Find Kansas City Antiques and Collectibles at the Vintage Kansas City Marketplace ~ Own a Piece of Old KC

Vintage Kansas



Old News
Headlines and Articles from The Kansas City Journal

Business Office...4000 Main
City Editor.....4001 Main
Society Editor....4002 Main

Two cents. Subscription Rates:  By carrier, per week, 10 cents; per month, 45 cents.  By mail, daily and Sunday, one month, 40 cents; three months, $1.00; six months, $2.00; one year, $4.00.  Sunday only, six months, 75 cents; one year, $1.50.  Weekly Journal, 25 cents one year.

Like Vintage Kansas City on Facebook

As We See 'Em ~ Caricatures of Prominent Kansas Cityans

The Isis Theatre ~ Kansas City, Missouri

The History of Fairmount Park

Claims of Cancer Cured by Dr. Bye in Vintage KC Missouri

Special Cut Prices ~ Always the Same

Blogging Fusion Blog Directory

November 10, 1909



Coaster Wagon in Which Kelly and
Eugene Clemonds Were Riding
Hits Street Car -- One Boy
Dead, Other Dying.

Death ended a coasting ride which Kelly C. Clemonds, 15, and his brother, Eugene, 11, were enjoying when their little express wagon glided into the path of a streetcar yesterday evening. The boys received injuries, from which Kelly died an hour later, while but little hope is entertained for the recovery of Eugene.

Both boys resided at Grand Summit, Kas., and were here on a visit at the home of Mrs. James W. Roark, 2919 Flora avenue.

The accident occurred a few minutes before 6 o'clock at the intersection of Twenty-ninth street and Lynn avenue.

The boys had a small coaster express and had been running down the grade on Twenty-ninth street west from Woodland. They had made a number of trips and were laughing and shouting.

When they trudged up the hill when darkness was falling one of the boys suggested that they had had enough fun.

"Let's have just one more," said the other, and turning the wagon at the top of the slope they gave a run and boarding it whirled down at a rapid rate.

As they neared Lynn avenue car No. 555 of the Vine street line, in charge of Motorman Powers and Conductor Everhart, northbound, was approaching.

Pedestrians, attracted by the cheers of the boys, gave a warning cry. the boys, however, did not understand and the wagon kept ahead on its deadly course.

Not until they saw the car loom up before them did they realize their danger. They made a futile effort to swerve the wagon from its path, but were struck with terrific force.

An ambulance was summoned from No. 4 police station and hurried them to the general hospital.

Kelly died at 1:30 o'clock from internal injuries. Eugene, the younger brother, suffered a fracture of the skull, a fracture of the left arm and cuts and bruises. An operation was performed on the skull and the boy rallied, but the physicians have doubts about his recovery.

Dr. Czarlinsky will hold an inquest today.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

August 5, 1909


James R. Collier, Seriously Injured,
Is Found Unconscious in Street.

Lying on the side of the car track on Troost avenue, near Twenty-sixth street, James R. Collier, 75 years of age, was found unconscious last night. Mr. Collier's skull was fractured. His condition, as announced by Dr. C. Lester Hall last night, is exceedingly dangerous.

Mr. Collier was on his way to prayer meeting at the Troost Avenue Methodist church, which he attended regularly. It is thought that he stepped from a car while it was moving.

The janitor of the church saw the man lying in the street and called the attention of Rev. Edgar McVoy, the pastor. The two investigated and found the injured man to be Mr. Collier, whom the minister quickly recognized. It was then that Dr. Hall's services were requested, and the injured man taken to his home at 23 East Twenty-ninth street.

Mr. Collier lives with his son, T. P. Collier, an engineer, at the Twenty-ninth street address. He has not been in good health for some time.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

December 14, 1908



"When the Horse Moved Out," Said
One, "Me and My Old Woman
Moved In" -- Children Are Not
Allowed to Attend School.

If you are "broke" in conscience, as well as in purse, go out to unwashed Garfield court the first of the month and try to collect the rent. Some of the tenants might be gullible enough to succumb to your bluff, for as far as they know they are landlordless now, but are looking for the owner to turn up almost any time.

Approximately, Garfield court is near the corner of Twenty-ninth street and Southwest boulevard., but that is just a ruse to misdirect the feet of the unwary stranger. You get off the Rosedale car at Twenty-ninth street and ramble off in a general northwesterly direction, which y our pocket compass, if its needle is a well-trained one, will indicate. About this time you will run into a clothesline in complete apparel. Then off your port quarter across the Frisco tracks you will make out a champagne colored cow, tethered near a pile of garbage. You must next bear off in a course laying due sou'-by-sou'west, until an imposing looking woodshed is sighted. Be not deceived, for that is not your destination, but if you will only keep a few more feet you will have at last attained Garfield court-on-Turkey creek.


In name it sounds like a group of detatched apartments inhabited by the bon ton, and in fact Garfield court doesn't look so impossible when looking down between the row of eighteen houses which face each other. They are all two-storied, the lower half of stone and the upper of frame construction. But when you get around at the rear and look into some of the unoccupied houses your leniency fades.

The court is under the taboo of the board of education and all of the children, there are seventeen of them, hailing from the unsanitary row, have been barred from the Lowell school for bacteriological and kindred reasons. The tenement commissioners have been after the city health officers to adopt remedial measures in regard to this particular tenement for the past year, but the festive germs still hold high carnival there without molestation.


"What you goin' to do when the rent comes 'roun'?" is a question that doesn't bother the tenants in the least, and they live in blissful gratuity, rentally speaking. Thus ownerless, it should give rise to little wonder that the court is a good deal run down at the heels, from both physical and sanitary standpoints.

"What rent do you pay?" was asked o one of the more loquacious tenants.

He said, "I don't mind tellin' you, stranger, that we don't pay none, and we don't intend to pay any until the last gun's fired.

"Some time ago somebody came down the row, sayin' we'd have to get out, but that didn't amount to shucks. We just stayed here an' 're here yet.. Yes the other side of the row is fillin' up right fast and I guess they won't be any empty ones left, before long.


" 'Bout a year ago somebody had a horse in here, then they led him out on the railroad track and let a train run over him. I guess the fellow got damages all right. When the horse moved out, me and my woman moved in."

Most of the tenants said they had been there since the Armourdale flood. All of the houses are in wretched condition and it is hard to understand how they could have been allowed to run down, for with expenditure of a reasonable amount of money they could be put in habitable shape again. The cellars are filled with silt deposited by the overflow of Turkey creek and in every room of the unoccupied houses is indescribable filth.

The city water has been cut off on account of non-payment of bills, and the sanitation of the tenements consequently impaired. Dr. Charles B. Irwin, inspector under the tenement commission, is thoroughly aroused over the conditions and his report to the commission recommends immediate remedial measures.

Labels: , , ,

May 9, 1908


Returned to Smallpox Hospital After
a Jaunt About Town.

The two girls, Edna Sickler, 12, and Grace Kaufman, 13 years old, were returned to quarantine at St. George hospital near the Milwaukee bridge late last night. Edna Sickler was the first to arrive at 9 p. m., in company with her father, Edward Sickler. At 11:15 o'clock Grace Kaufman was taken back by the guard, Morris S. Sharp. Both girls escaped from quarantine where smallpox patients are confined and were gone thirty-four and thirty-six hours, respectively.

While the police were supposed to be looking for them a citizen who had seen their descriptions in Friday's Journal called up the smallpox hospital and told Dr. George P. Pipkin, in charge there, that he believed both girls were with the Kaufman girl's father at Twenty-ninth and Spruce streets.

The girls reported that they walked from the smallpox hospital to the end of the Fifth street line -- both had previously begged a nickel from their mothers -- and transferred until they had reached the vicinity of Twenty-ninth and Prospect. There, as if by prearrangement, they met Frank Kaufman, Grace's father. He took the girls with him to cut grass on Prospect avenue between Twenty-eighth and Twenty-ninth and took them home with him in the evening.

Dr. Pipkin said that Kaufman would be prosecuted for harboring a person with a contagious disease without reporting the fact. Kaufman told Sharp that the girls said they had been discharged.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

April 25, 1908


He Married Mrs. McAdams and Buys
No More Roses.

The mystery of why the roses ceased coming to Mrs. Helen E. McAdams, a deputy probation officer at the detention home office, was solved yesterday when the Rev. H. G. Maze of the Watt's Memorial church at Independence returned to the marriage license clerk a copy of Mrs. McAdams's certificate of marriage to W. W. Smith. Mrs. McAdams has been receiving a box of red roses daily for so long that no one remembers when the first one came. Tuesday there came for her a bushel of American Beauties and nary a rose since. Mrs. McAdam became Mrs. Smith Tuesday night. The bridegroom is an officer in the Builders' Sand Company. They will be home to friends at 3600 East Twenty-ninth street.

Labels: , , , ,

April 10, 1908



A Pickpocket and the Assailant of a
Little Girl Are Fined $500 Each,
Also -- Lecture to Heavy-
Handed Husband.

Judge Kyle celebrated re-election yesterday by assessing four $500 fines, two of them being against wife beaters, one a pickpocket and the fourth a man who had attempted to assault a little girl. It was the judge's first day on the bench since election.

W. D. Russell, 2223 Campbell street, was fined $500 for beating his wife and putting her, with a 3-weeks-old baby in her arms, out of the house. Mrs. Russell's mother was also put out.

When Patrolman Noland was called he tried to effect a compromise. He told Mrs. Russell to go back into the house and see what Russell would do. Russell had gone to bed intoxicated, the officer said, and immediately began to curse and abuse his wife when she awakened him.

Mrs. A. Burgis of the Associated Charities said that Mrs. Russell had supported herself and baby, and husband, too, for a long time by making bed quilts, having made and sold twenty of them. When Russell insisted that he had paid the rent Mrs. Burgis said: "Not much you didn't. We paid part and your wife the rest." Russell is a big, strapping man and his wife a small woman. She was too weak and sickly to appear in court, but the officer and Mrs. Burgis did the work. His fine was $500.

The next wife beater to meet his fate was Fred Scraper of 313 East Eighteenth street. He was arrested by Patrolman McCarthy after he had raised a disturbance at his home. Mrs. Scraper and her little daughter both testified against Scraper.

"My wife irritates me," Scraper said. "The other night I went home with the earache and the toothache. Any man might slap a woman at such times."

"There is no excuse on earth great enough to cause a husband to lay even his hand upon his wife in anger. Your fine is $500," said Judge Kyle. Scraper was fined $15 on March 10 for disturbing the peace at home and given a stay conditioned on good behavior. He has been in police court many times for the same offense. He is an upholsterer's solicitor.

When Philip Packard was arraigned on a technical charge of vagrancy Sergeant James W. Hogan testified that on election night in a crowd in front of a newspaper office he had caught Packard in the act of picking a man's pocket. Bertillon records show that Packard had served a term in the penitentiary at Pontiac, Ill., and many workhouse sentences. He did not deny it. On December 21 last, under the name of Milton Steele, Packard was sent to the workhouse for attempting to pick a man's pocket in a pool hall. He was released April 1. Judge Kyle assessed $500 against Packard.

A man giving the name of J. H. McCleary, a news agent, was the last victim. He was charged with disturbing the peace. George W. Banfield, a contractor of Twenty-ninth and Flora, told how his little girl had been insulted by McCleary. Some little girls were hunting four-leaf clovers in old Troost park. When McCleary placed his hands on Mr. Banfield's daughter the girls ran and screamed. Banfield chased McCleary several blocks, caught him and turned him over to the police. McCleary was fined $500.

All four of the men fined $500 rode to the workhouse, no attempts being made to get them out on appeal bonds. The fine means one year in the workhouse.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

August 7, 1907


Wrecked Popcorn Stand While Hurrying
With Guest to Wedding.

An automobile crashing into a popcorn wagon caused the serious injury of two little girls last night. The wrecked popcorn wagon fell on the children, cutting and bruising them.

Thomas J. Proue, a chauffeur for the Automobile Livery, 1113 Broadway, was driving to a wedding at Twenty-ninth street and Prospect avenue, Eastbound on Eighteenth street approaching Cherry, he met a sprinkling wagon. A little girl, while at play ran into the spray back of the wagon. The motor car slowed down, but when opposite the wagon the child darted back in its path. Proue swerved his machine south into Cherry street, but to save the child, the turn had to be too shortto avoid smashing the popcorn wagon.

John Carle, the wagon's owner, went down under the shattered glass of his little cage, and escaped without injury. But two little girls, Annie and Jenny Myerson, of 1723 Oak street, were not so fortunate. Annie, 8 years old, received a deep cut over the left eye and serious bruises. Jennie, two years older, was also seriously bruised.

Dr. G. A. Dagg, ambulance surgeon from No. 4 police station, attended them and sent them to their home. Proue, the chauffeur, waited at the scene of the accident till Officers Smith and Cook arrived with the ambulance, and then drove with the officers to the station. He was later released on $100 bond for his appearance in police court this morning.

The accident occurred at 8:15 o'clock, and many people were on the streets. When the popcorn and peanuts of the Italian vender were scattered over the ground there was a "help yourself" scramble, with several dozen participants. A. L. Morse, who was personal representative of Francis Murphy, the temperance worker, mounted a box and begged the crowd to stand back and treat the popcorn man as they would like to be treated. His address was received in good spirit, and the crowd helped Carle gather his wares together.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

January 14, 1907



Gained and Entrance by Prying Open a Window in the Dining Room.
Maid Asleep on an Upper Floor Was Not Disturbed.

When R. S. Crohn, public administrator, 100 East Twenty-ninth street, returned home from the theater with his wife and two daughters about 11:30 o'clock Saturday night he found the bolt on the front door had been set in such manner as to make it impossible to open the door excepting from the inside. He tried his night latch key in the door, but it would not open. For several minutes he fumbled about the door trying to effect an entrance. He then became convinced that some intruder had entered the house, as the bolt could only be set from the inside.

Mr. Crohn started toward the rear of the house, and on reaching the side yard saw a window into the dining room wide open. Without saying a word to his wife or daughters he climbed into the open window and went to the telephone and informed police headquarters. Then he made a search through the house, but found no one within, though there were indications on every hand of burglars having been present. After opening the front door and admitting his wife and daughters a more thorough search of the house was made.

In the dining room a pile of silverware lay on the table evidently prepared for removal. A dresser drawer in Mr. Crohn's room stood open, and a tin box in which considerable jewelry, especially heirlooms, and a collection of rare old coins was kept, was missing. The real value of the contents of the box to the family is inestimatable, but the market value is more than $1,000.

A hand shopping bag belonging to the eldest daughter, and containing $15 was taken from her room, and though there were several pieces of jewelry in the room they were not molested. In the second drawer of the dresser from which the tin box of jewelry was taken was some money, but the burglars evidently were frightened away before continuing their search of this drawer.

It is believed that the burglars were at work when Mr. Crohn was fumbling with the latch on the front door in trying to open it. Footprints in the sod below the window through which entrance to the house was had, showed distinctly the marks of two different pairs of shoes. Marks on the window showed that it had been pried open with a "jimmie."
The burglars had not been in the house a great while before Mr. Crohn's return home, as the maid who had been out during the evening, returned about an hour before, and when she entered the house, she went through the dining room, and at that time the window was closed. The made went directly to her room on the second floor and retired. She was asleep when Mr. Crohn and his family returned.

Detectives Lum Wilson and Alonzo Ghent were assigned to work on the case, but last night no arrests had been made.

Mr. Crohn has offered a reward of $250 for the return of the stolen articles.

Labels: , , , , , , ,


Get the Book
Vintage Kansas City Stories ~ Early 20th Century Americana as Immortalized in The Kansas City Journal
Kansas City Stories

Early Kansas City, Missouri

>>More KC Books<<

The History and Heritage of Vintage Kansas City in Books
Vintage Kansas
City Bookstore

Powered by Blogger

Vintage Kansas

Vintage Antique Classics ~ Vintage Music, Software, and more Time Travel Accessories

In association with
KC Web ~ The Ultimate Kansas City Internet Directory