Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

February 9, 1910


Traveler Tears Ticket to Bits and
Scatters Them Over His Person.

Joe Lamford, who claims Seattle, Wash., as his residence, spent several hours yesterday trying to pass through the Union depot gates on a tattered ticket. He explained that on his arrival here last Friday he had torn his ticket for Oklahoma City into small pieces and placed them in different pockets to prevent "lifting." Then according to his story he took in Union avenue. After a few days in the workhouse, he tried to get his ticket together. When he presented the various portions in an envelope yesterday, he was given the option of buying another ticket or counting the ties to Oklahoma City.

Labels: , , , ,

January 8, 1910


Parole Board Rules She Is
"Lord and Master" in
Kitchen Affairs.

In an effort to make his wife obey, as she had promised to do when he married her nine months ago, J. M. Hall, stock clerk for the Great Western Manufacturing Company, 1221 Union avenue, landed him self into the workhouse on a $300 fine three days after Christmas -- during the most joyous week of last year. The "you must obey your master" stunt took place at the Hall home at St. Clair station, near Mount Washington.

A. B. Coulton, manager of the Great Western Manufacturing Company, appeared before the board of pardons and paroles at the workhouse yesterday and asked for Hall's parole. William Volker, president of the board, then looked over the testimony which was given in the municipal court when Hall was convicted and given the highest fine in the power of the court. It ran something like this:


Charged with disturbing the peace. Wife appeared to prosecute him. She said that ever since their marriage last March he has been dictatorial and domineering and insisted that she obey him as she promised. The day of his arrest he went into the kitchen and, seeing the stove door open, told her to close it. She did not want the door closed and told him so. Then he demanded that she stoop and close the door and she flatly refused.

"Then I'll teach you to obey as you promised," he said. With that Mrs. Hall testified, he grabbed her by the wrist and forced her to her knees demanding that she obey him. Still she refused. Then she was thrown back so as to strike a couch with her back. She did not shut the stove door. Couple have been married since March, 1909. She said she started to leave him several times, but was induced to return.


Hall still thought he "had a right" in his own house to make his wife obey. He was obdurate until he found out that his parole hinged upon his apparent change of heart. Then he asked the board for terms. As Mrs. Hall soon will have to go to a s hospital the board provided that Hall pay over to L. H. Halbert, secretary to the board, $7.50 every Saturday night. That will be given to Mrs. Hall.

"Besides paying the $7.50 weekly," said Mr. Volker, "you absolutely must keep away from your wife. You also must report to the secretary once each week."

Hall, still defiant on the question of "obey," agreed meekly to the terms of parole. His employer, Mr. Coulton, said that a separate check would be made out to Secretary Halbert each week and Hall would be sent to deliver it. Hall will be released today.

"Before we parole anyone," explained President Volker to Hall, "we generally find out if he has any regrets for his actions; if he is sorry for doing the thing that caused his arrest. Are you?"

"I think I did as any husband should," said Hall calmly. "She refused to obey and I tried to make her. That's all."

"I see you have no regrets," said Mr. Volker, much in earnest. "I want you to know that I do not think there is provocation great enough for any man to strike a woman."


"But I did not strike her," insisted Hall. "I just tried to make her apologize and obey as any good wife should. What are you going to do when a woman absolutely refuses to obey?"

"If she refused to shut the stove door and I wanted it shut," said the board president, who is a single man, "I think I would quietly shut it. But if she wanted it left open I would leave it open. A woman knows more about a kitchen in a minute than a man does in a year. That is her domain; she reigns there as an absolute monarchy and a man has got no business going into the kitchen and telling the wife what to do. It's bound to cause trouble. Let her run the whole house. That's her place. You may run the rest of the earth if you choose, but think how puny, how little, how mean it is to force your wife to her knees by twisting her wrist simply because she would not 'obey her lord and master' and shut the stove door in a place where she, and she alone, has full command. I am not a believer in slang but I am forced to say that what you did might well be called 'butting in.' "

Labels: , , , , ,

December 18, 1909


The Millionaire Didn't Get a Chance
to Note City's Growth.

Cornelius Vanderbilt, whose friendship for George J. Gould, together with the latter's need for additional capital in the Missouri Pacific secured for him a place in the directorate of that road, was in Kansas City again for a few minutes yesterday morning, stopping for an inspection of the new Missouri Pacific freight house at Union avenue and Liberty street, while engines were being changed on the special train.

The new Missouri Pacific director, while not at all a talkative man, expressed disappointment at not being able to take a trip over the city and view the growth of it since his last visit here, about eight years ago.

"I am coming back to see your city in the spring," said Mr. Vanderbilt, "and I may invest in your new terminal bonds."

Labels: , , ,

November 25, 1909


Isaac Smith, Also Civil War Veteran,
Dies Alone.

Sitting in a chair, wrapped in a bed quilt, his head hanging over on his chest as if he had but fallen asleep, Isaac Smith, an old soldier and Missouri river navigator 76 years of age, was found dead in a room at 1820 Union avenue about 8 o'clock last night. The old man had been placed in the room about 10 a. m. by his son, William Smith, an employe of the Bemis Bag Company. the coroner said life appeared to have been extinct five or six hours . The body was sent to the Carroll-Davidson undertaking rooms, where an autopsy will be held later.

The son was taken in charge by an officer and taken to No. 2 police station where he made a statement. He said that his father's condition was such about 10 a. m. that he should not be on the street. In taking him to the room, which the old man previously occupied, he fell on the stairway, making a slight abrasion on the nose and causing the nose to bleed freely for a time.

Washing off the blood, the son said, he placed his father in the chair, covered him securely with the bed quilt and left. When he returned at 8 p. m. the old man was in the same position in which he had been left, but life had flown. The dead man had been an inmate of the National Soldiers' Home at Leavenworth, Kas. The coroner does not think an inquest will be necessary.

Labels: , , , , ,

October 13, 1909


Crowd Sees Foaming Ale Wasted.

A beer wagon, driven by Samuel Kroyousky of 1527 West Ninth street was struck by a Wabash train last night at Union avenue and Hickory street and was practically demolished. The barrels of liquor were broken open and a stream of beer poured into one of the catch basins. A big crowd gathered and watched the foaming beer escape.

The driver and team escaped injury.

Labels: , , , , ,

October 4, 1909

ESTATE WORTH $3,000,000.

Much in Kansas City and Nearby
Realty -- Gifts to City More Than

It is conservatively estimated that Colonel Thomas Swope's estate amounts to more than $3,000,000. With keen foresight he acquired many years ago lands in what is now the heart of the business section of Kansas City, and it is in such properties that the greater part of his fortune was made and is now invested.

Some of the more important properties included in the estate are:

The lot and block at the southeast corner of Eleventh and Grand, occupied by the Keith Furniture Company; the northeast corner of Twelfth and Walnut, occupied by McClintock's restaurant and other business firms; the Majestic theater building; the three-story building at 915 Walnut, the two-story building at 1017-1019 Main street, occupied by the Carey Clothing Company and other firms. The business blocks at 916-918-918 1/2 Main, occupied by the Snyder Dry Goods Company and the Seigelbohm Jewelry Company; the seven-story building at the southeast corner of Eighth and May, occupied by the Burnham, Hanna, Munger Company, the three-story building at 419 Walnut, occupied by a commission firm; the two-story building at 1012 East Fourth street, occupied by a commission company; the building at the southeast corner of Union avenue and Mulberry streets, occupied by the Union Avenue bank; the five-story warehouse at the northwest corner of Mulberry and Eleventh; the two-story brick building at the southeast corner of Twelfth and Hickory, used as a warehouse.


There are other and less important properties in various parts of the city, beautiful family homes at Independence, Mo.

The out-of-town property owned by Colonel Swope consists of the 240-acre tract occupied by the Evanston Golf Club, bounded on the east by Swope parkway, the north by Sixty-third street, the west by Prospect avenue and the south by Sixty-seventh street, a 320-acre tract east of and adjoining Swope park, a 50-acre tract on the north of the park, a 400-acre farm near Columbia, Tenn., improved property in Knoxville, Tenn. and Middleboro, Ky, and vacant property in Syracuse, N. Y., Lawrence, Kas. and Topeka, Kas.

Colonel Swope also owned some mining claims near Butte, Mont., the value of which cannot be estimated. He recently said that if he were a young man, he could take one of the claims and dig a fortune out of it. He evidently believed that the claims were very valuable.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

July 3, 1909


Marriage of Adeline De Mare and
Henry Charles Augustus Somerset
in England is Confirmed

Carefully guarding the fact that he was of a titled English family, Henry Charles Augustus Somerset, son and heir of Lord Henry Somerset, wooed and won Mrs. Adeline De Mare, the Kansas City girl whose marriage to the nobleman was announced last Tuesday on postcards received by her friends and relatives in this city.

Letters received yesterday by the young woman's father, Craig Hunter, a railway labor agent with offices at 1002 Union avenue, confirm the report that his new son-in-law is the son of courtship which culminated in the marriage in London of June 16. The story, as told by Mrs. Hunter, who was with her daughter when the ceremony was performed, is that Mr. Somerset was attracted by Mrs. De Mare while the two were staying at the same hotel in Paris last winter. He did not tell Mrs. De Mare at that time that he was the son of Lord Somerset, merely representing himself to be a civil engineer of English birth.

When it became known that Mrs. De Mare and the English nobleman were to wed, there were protests from various sources. Mrs. Hunter did not wish to sanction the marriage, for she knew how strongly Mr. Hunter opposed the marriage of American girls to titled foreigners. Somerset's mother, Lady Henry Somerset, the famous temperance leader and suffragist, did not want her son to marry an American. She went so far as to declare that she would cut her son off "without a penny." This did not worry the son in the least, for he had inherited a comfortable fortune from his grandmother, the Duchess of Beaufort. So, in spite of these objections the Englishman and the American girl were wed and now they are spending a happy honeymoon in Switzerland. They probably will reside in England where Mr. Somerset has a palatial home.

Mr. Hunter, while much displeased because of the choice of his daughter, was relieved to a great extent when was informed that there was nothing "bogus" about the title or social standing of his new son-in-law.

"I would much rather Adeline had married a good, plain American," he said, "but it's all over now and I guess I have no kick coming. I fear, however, that Adeline will not be happy if Lord and Lady Somerset are so opposed to an American coming into their family."

Henry Somerset is 35 years of age and a widower. He has a daughter 9 years of age. Mrs. De Mare was 21 years of age last September. She was the widow of Professor Georges De Mare, the artist who lost his life in the fire which destroyed the University building, Ninth and Locust streets, May 8, 1907.

Labels: , , , ,

July 2, 1909


Traveler Bound From Colorado to
West Virginia.

A man about 32 years old died sitting in a chair at the Union depot at 8:30 last night. In his pockets were found two letters which caused J. E. Trogdon, deputy coroner, to think his name was R. L. Peters. A ticket from Pueblo, Col, to Sutton, W. Va., and $3.40 in change were also found. The body was taken to O'Donnell's undertaking rooms to await claimants. The hands and clothing were those of a workman.

A chambermaid inspecting the rooms of the Traveler's hotel at 1034 Union avenue at noon yesterday found the body of an elderly man who had signed himself John Jones on the register, lying dead across his bead. The coroner was notified. Deputy Coroner J. E. Trogdon viewed the body, found no means of identification and ordered it taken to the Wagner undertaking establishment.

The dead man was about 65 years old, had a full beard but no mustache and a deformed right foot. He signed at the hotel according to the register June 29.

Labels: , , , ,

June 30, 1909



Post Cards Bear Announcement of
Marriage of Mrs. Adeline De
Mare to Henry Somerset
in England.
Mrs. Adeline De Mare, Widow of Professor Georges De Mare.
Who May Be Lady Somerset.

Post cards bearing the announcement of the marriage in London, England on June 16 of Mrs. Adeline De Mare of Kansas City, widow of Professor Georges De Mare, the artist who lost his life in the fire which destroyed the University building in this city in 1907, have given rise to the belief on the part of the friends and relatives of the young woman that she has wedded Henry Charles Somers Augustus Somerset, the son of Lord Henry Richard Charles Somerset, husband of Lady Henry Somerset, the famous temperance leader and suffragist.

According to the meager information conveyed by the postals, which were received from England yesterday by the father of the girl, Craig Hunter, a railway contractor with offices at 1002 Union avenue, and Mrs. Herman Lang, 3901 Forest avenue, a close friend of the family, Mrs. De Mare was married to a Henry Somerset in London on June 16. Partly through the way the announcements were worded and more through the presumption of those who received the announcements, the report was started that the Somerset in question is the son of the nobleman. Neither Mr. Hunter nor Mrs. Lang was in a position to confirm the report last night, but both were anxiously awaiting more information, which is expected to arrive by letter in a few days.


Mr. Hunter is not pleased with the thought that perhaps his daughter has become the wife of the son of an English nobleman.

"I sincerely hope that Adeline has not married into a titled family," he said yesterday. "I have always talked against such marriages, and if she has married Lord Somerset's son, she has acted directly contrary to any wish of mine. A good, plain American boy is my choice."

Mrs. De Mare, who graduated from the Central high school in the spring of 1905, married Professor Georges De Mare, head of the art department of the school, in December, 1906. Professor De Mare the following May was killed in a fire which destroyed the University building at Ninth and Locust streets. The death of her husband greatly preyed upon the mind of Mrs. De Mare and in order that she might be benefited by a change of scene she was sent to Paris to school in September, 1907.

She took up a course of study at the Sorbonne, the University of Paris. She was a proficient artist in instrumental music and completed a course in that study last spring. Last September her mother, Mrs. Hunter, went to Paris to return with Mrs. De Mare to America when her school work was completed. Mrs. Hunter and her daughter were to have sailed for America today form Naples. The plans of Mr. Hunter to meet them at New York are upset by the unexpected announcement of the daughter's marriage in London.


"Adeline's marriage was a complete surprise to me," said Mr. Hunter. "I received a letter from my wife two weeks ago in which she said that an Englishman by the name of Somerset was madly in love with the girl, but I did not think seriously of it. I did not think, either, that it might be a member of the Lord Somerset family. But now that I compare the meager descriptions I have received of the man with those of the son of the lord, I am firmly convinced that they are one and the same person.

"Mrs. Hunter said that the Mr. Somerset who was paying attention to my daughter was a widower and had a little daughter about 9 years of age. Henry Somerset, they tell me, was married in 1896 to the daughter of the Duke of St. Albans and should be at this time about the age of the man who married my daughter. He has been making his home in Paris for some time, so I guess there may be something to the report of my son-in-law being of a titled family. I hope, however, that it is not true."

Mrs. De Mare was 21 years old last September. She is a beautiful and talented woman and was very popular in the younger social set in Kansas City.

Eastnor Castle, near Ledbury in Herefordshire England

Somewhat eventful has been the history of the Somerset family. Nor has its domestic relations been of the happiest. The present Lady Somerset was married at the age of 18, after a brief season at court. The match between Lady Isobel and Lord Henry Somerset was arranged by the young girl's mother, and Lady Isobel's dowry was welcome to Lord Henry.

Two years after the wedding the only child, Henry Charles Augustus Somerset, was born. During those two years of married life there had been frequent ruptures between husband and wife with the result that divorce was frequently discussed by each. Shortly after the birth of the son the courts of England granted a divorce and gave the mother custody of the child.

For a while Lady Somerset kept up her social activities, but Queen Victoria looked into the causes of divorce and placed the social ban upon that immediate branch of the Somerset family. In June of 1902, however, King Edward, his wife and sister, Princess Beatrice, restored Lady Henry Somerset to court favor. This action on the part of King Edward occasioned favorable comment on the part of the British public and press.


When Lady Henry fell into disfavor with the court she retired and lead a sequestered life, teaching her boy. Later she sent her son to Harvard university, from which institution he graduated.

Henry Somers Somerset was married in 1896 to Katherine De Vere Beaucher. There had been no news in America of a divorce or of the wife's death. She has been described as a very beautiful woman and a prime favorite of the Somerset's.

Lady Henry Somerset has been long identified with socialism and temperance work. At the present time she is the president of the world organization of the W. C. T. U. She has spent large sums of money to alleviate the distress occasioned by drink among the men and women of England. She has written many books upon the subject of temperance and has become widely known.

Lord Henry Somerset, the divorced husband, has been lost from sight and there is no record of his death.

Henry, the son, who is said to have married Mrs. De Mare, is 35 years old.

Labels: , , , , , ,

June 20, 1909


List of Friday Night's Victims Re-
ported to Police.

Petty thieves and pickpockets were unusually busy Friday night and many robberies were reported to the police. In most cases, cash was taken. This list follows:

E. M. Dallas, 1026 Union avenue, lost diamond stud valued at $100 on Minnesota avenue car.

R. J. Nye's saloon, 1934 Grand avenue, cash register opened and $50 taken.

Miss Olive McCoy, 1035 Penn street, had pocketbook containing $30 stolen from her desk in the Great Western Life Insurance office.

Paul Witworth, 1111 East Eighth street, $40 taken from dresser drawer.

Samuel Levin, 1008 East Thirty-first street; dye works entered and $200 worth of clothes taken.

George Hayes, 1818 Oak street reported that he was slugged and robbed of $21 at Eighteenth and mcGee streets.

Floyd Swenson, 1810 Benton boulevard, reported that his residence was entered and money and jewelry aggregating $150 was taken.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

March 23, 1909


Farmer Slept in Rear of Saloon and
Was Touched.

When Farmer Gus Peterson of Topeka, Kas., strayed from the glare of the Union depot last night and started for a little stroll along Union avenue he merrily jingled three golden eagles in his pocket. Two hours later when he awoke from a troubled sleep in the rear of a Union avenue saloon all he could find was a bunch of keys. He remembers going into the saloon to have a drink with two "nice appearin' gents."

Peterson reported his loss to the police at No. 2 station and wired home for money.

Labels: , , , , , ,

December 19, 1908


R. L. Adams Put His Handicraft to
a Dishonest Use.

R. L. Adams, Baltimore, Md., expert key maker by trade and vagrant and thief by occupation, appeared in the municipal court yesterday charged with vagrancy. Thursday afternoon he was standing in front of the drug store of George Eysell on Union avenue looking at the window display.

The telephone operator unlocked the Bell telephone box and took the money out while Adams was watching him. The key used in the operation is a combination lock key, but the eagle eyes of Adams took in the various cuts and he reproduced the key. That evening he entered the drug store and unlocked the box and extracted 10 cents, all of the money it held.

While he was busy with the telephone box a clerk called in two policemen, who chased Adams through the rear door and caught him. He was sent to the workhouse under a fine of $50, which was imposed on him by Judge Kyle.

Labels: , , , , , ,

December 16, 1908


And a Policeman Got to C. C. Mc-
Burney Before a Thief.

Because he was found by the police before an "alley rat" got to him, C. C. McBurney is still in possession of $611 and a homeseekers' excursion ticket to Clarksville, Tex. That is, these will be restored to him when he recovers from the condition under which he was laboring when found last night.

He evidently had come in yesterday and, while waiting for his train, indulged too freely in patronage of the thirst parlors along Union avenue. As a patrolman was going down the alley behind the avenue, he stumbled upon McBurney lying there "too full for utterance." He was taken to station No. 2 for safe keeping.

Labels: , , ,

September 28, 1908


Man From Arkansas Stepped Out to
Get Buttermilk.

"I don't for the life o' me see how anybody could a took 'em," complained a man from Evening Shade, Ark., to Lieutenant Edward F. Burke of police station No. 2.

"You see," he went on, "I put my grip down on a seat at the Union depot and my umbrell' on top of it. Then me and a friend o' mine went across Union avenue for a drink o' buttermilk. When we got back the things wasn't there -- and we hadn't been gone more'n twenty minutes."

The lieutenant thought it best not to blight the fresh unsophistication of the Arkansawyer and so kept his opinion to himself.

Labels: , , , , , ,

August 13, 1908


Three Doctors Tie Up Visitor and
Call Police.

Last week David Casebeer fell out of an upstairs window in a Union avenue rooming house about 1 o'clock in the morning and landed on a pile of empty beer cases, breaking his right arm and bruising himself. Last night his brother Albert called at the city hospital and asked to see him. As the hour for visitors had passed Dr. Paul B. Clayton refused to admit him to the ward. Casebeer then exhibited an order signed by Andy O'Hare, a detective, asking that he be allowed to see the man. A row followed, during which Casebeer struck Dr. Clayton. Dr. C. L. Beeching and another interne then joined in the fray and after a lively contest in which the furniture suffered the most, tied him with ropes and held him for the police.

A wagon from the Walnut street police station was called and Casebeer was escorted to the station in charge of Patrolman Smith Cook. On the way to the station Casebeer tried to take the officer's club from him and Cook was compelled to give him a slap with his open hand, which made him take the count. A charge of disturbing the peace will be placed against him in police court this morning.

Labels: , , , ,

July 3, 1908


Seven Foreigners Had Trusted Harry
Burton With $50.

The police are searching for a Harry Burton, about 60 years old, 5 feet 6 inches tall, complexion ruddy and mustache gray. At 1018 Union avenue there are seven Italians who mourn his disappearance. They say that he brought them here from Chicago on the promise of putting them to work. They allege that he gave them the slip at the Savoy hotel. When he left he took with him $50 belinging to the foreigners, they tearfully allege.

Labels: , , , ,

June 19, 1908


State Employment Agent Says
"Avoid Advertised Localities."

"We are directing about 150 applicants where to go to get the harvest every day," said K. F. Schweiser, superintendent of the state free employment bureau, yesterday. "Since we can not transport the men out ourselves our usefulness is limited to some extent this year. We cannot tell how many are actually going to the fields. Up to date we have directed 1,017 men. We expect to handle 2,000 men between the 20th and the 25th of June. I have received more than 150 letters from groups of men in the East, particularly college students, asking about the harvest, and I directed them all to come to Kansas City about June 20.

"Right here I would like to say a word of warning against a certain class of private employment agencies. A man who runs a Union avenue agency came into my office yesterday and asked me to tell him where to send men to reach the harvest. He explained that he could make a very neat sum in fees by retailing the information to the workingmen who frequented the district where his office is located. In other words he was going to make the workingmen pay for information we dispense for nothing.

"I would like also to warn men intending to go to the fields from communities which advertise. Last year the mayor of one Kansas town came here, and by advertising induced many to go to his part of the country. He sent many more than were needed and the farmers were then able to squeeze down wages very low. If you want to go to the fields come to the state employment bureau and I will direct you to the best place, for I have the latest and best information, and it's free."

Labels: , ,

March 21, 1908


Injured Man Was Locked Up in a
Cell Without Treatment.

J. K. Mannois, 63 years old, a cigar merchant of Ottawa, Kas., went to the emergency hospital yesterday morning for treatment. His lower lip was cut through, his face badly bruised and swollen and a tooth was missing. Dr. W. L. Gist attended him.

Mannois said that he arrived in the city Thursday night when he was attacked on Union avenue and robbed of $15 and a gold watch valued at $40. He said that while dazed from his injuries he was taken in charge by the police and locked up at No. 2 station, 1316 St. Louis avenue, as a "drunk" who had fallen and come in contact with the pavement. He said he had started for Kansas City, Kas., when attacked by men who had seen him leave a Union avenue restaurant.

Labels: , , , , , ,

October 22, 1907



"Parents Separated" the Burden of
Pathetic Stories Heard by Judge
McCune -- Many Sent to

"Parents separated" was the brief but sadly expressive story borne by a majority of the cases that came before Judge McCune at the regular session of the juvenile court yesterday. After it was added the pitiful detail of petty crime and wrong doing that the developments in the case showed was, in most cases, "born in the flesh and bred in the bones" of the young offenders present.

Judge McCune was quick to grasp the threads that led unmistakably back and beyond the little culprits before him, and "another chance" was the rule rather than the exception.

Ben Moore, who stood head and shoulders taller than his mother, was given a bad name by Chief Probation Officer Mathias, which is an unusual occurrence. "He is just a loafer," he told the court, "and in spite of our best efforts will not be anything else. We have found him jobs and helped him time and time again, but it is no use; he is a bad lot. His father and mother are separated and the woman can do nothing with him."

The mother, with tears streaming down her face, acknowledged the truth of the officer's assertions, and the boy was sent to the Boonville reform school for four years.

James Flaigle was accused of being a truant. He said his father wanted him to work in his store on Union avenue and the court was in possession of a letter bearing out the assertion. His father thought the experience of the store would be enough of an education, but Judge McCune could not see it in that light, and the youngster was ordered to go to school, which he smilingly promised to do.


Henry Reisner ran away from his home in St. Louis because, he said, his father abused his mother. He came to Kansas City and was gathered in by the police while wandering about the streets. He didn't seem much interested in the proceedings pertaining to himself, anyway, and the court decided to send him home.

A West Prospect place woman was present to say that her son, who is on parole for past misdemeanors, was too ill to attend the court. When the court officers commented upon the mother's strong odor of whiskey, she calmly told the court that she had "inherited that breath." Judge McCune was moved to remark that he had heard of its being acquired in every other way but by inheritance. The woman finally departed, explaining things to herself after everyone else had refused to listen.

Charles Riggs, 13 years of age, 4322 East Fourteenth street, was up or the fourth or fifth time for violating his parole, playing hookey and numerous other bad things. His father and mother have separated, and the latter was in court to defend her son. Judge McCune said he must go to Boonville, and the mother said he shouldn't. When the court finally threatened to have her locked up if she did not stop her interference she allowed the child to be led away.


Fred Corp of Wichita came to Kansas City with a load of cattle. He had nothing to do with cattle but just came along to see the sights and have a good time. Upon his arrival he got separated from the men he came with and the police picked him up at 3 'clock Thursday morning. He told the court of his experiences through many tears. When arrested he had $3.05 in his pockets. The necessary amount of this will be invested in a ticket for Wichita today.

Tony Lapentino, who has been behaving badly, and has claimed the attention of the court many times, was sent to Boonville for four years. Ethel Ackley, a sweet-faced girl of 9 years, whose mother is dead and whose father was charged with deserting her, will be provided for in some charitable institution.

Terrence Quirk, one of the boys who recently located and equipped with small arms a Wild West camp on the outskirts of the city, enrolled for the Boonville institution.

Ellen, Allen and Howard Collins, who were recently found in a destitute and suffering condition in the rear of the premises at 911 Paseo, will be cared for until other arrangements can be made at the North end day nursery. Their mother is in a hospital and the father incompetent to provide for his family.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

July 23, 1907


Stranger Said Doggett had Willed
Him Blossom House.

Patrolman Jack Farrell was called upon yesterday to take Albert B. Clanton, an aged man, from the Blossom house on Union avenue. The old man said where he had seen in the papers where Fred S. Doggett, proprietor of the hotel, had made a will making him sole beneficiary. He had come to "take charge and run the place," he said. Clanton also said that he was the owner of land at Hattiesburg, Miss.

When placed in charge of the Humane agent at the city hall, Clanton said he had a sister, Mrs. Bessie Bethea, 1759 Preston place, St. Louis, Mo. He will be held awaiting word from relatives.

Labels: , , , ,

April 15, 1907


Emporia Man Fights Over a Bar Bill
and Is Robbed of $40.

Louis Michelfelter, of Emporia, on his way to New York, engaged in a fight with Arthur Sparks, a Union avenue labor agent, in Frazier's saloon, 1018 Union avenue, Saturday afternoon. During the fight he was robbed of his pocketbook, containing $40 and a draft for $50, by a stranger in the saloon. Michelfelter and Sparks had been drinking together and a controversy arose over the payment of a 35 cent bar bill. John McAnany, who was in the saloon at the time, said that he saw the man take the pocketbook and go out a rear door of the saloon. McAnany claimed that he thought the man was a friend of Michelfelter, and said nothing about it until Michelfelter declared that he had been robbed.

The man said to have stolen the pocketbook is described as about 23 years old., dark complexioned, about 5 feet 7 inches tall, and weighing about 145 pounds. He is smooth shaven and wore a soft black hat.

The draft was made out by the Emporia State bank on a bank in New York City.

Labels: , , ,

March 17, 1907


It Brought a Handkerchief and a
Revolver From a Pocket.

It was a sneeze, a long, loud sneeze, too, that made all the trouble for Carey L. Miller, a machinist from Topeka, Kas. Miller was passing through the city yesterday on his way to Pennsylvania. He imbibed freely of Union avenue beverage. The beverage was so strong that it made Miller's eyes water and that caused him to sneeze.

When the sneeze came off Miller was making his way in a zig-zag fashion along Union avenue. The sneeze was a big one and required the use of a handkerchief to complete it. In dragging the handkerchief from his pocket, Miller also dragged out a revolver. When the "smoke wagon" struck the sidewalk Patrolman John Farrel was looking straight at Miller and at once proceeded to throw protecting arms around the stranger and to steer him into No. 2 police station.

There Miller gave the name of John Corbin. A charge of drunk and carrying concealed weapons was placed against him. If he is right good, however, and proves to be a "good fellow," the chances are that the concealed weapons charge will be wiped off the slate and only the plain drunk remain. This might be done for the reason that he is not a citizen of Kansas City.

Labels: , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

The Son of Jesse James is Accused of a Train Robbery at Leeds ... Can he get a fair trial in Kansas City?
The Trial of Jesse James, Jr.

>>More KC Books<<

As an Amazon Associate this site may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory