Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

January 10, 1910


Father Dead, Mother Away, Boy
Hurt Fatally Playing Indian.

While playing with some other boys in a vacant foundry at Nicholson and Prospect avenues yesterday morning at 11:30 o'clock, Eddie Campbell, aged 8 years, was so badly burned that he died four hours later at the University hospital.

The lad was attempting to make an Indian fire with some logs, and as the timber would not ignite readily he poured some kerosene on the heated portion. An explosion followed and young Campbell's clothes caught on fire. His playmates made frantic efforts to extinguish the flames, but did not succeed until after the boy had sustained fatal injuries. The body was taken to Stewart's undertaking rooms.

Eddie Campbell had been living with an uncle, Albert Campbell, at 728 North Chestnut street, for some time. His father is dead and his mother, Stella S. Campbell, who is an actress, is touring Michigan.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

November 16, 1909


Burglar One Who Had Been Wait-
ing on Porch With Headache.

The noise of a bureau drawer being opened awakened Dr. Frances Henry about 3 o'clock yesterday morning in her home, 2203 Brooklyn avenue. She hurried down stairs just in time to see a man running down the hall and escape through the open door.

An examination of the bureau showed that nothing had been taken, although $100 worth of silver plate would have been gone had not Dr. Henry been awakened.

She had noticed the man earlier in the evening on the front porch when she returned from the University hospital, where she had attended a patient.

"I want to see a doctor," the man apologized. "My head hurts me."

Labels: , , ,

July 11, 1909



Was Second White Child Born Here.
Became Indian Trader in Early
Days -- Funeral Not
J. C. Evans, Kansas City Pioneer.

J. C. Evans, 76 years of age, who was the second white child to be born in Kansas City, died at the University hospital yesterday afternoon as the result of an operation. Mr. Evans had been ill but a short while.

On Dundee place, and on the very highest point of that place, J. C. Evans was born. All around the house was farm land and wilderness, and off to the south and west was the thriving town of Westport. For almost twenty-one years Mr. Evans lived in the house on Dundee's place and did his share towards the building of the greater city upon which he looked with utmost pride in the last years of his life.

Mr. Evans, in those early days, was a trader by occupation, and many were the trips which he took over the old Santa Fe trail down into the Southwest to barter and trade with Indians. With the Indians around Kansas City he had many dealings and was looked upon as a fair man by them.

Shortly before the civil war Mr. Evans married Miss Elizabeth Campbell of Clay county. Within a few months the couple moved from Kansas City to a farm in Clay County, where Mr. Evans had lived until his death.

In 1880 Mrs. Evans died, and four years later Mr. Evans married Miss Sarah M. Plummer of Paris, France, whom he met while she was visiting in this country. Mrs. Evans survives her husband.

Among the interesting facts surrounding the long life of Mr. Evans are two most prominent. It was he who surveyed the first plat of Kansas City, and it was he who bought the first town lot.

Mr. Evans was the son of William B. and Amelia McGee Evans, both of whom were prominent in the pioneer days of Kansas City. Mrs. Evans, his mother, was one of the old Westport McGees.

Eight children survive: Mrs. S. P. Stowers, Millersburg, Mo.; Paul Evans, Mountain Grove, Mo.; Amelia Evans, Clay county; Mrs. J. H. Garth, 1035 Monroe avenue, Kansas City; Mrs. W. R. Soper, Independence, Mo.; Mrs. J. C. McGee, Texarkana, Tex.; J. C. Evans, Jr., Oldham, Mo., and J. M. Evans of Clay county. In Kansas City Mr. Evans has a brother, M. M. Evans, Twenty-fifth and Troost, and a sister, Mrs. William Vineyard, 1475 Independence avenue.

Owing to the condition of the railroad service no definite time has been set for the funeral. It will be held from the First Christian church. Rev. F. V. Lose of Liberty, Mo., will officiate. Burial is to be in the family lot at Elmwood cemetery.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

June 21, 1909



Scientific World Profits Through
the Research of a Former Kan-
sas City Physician, Dr.
Thomas Bennet.

An article in the last issue of the Medical Record calling attention to a remarkable series of experiments upon human beings in New York city whereby seventeen persons whose heart action had stopped, were resuscitated by manipulating the heart with the hand to induce artificial contraction of the ventricles, recalls to physicians that the incept of the idea at the bottom of this experiment is due to Dr. Thomas Bennet of New York, who performed the same experiment upon a hog while in this city twelve years ago.

Dr. Bennet, who was at that time professor of anesthetics in the University Medical college, was one of the first men to specialize in this branch of science. He is now ranked as one of the leading anesthetists in the world and is head of that department in the Roosevelt hospital, New York city.


When he was a practitioner here, Dr. Bennet was on the visiting staff of St. Margaret's hospital, Kansas city, Kas. The problem of prolonging life by applications to the heart interested him and he performed several minor experiments upon small animals, which convinced him that the correct method to induce normal heart action was to massage the upper portion of the thoracic cavity so as to induce contractions at the same rate at which the heart usually works. In order to test this idea he procured a hog after some difficulty, killed it, and then after heart action had ceased for several seconds, made an incision in the left breast, inserted his hand and massaged the heart rythmatically. After a few seconds the animal respired and showed other signs of life. Shortly after this Dr. Bennet announced his intention to specialize in the field of anesthetics and has since followed the fruitful field of inquiry which he opened up.


Four years ago an experiment of the same kind was performed by leading Jackson county surgeons upon a dog in the clinic of the University Medical college. In this case it was four minutes after heart action had ceased that the incision was made and artificial action of the ventricles induced. The animal was brought back to life, but as soon as the pumping with the hand ceased the body became lifeless again.

Similar experiments have been performed at Johns Hopkins university in the last decade, but none of them antedate Dr. Bennet's experiment with the hog at St. Margaret's hospital. Although his experiment was not a complete success, his friends claim that he conceived the idea before any others.

The Medical Record declares that nine of the persons who were resuscitated in this manner in the New York hospitals recently are still living, and that seventeen of the forty-five operated upon after heart action had ceased were brought back temporarily, at least. In the New York experiments not only is artificial heart action brought about by inserting the hand into the breast and massaging the upper half of the organ, but artificial respiration is induced and the other parts of the body are moved by the surgeons at the same time.

To what extent these experiments may be carried, local physicians are unwilling to venture an opinion.

Labels: , , , ,

June 18, 1909

MORE THAN $2,000


City Council in Special Session
Offers $1,000 -- Mayor and Other
City Officials Pledge $100
Each for Him.

Rewards aggregating more than $2,000 have been offered for the arrest and conviction of the thug or thugs who slugged Miss Anna Lee Owen, official stenographer for the police board investigation, in her office in the Dwight building Wednesday night, and stole shorthand notes of the important testimony relative to saloons, gambling and the police force, which she was transcribing.

Both houses of the council, in extraordinary session at noon yesterday, by resolution authorized a reward of $1,000, and ten officials personally, following the example of Mayor Crittenden, offered $100 each. Governor Hadley, for the state, announces a reward of $300. The owners of the Dwight building and John T. Wayland, an attorney, offered $100 each.

While Miss Owen was much improved yesterday, she was still carefully guarded at the University hospital., and visitors were not admitted to the sick room. She was unable to throw any more light upon the affair than she had the evening of the brutal attack. That the man who slugged her with a "black jack" wore dark clothes was the nearest to a description that she could supply.

Every detective and policeman in the department was at work on the case yesterday, having been detailed especially to search for clues which would lead to the apprehension of the guilty person. Such a cowardly attack was made upon Miss Owen by the unknown thug aroused every police officer and they were working willingly overtime. The large reward which has been offered through various sources also caused the detectives and uniform men to do their best to secure sufficient evidence to warrant an arrest.

Labels: , , , , , ,

June 18, 1909


Martin Hansen of Kansas City, Kas.,
Probably Fatally Injured.

Martin Hansen, 14 years old, an office boy for the Meyer Jewelry Company in the Boley building, was caught between the freight elevator in that building and the wall of the shaft yesterday afternoon, and probably fatally injured.

Ray Heath, employed by the company, was running the elevator, which is controlled by a single steel cable. As Heath passed the fifth floor, Hansen tried to board the elevator, but missed. Hanging by his hands, he was dragged up along the shaft between the fifth and sixth stories. So tightly was Hansen wedged in between the elevator and the shaft wall, that a hole had to be chopped in the wall before he could be released.

He was taken to the University hospital, where it was said last night he is suffering from internal injuries. Hansen lives with his parents at 1936 North Sixth street, Kansas City, Kas.

Labels: , , , ,

June 17, 1909





Young Woman Was Alone in Her
Office When Murderous Assailant
Tried to Crush Her Skull With a
Black Jack -- Commissioner Marks
Orders Men Who May Be Attacked
to Shoot to Kill -- Governor Had-
ley May Offer Reward Today.
Girl Struck Down by Unknown Assailants.

Struck on the left temple with a "black jack" by an unknown thug, Miss Anna Lee Owen, a public stenographer who has been taking the evidence in the investigation held by the police commissioners, was knocked unconscious while at work in her office, 605 Dwight building, last night and a part of her stenographic notes stolen. She was taken to the University hospital immediately after being found by Hugh E. Martin. She is said to be in critical condition. Her skull probably is fractured.

Mayor Crittenden personally offers a reward of $100 for the arrest of her assailant.

The attack upon Miss Owen was made some time between 6:30 and 7:15 o'clock, while she was alone in her office. She regained consciousness before being removed to the hospital, but was not able to furnish a description of her assailant.


Miss Owen's office is separated from the hall by a reception room. When Mr. Martin left the office at 6:30, she was at work on the notes. The hall door was closed and also the door leading from the reception room into her office. Mr. Martin returned to his office at 7:15. Opening the door into Miss Owen's office, he found her huddled on the floor. Believing she had fainted from overwork, he lifted her head and was startled by her groaning as if injured.

Liquor which was kept in another office in the suite was secured by Martin and he rubbed the young woman's head with it. She partially revived and exclaimed, "Mother, they have taken my notes." Dr. Eugene Carbaugh was summoned to attend Miss Owen, and Commissioner Thomas R. Marks was notified. He informed the police and then took personal charge of the case.

Cowardly Assault by a Brutal Thug With a Black Jack.

Inspector of Detectives Edward P. Boyle carried Miss Owen down stairs in the elevator and placing her in an automobile assisted Dr. Carbaugh in supporting her during the drive to the hospital.

From what little Miss Owen could tell last night she was working over her typewriter when she heard a step behind her chair. Knowing that the men who had offices in the suite had gone home, she looked up to see who it was. She had not heard the outer doors opened. Just as she secured a glance of the figure of a man, she was struck down.


The stenographic notes and transcripts which she had made during the trials and investigations before the police commissioners were always carefully guarded by Miss Owen, who was afraid an attempt would be made to steal them. The notes were securely locked up in the office vault each night. When an investigation was made after she regained consciousness it was found that a large part of her notes were missing.

Just what notes were secured is not known. It was said that the evidence given late yesterday afternoon in the trial of the case against the conduct of the saloon conducted by James Redmond, 1205 Walnut street, were not secured. But it is believed that a large part of the testimony in the other investigations was lost.


Through the inability of Miss Owen to assist the police by furnishing a description of her assailant, and also the failure of the police to elicit any information from the elevator operators was impossible to secure a clue to work on. No one could be found last night who had seen or noticed any stranger loitering in the halls or around the office in the Dwight building.

When Commissioner Marks arrived he ordered that the police make every possible effort to capture the thug, and until midnight he was actively engaged in directing the police in their work. The police were not notified of the assault until 8 o'clock, and inspector Boyle dispatched e very officer in the headquarters at the time to the scene. He and Captain Whitsett followed and were closeted with the commissioner for some time. Every detective in the city was called in and placed at work upon the case. The the substations were notified, and in all over 150 police officers were engaged in searching the city.


After the assault last night Commissioner Marks informed the police that he had been followed and shadowed by two men since he began his activity in the police shakeup. Not only has Mr. Marks been trailed, but Miss Owen has been dogged by two men to and from her work in the city. She was not positive of this surveillance, according to Mr. Marks, until Tuesday evening after the adjournment of the police board.

Intuitively feeling that she was being followed, Miss Owen boarded a Twelfth street car and transferred to a Northeast car. Arriving at Budd park she left the car and entered the park. All of this time the suspected man was in close proximity. At the park he disappeared for a time but was on hand when she again got on a car to ride into the city. She went to the Dwight building after leaving the car and while on the sixth floor saw the man in the hall. She then went to the office of Mr. Marks and informed him of what she had done.


Telling her to hold a handkerchief to her mouth if she saw the man on the street, Mr. Marks went down and walked around. He found a man on the street who appeared to fit the description of the man who had bothered Miss Owen, but she denied he was the one. The police were not notified at any time previous to the assault that either Miss Owen or the commissioner were being shadowed.

On another occasion it is said Miss Owen was frightened by men who followed her about the streets and went to the Coates house for the night, instead of returning to her home. While there, it was said, she received a telephone message from some man who refused to give his name. The purport of the telephone message was that there was a man in an adjoining room who intended her harm.

The mother of Miss Owen, who visited her daughter at the University hospital last night in answer to questions, said that her daughter had never mentioned to anyone at home that she was annoyed by anyone or that she had ever been followed.

On orders received from Mr. Marks, the hospital authorities refused to allow anyone to see Miss Owen. Strict orders were issued to not allow anyone but the nurse, her physicians and mother to visit the young woman. A special nurse was secured for her and the police commissioner's orders included a special diet for Miss Owen.

Several hours after the assault Dr. A. H. Cordler was called in consultation and the patient was pronounced to be in a very critical condition.


The Dwight building was thoroughly searched by the police. Every street car in the city, and especially those leading into the suburbs, was being ridden by a police officer all night long. The outgoing trains were watched, although the police believed that the man would endeavor to leave the city by street car.

Inspector Boyle said last night that it was his opinion that the attack upon Miss Owen, and the theft of the stenographic notes, was done by an imported thug. If it was accomplished by home talent the inspector expressed the opinion that it was done on the spur of the moment to cover, if possible, damaging testimony given during the recent investigation. If the thug was imported for the purpose, St. Louis is probably the city, Inspector Boyle said, and his belief is also that of Captain Whitsett and Chief of Police Frank Snow.

Two men who have already figured in the police investigation and the saloon trials were ordered arrested and locked up of investigation. The theory of the police is that while these two men did not do the work they could give valuable information as to who did. But the men had not been found at 1 o'clock this morning. Captain Whitsett said he believed that the man would be arrested before twenty-four hours had passed. Acting Chief Snow said the man would be in custody by morning and inspector Boyle was positive he could not escape arrest.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

April 12, 1909


F. A. Tewksbury Injured While
Taking Car to the Barn.

While taking a Rockhill car to the Troost avenue barn, at Forty-ninth and Harrison streets, last night, F. A. Tweksbury, the conductor, leaned out from the car, and his head came in contact with an electric light pole with such force that his skull was fractured.

The ambulance from the Walnut street police station removed the injured man to the University hospital, where he is in a precarious condition. Tewksbury lives at 1512 Washington street.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

March 26, 1909


Mary Costello, Mayor Crittenden’s
Stenographer, Could Not Tell
Physicians Her Name.

Who Couldn't Remember Her Name.

A stylishly dressed young woman startled the attendants of the University hospital about 1:30 o’clock yesterday afternoon when she walked into the reception room and calmly said:

“Please tell me my name.”

A nurse, upon hearing the odd request, looked closely at the young woman and noticed a peculiar expression in her eyes. The attendants sent her to the emergency hospital, where Dr. H. L. Hess and Dr. F. R. Berry questioned her. To every question the girl returned one monotonous answer:

“I wish I knew my name.”

It was nearly 7 o’clock before the girl’s mind began to become partially clear and she answered several questions in a rational manner. A gold hat pin which Dr. Hess held out for her inspection seemed to revive a chain of thought.

“Why, a Mrs. Crittenden gave that to me,” she said.

The clue was sufficient for the physician, who called up the mayor’s home. Mrs. Crittenden was asked if she had ever given a hat pin to a young woman.

“I remember giving one to Mary Costello, Mr. Crittenden’s stenographer,” she replied.

The girl looked up in amazement when her name was called.

“Why, that’s my name!” she exclaimed. “How did you know?”

When William P. Costello, her uncle, was notified he took Miss Costello home. The girl, who is 19 years old, left Mr. Crittenden’s real estate office in the Sheldley building last Monday, as she had been taken ill with the grippe. While the family was at lunch yesterday noon she slipped out of the home at 1410 Belleview avenue and her relatives supposed that she had felt well enough to visit friends. The physicians say her present mental condition is only temporary.

Labels: , , , , ,

March 17, 1909



Limousine Struck by Twelfth Street
Car and Five Occupants Hurled
to Ground -- One Seriously
Injured -- Owner in Paris.

An expensive motor car belonging to William Kenefick, 1485 Independence avenue, was demolished yesterday afternoon at 2:30 by being struck by a street car at Twelfth and Oak streets. Daisy West, 1333 McGee street, who was in the limousine, was seriously injured. The machine was driven by William Tate, a trusted employe of Mr. Kenefick, who is now in Paris. Mr. Kenefick is president of the Missouri, Oklahoma & Gulf railroad.

In the machine at the time of the accident were four friends of Tate' whom he was entertaining.


Taking the machine from the garage yesterday afternoon Tate invited four friends, two men and two women, to go for a ride over the boulevards. Leaving Miss West's home on McGee street, the driver steered the machine over to Oak and started north on that street. As he was crossing the street car tracks on Twelfth street a car going west struck the machine on the right side, just in front of the rear wheels. The machine was thrown over on the side and skidded across the street and onto the sidewalk on the northwest corner of Oak street.

Those persons riding inside of the limousine were thrown from their seats and besides being shaken up were cut by broken glass. Miss West was the only one seriously injured, and she was carried into Hucke's drug store, on the corner, and cared for until an ambulance from Eylar's Livery Company conveyed her to the University hospital.


Dr. George O. Todd was summoned and found the woman to be suffering from a severe wrench of the back, several scalp wounds and possible internal injuries. She was later taken to her home. At the hospital she gave the name of Davis.

The Admiral Auto Livery Company righted the maching and then towed it to the Pope-Hartford Auto Sales Company, 1925 Grand avenue. At the machine shop it was said that the machine was a total wreck and not worth repairing. Thee top was broken and cracked in various places and badly sprung.


Mrs. J. W. H offman, 314 West Armour boulevard, a daughter of Mr. Kenefick, last night said that the chauffeur had not informed her of the accident. She said Tate had not been granted permission to use the car and had never before been known to use it secretly. The machine was a Pope-Toledo valued at $6,500 and was about a year old, she said. On Saturday the motor was taken out of the repair shop.

Tate, who is about 27 years old, has worked for Mr. Kenefick since he was 13 years old. Those in the machine at the time of the accident refused to talk aobut it or give their names. Patrolman Patrick Thornton, who walks on Twelfth street, arrived a few minutes after the accident but when the interested parties once refused to talk the patrolman ceased activity. He allowed them to go without getting any of the details as to who they were.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

February 9, 1909



Will Resume Tour in Kansas city
February 28 -- Star Who Has
Been Seen in Many
Famous Roles.
Miss Blanche Walsh, Star of Stage

Blanche Walsh, one of the most prominent of feminine stars on the American stage, is ill at the University hospital and her engagements for the next two weeks, which includes her St. Louis date, have been cancelled.

Miss Walsh, according to the hospital physicians, is suffering from an enlarged liver, and while she intended to come to Kansas City and simply rest for a week, her physician advised her to go to a hospital and remain there for treatment.

The hospital authorities say that Miss Walsh's condition shows no dangerous symptoms, and while an operation may be necessary, it is not probable that surgery will be resorted to.

Miss Walsh came to Kansas City from Joplin on a special train yesterday morning. She first went to the Baltimore hotel, intending to stay there, but the physician advised her to go to the hospital, where her recovery would be more rapid and more certain.

Hugh C. Brady, Miss Walsh's acting manager, said last night:

"Miss Walsh's tour is booked up until the middle of June. With the exception of these two weeks the remaining dates of her tour will be filled. She will resume her work in Kansas City, opening at the Willis Wood for a week's engagement February 28.

"Miss Walsh has been under a severe strain all season, and while her ailment is one of long standing, she has never before taken it seriously. It was only yesterday, when we were within hailing distance of Kansas City, that she decided to cancel two weeks' time, come here and consult a physician and take the rest which she thought she needed.

"She was greatly disturbed over the erroneous report that she intended to end her tour in this city. Such a thing was never contemplated."

Miss Walsh has appeared in many roles in Kansas City theaters. Her earlier successes here, of course, were in such famous plays as "Cleopatra," "Gismonda," "Fedora," "Tosea" and other great plays, in the star parts which she succeeded Fanny Davenport.

Labels: , , , , ,

March 4, 1908


At Thirteenth and Grand Avenue,
and Motorman Was Injured.

In a street car collision last night that wrecked the front vestibule of a southbound Fifteenth street car, Clarence Oliver, motorman, was stunned and, it was thought at the time, seriously injured.

The accident happened about 9:30 o'clock at Thirteenth street and Grand avenue. Oliver's car was going south on Grand avenue across the switches that turn into Thirteenth street when a northbound Westport car "split" the switch. That is, the switch refused to work, and the car that should have continued straight north on Grand avenue took the curve, and was thrown across the front of the Fifteenth street car. Dr. Will Inen, who attended Oliver at the University hospital, believe he sustained a slight concussion of the brain. Oliver lives with his family at 1803 Jackson avenue. None of the passengers on the car was hurt.

Labels: , , , , , ,

December 3, 1907


Physicians Say Blood Poisoning Probably
Was the Cause -- Groves Was Shot
in the Right Hip a Week Ago by
R. C. Horne, Editorial Writer.

H. J. Groves, who was shot by General R. C. Horne, an editorial writer, in the office of the Kansas City Post, a week ago Saturday, died at 7:45 o'clock yesterday morning in the German hospital. Dr. B. L. Sulzbacher, the attending physician, said that death was due to blood poisoning, supposedly from particles of clothing carried into the wound by the bullet. The bullet entered the right hip and had been recovered at the time of death.

A report was circulated to-day that other causes were responsible for the death, but this was denied by Dr. Sulzbacher.


Mr. Groves had shown signs of improvement daily since the shooting, according to reports from the hospital. The first symptoms of blood poisoning, the doctor said, were noticed Sunday afternoon, when the wounded man began to fail rapidly. He rallied about 10 o'clock Sunday night, but the revival was brief. After that he continued to sink.

O. D. Woodward, who was shot and severely wounded by Horne at the same time was sufficiently recovered yesterday to be removed from the University hospital to his home.

Mr. Groves was born near Lexington, Mo., 36 years ago. In 1893 he married Mary Oldham, daughter of the president of the Christian college at Columbia. He left a widow and six brothers, two of whom, Frank S. and John G. Groves, live in this city.


Isaac B. Kimbrell, prosecuting attorney, instructed the county marshal this morning to arrest General Horne and hold him without bond. Herman Weisflog, chief deputy marshal, telephoned to the sheriff in Marshall, Mo., to arrest General Horne. Soon afterward General Horne telephoned to the deputy marshal telling him that he would return to Kansas City on the earliest train, arriving on the Chicago and Alton "flyer" at 5:15 o'clock this afternoon. The deputy marshal will meet him at the train and take him to the county jail. The prosecuting attorney said that an information charging murder in the first degree will be filed in the criminal court.

Labels: , , , , ,

September 24, 1907



He is Assistant Pastor of St. Mary's
Church, Independence, and Com-
plaintant Is Mrs. Beatrice M.

Edward P. Fitzgerald, assistant pastor of St. Mary's Catholic church in Independence, was sued for $50,000 damages yesterday in the circuit court at Kansas City by Mrs. Beatrice M. Sotomayor, a Spanish woman. She has charge of the nurses' quarters at the University hospital, 1005 Campbell street. Mrs. Sotomayor alleges that the priest slapped her on the evening of June 9, 1907, at the parish house in Independence. Both Mrs. Sotomayor and the priest last night refused to be interviewed.

Mrs. Sotomayor, in her petition, says that ever since she came to Kansas City seven years ago, she has been a frequent visitor at the convent conducted by the Sisters of Mercy adjoining St. Mary's church and the parish house in Independence, and that she has always been on friendly terms with the sisters.

Some old quarrel, about which both the priest and Mrs. Sotomayor refuse to talk, came up for discussion at the convent on the evening of June 9, and the sister urged Mrs. Sotomayor, so she asserts in her petition, to go the the priest and apologize. The petition then goes on to recite that after she knocked at the door of the parish house, Father Fitzgerald invited her into the house, shut the door and told her that the only way she would be forgiven was to permit him to throw over her a white sheet, put a bell around her neck and lead her into the church where a large congregation was assembled and be shown to the church."

She refused to do this, the petition cites, but offered to go before the sisters and ask forgiveness. Then, asserts the woman, "he became angry and commanded her to go down upon her knees before him." This, she says, she refused to do, and then, she alleges, he struck her on both cheeks with his hand.

Mrs. Sotomayor was born in Spain, but has lived most of her life in Mexico. She came to Kansas City seven years ago and for a time gave private lessons in Spanish. For the past four years she has been at the University hospital, in charge of the nurses' quarters. She is a little woman, not over five feet three inches in height, with jet black hair and eyes. She talks with a Spanish accent. She appears to be about 40 years of age.

"I have not read the allegations made by Mrs. Sotomayor in the suit she has brought against me, and at this time I prefer to make no statement," said Rev. Edward Fitzgerald. He has been pastor of St. Mary's church for three months. The priest makes his home at that of the vicar general, Rev. Father Thomas Fitzgerald, but they are not related.

Vicar General Fitzgerald said that personally he knew nothing of the assaults charged by the woman, whom he was disposed to believe was not responsible for all she says or does.

"I form this impression," said the vicar general, "from her peculiar actions of the past. She was a persistent visitor at the convent and seemed to be very much attached to one of the sisters. Mrs. Sotomayor had an apparently uncontrollable passion for visiting the convent during the class hours, and her presence had a demoralizing influence on the studies of the pupils. The annoyance eventually became intolerable, and orders were given that the woman should abandon her visits. If to enforce this order any violence was resorted to I am not aware of it, and I am disposed to believe that Mrs. Sotomayor is exaggerating the whole affair.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

September 23, 1907


Boy of Eight Shoots a Companion of

A toy pistol owned by David Henry Butler, 13 years old, looked pretty and harmless to his 8-year-old guest, Alva Givens, as it lay in a drawer yesterday afternoon at the Butler home, 1520 Virginia avenue. Alva took out the weapon, looked it over curiously and pulled the trigger. A 22 BB bullet entered young Butler's abdomen. An ambulance was called and the wounded boy was removed to University hospital. The child who fired the shot, with a companion, Carl Hotzier, scampered to the latter's home, 1526 Virginia avenue.

Dr. J. M. Singleton was called and probed for the bullet, but did not locate it. No serious results are anticipated.

Young Givens is the son of Mrs. Joseph Givens, Quincy, Ill., who is visiting her sister, Mrs. Charles Hotzier.

Labels: , , , , ,

June 27, 1907


Mr. and Mrs. Heslip in Car and
Runaway Accident.

As County Marshal Heslip and his wife were driving south on Oak street, crossing Nineteenth street, at 6 o'clock last evening, their buggy was struck by an eastbound Vine street car and nearly overturned. Mr. Heslip was thrown out and the horses turned and ran east on Ninetenth street.

A hundred yards east of the scene of the collision Mrs. Heslip fell out over the back of the buggy. Her dress caught and she was dragged fifty feet. She suffered a sprained shoulder and many bruises. Mr. Heslip was not hurt.

The team was stopped at a pile of dirt at the Nineteenth and Cherry street crossing. Mrs. Heslip was taken to the University hospital.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

February 8. 1907


Saloonkeeper Arrested
After Injury to a Traveling Man.

In a fight in the saloon of Charles Dittmar, Broadway and Southwest boulevard, yesterday afternoon, William E. Hines, a traveling salesman from New York, was so seriously cut that he had to be taken to the University hospital. Hines did not say what started the trouble, but said it was Dittmar who struck him. He was hit with a beer glass and received a deep cut two inches long on the left side of the face, a cut an inch long under his left eye and a number of small cuts and bruises about the head and face.

Dittmar was arrested and taken to No. 3 police station, a few blocks distant, where he was released on his personal recognizance.

Labels: , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

The Son of Jesse James is Accused of a Train Robbery at Leeds ... Can he get a fair trial in Kansas City?
The Trial of Jesse James, Jr.

>>More KC Books<<

As an Amazon Associate this site may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory