being the only armed man in the crowd.


Gallagher did not resist arrest, as the police had expected, and was led into the station door, but a few feet away, by Boyle, while Captain Whitsett, Inspector Ryan and newspaper reporters who had hurried from the press room at the head of the stairs, picked up the inured man Gallagher, was locked up, charged with investigation, and Mr.King was carried around the corner of the building to the emergency hospital.

Upstairs in the police board rooms Commissioners A. E. Gallagher and Elliot H. Jones were just leaving their chairs. They heard the commotion in the central station below and went down to investigate. When they learned the circumstances of the assault, both commissioners became agitated. Commissioner Galagher went to the commanding officer's desk and admonished those in charge to hold Jack Gallagher, the saloonkeeper, unless a heavy bond was furnished.

"I don't think he ought to be released uner any circumstances," said Commissioner Jones.

The assault was considered unusually brutal by police officers and other witnesses, and the story soon reached the office of R. L. Gregory, acting mayor, Gus Pearson, city comptroller, and John Murray, formerly a newspaper reporter, saw the assault from the corner of Fourth and Main sterets as they were boarding a street car. They went at once to the emergency hospital and soon were joined by Mr. Gregory.


The acting mayor asked Mr. King about the assault and then went at once to police headquarters, where he gave orders that Gallagher be held without bond. Mr. Gregory was closeted with Captain Walter Whitsett for several minutes and, when he emerged from the captain's office, assured those outside that the prisoner would be held for the customary twenty-four hours, when a charge must be placed against him. Assistant Prosecutor Hogan had taken Mr. Kin's statement by that time, and stated that if Gallagher's attorney saw fit to sue out a writ of habeas corpus he would have the prisoner held for the prosecutor. Mr. Hogan said he would call the assault to the attention of the grand jury this morning.

Immediately after Attorney Oldham appeared, Jack Spillane and Patrick Larkin, the latter a Sixth ward politician, were called tot he station to furnish bond.

When told that no bond would be accepted Oldham demanded that a charge be placed against Gallagher. He boasted that he would clear the saloonkeeper of any charge which would be brought Spillane, a sidewalk inspector for the city, was very angry when he found he not furnish a bond big enough to get his slugger friend out of the holdover. Thoroughly baffled, the trio later telephoned for a dinner to be served the prisoner and left the station.

Mr. Oldham and Gallagher told him that he had intended to assault Frank Frost, the Kansas City STar reporter, who went into the street with him and Mr. King, but failed because the police got action too quickly for him.

"He told me," said Mr. Oldham, "that King had double-crossed him and was responsible for his Fourth street pace being raided."

Mr. King, who knew of the flagrant violation of the Sunday law by Gallagher, did not have anything to do with the raid. He had not written a line about the place for the paper which employs him and had told Tom Gallagher as much when the latter, a week ago, asked him why he was "sore at his brother Jack.

"Jack is my friend," was the reply Mr. King made to Tom Gallagher.


Previous to his career as a newspaper reporter Albert King had been an invalid for many months. He had received injuries in the Philippine islands while in the army and had wlaked on crutches a long time after being mustered out of the service. Mr. King was enlisted in the army here as a private in the Thirty-second United States infantry in July, 1899. He sailed for the Philippines in September the same year. In the islands he became regimental sergeant major.

On the night of August 5, 1900, while the building where he was quartered was under fire, he fell down a flight of stone steps while attempting, in pajamas and cartridge belt, to get to the first floor to consult with his superior officer. He was an invalid in a Manila hospital and later at the Presidio, San Francisco. December 28, 1900, he was mustered out of service and sent to his home, 3031 Wabash avenue, Kansas City.

Mr. Kings injuries from the assault include an injured spine and a severe shock to his legs, which were so long paralyzed. The right side of his face is cut and bruised and the attending physician, Dr. J. Park Neal, feared last night that blood poisoning might result from the jagged wound in his face. His ribs on both sides are injured, but the physician had not discovered if any were fractured because the injured man was in too great pain to permit a thorough examination.


In regard to the standing of Jack Gallagher as a saloonkeeper, Commissiner Elliott H. Jones last night said:

"It was reported to the police commissioners taht Gallagher's place on East Fourth street was open on Sunday and after closing h ours. For this reason the board refused to grant him a renewal of his license to operate that saloon."

Mr. Jones was asked if he thought Gallagher a fit man to run a saloon or if he deemed him worthy of the privelge after having made such a brutal attack upon a man as he had done upon Albert King. Mr. Jones said he could not answer that question without going into the case to greater extent than he had already done.

Commissioner Jones was then asked: "If any manmakes an attack on another while walking on the street while the victim is under the impression that there is no feeling of hostility between them; if the attack be sudden and unexpected and very brutal in its nature, should such a man be granted the privelege of owning and operating a saloon?"

The commissioner refused to answer the question.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

June 7, 1908


Assistant Fire Chief Was Injured
While Trying to Spare Another.

Joseph H. Rayburn, assistant fire chief, died last night at 6:30 o'clock from injuries sustained in an accident while going to a fire May 19. Mr. Rayburn was at home for lunch, when an alarm of fire from the home of Dr. B. F. Watson, 2401 Wabash avenue, was turned in. Mr. Rayburn used his buggy in going for his meals, so the alarm was telephoned to his house, and he started to the scene of the fire. Rayburn, in driving on Wabash, collided with the cart of a by delivering papers. In attempting to avert the collision, he swerved sharply, turning his buggy over and throwing him against an iron lamp post.

He was unconscious when picked up and taken to St. Joseph's hospital. The injuries were thought not to be dangerous, but peritonitis developed later.

Mr. Rayburn lived at 3031 Prospect avenue with his wife and two sons. He was 47 years of age.

Mr. Rayburn was one of the best liked men on the fire department. He was appointed to the department and assigned to No. 8 engine company, December 21, 1886. He was promoted to a captain November 4, 1895, and placed in charge of No. 18 engine company. January 7, 1907, he was appointed sixth assistant chief, and placed in command of engine company No. 14, located at Twenty-sixth and Prospect avenue.

The funeral will be held Monday morning at 9:30 o'clock at the residence, 3031 Prospect avenue. Services will be held at the New Annunciation church, corner of Linwood and Benton boulevards, at 10 o'clock. Interment will be in Mount St. Mary's cemetery.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

May 8, 1908





Edna Sickler and Grace Kaufman
Elude the Guards and Go Visit-
ing, No One Seems to
Know Where.

If you should meet two girls, one 12 years old, light hair, blue eyes with a squint in her right eye, wearing a red calico dress and red coat, and the other 13 years old, dark hair, eyes and skin, and wearing a gray coat and dark skirt, it might be advisable, if you are not equipped with a fumigating apparatus, for you to climb a tree or jump in a well until they have passed.

Girls of this description took French leave of St. George's hospital in the East Bottoms yesterday about noon. The city's smallpox patients are quarantined there. The 12-year-old girl is named Edna Sickler. Her home is at 6415 East Fourteenth street and her mother and two small brothers, 3 and 7 years old, are still in quarantine. Grace Kaufman is the 13-year-old. Her home is at 2307 East Eighteenth street and her mother and a sister 11 years old are still at the hospital.

"The girls have been down here nine days," said Dr. George P. Pipkin, who has charge of the hospital. "Both of their cases were very light, but they are endangering the public as they left here wearing the same clothes in which they came and were not fumigated. I have given their descriptions to all the police stations and want them returned here at once."

With five other children the two girls were playing about the hospital grounds about 11 o'clock yesterday. Telling the other children that they were going up the river bank to gather flowers they disappeared. As that is a custom, nothing was thought of the incident until the girls failed to show up for dinner at 11:45 o'clock.

Fearing that some accident had happened them the mothers went in search but got no trace of them. Then the matter was reported to Dr. Pipkin who, with Morris S. Sharp, a guard, made a search in the immediate neighborhood. That, too, was fruitless. Sharp then took the wagon and drove toward town. From a man working near the Crescent elevator in the East bottoms he learned that the girls had passed there, seemingly in a great hurry to reach the Fifth street car line, just about noon. Then the matter was reported to the police.

From the mothers Dr. Pipkin learned that both girls had been given a nickel in the morning. They wanted to buy a candy at a little store nearby, they said. The doctor also learned that the girls had taken particular pains to wash up in the morning, and one of them complained that her dress was not clean.

Sharp came to the city and went to the girls' homes, but they had not shown up there. When he went to a flat near Twenty-eighth and Wabash avenue, where the Kaufman girl's father worked as janitor he was informed that Kaufman had been gone two days. Mr. and Mrs. Kaufman are separated. When informed that her husband had gone, sh said she feared that the girl was with him. The father and three sisters at the Sickler girl's home said they would inform Dr. Pipkin if Edna came home.

Men at the smallpox hospital are watched very closely, but it has never been deemed necessary to place a guard over children. They have always been given as much freedom as possible as it was known to be good for them. These two girls are the first to ever run away from the institution. The police believe the girls are still in the city and hope to land them back at the hospital today.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

April 22, 1908



W. W. Williams, Husband of the
Young Woman, Calls on the
Mother and Sets Her
Yearnings at Rest.

One woman was made happy in Kansas City yesterday. That woman was Mrs. Florence Scott, 1303 Wabash avenue, who for ten years has made a fruitless search for her daughter, Susie, given away in 1898. If all goes well she will in a few days see her daughter, now 17 years old, alive, well and happily married.

W. W. Williams, a mining engineer of Salt Lake City, called to see Mrs. Scott yesterday. He said that he had seen in The Journal where Mrs. Scott was looking for her daughter, Susie, who had been given to Mr. and Mrs. R. L Martin, then supposed to be from Maryville, Mo.

"As soon as I read the story," said Mr. Williams, "I figured out that your lost daughter was y wife. I married her in Denver fourteen months ago. She was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. R. L . Martin."

Mrs. Scott was beside herself with joy at the news. Williams told her that the Martins had given Susie a good education and had always been kind to her. He said his wife, who was 7 years old when given to the Martins, recalled her mother, often spoke of her, but could not recall her name. This, it is presumed, her foster parents kept from her.

Williams also told Mrs. Scott that he had a good home in Salt Lake City and that he and his wife were happy. He is on his way to Chicago to attend to some business, but expects to return here soon. He wired his wife last night to come on here and meet him. He intends to surprise her by introducing her to her own mother. Williams told Mrs. Scott that he wanted her to get ready to go back and live with them. At present Mrs. Scott is working as nurse at the home of J. Baker, 1303 Wabash avenue.

It was by mere chance that Williams saw the story of Mrs. Scott's search for her daughter. Sitting in his hotel yesterday he picked up a week-old paper which contained the story. The name of R. L. Martin attracted his eye and he read the story through. He at once came to the conclusion that Susie Martin had once been Susie Scott, so he sought the distressed mother and broke the news to her. Mrs. Scott called up Mrs. Lizzie Burns, police matron, who has been assisting her, and told her the good news, saying: "I guess the long search is over." Mrs. Scott says no adoption papers were ever made out for her child.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

March 5, 1908


Someone Poisoned Edward Whalen,
Bricklayer, in a Saloon.

"Send for a priest I am dying," cried Edward Whalen as he fell to the floor in front of the bar in a saloon at Nineteenth street and Troost avenue last night. As Whalen fell, he was seized with violent convulsions and the bartender, with several men who were standing around the bar, hurried to his assistance. Someone telephoned for the police ambulance, and Police Surgeon Carl V. Bates was hastened to the saloon. At the hospital it was found that Whalen had been poisoned by strychnine His body was badly bruised, bearing out the statement which Whalen made later that he had been kicked in the side and stomach.

The man told the doctors at the hospital that he had been drinking with several men in a saloon -- not at Nineteenth and Troost -- and that they got into a fight during which he was severely pummeled. Whalen said that their difficulties were soon adjusted, however, and that they went back into the saloon to have another drink.

Soon he left there and went the saloon at Nineteenth street and Troost avenue, where he ordered a drink of whisky. It was at this juncture, and before the order had been filled, that Whalen was taken violently ill and the doctor summoned.

The doctors at the city hospital think that Whalen was poisoned by the men with whom he had been drinking, but are unable to find any cause for their desire to kill him, unless it was that they harbored the hared feeling caused by the fight. Whalen was unable to give the names of any of his companions at the saloons.

Whalen is a white man, about 40 years old, and said that his home was at Twenty-Third street and Wabash avenue. He is a bricklayer.

Labels: , , , , , ,

January 31, 1908


An Independence Bridegroom Bears
Away Brands of the Cutups.

Walter Erickson of Independence, bridegroom, lost a third of his temper at the Union depot last night when the cutups marked with chalk on the back of his black overcoat.

"I don't mind their marking me," he said, "but they wet the chalk and I shall never be able to brush the marks off."

The bride was Miss Mabel Warnky, daughter of F. C. Warnky of 2424 Wabash avenue. The wedding was at the Warnky home. The couple went to Chicago last night and will ramble East from there during their honeymoon.

Labels: , , , ,

January 18, 1908


Judge Kyle Has a Session
With Wife Abusers.

"I wish I had before me this morning every man within my jurisdiction who abuses or in any manner mistreats his wife. I am just in the mood to give such men the limit. There are many more in this city and I wish they all could be apprehended," said Harry G. Kyle, police judge, yesterday morning just after he had fined three husbands $500 each.

The first one to come to bat was John Forest of 1311 1/2 Washington street. He was charged with disturbing the peace of his wife.

Frank Andrews of 417 East Eighteenth street was charged with non-support. He is a stock cutter for the Caton Printing company. Mrs. Andrews said that her husband came only only two or three nights in the week and that the rent and grocery bills were unpaid. He makes good wages. Andrews fondled his 6-year-old boy while the trial was in progress, and Judge Kyle said:

"You seem to think a lot of that boy now, but you certainly did not when you remained away from home over half the time. Five hundred dollars for you, too."

Andrews's mother and his wife both appeared against him.

In the trial of Clyde DeLapp, a bartender, charged with disturbing the peace of his wife, there was evidence hinting that an abortive attempt had been made to railroad Mrs. Helen DeLapp, the wife, to an asylum.

The DeLapps lived at 2625 Wabash avenue when most of the trouble occurred. After Mrs. DeLapp left her husband, on January 7, however, she had been staying with Mrs. R. A. Shiras at 1406 East Tenth street. Mrs. DeLapp's testimony, which was corroborated by Mrs. Shiras and by Mrs. J. H. Morse of 2622 Wabash avenue, was to the effect that DeLapp had dragged her from her home by her hair, choked her and beaten her.

Mrs. DeLapp said that an effort had been made to send her to an asylum by the certificate of two doctors, only one of whom she had ever seen, and that one had not examined her as to her sanity. DeLapp was fined $500.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

November 27, 1907


Pearl Smith's Tormentor Says He Is
Going Insane.

Clay Fulton was indicted by the criminal court grand jury yesterday for assault with intent to kill upon the story told the jury by Miss Pearl Smith, daughter of Dr. E. O. Smith of 212-14 Wabash avenue, whom Fulton compelled to walk twelve blocks with him Friday night at the point of a revolver.

Fulton, who is now in the county jail, claims that he is on the verge of insanity from smoking cigarettes. Dr. Smith says that an attempt will be made to have Fulton declared insane and confined in the asylum at St. Joseph.

"I have heard that insanity runs in the family," said Dr. Smith. "The young man's father died in an insane asylum."

Miss Smith is a striking looking young girl with abundant blond hair and deep blue eyes. She is slight in figure and appears to be little more than a child. She shuddered when she spoke of the experience.

"I hardly knew what to do when Mr. Fulton pointed a revolver in my face and told me to come with him at once to be married," she said. "I was so excited that it seems wonderful to me that I had strength enough to accompany him for that long, long walk. I am still nervous about it."

Labels: , , , , ,

November 26, 1907





Clay Fulton, the Lover, Is Arrested,
and His Sanity Is to Be Investi-
gated -- He Is a Printer and
Has Had Trouble.

Through fear of immediate death from a pistol in the hands of a half-crazed suitor, Miss Pearl Smit, daughter of Dr. E. O. Smith, 212-14 Wabash avenue, and well known in local society, was compelled to leave her father's home and walk twelve blocks in the cold of last Friday night before an opportunity of escape presented itself. Even then she was forced to seek refuge in a stable and hid in a wagon for over an hour lest the defeated suitor should be in hiding outside and shoot her upon sight. Clay Fulton, the man in the case, has been placed under arrest and has admitted to police his share of the weird affair.

The young woman was for two days prostrated from the nervous shock, but recovered sufficiently yesterday to tell of the remarkable experience she had undergone. In the presence of her father, Dr. E. O. Smith, she told the story graphically too newspaper men.

Fulton and the girl had been acquainted for several years. The young man had repeatedly paid court to her. Finding his advances were not encouraged, it appears that he brooded over the matter and Friday night determined to take things into his own hands. He purchased a revolver in the afternoon, and that night went to the girl's home without warning her in advance of his intended visit.

The home of Dr. Smith is a large double house fronting upon Wabash avenue. One side of it is the family residence, while the other is used by the physician as his office. When Fulton appeared the girl was in the office, while her family were in the residence side of the house. The man rang at the office door and Miss Smith went to let the visitor in.


According to her story, she did not know it was Fulton until he was incide the reception hall. He was wearing a heavy overcoat, with his hat drawn down over his eyes. No sooner had he entered, she avers, than he drew his revolver and pointed it at her.

"Don't make any noise," he is said to have exclaimed, "or I will shoot. I am tired of being put off and I want you to go with me. I want you to marry me. If you make any alarm I shall kill you."

"I was too astonished and scared to scream," said Miss Smith last night. "I believed he was desperate and would do as he said. So I tried to temporize. I told him I had no wraps, and asked him to let me get a cloak. He was excited and refused to allow me out of his sight. I thought it best to go along wiht him and take my chance to escape. I believe he would have killed me if I had cried out there in the house So I went out with him."

"I was wearing only a light house dress, which had short sleeves, and a thin pair of shoes. It was pretty cold out on the stret, and I began ot suffer almost as soon as I was outside. When I wished to go into some place and get warm, the man refused me, saying he would not let me go into any place in that part of town where he was unknown for fear of outside interference. He talked wildly about my refusing to marry him, and said I would have to marry hinm right away. He warned me repeatedly not to make any outcry. We walked on Wabash avenue to Ninth street and then turned west. I kept asking him to let me go into some place and get warm, but he insisted that I wait until we should get to Twelfth and Paseo, where, he said, he was known. At Garfield, I persuaded him to go into a restaurant and telephone to his sister to bring me some wraps, telling him I would be gettin gwarm while he did the talking As son as I saw him busy with the telephone I ran out of the place and went to Newcomer's undertaking rooms.


There I found David Newcomer and Mr. P. M. McDaniel, whom I knew, and I asked them to hide me. I felt sure the man would come looking for me and would shoot me if he found me. The men at Newcomer's led me into a shed adjoining the office and I climbed up into a wagon and lay there until I was sure there would be no further danger. Then I went back home in a carriage. I think I must have been in there an hour, and," smilingly, "it was the longest hour I ever passed."

Immediately the police were notified of the affair and Detectives Oldham and Boyle were detailed upon the case. Yesterday they arrested young Fulton and locked him up in a cell at police headquarters. When questioned about the matter by Captain Whitsett last night, he gave a rambling, incoherent account of troubles which led him to the action he took Fridaynight. He frankly admitted that he had threatened Miss Smith with a revolver. Asked if he would have shot her had she refused to accompany him, he answered simply: "I do not know."

Young Fulton lives with his mother and two sisters at 1438 East Fourteenth street. He has been employed as a printer in a number of shops about town. About three weeks ago he left the employ of Hallman's printing establishment in the Gumbel building at Eighth and Walnut streets. It is the theory of the police that the man has been brooding over troubles, real or imaginary, until his mind has become temporarily disordered and that his strange deed of Friday night was the result. An attempt will be made by the girl's father, Dr. Smith, to have his sanity investigated today.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

November 25, 1907




While the Rector Was Attending a
Birthday Party Loot to the
Value of $1,777 Was
Carried Away.

The home of the Rev. E. B. Woodruff, rector of St. George's Church Episcopalian, Thirty-second and Troost, was entered by a burglar Saturday night while the pastor and his family attended a birthday supper party. The Rev. Mr. Woodruff lives at 3228 Campbell street. He worked in his study until nearly 6 o'clock on yesterday's sermon, "Gather in the Fragments that Remain." Then the family left for the home of J. H. Cunningham, 4118 Wabash avenue.

Soon after the family departed from the house the burglar entered. He at once turned the rectors study into a clearing house for family plate and church communion service. He first filled the rector's empty cigar case with some of the rector's choice stogies and then he arranged the silverware, along with the cigars, that he might select what he wished. The burglar selected the plate with care, casting away a dozen silver spoons.


Then the burglar gathered in the fragments that remained and packed them away in the rector's suit case. The suit case would not hold over $1,000 worth of silverware, and a red laundry bag was selected to behold the balance. The entire value of the ware he selected was valued about $1,777. With $83.20 in money which he found in the study the burglar went downstairs.

It was past midnight when the rector and his family came home. The screen door was ajar and this Rev. Woodruff at once detected that a "jimmie" had been used on his front door. While the rector lighted the house his wife hurried to an upstairs closet where the silver chest was kept. The chest was missing, and Mrs. Woodruff then ran into her husband's study. There she found the chest and saw the rejected spoons along the floor. She called and Rev. Woodruff hurried to her. Hardly had he reached his study when he heard tapping below, and realized that his entrapped burglar was just making his escape from the house.


"I just don't see how I can preach on the subject selected," said the rector after the robbery. He did, nevertheless, taking his text from the gospel of St. John, sixth chapter, twelfth verse.

Labels: , , , , ,

October 11, 1907


Remarkable Habit of Man for Whom
Police are Caring.

Patrolman Hall found a man sitting on the sidewalk at Twenty-eighth street and Wabash avenue late Wednesday night. He was very weak and incoherent and the policeman sent him to headquarters for "safe keeping."

When the "safe keepers" were released early yesterday morning this man, who gave the name of Calvin A. Miller, 40 years old, was still unable to take care of himself. Dr. W. L. Gist examined him,, and Miller said he had been chewing poke root.

"I gathered the herb myself," said Miller feebly, "and became so fond of it that it became a necessity. It has undermined my constitution so that I can not work any more."

Miller had been acting as janitor of the flats near where he was found, but the eating of poke root had so incapacitated him that he could not work. Although only 40 years old, he looks and acts like an aged, broken down man. Dr. Gist sent him to the general hospital for treatment.

"I have seen and heard of many persons who use drugs," said the doctor, "but this is the first case of a person being addicted to poke root that I ever heard of."

The pokeberry plant is a common herb, of the genus phytolacca. It is non-poisonous, possessing emetic and diuretic properties. The tincture made from the root is is extensively used in the treatment of disease. Poke root may be found in profusion in all parts of Jackson county.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

July 24, 1907


Woman, Whose Husband Was Absent
Three Weeks, Sues.

Bertha Marshall, 2114 Wabash avenue, filed suit for divorce yesterday against John W. Marshall. She alleges that for the past four months he has spent an average of three nights a week away from home. She asks for an injunction to prevent him from coming home at all.

She asks for the custody of their two little children and for alimony. Marshall is employed by the Hughes-Purcell Paint Company.

Labels: ,

July 20, 1907



Voices Are Getting Weak, but P. H.
Harlan and Cliff Hogan Are
Sticking to Abstinence ---
Cigarettes, Too.

"I've lost twenty-four pounds in just four days," announced P. H. Harlan, the fasting undertaker, as he stepped from the scales last night, and Cliff Hogan, who had a day and a half the start of me, has lost only fourteen pounds."

"It was a mistake to say I wasn't hungry up to yesterday, for I was, but that was my third day and with it my hunger really left me, as it did with Hogan and with Dr. I. J. Eales, the Bellville, Ill., physician, whose fourty day fast inspired us to start."

Dozens of telephone messages, picture postcards and letters are pouring in on the two fasting neighbors at Fifteenth and McGee streets. Tempting invitations to dine on spring chicken and inch-and-a-half sirloins tumble out of the mail along with serious inquiries from other fat men who are anxious to see the experiment kept up and who will themselves try it if found practical.

Clifford Hogan, who manages the Crescent Automobile Company, was not at his place of business until evening, for he had worked all day at moving his household goods from Mount Washington to Twelfth street and Wabash avenue. He found the unusually hard work on a very empty stomach did not exhaust him. But his voice was weak, and so was Harlan's, though the latter says his wind is better than it has been for years.

Harlan, whose hands and one leg have daily become puffed up, says that since the second day of his fast they have not swollen. He did a great deal of walking yesterday and is so delighted with the results that he may not stop short of the month limit set by Dr. Eales.

Harlan, too, has the title of doctor, having been a practicing dentist in Chicago and Wichita until the size of his belt became so great that he could not get near enough to his dental chair to reach the patients. Then he returned to the undertaking employment, where the patients are not so nervous, anyway.

When Harlan banteringly discusses with Hogan the length of their fast, the automobile man recounts that a week's fast was all he promised himself for sure, and after the first two days he really planned that all the money he saved on meals for the week he would spend for Sunday dinner in breaking the fast.

But he thinks he will probably stay with Harlan on a two or three weeks' fast. He is remembering now that while he was soldiering in the Philippines and ill he lived for five weeks on malted milk alone, and possibly he has visions of tapering off from actual fasting on such a diet, but his running mate stands firm for absolutely no nutriment.

"My second and third days," said Hogan, last night, "every time I passed a restaurant or smelled food, I had a sensation in my jaws as of having mumps. But that left when my hunger disappeared.

"I'm using the fast to break the cigarette habit, too, which was fastened on me. I have switched to cigars, which I could not enjoy before. I always inhaled cigarettes, and I know that if I did now it would make me sick. I suppose that proves that I'm getting down from abnormal to normal, and from depravity to healthfulness.

"Having been reared on a farm, I know that fat in a hog's body is merely the storage of nutriment for use in case a period comes in which no food is available. Then a hog can live off of his fat without injury or inconvenience. And so I see no reason why Harlan and I should not live to advantage for a time off our surplus supply."

Labels: , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory